08x03 - The Space in Between

Episode transcripts for the TV show "One Tree Hill". Aired September 2003 - April 2012.*

Moderator: UsuallyAlly

Watch/Buy Amazon  Merchandise

This series follows the eventful lives of some high-school kids in Tree Hill, a small but not too quiet town in North Carolina, where the greatest source of pride is the high school basketball team, the Ravens.

08x03 - The Space in Between

Post by bunniefuu »

PREVIOUSLY ON ONE TREE HILL

BROOKE: Why is my signature on these documents?

VICTORIA: Honey, you empowered us to do this.

BROOKE: No, I empowered you to pick a cover model for the magazine, not to send me to prison. This is not my fault!

QUINN: Clay, what's happening?

CLAY: It's my fault.

WOMAN: Two victims, both critical, coming in. Victim number one -- male. Estimated mid-20s.

QUINN: Haley! She can't see me.

CLAY: I can.

QUINN: I want to stay with you.

CLAY: And I want that, but you can't.

QUINN: Why?!

CLAY: Haley's pregnant. She can't lose you right now.

QUINN: Promise me you'll open your eyes.

CLAY: I promise. Till kingdom come.

QUINN: Till kingdom come.

CLAY: Now open your eyes.

HOSPITAL

Haley writes her letter for Lucas, seeing sleep Quinn and Jamie.

HALEY(Voice-over): "Dear, Lucas.I feel so lucky that Quinn is getting better. It means I can breathe again. The darkness that I've struggled with now seems a world away, replaced by my concern for her. I made a promise that if she was okay, I would try to give back. I thought I might volunteer somewhere and try to help people who have struggled with depression or who have faced a crisis of their own. She's been recovering for about a week, and the entire family was here. But now they've gone, and it's just me and Quinn. Every day brings another small victory, and with it, the hope that Clay wakes up soon.

Nathan reads newspapers for Clay.

NATHAN: ''With NBA training camps now a week old, exhibition games will begin soon. Rosters will be trimmed to the mandatory 13 players, and dreams will come true or die in sweat-soaked practice facilities and exhibition game box scores. The Charlotte bobcats have been thrilled with the addition of Joe Turner." You hear that, Buddy? You're the badass that made that happen. You can do this, Clay. Believe that. "Closed over bros. Fashion designer Brooke Davis faces charges of financial corruption." We'll skip that one.

RESTAURANT

Victoria joins her daughter.

BROOKE: Thanks.

VICTORIA: Good morning, daughter.

BROOKE: If you're spelling morn "m-o-u-r-n."

VICTORIA: Always with the drama. Let's see if we can turn that frown upside down. Your problems are over.

BROOKE: What do you mean?

VICTORIA: I mean that our attorneys have spoken with their attorneys who've spoken with half of the federal government, and we've reached an agreement. We will pay a fine, we'll restructure, we'll get a slap on the wrist, and you will keep your company. And your freedom.

BROOKE: But how?

VICTORIA: Let's just say that I've always had your best interests at heart, and I still do. So breathe. And, uh, don't eat that. You're gonna be just fine.

BROOKE: I can't believe it.

VICTORIA: What, no "thank you"?

BROOKE: Thank you? You want a "thank you" for getting me into this mess?

VICTORIA: No. I want a "thank you" for getting you out of it.

BROOKE: How 'bout a "you're fired"? You want one of those, too?

VICTORIA: No thank you necessary. And contrary to what you might think, I am sorry for putting you through this.

HOSPITAL

Quinn is waking up.

QUINN: I'm sorry... For putting you through all this.

HALEY: Well, it's about time you apologized. You really are so selfish.

QUINN: How's Clay?

HALEY: He's the same. But he's stable. Nathan's in with him right now.

QUINN: Will you take me to see him?

HALEY: Quinn, every day you ask me that, and every day I tell you the doctors don't want you moving yet.

QUINN: Hales...

HALEY: I promise as soon they say it's okay, I will take you to see him.

QUINN: Okay.

HALEY: Jamie. Hey. Wake up, Buddy. Aunt Quinny's awake.

QUINN: Hey, there, little man.

JAMIE: Hi, aunt Quinn. I have your star right here. It's helping you get better.

