01x06 - Fruit of the Poisoned Tree

Episode transcripts for the TV show "The Originals". Aired October 2013 - August 2018.*
Watch/Buy Amazon  Merchandise

The Original vampire family, from The Vampire Diaries, return and settle in the city they helped build, New Orleans.

01x06 - Fruit of the Poisoned Tree

Post by bunniefuu »

Rebekah (voiceover): My brothers and I are the first vampires in history, the Originals. Three hundred years ago, we called New Orleans home. Now, we've returned, drawn by a witch who seeks to use my brother Klaus' unborn child as leverage in a brewing w*r. But his quest for power has turned brother against brother, leaving our family more divided than ever. Now that Elijah has returned, can our family unite to face this new thr*at?

MIKAELSON MANSION

[Klaus and Elijah sit opposite each other in the living room, both reading. Klaus is reading "A Poison Tree" by William Blake, and Elijah is reading one of his mother's grimoires. A dead girl lays on the coffee table as they listen to classical music. After a moment, Rebekah enters]

Rebekah: So, this is what you do the first time we're back together as a family? Vampire book club?

Klaus: [continues reading] Reading edifies the mind, sister. Isn't that right, Elijah?

Elijah: Yes, that's quite right, Niklaus.

Rebekah: And what's this business? [gestures to the dead girl on the table]

Elijah: This is a...[gestures as though he's searching for a word]...peace offering.

Klaus: I presumed, after so much time desiccating in a coffin, that my big brother might be a bit peckish.

Elijah: And I explained to my little brother, that forgiveness cannot be bought. I'd simply prefer to see a change in behavior that indicates contrition, and personal growth.

[Klaus rolls his eyes guiltily, and Elijah gestures to the girl]

Elijah: Not this nonsense.

Klaus: Well, I couldn't very well let her go to waste, could I? [grins]

Rebekah: Well, I suppose I'll go fetch the rubbish bin, because she's staining a two hundred-year-old carpet.

[Elijah looks up from his book to see the girl bleeding out onto the table, where the blood drips onto the floor]

Elijah: Ah, yes.

Klaus (voiceover): [recites "A Poison Tree" by William Blake]

I was angry with my friend:

[Klaus looks at Elijah]

I told my wrath, my wrath did end.

I was angry with my foe:

[Marcel walks into the Palace Royale Hotel, looking for Klaus]

I told it not, my wrath did grow

And I watered it in fears,

[Cami brings flowers to her brother's grave, to find that someone spray painted "m*rder*r" over the headstone]

Night and morning with my tears;

And I sunned it with smiles,

[Father Kieran pulls wooden boards off the windows of the church, and waves to a group of men standing outside the door]

And with soft deceitful wiles.

And it grew both day and night,

[Klaus looks at Elijah, and then to Hayley, who walks through the room, her hand on her pregnant belly]

'Til it bore an apple bright.

And my foe beheld it shine.

And he knew that it was mine,

And into my garden stole

[Klaus watches Elijah set down the grimoire and follow Hayley into the kitchen]

When the night had veiled the pole;

In the morning glad I see

My foe outstretched beneath the tree.

[In the kitchen, Elijah finds Hayley making herself breakfast, and rooting through the fridge. Elijah leans in the doorway]

Elijah: [smiles] Good morning.

Hayley: [smiles] Hey.

[Rebekah enters through the back door, dragging a trashcan behind her]

Hayley: Listen, I know I'm the only one in this house that actually drinks milk, but would it k*ll any of you to make sure it's on the grocery list?

Rebekah: Speaking of, add bleach. [stomps through the kitchen and into the living room to clean up the mess]

Elijah: [digs around in a cupboard as Hayley pulls ice cream out of the freezer] You know, I do hope my siblings were hospitable to you, in my absence.

Hayley: In your absence, as you like to call it, which is a way-too-polite way of saying that your brother put a dagger in your heart...[looks up to see Elijah bringing a bowl, a spoon, and a bag of cereal to the counter] I have been att*cked by French Quarter vampires, I've had to live in a house with a secret dungeon full of coffins, and I was nearly m*rder*d by witches who are convinced my baby is Lucifer.

[Elijah smiles sympathetically as he pulls orange juice and milk out of the fridge, pours Hayley a bowl of cereal, and then fills it with milk]

Hayley: [notices the milk] Oh...milk. [b*at] They've been fine. Your siblings are weirdly protective, I know I have you to thank for that.

Elijah: I'm just happy to see that you're in one piece. [smiles] So, back to the murderous witches. [hands her the bowl of cereal] I have some concerns.

Hayley: They're evil. And, my life is still magically linked to Sophie Deveraux, which is not comforting.

Elijah: Yes, I think it's time we took care of that little problem.

Rebekah: I am all for it. As soon as they're unlinked, we get to leave this crap town. [drags the dead girl's body across the kitchen floor] Who do we have to k*ll?

