02x15 - Unopened Letter to the World

Episode transcripts for the TV show "One Tree Hill". Aired September 2003 - April 2012.*

Moderator: UsuallyAlly

Watch/Buy Amazon  Merchandise

This series follows the eventful lives of some high-school kids in Tree Hill, a small but not too quiet town in North Carolina, where the greatest source of pride is the high school basketball team, the Ravens.

02x15 - Unopened Letter to the World

Post by bunniefuu »

[INT. TREE HILL HIGH SCHOOL – CONVERTED SUPPLY CLOSET – DAY]

(Camera pans to Nathan sitting in a room, alone, with a black backdrop. He is looking straight into the camera.)

NATHAN: (Sighs) So you want me to tell you something about myself? (Shakes his head slightly and shrugs.) I don’t have anything to say. Even if I did,… you’d be wrong to believe me. (Pause) Trust is a lie. Nobody ever knows anyone.

FADE TO:

[EXT. TREE HILL HIGH SCHOOL – GROUNDS – DAY}

(Camera pans down from the sky. Students are roaming the grounds of the school.)

PAST TEACHER: (v.o) What does a young fella like you do for-

CUT TO:

[INT. TREE HILL HIGH SCHOOL – CLASSROOM – DAY]

(A TV is on in the classroom and a black and white video is being played. The date behind the boy in a Tree Hill jersey is 1955.)

PAST TEACHER: -recreational activity?

PAST STUDENT: Well… (Smiles) I like athletics,… horsing around with my pals.

(The camera pans across the class as they watch the tape. Nathan has his arms crossed, annoyed. Lucas is almost lying on his arm and other kids show varying signs of boredom.)

PAST STUDENT: I suppose most of the fellas like to chase girls. (Grins)

(The class laughs.)

PAST TEACHER: And does that go for you too?

(Camera focuses on Brooke as she smiles fondly.)

PAST STUDENT: Ah, no sir-

(Cut to Jake as he sits watching. He seems to be the only one truly interested, with the exception of Brooke.)

PAST STUDENT: -I have a steady girl.

(Cut to Peyton.)

PAST STUDENT: Some kids find it difficult; having a steady. (Nathan glares.) I don’t.

(Camera focuses on Mouth.)

PAST STUDENT: I guess the key is, just finding someone who feels the same way you do.

(Whitey switches the TV off and adjusts the blinds, letting light in.)

WHITEY: In 1955, (Walks to the front of the class.) students at Tree Hill High School created a… time capsule which was to be opened in fifty years. They were simply asked to… talk about their lives.

(He grins at the class.)

WHITEY: Isn’t it interesting how things haven’t changed much?

(Brooke is still smiling.)

WHITEY: Within the next week, each of you will go into our… converted supply closet… push the green button in front of you… (The camera pans around the class.) and videotape your thoughts.

NATHAN: (Annoyed) Do we have to?

WHITEY: (Surprisingly mild.) Yes, you have to.

(Nathan blinks and looks away.)

WHITEY: I won’t see it. Nobody will. Not until twenty fifty-five; by which time, I’ll be dead and buried.

(The bell rings. People pick up their bags and get up.)

WHITEY: Nate, you got a second?

NATHAN: No. (Without missing a b*at, he walks out of the classroom.)

(Whitey heads to Lucas instead.)

WHITEY: Are you looking after him?

LUCAS: (Watches Nathan before turning back to Whitey, bothered.) I’m trying.

(Whitey stays put as the class filters out. He sighs.)

CUT TO:

[INT. TREE HILL HIGH SCHOOL – LOCKERS – DAY]

(Peyton walks to her paint-less locker – standing out amongst the rest – and works the combination, opening it.)

JAKE: (o.s) I need to move out.

(Peyton turns to Jake who is walking up behind her.)

PEYTON: What?(!)

JAKE: (Stops in front of her.) (Regretfully) I’m gonna move back in with my folks.

PEYTON: Why, coz we… (Having a slight problem saying the word.) kissed?

JAKE: (Hands in pockets.) Well… yeah!

(She gapes for a b*at before looking down.)

PEYTON: OK, you know what-

JAKE: And I wanna ask you out, Friday night.

(Peyton looks at him, expressionless, before a smile tugs at her.)

JAKE: I talked to Karen. She agreed to watch Jenny.

(Peyton smiles.)

PEYTON: (Whispering) Oh. (Nods) Well, that kinda presumptuous, don’t you think?

JAKE: I don’t know, you tell me.

(She laughs.)

JAKE: Oh, and… (He leans in.) by the way… (Into her ear.) you smell insanely good today.

(He smiles and walks away. Peyton doesn’t know how to respond and turns away, embarrassed.)

PEYTON: Hey! Um… (He looks back.) Friday night - eight o’clock. (Smiles)

JAKE: (Nods) Eight o’clock. (Walks away.)

(Peyton opens her locker with a grin, looks back once, and grabs her books.)

CUT TO:

(A finger reaches out and pushes the green button. A red light turns on.)

PEYTON: (Sits and looks directly into the camera nervously.) OK, first-off, I wanna say happy sixty-seventh birthday to Peyton Sawyer. (Nods and grins.) You were pretty cool back in the day. Um… (Giggles) and to… Jenny Jagielski, who is… (Cuts off as she thinks for a bit.) wow, um, like in her fifties now. Uh… your dad… sure loves you. (Smiles and nods.) (Inhales) Plus, he’s a total fox.

(Her eyes widen - a wicked, playful, gleam in her eyes.)

CUT TO:

[EXT. STREETS – DAY]

(The camera is focussed on the sky.)

KAREN: (o.s) I’m not gonna let him out-fox me.

(Pan down to Karen and Andy walking along outside, holding hands. Andy looks down at her.)

KAREN: My lawyer called. The state requires a mediation before they’ll let me remove Lucas from Dan’s care. (Laughs grimly.) But you know what, I’m not gonna let him rattle me. I will present my case… calmly… and rationally… and let justice prevail.

ANDY: (Nods) Well you’re wise to use the system. (Karen smiles.) But just in case, (Smirks) I mad some calls.

(They stop walking.)

KAREN: (Smiling) And…?

ANDY: (Shrugs) Well, if Dan’s the man I think he is,… my guy should have something soon.

(They exchange smiles. Karen kisses him.)

CUT TO:

[EXT. TREE HILL HIGH SCHOOL – GROUNDS – DAY]

(Lucas approaches Brooke.)

LUCAS: What’s up, Ms. President?

BROOKE: (Smiles) Please don’t remind me. It was really fun to win and all but now I actually have to do something. What was I thinking?

LUCAS: Ah, you were thinking that you’d be great at this and… everyone who voted for you, including me, was thinking the same thing.

(Brooke makes a noise of approval and Lucas laughs.)

LUCAS: But… (Lifts the hand carrying a big silver bag.) I got you something. A present… for the president.

BROOKE: A present(!) Maybe this was a good idea. What did I get?

(Lucas pulls out a big book.)

LUCAS: It’s the book (Hands it to her.) where I found the quote for you. (She looks at the cover, the title is ‘Familiar Quotations’.) There’s a lotta… great stuff on leadership in there.

