03x08 - The Worst Day Since Yesterday

Episode transcripts for the TV show "One Tree Hill". Aired September 2003 - April 2012.*

Moderator: UsuallyAlly

Watch/Buy Amazon  Merchandise

This series follows the eventful lives of some high-school kids in Tree Hill, a small but not too quiet town in North Carolina, where the greatest source of pride is the high school basketball team, the Ravens.

03x08 - The Worst Day Since Yesterday

Post by bunniefuu »

FADE IN:

LUCAS: (v.o) Previously on One Tree Hill.

[INT. ROE RESIDENCE – LUCAS’ BEDROOM – EVENING]

(Lucas tips his medicine tub and only one pill falls out – his last one. He looks up worriedly.)

CUT TO:

[INT. KAREN’S CAFÉ – COUNTER – EVENING]

(Haley walks to Lucas and talks to him quietly.)

HALEY: I went on this website that said sluggish physical performance is one of the side effects of the HCM medication. Players have collapsed and d*ed because of this! You need to tell Whitey about your heart(!)

CUT TO:

[EXT. KAREN’S CAFÉ – WINDOW – DAY]

(Karen is putting up her sign and lowers it when she sees Dan’s huge one.)

DAN: (v.o) I want you to talk some sense into your mother.

CUT TO:

[INT. TREE HILL HIGH – THE GYM – EVENING]

(Dan and Lucas are the only ones in the gym.)

DAN: Tell her to drop out of the mayor’s race.

LUCAS: You afraid of the competition?

DAN: Just talk to her – that is if you can catch your breath.

(Lucas scowls at him.)

CUT TO:

[INT. TREE HILL HIGH – GIRLS LOCKER ROOM – DAY]

(Brooke holds out her bag and each cheerleader takes a compact.)

BROOKE: Here’s how the Fantasy Boy Draft works: once you draft a guy, he is yours for the season.

CUT TO:

[EXT. TREE HILL HIGH – GROUNDS – DAY]

(Lucas frowns at Brooke. Rachel comes up behind him.)

RACHEL: She picked Chris Keller (pause) and… I picked you.

CUT TO:

[INT. DAVIS SCOTT APARTMENT – FRONT DOOR – DAY]

(The door I open to a gaping Brooke and an amused Chris.)

CHRIS: My date’s already dressed for bed. (enters) Looks like someone’s horny for a little Chris Keller.

CUT TO:

[EXT. TREE HILL HIGH – GROUNDS – DAY]

(Brooke and Haley walk together.)

BROOKE: Did I mention that my designs were a total hit with the corporate big-stuffs over at Suburban Filth?

CUT TO:

[INT. THE MALL – THE WINDOW – EVENING]

(Brooke stands at the window of Suburban Filth, looking at the mannequins wearing her clothes. She is in complete awe.)

BROOKE: (v.o) They might pick them up for a fashion line!

CUT TO:

[EXT. THE RIVERCOURT – BENCHES – EVENING]

(Rachel and Lucas are sitting at the benches.)

RACHEL: So, she’s on a date with Chris – it doesn’t mean anything.

LUCAS: It does. She’s the ‘one’.

CUT TO:

[INT. THE MALL – ARCADE GAME – EVENING]

(Brooke is pleading with Nathan.)

BROOKE: Haley still loves you. All you have to do is take her back.

NATHAN: Right, kinda like with-

CUT TO:

[INT. DAVIS SCOTT APARTMENT – BROOKE AND HALEY’S BEDROOM – EVENING]

(Brooke takes out a box from under her bed. It is full of letters she has written to Lucas over the summer.)

NATHAN: (v.o) -you and Lucas. You see? It’s-it’s not so easy getting back in the ring. Especially with the one who knocked you out in the first place.

(Close-up of a letter that Brook pulls out of the box. It has Lucas’ address on it.)

CUT TO:

[EXT. DAVIS SCOTT APARTMENT – THE BALCONY – EVENING]

(Haley and Nathan talk about their life, and music.)

HALEY: All of the celebrity and all of the applause… couldn’t fill your void in my heart.

CUT TO:

(Lucas opens Brooke’s bedroom door without knocking. She turns quickly and sees him smiling at her. Chris gets up from beside her and looks at Lucas cockily. Off Lucas’ hurt face.)

FADE TO BLACK:

END OF PREVIOUSLY ON:

OPENING CREDITS ROLL:

FADE IN:

[EXT. MARKET STREET (EST) – DAY]

(Birds-eye view of a huge sign that says: ‘GO TREE HILL RAVENS’. It is hung between two posts. People run around, excited, including the mascot.)

(Karen is by her café, hanging up her petition signs. People are way too excited for a simple basketball game.)

RANDOM PERSON: (to Karen) Great time to be a kid, huh?

(Karen smiles and nods. The soundtrack falters.)

CUT TO:

[INT. DAVIS SCOTT APARTMENT – LIVING ROOM – DAY]

(Brooke is sitting on the couch, crying. Haley and Peyton move into the sh*t from either side.)

PEYTON: Chris Keller?!

(Brooke nods.)

HALEY: And Lucas actually saw?

(She nods again.)

PEYTON: Whoa, Chris Keller, Chris Keller?

BROOKE: Stop saying his name!

(Peyton throws her head back in defeat.)

HALEY: I don’t understand what happened – when Nathan and I left, you were like, pushing him out the door.

BROOKE: I know, I know, I don’t know. We were… we were drinking and I was feeling really lonely and I was really upset (pause) my shirt made his pants feel tight.

(Peyton looks away in disgust.)

BROOKE: Oh god, I told you guys, I was-I was drinking but he said a lot of other things and… (sighs)

BROOKE: (off Haley’s sympathetic look) Haley, don’t look at me like that! You know how charming he can be!

(Haley gives her a look. In a strange act of civility, Peyton doesn’t say anything – just smiles tightly.)

HALEY: Hey, he didn’t, um,… (laughs forcefully) he didn’t… sing to you, did he?

(Peyton’s eyes widen. Haley’s smile falls at Brooke’s distressed face.)

BROOKE: (crying) Oh my god, you guys, I’m a groupie(!)

PEYTON: OK, have you talked to Lucas?

BROOKE: He won’t answer my calls… and, I mean, I’m not gonna leave a pathetic apology on his answering machine!

(Haley looks away. Brooke realises her slip-up and turns to her.)

BROOKE: I’m sorry.

HALEY: Hmm.

BROOKE: Sorry.

(Haley shakes her head, forgiving her.)

BROOKE: Lucas is never gonna talk to me again.

(There’s a knock on the door and Brooke looks up, expectantly. She rushes to the door and opens it. Chris stands there, holding donuts.)

CHRIS: Chris Keller always springs for breakfast.

(Brooke scowls at him. Peyton and Haley rush to the door.)

CHRIS: Oh, (pause) you’ve company.

(He looks down at the donuts.)

CHRIS: Well, I guess we’ll have to share.

(Brooke scoffs, grabs the donuts and Haley slams the door in his face.)