Elijah: [thinking] Probably no one.

[Hayley looks at him questioningly]

Elijah: Alright, potentially everyone. [turns to leave]

TITLE AND OPENING CREDITS

ROUSSEAU'S

[Sophie chops up vegetables and talks to Sabine, who is sitting on one of the tables]

Sophie: [gestures to table and makes a face] I cook on that, you know!

Sabine: Don't get cranky with me! I'm the only witch who still likes you.

Sophie: [stirs gumbo] Yeah, it's not like I'm trying to save the witch heritage or anything. [turns to Sabine]

Sabine: They'll come around. They're just old-school, and scared.

Sophie: Scared of what? Your prophecy about the hybrid baby? Agnes and her freak-show minions had a real field day with that one.

Sabine: I can't help what I see, Soph. [shakes head]

Sophie: [smiles] Well, if you're psychic, I'm Martha Stewart! [walks toward table to grab some celery] Scootch!

[Sophie returns to her table, and Sabine hops down to join her. She sees a shadow in her peripheral vision and gets suspicious. Suddenly, two people in black masks come out]

Sabine: What the...?

[One of the masked people backhands Sabine across the face, and she as she falls, she hits her head on the table and falls unconsious. Sophie tries to fight the other two masked people off, but they blow some powder in her face that makes her pass out as well]

MIKAELSON MANSION

[Rebekah scrubs at the bloodstains in the carpet as Klaus continues to read "A Poison Tree."]

Rebekah: Poetry about poisoned apples from dead trees. Looks like someone's worried about impending daddyhood.

Klaus: [shakes head] Nonsense. Elijah's back. In his presence, all problems turn to pixie-dust and float away!

[Rebekah side-eyes him and grins, and Klaus grins back. Elijah joins them in the living room]

Elijah: Strange, I don't recall any pixie-dust from the darkness of the coffin I was recently forced to endure.

[Elijah opens Esther's grimoire and flips through it]

Rebekah: What are you doing with Mother's spellbook?

Elijah: Well, in exchange for my freedom, I promised the witch Davina that I would share a few pages from Mother's grimoire. To help her learn to control her magic. I thought we'd begin with a little unlinking spell.

[Rebekah and Klaus look at each other in confusion]

Rebekah: [stunned] Wait, you want to use her to unlink Hayley from Sophie Deveraux?

Elijah: Sophie brought us here under false pretenses! She doesn't just want us to take down Marcel and his minions, she wants to take Davina back. So, she yolked her own cause to ours, with magic threats and half-truths! Well, no more. As of now, our deal with Sophie Deveraux is null and void.

[Klaus and Rebekah grin]

Elijah: Niklaus, I need you to come with me. I need five minutes alone with Davina, you need to make certain that I am not interrupted. [points to Rebekah and thinks for a moment] You stay here and watch Hayley.

Rebekah: How did I get elected super-nanny?

Klaus: More importantly, who put him in charge? [follows Elijah out of the room]

NIGHTWALKER BAR

[Marcel sits alone, drinking a bottle of scotch, as various vampires around him feed on humans at the tables around him. Josh sees Marcel, and approaches him]

Josh: Hey. Is everything okay?

[Marcel gives him a look]

Josh: Uh, can I get you something?

Marcel: Look, I know you want a daylight ring, kid. Little heads up? I got guys eighty years ahead of you.

Josh: [nods nervously] Noted. Sorry.

Marcel: [watches him walk away] Wait! You know Klaus Mikaelson. I asked you to give him a lift home a couple of times? To the Palace Royale Hotel, right?

Josh: [stammers] Uhhh, yeah...the Palace Royale.

Marcel: See, I stopped by his hotel, to say sorry about an argument we had. Turns out he lied about living there. Lied! Do you ever hear the phrase, "Uneasy is the head that wears the crown?"

Josh: Uhhh...Lord of the Rings?

Marcel: No, Shakespeare. When I was a kid, Klaus taught me how to read with those plays. All about a king who gained the world, but lost his soul. But now, I get it! You see, when it's all said and done, and you look around at the empire you built, the only thing that matters is who you can trust!

Josh: There's gotta be somebody, somewhere that you can trust? "To stick to you, through thick and thin, to the bitter end." Sam and Frodo, The Fellowship of the Ring. [shrugs]

Marcel: [nods slowly] Yeah, there is someone. We used to be best friends. [pats Josh on the arm as he leaves]

DAVINA'S ATTIC ROOM

Davina is sketching with charcoal on her easel when Elijah arrives and leans against the doorway and knocks on the door. Davina smiles]

Elijah: [holds up pages of grimoire in a cloth] I made you a promise.

Davina: [smiles] Come in!

ST. ANN'S CATHOLIC CHURCH

[Cami sits in the confession room with Father Kieran]

Cami: Forgive me, Father, for I have sinned. It's been...oh, a year, since I've had a good conversation with you.

