02x10 - Don't Take Me for Granted

Episode transcripts for the TV show "One Tree Hill". Aired September 2003 - April 2012.*
Watch/Buy Amazon  Merchandise

This series follows the eventful lives of some high-school kids in Tree Hill, a small but not too quiet town in North Carolina, where the greatest source of pride is the high school basketball team, the Ravens.

02x10 - Don't Take Me for Granted

Post by bunniefuu »

FADE IN:

LUCAS: (v.o) Previously on One Tree Hill.

[EXT. THE BEACH HOUSE – FRONT PORCH – EVENING]

(Mouth is standing around, depressed. Peyton bumps into him.)

PEYTON: Oh, Hey Mouth, have you seen Brooke?

MOUTH: (Sourly) Yeah, she’s um… benefiting with Felix. (Grabs a bottle of alcohol.)

CUT TO:

[INT. ROAD TO TREE HILL – NATHAN’S CAR – DAY]

(Nathan is driving. Lucas sits in the passenger seat, frowning.)

LUCAS: My mom ever asks… I got the test and I’m fine.

NATHAN: If that’s what you want.

KAREN: (v.o) Yesterday –

CUT TO:

[INT. TRIC – THE BAR – EVENING]

(Karen and Deb are standing near the bar.)

KAREN: Dan… told me that you slept with Keith. Is it true?

DEB: (Covering her guilt.) No, of course not(!)

CUT TO:

[EXT. THE BEACH HOUSE – EVENING]

(Nathan and Haley stand out, away from the house. They argue while the party rages on.)

NATHAN: I spent the whole night waiting for you! All while you were with Chris!

HALEY: (Visibly upset.) Can we leave him out of this please?!

NATHAN: (Shrugging) Why? (Pause) Are you into him?

CUT TO:

[EXT. TRIC – STEPS – EVENING]

(Anna and Felix stand on the steps around the back of TRIC, arguing.)

ANNA: Just because people say something, doesn’t make it true Felix. Those were rumours!

FELIX: (Glaring) Yeah? Well how do you think rumours get started?

CUT TO:

[INT. SAWYER RESIDENCE – PEYTON’S BATHROOM – EVENING]

(Peyton pours out the dr*gs onto a CD and uses another one to separate it into strips.)

PEYTON: (v.o) It’s OK. I already flushed it down the toilet.

(Peyton’s sad face is reflected on the CD.)

PEYTON: (v.o) I’ve only done it that one time.

(She backs up and throws the CD against the wall.)

FADE TO:

[INT. SAWYER RESIDENCE – PEYTON’S BEDROOM – EVENING]

(sh*t of Peyton’s sketch of Jake and Jenny as she tears it in half.)

BROOKE: (v.o) You don’t get to have me, not my body –

CUT TO:

[INT. THE BEACH HOUSE – BEDROOM – EVENING]

BROOKE: (To Felix.) and sure as hell not my heart(!)

(Off Felix’s sorrowful face.)

BROOKE: (o.s) We’re done(!)

CUT TO:

[EXT. THE BEACH – EVENING]

(Brooke sits on the beach, looking out at the sea. Lucas approaches cautiously.)

BROOKE: (v.o) We should do this more often.

LUCAS: (v.o) Do what?

(Fade to them sitting side by side on the beach.)

BROOKE: (v.o) Be friends.

CUT TO:

[INT. JAMES SCOTT APARTMENT – BEDROOM – EVENING]

(Haley sits on the bed in the dark bedroom, tear streaks on her face, as she dials the phone and waits.)

FADE TO:

[EXT. THE BEACH HOUSE – WOODEN RAILINGS – DAWN]

(Nathan sits on the wooden railings and looks out at nothing. His phone rings and he takes it out of his pocket to see who it is. When he sees the screen, he turns it off.)

FADE TO BLACK:

OPENING CREDITS ROLL:

FADE IN:

[EXT. THE SKY – EVENING]

(The camera pans across the sky, amongst the tree branches, as Lucas speaks.)

LUCAS: (v.o) Nathanial Hawthorne once wrote: No man,… for any considerable period,… can wear one face to himself… and another to the multitude,… without finally getting bewildered as to which may be the true.

(The camera stops at a side sh*t of Brooke’s house. A sound of smashing glass is heard.)

FADE TO:

[EXT. DAVIS RESIDENCE – PATHWAY – DAY]

(Brooke walks down the driveway, smiling to herself and then sees her car. She rushes to it her windshield is smashed. She gapes at in and we see Felix leave his house. Brooke looks at him accusingly for a period before turning back to her car, disbelieving.)

(Giving up, she walks away.)

CUT TO:

[INT. ROE RESIDENCE – LUCAS’ BEDROOM – DAY]

(sh*t of Lucas’ phone next to his computer. It rings and he picks it up.)

LUCAS: (Looks at the front before answering it.) (Into the phone.) Haley!

(Cut to the apartment.)

HALEY: (Dishevelled through obvious lack of sleep.) Hey(!) I’m sorry to bother you so early, um… (Takes a deep breath.) Nathan and I had a fight last night and he didn’t come home and –

LUCAS: (Through the phone.) I talked to him.

(Cut back to Lucas’ bedroom.)

LUCAS: He’s OK.

HALEY: (Through the phone.) Oh well,

(Cut back to the apartment.)

HALEY: do you know where he is?

(Back to Lucas’ house.)

LUCAS: (Shaking his head.) No.

HALEY: (Through the phone.) OK, well…

(Back to the apartment.)

HALEY: The next time you talk to him, can you… ask him to come home please?

(Cut to Lucas’ bedroom.)

LUCAS: (Laughing) OK, I will. Alright, well look, don’t worry yourself OK Hales? I’m sure he’s fine. Alright?

HALEY: OK. Bye. (She shuts her phone.)

(Cut to Lucas’ bedroom again as he walks past Nathan who is on the floor, on some duvets and under a blanket.)

NATHAN: (Sighs as he sits up.) Thanks for covering for me man.

LUCAS: You’re welcome but it sucked(!) (Picks his bag up.) I don’t wanna lie to Haley.

NATHAN: (Yawns) You just did.

LUCAS: (Sits on his bed in front of Nathan.) Why don’t you go home? Work it out. It… didn’t sound like Haley was going to school anyway.

NATHAN: (Rubs his eye.) Yeah, why would they have the Formal on a Sunday?

LUCAS: I dunno; to keep the students from partying, getting wasted. (Points to Nathan.) Arguing with their wives.

NATHAN: Yeah, well it didn’t work. (Changing the subject.) How’d it go with Anna anyway?

LUCAS: (Evasively) Well lets just say we didn’t exactly end the night together.

NATHAN: Who’d you end up with?

(Lucas opens his mouth to tell him but there’s a knock on the door and they both look up.)

(Brooke opens the door. She looks at them and then down at Nathan. Nathan scoffs, getting it.)

NATHAN: Only in Tree Hill.

(Lucas laughs.)

