01x13 - Hanging by a Moment

Episode transcripts for the TV show "One Tree Hill". Aired September 2003 - April 2012.*

Moderator: UsuallyAlly

Watch/Buy Amazon  Merchandise

This series follows the eventful lives of some high-school kids in Tree Hill, a small but not too quiet town in North Carolina, where the greatest source of pride is the high school basketball team, the Ravens.

01x13 - Hanging by a Moment

Post by bunniefuu »

[Inside the Gym]

(Haley is about to sh**t a free throw and everyone is cheering her on)

CROWD: (cheering) Tutor Girl, Tutor Girl Don’t Screw Up!

MOUTH: Okay folks, this is it. Haley James steps to the line with a flawless 4.0 GPA hanging in the balance. She’s going to need this free throw to pass Phys-Ed. Otherwise, her perfect grade point average is history.

NATHAN: Come on, Hales. You can do it.

WHITEY: Don’t miss it, tutor girl.

(she sh**t and it lands a few feet in front of her)

[Haley’s room]

(She wakes up suddenly from her dream and looks confused)

[School Hall]

(Peyton is walking downstairs and Lucas catches up)

LUCAS: Peyton. So, how’s everything with your dad?

PEYTON: It’s fine, thanks.

LUCAS: Yeah. And how about with us?

PEYTON: Moment of weakness, right? I’ve been feeling guilty about it all weekend

LUCAS: Me too

PEYTON: Listen, lets just bury it and pretend it didn’t happen, okay?

LUCAS: Sure

BROOKE: Hi friend! Girl. Boy. What’s the latest scandal? You two never have any good gossip. Are we still redoing your bedroom tonight?

PEYTON: Yes

BROOKE: Terrific. (To Lucas) You up for some heavy lifting?

LUCAS: Well I…

BROOKE: …Would love to help?

LUCAS: Yeah

BROOKE: You me and broody in your bedroom all night. The web cam pervs are gonna love it.

[Therapist Office]

(Dan and Deb sitting on opposite sides of the couch)

DEB: Dan has a son from a previous relationship. Lucas.

DAN: She’s know about this kid for years and all of a sudden it’s grounds for separation?

DEB: He joined Nathan’s basketball team. That’s when things got worse.

THERAPIST: Dan as I recall you chose not to be a part of Lucas’ life.

DAN: (Walking to her wall of degrees to change the subject) Richmond University. Wow. Not exactly the end all and be all to psychology degrees. Am I right, doc?

THERAPIST: We were talking about Lucas.

DAN: Hey doc did you ever read that article about the mountain climber who had his arm wedged beneath a boulder? His arm was caught beneath a thousand pound rock. So he cut it off just below the elbow using nothing but a pocket Kn*fe. Of course he had to break the bone first. Some people find that hard to believe. But it’s simple really. He found himself faced with a difficult situation, he did what he had to do to survive. I made a choice. To cut away the part of me that he me trapped. You can question my judgment if you want to. The fact of the matter is, you can never really understand it, until it’s you that’s caught beneath the weight.

DEB: And was I a weight too? Because I got pregnant shortly after Karen. How do you explain being with me and not her?

DAN: Because with you I saw a future.

[Basketball locker room]

(Lucas looks at himself in front of his locker and takes off Brooke’s necklace)

[Hall]

(Peyton walks by with a friend. Lucas comes out of the locker room and stops her)

LUCAS: Hey, Peyton.

PEYTON: Oh, hey Brooke had to take off early so she said for you to call her.

LUCAS: Okay. You got a sec?

PEYTON: Uh, yeah. What’s up?

LUCAS: I lied. Okay I can’t bury what happened between us.

PEYTON: Lucas, Brooke is my best friend. And she’s your girlfriend.

LUCAS: I know. But…

PEYTON: But nothing. Okay? That’s where we’re at right now. It’s not fair to her to make a big deal out of what happened. It didn’t mean anything. I’m sorry. (turns to leave)

LUCAS: Peyton. (Pulls her back and kisses her. Then she kisses him back) See? It does mean something.

PEYTON: It can’t

LUCAS: But it does.

