04x11 - Lay Your Hands on Me

Episode transcripts for the TV show "Grey's Anatomy". Aired: March 2005 to present.*
Watch/Buy Amazon  Merchandise

A drama centered on the personal and professional lives of five surgical interns and their supervisors.

04x11 - Lay Your Hands on Me

Post by bunniefuu »

Credit & Thanks to ~ Vibrant Fields ~

Views of natural beauty, a stream, animals.

Bailey Voice Over: In the beginning, God created the heaven and the earth. At least, that's what they say. He created the birds of the air and the beasts of the fields and he looked at his creation and he saw that it was good. And then God created man. And it's been downhill ever since.

(See Sloan and Derek walking along a country path)

Sloan: The woman loves me.

Derek: Erica Hahn?

Sloan: I'm telling you. We went out last night, had a couple drinks.

Derek: You and Erica?

Sloan: Just me and Hahn. (pause) And Callie. All right, so it wasn't a date. (pause) You're gonna tell me where we're going?

Derek: Why does it always have to be about the destination? Why can't it be about the journey?

Sloan: 'Cause I'm wearing $300 shoes.

Derek: Meredith told me she doesn't want me seeing other people.

Sloan: She found out about you and Rose?

Derek: No. There's nothing to find out. It was just a kiss.

Sloan: Yeah, but you're not the kind of guy who makes out with nurses in scrub rooMs. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

( they come out into a clearing)

Derek: What do you think?

Sloan: It was more than just a kiss.

Derek: The view.

( It is a hilltop with an amazing view overlooking the surrounding valley.)

Sloan: Well, what am I looking at?

Derek: The view from my new house.

Meredith's kitchen: Derek is smoothing out house blue prints on the table. Meredith is cracking eggs.

Bailey Voice Over: The story goes on to say that God created man in his own image, but there's not much proof of that. After all, God made the sun and the moon and the stars, and all man makes is trouble ...

Derek: It's a classic Victorian design with an open floor plan. What are you doing?

Meredith: I'm making an omelet.

Derek: What do you think of the house?

Meredith: The house? I think the house is great.

Derek: If you don't like, you can tell me. It's your house, too.

(Meredith drops an egg on the floor)

Meredith: Damn.

Derek: So why are you cooking again?

Meredith: Lexie was having a bad night, and I thought I would do something semi-sisterly.

Derek: Really?

Meredith: Really.

Izzie's bedroom. Izzie is still under the covers. George is at the door.

George: Are you getting up?

Izzie: No. Maybe. I don't know. (pause) What's that smell?

George: Someone's cooking.

Izzie: That's not cooking. That ... That's not cooking.

George: You're gonna be late. You know that?

Izzie: I hate work.

George: Since when?

Izzie: Since I hate it. I hate Cristina. I hate Hahn. I hate it.

Another Bedroom. Lexie is walking up. ? is on the floor.

Lexie: Oh, what is that smell?

?: That smells like sulfur.

Meredith (distant from the kitchen): Breakfast!

Lexie: It's breakfast.

(she heads for the door, but ? grabs her to stops her)

? Don't go! Don't go.

Lexie: I have to go. She made breakfast. I'm going. Now stop. Off.

?: Aah (he gasps as the door is opened)

Living room. Lexie stops as Alex comes down the stairs

Lexie: Where's your girlfriend?

Alex: Back with her husband, I'm guessing. And I don't have a girlfriend.

Lexie: Or a conscience, apparently.

Alex: Yeah, but you knew that going in.

(she follows him into the kitchen.)

Kitchen. Meredith is putting a plate in front of Derek. Lexie and Alex walk in.

Derek: I'm not saying we have to build it now, but we have to plan it now.

Alex: Dude, what the hell is that?

Derek: Meredith cooked. She wanted to do something nice for Lexie.

Lexie: You cooked for me?

Meredith: It's no big deal. Just ... eggs and avocado and whatever cheese that was in the fridge.

Lexie: Oh, I love, um, avocados.

(Alex is having juice, watching Lexie try a bite)

Meredith: Is it okay?

Lexie: (nodding) mm-hmmm.

Meredith leaves. Lexie turns to Derek and shakes her head. Derek puts down his fork.

Bailey's Kitchen. Tucker carries a load of laundry to the table. Bailey carries Tuck to his seat.

Bailey: (to Tuck) Okay, honey. (to Tucker) This little man has been fed and changed. There we go. I put the building manager's number on my desk. Do not believe him when he tells you that he can fix the sink. Remind him he is the one that broke it when he tried to fix the pipes.

(Bailey stops to look at him. He is ignoring her, folding laundry. She starts to gather up her things for work.)

Tucker: Miranda.

Bailey: You're talking to me now? Now that I'm my way out the door?

Tucker: You're always on your way out the door. Are you interested in being a part of this family or not?

Bailey: OK, I can't do this, uh, now. I don't have time.

Elevator at the hospital. Hahn is in the elevator when Callie enters.

Hahn: Dr. Torres.

Callie: Dr. Hahn, anyone who can outdrink me and still kick my ass at the dartboard gets to call me Callie.

Hahn: Last night was actually fun, wasn't it? And I'm not a group person.

Callie: Me neither.

Hahn: I think it's because I generally don't like people.

Callie: Me neither.

(They are all smiles. The door opens and there is Sloan)

Sloan: Morning, ladies.

