02x23 - The Leavers Dance (2)

Episode transcripts for the TV show "One Tree Hill". Aired September 2003 - April 2012.*

Moderator: UsuallyAlly

Watch/Buy Amazon  Merchandise

This series follows the eventful lives of some high-school kids in Tree Hill, a small but not too quiet town in North Carolina, where the greatest source of pride is the high school basketball team, the Ravens.

02x23 - The Leavers Dance (2)

Post by bunniefuu »

[INT. ROE RESIDENCE – LIVING ROOM – EVENING]

(Lucas is holding the annulment papers and looking down at it. He flips it over and throws it aside roughly. He takes out Haley’s assignment and throws at aside too. Lastly, he takes out his HCM pills and takes one out. He only has one left in the tub. He puts the cap back on and puts it into the bag.)

(He takes one pill while downing water from his bottle.)

FADE TO:

[INT. ROE RESIDENCE – BROOKE’S BEDROOM – EVENING]

(There’s a knock on the door and it opens to Brooke at the bed, putting her clothes into a bag. She looks at the doorway and sees Lucas enter.)

LUCAS: Hey.

(He crosses his arms and leans against the doorframe, sighing.)

LUCAS: Need some help?

BROOKE: Nah. I figure if I leave all my stuff here, my parents are gonna have to let me come back for senior year. (Smiles and puts some more stuff into her bag.)

LUCAS: (Strained) Look, are we ever… gonna talk about Peyton? And the stuff you found?

BROOKE: (Evasively) It’s not a big deal. (Lucas looks away and shakes his head.) Actually, I was… kinda relieved.

LUCAS: (Confused) Relieved?

BROOKE: I thought you might be into me. (Shrugs) And… that would’ve ruined everything because we’ve become friends… and that’s exactly what I needed. (Pause) And… it’s exactly what I want. (Smiles and nods.)

LUCAS: (Quickly) But you seemed… upset… that I held onto all that stuff; you still do.

BROOKE: Finding that stuff was kind of like… evidence. (Lucas looks down sadly.) Reminded me of what happened… and how it happened. (Pause) And I guess my heart just wasn’t ready for that. (Her voice is shaky.)

(She smiles tightly.)

(Lucas nods and Brooke zips her bag. She lifts it down and puts it onto the floor beside her.)

CUT TO:

[EXT. BRIARWOOD RECOVERY CENTER – FRONT ENTRANCE – DAWN]

(Deb drops her bag at her feet and waits for a ride. She looks around for anyone she knows.)

WHITEY: (Walking up to her with a smile.) How you feeling, Ms. Scott?

(Deb is genuinely pleased to see him.)

WHITEY: Well, I guess you’re waiting for Danny.

DEB: Uh, yeah, yeah, he… planned to pick me up. I was… hoping he’d bring Nathan.

WHITEY: (Laughs) I lied. I had one of the girls at the office put you back an hour. I thought you and I might… have a talk.

(Deb assesses him.)

CUT TO:

[INT. TRIC – BAR – DAY]

(Peyton is hauling kegs around while The Wreckers play in the background. A woman walks into the club and straight to Peyton.)

ELLIE: Any chance you could tap that thing?

PEYTON: (Laughs) Sorry, we’re closed.

ELLIE: Well, I hope so because if this is open, you’ve got problems.

(Peyton laughs.)

ELLIE: Where’re you taking this?

PEYTON: (Points right.) Over there, but… (Ellie picks it up and moves it.) I got it. Uh,… thanks.

ELLIE: No problem. If I had a dollar for every keg I’ve carried, (Puts it down and stands straight again, looking at Peyton.) I’d be a rich girl.

PEYTON: Bartender?

ELLIE: Only when I’m not k*lling people or saving the world. (Smiles)

(Peyton laughs.)

PEYTON: Well, if you’re looking for a job, I can put in a good word with the owner.

ELLIE: Actually, I’m looking for Peyton.

PEYTON: Oh, um,… I’m Peyton.

ELLIE: (Smiles widely.) Oh(!) (Holds out her hand.) I’m Ellie. I write a column for Alternative Press. You know it?

PEYTON: (Delighted) Know it? I read it cover to cover. Which column?

ELLIE: Actually, it’s-it’s a new one. (Peyton nods.) But I heard some high school girl got The Wreckers and Jimmy Eat World to play her club night.

(Peyton looks away, heartened.)

ELLIE: And I wanted to know more. Whaddaya say?

PEYTON: I’d say I’m really flattered, but,… I think last night was my final show. (Looks down.)

ELLIE: Well, I assume there’s a reason for that?

PEYTON: (Nods) Yeah.

ELLIE: Sounds like the makings of a great story.

PEYTON: (Still smiling.) No thanks. (Pause) But it was really nice to meet you. (Nods)

ELLIE: (Nods) It’s nice to meet you too, Peyton.

(Ellie touches her hand. Peyton looks at it before looking back. Ellie smiles and leaves.)

CUT TO:

[INT. ROE RESIDENCE – LIVING ROOM – DAY]

(Close-up of the card as Lucas pulls it out of the envelope. It says: ‘Luke, Find the combination and Dan is finished. -Andy’.)

LUCAS: (Reading) Luke, find the combination and Dan is… finished.

(He puts the card aside, frowning, and puts the disk into the drive. He clicks and sees Dan pulling the picture down. He smirks as he sees Dan look through the ledger.)

FADE TO:

[INT. DAN SCOTT MOTORS – DAN’S OFFICE – DAY]

(A small post-it on the door says ‘Back at 1pm’. Lucas walks up to the door and opens it, sneakily. He takes out the tape in the video recorder and puts it into his bag just as Nathan enters.)

NATHAN: (Suspiciously) Hey. (Pause) What’s up?

LUCAS: Nothing, you?

NATHAN: I thought you said you were done spying on him(!)

LUCAS: (Lying well.) I am.

NATHAN: Then what’s in the bag?