QUINN: I know it is. Hey, will you do something for me? Will you go give this to Clay for a little while? He needs it now. Okay.

Clay walks in the hall.

CLAY: Oh, Cheryl. Good call on the hair. Old man from 307, your son is still trying to change the will! Geez. What the hell happened to you?

MAN: Dog bite.

CLAY: Who said that?

MAN: This sucks, huh? Now I know why they call it the waiting room.

Brooke and Julian come to pick Jamie.

HALEY: Hey, I was thinking that, uh...

BROOKE: There they are! Hi, Jimmy jam.

QUINN: Good timing. She's awake.

HALEY: I was actually wondering if I could talk to you for a second.

JULIAN: Oh. Dude, they restocked the cafeteria with all sorts of sugary goodness. I'm buying. You in?

JAMIE: Sweet.

JULIAN: Literally.

JAMIE:Mom, can I?

HALEY: Do your worst.

JAMIE: Yes!

BROOKE: Hi.

HALEY: Hi. Quinn's really broken up about Clay, and Jamie is getting worried, and I was just hoping you guys could take him for the day.

BROOKE: Absolutely.

HALEY: Thank you.

BROOKE: How are they?

HALEY: Quinn's getting better. Clay's the same. What's going on with you? What's happening with your company?

BROOKE: I think it's gonna be okay.

HALEY: Wow. That's great, Brooke.

BROOKE: Hey, mouth and Millie send their best. They just didn't want to be in the way.

HALEY: Of course. Are they back together?

BROOKE: No.

MOUTH'S APARTMENT

Mouth and Millie are in bed.

MOUTH: Sleep well?

MILLICENT: Yep. You?

MOUTH: Pretty good, yeah. So... What's your day like?

MILLICENT: Oh, same day as yesterday. Pretty much deal with the fact that I got Brooke arrested and almost lost the company. You?

MOUTH: Oh, same as yesterday. Pretty much...Nothing. So, I guess last night we must have...

MILLICENT: Yeah. Yeah, I guess so. We should probably get up.

HOSPITAL

Clay speaks with guy.

CLAY: You can see me?

MAN: Of course I can see you. You look like ass, by the way. Now, the girl you're keeping watch over...uh, what's her name... Quinn? Yeah, she's fine.

CLAY: Dude, really? I haven't spoken to anyone for a week, and this is how you come at me?

MAN: Well, I'm just saying, you know? If you don't live, I'm all over that.

CLAY: Ahh. I can smack you, right?

MAN: What?

CLAY: Yeah.

MAN: Ow. Dude.

CLAY: Just checking. So what about that? The living part, I mean. Do you know what this is? Do you know how we can even get back?

MAN: We're in between, man. We get back by living. Otherwise... Hope that's not me.

CLAY: W-what's happening?

(Nathan asks help for Clay)

NATHAN: What...can you help him?

CLAY: It's not.

ONE TREE HILL - CREDITS

HOSPITAL

Clay and the guy looks at the body of Clay.

MAN: The respirator's always a tough break. I'm on one, too, if it helps.

CLAY: It doesn't.

They will walk in the corridors.

CLAY: I can't be on a respirator. I mean, I need to find a way to get back.

MAN: What happened to you, anyway?

CLAY: I got sh*t.

MAN: Ooh, nice. What's that like?

CLAY: I-I...I don't remember.

MAN: Well, if it helps, you... you look a lot better.

CLAY: It doesn't.

MAN: Oh, come on, man. I've had no one to hang with for weeks. Stop being a baby.

Jamie and Julian look at the newborns.

JAMIE: My mom's gonna have another baby.

JULIAN: Yeah, I heard.

JAMIE: Do you know anything about that?

JULIAN: What?

JAMIE: Where babies come from.

JULIAN: Uh... Stork, bro.

JAMIE: Weak.

(Brooke comes in)

BROOKE: Hey.

JAMIE: Aunt Brooke, do you know where babies come from?

BROOKE: Not from me. Oh.

MOUTH'S APARTMENT

MILLICENT: So where's skills?

MOUTH: Oh, uh, he's working for that sports coordinating company in L.A.

MILLICENT: I thought he came back for Lauren.

MOUTH: Yeah. Uh, that didn't really...

MILLICENT: Got it.Oh, God. You and Lauren aren't...

