04x07 - It's the Great Pumpkin, Sam Winchester

Episode transcripts for the TV show "Supernatural". Aired: September 2005 to November 2020.*

Moderators: thehoundandthebird, coco96

Watch/Buy Amazon  Merchandise

Two brothers follow their father's footsteps as "hunters" fighting evil supernatural beings of many kinds including monsters, demons, and gods that roam the earth.

04x07 - It's the Great Pumpkin, Sam Winchester

Post by bunniefuu »

4.07 It's the Great Pumpkin, Sam Winchester

Air Date: 30 Oct 2008

Teaser

SUBTITLE: Two Days Before Halloween

EXT. WALLACE HOUSE – DAY

A kid is putting a skull in front of a headstone on the lawn in the front yard, decorating for Halloween. A woman walks up with a big candy bucket in her left hand, and a pumpkin and grocery bag in the other. The woman walks up the stairs, onto the porch and into the house.

INT. WALLACE KITCHEN – DAY

A baby is being fed some orange baby food by a man. The woman walks in and sets the pumpkin on the counter along with the grocery bag.

Mrs. WALLACE: Ooh –

LUKE: How was the store?

Mrs. WALLACE: Oh, madness.

Mrs. WALLACE: Everyone in town was stocking up. ( She reaches over to the baby in the chair. ) Hi, sweetie.

She walks over to a cupboard above the counter and opens it to put the pail of candy away.

LUKE: Did, uh, you get enough?

Mrs. WALLACE: Oh, hey, I had to arm wrestle Norma Bleaker for these.

LUKE: Honey, she's 74.

Mrs. WALLACE: And a lot stronger than she looks. ( LUKE reaches for the candy to take a piece, she swats his hand away. ) Ah-ah-ah, remember last year? We ran out at 6:30.

LUKE: It's just one piece.

He goes to reach for a piece again, and she swats his hand away again.

Mrs. WALLACE: Ah-ah-ah-ah, you can have as much as you want after Halloween.

Mrs. WALLACE: Who needs a bath? Huh? Huh? ( She lifts the baby out of the high chair.) Oh, there we go!

( She looks at LUKE ) You coming?

LUKE: I'll uh, I'll be up in a minute.

Mrs. WALLACE: Okay.

After she leaves LUKE turns and opens the cupboard and gets a piece of candy.

LUKE: Oh –

He pulls out his fingers and there is blood on them. He reaches back in, moaning in pain as he pulls a double sided razor free and takes it out of his mouth, blood coming out of the cut as he does. When he looks at it, he starts to gag, and grabs the countertop as he leans over and starts spitting blood. He spits out another razor blade and continues to spit blood and kneel over. LUKE spits another razor blade and falls down onto the floor.

Mrs. WALLACE: Luke, what's taking you so long?

She walks back in holding the baby and sees him on the floor, blood starting to pool around his open mouth, and his eyes staring blankly.

Mrs. WALLACE: Oh, my God. Oh, my God!

She screams.

ACT ONE

INT. WALLACE KITCHEN – DAY

Sam: Now how many razor blades did they find?

SUBTITLE: One Day Before Halloween

Mrs. WALLACE sighs, and responds nearly in tears.

Mrs. WALLACE: Two on the floor, one in his stomach and one was stuck in his throat. He swallowed four of them. How is that even possible?

She notices Dean looking around the front of the stove and in the oven door.

Mrs. WALLACE: The candy was never in the oven.

Dean: We just have to be thorough, Mrs. Wallace.

Sam: Did the police find any razors in the rest of the candy?

Mrs. WALLACE: No, I mean, I don't think so.

Mrs. WALLACE: I just – I can't believe it. You hear urban legends about this stuff, but it actually happens?

Sam: More than you might imagine.

Dean emerges from the floor, and shows Sam a hex bag, behind Mrs. WALLACE's back so she can't see, and makes sure to keep her from seeing it. Sam sighs and looks at Mrs. WALLACE.

Sam: Mrs. Wallace, did Luke have any enemies?

Mrs. WALLACE: Enemies?

Sam: Anyone who might have held a grudge against him?

Mrs. WALLACE: What do you mean?

Sam: Co-workers? Neighbors? Maybe a woman.

Mrs. WALLACE gets what Sam means and gets offended.

Mrs. WALLACE: Are you suggesting an affair?

Sam: Is it possible?

Mrs. WALLACE: No! No, Luke would nev–

Sam: I'm very sorry. We just have to consider all possibilities.

Mrs. WALLACE: If someone wanted to k*ll my husband, don't you think they'd find a better way than a razor in a piece of candy he might eat?

Sam looks over at Dean, who raises his eyes at Sam.

INT. MOTEL ROOM – DAY

Sam is sitting on a couch, with his laptop and a few books on the coffee table in front of him, flipping the pages of the books. He picks up something from the hex bag that looks organic, and holds it up. Dean enters the room and tosses his keys on the table under the window, and unwraps a piece of candy before tossing it in his mouth. Sam sees him do this.

Sam: Really? After that guy choked down all those razor blades?

Dean: It's Halloween, man.

Sam: Yeah, for us every day is Halloween.