FADE TO:

[EXT. TREE HILL – STREETS – DAY]

(Lucas is listening to his iPod and jogging. He slowly stops outside his house and looks at his bedroom door. It’s red, from when he painted it to resemble Brook’s last year. He turns away from it before walking to the door.)

FADE TO:

[EXT. THE RIVERWALK – DAY]

(Brooke and Peyton are walking.)

BROOKE: Why are you making me walk?

PEYTON: You need to clear you head. Leave the scene of the crime.

(Brooke scoffs.)

PEYTON: Besides, we have less of a chance of Chris Keller finding us if we’re moving targets.

(Brooke mopes and Peyton laughs.)

PEYTON: OK, come on. I know you think I’m not trying to help but I am. OK? I just… I don’t know what to say! (Brooke looks at her) I haven’t exactly been miss sunshine for the past seventeen years – you’ve always been the silver lining girl.

BROOKE: That was before it was raining men in my apartment. I really, really messed up, Peyton.

PEYTON: Brooke, you made a mistake, OK, we all make them.

BROOKE: Not like this! OK, Lucas told me he wanted to be with me. It couldn’t be easier than that.

PEYTON: Alright, honey, I don’t know why you’re being so hard on yourself. OK, it’s not like you cheated on the guy. You guys aren’t even officially dating.

BROOKE: Yeah, another brilliant idea from yours truly. (leans on the railing)

PEYTON: Brooke, it’s done, OK? You can’t change it but you can fix it. (pause) So just go and talk to him. He might be more understanding than you think. You know, he’s not exactly a stranger to mistakes.

BROOKE: I can’t talk to him, Peyton.

(Peyton looks away defeatedly.)

BROOKE: (tentatively) But maybe you would.

PEYTON: (raises eyebrows) Me?

BROOKE: You’re good with words… and pain and Lucas.

(Peyton frowns.)

BROOKE: Please, Peyton.

PEYTON: (shrugs) Fine, I’ll talk to him.

BROOKE: Thank you. (hugs her) I love you.

PEYTON: Yeah, yeah, no promises, OK, and u know what? In the meantime, keep yourself busy (Brooke nods) don’t sit around and feel sorry for yourself, OK?

BROOKE: Deal.

(Peyton grins.)

BROOKE: I’m gonna go by Suburban Filth, anyway. I mean, at least I have my clothes.

PEYTON: (without thinking) I bet you wish you coulda said that last night, huh? (grins and slaps Brooke’s arm)

(Brooke looks at her steadily.)

PEYTON: (smile drops) Too soon?

BROOKE: (almost inaudible) Just a little.

PEYTON: (nods) Sorry.

(Peyton puts her arm around Brooke and pulls her away.)

FADE TO:

[INT. RECORDING STUDIO – RECORDING ROOM – DAY]

(Close-up of the deck as the wheels turn. Pan to Chris sitting at the controls, just watching. He fiddles around a bit. The door opens and Nathan enters.)

CHRIS: (stands) What, you’re here to kick my ass coz I slept with Brooke?

NATHAN: (shocked) You slept with Brooke?

CHRIS: Why else would you be here?

NATHAN: I came to pay for Haley’s studio time. (still reeling) You slept with Brooke?! (walks forward)

CHRIS: I like to think of it as sleeping… without the sleep.

(Nathan scoffs.)

CHRIS: But yeah; until Lucas-interruptus walked in.

NATHAN: You gonna keep doing this evil crap your entire life?

CHRIS: What’s so evil about it? Two kids having fun. It’s cool.

NATHAN: No, it’s not cool if other people’s feelings are involved.

CHRIS: (grinning) Nah, it’s still pretty cool.

NATHAN: Like when you were messing with Haley kinda cool?

CHRIS: No, come on, see, that’s different – Brooke’s not Haley. Plus, you don’t even like Lucas, do you?

NATHAN: It’s not about Lucas, it’s about you! (pause) You went outta your way to take advantage of a girl who obviously has feelings for somebody else… again.

CHRIS: I didn’t go that far outta my way. Besides, how do you think I feel?

(Nathan looks back at him.)

CHRIS: I broke my cardinal rule about sleeping with cheerleaders. I don’t… unless there’s at least three of em.

(Nathan’s poker face remains in place.)

CHRIS: (taps him on the chest) I’m kidding, and don’t worry about Brooke, she’s not even my type. (pause) I like singers. (smirks at Nathan)

(Nathan shoves Chris hard. Chris falls hard, knocking things over as he goes. Nathan laughs at him.)

NATHAN: I like to think of that as hitting you (pause as Chris scowls at him) without the hitting.

(Nathan shakes his head, turns around and exits. Chris struggles.)

CHRIS: You didn’t even give me my money!

FADE TO:

[INT. WXTFI 101.7 – RADIO STATION – DAY]

(Karen is sitting in the booth with the announcer.)

RADIO ANNOUNCER: Alright, it’s morning on the Hill and we’re talking local politics. Our guest today is mayoral candidate; Karen Roe. Hello, Karen and thanks for being here. Tell us about yourself.

KAREN: Sure, um,… I was born and raised in Tree Hill, where I have two local businesses. (pause) I went to school at tree Hill High and I have a son who’s about to graduate from there as well.

RADIO ANNOUNCER: Well, great. Now tell our voters why they should vote for you over your opponent, Dan Scott.

KAREN: Because… this town and the people here matter to me. Yeah, I find that some people … care more about being a leader than they do about the people they’re leading (pause) and I’m a big fan of the Tree Hill Ravens. Go Ravens! Woot!

(The announcer laughs.)

RADIO ANNOUNCER: Alright, let’s take some calls. Our first caller is Keith. He’s a… unemployed mechanic (Karen’s smile falls) from Tree Hill. Keith, hello and you’re on the air.

DAN: (through the phone) Uh, yes. I have a question for Mrs. Roe.

(Karen recognises the voice and looks away, rolling her eyes.)

DAN: (through the phone) I’m sorry, I meant Miss. Roe. That’s right, you’re not married.

CUT TO:

[INT. SCOTT RESIDENCE – KITCHEN – DAY]

(Close-up of Dan’s mouth as he talks into the phone.)

DAN: What d’ya think about the fact that your business partner is supporting your opponent?

CUT TO:

(Karen grins.)

KAREN: Yes, uh, that is true. Ironically, my business partner is married to my opponent… so I will have to forgive her her misplaced vote-

CUT TO:

(The camera travels up Dan’s face as he listens to her.)

KAREN: (through the phone) -and her lack of taste. Luckily, she has a better head for-

CUT TO:

(Karen is still grinning.)

KAREN: -business than she does for relationships.

(The announcer laughs.)

DAN: (through the phone) Speaking of relationships,-

CUT TO:

(Close-up of Dan’s mouth again.)

DAN: -didn’t you have a child out of wedlock?

CUT TO:

KAREN: (pause) Right, well, I like to think of it as a single parent who is raising her child to be a responsible man, (glowers) unlike the boy who fathered him.

CUT TO:

(Close-up of Dan’s eyes as he’s stumped.)

CUT TO:

RADIO ANNOUNCER: Well said. Alright, let’s move on.

(Karen looks on, satisfied.)

CUT TO:

(Dan hangs up the phone. Pan to show Deb standing in the doorway.)