(Brooke opens the front cover.)

BROOKE: Oh… Lucas, thank you, it’s perfect.

LUCAS: I also thought you’d like these too. (Holds open the bag for her.)

(Brooke pulls out some magazines. Anna and Felix are seen in the background.)

BROOKE: I am so warming up to being the president!

FELIX: (He and Anna finally reach Brooke and Lucas.) There’s my girrrrl! (Holds out his arms.)

BROOKE: Boyfriend, (Hugs him.) hi. How was your cruise?

FELIX: Oh, it sucked(!) Wasted time away from you. (Grins)

(Lucas looks away, shaking his head.)

BROOKE: Yeah, even the topless beach?

(Felix looks at his sister.)

FELIX: Imagine the buzz k*ll when I found my sister there. (Laughs with Brooke and shakes his head.)

(Anna smiles but it’s very forced.)

FELIX: (Indicating the magazines.) What’s this?

BROOKE: Oh, Lucas got me a gift; for being the president.

FELIX: (Feeling threatened, looks at Lucas.) A gift, huh?

(Lucas doesn’t move.)

FELIX: (Pause) Well I was gonna wait and surprise you but what the hell, I’m throwing my baby a party to celebrate; Friday night.

(Lucas looks away again, annoyed.)

BROOKE: A… party with… presents? (Hopefully)

FELIX: You know it.

BROOKE: OH, I so love being the freaking president!

(Felix laughs, puts his arm around her and looks Lucas up and down in disgust.)

LUCAS: (Ignoring him.) Well, look, congrats again, Brooke. (Gives her the bag.)

(Brooke takes it with a smile.)

LUCAS: (Looking at Anna and Brooke.) See ya later.

BROOKE: Thanks, Luke.

(Lucas smiles at her and walks away. Anna watches him.)

ANNA: Uh, OK, I’ll… let you guys… (Makes various hand gestures.) make out and… (Waves her hand a bit and walks away.)

(Felix looks down at Brooke and laughs. She smiles.)

CUT TO:

(Anna sits in front of the black backdrop, looking directly into the camera.)

ANNA: My name is Anna Tagaro and I’m a junior at Tree Hill High… and… (She struggles slightly.) since it’s twenty fifty-five, I guess it’s OK to say that… I’m bisexual. (There is a very long pause.) Although, if I still haven’t found the nerve to come out to my friends and family… by twenty fifty-five,… (Smiles tightly and shrugs.) surprise(!)

CUT TO:

[INT. NEW HOUSE – LIVING ROOM – DAY]

(Close-up of Keith’s smiling face.)

KEITH: Surprise!

(Jules walks through the doorway, looking around wearily.)

JULES: Keith,… what is this?

(The place is empty with white walls and highly polished, wooden floors.)

KEITH: This, my beautiful bride-to-be, (Holds his arms out.) is your new home.

JULES: You bought a house?(!)

(Keith nods.)

JULES: Keith, (Looks around again.) you can’t just buy me a house, this is too much(!)

KEITH: It’s not too much. The truth is - it’s not nearly enough.

(Jules stares.)

KEITH: I love you, Jules.

(He kisses her on the cheek and Jules continues to stare, wide-eyed.)

FADE TO:

[EXT. DAN SCOTT MOTORS (STOCK) – DAY]

CUT TO:

[INT. DAN SCOTT MOTORS – DAY]

(Nathan walks around the dealership in his jumpsuit, holding a rag.)

DAN: Nate?

(Nathan stops and turns to his father.)

DAN: How ya been?

NATHAN: (Shrugs) Drunk, bitter,… (Smirks) kinda like mom.

(Dan laughs slightly.)

DAN: Listen, I wanna apologise to you, son, man to man. (Smiles) It was a hell of a punch you hit me with.

(Nathan sighs and nods, Dan does too.)

DAN: Guess I probably had it coming.

(Nathan nods and turns, uninterestedly.)

NATHAN: (Almost to himself.) OK.

DAN: Hey, (Nathan stops again.) don’t shut me out, or your brother. Especially since we’re all working together now.

(Lucas walks out from behind – on cue – with a clipboard and the exactly the same jumpsuit as Nathan’s. He’s writing something down. Nathan turns his head and sees Lucas. They all look at each other and Nathan scoffs.)

NATHAN: Nice try, dad. It’s not that easy. (Dan glares.) I quit. (He throws his rag at his father.)

(Dan catches it, Nathan walks out and Lucas watches him with a sigh. He turns to glare at Dan some more.)

FADE TO BLACK:

COMMERCIAL SET:

FADE IN:

(Lucas sits in front of the camera, staring straight at it.)

LUCAS: My best friend, Haley, left town recently. (Pauses as he thinks.) And it’s… been hard. You know,… until this year, it’s-it’s always been us against the world. (Smiles fondly.) We pretty much grew up together and… now she’s just gone. (Pause) You know, I… I understand the leaving part. Trust me,… (Laughs sardonically.) I just wish she woulda called me; before she left. (Nods) I wish… I coulda talked to her about it. (Pause) I mean, not to change her mind… or to tell her what to do, but,… just to say (Smiles and shakes his head.) I love you… and I miss you. (Pause as the emotion is wiped from his face.) Just to say goodbye.

(Lucas stares into the camera for a long time.)

FADE TO BLACK:

FADE IN:

[INT. NATHAN’S APARTMENT – LIVING ROOM – DAY]

(Lucas opens the apartment door and enters.)

LUCAS: Nathan?

(Nathan stops his endeavours to turn to his brother. He’s in the process of painting the opposite wall bright pink.)

LUCAS: (Looking at the wall critically.) What’re you doing?

NATHAN: (Slightly crazy.) Haley hates pink(!)

(Lucas crosses his arms.)

LUCAS: Yeah, so?

(Nathan paints over the picture of Haley – that Peyton painted for the after-wedding party – in the same pink. Lucas wants to stop him but there’s nothing he can say.)

LUCAS: Look, Nate.

(Nathan stops and looks at what he’s done.)

LUCAS: Haley’s my best friend. (Pause) You know, I know it’s not the same but… (Nathan picks up a picture frame that is facing the wall.) I get what you’re going through.

(Nathan turns the picture and hangs it up, covering Haley’s picture. It is of a freakishly big clown.)

LUCAS: (Confused) A clown.

NATHAN: Yeah. (Turns to Lucas and shrugs.) They creep her out.

(Lucas is worried about his brother’s sanity.)

LUCAS: Man, you gotta call her.

NATHAN: I did that. (Pause) (Coldly) I got her voicemail.

CUT TO:

(Nathan is sitting in front of the camera again, looking at it.)

NATHAN: Voicemail; I hope you don’t still got that crap.

CUT TO:

[INT. SAWYER RESIDENCE – PEYTON’S BEDROOM – DAY]

(Brooke sits on Peyton’s bed with a big smirk.)

BROOKE: So you’re having sex with Jake Jagielski tonight.

PEYTON: (Walking out of her closet with a top.) (Threateningly) Brooke, it’s our first date(!)

