03x01 - The Magnificent Seven

Episode transcripts for the TV show "Supernatural". Aired: September 2005 to November 2020.*

Moderators: thehoundandthebird, coco96

Watch/Buy Amazon  Merchandise

Two brothers follow their father's footsteps as "hunters" fighting evil supernatural beings of many kinds including monsters, demons, and gods that roam the earth.

03x01 - The Magnificent Seven

Post by bunniefuu »

3.01 The Magnificent Seven

Air Date: 4 Oct 2007

(Note: The intro footage for this episode is set to AC/DC's "Hell's Bells")

Teaser

Oak Park, Illinois

We pan over a dark suburban neighborhood street and focus in on one nicely kept house. A man in his thirties, with red hair and a beard, exits the house with a bag of garbage. He takes it out to the garbage cans and stuffs it in. As he walks back to the house, the garbage cans rattle. He stares, walking cautiously towards them. They continue to rattle; he looks up and sees a demonic cloud swirling over the Chicago skyline in the distance. Panicked, he runs back towards the house, but trips before he gets there. A tendril of demon smoke pours into his mouth. He opens his eyes; they are black. The now-possessed man stands, looking towards the rest of the demonic cloud now streaming towards chicago, and smiles.

ACT ONE

SUBTITLE: One Week Later

Sam is sitting in the Impala, reading a book. The header at the top of the page reads "Dr. Faustus". He looks up to see Dean inside the house across from him; he is wearing only an undershirt. Dean grins and gives Sam a double-thumbs up, at which Sam shakes his head, smiling fondly. A Hot Girl comes into frame from off right, and Dean shuts the curtains; they can be seen undressing each other in silhouette. Sam's phone rings.

Sam: Hello.

Bobby: (seen driving along another dark highway in his own b*at-up car)

Hey, Sam.

Sam: Hey, Bobby.

Bobby: What're you doing?

Sam: Oh, Same old, Same old.

Bobby: You buried in that book again?

(Sam pauses. Bobby grimaces)

Sam,you want to break Dean free of that demon deal, you ain't gonna find the answer in no book.

Sam: Then where, Bobby?

Bobby: Kid, I wish I knew. So,where's your brother?

Sam: (without missing a b*at)

Polling the electorate.

Bobby: What?

Sam: Never mind.

Bobby: Well, you boys better pack it up. I think I finally found something.

Sam hangs up. Inside the house, he knocks on the bedroom door, opening it slowly.

Sam: Dean?

(he enters the room)

Dean, you -- you conscious? Bobby called, and he thinks that maybe we --

(he stares in horror)

Oh, god.

Later, Sam and Dean are in the Impala, Dean driving.

Sam: Let me see your Kn*fe.

Dean: What for?

Sam: So I can gouge my eyes out.

Dean: It was a beautiful, natural act, Sam.

Sam: It's a part of you I never wanted to see, Dean.

Dean: (Chuckles, slaps Sam on the thigh)

Hey, I appreciate you giving me a little quality time with the Doublemint Twins.

Sam: (quietly)

No problem.

Dean: Really? Well,i got to say, I was expecting a weary sigh or an eye roll, something.

Sam: Not at all. You deserve to have a little fun.

Dean: Well, I'm in violent agreement with you there.

(Chuckles)

What's Bobby got?

Sam: Not much. Crop failure and a cicada swarm outside of Lincoln, Nebraska. Could be demonic omens.

Dean: Or could just be a bad crop and a bug problem.

Sam: Yeah, but it's our only lead.

Dean: Any freaky deaths?

Sam: No, nothing Bobby could find -- not yet,anyway.

Dean: It's weird,man. I mean, the night the devil's gate opened, all these weirdo storm clouds were sighted over how many cities?

Sam: Seventeen.

Dean: Seventeen. You think it would be "Apocalypse Now," but it's been five days and bubkis.

(Sam looks at him, startled. Dean pauses.)

What are the demons waiting for?

Sam: Beats me.

Dean: It's driving me crazy. I tell you, if it's gonna be w*r, I wish it would just start already.

Sam: I don't know, man. Be careful what you wish for.

The next morning, Dean and Sam pull up outside a farmhouse. Dean gets out munching on a hamburger. The air is filled with the sound of cicadas.

Sam: Hear those cicadas?

Dean: That can't be a good sign.