DEB: (annoyed) What’re you, eight years old?

DAN: Oh, right, this coming from a woman who cut the ass out of all my pants.

DEB: (walks into the kitchen) Too bad the one in my life won’t go away.

DAN: (uncaringly) Good one, Deb. But, before you start getting all high-and-mighty, or in your case, just high, (pause)

(Deb opens the fridge and takes out a bottle of water.)

DAN: Maybe you should think about the deal we made. You’re supposed to be supporting me in public.

(He stands and turns as she pauses at the doorway.)

DAN: You wouldn’t want me going against our little bargain, would you?

DEB: (turns to him) What could you possibly do to me that you haven’t already done?

(On cue, the door opens and Nathan enters. He looks at them but continues up the stairs. Dan walks to her.)

DAN: Who said anything about you?

(Deb looks away as Dan walks up the stairs.)

CUT TO:

[INT. SCOTT RESIDENCE – NATHAN’S BEDROOM – DAY]

(Nathan’s door opens and he walks in. Dan is close behind.)

DAN: Hey,… just wanted to see how the star player was doing the day before his first game.

(Nathan sighs, shakes his head and keeps his back to Dan.)

DAN: Like a rock, atta boy. (pause) Well, Bear Creek is weak this year, lotta scouts will be there, though. How’s the knee?

(Nathan finally turns.)

NATHAN: Like a rock.

DAN: …good. Anything else bugging you?

NATHAN: Just you.

DAN: I shoulda seen that one coming.

(Deb stops in the doorway. Dan turns to looks at her.)

NATHAN: (to Dan’s back) Yeah.

(Dan walks out and Nathan sits on his bed. Deb walks in.)

NATHAN: This doesn’t feel like we’re getting out, mom. (pause) It feels more like we’re staying.

(Deb doesn’t reply.)

FADE TO:

[INT. THE MALL – SUBURBAN FILTH – DAY]

(Close-up of a mannequin’s ass. It’s wearing pants with pinks letters that spell out: ‘FILTH’. Pan left to Brooke who stands at the window and smiles. The manager sees Brooke and waves. Brooke smiles widely and enters.)

MANAGER: Brooke, you’ve got a real eye for fashion. Your designs are gonna be a hit(!)

BROOKE: (giddy) That is… so great. You have no idea how much I needed good news. So, so, I mean, wh-what, what do I do from here?

MANAGER: Well, I think you’re scheduled for the afternoon shift tomorrow.

BROOKE: (grinning) No, I mean what’s next with my clothes! When do I get paid? How much do I get paid and… and do I need to, like, design my own label or put together a hot fashion show or-

MANAGER: Brooke, I thought you understood; since you work for the company, any designs and profits that you made for the store belong to the store.

(Brooke gapes, uncomprehending.)

MANAGER: You signed a waiver when you took the job.

BROOKE: … That doesn’t mean I read it.

(The manager laughs.)

BROOKE: This is not fair! These are my designs! (picks up a red top) I mean, they’re mine! I get squat?!

MANAGER: No, you get the satisfaction of having designed something exclusively for Suburban Filth, and of course, your ten percent employee discount.

(Brooke glares for a b*at before turning, throwing the top behind her and walking out.)

FADE TO:

[EXT. ROE RESIDENCE – LUCAS’ DOOR – DAY]

(Pan across to Lucas at his back door, painting black over the red.)

PEYTON: (walks up the steps) Painting while angry? That’s original.

LUCAS: (cattily) Like cutting your hair.

(Peyton’s amused. Lucas laughs nastily.)

PEYTON: I’m guessing you don’t wanna talk about it.

LUCAS: (b*at) Good guess.

PEYTON: Well, for what it’s worth, Brooke feels awful.

LUCAS: To be honest with you, Peyton, right now… that’s not worth too much. (continues painting)

(Peyton looks away.)

PEYTON: OK, I know you’re upset.

LUCAS: No, (turns to her) not really. (pause) I’m more… disappointed… than I am upset. (goes back to painting)

PEYTON: Luke, Brooke made a mistake, OK? Kinda like we did and she forgave us.

LUCAS: Yeah, well she has a really funny way of showing it. (pause) But, you know what? She made it perfectly clear that we were non-exclusive. I made the mistake of thinking we were meant to be with each other. (pause) I won’t make that mistake again.

(Lucas finishes painting the door black.)

FADE TO BLACK:

COMMERCIAL SET:

FADE IN:

[INT. TREE HILL HIGH – CLASSROOM – DAY]

(The Basketball team and the cheerleaders are all sat in a classroom. Whitey stands at the board. He has drawn up plans for their first basketball match. Tim leans over to talk to Nathan.)

TIM: Hey, dude, (Nathan turns to him) did you hear? A bunch of the guys on the team are gonna get tattoos after school.

NATHAN: (confused) Since when? I thought we were just shaving our heads.

TIM: Well, yeah,… well you’re the first to hear about it but… it was my idea.

(Nathan scoffs.)

TIM: It’s pretty dope, huh?

NATHAN: It’s stupid.

TIM: (laughing) Hell yeah, it is(!) (puts his hand up) It’s crazy stupid!

(Tim holds his hand there, expecting Nathan to slap it.)

WHITEY: Got a question, Smith?

(Tim looks for a b*at before lowering his hand and turning back to his seat. Nathan follows suit.)

(Lucas turns to Peyton.)

LUCAS: (whispering) Hey?

(Peyton looks at him.)

LUCAS: I thought about it… and you’re right; (Peyton raises her eyebrows) I’m gonna talk to Brooke.

(Peyton nods and smiles. He smiles back.)

LUCAS: (looking at the empty seat beside him) Hey, Brooke.

PEYTON: OK, you know what? She has never missed a game day so she must be in pretty bad shape. You know, she won’t be allowed to cheer in the game tonight.

LUCAS: (snarkily) Nothing really to cheer about, anyway.

(Peyton squints at him and he turns back.)

BEVIN: Oh! (she raises her hand) Oh, old coach guy!

(Whitey turns around slowly.)

WHITEY: Coach Durham, and shhhh!

BEVIN: OK, fine, but um,…

WHITEY: But what? (crosses his arms and turns to her)

BEVIN: Well, actually, what I was gonna say was, why don’t you have Nate cut hard to the strong side, Brain and Screen away on pressure release, and that’ll free up Lucas on the wing.

WHITEY: I said, (heavily underlines the word ‘shhhh’ on the board) shhh!

(Bevin’s smile drops and she looks back down. Whitey frowns and turns to the board.)

WHITEY: Well, actually, that’s not bad.

(Bevin smiles and the bell rings. Everyone stands and gathers their things. Lucas smiles at Peyton.)

CUT TO:

[INT. TREE HILL HIGH – CORRIDOR – DAY]

(A sign is strung up at the entrance. It reads: ‘GO RAVENS CAGERS!’. Nathan and Tim exit the class.)

TIM: Dude, do not leave me hanging. Tattoo’s after school.

(Nathan laughs and Tim walks away. He stops at Haley who’s just finished decorating his locker.)

HALEY: (steps back) Whaddaya think?

