02x27 - Losing My Religion

Episode transcripts for the TV show "Grey's Anatomy". Aired: March 2005 to present.*
Watch/Buy Amazon  Merchandise

A drama centered on the personal and professional lives of five surgical interns and their supervisors.

02x27 - Losing My Religion

Post by bunniefuu »

GREY'S ANATOMY

2x27: Losing My Religion

Original Airdate: 5/15/2006

Written by: Shonda Rhimes

Directed by: Mark Tinker

(Burke's OR, still focused on his hand)

(Denny's OR, Izzie watching intently from the gallery)

(Burke's OR)

Derek: Come on. Come on, come on. Come on. Good. That's good. You're doing good, Dr. Burke. Ok, I need you to touch each finger of your right hand to your thumb. One. Two. You're doing great. Keep going. Three.

(Burke looks up to see Cristina standing over him, she walks away.)

Richard: One more.

Derek: That's good.

(Denny's OR)

Bailey: Dr. Hahn...

Erica: Wait for it.

Bailey: Dr. Hahn? He...

Erica: Just wait!

(All of a sudden the heart starts b*ating)

Erica: And that's how we raise the dead in Erica Land.

Bailey: Good job, Denny.

(Alex looks up, Izzie is gone. The camera switches to the gallery where she is sitting on the floor, crying. Burke is being wheeled out of surgery, Cristina watches him wheel by. Derek comes out of the OR and goes to sit down at a nurse's station. He looks up and sees Meredith still sitting on the floor.)

(Camille's room. Adele is speaking with a woman who just entered the room. Richard is standing in the hallway nearby watching on, Addison walks up.)

Addison: Hey. Camille's parents here?

Richard: Yes. There aren't any options?

Addison: I could do a hysterectomy and ovarectomy, and pick out the remaining ovaries. I mean, we could try chemo, maybe radiation, but the cancer's spread. To her liver, her lungs, her bowel. Even if we were aggressive...

Richard: No.

Addison: I hate this. I never get used to telling someone their kid's going to drop dead before she's 18. Oh, damn it. I'm sorry. I didn't...I'm not usually this insensitive, Richard, I just...it's just been one of those days. I'm sorry.

Richard: It's ok.

Addison: I'm gonna go...I mean, do you want to go in?

Richard: Oh, no, you go. They'd rather hear it from the treating physician. I got work to get back to. Deal with this Denny Duquette situation.

Addison: Ok.

(Addison enters the room. Richard stands in the hall and watches as she delivers the bad news. Adele looks up and sees Richard in the hall. Adele closes the door to the room.)

(Seattle Scenes)

(SGH conference room, the interns are all standing there.)

Izzie: I cut the LVAD wire.

Meredith: Actually, I cut the LVAD wire.

George: No. I did it. I'm the one who cut the wire.

(George nudges Cristina)

Cristina: Fine. I cut the LVAD wire.

Alex: I didn't do anything. I'm totally innocent.

Meredith: Alex!

Alex: I wasn't even here. He knows I wasn't here. You think he doesn't know that? The guy's not mentally challenged.

George: That's not the point. What about loyalty?

Cristina: We made a an agreement.

(They all begin arguing)

Richard: People! I know who did this. So, you might as well come clean. I know.

George: With all due respect, sir, if you knew, you wouldn't be asking us.

Izzie: I did what...

Meredith: You have your suspicions, but you don't actually know.

Cristina: Not for sure.

George: And you can't do anything to any of us without proof, sir.

Richard: Well, one of you compromised a patient's life. One of you stole an organ. One of you jeopardized the integrity of this hospital and of UNOS. Now, you tell me, and you tell me right now! All right, fine. No surgeries.

Cristina: Sir?

Richard: You heard what I said. No surgeries. No one scrubs in, no one watches from the gallery, no one so much as goes near the OR floor. Until someone confesses, the five of you will share a single patient: Camille Travis. Whatever she wants, the five of you will provide it! Whatever she wants. Now, get the hell out of my sight!

George: Wow, he didn't say we were fired.

Cristina: He might as well have. No surgeries?

Meredith: That wasn't bad. We got off easy.

Cristina: Yeah, for now. You think this is over?

George: I could really use a good come right now. A nice, long coma.

