04x09 - Crash Into Me

Episode transcripts for the TV show "Grey's Anatomy". Aired: March 2005 to present.*
Watch/Buy Amazon  Merchandise

A drama centered on the personal and professional lives of five surgical interns and their supervisors.

04x09 - Crash Into Me

Post by bunniefuu »

Credit & Thanks to ~ Vibrant Fields ~

Previously on Grey's Anatomy ...

Hahn: You're not attracted to me. You think you are, but you're not.

Christina to Izzie: You are nowhere near hard-core enough to commit to cardio.

George: Why isn't this easier?

Izzie: I don't know.

George: Well, I want my best friend back.

Webber to Bailey: You deserve the job, I should've given it to you in the first place.

Bailey: Things are gonna be different from here on in. Your love lives, your hopes and dreams, the little joys and tragedies that make you who you are have no place in my hospital.

Bailey to Tucker Sr: This is our son.

Tucker Sr: He's beautiful.

Christina's Bedroom. She is dancing up a storm.

MVO: We go into medicine because we want to save lives. We go into medicine because we want to do good. We go into medicine for the rush, for the high, for the ride.

Meredith stands in the doorway.

Christina: You're not dancing.

Meredith: I'm too tense to dance.

Christina: Which is why we're dancing.

Meredith: My problem is, I'm sleeping with a man who's dating. And I don't care if he dates Sydney. It's the woman he dates after Sydney, that's my problem. And if I had any sense at all, I would break up with the breakup sex. There would be no more breakup sexing. If I had any sense.

Christina: Shut up! Dance it out.

MVO: But what we remember at the end of most days are the losses. What we lay awake at night replaying is, the pain we caused or failed to cure, the lives we ruined or failed to save.

Meredith: You know, I'm gonna tell him. I don't want him seeing other people.

Christina: Good. Fine. Whatever.

Meredith: I'm gonna tell him, and I feel good about it.

Christina: Dancing makes you brave.

MVO: So the experience of practicing medicine rarely resembles the goal. The experience, too often, is ass-backwards and upside down.

Izzie comes out of bathroom and sees the two of them dancing. Izzie goes to her room down the hall. George is still in bed.

Izzie: I am so sick of Meredith and Cristina and their stupid love affair with each other that they have to rub in everyone's faces. This stupid dancing. Friggin' Bobbsey twins. Stupid!

George: You're ranting. It's kinda early in the morning for ranting.

Izzie: We're supposed to be the happy ones. We should be dancing, George. Why aren't we dancing?

George: You want to dance?

Izzie: Whatever. I'm gonna go in early. I'm gonna get on hard-core Erica Hahn cardio, and I'm gonna kick ass at it. And when I kick ass at cardio, it's gonna piss Cristina off, but it won't matter, because I'll be a kick-ass cardio god.

Bailey's Kitchen

Tucker Sr: I'm just staying, you're never here.

Bailey: Hold on, hold on. I mess up the rotation schedule, the residents are gonna dog me all week. Okay.

Tucker Sr: You're never here.

Bailey: I'm here in the mornings. I'm here at night.

Tucker Sr: You're here between midnight and 6:00 a. m.

Bailey: I'm chief resident now.

Tucker Sr: And I'm loading the dishwasher!

Bailey: (to the baby) Hi. (to Tucker) You volunteered to stay home with T-U-C-K.

Tucker Sr: Who else was gonna take care of T-U-C-K?

Bailey: I'm late for work. Okay. (to baby) Hey, honey.

Tucker Sr: We need to talk.

Bailey: Okay, uh, take the baby by your mom, and meet me for lunch, okay? We'll talk then.

Tucker Sr: Well, why can't we talk here?

Bailey: 'Cause I'm only here between the hours of midnight and 6:00 a. m. Now come on. Now just meet me for lunch, Tucker. Come on now.

Tucker Sr: Lunch.

Bailey: Yes, lunch.

closed office. Meredith and Derek are putting on their scrubs.

Meredith: Thatcher's not my problem. He can get drunk all he wants. I don't care.

Derek: Right.

Meredith: I don't care about Lexie, either. She's a big girl. She can take care of herself.

Derek: You talk about them an awful lot for someone who doesn't care. You care because you're you.

Meredith: You're gonna make me late for my meeting with Sloan.

Derek: Well, okay then, go.

Meredith stops at the door and looks at Derek.

Derek: What?

Meredith: Nothing. I'm ... gonna be late.