(They look at each other and laugh)

Hahn: Case in point.

(They laugh harder as they exit the elevator, walking past a bewildered Sloan)

Sloan (calling after them): What's so funny?

Hallway stairs. Derek is coming down them to the Nurses station, where Rose is.

BVO: And when man finds himself in trouble, which is most of the time, he turns to something bigger than himself to love or fate or religion to make sense of it all.

(she offers him candy)

Rose: Sweet tart?

(He takes it from her.)

Derek: Do you ever eat anything that even remotely resembles real food?

Rose: You'll have to take me to dinner to find out.

Derek: I can't do that. That, uh, kiss was ... unexpected. I like kissing you. I enjoyed kissing you, but ... I'm seeing somebody.

Rose: Meredith Grey. (in a whisper) Everybody knows about you and Meredith Grey.

Derek: I have to see it through. I'm sorry.

Rose: Don't be. It was just a kiss. See you in surgery, Dr. Shepherd. (she takes her candy back and walks off.)

BVO: But for a surgeon, the only thing that makes any kind of sense is ...

Chart corner. Christina is searching through charts and pulls out the one she wants.

BVO: Medicine.

(Christina turns and sees Izzie coming towards her.)

Christina: Back off. Elizabeth Archer is my patient.

Izzie: Technically, she's Hahn's patient, but whatever.

(She walks past Christina and begins pulling charts.)

Christina: Um, I'm scrubbing in on a major coronary artery dissection with Hahn, and what, you're not gonna fight me for it?

Izzie: I'm not doing the cardio thing anymore. I am over it.

Christina: You're over it? Whoa, why? What do you have?

Izzie: Nothing. I'm charting. (and she starts to walk off as Hahn approaches)

Hahn: Stevens, Elizabeth Archer's chart.

Izzie: Yang has it. You two have fun. (and she leaves. Christina approaches her)

Christina: She's not a cardiothoracic surgeon, but I could've told you that. I am the rock star.

Hahn: (She looks at Christina a moment. Then looks down the hall.) Karev, are you a rock star?

Alex: Always.

Hahn: You're with me today. Congratulations. Your life just got more interesting. (Hahn turns to go. Christina is dumbfounded and follows her.)

Christina; Karev doesn't know anything about Elizabeth Archer.

Hahn: You can read, can't you, Dr. Karev?

Alex: Uh, yes. Elizabeth Archer, 49, came into the ER yesterday complaining of severe ...

Christina: An urgent cardiac cath demonstrated dissection of the proximal two-thirds of the LAD. She was admitted last night for observation. (Hahn is still walking towards the patient's room, smiling at how ludicrous Christina is in her persistance.)

Hahn: While I admire your preparation, Dr. Yang, there is one thing about the patient you failed to notice. (she opens the patient door to an empty bed.) She's gone.

Waiting room. Callie is putting on her lab coat when a delighted Mrs. O'Malley spots her.

Mrs. O'Malley: Callie!

Callie: (surprised) Mrs. O'Malley, hi. How have you been?

Mrs. O'Malley: Well, I've been worried is how I've been. I've called, and I left messages. I know how busy you two are, but you can't pick up the phone once in a while? Never mind. Water under the bridge. I was in the neighborhood, and I hope you don't mind, but I just couldn't wait to show you some of the outfits I've been making.

Callie: Outfits?

Mrs. O'Malley: Now don't get mad, but Georgie told me you were trying, so ... What do you think? (she pulls out a hand-crochetted onesie) It's yellow.

Callie: (Doing her best to keep smiling) I see that.

computer lab. Bailey is looking at a monitor when Lexie enters.

Lexie: Dr. Bailey.

Bailey: Whatever it is, I don't have time. (Bailey's phone starts to ring)

Lexie: Uh, I think I need some epinephrine?

Bailey: Tucker, now's not a good time for ...

Lexie: Epinephrine?

Bailey: (to Lexie) The cart's around the corner. (To Nurse) Can you give her the ... ( Tucker on the phone) No, I told you, I put it on my desk.

(an alarm sounds from the hallway and "code blue" can be heard over the loudspeaker system)

Bailey: Uh, I have to call you back. (she hangs up and rushes down the hall into a patient's room with a nurse.)

(A female patient is laying her hands gently on a man who's monitors are beeping.)

Bailey: You're gonna have to step back from the patient, Ma'am. (the woman, Elizabeth, ignores her) Ma'am?

Elizabeth: Just one second. (she continues to move her hand over the man's heart.)

(Christina in the hallway notices and walks in)

Christina: Ms. Archer? What is she doing here?

Bailey: I have no idea. Who is she?

Christina:She's Hahn's patient. Ms. Archer, you need to get back to your bed.

(The monitor stops beeping and the man looks better.)

Elizabeth: There.

Bailey: What'd you do to him? He was in V-tach and now ...

Elizabeth: I healed him. I'm a healer.

(Elizabeth passes out. Christina catches her.)

Elizabeth's Room. Bailey, Hahn, Christina and Alex are all there.

Bailey: You're a faith healer?

Elizabeth: I'm a healer, and I have faith, but I'm not sure the two are related.

Hahn: Ms. Archer, you collapsed. You could go into cardiac arrest at any moment. So I'm less interested in what you do for a living than I am with getting you ...

Bailey: Wait. I wanna know what she did to Mr. Greenwald. He's been in and out of V-tach all day, and now he's stable.

