02x17 - As We Know It Pt.2

Episode transcripts for the TV show "Grey's Anatomy". Aired: March 2005 to present.*
Watch/Buy Amazon  Merchandise

A drama centered on the personal and professional lives of five surgical interns and their supervisors.

02x17 - As We Know It Pt.2

Post by bunniefuu »

GREY'S ANATOMY

2x17: (As We Know It) (Part 2)

Original Airdate: 2/12/2006

Written by: Shonda Rhimes

Directed by: Peter Horton

(SGH)

(Hallway)

MVO: In hospitals they say you know. You know when you're going to die.

(Bailey is standing in her patient room looking despondent)

MVO: Some doctors say it's a look patients get in their eyes.

(Bailey is doubled over in pain over her bed)

MVO: Some say there's a scent. The smell of death. Something. There's just some kind of sixth sense. When the great beyond is heading for you. You feel it coming.

(OR where Derek is still operating on Tucker)

MVO: Whatever it is. It's creepy.

(Addison is by herself in the doctor's lounge sitting on a couch looking very upset)

MVO: Because if you know. What do you do about? Forget about the fact you're scared out of your mind.

(Linen closet where it appears Alex and Izzie who are wrapped around one another, appearing naked, just finished having sex)

MVO: If you knew this was your last day on Earth, how would you want to spend it?

(Meredith's face looks panicked from the last episode after putting her hand in Mr. Carlson)

(Richard is on the phone in an office behind the nurses' station. George is watching from the nurses' station looking concerned. Izzie and Alex come up to him, fixing up their clothes)

Izzie: What's going on?

George: Uh something happened in OR 3.

Alex: What?

George: I don't know. All I know is that Hannah the paramedic, she's missing.

(Richard comes out of the office and walks by them)

George: Chief, what's happened?

Richard: Quiet board. A quiet board is what's happened.

(He walks away)

(Burke is entering OR 2 where Derek is operating on Tucker. Burke is wearing a flak jacket)

Burke: Dr. Shepherd?

Derek (a little surprised): Dr. Burke.

Burke: How's it going?

Derek: He's got a second bleed under the skull base. If I do what the textbooks say. He could lose the power of speech, herniate through the first craniotomy and die.

Burke: What's your other option?

Derek: Well if I do what I wanna do ... he could lose the power of speech, herniate through the first craniotomy and die.

Burke: Well good luck with that.

Derek: Thanks. (He turns to Burke) Is there something you want?

Burke: You know it was really stupid of you not to evacuate?

Derek (nods): You too.

Burke: Yeah I know.

Derek: We should consider a change in profession.

Burke (half chuckles): Yes, we should.

Derek: Now can you operate and remove the device from the guy?

Burke: After the b*mb squad is through assessing him, I'm going to try.

Derek (nods): Gotta say I don't wanna be the guy that kills Bailey's husband.

Burke: Well I don't wanna be the guy that kills us all. (They exchange a look) Dr. Shepherd.

Derek: Dr. Burke.

(Burke leaves. Notice he doesn't mention Meredith's new predicament)

(OR 3 where Dylan is now slowly strapping a flak jacket up to Meredith. He is wearing one himself. Cristina is already wearing a flak jacket and squeezing the ambu bag)

Dylan: You realize how stupid that was.

Cristina: It was Mer. Incredibly stupid!

Meredith (to Cristina): Ok you know when you don't need to be made fun of? Like when you've got your hand inside a body that's got a b*mb in it and a stranger is Velcro-ing a flak jacket to your boobs.

Cristina: Ok.

Dylan: You've got a sense of irony.

Meredith: Only when things are really ironic. (She turns to Cristina) ... I had a feeling.

(Cristina sh**t Meredith an 'omg I can't believe you'd say that' look. Meredith is referring to her 'might die feeling' she had that morning last episode)

Dylan: What's that?

Meredith: Nothing.

(Burke is walking down the OR hall contemplatively. He stands for a moment before walking determinedly into OR 3. He walks in. Dylan is now standing against the table against the wall watching. Burke walks up to Cristina)

Burke (in a low voice): Time for you to go.

Cristina: No, I'm staying.