(Nathan spares the locker a glance.)

NATHAN: I think it’s still weird that you’re a cheerleader.

(She laughs. He touches the plant around the stuck-on basketball hoop.)_

NATHAN: Purple flowers, huh?

HALEY: Hmmm.

NATHAN: It looks great, Haley.

HALEY: So do you?

NATHAN: (looks down at his shirt and tie) Yeah, Whitey’s new rules. (lifts the tie and inspects it) Ties on game day, run till you puke.

HALEY: Hmmm, won’t that ruin the tie?

(Nathan shrugs and Haley laughs again.)

HALEY: Alright, I’m gonna take off. I know you have to focus on the game but this was just, uh, (hold her arms out to her decoration) mandatory. You’re gonna do great tonight.

NATHAN: We’ll see.

(Haley slaps his arm before walking off. Nathan opens his locker. Lucas walks to his, which is all pink and girly. He has a pained expression as he turns his back on it.)

LUCAS: Oh, uh-uh. (covers his face)

(Nathan looks at him and the locker and smirks.)

NATHAN: (walking past) Nice locker.

(Lucas looks at him briefly. Rachel stops in front of him.)

RACHEL: Surprise. Guess who decorated your locker.

LUCAS: Let me guess; you or Tim.

RACHEL: Well, after our so-called date, I thought you might like it.

LUCAS: It’s very you.

(Peyton comes up between them.)

PEYTON: Could be worse – could say d*ke! (smiles and leaves)

(Lucas groans and all three go their separate ways. The corridor empties and Brooke appears. She looks around, making sure nobody’s there before she heads straight to her locker. She opens it and sees everything the Lucas did for her on the first day. His decorations and pictures. She looks away tearfully and slams the locker shut before rushing away.)

FADE TO:

[EXT. TREE HILL HIGH – BENCHES – DAY]

(Peyton walks to a bench where Haley’s sitting.)

PEYTON: Hey?! You seen Brooke?

(Haley’s sitting alone, eating an apple. Peyton sits beside her.)

HALEY: Hmmm, just this morning. She was late.

PEYTON: Guess late turned into never.

HALEY: (distant) What’d she skip?

PEYTON: Normally I wouldn’t think twice about it but it’s the first game day of the season. She lives for this.

(Peyton looks around, seeing if she can spot Brooke.)

HALEY: Has she talked to Lucas yet?

PEYTON: No, but we have to figure out a way to make her.

HALEY: We? You want my help now?

PEYTON: (smirks) Why so surprised? You are the resident expert on making things better after royally screwing them up.

(Haley looks at her for a b*at before turning away, disgusted.)

PEYTON: (unconvincingly) That was a joke.

(Haley’s look says it all – she doesn’t believe her.)

PEYTON: Any ideas?

(Haley sighs and thinks.)

HALEY: Yeah, there might be one thing.

(Peyton’s interested.)

CUT TO:

(Dan and Deb are now in the radio station with the same announcer.)

RADIO ANNOUNCER: For anyone just tuning in, mayoral candidate, Dan Scott is here with his lovely wife, Deb. Good to see you.

(Deb nods.)

RADIO ANNOUNCER: Thanks for joining us. Maybe you’d like to, uh, tell our listeners a little about yourselves.

DAN: (gloating) Well, I think most people in Tree Hill remember me from my days in basketball. Either that or driving around in their cars courtesy of Dan Scott Motors.

(Deb looks away. She can’t believe his gall.)

DAN: But my platform is simple, Dave. Family values. It all starts at home – with good parenting; loving relationships. (looks at Deb) Deb, sweetie, is there anything you would, uh, you’d like to add?

(Dan passes over a piece of paper for her to read from. Deb looks at it before gaping at the announcer. Dan winks at him. The announcer has no idea what’s going on.)

DEB: Um,… (reads emotionlessly) Dan is everything to me. I trust him with my heart, I trust him with my son?

DAN: Right.

DEB: And I definitely tr- (can’t help laughing) trust him with this town.

(The announcer gives Dan a look. Dan looks down.)

DEB: (fake voice) There is no better candidate for mayor(!) (drops the paper)

CUT TO:

[INT. ROE RESIDENCE – LIVING ROOM – DAY]

(sh*t of the end table which has a framed picture of Lucas as a boy and a radio on it. Campaign posters are lying everywhere. The camera slowly zooms out.)

DAN: (through the radio) Wow, that was beautiful, Deb. I think I’m gonna cry.

KAREN: (annoyed) Me too.

RADIO ANNOUNCER: (through the radio) Let’s see if we can get-

(Karen switches the radio off. The door opens and shuts off-screen. Lucas walks to the couch, lifts the cushion and dumps himself onto it.)

KAREN: (gasps) Is that Lucas Scott, star player of the Tree Hill Ravens?

(Lucas hugs the cushion and doesn’t look at her.)

LUCAS: No, how bout, Lucas Scott, star chump of the Tree Hill cheerleaders?

KAREN: You wanna talk about it?

LUCAS: Not much to talk about. The girl that I thought was the one for me went out of her way to prove that she wasn’t.

KAREN: The girl being Brooke Davis?

LUCAS: Am I that obvious?

KAREN: About as obvious as a black door on the side of my house.

LUCAS: Sorry about that.

KAREN: (b*at) Oh, Lucas. Look, it’s her loss. There are a ton of girls out there that would be lucky to have you.

LUCAS: I’ll make sure to tell those girls my mom said so.

KAREN: I’m serious. You know, a customer once told me that the best way to get over someone was to get under someone else.

(She licks the seal of the envelope she’s holding. She stops when she realises what she’s just said.)

KAREN: Oh my god! I just realised what that meant! (gasps and puts a hand to her mouth) Ooooooh my god. I… thought it was more philosophical. You know, get to know them, don’t get under them.

LUCAS: (disturbed) Mom!

KAREN: Ahh, scratch that.

(She looks at him and Lucas looks down. Karen moves over to him and pats his arm.)

KAREN: I, I know that you’re going through a rough time,… but you have the game tonight and basketball always makes you feel better.

(Lucas looks at her.)

KAREN: Well, that and cake.

LUCAS: That was when it was fun.

KAREN: Don’t let your heart… get in the way of the one thing you love most. (pause) just do your best.

CUT TO:

[INT. DAVIS SCOTT APARTMENT – KITCHEN – DAY]

(Close-up of a partly eaten toffee cake. Brooke is sitting at the counter and eating it. There’s a knock on the door and it opens. Haley and Peyton enter. They stop when they see what Brooke’s doing.)

PEYTON: (semi seriously) It’s gonna be OK, just… just step away from the cake.

(Haley laughs.)

PEYTON: (amused) You have too much to live for.

BROOKE: (mouth full) Like what?

HALEY: We missed you at school today.

(Peyton and Brooke sit together on the opposite side of the counter.)

BROOKE: Couldn’t handle it. (pause) You guys, how am I gonna face Lucas if I can’t even face the locker he decorated for me?

PEYTON: Oh, just tell him how you really feel, Brooke! Nobody in this town deals with their problems head-on.

BROOKE: And why would he care?