Dean sits down on the arm of the couch and looks at Sam's research.

Dean: Don't be a downer. Anything interesting?

Sam: Well, we're on a witch hunt, that's for sure, but this isn't your typical hex bag.

Sam indicates the hex bag that is open now on the table. There is a silver piece, the size of a coin, and something small and charred in addition to the organic thing (looks like a dried up flower).

Dean: Hmm, no?

Sam picks up the dried up flower looking piece.

Sam: Goldthread, an herb that's been extinct for two hundred years. And this – ( He picks up the silver piece ) is Celtic, and I don't mean some new age knock-off. It looks like the real deal, like 600 years old real.

Dean has picked up the small charred thing and smells it.

Sam: And um… that is the charred metacarpal bone of a newborn baby.

Dean: Ugh.

He puts the bone down, and looks disgusted.

Dean: Gross.

Sam picks up the bone.

Sam: Relax man, it's like, at least a hundred years old.

Dean: Oh, right, like that makes it better? Witches, man, they're so friggin' skeevy.

Dean moves over to the chair next to the couch and sits down.

Sam: Yeah, well it takes a pretty powerful one to put a bag like this together. More juice than we've ever dealt with, that's for sure. What about you? Find anything on the victim?

Dean: This Luke Wallace? He was so vanilla that he made vanilla seem spicy.

Sam scoffs at their lack of leads.

Dean: I can't find any reason why somebody would want this guy dead.

INT. BASEMENT – NIGHT

There is a party going on of high school aged kids. Two girls (the one dressed in a nurse outfit is JENNY and the one dressed in a cheerleader outfit is Tracy) walk through the party, and a guy dressed in full costume walks between them, bumping into them.

GUY: Hey.

JENNY: This party blows. We should just go TP somebody.

Tracy looks at her, but turns around and sees someone and walks over.

Tracy: Uh, hey Justin.

JUSTIN: Yo.

Tracy: You break into the booze yet?

JUSTIN: Uh, it's triple locked. So, you guys going to that mausoleum party tomorrow night?

JENNY: Are you gonna be there?

JUSTIN: It's gonna be rad. I'm gonna get so baked!

He laughs and JENNY, trying to be flirty, laughs along with him.

JENNY: Well, it's gotta be better than this G-rated assfest.

Tracy: Oh, come on, it's not that bad. ( She turns and notices a tub with water and apples in it ) Oh, check it out.

JUSTIN: Okay, bobbing for apples is lame.

Tracy: Oh, come on, it's Halloween.

JUSTIN: Mmm… lame.

Tracy gives him a look, and turns back around, kneeling down in front of the tub, and holds her hair as she bobs for an apple and gets one on the first try, her short cheerleader skirt coming up in the process. Tracy turns around in victory, and takes a bit out of the apple.

JUSTIN: I stand corrected.

JENNY: Well, I wanna try.

Tracy goes back and stands next to JUSTIN. JENNY goes to the tub, kneels down, and tries, but can't get an apple. She tries again, and misses. The third time she tries, her face gets stuck under the water.

JUSTIN: Wow, she can really hold her breath.

Tracy laughs at him, but JENNY still doesn't come up, and starts to struggle, her heels scraping across the floor trying to get some leverage. Tracy and JUSTIN finally realize something is wrong, and Tracy goes over to the tub and kneels beside JENNY.

Tracy: Jenny?

JENNY continues to struggle to no avail, and Tracy turns around to JUSTIN.

Tracy: Help me!

JUSTIN goes to help Tracy.

Tracy: Jenny, what's wrong?

Tracy and JUSTIN continue to pull JENNY, but can't get her head above the water.

Tracy: Help!

JUSTIN tries to pry JENNY's hand off the side of the tub, but can't get it loose either.

JUSTIN: Come on, let go.

The water in the tub starts to bubble and steam rises off the surface.

JUSTIN: What is happening?

Tracy: Jenny, come on!

JENNY screams under the water and her face turns red as she struggles.

Tracy: Help! Jenny! Jenny!

JENNY stops struggling.

Tracy: Jenny.

JUSTIN pulls JENNY up out of the water, and her face is boiled.

JUSTIN: Oh, oh my God.

Tracy holds her mouth and stares at JENNY.

[i]INT. BASEMENT – NIGHT[i]

Sam and Dean come down the stairs to the scene of the crime, where JENNY was k*lled. There is a guy with a ‘Forensic' jacket on taking pictures of the bobbing for apples tub, and a police officer talking to Tracy.

Police Officer: Have you been drinking?

Tracy: Yes.

Sam goes to join the questioning and Dean puts his hand up stopping him.

Dean: I got this one.

Dean licks his lips, and Sam sighs.

Sam: Two words: jail bait.

Dean: I would never –

Sam just rolls his eyes at Dean and walks over to the couch and starts lifting the cushions, looking for a hex bag. Dean smirks behind Sam's back.

Tracy: It's just so weird. The water in the tub – it wasn't hot, I had just been in there myself.

Dean: Your friend didn't happen to know a man named Luke Wallace?

Tracy turns to Dean, and he holds up a badge.

Dean: Agent Seger, F.B.I.

Tracy: Um, who's Luke Wallace?

