01x19 - The Return

Episode transcripts for the TV show "Once Upon A Time". Aired October 2011 - May 2018.*

Moderator: baileybelle

Watch/Buy Amazon  Merchandise

A woman with a troubled past is drawn to a New England town where fairy tales are to be believed.

01x19 - The Return

Post by bunniefuu »

–[Real World]–

(August, who is sleeping is his bed at the inn, wakes up to find his leg shaking uncontrollably. He attempts to grab his leg, but instead ends up stiffly falling out of the bed. He hobbles over to the phone and dials a number.)

August: Hey, you there? Good. This is taking too long. We need to accelerate the plan.

———–

(August and Henry are lurking across the street from Mr. Gold’s Pawn Shop.)

August: It’s almost nine. You all set? You know what to do?

Henry: Operation Cobra is always ready. I just…

August: You just what?

Henry: I don’t understand what this has to do with getting Emma to believe.

August: Sometimes, other priorities assert themselves. Can you handle a little improvisation?

Henry: Yeah. Can you?

August: We’re a go.

(Henry runs across the street and enters the shop. Mr. Gold greets him.)

Henry: Hey, Mr. Gold.

Mr. Gold: Good morning, Henry. What can I do for you?

Henry: I want to get a gift for Miss Blanchard.

Mr. Gold: Oh, I see.

Henry: Since, she didn’t k*ll that woman.

Mr. Gold: Good thinking.

(As Henry distracts Mr. Gold, August enters the shop through the back door.)

Henry: Are these bells? Cool.

Mr. Gold: See anything you fancy?

(Henry continues to discuss purchasing a bell with Mr. Gold, while August searches through Mr. Gold’s office out back. He is caught snooping by Mr. Gold.)

Mr. Gold: May I help you?

August: Yeah. I’m looking for some maps. I’m a bit of a collector.

Mr. Gold: Yes. Well, there’s maps through in the shop. This is my office.

August: I thought this was the entrance.

Mr. Gold: It’s not. The shop’s through there.

———–

(At the hospital, Kathryn is awake and is being assessed by Dr. whale. Emma enters.)

Dr. Whale: Emma. Come on in. Look who’s awake.

Emma: Kathryn, hi. Listen, I don’t want to take a lot of your time. But, do you remember what happened?

Kathryn: I don’t know much. Um, I was in a car accident, and…I remember the airbag going off. And the next thing I knew, I was in the dark, in some basement. I didn’t see anyone, but there was food and water. And then, I guess I was drugged.

Dr. Whale: Yeah. We’re still trying to flush that out of your system.

Kathryn: And then, I woke up in a field at the edge of town, and I started walking. That was it.

Emma: You saw no one? You didn’t hear a voice? Smell perfume? Cologne? Anything?

Kathryn: Nothing, no. I’m sorry. I wish I could help. Especially since… While I was gone, you thought I was dead?

Emma: Your DNA matched the heart we found.

Dr. Whale: They’re grilling everybody down at the hospital lab to see who doctored the DNA results.

Kathryn: Why would anyone do this?

Emma: I think someone was trying to frame Mary Margaret.

Kathryn: But why? I mean, who would do something like that?

———–

(Regina and Mr. Gold are in Mr. Gold’s Pawn Shop.)

Regina: You broke our deal.

Mr. Gold: I broke one deal in my life, dear. And it certainly wasn’t this one.

Regina: Kathryn was supposed to die, and Mary Margaret was to get the blame.

Mr. Gold: Yeah, m*rder seems so much worse here, though, doesn’t it? You can’t just turn someone into a snail and then step on them, can you? You didn’t say ‘k*ll her’. We agreed that something tragic should happen to her. Now, abduction is tragic.

Regina: The intent was perfectly clear.

Mr. Gold: Oh, let’s not talk about intent. Intent is meaningless.

Regina: Intent is everything.

Mr. Gold: Please.

Regina: This is going to raise all kinds of questions about where she was and how the test results were fake.