HALEY: Because he cares about you, Brooke, but all he ever hears about is being non-exclusive and all he ever sees is boys on your wall and in your bed and… (smiles kindly) that’s not how you spent your summer, Brooke.

PEYTON: The real way you spent it is locked away under your bed.

(Brooke looks at Peyton briefly.)

PEYTON: In the letters you wrote to Lucas.

BROOKE: (to Haley) You told her about my letters?

PEYTON: I can’t believe you didn’t tell me.

BROOKE: I didn’t tell her (points to Haley) she Winona Ryder’ed them out from under the bed. (glares at Haley)

PEYTON: OK, alright, not the point. The point is, you need to stop hiding. Just… talk to Lucas.

(Brooke scowls, takes some cream off the cake and licks her finger.)

FADE TO:

[EXT. THE RIVERCOURT – DUSK]

(Lucas is on the court by himself, still in his shirt and tie. He gets the ball through the hoop. Dan walks onto the court, clapping.)

DAN: Wow, you know, you’re really good when you play against, uh,… (looks around) nobody.

(Lucas smiles humourlessly and walks away.)

DAN: Whoa, where’s the fire?

LUCAS: (turns back angrily and quickly approaches) What d’ya want, huh?!

DAN: How bout a quick game of one-on-one? (holds his hands out)

LUCAS: Yeah, I’ll pass.

DAN: Good answer.

(Lucas looks away.)

DAN: And that’s exactly what I want you to do tonight – pass the ball… to Nathan.

LUCAS: (b*at) Mental note: Nathan’s daddy wants me to pass it to him. (rolls his eyes) Yeah(!) (turns and walks away again)

DAN: How’s the heart?

(Lucas pauses and turns around again.)

DAN: Medication slowing you down?

LUCAS: Don’t worry about it.

DAN: Is that what you told Whitey?

(Lucas’ evasive looks speaks volumes.)

DAN: Oh,… you haven’t told him, yet. I can see why; (pause) if he knew that one of his players could drop dead at any minute, he wouldn’t let him play. (stops at Lucas) Well, I can’t see any reason why he’d need to know… as long as you do what I tell you. Pass the ball (smirks) to Nathan.

(Dan walks away. Lucas waits for a b*at but the anger wins and he throws the ball at the hoop. It hits the board hard.)

DAN: (turns back) Oh, missed again!

(Dan grins and exits. Lucas fumes.)

FADE TO BLACK:
COMMERCIAL SET:

FADE IN:

[EXT. SCOTT RESIDENCE – FRONT DOOR – DAY]

(Chris is standing outside Nathan’s house. He knocks and waits. Dan opens the door a cr*ck and sticks his head out.)

CHRIS: Hey, I’m Ch-

DAN: Chris Keller(!) No need to introduce yourself, son. Come on in. (looks around before opening the door wider)

(A red glass vase falls down and Dan just about catches.)

DAN: Oh(!) (laughs embarrassedly) Little gift for the wife.

(Chris frowns for a b*at before smiling uncertainly. Dan steps aside to let him in.)

CUT TO:

[INT. SCOTT RESIDENCE – LIVING ROOM – DAY]

(Chris is sitting in a chair, watching Dan pour some alcohol.)

DAN: You know, it’s nice to meet you. I’m practically your biggest fan.

CHRIS: You have good taste in music.

(Dan walks over with two glasses.)

DAN: Music? Uh, no. I’m a fan of how you screwed up my son’s marriage. (hands a glass over) You see, you accomplished, with one kiss, what I was trying months to do. (grins) Nice work.

CHRIS: (laughs) What can I say? I’m a good kisser.

DAN: (studies him) You remind me a lot of myself. (pause) Maybe I know your mother.

(Chris looks away and picks up a picture of Dan and Deb together on the beach.)

DAN: So, you took Nathan’s wife, now whaddaya want? And if you say mine, be my guest. (laughs)

CHRIS: Nah,… (looks at the picture) I mean, she’s definitely a MILF, (put the picture back) but for now… (puts the glass on the table and stands) I just need the five-hundred dollars Nathan owes me.

DAN: Five-hundred dollars.

(Chris smiles and shrugs.)

DAN: Well, since I’m my son’s bank, do you mind telling me what I’m paying for?

CHRIS: Haley’s studio time – Nathan’s idea. I’m helping her record again.

(Dan looks at him, annoyed.)

CHRIS: Still my biggest fan? (smirks)

DAN: I didn’t realise I was producing her next album.

CHRIS: Actually, I am… but I could see how you’d want to – it’s gonna be really good.

(Dan smiles, takes some money out of his back pocket and gives it to Chris.)

DAN: Make sure you thank me in the liner notes.

(Chris takes the money and wordlessly turns away to leave.)

DAN: (thinks for a b*at) Hey, Chris?

(Chris stops but doesn’t turn back.)

DAN: Before you go, maybe you wanna talk about making some real money.

(Chris looks around again, stoically. Dan grins evilly. Cut back to Chris’ face.)

FADE TO:

[INT. TREE HILL HIGH – LOCKER ROOM – EVENING]

(Nathan is at a bench, getting changed. Lucas walks up to his own locker and dumps his bag on a bench before turning to the locker. Nathan looks at him.)

NATHAN: Heard about what happened Saturday night.

(Lucas turns to him, exasperatedly.)

LUCAS: And?

NATHAN: (taking his tie off) And if all this stuff about Brooke is gonna make you play any worse, you should just take yourself outta the game right now.

(Nathan pulls his tie over his head.)

LUCAS: (bangs his bag down, pissed) Thanks for your concern but how bout you mind you own business.

NATHAN: The game is my business, alright? And I don’t want you screwing it up over some chick.

LUCAS: (scoffs) You’re one to talk! (steps over the bench to his brother)

NATHAN: Yeah, I am. See, my game’s gotten better, your game sucks! Fix it.

(Lucas glares at Nathan.)

LUCAS: Well, your marriage sucks – fix it!

(Lucas turns back to his locker.)

NATHAN: (b*at) I’ll tell you what; I’ll give you the same brilliant advice you gave me when Chris kissed Haley: (pause) just forgive her, man. She loves you.

(Lucas shakes his head.)

NATHAN: Doesn’t help much, does it?

(Nathan unbuttons his shirt and steps to his own locker. Lucas turns back around and bangs the locker door.)

FADE TO:

(The buzzer sounds and the Ravens’ mascot runs to the bench. Pan to Mouth at his announcer’s table.)

MOUTH: Good evening and welcome to the sold-out start of what could be the greatest season ever-

CUT TO:

[INT. DAVIS SCOTT APARTMENT – COUNTER – EVENING]

(Close-up of the laptop as it’s on the webpage for the Ravens.)

MOUTH: (v.o) for the Tree Hill Ravens.

(Brooke is watching the webcast. She listens sadly.)

MOUTH: (v.o) If you’re a fan of Ravens basketball, it’s gotta be k*lling you not to be here tonight. We’ll head to the locker room were I’ll-

CUT TO:

MOUTH: try to get a word with the players before the game.

GIGI: (grinning) And I’m gonna hide inside the locker room to get a look at them after.

