04x22 - Lucifer Rising

Episode transcripts for the TV show "Supernatural". Aired: September 2005 to November 2020.*

Moderators: thehoundandthebird, coco96

Watch/Buy Amazon  Merchandise

Two brothers follow their father's footsteps as "hunters" fighting evil supernatural beings of many kinds including monsters, demons, and gods that roam the earth.

04x22 - Lucifer Rising

Post by bunniefuu »

4.22 Lucifer Rising

Air Date: 14 May 2009

THEN

Dean: Who are you?

Castiel: Castiel. I'm an angel of the Lord.

Sam: I've got demon blood in me, Dean! I'm a whole new level of freak!

Anna: Lilith is trying to break the sixty six seals, to free Lucifer from Hell.

Dean: And why would an angel rescue me from Hell?

Castiel: Because we have work for you.

Ruby: She's no nurse. She's Lilith's personal chef.

Chuck: Sucking blood? You've gotta know that's wrong.

Sam: I wish to God I could stop.

Castiel: Do you give yourself over wholly to the service of God and His angels?

Dean: Yes, I swear.

Dean: You're an angel, aren't you?

Zachariah: I'm Zachariah.

Castiel: (of Chuck)

This man is a prophet of the Lord.

Sam: I'm not drinking the demon blood for kicks!

Dean: She's poison, Sam! Look what she did to you!

Dean: (to Sam)

You walk out that door, don't you ever come back!

Teaser

Subtitle: St. Mary's Convent

Ilchester, Maryland

FLASHBACK - INT. ST. Mary's CONVENT, ILCHESTER, MD - NIGHT

Through the dark and silent corridors of the convent, an unseen presence creeps along. A lone priest is extinguishing candles in the sanctuary. The presence rushes towards him: It is demon smoke. It pours into his mouth, possessing him. He screams.

CUT TO: INT. ST. Mary's CONVENT - DAY

The priest is standing at the altar, giving mass; seated in the pews behind him are eight nuns.

POSSESSED PRIEST

Our Father, who art in... heaven. Thy kingdom come, blah, blah, blah. Lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from... evil.

(he turns and walks down the aisle during the following)

Truer words never spoken, sisters. But sometimes it seems as if it's difficult to know the Creator. Sometimes I feel, in a very literal sense, that I have been wandering the desert for years. Looking for our Father.

(he has reached the door and bolts it, then turns back)

Well, not our Father, my Father. See, he's in jail. Your dad put him there.

(the nuns begin to look nervous)

I almost gave up hope. But, ye of little faith, because I finally found him -- or at least, you know, a spot where his cage door opens. It's right here. In a damn convent, for God's sake. Life is funny.

NUN

Um, Father?

POSSESSED PRIEST

Shut your friggin' piehole, you little slut!

(he grins)

Then again, I suppose it makes sense. Folks forget my Daddy is an angel, after all. Or was. I mean, I suppose some dumb bastard stood here, felt a jolt of his holy juice and thought, I'm gonna build me a nun factory. You know? It's the right idea. Wrong angel.

So, uh, if any of you guys are the praying type, now would be a good time to start.

The camera pulls back from the scene so that we only hear the terrified dying screams of the nuns, and focuses on an angel statue lit from behind.

END Teaser

TITLE CARD: SUPERNATURAL

ACT ONE

EXT. FARMHOUSE - DAY

Beginning in blurry focus, we sharpen into an extreme close-up of Sam's brooding face. Cut to a wide sh*t of a country house, with Sam and Ruby standing by an orange car out front. The episode title appears: "Lucifer Rising"

Ruby: Sam? Your head in the game here?

Sam: (after a pause)

I'm good. Let's go.

Ruby: You okay?

Sam: I just said I was.

Ruby: Look, I know hand-holding really isn't my thing... but still, Dean was wrong, saying what he said to you.

Sam: No, he was right to say it. I mean, I don't blame him after what I did.

Ruby: Well, after we're done, you guys will patch things up. I mean, you always do.