PEYTON: Lucas, you’re dating Brooke.

LUCAS: I know. And she’s great. Okay? But, she’s not you. Look ever since you came to my room and you told me how you felt about me I’ve been hiding with Brooke. Okay? I’ve been trying not to get hurt again. I don’t want to hide anymore.

PEYTON: Even if we could be together, what makes you think it would work?

LUCAS: Cause I feel it in my heart. Don’t you?

PEYTON: Yes. So what are we going to do?

[Lucas’ room]

(He’s typing on his computer when Haley comes in)

HALEY: What’s up, loser?

LUCAS: Hey, you. I’m just finishing up this email to my mom cause she comes back tomorrow.

HALEY: Oh cool. Tell her I said ’Hi’. You’re going to call me when she gets back from the airport, right?

LUCAS: Oh yeah

HALEY: Cool. So, I need to borrow a couple of things from you, like your basketball and you.

LUCAS: Okay, why?

HALEY: Because I’m totally flagging PE and I need you to show me how to throw a stinking free sh*t.

LUCAS: (laughs) Free throw.

HALEY: Whatever

LUCAS: You know I’d love to, Hales, but I’ve got to do some stuff with Brooke and Peyton tonight.

HALEY: Like what?

LUCAS: I kind of need to talk to you about something.

HALEY: What’s going on?

(Brooke walks in)

BROOKE: Hey, tutor girl.

HALEY: Tigger, what’s up?

LUCAS: (to Haley) Never mind. Rain check?

HALEY: (leaving) You kids have fun.

BROOKE: You ready to go?

LUCAS: Yeah, sure.

BROOKE: Then lets go, boyfriend.

[Whitey’s office]

KEITH: What’s the good word, coach?

WHITEY: There is no good word. What brings you around here?

KEITH: Oh, a little victory celebration.

WHITEY: What’s the occasion?

KEITH: I thought you might want to toast your 500th win.

WHITEY: 499. I haven’t made it yet. (Pulls out two mugs for Keith to pour drinks into)

KEITH: Yeah well I’m b*ating the rush.

WHITEY: well I guess this could serve as a dual toast.

KEITH: Why’s that?

WHITEY: I’m thinking of stepping down. That come as a big surprise to you, Keith?

KEITH: Well yeah. Yeah it does.

WHITEY: A fellow can’t coach forever.

KEITH: Well he can’t quit while he still loves the game.

WHITEY: Who says I love it?

KEITH: You do. Every time you step out onto that court. This game is what keeps you young. Without it you’d, I don’t know you’d be off somewhere babbling, wearing a dress.

WHITNEY: You haven’t seen me at home. I promised myself I’d coach for 20 years, then Camilla and I would start living. 35 years later, here I am.

[Basketball courts-outside]

(Haley is trying to sh**t but misses)

NATHAN: (catching the ball) Was that your jump sh*t? Cause if that was your jump sh*t, I can’t date you anymore. (Haley laughs) My mom said you’d be here. Something about a grade?

HALEY: Yeah. You cannot be here right now.

NATHAN: Why not?

HALEY: Because I look stupid.

NATHAN: You realize I’ve seen you in that crocheted poncho thing you wear, right? (hands her the ball)

HALEY: Come on this is embarrassing! I want you to think I’m…not embarrassing.

NATHAN: You don’t embarrass me, Haley.

HALEY: Oh yeah? Okay. (sh**t the ball and it goes right at Nathan)

NATHAN: Okay, I take that back.

HALEY: I can’t do it.

NATHAN: Yes you can. Alright, square your shoulders, to the basket. And you’ve got to bring the ball up right past your nose like this. Okay? Bend your knees a little. Relax your hips. And just sh**t. (She sh**t and hits the rim) Okay, that wasn’t perfect but it also wasn’t embarrassing. It was actually kind of sexy.

[Karen’s café]

DEB: (to a customer) Come again

CUSTOMER: Thanks.

KEITH: I got to hand it to you, Deb. You’ve done one hell of a job here.

DEB: Thanks, Keith.