Burke: There's nothing more you can do here. We've got it covered. (Cristina doesn't move) Cristina, this is not another clueless surgery. This a*mo can go off at any time and k*ll everyone in this room. Do you get that? You can not be in here.

Cristina: Do you think this is about surgery...

Burke(interrupts more adamant than ever and whispers into her ear): Cristina I can not do this with you in here! I can not think!

(Cristina just looks to Meredith)

Meredith: We'll be fine. (Cristina just stares) It's ok.

(Cristina nods and Burke takes over for her)

Cristina (to Burke): You know in the movies how there's always the heroes and then there's the other guy? You know the guy who sees danger and runs in the opposite direction?

Burke: Yes.

Cristina: Be the other guy.

(Meredith watches them teary-eyed. Cristina leaves the OR. Meredith takes a deep breath to calm herself)

Meredith (to Dylan): So you have a plan right? (she nods to herself) You have a way to get me out of this right?

(He just stares back at her)

(Intern locker room where George, Alex and Izzie are sitting on the floor against the lockers)

George: I feel colors are brighter. Does anyone feel like colors are brighter? My head hurts.

Alex: It's adrenaline. You have the smell thing, cause I have like this crazy-

Izzie (interrupts): Shut up!

Alex: Are you ok?

George: Of course she's not ok. How could she possibly be okay? You're insensitive.

Alex: I'm not insensitive.

Izzie: Would you two just shut up! Nobody cares if the blue is bluer or if you have super smelling powers! Meredith could die. Any minute she could just ... die. Actually stop living ... Dead ... Corpse ... (she starts giggling) I'm sorry. Sorry. God, I have really inappropriate reactions to this kind of stress. I'm sorry. (she gathers herself) Hold on. Mmm.

George: Ok?

Izzie: Yeah.

Alex: Should we like, should we like do something? Call Meredith's family?

George: We are Meredith's family.

(Izzie stars giggling again)

Izzie: I'm sorry.

(She gets up and leaves chuckling. Alex gets up and follows her)

George: We are Meredith's family.

(Cristina is entering OR 2 all scrubbed up and flak jacket gone. Derek is still operating)

Derek: This area has been evacuated Dr. Yang.

Cristina: And somehow you're still here.

Derek: I have to be here. You don't.

Cristina: Yes I do.

Derek (warningly): Dr. Yang.

Cristina (adamant): Yes I do. Besides I guess you need a little company.

(Derek resigned lets her put on a gown)

Cristina: How's he doing?

Derek: He's hanging in there. How's the paramedic Hannah doing?

Cristina: Hannah?

Derek: The girl with the b*mb.

Cristina: Oh, uh she's hanging in there too.

(Floor with the busy people circling around. Addison is talking to Richard at the nurses' station)

Addison: Calm down.

Richard (upset): Calm down? I have an evacuated O.R. A b*mb in a body cavy. A missing paramedic! An intern with her hand on the expl*sive! Two world class surgeons in harm's way! (George walks up behind them) A man on a table who may bleed out at any moment unless we move the b*mb from his chest! And my favorite resident in labor who you're now telling me refuses to push! Really, calm down? You really want to say to me calm down?

Addison: Ok don't calm down!

George: Dr. Bailey is scared, sir. It's a day to be scared.

Addison: She won't let me examine her but from what I can tell her contractions are 40 seconds apart and she's refusing to push. The baby could go into distress and if she doesn't come out of this and soon, then I'm gonna need an O.R to do an emergency C-section.

Richard: I can't give you an O.R Addie! I don't have an O.R to give. Can't you convince her to push? Bailey's rational.

Addison: She's not Bailey right now! She's a woman in labor whose husband is in surgery next to a b*mb.

Richard: So is yours.

Addison: This is about Bailey. I need an O.R.

Richard: I don't know what to tell you.

Addison: Look Richard, we have about an hour to change Bailey's mind and then I'm going to need you to get me an O.R. Build me an O.R. Find me a helicopter to fly me to any O.R in the city. Otherwise instead of having a baby, she'll be losing one.

(Addison walks off. Richard gives George a look and George scurries off. Richard sits down looking very stressed out. Nurse Debbie comes up to him)

Debbie: Here's the blueprints you asked for Chief.

(She hands Richard some rolled up blueprints)

Richard: Ah, thanks.