Sam: No. No, it can't.

Bobby: (greeting them)

So,we're eating bacon cheeseburgers for breakfast, are we?

Dean: Well, I sold my soul. Got a year to live. I ain't sweating the cholesterol.

Sam: So, Bobby, what do you think? We got a biblical plague here or what?

Bobby: Well, let's find out. Looks like the swarm's ground zero.

Dean: (pounding on the farmhouse door)

Candygram!

They pick the lock and open the door; Dean enters first, Sam behind him with a g*n drawn. They cover their noses in disgust.

Sam: That's awful.

Dean: That so can't be a good sign.

They creep through the house; stopping in the second room, they can hear what sounds like panicked screams.

Sam: You hear that?

They kick open the next door; the sounds turn out to be coming from a television set; a family of three is seated on the couch, several days dead. Sam and Dean recoil at the increased stench.

Sam: Oh, my god.

Bobby enters through the other side of the room and also recoils in horror.

Sam: Bobby, what the hell happened here?

Bobby: I don't know.

Dean: Check for sulfur.

Bobby: Yeah.

The three of them investigate the room; Dean hears a noise out front and signals to the others taht he's going to go check it out. Bobby and Sam circle around the other direction.

Out front, Dean exits cautiously, g*n drawn, and looks around. As he comes around the house he is knocked to the ground by a man with a shotgun: ISAAC. His wife, TAMARA, comes up behind him.

Bobby: (coming up from the other side)

Isaac? Tamara?

TAMARA

Bobby. What the hell are you doing here?

Bobby: I could ask the Same.

ISAAC

Heya, Bobby.

Dean: (raising an arm pitifully from the ground)

Hello. Bleeding here.

INT. ISAAC AND TAMARA's PLACE

Dean: (on the phone, off-camera)

Jenny! That is a beautiful name. That's my sister's name, actually.

(continues)

ISAAC

Honey? Where's the Palo Santo?

TAMARA

Well, where'd you leave it?

ISAAC

I don't know, dear. That's why I'm asking.

Sam: Palo Santo?

TAMARA

It's holy wood, from Peru. It's toxic to demons like holy water. Keeps the bastards nailed down while you're exorcising them.

She digs in a bag and pulls out a large, pointed stake. She hands it to Isaac with an affectionate smile.

ISAAC

Thank you, dear.

TAMARA

You'd lose your head if it wasn't for me.

Sam: So, how long you two been married?

TAMARA

Eight years this past june.

ISAAC

The family that slays together...

Sam: Right. I'm with you there. So, how'd you get started?

(awkward silence)

Oh,you know... I'm sorry. It's not -- that's none of my business.

TAMARA

It's -- it's all right.

Dean: (finishing up on the phone)

Well, Jenny, if you look as pretty as you sound, then i'd love to have an appletini.

(making a face)

Yeah. Call you.

(he hangs up and addresses the group)

That was the coroner's tech.

Sam: And?

Dean: Get this -- that whole family, cause of death? Dehydration and starvation. There's no signs of restraint, no v*olence,no struggle. They just sat down and never got up.

Bobby: But there was a fully stocked kitchen just yards away.

Sam: What is this, a demon att*ck?

Bobby: If it is, it's not like anything I ever saw, and I've seen plenty.

Dean: Well, what now? What should we do?

ISAAC

Uh, we'renot gonna do anything.

Sam: What do you mean?

ISAAC

You guys seem nice enough, but this ain't "scooby-doo," and we don't play well with others.

Sam: Well, I think we'd cover a lot more ground if we all worked together.

ISAAC

No offense,but we're not teaming with the damn fools who let the Devil's Gate get opened in the first place.

Dean: No offense?

TAMARA

(admonishing)

Isaac. Like you've never made a mistake.

ISAAC

Oh yeah, yeah. Locked my keys in the car, turned my laundry pink. Never brought on the end of the world,though.

Dean: All right. That's enough.

Sam: (quietly)

Guys,this isn't helping. Dean --

ISAAC

Look,there are couple hundred more demons out there now. We don't know where they are, when they'll strike. There ain't enough hunters in the world to handle something like this. You brought w*r down on us -- on all of us.

TAMARA

(pulling ISAAC away)

Okay. that's quite enough testosterone for now.