Mr. Gold: Oh, yes. And, um… And who put the key in her cell.

Regina: It’s all going to lead to me, isn’t it? You bastard. This doesn’t make any sense. You and I – we’ve been in this, together, from the start.

Mr. Gold: Oh, have we?

Regina: You created the curse for me. The curse that brought us here, and built all this.

Mr. Gold: Yes, it’s about time you said thank you.

Regina: Why did you do it?

Mr. Gold: Well, you’re a smart woman, Your Majesty. Figure it out.

–[Fairy Tale World]–

(In a small village, Baelfire and several kids are playing with a ball outside. The ball is knocked in the path of a donkey cart, driven by a man. When Baelfire goes to retrieve it, he trips and scrapes his knee.)

Man: Hey. Hey! What are you doing in the middle of the road, boy?

Baelfire: I’m sorry. I-I…

Man: Hey, I know you. It’s fine. It’s fine. It was the donkey’s fault. You want a chicken? Or some eggs?

Baelfire: It’s alright, no. I should probably just…

(Rumpelstiltskin appears.)

Rumpelstiltskin: What’s going on?

Man: It’s nothing. It was my fault. I wasn’t looking where I was going. But, he says he’s fine!

Baelfire: I’m fine, Papa. Really.

Rumpelstiltskin: Are you sure, Bae?

Baelfire: Yes. I’m fine.

Rumpelstiltskin: Well, I suppose it won’t happen again.

Baelfire: It won’t.

Man: No. No.

Rumpelstiltskin: What’s that?

(Rumpelstiltskin points down, and everyone’s attention is drawn to Baelfire’s bloody knee.)

Baelfire: It’s nothing.

Man: It’s nothing!

Rumpelstiltskin: Don’t. Bother.

(In a puff of purple smoke, Rumpelstiltskin magically transforms the man into a snail. Balefire and the rest of the villagers watch as Rumpelstiltskin goes to crush the snail.)

Baelfire: No, Papa. No. Please, Papa, don’t. No, Papa! Papa!

(Rumpelstiltskin crushes the snail under his foot.)

–[Real World]–

(David is in Kathryn’s room at the hospital. She is asleep. He leans over to kiss her forehead, but she wakes up.)

David: I’m sorry.

Kathryn: What are you doing?

David: I was trying to kiss you on your forehead. It was meant to be sweet.

Kathryn: Well, thank you. It’s good to see you.

David: Kathryn, I’m sorry. I’m sorry I lied to you. I’m sorry I cheated on you. I’m just… I’m sorry for all of this.

Kathryn: David, it’s okay. You know, what we had… It wasn’t it for you. Maybe for both of us. I can’t blame you for just being the first one to see it.

David: You are, uh… Kind of amazing.

Kathryn: Yeah, I am. Now, go on. Get out of here so I can get some rest.

David: I’m going to give you that kiss on the forehead now.

Kathryn: Knock yourself out.

(He kisses her.)

———–

(At Mary Margaret’s apartment, most of the citizens of Storybrooke are gathered for Mary Margaret’s welcome home party. Mary Margaret and Emma are at the punch bowl watching everyone.)

Granny: Hi!

Archie: Hey. How are you? Would you like some?

MMB: All of these people… Just to welcome me home?

Emma: You’ve got a lot of friends.

MMB: Didn’t feel like that yesterday.

(Mary Margaret leaves to serve drinks.)

MMB: Here you go.

Man: Thank you.

(Off to the side, Henry and August are talking and watching Mr. Gold from afar.)

Henry: How bad was it?

August: Getting caught in his office? Not bad. I played it off.

Henry: What were you looking for? Did you find it?

August: Nope. But I have a feeling it’s going to find me.

(August spots Mary Margaret.)

August: There she is. Why don’t you give her your present?

Henry: Hey. I have something for you.

(Henry hands Mary Margaret a present and a giant card.)

MMB: Well, thank you.

MMB: We’re so glad you didn’t k*ll Misses Nolan…

Henry: It’s from the whole class, and I got you a bell.