Hallway; Lexie is walking down the hallway. Alex is behind her and tries to catch up.

Alex: Hey

Lexie: I'm late for Sloan's meeting.

Alex: Yeah, so am I.

Lexie: Also, I'm not speaking to you.

Alex pull her into a side office and kisses her.

Lexie: I'm still not speaking to you.

Alex: You don't have to speak.

He leans in to kiss her again. Meredith walks down the hallway and sees him.

Meredith: (to Alex) Late for Sloan.

Nick's room; The room is packed with Nurses, Interns, Doctors.

Sloan: Okay, ladies and gentlemen, this is Nick Hanscomb.

Nick (played by Seth Green): Hi.

Sloan: Nick was lucky enough to have me remove a large carotid body tumor from his neck. The fact that I was able to get clean boundaries is pretty darn impressive, even for me.

Derek: Congratulations.

Sloan: Don't interrupt. Now despite the fact that it was a wildly successful surgery, we had to dissect out deep lymph nodes in his neck. There is now only a delicate flap of skin between his carotid artery and the outside world. That said, what am I worried about?

Meredith: I would think given the friability of the skin, that there's a great possibility that the, um, the artery could blow?

Sloan: Right.

Nick: Oh, don't worry. I've ... I've heard this before.

Sloan: If that happens, whoever's in the room, I don't care if it's a doctor, a nurse, an orderly, your job is to stop the bleeding then page me, in that order. Are we clear? Any questions?

Nick: They look scared.

Sloan: They're medical professionals, Nick. A healthy level of fear is encouraged.

Nick: Okay, then, uh, if I do die, it will have been lovely meeting you all.

Sloan: See? The patient is confident. You should be confident. That's it.

Ambulance Bay

Bailey: What do we got?

Stan: Jacob Nolston, 47, status post a double bypass surgery two weeks ago, now presents febrile with pain and tenderness in his surgical incisions.

Ray: We got a 10-car pileup on the freeway. You mind taking him from here?

Bailey: Oh, you got it.

Callie: Okay, I need a gurney for the transfer.

Izzie: I'll page Hahn.

Christina: I'll page Hahn.

Bailey: Sounds like we all agree. Get him inside and flip for it.

Shane: You're in good hands, Mr. Nolston.

Jacob: Thank you, gentlemen.

Callie: On three. One, two, three.

Christina: When are you gonna realize you're in over your head?

Izzie: When are you gonna realize that you don't own the cardio department?

Christina: He's my patient.

Izzie: I got here first. Dibs.

Meredith looks down the street and sees another ambulance on its way in.

Meredith: Hey, you guys.

Christina: You can't call dibs on a human being.

The ambulance is not slowing down and still headed their direction.

Meredith: You guys, I think we should move.

Izzie: Let go of the gurney.

Christina: You let go.

The ambulance is now very close and still at full speed with sirens blaring.

Meredith: Move!

All of them rush back into the hospital. The ambulance comes racing in and slams into the first ambulance, which flips over onto it's roof.

Jacob: Arrh! Ah, my leg!

Izzie: (to Christina) You okay?

Christina: (to Izzie) I'm good. Let's go.

They wheel Jacob into the Hospital. Bailey leads everyone towards the ambulances.

Bailey: Call the fire department! Get some gurneys out here!

Callie: Ray. Ray, can you hear me?

Ray: Stan? Stan? Oh, my god. Stan, open your eyes, man. Oh, man. Don't scare me like that.

Meredith: Let's get you guys outta there.

Callie: No, stop. Stop! Don't touch anything. Don't touch anything until fire stabilizes the rig. These doors aren't gonna budge.

Bailey: Uh, Torres, I need your help here! Get the driver!

Callie: Okay, on my way! (to Meredith) All right, listen. Just page somebody to help you and keep them talking. You got this?

Meredith: Yeah.

Stan: Don't leave. Don't.

Meredith: Okay. Somebody page the chief.

Other Ambulance; Bailey opens the back doors and sees a EMT and a patient.

Bailey: Hey, you okay?

Shane: No, but I'm not as bad off as this guy. He started coding after we picked him up. Mary had some kind of seizure.

Bailey moves to the patient. Callie appears at the driver's side.

Callie: Mary? Mary, come on, girl. Wake up. I need some help here.

Bailey: There's no pulse. We'll call the coroner. Let me check your injuries.

Shane: No. (to Callie) Is she dead?

