01x16 - The Links

All episode transcripts for the TV show "The O.C.". Aired August 2003 - April 2007.*
Watch/Buy Amazon

A troubled youth becomes embroiled in the lives of a close-knit group of people in the wealthy, upper-class neighborhood of Newport Beach, Orange County, California.

01x16 - The Links

Post by bunniefuu »

Opening scene - Jimmy's house, there is a knock at the door and Marissa comes down the stairs to answer it

Oliver: (knocks) (Marissa opens the door) howdy

Marissa: (shocked) hey

Oliver: sorry to jus pop in...is it ok if I come in?

Marissa: (hesitates) yeah sure, of course (shuts the door) its jus temporary

Oliver: hmm

Marissa: the place its jus temporary, my dad lost his job so my parents

Oliver: I don't judge (Marissa smiles) (sighs) I do however...apologise, the other night Marissa was

Marissa: it's ok, really

Oliver: no, no its not...I hit rock bottom, a new low even for me but it...it was eye opening, a call to arms, I called my parents I came clean about everything an they were so supportive, I talked to my sponsor I'm gonna start going to meetings again...and I totally was honest with Natalie about all our issues (smiles) we're gettin back together

Marissa: (suprised) wow that's amazing

Oliver: and it never would've happened if Ryan hadn't come to my rescue, he called Mr. Cohen I mean busted tryin'a buy coke, I should still be in jail (Marissa looks at him) Ryan helped me get a second chance an I wanna say thanks

Marissa: oh so do you want his number or-

Oliver: I wanna take you an him to palm springs, my family has a place there right on PGA west (excited) it'll be great it'll be great, we can bring all your friends Seth,. Anna, Summer even Luke, you can meet my folks, meet Natalie

Marissa: (raises eyebrows) palm springs

Oliver: oh its soo much fun the weather there's perfect. do you golf?

Marissa: (laughs) no not really

Oliver: ill teach you, Ryan to

Marissa: (almost convinced) well I do...really wanna meet Natalie

Oliver: oh she's dyin'a meet both'a you guys, little get-away just the g*ng, on me, it's the least I can do

Marissa: (smiles) it sounds amazing y'know let me jus call Ryan an ask him (Oliver smiles)

(Marissa walks out of the room & Oliver walks around her living room, he picks up a photo of Marissa & Ryan, looks at it then puts it behind one of Marissa & Jimmy, hiding it)

Theme Song - California by Phantom Planet

Cohen's backyard - Sandy and Seth are trying to teach Ryan golf.

Sandy: alright knees bent (Ryan bends his knees) not quite that much, back straight eyes right over the ball, feet a little closer together (Ryan moves his feet) just off your left foot there you go, not quite that close together but (Ryan moves them apart again) that's ok alright just let it hang like a pendulum, nice an easy (sways his hands back and forth like he's going to swing) nice an easy keep breathin, nice an easy (Ryan looks at him) nice...ill stop ill s- ill just go right over here

(Ryan looks down and hits the golf ball, he is meant to be putting it into a cup. but it bounces straight into the pool)

Seth: (jumps up from the pool, with the ball) I got it! (goes back under the water. Ryan sighs and looks like he's had enough)

Sandy: alright one more

Ryan: no, no more

Sandy: oh come on you were so good at the driving range

Ryan: I don't play golf (holds the club out)

Seth: (in the pool) not true buddy, you just don't play well

Sandy: and you know there's plenty more to do in Palm Springs other then play golf you can spa

Ryan: no I don't spa

Sandy: you don't play golf (shrugs) you don't spa what'd you do

Seth: yes Ryan (puts on a posh voice) what exactly do you do besides musicals (normal) an punching people

Sandy: well he's very good with the ladies

Seth: (posh again) ah the ladies he is very good with the ladies

Sandy: (now he's copying) very good with the ladies

Ryan: (not impressed) he's standing right here holding a golf club!

Sandy: yeah but you don't know how to use it (takes it from Ryan)

Ryan: right which is why I'm not goin ta palm springs

Seth: hey yes you are going to palm springs ok listen to me (Ryan rolls his eyes) ya did something nice for Oliver now he wants to repay you by taking us to his mansion in palm springs without you there is no deal why cant you understand that

Sandy: this kid Oliver has a mansion on a golf course

Seth: yeah he's also got a ski chalet in mammoth

Sandy: wow I guess sometimes it's good to be Oliver

Seth: sometimes it's great to be Oliver (to Ryan) but you or I don't care about those sort of things do we (Sandy putts the ball into the cup) or Marissa I don't think she cares either

Ryan: you think (Sandy smiles)

Seth: I don't know but even if she's a little bit impressed look over there (points) huh who's got himself a pool house

Sandy: with ocean views, here come on take another sh*t (Ryan takes the club) nice an easy (to Seth) so (crouches down near Seth) Oliver's parents are gonna be there?