(Izzie is sitting down by herself in the linen closet looking upset. Alex comes in and sits down next to her. She smiles to herself)

Izzie: I laugh at funerals.

Alex: I don't go to funerals.

(Izzie smiles. She looks at him and then starts kissing him)

Alex: Izzie. Iz.

(He looks at her and Izzie pulls away)

Izzie (upset): I was jealous. I was jealous of Meredith and the surgery and I ... I was ... jealous and now ... I was jealous, Alex.

(Alex leans and strokes Izzie's face. He leans in and kisses her)

(OR 3 where Meredith is still there. Burke is sitting on a chair watching. Someone is squeezing the ambu bag but they're not shown clearly)

Meredith: Is this the strangest thing that's ever happened in your OR?

Burke (nods): I'd have to say that it is.

Meredith: Good, cause I'm very competitive.

Burke: All the best surgeons are.

(Bailey's room where she's sitting on a chair in pain. George is standing in front of her)

George: Dr. Montgomery-Shepherd just talked to the Chief. They're really worried about you. She's on the phone with Mercy West right now to see if they have any OR's available.

Bailey: I need someone to drive me home.

George: They're talking about doing an emergency C-section.

Bailey: They can talk all they want. I'm not going to Mercy West. This baby is not coming out. I need a ride! I can't focus enough to drive myself. (her voice cracks) And Tucker ... I need a ride.

George: You could lose it! You know this!

Bailey: I told you already. I'm not having this baby until tomorrow.

George: This baby could die before it's even born!

Bailey (yells): Can you give me a ride home?

George: Dr. Bailey...

Bailey: Then get out!

(George leaves the room)

(Richard is looking over the blueprints of the OR floor in a conference room by himself. He takes of his glasses looking very concerned. Mindy comes to the door)

Mindy: Is, is there any news?

Richard: What? (he realizes it's Mindy) Oh I'm sorry Mrs. Carlson.

Mindy: My husband. I was wondering if there was any news because you look so worried. And I heard this doctor saying that even though that girl's got her finger on the tear in his heart, that my husband is losing blood. Every second he's losing blood. Which means he could die? He could die? I ask because I know you'll me the truth because you look so worried.

Richard: Mrs. Carlson ... (he's about to lie to her but changes his mind) Yes it's possible he could bleed out and die if we don't operate soon.

Mindy (nods): Okay. Okay. Thank you for telling me the truth. (she starts to cry) I'll just ah, I'll just go wait over here.

(She walks away)

Richard (yells out): Look will someone give me an update! And where's the head of the b*mb squad?

(Richard puts his glasses back on and turns back to the blueprints. Dylan comes up to the door)

Dylan: I'm right here and we're good to go. My team's in place. Dr. Burke is ready. Patient's in stable condition. We can have the b*mb out in under 10 minutes if I'm not interrupted again.

Richard: In the OR we put our patients under general anesthesia.

Dylan: Yeah?

Richard: That involves a steady flow of oxygen.

(Dylan looks concerned suddenly and walks into the room)

Dylan: Well can't you turn off the oxygen in my OR?

Richard: I can and I have. But this is your OR (he points to the blueprints) This is the OR's floor main oxygen line.

(It seems to be directly under the OR they're in)

(Linen closet where Alex and Izzie are putting their clothes back on)

Alex: It's gonna be okay.

Izzie: You don't know that.

Alex: It's just what you say.

Izzie (half smiles): I know.

(She moves to leave)

Alex: Where you going?

Izzie: I cant just.. I, I gotta do something to help. ... Thank you. For saying that it's going to be okay. Even if it's just what you say.

(She leaves the linen closet)

(Burke and Dylan are whispering to each other at the doorway of OR 3. Meredith watches)

Meredith: Stop it. (They stop whispering) I'm not a patient.

Dylan: What?

Meredith: The two of you are looking at me the way we look at patients. Like I'm going to freak out at any minute. I'm not gonna freak out so whatever it is just tell me straight out.

(Burke moves away from the door to stand directly in front of Meredith)

Burke: The main oxygen line runs directly under this room.

Meredith: Ok. (Burke just stares at her) Not ok. ... Well? I need one of you to tell me what this means exactly. Because I think I know what it means. But I tend to be glass half-empty these days so I won't trust what I think it means. Because what I think it means if the b*mb were to explode over the oxygen line the whole hospital could blow up. ... And that's just crazy right?