Hahn: Maybe because of the Amiodarone he got two hours ago.

Elizabeth: Really? Does Amiodarone usually take two hours to kick in?

Hahn: Ms. Archer, you have a coronary artery dissection. Dr. Karev and I need to get you into surgery as soon as possible.

Elizabeth: I appreciate that Dr. Hahn, but I am not going into surgery until we've exhausted all the other possibilities.

Hahn: Ms. Archer, if you don't have the surgery soon, I can guarantee you that the blood supply to your heart will be cut off, and I'll have to open you up anyway.

Elizabeth: All I'm asking for is that you give me some time and talk me through the surgery that you'd like to perform so that I may visualize it while I do what I do. And if it doesn't work, then you can slice me open, okay?

Dr. Karev can work with you doing whatever it is that you do. I'll check in soon. (quietly to Alex as she leaves) Call me when she codes.

George is walking down the hall and turns the corner and sees Lexie at the med cart.

George: Hey, what are you looking for?

Lexie: Epinephrine. I need epinephrine.

George: Why? (she turns and he sees her face has a rash) What happened to you?

Lexie: I'm an adult child of an alcoholic is what happened to me. I have boundary issues. So when Meredith made me eggs this morning, I couldn't not eat them. I had to pretend I wasn't allergic to eggs. Now I have a rash covering my entire body.

George: Give me your arm.

Lexie: I'm codependent, my throat is closing up ... oww, and now my arm hurts. Thanks.

George: You're welcome.

Lexie: And thank you for letting me crash on your couch last night.

(Callie walks up behind him holding baby clothes.)

Callie (exasperated): You didn't tell your mom we broke up?

George: What?

Callie: Your mom's making us baby clothes 'cause she thinks we're trying to get pregnant because she thinks we're still married because she thinks that you're still the kind of person who would never cheat on his wife. Hand-stitched unisex baby clothes. They're yellow and green and go up to toddler sizes. And she's waiting for you in the lobby. (she hands him the clothes and walks off.)

Hallway. Derek catches up with Meredith.

Derek: So you never really told me what you thought of the house.

Meredith: I have a house.

Derek: That's your house. I'm talking about our house.

Meredith: Between yesterday and today you had plans drawn up?

Derek: I've had the plans for months. Between yesterday and today, I decided to share them with you.

Meredith: Why?

Derek: So nothing's really changed?

Meredith: Everything's the same as it was. It's just ... It's really a lot, and it's fast.

Derek: I'm just trying to take a step forward.

Meredith: Okay, well, there are about 100 steps between where we are right now and building our dream house. And they'll be fun steps and sexy steps, and we'll try not to fall down them together.

Derek: (He kisses her) Okay.

Flight of Stairs. Bailey is walking up, her phone is ringing. She checks it. Webber catches up to her on the stairs.

Webber: Dr. Bailey.

Bailey: Uh, s ... Chief.

Webber: Yeah, rumor has it Dr. Hahn has a patient who's wandering the halls?

Bailey: She's back in her bed, sir.

Webber: And laying hands on other patients?

Bailey: It was just one patient.

Webber: And healing them?

Bailey: For which there is a perfectly reasonable medical explanation. (her phone starts to ring again.)

Webber: Of course there is, but I can't have a hospital full of sick people thinking there's a miracle woman on the cardiac ward. Creates panic and hysteria, and frankly, it's bad for business. Are you gonna answer that?

Bailey: No, sir, I'm not.

Webber: Are you gonna make sure this woman keeps her hands to herself?

Bailey: Yes sir, I am.

Webber: Thank you, Dr. Bailey.

(He leaves. She answers her phone but the other person had hung up.)

Nurses station: Hahn and Alex are looking at charts. She looks up and is peeved.

Hahn: Dr. Sloan, why are you endangering the life of my patient?

(Sloan is wheeling Elizabeth towards her.)

Sloan: Because your patient had her hands all over one of my patients.

Elizabeth: She had a staph infection. I was trying to heal her.

Hahn: Don't worry your pretty little head about it, Sloan. (to Alex) Karev ...

Sloan: Have you noticed that even when you're insulting me, you manage to tell me how pretty I am?

Hahn: It wasn't meant as a compliment.

Sloan: Is this like a gender reversal thing with you, where you're the big man on campus and I'm the hot blond whose ponytail you can't stop pulling?

Hahn: Why don't you get that I just don't like you, that I think you are a crass, predatory ape of man who just happens to be a decent surgeon?

Sloan (to Elizabeth): You want to heal someone? Heal her.

Elizabeth: This is really toxic in here. Could somebody take me back to my room? 'Cause my healing team should be arriving soon.

Alex: I'll take you.

Waiting Room. Izzie comes down the stairs and sees Mrs. O'Malley.

Izzie: Mrs. O'Malley!

Mrs. O'Malley: There she is. Come here.

Izzie: What are you doing here? Does George know you're here?

Mrs. O'Malley: Callie said she'd find him for me. How are you, dear? You okay?

Izzie: You talked to Callie?

Mrs. O'Malley: Poor thing. It's gotta be hard for her, you know? I mean, you try and you try, but we're all human. Nobody's perfect. And in the end, it's nobody's fault.

Izzie: I'm so happy to hear you say that. I have just felt so terrible about it.

Mrs. O'Malley: I know. Me, too.