BROOKE: Ew, you two realise you’re related right?

NATHAN: Hi Brooke.

BROOKE: (Leans on a box on Lucas’ table.) Double ew if Tutor Wife is here.

LUCAS: (Smiling) She’s not. (Pause) What’s up?

BROOKE: Um… my car is now out of commission, thanks to my jealous, spiteful stain of a neighbour… and I was sort of thinking… that… you might wanna walk to school together. (Shrugs) (Lucas looks at her.) (Brooke smirks.) Unless of course, you’re waiting for your ‘Boytoy’ here.

NATHAN: (Waves her away.) Go ahead. I’ll catch up with you guys later.

LUCAS: Alright. (Stands) Go home Nate. Work it out.

(Lucas walks to the door. Brooke waves at Nathan who returns the parting and they close the door behind them.)

CUT TO:

[INT. ANNA AND FELIX’S HOUSE – ANNA’S BEDROOM – DAY]

(Anna walks into her room and stands in front of the mirror, trying to get her necklace off.)

FELIX: (o.s) Well, well(!)

(Anna looks at him.)

FELIX: (In his room but looking at Anna.) Angel of the morning.

ANNA: (Sighs) OK, look. (Felix walks to her.) I wasn’t with Lucas so just… chill out.

FELIX: (Stops in front of her with a foul look on his face.) Where were you Anna?

ANNA: (Pauses and looks away.) I stayed at Peyton’s.

FELIX: (Smirks snidely.) Ah, that’s great(!) Mom and dad will love that!

ANNA: (Almost pleading.) Then don’t tell them(!)

FELIX: Just let me know when I need to start packing again. (Looks at her for a b*at and then turns away.)

CUT TO:

[INT. DAN SCOTT MOTORS – DAN’S OFFICE – DAY]

(Keith walks into the shop. Dan is in his office, straightening out a picture frame. Keith stops just in the doorway.)

KEITH: New digs for your return, hey Danny?

DAN: (Turns to him.) No, new digs for your (Points to him.) return. (Smiles) You did a hell of a job while I was away Keith. (He smiles and walks to his desk where he turns a heavy block around. On it is engraved; ‘Keith Scott, Vice President’. Wait expectantly.) What do you say?

(Keith smiles disbelievingly and blinks.)

CUT TO:

[EXT. TREE HILL HIGH SCHOOL – GRASS – DAY]

(Brooke and Lucas walk together to the school.)

LUCAS: Who do you think did it?

BROOKE: (Scoffs) Felix(!) (Looks at him.) We kind of… stopped benefiting.

LUCAS: (Looks at her and shrugs.) I’m glad! I mean, not about the… windshield thing but… about the rest of it.

BROOKE: (Amused) Why, because you don’t like him?

LUCAS: No… because you’re better than that.

(They look at each other before turning to look forward again.)

BROOKE: (Sincerely) I miss this, you know. (Smiles, shrugs and looks at him.) Talking to you.

(They smile again.)

CUT TO:

[EXT. TREE HILL HIGH SCHOOL – BENCHES – DAY]

(Mouth is sitting at the benches, doing nothing, when Felix comes up to him. Mouth is clearly upset about something.)

FELIX: (Taking a seat.) What happened to you?

MOUTH: (Looks at him and then turns away.) I’m not talking to you.

FELIX: (Pause) OK. Well if it makes you feel any better… Brooke dumped me. (Mouth looks at him.) You told her didn’t you? (Pause) About the dollhouse and TRIC.

MOUTH: (Takes his bag.) Thought she should know the truth. (Slings it over his shoulder and begins walking.)

FELIX: Whatever, I deserved it. (Stands and falls into step with Mouth.) It’s a rule of life Mouth; whatever crap you pull… always catches up to you. (Laughs) It’s a part of the game.

MOUTH: It’s not a game Felix.

FELIX: (Looking at Mouth’s sad face.) Come on Mouth. It took her less than and hour to crush me and hook up with Lucas.

MOUTH: (Frowns) Lucas wouldn’t do that. He’s with Anna.

FELIX: (Looking out.) Really? (Squints and points to Lucas and Brooke who are walking past, smiling. He looks at Mouth.) It’s OK to freak out Mouth. (Pause) I did last night.

(Felix walks out of the sh*t and Mouth watches the pair, saddened.)

CUT TO:

[INT. JAMES SCOTT APARTMENT – LIVING ROOM – DAY]

(Nathan opens the door and enters, still in his Formal wear. He sighs and closes the door. Haley emerges from the bedroom and walks to him.)

HALEY: (Arms crossed.) Hi. (Nathan looks at her.) Sorry. I was um… I was wrong last night and… I found your letter from the camp and I want you to go(!)

NATHAN: (Tired of fighting.) It’s not about the camp, Haley. (Pause) It’s about trust.

(They look at each other. Neither saying a word for a long moment.)

NATHAN: I want you to stop working with Chris.

HALEY: He’s incredibly talented, Nathan.

NATHAN: (Sterner) I want you to stop seeing him.

(Haley doesn’t say anything, getting sadder by the second before she finally answers.)

HALEY: I won’t do that.

(Nathan doesn’t respond, he turns and quietly walks out of the apartment. The door shuts behind him. Haley looks at the empty space that Nathan was occupying.)

CUT TO:

[INT. TREE HILL HIGH SCHOOL – HALLWAY – DAY]

(Brooke pushes her way through a throng of people crowding the hallway. She is not at all happy when she stops at Peyton’s locker.)

BROOKE: Hey. (Peyton turns to her.) Wanna hear about my window? (Peyton waits.) Somebody bashed in my car windshield last night. You believe that? I mean, could things get any worse?

(Peyton shuts her locker door. Sprayed, vertically, across it in red is the word ‘d*ke’.)

PEYTON: You wanna ask me that again?

(The locker is between them; Brooke and Peyton on either side. People stop walking and look at it. Brooke looks around.)

FADE TO BLACK:

COMMERCIAL SET:

FADE IN:

(Felix sits at the benches, talking to his friends when a piece of paper is smacked against his shoulder. He takes it, looks at it and then up at Brooke.)

FELIX: What’s this?

BROOKE: An estimate for my windshield.

(Felix messes with the paper and Mouth watches from behind.)

FELIX: (Looks at the estimate and scoffs.) And you think I did it?

BROOKE: (Nastily) I know you did.

FELIX: I didn’t break you window baby… just your heart.

BROOKE: (Scoffs) Please(!) (Flicks the paper, snarks, and walks away.)

(Felix grins and punches another guys shoulder.)

(Brooke sits on the bench next to Peyton.)

BROOKE: (Drops her bag on the bench.) With men like that in the world, it’s a wonder we’re not gay!

PEYTON: (Frowning) See the way everybody’s looking at me?

BROOKE: (Tilts her head and comforts her.) Nobody’s taking this seriously.

PEYTON: Really? Because half the girls in P.E. wouldn’t change in front of me.