MOUTH: No. No. How 'bout you? Are...are you...

MILLICENT: No. So how's the job search going?

MOUTH: It's kind of grim, actually. Just been sending out resumes and looking online, but mostly I've just been working on my podcast.

MILLICENT: Oh, yeah? You have a podcast?

MOUTH: Yeah. It's this sports website I'm working on where I talk about sports and sports-related topics, but I don't know. I've only gotten 48 hits.

MILLICENT: Today?

MOUTH: Well, uh... Ever.

MILLICENT: Oh. Well, it'll probably just take some time to catch on, you know?

MOUTH: Yeah. Ebay took some time. So...

MILLICENT: Sure. I should probably go.

MOUTH: Oh. Okay. I, um... Thanks you. Thank you. I'll see you later. Or soon.

HOSPITAL

Haley talks with Quinn.

QUINN: Hey. You know, I never told you congratulations on your pregnancy.

HALEY: Thanks. Well, you were kind of busy with the whole trying-to-live thing, so...I'm glad you did.

QUINN: Me too.

HALEY: So... We need to talk about Clay.

QUINN: Is he awake?

HALEY: No, he's not. His organs are failing. He's on a respirator, and it's breathing for him right now.

QUINN: He's gonna be okay.

HALEY: He needs a kidney transplant. If he doesn't get it, they don't think that he's gonna make it.

QUINN: I need to see him.

HALEY: You can't.

QUINN: Hales, I need to talk to him. Please.

HALEY: I'll try.

MOUTH'S APARTMENT

Microphone sends a message on his blog.

MOUTH: They make us cry sometimes. They make us cheer for the underdog, celebrate teams over individuals, and sometimes individuals over teams. I'm mouth McFadden, and today we're talking about the best sports movies of all time. For me, one of those films will always be "the Natural." Starring Robert redford, "the Natural" is the story of Roy hobbs, a man in his prime who is sh*t at close range by an obsessive woman.

HOSPITAL

Nathan talks with the doctor about Clay.

NATHAN: I was wondering... What are the odds a kidney becomes available?

DOCTOR: It's hard to say. To find the right match could take some time.

NATHAN: Does he have much time?

DOCTOR: No.

NATHAN: Take mine. He can have one of my kidneys.

DOCTOR: Nathan, we're not even sure you're a match.

NATHAN: Let's find out.

DOCTOR: That's a wonderful gesture, and a Noble one, but you need to know something. If you give him a kidney, your basketball career is over.

(Clay and the guy see the scene)

MAN: The plot thickens.

GROUND OF BASEBALL

Brooke, Julian and Jamie play.

JULIAN: Let's see if you can hit my fast ball.

BROOKE: Oh.

JULIAN: Okay, I guess you're good with that. Here comes a curve ball.

JULIAN: Oh!

BROOKE: Dude! You're so going pro.

JAMIE: Nah, I'm gonna play basketball like my dad.

HOSPITAL

Nathan explains to Haley what he wants to do. Clay comments on.

NATHAN: I would lead a normal life. I just wouldn't...Be able to play basketball.

CLAY: Which is completely unacceptable. Nate, we worked so hard!

MAN: Come on, man. Shut up. I want to hear this.

HALEY: Are they sure that you couldn't play?

NATHAN: There are a couple of unique cases where guys going through this have played, but I...I wouldn't be one of them.

HALEY: Maybe they could find a donor.

CLAY: Ah, that's right. That is right. Good point, hales.

NATHAN: He's getting worse, hales. What if that were me in there? What would you say to Clay?

CLAY: That's not fair.

HALEY: That's not fair. Clay could still do what he loves. He could still be an Agent. I don't know, baby. You've worked so hard.

CLAY: That's what I said.

NATHAN: They ran some tests on my back. It's getting worse.

HALEY: What?

NATHAN: I didn't tell you because of Clay and Quinn and Brooke and everything that you've had to deal with, but...my back is degenerating. I could maybe play this season or even next and it could be fine but nobody can really say for sure. The only thing we do know for sure is that if I do this for Clay... I could save his life.

HALEY: I love you. I love the person that you are, your strength.

NATHAN: Where do you think I learned it?

Clay and the guy walks in corridors.

CLAY: I can't believe he's giving up the game.