(Lucas scoffs and reaches into the bag. He’s holding aside the annulment papers with his hand and pauses for a second before pulling out his old uniform.)

LUCAS: Just… bringing this back to you. (Squints)

NATHAN: You gave me your word, Luke.

LUCAS: (Walking forward.) I know, and I’m done. (Gives him the uniform.) I promise(!)

(Lucas walks past him. Nathan turns and watches him.)

FADE TO BLACK:

COMMERCIAL SET:

FADE IN:

[INT. NATHAN’S APARTMENT – LIVING ROOM – DAY]

(Nathan walks out of the bedroom and into the living room, holding something. It’s a dream catcher. He throws it onto the table.)

DEB: (o.s) Giving up on your dreams?

(Nathan looks up at the familiar voice and grins.)

NATHAN: Mom.

(Deb is standing in the doorway.)

DEB: (Walks forward.) Oh, my boy(!) (Hugs him.) I have missed you(!)

NATHAN: It’s gonna be OK now, mom.

DEB: (Nods) Yeah. (Looks at the almost empty apartment.) So, what’s all this about?

(Dan moves into the doorway.)

DAN: Nathan’s moving home, Deb.

(He smiles. Deb doesn’t look all too happy at his insinuation or seeing him. Nathan smiles)

DAN: We’re gonna be a family again.

(He hugs her.)

DAN: Welcome home.

(Deb remains stiff in his arms, desolate that she’s still trapped.)

CUT TO:

[INT. SAWYER RESIDENCE – PEYTON’S BEDROOM – DAY]

(Peyton walks around in her room. She looks at the wall with the picture of two hands; both wearing wedding rings. A picture she had given to Nathan when Haley first left.)

(Her computer’s on and the instant message box pings. She turns her head to it and walks to the computer. She looks at the screen and frowns.)

(The person who messaged her is called ‘WATCHMEWATCHU:’ The person says Welcome back. Peyton replies with; ‘Not a good day to be cryptic. Who is this?’. The person says; ‘I’m watching you’.)

(Peyton is slightly scared and covers the camera with one of her tops.)

BROOKE: (o.s) Hi-O!

PEYTON: (Starts in her chair and covers her face.) Oh God!

(Brooke appears and jumps onto Peyton’s bed, landing on her stomach and facing Peyton.)

BROOKE: What?

PEYTON: You scared the hell outta me.

(Brooke shrugs in confusion.)

PEYTON: You don’t know anybody who has IM named ‘WATCHMEWATCHU’, do you?

BROOKE: (Amused) Sounds pervy. Sadly no, why?

PEYTON: Doesn’t matter. Sup?

BROOKE: It’s actually what I came to ask you. Couldn’t find you at the club last night; figured maybe you stayed in with Jake.

PEYTON: (Looking down.) Jake’s gone, Brooke.

(Brooke’s suddenly not smiling but she doesn’t need to say anything for Peyton to elaborate.)

PEYTON: Nikki has Jenny.

(There is avid pain in her eyes.)

BROOKE: Oh, (Starts to get up.) Peyton, come here. What happened?

(Peyton waves her off, trying to stop her from coming any closer, and covers her face again. Brooke sits back down.)

PEYTON: I can’t, coz if you hug me, then I’m gonna start… bawling again, so… some summer break, huh?

BROOKE: (Sighs) Well,… I mean, he’s coming back, right? He’ll… find Jenny and then he can slap Nikki and then he’s coming right back to you(!) I just know it.

PEYTON: Thanks. (Throws her hands up.) OK, I’m sorry, (Stands up.) I’m changing the subject; how was your road trip (Sits on her bed next to Brooke.) with Lucas.

BROOKE: Um,… fine.

PEYTON: Fine? Is this gonna get sexual?

BROOKE: (Smiling tightly.) I don’t know, that’s kind of up to you.

PEYTON: (Confused) What?

BROOKE: (Brushing it off.) It can wait. You’re head is spinning(!) (Falls back onto the bed.)

PEYTON: Brooke, considering you’re leaving, tomorrow, it can’t wait.

(Brooke groans.)

PEYTON: Spill(!)

BROOKE: (Moaning) OK(!) (Sits up.) Um,… (Very quickly.) I was snooping through Lucas’ things; kind of on purpose, and found a bunch of your stuff that he saved and I think he’s still into you. (Looks at Peyton nervously.)

PEYTON: … Huh(!)

BROOKE: Like I said: bad timing… seeing that Jake just left, or maybe good timing?

PEYTON: (Looks at Brooke mournfully.) Brooke, (Takes her hand.) I’m sorry. I know you have feelings for Lucas.

BROOKE: Phantom feelings. (Peyton raises her eyebrows.) Like… when you lose a leg and try to scratch it. Lucas was my… (Thinks of an appropriate term.) gangrene infected, amputated limb.

PEYTON: (Not buying it.) Really?

BROOKE: (Conceding) I was so insecure when I was with him, Peyton… and this whole thing just reminded me that I don’t wanna be that girl again. I won’t be.

(Peyton considers.)

CUT TO:

[INT. KAREN’S CAFÉ – COUNTER – DAY]

(Karen is standing behind the counter, on the phone and trying to get a hold of Andy.)

KAREN: Marcus, I don’t understand, he was supposed to be there by now.

(Waits)

KAREN: Well,… can you leave him another message in case he checks in? (Pause) Andy Hargrove. (Pause) Thanks.

(She hangs up the phone and turns to look at the streets through the door. Her eyes widen as she sees Keith standing there in a blue shirt. A black car pulls up, pauses for a b*at, and when it drives off, Keith’s gone.)

(Karen gapes, unsure of whether she saw him or not. The bell above the door rings and Deb enters.)

DEB: (Enquiring) Karen?

(Karen finally comes to.)

KAREN: (Rushing forward.) Oh my gosh, Deb(!)

(They hug.)

KAREN: Welcome back(!)

(Deb hugs her tightly before letting go.)