KEITH: So I hope you don’t take this the wrong way, but I’m just really excited about Karen coming back.

DEB: Yeah, so am I

KEITH: If you don’t mind me asking, how are things with you and Dan?

DEB: Oh I don’t know. We’re going to therapy but I’m not sure we can find our way back.

KEITH: To where?

DEB: The people we used to be. We used to laugh more. We were kind to each other. We were in love.

KEITH: What about now?

DEB: I honestly don’t know.

[Beach]

(Dan is walking and a woman is chasing her hat behind him)

WOMAN: A little help! (Dan picks her hat up) Oh thanks.

DAN: My pleasure.

WOMAN: I’m Carrie

DAN: Dan.

CARRIE: Dan. I was wondering what the name of the attractive man who jogs past my bungalow every morning was.

DAN: Yeah? What was it? So what are you doing on my beach, Carrie?

CARRIE: I heard it’s a great place to pick up guys.

DAN: Only the light ones. Well, it was a pleasure meeting you. Even with the ugly hat.

CARRIE: Um, Dan. The yellow cottage is mine. Come by and see me sometime. (Dan smiles and leaves)

[Peyton’s house]

(Peyton answers the door)

BROOKE: Hey girly, lets do some damage. (She walks inside leaving Peyton and Lucas alone)

PEYTON: We’re going to hell.

LUCAS: Peyton

PEYTON: No honestly we are horrible, rotten people.

BROOKE: (Off Screen) Come on you two, lets go!

PEYTON: Lucas, I don’t want to hurt her.

LUCAS: Neither do I. Okay? But we’ve got to tell her. Tonight.

BROOKE: (Off Screen) Lets go!

(They look at each other then go inside)

[Peyton’s room]

(They are taking everything out to paint)

BROOKE: Okay, broody show us what you’ve got. (Lucas lifts a mattress out of the room and Brooke closes the door behind him) Want to hear a secret? I know you do.

PEYTON: Brooke…

BROOKE: I’m falling for him. Big time. Speechless right? I know, it’s crazy but this is like L-O-V-E mad crushed out, I’m in big trouble.

PEYTON: That’s…

BROOKE: What is this? On the stereo.

PEYTON: It’s Tegan and Sara.

BROOKE: I know that. But what song?

PEYTON: Don’t confess. (Lucas comes back in) Um, you know what? I totally flaked. I forgot paint brushes.

BROOKE: Well we could finger paint.

PEYTON: No, really. Maybe we should just do this another time. I’m kind of not feeling well right now. Really, you guys should go. Okay? Cause I’m going to launch any second now.

BROOKE: Well how about we do it tomorrow night, after Lucas’ mom gets back.

PEYTON: Fine, tomorrow night.

BROOKE: Okay. (To Lucas) Come on, I’ll let you buy me hot chocolate. And P. Sawyer, please don’t hurl too much. Because if you get any thinner, I’m gonna start looking fat. (She runs out)

PEYTON: I cant do this to her. (Lucas looks disappointed and leaves)

[On the street]

(Brooke and Lucas are walking with their hot chocolate)

BROOKE: Have I told you lately how much I like you?

LUCAS: Why?

BROOKE: Why do I tell you?

LUCAS: No, Why do you like me?

BROOKE: Hmm, pitty mostly. How come you’re so quiet tonight?

LUCAS: I’m just anxious about my mom coming back tomorrow.

BROOKE: Yeah me too.

LUCAS: Why are you?

BROOKE: Cause I want her to like me. Plus she sounds really cool, and I’m not that close with my mom so I just think it’d be great if I hit it off with yours. You can’t control love, you know? Your mom and Keith. You’re worried about their relationship right?

LUCAS: Right

BROOKE: They’ll be okay. People that are meant to be together always find their way in the end.
[Karen’s Café]

(Haley is sitting at the counter writing something then crumples the paper and tries to throw it in the trash but misses. Peyton comes up to her)

PEYTON: Hey

HALEY: Hey

PEYTON: I was hoping you’d be here.

HALEY: What’s up?

PEYTON: Um, I actually need some advice, and I didn’t have anybody to talk to.