MOUTH: (b*at) Gigi Silveri, ladies and gentlemen.

(He’s not sure what to make of her.)

CUT TO:

[INT. RECORDING STUDIO – RECORDING ROOM – EVENING]

(Chris is sitting in the studio. The door opens and Haley walks in, in her cheerleading uniform. She’s not smiling.)

CHRIS: Well, well. (stands)

HALEY: Shut up! (picks up her bag and walks back to the door) I can’t believe you were with Brooke.

CHRIS: Are you jealous?

(Haley gives him a look.)

CHRIS: I swear, I thought about you the whole time, Haley.

(Peyton appears on the other side of the door, in the room beyond. She stops and hears what Chris just said. She walks to the door)

HALEY: You’re a jerk, Chris!

CHRIS: Careful, that’s what Brooke said right before we hooked up.

(Peyton walks into the room and gets between Haley and Chris.)

CHRIS: Hey, what’s up, blondie?

(Peyton smiles misleadingly before slapping him hard. Chris’ head snaps back.)

CHRIS: Oh! Hmm.

(Haley gapes at Peyton, impressed. They wait for a b*at before turning to the door. The both look back once, simultaneously, glaring before exiting. Chris looks away, rubbing his cheek.)

FADE TO BLACK:

COMMERCIAL SET:

FADE IN:

[EXT. PEYTON’S CAR – EVENING]

(sh*t of Peyton’s headlights before the camera pans up to show Peyton driving and Haley sitting in the passenger seat.)

HALEY: Thanks for picking me up.

PEYTON: Yeah, no problem. You needed a ride, I got to slap Chris; win-win.

HALEY: (laughs) I can’t believe you did that.

(Peyton smiles.)

HALEY: Though, sometimes I feel like you wanna slap me.

PEYTON: (looks at her a second) Look, I know I’ve been a bitch.

HALEY: You haven’t been that bad.

PEYTON: (grins) Please, Brooke’s been calling me… Peyton Marie Sawyer.

(Haley looks at her, confused.)

PEYTON: (elaborating) PMS.

HALEY: (gets it) Oh! (laughs)

PEYTON: Yeah. I’m just,… I’m so tired of everyone leaving. You know, they all have really great reasons but it still hurts. So I guess I’ve been taking out all my anger on you coz… you’re the only one who’s come back(!)

(Haley smiles.)

PEYTON: (pause) Welcome home.

HALEY: (gratefully) Thanks.

(Peyton nods.)

CUT TO:

[INT. TREE HILL HIGH – BOYS LOCKER ROOM – EVENING]

(Lucas walks around the corner in the locker room. He’s holding his medicine bottle and looks at one. He swallows it before walking back around where another player is standing. He slips the tub into his coat pocket before shutting the door.)

(Nathan is sitting on a bench, getting his ankle wrapped. He knocks fists with the guy before standing and thinking. He reaches into his jersey and pulls out his necklace with his wedding ring hanging off it. He takes it off and looks at the ring. He puts both on the top shelf of his locker and closes the door.)

CUT TO:

[INT. TREE HILL HIGH – CORRIDOR – EVENING]

(Chris opens the doors and walks into the school. He looks around, hears laughing and stops; eyes wide.)

CHRIS: Nice(!)

(Rachel, Bevin and another cheerleader are standing together, laughing.)

RACHEL: I don’t get it.

(Bevin laughs some more.)

CHRIS: (delighted) Three cheerleaders. God loves Chris Keller.

(He walks to them.)

CHRIS: You’re Rachel, right?

(Rachel looks at him.)

CHRIS: You just made my ‘to do’ list.

RACHEL: You’re on mine, too.

(Chris smiles)

RACHEL: Under ‘make fun of pathetic old guys combing high schools for girls’.

(Chris looks up, his smile’s vanished. Bevin laughs.)

RACHEL: I don’t talk to losers.

CHRIS: Oh, you made an exception with Lucas then. (pause) You’re the Rachel he’s using to make Brooke jealous.

(Rachel looks away, caught.)

CHRIS: Oh, have fun with that.

(He winks at Bevin and walks away.)

BEVIN: (star struck) Bye. (waves)

(Rachel looks at her accusingly.)

BEVIN: (abashed) Sorry.

CUT TO:

(All of the team are sitting in the locker room, waiting for the game to start. Tim rushes to Nathan, pulls up his shirt and shows his lower back to Nathan.)

TIM: Dude, check this out.

(Nathan squints and backs away slightly.)

NATHAN: Nice tramp-stamp, Tim.

TIM: Huh?

NATHAN: (laughing) I don’t know what’s worse: the fact that you got a tattoo above your ass or that it’s of a naked baby angel.

TIM: It’s a cherub!

(Nathan laughs.)

TIM: Well, what’d you get?

NATHAN: (points) Just a shaved head, Tim. That’s it.

(Whitey walks into the locker room.)

WHITEY: (seeing Tim) Put your clothes back on, Smith.

TIM: (walking to Whitey and turning to show his back) I was just showing Nathan that I got my number 55 tattooed on my back to support the team, Coach.

WHITEY: Oh, well, (bends and picks up a jersey) that’s too bad. (throws the jersey at him) Because now you’re number zero!

(The team laugh and Tim looks down at the jersey.)

WHITEY: Right, gather round!

(The team complies and moves over to listen to Whitey.)

WHITEY: Usually, before the first game of the year, I tell my players to get out there and do your best. I tell the seniors… that this is the last year they’ll play as Ravens… so make the most of it.

(The camera pans across, showing all the players.)

WHITEY: Well, that’s all true. (pause) Except this year, there’s one difference; when you leave… I’ll be leaving too.

(The players look at each other.)

WHITEY: At the end of this season, I’m… (struggles) retiring.

(He smiles tightly. Nathan and Lucas look at each other.)

WHITEY: (continuing bravely) Now you boys have worked harder than any team that I’ve ever coached. You’ve got the talent and the desire to be the best team I’ve ever coached. I know it; you know it, now it’s time to make everybody else know it. SO I WANT YOU TO GO OUT THERE AND START THIS SEASON LIKE CHAMPIONS BECAUSE THAT IS HOW I INTEND TO END IT! LET’S GO!

(The team clap and stand, exiting the locker room. Whitey follows them.)

NATHAN: (lagging behind) Hey, (stops Lucas from passing) you know, if you screw us, you screw Whitey too.

(Nathan walks out, leaving Lucas there staring at his shoes.)

FADE TO BLACK:

COMMERCIAL SET:

FADE IN:

(It’s dark with only the spotlights on. The cheerleaders are on the floor, performing their routine before the game. It is instantly obvious that Rachel was the one who made the routine up. Brooke is conspicuous only by her absence.)

(The cheerleaders pick their pom-poms and walk to the announcer’s table, forming two straight lines. The mascot walks between them first, then the players run on.)

MOUTH: Starting for your Tree Hill Ravens; at point guard, number zero, Tim Smith!

(Tim runs out and slaps hands with the reserve team who are standing beside the cheerleaders.)

MOUTH: At center, number thirty-two, Jabar Kelley!

(He does the same.)