BROOKE: Please(!) You are sharing a bed, you have history, (Peyton looks down.) he’s clearly experienced; see ‘Skanky Ho’, otherwise known as Nikki…

(Peyton laughs and Brooke smiles accordingly.)

BROOKE: Seriously though; sex. You. Tonight. (Peyton looks down. Brooke stands up.) I have to go.

(Brooke heads for the door.)

PEYTON: Wait.

(Brooke smiles and turns. Peyton holds up the tops.)

PEYTON: Which one?

BROOKE: (Lists off quickly.) Black bra, black sweater, leather jacket, Calvin’s, condoms, (Squints) underwear; optional.

(Peyton lowers her arms exasperatedly.)

BROOKE: Have fun(!) (Continues her journey to the door.)

PEYTON: Brooke.

(Brooke turns her head back.)

PEYTON: …You don’t think I’m crazy for wanting to take it slow, do you?

BROOKE: (Hand on hip.) No. (Pause) I don’t think you’re crazy. (Peyton’s unsure.) Now he might. (Peyton raises her eyebrows worriedly.) You’ll be fine; you’ve got good hips.

(Peyton scoffs. Brooke looks at her before she exits.)

BROOKE: I’ll see you at the party(!)

(Brooke manages to leave this time.)

(Peyton raises her hand in leaving, still worried.)

PEYTON: (v.o) Fifty years, huh?

CUT TO:

(Extreme close-up of Peyton’s face. She laughs.)

PEYTON: OK. Well, if you’re young and you’re watching this, uh,… you guys know what you’re up against, especially if you’re a girl, it’s… (Reservedly) sex, right, and,… and even fifty years from now, I’m guessing it’s still a really big deal. You know, it’s awkward… and… threatening… and thrilling. (Pause) But, in a way, it’s like sex is the easy part. You know, it’s… giving your heart to somebody; that’s the scary part.

(She stares at the camera, smiling unsurely.)

CUT TO:

[INT. MEDIATION ROOM - DAY]

(Dan sits at the table with Karen, Lucas and Karen’s lawyer. He has a grotesquely smug look about him.)

DAN: Trust me.

(The camera zooms out.)

DAN: (To Karen’s lawyer.) I understand this mediation’s a formality. (Camera zooms out to show everybody present in the room.) But in my defence, I’m providing a safe and stable environment for Lucas; two parent, loving.

(Camera cuts to Karen, she’s just holding back from shouting.)

DAN: That said, I understand, sometimes, things aren’t always as they appear.

(Karen takes a deep, claming breath.)

DAN: Your name is Roger?

DOUG: Doug.

DAN: (Smiles smarmily.) Doug.

(Lucas shakes his head. Karen holds herself from sighing.)

DAN: Doug,… I’m not sure there’s a courtroom in the country that’d have a problem with the home I’ve made for my firstborn son.

DOUG: (Not bothering to look at him. Reads his papers instead.) Yeah, of course, Dan. Uh, but, I do have a couple of questions.

DAN: (Kissing @#%$.) Um-hum.

DOUG: Can you tell my why you’ve never paid any child support to Karen (Karen looks away.) or offered any financial help for Lucas.

(Lucas looks away.)

DAN: I did offer. (Karen glares at him.) But, uh, Lucas’ mother forbid my involvement; financially and otherwise.

DOUG: (Floored) I see… (Looks back down at his papers.)

KAREN: (Suddenly) @#%$!

(Dan looks at Karen, as does Lucas.)

DOUG: I’m sorry?

KAREN: (Can’t take it anymore.) (Calmly) He’s an @#%$.

DOUG: (Looks between the pair.) OK.

KAREN: I didn’t take his money because to him, money is power (Looks back at his calculating face.) and power is control. (Facing Dan.) AND HE WOULD HAVE USED IT IN THE SAME MANIPULATIVE MANNER THAT HE ALWAYS DOES! (Lucas looks away from his angry mother.) Lucas is my son! And he has been every day of his life and there’s not a COURT IN THIS COUNTRY, DAN, THAT’S GONNA FALL FOR YOUR… @#%$ OF A SUIT AND YOUR… (Off his smile.) CROOKED-@#%$ SMILE AND YOUR… ASSY FRAT BOY HAIRCUT!

(Karen is just about holding it together. Lucas sighs. Dan continues to smile. Karen finally lets emotion take over as she sighs sadly. Doug processes the scene.)

DOUG: Lucas? (Lucas looks at him.) Where do you wanna live?

(Dan turns his smirking face to them. Lucas is caught. Karen looks at her son, praying silently.)

CUT TO:

[INT. ROE RESIDENCE – LIVING ROOM – EVENING]

(Karen enters the house and shuts the door. Andy is in the living room with Jenny, holding a toy close to her. The door slams.)

ANDY: Whoa, we got a baby here.

KAREN: (Desolately) (Sighs) I’m-I’m sorry. I lost track of the time.

ANDY: (Smiles) That’s alright. (Looks down at Jenny.) Me and Jenny have been bonding, hey? (Shakes the toy on front of her.)

(Karen tries to laugh but she’s holding back tears. Andy looks up at her before lowering Jenny into her crib.)

ANDY: (To Jenny.) Come on. You go to sleep. (Looks up at Karen.) How’d it go?

KAREN: (Breaking) …He chose his father(!)

(She starts to cry and rushes out of the room. Andy follows her.)

ANDY: Hey.

(She stops.)

(Karen has a hand over her mouth as she cries. Andy reaches out to her and puts his hands on her shoulders, slightly uncomfortably.)

ANDY: We’re gonna fix this.

(Karen turns to him.)

ANDY: I promise you.

(She cries as he hugs her.)

ANDY: I promise.

KAREN: (Whispers as she inhales hard.) Oh, God(!)

CUT TO:

[INT. TAGARO RESIDENCE – HALLWAY – EVENING]

(The party is raging. There are empty cups everywhere and people milling about. Brooke walks around looking, for once, intimidated at a party, especially in one thrown for her. She has her hands in her pockets.)

FELIX: Hey, that’s my girl!

BROOKE: (Fake smile.) Hi(!) So,… (Pulls him into a room.) I love a party… but… do I know any of these people?

FELIX: (Looks around.) Sure. Look, (Points) there’s Mouth.

(Mouth is sitting on a table, a drunk girl on either side. He stands and walks, over a wasted guy, to them.)

MOUTH: Hi. (Continues walking.)

BROOKE: (Confused) Hey. So… everybody looks… really drunk.

FELIX: Nah, most of them are just stoned.

(Brooke gapes.)

FELIX: Come on. (Makes to leave the room.)

BROOKE: Um,… (Felix stops and turns.) you go. (Felix frowns.) I’m gonna… find a drink.

FELIX: Uh, OK. In the tub.

(Her smile is strained as she watches him retreat. She gives him a thumbs-up. Felix winks and leaves.)

FELIX: (Bumps into a girl.) Oh, sorry.

(Brooke walks around slowly and nervously as she searches for somebody she knows. She hears laughing and people chanting in the background. Her eyes widen in shock.)