DEB: You look like you just saw a ghost.

KAREN: Well, I think I did. How you feeling?

(They walk further into the café.)

DEB: Uh, good. (Nods) Great actually. I just,… I need to keep busy.

KAREN: Are you sure? I mean,… you don’t wanna take some time?

DEB: Uh, no, no, absolutely not.

KAREN: Well, OK. Let’s talk.

DEB: OK.

(They walk around to the back.)

(The bell rings again and Peyton enters. She looks at Ellie who is sitting at her laptop on one of the tables. Peyton approaches her slowly.)

PEYTON: You’re not going away, are you?

ELLIE: (Looks at her and smiles.) Not this time.

PEYTON: (Pointing to Ellie’s jacket.) That’s a rad jacket.

ELLIE: Thanks. (Pause) I stole it from Courtney Love.

PEYTON: Really?

ELLIE: Yeah. She was being a bitch. (Peyton laughs.) So I took it(!)

(Ellie smiles and shuts the laptop.)

ELLIE: Have a seat.

(Peyton complies.)

PEYTON: So, the editors at THUD are thrilled about your story and they say I have to talk to you.

ELLIE: (Nods) Is it that bad?

PEYTON: Well, if there’s no House of Freaks at TRIC, there’s no story.

ELLIE: (Waits) And what about the rest of your life? Is it that bad?

PEYTON: …What do you know about it?

ELLIE: Well,…your eyes are puffy which, from experience, screams textbook crying eyes. (Peyton looks away.) You have your hair up so you’re probably not planning on impressing any boys today. (Pause) I’d say you’re nursing a hell of a broken heart; and not the school-girl crush kind, the real thing.

(Peyton looks at her, confused. Ellie smiles at her.)

PEYTON: Um,…OK. Uh,… well, I mean, I started TRIC to escape it all, you know, and… (Ellie nods.) bring people together; let the music drown out the white noise in life.

ELLIE: And tell me about your life. What is the white noise made of?

PEYTON: Oh, god, I mean,… everything unnecessary,… like… cliques and… greed and popularity and harassment-

ELLIE: (Getting it.) The song remains the same.

(As they talk, the camera pans right and the sh*t fades – unfocussed – to:)

PEYTON: (o.s) Yeah, as far as I can tell, it does.

FADE TO:

[EXT. THE RIVERCOURT – DAY]

(A basketball flies into the hoop. Nathan catches the ball. The camera cuts to Deb getting out of her car; smiling.)

(She shuts the door and approaches her son. Nathan smiles.)

DEB: Looks like we’re both getting better. (Smiles) You love this game, don’t you?

NATHAN: (b*at as he considers.) Depends on what day you ask me.

(Nathan bounces the ball at her.)

DEB: (Catches it.) Nah, you loved it every day since you could hold a ball.

(Nathan nods.)

DEB: So,… why aren’t you going to the camp?

NATHAN: You talk to dad?

DEB: Talked to Whitey. (Smiles) He said you’re staying because of me.

NATHAN: Whitey also drinks a lot, mom.

DEB: (Laughs) Then you’ll go(!) (Bounces the ball back at him.)

NATHAN: (Looks at the ball as he talks to his mother.) Look, uh,… (Sighs) dad told me about the pills; about how you started taking them because…

DEB: Because what?

NATHAN: …Because I moved out.

DEB: (Shocked and disgusted.) Is that what he told you? I took the pills because you moved away?(!)

NATHAN: (Little lost boy look.) Yeah(!)

DEB: (Whispering) That son of a bitch(!) (Pause) Nathan, listen to me; you misunderstood me when I said that I wanted us to be a family again. I want us to be a family again; you and me. (Pause) Will you come with me?

NATHAN: (Doesn’t need to think twice.) Yeah. (Looks to the side.) But what’re we gonna do about dad? Huh, he won’t just let us go.

DEB: We’re getting out, Nathan, together. Your father can burn in hell for all I care(!)

(Nathan considers but has no objections.)

CUT TO:

[INT. DAN SCOTT MOTORS – SALES FLOOR – EVENING]

(Dan locks up the dealership for the evening. He walks out. The camera pans down to Lucas who is sitting in the same car that Andy was when he caught Dan looking at the ledger.)

(Lucas walks into the office and takes the large picture down. He stares at the safe. He looks around.)

LUCAS: (Whispering to himself.) Where is the combination?

LUCAS: (Annoyed) Damn(!)

(He looks around again and spots Dan’s framed jersey with his jersey number – 33 – clearly visible. Then he looks down at a framed photo of Dan and Nathan on the desk with Nathan’s jersey number – 23 – visible. Then he looks up at his own framed picture with his own jersey number: 03. He turns back to the safe and types in 33233. The lock clicks back and the safe opens.)

(Lucas smirks and opens the safe. He takes out the ledger and looks at it emotionlessly.)

LUCAS: (To himself again.) Game over.

FADE TO BLACK:

COMMERCIAL SET:

FADE IN:

[INT. ROE RESIDENCE – BROOKE’S BEDROOM – DAY]

(There’s a knock on Brooke’s door. It opens and Lucas enters.)

LUCAS: (Squinting) Brooke?

BROOKE: …Um,… (Cut to Brooke who is in her cheerleader outfit.) I found it while I was packing. Just… kind of felt like I should try it on.

(She smiles as does Lucas. The room is almost completely bare.)

LUCAS: (Laughs before pausing.) Can we talk?

BROOKE: Yeah. (Motions for him to enter.)

(Lucas enters the room and sits on the bed while she does the same. She looks at him, smiling.)

LUCAS: I can’t let you leave tomorrow without saying this.

BROOKE: Lucas, if this is about Peyton, I-I don’t-

(Lucas shakes his head, cutting her off.)

LUCAS: I love you, (Brooke’s expression freezes.) Brooke.

(Brooke blinks.)

LUCAS: And, I know: just friends, but,… I need you to know how I feel.