HALEY: Brooke’s not around? Sorry. Where’s the rest of your minions?

PEYTON: What Minions?

HALEY: You’re like the queen of the hive.

PEYTON: I guess I have a lot of friends, but I don’t really have any I can talk to.

HALEY: Okay, um, lets just go over…(they walk over to a couch) So what’s on your mind?

PEYTON: Um, you know when you first realized that you liked Nathan, and you knew that Lucas would flip out? How’d you deal with that?

HALEY: Why? what’s going on?

PEYTON: It’s just friend of a friend stuff

HALEY: Okay, um, I sort of asked myself, repeatedly, if this thing with Nathan is really worth losing my best friend over.

PEYTON: Yeah

HALEY: Look, if Lucas is really my best friend, then he should just be happy for me. It’s not like he was dating Nathan. Are you sure you’re okay?

PEYTON: I’m good. Thanks Haley

HALEY: Sure

[Whitey’s office]

(Whitey’s reading a list he made)

WHITEY: Coach for 20 years, Win 500 games, Make a difference. (Nathan knocks on his door) Yeah.

NATHAN: You wanted to see me?

WHITEY: That was an interesting meal the other night, wasn’t it?

NATHAN: Yeah

WHITEY: Tell me something, Nathan. Have I made a difference to you?

NATHAN: What do you mean?

WHITEY: I mean being on this team, me rattling on all the time, have you learned anything?

NATHAN: I move my feet better on defense.

WHITEY: (disappointed) Well that’s something I guess. There’s a couple of new plays in that folder that you missed out on.

(Nathan grabs the folder with Whitey’s list inside)

NATHAN: Coach, I just wanted to say thanks. For letting me back on the team. (Whitey nods)

[Nathan’s house-outside]

(Haley is still trying to learn how to sh**t)

HALEY: Today’s the day, I still suck.

NATHAN: Come on, it’s alright. Just keep your elbows in. (Throws her the ball and she misses again. Dan comes out behind them)

DAN: What’s this?

NATHAN: Hey, dad. I’m just giving Haley a few pointers.

DAN: I’ll bet. Haley

HALEY: Mr. Scott.

DAN: So Nathan I thought we’d grill up some steaks at the beach house for dinner. Just the two of us.

NATHAN: That sounds great, Dad. But, um, Haley and I have plans tonight.

DAN: Okay

NATHAN: Some other time, huh?

DAN: Sure. I heard you were back on the team. I think that’s a good move.

NATHAN: Yeah.

DAN: How’s my house? (He goes back inside)

HALEY: I’m sorry. You should go with your dad tonight, if you want.

NATHAN: I don’t want to go with my dad. I want to be with you. Now knock down this sh*t like I know you can. (She sh**t and misses and starts getting frustrated) It’s okay. This calls for drastic measures. You’re going to be fine. Try it granny style.

[Lucas’ House]

(Keith puts flowers on the table)

[Graveyard]

(Whitey is putting flowers on Camilla’s grave, takes off his hat and stands there for a while)

[School Hall]

(Nathan looks through the plays in the folder at his locker and comes across Whitey’s list)

[Gym]

(Haley dribbles up to the free throw line, sh**t granny style and makes it, then turns around pleased with herself)

[School Hall]

(Nathan is walking, Haley comes around the corner and meets up with him)

HALEY: Hey. I so owe you.

NATHAN: Good, cause I need a favor.

[Beach House]

(Dan is grilling a steak. Keith comes up to him)

KEITH: Hey. I, um, just came by to check on you. You know considering the throw down with mom and dad and everything

DAN: Oh, so now you’re concerned about me. After bringing Whitey to my house last week to antagonize me.

KEITH: I didn’t think it would hurt.

DAN: No, Keith, you knew it would. That’s why you did it.

KEITH: Okay whatever, Danny, look I just came by to see how you were doing. My mistake.

DAN: Yet another one by you.

KEITH: You know it’s no wonder you’re all alone out here.

DAN: You’re right, Keith, I am alone. Now. But you’re alone period. You want to know why? Because you’re malicious.

KEITH: I’m malicious?