Kieran: Camille.

Cami: You've been avoiding me, Uncle K.

Kieran: My favorite niece? Never!

Cami: Don't lie. This is a church! [b*at] Besides, I came about professional advice. [b*at] About Sean.

DAVINA'S ATTIC ROOM

[Davina spreads a page of Esther's grimoire on her table]

Davina: It's a spell of unknotting?

Elijah: This is a sanguinum knot. The witches use it as representational magic. If you can unknot this using that spell, you will have taken a step towards learning control. This is one of my mother's later spells. It requires much more power than you realize. Now, if you can perform this, then I shall return with another page. [walks toward the door, then turns back to her] A spell of your choosing, next time. [smiles, then leaves]

[Cami and Father Kieran are still in the confessional]

Cami: I guess since I'm a masochist, I went by Sean's grave today and--

Kieran: Damn it, I was hoping to get that cleaned up before you saw it. I hope it didn't upset you too much.

Cami: It didn't bother me at all. That's the problem. That's why I'm here. I slept like a baby every night this week. Even though my brother hacked nine priests to death, not two feet from this confessional. [b*at] A guy I've been seeing, Marcel, has been blowing me off. Whatever, I've been on two dates with the guy, and I'm more upset about THAT than seeing "m*rder*r" scrawled across my brother's grave.

Kieran: [hesitates] It's called healing, Cami.

Cami: For months, after the m*ssacre, I couldn't think of anything else. And then suddenly...nothing. I need to feel that pain! Without it, I feel...broken! Empty! Like, there's someone to blame...and...I'm letting them get away with it.

Kieran: Listen, if you have found a way to turn it off, don't question it! The only person that is responsible for Sean's behavior is...Sean.

Cami: Do you really believe that?

Kieran: Yes. I do.

[Cami stares at her uncle through the screen for a moment, before she gets up and walks out of the church. Kieran sighs. Up in the balcony, Klaus watches Cami leave, and frowns]

LAFAYETTE CEMETERY MAUSOLEUM

[Sophie is awake now, and struggling against the grips of the masked people who knocked her out. The masked people shackle Sophie to chains hanging from the ceiling]

Sophie: Let go of me!

[Agnes enters with a bag and sets it on a table]

Agnes: Leave her be.

Sophie: k*lling me to get to Klaus, or his baby is not the answer!

Agnes: [roots through her bag] I'm not gonna k*ll you Sophie, I was there the day you were born. I am the last remaining Elder of our coven. It is my duty to protect our power, and our power means nothing if that baby grows another day. [turns to face Sophie] Sabine's omen was clear. That baby will bring death to us all.

Sophie: [scared] What are you gonna do?

[Agnes holds up a large, old-looking metal syringe with a long needle]

Sophie: [terrified] No, no, Agnes, no. No, no, don't!

[Agnes holds Sophie's head down and stabs the needle into her neck]

MIKAELSON MANSION

[In her bedroom, Hayley yells in pain as she grasps her neck. When she pulls her hand away, she notices blood on her fingers. Rebekah hears her shout, and walks in]

Hayley: AHH!

Rebekah: What the hell was that?

Hayley: Hell if I know, it felt like I was being stabbed.

[Hayley and Rebekah get a dawning realization that something bad is happening]

ROUSSEAU'S

[Elijah and Klaus find Sabine on the floor of the kitchen and Elijah helps her up]

Elijah: [gruffly] What happened?

Sabine: It was Agnes. [rubs head as she looks around] Her men took Sophie.

Klaus: Day one with you in charge, brother, and already the witch linked to Hayley has been abducted by zealots.

Elijah: [to Sabine] Where is she?

Sabine: If I tell you where Agnes is, you'll just k*ll her.

Klaus: Isn't that obvious?

Sabine: Look, I know she's a little...coo-coo, but she's our last living Elder. That might not mean a lot to you, but it means plenty to us. The Elders are the one ones who can do important spells.

Elijah: Like completing the Harvest ritual?

Sabine: [confused] You know about that?

Elijah: Oh, you'd be astounded by the things I know.

Klaus: [to Sabine] Allow me to entertain you with today's list of priorities. One, unlink your friend Sophie so she no longer controls the fate of the woman carrying my child. Two, convince my brother to accept my heartfelt apologies for some recently dodgy behavior. Three...there is no three.

Elijah: I believe what my brother is attempting to communicate, here, is that neither the life of this Elder, nor the Harvest ritual, nor your coven's connection to magic are of any relevance to him, whatsoever. [b*at] Now talk.

THE GARDEN

[Marcel walks through the gate to the Garden, and approaches Thierry's "cell" amid the groans of pain of the other "inmates."]

Marcel: Thierry.

Thierry: [weak and groggy] Marcel. Come to punish me again?