Izzie: You know, we just ... We didn't mean for it to happen. I know how that sounds, but it's true. We were ... We were drunk, and it only happened the one time. I know that doesn't make it right. But you have to believe me, it was never my intention to break up George's marriage. I didn't know I was in love with him. George was so distraught about it. I think that's why he failed the intern test.

Mrs. O'Malley: What? He failed?

Izzie: He didn't tell you that part?

Mrs. O'Malley: (she is becoming upset.)He didn't tell me any part.

Izzie: But you said you talked to Callie.

Mrs. O'Malley: About baby clothes. I thought she was having trouble getting pregnant. I made baby clothes.

Izzie (mortified): Oh, Oh, no.

George: Mom. (she turns and just stares at him.) What?

Izzie: (backing away) I'm sorry. I'm so sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry.

Hallway. Bailey's phone is ringing again and she is in a hurry.

Bailey: Hey, I know I said I'd call you right back ... Tucker, wait, I can't do this right now. I'm being paged to the ER. What do you mean, you're the one paging me? I told you never to page me at the hospital unless ...

(She has entered the ER and sees Tucker on the phone next to a crying baby on a gurney. She is stunned as he puts down his phone.)

Tucker: There was an accident.

ER. Tuck is crying surrounded by doctors.

Derek: All four limbs are moving. Pupils are responsive and dilating. There's no neurological damage. (He moves out of the way.)

Webber: Let's get him on a monitor and where's the X-ray for the trauma series? Order a left forearm with the X-rays.

Callie: There's bruising and swelling here.

Bailey: Mama's right here, little man. I'm right here.

Webber: (to Tucker) He was under a bookshelf?

Tucker: The whole thing must have fallen over on top of him. And all those medical books ... He probably tried to climb up and pulled it over. I heard him screaming and I found him.

Bailey: Tucker, I'm trying to hear. Stop talking.

Webber: Miranda, let me do that.

Bailey: No, I got it. I got it.

Webber: Miranda.

Bailey: What? (Webber pulls her away from Tuck)

(She turns and addresses Tucker)

Bailey: This is why we put the baby gate in the living room.

Tucker (very upset): The gate was open.

Bailey: You left the gate open?

Tucker: No, I didn't.

Bailey: What? Are you trying to say I left the gate open?

Webber: Accidents happen.

Bailey: Not if you take the time to bolt the bookshelves to the wall.

Tucker: I can't baby-proof every inch of that apartment and watch him at the same time.

Bailey: You weren't watching him, otherwise we wouldn't be here right now.

Webber: He's got decreased breath sounds on the left side, and his abdomen's rigid.

Tucker: What does all this mean?

Webber: There may be some internal injuries.

Tucker: What kind of injuries?

Bailey: We don't have time for questions. He needs a full trauma workup. Clear a CT and get me an ultrasound machine.

Waiting Room

Mrs. O'Malley: This is not okay, Georgie. This is not okay.

George: Ah, you're right.

Mrs. O'Malley: You're planning to what? You're planning to marry Izzie now? You're planning an annulment?

George: This is not about Izzie.

Mrs. O'Malley: What the hell is it about? Because this isn't okay. This isn't okay with me. I raised you better than this.

George: It's about the fact that I never should've gotten married in the first place.

Mrs. O'Malley: (she's in tears) But you did. You got married. You didn't invite me. You didn't let me plan a wedding, and I accepted that. I accepted it because you were happy, and that's all that mattered, but this ... I won't accept this. I don't accept this.

George: Mom.

Mrs. O'Malley: We're catholic. We don't believe in divorce. And we certainly don't believe in adultery.

George: I'm sorry.

Mrs. O'Malley: Well, don't be sorry to me. Be sorry to father Mike. You call him, he'll hear your confession and he'll get you and Callie into counseling.

George: It's too late for that.

Mrs. O'Malley: It is not too late. You made a vow to Callie and a vow to God. You just don't walk away from that. This is your soul we're talking about.

George: I have to go. (He walks past her to the ER)

Mrs. O'Malley: No, you will not. You won't walk away from me, George O'Malley.

George: (He turns briefly) It's Dr. Bailey. I have to go.

Hallway. Everyone is standing outside Tuck's room. George rushes in.

George: What happened?

Izzie: He got crushed under a bookshelf.

Christina: Multiple rib fractures.

Alex: Might've dropped a lung.

Meredith: They're worried there may be damage to the heart.

Webber: Yang and Stevens, get him to radiology for a head, chest and abdominal CT. O'Malley, tell the lab to move fast. Karev, clear out. We'll keep you posted. (to Meredith) I want you to stay with Dr. Bailey. She's pretty worked up, I want to make sure that doesn't get in the way of the baby's care.

Bailey: (as she walks away down the hall) I don't need a babysitter.

Webber: (without looing at her) I know you don't. (to Meredith) You stay with her.

Elizabeth's room. 2 friends are with her. Mai is standing by her bed, has her eyes closed, and is performing healing on Elizabeth. Alex walks in.

Alex: I'm sorry about that. Uh, there was an emergency. Dr. Karev, this is Don and Mai.

Alex: Nice to meet you.

Mai: (She doesn't look up at him)He's a skeptic. He shouldn't be here.

Elizabeth: Is Dr. Hahn coming?

Alex: Dr. Hahn's been called into an emergency surgery so she asked me to talk you through the procedure.