Cristina: You know, there's only been three careers I've ever wanted. Ruler of my own planet, Wonder Woman, or a surgeon. And I don't see any invisible planes or extra countries lying around.

Izzie: I will go back and tell him. I will tell him it was me.

Meredith: And get kicked out of the program? You will keep your mouth shut. We all will keep our mouths shut.

Alex: This is crap. I'm turning her in.

Meredith: Alex.

Alex: What? You were the one who said we had to stand by Izzie. But now I get stuck catering some V.I.P. chick patient? I don't think so.

Izzie: Alex, I am sorry and I really do appreciate what you did for Denny.

Alex: Oh, shut up. Look, the only reason I lied to Burke is because I wanted in on that transplant surgery. I don't care about Denny and I hope you get thrown out on your ass.

Cristina: Hey! We stick together. You know, we all did this. Nobody's a victim. We...we stick together. (Meredith and Izzie give Cristina strange looks) Damn it.

Izzie: Thank you.

Cristina: You're welcome.

George: We can handle this. Camille Travis is a kid with cancer. So, we give her whatever she wants for a couple days. How hard can that be?

(Bailey walks up with Claire and Natalie.)

Bailey: Harder than you might think. This is Claire and Natalie. Camille Travis' friends.

Claire: Her very best friends in the whole wide world.

Bailey: Girls, who exactly is Camille Travis?

Natalie: Like, the Chief of Surgery's niece.

Bailey: And girls, what does the Chief of Surgery's niece want, exactly?

Natalie: Like, a prom.

Claire: No. Like, the best prom ever.

(George and Alex are in the conference room with Claire and Natalie. Meredith and Cristina are standing outside in the hall.)

Claire: We need a theme.

George: Theme...

Natalie: Ooh! Ooh! Can we have sparkly lights? Because sparkly lights are amazing!

Cristina: I didn't like teenage girls when I was a teenage girl.

Meredith: I wore a lot of black.

Cristina: Oh!

Meredith: Hmm. I had the whole angry pink hair thing going on. I wouldn't have been caught dead at a prom.

Cristina: Oh, my mother made me go. My date barfed on my dress and then tried to feel me up. Mmm-hmm.

Meredith: There's a lot to be said for being an adult.

Cristina: Yeah.

Meredith: You haven't mentioned Burke.

Cristina: No.

Meredith: Well, have you checked on him?

Cristina: No.

Meredith: Ok, I could try harder to make you open up and share and deal with the Burke thing, or I could be neurotic and selfish and talk about me and my problems. Which would be more supportive right now?

Cristina: Selfish and neurotic, please.

Meredith: Hmm. Finn says Doc's in pain. And Derek and I have to talk about whether we should put him to sleep or not. Which is...And Finn thinks there's something going on between me and Derek. Which there is not. There so clearly is not. And Addison having that whole meltdown?

Cristina: Ugh.

Meredith: I mean, dogs get sick and we're expected to put them to sleep. People get sick, we don't put them down. We don't just give up on people. There's nothing going on between me and Derek.

Cristina: There is a lot to be said for being an adult.

Meredith: Yeah.

(Denny's room, Izzie is in the hallway, cautiously considering going in. She takes her hair down then steps into the doorway.)

Izzie: Is Bailey around?

Denny: No, she was in here earlier. Said she'd be back in a couple of hours. The coast is clear.

Izzie: You look...God, you look amazing. They always tell you transplant patients rebound fast, but, you know, to see it in person...

Denny: I have warm hands. I've never had warm hands because of my circulation. (He holds his hand out) Feel. (Izzie takes his hand) Warm hands and check it out, I have a regular heartbeat.

Izzie: Yes, you do. I should, um...I got to go. I would stay, but if Bailey catches me here, she'd...And, uh, you know, the Chief has us doing this prom thing. It's so...But, yeah, I'm really happy for you. You look...Whoo-hoo, Denny. Ok. I'm going to go.

Denny: What?

Izzie: Huh?

Denny: You like your men sick and feeble? You don't dig healthy guys?

Izzie: I...I dig you.

Denny: Then why are you all swirly and twitchy?

Izzie: No, I'm not.

Denny: Yeah, you're swirly and twitchy. (Izzie giggles) It's because I asked you to marry me.

Izzie: So you remember that?

Denny: It's not the kind of thing I'd forget.