(Richard is standing out in front of the nurses' station looking even more stressed out. He's talking to a nurse)

Richard: I need an answer on when they're gonna start moving.

(The nurse nods and leaves. Izzie and Alex come up to him)

Izzie: Chief.

Richard: Look I'm busy!

Izzie: I know. I know you're really very busy but if there's something, anything that we could do to help it would really would be very helpful. (Richard doesn't look so good and is breathing heavily) We need an assignment, sir.

(Richard looks in really bad shape)

Richard: Look, I need, I need...

Izzie (concerned): Chief?

(Richard is breathing really erratically)

Izzie: He's pale and diaphoretic.

Alex: Check his pulse. We need some help over here!

Izzie: Come on let's move people! I'll get a wheelchair.

(Richard backs against the wall and looks really panicked)

Alex: I think he's having a heart att*ck.

(OR 3. Dylan walks into the OR as well)

Dylan: Meredith, all it means ... is that we have to move.

Burke: Move?

Dylan: That's right. We have to move. (he whispers to Burke) Now because I don't want to spend another second in this room.

Meredith: Wait. I can't wiggle my fingers because we can't shift the a*mo. And now you want to roll out the entire gurney?

Dylan: Well that's our safest, safest option.

(Dylan nods to Burke)

Burke: So we move. Not a problem. We can do this. You handling this Grey?

Meredith: I'm handling this.

(Richard is lying down on a hospital bed in a patient room. Izzie and Alex are standing in there and there is another doctor also there checking Richard)

Richard: So how's it look?

Doctor: Well it's hard to say for sure. EKG is normal.

(The doctor leaves the room)

Alex: That's good news.

Richard: That's it I'm getting up.

Izzie: Sir! You should really wait until we get the blood work back.

Richard: I'm not listening Stevens.

(All of sudden Adele stands up and has been apparently sitting in the room the whole time)

Adele: You can talk to me Dr. Stevens.

Izzie (unsure): Um ... um ... okay. Your husband should really wait until we get the blood work back for confirmation.

Richard: Okay! Out! Both of you!

(Alex and Izzie nod and leave quickly. He moves to get up)

Richard: I'm getting up.

(Adele moves to stop him)

Adele: You're going to have to body check me to do so.

Richard: Adele, there is a b*mb!

Adele: I heard.

(She tucks Richard in bed and looks over him comfortingly. Richard just looks resigned and kinda caged in)

(Addison is sitting on an empty gurney in the middle of an empty hallway looking very upset. George walks up to her)

George: Dr. Montgomery-Shepherd. What are we gonna do? I mean about Dr. Bailey. Can, can we drug her?

Addison: Against her will?

George: No. Well ... yes. (Addison looks annoyed) Can't we force her to push? If ah declare her temporarily insane.

Addison (lets out a noise of frustration): Ah. You want me to declare Miranda Bailey, Miranda Bailey incompetent? Do you think that will help? Do you think that will make her more inclined, more comfortable giving birth?

George: I don't know that's why...

Addison (interrupts): Do you think I'm not doing everything I can to help her? I mean do you think I'm just out here because I don't know feel a little lazy, just need a little me time?

George: I'm just asking.

Addison (yells): Stop asking! Because no matter what you ask the answer is I don't know. I'm doing everything thing I can! Everything I can! Miranda Bailey's husband is in mortal danger. Actual mortal danger! And there's not a lot I can say to comfort her right now because there's not a lot that anybody can say to comfort me! I'm doing my best! Dr. Bailey is doing her best! And I need you to do your best! And I need it to better than standing here asking me the world's most stupidest question! I don't know O'Malley!

(George nods slightly looking a little upset and he leaves)

(George is sitting down on the stairs of a stairwell. He slams the door shut with his foot obviously frustrated. He hears a crying noise coming from a few flights of stairs below. He stands up and looks down)

George: Hey. (The person looks up and it's Hannah the paramedic) You okay?

(Hannah just looks down and George goes down the stairs to meet her)

George (takes her hand): Wait, are you bleeding?

Hannah: I, I think I fell ah... I was running um- and I fell. It's okay.

George: Are you Hannah?