BROOKE: (Shrugs) It’s ‘cause you look better than they do, naked. (Smiles at Peyton but Peyton looks away, squinting.) Do you have any idea who did it? (Peyton shakes her head.) Well… if you ask me, they did you a favour; boys love lesbians. (Smiles good-heartedly. Brooke tries to help.) Come on. The old P. Sawyer woulda just rolled with this.

PEYTON: Yeah, well I haven’t been the old P. Sawyer in a while have I?

BROOKE: (Takes her hand and pats it.) Hey, your real friends are here for you.

(They smile slightly at each other. Peyton suddenly looks up and sees Anna. Peyton and Brooke smile welcomingly at her. Anna, looking tense and avoiding eye contact, walks straight past the pair as if she didn’t even see them.)

BROOKE: (Scoffs disbelievingly.) Unbelievable(!)

PEYTON: (Putting the water bottle in her bag.) OK, you know what, I’m gonna get outta here. Do you wanna come with me?

BROOKE: (Opens her mouth regretfully.) Yeah… but… I have a quiz next period and if I miss it –

PEYTON: Nah it’s… it’s cool. I’ll see ya later.

BROOKE: OK.

(sh*t of Anna sitting with Felix. She watches Peyton as she walks away. Peyton’s scowling. Lucas watches Peyton walk away and sighs.)

CUT TO:

[INT. RECORDING STUDIO – RECORDING BOOTH – DAY]

(Chris sits on a stool with his guitar, strumming. A door at the back opens and Nathan walks into the studio. Nathan opens the door to the booth and Chris looks up.)

CHRIS: What’s up? (Nathan stares at him unblinkingly.) Looking for your wife?

NATHAN: You’re funny. You’re also done messing with Haley.

CHRIS: We’re just rehearsing, man.

NATHAN: No, you were rehearsing. That’s over now.

CHRIS: Why? (Pause) Can’t you trust her? I mean, isn’t that what this is about? (Puts his guitar down.) You love her… you married her… (Stands and walks over to Nathan.) but can you trust her? Cos if you can, (Pause) you got nothing to worry about right? (Smirks and hold his hand out.) Come on, man, I don’t have a problem with you.

(Nathan pauses for a second before grabbing Chris around the neck and pushing him up against the wall. Nathan holds Chris’ arm against the wall with his free hand. Chris grabs Nathan’s hand to get it off from around his neck but he can’t. He’s actually scared.)

NATHAN: You see, you do have a problem with me; a big problem(!) You could smile and act cool if you want to but the fact is, man: I used to destroy guys like you. Daily. (Chris is petrified.) It’d be a shame if something happened to this hand; you couldn’t play that little guitar anymore huh? (Chris tries to get away but Nathan pushes him back.) Just like it’d be a shame if you were taking advantage of Haley. (Looks at Chris for a second before he lets him go.)

(Chris rubs his neck as Nathan walks away.)

NATHAN: (Turns back at the door.) Don’t cry rock star (Pause) ruin your make-up. (Exits)

(Chris looks around himself, jittery.)

CUT TO:

[INT. SAWYER RESIDENCE – PEYTON’S BEDROOM – DAY]

(The camera pans to Peyton who’s on the phone. It rings and she waits.)

PEYTON: (Sighs) Pick up(!)

(Call diverts.)

MACHINE: (Through the phone.) You’ve reached Sawyer dredging. If you’d like to leave a message for Larry Sawyer, please do so after – (Peyton hangs up the phone.)

(She puts the phone down and leans against the desk. There’s a knock on her door. She looks up and sees Lucas.)

LUCAS: (Hand still on the door.) Hey(!) (Lowers his hand.)

PEYTON: Hey.

LUCAS: So uh… (Walks into her room.) I saw you cut out of lunch today. Just… wanted to know how you were doing.

PEYTON: (Looks down and shrugs slightly.) Been better.

(Lucas tilts his head. Peyton’s on the verge of crying.)

LUCAS: (Walking forward.) Hey. Come here.

(Peyton walks forward and into his hug.)

LUCAS: (Indicating her bed.) Sit down. (They sit on the edge of her bed. Peyton sighs and looks down.) So do you know who wrote it? On your locker.

PEYTON: (Looks at him and shakes her head.) No. I don’t even wanna know. I just want it to all… go away. Just… all of it.

(Lucas looks at her bedside table and sees the torn up picture of Jake and Jenny. He picks it up.)

LUCAS: You miss Jake huh?

PEYTON: (Frown and looks at him with red eyes.) You should go.

LUCAS: Peyton(!)

PEYTON: No– (Struggles) Yo-OK. You can’t just walk in here and ask me something like that! (Pause) When is the last time we even had a conversation about something real?

LUCAS: (Defensively) I just thought you could use a friend.

PEYTON: Yeah, I could use a friend, you know but you (Points to him.) don’t qualify as that anymore, Lucas, because a real friend would know about all the crap I’ve been dealing with lately.

LUCAS: (Trying) Like what?

PEYTON: (Pauses, the fight going out of her.) Just go. Please.

LUCAS: (Nods) OK. I’ll go. (He stops at the door.) Whatever you think… I really do care about you, Peyton. (Leaves.)

(Peyton looks at her doorway reservedly.)

CUT TO:

[INT. KEITH’S APARTMENT – LIVING ROOM – DAY]

(Keith stands in the room, boxes surrounding him, looking out of the window. The camera closes in on him. A door clicks.)

JULES: (o.s) You sneaking away without saying goodbye?

(Keith turns to Jules who is closing the door behind her, smiling.)

KEITH: Oh, actually I was um… (Looks around.) I was thinking about staying. Dan offered me a management position at the dealership.

JULES: (Frowning as she walks further into the room.) Did you say no to Charleston?!

KEITH: Well, not yet but… (Jules is upset.) I might.

JULES: (Pause) You know I care about you Keith. (Puts her arms around his waist.)

KEITH: Yeah.

JULES: Then listen to me. I know how much teaching in Charleston means to you. I’ve seen you light up when you talk about it.

KEITH: (Smiles) Not as much as I light up when I talk about you.

JULES: (Smiles) One of the reasons I fell for you was your independence. (Pause) You made your own way in the world. You brother’s business is his. Charleston is yours. Don’t let him take that from you.

(Keith ponders and nods a tiny bit.)

CUT TO:

[INT. ROE RESIDENCE – LUCAS’ BEDROOM – DAY]

(Lucas is sitting on his bed, reading a book. There is an urgent knock on the door. Haley enters.)

HALEY: Can I give you a piece of advice?

LUCAS: Nice to see you too.

HALEY: Next time you wanna lie about something, you might wanna make sure your mom is in on it. She told me about Nathan sleeping here last night.

LUCAS: Haley, (Hold his hands up defensively.) Nathan just needed some time. If you were here, I’d have done the same thing.

(Haley opens her mouth to argue.)

KAREN: (o.s in another room.) Lucas Eugene Scott!

(Haley looks at the doorway.)

LUCAS: (Worried) Oo, that sounds bad.

HALEY: (Amused) Eugene?

(Lucas looks at Haley with his mouth open and sighs. His door opens and an angry Karen enters. He looks at the door.)

KAREN: Why would you lie to me(!)?

HALEY: (Mumbling) Yeah, get in line.

LUCAS: (Looks at Haley before returning his attention to Karen.) Mom, what are you talking about?

KAREN: Dan’s heart condition. (Accusingly) Is it genetic?

LUCAS: (Sighs and looks down.) Yes.

KAREN: Why didn’t you tell me?

(Haley starts to look worried.)

KAREN: What kind of doctor doesn’t call me?!

LUCAS: (Sits up in bed and puts the book down.) Mom, I told him you were in Florence.

KAREN: Why?! When there’s a fifty percent chance you have a genetic heart defect!

(Haley looks at Lucas.)

HALEY: Nathan-

LUCAS: (Intervening) No, he’s… fine. He doesn’t have it. He took the test.

KAREN: (Hands on hips.) But you didn’t?

LUCAS: (Nods) Who told you?

KAREN: (Sternly) You are taking that test.

LUCAS: No! I’m not.

KAREN: ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MIND?! HOW CAN YOU BE SO RECKLESS AND CAVALIER ABOUT A POTENTIALLY FATAL CONDITION?

HALEY: (Softly) I’m gonna go home. (Waves and leaves. Lucas watches her.)

KAREN: You’re gonna give me the name of the doctor that you’ve spoken with and you’re packing a bag because I’m driving you to that test. (Walks to his drawers and opens the top one.)

LUCAS: (Expression sour. Stands) NO, I’M NOT TAKING THE TEST. I DON’T WANNA KNOW!

KAREN: WHY NOT?!

LUCAS: FOR LOTS OF REASONS. BASKETBALL… THE WAY I WANNA LIVE MY LIFE.

KAREN: LUCAS, BASKETBALL IS A GAME! (Lucas looks away and scoffs.) NOW I AM GLAD THAT YOU HAVE A TALENT BUT DO YOU REALLY THINK THAT I WILL PUT A GAME BEFORE YOUR LIFE? (Returns to his drawer.)

LUCAS: (Defiantly) I would.

KAREN: Oh, grow up! THAT TRAGIC HERO CRAP ONLY WORKS IN THE MOVIES (Goes through his drawer.) AND YOU KNOW WHAT THEY DON’T SHOW YOU AFTER THEY FADE OUT? The hero’s mother putting her foot up his ass!

LUCAS: (Scowling) Mom, you can thr*aten me all you want but you can’t make me take that test.

KAREN: (Slams his drawer shut and turns to him.) I SURE AS HELL CAN! (Pause) YOU THINK ABOUT THAT! (Lucas looks at her, trying to work out what she means.) Until you come to your senses, your basketball days are over(!) (Turns to the door.)

LUCAS: Mom!

KAREN: (Turning back.) You need parental permission to play and you just lost yours. (Slams his door shut.)

(Lucas sits down unhappily.)

FADE TO BLACK:
COMMERCIAL SET:

FADE IN:

[EXT. THE RIVERCOURT – EVENING]

(Skills, Fergie and Junk stand in front of the basketball hoop. Mouth is sitting on the bench. Lucas walks up behind them as they talk to themselves.)

LUCAS: Hey guys! Let’s jump. (Hold out his hands for the ball. They turn to him as one and look at him. Lucas waits.) How bout a little two-on-two? Come on.

SKILLS: Luke, I don’t know much man but I do know one thing; (Pause) You damn sure aint touching no ball round here.

LUCAS: (Not believing.) Alright, what’s going on?

FERGIE: Your mom told us bout your heart.

MOUTH: She said you’d be in danger if you played.

SKILLS: Yeah, we’d be in danger if we let you play.

JUNK: (Hugging the ball.) She was scary Luke.

LUCAS: Look guys, I’m fine.

SKILLS: It might be true… but we’ll let your mom tell us that for sure. (They look at him.) Let’s go.

(Skills, Mouth, Fergie and Junk walk off the court as Lucas watches them, unhappily. He goes to talk to Mouth but Mouth carries on walking. Lucas sighs.)

CUT TO:

[INT. JAMES SCOTT APARTMENT – LIVING ROOM – EVENING]

(Haley sits at the counter, waiting for Nathan. She picks up the bracelet that he gave her on his first ever tutoring session. She smiles and puts it on. The door opens and she turns to it. Nathan enters and closes the door. Haley walks to him and hugs him.)

NATHAN: What going on with you?

HALEY: I heard about you heart test.

NATHAN: (Looks down at her.) I’m fine.

HALEY: Are you sure? (Nathan nods.) I’m not gonna see Chris anymore. (Shakes her head.) I don’t want it to come between us. I just-I don’t want anything to come between us. (Hugs him again. Nathan puts his arm around her shoulders and smiles.)

CUT TO:

[INT. DAN SCOTT MOTORS – MAIN SHOP – EVENING]

(Lucas, angry and annoyed, walks into Dan’s dealership.)

DAN: (Upon seeing him.) Lucas(!)

LUCAS: (Accusingly) You told my mom about the heart test(!)

DAN: (Doesn’t deny it.) Well I’m glad she knows. If it forces you to reconsider.

LUCAS: (Glaring) You promised me. (Glares some more before he turns back to the exit.)

DAN: (Hurriedly) Lucas! (Lucas stops and turns his head slightly.) What did you see when you d*ed? (Lucas faces him fully.) After the accident; when your heart stopped. What’d you see? (Lucas squints but doesn’t answer.) Because when my heart failed, I saw you. (Pause) Your mother can’t bear to lose you, Lucas. (Pause) Neither can I.

(Lucas squints some more.)

CUT TO:

[INT. SAWYER RESIDENCE – PEYTON’S BEDROOM – EVENING]

(Peyton is sitting on her bed, looking at the ceiling. The camera closes in on her and pans to show Anna at the doorway, knocking. Peyton lifts her head and sighs.)

ANNA: I… I rang the doorbell.

PEYTON: (Turns the music down.) I know. I just didn’t wanna answer.

ANNA: (Looks down and gathers some courage.) I’m sorry I blew you off at lunch today.

PEYTON: (Pissed) You know, it’s really starting to be a pattern; you showing up in my room to apologise to me.

ANNA: (Pause) You’re right. But… (Turns her head and walks to some vinyls.) at my last school… there were some rumours about me. (Peyton sits up.) About a relationship I was having. (Looks down.) With another girl. (Peyton raises hey eyebrows.) I tried to ignore it but the stories just… kept getting worse. (Shakes her head.) Until, finally, my parents decided to move us here. And that’s why Felix is so protective of me. He was really happy in our last town.

PEYTON: OK, but I thought you said they were just… (Shakes her head.) rumours.

ANNA: (Sadly) It doesn’t matter(!) You know how high school is. (Flips through Peyton’s music.) Once a story gets out, it-it… might as well be true. (Peyton sighs.) So when I saw your locker, and the way that people were looking at you, I guess… it scared me. (Pause) It was… a horrible time for me Peyton. (Looks at her sadly.) What are you gonna do?

PEYTON: (Shaking her head.) I don’t know.

ANNA: You could always just… let it go. I mean, you’re not gay. Right?

PEYTON: (Doesn’t answer, starts to stand.) Come here. (She walks over to one of her records and pulls a NOFX CD out.) Read that.

ANNA: (Takes the record.) (Reading) First they put away the dealers… then they put away the prostitutes… then they sh**t away the bums… and… b*at and bash the queers… (Looks at Peyton.) Turned away asylum seekers, fed us suspicions and fears, we didn’t raise our voice, we didn’t make a fuss… it’s funny, there was no one left to notice-

PEYTON: (Finishes the lyric.) when they came for us. (Looks at Anna squarely.) Anna, it’s not about who I am, OK? It’s about who they are, they are people who hate and they divide and the feed off of people that don’t fight back(!) Yeah, I… I could laugh this off. But… what about the girl that can’t? (Pause) Who’s gonna help her? (Raises her eyebrows.) Silence only makes them stronger.

(Anna looks down.)

CUT TO:

[EXT. FELIX’S HOUSE – THE DRIVEWAY – DAY]

(Camera pans along Felix’s car. The air in the wheels has been let out. He stops in front of his car and looks at them. He looks at Brooke who is sitting outside her own house in a rocking chair. She shrugs snidely holds her glass up and toasts him. Felix glowers and shakes his head.)

CUT TO:

(Peyton stands in front of an easel. A t-shirt is clipped to it and she is using a spray can on the front.)

CUT TO:

[EXT. DAVIS RESIDENCE – DRIVEWAY – DAY]

(Lucas sits behind the wheel of a tow truck and takes Brooke’s car away.)

FADE TO:

[INT. RECORDING STUDIO – RECORDING BOOTH – DAY]

(Chris is sitting there, strumming the guitar and singing. Haley walks into the studio and stands behind the man at control.)

MAN: (Looks around.) Hey, Haley. (Watches Chris.) You here to see Chris?

HALEY: (Watches him sadly. The man turns to her.) Oh, sorry. Um… (Laughs) You know what, I’ll Uh… I’ll catch him later. It’s OK. (Smiles, looks back and then leaves.)

FADE TO:

(Peyton continues to spray paint the top, concentrating hard. She stops and looks at it.)

FADE TO:

[INT. KEITH’S APARTMENT – LIVING ROOM – DAY]

(Jules shuts the door and turns into the room, frowning. The camera pans to show that all the boxes have gone and things are back in their normal places.)

JULES: Keith?

KEITH: (o.s) Hey. (Jules looks at him standing in the doorway.) I um… I accepted Dan’s offer. (Smiles) (Jules looks away, wide-eyed.) You know, Charleston was always about… hope for me, Jules; a place where maybe I could… find something special. But I found that right here. (Walks up to her.) With you. You’ve given me that hope.

(Keith smiles at her and she doesn’t know what to say.)

CUT TO:

[EXT. DAVIS RESIDENCE – DRIVEWAY – DAY]

(Brooke’s car is back. Lucas is wiping the new windshield. Brooke walks to him.)

BROOKE: You are the best. (Lucas smiles.) What do I owe you?

LUCAS: (Stops wiping the windshield and stands next to her.) Nothing. I called in a couple of favours.

(They stand unnaturally close together.)

BROOKE: (Pleased) Are you serious?

(Anna walks up the path to them. Brooke hugs Lucas.)

BROOKE: (Almost inaudibly.) Thank you.

ANNA: (Announcing her presence.) Hi Brooke!

BROOKE: (Lets go of Lucas and turns to Anna.) Hey(!)

ANNA: (To Brooke.) Hi (To Lucas.) Hi

LUCAS: (To Anna.) Hey. (Anna kisses him on the cheek.)

ANNA: You ready?

LUCAS: Yeah.

ANNA: OK. (To Brooke.) Bye. (Waves and walks to the front of the pickup, getting into the passenger side.)

BROOKE: Um… so…

LUCAS: I guess I’ll… (Smiles) see you at school.

BROOKE: (Smiles, nods.) Yeah.

(Lucas smiles back at her, Brooke waves and watches Lucas get into the pickup and drive away.)

CUT TO:

[INT. TREE HILL HIGH SCHOOL – CORRIDOR – DAY]

(Slow motion off of peoples shocked faces as they step aside. Camera switches to Peyton’s nervous face as she walks down the hallway. People look and smirk openly. The camera zooms out slowly to show Peyton’s top has ‘d*ke’ spray painted across the top of it in red.)

(Camera is still in slow mo as Peyton continues to walk down the corridor. She sees Anna who looks back but doesn’t say anything. Peyton continues past, sour expression in place as Anna turns slowly to watch the journey.)

CUT TO:

(Lucas walks across the pathway. Mouth catches up to him, running.)

MOUTH: Hey, Luke! (Lucas turns his head to Mouth.) Can I talk to you?

(Lucas watches Mouth as he looks around, clearly jittery and unsettled.)

MOUTH: I heard that you fixed Brooke’s windshield.

LUCAS: (Smiling) Yeah, you know, she needed some help.

MOUTH: Well I wanna pay for it. (Goes into his bag.) I took some money out of the bank. (Holds out some money.)

LUCAS: (Smiles) Mouth, you don’t have to do that, alright? (Taps his arm.)

MOUTH: Please! I want to.

LUCAS: Mouth-

MOUTH: I’m the one who did it. (Pause) I broke her windshield.

(Lucas isn’t smiling anymore.)

CUT TO:

[INT. TREE HILL HIGH SCHOOL – CORRIDOR – DAY]

(Peyton is loading her locker with school supplies. Mr Turner, the Principle walks up to her. She shuts her locker.)

MR TURNER: Miss Sawyer, you know we have a policy regarding wardrobe that’s offensive or (Looks at her locker.) profane.

PEYTON: (Pointing to her locker.) Does that policy extend to lockers, cos you haven’t removed that yet have you? (Smirks at him.)

MR TURNER: (Sighs) You know the drill; go to the office and change or be sent home.

PEYTON: (Gapes) OK, Mr Turner, have you ever heard of Victor Hara? (He makes no move of assent.) No? Um… he was this musician, right, and he fought in justice with his songs and when they broke his hands and when they taunted him, he just sang even louder(!)

MR TURNER: Look, Peyton, oppression’s not exactly a mystery to me OK? I feel your pain.

PEYTON: (Harshly) NO… no you don’t. OK, I’m sorry, but you don’t know anything about my pain(!)

MR TURNER: Maybe so (Pause) but there are counsellors you can talk to. Literature you can read.

PEYTON: OK, I’m-I’m not gay! Mr Turner. But you know what; if I was I wouldn’t let other people tear me down because of it and I SURE AS HELL WOULDN’T BE LOOKING FOR MY ANSWERS IN-IN ONE OF YOUR PAMPHLETS!

MR TURNER: (Not budging.) Policy is clear Peyton. Remove the shirt or be suspended.

(Peyton looks at the people whispering.)

PEYTON: Fine(!) (She takes the top off, leaving her in a red bra.)

(The students whistle and mumble. She throws the t-shirt at him.)

PEYTON: Can you hear my song now, Mr Turner?

(She turns and walks to the exit.)

MR TURNER: (Calling after her.) Enjoy your suspension Miss Sawyer.

(Peyton doesn’t stop; she walks determinedly out of the school. Students continue to talk and mutter amongst themselves.)

FADE TO BLACK:

COMMERCIAL SET:

FADE IN:

[EXT. THE RIVERCOURT – DAY]

(Camera pans.)

MOUTH: (Sighs) You probably think I’m an idiot.

(Mouth and Lucas are walking at the edge of the river. Lucas has his hood up.)

LUCAS: Actually, I’m kinda hoping you have an evil twin. (Looks at him.) Look, vandalising Brooke’s car… Mouth, that’s just not you.

MOUTH: (Sighs again.) I guess that’s why I did it. (Pause) Girls see me as their little brother. They always tell me how nice I am.

LUCAS: Well that’s cos you are nice! That’s why you have so many friends, Mouth.

MOUTH: And no girlfriend. (Lucas looks away defeated.) Haley fell for Nathan when he was a jerk. Brooke went for Felix. Luke, you’ve screwed up a lot this year and you’ve had a different girl every week.

(Lucas scoffs and turns to Mouth.)

MOUTH: Sorry. I just… I try to be honest with Brooke. I told her the truth and then she left with Felix anyway.

LUCAS: (Pulls down his hood and sits next to Mouth on the bench.) Yeah, to end things with him(!)

MOUTH: But I didn’t know that at the time. All I knew was that I was at another party where… everybody had someone, but me. (Pause) Then I… kinda got drunk.

LUCAS: (Eyebrows raised.) You were drinking?

MOUTH: Sort of. I had… one drink. But it was a big one. Next thing I knew, I was at Brooke’s house.

LUCAS: Wait, you drove to Brooke’s house… wasted(!)?

MOUTH: I rode my bike. (Pause) I… fell a couple of times.

(Lucas laughs humourlessly.)

MOUTH: In the morning, (Pause) I felt terrible about what I did and even worse when I found out you fixed it.

LUCAS: (Shakes his head.) You know she thinks Felix did it.

MOUTH: (Nods) I know… and I’m gonna tell her the truth. (Mouth nods. Lucas shakes his head.) You know, I like Brooke a lot. (Shrugs) I guess I have for a long time. But it was OK when you guys were together. (Pause) I guess I always thought your hearts were the same.

(Lucas smiles.)

CUT TO:

[INT. DAVIS RESIDENCE – BROOKE’S BEDROOM – DAY]

(Brooke is smiling manically as she uses a red marker to draw something on a paper propped up in front of her. A letter is slipped under the door. Brooke hears and turns to it. She caps the pen and picks up the letter.)

(She walks out of her bedroom and sees Felix walking away.)

BROOKE: Hey! (Felix continues.) Hang on a second! (Felix turns.) What is this!?

FELIX: (Sincerely)…That should cover your window.

BROOKE: (Triumphantly) Then you did do it.

FELIX: No. I didn’t.

(Brooke scoffs, opens the envelope and takes out three $100 bills and a photo of Felix and a girl.)

BROOKE: (Holds up the picture.) Who’s the ho?

FELIX: She not a ho. Her name’s Kayla and she was my last girlfriend.

(Brooke makes a face and looks away.)

FELIX: We dated for two years. I was never happier. (Pause) Then, one day… she passed me a note… and that was it.

BROOKE: I don’t believe you. Cos you said you only do ‘Friends with Benefits’.

FELIX: I have, since then. See, I was just like you Brooke. Doing ‘Friends with Benefits’ because I was afraid of getting my heart broken again. (Pause) But I guess it doesn’t matter. (Swallows, turns and walks away.)

(Brooke stares after him, torn.)

BROOKE: So what, I’m supposed to believe you didn’t break my windshield but you’re paying for it anyway?

FELIX: (Turns around.) You don’t have to believe it. (Pause) Any of it. But it’s true. (Turns and continues on his way.)

CUT TO:

[EXT. THE RIVERCOURT – EVENING]

(Lucas is playing basketball when Nathan walks up behind him. Nathan looks at the benches, puzzled. The camera pans to show Junk, Fergie and Skills sitting on the bench, watching.)

NATHAN: (Pointing at them.) What’s with them?

LUCAS: (Catches the ball and looks at his friends.) Oh, huh, Dan told my mom about the HCM test. (Smiles) I guess that’s my bad for trusting him to keep a secret right?

NATHAN: (Smile becomes forced before it disappears altogether.) He didn’t tell her. (Lucas looks at Nathan.) I did. I told her.

LUCAS: (With forced calm.) Why?

NATHAN: Because I knew that if she found out, she’d make you take the test.

LUCAS: She’s not gonna make me take the test and that SUCKS THAT YOU TOLD HER! (Nathan looks away.) AFTER I COVERED FOR YOU WITH HALEY!

NATHAN: About where I crashed for a night, not about my life(!)

(Skills stands and walks to the pair.)

LUCAS: You know what, whatever. You promised me. (Pause) Guess Dan’s not the only one I can’t trust. (Bounces the ball and walks off.)

SKILLS: Hey, yo, Luke. He’s right, man. (Lucas turns back angrily.) I mean you’re wrong not to take that test, dawg. (Fergie and Junk are standing behind Skills too.) (Lucas scoffs.) Come on man, it’s not fair to us or your mom.

LUCAS: Unbelievable(!) (Pause) You know what, Skills, (Chucks the ball at him.) Why don’t you just run with Nathan from now on(!)

SKILLS: (Catches the ball.) How bout you take the test and we all run together? (Fergie nods and Nathan looks at Lucas.)

(Lucas, hurt, turns and leaves. sh*t of Nathan, Skills, Junk and Fergie looking at Lucas and each other.)

CUT TO:

[INT. DAVIS RESIDENCE – BROOKE’S BEDROOM – EVENING]

(Brooke is sitting on her bed in a nightgown. She’s propped up on one elbow, thinking. There’s a knock at the door. Peyton enters.)

PEYTON: Hey.

BROOKE: (Sitting up.) Hey! Um… I was gonna call you… in a while.

PEYTON: Um… I’m sorry to just drop by. (Tearfully) I just need somebody to talk to. (Sits on her bed.)

BROOKE: Stop(!)

PEYTON: I just-I need you, Brooke(!) I just… there’s so much stuff piling up and I don’t think I can handle it anymore.

BROOKE: OK. Well what’s going on? Talk to me, I mean… you said you’re not feeling like yourself but what’s wrong?

PEYTON: Just everything! (Pause) You know, like Karen is really counting on me at the club and I don’t even have a band! You know, and I’m suspended and that’s gonna look great on my transcripts and (Pauses as she looks at Brooke.) and I miss Jake and… Jenny… and my mom.

BROOKE: Hey(!) It’s gonna be OK.

PEYTON: I should be stronger than this, you know, I should and I don’t wanna be a person that… that needs help but I… I feel all alone.

BROOKE: You are not alone(!) (Peyton looks down.) OK, you have me no matter what(!)

(Peyton leans back and lies on Brooke.)

BROOKE: Come here.

PEYTON: (Sad, but happy.) Oh, I’m just glad you’re not seeing Felix anymore, I missed you. (Brooke looks a little uncomfortable and bites her bottom lip.)

BROOKE: (Pause) Um… yeah, I –

(Brooke’s cut off as her bathroom door opens and Felix comes out in jeans, no top, wiping his hair with a towel. Everyone freezes.)

FELIX: Oh(!) Hey.

(Brooke stares, open-mouthed as Peyton gets off her bed.)

PEYTON: (Slightly embarrassed.) Oh god, um…

BROOKE: (Trying to stop her.) No, no.

PEYTON: No, I’m sorry to interrupt.

BROOKE: (Holding onto her arm.) No, Peyton. Don’t go.

PEYTON: (Walks to the door.) It’s cool, I’ll call you later.

BROOKE: No! Peyton!

(Peyton exits. Brooke sits up on her bed, looking at the door. Felix stands there, unsure of himself. She collapses onto the bed defeated.)

CHRIS: (v.o) # I’ll let you know,

CUT TO:

[INT. RECORDING STUDIO – RECORDING BOOTH – EVENING]

(Chris sits at the mic, singing and playing his guitar.)

CHRIS: # When it comes,

When it comes,

I’ll let you know,

But don’t stay up for me, no,

Don’t wait up for me. #

(Haley enters the booth from behind and knocks to announce her presence. He turns.)

HALEY: (Smiles) Hey(!)

CHRIS: (Turns and smiles.) Hey.

HALEY: Sounds good.

CHRIS: (Nodding) Thanks. It’s getting there, you know.

HALEY: (Sits and smiles.) Uh, listen. I uh… I hope you know how much I appreciate everything that you’ve done for me. (Chris understands her flow. He smiles and nods.) Um… But I-I don’t… really think we should work together… anymore.

CHRIS: So it got to you? Nathan.

HALEY: No, I just, I think it’s for the best. (Pause) You know?

CHRIS: (Starts to stand.) Well… it’s just as well. You know those… labels from New York? (Stands and so does Haley.) They offered me a… showcase. I think I’m gonna take it.

HALEY: (Pleased for him.) Wow, that’s great Chris.

CHRIS: Yeah. I’m leaving tonight, so I won’t be able to… play the show at TRIC anyway.

HALEY: Oh.

CHRIS: So… I guess this is goodbye.

HALEY: (Smiles and nods.) Well. (Walks up to him and hugs him and pats his shoulder.) Thanks.

(She steps back.)

CHRIS: (Softly) Wait, Haley, come here. (He kisses her and Haley does nothing to stop it. She kisses him back.)

(They separate and Haley just looks at him.)

HALEY: What are you doing?

CHRIS: …Haley.

HALEY: (Hurt) Is that what this was all about; you just hitting on me?

CHRIS: Haley, it’s OK.

HALEY: No, it’s not OK. I ca- (Pause) I can’t believe-

(CHRIS: I want you to take this.)

HALEY: you just did that.

(He gives her a bus ticket.)

CHRIS: Come with me to New York.

HALEY: (Takes the ticket and looks at it.) What!? (Lowers it.) In case you missed something: I’m married(!)

CHRIS: So you made a mistake. Are you gonna let that keep you from the rest of your life, Haley?

HALEY; I did not make a mistake!

CHRIS: Haley, you owe it to your music. You owe it to yourself. (Pause) Your dreams are a bus ride away. (Haley’s upset.) I know you want this Haley.

HALEY: (Looks at him for a b*at before continuing, unconvincingly.) No, you’re wrong, I don’t. (Gives the ticket back to him.) I don’t want it; I don’t want any of it. (Walks to the exit.)

CHRIS: (Takes a last attempt.) It was always there between us, Haley. (She stops and turns.) Whether you admit it or not.

(Haley leaves, confused.)

FADE TO BLACK:

COMMERCIAL SET:

FADE IN:

[INT. TRIC – ENTRANCE – EVENING]

(Peyton is sticking up a paper which reads ‘House of Freaks Cancelled!’, on the door then she returns to the bar to make more. Anna enters.)

ANNA: You cancelling your club night?

PEYTON: (Stiffly) Yeah. (Writes more in black marker.)

ANNA: Because of the rumours?

PEYTON: (Stops and looks ahead.) Because I can’t sing and dance. (Glares at Anna and turns away.) You know what, I’d really rather be alone right now.

ANNA: (Not making a fuss.) OK. (Pause) But… I just wanted to tell you how inspired I was when I saw you at school today.

PEYTON: (Not taking it anymore.) You know what, Anna, that’s great! You were inspired, but when I needed you to stand by me, you blew me off! So I don’t need you here now!

(Anna sulks and leaves the club. Peyton looks quickly before dropping the marker and grabbing her phone.)

PEYTON: (Dials. It rings and clicks.) Hey, Rick, it’s uh… Peyton.

(Camera holds for a second.)

CUT TO:

[INT. JAMES SCOTT APARTMENT – DINING TABLE – EVENING]

(Nathan is laying mats on the elaborately decorated table when there’s a knock at the door. The door opens and Lucas enters.)

NATHAN: Hey man, come on in.

LUCAS: (Indicating the table.) Is this my apology?

NATHAN: No, this is Haley’s apology. I don’t owe you one. You know why? (Looks at him.) Because nobody wants to lose you, Luke; (Lucas rolls his eyes and turns away.) Not your mom, not Keith… not Haley, not me.

LUCAS: (Walks to the counter and sits.) There’s nothing wrong with my heart, Nate.

NATHAN: Yeah? That’s what you said after you car accident. (Pause) You told me you didn’t wanna be afraid to live your life.

LUCAS: That’s right.

NATHAN: Well I don’t buy it, Luke. I think there’s something in your heart you’re running from.

LUCAS: (Smirks, sighs and looks away.) OK, what are you: psychic?

NATHAN: (Completely certain.) You can make jokes about it all you want (Pause) but you know there’s a girl you had feelings for.

LUCAS: (Unnerved) Nathan-

NATHAN: Look me in the eye. Tell me I’m wrong. (Lucas looks at Nathan but can’t say it.) See? (Luca nods.) Now you can be mad at me all you want; you can say your heart’s fine… but till you tell this girl how you feel… (Shrugs) Your heart’s gonna be flawed. You need to talk to her Luke.

(Nathan walks out of the sh*t. Lucas sits there, contemplating.)

FADE TO:

[EXT. ROAD – PEYTON’S CAR – EVENING]

(Peyton is in her car, driving calmly. She’s frowning and upset.)

FADE TO:

(Brooke is on the phone to Peyton’s answer machine.)

BROOKE: Peyton, it’s me. Will you call me back; I’m worried about you, OK? (Felix is buttoning up his shirt in the background. Brooke hangs up.)

FELIX: (Properly worried.) She’ll be OK.

BROOKE: (Unhappy) You can go.

FELIX: (Frowning) Do I have to?

BROOKE: (Impatiently) Felix!

FELIX: Brooke.

BROOKE: Come on!

FELIX: Can I just say what I tried to say at the Formal?

BROOKE: (Sits on her bed.) I really wish you-

FELIX: (Sits facing her.) I wanna be with you.

BROOKE: (Finishes) wouldn’t.

FELIX: I know it was wrong to lie to you about taking you home after TRIC (Pause) but when you looked at me the way you did, (Smiles to himself.) it felt so good to be looked at like that again. Like you saw the real me. (Pause) And you liked what you saw.

BROOKE: (Confused and shakes her head.) You can’t do this to me.

FELIX: I can’t not do it… because I’m tired of hiding from it(!) (sh*t of Brooke’s unsure face.) I just want you to know; I never once took you for granted. (Pause) Not for a second.

(Off Brooke’s face. A cross between disbelieving and hopeful.)

CUT TO:

[EXT. THE RIVERCOURT – BENCHES – EVENING]

(Mouth is sitting on the benches, extremely upset.)

FADE TO:

[INT. ROE RESIDENCE – THE KITCHEN – EVENING]

(Karen opens the door; Deb is standing there.)

KAREN: (Smiling) Deb(!) Come in.

(Deb enters, looking shifty and uncomfortable.)

(Karen looks at her questioningly.)

DEB: (Getting straight to the point.) I lied to you. I slept with Keith.

(Karen’s hurt and speechless.)

FADE TO:

[INT. KEITH’S APARTMENT – LIVING ROOM – EVENING]

(Camera pans across to show Keith walking while talking to Jules’ answering machine.)

KEITH: Hey Jules, its Keith. (Pause) Um… (Sits) I’m sorry to leave this on your machine but… (Smiles) I just realised something and I had to say it; (Pause) I love you. (sh*t of him smiling.)

CUT TO:

[INT. JULES’ HOUSE – LIVING ROOM – EVENING]

(sh*t of the phone as the message from Keith continues.)

KEITH: Call me. (There’s a click and he hangs up.)

(The camera pans to Jules who is sitting on her couch, looking down, upset. There’s a laugh off-screen and Jules glares at the person.)

DAN: (o.s) Nice work, Jules.

(The camera pans quickly to show Dan sitting on his own chair.)

DAN: Just like we planned. (Drinks his alcohol.)

(sh*t of Jules’ sad face.)

CUT TO:

[INT. ANNA AND FELIX’ HOUSE – FRONT DOOR – EVENING]

(Lucas walks up to the front door and stands there, nervous. He knocks. The door is answered.)

LUCAS: (Smiles) Hey. I’m sorry about this. (Sighs) I… I just… I had to see you.

ANNA: Lucas, what’s wrong?

LUCAS: You know how much I care about you, Anna? Because I do. (Anna smiles.) But there’s somebody else. (Anna stops smiling.) And she’s a part of my history that… came before you… and I’ve been lying to myself about the way I feel about her… and I need to see her tonight. (Anna blinks.) Cos I feel like she’s slipping away. (Pause. Sincerely.) I’m sorry… Anna.

CUT TO:

[EXT. STREETS – EVENING]

(Peyton gets out of her car and looks around. She shuts her door and waits, nervously. Rick comes from the side and holds his arms out wide.)

RICK: (Smiling) Looking for me? (Peyton looks around. He laughs.) High school girls. Relax. (Peyton nods and smiles, putting her hands into her pockets.) Is this what you’re after? (Takes a small packet of dr*gs out of his pocket and waves it in front of her.) Hm?

(Peyton looks around and reaches for it. He pulls it back.)

RICK: Got some cash for me?

(Peyton’s speechless. Her attention is diverted and her eyes widen slightly as she sees someone approach. The camera focuses on the wet pavement as the persons shadow comes into view. It pans up to the persons legs before cutting back to Rick and Peyton. Rick turns.)

RICK: (Leans back against her car.) You know this guy?

(Camera cuts back to the person as the camera continues to travel up. He’s still walking towards Peyton.)

(Peyton opens her mouth, speechless.)

(The camera finishes panning up and stops to show Jake, hair cut, looking disappointed and with no Jenny in sight.)

PEYTON: (Gaping before saying to herself, with a smile.) Jake(!)

(Camera cuts back to Jake as he stands there, not saying anything but also not happy.)

FADE TO:

[INT. JAMES SCOTT APARTMENT – DINING TABLE – EVENING]

(Nathan lights candles at the table, still waiting for Haley. Nathan sits, sighs happily and waits for her. He looks at his watch and then out of the window.)

FADE TO:

[EXT. NEW BRUNSWICK COUNTY TRANSIT AUTHORITY – EVENING]

(Chris stands before the woman checking tickets before people get onto the bus. He waits, hoping that Haley will show. He’s just about to hand his ticket over but stops when he sees someone walking towards him. He puts his bag down and smiles as Haley appears. She stops in front of him.)

CHRIS: (Nodding) I knew you’d come.

HALEY: (Looks down and whispers.) I… (Looks up.) I was on my way home to Nathan and I just… (Wipes her tears away.) ended up here.

INTERCOM: Number 42 now departing for New York City; gate 5.

(Chris turns to the speaker then takes out Haley’s ticket. Haley looks at it.)

CHRIS: You ready?

(Haley looks up at him but doesn’t move a muscle.)

FADE TO:

(Brooke is still sitting on her bed with the same expression she was wearing previously.)

FELIX: (Coaxing) Brooke, talk to me. (Brooke glances at him.) Just… just tell me how you feel. (Brooke doesn’t make a noise. Felix waits and then stands up to sit next to her on the bed.) I know it’s scary… and I know you had a tough time with Lucas… but just tell me if you can show me your heart. (She’s very close to crying. Torn by if she wants him or Lucas.) Because if you do, I’ll guard it with my life.

(Brooke takes a deep breath, looks up but still doesn’t answer.)

FELIX: Just say OK.

BROOKE: (Shrugs sadly before whispering.) OK. (Turns and smiles, nodding.) OK.

(She kisses him. The camera pans slowly to her open doorway. Lucas appears and walks further into the light. Close up of Lucas’ wounded expression.)