04x18 - The Runaway Found

Episode transcripts for the TV show "One Tree Hill". Aired September 2003 - April 2012.*

Moderator: UsuallyAlly

Watch/Buy Amazon  Merchandise

This series follows the eventful lives of some high-school kids in Tree Hill, a small but not too quiet town in North Carolina, where the greatest source of pride is the high school basketball team, the Ravens.

04x18 - The Runaway Found

Post by bunniefuu »

Previously on One Tree Hill

PEYTON : You saved me.

BROOKE : You saved me, too.

NATHAN : I borrowed some money from these guys, so they asked me to shave a few points in the last game.

JIMMY : Everyone get away from the door.

MOUTH : Oh, Jimmy, what did you do?

JIMMY : Go.

DAN : What are you doing here, Lucas?

LUCAS : I don't think Jimmy k*lled Keith.

DAN : Keith's dead, okay? He's not coming back. Open your eyes.

KEITH : Open your eyes, Luke. Open your eyes.

LUCAS : Hey, Skills. You know this girl?

SKILLS : Yeah, that's Abby. She was in the tutor center. Jimmy let her go.

ONE TREE HILL

OUTSIDE ABBY BROWN’S HOUSE

It follows the end of the last episode, Lucas knocks at the door

LUCAS (voiceover) : Sometimes, I wonder if anything is absolute anymore. Is there still right and wrong... good and bad... truth and lies? Or is everything negotiable... left to interpretation, gray?

LADY : Who is it?

LUCAS : My name's Lucas Scott. I was wondering if I may talk to Abby.

LADY : There's no Abby here. You have the wrong address.

LUCAS : Well, no, no, no! I was just...

(She shuts the door)

LUCAS : Thanks for nothing.

(Lucas leaves but looks upstairs and see someone behind the curtains)

LUCAS (voiceover) : Sometimes, we're forced to bend the truth... transform it... because we're faced with things that are not of our own making. And sometimes... things simply catch up to us.

OUTSIDE TREE HILL HIGH

Whitey arrives in his car, reporters are waiting for him

REPORTER : Coach Durham, can you address the allegations of point-shaving and illegal activity within the Ravens?

WHITEY : Look, I'm gonna say this one time and one time only. This is the best group of boys I've had in 35 years of coaching. These are not cheaters. They're champions... every one of them.

RIVERCOURT

Nathan and Haley are sitting on the table

NATHAN : There's only three things I'm afraid of losing in this world, Haley... you, our son, and the game.

HALEY : How bad will it get if they find out about you and Daunte?

NATHAN : They'll take my scholarship for sure. And I probably won't play anywhere... ever.

THE APARTMENT

Peyton is taking a shower and she suddenly has vision of Derek.

OUTSIDE TREE HILL HIGH

Brooke is arriving at school, Chase shoves her

CHASE : Sorry.

BROOKE : It's fine.

CHASE : Hey, Brooke. I heard about that stalker thing. I tried calling you, but I never heard back.

BROOKE : Yeah, it's... Where's your Clean-Teen T-shirt?

CHASE : Things change, you know?

BROOKE : Yeah, I know.

(She leaves)

INSIDE TREE HILL HIGH

Peyton is in front of her locker, Brooke joins her

BROOKE : Hey. Do I have any blood on me?

PEYTON : No, why?

BROOKE : 'Cause I just saw Chase, and it feels like I got my heart ripped out.

PEYTON : I think you'll be okay. Do I look insane?

BROOKE : No, why?

PEYTON : I saw him again. This time in the shower.

BROOKE : Peyton, you got to stop doing this to yourself, okay? Fake psycho Derek... whatever the hell his name is... he's locked up. You know that.

PEYTON : Yeah, that's what they said last time... or what he said. I don't know. Maybe if I just see it with my own eyes that he's actually behind bars...

BROOKE : Maybe. Come on.

(They start walking and Peyton has a vision of Derek again)

PEYTON : Hey... You know what, I'm gonna have to catch up with you, okay?

BROOKE : Okay.

INSIDE PRISON

Peyton comes to see Derek in his cell

DEREK : Hi, baby. I knew you'd come. Well, they said that you wouldn't, but... I knew that you would.