(Erica is dressed how you’d expect Brooke to dress. She’s drunk and holding a tube with a section at the top where beer is poured.)

BROOKE: (dumfounded) Erica Marsh?

(Erica yells drunkenly and slaps the hand of a guy.)

BROOKE: ERICA?!

(Erica turns to her unsteadily.)

ERICA MARSH: Oh, Brooke, congratulations! (Holds up the beer-bong.)

(Erica giggles and suddenly, Brooke seems to be the most rational person at the party – for once.)

BROOKE: Do you… drink?

ERICA MARSH: (Looks at the bong.) I do now. Besides, you said I should find other activities. (Waves the bong about.)

BROOKE: Yeah, I meant, like,… pep-club… not… beer-bong club.

(Erica laughs.)

GUY: Come one, Marsh, we’re doing sh*ts!

ERICA MARSH: (Holding her arms up.) Whoooo!

BROOKE: Who is that guy?

ERICA MARSH: I dunno, but he called me by my last name. I mean, how great is that?(!)

(Brooke nods speechlessly as Erica walks away.)

(Nathan walks into the room behind her.)

BROOKE: (Turning to him as he looks around the room.) Nate, thank you for coming.

NATHAN: Whatever, I just ran out of alcohol.

(He walks away and Brooke just wonders at the mess her friends are.)

(Cut to somewhere in another room. Lucas, Mouth, Anna and Tim are sitting in a circle in the middle of the room.)

MOUTH: What’d you seal in the time capsule, Luke?

LUCAS: …Nothing, really. (Frowns and shakes his head.) I didn’t have much to say.

TIM: (Drinking) I did. (Everyone looks at him.) What?(!) It’s important. Some day the kids are gonna need to know the truth about how I really was.

CUT TO:

[INT. TREE HIGH SCHOOL - CONVERTED SUPPLY CLOSET – DAY]

(Tim stands with one foot on the stool, the other on the ground and looks into the camera. He’s leaning on his leg.)

TIM: Pretty much been with all the hot girls; freshmen, seniors. (Nods) Yeah, it’s good times. Currently I’m dating, um,… Brooke Davis.

CUT TO:

[INT. TAGARO RESIDENCE – ROOM – EVENING]

(Brooke sits with the group.)

BROOKE: (To Tim.) What’s with you?

TIM: (Nervously) Nothing.

(Lucas frowns at him, as does Brooke.)

MOUTH: We were just talking about the time capsule; about what we said.

(Brooke rolls her eyes.)

BROOKE: Does it really matter? By the time they open that thing, we’re gonna be old.

(Lucas laughs.)

MOUTH: Maybe not. Sometimes they open time capsules early; when a building moves or there’s a fire. (Anna looks at Mouth worriedly.) (Shrugs) You never know.

(Nathan walks into the room with a blue cup. Lucas stands and attempts to converse with him.)

LUCAS: Hey(!)

(Nathan turns to him.)

NATHAN: Nice wheels outside. Gift from daddy?

(He smiles at Lucas. When he doesn’t say anything, Nathan turns and leaves.)

ANNA: (From behind.) How’s Nathan?

LUCAS: (Turns) Uh,… (Sighs) not good.

ANNA: Well, I know it’s none of my business but that’s your jacket in Felix’s room, right?

LUCAS: (Nonplussed) Yeah.

ANNA: Well,… Nathan was going through the pockets a few minutes ago.

(Lucas pauses as he realises what Nathan’s done.)

LUCAS: (Turning) Thanks.

(He leaves the room.)

MOUTH: (Coming up behind Anna.) What’s going on?

ANNA: Brother stuff. Hey, Mouth, you’re like, in the AV club or whatever, right?

MOUTH: Media club, yeah. (Looks down smiling.)

ANNA: Well,… I said something in the time capsule that I need to erase. (Expectantly) You think you could help me do it? Like,… tonight?

MOUTH: You mean break into the school?

(Anna shrugs. Mouth is hesitant.)

MOUTH: Anna, I can’t.

ANNA: Mouth, haven’t you ever done something that you wished you could take back?

(Mouth looks at Brooke who is looked very bored.)

MOUTH: (Turning back.) Sure. (Nods) Not too long ago, actually.

ANNA: What if you had the chance to erase it?

(Mouth inhales and nods as he gives in.)

CUT TO:

[EXT. TAGARO RESIDENCE – DRIVEWAY – EVENING]

(Nathan walks down the lawn with his drink and Lucas’ car keys. Lucas is walking up behind him, quickly, and they head for the car.)

LUCAS: Hey, Nathan!

(Nathan drinks and ignores him.)

LUCAS: Nathan, stop!

(Nathan walks around the car to the driver’s side and opens the door. Lucas walks to the front of the car.)

NATHAN: (Pointing) Move or I’ll run you over(!)

(Nathan gets in.)

(Lucas puts his hands on the bonnet.)

LUCAS: Give me the keys!

(Nathan grins and starts the engine. Lucas hurries around and opens the passenger side of the car, getting in also. Nathan g*ns the engine.)

LUCAS: Nathan, you’ve been drinking.

NATHAN: You just better hold on. (g*ns the engine some more.)

(Nathan takes off, fast.)

LUCAS: (Calmly) Pull the car over, Nate.

(Nathan shakes his head and takes another swig.)

LUCAS: (Annoyed) Hey, don’t be a d*ck and drink drunk!

NATHAN: (Frowning) I’m not even buzzed(!)

LUCAS: (Nodding at the drink.) It’s still an open container.

NATHAN: Fine(!)

(There’s a b*at before Nathan throws the cup out of the car. Conveniently, it smashes right onto the windshield of a cop car. The window wipers sway and they turn their lights on. One cop looks back and the car takes off after them.)

(Nathan carries on driving, laughing along. Lucas looks back.)

NATHAN: (Laughing) Huh, god I love my life! Think we can outrun them?

LUCAS: Look, just pull over. Don’t make it worse(!)

NATHAN: Alright, Luke. Seeing as how I’ve already been arrested once this year, (Smirks) It’s been nice knowing ya.

(Nathan pulls over. The police car stops behind them and the cops get out, shining their flashlights at the car. They reach the sides and shine their lights in. Lucas and Nathan have switched places – somehow.)

NATHAN: (Looks at the cops and smiles.) Evening officer. Buy us some beer?

(Lucas smiles tightly.)

FADE TO BLACK:
COMMERCIAL SET:

FADE IN:

(Jake is sitting in front of the camera, looking at us.)

JAKE: OK, so,… I’m a single father… and… until recently, a high school dropout… and… I’m going on my first date since my daughter was born… (Pauses as he considers.) Am I a great catch or what?(!)

FADE TO:

[EXT. THE RIVER WALK – EVENING]

(Jake and Peyton walk down the street.)

JAKE: You warm enough?

PEYTON: (Nods and smiles.) Um-hum.

JAKE: That’s good. Coz I had to call in a few favours to get the breeze just right.

(Peyton makes a noise of wonder.)

JAKE: (Nods) Um-hum. How bout the stars? (Looks up.) I told them not to go too heavy so they didn’t look all ‘Movie Moment’. You know, more than a million less than a billion. (Peyton makes various sounds of approval.)