Sam: You're talking like I've got an 'after'.

Ruby: Don't say that.

Sam: I can feel it inside me, Ruby. I've changed... for good. And there's no going back now.

Ruby: Sam --

Sam: Look, I know what I gotta do. It's okay, I'm just saying, Dean's better off as far away from me as possible. Anyways. Doesn't matter, let's just get this done with.

They get in the car.

INT. Bobby's HOUSE - DAY

Beginning in blurry focus, we sharpen into an extreme close-up of Dean's brooding face. He is staring out the window; Bobby is behind him.

Bobby: Dean? Dean! You listen to a word I said?

Dean: Yeah, I heard you. I'm not calling him.

Bobby: Don't make me get my g*n, boy.

Dean: (turning to face him)

We are damn near kickoff for Armageddon, don't you think we got bigger fish at the moment?

Bobby: I know you're pissed. And I'm not making apologies for what he's done, but he's your--

Dean: Blood? He's my blood, is that what you were gonna say?

Bobby: He's your brother. And he's drowning.

Dean: Bobby, I tried to help him, I did. Look what happened.

Bobby: So try again.

Dean: It's too late.

Bobby: There's no such thing.

Dean: No, damnit! No. I gotta face the facts. Sam never wanted part of this family. He hated this life growing up. Ran away to Stanford first chance he got. Now it's like déjà vu all over again.

(he sits)

Well, I am sick and tired of chasing him. Screw him, he can do what he wants.

Bobby: You don't mean that.

Dean: Yes I do, Bobby. Sam's gone. He's gone. I'm not even sure if he's still my brother anymore. If he ever was.

Bobby turns and leans on the table, fuming. After a moment he makes a big angry sweep with his hands, tossing books and papers to the ground. He advances on Dean, who stands.

Bobby: You stupid, stupid son of a bitch! Well, boo hoo, I am so sorry your feelings are hurt, princess! Are you under the impression that family's supposed to make you feel good?! Make you an apple pie, maybe? They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!

Dean: I told him, "you walk out that door, don't come back" and he walked out anyway! That was his choice!

Bobby: You sound like a whiny brat. No, you sound like your dad. Well, let me tell you something. Your dad was a coward.

Dean: My dad was a lot of things, Bobby, but a coward?

Bobby: He'd rather push Sam away than reach out to him. Well, that don't strike me as brave. You are a better man than your daddy ever was. So you do both of us a favor. Don't be him.

Dean turns back to staring out the window. We see a close-up of his face; he turns slowly, looking around in confusion at something we can't see until we pull back to reveal that the scene has shifted to: INT. ANGELIC GREEN ROOM

Dean finds himself in a large, lavishly appointed room. The walls are painted white with gold trim and accents, and a marble table stands in the center. Castiel is there.

Castiel: Hello, Dean. It's almost time.

INT. HOSPITAL - NIGHT

The possessed nurse we met at the end of the previous episode is wheeling an infant out of a patient's room.

DEMONIC Nurse

We're gonna take you to the nursery, sugar -- Let mommy and daddy get some sleep. He's a beautiful child. Absolutely scrumptious.

(singing to the baby)

Patty-cake, patty-cake, baker's man bake me a cake as fast as you can.

(she pushes the bassinette through a door and into an abandoned corridor.)

Pat it and roll it

(her eyes turn black)

and mark it with a "b"

and put it in the oven --

She is suddenly dragged backwards by an unseen force and hurled against the far wall. Sam approaches her calmly, Ruby behind him.

Sam: So. We need to talk.

INT. ANGELIC GREENROOM

Dean pokes around the room, looking at the magnificent pastoral paintings on the walls. He turns back to the table and finds that it now holds a silver bowl packed with ice and full of beer bottles, and a large platter of hamburgers. He picks up a beer bottle and looks at it.

Zachariah: Hello, Dean. You're looking fit.

Dean: (replaces the beer bottle)

Well, how 'bout this? "The suite life of Zach and Cas."