MMB: Thank you. Tell everyone I’ll be back soon.

Henry: Okay.

Emma: Hey, Henry, we should get you home before your mom finds out. That won’t be pretty.

(Emma and Henry head for the door. They find David standing on the other side. Emma turns around to look at Mary Margaret, whose face clearly shows disapproval.)

David: Hey, Henry. Leaving already?

Henry: Yeah. Got to get home and do homework.

Emma: She’s kind of tired. I think if you just give it some time…

David: I just wanted to-

Emma: Hey, Henry. Why don’t you head home with David?

Henry: Okay.

Emma: Sorry.

David: Okay.

(David and Henry leave, and Emma shuts the door. Mr. Gold approaches her.)

Mr. Gold: Hard to let him go, isn’t it? Your son.

Emma: Yeah. Pretty much the hardest thing. Speaking of something we weren’t talking about, was it you?

Mr. Gold: Was what me?

Emma: Did you make Kathryn suddenly materialize? Cause it sure played that way to me. Was that the magic you were going to work? Because if you kidnapped that poor, innocent woman, just to let her go-

Mr. Gold: Are you proposing I’m working with Regina, or against her?

Emma: I don’t know. Maybe, diagonally.

Mr. Gold: Well, you keep working on that one. My question’s about something else – what do you know about him?

Emma: Goes by August. He’s a writer. Typewriter wrapped in an enigma, wrapped in stubble. Why?

Mr. Gold: He was poking around my shop today. August Wayne Booth. Clearly a false name. There’s one thing I know about – it’s names.

Emma: Writers go by pseudonyms. What does it matter?

Mr. Gold: You trust him?

Emma: Yeah. A lot more than I trust you.

–[Fairy Tale World]–

(Rumpelstiltskin and Baelfire arrive back at their house. Inside, their maid is cleaning up.)

Rumpelstiltskin: Thank you, Onora. You can fetch our supper now, dearie.

Baelfire: You k*lled that man.

Rumpelstiltskin: Well, you were hurt. Speaking of which…

(Rumpelstiltskin begins to heal Baelfire’s knee, but Baelfire stops him.)

Baelfire: No. I don’t want magic. It’s just a scrape.

Rumpelstiltskin: This will heal it.

Baelfire: So will this.

(Baelfire gets a first aid kit from a cupboard. Rumpelstiltskin sets to mend the knee.)

Rumpelstiltskin: As you wish.

Baelfire: You’re different now. You see it, don’t you? You hurt people all the time.

Rumpelstiltskin: I created a truce in the Ogres w*r, Bae. I walked into the field of battle, and I made it stop. I led the children home. Surely, a man who’s saved a thousand lives-

Baelfire: Is done. A man who’s saved a thousand lives can be done with it. You can stop doing things.

Rumpelstiltskin: I can’t. I need more power so I can protect you.

Baelfire: I wouldn’t need protecting if you didn’t have power.

Rumpelstiltskin: Well, I can’t get rid of it.

Baelfire: Have you tried?

(Rumpelstiltskin pulls out the dagger of the Dark One.)

Rumpelstiltskin: Tried? If someone kills me with this, then they gain the power. Now, you know that, Bae. Is that what you want?

Baelfire: That’s not what I want. I just think there might be other ways to get rid of the power. Have you looked for…

(The maid returns and sees the two of them discussing the dagger.)

Rumpelstiltskin: well, you look for other ways, Bae. But don’t get your hopes up.

Baelfire: Papa… If I find a way for you to get rid of the power… A way that doesn’t k*ll you or hurt me… Would you do it?

Rumpelstiltskin: It’s not possible.

Baelfire: If it was, would you do it? Don’t you miss how it was?

Rumpelstiltskin: Are you really that unhappy, Bae? I can conjure anything you desire. Name it. What do you want?

Baelfire: I want my father.

Rumpelstiltskin: All I want is your happiness, Bae. If you find a way, I’ll do it.

Baelfire: Good.