DAN: You bring Whitey to my house, you put Lucas on the basketball team, So its no wonder I’m out here by myself. It’s almost as if you planed it that way.

KEITH: Easy on the conspiracy theories, Danny. Maybe you want to take a

look in the mirror. (Turns to leave)

DAN: Oh so where are you running off to now?

KEITH: The airport

DAN: Right, still living that lie huh? Unless of course you and Karen are a couple.

KEITH: As a matter of fact, after tonight, we will be.

DAN: Wow. High School fantasies really do come true. Well you always had a thing for her. Even when I was with her. But you should ask yourself one question Keith. If you weren’t good enough for her then, what makes you think you’ll be good enough for her now? (Keith leaves)

[Karen’s Café]

(Deb is serving coffee, Keith comes inside)

DEB: Hey

KEITH: Hey

DEB: 3 hours till Karen.

KEITH: Yep. So ask me what mistake I just made.

DEB: What mistake did you just make?

KEITH: I, uh, just went to see Dan.

DEB: Why?

KEITH: I don’t know. Brotherly Love. I thought maybe he could use someone to talk to, but he’s in a really dark place right now.

DEB: I’m sorry, he doesn’t do well alone.

KEITH: Well sure. No one to tear down when he’s alone. Except himself.

DEB: You hungry?

KEITH: Oh no. But I could use a beer.

DEB: 3 hours to Karen?

KEITH: I know. That’s why I could use a breezer. I never told you this but, um, before she left, she kissed me in the airport. And it wasn’t just one of those, you know, see you later kind of kisses.

DEB: Keith, that’s great.

KEITH: Yeah it is. It’s funny, I feel like I’m about to start the life that I always wanted. (Deb opens his beer and gives it to him) It’s 3 hours away. I’m scared as hell.

DEB: Well it couldn’t happen to two better people.

KEITH: Thanks

DEB: You’re going to be fine.

[Beach House]

(Dan is grilling steaks. Carrie come up the pier)

CARRIE: Dan. Dan. You disappoint me.

DAN: How’s that, Carrie?

CARRIE: You don’t call, You don’t write. And when I come over to invite you to dinner, you start without me.

DAN: Actually you’re right on time. Would you care to join me?

CARRIE: I’d like that

[Library]

(Haley and Nathan are on the computers looking up something)

HALEY: Hey, did you know that Whitey’s real name is Brian?

NATHAN: Brian Durham?

HALEY: Yeah!

NATHAN: Who knew?

HALEY: Come here, this is great. This site’s got his whole record before Tree Hill.

NATHAN: That’s perfect.

HALEY: I’m gonna go get something to drink, do you want anything?

NATHAN: No I’m fine thanks.

[Another part of the library]

(Lucas and Peyton are between the bookshelves talking privately)

PEYTON: This is so wrong. Sneaking around behind Brooke.

LUCAS: Do you think that’s part of it?

PEYTON: Part of what?

LUCAS: Us. You know, that this is wrong. Somehow it makes it feel deeper.

PEYTON: Lucas, Brooke and I have been best friends since elementary school. We’ve always put our friendship before guys. Do you really think I’d risk losing my best friend over a fling? Cause I wouldn’t do that.

LUCAS: Okay. Look I don’t want to hurt Brooke. And I don’t want to come between the two of you. But, I have to be with you. (They start kissing and Haley is watching from behind them)

[Beach House-Inside]

(Carrie is lighting candles)

DAN: Would you like something to drink Carrie?

CARRIE: How's your red wine selection?

DAN: Excellent. (Grabs a bottle and shows her)

(Dan is trying to open a bottle of wine)

CARRIE: Do you need a hand?

DAN: No, I’m just looking for a cork screw.

CARRIE: Well you better find one or you’ll never get me drunk. (Dan comes across pictures of him and Deb together on the beach) Dan?

DAN: I’m sorry. I’m sure you’re a great person, Carrie. But I have a wife I love very much.

CARRIE: That’s sweet, but also a coincidence. Since I have a husband I love very much. But then again, our spouses aren’t here, are they? (Deb walks into the house and sees them) Or maybe one of them is. I guess I’ll go.