PEYTON: (Amusedly) Right, you know, you wouldn’t think just a stroll down the river would take so much planning(!)

JAKE: What are you kidding?(!) Romantic lighting, (Peyton laughs out loud.) couple scattered about, music in the distance.

PEYTON: Hmmm, you’re just lucky I’m a cheap date.

JAKE: Yeah, I know.

(Peyton laughs and looks down.)

JAKE: And I am lucky,… (She smiles and they look at each other.) to be with you tonight.

(Camera cuts to their hands intertwining.)

JAKE: (Lifting their clasped hands.) You know, some guys charge extra for hand holding.

PEYTON: (Turns and grins.) You know, some girls charge extra for this. (She pulls him forward and kisses him.)

(Fade out to a full-sh*t of them kissing.)

FADE TO:

[INT. TREE HILL JAIL – CELLS – EVENING]

(The jail door closes noisily. Nathan and Lucas are in the same jail. Lucas smirks as he watches them get locked in.)

LUCAS: Perfect(!)

(Walks away from the door.)

LUCAS: Nice work, jack-hole(!)

(Nathan’s lying on the bed in another part of the cell.)

NATHAN: (Sighs) Hey, you’re the one who was driving.

LUCAS: (Laughs harshly as he leans against the bars, his back to Nathan.) Yeah(!) You either thank me, or shut up(!)

NATHAN: Whatever. I didn’t ask to you take the fall.

(Lucas sees a phone that has no right being inside of a jail cell. He walks to it, reaches into his pockets and pulls out some quarters.)

NATHAN: (Sarcastically) Hey, call for a pizza. I’m starving.

LUCAS: (Counting money.) Oh, you’re hilarious. Someone’s gotta bail us out.

NATHAN: No problem; call my wife. Oh, wait a minute, scratch that.

(Lucas looks down dejectedly. Nathan glares at anything – which in this case, happens to be the ceiling.)

CUT TO:

[INT. TREE HILL HIGH SCHOOL – HALLWAY – EVENING]

(Mouth looks around the side of the wall, wearing a ski mask. Anna appears above him. She looks around and then down at him with a sigh.)

ANNA: Mouth, I really- (Takes the mask off.) I don’t think this mask is necessary.

(Mouth stands and looks at her.)

MOUTH: I just don’t want to get into trouble. I’ve never done anything like this before, you know?

(They open the door to the converted supply closet. Mouth turns the light on. He looks at the huge machine that is the store of their time capsule and sighs.)

ANNA: What do you think? Can you erase it?

MOUTH: I don’t know. I gotta figure out if I can take this thing apart first. (Takes his backpack off.) Here, there’s a coffee machine in the teachers lounge (Gives her some money.) this might take a while. (Removes his coat.)

CUT TO:

[INT. ROE RESIDENCE – KITCHEN – EVENING]

(Andy dangles a teabag over his mug.)

ANDY: So it’ll take a little longer than you thought. (Looks at Karen.) But Lucas will come around.

KAREN: (Thinks) He was like a stranger today. He actually chose Dan over me(!)

ANDY: Karen, come on. There’s more to this than meets the eye. You know that.

KAREN: Well then he’s lying to me… and he should trust me Andy. I mean, what’s next, life of crime?

(Andy picks his mug up and drinks. The phone rings. Karen starts and walks to it.)

KAREN: (Answering) Hello!

CUT TO:

[INT. TREE HILL JAIL – CELL – EVENING]

LUCAS: Hey, mom.

CUT TO:

(Karen looks confused.)

LUCAS: (Through the phone.) Mom, uh, look, don’t freak out-

CUT TO:

(Lucas is holding the phone with his fingertips.)

LUCAS: -OK, but I’m in jail… and I need you to bail me out.

CUT TO:

KAREN: (Worriedly) What-what happened? Is it Dan?! (Andy turns to look at her.)

CUT TO:

LUCAS: No. No, mom, its not. It’s… (Pauses) I was with Nathan (Cut to Nathan who shifts slightly, listening.) and we had some beer in the car.

KAREN: (Through the phone.) Lucas, Listen-

CUT TO:

KAREN: -are you OK?

CUT TO:

LUCAS: Yeah, we’re fine.

CUT TO:

(Karen nods.)

KAREN: OK, you got a quarter in your pocket?

CUT TO:

LUCAS: (Baffled) …Yeah.

CUT TO:

KAREN: Good, call the father you love so much.

(She slams the phone down hard enough to break it – it doesn’t. She turns to Andy who looks away. She sighs.)

CUT TO:

(Lucas lowers the phone. Nathan looks at him.)

NATHAN: What happened?

LUCAS: (Incredulously) She’s not coming.

NATHAN: (Puts his head back on the pillow and looks at the ceiling.) Wow,… even you own mom can’t stand you.

(Lucas looks at some bricks sadly.)

CUT TO:

[INT. TREE HILL HIGH SCHOOL – CONVERTED SUPPLY CLOSET – EVENING]

(Mouth plugs his laptop into a connection on the wall. He lifts the screen and Tim is on it. Mouth presses ‘space’ and his recording plays.)

TIM: See, what else, um,… oh yeah, there’s this new girl, Anna, who’s into me but… I’m all ‘girl,… be patient, (Mouth grins.) you know, ‘The Tim’ will get to you eventually’.

(Anna gapes at Mouth.)

ANNA: What did he just say?(!)

(Mouth quickly pauses the recording.)

MOUTH: OK, I think I got it.

ANNA: (Holding coffee cups.) Did that creepy Tim guy say I was into him?

MOUTH: Um… (Nods) sorta.

ANNA: OK, first of all; gross, (Mouth laughs.) second; we shouldn’t be watching these. We’re just here to erase mine.

MOUTH: I know, you’re right. Um… (He clicks around.) let me find it.

(He fast forwards but plays when he gets to Brooke.)

BROOKE: (Grinning self-consciously.) Let’s see, in ten years, I’ll probably be married to someone like Marvin McFadden. (Mouth freezes as he watches.)

ANNA: Who’s Marvin McFadden?

(Mouth doesn’t answer, he just watches the screen, shocked.)

BROOKE: Of course, you all probably call him Senator McFadden or something… but, we just call him Mouth.

(Mouth pauses it.)

MOUTH: It would be really wrong to watch this, right?

ANNA: …Maybe just a… couple of minutes.

MOUTH: …Two minutes, tops(!)

(Anna mouths ‘OK’ and turns to set the cups down as Mouth grabs a chair.)

CUT TO:

[INT. SAWYER RESIDENCE – PEYTON’S BEDROOM – EVENING]

(Payton and Jake enter the bedroom.)

JAKE: (Leaning against the doorjamb.) Well I know tonight’s date was kind of …

PEYTON: (Takes her coat off.) Perfect?

JAKE: …Yeah. Well,… I guess this is goodnight. (Points back.)

PEYTON: Well, it wouldn’t have to be if you were still staying here. (Grins)

JAKE: OK, that’s not fair. The only reason I moved out is because if I stayed here-

(Peyton walks to him.)