(Brooke is too shocked for words. She stands up and walks forward, her back to him.)

BROOKE: I can’t believe I’m hearing this(!)

LUCAS: Brooke, don’t go.

BROOKE: I can’t believe… you would walk into my bedroom -… (Frowns) formally your bedroom; (Shakes her head.) but that’s besides the point -… and knowing our history,… blurt out that you love me(!)

(Lucas looks away, defeated. He nods.)

BROOKE: (Smiling as she stands by the door.) Coz I was hoping you would.

(Lucas looks at her and she smiles as she closes the door.)

(Brooke locks the door.)

LUCAS: Brooke?

(Smiling, Brooke walks to him.)

BROOKE: It took you long enough.

(She straddles his lap and they kiss. She laughs and takes his t-shirt off. They kiss again before breaking apart.)

LUCAS: (Whispering) This has gotta be a dream.

(Brooke shakes her head and kisses him again. They fall onto the bed.)

CUT TO:

[INT. ROE RESIDENCE – LUCAS’ BEDROOM – EVENING]

(And Lucas falls out of his own. It was a dream and we wonder how many bedrooms there are in Karen’s house and why Brooke couldn’t have had that one instead of Lucas’.)

(Lucas groans as he realises that it was just a dream. He looks up, sees he’s alone and whines desolately.)

CUT TO:

[INT. ROE RESIDENCE – BATHROOM – DAY]

(Lucas is having a shower when the door opens and Brooke enters; slightly annoyed.)

BROOKE: Lucas! Do not make me join you!

(She shuts the door.)

LUCAS: (Trying to cover himself, embarrassed.) Uh,… a little privacy here.

BROOKE: No, you have been in the shower forever. By the time I even get in, the water is gonna be-

(She sticks her hand into the water, gasps and backs off.)

BROOKE: -COLD(!) (Looks at her wet hand.) Are you taking a cold shower(!)?

LUCAS: (Trying to play it cool.) No, the hot water just-

BROOKE: (Closing her eyes.) Gross(!) You are. You know what, next wet dream, tell Peyton I said ‘hi’. (Snarkily)

(Brooke waits for a b*at.)

BROOKE: Eww! (She exits the bathroom quickly.)

(Lucas looks at the shower curtain defeatedly and sighs.)

CUT TO:

[INT. ROE RESIDENCE – LIVING ROOM – DAY]

(Karen is at the sofa, folding clothes. Lucas exits the bathroom and walks into the living room, towel drying his hair.)

LUCAS: Mom, can we get a lock on the bathroom door?

(He sees what she’s up to and pauses.)

LUCAS: Going somewhere?

(She doesn’t answer and her manner makes it seem as if she’s angry with him.)

LUCAS: Like New Zealand?

KAREN: (Her back to him.) You know, Keith was right. (Pauses) Uh, he once told me that I… I hide my heart and I run from love. (Pause) I did that with Andy.

(Lucas looks at her.)

KAREN: I-I’m just being dumb; we don’t even have money for two plane tickets to New Zealand, right?

LUCAS: (Smiles) We have enough for one.

(Karen doesn’t answer him.)

LUCAS: Look,… mom, I love you… but… I’m a big boy now and I’ll be fine on my own. (Nods and smiles.)

(Karen smiles at him.)

LUCAS: It’s your journey to take.

(Karen waits for a while before walking to Lucas.)

KAREN: (Sighs) If-if I thought he was coming back soon, I wouldn’t even consider it.

LUCAS: I know.

KAREN: But you’re… (Sighs) Dan… is pulling the strings as usual.

(She sighs and turns back to her luggage. Lucas looks off, angrily.)

LUCAS: (To himself.) Not for long.

(He exits the room.)

CUT TO:

(Nathan is playing basketball on his phone while Peyton walks around, packing his things and lugging boxes around. She drops the box and turns to him.)

PEYTON: Let me ask you something: (Nathan looks at her.) are you not helping me move you because it brings back bad memories or because you’re a lazy pile of crap?

(Nathan shuts the phone and smiles at her.)

NATHAN: You mean,… (Reaches down and retrieves a framed photo.) bad memories like these?

(Peyton takes the frame and looks at the picture of Nathan and herself, smiling happily.)

PEYTON: Oh god(!) (Shoves it back at him.)

NATHAN: (Laughs) We started off the school year this way.

PEYTON: (Smiling) Yeah, don’t remind me.

NATHAN: You were never happier.

PEYTON: You were never hornier(!)

NATHAN: Oh yeah? You want some more of that magic?

PEYTON: Don’t-

NATHAN: Come here. (Grabs her.)

PEYTON: No-

NATHAN: Come on.

PEYTON: (She lands on him and he tickles her.) OK, stop it! (He tickles her some more.) Ah!

(Nathan laughs and Peyton shouts.)

NATHAN: Come on.

(The door opens and Brooke enters.)

PEYTON: Will you STOP!

BROOKE: Well, well(!)

(Peyton’s eyes widen and she stands up.)

BROOKE: First Lucas, then Jake, now Nathan. (Smiling) I guess slutty’s in season(!)

PEYTON: And why is bitch being a Brooke?

BROOKE: I don’t know, maybe because I’m leaving for the summer; possibly forever and my best friend is off… giving interviews and (Crosses her arms.) having… pseudo-innocent foreplay with kinda married guys.

(Nathan’s back on his phone and spares the slightest of glances at the girls.)

PEYTON: OK.

(Cut back to Peyton who’s on her phone suddenly.)

PEYTON: Hi, Alternative Press? (Pause) Editorial please.

BROOKE: (Leaning against the door.) What’re you doing?

PEYTON: (Smiling) I know that you are needy right now and so I’m postponing the interview until after my best friend is gone for the summer.

(Brooke bounces giddily and enters the apartment properly.)

PEYTON: (Into the phone.) Hi, Ellie Harp, please.

(Peyton listens and Brooke bends down, over Nathan’s shoulder so that she can see what he’s doing.)