MAN: Oh, come on, man. He's doing this for you. Besides, you heard him. His back is all screwed up.

CLAY: We don't know that for sure. He's using me as an excuse.

MAN: He's saving your life.

CLAY: You know what? Why don't you just stay out of this! I don't even know you.

MAN: I think you might want to remember what you could lose, Clay. How 'bout you just say "thank you"?

MOUTH'S APARTMENT

MICRO: There's a moment in "field of dreams" where moonlight Graham knows he'll never play the game again. And he's at ease with it because he had his moment in the sun. And because he had something else in his life to take the game's place.

JAMIE'S BEDROOM

Nathan come to see Jamie.

NATHAN: You have a good day, Buddy?

JAMIE: Yeah. How are Clay and aunt Quinn?

NATHAN: Uh, aunt Quinn's doing better. But, uh, Clay's not doing so good. He needs a kidney transplant, Jamie, so they're gonna see if they can take one from me.

JAMIE: Will you be okay?

NATHAN: Yeah. I'll be fine. Um... I won't be able to play basketball anymore, though.

JAMIE: Do you have to? Give Clay your kidney?

NATHAN: No. No, I don't have to. But if I don't, then Clay might not get one. And if Clay doesn't get one... He might never wake up.

JAMIE: Maybe he could have my kidney. That way he would be okay and you could still be a bobcat.

NATHAN: I think you're a little young for that, Jame. I love you for the offer, though, and I know Clay would, too. Do you understand how important this is for Clay, Buddy? Okay. I know you loved that I was a bobcat, so I understand if you're a little disappointed. But just... Just try to think about Clay, okay? We'll talk about this more in the morning. I love you, Buddy.

JAMIE: I love you, too. Hey, dad? Clay's the reason you were gonna be a bobcat this year, so if he needs help, we should help him.

NATHAN: You're a good man, Jamie Scott.

JAMIE: So are you, dad.

HOSPITAL

Haley lets Quinn to see Clay.

HALEY: Quinny. Quinn! Promise me you're well enough for this. Are you okay?

QUINN: Yeah.

HALEY: I'll be outside.

QUINN: Thanks. Hi, honey. It's me. I'm right here. Hey, handsome. You know, my whole family was here. It's usually best to be in a coma for that, so...Nice work. I also need to tell you that it's gonna take longer to get into Nathan's basketball games next year because my right boob is gonna set off the metal detector. Apparently, I still have the b*llet in me, so you can cross that off your fantasy-girl wish list. So just between us, everybody's putting on a really brave face, but I think they're all really scared. Because they can't imagine losing you. It's too much to imagine. But that's not gonna happen, is it? My man is too strong for that. So why don't -- why don't you surprise us all... And open those beautiful blue eyes and take my breath away like you know you do. Just open those eyes...That see me like no eyes ever have. And I'll be right here waiting.

HOSPITAL

Clay and the guy are on the roof.

MAN: ''Get yourself a limbo girl give that chick a limbo whirl there's a limbo moon above you will fall in limbo love''. I took the moon for granted. I wouldn't do that anymore, if I lived. I also like to think I'd be nicer to people, too. 'M not saying I would be, but I'd like to think I would. You're supposed to talk now.

CLAY: The girl who sh*t me sh*t Quinn, too. The thing is... She compelled me, at first. I mean, she was, uh, just imbalanced and obsessive. I've just been thinking, and, um... I don't know, man. Maybe I, uh, maybe I led her on.

MAN: No. No. Crazy is crazy. It's not your fault. ''Every limbo boy and girl all around the limbo world. What? It's catchy. Hey, can I ask you something? You know what comes next? You know, like if we die? I've been kind of worried about that.

CLAY: No. I don't know what comes next. And I don't want to know.

MAN: Yeah. Like I said... I've been worried about it.

CLAY: ''Jack be limbo, Jack be quick''

NALEY'S HOUSE

Nathan and Haley are in bed, they discuss.

HALEY: I took Quinn to see Clay tonight. She tried to be brave, but you could...you could see the desperation in her eyes.

NATHAN: I remember sitting in the hospital after the state championship game. I was praying that you'd wake up, just sitting there, desperate, helpless... And responsible. But here we are. You were pregnant with Jamie that night.

HALEY: Mm-hmm.