Bailey: (to herself to get into position to check Shane) Yeah, I'll go around.

Callie: No, but she looks postictal. She's also got a bad elbow dislocation and a weak pulse.

Shane: She was driving, she was talking to me. She just started convulsing, and then we slammed into that other rig.

Bailey: (to Shane) All right. You think you can move?

Shane: Yeah.

Bailey goes to put a neck collar on Shane. He bats her away.

Bailey: Hey, now you know I need to stabilize you. You know the drill.

Shane: My c-spine's clear. I can walk.

Bailey: Well, come on. (she backs out of the ambulance) Where are you injured?

Shane: My gut. Upper abdomen. Listen, I know this is gonna sound weird, but do you think you could get me a guy doctor?

Nick's Room

Nick: How am I doing?

Lexie: Strong and stable.

Nick: Strong and stable? Two words that have never been used to describe me, ever. (b*at) You're a pretty girl. I hope you don't think that's rude. I'm just. I haven't been allowed to notice that kind of thing for a while and. Now I'm allowed.

Lexie: You're allowed to notice prettiness?

Nick: Well, I'm allowed to notice, uh, other women, women other than my girlfriend. My now, uh, ex-girlfriend.

Lexie: Oh, I'm sorry.

Nick: Yeah, giant neck tumors weren't her thing.

Lexie: She left you because of the tumor?

Nick: Of course not. No. She left me because, uh, I didn't make her laugh anymore, and, uh, she had just lost that lovin' feeling.

Lexie: She left you because of the tumor. That sucks.

Nick: Yep. (b*at) You seeing anyone? I'm ... I'm just making conversation. My artery's exposed, you know, which kind of limits my game.

Lexie: Okay, uh. Yes. Well, kind of, I am.

Nick: Nice guy?

Lexie: Yeah, he is. Well, he's kind of, um, he's kind of a nice guy disguised as a jerk.

Nick: Oh, yeah, I-I know that type. My.. my girlfriend was a ... nice girl, disguised as a vapid narcissist. But then it turned out she really was just a vapid narcissist.

Lexie: Ouch.

Nick: Yeah. So you really like this guy? Even though he doesn't have a super cool exposed carotid artery?

Lexie: Yeah, I do.

Derek: What's going on in the pit? You just wiped the surgical board.

Rose: Oh, uh, a couple of ambulances crashed into each other, so I'm canceling all electives to free up the O.R. s for emergent surgeries.

Derek: Are we friends yet?

Rose: I'm sorry?

Derek: Friends. Are we friends? I-I know I just learned your name and all, Rose, but I ... I'd like to think I could call you a friend.

Rose: Why?

Derek: Because if I'm your friend, I could tell you about the licorice stuck in your teeth. Whereas a mere acquaintance, I'd smile politely and pretend it wasn't there.

Rose: Thank you.

Derek: (as he walks away) Yeah.

Wife: Jacob!

Sandra: Dad.

Jacob: Hey, guys.

Sandra: You okay?

Wife: What happened to your leg?

Jacob: There was a ... a little accident, but, uh, I'm okay. It doesn't hurt.

Wife: Well, what kind of an accident?

Jacob: Um, the ambulances crashed.

Wife: The ambulances crashed?

Jacob: Sandra, tell your mother not to panic.

Sandra: Stop panicking, mom.

Lucy: Is his heart okay?

Izzie: What's your name?

Lucy: Lucy.

Izzie: Lucy. I'm Izzie. Your dad's heart is hurt, but we're gonna work really hard to make it better, okay?

Hahn: I was paged. Dr. Yang?

Christina: Oh, I ... Jacob Nolston, two weeks post-op from a CABG. My initial exam suggests a sternal infection.

Izzie: Our initial exam.

Christina: And he also sustained injuries to his leg from an accident outside the E. R.

Hahn: Okay, Stevens, when you can tear yourself away, page Torres about the shrapnel in this man's leg. And you can work with her today. I only need one.

Exam Room

Shane: No.

Bailey: You have to let me examine you.

Shane: I can wait. I'll wait for a guy.

Bailey: Uh, you're shy. Okay, I-I get that. This is no time for shy. Now my hands may be smaller than a man's, but my brain is much larger, I assure you. Now you're just going to have to let me examine you right.

Shane: No, do not ... do not touch me.

Bailey: For the love of ...

Webber: Dr. Bailey, you have an emergent situation?