Dean: He d*ed yesterday.

Tracy: I don't know who that is.

Sam holds up a hex bag that he has found in the couch cushions. Dean nods at him and looks down at Tracy.

[i]INT. MOTEL ROOM – NIGHT[i]

Dean is on the computer at the table. Sam is lying on the bed looking through books. Sam sits up, looking intently at a book he is reading.

Dean: I'm telling you, both these vics are squeaky clean. There is no reason for a wicked bitch payback.

Sam: Maybe cause it's not about that.

Dean looks at him questioningly.

Dean: Wow, insightful.

Sam: Maybe this witch isn't working the grudge, maybe they're working a spell. Check this out.

Sam reads from the book.

Sam: Three blood sacrifices over three days, the last before midnight on the final day of the final harvest. Celtic Calendar, the final day of the final harvest is October 31st.

Sam hands Dean the book.

Dean: Halloween.

Sam: Exactly.

Dean: What exactly are the, uh, blood sacrifices for?

Sam: Uh, if I'm right, this witch is summoning a demon, and not just any demon – Samhain.

Dean: Am I supposed to be impressed?

Sam: Dean, Samhain is the damn origin of Halloween. The Celts believe that October 31st was the one night of the year when the veil was the thinnest between the living and the dead, and it was Samhain's night. I mean, masks were put on to hide from him, sweets left on doorsteps to appease him, faces carved into pumpkins to worship him. He was exorcised centuries ago.

Dean: So even though Samhain took a trip downstairs, the tradition stuck.

Sam: Exactly, only now instead of demons and blood orgies Halloween is all about kids, candy and costumes.

Dean: Okay, so some witch wants to raise Samhain and take back the night?

Sam: Dean, this is serious.

Dean: I am serious.

Sam: We're talking heavyweight witchcraft. This ritual can only be performed every six hundred years.

Dean: And the six hundred year marker rolls around…?

Sam: Tomorrow night.

Dean: Naturally.

Dean looks down at the book he has flipped to a page showing a demon on a heap of bodies holding a head in his hand.

Dean: Well it sure is a lot of death and destruction for one demon.

Sam: That's because he likes company. Once he's raised, Samhain can do some raising of his own.

Dean: Raising what, exactly?

Sam: Dark, evil crap and lots of it, I mean, they follow him around like the friggin' Pied Piper.

Dean: So we're talking ghosts.

Sam: Yeah.

Dean: Zombies.

Sam: Mm-hmm.

Dean: Leprechauns?

Sam: Dean –

Dean: Those little dudes are scary. Small hands.

Sam: Look, it just starts with ghosts and ghouls, this sucker keeps on going, by night's end we are talking every awful thing we have ever seen. Everything we fight, all in one place.

Dean: It's gonna be a slaughterhouse.

ACT TWO

[i]EXT. WALLACE HOUSE – DAY[i]

Dean is sitting in the Impala outside of the house watching and eating candy. His cell phone starts to ring, and he pulls it out, flipping it open and looking at the caller ID before he answers.

Dean: Hey.

Sam is in the motel room, and has called Dean. The sh*ts switch between Sam in the MOTEL and Dean in the Impala.

Sam: How's it going?

Dean: Awesome, yeah, I talked with Mrs. Razor Blade again. I've been sitting out in front of her house for hours and I've got a big steAmy pile of nothing.

Sam: Look Dean, someone planted those hex bags, someone with access to both houses. There's gotta be some connection.

Dean: Yeah, well I hope we find ‘em soon cause I'm starting to cramp like a –

Dean stops suddenly as he sees something.

Dean: Son of a bitch.

Across the street, Tracy is walking up to the WALLACE house.

Sam (V.O): Quit whining.

Dean: No, Sam, I mean, son of a bitch.

Dean watches as Tracy walks up to the door, knocks, and Mrs. WALLACE opens it with the baby in her arms.

Tracy: Hey.

Mrs. WALLACE: Hi.

Tracy:

( speaks to the baby ) Hi!

[i]INT. MOTEL ROOM – DAY[i]

Dean throws the motel room key, with a ‘MOONLIGHT MOTEL 126' keychain on it, onto the table. Sam is lying on the bed with his laptop open.

Sam: So, our apple bobbing cheerleader?

Dean: Tracy?

Sam: Mm-hmm?

Dean: The Wallaces' babysitter. Told me she never even heard of Luke Wallace.

Sam: Huh, interesting look for a centuries old witch.

Dean: Yeah, well, if you were a six-hundred-year hag and you could pick any costume to come back in, wouldn't you go for a hot cheerleader? I would, hmm…

Dean sits down on the other bed and gets lost in thought about that, and Sam looks at him furrowing his brow. Dean notices and raises his eyebrows at Sam innocently.

Sam: Well, Tracy's not as wholesome as she looks. Did some digging – apparently she got into a violent altercation with one of her teachers, got suspended from school.

Sam hands Dean the laptop, and we see what is on the screen. Next to a picture of Tracy are these notes: [i]NOTE:

Student was suspended for a violent act on a teacher.