NATHAN: I remember thinking that I didn't want to lose what we had. But I also didn't want to lose what we'd have... The rest of our lives together...Our family...Our someday.

HALEY: That's all she wants...someday. They deserve that.

NATHAN: Everyone deserves that.

BRULIAN'S HOUSE

Julian and Brooke will lie down.

BROOKE: It was nice having Jamie today. I don't know if I'm allowed to say it, but despite everything, it was a good day.

JULIAN: He likes being with his aunt Brooke.

BROOKE: No, he likes being with you, and I like seeing you two together. I love that you're so good to him.

JULIAN: Does it make you a little sad?

BROOKE: Yeah.

JULIAN: I know. So what's happening with the company?

BROOKE: My mom says that we're keeping the company, and that she and the attorneys can handle everything.

JULIAN: But do we trust her this time?

BROOKE: Honestly? I don't know if I'll ever trust her again. Damn it.

CLOTHES OVER BROS

Brooke calls Victoria but she is busy. She tries to find a solution with help for Millicent.

VICTORIA: That's Brooke.

MILLICENT: Don't you think you should take it?

VICTORIA: I'll talk to her eventually. But...where were we?

MILLICENT: You know, Victoria, I know you're trying to help, but this is how we got here. I hate that I didn't involve Brooke the last time, and I don't feel good about it now.

VICTORIA: I understand that. And I respect it. But consider this...if we had involved Brooke the last time, she'd be going to prison instead of me. Is that what you'd prefer?

MILLICENT: No.

VICTORIA: Okay. So where were we?

MILLICENT: You were talking about how to deal with the press.

VICTORIA: Yes. You're gonna have to do some research.

HOSPITAL

Nathan makes the blood test.

MOUTH'S APARTMENT

MOUTH: "Brian's song" was a true story, a Buddy film, a sports tale, an emotional tearjerker, all wrapped up into one great underdog sports movie. But at its core, "Brian's song" was a tale of two friends, one who was dying, and one who would've given anything to save him.

HOSPITAL

Nathan, Haley and Jamie wait the answer of the doctor.

DOCTOR: I'm sorry, Nathan. You're not a match.

Haley goes to see Quinn in her room.

QUINN: There has to be something we can do.

HALEY: Yeah, um...Tay says you've been calling everybody in the family shopping for a kidney.

QUINN: There has to be something.

HALEY: He doesn't have much time, Quinn.

Haley lets Quinn to see Clay.

NATHAN: I'm sorry.

QUINN: I don't... I don't want to live without you, okay? I'm sorry. I love you so much, and this world is too big and it's too dark and it's too much if you leave it.

MAN: I know this sucks, but it's got to be nice to know that someone loves you like that.

ROAD

Nathan cleans up Clay's car and he drives. Then he stops in front of pre of horses. He cries.

HOSPITAL

Nathan joins at church of the hospital.

HALEY: Brooke and Julian picked up Jamie.

NATHAN: I'm not strong enough for this. My whole life, I've willed myself to face things. Anything that was bigger than me, anything that defeated me, I just kept going until I b*at it. Not this. This is too big. I never really understood what you faced when you lost your mom until today. I'm not strong enough, Haley.

HALEY: Yes, you are. And when you're not, you have me.

NATHAN: What are we gonna do?

MOUTH'S APARTMENT

MOUTH: "What are we gonna do?" On the Eve of the fight of his life, rocky balboa can't sleep. So he goes to the arena, and finding no comfort there, he goes home to Adrian. She wakes up and sits with him, there in the shadows of the night, and he confesses that he can't win. It's a fight he's going to lose. And Adrian waits for a moment, and then she says...

HOSPITAL

QUINN: What are we gonna do?

MOUTH'S APARTMENT

MOUTH: "What are we gonna do?" Not "what are you gonna do," but "what are we gonna do?" And that's what I love about "rocky." He knew he wasn't gonna win. He didn't win.

BRULIAN'S HOUSE

Julian and Brooke lay down Jamie.

JAMIE: Good night, aunt Brooke. Good night, Julian.

JULIAN: Good night, Buddy. Sleep tight.

JAMIE: Aunt Brooke, Julian...you guys are gonna make great parents someday.

HOSPITAL

Quinn is with the bedside of Clay.