(off their blank looks)

It's a... never mind. So, what is this? Where the hell am I?

Zachariah: Call it a Green room. We're closing in on the grand finale, here. We want to keep you safe before showtime.

(indicating the food on the table)

Try a burger. They're your favorite. From that seaside shack in Delaware. You were 11, I think.

Dean: I'm not hungry.

Zachariah: No? How about Ginger from season 2 of "Gilligan's Island"? You do have a thing for her, don't you?

Dean: Tempting. Weird.

Zachariah: We'll throw in Mary Ann for free.

Dean: No, no. Let's... bail on the holodeck, okay? I want to know what the game plan is.

Zachariah: Let us worry about that. We want you... focused, relaxed.

Dean: Well, I'm about to be pissed and leaving, so start talking, Chuckles.

Zachariah: (sighs)

All the seals have fallen. Except one.

Dean: That's an impressive score. That's... that's right up there with the Washington Generals.

Zachariah: Dean: Why?

Zachariah: Lilith has to break it. She's the only one who can. Tomorrow night -- midnight.

Dean: Where?

Zachariah: We're working on it.

Dean: Well, work harder.

Zachariah: we'll do our job. You just make sure you do yours.

Dean: Zachariah

All in good time.

Dean: Isn't now a good time?

Zachariah: Have faith.

Dean: What, in you? Give me one good reason why I should.

Zachariah: (getting in Dean's face)

Because you swore your obedience. So obey.

Dean looks past him at Castiel, who looks down guiltily.

INT. CELLAR - NIGHT

There is a flickering wood fire in the corner that provides the only light for the room. The DEMONIC Nurse is laid out on the table; Sam and Ruby stand above her.

DEMONIC Nurse

(struggling)

What, no devil's trap?

Sam: I don't need one.

DEMONIC Nurse

Look at you -- all 'roided up. It's like A-Rod and Madonna over here.

Sam: Where's Lilith?

DEMONIC Nurse

I'm not scared of you.

Sam: Yeah, you are, actually. And with good reason.

DEMONIC Nurse

Look... what's my upside? Okay, I tell you, you k*ll me. I don't tell you, you still k*ll me. I get away somehow, Lilith will definitely k*ll me. So where's my carrot?

Sam: I think what you should be worrying about is what happens before you die.

Sam reaches out a hand and concentrates. She begins to scream in agony.

INT. ANGELIC GREENROOM

Dean is now alone in the room, pacing. He's holding his phone and considers it.

Dean: Ah, screw it.

(opens the phone and dials)

Sam's Voice (RECORDED)

It's Sam. Leave me a message.

(beep)

Dean: Hey, it's me. Uh...

(clears throat)

Look, I'll just get right to it. I'm still pissed... and I owe you a serious beatdown. But... I shouldn't have said what I said. You know, I'm not Dad. We're brothers. You know, we're family. And, uh... no matter how bad it gets, that doesn't change. Sammy, I'm sorry.

(beep)

He hangs up.

INT. CELLAR - NIGHT

DEMONIC Nurse

(still screaming in agony)

Stop! Stop! Please!

Sam: You'll tell me where she is?

DEMONIC Nurse

Fine. Fine. Just... let me die.

Sam: (drops his hand)

Deal.

DEMONIC Nurse

(breathing heavily)

Tomorrow night, midnight. She's gonna be at a convent -- St. Mary's, Ilchester, Maryland.

Sam: A convent?

DEMONIC Nurse

Lilith... She's gonna break the final seal.

Sam: And what is the final seal?

DEMONIC Nurse

I don't know.

(Sam begins to t*rture her again)

Aaaah! I don't know! I don't know!

(sobbing)

I don't know! I swear! Please! I'm begging you. k*ll me, please!

Sam: Fine.

He reaches out a hand to k*ll her; Ruby grabs his arm and stops him.

Ruby: Wait. You can't.

Sam: Why not?

Ruby: Because we've got to take her with us. It's the final run on the Death Star, and you need more juice than I got.