They leave the room. Later, Bobby looks out the window, then shuts the curtains. Out of the darkness beyond the house, a mysterious young woman (whose name we will find out much later is Ruby) steps into the light. She stares at the house, calculating.

INT. SHOP - DAY

The REDHEADED Man from the Teaser walks into a clothing shop. He approaches a blonde woman.

REDHEADED Man

Excuse me.

Blonde Woman

Yes?

RHM

(he places a hand on her shoulder and nods towards a shoe display across the room)

Those are...nice shoes.

Blonde

(looking)

Oh,yeah. They are nice.

She approaches the display, where a brunette woman is looking at a pair of green pumps. She stares at them covetously.

Blonde

Those are nice shoes.

BRUNETTE Woman

Aren't they?

Blonde

I want them.

BRUNETTE

Sorry. Last pair.

She takes them and goes to the register; Blonde Woman stares after her intesely.

EXT. STORE - DAY

The Blonde Woman follows the BRUNETTE Woman, who is now carrying a shopping bag, out to her car.

Blonde Woman

Excuse me. I want those shoes.

BRUNETTE Woman

What,are you crazy? No. What?

Blonde Woman att*cks, slamming BRUNETTE Woman's head into the windshield of her car. She cracks open her head and blood gushes out of her eye socket, staining the window. Blonde Woman takes the shopping bag and walks off, unconcerned.

END ACT ONE

ACT TWO

EXT. STORE - DAY

POLICEMEN are taking forensic evidence at the m*rder scene as Sam watches. He goes into the store.

INT. STORE - DAY

Dean is chatting up a witness.

Dean: What happened outside makes you realize how fragile life really is. You got to make every second count.

Sam approaches, clearing his throat.

Dean: Excuse me a minute, would you?

WITNESS

(leaving)

Sure.

Sam: Dean, what are you doing?

Dean: I'm comforting the bereaved. What are you doing?

Sam: Workin'. Dead body, possible demon att*ck -- that kind of stuff.

Dean: (coughing pathetically)

Sam, I'm sorry. It's just, I don't have much time left,and...got to make every second count.

Sam: (chastened)

Yeah, right. All right. Sorry.

Dean: Apology accepted.

Bobby enters - in a suit. His hair is slicked back. Dean and Sam look at him, impressed.

Dean: Whoa.

(whistles)

Looking spiffy, Bobby. What were you,a g-man?

Bobby: Attorney for the D.A.'s office. I just spoke to the suspect.

Sam: Yeah? so,what do you think? Is she possessed or what?

Bobby: Don't think so. There's none of the usual signs -- no blackouts, no loss of control. Totally lucid. Just,she really wanted those shoes. Spilled a glass of holy water on her just to be sure; nothing.

Dean: Maybe she's just some random whack job.

Bobby: If it had been an isolated incident,maybe, but first the family, now this? I believe in a lot of things. Coincidence ain't one of them. Did you boys find anything around here?

Sam: No sulfur,nothing.

Dean: Well,maybe something.

(he nods to a security camera in the ceiling)

See? I'm working.

INT. SECURITY ROOM

Sam is seated, watching the security footage, as Bobby and Dean hover.

Dean: Anything interesting?

Sam: I don't know yet. Might just be a guy...

(they watch the REDHEADED Man approach the Blonde Woman)

Or it might be our guy.

EXT. STORE - DAY

Sam leaves and walks up the street, hands in his pockets. Ruby (the mysterious young woman who had earlier watched the house) slips onto the street several paces behind him and follows. Sam senses that he's being followed, stops, and turns. She is gone.

EXT. BAR - NIGHT

Dean and Bobby are staking out a bar, sitting in Bobby's car.

Bobby: What time is it?

Dean: Seven past midnight.

Bobby: You sure this is the right place?

Dean: No. But i spent all day canvassing this stupid town with this guy's stupid mug, and,supposedly, he drinks at this stupid bar.

There is a loud pounding on the window; Bobby and Dean both jump. It is Sam, who grins at their discomfort and slips into the back seat.

Dean: That's not funny!

Sam: Yeah. Uh,all right,so -- so, John Doe's name is Walter Rosen. He's from Oak Park, just west of Chicago. Went missing about a week ago.

Dean: The night the Devil's Gate opened?

Sam: Yeah.

Dean: So you think he's possessed?

Sam: It's a good bet. So,what,he just walks up to someone,touches them, and they go stark raving psycho?