DAN: Deb

[Lucas’ room]

(He’s getting dressed. Haley comes in)

LUCAS: Hey we’re just about to pick up my mom.

HALEY: What is going on with you and Peyton

LUCAS: Nothing

HALEY: So you guys weren’t together recently?

LUCAS: No. Why? What’d you talk to Peyton?

HALEY: Why? Are you trying to figure out what lie to tell me next?

LUCAS: I wanted to tell you, Hales.

HALEY: Tell me what?

LUCAS: That we’ve been…

HALEY: Yeah I know you’ve been cause I saw you kissing her which is a really jack @#%$ move considering you have a girlfriend named Brooke.

LUCAS: Don’t lecture me, Haley. I know that.

HALEY: So stop it.

LUCAS: I can’t. It’s complicated

HALEY: It’s not complicated, it’s simple. It’s really simple. What you’re doing is wrong. And if you can’t see that I don’t like the person you’re becoming.

LUCAS: Okay the person I’m becoming? What about the person you’re becoming?

HALEY: What does that mean?

LUCAS: You know what it means, Haley. Nathan says a few nice things to you to get back at me and you fall for it.

HALEY: Oh my God! If I hear that one more time. You know that I did that for you.

LUCAS: You did it for me?!

HALEY: Yeah.

LUCAS: Okay is that what you tell yourself every time you’re kissing him? That you’re doing it for me? You’re the one that’s lying. Alright, if you’re looking for betrayal, look to yourself.

HALEY: You know what, Luke? Next time you see me, don’t talk to me.

LUCAS: Fine!

HALEY: Fine! (She leaves and slams the door)

[Beach House]

DAN: It was completely innocent. She has a beach house. I had an extra steak.

DEB: And a bottle of wine.

DAN: Deb I was lonely for some company.

DEB: I’m lonely too, Dan. But I’m not off frolicking with the pool boy.

DAN: Conversation, Deb. Remember? Like we used to have?

DEB: Okay so it’s my fault? My deficiencies as a conversationalist have driven you to dine with beach whores.

DAN: Are you hungry? (She starts to leave) Oh Deb please. Deb. Deb don’t go. Deb, wait. Look. Look at this. (Shows her the picture of them on the beach) Those two people were happy. They loved each other.

DEB: The hurricane that fall washed half the beach away.

DAN: Yeah

DEB: And took those people with it.

DAN: Deb don’t go. (She leaves and slams the front door) I love you.

[Whitey’s office]

(He’s packing up his things into a box)

NATHAN: So you’re just going to quit, huh? Win 500 games and walk away? (Whitey looks shocked) I did a little research in the library. (hands him his list)

WHITEY: You were in the library? Temperature must have dropped in hell. I promised Camilla I’d win 500 games then walk away. We were going to grow old together.

NATHAN: You’re already old, coach. Besides who’s going to yell at me, huh?

WHITEY: I’m not supposed to yell at you, Nathan, you’re supposed to learn things.

NATHAN: Yeah but what fun would that be? You love yelling at me.

WHITEY: I do not!

NATHAN: Yes you do. You love to yell at me and I love to make you yell.

WHITEY: Well if you’d listen once and a while you knucklehead!

NATHAN: You know not many coaches win 500 games.

WHITEY: No not many high school coaches win 500 games, you know why? Cause they move up to the next level. To carpeted locker rooms and air-conditioned buses, and games that matter.

NATHAN: That’s a bunch of crap coach. And you know it. These are the games that matter. They matter to kids who are just trying to figure themselves out. Figure out who they’re going to be. Look, the other day, you asked me if you’ve made a difference. Well you have. At least with me. (He starts to leave)

WHITEY: Son. At some point, you’ve got to do it on your own.

NATHAN: Yeah at some point. We both know I’ve got a long way to go, coach. Just don’t give up on me. (He leaves)

[Dan driving]

(He Calls Deb on his cell phone)

DEB: (Voice) Hi it’s Deb, leave a message and I’ll get back to you.

DAN: Deb, it’s me. I’m coming to see you.