DEMONIC Nurse

You promised.

Ruby: Sorry, sister. You're a walking, talking can of whup-ass.

DEMONIC Nurse

You bitch!

Ruby: I know. Just can't trust anyone these days.

DEMONIC Nurse

(settles back)

Well, least you won't be able to cr*ck me open that easy.

Ruby: That so?

DEMONIC Nurse

Don't forget -- it's not just me you're bleeding. In fact, I think I'm gonna take a little... siesta in the subconscious -- hand over the wheel for a little bit.

Sam: What are you talking about?

DEMONIC Nurse

Cindy McClellan, R.N., come on down!

She shuts her eyes and relaxes; the host wakes up with a gasp.

Cindy: What...

(groans)

Where am I?

(struggles)

Oh, my god, I can't move. What's going on? Help! Help me, please.

Ruby: (annoyed)

Great.

END ACT ONE

ACT TWO

FLASHBACK

INT. ST. Mary's CONVENT - 1972

AZAZEL kneels before the altar, the bloody bodies of the nuns sprawled around him. One is splayed out on the altar, facing him in a reverse-crucifixion pose. He speaks towards this one during the following.

AZAZEL

Father, look... I'm not exactly the praying type, but still... I made the sacrifice. I got you a bagful of nuns. So, uh... can you hear me? Can you whisper through the door?

DEAD NUN CHANNELING Lucifer

(in distorted gender-ambiguous voice)

I'm here, my son.

AZAZEL

It's so good to hear your voice, Padre. I have been searching for you for so long. You have no idea. The others have lost faith. Dickless heathens. But not me.

Lucifer: You've done well.

AZAZEL

So, uh... how do I bust you out?

Lucifer: Lilith.

AZAZEL

Lilith? Father, she's... trapped neck-deep in the pit. It won't be easy.

Lucifer: AZAZEL

Yeah, okay. But what do I do?

Lucifer: You must find me a child. A very special child.

AZAZEL

(Eyes flash yellow)

What do you mean? What child?

INT. MOTEL ROOM

Sam is doing research on his laptop. Ruby stands in the background.

Sam: You got to be kidding me.

Ruby: What?

Sam: Get this.

(reading from his laptop screen)

St. Mary's -- abandoned in '72 after a priest disemboweled eight nuns.

Ruby: (smirking)

What's black and white and red all over?

Sam: That's not funny.

(continuing to read)

The priest said it wasn't his fault. He said a demon made him do it. And that he even remembered the demon's name.

Ruby: Yeah?

Sam: Azazel.

Ruby: Wow. So, Lilith, Yellow-Eyes -- all the A-listers are paying visits. Certainly gives the joint credibility.

Sam: As a place where the final seal goes down.

Ruby: Well, it's good enough for me. Let's pack up Nurse Betty and hit the road.

Sam: Hey, maybe, um... look.

Ruby: What?

Sam: M-maybe we can find another demon.

Ruby: Sam, no. That blubbery "don't hurt me" crap -- it's just an act. She's playing you.

Sam: I'm not so sure.

Ruby: Even if she's not, there's still a hell-bitch snoozing in there. I mean, come on. It's not like you haven't done this before, right?

EXT. HOUSE - DAY

Sam manhandles Cindy down the steps and out to the car. She's struggling, pleading with him. He's trying very hard to ignore this.

Cindy: No. Please don't. Just listen to me, okay? My name is Cindy McClellan. I'm a nurse in the NICU over at Enfield Memorial. I have a husband named Matthew, okay? We've been married six years. He's got to be worried sick about me. And I don't even know who you are, and I'm not gonna tell anybody anything. Please just let me go.

(Sam opens the trunk; she starts screaming)

No! No! Please, no! Please --

(he shoves her in the trunk and shuts it)

(muffled)

Help!

(Sam leans on the trunk breathing heavily)

INT. ANGELIC GREENROOM

Dean is frustrated. He pokes at one of the numerous figurines on one of the many mantlepieces and tips it deliberately to the ground. It shatters with a crash just as Castiel appears behind him. He turns around, looking slightly guilty.