Elizabeth: Is she gonna be long?

Alex: I'm hoping she's done before your heart blows, but I can't make any promises.

Mai: I told you he shouldn't be here.

Elizabeth: I need someone who knows what they're doing to talk me through the surgery.

Alex: This ... This, it's crap.You're stalling. You're scared.

Elizabeth: Of course I'm scared. Surgery is ... It's barbaric. You tear flesh and spill blood. I work with light. I work with energy. I visualize healing. If there's even the slightest chance that what I do works, isn't that preferable?

Alex: I don't believe in what you do.

Elizabeth: Well, I'm not asking you to. I'm asking you to help me to do it.

CT Computer Room. Christina, Meredith, Izzie.

Meredith: Can you imagine how horrible this is for her?

Christina: This is why people should not have kids.

Izzie: What's the matter with you? That's Bailey's baby in there.

Christina: No, see, no. It's a trauma case. If we are gonna be at all effective in saving that kid's life, it can't be Bailey's baby. He's a blunt trauma case.

Izzie: You and Hahn are exactly alike. The two of you deserve each other.

Christina: Thank you.

Meredith: I thought you loved cardio.

Christina: Oh, no, no. She's pretending not to anymore. Can't take the pressure, huh, Iz?

Izzie: You're right, Cristina. In the contest to see who can be the best robot, you win.

(Christina does some robot moves and sounds. Izzie turns and looks down on the CT scanning)

CT Room. Bailey is moving the machinery. Tucker is standing by.

Bailey: Tell me again how this happened.

Tucker: You didn't understand the first time?

Bailey: Just tell me again.

Tucker: Somebody left the baby gate open.

Bailey: Somebody. And you ... You're saying you think I did this?

Tucker: I'm saying that you were in such a hurry to get out the house this morning, that you were in such a hurry to get to work and ... And get away from me ...

Bailey: This doesn't have anything to do ...

Tucker: (He raises his voice) Why do you think he even went into that room? You the only one ever goes in there. He went looking for his mama. He went looking for his mama and wound up in the hospital.

(They look at each other. )

Bailey: Guess you made a bad choice, huh, Tucker? You picked a bad wife, she made a bad mother, she made you stay home, raise your son, and then she almost k*lled him. Poor you, huh?

Nursing Station. Derek is charting. Rose sees him and approaches him.

Rose: I heard about Dr. Bailey's son. How bad is it?

Derek: (without looking up )We're still waiting on his studies.

Rose: Derek? Remember before when I was unbelievably cool and let you off the hook for making out with me? (George starts to come around the corner, but on hearing this ducks back out of sight) Well, now I'm angry.

Derek: Why?

Rose: Because you're not making eye contact with me. We are standing here talking about Bailey's baby, and you won't ..Look at me.

Derek: (takes a breath and looks up.) Sorry.

Rose: Better. Now it was one kiss, okay? It was a good kiss, maybe even a great one but are we gonna let one maybe-great kiss get in the way of what, up until now, has been a great professional relationship even though you didn't know my name until recently?

Derek: No, we are not.

Rose: So ... Friends? (she holds out her hand)

Derek: (he takes her hand and shakes it.) Friends.

Rose: Good.

Diagnosis room. Everyone is standing around looking at the CT scans.

Meredith: Bailey wants to know if Tuck's films are ready. (she sees the scan on the light window. Is that ... ? What's that shadow? Where's his heart?

Izzie: You can't see it because ...

George: His stomach's in his chest.

Christina: There's visceral herniation, a positive collar sign.

Bailey: (from the doorway) Which indicates a diaphragmatic hernia. It's a ruptured diaphragm, (she walks to the films and starts pointing out issues) which ... is the least of his problems, 'cause the force of the trauma injured his thoracic aorta. You see this, in the chest cavity next to the stomach? That's colon. And around the colon is fluid, which could mean the colon is ruptured and there's fecal matter floating around that could infect the aortic repair, and that ... Complication can be fatal.

(Everyone is silent.)

Bailey: What are y'all standing around for? Page Hahn and the chief. Book an OR. (they leave. She is left alone.)

Hallway outside the OR. Meredith and Bailey are in scrubs.

Meredith: Okay, they repaired the hole in the diaphragm, and Dr. Hahn is just about to inspect the mediastinum.

Bailey: Okay, is she gonna repair with sutures or prosthetic graft?

Meredith: Don't know.

Bailey (distressed): Don't know?

Meredith: She didn't say.

Bailey moves past her to enter the OR. Meredith tries to stop her. Hahn looks up as Bailey enters

Hahn: Dr. Bailey? Are you kidding?

Bailey: I need to be with my son.

Webber: Miranda..

Bailey: I have no intention of getting in the way. Just ... I can't stand out there. I can't. I need to be with my son.

Hahn: And what we need, Dr. Bailey, is to not have our patient's mother watching us perform his surgery. Dr. Grey, please escort Dr. Bailey back outside.

Bailey: No. There will be no escorting of Dr. Bailey anywhere, Dr. Grey. (To Hahn) You can proceed.

Hahn (stone cold): I will not proceed until you leave this OR. Now do you want me to stand here talking to you, or do you want me to try and save your baby's life?

(pause)

Webber: Miranda!

Bailey: I just want to hold my son's hand. I just want to hold his hand. Please.