[Whitey’s office]

(Reads his list again. Changes 500 games to 600 games then puts his name tag back onto his desk)

[Peyton’s room]

(Peyton and Brooke are looking around at her room now painted black with a wall to wall poster of a black and white movie audience on her wall)

BROOKE: It’s like they’re all judging you. You can’t hide in here anymore. Well Lucas should be here soon.

PEYTON: Brooke, you’re my best friend.

BROOKE: So…

PEYTON: No I mean it. You’re my best friend, you know that right?

BROOKE: Yeah, crazy. What dr*gs are you on and can I have some?

PEYTON: I need to tell you something...

[Haley’s room]

(Nathan and Haley are lying on her bed talking)

NATHAN: What’s wrong?

HALEY: I had a little disagreement with Lucas.

NATHAN: About me?

HALEY: No, um, just the way he’s been acting, he’s really disappointing me. (Nathan laughs) What?

NATHAN: Nothing, it’s just, kind of ironic.

HALEY: What’s ironic?

NATHAN: Lucas, being a jerk.

HALEY: How is that…How is that ironic?

NATHAN: Well cause that used to be my role, right? I mean this whole thing started cause I was just trying to mess with Lucas. It’s just kind of weird, that’s all. (Haley looks shocked at what he says but he doesn’t notice)

[Karen’s café]

(Deb is putting up a sign that says 'Welcome Home Karen'. Dan walks in)

DAN: I need to come home.

DEB: No. No.

DAN: Deb…

DEB: Don’t, Dan. There’s nothing you can say anymore. I want a divorce.

[Keith and Lucas driving at night]

KEITH: So you excited to see your mom?

LUCAS: Yeah.

KEITH: It seems like just yesterday I was kissing her goodbye at the airport.

LUCAS: Wait you were kissing my mother?

KEITH: Yeah, saying goodbye.

LUCAS: Okay, Keith could you just do me a favor and keep the PDA to a minimum.

KEITH: You think maybe you could keep that tattoo covered up for a while? Like, say, the rest of your life. (They stop at a red light) Listen, Luke, I know it wasn’t always smooth sailing between us, but, whatever your mom wants us to be, I just want you to know that…

LUCAS: I love you too, Keith

(The Light turns green to go straight but the left turn light is still red. Keith turns anyway and a truck smashes into Lucas’ side. Dan sees the accident and runs to the car. Keith struggles to get out his side)

DAN: Keith! (Helping Keith) Easy, easy Keith I got you. Come on.

KEITH: Lucas. Get Lucas! (Lucas is unconscious. Dan tries to feel his pulse. He tries to call 911 but it doesn’t connect) Dan. Is Luke okay?

DAN: He’s going to be okay, Keith. (He goes to the passenger’s side and pulls Lucas out to put him in his car)

[in front of the hospital]

(Dan jumps out and carries Lucas inside)

DAN: I need a doctor. My brother’s in the car, he needs some help.

DOCTOR: What happened?

DAN: Car Accident. He was on the passenger’s side. Nearest point of impact.

DOCTOR: Set up for a chest tube. Cross in time for 4 units. He’s a minor?

DAN: Yeah

DOCTOR: He’s going to need surgery.

DAN: Do whatever you need to do, Doc.

DOCTOR: You’re his legal guardian?

DAN: (pausing for a second) He’s my son. (Doctors wheel him away)

[Airport]

(Karen stands there looking around for them)

[Hospital]

(Doctor is examining Keith)

DOCTOR: Well you’ve got a concussion and I’m going to have to close that. But you’ll be fine. So, how much have you had to drink today?

[Lucas in Surgery]

(Doctors are working and giving him oxygen)

[Hospital Hallway]

(Three doctors walk quickly by Keith, who looks nervous. He pulls out his cell phone)

[Airport]

VOICE ON LOUDSPEAKER: Paging Karen Roe. Karen Roe to the nearest white courtesy phone.

KAREN: (Picking up the phone) This is Karen Roe

[Surgery]

(Doctors are preping Lucas, He has a tube coming out of his mouth. His heart rate monitors flat line)