Castiel: You asked to see me?

Dean: (clears throat)

Yeah, listen, I, uh, I-I need something.

Castiel: Anything you wish.

Dean: I need you to take me to see Sam.

Castiel: Why?

Dean: There's something I got to talk to him about.

Castiel: What's that?

Dean: (sarcastic)

The B.M. I took this morning. What's it to you? Just make it snappy.

Castiel: I don't think that's wise.

Dean: Well, I didn't ask you for your opinion.

Castiel: Have you forgotten what happened the last time you met?

Dean: No. That's the whole point. Listen, I'm gonna do whatever you mooks want, okay? I just need to tie up this one thing. Five minutes -- that's all I need.

Castiel: No.

Dean: What do you mean, no? Are you saying that I'm trapped here?

Castiel: You can go wherever you want.

Dean: Super. I want to go see Sam.

Castiel: Except there.

Dean: I want to take a walk.

Castiel: Fine. I'll go with you.

Dean: Alone.

Castiel: No.

Dean: You know what? Screw this noise. I'm out of here.

He heads for the door.

Castiel: Through what door?

Dean turns to face him, frowning. When he turns back, the door has been replaced by a smooth wall. He turns back to face Castiel, who has also disappeared.

Dean: Damn it.

EXT. ROAD - NIGHT

Ruby is driving. Sam is in the passenger seat staring at his cell phone, which displays "1 new voicemail from: Dean". He isn't playing it. Cindy screams in the trunk.

Ruby: What are you -- a 12-year-old girl? Just play it already.

Sam: Mind your own business.

Cindy: Let me out! Let me out!

(thumping on the roof of the trunk)

Sam: God, I wish she would just shut up.

Ruby: Well, that can be arranged.

(off Sam's glare)

I don't get it. All the demons you cut with the Kn*fe -- what do you think happens to the host? How is this any different?

Sam: Is that supposed to make me feel better?

Ruby: I know that you're having a tough time here, Sam, but we're in the final lap here. Now is not the time to grow a persqueeter.

Sam: Would you drop the friggin' attitude? I'm about to bleed and drink an innocent woman. While she watches.

Ruby: And save the world as a result.

Sam: I don't know. I-I just... I'm starting to think... maybe Dean was right.

Ruby: About what?

Sam: About everything.

Ruby: We're gonna see this through, right, Sam? Sam?

Cindy: Let me out! Let me out!

(screaming and thumping on the roof of the trunk)

INT. ANGELIC GREENROOM

Dean is attempting to break through a wall with a pedestal. He has smashed through to the foundations, but when he pauses, the wall repairs itself. He throws the pedestal to the floor.

Dean: Son of a bitch.

Zachariah: (Appearing suddenly)

Quit hurling feces like a howler monkey, would you? It's unbecoming.

Dean: Let me out of here.

Zachariah: Like I told you: too dangerous out there. Demons on the prowl.

Dean: I've been getting my ass kicked all year. Now you're sweating my safety? You're lying. I want to see my brother.

Zachariah: That's... ill-advised.

Dean: You know, I am so sick of your crap riddles and your smug, fat face. What the hell is going on, huh? Why can't I see Sam? And how am I gonna ice Lilith?

Zachariah: (sighs)

You're not. ...Going to ice Lilith.

Dean: What?

Zachariah: Lilith's going to break the final seal. Fait accompli at this point. Train's left the station.

Dean: But me and Sam, we can stop...

(he cuts off, having an epiphany)

You don't want to stop it, do you?

Zachariah: Nope. Never did. The end is nigh. The apocalypse is coming, kiddo, to a theater near you.

Dean: What was all that crap about saving seals?

Zachariah: Our grunts on the ground -- we couldn't just tell them the whole truth. We'd have a full-scale rebellion on our hands. I mean, think about it. Would we really let 65 seals get broken unless senior management wanted it that way?