PEYTON: (Nods) Uh-huh

JAKE: -we’d.

(She kisses him.)

JAKE: Never. Stop. Doing. That.

PEYTON: (Nods) Uh-huh. That’s a… that’s a problem (Pokes him in the chest.) why?

(Pause as Peyton questions and Jake thinks.)

JAKE: …Right.

(Peyton nods.)

PEYTON: Uh-huh.

JAKE: I guess I can move back in, huh?

(Peyton nods.)

JAKE: Come here.

(He grabs her and kisses her. They fall back onto the bed.)

CUT TO:

[INT. TAGARO RESIDENCE – PARTY – EVENING]

(A guy is carrying Erica who is draped over him, completely plastered. Brooke sees him and stands quickly.)

BROOKE: Whoa, no(!) (To the guy.) Whoa, is she OK?

GUY: (Slightly drunk too.) She’s good. She’s good. It’s cool. I got her.

BROOKE: (Aware) I don’t think so, buddy. It’s Rosey Pom for you tonight, kay? (She takes Erica’s arm and puts it over her shoulder.) Go away. Go away. (He leaves.) (To Erica.) Come here. Whoa, Erica? (Makes Erica face her.) Er-Erica?

ERICA MARSH: (Almost unconscious.) It’s Marsh. Call me Marsh. (Breaths on Brooke.)

BROOKE: (Turning away at the smell.) Oh, OK Marsh. Let’s get you home, OK? Come here, come on, I got you. Whoa, there we go.

(They struggle as they leave the room.)

FADE TO:

(Lucas is sitting at one end of the jail while Nathan lies at the other. Nathan laughs.)

LUCAS: (Hand on head.) What is so funny?

(Nathan gets off the bed.)

NATHAN: You. What, do you need me to, uh, connect the dots for you?

LUCAS: I just need you to shut up(!)

NATHAN: When I first met you, I figured the best way to hurt you was to take Haley away. (Lucas looks away, uninterested.) Now she’s gone, isn’t she?

LUCAS: And is it any wonder she left a stroke like you? (Nathan looks away.) (Maliciously) Look at yourself, you’re pathetic(!)

NATHAN: Oh, I’m pathetic? You’re chasing after a father who doesn’t even want you and I’m pathetic?(!) (Walks to his brother.)

LUCAS: (Rolls his eyes exasperatedly.) Would you just let it go!? Why are you so threatened by that?!

(Nathan doesn’t answer.)

LUCAS: Afraid daddy will like me more than you?

NATHAN: (Shrugs) You mean kinda how he liked my mom better than yours?

LUCAS: (Pissed as he stands.) No,… I mean kinda like how your wife likes Chris better than you(!)

(Nathan punches Lucas. Lucas tries to hit back but Nathan’s too quick for him and can’t get one in edgewise.)

OFFICER: (o.s) Hey! Hey, you two, stop!

(A bell rings.)

(They struggle and Lucas pushes Nathan against the bars and punches him. Nathan drives Lucas into the opposite bars.)

CUT TO:

COMMERCIAL BREAK:

FADE IN:

(Brooke looks into the camera.)

BROOKE: So you’re probably looking at this and making fun of my outfit, right?

(Mouth and Brooke watch her on screen and laugh.)

BROOKE: Anyway, (Laughs) here’s all you really need to know about today; if… you fat, dumb, sexual, and a guy, you’re OK. If you’re a girl, (Shakes her head.) not so much. Please tell me that’s changed in the future.

ANNA: Don’t bet on it. (Mouth looks at her.)

BROOKE: Somebody tell me you’ve got love figured out, because I got news for you; it’s pretty darn messy right now. (Shrugs) But I guess it’s always been that way. Wanting to be loved, to find somebody that makes your heart ache in a good way… feel understood. (Anna nods and looks down.) So… if you’re robots, or aliens, or something and you’re watching this (Mouth smiles.) right now and that feeling no longer exists; well,… you missed it… and I feel sorry for you. (Smiles) Coz as far as I can tell, that’s what it’s all about. And that’s what I know it should be about.

(Mouth and Anna look at the screen.)

CUT TO:

(Lucas and Nathan are handcuffed to separate ends of the jail. A cop walks past them.)

LUCAS: (Looking at his handcuff.) Dan wanted revenge on Keith. (Pause as Nathan looks at him.) That’s why I’m staying with him.

NATHAN: (Moves his cuffed hand about.) Revenge for what?

LUCAS: Keith slept with your mom.

(Nathan looks at Lucas and laughs. He has a cut upper lip.)

LUCAS: It’s true.

NATHAN: Course it is(!) Nobody’s faithful anymore, nobody can be trusted.

LUCAS: (Sighs) Yeah, well, Dan also hired Jules to make Keith fall in love with her.

NATHAN: (Looks at Lucas for a b*at before laughing.) It’s outstanding(!) What else you got?

LUCAS: That’s it. Stay with Dan,… Keith and Jules get to be happy.

NATHAN: (Doesn’t believe that.) Yeah, till she sings a duet… and goes on tour. (Turns away.)

LUCAS: She’s got a dream, Nate.

NATHAN: No,… no, she left to be with Chris. (Sighs) She kissed him, before she left.

(Lucas is floored.)

LUCAS: I’m sorry.

NATHAN: Well, that’s what she said when I called her.

LUCAS: I thought you said-

NATHAN: I lied! (Pause) She said she was sorry. Said she loved me and it wasn’t about Chris. She just… needs some time to figure everything out. (Nathan doesn’t understand that.) You believe that? Because, if I love her… and if she loves me, (Shrugs) what’s there to figure out?

(Neither responds.)

FADE TO:

(Peyton and Jake are on her bed, kissing. The candle blows out. They both turn to look at it.)

JAKE: Do you have ghosts?

PEYTON: (Laughing) Only nice ones. (Laughs) There are matches in the top drawer.

(Jake laughs and moves over to the side of the bed. He turns the lamp on and opens the top drawer.)

JAKE: (Looking in.) Wow!

PEYTON: (Pulling her top up.) What?(!)

(Holds his hand up and there’s a blurry sh*t of a line of condoms. Peyton gapes.)

JAKE: So there are condoms in Tree Hill.

(She looks at him and he grins.)

PEYTON: (Moving over.) Oh, God, um, (Takes them.) those are… so not a plan. (Puts them back.) They’ve been there since-

JAKE: (Cringing) Oh…

PEYTON: What?

JAKE: I just pictured you and Lucas.

PEYTON: No! (Shakes her head.) No, no, no. I never slept with Lucas. Those are Nathan’s.

JAKE: (Nods) I just pictured that, too.

PEYTON: (Embarrassed) OK, well stop picturing things coz it’s not like that. It’s… I’m not like that. I… I’ve only been with one guy and so I’m kinda freaking out a little bit, coz you’re here. And… you’re way more experience than I am, hence your daughter; Jenny.

JAKE: (Quietly) Yeah.

PEYTON: And,… It’s still a big deal to me.

JAKE: (Pauses) Come here.

(She moves closer to him.)