Marcel: Someone asked if there was anyone I ever trusted. I only came up with one name. You. So, Thierry, you and I are gonna have a little talk about Klaus Mikaelson. [grabs a sledgehammer and starts to break down the wall of bricks surrounding Thierry]

MIKAELSON MANSION

[Rebekah enters a room where Hayley is sitting in an armchair]

Rebekah: Time for the demon spawn to snack!

Hayley: I really wish you wouldn't call her that.

Rebekah: Oh, sorry, have you picked another name yet? [holds out basket of fruit] Take one, the plantation's lousy with them.

[Hayley chooses an apple and grasps it in her hand]

Hayley: I feel fine...which is weird. I'm sure it's Sophie-related.

Rebekah: Then, do me a favor, and don't die on my watch! I'll never hear the end of it.

Hayley: You know, when I first met you, I thought you were a real bitch.

Rebekah: [smiles] What changed your mind?

Hayley: Oh, I still think you're a bitch! [smiles] I've just grown to like that about you.

Rebekah: [chuckles] Aw, well, that's sweet of you to say. [face turns serious] Remember it when I'm gone.

Hayley: Gone? Where are you going?

Rebekah: I only came to town to make sure everything was okay with Elijah. He's fine, and he hasn't punished Klaus for daggering him, so...as usual, they'll be thick as thieves, and I'll be left to clean up the mess. [b*at] It's time for me to fly the coop.

Hayley: Oh...[goes to bite the apple, but then starts to feel woozy]

Rebekah: [frowns] What's wrong?

Hayley: [shakes head] I dunno, probably morning sickness...

Rebekah: [places hand on Hayley's forehead] Oh, you're burning up, actually.

LAFAYETTE CEMETERY

[Klaus and Elijah have found Sophie, and they break Sophie free from her chains]

Sophie: [groans in pain as shackles break] Agnes stuck me with a needle. Cursed objects were created a long time ago. We use them so we don't get busted by Marcel for doing magic. The one she used is called the Needle of Sorrows. It was cursed in 1860 when...

Klaus: Jump ahead a few decades and tell us what it does, love?

Sophie: It has only one purpose: to k*ll a child in utero by raising her blood temperature.

[Klaus and Elijah are both stunned and furious]

Elijah: It's for a miscarriage.

[Sophie nods]

Elijah: So, how much time do we have to fix this?

Sophie: It will do what it's meant to by tonight's high tide. And believe me, it will work. I saw her use a similar object on a kid who went mad and k*lled a bunch of priests.

Klaus: I'd like to have a chat with this Agnes. Where can I find her?

Sophie: You won't! There are a thousand places she could hole up to wait it out.

Elijah: That's precisely why we need to unlink you from Hayley. No more danger toward her or the child.

Sophie: [shakes head in confusion] No, what? If I am not linked to Hayley, I lose my leverage on you. We had a deal!

Elijah: We are not on the same side, Sophie Deveraux. Our deal no longer stands!

[Sophie is outraged]
THE GARDEN

[Marcel hands Thierry, who is sitting on a step, a canteen of blood, and sits down beside him]

Thierry: Does this mean you're pardoning me?

Marcel: Aw, you know I can't do that. You broke my number one rule, you k*lled a vampire, T. I let that go, it'll make me look weak.

Thierry: [chugs blood] I warned you about Klaus.

Marcel: Yeah, I should've listened. This guy's been in my town for months, but hiding where he lays his head at night. What else is he hiding, is what I want to know! I didn't listen to you before, but I sure as hell am now. Tell me what happened the night that got you put in here, and you might find yourself out by Mardi Gras.

Thierry: The night of the Masquerade Party, you sent us rousting in the Cauldron to mess with the witches. So, when Max came in rousting, he went straight for Katie's throat. Now, you said to roust, you didn't say to k*ll. Now, he's a nightwalker. I'm a daywalker. I told him to stop, and he wouldn't. So I stopped him. That night's on endless loop in my head. I think Max was compelled.

Marcel: No. All my guys are on vervain.

Thierry: Not if Klaus drained him! Max went missing for a couple days before the rousting, right?

Marcel: T, they found stuff you and your girl stole from me in her shop.

Thierry: Have you ever been in the Jardin Gris? You can't find your own hand in front of your face in there! And yet somehow, someone went in there, and after a couple minutes, found some stolen goods?

[Marcel wipes at his face anxiously, but he is obviously considering Thierry's words]

Thierry: Go there! See for yourself! But I'm telling you, besides Max, somebody else in the crew had to be compelled. Watch your back. [takes another swig from the canteen]

[Father Kieran has put up a "Substance Abuse Anonymous" sign in order to meet with some city officials]

Mayor: So, a few tourists go missing. Okay, we can spin it, no problem. But do you know how hard it is to sell a gas leak story to the city council when a bunch of church windows magically explode?

Father Kieran: Mr. Mayor, what is this, an electoral debate? Marcel overstepped, I will handle it.