Bailey: No, he says he wants a male doctor. He doesn't want my female hands to touch him.

Webber: Let me see his chart. Um, Shane. I'm Dr. Webber. I'm gonna palpate your abdomen.

Shane: No, no.

Webber: I thought you said he wanted a male doctor.

Bailey: He did.

Shane: No, look, I-I just. I meant. I-I want another. I want a different doctor. I'll wait for a different doctor.

Bailey: A different doctor?

Webber: You mean you want a white doctor. (looks at Bailey with controlled emotion) I have paramedics hanging upside down. Can you handle ... this?

Bailey: Yes, sir. I can.

Exam Room; Callie and nurse are looking at Mary's elbow. Derek walks in and picks up the x-ray.

Derek: Dr. Torres.

Callie: This is Mary Daltry. She, uh, lost consciousness behind the wheel.

Mary: You're the neuro guy?

Derek: Yes, I'm Dr. Shepherd.

Mary: Why did I have a seizure? I don't know. I mean, I've never had a seizure before. I mean, I'm fine, except apparently I caused this accident.

Derek: Call radiology. Let's get her in for an M.R.I.

George: Yes, sir.

Mary: How's Shane. My partner? Does anybody know?

George: I think he's with Dr. Bailey.

Mary: That's good.

Callie: Okay, I'm ready to fix the arm. Are you ready, Mary?

Mary: Is it gonna hurt?

George: Yes, but ...

Callie: George.

George: But Dr. Torres is very good.

Callie: Okay, Dr. Shepherd, are you good?

Derek: Yeah, I'm good. All right, as soon as I get some more information, I'm gonna let you know, okay, Mary?

Mary: Okay.

Derek: All right. (he and George leave)

Callie readjusts Mary's arm and she shouts in pain.

Webber: How's it going in there, fellas?

Stan: I think, uh, I think that they better get us out of here.

Ray: Yeah. If we're putting it to a vote, I think we better get out of here, fast.

Webber: I'm afraid "keep still", is the best we can do for now. Don't want to make anything worse. We'll get you some pain meds as soon as possible.

Stan: Sir?

Webber: Call me Richard.

Stan: Richard, can you tell me, my legs, are they broken?

Webber: I-I can't see your legs.

Stan: How come?

Webber: Oh, your ... your body's trapped in the door. You can't feel ... I can't. I can't. You can't feel that?

Stan: I can't. I can't feel anything.

Ray: His ears are bleeding.

Webber: Yeah, I see, Ray.

Stan: Can you get my wife? She works here. She's an x-ray tech.

Webber: You bet.

Ray: Stan, you don't die on me. You hear me? I'll be so pissed if you die on me.

Stan: I'm doing my best, man.

Webber: Get Stan's wife here now.

Meredith: But what do we ... how do we ...

Webber: we don't.

Meredith: Okay, we have a whole hospital ...

Webber: The moment we move him, he's gonna bleed out. All the medicine in the world won't save him. His wife has to get here soon if she wants to see her husband alive. Now move. (Meredith leaves)

Stan: Talk to me. I need you to help me hold on until Sara gets here.

Ray: I'm not helping you hold on, cause you're not dying.

Webber: Ray. Talk to him. Help him.

Ray: Remember the night you met Sara ... at Joe's? You used that ... that stupid line about ... About the bet over the song lyrics?

Stan: Right. Right. What was that song? It was, uh. It was. "I can see clearly now, the rain is gone.

Both: I can see all the obstacles in my way gonna be a bright, bright sunshiny day. It's gonna be a bright, bright sunshiny day.

Stan: What comes next?

Ray: I don't know.

Webber: "I think I can make it now, the pain is gone."

Stan: I, um, I can't believe Sara fell for that line. Listen, when you get outta here, you're gonna have a great story to tell. You can tell it in the bar. You tell 'em how you got into this accident and your best friend d*ed. Chicks love that stuff. (b*at) Ray. Don't tell Sara that I was talkin' about you gettin' tail right before I d*ed.

Ray: Okay.

Webber: She should be here any minute. Just hold on, Stan.

Exam Room ; Alex is tending to a patient with Sloan. Hahn walks in.

Hahn: Dr. Sloan. I have a patient, 13 days status post CABG with a sternal infection.

Sloan: So you're gonna remove the sternum?

Hahn: And I need you to manipulate the pectoral muscles so we don't leave a giant hole in the man's chest. Can you make time?

Sloan: Can you make time for a drink with me after?