(Baelfire extends his hand. The two then shake on it.)

Baelfire: The deal is struck.

Rumpelstiltskin: Struck.

–[Real World]–

(Mr. Gold picks the lock to August’s room at the inn. Inside, he finds August’s typewriter on his desk, along with stacks of papers and a donkey shaped paperweight. He moves aside a paper, revealing a drawing of Rumpelstiltskin’s dagger.)

———–

(Sidney is drinking coffee at Granny’s Diner. Emma enters, and sits across from him.)

Emma: Hey, Sidney.

Sidney: Emma, hey. So, things certainly did work out, didn’t they? For… For your friend?

Emma: You told me you could help me with Mary Margaret, and I wanted to believe you. But, eventually, there are things that even a blind Sheriff cannot ignore.

(Emma pulls out the wire tap and places it on the table.)

Sidney: Is that a bug?

Emma: Oh, for God sakes, Sidney. Drop it. You fooled me, you spied on me, and you reported it all back to that sick, crazy woman. I can’t even imagine what she has on you, but it must be something huge.

Sidney: She’s a good Mayor.

Emma: She tried to get Mary Margaret convicted of a m*rder that didn’t even happen. You’re in a lot of trouble. There is a DNA trail in a basement of some house out there, and I’m going to find it. And she’s going to go away.

Sidney: Maybe. But, I wouldn’t bet against her. She’s an amazing woman.

Emma: Do you… Are you in love with her? …Fine. Whatever. Here’s the thing – before you know it, I will have that evidence. And you need to think long and hard. You can either help me, and help yourself, or you’re going to go down with her, too.

———–

(On the main street, August gets on his motorcycle and drives off. Mr. Gold, who is watching from a distance, follows him in his car.)

–[Fairy Tale World]–

(In the forest, several children are play dueling with wooden swords. Rumpelstiltskin and Baelfire cross them.)

Rumpelstiltskin: Hey, why don’t you join in, Bae? I have some business nearby that would bore you.

Baelfire: Alright.

(Rumpelstiltskin heads towards a house up the hill, while Baelfire goes to join the children. However, as he approaches them, the children scatter. He sits on a log by himself, when Morraine joins him.)

Morraine: Baelfire.

Baelfire: Careful, Morraine. You don’t want to be seen with me. I’m dangerous.

Morraine: They’re just scared of your Papa. But I’m not. You won’t let him hurt me. I don’t think he’s so bad anyway. I saw him on the b*ttlefield when he stopped the fighting. It was like a miracle.

Baelfire: Now, he’s getting worse every day. But he said he’ll change back if I find a way. I just don’t know where to look.

Morraine: Reul Ghorm.

Baelfire: What?

Morraine: I heard about it when I was in the trenches. The other soldiers talked about it. Reul Ghorm is an ancient being that rules the night. The original power.

Baelfire: Bigger than Papa, or worse than Papa?

Morraine: Bigger than anything.

(A cr*ck is heard in the background.)

Morraine: He’s coming back. Good luck to you.

(Morraine leaves and Rumpelstiltskin returns.)

Rumpelstiltskin: Your friend didn’t want to say hello?

Baelfire: You frighten them.

Rumpelstiltskin: What is there to be frightened of, Bae? They’ll get over that in time.

Baelfire: You have stains on your boots.

(They look down, where blood can be seen on Rumpelstiltskin’s boots.)

Rumpelstiltskin: Oh, yes, that. Uh, we need a new maid.

Baelfire: Gods, no!

Rumpelstiltskin: She heard us talking about the Kn*fe.

Baelfire: She was mute. She couldn’t tell anyone.

Rumpelstiltskin: Even mutes can draw a picture.

–[Real World]–

(At the convent, August and Mother Superior are talking. August leaves, and Mother Superior encounters Rumpelstiltskin on the step.)

Mr. Gold: Mother Superior. Good afternoon.

Mother Superior: Our rent is paid in full.

Mr. Gold: I’m not here about the rent.