Hannah (nods slightly, quiet): Yeah.

(OR 2 where Derek is still operating on Tucker. Cristina turns around and is distracted by the activity happening outside)

Derek: Micro-scissors Dr. Yang. (he notices her staring) What is so interesting out there?

Cristina: I uh...I'll...

(She rips of her gown and heads out the door)

(OR hallway where Dylan, 2 other b*mb squad guys and Meredith are moving the gurney with James very, very slowly)

Dylan: You're doing great.

Meredith: Let's go over it again.

Dylan: The device is shaped like a rocket. About 8 inches long. We're going to have everything ready. Dr. Burke's team is going to be in place. My team is going to be in place. And I'm going to ask you to take the hand that you have in Mr. Carlson, wrap it around the device...

Meredith (finishes for him): And pull it out.

Dylan: Level. Pull it out while keeping it level.

(The camera pans down to the floor where the floor is slightly elevated by a silver bar that stretches across it. They don't seem to realize that they're approaching this bar)

Meredith: You know I don't like you very much.

Dylan: I don't like you either.

(Cristina comes up in the hallway)

Cristina: What are you doing?

Dylan (angry): Stop. Stop right where you are.

(They stop moving)

Cristina: What are you doing?

Dylan: I thought Dr. Burke told you to leave.

Meredith: We're moving to an O.R further away from the oxygen line. You know in case we blow up.

Dylan: I distinctly remember him telling you to leave!

Cristina: Where is he?

Meredith: He's prepping the O.R.

Cristina: Then he'll never know will he.

Dylan: You stay over there. You stay over there!

(He directs Cristina to stand a few feet away from them in an adjacent hallway but she can still see everything and they can see her)

Dylan (to Meredith): You ready?

(Meredith nods and they start wheeling past Cristina slowly)

Meredith (to Cristina): Tell me something.

Cristina: What?

Meredith: Cristina, I have my hand on a b*mb. I'm freaking out and most importantly I really have to pee. Tell me anything.

Cristina: He told me he loved me. Last night. He thought I was sleeping but I heard him say it.

Meredith: Burke loves you.

Cristina: Yeah. (Dylan looks at Cristina and she notices) Mind your own business.

Meredith: Burke loves you.

Cristina: Okay everybody has problems.

Meredith: Well are you going to say it back or-

Cristina (interrupts): Of course not. He didn't say it to me. He said to the sleeping me. Reciprocity is not required. Besides he might blow up.

Meredith: Excellent point.

(All of sudden they hit the metal bar across the floor and the whole gurney bangs to a stop)

Dylan: All right everybody. Let's keep placing one foot in front of the other. Nice and slow. Alright Meredith we're almost there.

Meredith (closes her eyes): Okay.

Dylan: We're almost there. Nice and Easy. You ready?

Meredith (nods): Yeah.

Dylan: Alright let's go. Nice and slow.

(They move the gurney slowly over the bar on the floor and continue on)

Cristina: You had to say you were going to die today.

Meredith (shrugs): I told you.

(The Pit where George is sitting with Hannah cleaning up her hand)

George: It's not to deep but, you are going to need a couple of stitches. (Hannah nods) Hannah, uh is there someone you'd like me to call? Family or maybe friends?

Hannah (shakes her head): No. ... That doctor ...

George: Dr. Grey. Meredith.

Hannah (nods): Is she?

George: She's still there.

Hannah: So she's still alive.

George: She's alive.

Hannah (sighs in relief): She's still alive.

(She looks upset)

George: Dr. Milton shouldn't have left you. He's a coward.

Hannah: I'm a coward.

George: No.

Hannah: I ran away. ... You think you're going to be different. You think you're gonna be the kind of person who stays and does something. (she shakes her head) You know a good man in a storm. I'm a paramedic. I'm supposed to stay and do something. I'm not supposed to run away. I'm not supposed to hide under the stairs cause I left two people to die. I'm supposed to stay and do something. I ran away.

(Alex is entering through a door into another floor of the hospital. He stops at a nurses' station where Izzie is standing)

Alex: Well blood work's back. The Chief had an anxiety att*ck. (he sighs) Who's gonna tell him?

Izzie: Um, I gave you sex in a linen closet. You tell him.

Alex (nods): Fair enough.