Christina: I'll hold his hand. (to Hahn) Dr. Grey can hold this retractor, right? (Hahn looks at Lexie next to her)

Hahn: Yes.

Christina: (walking to Bailey) I'll hold Tuck's hand, Dr. Bailey, if it's ... If it's okay with you. I'll hold his hand.

(pause as she is torn)

Bailey: Okay, go, go.

(she leaves and everyone returns to surgery)

Webber: Everybody, let's get back to work.

Waiting room. Mrs. O'Malley is sitting. Callie comes up behind her.

Callie: Mrs. O'Malley. What are you ...

Mrs. O'Malley: I couldn't leave. When harold was here, when he was sick, Dr. Bailey took such a good care of him. I couldn't leave knowing her son was in trouble. Knowing both our sons are in trouble.

Callie: (sighs and sits down) Mrs. O'Malley, I just ...

Mrs. O'Malley: I know you think I'm old-fashioned, and maybe I am. But it doesn't matter what I think. In God's eyes, marriage is forever.

Callie: Well, if it's any consolation, George and I got married on the Vegas Strip at a 24-hour church of Elvis. I'm not sure God was even there.

Mrs. O'Malley: He's everywhere.

Callie: I used to believe in God ... and mariage ... And heaven and hell.

Mrs. O'Malley: But you don't anymore?

Callie: I believe in love ... and second chances ... And that even though George wasn't the one for me, it was okay that I believed that he was because ... (near tears) Well, for a little while, at least ... I got to be an O'Malley. (Mrs. O'Malley takes her hand) And I really loved being an O'Malley.

Elizabeths Room. Mai is standing with her eyes closed. In the background. Alex comes to the doorway and stops silently.

Mai: (resigned) He's back.

Alex: I'm sorry to interrupt, but your ... most recent echo shows the dissection is extending. You need to let me prep you for surgery.

Elizabeth: Oh. No, not yet. We haven't finished our work.

Alex: You're gonna die.

Elizabeth: Do you know how Mai knew you were back, even with her eyes closed?

Alex: She heard me?

Elizabeth: She felt you. It's like a pull, like a darkness.

Alex: Right, right. I'm the angel of death. Got it.

Elizabeth: No. You're not the angel of death, Dr. Karev. You're actually a very sweet boy. He's got a beautiful heart, wouldn't you say, Mai?

I would, but his gut and his throat ...

Elizabeth: They're blocked.

Second chakra's worse.

Alex: Seriously? You're talking about chakra?

Elizabeth: We're talking about how you've got a darkness at your throat chakra, where your voice should be because whatever happened to you was so ... So ugly and went on for so long that ... you don't talk about it. You were hurt so badly that sometimes you want to hurt other people just to ... Just to spread it around. You were a good boy, Dr. Karev. A good, sweet boy, but you're not a very good man. What happened to you?

Alex: (He's not sure how to take this, but continues on) Your artery is shredding. You need surgery. I'm not a very good man, but I do tell the truth. And the truth is, if you don't get this surgery fast, you're gonna die.

Bailey's Office. Derek sees Bailey through her office door. She is head in her hands whispering to herself. He enters and sits next to her.

Bailey (quietly): I left it on the desk, I went through the office door, and I closed the gate. I walked from the bedroom to the office. I wrote a note to the building manager. I left it on the desk. I was in a hurry so I looked at the clock and I walked out of the door. I... The gate...

Derek: This isn't helping.

Bailey (agitated): It was open. Did I close the gate? Damn it..

Derek: This isn't helping.

Bailey: I walked out of the bedroom into the office, and I wrote a note ...

Derek: This isn't helping. Stop this.

Bailey: (in tears) I can't remember. I can't remember if I closed that gate. That's my baby. I can't remember if I closed it.

Derek: It doesn't matter.

Bailey: It does matter! It matters because I'm his mother, I can't have done this to him. I can't have hurt him so badly.

Derek: You didn't do this. Things just happen.

Bailey: (shouting) No, they don't just happen. Things don't just happen. People make decisions. People prioritize. Okay, the world just doesn't happen! Okay, it's not on God. It's on me or it's on Tucker!

Derek: Stop it! Stop. Stop.

Bailey: It's on me!

Derek: No, stop it. Just stop it. (He grabs her and holds her as she cries)

Bailey: Oh, Lord.

Derek: You're a good mother. Tucker is a good father. You love your baby. People make mistakes. You didn't do this to your son, and neither did your husband.

Meredith and George are seen across the hallway through the office window.

Hallway. George and Meredith

Meredith: (quietly) He wants to build us a house, with kids' bedrooms and french doors, and that scares me to death.

George: Why? Just 'cause of the Rose thing? Well, that shouldn't scare you. It was just one kiss.

Meredith: One kiss?

George: Yeah, I wasn't eavesdropping. It wasn't like they were being secretive about it. It was just something that happened. Now that you guys are back together, it's not happening anymore, so ...

Meredith: Derek kissed Rose?

George: Yeah, but you knew that. (She looks at him. It dawns on him that she didn't know that as she walks away.) That I'm an ... An idiot.

OR. surgery on Tuck.

Webber: Okay, the stomach's repaired. There's no splenic laceration.

Hahn: Now all I have to do is get the chest tube in, and we're done.

Christina: (in a whisper) That's good, Tuck. That means you're in better shape than we thought. You're almost outta here.

Hahn: Dr. Yang, would you like to do the honors?