Izzie: Yeah. Look, Denny, um...I'm giving you an out.

Denny: Excuse me?

Izzie: Well, I'm giving you an out. I mean, you thought you were dying, and I was saving your life, and you know, everything was so...So I won't hold it against you, or...be hurt or offended if you wanna take your proposal back. I'm giving you an out.

Denny: I don't want an out.

Izzie: You should take the out. We can't get married. I mean, that would be crazy. Insane. We should date and have sex. Plenty of sex. You know? When you heart gets better, and you're out of the hospital, all the sex you can handle. But marriage is, um...Marriage. I mean...

Denny: Ok. It's my turn now.

Izzie: But I need to...

Denny: No, no, no. We're taking turns. I've decided it's polite and it keeps me from yelling. When it's you turn again, you can talk. For five years, I've had to live by the choices of my doctors. The guys that cut me open...decided my life. There wasn't one choice that was mine. And now I have this heart that beats and works. I get to be like everybody else. I get to make my own decisions, have my own life, do whatever the damn hell I choose. Now, here's the good part, so you listen close. What I choose is you. You're who I want to make up with and go to bed with and do everything in between with. I get a choice now. I get to choose. I choose you Izzie Stevens. Ok. It's your turn again.

(Izzie runs out of the room)

(Richard and Bailey are standing at a nurse's station.)

Richard: They're not talking.

Bailey: Wagons have been circled.

Richard: I need answers. Somebody's gotta take responsibility.

Bailey: I can tell you what I think happened, what I assumed happened. But they're the only ones that know it.

Richard: I wanna meet with each of them separately. I will break them.

Bailey: Ok.

(She starts to walk off)

Richard: You have your dress for the prom?

Bailey: Excuse me?

Richard: I'm going to the prom. If I have to go, everybody has to go.

Bailey: What? I'm a grown woman.

Richard: (Loudly) Everybody goes to the prom! Everybody!

(Conference room where Alex and George are still listening to Claire and Natalie discuss prom preparations.)

Claire: Central High? Two years ago, they went with all black and they had like purple lights and...

Natalie: Yeah, I remember that. And everybody looked like ghouls.

Claire: Fine, we could go with all white. Because I was reading Elle Girl and they were saying...

(Alex starts moaning and groaning)

George: Are you having a seizure?

Alex: Will that get me out of here? Fine, let's go with seizure. Because seizure beats the hell out of a 45-minute conversation about what color balloons we're gonna buy. For the love of God. You people need to get a life.

George: Chief's niece. Chief's niece.

Claire: It's ok. The hot ones are always mean. It's like a rule or something.

Natalie: Doesn't he remind you of Nate Sims?

Claire: Totally. He's totally Nate. You're Nate.

Alex: No, I'm not Nate.

George: Don't engage.

Natalie: Nate broke up with Camille the first time she had cancer.

Claire: That's the other thing about the hot ones: they're usually cowards.

Natalie: Don't you dare try to judge us for trying to make our friend, who just happens to be dying of cancer, happy. The color does matter. Maybe not to you. But it does matter.

(George, Meredith Cristina and Alex are talking to Bailey, who is standing at a nurse's station.)

George: Not to bother you, but...

Bailey: What? One of you better spit out the problem right now!

Alex: The problem is the colors and the balloons and the "Under the Sea." "No, it's Titanic." "Hey, let's go with Tears in Heaven." "No, it's too morbid." "It should be pink." "It should be red." "It should be a freaking rainbow."

George: What he's saying is that we're very, very hopeful that you speak teenage girl.

(Back in the conference room)

Bailey: Silver and white. It's mystical and magical, without being over the top. Ever see fashion week in New York? Lots of silver and white runways and backdrops. That's because no matter what color the clothes are, they pop.

Natalie: They pop?

Bailey: They pop?

Claire: Sounds good.

Natalie: Yeah.

Bailey: O'Malley and Karev, get 500 balloons in silver and white and 100 in black. Shiny black, not the matte. Yang, stick with Camille, keep her happy, keep her spirits up. Make sure she has her shoes, dress and makeup on standby. Grey, get with Patricia. Make sure we can rope off the second-floor nurses' station and the waiting area. And get some catering menus. Got it? Oh, no, no. You don't get to look at me like that. No, you compromised my medical license. You nearly k*lled a patient, lied to the Chief of Surgery, and made me, your resident look bad. We're gonna do this prom and we're doing it right. Move!