Dean: But why?

Zachariah: Why not? The apocalypse? Poor name, bad marketing -- puts people off. When all it is is Ali/Foreman. On a... slightly larger scale. And we like our chances. When our side wins -- and we will -- it's paradise on earth. Now, what's not to like about that?

Dean: What happens to all the people during your little pissing contest?

Zachariah: Well... you can't make an omelet without cracking a few eggs. In this case... truckloads of eggs, but you get the picture. Look... it happens. This isn't the first planetary enema we've delivered.

(he notices Dean eyeing a statue on a mantelpiece)

Uh, no, Dean. Probably shouldn't try to bash my skull in with that thing. Wouldn't end up too pleasant for you.

Dean: What about Sam? He won't go quietly. He'll stop Lilith.

Zachariah: (inhales deeply)

Sam... has a part to play. A very important part. He may need a little nudging in the right direction, but I'll make sure he plays it.

Dean: What does that mean? What are you gonna do to him?

Zachariah: Sam, Sam, Sam. Marcia, Marcia, Marcia. Forget about him, would you? You have larger concerns. Why do you think I'm confiding in you? You're still vital, Dean. We weren't lying about your destiny. Just... omitted a few pertinent details. But nothing's changed. You are chosen. You will stop it. Just... not Lilith, or the apocalypse. That's all.

Dean: Which means?

Zachariah: (gesturing to a painting on the wall: Saint Michel terrassant le Dragon by Josse Lieferinxe)

(Chuckles)

Trust me -- one day, we'll look back on this and laugh.

Dean: Tell me something. Where's God in all this?

Zachariah: God? God has left the building.

END ACT TWO
ACT THREE

INT. ST. MaryS - NIGHT

Lilith: Howdy.

Guard: Lady, this is private property. You're not supposed to be here.

LIITH

But I'm here for mass. And so are you.

Her eyes go white; the Guard screams as we cut away.

INT. ANGELIC GREENROOM

Dean is attempting to call Sam again. He dials the phone, but hears only static. Castiel appears behind him.

Castiel: You can't reach him, Dean. You're outside your coverage zone.

Dean: What are you gonna do to Sam?

Castiel: Nothing. He's gonna do it to himself.

Dean: What's that supposed to mean?

(Castiel looks down)

Oh, right, right. Got to toe the company line. Why are you here, Cas?

Castiel: We've been through much together, you and I. And I just wanted to say, I'm sorry it ended like this.

Dean: "Sorry"?

(he punches Castiel, who hardly flinches. Dean flexes his hand in pain.)

It's Armageddon, Cas. You need a bigger word than "sorry."

Castiel: Try to understand -- this is long foretold. This is your...

Dean: Destiny? Don't give me that "holy" crap. Destiny, God's plan... It's all a bunch of lies, you poor, stupid son of a bitch! It's just a way for your bosses to keep me and keep you in line! You know what's real? People, families -- that's real. And you're gonna watch them all burn?

Castiel: What is so worth saving? I see nothing but pain here. I see inside you. I see your guilt, your anger, confusion. In paradise, all is forgiven. You'll be at peace. Even with Sam.

Dean: You can take your peace... and shove it up your lily-white ass. 'Cause I'll take the pain and the guilt. I'll even take Sam as is. It's a lot better than being some Stepford bitch in paradise. This is simple, Cas! No more crap about being a good soldier. There is a right and there is a wrong here, and you know it.

(Castiel turns away)

Look at me!

(Dean grabs Castiel's shoulder and turns Castiel back to face him)

Castiel: What would you have me do?

Dean: Get me to Sam. We can stop this before it's too late.

Castiel: I do that, we will all be hunted. We'll all be k*lled.

Dean: If there is anything worth dying for... this is it.

(Castiel shakes his head and looks down)

You spineless...

(Dean turns and walks away)

…soulless son of a bitch. What do you care about dying? You're already dead. We're done.

Castiel: Dean --

Dean: We're done!