(He walks off and Izzie smiles)

(Bailey's room where Bailey is lying in bed refusing to move. Addison is in there with her trying to get to her move. George is standing at the door watching)

Addison: Okay, Dr. Bailey let's go.

(She tries to get Bailey to sit up but Bailey just pushes away crying)

Addison: Dr. Bailey I need you to turn on your back. I need you to push.

Bailey: Leave me alone.

Addison: Miranda. (to a nurse that is also in there) I can't let her go any longer. I'm gonna go tell Richard that he has to get us an O.R, okay?

(Addison moves to leave through the door as George moves forward)

George: Dr. Bailey, I'm surprised at you. I really thought...this is not how I thought you would do this.

(Addison stops at the door)

Addison: Dr. O'Malley I don't think that...

George (ignores Addison and moves to Bailey's bedside): I truly... I expected more.

Addison: George.

(George takes a damp cloth and wipes it against Bailey's arm. Addison moves back into the room and watches. George leans down to talk to her)

George: You're Dr. Bailey. (she cries a little) You don't hide from a fight. You don't give up. You strive for greatness. You Dr. Bailey, you are a doer. And ... I know your husband is not here and I know that there are a lot of things going on here that we have no control over. But this ... (he takes his hand and lifts up her chin for her to look at him directly) this ... we can do. Ok? (Bailey half nods, crying) Ok.

(Addison starts moving to prepare Bailey while George helps Bailey sit up. He gets on the bed and sits behind her to support her)

George: Let's have this baby.

(OR where the gurney carrying James is now in place. Burke is there with his team as is Dylan)

Burke (to Dylan): We're ready when you are.

Dylan: We're good. Meredith?

Meredith (looks scared): Yeah.

Burke: I'm going to extend the wound. When I cut the bleeding is going to intensify. If we're going to save Mr. Carlson you have to pull the a*mo out immediately.

Dylan: But remember remove it while keeping it level as possible. (Meredith nods) Nice and easy. No quick movements. Level.

Meredith: Right level.

Burke (to Meredith): You ready?

Meredith (teary-eyed): I uh ... ... Do I have a choice?

Burke: You have to be ready.

Meredith: Yeah I guess.

Burke: Scalpel.

Meredith: I guess I'm ready.

(Burke starts cutting into Mr. Carlson)

(Cristina enters OR 2 with Derek and walks up to them)

Derek: How's it going out there Yang?

Cristina: Everything's fine.

Derek: How's the girl with b*mb?

Cristina: How's he doing?

Derek: He's almost there. (to a scrubs nurse) Suction. Irrigate. That's great. (to Cristina) You didn't answer my question Yang.

Cristina: Sir?

Derek: How is the girl with the b*mb?

(Cristina looks conflicted for a second)

Cristina: It's Meredith. (Derek turns to her startled) The girl with b*mb is Meredith.

(All of a sudden the heart monitor connected to Tucker flat lines)

(O.R with Meredith, Burke and the O.R team)

Burke: I'm good. She can go.

Dylan: All right now Meredith. Wrap your hand around the nose cone. (Meredith looks like she isn't listening but just staring off to the side tear-eyed) Meredith.

Burke: Grey. (she kinda snaps out of it a little but stares off again) Grey.

(O.R 2 with Derek and Tucker. The heart monitor is still flat lined)

Derek: Damn it we're losing him. (to a scrubs nurse) Push one of epi!

Cristina: Thready pulse.

Anesthesiologist: Epi in!

Derek: Nothing. Okay get me a wet lap.

Nurse: Here.

Derek: We're gonna roll him on 3. Okay let me know when everyone's ready. Let's go. We gotta go. Come on! Let's go!

(O.R with Meredith)

Dylan: Meredith.

(Meredith pulls down her scrubs mask)

Meredith: George and Izzie shouldn't have to move out of the house.

Dylan: No. You hear me.

Meredith (to Dylan): You should make sure. Make sure that they, that they get to stay in the house.
(Bailey giving birth in her patient room)

Bailey: Augh!

George: Push!

Addison: A little bit more. I can see the top of the head.

Bailey: I need stop. Need stop.

(She falls back against George)

George: Okay that was good.