Mother Superior: Well, good day to you, then.

Mr. Gold: Tell me – that man who just left here… Who did he say he was? What did he want?

Mother Superior: I don’t have to tell you that.

Mr. Gold: And I don’t have to not double your rent. What did he want?

Mother Superior: Advice and counsel. He came to town looking for his father after a long separation, and he recently found him.

Mr. Gold: Ah. And a happy reunion has already taken place?

Mother Superior: No. He hasn’t spoken to him yet.

Mr. Gold: And why not?

Mother Superior: Mm, it was a difficult parting. There are many issues to be resolved between them.

Mr. Gold: I see.

–[Fairy Tale World]–

(Baelfire heads to a deserted area of the woods and sits down. He then attempts to summon ‘Reul Ghorm’.)

Baelfire: Reul Ghorm? Are you there? If you can help me, please make yourself known to me.

(The Blue Fairy appears.)

Baelfire: Can you help me?

Blue Fairy: I can help.

Baelfire: How do I know I can trust you?

Blue Fairy: Because there is good magic and dark magic, and I’m on the right side.

Baelfire: You’re a fairy.

Blue Fairy: Oh. And you’re not untouched by magic, are you, child? There’s something dark in your life.

Baelfire: My father. He is the Dark One.

Blue Fairy: Oh. I can’t make him the man he was before, but I can send him someplace where he won’t be able to use his powers.

Baelfire: Not a jail. I want to be with him. Like it used to be.

Blue Fairy: Not a jail, young one, just a place without magic.

Baelfire: But magic is everywhere.

Blue Fairy: In this world, yes. You see, what ails your father is specific to our realm. His powers do not belong here. You must go where you can escape this wretched curse.

Baelfire: Go? We have to leave?

Blue Fairy: Yes. It is the only way. Can you do it? Can you leave everything here behind for the unknown?

Baelfire: If it means I get my father back, then yes.

Blue Fairy: You’re a very good son, Baelfire. You are the part of him that keeps him human. That little light inside of him that still glows. It’s his love for you. Hold out your hand.

(The Blue Fairy tosses him a transparent looking bean.)

Baelfire: What is it?

Blue Fairy: A magic bean. The very last one that is known to our kind. The others got away from us. You just use it wisely, and follow wherever it leads you. It will save you both.

(The Blue Fairy disappears. Baelfire returns home.)

–[Real World]–

(David is waiting outside of a building. When Mary Margaret appears, he approaches her.)

David: Mary Margaret.

(She ignores him.)

David: Please wait. Look, I’ll leave if you want. I… I just think we need to talk.

MMB: So, talk.

David: I need to apologize.

MMB: Yes, you do. Keep going.

David: I didn’t believe you. I didn’t stand with you.

MMB: You know, I will never forget that moment… The moment the world sort of blows you backwards, and the one person you thought would always be there to catch you… He isn’t there.

David: Look at what was going on. It was your jewelry box, your fingerprints, Kn*fe in your apartment-

MMB: It was a setup.

David: And a really good one. I’m human. I fell for it. I’m sorry, but… We have to move forward.

MMB: But we can’t. It’s like something in this world doesn’t want us together.

David: Like what? Dark forces?

MMB: Maybe. I don’t know, but it’s like something just keeps pouring poison between us. And what I don’t want, is to have all of those good memories… Replaced by moments like that. When I looked at you, and I saw that you didn’t believe me…

David: No. I know. I am so sorry.

MMB: I know. I know.

David: But, I love you.

MMB: And that… Is what makes it all so sad.

–[Fairy Tale World]–

(Rumpelstiltskin is spinning straw at his wheel, when Baelfire enters.)

Baelfire: Papa! Papa. I found it. I-I found a way for things to be like they were. I want you to come with me. I can make things right. Have you heard of the Reul Ghorm?

Rumpelstiltskin: The Blue Star. The Blue Fairy? Oh, son, please tell me you didn’t. Fairy magic doesn’t mix well with what I am.