MOUTH: At power forward, number twelve, Brandon Roth! At sh**ting guard, co-captain, number three, Lucas Scott!

(Slow-motion as Lucas takes his turn running down between the cheerleaders.)

MOUTH: And finally, co-captain and last years league high scorer, at small forward, number twenty-three, Nathan Scott.

(There’s another slow-motion as Nathan runs out onto the court and slaps hands with his fellow team mates – with the exception of Lucas.)

MOUTH: And now, to sing our national anthem, straight off his tour; Tree Hill’s own… (Mouth’s smile falls and he intones dully) Chris Keller.

(Chris walks onto the floor and smirks at the screeches he’s getting from the female population.)

CHRIS: (into a mic) Thank you, Tree Hill.

(Nathan and Lucas can be seen in the sh*t.)

CHRIS: (looking at Nathan and Lucas briefly) This goes out to all your girlfriends. (to the crowd) You know who you are.

LUCAS: (to Nathan) I hate that guy.

(sh*t of America’s flag as it is dropped, hanging from the ceiling.)

CHRIS: #Oh say can you see,

By the dawn’s early light#

CUT TO:

[EXT. TREE HILL HIGH – ENTRANCE – EVENING]

(Dan is standing at the entrance to the gym. He looks at his watch, obviously waiting for Deb. She appears, walking down the path.)

DAN: (hears her and turns to her) Where the hell have you been? You know we need to make an entrance as a couple!

DEB: (uncaring) Oh, I’m sorry, Dan, I was cleaning up shards of glass from the vase that fell off the door and nearly k*lled me!

DAN: (hiding his amusement) Well as long as you’re OK.

DEB: I’m more than OK.

(She turns to him at the entrance to the gym.)

DEB: According to the radio, Karen’s making quite a come-back in the polls. Apparently, a lot of people think you come across as… egotistical. Imagine that. Maybe she’ll win after all.

(Deb grins and goes to open the door. Dan grabs her arm, stopping her.)

DAN: That vase must have hit you pretty hard. Now stick out your chest and try and look pretty. The public’s waiting.

(He lets go and practically shoves her towards the door. Deb opens the door.)

CUT TO:

(The game’s getting underway. The ref blows the whistle.)

TIM: (to the opponents) Ah, yeah, it’s Tim Time baby!

(Lucas walks forward, clapping. He looks sideways and sees Chris standing there. He looks back repeatedly before finally hallucinating and seeing Brooke standing with Chris, kissing him. Chris looks sideways at Lucas and gives him a thumbs-up sign. Lucas straightens and Chris is alone again, shrugging.)

(Lucas squints at him.)

(The referee blows the whistle and throws the ball into the air. The opposing team gets it first. Lucas finally comes to his senses and starts moving. The opposition makes the first sh*t easily and Nathan barely moves to block it; Lucas is too late.)

NATHAN: (running backwards so that he can talk to Lucas) Hey, quit looking at Keller. We already know he can score. (shoves Lucas)

(Tim tosses the ball at Lucas. He sh**t but it misses. They run across the court and the other team sh**t, miss but get it in the second time round.)

(Whitey waves his hand in distaste. Lucas stops running and bends over slightly, breathing hard.)

(Fade to the other team getting another basket.)

(Fade to Nathan throwing the ball and missing this time.)

(The score board shows that the Ravens have scored two points and the opposition have scored seven.)

(Nathan dribbles the ball across the court. The camera cuts to slow motion as he jumps and gets the ball through the hoop. The crowd jump up, screaming in delight. Whitey claps.)

(Tim throws the ball at Nathan who dodges a player and throws the ball at Lucas. Lucas also gets it through the basket. The cheerleaders cheer.)

(Fade to a Ravens player. He throws the ball to Tim who heads straight for the basket, jumps and gets the ball stuck at the side of the hoop. Whitey looks away in distaste.)

(Slow motion as the opposition gets two baskets in. Lucas struggles and Mouth notices.)

MOUTH: Scott having a little bit of trouble. He’s not looking too good right now.

GIGI: (chipping in) Oh, he’s looking good.

(Mouth looks at Gigi who’s clueless.)

(Cut back to the game where Lucas misses another basket. The scoreboard shows the score’s forty-three to twenty-three, with the Ravens trailing.)

FADE TO:

(Brooke is lying on her bed with the gauze curtains drawn. She looks over at her vacation wall. She gets up and walks to it. She pulls off every picture except the one of her and Lucas on the beach and walks away from it.)

FADE TO:

(Lucas squints at Chris again. He’s chatting to some girls and eating popcorn. Lucas runs between Chris and Nathan who’s holding the ball.)

LUCAS: I’m open, Nathan, (holds his hands out) ball!

(Nathan spares Lucas a glance, turns away, reconsiders and turns back to Lucas.)

LUCAS: BALL!

(Nathan throws the ball hard. Lucas steps aside and it hits Chris on the head. He groans and falls backwards off his seat.)

(Nathan laughs, impressed. Whitey throws his board on the floor, angrily. Lucas turns to look at Chris before slowly turning back to look at Nathan, a huge grin plastered over both their faces.)

NATHAN: That’s the best pit you’ve made all night.

(Lucas walks back onto the court and Whitey glares at both of them.)

(Fade to a close-up of the scoreboard again. The buzzer sounds. The game is over. The score stands: Ravens – thirty-nine; guest – fifty-nine)

MOUTH: (v.o) Well, you can forget that undefeated season, folks; the Ravens have lost their first game.

FADE TO:

(Nathan is leaning against a locker, desolate. Whitey is seen in the doorway. Lucas is also leaning against a locker. The rest of the team are on the benches, all bleak. Whitey walks slowly into the room and straight into his office without looking at any of them.)

(Lucas closes his eyes and rests his head back against the door. Clapping is heard and Dan enters, smiling. Lucas isn’t looking but shakes his head anyway.)

DAN: Well, so much for an undefeated season, huh, ladies?

NATHAN: Get outta here, dad. (faces him) This is not your locker room anymore. You should find a job as a janitor.

DAN: Sixteen points, Nathan, impressive. The scouts are thrilled, especially the deaf and blind ones. (Nathan looks away, shaking his head.) What a joke!

DAN: (to the rest) You’re all a joke. (looks at Lucas) And it seems my mistake is the punch line.

(Lucas finally looks at him.)

NATHAN: You’re the punch line, dad.

(Nathan begins to walk away but Dan grabs him and throws him against the locker he was leaning on and holds him there. There’s another bang and the camera pans to show Whitey who’s just emerged from his office.)

WHITEY: (scowling deeply) Get outta here, Danny

(Whitey lifts the baseball bat he’s holding.)

DAN: Just a little father-son chat, Whitey.

WHITEY: You get outta here right now before they have to carry you out.

(There’s a b*at. Lucas looks between Dan and Whitey. Dan looks at the bat, reconsiders and lets go of his son. He straightens Nathan’s jacket.)

DAN: Oh and one. (winks at Whitey) Keep up the good work. (smiles and walks out)

(Lucas shakes his head again.)

WHITEY: (to the team) Practice, 5am sharp. Now hit the showers, you guys stink!