PEYTON: Oh, OK, um,… maybe I have the name wrong. (Pause)

(Brooke smiles as Nathan plays.)

PEYTON: She’s doing an article on Peyton Sawyer and the nightclub TRIC.

(Brooke looks up at her.)

PEYTON: Oh, are you sure?

(Peyton locks eyes with Brooke.)

PEYTON: (Listens) OK, thanks. (She hangs up.)

NATHAN: You OK?

PEYTON: The woman said that she knows all the columnists at the magazine and she’s never heard of Ellie Harp or the story.

(Nathan squints.)

BROOKE: So,… maybe you have the wrong magazine?

PEYTON: (Not buying it.) Yeah, maybe.

(Peyton frowns slightly.)
CUT TO:

[EXT. SCOTT RESIDENCE – BACK GARDEN – DAY]

(The ledger is on the table. Lucas flips it open to a page.)

LUCAS: Every transaction is listed. The actual sale price and the price Dan declared to the government. (He looks to the side.) He’s done it a thousand times Deb; it’s a federal offence.

(Deb has the ledger in her hands and is flipping through it.)

DEB: Prison?

(Lucas nods. She flips a page.)

DEB: So,… why are you bringing this to me? He’s my husband.

(Lucas pauses.)

LUCAS: And he’s my father. (Pause) But,… I figured you could use it to get away from him. (Pause) To get out.

DEB: You’d do that for me?

LUCAS: Yeah, and for Nathan… and Keith… and everybody else he’s hurt.

DEB: So,… this is it. This is the smoking g*n that can bring down Dan Scott.

LUCAS: Yep. (Nods)

CUT TO:

(The camera pans to Dan slowly as he takes the huge picture off the wall. He taps in the code and opens the safe. He sees that it’s empty but can’t tear his eyes away from it. He can’t believe what he’s not seeing.)

(Deb steps into the sh*t. She’s at the doorway with her arms crossed; leaning against the doorframe.)

DEB: (Exhales) Looking for something?

(Dan turns to her. It’s Deb’s turn to smirk and she does.)

FADE TO BLACK:

COMMERCIAL SET:

FADE IN:

[INT. SCOTT RESIDENCE – KITCHEN – DAY]

(A door bangs. Deb is in the kitchen. Close-up of her stirring lemonade.)

DAN: (Walking into the kitchen.) Where is it?

DEB: Where’s what?

DAN: Don’t play dumb with me! Where’s the ledger?!

DEB: Oh, you mean the ledger that exposes my husband’s illegal activities over several years? (Pours a glass of the lemonade.) Tell me that ledger doesn’t exist, Dan.

DAN: You don’t see the big picture, Deb.

DEB: Oh, I think I do.

DAN: JUST GIVE ME THE DAMN BOOK!

DEB: You told Nathan that my addiction was his fault.

DAN: (Smarmily.) What’re you talking about?

DEB: You knew I wouldn’t come back unless Nathan was living here.

DAN: Take another pill, Deb? You’re delusional. (Smirks)

DEB: No, I was delusional: loving you, thinking you’d change. But I-I’ve got clarity now, Danny-boy, and I finally see you for the pathetic, broken man you are. (Raises the glass at him, smirking.) Lemonade?

DAN: You know, a guy like me works his entire life trying to build something. (Pause) Trying to make his mark in the world; to provide for his family, (Walks forward.) working hour after hour to turn the seed of an idea into a successful business.

DEB: A fraudulent business.

DAN: (Stands in her personal space.) A fraudulent business owned by my wife(!)

(Deb takes a moment before looking up at him.)

DAN: You know, it’s a shame that ignorance isn’t an excuse, Deb, because when you turn in that ledger, both of Nathan’s parents will be felons. Hell, you’ll just go from one institution to the next. Today: the drunk t*nk, tomorrow: prison.

DEB: (Glaring at him.) You bastard.

DAN: No, Deb, the bastard would’ve been Nathan; that is, if I wouldn’t have married you. (Grins) And made us all so happy.

(Deb looks at him, thinking.)

DAN: Where’s the ledger, Deb?

(Deb looks down. She’s unsure of what to do; stop Dan for good or save herself.)

CUT TO:

(Peyton is sifting through her music when her computer pings again. She walks over to it and it’s the same person again. This time, they say: ‘cOmE oUt CoMe OuT wHeReVeR yOu ArE.’)

(Peyton doesn’t respond and her phone starts ringing. She takes a moment to gather herself before answering it.)

PEYTON: Hello?

PEYTON: Who is this?

ELLIE: It’s Ellie.

PEYTON: Where’d you get this number?

ELLIE: Well, I-

PEYTON: Leave me alone and don’t call me(!) (She hangs up and puts the phone back on its stand.)

(She just stares off into nothing.)

CUT TO:

(Deb takes flowers out of a pot. She tips it and shakes out some pills.)

NATHAN: (o.s) Mom?

(Deb quickly sets the pot right and puts the flowers back in.)

DEB: Nate.

NATHAN: (Appears) What’s going on? You sounded freaked out on the phone.

DEB: We’re gonna have to stay here for a while.

NATHAN: What happened?

DEB: Nathan, I’m so sorry. It’s just… your father has done some things.

NATHAN: (Tensely) What things(!)?

DEB: Nothing that concerns you. (Pause) But Lucas found something.

NATHAN: (Looks away.) Lucas.

DEB: He was trying to help us. But it-it doesn’t matter now. What does matter is that you remember I love you… and I always will.

NATHAN: (Sadly) We were gonna get out.

DEB: And we still are, OK? I promise you. (She walks to him.) But,… for now, that has to be our secret.

(She takes his hand.)

DEB: I want you to go to High Flyers.

NATHAN: (Not even considering.) Forget it(!) I’m not leaving you here alone with Dan(!)

DEB: Nathan, I’ll be fine(!) (Nathan shakes his head.) You go to that camp and don’t look back for a second, do you understand me?