STUDENT NAME Tracy Davis

ADDRESS 27 Lirewenshire Lane

PARENT NAME Jerome Walker Davis

PARENT NAME Mary Jane Kanoli Davis

STUDENT EMAIL tracydavis(a)kadsf.std2

PARENT EMAIL jwdavis(a)qerqwe.com

GRADE 11

HOME ROOM Mr. Goldwyn

COUNCELLOR Mrs. Parks

EMERGENCY CONTACT Mary Davis 555-0892

EXT. HIGH SCHOOL – DAY[i]

We see the front entrance of the high school.

[i]INT. HIGH SCHOOL – DAY[i]

Dean walks into a room full of art masks, and looks up. He sees a particular demonic looking one, and focuses on it. We hear the screams and screeching we have when Dean is dreaming since he got back from hell, signaling maybe the mask made him think of something from his time in hell. We see someone walk up behind Dean.

Sam (V.O): Bring back memories?

Dean: What do you mean?

Sam: Being a teenager, all that angst.

Dean sighs, a little relieved that Sam didn't see what was going on with Dean staring at the mask.

Dean: Oh.

Sam: What'd you think I meant?

Dean: Nothing.

Dean looks over at JUSTIN, who is putting a big bong-shaped piece into a kiln.

Dean: Now that brings back memories.

JUSTIN: Dude, I need a bigger kiln.

A teacher comes around a corner (DON HARDING).

DON: You gentlemen wanna talk to me?

Sam: Ah, Mr. Harding.

DON: Oh, please, Don.

DON reaches for Sam's hand

Sam: Okay, Don.

DON reaches for Dean's hand next.

DON: Even my students call me Don.

Dean: Yeah, we get it, Don.

Dean and Sam pull out their badges.

Dean: I'm agent Getty, this is Agent Lee. We just had a few questions about, uh, Tracy Davis.

DON: Uh, yeah, Tracy, uh, bright kid, loads of talent. It's a shame she got suspended.

Dean: Uh, you two had a… uh, violent altercation.

DON: Yeah, she exploded. If Principal Murrow hadn't walked by when he did, Tracy would have clawed my eyes out.

Sam: Why?

DON: I, uh, you know, I was only trying to rap with her about her work. It had gotten inappropriate and disturbing.

Dean turns and indicates the angry masks hanging on the wall and the ceiling.

Dean: More disturbing, than, uh, those guys?

DON: She would cover page after page with these bizarre cryptic symbols, and then there were the drawings.

DON: Detailed images of killings, gory, primitive, and she would depict herself in the middle of them, participating.

Sam: Symbols, what kind of symbols? Uh, anything like this?

Sam shows DON a small bag with the silver Celtic coin in it.

DON: Yeah, yeah, I think that might have been one of them.

Dean: You know where Tracy is now?

DON: I would imagine her apartment.

Dean: Her apartment?

DON: Yeah, she got here about a year ago, alone, as I understood it, as an emancipated teen. God only knows what her parents were like.

[i]EXT. MOONLIGHT MOTEL – DAY[i]

Dean drives up and parks the car and gets out as Sam walks up to the passenger side of the Impala from another direction.

Dean: So?

Sam: Tracy was nowhere I could find. Any luck with her friends?

Dean: Nah, luck is not our style. Her friends don't know where she is. It's like the bitch popped a broomstick.

Dean and Sam make their way toward their motel room, and a kid dressed as an ASTRONAUT starts to walk toward them.

Sam: She could be making the third sacrifice any time.

Dean: Yes, thank you Sam.

The ASTRONAUT walks up to them and holds up a bucket of candy.

ASTRONAUT: Trick or treat.

Dean: This is a motel.

ASTRONAUT: So?

Dean: So we don't have any candy.

Sam: No, we have a ton in the uh…

Sam looks back and points toward the Impala.

Dean: We did, but it's gone.

Sam looks at Dean, getting his meaning. The ASTRONAUT looks unimpressed and Dean looks down at him.

Dean: Sorry kid, we can't help ya.

ASTRONAUT: I want candy.

Dean: Well, I think you've had enough.

The ASTRONAUT glares at Dean, narrowing his eyes. As the ASTRONAUT walks past Dean he shoves into him and Dean puts his hands up.

[i]INT. MOTEL ROOM – DAY[i]

Sam enters their motel room and immediately draws his g*n, and moves forward in an offensive stance, ready to att*ck.

Sam: Who are you?!

Dean rushes in, and tries to stop Sam.

Dean: Sam! Sam, wait! It's Castiel.

Dean puts his hand on Sam's g*n and pushes it down, and Sam stands there stunned.

Dean: The angel.

Dean spots another figure in the room, standing by the window (URIEL).

Dean: Him, I don't know.

Sam looks at Castiel in wonder and a smile crosses his face.

Castiel: Hello, Sam.

Sam: Oh my God – er – uh – I didn't mean to – sorry. It's an honor, really, I – I've heard a lot about you.

Sam steps forward and holds out his hand to shake Castiel's. Dean goes and closes the door to their room, and Castiel looks at Sam's hand like he isn't sure what to do with it. Sam shakes it a little, and Castiel finally understands and puts his right hand in Sam's.

Castiel: And I, you. Sam Winchester –

Castiel: The boy with the demon blood.