[Klaus enters through front doors]

Klaus: Easier said than done. Marcel is quite the little warrior.

[Police officer tries to stop him, but Klaus breaks his fingers]

Mayor: Who the hell are you?

Klaus: My name is Klaus. And you lot are the Faction. Pillars of the community who maintain the city's supernatural balance. Well, I should know. I created this group. Only, in my day, it was a bunch of pirates and corrupt politicians. [looks around at all the men] Looks like nothing's changed.

Kieran: One thing has: it's exclusively human now. No vampires allowed, especially no Originals.

Klaus: [laughs] I haven't come to join! I've come to ask this group to utilize it's considerable resources to find a witch Elder called Agnes. All I need is an address.

Kieran: And, uh, why would we want to help you?

Klaus: What if I told you that Agnes was the answer to a question you've been asking since you ran screaming from this town? That she is the witch who hexed your nephew, Sean?

Kieran: We'd need some time to discuss--

Klaus: I DON'T. HAVE. TIME.

[Kieran chuckles]

Klaus: Nor do I like being asked to wait.

Kieran: You may have all the vampires in this town cowering in fear, but right now, you are dealing with the humans. And unless you plan on k*lling all of us, I politely suggest you do as I say, and give us time to discuss it. [gestures widely to the other men in the room]

Klaus: [leans in and lowers voice] You know what I like about you, Father? Is you're aware of our reputation, and yet still, you stand tall against me. [b*at] Admirable! You have one hour. [turns to leave]

Kieran: [speaks once Klaus is gone] I want that witch. Cell phone records, our guys in the 9th.

Mayor: For the vampire?

Kieran: [sighs] No. For me.

DAVINA'S ATTIC ROOM

[Davina continues to work on the unlinking spell Elijah gave her. She holds her hands over the knot and reads from the page]

Davina: Phesmatos omnio legares coldate sangorium.

[Davina stares at the knot, which doesn't change. She exhales in frustration and runs her hand through her hair before angrily hitting her easel]

MIKAELSON MANSION

[Hayley lays in bed as Rebekah blots sweat from her forehead and chest]

Rebekah: Stop fussing, will you? Elijah will be here any minute.

Hayley: I feel like I've been microwaved.

Rebekah: Hey! Just because you're carrying a baby, doesn't mean you get to act like one! I'm sure my little niece is healing you up as we speak.

[Elijah runs in with Sophie. Rebekah stands to greet them]

Rebekah: What the hell is she doing here?

Sophie: [sighs] I'm trying to help.

Rebekah: Help? You're the reason we're in this bloody mess! Why aren't we unlinked with this witch already, Elijah?

Elijah: Rebekah, let her do what she can.

Sophie: I may know a way to slow the fever down. But, I'm gonna need some special herbs. [to Rebekah] I'll text you a list.

[Elijah nods at her in encouragement, and she finally relents]

Rebekah: [smiles patronizingly] Fine. Happy to play the fetch girl.

[Rebekah stomps out of the room, and shoves the towel she was using into Elijah's chest as she leaves]

JARDIN GRIN VOODOO SHOP

[Rebekah frantically r*fles through bottles and jars, looking for the herbs she needs to help Hayley, when Marcel walks in]

Marcel: Isn't this Katie's shop?

[Rebekah stops, rolls her eyes, and sighs as she goes back to looking for the herbs]

Marcel: She leave you the keys in her will, or maybe it's just Help-Yourself Tuesday? [b*at] What are you doing here?

Rebekah: You know, I read if you mix mugwort with sage, you've got quite a vampire-repellant? Wards off even the most resilient pest. Why are you here?

Marcel: Just keeping my city safe from thieves and vandals. But, everytime I turn around, I catch an Original with their hand in the cookie jar!

Rebekah: Well, luckily for you, your "cookies" are the last thing on my mind.

Marcel: Oh, I can see that! [walks toward her] Though, I can think of a time when things were different.

Rebekah: Maybe once. Not anymore. [finds the herbs she needs] Camphor, found it! [quickly exits the shop]

[Father Kieran receives a text message from Chief Sullivan that reads, "3631 CHARBONNET ST. LOWER 9TH WARD." He puts his phone in his pocket and goes to leave, but he's stopped by Klaus]

Klaus: Going somewhere?

Father Kieran: [nervously] You're early.

Klaus: Well, it's a good thing I am. You seem hell-bent on enacting vengeance all on your lonesome. The trouble is, I need something from Agnes before you send her off to meet her maker. So, I propose we strike a deal! [sits down in a pew] Bring her here! In exchange, I'll even ensure your niece, Cami, remains safe. Oh, I'd so hate for her to get caught up in all of this.

[Later, Agnes is handcuffed and brought to the church by police officers]

Agnes: This is outrageous! What is the charge?

[The officers sit her in a pew and leave]

Kieran: Please, Agnes. You know that Marcel runs the vampires in this town.