Lexie: I can trade places with you if you'd like.

Christina: Uh, no. I'm okay. I'm okay here. (She continues to stroke Tuck's hand)

Hallway. Webber and Hahn talking to Tucker and Bailey.

Webber: It was the stomach that ruptured and not the colon.

Hahn: Both of which we repaired, so the surgery was a success.

(Bailey is relieved)

Hahn: However, there is a lot of fluid in the chest cavity, so ... at this point, we have no way of knowing whether he'll be able to breathe on his own anytime soon.

Bailey: I know that. You don't think I know that?

Webber: Uh, we'll be moving him to the pediatric ICU. We'll be watching him closely.

Tucker: Can I see my son now?

Webber: Absolutely.

(Tucker and Webber leave for the ICU. Bailey hangs back.)

Bailey: (to Hahn) You're new here. You don't know me. And if what you did today ends up saving my son's life, I'll thank you for it. But if I never have to look at you again after that, that'll be all right with me.

(Hahn is resigned to this news.)

PEDS ICU. Bailey is sitting next to Tuck's bed. Tucker is standing near by.

Tucker: We never baptized him. We kept ... putting it off, thinking we were gonna find time, and now ...

Bailey: We will find the time. When this is over and Tuck is fine ... you and I are gonna find time, and we are gonna baptize our baby. (She reaches for his hand, but he pulls away and walks to the head of the crib. He strokes Tuck's head. Bailey looks at him. Then gets up and leaves. )

ICU nurses station. Tucker can be seen in the background through the room window. Izzie is at a computer. Alex walks up to her.

Alex: How's Tuck?

Izzie: He's still not breathing on his own. You know, I wish ... I could help, but I can't think of anything I can do. Cristina always knows what to do.

Alex: What's your deal with her? With Yang?

Izzie: Nothing. There's no deal. I don't ... I'm crippled with envy.

Alex: Of Yang? 'Cause she's better at cardio than you?

Izzie: She's not better than me. She just ... she knows what she wants. She has this faith in her skill, in herself, in her future in cardio. It's an unwavering faith. She knows who she is, and I want that. I was chasing cardio because I want what she has.

Alex: She's a robot.

Izzie: Not the robot part. The faith part. I want that.

Elizabeth's room. Elizabeth is resting with her eyes closed. Mai and Donna are at the foot of her bed standing silently. Pan out to the hallway to Webber and Bailey.

Bailey: There's probably a thousand scientific reasons why Mr. Greenwald's heart rate just suddenly stabilized.

Without question.

And why Mrs. Mccaffrey's staph infection just suddenly disappeared.

Webber: Sloan's patient? She's fine?

Bailey: I mean, don't get me wrong, I have faith. I do. But faith isn't medicine. Faith can't heal you.

Webber: Well, that may be so. But then again ... It can't hurt.

Hallway. Derek and Meredith walk past each other.

Derek: How's Tuck?

Meredith: He's intubated, and we won't know anything for a few hours.

Derek: How are you holding up?

Meredith: Who's Rose?

Derek: (sigh) Rose is a circulating nurse. I kissed her once. I'm sure you know that. That's why you're asking me.

Meredith: When?

Derek: When?

Meredith: When did you kiss her?

Derek: Yesterday. Now we can talk...

Meredith: So yesterday you were making out with scrub nurses, and today you're building our dream house.

Derek: Yesterday we were dating other people.

Meredith: That's not the point.

Derek: That is the point. I told you I wanted to marry you ... I wanted to build a house and a life with you, and you weren't ready.

Meredith: And Rose is? You don't want to build a life with me. You want someone. You want someone who wants the same things that you want.

Derek: I knew the minute I showed you those plans you'd find some reason to walk away.

Meredith: So what, you called my bluff?

Derek: I did because I can't do this anymore. I can't do the fighting, the back and forth. I can't. Are we together or are we not?

Meredith: We were together. I was in love with you. You didn't tell me you were married.

Derek: Okay, so now we're gonna have that fight again.

Meredith: You didn't tell me about your nurse. You want to know why I'm not ready to build a house with you? This is why. Because I can not trust you.

Derek: You can't trust anybody. And no matter what I do ... You're always gonna look for reasons not to trust me. I can't do it anymore. I. . can't.

Meredith: Well, neither can I. (and she leaves.)

PEDS ICU; Tuck's Crib. Tucker is head down on the crib rail holding Tuck's hand. Mai, and Donna walk in. Bailey comes in with Elizabeth and IV. Elizabeth comes to the crib and looks at Tuck, then at Tucker.

Elizabeth: (to Bailey) I need you to hold hands.

(She takes Bailey's hand and then Tuckers.)

Tucker: (confused as to why they are here.)Why?

Elizabeth: Because the energy in here, it's ... It's not healing. So I need you to hold hands and focus all of your love on this child. For a few minutes, I want you ... to try to forgive each other. Can you try to do that? (he takes Bailey's hand)

(Elizabeth drops their hands and lays them on Tuck's head. Pan out to the g*ng outside the room watching.

Waiting Room. Mrs. O'Malley is knitting a onesie. George sits down next to her.

Mrs. O'Malley: It's not for you. It's for little Tuck. Is he better?

cWe don't know yet. I know I haven't called you in a while and that there's a lot that I haven't told you, and I know I messed up. But I didn't want to cause you any more pain, and I didn't want to disappoint you.

Mrs. O'Malley: You disappointed yourself, Georgie. You should be disappointed in yourself.

George: I am. I don't even recognize myself anymore. This isn't the guy that I wanted to be.

Mrs. O'Malley: Who do you want to be?

George: The guy Bailey named her baby after. I want to be that guy again.

Mrs. O'Malley: You won't go to counseling?

George: That's just gonna hurt everyone more.

Mrs. O'Malley: I miss your dad.

George: Me, too.

Mrs. O'Malley: Move back home. I'll take care of you.

George: Well, I think it's time that I start ... Start taking care of myself.

(she nods and gives him a kiss on the cheek.)

PEDS ICU. Tucker and Bailey at Tuck's Cribside. Bailey looks up from Tuck and sees everyone outside the room. She goes out to them.

Bailey: Hey, it doesn't help me to have you all clustered here, watching. It just doesn't help me. I appreciate that you care, that you're concerned, but I don't need to be watched.

(Tucker rushes to the door and pounds on it.)

Tucker: Miranda, he's choking.

Bailey: He's choking ... (she rushes to the bed side, other doctors follow her.)

Bailey: Oh, thank God. (She is near tears of joy)

Tucker: What are you talking about?

Meredith:(helping to hold Tucker) It's good. He's fighting the tube. It means he can breathe on his own.

(They pull out his tube and he starts crying.)

Pan out to the hallway. The room door closes with Alex and Izzie watching.

Hallway outside the PEDS ICU. Alex and Izzie

Alex: I need your help. (He walks off and she follows confused.)

Elizabeth's Room. Alex and Izzie enter.

Alex: Hahn said you'd have a heart att*ck this afternoon, and you didn't.

Elizabeth: So you think there might be something to this healing thing after all?

Alex: No, but I'm gonna help you anyway. Or, uh, she is. Uh, this is Dr. Steven.

Elizabeth: Hello.

Izzie: Hi. I'm sorry. I'm not sure what I'm doing here.

Alex: You're gonna talk her through a coronary artery dissection repair.

Izzie: She's an expert?

Alex: No, no, no. She's a second-year resident like me. But she's been focused on cardiothoracics for a while, and she's seen the procedure done.

Elizabeth: Well, I appreciate what you're trying to do but ...

Alex: Uh, she's ... She's like a bright yellow, right?

Elizabeth: What?

Izzie: What?

Alex: What I'm saying is she's an optimist. She's the opposite of me. She's exactly the kind of person you want helping you, right?

Mai: (knowingly) She brightens you, that's for sure.

Alex: Shut up.

Izzie: What are we talking about?

Alex: Just talk her through the surgery before she croaks. All right? Can you do that? (He hands her the chart)

Izzie: You want me to talk you through it?

Elizabeth: In as much detail as possible, yes.

Izzie: Ah, Okay.

Alex: Yang's got nothing on you.

(Izzie, all smiles walks closer to Elizabeth and begins drawing on a sheet of paper.)

Izzie: There are 4 chambers in your heart, and there are 3 major coronary arteries that supply blood and oxygen ...

PEDS ICU. George and Lexie watching Tuck from the hallway.

BVO: As doctors, we know more about the human body now than at any other point in our history.

Lexie: They extubated him. His blood pressure's up, too.

George: Good. Did you know that his middle name is George?

Lexie: Tuck's?

George: After me.

Lexie: I thought Dr. Bailey didn't like interns.

George: Yeah, she doesn't. Did you find an apartment yet? Because I was thinking of ... I was thinking maybe I'm gonna get one, and ...

Hallway. Sloan is standing there, when Hahn walks by ready to leave. She stops, turns back and walks up to him.

BVO: But the miracle of life itself ... Why people live and die, why they hurt or get hurt ... Is still a mystery.

Hahn: Here's the thing ... You're too pretty.

Sloan: Oh, come on.

Hahn: No, so pretty, in fact, that if we didn't work together, we would probably be ... But the point is we do work together. And ... in order for me to do my job, I need to leave who I am outside the doors of this hospital. So.

(Callie walks out of the elevator, also ready to go.)

Callie: (to Sloan) Oh hey. (to Hahn) You ready?

Hahn: I am. (and they start walking out the door.)

Sloan: Where you guys going? You going to Joe's? I'll come meet you.

Hahn: (over her shoulder) Good night, Dr. Sloan.

BVO: We want to know the reason, the secret, the answer at the back of the book ...

Office. Rose is looking at charts. Derek comes to the doorway.

Derek: Do you want to go to dinner with me tonight?

Rose: I thought you weren't free.

Derek: Turns out I am. And I'd like to go out with you tonight. Do you want to go out with me?

Rose: That'd be nice.

BVO: Because the thought of our being all alone down here is just too much for us to bear.

PEDS ICU. Bailey is stroking Tuck's hair. Meredith comes in.

Meredith: How's he doing?

Bailey: He's gonna be just fine.

Where's your husband?

Bailey: Uh, he went home to get some sleep ... And to pack his things 'cause he's getting himself a hotel room tonight.

I'm sorry.

Bailey: For some reason, life just ... seems to make a lot more sense when you're looking at a baby.

(Meredith watches her and the baby. The camera pans backward away from the three of them.)

BVO: But at the end of the day ... The fact that we ... show up for each other, in spite of our differences, no matter what we believe, is reason enough ... to keep believing.

END.