Castiel: Glad to see you've ceased your extracurricular activities.

URIEL is still facing the window, but speaks.

URIEL: Let's keep it that way.

Dean: Yeah, okay, Chuckles.

Dean looks back at Castiel.

Dean: Who's your friend?

Castiel: This the raising of Samhain, have you stopped it?

Dean: Why?

Castiel: Dean, have you located the witch?

Dean: Yes, we've located the witch.

Castiel: And is the witch dead?

Sam: No, but –

Dean: We know who it is.

Castiel walks over to the table by the bed.

Castiel: Apparently the witch knows who you are too.

Castiel picks up a hex bag and shows it to them.

Castiel: This was inside the wall of your room. If we hadn't found it, surely one or both of you would be dead. Do you know where the witch is now?

Dean and Sam exchange a look.

Dean: We're working on it.

Castiel: That's unfortunate.

Dean: What do you care?

Castiel: The raising of Samhain is one of the 66 seals.

Dean: So this is about your buddy Lucifer.

URIEL: Lucifer is no friend of ours.

Dean: It's just an expression.

Castiel: Lucifer cannot rise. The breaking of the seal must be prevented at all costs.

Dean: Okay, great, well now that you're here, why don't you tell us where the witch is, we'll gank her and everybody goes home.

Castiel: We are not omniscient. This witch is very powerful, she's cloaked even our methods.

Sam: Okay, well we already know who she is, so if we work together –

URIEL: Enough of this.

Dean: Okay, who are you and why should I care?

URIEL turns from the window and looks at Dean.

Castiel: This is Uriel, he's what you might call a… specialist.

URIEL walks toward them.

Dean: What kind of specialist? What are you gonna do?

Castiel: You – uh, both of you – you need to leave this town immediately.

Dean: Why?

Castiel: Because we're about to desTroy it.

Sam and Dean exchange a worried glance.

ACT THREE

INT. MOTEL ROOM – DAY

( Same room as the last scene, a few seconds later. )

Dean: So this is your plan, you're gonna smite the whole friggin' town?

Castiel: We're out of time. This witch has to die, the seal must be saved.

Sam: There are a thousand people here.

URIEL: One thousand two hundred fourteen.

Sam: And you're willing to k*ll them all?

URIEL: This isn't the first time I've… purified a city.

Castiel: Look, I understand this is regrettable.

Dean: Regrettable?

Castiel: We have to hold the line. Too many seals have broken already.

Dean: So you screw the pooch on some seals and this town has to pay the price?

Castiel: It's the lives of one thousand against the lives of six billion. There's a bigger picture here.

Dean: Right, cause you're bigger picture kind of guys.

Castiel: Lucifer cannot rise. He does and hell rises with him. Is that something that you're willing to risk?

Sam: We'll stop this witch before she summons anyone. Your seal won't be broken and no one has to die.

URIEL: We're wasting time with these mud monkeys.

Castiel turns away from Dean to URIEL.

Castiel: I'm sorry, but we have our orders.

Sam: No, you can't do this, you're angels, I mean aren't you supposed to – You're supposed to show mercy.

URIEL: Says who?

Castiel: We have no choice.

Dean: Of course you have a choice. I mean, come on, what? You've never questioned a crap order, huh? What are you both, just a couple of hammers?

Castiel: Look, even if you can't understand it, have faith. The plan is just.

Sam: How can you even say that?

Castiel: Because it comes from heaven, that makes it just.

Dean: Oh, it must be nice, to be so sure of yourselves.

Castiel: Tell me something, Dean, when your father gave you an order, didn't you obey?

Dean looks at Castiel and takes a second.

Dean: Well sorry boys, looks like the plans have changed.

URIEL: You think you can stop us?

Dean starts over and stands in URIEL's face.

Dean: No, but if you're gonna smite this whole town, then you're gonna have to smite us with it, because we are not leaving. See, you went to the trouble of busting me out of hell. I figure I'm worth something to the man upstairs. So you wanna waste me, go ahead, see how he digs that.

URIEL: I will drag you out of here myself.

Dean: Yeah, but you'll have to k*ll me, then we're back to the Same problem. I mean, come on, you're gonna wipe out a whole town for one little witch. Sounds to me like you're compensating for something.

Dean turns back and looks at Castiel.

Dean: We can do this. We will find that witch and we will stop the summoning.

URIEL: Castiel! I will not let these peop–

Castiel holds up his hand at URIEL.

Castiel: Enough!

Castiel stares at Dean for a second.

Castiel: I suggest you move quickly.

EXT. MOONLIGHT MOTEL – DAY

Dean and Sam walk up to the Impala, which is now splattered with eggs. Dean walks around to the driver's side as Sam opens the passenger side door. Dean looks around, very mad.

Dean: Astronaut!

INT. Impala – DAY

Dean takes a seat next to Sam in the Impala, and sees that Sam looks upset.

Dean: What?

Sam: Nothing.

Sam is holding the hex bag in his hands and takes a breath.

Sam: I thought they'd be different.

Dean: Who, the angels?

Dean: Well, I tried to tell ya.

Sam: I just… I mean, I thought they'd be righteous.