MOUTH(Voice-over): He didn't get everything he wished for. But he stayed on his feet long enough to find love.

BRULIAN'S HOUSE

Somebody knocked on the door, Brooke will open.

BROOKE: Please don't be the police.

MILLICENT: Hi.

BROOKE: Millie, what are you doing here? It's early.

MILLICENT: I know. I need to tell you something.

CLOTHES OVER BROS

Brooke explains with her mother.

BROOKE: Mom?

VICTORIA: She told you, didn't she?

BROOKE: Is it true? Are you going to prison?

VICTORIA: Well, it's...it's white collar. It's more of a country club, really.

BROOKE: It's prison, mother. How could you do this?

VICTORIA: Because you're my daughter, and I love you.

BROOKE: I don't want you to go.

VICTORIA: It's my fault.

HOSPITAL

Jamie gives ideas to parents for Clay's awake.

JAMIE: We should get confetti for when Clay wakes up.

HALEY: Honey, Uncle Clay is very sick.

JAMIE: I know. But remember when you won the state championship game? And Uncle Lucas made the winning sh*t? Remember how that felt?

NATHAN: Mm-hmm.

JAMIE: So, I think it's gonna feel like that when Clay wakes up. So we should get confetti.

NATHAN: I love you. You know that?

Quinn speaks at Clay.

QUINN: I love you. You know that? But I want to talk to you about Sara. Because I know how much you loved her, and how much she loved you. And I don't... I don't know how it works in heaven, but I'm sure that they have a plan for that. For you to be with her but... But to also be with me. Because in my heaven... It's just us. You and me. They must have a plan for that.

Clay is still with the guy in the roof.

CLAY: I'm in love with Quinn. But I had a wife that I used to love, too, but she d*ed. How do you suppose that works?

MAN: I don't know. It just does.

CLAY: You think? Because I've been trying to make sense of it, and I can't.

MAN: So what? Look, this doesn't make sense, does it? Couple of ghosts sitting on a roof? But here we are.

CLAY: I never asked you, but, uh, how'd you get here?

MAN: Car accident.

CLAY: I'm sorry.

MAN: Nah, it was my fault. I was texting.

CLAY: Dude... Do you know how stupid that is?

MAN: I do now.

CLAY: So what's your name, anyway?

MAN: It's Will.

MOUTH'S APARTMENT

MOUTH: Most great stories are stories of will, of determination and courage in the face of great adversity, of the will to win, of the will to fight, of the will to survive.

HOSPITAL

Clay sees Quinn crying him.

CLAY: I love you, Quinn.

He joins Will at waiting room.

CLAY: I don't know how to do this.

WILL: I guess you'll know when you know.

CLAY: I don't want to die.

MOUTH(Voice-over): Most great movies, whether sports films or otherwise, remind us of why we're here, of how precious and precarious our lives are. And of how lucky we are to have each other.

There is an urgency in the room of Will. He will die.

WILL: It was good hanging with you.

CLAY: Yeah.

WILL: It's not your fault.

QUINN: I love you, Clay Evans. Till kingdom come.

PRISON

Victoria goes to the police force and thus goes in prison.

QUINN(Voice-over): "Victoria Davis, the key player in the clothes over bros financial scandal, reports to prison today in North Carolina. In exchange for her guilty plea, Ms. Davis was convicted of conspiracy to commit fraud, a reduced sentence that carries with it a shorter prison term."

NALEY'S HOUSE

Nathan poses the shirts of Jamie on his bed and sees his shirt of Bobcats.

HOSPITAL

Quinn reads newspapers for Clay.

QUINN: ''The Charlotte bobcats are still without recently signed point guard Nathan Scott. No timetable has been set for his return to the team. The team says they may explore free-agent options and would also would consider trading for an established player before the season begins. The Atlanta falcons are still without their top draft pick, quarterback Troy Jameson. The Arkansas prospect continues to hold out."

(Clay awakes)

CLAY: You look pretty. Hi.

QUINN: God, I missed you.

CLAY: Is this heaven?

QUINN: No. Just my version of it.

QUINN(Voice-over): "Will Bennett d*ed Monday evening. Mr. Bennett was an active sportsman, a son, a brother, and beloved by many. His organs were donated so that others might live."

End of the episode.