Dean turns to look behind him, but Castiel has disappeared.

EXT. ROAD - NIGHT

Sam stands before a sign that reads: ST. Mary's CONVENT - 2 miles. Ruby is a few paces behind him, by the car. We can still faintly hear Cindy pounding and screaming in the trunk.

Ruby: Sam, it's time. Are we doing this or not?

Sam: Give me a minute to think.

Ruby: Sam --

Sam: Give me a damn minute, Ruby!

Ruby: Better think fast.

Sam surreptitiously pulls his cell phone from his pocket and presses a button.

Voice ON PHONE

First unheard message.

Dean's Voice: Listen to me, you bloodsucking freak. Dad always said I'd either have to save you or k*ll you. Well, I'm giving you fair warning. I'm done trying to save you. You're a monster, Sam -- a vampire. You're not you anymore. And there's no going back.

(beep)

Ruby smirks behind his back. Close to tears, Sam slowly lowers the phone and shuts it off.

Sam: Do it.

Ruby: Thank god.

(she opens the trunk)

Cindy: No!

(screams and struggles)

INT. ANGELIC GREEN ROOM

Zachariah: Castiel! Would you mind explaining just what the hell you're doing?

Castiel finishes drawing and slams his hand in the center of the sigil. In a violent flash of white light, Zachariah vanishes.

Castiel: He won't be gone long. We have to find Sam now.

Dean: Where is he?

Castiel: I don't know. But I know who does. We have to stop him, Dean, from k*lling Lilith.

Dean: But Lilith's gonna break the final seal.

Castiel: Lilith is the final seal. She dies, the end begins.

END ACT THREE

ACT FOUR

Chuck is on the phone with what appears to be an escort service. He is pacing in his kitchen. The document on his computer screen reads "Supernatural – Lucifer Rising by Carver Edlund".

Chuck: Oh, yeah? Really? At the Same time? Really? Wow. T-that sounds... moist.

Woman (on the phone)

(laughs) Well, it can be.

Chuck: Uh, what are your rates?

Woman (on the phone)

We can get you one girl, one hour -- $1,000.

Chuck: Okay. Then, uh, I'll take 20 girls for the whole night.

Woman: I'm not sure you can afford that.

Chuck: Lady, sometimes you got to live like there's no tomorrow.

Castiel and Dean appear suddenly. Chuck looks up in shock.

Chuck: Wait. T-t-this isn't supposed to happen.

Woman: Sir?

Chuck: (into the phone)

No, lady, this is definitely supposed to happen, but I just got to call you back.

(he hangs up)

I...

INT. ST. Mary's CONVENT - NIGHT

Lilith has acquired a number of demonic minions and is setting up something ritual-like at the altar. A minion approaches her nervously, holding a chalice full of blood. He hands it to her and looks down. She smiles at him.

Lilith: Don't be afraid. We're going to save the world.

He walks away and she turns her back. There is a sudden deep rumbling noise. When she turns back, all of the minions that had been lining the hallway have collapsed to the ground. Around the corner, Sam appears. He st*lks forward deliberately. Lilith raises a hand; the door between her and Sam slams shut.

INT. Chuck's HOUSE -- NIGHT

Dean: St. Mary's? What is that, a convent?

Chuck: Yeah, but you guys aren't supposed to be there. You're not in this story.

Castiel: Yeah, well...

(he glances at Dean)

We're making it up as we go.

Chuck's computer screen flickers as a great rumbling begins, accompanied by a blinding white light.

Chuck: Aw, man! Not again! No!

Castiel: (to Dean)

I'll hold him off! I'll hold them all off! Just stop Sam!

Castiel claps Dean on the forehead, transporting him away.

INT. ST. Mary's - NIGHT

Dean appears in an empty part of the convent, looks around and walks down a hallway.

INT. Chuck's HOUSE -- NIGHT

Castiel and Chuck stand side by side to face what comes. Chuck places a hand on Castiel's shoulder; Castiel gives him a look, and Chuck drops his hand in embarrassment.