Dean: Well, they are righteous, I mean, that's kinda the problem. Of course there's nothing more dangerous than some a-hole who thinks he's on a holy mission.

Sam: But, I mean, this is God? And Heaven? This is what I've been praying to?

Dean: Look man, I know you're into the whole God thing, you know, Jesus on a tortilla and stuff like that. But just because there's a couple of bad apples doesn't mean the whole barrel's rotten. I mean, for all we know, God hates these jerks. Don't give up on this stuff, is all I'm saying. Babe Ruth was a d*ck but baseball's still a beautiful game.

Sam looks at him, but still looks disappointed. He starts to go through the contents of the hex bag in his hand, and picks up the bone.

Dean: Well, are you gonna figure out a way to find this witch, or are you just gonna sit there fingering your bone?

Dean starts the Impala.

Sam: You know how much heat it would take to char a bone like this, Dean?

Dean: No.

Sam: A lot, I mean, more than a fire or some kitchen oven.

Dean: Okay, Betty Crocker, what does that mean?

Sam: It means we make a stop.

INT. HIGH SCHOOL – DAY

Dean walks over to a kiln in DON HARDING's classroom at the school. Sam goes over to DON's desk.

Dean: So Tracy used the kiln to char the bone, what's the big deal?

Sam is rifling through the stuff on DON's desk as Dean walks over.

Sam: Dean, that hex bag turned up in our room, not after we talked to Tracy –

Dean: After we talked to the teacher.

Sam notices a bottom drawer of DON's desk is locked with a latch.

Sam: Hey –

Dean sees it too, and Sam gets a hammer off the table behind them and kneels down to hit the lock until it breaks free. He opens the drawer where there are bones in a bowl, one charred, the others not. Sam straightens up.

Sam: My God, those are all from children.

Dean: And I'm guessing he's not saving them for the dog.

EXT. PARK – DUSK

Castiel is standing and URIEL is sitting on a park bench, as some children skip by in Halloween costumes.

Castiel: The decision's been made.

URIEL laughs.

URIEL: By a mud monkey.

Castiel: You shouldn't call them that.

URIEL: Ah, it's what they are, savages, just plumbing on two legs.

Castiel: You're close to blasphemy.

URIEL sighs at him.

Castiel: There's a reason we were sent to save him. He has potential, he may succeed here.

Castiel sits down on the bench next to URIEL with a sigh.

Castiel: And any rate, it's out of our hands.

URIEL: It doesn't have to be.

Castiel: And what would you suggest?

URIEL: That we drag Dean Winchester out of here and then we blow this insignificant pinprick off the map.

Castiel: You know our true orders. Are you prepared to disobey?

URIEL just looks at him.

EXT. STREET – NIGHT

Kids are walking down the street in Halloween costumes with their parents. One small group walks up to a house and looks at the door, which is dark, and the mother dressed as a witch shakes her head at the little girl's hand she is holding.

MOTHER: No, no we won't, let's try this one.

EXT. BASEMENT – NIGHT

DON starts an incantation and we see a rope. The camera pans down the rope and we see Tracy tied up with the rope and a rag wrapped around her mouth, stifling her cries as she struggles to get free. The camera swings around and shows the dark altar that DON is standing at. He takes a Kn*fe and a chalice from the table and walks over to Tracy. He runs the tip of the Kn*fe down her neck, not drawing blood, but staring at her. DON raises the Kn*fe above his head to s*ab her, and gets sh*t from behind three times. Dean and Sam have come, and Dean goes over to Tracy to untie her as Sam checks DON's body. Dean cuts Tracy down and she rips off the gag.

Tracy: Thank you, he was gonna k*ll me! Ugh, that sick son of a bitch. I mean, did you see what he was doing? Did you hear him? How sloppy his incantation was?

Dean and Sam look up.

Tracy: My brother –

Dean and Sam both go to draw their g*ns again.

Tracy: Always was a little dim.

Tracy throws up her hand and yells an incantation and Dean and Sam fly back hitting the ground, and writhing around in pain.

Tracy: He was gonna make me the final sacrifice, his idea, but now, that honor goes to him. Our master's return? The spellwork's a two man job you understand, so for six hundred years I had to deal with that pompous son of a bitch. Planning, preparing, unbearable.

Tracy kneels down by DON and picks up the Kn*fe and the chalice.

Tracy: The whole time I wanted to rip his face off.

Tracy starts digging the Kn*fe into DON's b*llet wound, and holds the chalice up to catch the blood flow. She looks back over to Dean and Sam, who are still writhing in pain on the floor clutching their stomachs.

Tracy: And you get him with a g*n, uh, love that.

Tracy gets up and goes back to the altar on the table.

Tracy: You know, back in the day, this was the one day you kept your children inside. Well tonight you'll all see what Halloween really is.

Tracy starts another incantation and Sam, still clutching his stomach in pain, makes his way to Don's body, putting his hand in blood and smearing it on his face. Dean sees him and whispers.

Dean: What are you doing?

Sam: Just follow my lead.