Baelfire: But you promised. She can help us. To take us to a place without magic.

Rumpelstiltskin: A place without magic? I’d be powerless. Weak.

Baelfire: Like everyone else. It wouldn’t matter. We’d be happy.

Rumpelstiltskin: We could be happy here.

Baelfire: Father, please. You’re getting worse. And you promised. This can work. It can. You made a deal with me. Are you backing out?

Rumpelstiltskin: No.

–[Real World]–

(Mr. Gold knocks on Archie’s door. Archie answers.)

Archie: Mr. Gold? Are you here for the rent?

Mr. Gold: Why does everyone ask that?

Archie: Well, because you, uh… Never mind. Would… Would you like to talk?

Mr. Gold: I don’t know.

Archie: Well, um… If you’d like to get something off your chest, please come in.

(The two of them go to sit in Archie’s office.)

Archie: A son? Wow, I-I didn’t know you had a son. How… How old is he?

Mr. Gold: Let’s start with something easier.

Archie: O-Okay. Um, what do you mean to say that you may have found him?

Mr. Gold: Let’s just say, there’s someone acting the way I would expect them to act.

Archie: So, you… So, you recognize him?

Mr. Gold: Maybe. Or, perhaps, I’m just seeing what I want to see. I don’t know.

Archie: Okay, well, I mean, wouldn’t he recognize you?

Mr. Gold: There was conflict. I’m not sure he’s ready for a tear soaked reunion.

Archie: So, he sought you out and he’s hanging back? Maybe, he’s watching to see if he’s welcome. Looking for a sign that all is forgiven.

Mr. Gold: No, no, no. He’s not the one that needs to be… I think he might still be very angry.

Archie: Anger between a parent and a child is the most natural thing in the world.

Mr. Gold: I think he might be here to try to k*ll me.

Archie: Ah. Right. That’s… That’s not.

Mr. Gold: I let him go. I’ve spent my entire life since trying to fix it, and now, he’s finally here. And I just don’t know what to do.

Archie: Be honest. Just tell him what you told me, and ask him for forgiveness. And when you’re face-to-face, you’ll know what to do.

Mr. Gold: Honesty’s never been the best colour on me.

Archie: There’s no other way.

———–
(August is roaming around outside of the cabin in the woods, seemingly searching for something. Mr. Gold appears and confronts him.)

Mr. Gold: I know who you are. And I know what you’re looking for.

August: Well, then… I guess all the lying can stop… Papa.

–[Fairy Tale World]–

(Baelfire and Rumpelstiltskin head through the forest to a clearing.)

Rumpelstiltskin: Where are we going, boy? What kind of world is this we’re going to? What kind of world is without magic?

Baelfire: A better one.

(Baelfire pulls out the magic bean and throws it on the ground. A green vortex forms in the ground.)

Rumpelstiltskin: My gods, boy! It’s like a tornado!

Baelfire: We have to go through it!

Rumpelstiltskin: No, no! I don’t think I can!

Baelfire: We must! It’s the only way!

Rumpelstiltskin: No, no, no, no, no, no! It’s a trick! It’ll tear us apart!

Baelfire: It’s not! It’ll be okay! I promise!

(Baelfire gets pulled down towards the vortex. Rumpelstiltskin hangs on to him.)

Baelfire: Papa! We have to go through! What are you doing? Papa! It won’t stay open long! Let go!

Rumpelstiltskin: I can’t! I can’t!

Baelfire: Papa, please! It’s the only way we can be together!

Rumpelstiltskin: No, Bae! I can’t!

Baelfire: Papa, please!

Rumpelstiltskin: I can’t!

Baelfire: You coward! You promised! Don’t break our deal!

Rumpelstiltskin: I have to!

Baelfire: Papa!

(Rumpelstiltskin can no longer hang on, and Baelfire gets sucked into the vortex. The vortex disappears, leaving only a hole in the ground behind.)

Rumpelstiltskin: Bae? Bae! No, no, no, no, no. No, no, Bae. I’m sorry, Bae!

(He begins to start digging.)

Rumpelstiltskin: I want to come with you! I want to come with you, Bae! I want to come with you! Bae! Bae! Bae!

–[Real World]–

(Mr. Gold and August are still outside of the cabin in the woods.)

Mr. Gold: You were right, Bae. You were always right. I was a coward, and I never should’ve let you go. I know it’s little consolation, but… I just want you to know, that ever since you left, ever since you crossed the barriers of time and space, in every waking moment… I’ve been looking for you. And now that I’ve finally found you… I know I can’t make up for the past, for the lost time. All I can do, is to ask you to do what you’ve always done. And that’s to be the bigger man… And forgive me. I’m so sorry, son. I’m so sorry, Bae.

(August goes to hug him, and Mr. Gold returns the embrace.)

Mr. Gold: Oh, my boy. My beautiful boy. Can you truly, truly forgive me?

August: I forgive you, Papa.

Mr. Gold: You were looking for the Kn*fe.

August: I thought that if you still had it, it would mean that you hadn’t changed.

Mr. Gold: Well, let’s go and find it and see.

(The two of them go to a spot in the woods. August begins digging with a shovel.)

Mr. Gold: I buried it here shortly after Emma came to town. Things were changing. Didn’t want to take the chance of Regina finding it.

August: Of course.

Mr. Gold: It should be right about here, son. Here. Look, look.

(Mr. Gold picks up the dagger out of the hole, which is wrapped in a cloth. He unwraps the dagger and hands it to August.)

Mr. Gold: I want you to take it. Destroy it, the way I know you always wanted to. I found you, and I don’t need it anymore. I chose it once. Now, I choose you.

(August takes the dagger and examines it.)

August: It’s remarkable.

(August holds up the dagger and points it at Mr. Gold.)

August: By the power of the darkness, I command thee… Dark One.

Mr. Gold: You’re trying to control me?

August: I command thee, Dark One!

Mr. Gold: You’re not my son. You’re not Baelfire.

August: Papa, why would you say that? I’m just trying to use your power to help us.

Mr. Gold: Enough! It’s over, Booth. Or whoever you are. My son would never try to use me. And he would know, that this Kn*fe cannot harness any magic in this world, because there is no magic in this world. That’s why he chose this place. He didn’t want me…

(Mr. Gold grabs the dagger from August.)

Mr. Gold: Dabbling.

August: So, why bury a useless Kn*fe?

Mr. Gold: Oh, I wouldn’t say it was useless. It still cuts through flesh rather nicely. It’s about time you start answering some questions, sunshine. Why the theatrics? Why didn’t you just come to me?

August: I needed you to work for it. I needed you to want it so bad, you would ignore what your eyes were seeing. Do I even look like him at all?

Mr. Gold: How do you know about this Kn*fe?

August: I hear things.

(Mr. Gold points the dagger at August, until he ends up backed up against a tree.)

Mr. Gold: No one here knows about this Kn*fe.

August: No one here remembers.

Mr. Gold: And, yet, you do. You’re from there, aren’t you? From my world.

August: The fact that you’re asking the question means you know the answer.

Mr. Gold: Well, now that that’s settled…

(Mr. Gold lunges at August, pinning him against the tree behind him. He holds the dagger to his throat.)

Mr. Gold: How about my other question? Who told you about me and the Kn*fe?

August: A little fairy.

Mr. Gold: Why did you want it? If you know who I am, then you know who I am. The chances of you surviving this little encounter are pretty slim. So, why take the risk?

August: Because I’ll die anyway.

Mr. Gold: What?

August: I’m sick. I’m sick, and I need magic. I was going to get the saviour to believe. But that woman… I don’t think I’m going to make it long enough to see that happen.

(Mr. Gold removes the dagger from August’s throat.)

Mr. Gold: She trusts you – it might be enough. Try again.

August: You’re going to let me live?

Mr. Gold: You’re going to die either way. This way, at least I might get something out of it.

–[Fairy Tale World]–

(Rumpelstiltskin is in a clearing in the forest.)

Rumpelstiltskin: Reul Ghorm! Show yourself!

(The Blue Fairy appears.)

Rumpelstiltskin: How do I follow him?

Blue Fairy: You had the way, you didn’t take it. And there are no more magic beans.

Rumpelstiltskin: That’s a lie.

Blue Fairy: We don’t do that.

Rumpelstiltskin: A lie.

Blue Fairy: You will never make it to that world.

Rumpelstiltskin: Oh, I’ll find a way. There must be other paths. A realm jumper?

Blue Fairy: No.

Rumpelstiltskin: A time turner?

Rumpelstiltskin: A mage?

Blue Fairy: There is no-

Rumpelstiltskin: A curse?

Rumpelstiltskin: Ah! So, it is a curse.

Blue Fairy: Of course you would think of a curse instead of a blessing. Your magic is limited by its own rotten core, Rumpelstiltskin. Anyway, it can’t be done. Not without a great price.

Rumpelstiltskin: I’ve already paid a great price.

Blue Fairy: So, you’d be willing to sacrifice this world for the next? Because that’s how great the price is.

Rumpelstiltskin: Well, what do you think?

Blue Fairy: Well, then I’ll comfort myself knowing that such a curse is beyond your abilities.

Rumpelstiltskin: Oh, for now. But I’ve got all the time in the world. I will do nothing else, I will love nothing else. I will find a way. You took my son, but I will get him back.

Blue Fairy: I didn’t take your son.

Rumpelstiltskin: You took my son, but I will get him back!

Blue Fairy: You drove him away.

(He swipes at her with his dagger. The Blue Fairy disappears.)

Rumpelstiltskin: I will find him! I will find him! I will find him…

–[Real World]–

(Emma arrives back at the station, where she finds Regina waiting for her.)

Regina: Congratulations, Sheriff Swan. There’s about to be a big break in your case. You just got yourself a confession. But, I want you to listen to the whole explanation, so you understand why this happened.

Emma: Oh, I’ll hang on every word you say.

Regina: Sidney. You can come in now.

(Sidney enters.)

Regina: Tell her what you told me.

Sidney: It was me. I confess. I abducted Kathryn, and I held her in the basement of an abandoned summer home by the lake. I bribed a lab tech to get me the heart from the hospital, and I used that same person to doctor the lab results.

Regina: And the other thing.

Sidney: I…borrowed some skeleton keys from Regina and…planted the Kn*fe in your apartment.

Regina: My keys. Can’t help but feel personally violated about that part.

Emma: I am supposed to believe you did this for why now?

Sidney: I was going to find her after the conviction, be a hero. Then, get the inside track on the biggest story to ever hit this town. I’d get my job back. Plus, a novel, and a movie, and… I don’t know. It sounds crazy now.

Emma: I don’t know about crazy. But false, yes. False as hell.

Sidney: I have maps to where the house is. You’ll find chains in the basement. Lots of fingerprints, I’m sure – hers and mine. But, I didn’t hurt her.

Regina: The man has obviously suffered some kind of mental break. He clearly hasn’t been himself for a while.

Emma: Yeah. It’s like his words aren’t his at all.

Regina: Wow. You are so sold on your own rush to judgment that you can’t even see the truth anymore.

Emma: A word in the hallway, please.

(Regina and Emma meet in the hall alone.)

Emma: Well, that’s the biggest load of crap I’ve ever heard.

Regina: I’m pretty sure that’s not true.

Emma: That poor man. I know you are behind all this. I understand that you own the game, and that you’ve set the board so that no one else can win. But I am about to start playing an entirely different game. I don’t care about what happens to you. I don’t care about what happens to me. All I care about, is what happens to my kid. And you are going to leave him alone.

Regina: Am I?

Emma: Uh-uh. I’m talking. You’re a sociopath, lady. You tried to take away someone that I love. And now… I’m going to take away someone you love. I am taking back my son.

–[End]–