(On-call room, George, Alex and Izzie are inflating balloons.)

George: Uh, there's an emergency appendectomy happening in OR 1, right now, as we speak.

Izzie: Again, I'm sorry.

Alex: Stop saying you're sorry when you're not. You make me sick. (Alex leaves as Callie enters)

George: Nice.

Callie: Hey.

George: Hey.

Callie: Um, can we talk?

George: Yeah. (Hands Izzie a balloon) Hold it.

(George is now in the hall with Callie.)

George: Hey.

Callie: You never called.

George: What?

Callie: Last night. We had plans and you went off with Izzie and you never called. You said you would.

George: Yeah, a lot of stuff went down last night.

Callie: Yeah, I know. I heard, everybody heard. So what exactly happened?

George: I can't talk about it.

Callie: Oh, come on. I'm not going to tell, George. It's me.

George: Look, it's Vegas. What happened in that room stays in that room.

Callie: Ok. Yeah, I get it.

George: Hey. Do you want to go to prom with me?

Callie: No, George. No, I don't want to go to prom with you.

(Callie walks off and George goes back into the on-call room)

Izzie: What was that about?

George: She said she loved me.

Izzie: Oh. Oh.

(Meredith is in the hallway and turns a corner and runs into Finn.)

Meredith: Oh! Hey.

Finn: I've been calling you cell all night?

Meredith: Um...oh, well, uh, it's a long story, which essentially ends with me inviting you to a prom.

Finn: An actual prom? A...corsages and tuxedos?

Meredith: Yeah, I know it's stupid, but...

Finn: No. I'm in. I loved prom. I mean, I don't want to brag or anything, but I was crowned king.

Meredith: Really? You were that kid in high school?

Finn: What is wrong with being that kid?

Meredith: Nothing. It's very cute, actually.

Finn: Hello.

Meredith: Hi. What are you doing here?

Finn: Doc had some seizures last night. Pretty serious. The cancer spread to his brain. I'm sorry.

(Derek is standing in front of the OR board, Addison walks up to him.)

Addison: Hey.

Derek: Hey.

Addison: How's Preston?

Derek: He's recovering nicely. Addison...

Addison: I don't want to talk about it.

Derek: All right.

Addison: I mean we've come so far. You forgave me for Mark and we're trying.

Derek: We are.

Addison: We are trying.

Derek: We're trying.

Addison: And I was jealous when there was no need to be. Right?

Derek: Addison?

Addison: What?

Derek: Will you go to the prom with me?

(They smile at each other)

(Burke's room, he is looking at his hand. It has a tremor. Cristina walks up to the window outside the room. His hand has another tremor. He looks up and sees her standing outside.)

(Conference room, where the chief is "grilling" each of the interns.)

Alex: I went to college on a wresting scholarship. I played baseball, some basketball, but you know we'll go with football...

Richard: What the hell does football have to do with who cut the LVAD wires?

Alex: Let's say you were drafter to a team that wasn't your first pick. You know, you don't like the players. You hate the way they play the game. You even think the quarterback is full of crap. Now the quarterback's a pain in the ass that you don't owe a damn thing to, but...it's your team. You don't quit. You don't talk to the press. You don't bitch to the coach. You just...you just go out there every Sunday and you make the blocks and you take the hits and you play to win. You show up and you suit up and you play. Because it's your freaking team.

Richard: I know your type. You're a surgical junkie.

(The camera flips back to look at the intern and Cristina is not sitting there.)

Cristina: Yes, sir.

Richard: I'm just saying, it's not going to be easy for you to be away from the OR that long.

Cristina: No, sir.

Richard: And if you want to get back to the OR, you're gonna tell me what I want to know. Aren't ya?

Cristina: You're right. It's not easy for me to be away from the OR. It's not easy for me to sit in front of you, or any other authority figure for that matter and not be able to give you the exact answer you want to hear. I'm the one with the answers. I've always been the one with the answers. But right now, sir, I don't have any.

Richard: Dr. Yang...

Cristina: How do you keep your edge, sir? Because I watch you. And you've been doing this a long time. You're clean and your focused. You are the job. Nothing gets to you. And the thing is, sir. I was like that. Until I got here. Until I actually started doing this job and now everything is...is fuzzy.

Richard: That's besides the point.

Cristina: No, see, sir, this is the point. Because I can't tell you. What happened in that room...I can't tell you. And before, I could have. No guilt, no loyalties, no problem. Before...before I wouldn't have even been in that room. I wouldn't have gotten involved. I would have never frozen in surgery. And I would have told him what I thought he should do. I had an edge, sir. I had an edge and I've lost it. And I need it. I need it back. (Tears in her voice) So if you could just tell me how you keep yours and how not to be affected, I know I could be a great surgeon. So, if you could just give me the answers, I would really appreciate it. (A tear streams down her face)

Richard: You're excused, Dr. Yang.

Cristina: But...

Richard: You're excused.

Cristina: I'll tell you who cut the LVAD wires, sir, if you could just please...

Richard: No, you won't. I don't want to know. Not from you. Yeah, I have the answers, but I can't tell them to you. I'm not going to be responsible for you becoming less human.

(Izzie is now in the room)

Izzie: I'm a pretty girl.

Richard: What?

Izzie: I'm not being arrogant. It's just...it's just kind of a fact. For a long time, I made a career from my looks, so I get it. I'm a pretty girl. And not in a "from-a-certain-angle" way. In an obvious way. It's the blonde thing. And the big boobs thing. Big boobs are key to "obvious" pretty, if you know what I'm saying.

Richard: Dr. Stevens...

Izzie: It's how men see me. I'm not a smart girl or an interesting girl. I'm a pretty girl. The blonds and the boobs, it confuse guys into thinking that I'm someone else. And I'm used to it. I'm used to them walking away when they realize...but then Denny goes and asks me to marry him.

Richard: Is that why you cut the wires?

Izzie: He doesn't make me feel like I'm a pretty girl. He makes me feel like...like me. I think he might know me. And so, if I did cut the LVAD wire, and I'm not saying that I did, but if I did...then no. I don't feel guilty. And I know that I should. And I would if it were anybody else. But I can't feel anything but happy.

(George is now sitting there)

George: Are you gonna...say anything or...? I'm not gonna break. I'm starting to get a little freaked out, but I'm not gonna break. It's not because I don't care. Cause I do care what you think about me. I do...care. I just can't tell you what you want to hear. Which seems to be a theme in my life right now. Just cause you can't say something doesn't mean you don't want to. You can want to very much. You can be with a person and be happy with them, and not love them. And you can love someone and not want to be with them. You don't need to...love someone...to want them. But it's frustrating. You know, when you brain tells you what you want and what you actually want don't match up, it's exhausting. And...well, it's complicated. But that's life. And life...sucks.

(Meredith is now sitting there)

Richard: I've known you for a long time. I know your mother and father. And I know, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that you did not cut those LVAD wires. Meredith, I need you to tell me who did it.

Meredith: I've been going over this and over this in my mind trying to piece this together. It was you. You were the reason my parents broke up. And it wasn't just an affair. She really loved you. It wasn't just this cheap thing where she didn't tell you she was married. It wasn't all a lie. She left her husband for you. But you stayed with your wife because it was the right thing to do. Maybe safe, but she was the right person for you to be with. And let's face it, my mother? Nothing wrong with being safe. Being with the good buy because he's good. And we are talking about forever here. You've never regretted your decision. You've never looked back. Right?
(Meredith opens a door to a waiting room where Derek is sitting in a chair)

Meredith: Finn says we need to make a decision about Doc.

Derek: Good for Finn.

Meredith: Can we just do this?

Derek: Fine.

Meredith: I think, we may have to put him to sleep.

Derek: Whatever.

Meredith: Can we just do this one thing together without arguing? What if there's a chance he can get better?

Derek: He's not going to get better. You know that.

Meredith: Well, Finn things we should do it today, then. So I guess I'll go over there. Be there.

Derek: What time?

Meredith: Are you coming?

Derek: He's my dog.

(Izzie runs into Denny's room. Bailey is in there.)

Izzie: Denny!

Bailey: What did I tell you? Visiting hours aren't for another hour. You are no longer his doctor. You wanna see Denny, you come back when the visitors come.

Izzie: I would, but I can't wait.

Denny: Ixnay on the insubordinationay.

Izzie: But it's my turn.

Bailey: If the Chief finds out you were even on this floor...

Denny: Hold on. It's her turn.

Izzie: Yes. My answer is yes.

Denny: Oh, now see, you're going to make my heart stop b*ating and it's brand new.

(Izzie walks over to Denny)

Bailey: I will call security on you.

Izzie: Ok. I will come back during visiting hours. And it's prom, so I'll show you my dress.

Denny: Ok.

Izzie: I'm going.

Denny: Izzie. You did good. (To Bailey) I tricked her into marrying me. How smart am I?

(Burke's room, Cristina is hovering in the doorway)

Cristina: We're throwing a prom. Chief's making us throw a prom.

Burke: O'Malley mentioned.

Cristina: George came to see you?

Burke: He's my friend.

Cristina: Oh.

Burke: I won't bear a grudge.

Cristina: What did you...?

Burke: I have to take care of me. I don't expect you to take care of me. But I have to take care of me. If this...if you can't stay here for this...I won't bear a grudge.

Cristina: Are you going to tell Shepherd about...

Burke: Not yet. I'm, uh...not yet.

(Cristina leaves)

(Finn's office. Meredith, Derek and Addison are there to put Doc to sleep)

Finn: Ok. There's a couple of forms you need to sign. (Derek and Meredith both reach for the form) I only need one signature.

Derek: You?

Meredith: It's fine.

Addison: Here, I'll sign.

Meredith: So, how do we do this?

Finn: Well, I'll give Doc an injection of terazole to make him sleepy, and then I'll give him an IV injection of pheonbarbitol.

Derek: And that will stop his heart?

Finn: Yes.

Meredith: And what do we do after? With his body?

Finn: We can...We have the means to dispose of it for you.

Derek: That's fine. Go ahead.

Meredith: We can't throw him away like he's garbage.

Finn: We would never...

Meredith: He's our dog, Derek.

Derek: There's uh, clearing by the trailer.

Meredith: Overlooking the water?

Derek: We can, uh, bury him there.

Addison: That sounds nice.

Finn: You ready?

Meredith: Yeah. (To Doc) I'm so sorry, Doc.

Derek: I'm sorry too.

(Addison's pager beeps)

Addison: It's the hospital. I got to go.

Derek: Ok.

Addison: Ok.

Finn: Ok. I'll begin.

Meredith: (To Doc) It's ok. It's ok. It's ok.

(Meredith is crying and Derek keeps looking at her. She is petting Doc and Derek touches her hand. Finn checks Doc's heart)

Finn: He's gone. Meredith?

Meredith: No, I have to go home and change. I'll see you later, ok?

Finn: Meredith. I'm sorry. For your loss.

Meredith: Yeah. You know, the thing is he wasn't really my dog for that long. He was more Derek's dog.

Derek: Meredith. He was a good dog.

Meredith: He was.

(The hospital prom. The room is full of people dancing and having a good time.)

Bailey: Oh, I'm too tired for this.

Cristina: Where's your husband, Dr. Bailey?

Bailey: Uh, at home with the baby. That you would at least get to get out of this.

Cristina: Why?

Bailey: Well, with Burke upstairs. What happened to him, I'm sure the Chief would have let you out.

Cristina: Yeah.

(Another part of the prom)

Derek: Oh, God.

Finn: Hey.

Derek: Hey.

Finn: You seen Meredith?

Derek: I don't think she's here yet.

(Derek and Finn both look up to see Meredith enter. She is dressed in a sparkly black dress and looks stunning. Finn walks away and Addison walks up.)

Addison: This whole thing brings back very traumatic memories of being a band geek with braces and the lisp. (Derek is still looking at Meredith) Spending the whole evening with Skippy Gold talking about Star Wars. (Derek watches Meredith and Finn embrace)

Derek: Hmm. I hated Star Wars.

Addison: Hmm. Thank God. This is terrible.

Derek: It's bad. So, you want to, um, dance?

Derek: Love to.

(Another part of the prom, Richard, Claire and Natalie are watching Camille and Brian dance. Richard walks up and taps Brian on the shoulder.)

Richard: Can I cut in?

(Brian scampers off looking scared)

Camille: What did you say to my boyfriend to make him that scared of you?

Richard: I'm a frightening man, Cammie.

Camille: No, you're not.

Richard: Where Brian's concerned, yes, I am.

Camille: Be kind to him. He loves me. I've been loved. And that's something everyone should have once in their life. I've been loved. I have that. Thank you for the prom, Uncle Richard.

Richard: You're welcome.

(Callie is walking through the hall and George sees her)

George: Hey, I was looking for you...Where are you going?

Callie: I'm wearing a dress, I have on heels, I shaved my legs. I'm going to the prom.

George: You said that you didn't want to go.

Callie: No, I said I didn't want to go with you.

George: Callie!

Callie: I said I love you. I said it. I said it out loud to your face. And ever since, you...I've never said that to a guy before. Never. And now I am just this idiot who says I love you and then gets avoided.

George: No. I'm not avoiding you. I promise.

Callie: You gonna say it back?

George: No.

Callie: I'm humiliated.

(He grabs her arm)

Callie: No. No. George. Let me go. George, let me go!

(He pushes her against the wall)

George: Wait.

Callie: Let me go. Let me go.

George: Stop fighting me! If I say it back right now, you'll know I'm just saying it because you said it to me. When...when I say I love you... I want to mean it, because...you just have to give me some time to mean it.

Callie: I hate that I'm so into you.

(They start kissing)

(Back at the prom, Derek is dancing with Addison while watching Meredith who is dancing with Finn)

Finn: You're a lot hotter than my last prom date.

Meredith: Is that a compliment?

Finn: Maybe.

Meredith: It feels like a compliment.

Finn: Well, then it is.

Meredith: Well, keep it up. You might get lucky.

Finn: Well, now, how lucky are we talking? Are we talking kind of lucky? Or are we talking really, seriously lucky?

Meredith: You have been a very patient man and I appreciate it. (He sighs) What?

Finn: Liz, uh...Liz was my wife. And when she d*ed...You do this thing, you know, where you stop making plans. Because you had plans, but then there was a car crash and your plans disappeared. So you just...I just try and get from sunup till sundown. That's as far into the future as I can handle. And I've been fine with that. I have. But right now, looking at you...Damn, I have all kinds of plans. Don't freak out.

Meredith: I'm not.

Finn: You're not?

Meredith: No. You have plans.

Finn: I have plans.

(Meredith looks up and sees Derek who is looking at her.)

Finn: You all right?

Meredith: Yeah, just um, hot. And claustrophobic.

Derek: (To Addison) There's a patient I forgot to check on.

Meredith: (To Finn) You know, I'm just going to run and splash some cold water on my face.

Derek: (To Addison) Be right back, ok?

Meredith: (To Finn) Be right back, ok?

Addison: Ok

Finn: All right.

(Meredith is running through the hall, Derek is running after her.)

Derek: Meredith.

Meredith: Leave me alone.

Derek: Meredith.

(Meredith enters an exam room and Derek follows)

Meredith: Just leave me alone.

Derek: I just want to make sure you're all right.

Meredith: No! I'm not all right! Ok? Are you satisfied? I'm not all right! Because you have a wife and you call me a whore and our dog d*ed and now you're looking at me. Stop looking at me!

Derek: I'm not looking at you. I am not looking at you!

Meredith: You are looking at me! And you watch me. And Finn has plans and I like Finn. He's perfect for me! And I'm really trying here to be happy! And I can't breathe! I can't breathe with you looking at me like that! So just stop!

Derek: Do you think I want to look at you? That I wouldn't rather be looking at my wife? I'm married. I have responsibilities. She doesn't drive me crazy. She doesn't make it impossible for me to feel normal! She doesn't make me sick to my stomach thinking about my veterinarian touching her with his hands! Oh, man, I would give anything not to be looking at you!

(She turns to face him and he kisses her)

(Alex is walking up the stairs as Izzie is coming down them)

Alex: Oh! You look nice.

Izzie: Thank you. So do you. Hot date?

Alex: Nah. This thing is cheesy. I wouldn't waste a decent chick on this. You heading in?

Izzie: Yeah. Just going to see Denny first.

Alex: (disappointed) Oh. Ok.

(Denny's room, he is sitting in bed smiling)

(Exam room, Derek and Meredith are still kissing. She is sitting on the exam table as he takes off her underwear. She takes off his jacket. He kisses her neck)

(Denny's room. He appears to be in pain. He grips his chest. His monitor flatlines.)

(Izzie is in the elevator, fidgeting and smiling.)

(Exam room where Derek and Meredith have just finished having sex)

Derek: What does this mean?

Meredith: Uh, I had panties on. Black. Do you see them?

Derek: Meredith, what does this mean?

Meredith: Help me look for them. And fix your tie.

Derek: Meredith. What does this mean?

(Callie enters with a shocked look on her face.)

Callie: Oh, the nurse told me to come find you. You have to come now. It's Izzie.

Callie: (Stops her and fixes her dress) Wait, wait, wait. Ok, go.

(Callie looks back at Derek and gives him a nasty look)

(Richard is sitting in a dark gallery when Bailey enters)

Bailey: Chief.

Richard: Did my internship here. My residency. Came back here the minute my fellowship was done. The day they told me I would be Chief, I was standing right there in that OR when I got the news. Spent my whole career in this hospital. My whole life.

Bailey: Sir...Denny Duquette d*ed at 7:42 this evening.

Richard: Damn it.

(George, Meredith, Cristina and Callie run up to Denny's room, Olivia is standing outside)

George: What happened?

Olivia: I didn't know what to do. I didn't think you guys would want me to go to the Chief but...

Cristina: Where is she?

Olivia: She's in there with him.

(They all enter the room where Izzie is lying on the bed with Denny.)

Cristina: Izzie...

Izzie: I think it was a stroke. He was prone to blood clots. A clot could have formed on his sutures and traveled to his brain. It only takes a second.

Meredith: Iz...

Izzie: Dr. Hahn did a beautiful job on the surgery. But I don't know why I didn't think of blood clots. He d*ed all alone. He was alone.

George: There was nothing you could have done.

Izzie: I changed my dress three times. I wanted to look nice. I would have been here sooner... but I couldn't figure out which dress to wear.

George: Izzie. We shouldn't be in here.

Meredith: Iz, there are things that they need...they need to move him.

Izzie: Take him to the morgue.

Cristina: You can't stay here. I know you want to.

Izzie: Can you please...please just get out? I want to be alone with Denny.

(Alex enters)

Alex: Izzie, that's not Denny.

Izzie: Shut up.

Alex: Iz, that's not Denny. The minute his heart stopped b*ating, he stopped being Denny. Now, I know you love him, but he also loved you. And a guy that loves you like that, he doesn't want you to do this to yourself. Because it's not Denny. Not anymore.

Izzie: An hour ago he was proposing. And now...And now he's going to the morgue. Isn't that ridiculous? (She starts sobbing) Isn't that the most ridiculous piece of crap you've ever heard?

Alex: Come on.

(Alex picks her up and carries her to a chair and holds her in his arms.)

(Burke's room, his hand is still having tremors, Cristina stands at the door for a moment and then walks in and grabs his hand.)

(Finn and Addison are standing in the hallway when Derek walks out)

Addison: I'm sorry, there are ridic...Hey.

Derek: Hi.

Addison: Where've you been?

Derek: Uh, I was with...

(Richard and Bailey walk up)

Richard: Shepherd.

Derek: Yes.

Richard: Uh, have you seen Bailey's interns? Grey? Yang? I'm looking for Izzie Stevens in particular.

Derek: No. No.

Bailey: Chief.

(They all look up to see Izzie walking out followed by George, Alex and Meredith.)

Izzie: It was me. I cut his LVAD wire. I did it. No one helped me. And now...I thought I was a surgeon, but...I can't. I thought I was a surgeon, but I'm not. So I quit.

Bailey: Izzie.

(Izzie leaves with Alex and George behind her.)

Addison: I guess that...puts an end to the evening.

Derek: Yeah.

Richard: Yeah, I guess it does.

(Addison, Richard and Bailey walk off. Finn walks over to Meredith.)

Finn: Come on. I'll drive you home.

(She stands there, she looks at Derek. Derek looks at Finn. She looks at Finn who turns around and looks at her and then at Derek.)

Derek: Meredith?

(She looks at Derek)

Finn: Meredith?

(She looks at Finn. Finn and Derek exchange glances.)