JAKE: I’m so happy to be with you right now. (Peyton smiles.) I mean, I could barely think straight most of the week.

PEYTON: Yeah, me too.

JAKE: Right then, listen to me. I haven’t felt like this in forever… and… I know that I might lose cool points by saying this, but,… let’s just… go slow. OK?

PEYTON: (b*at before she nods.) OK. But… well it’s just that you never really had any cool points.

JAKE: What-

PEYTON: (Laughs) But, baby,… (Nods) you do now.

(He smiles and they kiss.)

FADE TO:

[INT. TREE HILL CHURCH – SEATS – EVENING]

(Dan walks down between the seats. Jules is at the front, head bowed as she prays. Dan stops where she is.)

DAN: (Looks slightly abashed.) Praying for a miracle?

JULES: (Head straightens a bit.) I’ve decided to tell Keith the truth. (Turns her head to him.) I won’t walk down the aisle before I do. (She turns back, depressed frown in place.)

(Dan looks at the front of the church before sitting behind her.)

DAN: Well, (Jules wipes her eye.) maybe you won’t have to.

(Pause as she looks straight.)

DAN: I don’t know, Jules. Maybe I’m getting soft in my old age,… maybe it’s this church. (Looks around.) Or just seeing you two crazy kids in love… but I think I’ll just let this one go.

(Jules turns to him again.)

DAN: Keith doesn’t ever have to know.

JULES: If I do what?

DAN: Nothing. Call it my wedding gift.

JULES: …I don’t believe you.

(Dan stands and hovers above her.)

DAN: I’ve kept my word so far, haven’t I?

(Jules looks at him worriedly as he leaves the seats. His back’s to her as his phone rings. He takes it out.)

JULES: (Disgusted) You couldn’t turn your cellphone off in a church?(!)

DAN: It might be God.

(He smiles and walks away as he answers the phone.)

(The camera pans back to Jules as she looks extremely worried.)

FADE TO:

(Mouth shuts his laptop and looks at Anna.)

MOUTH: OK, Anna. I have it cued up. I didn’t watch it. (Anna smiles gratefully.) You just need to press this button to start it and stop, OK?

(Anna nods. Mouth walks to the door.)

ANNA: Do you wanna know what I said?

MOUTH: (Shakes his head.) You don’t have to.

ANNA: (Rushing on.) I said I was bisexual.

(Mouth looks at her and nods.)

ANNA: It’s just… I thought it would feel liberating,… but, it didn’t. Instead, I just,… ended up here. (Laughs) Back in the closet.

MOUTH: (Shrugs) Then why’d you tell me?

ANNA: I don’t know. I guess it’s easier to tell one person than it is to tell your whole world.

(Mouth smiles and nods. He reaches for the door, closing it behind her.)

CUT TO:

[INT. DAVIS RESIDENCE – BROOKE’S BEDROOM – EVENING]

(Erica is lying, unconscious, on Brooke’s bed while Brooke types away on her laptop, her back to Erica. The camera pans from Erica’s legs to her head and she jerks awake, sitting up.)

BROOKE: (Grinning, she doesn’t even need to turn.) You’re OK; just go with the bed spins. (Twirls her finger.)

(Erica looks around, confused.)

BROOKE: It’s me. (Turns and holds her hand up, laughing.) Pick the one in the middle.

(Erica shakes her head.)

ERICA MARSH: What happened?

BROOKE: (Turns back to her laptop, amused.) You got a little sideways. I brought you home.

ERICA MARSH: (Hand to her head.) This your room?

BROOKE: (Nods) Yeah.

ERICA MARSH: It’s nice.

BROOKE: (Smiles and shrugs.) Well it was until my parents sold everything. Last week they sold one of the ‘O’s in my first name, so now I’m officially ‘Broke’ Davis.

(Erica frowns and looks away uncomfortably.)

BROOKE: (Turns away awkwardly.) (To herself.) OK.

(Brooke stands and walks to her bed, sitting on the end.)

BROOKE: You hit it pretty hard tonight.

ERICA MARSH: (Laughs) Yeah(!) Didn’t you?

BROOKE: (Shakes her head.) Not tonight.

ERICA MARSH: How come?

BROOKE: (Shrugs) Just didn’t make sense for once. So instead I carted you here then, (Looks at her laptop.) came up with a pretty k*ller idea for a safe-ride’s program. (Looks back at Erica.) Your cab will be here soon. You are my first client.

ERICA MARSH: (Smiles) You’re gonna make a great president.

BROOKE: (Nods gratefully.) Thanks.

(Erica nods for a b*at before her face contorts and she looks set to throw-up.)

BROOKE: (Quickly) Waste can, behind you.

(Erica bends over and vomits into it. Brooke smiles kindly and looks away.)

FADE TO:

[EXT. TREE HILL JAIL – EXIT – EVENING]

(Dan waits at the exit while Lucas and Nathan leave the jail side by side.)

DAN: You should have your mail forwarded here. They give you the same cell as before?

NATHAN: I don’t know. (Shrugs) They redecorated.

(Lucas sighs at the constant hostility between the pair.)

DAN: (Smirks) Great(!) Make jokes. You know how much it’s gonna cost me to get you two idiots out of this mess?

NATHAN: Then don’t! Alright? Don’t cut any deals with me (Looks at Lucas.) like you did with Lucas.

(Lucas looks at Nathan, wishing he’d kept his mouth shut. Dan stares, Nathan smirks.)

(Nathan walks past Lucas. He stops at his father.)

NATHAN: Oh, tell mom Keith says hi. (He continues past his father.)

DAN: (Watches Nathan.) (To Lucas) You told him?

LUCAS: Yeah, I did.

DAN: (Conceding) You should have. You’re brothers. (Looks at Lucas.) Go on. He could use a friend tonight.

(Lucas looks at Dan, bemused, before nodding and walking past him.)

LUCAS: (Stops and turns.) Thank you… (Dan looks at him.) dad.

(Dan smiles and they nod. Lucas continues to walk away.)

(Pan back up to Dan. Karen exits the jail and stops when she sees him. She’s obviously hurt. Dan just smirks and leaves. Karen doesn’t move, she stands and watches the place he was just occupying.)

FADE TO BLACK:

COMMERCIAL SET:

FADE IN:

(Peyton is in the closet, looking at the camera again.)

PEYTON: I lost my way, a little bit, this year. But… lately it’s been better. You know, um,… it’s pretty amazing how… temptation can be silenced by a ray of hope. But… when the face to that hope is a boy’s face, I guess, for me, hope comes with trust issues too.

(She smiles tensely at the camera.)

CUT TO:

[INT. NATHAN’S APARTMENT – LIVING ROOM – EVENING]

(sh*t of the pink paint tray and roller. The camera pans up to Nathan who is standing in front of his masterpiece. He sighs and his – never locked – front door opens. Lucas stands in the doorway.)

LUCAS: She still loves you. You know?

(Nathan looks to the side. He pauses but doesn’t say anything.)

LUCAS: Look,… it sucks… that she kissed Chris… but Haley married you. I kinda think that that wins out over some confused kiss.