Bobby: Those demons that got out at the gate -- they're gonna do all kinds of things we haven't seen.

Sam: You mean the demons we let out?

Dean: (seeing something)

Guys.

REDHEADED Man gets out of his car and walks towards the bar.

Dean: All right. Showtime.

Bobby: Wait a minute.

Dean: What?

Bobby: What did I just say? We don't know what to expect out of this guy. We should tail him till we know for sure.

Dean: Oh,so he kills someone and we just sit here with our junk in our hands?

Bobby: We're no good dead! And we're not gonna make a move until we know what the score is.

Sam: Hey, Bobby, I don't think that's an option.

Bobby: Why not?

Sam nods, indicating another car that has just entered the lot: ISAAC and TAMARA get out and head towards the bar.

Bobby: Damn it!

INT BAR - NIGHT

A woman puts a song on the jukebox; the bartender slides a beer towards REDHEADED Man, who is sitting at the bar. At a table, a waitress sets down drinks for ISAAC and TAMARA.

ISAAC

Thanks a lot.

Waitress: You're welcome.

ISAAC pulls out a flask of holy water; TAMARA eyes him. REDHEADED Man walks past them towards the bathroom.

ISAAC

Pull the car in back. We'll be right out.

TAMARA

I love you.

ISAAC

I know.

As ISAAC heads towards the bathroom, the Bartender grabs his arm and stops him.

Bartender: What do you think you're doing?

ISAAC

I'm just hitting the head.

Bartender: No.

(He grabs the flask of holy water and tosses it aside)

I mean, what do you think you're doing here?

(His eyes flash black; TAMARA stands behind ISAAC and they both recoil in fear)

I don't like hunters in my bar.

The hunters turn to see the Waitress stalking towards them, and see that the rest of the employees and patrons have turned towards them. REDHEADED Man walks back out of the bathroom. He and everyone else in the bar close in around them; all have black demon-eyes.

There is a loud pounding on the door and everyone turns towards it.

EXT. BAR - NIGHT

Bobby and Dean slam themselves against the door, trying to force it open.

INT. BAR - NIGHT

REDHEADED Man

Man, you really walked into the wrong place.

END ACT TWO

ACT THREE

INT. BAR - NIGHT

Waitress: Hold on. I like the girl.

REDHEADED Man

Wish i had me a girl like that.

Waitress: I can think of about a thousand things i'd like to do to her.

ISAAC

You're not gonna lay one filthy finger on her!

PLAID-SHIRT-GUY

(approaching ISAAC)

I got something for you.

(he lifts a large bottle of drain cleaner)

Here. Have a drink on me, hmm?

TAMARA

(panicked)

Isaac?

REDHEADED Man

On the house!

TAMARA

(restrained by the Waitress)

Isaac!

ISAAC takes the bottle and begins pouring its contents down his throat, as TAMARA screams in the background and the demons cackle wildly.

TAMARA

Isaac,no! Baby,please!

ISAAC drains the bottle, shaking, and drops it to the floor. He gags in agony, foAmy liquid and blood bubbling out through his mouth. He chokes and collapses to the floor, dead.

REDHEADED Man

Oh, he's down!

(to TAMARA)

All right,honey. Your turn!

With a screech of tires, Bobby's car bursts through the front door of the bar. Dean, Sam, and Bobby get out, armed with holy water, which they fling violently into the crowd of demons. They back up and Sam grabs TAMARA, who is still screaming frantically for ISAAC.

Sam: Come on,we got to go! He's dead! Get in the car!

(seeing Dean still immersed in the fight)

Dean,come on!

Dean has entered combat with the REDHEADED Man; he opens the trunk just as he runs out of holy water; REDHEADED Man grins. Dean overpowers him and stuffs him in the trunk, which is inscribed with a Devil's TRAP. RHM screams. Dean tumbles into the front seat of the car.

Dean: Go, go, go, go, go, go, go, go!

INT. ISAAC AND TAMARA's - NIGHT

RHM is tied to a chair under a Devil's TRAP on the ceiling; in the next room, an argument is ongoing.

TAMARA

...and I say we're going back -- now!

Sam: Hold on a second.

TAMARA

I left my husband bloody on the floor!

Sam: Okay, I understand that, but we can't go back.