INT. ST. Mary's - NIGHT

Sam enters the sanctuary and flings out a hand. Lilith is flung across the room, slamming into the altar and falling to the ground. Sam, with Ruby behind him, advances on Lilith and flings out his hand again. Lilith is forced back against the altar. Dean comes around a corner and sees what is happening in the sanctuary. Ruby looks back at Dean and smiles. She puts out a hand and the doors to the sanctuary close.

Sam walks towards Lilith. We can hear a loud, gradually quickening heartbeat.

Sam: I've been waiting for this... for a very long time.

Lilith: Then give me your best sh*t.

Sam reaches out a hand, throwing his power at her. White light shines on Lilith and she cries out in pain. Sam lowers his hand, the light fades and the heartbeat slows.

Dean: (from the other side of the bolted door)

Sam!

Sam turns to look at the door.

Dean: Sam!

(he bangs on the door)

Sam!

From Sam's POV, the sound of the heartbeat takes over almost all other sound. Dean's voice and pounding are distant and faint, but he turns in confusion anyway.

Sam: Dean?

Ruby: (to Sam's ears, she is even more faint than Dean)

What are you waiting for?! Now! Sam, now!

Lilith: (laughing)

You turned yourself into a freak. A monster. And now you're not gonna bite? I'm sorry, but that is honestly adorable.

The heartbeat quickens; Sam faces Lilith and raises his hand again. His eyes turn black as he concentrates his power and hurls it at Lilith. She convulses several times, her body glowing and flickering. At last she goes limp. Sam's eyes turn back to normal.

The sound of the heartbeat slows.

END ACT FOUR

EPILOGUE

Blood is pouring out of Lilith's body in a steady stream; the stream is flowing in what looks like a very deliberate direction.

Sam: What the hell?

Ruby: I can't believe it.

Sam: Ruby, what's going on?

Ruby: You did it. I mean, it was a little touch-and-go there for a while, but... you did it.

Sam: What? What -- what did I do?

Ruby: You opened the door. And now he's free at last. He's free at last!

Sam: (in denial)

No, no, no. No, he -- Lilith -- I stopped her. I k*lled her!

Ruby: (fervently)

And it is written that the first demon shall be the last seal. And you bust her open.

(Sam puts his hands to his head)

Now guess who's coming to dinner.

Sam: Oh, my god.

Ruby: Guess again.

Dean pounds at the door with a large candelabra.

Ruby: Sam: You bitch. You lying bitch!

(He thrusts his hands at her, trying to use his powers, but he drops, clutching his head instead.)

Ruby: Don't hurt yourself, Sammy. It's useless. You sh*t your payload on the boss.

Sam: The blood... You poisoned me.

Ruby: (kneeling in front of him)

No. It wasn't the blood. It was you... and your choices. I just gave you the options, and you chose the right path every time. You didn't need the feather to fly, you had it in you the whole time, Dumbo! I know it's hard to see it now... but this is a miracle. So long coming. Everything Azazel did, and Lilith did. Just to get you here. And you were the only one who could do it.

Sam: Why? W-why me?

Ruby: Because... because it had to be you, Sammy. It always had to be you. You saved us. You set him free. And he's gonna be grateful. He's gonna repay you in ways that you can't even imagine.

Dean finally breaks in and draws the Kn*fe. Ruby stands to confront him.

Ruby: You're too late.

Dean: I don't care.

Dean advances on Ruby. Sam stands and grabs her from behind, holding her in place as Dean stabs her. She flickers with light, then crumples to the floor, dead.

Sam: (to Dean, brokenly)

I'm sorry.

The blood pouring out of Lilith has finished its pattern on the floor. A brilliant white light sh**t up from the central point of the pattern and the convent begins to tremble.

Dean: Sammy, let's go.

Sam: (clutching at Dean's shirt as Dean grabs Sam's jacket, and staring at the light)

Dean... he's coming.

Another flash of white, and we cut to black.