NATHAN: (Scowling) …It has to end.

DEB: (Nods) Yes,… it does.

(Nathan turns and exits the room. Deb reaches down into her back pocket and takes out the pills. She looks at them.)

CUT TO:

[INT. TREE HILL HIGH SCHOOL – WHITEY’S OFFICE – DAY]

(Dan walks into the office, not knocking, as always.)

WHITEY: Ah, here we go again. (Takes his glasses off.)

DAN: Oh, don’t mind me; I just need your measurements.

WHITEY: Alright, I’ll play along; my measurements for what?

DAN: For the pine box they’re gonna put you in. (Pause) I’m about to bury you, Whitey.

(Whitey stands up angrily; he doesn’t take crap from anyone, especially not Dan.)

DAN: You crossed the line, Whitey; talking to Deb, meddling with Nathan. (Pause) You know, I occupy a seat on the school board; I think we’re gonna make some changes next season.

WHITEY: Don’t you thr*aten me!

DAN: Oh, it’s not a thr*at! You’ve got some health concerns, don’t you? Bad eyes and all; that coupled with the first round playoff loss.

WHITEY: WHICH YOU COACHED!

DAN: BECAUSE YOU WERE ILL! (Pause) You know, it’s a shame you never won the state title, Whitey, (Shakes his head.) because as far as I’m concerned,… you’re never gonna coach again(!)

WHITEY: You better be careful, son. (Pause) You mess with my livelihood, I’ll mess with yours.

DAN: (Sneers as he leans in close.) Speaking of threats.

WHITEY: You know, most people… (Leans in too.) when they go they leave the world a lesser place, but not you. No, the world won’t even blink(!)

DAN: Well, you’d know, wouldn’t you, Whitey? (Blinks repeatedly.)

WHITEY: You’re playing with fire, Danny,… and you are about to get b*rned(!)

DAN: Bring it on, old man.

(Whitey glares at him. Dan straightens and walks out slowly. Whitey bangs the table with his fist.)

CUT TO:

[EXT. ROE RESIDENCE – STREET – DAY]

(There is a yellow cab waiting to take Karen to the airport. She walks down the front steps with Lucas. The driver opens the boot.)

KAREN: OK, I’ve spoken with Deb so she’s gonna look after things. And all my numbers are near the phone. Oh, and if Keith calls-

LUCAS: (Holds up a hand.) Mom,… (Grins) go.

KAREN: (Smiles) If you need anything,… well I’ll only be… half a world away(!)

(Lucas laughs before hugging her.)

LUCAS: (Sincerely) Go find happiness, mom. (Smiles) I love you.

(Karen lets go of him.)

KAREN: (Nodding) I love you, too. (Sighs and walks to the cab.)

(Lucas watches her with his hands in his pockets. She gets in and waves at him. He smiles at her.)

CUT TO:

(Deb sets the glass of water down and waits for a moment before lying back on the couch. A few candles are burning and Deb looks up at the ceiling before closing her eyes.)

FADE TO:

(Brooke is packing her clothes away, still. She pulls out her cheerleader outfit and looks at it, a slight frown on her face. She smiles as she examines it closely. After a b*at, she folds it back up and packs it.)

FADE TO:

(Close-up of the computer before the camera pans right to Peyton who is sitting in front of it. She’s thinking before turning to her drawing of the two hands wearing wedding rings. She looks at it closely.)

GRAPHIC MATCH TO:

(The camera focuses on the same picture stuck up on the wall in Nathan’s apartment. Nathan walks past the wall with determination, and to the front door. He opens it and stops to examine the apartment one last time, including the picture, before he closes the door and leaves that life behind him.)

(He looks ahead with a small amount of sadness before pushing himself on.)

FADE TO:

[INT. CAB – THE ROAD – DAY]

(Karen is in the cab, on her way to the airport. She’s on the phone.)

KAREN: Oh, he still hasn’t checked in? (Pause) Oh-no, no message, thank you.

(She shuts the phone, thinking.)

(The cab passes Dan Scott Motors.)

CUT TO:

(Close-up of single malt scotch whiskey and an envelope with Dan’s name printed across the front, on the desk. Dan drops his keys and picks up the envelope. He pulls up the card, reading it and smiling. He drops it back onto the desk.)

CUT TO:

[INT. ROE RESIDENCE – ATTIC – DAY]

(Nathan is going through things he has no right to; opening drawers and sifting through boxes.)

(Lucas walks up into the room.)

LUCAS: What’s going on?

NATHAN: (Flipping through a book.) Where is it?

LUCAS: … Where’s what?

NATHAN: Whatever it is you have on my dad, where is it?

LUCAS: Nathan, look.

NATHAN: Lucas, you said you were done!

(Lucas sighs and looks down.)

(Nathan gets it and goes through Lucas’ bag.)

LUCAS: N-Nate, you don’t wanna do that!

(Nathan grabs the annulment papers in the envelope and takes it out. He doesn’t realise what it is as he pulls the papers out.)

LUCAS: (Desolately) I wanted to tell you,… Nate.

(Nathan drops his hand to his side and scoffs.)

LUCAS: I was just… waiting for the right time.

NATHAN: You went to see her. (Pause) You’re just full of lies, aren’t you? (st*lks past him.)

LUCAS: Nathan!

NATHAN: You don’t wanna push this right now, Lucas! Trust me!

(Nathan walks down the steps and exits. Lucas doesn’t move.)

FADE TO:

(Dan is sitting in his office when Lucas comes to the door.)

DAN: (Not looking at him.) So the prodigal son returns.

(Lucas enters.)

DAN: You looking for this? (Holds up the ledger.)

(Lucas looks at it, not saying a word.)

DAN: Or, maybe, (Stands) you’re looking for this.

(He grabs a bag and throws it at Lucas. Lucas looks down and sees money sticking out of it.)

DAN: Go on, take a closer look.

(Lucas eyes him before bending down and picking the bag up. He takes out one wad of cash and flicks through it, they are blank.)