TAMARA

Fine. Then you stay. But I'm heading back to that bar.

Dean: I'll go with her.

Sam: It's su1c1de, Dean!

Dean: So what? I'm dead already!

Sam: How you gonna k*ll 'em? Can't sh**t 'em. You can't s*ab 'em. They're not just gonna wait in line to get exorcised!

TAMARA

I don't care!

Sam: We don't even know how many of them there are!

Bobby: (entering)

Yeah,we do. There's seven. Do you have any idea who we're up against?

Dean: No. Who?

Bobby: The seven deadly sins, live and in the flesh!

Dean: (pauses, grins)

"What's in the box?!"

(awkward silence)

Brad pitt? "Se7en"? No?

(Bobby tosses him a book)

What's this?

Bobby: "Binsfeld's classification of demons." In 1589, Binsfeld ID'd the seven sins -- not just as human vices but as actual devils.

Sam: The family -- they were touched by Sloth. And the shopper...

Bobby: That's Envy's doing -- the customer we got in the next room. I couldn't suss it out at first, until Isaac. He was touched with an awful Gluttony.

TAMARA

I don't give a rat's ass if they're the Three Stooges or the Four Tops! I'm gonna slaughter every last one of them!

Bobby: We already did it your way. You burst in there half-cocked and look what happened! These demons haven't been topside in half a millennium! We're talking medieval, dark ages! We've never faced anything close to this! So we are gonna take a breath...

(shouting)

And figure out what our next move is!

(quietly)

I am sorry for your loss.

INT. Demon-HOLDING ROOM

ENVY

(Chuckling)

So you know who I am,huh?

Bobby: We do. We're not impressed.

Sam: Why are you here? What are you after?

Dean: He asked you a question. What do you want?

ENVY Chuckles condescendingly; Dean opens a flask of holy water and splashes him.

ENVY

Ya! ohh! We already have what we want.

Dean: What's that?

ENVY

We're out. We're free. Thanks to you, my kind are everywhere. I am legion, for we are many. So me, I'm just celebrating. Having a little fun.

Sam: Fun?

ENVY

Yeah. Fun. See, some people crochet. Others golf. Me? I like to see people's insides... on their outside.

TAMARA

I'm gonna put you down like a dog.

ENVY

Please.

(laughs)

You really think you're better than me.

(laughs)

Which one of you can cast the first stone, huh? What about you, Dean? You're practically a walking billboard of gluttony and lust. And Tamara. All that wrath. Ooh. tsk,tsk,tsk. It's the reason you and isaac became hunters in the first place, isn't it? It's so much easier to drink in the rage than to face what really happened all those years ago.

Face twisted in anger, TAMARA smacks him, hard, until Dean and Bobby pull her back.

ENVY

Aah! Whew!

(laughs)

My point exactly. And you call us sins. We're not sins, man. We are natural human instinct. And you can repress and deny us all you want, but the truth is, you are just animals. Horny... greedy... hungry...violent animals. And you know what? You'll be slaughtered like animals, too. The others -- they're coming for me.

Dean: Maybe. But they're not gonna find you... 'cause you'll be in hell. Someone send this clown packing.

TAMARA

My pleasure.

(begins reading)

Exorcizamus te,

Omnis immundus spiritus,

omnis satanica...

As she continues, the others leave and ENVY screams.

INT. NEXT ROOM

Bobby: I don't think we're gonna have to worry about hunting them.

Sam: What does that mean?

Bobby: I think maybe this joker's right. They're gonna be hunting us. And they're not gonna quit easy.

Dean: You guys, why don't you take Tamara and head for the hills? I'll stay back, slow them down, buy you a little time.

Sam: You're insane, Dean. Just forget about it, okay?

Bobby: Sam's right.

Dean: There's six of them, guys. We're outmanned, we're outgunned. We'll be dead by dawn.

Bobby: Maybe, but there's no place to run that they won't find us.

Sam: Look,if we're going down, we're going down together, all right?

Dean: Then let's not make it easy for them.

From the other room, ENVY gives a final scream; the house shakes and a gust blows out the candles. TAMARA slams the book shut and comes into the other room.

TAMARA

Demon's out of the guy.

Sam: And the guy?

TAMARA

(coldly)

He didn't make it.

LATER,

Dean is seated on the floor with a row of candles behind him, loading a shotgun. Sam is across the room filling flasks with holy water. He looks over at Dean, who is looking back at him. They watch each other silently for a moment until the lights begin to flicker. They look around. An old radio sparks to life, playing a scratchy tune.

Dean: (cocking the shotgun and standing)

Here we go.

OUTSIDE, a demon in ISAAC's body approaches.

ISAAC

Tamara! Tamara! Tamara! Tamara! Help me! please!

END ACT THREE

ACT FOUR

EXT. HOUSE - NIGHT

ISAAC

Tamara! I got away, but I'm hurt bad! I need help!

Bobby: (to Tamara)

It's not him. It's one of those demons. It's possessing his corpse.

He pounds on the door.

ISAAC

Baby! Why won't you let me in? You left me behind back there. How could you do that? We swore... At that lake in Michigan. Remember? We swore we would never leave each other!

TAMARA

(sobbing)

How did he know that?

Bobby: Steady, Tamara.

ISAAC

You just gonna leave me out here? You just gonna let me die?! I guess that's what you do,dear! Like that night those things came to our house... came for our daughter! You just let her die,too.

TAMARA

You son of a bitch!

Bobby: Tamara,no!

She pushes the door open, breaking the salt line, and tackles !Isaac down the steps. She lands on top of him and raises the Palo Santo,

TAMARA

You're not Isaac!

She plunges the wood deep into his chest; it sizzles, and he screams.

The other six demons cross the broken salt line and enter the house. One, an overweight middle-aged guy, corners Bobby, who backs up slowly. He st*lks Bobby confidently, smiling, until he stops as if he's run into an invisible wall. He looks around, confused. He is under another ceiling-devil's-trap. He looks at Bobby, pleading. Bobby smiles.

Bobby: Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son.

In another hallway, Dean is cornered by the waitress (LUST). They fight; she advances on him.

Meanwhile, Bobby begins reading the exorcism for SLOTH, the demon he has trapped.

Bobby: Exorcizamus te, omnis immundus

Spiritus, omnis satanica...

Dean is backed into the bathroom.

Dean: I suppose you're Lust.

LUST

Baby, I'm whatever you want me to be.

Dean: Just stay back.

LUST

Or what?

Dean: Good point.

LUST

I'm not gonna hurt you -- not yet. Not unless you want me to.

She runs a hand along his shoulder; he looks down at her, then falls into her embrace. They kiss passionately.

Upstairs, a demon kicks a door in clear across the room. Sam looks around as the demon - a young man in a business suit - enters.

BUSINESS SUITED Demon

Here's Johnny!

He advances confidently as Sam backs up; then stops, holding up a hand to hold back the two demons flanking him. He looks up to the devil's trap on the ceiling and smirks.

BSD

Come on. You really think something like that is gonna fool so meone like me? I mean, me?

Sam: Let me guess -- you're Pride.

PRIDE grins and gestures to the ceiling. A long splitting cr*ck appears, desTroying the symbol.

PRIDE

The root of all sin. And you... are Sam Winchester. That's right. I've heard of you. We've all heard of you. The prodigy. The boy king. Looking at you now, I got to tell you, don't believe the hype. You think i'm gonna bow to a cut-rate, piss-poor human like you? I have my pride, after all. And now with your yellow-eyed friend dead, I guess I don't really have to do a damn thing, now do I? You're fair game now, boy, and it's open season.

MEANWHILE, in the bathroom, Dean is backing up, still snogging LUST, until he hits a shower curtain. In one move he flips them around, pulls open the shower curtain, and plunges her face-first into the bathtub. It is filled with holy water; she screams in agony.

UPSTAIRS, PRIDE knocks Sam to the ground, then pulls him up with an arm wrapped around his throat and begins strangling him. The mysterious young woman (remember her? She whose name might be Ruby?) appears, a Kn*fe strapped to her right thigh. She pulls the Kn*fe out, grits her teeth, and slashes the throat of the first demon (GLUTTONY). Fiery light appears in the cut, and he goes down - dead.

GREED

You!

She turns to the SECOND Demon, GREED, who punches her twice, then plunges the Kn*fe upwards into its chin. It also goes down. PRIDE lets Sam go to tackle Ruby; Sam pulls him away and punches him in the face, putting him right into the path of Ruby's Kn*fe. She plunges it upward into his chin, and he collapses in a shower of sparks and demonic energy.

Sam: Who the hell are you?

Ruby: I'm the girl that just saved your ass.

Sam: Well, I just saved yours,too.

Ruby: (Chuckles)

See you around, Sam.

Sam: Wait!

He goes into the hall to follow her, but she is already gone.

END ACT FOUR

ACT FIVE

EXT. HOUSE - DAY

The next morning, Sam and Dean pile the corpses of the demons that didn't survive into a shallow pit and begin pouring salt and fuel over them. Several yards away, TAMARA is standing in front of another pyre: ISAAC's.

Sam: Think she's gonna be all right?

Dean: No. Definitely not.

Bobby comes out of the house, looking exhausted.

Dean: Well,you look like hell warmed over.

Bobby: You try exorcising all night and see how you feel.

Sam: Any survivors, Bobby?

Bobby: Well,the pretty girl and the heavy guy, they'll make it. Lifetime of therapy bills ahead,but,still...

Dean: That's more than you can say for these poor bastards.

Sam: Bobby, that Kn*fe -- what kind of blade can k*ll a demon?

Bobby: Yesterday, I would have said there was no such thing.

Dean: I'm just gonna ask it again -- who was that masked chick? Actually, the more troubling question would be, "how come a girl can fight better than you?"

Sam: Three demons, Dean. At once.

Dean: Hey,whatever it takes to get you through the night, pal.

Sam: Yeah, well, if you want a troubling question, I got one for you.

Dean: What's that?

Sam: If we let out the seven deadly sins, what else did we let out?

Dean: You're right. That is troubling.

Dean lights a matchbook and tosses it onto the pyre.

LATER, the bonfires have settled down and they prepare to leave.

TAMARA

See you gents around.

Bobby: Tamara? The world just got a lot scarier. Be careful.

TAMARA

You too.

She gets in her car and takes off.

Bobby: Keep your eyes peeled for omens. I'll do the Same.

Dean: You got it.

Sam: Wait, Bobby. We can win this w*r, right?

Bobby: (after a pause, not answering the question)

Catch you on the next one.

Dean: So, where to?

Sam: Uh, I don't know. I was thinking Louisiana maybe.

Dean: Little early for Mardi Gras, isn't it?

Sam: Yeah. Listen, I was talking to Tamara, and she mentioned this hoodoo priestess outside of Shreveport that might be able to help us out. You know, with your -- with your demon deal.

Dean: Nah.

Sam: "Nah"? What does that mean,"nah"?

Dean: Sam, no hoodoo spell's gonna break this deal. It's a goose chase.

Sam: We don't know that.

Dean: Yes, we do. Forget it. She can't help. We're not going, and that's that. What about Reno, huh?

Sam: You know what? I've had it. I've been bending over backwards trying to be nice to you, and...I don't care anymore.

Dean: That didn't last long.

Sam: Yeah, well, you know what? I've been busting my ass trying to keep you alive, Dean, and you act like you couldn't care less. What, you got some kind of death wish or something?

Dean: It's not like that.

Sam: Then what's it like,Dean?

Dean: Sam --

Sam: Please, tell me.

Dean: We trap the crossroads demon, trick it, try to welch our way out of the deal in any way? You die. Okay? You die. Those are the terms. There's no way out of it. If you try to find a way, so help me god, I'm gonna stop you.

Sam: (sighs)

How could you make that deal, Dean?

Dean: 'Cause I couldn't live with you dead. Couldn't do it.

Sam: So, what, now I live and you die?

Dean: That's the general idea, yeah.

Sam: Yeah,well, you're a hypocrite, Dean. How did you feel when dad sold his soul for you? 'Cause I was there. I remember. You were twisted and broken. And now you go and do the Same thing. To me. What you did was selfish.

Dean: Yeah,you're right. It was selfish. But I'm okay with that.

Sam: I'm not.

Dean: Tough. After everything I've done for this family, I think i'm entitled. Truth is, I'm tired, Sam. I don't know, it's like there's a light at the end of the tunnel.

Sam: It's hellfire, Dean.

Dean: Whatever. You're alive, I feel good -- for the first time in a long time. I got a year to live, Sam. I'd like to make the most of it. So what do you say we k*ll some evil sons of b*tches and we raise a little hell, huh?

Sam: You're unbelievable.

Dean: Very true.

END EPISODE