[He is handed a folded cloth by the officer, which is revealed to hold the Needle of Sorrows]

Kieran: Who do you think runs everything else? [holds the needle up and calls out to Klaus] I believe this is what you were looking for?

Klaus: [zooms to Kieran's side] Hello, Agnes.

Agnes: You made a deal with HIM?

Kieran: After what you did to Sean, I'd deal with the devil himself just to make you suffer!

Agnes: [stands up and gets in Kieran's face] You can't hurt me, the entire witch community will turn against you!

Klaus: ENOUGH! Please, enough! I don't care about witch politics. I don't care about your ridiculous little Harvest ritual. What I care about is this trinket. [holds up Needle of Sorrows] Undo its curse, or I'll show you things worse than death!

Agnes: [smirks] Dark objects don't come with an off-switch! The curse took root in Sophie, she's linked to your devil child. It's just a matter of time!

MIKAELSON MANSION

[Hayley is wrapped in a towel, sitting outside beside the swimming pool. Rebekah stands behind her, checking her temperature, while Elijah assists Sophie in helping with the herbs]

Elijah: [removes his coat] She's burning up! We need to do this now.

Sophie: Get her in the water!

[Elijah jumps into the pool and helps Hayley in. Sophie mixes herbs in a cup and follows them in]

Rebekah: I don't see how a midnight swim is supposed to help.

Sophie: Her temperature is sky-high. The water, with the help of the herbs, should cool us down. [gets into the pool and hands Hayley a drink] Drink this! [to Elijah] You're going to have to get her heart rate down.

Elijah: How do you suggest I do that?

Sophie: Hold her. It's a natural human remedy to slow the heart rate and reduce blood pressure.

Rebekah: This is never gonna work.

Elijah: [holding Hayley bridal-style in the pool] Davina will break the link, we just need time.

[Hayley clings to Elijah and groans as she gasps for breath]

DAVINA'S ATTIC ROOM / MIKAELSON MANSION SWIMMING POOL

[Davina is sitting on her bed, studying the spell intently. She stares at the sanguinum knot on her vanity, and after a moment, she stands up and walks over to it. She picks up the knot with both hands and takes a breath]

Davina: [whispers] Phesmatos omnio legares cardate...

[In the swimming pool, Hayley hyperventilates]

Hayley: I can't breathe!

Elijah: Okay, long deep breaths, Hayley! Look at me. Long deep breaths, just focus on the sound of my voice. [whispers] You'll be okay. You'll be okay.

Davina: Phesmatos omnio legares cardate sangorium.

[The clock on her table chimes as it hits 09:00PM]

Hayley: AHHHH! AHHHH!

[The knot in Davina's hands floats in the air and begins to unknot itself]

[Sophie starts to gasp as the linking spell begins to lift. Hayley continues to groan in pain]

[The knot completely unravels itself in midair, and Davina smiles and giggles in happiness]

Sophie: [looks up at the sky] I just felt it lift.

[Rebekah sighs in relief. Hayley starts to calm down, and Elijah looks stunned. Hayley stands up on her own, but still leans against Elijah. Sophie removes one of her earrings and pokes her palm with it. Hayley doesn't get injured. Elijah holds her hand and he and Hayley stare at each other. Rebekah notices their shared moment, so Elijah quickly lets go and leads Hayley out of the pool]

Elijah: Come on, let's go.

Sophie: Elijah...as soon as your brother finds out that the link is broken, he'll k*ll Agnes. I know you don't owe me anything, but please, don't let him k*ll her.

[Elijah zooms out of the pool and pulls his phone out of his jacket on the table]

Sophie: Elijah! She's our only access to the power we NEED to survive. Promise me that you'll stop him!

Elijah: [dials a number into his phone and raises it to his ear] It's me, where are you? [b*at] Don't hurt her. I'll be there shortly. [hangs up and turns to Sophie] I'll make you one last promise. I won't let my brother k*ll Agnes.

[Sophie nods at him, and Elijah picks up his jacket and shoes and walks away. Sophie and Hayley turn to get out of the pool, but Hayley stops Sophie at the steps]

Hayley: I know you were just using me to save your people, but try it again, and I'll k*ll you.

[Hayley leaves, and Sophie sighs in defeat]

MIKAELSON MANSION

[Rebekah walks into Elijah's bedroom as he's finishing getting dressed in dry clothes, and stands in the doorway]

Rebekah: [smiles] The unlinking worked! Maybe now we can make plans--

Elijah: Not now, Rebekah. Can we discuss this when I return? [walks toward the door in a hurry]

Rebekah: [face turns serious] I won't be here when you return.

Elijah: [stops walking and turns to Rebekah] That sounds like a goodbye.

Rebekah: ...I guess it is. I only came to New Orleans to make sure you were safe. You are. I thought that I might be able to convince you to come with me, but here you are, rushing into whatever Klaus and Marcel and the witches have cooked up. And I finally get it. [tears up] You'll never leave this city. You'll never leave Klaus.