Sam spreads blood on Dean's face as well, and moves back away from DON. As Tracy finishes the incantation the ground cracks and black smoke pours out of it, and into the body of DON (who is now SamHAIN). Dean and Sam were not able to stop his rising, and another seal has been broken. As he opens his eyes, we see that DON's eyes have turned white with the pupil staying black. Dean and Sam lie still on the floor, their t*rture finished. SamHAIN rises off the floor, and looks at TRACY's back that is turned to him. His vision is blurry. He walks over to her and she turns around smiling at him. SamHAIN kisses her.

Tracy: My love.

SamHAIN: You've aged.

Tracy: This face… I can't fool you.

SamHAIN: Your beauty is beyond time.

SamHAIN leans in and their foreheads rest together before he suddenly snaps her neck sideways and she falls to the floor.

SamHAIN: Whore.

SamHAIN turns around as he sniffs the air and sees Dean and Sam lying on the floor. He walks over and looks at them for a second, and we see with his blurry vision them lying there with their eyes closed, and after a second SamHAIN walks past them and leaves, shutting the door behind him. Dean opens his eyes and leans over to Sam, whispering so that SamHAIN doesn't hear them.

Dean: What the hell was that?

Sam: Halloween lore. People used to wear masks to hide from him, so I gave it a sh*t.

Dean: You gave it a sh*t?!

Dean looks at him not believing that they took a chance like that on an idea Sam had from reading lore.

ACT FOUR

[i]EXT. STREET – NIGHT[i]

SamHAIN is walking down the street, covered in blood, but not being noticed because it is Halloween, and everyone is in costume.

[i]EXT. STREET – NIGHT[i]

Dean and Sam walk across the street toward the Impala, wiping the blood off their faces.

Dean: Where the hell are we gonna find this mook?

Sam: Where would you go to raise other dark forces of the night?

Dean: The cemetery.

They get in the Impala and drive off.

[i]INT. Impala – NIGHT[i]

Dean is driving while Sam sits in the passenger seat.

Sam: So, this demon's pretty powerful.

Dean: Yeah.

Sam: Might take more than the usual weapons.

Sam glances at Dean out of the corner of his eye, and Dean gets what he is suggesting.

Dean: Sam, no, you're not using your psychic whatever.

Sam: Don't even think about it. Ruby's Kn*fe is enough.

Sam: Why?

Dean: Well because the angels said so for one –

Sam: I thought you said they were a bunch of fanatics.

Dean: Well they happen to be right about this one.

Sam: I don't know, Dean, it doesn't seem like they're right about much.

Dean: Well then forget the angels, okay? You said yourself, these powers, it's like playing with fire.

Dean picks up the Kn*fe and holds out the handle to Sam.

Dean: Please.

Sam takes the Kn*fe from Dean but doesn't say anything.

[i]INT. MASOLEUM – NIGHT[i]

There is rap music coming from a room in the mausoleum, and teenagers are walking around in costume. JUSTIN is standing there looking around.

JUSTIN: Dude, I'm tripping balls!

Someone starts to walk down the stairs and JUSTIN notices.

JUSTIN: Yo, shh, be quiet, it's the cops.

SamHAIN walks down the stairs and toward the room they are partying in. JUSTIN sees him.

JUSTIN: Mr. Harding? I mean, Don?

SamHAIN closes the gate to the room, and locks it. As he walks away he runs his hand across the gate. JUSTIN tries the gate, but it doesn't budge.

JUSTIN: Don, you, uh, you locked us in.

JUSTIN tries the door again, and it stays locked, but the doors to the crypts in the room start to shake. The teenagers back away into corners, but JUSTIN looks to one side, and begins to back to the other side. A door comes open, and hands reach out and grab his ankles. JUSTIN screams as a zombie drags him off his feet and into the crypt, a second later blood splatters out of the crypt, squirting out and covering the ground in front of the crypt The teens start to freak out and try to get the gate open. Sam and Dean come down the stairs. Sam looks at Dean and the people locked in the room.

Sam: Help them.

Dean: Dude, you're not going off alone.

Sam: Do it!

Sam runs after SamHAIN and Dean looks after him for a second, but looks back at the teens motioning for them to move.

Dean: Stand back! Stand back!

The teens move away from the gate and Dean sh*ts the lock, and kicks the door open to let them all out.

Dean: Go on, come on, get out, move!

After the teens all rush past him, Dean watches as a door of a grave in the mausoleum room crashes to the ground and breaks. A zombie crawls out of it, and stands up as another grave door crashes to the ground and the zombie in the next grave over starts to crawl out as well. Dean pulls out a w*apon as the second zombie gets up and holds up what looks like a silver stake.

Dean: Bring it on, stinky.

[i]INT. MASOLEUM – NIGHT[i]

Sam is walking through the mausoleum looking for SamHAIN. He turns a corner and sees SamHAIN in a room facing the far wall. Sam tries to walk up to him silently, narrowing his eyes at the demon. SamHAIN turns around suddenly and throws up his arm, and a bright white light comes out of it. It dims, however, and Sam keeps walking toward SamHAIN.

Sam: Yeah, that demon ray g*n stuff? It doesn't work on me.

SamHAIN runs at Sam, and Sam throws an uppercut punch and they fight. SamHAIN finally pushes Sam against a wall by his neck, getting the upper hand.