(Whitey walks out. Mouth looks on, a frown on his face. The team take their jerseys off and get cleaned up.)

FADE TO:

(Brooke is standing at the entrance to the gym and sighs. Lucas walks in and sees her. Rachel runs up behind him.)

RACHEL: Luke!

(She smiles and then sees that Lucas is looking at Brooke. She looks between them.)

LUCAS: Hey, can I get a ride?

RACHEL: Yeah, let’s go.

(Lucas and Rachel walk away, leaving Brooke standing there, not knowing what to do. She nods, getting it.)

FADE TO BLACK:

COMMERCIAL SET:

FADE IN:

[INT. RACHEL’S CAR – THE ROAD – EVENING]

(Lucas is sitting next to Rachel.)

RACHEL: Let me be the first to say; great game. (Lucas looks at her) I own the first, right? Because, I mean, wow, you guys really sucked.

LUCAS: My head wasn’t in it.

RACHEL: No, I know. It was in Brooke’s bedroom – watching her ride Chris Keller.

(Lucas nods and sighs. Rachel nods along.)

LUCAS: You heard about that.

RACHEL: I’m not one of those people who likes to say ‘I told you so’, Lucas.

LUCAS: (disbelieving) Yeah.

RACHEL: Who’m I kidding, I love it. I told you.

(Lucas looks down.)

RACHEL: You need to move on, Lucas.

LUCAS: To what, Rachel, you?

(Rachel rolls her eyes and stops the car.)

RACHEL: To whatever makes you happy but do it now. Live life for the moment because everything else is uncertain. Take advantage of what’s right in front of you.

LUCAS: (scoffs) I’m not hooking up with you tonight, Rachel.

RACHEL: (annoyed) That is not even what I’m talking about! And it’s me who’s not hooking up with you… and it’s also me who’s not gonna be used to make Brooke jealous anymore.

LUCAS: W-wha-

RACHEL: I’m better than that, and I know it. (pause) And you can figure it out too, on your long walk home.

LUCAS: Look, Rachel, come on.

RACHEL: Out you go.

(Lucas scoffs again and grabs the door handle. When Rachel just glares at him determinedly, he opens the door and steps out. He shuts the door and looks at her.)

RACHEL: See ya at school.

(She drives away and leaves Lucas standing there, in pitch dark, with only his legs to get him home. He grins disbelievingly, throws his arms up and begins walking.)

CUT TO:

(Brooke is sitting on the bleachers, amidst the mess of rubbish. The gym is empty. Peyton walks up to her.)

PEYTON: (carefully) Now, that doesn’t look like the face of someone who had a good talk with Lucas.

BROOKE: Then it’s a fitting face for me.

PEYTON: (smiles) It didn’t go well?

BROOKE: It didn’t go. He left with Rachel.

PEYTON: I’m sorry, Brooke. (pats her good-heartedly)

BROOKE: Why am I like this, Peyton? How come I only realise what I want when I don’t have it anymore?

PEYTON: Lucas didn’t realise what he had when you two were together. People are just… I mean, they’re like that sometimes.

BROOKE: Well, Rachel’s not.ow come How come She knew she wanted Lucas and she got him! She’s probably gonna take my squad from me, too.

PEYTON: No. Hey, nobody can take anything from you unless you let them.

BROOKE: Really? Tell that to the thieves at Suburban Filth.

PEYTON: (grins) Yeah, about that,… let’s go see our filthy friends at the mall.

BROOKE: No way(!) Those are the last people I wanna talk to right now.

PEYTON: (pats her leg) Not exactly what I had in mind.

(Peyton grabs Brooke’s hand and pulls her from the gym.)

CUT TO:

[EXT. TREE HILL HIGH – ENTRANCE – EVENING]

(Haley is leaning against the wall next to the door, waiting. It opens and Nathan walks out. She pushes herself from the wall and faces him. He looks at her.)

HALEY: Hey. You did a good job tonight.

NATHAN: What game were you watching?

(Haley laughs)

HALEY: The game where you had the entire team guarding you and you still made, like, thirty points.

NATHAN: Sixteen, Hales. (laughs) The whole team only had thirty-nine.

HALEY: Well, it’s almost half. Plus, I gave you more coz your sh*ts were really hard. That should totally be a rule! (laughs)

NATHAN: It doesn’t work that way.

HALEY: Well, it should.

NATHAN: (sincerely) Thank you. (Haley doesn’t answer) Did you wait out here for me?

HALEY: Yeah. I-I just wanted to make sure you were OK.

(Haley scrutinises him when he doesn’t respond.)

HALEY: Are you?

NATHAN: Not really, but, uh,… I do this thing when I play like crap… where I… walk home alone and try to let go of it all on the way.

HALEY: (nods) OK. Call me later if you wanna… talk or…

(Nathan nods. Haley laughs again.)

HALEY: OK.

(They go their separate ways. Haley’s phone starts to ring. She stops and pulls it out. She flips it open and sees that it’s Nathan calling her. She smiles and turns around to see that Nathan’s also stopped and has his phone to his ear.)

(Haley shows his the phone and they but shut theirs. Haley laughs and walks to him. They walk off together.)

FADE TO:

[INT. THE MALL – SUBURBAN FILTH – EVENING]

(Peyton and Brooke walk into the shop with white sacks. They approach the place where her clothes are and stuff the sacks with all of Brooke’s clothes. The manager spots them and practically charges.)

MANAGER: Hey, whaddaya think you’re doing?!

(She tries to pull the clothes from Peyton’s grasp but Peyton’s too quick and strong.)

BROOKE: Taking my clothes back. You can keep the naked mannequins.

MANAGER: That’s stealing!

BROOKE: Oh, really, like kinda what you did to me. Just think of it as me getting my ten percent discount, ten times in a row.

PEYTON: (nods) Nice math.

(They wave and run out of the shop. The alarms go off. The manager looks at the empty table.)

FADE TO:

[INT. ROE RESIDENCE – FRONT DOOR – EVENING]

(There’s a knock on the front door and Karen opens it. Mouth is standing there.)

MOUTH: Hi, mayor Roe. (smiles)

KAREN: (laughs) You might be the only person who will ever call me that.

MOUTH: I wouldn’t be so sure.

(He holds up his phone and presses play. It shows Dan viciously shoving Nathan against the lockers. Karen gapes and walks forward.)

WHITEY: (recording) Get outta here, Danny.

MOUTH: Not very mayoral, is it?

(Karen looks at Mouth with new-found respect.)

FADE TO:

[EXT. THE RIVERCOURT – THE RIVER – EVENING]

(Lucas stands on some rocks, looking out at the river.)

LUCAS: (v.o) Robert Louis Stevenson wrote: ‘you can not run away from weakness;

(Lucas takes his medication out and looks at it. Close-up of the tub.)

LUCAS: (v.o) you must fight it out… or perish.

(Lucas grits his teeth and closes his fingers around the tub.)

LUCAS: (v.o) And if that be so,…

(He throws the tub into the river.)

LUCAS: (v.o) why not now,… and where you stand?’

(Lucas looks out over the city for a b*at before turning around and walking away. There’s a close-up of the medication as it topples over and sinks.)

END