Elijah: [looks at her, and then walks toward her] Then you should stay.

Rebekah: [shakes head] This thing that you and Klaus and Marcel have, I want no part of it. [tears fall down her cheeks] I just want to be free.

Elijah: [sadly] Well, then, go. [kisses her on the cheek] You are free!

[Elijah leaves, and Rebekah tries to compose herself]

THE ABBATOIR

[Marcel finishes his drink as Rebekah walks into the room]

Marcel: Rebekah. Twice in one night. To what do I owe the pleasure?

Rebekah: Call me old-fashioned, but I believe farewells are best in person.

Marcel: [inhales sharply] You got Elijah back, and now you two are gonna tuck-tail and run? Smart girl. [b*at] Have a nice life.

Rebekah: He's staying. And I'm not running, I'm disembarking a sinking ship.

Marcel: People have been saying this city's been sinking since I was a boy. It ain't going anywhere. But hey! [grabs bottle of scotch] How 'bout one for the road? [pours a glass]

Rebekah: Why? So you can liquor me up and convince me to stay?

Marcel: [stands up and gets in her face] Why else did you come here?

Rebekah: I came to say goodbye.

Marcel: [whispers in her ear] Then say it.

[The stare into each other's eyes for a moment]

Rebekah: Forget it.

[She turns to leave, but Marcel grabs her wrist and pulls him toward her, kissing her. She pushes him away and glares at him for a moment, but then runs up to him and starts kissing him. He pushes her away and they start to undress as they make out. Rebekah shoves him onto a chair and sits on his lap as they start to have sex]

[Klaus, Agnes, and Father Kieran are still arguing]

Klaus: You're a piece of work, Agnes. But, guess what? I'm quite a piece of work myself. You know, I contemplated leaving bits of you artfully arranged outside your family's tomb? I thought it would leave a fitting message. [zooms over to Agnes and pulls her up into a chokehold] Don't. Touch. My. Family.

[Elijah enters and approaches them]

Elijah: Leave her.

[Klaus pulls Agnes into a headlock and stands back as he watches Elijah walk down the aisle]

Elijah: I gave my word.

[Father Kieran stands up to greet Elijah]

Klaus: You tend to give your word at the most inopportune times, brother. We've been doing things your way all day. Come on! Just one little snap and it's "Toodle-loo, Agnes." She deserves it!

Elijah: Niklaus, don't make another move. You have asked for my forgiveness. I will grant you that forgiveness, but do not make me break my word.

[Klaus glares at his brother as he considers it. After a moment, he lets Agnes go]

Klaus: [opens arms wide] My noble brother, how was that for personal growth, eh? Still, it is just like you to spoil all of my fun.

Elijah: [stares Agnes in the eyes] Oh, not exactly.

[Elijah zooms over to one of the men who helped Agnes and rips his heart out, throws a second man up into the air, and does the same to a third as he rips out the man's heart. He turns to Klaus with a bloody heart in each hand, and drops them to the floor. He pulls out his pocket square to wipe his hands as Agnes stares in horror, and Klaus grins proudly behind her]

Elijah: Now, I swore you would not die by my brother's hand. I said nothing of my own. [grabs Agnes in a chokehold and pushes her backwards] Nobody hurts my family and lives. [snaps her neck, and turns to leave] No one.

THE ABBATOIR

[Rebekah leans on the balcony railing and looks at the people on the street, wearing Marcel's button-up shirt. He comes up behind her and nuzzles at her neck]

Rebekah: Mmm. I've been away from this home almost a hundred years, and you haven't changed a thing in my bedroom.

Marcel: [smiles] I guess I was holding out hope that you'd come back to it. Though, I imagine it's not quite as comfortable as those beds at the Palace Royale Hotel.

Rebekah: [smiles awkwardly] It's plenty comfortable! [turns to her bag] I'm famished!

[She pulls an apple out of her bag and offers it to him]

Marcel: Nah, apples aren't my thing.

Rebekah: They were your favorite, one upon a time.

Marcel, Ah, they were! I'd get my ass b*at if I ever ate them working on that plantation. Even the spoiled ones. Now, they just remind me of a time when I couldn't have things.

Rebekah: [leans against Marcel and grabs his arms] Well, now you can have whatever you want. [b*at] Come with me.

Marcel: And go where, Rebekah?

Rebekah: Wherever we want to! We can build a home together, we can leave behind Klaus, this city, and those Orphan-Annie vampires...

Marcel: Whoa, whoa, those "Orphan-Annie vampires" are my family, and this city is my home.

Rebekah: It was my home, too, once. I left.

Marcel: You ran. I stayed! This empire thrives because of me, and you want me to run? A man does not run from his home!

Rebekah: I've lived a lot longer than you have, Marcellus. I have seen kings rise, and fall, but there is one thing I know to be true. It is that no matter how matter how big your empire becomes, it is nothing if you have no one to share it with. [she glares at him] You want New Orleans? Have it. I won't be here to stop you. [shoves the apple into his chest and leaves]

[Marcel stares out at the street as he thinks about what just happened. It looks at the apple, and brings it to his nose to smell it]

MIKAELSON MANSION

[Josh has stopped by to find Klaus. Hayley answers the door]

Josh: Where is he? I've been trying to find him all day. Marcel KNOWS that Klaus lied to him about where he lives.

Hayley: I'm not his damn keeper, Josh.

Josh: Fine! Just...tell him to call me, please.

Hayley: Okay. [shuts door]

[Josh walks away from the house, not knowing that Marcel is standing behind the tree, and has heard the entire conversation. Marcel sees a bunch of apples that have fallen from the apple tree and onto the ground. He picks one up, and we flashback to when Marcel was just a young boy, and was being whipped by a slavemaster. Young Marcel picks up an apple and lobs it at the man in anger. Marcel looks at the apple in his hand, and then looks over at the door]

[Someone knocks on the door again. Hayley goes to answer, thinking it's Josh again, but it's Marcel]

Hayley: Ugh, what the hell, Josh? [opens door to find Marcel and is startled]

Marcel: [smiles] Hi there, I'm Marcel. I don't think we've met!

[Hayley looks scared and angry]

ROUSSEAU'S BAR

[Cami is cleaning up at the bar when Klaus comes in to see her]

Cami: What are you doing here?

Klaus: Do you remember the promise I made you?

Cami: Promise? No. [looks at Klaus, and his compulsion kicks in] Yes. You promised you'd find out what happened to Sean.

Klaus: And I kept my word. Your twin brother's behavior was not born of natural causes. A witch hexed him to commit those murders, and k*ll himself.

Cami: I knew it. I knew he wasn't crazy. Who is this witch?

Klaus: Well, you needn't trouble yourself over her. She's already paid for her actions in blood.

Cami: Wait, what? You k*lled somebody?

Klaus: Ah, well, I had a hand in the matter, yeah...

[Cami slaps him in the face]

Klaus: [frustrated] Forgive me if I'm a little surprised by your reaction--

Cami: How the hell am I supposed to react? You just made me culpable in a revenge m*rder I never asked for!

Klaus: I've been alive for a thousand years, and I can assure you, many people have d*ed for far less! Besides, now you can find comfort in the truth! [awkwardly pats her arm]

Cami: [shrugs away from him angrily] The truth? You compel me, you make me at peace with something that should be tearing me up inside! I don't know how, but I WILL undo whatever the hell it is you've done to me! And when I do, you're gonna wish you'd never laid eyes on me!

[Klaus stares at her sadly for a moment, and the zooms away. A few seconds pass, and Cami suddenly forgets everything that just happened, due to Klaus' compulsion.

OUTSIDE ROUSSEAU'S

[Outside, Klaus angrily stomps away from the bar, but Marcel catches up with him]

Marcel: Hey, where you been?

[Klaus stops walking, and rolls his eyes in annoyance before turning to Marcel]

Marcel: Not still mad about our tiff the other night, are you?

Klaus: [smiles fakely] Water under the bridge.

Marcel: Cami's all yours if you're interested. I'm feeling like right now's not the right time to pursue a relationship. Life's all about timing, you know? Speaking of, I swung by your house earlier to commiserate over a drink, but I must have just missed you.

Klaus: Oh, the Palace Royale didn't suit me, I moved on weeks ago.

Marcel: [smiles and shakes his head] Nooo, I mean your other place.

MIKAELSON MANSION

[Elijah comes home to find the house empty.]

Elijah: [looks around] Hayley?

OUTSIDE ROUSSEAU'S

Marcel: Interesting location to put down your roots, the same plantation where I was a sl*ve. I guess that's why you never invited me over.

Klaus: Well, how rude of me. I'll speak to Elijah. I'm sure he'll be pleased to host you and Davina for the evening! Especially after you were so hospitable to him. [smiles]

Marcel: [smiles and chuckles] Good! I look forward to it.

[He and Klaus continue to shake hands, but as soon as Marcel leaves, Klaus' smile disappears and begins to look worried]

MIKAELSON MANSION / REBEKAH'S RED CONVERTIBLE

[Elijah calls Rebekah from the house, as she is on her way out of town in her car]

Rebekah: [on speakerphone] Goodbye means goodbye, Elijah.

Elijah: [worried] Is she with you?

Rebekah: What the hell are you talking about?

Elijah: Hayley's gone, where is she?

Rebekah: WHAT?

[Klaus walks into Hayley's room anxiously and joins Elijah]

Klaus: Marcel was here.

[Elijah looks stunned, and absently drops the phone from his ear]

END CREDITS

Wiki