[i]INT. CRYPT ROOM – NIGHT[i]

There is a zombie with a silver stake coming out of its chest lying on the floor and Dean stabs another zombie to the ground with another silver stake right next to the first one. A pair of shoes walks up behind Dean with a pair of women's frail feet in them. Dean hears it and grabs a stake before he turns around to s*ab her, but she flickers and disappears, and is behind him as he stands up fully. He turns around and she motions both her hands at him and he flies across the room, sliding down the wall.

Dean: Zombie ghost orgy huh? Well, that's it, I'm torching everybody.

[i]INT. MASOLEUM ROOM – NIGHT[i]

Sam manages to get the Kn*fe out, and tries to s*ab SamHAIN, and when it starts to cut into his skin, it sizzles and SamHAIN pushes it out of Sam's hand, and whips Sam around and throws him into the wall across the room. Sam gets up and SamHAIN looks at him, ready to att*ck, goes to run at Sam, but Sam puts up his hand, and uses his psychic power to stop him. SamHAIN struggles against Sam, but Sam manages to keep him from advancing too much. Dean comes running around the corner and sees Sam using his powers. Dean's face falls. Sam sees Dean over the shoulder of SamHAIN, but continues. Sam has to use a lot more concentration than we've seen before, and his nose starts to bleed as blood pounds in his head and he grabs his head with the hand not holding SamHAIN at bay. Finally, Sam exorcizes SamHAIN as his nose continues to bleed and the blood pounding in his head starts to slow down. Once SamHAIN is out of the body, DON's eyes turn back to color and Sam can barely raise his eyes to meet Dean's stare. This is the first time that Sam was aware of Dean being there to see him use his powers. Last time, Dean was watching, but Sam didn't know he was there until after. Dean looks at him sadly, and with a little bit of fear in his eyes.

EPILOGUE

[i]INT. MOONLIGHT MOTEL – DAY[i]

SUBTITLE: One Day After Halloween

Sam is packing clothes into his duffel bag.

URIEL: Tomorrow.

Sam jumps at the sound of someone else in the room and turns to URIEL.

URIEL: November 2nd, it's an anniversary for you.

Sam: What are you doing here?

URIEL: It's the day Azazel k*lled your mother, and 22 years later your girlfriend too. It must be difficult to bear, yet you so brazenly use the power he gave you. His profane blood pumping through your veins.

Sam: Excuse me?

URIEL: You were told not to use your abilities.

Sam: And what was I supposed to do? That demon would have k*lled me, and my brother and everyone.

URIEL: You were told not to.

Sam: If Samhain had gotten loose in this town –

URIEL: You've been warned, twice now.

Sam: You know? My brother was right about you, you are dicks.

URIEL: The only reason you're still alive, Sam Winchester, is because you've been useful. But the moment that ceases to be true, the second you become more trouble than you're worth, one word. One, and I will turn you to dust. ( URIEL backs off, but keeps talking. ) As for your brother, tell him that maybe he should climb off that high horse of his. Ask Dean what he remembers from hell.

We hear another flutter of wings as the camera is focused on Sam. His eyes go wide, and the camera pans out. URIEL is gone. Sam turns around looking for him.

[i]EXT. PARK – DAY[i]

Dean is sitting on a park bench watching kids play. The camera pans around to show Castiel on the park bench next to him. Dean is looking the other way, but senses the angel's arrival.

Dean: Let me guess you're here for the "I told you so".

Castiel: No.

Dean: Well, good, cause I'm really not that interested.

Castiel: I am not here to judge you, Dean.

Dean: Then why are you here?

Castiel: Our orders –

Dean: Yeah, you know, I've had about enough of these orders of yours –

Castiel: Our orders were not to stop the summoning of Samhain, they were to do whatever you told us to do.

Dean: Your orders were to follow my orders?

Castiel: It was a test, to see how you would perform under... b*ttlefield conditions, you might say.

Dean: It was a witch, not the Tet Offensive.

Dean: So I, uh, failed your test, huh? I get it. But you know what? If you would have waved that magic time-traveling wand of yours and we had to do it all over again, I'd make the Same call. 'Cause see, I don't know what's gonna happen when these seals are broken, hell I don't even know what's gonna happen tomorrow. But what I do know is, that this, here? These kids, the swings, the trees, all of it is still here because of my brother and me.

Castiel: You misunderstand me, Dean, I'm not like you think. I was praying that you would choose to save the town.

Dean: You were?

Castiel: These people, they're all my father's creations. They're works of art, and yet, even though you stopped Samhain, the seal was broken and we are one step closer to hell on earth, for all creation. Now that's not an expression, Dean, it's literal. You of all people should appreciate what that means. ( Dean looks at him a little pained, and sad. ) Can I tell you something if you promise not to tell another soul?

Dean: Okay.

Castiel: I'm not a… hammer as you say. I have questions, I have doubts. I don't know what is right and what is wrong anymore, whether you passed or failed here. But in the coming months you will have more decisions to make. I don't envy the weight that's on your shoulders, Dean. I truly don't.

They share a look, and Dean looks out to the kids again. When he looks back, Castiel is gone.