DAN: How stupid do you think I’d be? (Lucas throws the bag on the floor and the ‘money’ along with it.) Who keeps money in the ceiling?(!) Or a ledger of their criminal activities? Uses jersey numbers as a combination. (Smirks) Although you did figure that out so you’re not entirely dense(!)

LUCAS: (Squints) Why?

DAN: Why? To test your loyalty, Lucas. (Pause) You know what the shame is? (Pause) I would have given you the world, son. (Pause) I would have welcomed you in with open arms.

(Lucas just sneers, not caring because Dan manages to ruin every life that touches him.)

DAN: But you failed the test. (Pause) And for that, you get nothing(!) For that, you are nothing.

LUCAS: (Shakes his head at him.) So it was all a lie? The money in the ceiling, the bank account in my name.

DAN: No, the account was real. I built that since you were a boy, but that’s gone now, too. So’s your heart medication. (Lucas looks down.) The game’s over, you lose.

LUCAS: (Shakes his head and advances.) No. (Pause) You’re wrong. (Smirks) Because I can finally let you go. (Pause) I mean nothing to you? (With sincerity.) You mean nothing to me. I’m out.

(He walks to the exit.)

DAN: That’s where you’re wrong.

(Lucas stops and turns back to him slowly.)

DAN: You’ll never be out. (Goads) Son.

LUCAS: (b*at) We’ll see about that.

(Lucas exits. Dan looks down at the desk and downs the glass of whiskey with a smirk on his face.)

FADE TO BLACK:

COMMERCIAL SET:

FADE IN:

(Peyton is carrying a big bag out of the room. Apparently, she’s the only one moving anybody out of their old lives with no help from the actual people. She drops the bag with a sigh and shuts the door behind her.)

PEYTON: OK, (Points back.) that is the last bag, box or suitcase I shift this summer.

(Brooke pouts at her, sad.)

PEYTON: Your cab’s on the way.

BROOKE: (Whining) I don’t wanna go!

PEYTON: I know. (Pause) And I don’t want you to go (Hugs her and Brooke moans.) but life sucks like that(!)

(Peyton holds her at arms length.)

PEYTON: But, hey, you are going to be back in no time and then we will be seniors and oh what fun we will have then(!)

BROOKE: Like what?

PEYTON: Hmmm, like… kidnapping… and… getting married (Brooke turns away, smiling.) and… burning letters from guys before we read them. (Smiles) Speaking of, where is our boyfriend?

BROOKE: I don’t know. I guess he’s not even coming to say goodbye to me. (Brushes it off.) Suppose it’s a test… for the new me.

PEYTON: I’m sure he will be here. (Pause) I, on the other hand, will not.

BROOKE: (Confused) What(!)?

PEYTON: I promised Karen I wouldn’t sleep on TRIC and I’ve gotta return the keys to Deb. (Brooke frowns.) I’m sorry.

(Brooke whines.)

PEYTON: I’m gonna miss you, Brooke Penelope Davis(!)

(Peyton hugs her again.)

BROOKE: I’m gonna miss you, Peyton Elizabeth Sawyer. (They let go.) Hoes over Bros?

PEYTON: (Nods) Um-hm. Buds over Studs.

(They laugh and hug again.)

CUT TO:

[EXT. THE RIVERCOURT – BENCHES – DAY]

(Lucas is sitting on the benches, thinking. He has a basketball next to him.)

LUCAS: I thought you weren’t talking to me.

(Nathan walks into the sh*t.)

NATHAN: I’m not. (Comes to a stop.) I’m going to High Flyers.

LUCAS: (Pleased) Nate, that’s great(!) (Holds out his fist.)

NATHAN: (Looks at it.) When I get back,… al this brother stuff is over.

LUCAS: (Lowers his arm.) What?

NATHAN: You lied to me, Lucas; about my dad… and about going to see Haley. I’ve got enough of that in my life.

LUCAS: Nathan, I was trying to help.

NATHAN: Yeah, well you can stop that now. (Pause) All I need you to do for me is knock down sh*ts next year, that’s it.

(Lucas is dumbfounded.)

NATHAN: We’re not brothers. (Pause) We’re not even friends.

(Nathan turns and walks away. Lucas is completely alone again, like it was at the beginning only now he doesn’t even have Haley with him. It is a complete contrast to the end of last season. Lucas considers it all.)

FADE TO:

(The room is bare and Brooke is sitting on the bed in an empty house.)

BROOKE: Well,… (Exhales) I’ll see ya, Brooke. Have a nice summer. Oh, thanks, everybody(!) (Scoffs)

LUCAS: (o.s) Talking to yourself?

(The camera pans to the door. Lucas is standing there.)

BROOKE: (Turns to him.) What, is your… summer job driving a cab?

(Lucas shuts the door.)

LUCAS: I put your stuff in the car.

(She shrugs sadly.)

BROOKE: So I guess this is goodbye?

(Lucas doesn’t answer. He holds out his arm and Brooke stands, hugging him. Her smile turns sad. He lets go and she steps back, smiling sadly. There’s a b*at before Lucas pulls her forward and kisses her.)

(They break apart and Brooke stares at him; open mouthed and disbelieving.)

BROOKE: Tell me that was a goodbye kiss.

LUCAS: … I wanna be with you, Brooke.

BROOKE: (Takes a step back.) What?

LUCAS: I’m sorry. I know we’re friends… it’s just how I feel.

BROOKE: (Tears in her eyes.) What about Peyton’s stuff?

LUCAS: I keep that stuff as a reminder of how badly I screwed up things. (Pause) With you. To remind myself, if I ever get a second chance,… I’d never let you go again. (He looks at her steadily.)

(Brooke’s speechless.)

BROOKE: I don’t know what to say. (Pause) I, um,…

(The cab driver horns for her to hurry up. She looks to the side, where the door is located.)

(Lucas is desperate for an answer. More tears gather in Brooke’s eyes and she nods.)