(Nathan looks down and turns to Lucas fully.)

NATHAN: Maybe I was the confusing part for her.

LUCAS: Nathan,… (Nathan looks away.) Haley fell for you when you were a different guy; a lesser guy. Maybe you should remember the real Haley, even when she’s lesser, too.

(Nathan looks at Lucas.)

LUCAS: Let’s get outta here, man. Come on, little brother. Let’s go.

(Nathan smiles and looks down.)

FADE TO:

[INT. DAVIS RESIDENCE – BROOKE’S BEDROOM – EVENING]

(Brooke is lying on her bed, reading the book Lucas gave her. Felix opens her door and enters. Brooke looks at him.)

FELIX: How much do you hate me?

BROOKE: (Smiles and lowers the book.) I don’t hate you.

FELIX: (Walks into the room.) But you hated the party.

BROOKE: Umm… (Sits up.) I liked my presents.

(Felix smiles and sits on the bed. Brooke shrugs.)

BROOKE: I was sitting there at a perfectly decent party, like I have a thousand times before and… maybe, for the first time, I just felt like I was meant for something more, you know?

FELIX: More than I planned for you?

BROOKE: (Smiles) …‘Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past, let us accept our own responsibility for the future’. JFK said that.

FELIX: (Proud) Look at you go. (Laughs) I’m proud of you, girlfriend.

BROOKE: (Nods) Thanks. I’m proud of me too.

FELIX: (Whispers) Come here. (Hugs her.)

(Brooke frowns slightly as she thinks.)

FADE TO:

[EXT. THE RIVERCOURT – EVENING]

(Nathan and Lucas walk onto the court. Lucas is holding a basket ball; they are just walking in silence.)

LUCAS: You know, after my accident, I asked you what the secret was to getting back. (They stop walking.) You remember what you told me?

(Nathan shakes his head and shrugs.)

LUCAS: You told me there is no secret. (Looks down at the ball.) Just start sh**ting one day and… deal with the pain.

(Nathan smiles and nods as he remembers. Lucas bounces the ball at him and Nathan catches it.)

LUCAS: Somewhere along the way… it gets easier.

(Nathan smiles and looks up, tossing the ball from one hand to the other.)

CUT TO:

[INT. ROE RESIDENCE – LIVING ROOM – EVENING]

(Andy has finished his phone conversation and looks at the phone’s screen. Karen walks in.)

ANDY: (Gets up and walks to her.) Hey. Lucas OK?

KAREN: I’d say far from.

ANDY: (Looks at his phone for a b*at.) Well, my investigator found something interesting about Dan.

(Karen looks at the phone before looking up at Andy hopefully.)

FADE TO:

[INT. TREE HILL HIGH SCHOOL – CORRIDOR – EVENING]

(Mouth and Anna walk down the corridor together.)

MOUTH: I just want you to know that I won’t tell anyone. (They exchange looks.) About you and… you know, girls.

ANNA: (Smiles) Thanks, Mouth.

MOUTH: But could you, maybe, not hit on Brooke, coz I got enough competition for her already. (Smiles)

(Anna and Mouth laugh.)

ANNA: (Whispers) OK.

CUT TO:

(Anna sits in front of the camera and amends her recording.)

ANNA: My name is Anna Tagaro and I’m a junior at Tree Hill High. And… I’m gay… and straight… and a Latina (The camera begins to zoom in on her as her voice gets stronger.) and I hate labels! And I hope by the time you see this, those things won’t be an issue. For now,… all you need to know is this; my name is Anna… and I’m just trying to find my way… like most kids. I guess that part is timeless.

(She smiles sadly at the camera.)

CUT TO:

(Peyton and Jake are on her bed, kissing. The camera zooms in on them as they break apart and smile at each other. Pan to her candles and trinkets.)

FADE TO:

(Jake is in front of the camera again.)

JAKE: So, I’m seeing this girl and (Laughs) I think our experience levels are a little different, you know, but… even so, I’m doing something with her that… I’ve never done before; (Shocked) I’m falling in love.

CUT TO:

[EXT. THE RIVERCOURT – EVENING]

(Nathan and Lucas are on the court, playing one-on-one basketball.)

LUCAS: Bring it. Bring it(!)

NATHAN: Here we go.

(Nathan bounces the ball, Lucas tries to take it off him but Nathan jumps and sh**t.)

(Lucas groans as it goes in. Nathan holds his hands up in victory.)

LUCAS: (v.o) My brother’s been going through a tough time lately.

(Lucas smiles, catches the ball and tosses it back.)

LUCAS: (v.o) I wish there was more I could do to help him.

(Nathan catches it and gets ready to sh**t again.)

HARD CUT TO:

(Lucas is back in the closet. He alternates between looking at the camera and looking away.)

LUCAS: I mean, just getting along is kinda new to us. (Smiles reminiscently.) But I guess that’s how brothers are.

CUT TO:

[INT. KEITH’S APARTMENT – FRONT DOOR – EVENING]

(Jules enters the apartment with a smile. She shuts the door and Keith walks into the room.)

LUCAS: (v.o) Better to each other and worse to each other than anybody else.

(Keith hugs Jules.)

(Camera pans to the mirror; it shows the reflection of Jules who is smiling happily.)

CUT TO:

LUCAS: I also wish I could make things easier for my mom. (Pause) I mean, even though it’s been a tough year for us, (Nods) I want her to be happy more than anything. (Smiles and shakes his head.) But that doesn’t change the fact that I need to get closer to my father (His face hardens.) because if I can get closer to him, maybe I can find a way to b*at him. (Looks at the camera.) Once and for all – set the people that I love free(!)

(The camera zooms in on him slowly.)

LUCAS: (Stiffly) I just hope I have the strength to tear him down for good(!)

FADE TO:

[INT. TREE HILL HIGH SCHOOL – WHITEY’S OFFICE – EVENING]

(Whitey has put the tape from 1955 on again.)

PAST STUDENT: I suppose, a fella just wants to fit in; find a good girl, maybe, one day, do great things.

PAST TEACHER: Tell us about that steady girl of yours, Brian.

PAST STUDENT: (The camera pans down.) Well her name is Camilla-

(The camera stops at the framed picture of Camilla Durham.)

BRIAN DURHAM: -and my wish is that one day she’ll agree to be my wife… and we’ll grow old together.

(Camera rotates to show Whitey at his desk. He’s smiling.)

BRIAN DURHAM: I’d like to have a boy of my own one day. Maybe lotsa kids.

(Fade to the row of pictures on Whitey’s desk. It’s of his past basketball players. Some pictures are black and white, others are in colour.)

BRIAN DURHAM: I’d like to try to teach them; right from wrong, good from bad. I’d like to let them teach me.

(Camera fades back to Whitey but you can still see a sh*t of his most recent team. Whitey’s smiling but also has sad tears rolling down his face.)

BRIAN DURHAM: I think I have something to offer them. (Whitey nods.)

(Cut back to the TV.)

BRIAN DURHAM: Well, I hope so. I guess only time will tell.

(Fade back to Whitey who is crying. He tries to smile.)

END