(He silently pulls his hand back and makes a pained expression as if she's broken his fingers)

George: That was very good. That was- Okay. (He helps Bailey sit up right again) Are you ready?

Addison: Ready?

Bailey (nods): Okay.

George: Push.

Bailey: (she pushes) Oh god!

(O.R with Tucker and Derek)

Derek: Come on, come on, come on, come on.

(Cristina is performing manual CPR)

Cristina: Wide complex bradycardia.

Derek: Push one more of epi and one more of atropine. Come on, come on. You can not do this Tucker! You can not quit on me! Come on, keep going. You can't quit!

(O.R with Meredith. She's looking off to the side again and teary-eyed. A flash light is shone in her face)

Burke: Grey. His pressure's dropping. Grey.

(He shines the light again on her face)

Meredith: I can't! No. I can't. This is crazy. Burke, you gonna go? You go. (to Burke and Dylan) Both of you should go.

Burke: Nobody's dying today, Grey.

Dylan: Meredith I want you to look at me. (She is staring at Burke) Look at me. (She turns her gaze to Dylan who is standing directly in front of her) I know this is bad. And I know that I'm this ass who's been yelling at you all day. So you pretend that I'm not. You pretend that I'm someone you like. Whatever you need. But you need to listen to me.

(Meredith looks down and then looks back up again. The whole screen flashes white and there is no sound aside from Meredith's breathing and the heart monitor. She sees Derek standing in front of her)

Meredith: I'm scared.

Derek: I know. You can do this. It'll be over in a second. ... You can do this Meredith.

Meredith: Ok.

Derek: Ok.

(The camera pans out and shows the two of them just standing in front of each other an empty O.R, identical to the opening scene of the previous episode. Gradually the real surroundings fade in and 'Derek' turns back into Dylan. Meredith starts to pull out her hand)

Dylan (whispers): Gently.

(Meredith looking very scared and teary-eyed begins to pull out the tip of the b*mb)

(OR with Tucker. Cristina is desperately performing CPR but the monitor is still flat-lined)

(Bailey still in labor)

Bailey (she's pushing): Augh!

Addison: Good. Stop.

Bailey: Stop?

Addison: Stop.

(George looks up at the mirror hanging against the wall so that Bailey and him can see the actual birth)

George: Oh! Dr. Bailey I can see the top of his head! (Addison grins) He's got a lot of hair. Oh he's cute.

Bailey: O'Malley?

George: Yeah?

Bailey: Stop looking at my va-jay-jay!

(George looks away instantly)

George: Yes ma'am.

(OR where Tucker is still flat lined. Cristina has now stopped CPR but is squeezing an ambu bag. Derek looks panicked and rips off all his equipment off himself. He pushes people out of the way and starts CPR himself)

(Bailey doing another push and obviously squeezing the life out of George's hand as shown by the expression on his face)

(Tucker's OR where he is still flat lined. Everyone looks despondent. Derek backs away from Tucker slowly. All of sudden he thumps a fist hard against Tucker's chest. The monitor is still flat-lined)

(Meredith slowly pulling out more of the b*mb)

(Tucker's OR. All of a sudden the heart monitor starts beeping again. His heart rate is rising up. Cristina nods at Derek)

(Meredith crying a little as she hands the b*mb very careful to Dylan who is holding his hands out stretched to receive it. She removes her hand)

Dylan (whispers): You did good.

(He starts moving slowly away from the operating table. Meredith also backs away as Burke starts operating on Mr. Carlson. Dylan heads out the door. Meredith slowly follows him. She walks out the door and stands in front of it watching. Dylan is a few steps away ready to pass it off to another b*mb Squad member who is standing ready to receive the b*mb. All of a sudden there is a large expl*si*n. Dylan is instantly blown up. The force is so strong that it flings Meredith backwards onto her back. It blows up various things in the hallway including nearby windows of adjacent OR's and scrub rooms. Burke's nor Derek's OR are affected. Meredith is caked in debris, blood and flesh. The other b*mb squad member appears to have been blown up as well. The lights are all blown and everything seems dark and dank. Some pieces of paper are light in small fires. Meredith appears to be unconscious lying on the floor)

(OR floor where Richard is on the phone at the nurses' station. Adele is there with him as is Alex)

Richard: What the hell is happening down there? Who's coming up? Ok.

(He hangs up the phone)

Richard (to Adele): Come on sweetheart.

(Adele nods and he walks to in front of an elevator as she follows)

Richard (calls out): Alright people! They're coming up.

(Hannah who was sitting in the waiting room lifts up her head. Alex moves to go tell Mrs. Carlson. A whole group of interns, doctors and nurses gather around Richard waiting for whoever is coming up the elevator. The elevator doors open revealing Burke and Derek standing in there. They walk up to the group)

Burke: Derek.

Derek: Preston.

(They reach the group)

Mindy: Dr. Burke. Is my husband um ... alive?

Burke: Yes.

Mindy: Is he ... gonna stay alive?

(Burke notices Hannah standing at the nurses' station a little away from the large group. He points to Hannah)

Burke: Thanks to that young lady over there he is.

Mindy (crying happily shakes Burke's hand): Thank you.

(She walks up to Hannah crying)

Mindy: Thank you. Thank you.

(She wraps Hannah in a tight hug. Richard nods at Burke and Burke walks off)

(The group seems to have dispersed and Derek is walking around looking anxiously as if searching for someone. Richard and Adele notice and Richard walks up to him)

Derek (anxious): Where is she?

Richard: You had to be a cowboy.

(Derek just looks around)

Derek: Where, where is she?

Richard: She's right here.

Addison: Derek. You're okay. (Addison comes up walking fast and hugs Derek relieved) Oh, you're okay.

(Derek still hugging Addison gives Richard a look. Adele notices)

Adele (to Richard): That is not the 'she' he was asking for.

(Female Showers of the locker room. George walks up and peers his head through the door. He sees Izzie and Cristina helping a shell shocked Meredith still in her scrubs and gown into the shower. She's still caked in blood and debris. They remove her scrubs cap and gown but she still has on her pants and shirt. George leaves. Cristina and Izzie help guide her under the shower head and begin washing her hair)

(Burke and Cristina's apartment)

(Cristina lies down on the bed.)

Cristina: Burke, you awake? Burke? ... (Burke is lying across from her softly snoring) I love you too.

(Burke continues to sleep and Cristina rolls over and closes her eyes)

(Post-op room where Tucker is awake and sitting up right. Bailey is standing there holding their baby boy who is so cute)

Bailey: This is our son. (She hands the boy over to Tucker) William George Bailey-Jones.

Tucker (smiling): Hello. Hello my little man. Hello.(to Bailey) He's beautiful.

(Bailey nods and leans in close and buries her head against Tucker)

(Meredith's house)

(Meredith is lying in bed looking out the window where it is pouring rain. A knock sounds on her door and Izzie comes in)

Izzie: There's someone at the door for you.

(Derek is standing in front of the door waiting for Meredith. He sighs. Meredith comes up and stands right in front of him.)

Meredith (softly): Hey.

(He stares at her looking very relieved)

Derek: Hey. You almost d*ed today.

Meredith: Yeah. I almost d*ed today.

(He looks at her for a bit and then opens the front door to leave)

Meredith: I can't ... (he steps back into the house) I can't remember our last kiss. All I could think about was I'm going to die today and I can't remember our last kiss. Which is pathetic, but the last time we were together and happy I ... want to be able to remember that. And I can't Derek. (he nods) I can't remember.

Derek: I'm glad you didn't die today.

(He goes to leave out the door. Meredith turns around to back upstairs. He stops her when he speaks standing at the doorway)

Derek: It was a Thursday morning. You were wearing that ratty little Dartmouth t-shirt you look so good in. The one with the hole in the back of the neck. (he chuckles a little) You'd just washed your hair and you smelled like some kind of flower. I was running late for surgery. You said you were gonna see me later and you leaned to me, you put your hand on my chest and you kissed me. Soft. It was quick, kinda like a habit. You know, like we'd do it every day for the rest of our lives. You went back to reading the newspaper and I went to work. That was the last time we kissed.

(He moves to leave again almost closing the door when Meredith speaks)

Meredith: Lavender. (he steps back in) My hair smelled like lavender from my conditioner.

Derek (nods): Lavender. (smiles) Huh.

(He leaves and Meredith starts to head back up to her room)

MVO: If this was your last day on Earth, how would you wanna spend it?