BROOKE: (Whispering) I gotta go.

(She walks past him slowly.)

LUCAS: (Turning) Brooke? (She turns.) You think… you could ever-

BROOKE: Lucas,… (Holds up her hand.) I’m sorry.

(She sniffs.)

BROOKE: I,… I gotta go.

(She opens the door.)

BROOKE: (Despairingly) Bye(!)

(She walks out.)

LUCAS: (To himself, sadly.) Have a nice summer, Brooke.

FADE TO:

[INT. DAN SCOTT MOTORS – DN’S OFFICE – EVENING]

(A lock clicks and the safe door opens. Dan puts the ledger back inside and smirks before closing the door. He walks to the desk and pours himself some more of the whiskey.)

(He sits and drinks from the glass.)

FADE TO:

[INT. THE CAB - THE ROAD – EVENING]

(Brooke is sitting in the back and crying.)

FADE TO:

[INT. ROE RESIDENCE – LUCAS’ ROOM – EVNING]

(Close-up of Lucas’ pill bottle. He opens it and tips it out onto his palm. There is one left. He taps it but nothing else comes out. He looks up worriedly with a severe frown.)

FADE TO:

[INT. SAWYER RESIDENCE – PEYTON’S BEDRROM – EVENING]

(The camera pans across Peyton’s wall and to her bed where she’s lying. Her doorbell rings and Peyton’s instantly worried. It’s too late at night and none of her friends ever ring the bell.)

(She gets off the bed, rushes down the stairs and goes straight to the front door. She opens it and Ellie is standing there.)

ELLIE: I know it’s late. I-I-

PEYTON: You’re right,… it is late. (Pause) As a matter of fact, it’s half past the crazy bitch so leave me alone! (Tries to shut the door.)

ELLIE: Peyton, (Stops the door from shutting in her face.) I can explain.

PEYTON: Explain what!? That you’re a stalker,… or that you’re insane and you’ve been sending me creepy e-mails?!

ELLIE: I didn’t send you anything.

PEYTON: Yeah, right(!) I called your supposed magazine; they’ve never even heard of you.

ELLIE: (Pauses for a long time.) My name is Elizabeth.

PEYTON: (Not caring.) Great, so even your name is a lie.

ELIZABETH: Like your middle name: Elizabeth. (Pause) It’s where you got your middle name.

(Peyton is too shocked for words… for a little while.)

PEYTON: Who are you?

ELIZABETH

: (Pause) I’m your mother.

(Peyton raises her eyebrows at her, confused and disbelieving.)

CUT TO:

[INT. DAN SCOTT MOTORS – DAN’S OFFICE – EVENING]

(Dan is still drinking the whiskey by himself. Suddenly, he realises that something’s wrong. He blinks and then looks at the neck of the bottle, frowning. He touches it and looks at his finger; there’s white residue there. It occurs to him that he’s been drugged.)

(He looks down at the card which says; ‘For everything you’ve done.’ There’s no name. This in itself should have made him suspicious as he has never done anything nice for anyone in his life – ever.)

(His vision blurs and his movements become jerky. He hits the bottle and it falls to the floor; smashing and spilling alcohol everywhere. He gasps and looks up as somebody else enters the room. He stares at the person but the only thing visible is a shoulder in a black top.)

(Dan looks at the person as if he’s been betrayed. The camera closes in on a gloved hand as a lighter is flicked on and the flame leaps to life.)

(Dan loosens his tie as he sweats, but has no way of escape. The lighter is thrown onto the alcohol and flames immediately spread everywhere. Dan passes out. The flames climb up the cupboard.)

FADE TO:

[EXT. SCOTT RESIDENCE (EST) – EVENING]

CUT TO:

[INT. SCOTT RESIDENCE – FRONT DOOR – EVENING]

(Nathan shuts the door behind himself, laden down with his belongings. He is wearing a black t-shirt.)

(He sets his things down and looks up.)

DEB: Oh, Nathan, I was hoping that was you. (Rushes to him.) I’ve been here, alone, all night(!)

NATHAN: I had,… something to do. (Sighs)

DEB: (b*at) Oh, honey. (Hugs him) I know this is hard for you but, I promise you, we’ll be free soon.

NATHAN: (Thinking) I know we will.

(Deb touches his face and Nathan smiles.)

DEB: Do you need help with anything?

NATHAN: No, I just… I have one more bag in the car.

DEB: (Nods) OK. (She touches his arm and walks away.)

(Nathan sighs and opens the door again. His expression freezes as he sees Haley standing there – not in a black top – with tears in her eyes.)

HALEY: (Sadly) Hi.

(Nathan doesn’t say anything as Haley waits.)

(Pan up to the roof of the house as Deb watches them from her window.)

FADE TO:

[EXT. THE BEACH – EVENING]

(Lucas sits next to Peyton on the beach. Neither says anything for a long while.)

LUCAS: Looks like it’s just you and me this summer.

(Peyton looks at him and nods sadly before hugging him.)

FADE IN:

[INT. DAN SCOTT MOTORS – DAN’S OFFICE – EVENING]

(sh*t of Dan’s framed basketball jersey as the room continues to burn.)

LUCAS: (v.o) Tennessee Williams once wrote: ‘We all live in a house of fire.-

(Pan right to a framed picture of Deb, Nathan and Dan; taken after Nathan won a trophy.)

LUCAS: (v.o) -No fire department to call.-

(All of the shelves are on fire and Dan is still passed out inside.)

LUCAS: (v.o) -No way out. (Pause) Just the upstairs window to look out of-

(The camera pans to Dan who is still lying there but unharmed as of yet.)

LUCAS: (v.o) -while the fire burns the house down… with us trapped, locked in it.’

(The camera backs into the window with Dan in-between it and the fire. There’s a b*at before the fire explodes, engulfing Dan and reaching the blinds of the window.)

FADE TO BLACK:

END CREDITS ROLL: