01x10 - The Perfect Couple

All episode transcripts for the TV show "The O.C.". Aired August 2003 - April 2007.*
Watch/Buy Amazon

A troubled youth becomes embroiled in the lives of a close-knit group of people in the wealthy, upper-class neighborhood of Newport Beach, Orange County, California.

01x10 - The Perfect Couple

Post by bunniefuu »

Opening scene - The pool house at night - Marissa is lying on the bed breathing heavily looking up, Ryan moves into the sh*t and moves down and kisses her. they begin to heavily make out.

Marissa: (Ryan kisses her neck) Ticklish

Ryan: (whispers) sorry (he slowly moves his hand to go up her top, she stops him with her hand)

Marissa: hey, what time do you have?

Ryan: (still kissing her) mmm almost eleven, what time do you have to get back at your dads

Marissa: (smiling) mmm soon

Ryan: (mumbles while kissing her) how soon

Marissa: (laughs) now

(they kiss a bit more then Marissa sits up and slides to the end of the bed, beginning to put her shoes on)

Ryan: (grabs her arm) you can't call (almost kissing again) say you'll be late (they kiss again, Ryan grabs her shoes out of her hands and holds them up)

Marissa: I'm already late! (Ryan falls back on the bed with her shoes, holding them either side of his head) it's a school night

(laughing, she moves on top of Ryan and lays on his chest)

Ryan: it's to bad you don't still live next door

Marissa: (lays her head on his chest) yeah but then I'd have to talk to my mom

Ryan: (stroking her head) you haven't talked to her

Marissa: (sighs) no...she keeps tryin a call me but there's absolutely no way that I'll

Ryan: hey

Marissa: sorry

Ryan:...maybe this weekend we could spend a whole night together (Marissa raises her head to look at him) you know we could go out, we could ah do something, finally have our first official date, no school, no parents, just us

Marissa: (huge smile) Saturday night

(they start kissing again, there is a knock at the door)

Kirsten: (opens the door) Hey Ryan Sandy's stuck at the ahhh ooh my (she sees Ryan and Marissa making out) god I'm-I'm so sorry

Marissa: Hey...Kirsten

Kirsten: Hey Marissa I-I didn't know that you had uh-uh-g uh company

Marissa: yeah well um I was just-gonna go (to Ryan) so uh see ya

Ryan: (waves) bye

Marissa: g'night (leaves)

Kirsten: drive safely...its never happened with Seth

Theme Song - California by Phantom Planet

Cohen house the next morning - Kirsten & Sandy are in the kitchen

Sandy: you walked in on em

Kirsten: well at least I knocked

Sandy: Ryan & Marissa Cooper, I knew it, didn't I tell ya

Kirsten: no

Sandy: no?

Kirsten: Sandy... maybe you should...talk to him

Sandy: about what

Kirsten: y'know sex

Sandy: ohh, sounds like Ryan knows what he's doin

Kirsten: I mean sex in the house

Sandy: right, cause we obviously don't believe in that

Kirsten: we don't?

Sandy: well based on my recent experience or lack thereof I, I'd have to say no, no we don't

Kirsten: hey I'm not the one that is coming home from the office at midnight

Sandy: oh, your comin home at 11:45

Kirsten: well I might be coming home earlier if your firm wasn't suing my company

Sandy: well look, maybe we'll get lucky and settle at the conference tomorrow

Kirsten: (grinning) maybe, we'll get lucky tonight

Sandy: ooooh I'd settle for that...what time

Kirsten: how bout 8

Sandy: eeh

Kirsten: 9?

Sandy: 9:30?

Kirsten: if you are not home by ten o'clock

Sandy: yeah

Kirsten: I'm gonna start without you

Sandy: ooh (they kiss)

(Ryan walks in)

Ryan: morning

Kirsten: (clears throat) hi

Sandy: we're all very proud

Ryan: uh, thanks, and sorry, I just wanted to say sorry, about last night

(Seth walks in)

Seth: sorry about what man what'd I miss? who'd ya hurt?

Kirsten: (whispering to Sandy) maybe you should talk to him

Ryan: I just appreciate you guys being so cool about everything

Seth: Ryan, Ryan cool about what

Sandy: (to Kirsten) so, ill see you tonight

Ryan: (to Seth) we should get goin to

(Ryan & Sandy have left)

Seth: wait, hang on I'm not goin anywhere until somebody tells me what happened last night, mom would you please fill me in (Kirsten leaves) MOM i, oh I get it, I'm just here for the comic relief

CUT TO: Harbor school - Ryan and Seth are walking

Seth: so what exactly did my mom catch you guys doing?

Ryan: nothing

Seth: nothing huh, so you guys haven't (makes motions with his hands)

Ryan: no, we haven't even had our first date yet

Seth: last night doesn't count

Ryan: nah, we're goin out Saturday night

Seth: good, great...but you-you have before right (Ryan gives him a look) okay, wow that's what I thought I just didn't want to jump to conclusions because my experience is sorta limited (pause) and

Ryan: and what

Seth: was it awe-some

Ryan: which time?

Seth: ah (stunned) there were -there were uh I don't know, uh how many-how many times were there

Ryan: same girl or different girl?

Seth: (mouth open) there were...different girls, how many-how many different girls w-were there (Ryan begins to work it out) I have to sit down

CUT TO: Summer & Marissa walking

Summer: so, what happened, I want details

Marissa: nothing happened

Summer: what's his problem?

Marissa: there is no problem, I just don't know if I'm ready yet

Summer: but Luke already took care of that awkward painful part

Marissa: yeah and look how well that turned out. Look Ryan and I, we're still getting to know each other. I mean we're going on our first date Saturday

Summer: well that should be romantic, sorry Coop, it's just what does Chino know about a date. where he's from they don't even have a pf chenks (?)

CUT BACK TO: Seth & Ryan talking

Seth: So when you lost your virginity I was -I was playing magic gathering

Ryan: you...still play magic

Seth: yeah but not as much

(Marissa & Summer walk over to them)

Marissa: hey

Seth: hey

Marissa: what're you guys talking about?

Seth: nothing. Ryan was just telling me about your-your big date, he's got a whole thing happening, it sounds amazing

Marissa: wow, there's a whole thing happening

(Ryan looks confused)

Seth: yeah, but shhh it's a suprise. its gonna be the best date ever, okay I have to go. Summer walk me to bio

Summer: I can walk myself

Seth: great then you can walk me to (they leave)

Marissa: (huge smile) best date ever huh (kisses Ryan on the cheek)

CUT TO: Sandy & Rachel

Rachel: (on a computer) the ecological risk assessment backs up our claim that the land Caleb Nichol is planning to develop should be considered as wetlands

Sandy: ahh great-great we'll get into that tomorrow

Rachel: whad'ya got tonight a hot date

Rachel: Sandy Cohen you are cheating on me, with your wife

Sandy: I'm tryin

Rachel: what is it, your anniversary?

Sandy: uh oh jus, y'know we haven't seen each other in a while so y'know we thought that we'd uh

Rachel: go on a date, why not, good idea, after all it's not like we have our big settlement conference tomorrow, where the fate of orange county's environment hangs in the balance

Sandy: alright, a date'll even be better after the conference. less stress

CUT TO: Kirsten at the Newport group

Kirsten: Dad good news, ohh I'm sorry I didn't know you (sees Julie with Caleb) JULIE (suprised)

Julie: Kirsten, you're father and I were just talking about you (kisses Kirsten on the cheek) this man just single handedly saved the children's hospital benefit

Caleb: I did no such thing

Julie: oh, he's so modest. I had just lost the Buckley yacht when he graciously agreed to let me host the event on his

Kirsten: the man just gives and gives hm. I-I didn't know that you were organising the children's hospital benefit

Julie: well, I wasn't going to but then I thought its time I stopped dwelling on my own problems and got back to focusing on the needs of others, right (Kirsten fake smiles) so, must be off. Cal (kisses his cheek) I owe you big time. Bye Kirsten

Julie: Bye Julie

Caleb: hmm she is something, isn't she

Kirsten: she's that! you know you are now the official sponsor of the Julie Cooper come back tour

Caleb: it's for charity, besides after all the bad press her husbands been getting. this can't hurt the company to be involved in a good cause. so what was your good news?

Kirsten: we can have that working dinner after all

Caleb: Sandy cancelled your date

Kirsten: they have some last minute prep work to do on the meeting tomorrow

Caleb: by they, you mean Sandy an

Kirsten: Rachel, yes

Caleb: and you say she's attractive

Kirsten: DAD

Caleb: and he got in at midnight last night

Kirsten: I trust him!

Caleb: oh, well you know what they say; the only man a girl should trust is her father

Kirsten: they're working together, that's all...I suggest we do the same, ill see you later

CUT TO: Harbor school - Ryan, Seth & Anna are eating lunch

Anna: I don't understand why you just don't take her to dinner an a movie, it's a classic combination

Ryan: because somebody promised her the best date ever

Seth: Ryan, I went ahead an I did a little recon on your behalf I was extremely stealth and I spoke to Summer, okay, an I asked her what would Marissa wanna do on a date, what would she really enjoy and she told me...she didn't know

Anna: (sarcastic) how helpful!

Seth: BUT Summers three favourite activities are shopping tanning and waxing, maybe there's something there man, they're best friends, use that

Anna: and here I thought Summer was superficial

Ryan: I have no car no money, whatever I do it's just gonna disappoint her

Anna: what'd you usually do on dates?

Ryan: I've never actually been on one

Seth: hey hey I thought you; you just told me that you had...

Ryan: yeah, yeah I've hung out with girls, we just never really...went-out

Seth: Oh, got it!

Ryan: yeah I'm gonna oh ah go to class

Seth: I'll keep workin on it

Ryan: yeah, you've done enough

Anna: Bye (to Seth) come on

(they are now walking)

Summer: hey what do you think Summers three favourite movies are?

Anna: um battle ship tempkin (?) seventh seal and shore, definitely

Seth: what

Anna: could we just like not talk about Summer for five minutes, we talk about her all the time

Seth: no we don't, we don't we talk about all sorts of things all the time, we talk about music, we talk about sailing, what

Anna: Right about how you named your boat after her how you made her a b*rned CD with all your favourite songs with the word summer in it

Seth: Wow, I'm sorry I was under the impression that we were friends who I don't know talk about our-our thoughts and stuff

Anna: we are, so I guess... you're finally hearing some of mine...I'm gonna go back for desert

CUT TO: Jimmy's house - Marissa walks through the door

Marissa: Hey dad, I'm (turns around and sees her mom on the sofa) home

Julie: Hi sweetie

Marissa: what're you doing here?

Jimmy: your mother was in the neighbourhood and she thought she'd uh stop by and see how we're doin

Marissa: how are we doing, mom

Jimmy: Marissa why don't you come over here and -and talk to us okay, come on over and sit down

(she does but doesn't look happy about it)

Julie: I'm throwing a party. I'm hosting the children's hospital benefit this Saturday, they're trying to build a new wing for the children...and I would love it if you could both be there. your fathers already agreed

Marissa: No, no way

Julie: Marissa, honey. this party is a chance for us to show the community that we still belong, that we're still a family. yes we've suffered some set backs your fathers business in particular, but its important for us to let everybody know the Cooper family is back

Marissa: why do you care what other people think?

Jimmy: look Marissa no one has fewer nice things to say about your mother then me, (to Julie) no offence, but she's been pouring her heart out to me and I think you're gonna wanna hear what she has to say

Julie: Marissa, I am so sorry... for the way I handled things at the hospital (sincerely) I was scared... and I was wrong, everything I cared about was falling apart and I was blaming everybody but myself...I just want us to feel like a family again. now I know it's gonna take some time and I'm gonna need your help, will you help me (holds hand out to Marissa, Marissa takes it)

CUT TO: the pool house -night - Ryan is on a laptop and there is a knock

Ryan: wow knocking, IT'S OPEN

(Marissa comes in)

Marisa: (sighs) bad news, I know you had Saturday night all planned but something's come up

Ryan: oh, that sucks (looking relieved, lol)

Marissa: we're gonna be spending a romantic night on a yacht for this charity even hosted by...my mom

Ryan: your mom-your mom hates me

Marissa: no. no she doesn't hate you she just doesn't know you, but now she'll have her chance

Ryan: bu, we had a date Saturday night, I mean there was a whole thing happening

Marissa: I know but my mom came by today and apologised to me and my dad and it seems like she's changed...hey if my parents got back together and my dad found a new job, then my life could go back to normal again

Ryan: well maybe I should stay away for a little while give you guys

Marissa: look first date stuff, candy flowers that's easy

Ryan: candy, flowers right

(Marissa holds his face)

Marissa: (smiling) but its times like these when a girl needs her boyfriend the most

Ryan: (stunned) boyfriend

Marissa: well, I mean, aren't we

Ryan: (smiling) I-I-I guess, I've just never been a boyfriend before

Marissa: but you've had girlfriends

Ryan: yeah, no not girlfriends just girls, you know, I've (Marissa looks at him) your mom, Saturday night, cant wait!

Marissa: great! (kisses his cheek)

CUT TO: Cohen kitchen - the next morning, Seth is talking to the house keeper

Seth: the fact is yes I admit it I occasionally talk about Summer, maybe I even talk about her to much but it's not really the point is it

(the house keeper looks at him as if he's crazy and walks off, Ryan comes in)

Seth: hey. so get this uh Anna thinks all I ever do is talk about Summer...I mean that's crazy right

Ryan: you want me to lie

Seth: I'm that guy. (Ryan looks at him) dude how can I be that guy, I hate that guy. well then no wonder Summer doesn't have any interest in me cause apparently all I do is I talk about Summer, although you'd think she'd like that

Ryan: (swallows juice) you're doing it again

Seth: right

CUT TO: Kirsten is in the backyard, Sandy sits next to her

Sandy: I'm sorry I had to cancel our date last night

Kirsten: what time did you get home?

Sandy: almost two

Kirsten: hm what was the last minute crisis?

Sandy: as opposing council you know I'm not at liberty to say

Kirsten: is Rachel's boyfriend as understanding as I am

Sandy: Rachel doesn't have a boyfriend

Kirsten: mmm, go figure. you know some people who don't like their life, make work their life

Sandy: well that's not me. an ill tell you this if our settlement conference goes well today, I could be home by six

Kirsten: is that a bribe councilor

(they kiss just as Ryan is going back to the pool house)

Sandy: hey

(Ryan smiles, waves and goes inside)

Kirsten: did you have the talk

Sandy: nah, I like to lead by example (kisses her, she laughs)

CUT TO: Harbor school - Ryan & Seth are walking in the corridor

Seth: you and Julie Cooper trapped on a boat huh

Ryan: yeah

Seth: can't wait to see how that one goes

Ryan: I don't really have a choice, since she's my girlfriend

Seth: what, girlfriend. I thought that you didn't do girlfriends, I mean you did em (motions with his hands) but you, you know what I'm sayin

Ryan: I don't, and this is not a good way to start, at least you'll be there

Seth: no I won't, who would I bring I can't take Summer or.. I could do you think she would go, I don't know (Ryan looks at him) I'm doing it again

Ryan: or you know who you could ask

(they both watch Anna who is at her locker)

Seth: I could take a friend, interesting (walks over to Anna) Okay I'm never gonna mention Summers name to you again, except for that. from now on all you and I are gonna discuss are things that we both have in common like how do you feel about Newport charity events huh

Anna: I hate them

Seth: me too, so what'd ya say you come with me to one we'll hang out and we'll just quietly mock people

Anna: is Summer gonna be there?

Seth: I don't know, who cares. if anything happens between me and Summer you will not hear about it from me, okay I promise, on our friendship

Anna: (smiling) kay

CUT TO: Sandy, Caleb, Kirsten & Rachel in the meeting for the balboa heights. Sandy & Rachel are on one side of the table, and Caleb & Kirsten are on the opposite side

Rachel: obviously the US fish and wildlife services ecological risk assessment asserts that the land adjacent to the wetlands should be considered wetlands as well

Caleb: well, why stop there councilor, why not include the land adjacent to the land adjacent to the wetlands

Rachel: Mr. Nichol I'm sure your attourney here has already explained that it's only a matter of time before the state acquires the land by eminent domain

Kirsten: It took the state five years to purchase the Balboa wetlands

Caleb: let's...cut to the chase shall we, how much is the land trust offering me for Balboa heights

(Sandy writes down a figure and slides it over to Caleb)

Caleb: Mr. Cohen I was beginning to wonder about your involvement in all of this (he looks at the figure) thankyou all for coming (gets up from his seat) this meeting is adjourned

Kirsten: where are you going?

Caleb: well, I mean THATS it, that's your whole dog and pony show...I'm disappointed, what have you two been doing (Sandy looks confused) I mean Kiki tells me that you've been in the office alone (Kirsten looks angry) together every night till, two in the morning?

Rachel: feel free to counter Mr. Nichol

Caleb: (to Sandy) why is she doing all the talking? are you just here to ensure that your firm makes the early edition again...father and son in-law fight for the heights

Sandy: I gotta tell ya Cal I've dealt with alot a shady characters in my line of work but I've never seen anyone stoop as low as you...you'll poison anything, the air, the water, even your daughters marriage as long as you profit

Caleb: you've ben living off my profits

Sandy: if you think I'm bought and paid for (packs up, stands up and puts his briefcase on the desk) you just wait till I get ya on the stand, don't let my silence here mislead ya, I'm takin you down.(to Kirsten) councilor

(Rachel follows Sandy out, Kirsten looks shocked/annoyed)

Caleb: (to Kirsten) I think I hit a nerve

(Kirsten just sits there)

CUT TO: Julie's house - Marissa is in her room looking for something to wear Saturday. Ryan is with her.

Marissa: I forgot I had this dress

Ryan: it happens to me all the time (falling back on the bed)

Marissa: my mom bought it for me...seems appropriate

Ryan: you know...I think your mom would understand if you told her you didn't wanna do this

Marissa: except I do (sits down with him)

Ryan: right...that's what I meant, uhhh Marissa this event is important and on a yacht and whenever I go to one of these things somebody (Marissa is smiling) gets into a fight

Marissa: you're gonna be fine (leans forward to kiss him)

(knocking on the door)

Julie: Ryan! hi...oooh it's so nice to see you in your room again, you could sleep here tonight if you want

Marissa: uh, it's ok...but thanks

Julie: just...thought id ask (sees the dress in Marissa hands) oooh I love this dress! you remember when we bought it (laughs) we had that amazing lunch in Beverly Hills (to Ryan) we saw Catherine Zeta Jones

Marissa: yeah, I remember

Julie: so much fun (smiling from the memory)...well we should get to the ship and help out uh honey will you check and see if Caitlyn's ready

(Marissa looks at Ryan)

Marissa: uhh ok, sure (leaves)

Julie: so uh I know that you and I haven't always seen eye to eye...but I wanna say that I'm sorry, you've ben there for Marissa you really care about her I see that now and I'm hoping that this party will be a chance for us to start fresh, celebration of a new beginning hmm?

(Ryan looks confused/unsure)

Ryan: I don't really like boats (half smiles)

Julie: (sincerely) please

Ryan: ...ok (smiles)

Julie: thankyou (hugs Ryan)

(Marissa comes back)

Marissa: Hey (sees them hugging and smiles)

Julie: well let's get to the boat huh. come on (leaves)

(Marissa smiles at Ryan as he walks passed her)

CUT TO: Harbor school - Seth & Anna are walking

Seth: I can't believe the lit mag won't publish my limericks, that's censorship

Anna: awwww (pats him on the arm)

Seth: its censorship!

Anna: (laughs) I'll organise a protest immediately

Seth: fine, something involving a bra burning please

Anna: ewwww

(Summer is behind them)

Summer: COHEN!

Seth: hey, what're you still doin here

Summer: detention

Seth: ah, you live a hard life Summer

Summer: there was a Paul Frank sale I figured that's more important than the fall of the Ming dynasty, I mean what am I spose to learn. that opium is gnarly

(Seth smiles)

Anna: right because there is no lesson there

Summer: are you even making fun of me cause I can't tell

Anna: oh, most of the time Summer, you do my job for me!

(Seth tries not to laugh)

Summer: again, not tracking uh (confused)

(Anna rolls her eyes)

Summer: so Cohen I was wondering if you could catch me up in history tomorrow

Seth: ah I-I can't until Sunday...I have a...charity thing tomorrow

Summer: the thing for the children's hospital

Seth: yeah

Summer: (suprised) you're going to that

Seth: ah we both are (motions to Anna)

Anna: mm hmm

Summer: (looks hurt) you and her

Seth: me and Anna

Anna: which...is my name by the way

Summer: I'm going to

Seth: hey, well alright then ill see you there

Summer: infact I'm going with him (walks between Seth and Anna purposely bumping her) CHIP! hey (grabs his hand and walks off with him)

Seth: huh, she's going with him (Anna gives him a look) I don't care

CUT TO: Cohen house at night - Kirsten & Ryan are in the kitchen, Sandy walks in

Kirsten: hey there's pot roast in the um (motions)

Sandy: I ate

Kirsten: with Rachel?

Sandy: (angry) what was that today?

Kirsten: I'm sorry...he jus

Sandy: if you have a problem with Rachel and me you should come to me

Kirsten: Sandy your never here...who am I gonna talk to if I don't talk to my dad...Seth?

Sandy: (upset) we're adults with demanding jobs you don't go runnin off to your daddy! if that's to hard then go give Jimmy a call

Kirsten: (glaring) its so nice talking to you! (leaves)

(Ryan is in the background with the trash)

Sandy: don't ever get married (sighs) (walks over to him)

so how's everything going with your um...relationship. which I need to talk to you about you know at some point

Ryan: good I guess, good, it's just...hard

Sandy: really. 17 years later... it doesn't get any easier (shrugs)

Ryan: it's her mom really

Sandy: in-laws

Ryan: mm

Sandy: well if you figure it out, (shakes head) let me know

(they both smile, Sandy pats him on the shoulder)

Ryan: (leaving) goodluck

Sandy: (leaving) ugh, thankyou

CUT TO: Ryan putting the trash out, he hears a car door then looks down and sees Caleb ringing Julie's door bell. Julie walks out and kisses him, then Caleb goes inside Julie looks up and sees Ryan watching. Julie looks worried then goes inside. Ryan pulls back so he can't be seen, he looks confused

CUT TO: the pool house the next day - Marissa walks in the door, wearing the dress from earlier, Ryan is in a suit

Marisa: hey

Ryan: hi! (he walks over the bed to get to her quicker, instead of going around, he kisses her - aww) just got to uh...put on my good pair of shoes

Marissa: I know this isn't exactly the date you had planned, but I really appreciate it. you couldn't have done better with my mom yesterday

(Ryan's smile fades) she's like... a different person. who knows I mean maybe if everything goes well tonight then... (Ryan comes and sits next to her on the bed) (huge smile) I'm really happy! which never use to be an accomplishment...and not just about my parents

Ryan: we're gonna be late
CUT TO: Cohen's front door, Seth opens it and Anna is there

Seth: yo

Anna: what up homes

Seth: chillin

Anna: aight (winks)

(Seth motions with his head for her to come in, she walks passed him)

Seth: what's that smell?

Anna: perfume!

Seth: smells like woodchips (Anna looks at him) in a rose garden...roses

(Anna looks around)

Anna: so...this is your crib, this is where all the magic happens

Seth: well if by magic you're referring to the card game then sadly, yes

Anna: you have a hot tub (motioning outside)

Seth: mm hmm

Anna: do you ever use it

Seth: hot tubs for the hoes I usually hang in the grado (?)

(Ryan & Marissa walk in)

Marissa: hey guys

Anna: hi

Marissa: (to Ryan) so I'm just gonna run to the girl's room, it's down the hall right?

Ryan: yeah

Anna: I gotta go to (hands Seth her purse)

Seth: right cause girls can't pee alone (Ryan looks at him) what its Anna I could'a said pop a squat in front of her if I wanted to

Ryan: sometimes I think you talk just to make sounds

Seth: well sometimes I do

Ryan: (sighs) so Anna looks good

Seth: mm, tonight should be fun, there's gonna be a raffle, the only thing more fun then a raffle is-is anything really

(Kirsten comes in)

Kirsten: you guys ready

Seth: the girls are uh peeing

Kirsten: Seth don't say pee

Ryan: where's Sandy?

Kirsten: don't ask

CUT TO: Sandy & Rachel working on the case

Sandy: question

Rachel: hey (motions to food) early bird special

Sandy: I'm gonna soldier on, try and get outta here at a decent hour

Rachel: mm, right well not all of us have cocktail parties to go to on yachts (stretches back revealing her stomach)

Sandy: (notices) right um...so Caleb won't sell no suprise there. onto plan B

Rachel: what's plan B?

Sandy: I'm workin on it

Rachel: come to the floor Sandy, everything makes more sense on the floor. we have got padtai on the floor

Sandy: we got work to do

Rachel: which is why we must refuel

Sandy: (considering) you got any dumplings (Rachel holds them up) I'm powerless before dumplings

Rachel: go with gravity man

(Sandy takes the dumplings and sits on the floor next to Rachel)

CUT TO: The yacht - Marissa & Ryan are arriving, Julie & Jimmy greet them

(At the same time)

Julie: hi, your here

Jimmy: hey

Marissa: hey mom (hugs Julie)

Jimmy: (shaking Ryan's hand) how're you doin?

Ryan: good

Marissa: hi Caity

Ryan: hey Caitlyn

Caitlyn: (cold) hi Ryan

Julie: uh Caitlyn doesn't trust new people but Ryan is very trustworthy (smiles)

Jimmy: (off screen) Marissa, sweetheart reverend Donahue wants to say hello

(Ryan looks up and sees Caleb on the upper deck with some woman, Julie sees him looking)

Marissa: (off screen) ok daddy

Photographer: can I get a photo of the Cooper family

(at the same time)

Marissa: (off screen) totally, yes

Jimmy: yeah that'd be great, come on let's do it. Jules?

Julie: yes of course, Riviera magazine. it's very exciting

(Julie is standing next to Marissa, Marissa is standing behind Caitlyn & Jimmy is on the other side of them)

Julie: Ryan, why don't you join us?

Ryan: no...it's for your family

Photographer: say cheese

Jimmy: oops...I didn't say cheese

CUT TO: Kirsten & Caleb

Caleb: (off screen) hey Kiki

Kirsten: hey dad (kisses him on the cheek)

Caleb: where's the sandman

CUT TO: Seth & Anna

Seth: those earrings are hypnotising me

Anna: I know they're kinda makin me sea sick (pulls them out)

Caleb: there he is, built like a pipe cleaner but lookin sharp

Seth: hey (hugs him) uh same-same to you. I don't know what that means

(Anna laughs)

Caleb: (to Seth about Anna) and who's this little fire cr*cker

Seth: ah, this is my date (Anna looks at him) my-my-my friend Anna

Caleb: clearly she needs no introduction

Anna: very nice to meet you sir (shakes his hand) Seth said you were scary but (Seth hits her with his elbow) I see an inner sweetness

(Seth mouths 'I didnt say that')

Caleb: I like your moxy

(Anna laughs)

Seth: mm suddenly I wanna (couldn't catch the rest)

CUT TO: Summer & Chip

Chip: the ocean is like, so vast, like endless, I feel so

Summer: insignificant (Chip nods) go figure. you know I'm thirsty

Chip: do you wanna go to the bar?

Summer: yeah you can, yeah thanks (Chip leaves)

(Summer watches Seth & Anna with Caleb & Kirsten)

CUT TO: Inside the yacht, Ryan is getting a drink. Julie comes up to him

Julie: (to the woman next to Ryan) excuse me - hi Ryan

Ryan: good party

Julie: thankyou...and thanks for not telling Marissa

Ryan: she's pretty excited about you maybe getting back together with her dad...you may be ok with lying to Marissa, but not me

Julie: (half smiles) this is my life, my daughter

Ryan: my girlfriend

Julie: Ryan...stay out of this. it's none of your business

(Ryan walks away)

CUT TO: Seth & Anna at the front of the yacht laughing Summer is watching them. Marissa walks up to Summer

Marissa: hey, how goes it with Chip?

Summer: oh, well he's suprised that the ocean is big, smoke another beer chip

Marissa: wow, someone's in a good mood

Summer: what is Seth Cohen doing with tinkerbell? she's from Pittsburgh that's like the 909 of the east

Marissa: Anna's cool

Summer: she's a little scammer, first thing she does is go after Caleb Nichols grandson, have you seen the way she looks at him

Marissa: no but clearly you have

Summer: well only because it's like totally obvious

Marissa: (laughing) yes it is, that you're jealous. you like Seth Cohen

Summer: eeewww no, come on

Marissa: you like himmm, you like himmm

Summer: stop it!

Marissa: you loooooove him (laughing)

Summer: stop. I do not like Seth Cohen. I mean I cant like Seth Cohen, he's like Seth Cohen

Marissa: (walking away) well it's to bad, cause he likes you!

(Summer watches Seth & Anna again)

CUT TO: Ryan up the top, Marissa walks up to him, she's really happy

Marissa: hey (leans on his shoulder) my parents are totally getting along. and if my dad could find a job soon then maybe I could be your neighbour again, I could sneak over whenever I wanted

Ryan: your parents are weird, I wouldn't count on anything (Marissa's smile fades)

Marissa: right, you wouldn't

Ryan: what does that mean?

Marissa: I'm just saying if you don't understand how important this is

Ryan: I get it, I get it ok, to well, my mom, my dad

Marissa: just because that happened to you doesn't mean it's gonna happen to me...my parents may get back together

Ryan: no...they won't

Marissa: why can't you just be happy for me?

Ryan: ...your mom is seeing Caleb Nichol

Marissa: what, what're you talking about

Ryan: I saw them, together in front of your house (Marissa is clearly upset) I'm sorry

(Marissa leaves)

CUT TO: Sandy & Rachel still working

Sandy: I think at this point we go to the state for proposition fifty funds and-and hope they've got a spare 200 million dollars in the budget

Rachel: wait I have the budget here somewhere (leans forward to look for it, revealing her back)

Sandy: (notices) oh its uh...official aly stuff

Rachel: oh no you put it with the land trust documents

(Rachel has her arm under Sandy's am which is stretching the opposite way, they both laugh and their faces are close)

Sandy: feels like twister

Rachel: (gasps) you know when I was in college that game got me in a lotta trouble

Sandy: I could imagine

(both laugh)

Sandy: (sitting back) however you and I councilor are in enough trouble as it is

Rachel: yeah, was it me or did your father in-law basically... accuse us of having an affair

Rachel: yeah, where'd he get that idea right? I mean y'know we work together and (starting to move near him) we eat all our meals together and (on all fours facing Sandy moving closer) we talk on the phone when we cant actually be together (she is mere inches from his face, he doesn't say/do anything)

Sandy: I got a boat to catch

(Rachel sits next to him and watches him leave)

CUT TO: The yacht now night - Seth & Anna are mocking people

Seth: uh oooh goodness look at that piece right there, you know with this easterly breeze that toupee's gonna go over board

Anna: well good thing his wife has surgically enhanced flotation devices (a sh*t of the bad toupee guy and his wife) because then she can jump in after it

Seth: yeah there also fun to look at...uh hey if you can do me a favour and go tell that kid uh puberty started I don't-I don't think the pencil thin mustache is gonna make a come back anytime soon (pretend yells) hey dude embrace the razor already (Anna laughs)

Anna: sounds like you're speaking from experience

Seth: well, maybe when I was thirteen uh my nickname use to be magnum PI

Anna: oh really

Seth: yeah, mothers can be so cruel

(Anna laughs more)

Anna: hoh, god there are not people like this in Pittsburgh

Seth: you must hate Newport

Anna: I did, at first (turning to him) but now...it's growing on me

(Anna leans in to kiss him, Seth panics)

Seth: (puts his head down) are you um thirsty, at all because I'm a little bit parched and I was thinkin about getting us a couple a mountain dues...take the edge off

Anna: (disappointed) sure

Seth: ok, ill be right back

(Anna watches him leave)

Pan to: Summer & Chip near by

Chip: wow, check it out

(Summer sees Seth walk passed)

Chip: it's like totally dark, but totally visual

Summer: yeah, not understanding a word your saying. finish roaming (?) I'm gonna go get a drink (leaves)

CUT TO: inside the yacht, Julie is making a speech

Julie: uh excuse me I hate to interrupt ah just a moment of your time...

(the crowd moves so you can see that Jimmy & Caitlyn are with her on one side, and Caleb on the other)

Julie: uh I'm Julie Cooper the co-coordinator of this event (Marissa walks in) thankyou all so very much for coming, through your generous contributions we've raised almost two hundred thousand dollars for the children's hospital (Ryan comes in and stands with Marissa) (everyone claps) and don't forget its tax deductible (laughs) I also want to...

CUT TO: Seth & Summer

Seth: hey

Summer: can we talk? (nudges him down the stairs)

Seth: yeah uh o-o--o

CUT TO: Julie's speech again

(clapping)

Julie: um I have to say that we could not have done any of this (Marissa looks um impressed) without the generous

Ryan: (whispers to Marissa) let's just get outta here

Marissa: so I should just leave and let her get away with this?

Julie: let's give him a big hand

Marissa: (to Ryan) is that what you would do?

(clapping)

CUT TO: Seth & Summer, she starts kissing him

Summer: (stops) oh god...no

Seth: (shocked) uh-uh-wh-wh-what's happening

(Summer is just as shocked, she sits on the floor)

Summer: (disbelievingly) I like Seth Cohen

Seth: (sits next to her) uh you-you what now

Summer: nothing! I wasn't talking to you, but if you tell anyone what you heard here. ill k*ll you (leaves)

(Seth is confused about what just happened)

CUT TO: Julie's speech again

Julie: there's my beautiful daughter Marissa please, join us honey (clapping) come join us honey

(Marissa walks up to stand with them)

Julie: thankyou and now I'd like to ask my daughter Caitlyn to pick the winner of the romantic get-away raffle, Marissa would you like to announce the lucky couple

Marissa: (taking the mic) thanks, and how bout another round of applause for my mom (clapping) and for Caleb Nichol (clapping) after all there work on behalf of the children's hospital...if anybody deserves a romantic get away for two,(looking at them) its my mom and Caleb Nichol (Julie & Caleb are stunned) I mean aren't they just the perfect couple, they've been keeping their romance a secret (close up of a shocked Jimmy) but tonight...the secrets out (hands back the mic to Julie)

(Ryan looks proud of Marissa)

Marissa: congratulations you guys (walks away)

(close ups of Jimmy & Kirsten looking shocked)

CUT TO: Marissa outside, she leans on the yacht, upset

CUT TO: Julie etc

Julie: (to Caitlyn) honey take this (hands her the mic, and the raffle winner) (to Jimmy) don't start with me

Jimmy: hey after tonight I'm done with you, your-your Caleb's problem now (photographer takes a photo)

Photographer: one more please

Julie: excuse me (walks away)

Caitlyn: and the winner of tonight's raffle is... Sandy & Kirsten Cohen (clapping) (Kirsten doesn't look thrilled to win)

CUT TO: Marissa, Julie goes to her

Julie: what the hell was that?

Marissa: you lied to me! you said you wanted us to be a family again

Julie: I do... and I was going to tell you but this is all so new and I know you've ben through so much. Marissa honey this whole party, this whole night was to show you that our life could be like it was, you could move back home we could be a family again

Marissa: and what about dad?

Julie: honey... I will always love your father... but because of what's he's done we have no future together

Marissa: (serious) neither, do we!

(Julie walks away)

CUT TO: Seth & Anna walking

Seth: wait ok, what? (Anna's laughing) Julie Cooper & my grandfather?

Anna: ah huh

Seth: well then do you know that if that worked out that -that'd mean Marissa would be like, she would be my aunt

Anna: ooh, I can't believe you missed all the excitement, where have you ben? (holds his arm)

Seth: I... find raffles to-to be extremely upsetting there's just too much suspense

Anna: aww

Seth: so I don't go (Anna laughs)

(a sh*t of Summer making a shhh, and throat sign to Seth below)

CUT TO: Kirsten & Caleb

Kirsten: I trusted you I-I told you things about my life and my marriage and you used them against me...and you tell me nothing about you

Caleb: (sighs) well if this is the way your gonna react...do you blame me?

Kirsten: (serious) no, infact outside the office from now on, we have nothing to say to each other (walks away then turns back) oh, and good luck with your new girlfriend, your gonna need it

(Sandy is behind her)

Sandy: I'm here

Kirsten: we're leaving

Sandy: huh, wh but I wore a jacket

CUT TO: Marissa upset, Ryan comes over

Ryan: think this parties over (Marissa nods) want me to take you back to your dads?

Marissa: (smiles) I think I'm ready for our first date

Ryan: I think...we're way passed that now

CUT TO: Cohen's house - Sandy & Kirsten's bedroom

Sandy: huh, so in theory... Julie Cooper could eventually become your step mother (fascinated)

Kirsten: don't - even - say it

Sandy: I-I-I'm late to one event I miss everything

Kirsten: well not everything...we won the raffle...a romantic get away for two...if you can get away from the office

Sandy: oh yeah, no it'll be good for us, you know spend a little time alone (grabs her from behind)

Kirsten: mmm glad to hear it

Sandy: so what're you doin now

Kirsten: (turns around to face him) you! (kisses him)

Sandy: mm glad to hear it (they continue to kiss)

CUT TO: the pool house. you see clothes on the floor, hear heavy breathing then pan to feet/legs intertwined. gradually moves up to show Ryan lying on top of Marissa. they are making out

Ryan: this a pretty good date?

Marissa: yeah I just wish it didn't have to end

Ryan: it doesn't (kissing) spend the night (kissing) you know we, don't have to do anything, we could uh sleep

(they are both on their sides facing each other)

Marissa: really, Sandy & Kirsten are cool with that

Ryan: well we haven't had the talk yet so (Marissa laughs) do you snore?

Marissa: no...well I don't think so, I've never actually slept with someone before

Ryan: yeah me neither, I'm usually climbin out the window or back into the front seat

Marissa: hoh, ok enough sharing

Ryan: yeah, goodnight

(kisses her, then leans over to turn out the light, Marissa gets on top of him as he does so)

Ryan: I thought you said you wanted to sleep

Marissa: suddenly not so tired (kisses him) best (kiss) date (kiss) ever

(they both smile, scenes of them kissing, then the outside of the pool house. fade out)