PEYTON : I want to know why. Why me? Why did you pick me?

DEREK : You love me.

PEYTON : No. I don't. I hate you. Don't you get that? You're just a deranged, pathetic psycho, and I never, ever want to see you again, okay?

DEREK : Then why'd you come? Have I been in your head? You asked me to come into your life, Peyton. You got undressed in front of your webcam because you knew it would make me want you. You posted those pictures online.

PEYTON : You are wrong.

DEREK : Am I? Is that why you're dressed like that today? Are you a tease, Peyton? Dressing sexy... wearing that perfume, making me... ache for you, and then saying no?

PEYTON : Stop.

DEREK : Are you a tease, Peyton? Because that would really be disappointing.

PEYTON : I did not do this. You did this.

(She leaves)

DEREK : No, you did this! You did this to me, Peyton! It's all your fault! You did this to me! You did this! Tease!

DAN’S HOUSE

Dan is looking at his g*n and hides it when Nathan walks in

NATHAN : Thought you'd look a lot worse, considering the walls are closing in.

DAN : What do you mean?

NATHAN : The point-shaving, dad.

DAN : Right. What are you hearing?

NATHAN : Nothing. You think it's Bear?

DAN : No, no. If it was Bear, he'd have pointed them right to us. Sounds like the whispers of someone who lost a lot of money but isn't close enough to know the details.

NATHAN : They're asking questions about Lucas now, and it's not right. He only missed those free throws because of me.

DAN : Okay. But that's the only time I ever want to hear you say that out loud. Look, first, you won the state championship and every postseason game that Lucas played in, so they're grasping at straws.

NATHAN : You don't think it's serious?

DAN : No, it's serious... because if they find proof, your future's in jeopardy. But I don't think they're gonna find any proof.

NATHAN : So, what do I do?

DAN : You stay cool. Deny everything. And pray no one uncovers the truth.

ABBY BROWN’S HOUSE

Lucas is watching from his car. When the mother leaves, he goes inside the house and find Abby

LUCAS : I'm sorry. I'm sorry. I... I didn't mean to scare you. I didn't mean to scare you. My name's Lucas Scott. We... We go to school together at Tree Hill. Do you know me?

(Abby shakes her head)

LUCAS : My uncle was Keith Scott, and I know that you were in the tutor center that day, and I know that Jimmy let you go. So... Listen... I have to know what you saw, Abby. Okay? You got to tell me. Did Jimmy Edwards... k*ll Keith?

(Abby shakes her head)

(Then her mother enters the room)

ABBY’S MOM : What is this? What the hell is this?

LUCAS : Look, Mrs. Brown, I can exp...

ABBY’S MOM : Get out. Get the hell out of my house, or I'll call the police!

LUCAS : And tell them what, huh? That your daughter knows the truth about my uncle's death?

ABBY’S MOM : Your uncle was Keith Scott? I'm very sorry for you, but my daughter has been traumatized since then. She hasn't been to school. Her life has become very difficult, and that is why I lied to you last night.

LUCAS : Listen, Abby told me that Jimmy Edwards didn't k*ll my uncle Keith.

ABBY’S MOM : Did she? Honey, is your name Abby?

(Abby shakes her head)

ABBY’S MOM : Am I your mother?

(Abby shakes her head)

ABBY’S MOM : Are you sure?

(Abby shakes her head again)

ABBY’S MOM : Now, I'm very sorry for your loss. That day changed all of us... and none of us for the better. But I'd like you to leave. And Lucas, don't come back. Abby has been through enough.

INSIDE LUCAS’S BEDROOM

Haley is waiting, Lucas enters

LUCAS : Hey.

HALEY : Hey.

LUCAS : Jeez, you look worse than I do.

HALEY : Yeah. Um, listen, uh, the thing is that, uh... Nathan said this whole gambling thing's just gonna go away, and I don't real know, uh, how much I believe that, and I just wanted to know what you thought ... if you think that he's right or... or do you think he's right?

LUCAS : No. It's not going away.

HALEY : 'Cause he said that they're just focusing on you, and then they're not gonna find anything, and nothing's gonna happen.

LUCAS : Yeah, but, see, that's the problem. You know, yeah, I mean, I missed a couple free throws, but I'm a sub. I played half a season, 15 minutes a night. No gambler's gonna build a point-shaving scheme around a reserve.

HALEY : Okay, so, what is gonna happen, then?

LUCAS : Well, I think that after they're done looking at me, that they're gonna start taking a look at Nathan. I hate to say it, Hales, but when they do... it's gonna end up really bad.

HALEY : Okay. Okay, um... How bad is... is really bad?

LUCAS : Well, Nathan's not gonna go to jail. But he's not gonna go to Duke, either.

THE APARTMENT

Peyton is sleeping but she is awake by Derek’s voice

DEREK (voiceover): It's all your fault!

(She turns her head and sees a vision of Derek right beside her)

DEREK : Tease.

(Brooke enters the room)

BROOKE : Peyton? Hey, what's wrong?

PEYTON : I went to see him.

BROOKE : Who? Oh, no. Derek?

PEYTON : Ian. His name is Ian.

BROOKE : I know.

PEYTON : You do?

(Brooke take a field from a drawer)

BROOKE : Been hiding these from you. There's been a lot of articles about the att*ck.

PEYTON : I thought you were clipping coupons.

BROOKE : I know, honey, but I hate coupons.

(They ear the front door opening)

PEYTON : Did you leave the front door unlocked?

BROOKE : No.

(They look scared and Haley enters the room)

HALEY : I'm sorry. I'm sorry. I have a key. I... I didn't know if you were sleeping. Sorry.

BROOKE : It's okay. You locked the door, right?

HALEY : Yes, I did.

PEYTON : I used to love my room, and he took it from me. Psycho Derek. It's like I... I really thought if we just fought back, like, if we att*cked our attacker, that he would go away, but he hasn't.

HALEY : It's really gonna take some time, Peyton. You guys went through something really traumatic.

PEYTON : Yeah, but what if you have finals and you can't sleep and you don't have time?

BROOKE : Well, then, hopefully, you have a friend who's gonna tell you that life kicks you around sometimes. It... It scares you, and it beats you up. But... there's a day when you realize that you're not just a survivor. You're a warrior. You're tougher than anything it throws your way. And you are, Peyton. You are. And so are you, Hales.

HALEY : Thank you. And so are you, Brooke.

BROOKE : Thanks.

BROOKE (to Peyton) : Come here.

OUTSIDE WHITEY’S HOUSE

Lucas knocks at the door

WHITEY : I was hoping for a booty call.

LUCAS : Sorry, coach.

WHITEY : What's so important it can't wait till a decent hour?

LUCAS : It's the investigation. It was me. I missed those free throws in the semifinals on purpose, and I just wanted you to hear it from me before I hold a press conference tomorrow. I'm sorry, coach.

WHITEY : You know, I only took a chance on you because Keith asked me to.

LUCAS : I know.

WHITEY : He would be ashamed of you right now... just like I am.

(Whitey shuts the door)
RIVERCOURT

Nathan is playing alone when Whitey arrives

WHITEY : Keeping in shape?

NATHAN : Yes, sir.

WHITEY : Duke's gonna be pretty rough, especially if you're not in shape.

NATHAN : Yes, sir.

WHITEY : So, there's, uh... some reporters asking questions about, uh... gambling... point-shaving... that kind of thing. You know anything about that?

NATHAN : No, sir.

WHITEY : Well, your brother's name's not going to be worth a damn when this whole thing comes down.

NATHAN : What do you mean? Lucas didn't do anything wrong.

WHITEY : Not what he says.

NATHAN : What?

INSIDE LUCAS’ HOUSE

Lucas is watching a picture of Keith when Nathan enters the house

NATHAN : What the hell is wrong with you?

LUCAS : You're welcome.

NATHAN : Screw that, Luke. We said we weren't gonna say anything. We agreed.

LUCAS : So what?

NATHAN : So what did you do?

LUCAS : I went and saved your stupid ass so you could play college basketball and have everything you've ever dreamed about.

NATHAN : You know what? That's a bunch of crap. We could have b*at this thing, man.

LUCAS : Sounds like you're feeling a little guilty to me.

NATHAN : Yeah, of course I'm feeling guilty, but you shouldn't have said anything to Whitey, man. That was a stupid thing to do.

LUCAS : You know what? I don't care. I'm not going to college to play basketball anyway. It doesn't matter.

NATHAN : It doesn't matter that for the rest of time, people are gonna talk? They're gonna say you disgraced the game, Luke. That doesn't matter to you?

LUCAS : Let them say what they want to say about me. It's what they say about Jimmy Edwards. That matters to me. And what they say about Keith. But this? At least I know the truth about this.

NATHAN : Peyton thinks I'm a martyr. I can't stop this, Luke. I just... I'm this close, man, and I got the baby. I can't. You shouldn't have said anything.

THE APARTMENT

Brooke opens the curtains to awake Peyton

PEYTON : What's going on?

BROOKE : It's a new day. Move your scrawny butt. I checked the shower, and psycho Ian's not in there, so you need to be, because, no offense, you're kind of rank.

PEYTON : Thanks a lot.

BROOKE : Well, I just call them likeI smell them. Choppity-Choppity.

PEYTON : What are you doing?

BROOKE : I told you. We're warriors. We kicked that idiot's psychotic ass, so a new day dawns, P. Sawyer.

PEYTON : Yeah, but when I went to go see him... Brooke, he said I led him on... that I led him on with, like, my podcasts and my webcam and the way that I dress.

BROOKE : Peyton. So you're saying that every girl who wears a little bit of lipstick and a short skirt is asking to be assaulted and r*ped?

PEYTON : No, of course not, but... I did give him full access to my life, and now he knows all this stuff

about me. And he uses it, you know? He uses it to get in.

BROOKE : Okay. Then it's time we start learning a little bit about him. Get up and fight, warrior. And take a shower.

g*n ROOM

CLERK : Just the a*mo today, sir?

DAN : Yeah, just the a*mo.

CLERK : The only reason I ask is, we just got this baby in today. .45 a*t*matic, and if you've got your handgun permit, you can be sh**ting her today.

(Dan hold the g*n and start aiming, then a little girl sees him, she get scared and drops the doll she was holding)

CLERK : How'd that feel?

THE APARTMENT

Brooke and Peyton are looking on the computer

BROOKE : Jeez. Who knew there were so many Ian Banks?

PEYTON : Maybe we should add "stalker" to the search.

BROOKE : Really.

PEYTON : So, where's your head at with Chase these days?

BROOKE : I don't know. I think about him a lot. You know how it is. Start wondering if he ever thinks about me, and if he does, is it the same? Did he leave 'cause of the videotape, or was he just looking for an out? You know... same old self-doubt. Oh, wow. This is him. He's not from St. Flora. He's from Texas.

PEYTON : What?

BROOKE : Oh, my god. His girlfriend looks just like you, if you...

PEYTON : If I what?

BROOKE : If you were dead.

ABBY BROWN’S HOUSE

Abby comes to see her mom

ABBY : I want to tell someone, mom.

ABBY’S MOM : Abby.

ABBY : I'm tired of lying about what I saw, and I'm tired of hiding out and pretending I'm crazy. I want to go back to school, mom.

ABBY’S MOM : Honey, you can't. As soon as I make enough money, we'll go someplace different. We will, but for now, we have to do it this way.

ABBY : Why?

ABBY’S MOM : Because I say so. That's why.

ABBY : So what, then? We just hide from our lives?

ABBY’S MOM : At least we have lives.

ABBY : Not really, mom. And you might be afraid of this, but I'm not.

ABBY’S MOM : Abby. Abby. Abby!

(Abby starts leaving and opens the front door. Dan is there)

ABBY’S MOM : You need to get out of here.

DAN : I want to talk to you.

ABBY’S MOM : I said get out!

DAN : Calm down! Just shut up! Will you shut up?! Just... Okay, look. I need you to sit down. Just... Just go sit down.

(They go to the couch)

DAN : Sit down. You're Abby Brown. Look, I don't know what you think you might have seen.

ABBY’S MOM :She didn't see anything.

DAN : Shut up! Just... You made a mistake.

ABBY : No. I saw you. I saw everything.

ABBY’S MOM :Abby. She's not well.

ABBY : I know what you did. And so do you.

DAN : My brother Keith was always better than me. He had a better heart. People liked him more. No, they loved him. Karen loved him. But... Karen was mine. She was supposed to be mine.

ABBY’S MOM :She was just a girl who went to school that day. She's just a girl.

ABBY : I hope you burn in hell.

DAN : So do I.

(Dan put the little girl’s doll on the table and leaves)

INSIDE PRISON

Peyton and Brooke come visiting Derek/Ian

IAN : Well, if it isn't tease one and tease two. Did you come back for another kiss?

BROOKE : Not really, Derek. Or should I call you "Ian"? Yeah, we know your real name. Actually, we know a lot of things about you. We spoke to all your teachers at the Alton Academy and the girls you used to date.

IAN : You don't know anything about me.

PEYTON : Really? Susanna Gold ring a bell? You know, a lot of teenage boys have performance anxiety.

IAN : I know a lot of teenage girls who are teases, too.

BROOKE : Is that really the best that you've got? 'Cause we have a lot more than some podcasts and a few webcam photos, Ian Banks.

IAN : Whatever.

BROOKE : Boyfriend of Maggie Watterson. Or should I say former boyfriend?

IAN : You shut your mouth, you whore.

PEYTON : Hey, what happened to Maggie, Ian?

IAN : I don't know what you're talking about.

BROOKE : Really? 'Cause the accident... you were driving. It was prom night.

IAN : No, it wasn't my fault!

PEYTON : What happened, Ian? Ian?

IAN : We were just messing around... driving fast. My father never let me drive that car. He loved that car.

PEYTON : The road was slippery. You lost control.

IAN : I tried to wake her up. There was just... blood. There was just so much blood. Her parents said it was my fault. They... They all said it.

PEYTON : I can't be Maggie, Ian. I'm not Maggie.

IAN : We were gonna be together forever. She loved me. She... She trusted me.

BROOKE : She forgives you.

PEYTON : She forgives you... I forgive you, too.

IAN : I'm sorry. I'm so sorry.

(Ian starts crying)

PEYTON : I'm not gonna be seeing you anymore. You're not gonna see us, either... ever. Ever. Goodbye, Ian. I hope you find peace.

SCOTT’S HOUSE

Haley and Nathan are in bed.

NATHAN : We talked about not saying anything. Lucas... he was supposed to do nothing.

HALEY : He's really just trying to help out.

NATHAN : It's just so Lucas, you know? Trying to be the hero. I'm not gonna feel guilty about it. Nobody asked him to do this.

HALEY : That's not exactly true. He's doing this for me because I asked him to. And if you're not gonna feel guilty about it, then I sure as hell will, because he is my best friend and he's your brother and he's doing this for all of us. For you and me and our son, and, um... it just really sucks.

NATHAN : Damn it. I'm sorry, Hales. I'm sorry I put us through this. I'm sorry I made you ask Lucas to take the blame. I'm sorry I've been so weak about all this.

HALEY : You are about to make every dream you've had come true. Everybody understands that.

NATHAN : No, it's not worth it. I mean, what the hell was I thinking? We're gonna be parents soon. What would we want our son to do? What would make us proud? And what am I gonna say to him someday when he asks about this? That I was Dan? That I put what I wanted in front of everything else?

HALEY : Nathan... you're gonna lose it all... your scholarship, the game that you love.

NATHAN : I won't lose it all. I'll still have you, and we'll still have our son... and we'll have that feeling that in the face of all this, we didn't lose our way. We still know right from wrong.

HALEY : I'm just... scared for you. I love you for this, but... but it's just not... it's not my dream that's dying. It's yours.

NATHAN : It's gonna be hard. I know that, but... the people I admire are the people that carve a life for themselves after their dream dies. My father could never get past it, Hales. He could never let go of what he wanted when he was 17... and look what it did to him.

LUCAS’ BEDROOM

Lucas is dreaming of him a the rivercourt, seeing Abby

ABBY (voiceover) : Open your eyes, Lucas. Open your eyes.

(He wakes up and Abby is there, in his room)

LUCAS : Abby?

ABBY : I need to talk to you. I know what my mom said, and I'm sorry she lied, but I need to tell

you some things.

LUCAS : You were hiding in the hallway.

(We start seeing some flashbacks from the sh**ting episode)

ABBY : I got scared, and I ran, but I was worried about the others and Jimmy, too. I saw it in his eyes when he let me go. He was just scared, too.

LUCAS : You came back. And what happened after that? Huh? Abby? Come on, you got to tell me.

Please.

ABBY : Your uncle Keith... he tried to help Jimmy.

(KEITH : Please. )

ABBY : But he couldn't. And Jimmy...

LUCAS : Jimmy what? Jimmy what?

(KEITH : No!)

LUCAS : Was my uncle Keith still alive when Jimmy sh*t himself?

(Abby nods)

LUCAS : Who sh*t him, Abby?

ABBY : I thought once he realized someone knew the truth, he'd come forward, so I stalked him with messages and threats. I thought he'd turn himself in. I thought I'd be safe. But he found me.

LUCAS : Who?! Who k*lled... Who k*lled my uncle?

ABBY : Your father. It was your father... Dan Scott. He k*lled Keith. He was there... and he picked up the g*n... and you know I'm right, don't you? You know it in your heart.

LUCAS : You have to come forward. You got to tell somebody, Abby.

(She starts leaving)

LUCAS : Abby, you have to tell somebody!

ABBY : I did. I told you. I'm sorry.

(She leaves)

TREE HILL HIGH

The reporters are there for the press conference. Nathan comes to see Whitey, in private

NATHAN : Coach.

WHITEY : I don't know how you can look your brother in the eye, Nathan. This is a damn disgrace.

NATHAN : Coach, I lied to you on the River Court yesterday and during the playoffs. It wasn't Lucas.

WHITEY : I know.

NATHAN : I'm sorry.

WHITEY : So am I... more than you'll ever know.

(Whitey leaves)

Haley joins Nathan, they walk together outside to the press conference. Lucas is in the audience

NATHAN : When I was 2 years old, I made my first basket. When I was 6, basketball went from being a game to a sport. Since then, I've played 7,072 official minutes... probably 20,000 or 30,000 unofficial. But for 32 minutes this season, over the course of two games, I did not compete to the best of my ability. I regret this. And I regret that the fear of losing the opportunity to continue playing the game that I've always loved prevented me from standing up and taking full responsibility for this sooner. I apologize to my coach and to my teammates and to all the kids who look up to me... especially to the kids. And while I never lost a game on purpose, the truth is still the truth. And you can spin it and shade it and bend it, but there's still right and wrong, and I was wrong. And the truth is, I've forsaken a game that's always been incredibly good to me and teammates that have been like brothers... and a brother that was a teammate. To my coach... my wife... my father, and my family, I apologize for the burden I know this will bring. I know that the integrity of the game cannot be compromised. I regret that my own integrity was not as steadfast. I'm deeply remorseful for the choices I've made, but I will accept whatever consequences there might be. I love this game. I'm sorry I betrayed it.

THE APARTMENT

Peyton enters the room. The walls are paint in red and there are Peyton’s music albums on the shelves.

PEYTON : Brooke...

BROOKE : You loved your room, Peyton. And, maybe, like you said, that's been taken from you, but we're gonna take it back. We're gonna take everything back.

LUCAS’ HOUSE

Dan enters Lucas’ empty bedroom. Then Karen sees him.

KAREN : Dan?

DAN : I've done some horrible things. Unforgivable things. Lucas didn't need a father. He had one. He had a person who helped him erase the shame of my cowardice. Everything I've touched, I've diminished... Deb's life, Nathan's talent. Keith.

KAREN : You're... you're not without redemption. I've... I've seen it. I see it.

DAN : That's not true. That's not true. I just want to... I want to go back, you know? I just want to go back. I... I want to take that little kid that I used to be and just grab him and shake him and say, "You stop. Stop! Just stop!" I want to wake up from this nightmare. I... I want to breathe again. I want to... I want to breathe again, Karen. Can you help me breathe? Can you help me quiet these voices in my head that tell me I've lost you? Because I know that I have. If only I would have stayed with you.

Lucas comes home and find Karen and Dan kissing.

LUCAS (voiceover) : Truth is still absolute. Believe that... even when that truth s hard and cold and more painful than you've ever imagined. And even when truth... is more cruel than any lie.