Hahn: Did I mention time is a factor here? I'm looking for a yes or no answer.

Sloan: As am I.

Hahn: This may be enjoyable to you, Dr. Sloan, but I have a patient in serious condition. I came to you because legend has it that you're the best in plastics. But if bad jokes and sleazy come-ons are what I'm in for all afternoon, I'll page whoever's second best.

Sloan: Dr. Hahn. I apologize. And I'll clear my schedule.

Hahn: Thank you. O.R. 1.

Sloan: (to Alex at the desk) Uh, why don't you clean this up here and, uh, clear my schedule, and you can scrub in?

Alex: Thank you.

Sloan leaves.

Alex: (to patient) Sorry about that.

Ava walks in.

Alex: (to patient) I'm sorry. I'll be right back.

Alex takes Ava into the hallway.

Ava: So, coffee?

Alex: I can't.

Ava: You can't? When I was your patient, you made time for me.

Alex: 'Cause you were my patient.

Ava: And here I thought it was 'cause you liked me.

Alex: Look, I'm really sorry. I gotta finish up with this patient, and then I'm scrubbing in on a surgery, and it's one I've never seen before.

Ava: Can I watch?

Alex: What?

Ava: Can I watch the ... the surgery? Can I ... can you sneak me in?

Alex: No. You know how much trouble I'd get in for that?

Ava: Come on. Since when are you a rule follower? There's always a dozen people in the back of the O.R. And there's a gallery.

Alex: Ava.

Ava: Please.

Fire Department: We're ready to go.

Webber: Hold off for a moment. His wife's arriving. (to Stan) Stan, Sara's here.

Ray: Stan, wake up, man. Sara's here. Wake up!

Stan: (in a lot of pain) That's good. That's good.

Stan's Wife: Baby? Baby. Hey.

Exam Room; Izzie, Christina, Callie and patient Jacob.

Callie: Your x-ray shows that the metal's embedded in your femur, so I'm gonna go in and remove it while Dr. Hahn and Dr. Sloan repair the damage caused by the infection.

Jacob: Repair the damage? They're removing my chest bone. Why is this all happening? My kids shouldn't have to see me this way. It's a dad's job to worry. You worry about your kids. Worry about 'em every day of their lives. But they aren't supposed to have to worry about dad. They aren't supposed to have to comfort their mom. Why am I back here? My kids.

Izzie: Your kids are fine. They're taking care of each other, and they're fine. Lucy was hungry, and the others were, too, so your wife took them to the cafeteria. The point is, they're fine. They just want their dad to get better.

Jacob: You'll keep an eye on 'em? When I'm in surgery, you'll keep them updated? 'Cause my wife, she, uh, she gets panicky if she doesn't know what's going on.

Izzie: I will keep her updated.

Nurse's Station; Hahn is looking at charts. Bailey walks up.

Bailey: Uh, I would like to borrow Dr. Yang. It's important. Can you spare her?

Hahn: Torres, can I steal Stevens off your service?

Callie: I'll give her away for free.

Hahn: Yang's all yours, Dr. Bailey.

Bailey: Thank you.

Hahn: Yang, Stevens. Dr. Yang, Dr. Bailey has requested your capable hands. Dr. Stevens, take over prepping Mr. Nolston for surgery.

Christina: But what ... wait.

Hahn: Oh, just take it up with Dr. Bailey, Yang.

Computer Room; Alex is at terminal. Derek walks in.

Derek: Hey.

Alex: Hey.

Derek: Mary's scans come up yet?

Alex: Not yet.

Derek: What's going on with you and Stevens? Just because I don't sleep in your house anymore doesn't mean I don't hear the gossip.

Alex: Why are we talking about this? We don't talk. Oh, you're ... you miss Meredith and you're clinging.

Derek: I'm not clinging.

Alex: Oh, a little bit, you're clinging.

Derek: No, I'm just making small talk.

Alex: Ah, um, okay, cool. Here we go.

Derek: A tumor.

Shane: Look, I'm hurt. I'm really hurt here.

Bailey: You just lie there and try not to die. Someone will be here soon to save the master race from extinction.

Shane: Oh, okay.

Christina: Dr. Bailey, can I talk to you a minute? (they step out) I mean no disrespect, but can you please tell me you have an amazingly good reason for pulling me off of Dr. Hahn's service when you know I have been fighting tooth and nail to get into her good graces?

Bailey: You're not black. But you're not white either. (they step in) Dr. Yang will be examining you.

Shane: Oh, come on. Are you kidding?

Bailey: Okay, you have medical training. How long do you think you have to live if you have internal injuries? Exactly. I seriously recommend you let this fine doctor examine you. Dr. Yang, give him the best medical treatment possible. It's the law.

Christina: Sir, I need you to move your hands.

He moves his hands. There is a large swastika tatoo on his abdomen.

Shane: Look, I-I just didn't want her to see. I thought she might take offense, you know?

Ambulance bay

Sara: I'm not gonna leave you. I'm not leaving here right now without you. Okay?

Meredith: I've never seen her before.

Webber: What?

Meredith: I've never seen her before. I've worked in this hospital all this time, and before today, she was a complete stranger to me.

Webber: It happens. It's a big hospital.

Meredith: I've never met her before, and yet, I'm the person who handed her the worst day of her life. In her story, that's who I am. That's who I'll always be.

Webber: That's the job.

Meredith: That's the job, I know.

Webber: Look at me. This day, this day you feel helpless. This day makes all those other days when you fight to save a life and lose, this day makes you grateful you have a chance to do anything at all. You take it in. It's time.

Exam Room

Shane: Can you go easy? I'm injured here.

Christina: You've had plenty of morphine. You'll be fine. It's not like you're in a concentration camp or anything.

Shane: You know, when people are young or drunk, they get tattoos. They wake up to regret it.

Christina: Oh, so you regret it?

Shane: You gotta treat me like anyone else. That's the beauty of this country.

Christina: Oh, yes, it is.

Exam Room:

Mary: So, you're gonna drill into my skull?

Derek: O'Malley.

George: Dr. Shepherd's gonna do what we call a cookie craniotomy. Uh, he's gonna drill a very, very small hole, and then with a computer, he's going to guide the scope through your brain. It's as minimally invasive as possible.

Mary: It's just ... it's weird, you know, to be on the other side of all this. How are Stan and Ray? And shane? Oh, my god. Oh, my god. How did this happen?

Derek: She's seizing.

O.R. 1

Izzie: I always knew you were an ass, but seriously, you brought Jane Doe into the gallery? Are you trying to get yourself kicked out of the program?

Alex: She wanted to see what I do.

Izzie: I thought you were seeing Lexie.

Alex: I'm a popular guy.

Hahn: I'm sure whatever you're talking about is endlessly fascinating, Dr. Karev, but I kind of had my heart set on saving a life today.

Alex: Sorry.

Hahn: So, let's begin.

Lexie: Hey. Nurse Olivia said you needed to see me. Are you okay?

Nick: My book is bad, and I hate daytime television, and all my friends are at work.

Lexie: Yeah, well, I'm at work, too. I'm an intern. I'm supposed to be learning things.

Nick: You can ... you can learn about my artery. You can never know too much about arteries, right? Come on. I have no one to talk to.

Lexie: Fine, but I'm taking your vitals again.

Nick: Okay. So, uh, you want to help me plot my revenge?

Lexie: Girlfriend?

Nick: Here's what I'm thinking. I page her here, and then, uh, you know, I'm all, like, "I'm dying, and I just need to gaze at your beauty one last time," and then, and then she gets here, and I flash her the artery.

Lexie: It's mean.

Nick: Right?

Lexie: I like it.

Nick: Okay, can you get me a phone?

Ambulance Bay

Webber: Gentlemen, the moment they pull apart the rig, we're gonna come in and grab you.

Ray: You take Stan, first.

Webber: Once we get in there and assess, then we'll see who goes first.

Ray: No, you take Stan first. You take Stan first.

Stan: Ray. I think I'm gonna be okay. I'm starting to feel a little better.

Ray: Don't you screw with me.

Stan: No. No, I'm probably not as bad as I think. I'm probably just paralyzed. Richard, you think maybe that I can get out of here just paralyzed, right?

Meredith: It's possible. It happens.

Ray: Really?

Stan: See.

Ray: Okay. Okay.

Stan: Is my wife inside? She won't see any of this?

Webber: No.

Stan: You'll be where I can look at you?

Meredith: I'm right here, where you can look at me.

Stan: Then let's do this.

Ray: Try to live, man.

Stan: You, too.

The crane begins lifting the ambulance up. Stan is signalling Meredith.

Meredith: Stop. Stop. Stop! Stop! Make them stop! Stop! Stop!

Webber: What the hell are you doing?

Meredith: It's Stan!

Stan: Ray. Ray's back. It's in deep. He'll bleed out if you move us.

Webber: It's the oxygen regulator. It's embedded in his back. Ray! Ray, you still with us?

Ray: I'm here, chief. I'm still here. But my pulse is weak.

Webber: Okay, he's sweaty and breathing fast, and with the angle of that regulator.

Meredith: It's cardiac tamponade.

Webber: If that regulator caused a tear in his heart and we move him, the regulator could move.

Meredith: It'll make the tear bigger.

Ray: Please let's don't flood my heart. Please.

Webber: We'll stabilize him in the ambulance. Stan. You're a hero, man. You saved Ray's life.

Ray: Stan? Damn it, Stan. Stan.

Webber: Go get the ultrasound so we can be sure, and bring a crash cart just in case, and go find where Hahn is.

Christina: Okay. Films are up.

Bailey: Yeah, there's intraperitoneal bleeding.

Christina: His liver looks completely ruptured.

Bailey: Yeah, he's gonna need a laparotomy, but maybe it'll be pretty straightforward.

Christina: Oh, so I can get back to Hahn's service? Or not?

Bailey: No. If I have to work on this man, so do you.

Christina:Why? You don't need me. He has a swastika on his abdomen, a giant black swastika. My stepfather's parents d*ed in Auschwitz.

Bailey: Okay. You and I will do this. We will do this and we will consider ourselves having risen above. We'll rise ... above.

O.R. Callie pulls out a huge piece of shrapnel from Jacob's leg during surgery. Izzie sees Lexie enter the gallery and sit next to Ava.

Izzie: You're busted.

Alex: Save it.

Hahn: You're using a cable instead of wires, Dr. Sloan. I've never seen it done that way before.

Sloan: Tension banding. Learned it back in New York. I moved there after Columbia to study under John Seever. He was a great surgeon. He d*ed last year. I was wrecked, couldn't sleep for weeks. It was like losing my own father.

Hahn: What, are we on a date here? I was complimenting your surgical skills, Dr. Sloan, not looking for a window into your wounded soul. Clamp, please.

Christina, Bailey and several nurses are wheeling Shane to the O.R.

Shane: You can't operate. I won't sign the consent form.

Bailey: You need the surgery. You will die without the surgery. You may die with the surgery, but your chance of living is greatly increased if you let me operate.

Shane: And it's just gonna be you two in there?

Christina: Yes.

Shane: No. I need to have at least one white doctor in that operating room so you don't k*ll me on the table. No offense.

Bailey: No offense?

Christina: Did he just say no offense?

Bailey: Shepherd.

Derek: Yeah.

Bailey: I need O'Malley.

Derek: We're about to go into surgery.

Bailey: I need O'Malley.

Derek: You okay, Dr. Bailey?

Bailey: Don't cross me.

Derek: Oh, I wasn't crossing you.

Bailey: I'm rising above. I am rising above and do not want to be crossed while I'm busy rising. I have to operate on a white supremacist, and he has requested a white doctor to watch me to make sure that I don't k*ll his crazy white behind. Now I need O'Malley. Can I have him or not?

Derek: Yeah, O'Malley, go with Dr. Bailey.

George: Yes, sir.

Bailey: Get him to sign the consent, then have him anesthetized and ready.

Derek: Dr. Bailey, you're well within your rights to pass this on to somebody else.

Bailey: Well, that would make me like him, and I'm not like him.

OR Prep room

Rose: Oh, sorry, Dr. Shepherd, I'm running behind today. I'll be out of your way in just a second.

Derek: Well, actually, Rose, I'm early, so technically, I'm in your way.

Rose: Oh, well, in that case, don't let it happen again. (pause) You're staring at my chest.

Derek: What?

Rose: I think maybe you're intending to admire my ring, but it's coming off as you staring at my chest.

Derek: Oh, sorry. It's just that, uh, you wear your engagement ring on your necklace.

Rose: When I was engaged, I wore it on my finger. Now, yeah, necklace. The stone was my grandmother's. I don't want to lose it.

Derek: Sorry

Rose: Sorry, why?

Derek: About your engagement. Did you call it off recently?

Rose: Well, that's a pretty personal question.

Derek: Yeah, well, we're friends now. I mean, I saved you hours of potential licorice humiliation, so I think you can ... It ended a year ago, and you have nothing to be sorry about.

Rose: It was never gonna work out.

Derek: How come?

Rose: Because I was always very clear about what I wanted, and he wasn't. And there's no way to build a future on that.

Derek: Yeah.

Ambulance; Ray starts to panic

Ray: Please, please. I-I can't be in here! I'm gonna die in here!

Webber: No, no, Ray, Ray! Ray, you can't do that. You have to stay perfectly still. You cannot move.

Meredith: Ray, look at me. Don't look at Stan. Look at me. You are not gonna die today, okay? Say it!

Ray:I'm not gonna die.

Meredith: You are not going to die today.

Webber: He'll need a pericardiocentesis if it's a tamponade, but we need to get an ultrasound to be sure.

Meredith: I can do it. I can get in.

Webber: Meredith...

Meredith: I can fit.

O.R. Everyone is standing in the OR waiting for Dr. Bailey. Dr. Bailey has her eyes closed.

George: Dr. Bailey?

Bailey: I'm calling on Jesus this time. Don't bother me when I'm calling on Jesus. I don't do it very often. He might not hear me.

They all wait a moment. Dr. Bailey opens her eyes.

Bailey: Scalpel.

Surgery gallery

Ava: It's amazing, isn't it? How technical it all is, how impersonal? They're ... they're basically just mechanics, but, like, God's mechanics because what they're actually doing down there is saving a life. So you're a surgeon?

Lexie: Surgical intern, first year. What about you?

Ava: Oh, um, I'm not actually supposed to be here. The guy that I'm. ... I'm, you know.

Lexie: Your ... your husband?

Ava: No. No, no, not my husband. The guy that ... anyways, I'm just ... I wanted to see him operate.

Lexie: Oh, Dr. Sloan. Oh, I get it. No, no, I'm not judging. I mean, he's kind of insanely hot.

Ava: I mean ... he is, but I'm not ... I'm not with him. I'm with ... him. Do you know him?

Lexie: No. No, I-I don't know him at all.

Baily: I'm supposed to be having lunch with my husband, O'Malley.

George: Yes, ma'am.

Baily: I'm supposed to be having lunch with my husband, and instead I am elbow deep in a n*zi's gut.

Baily: No one better ever call me "n*zi" again.

Derek: All right, okay. A little suction right there, please. That's good ... good. Okay. All right. I should be able to access the tumor now. What's going on? Did we lose power?

Rose: No, the other monitors are fine. It must be the stereotactic computer. Nothing. It's dead.

Derek: Are you kidding me? I'm in the woman's brain. Are you kidding me? The navigational system is dead?

Rose: Should we try to get another machine?

Derek: Look, if I remove the probe without a guide, it won't be just the machine that's dead. Call the company. Tell them to get over here as quickly as possible. Tell 'em we need somebody here now.

Ambulance bay; Meredith crawls into the overturned ambulance through the side door window.

Webber: Take it slow, Grey. There's ... there's glass all around you.

Meredith pauses over Stan and checks is vitals.

Meredith: I'm sorry, Stan. Oh, I'm so sorry.

Webber: Here.

Ray (in barely a whisper): It's okay. He doesn't mind.

Meredith: We're losing him, chief.

Webber: Okay, get in there, Grey. Don't worry about Stan. Just get in there.

Exam Room

Nick: Hey.

Lexie: Hi.

Nick: You, uh, checking in on me again?

Lexie: Yep.

Nick: Will you call me strong and stable again?

Lexie: Let's hope.

Nick: What's wrong with you?

Lexie: What makes you think something's wrong?

Nick: Well, your cheeks are all flushed, which they ... they weren't earlier. Is it creeping you out, how observant I am? I'm sorry. It's the boredom, I'm telling you.

Lexie: Remember your girlfriend who just turned out to be a vapid narcissist?

Nick: Your boyfriend turned out to just be a jerk.

Lexie: Jerk, ass, and many dirtier words that are inappropriate for me to use in front of a patient.

Nick: I'm sorry.

Lexie: Yeah, me, too.

Nick: Well, you want me to help you plot your revenge?

Lexie: Okay.

Nick: Okay. Here's what I'm thinking. You go out with me. Just like that. Bam! New boyfriend. And he'll be all, "What's he got that I don't have? " And you'll be all, "carotid artery ... exposed. Top that, Loser." And he'll be all, "I can't. "I can't top that. No. I am a loser."

While Nick and Lexie share the joke, the laughter causes Nick's artery to blow.

End of Episode