Seth: yeah

Sandy: have you met em

Seth: no, but if there anywhere near as cool as Oliver is I'm-

(Ryan takes a hard swing then we hear the sound of glass smashing - Seth & Sandy are speechless)

Ryan: (cringes) I don't do nice an easy

CUT TO: Sandy and Kirsten in the kitchen

Kirsten: do we trust this Oliver kid

Sandy: no not at all but we trust our guys an his parents are spose to be there

Kirsten: hmm an Seth knows to call hourly

Sandy: yeah an...we're just gonna worry all weekend

Kirsten: there golfing

Sandy: yeah when we gonna get you on the golf course

Kirsten: not today...do you know who's coming home today

Sandy: oh god the ugly Americans are coming back, so when's your father and Julie gettin in

Kirsten: they arrive from Paris this afternoon

Sandy: after having confirmed all of Europe's worst suspicions about Americans I'm guessing

Kirsten: yeah well I'm guessing that this means that Hailey will be on the way out

Sandy: what's she gonna do, she's gonna hit your father up for a blank cheque an then take off

Kirsten: (sighs) was there ever any doubt, I mean last time she was gone for two years, this time it could be three (sighs) an oh who knows what kinda trouble she can get into

(Hailey comes in)

Hailey: morning

Kirsten: oh hey Hailey, can I get ya anything, I got those pumpkin muffins (Hailey looks at her) and there's coffee and there's orange juice without pulp

Hailey: dad comes back today huh

Kirsten: right, yes, he does

Hailey: so what time will we be seeing him?

Kirsten: dinner, seven

Sandy: (fake disappointment) oooooh I'm sorry ill have to miss that

Hailey: (looks at Sandy) (to Kirsten) Julie coopers not coming is she (Kirsten doesn't say anything) I can't believe dads with her. she's only with him for his money

Sandy: and that is such an unattractive quality (Hailey looks at him)

Kirsten: um (picks up the muffins) pumpkin muffin

Sandy: yes darling (Kirsten smiles at him, Hailey look at them both)

CUT TO: Jimmy's house - Marissa and Summer are in the living room, Marissa is packing

Summer: I think it'll be fun

Marissa: you do

Summer: I mean what could be more fun then joining you guys for couple fest 2004 you an Ryan, Oliver an Natalie, Anna an what's his face Cohen, me an Luke, god it should be all time (puts thumbs up)

Marissa: it won't be like that it'll give us all a chance to get outta town hang out (points at her) it will be fun!

Summer: what's more fun then watching some nerdy neurotic bat his eyelashes at his droopy pixy chick (makes cutesy face & bats her eyelashes for emphasis)

Marissa: so clearly you're ok with being just friends with Seth

Summer: ah-huh clearly

Marissa: I was being sarcastic

Summer: so was I, which we never were before Cohen showed up an taught us all irony (grits teeth) jackass

Marissa: hey Sum (sits next to her on the couch) look if it's to hard to be around him then-then why go why do this to yourself

Summer: because Coop, I told them that I was fine with it, I told them that I was cool jus being there friend, I have a reputation...and I can't sabotage the trip if I'm not there

Marissa: (looks at her) Summer

Summer: (excited) ok what'do you think about laxatives in his coffee huh

Marissa: um

Summer: no ok dead frog in his Xmen underoos (Marissa looks at her like she's crazy) that's good, no NO I've got it while he's sleeping I slip his hand in warm water (faster & louder) it totally makes you pee your bed an then Anna wakes up sees he's a bed wetter and that is awesome! that is just...awesome! (Marissa looks at her) mmhmm I've lost my mind haven't I

Marissa: yeah, little bit (raises eyebrows)

Summer: mm and over Seth Cohen

CUT TO: Sandy and Jimmy out and about

Sandy: Jimmy, hey I'm glad I ran into ya, where still on for dinner tonight right

Jimmy: uh dinner yeah

Sandy: you ok?

Jimmy: (sighs) no I'm not really I jus-I jus- I just got turned down for the manager's position of this place, apparently that kid is better suited to the rigors of the job then I am, maybe we should reschedule I'm not feelin very social

Sandy: we can't reschedule, the light house closes down tonight forever, it's the last chance to get the best chicken parmajan in the business

Jimmy: first the light house leaves Newport an then me how-how poetic

Sandy: what'd you mean your leavin

Jimmy: well there's nothing here for me, there's no opportunities there's no second chances, I got a brother in Phoenix, he called me uh this week an

Sandy: you can't leave

Jimmy: well I-I can't stay

Sandy: look I'm jus on my way ta work, I know we have positions available there

Jimmy: no Sandy you cant you-you- no you've done

Sandy: it would be nothing glamorous, jus be entry level kinda thing y'know paralegal work, file clerking that sorta thing

Jimmy: thanks, I mean whatever it is I jus, as long as I can - I can stay with Marissa I mean I-I can't afford to support both of us much longer

Sandy: we'll figure it out

Jimmy: thanks

Sandy: an you can't bail on me tonight cause ill be stuck with Hailey an Caleb I mean it's-it's the least you can do

Jimmy: (laughs) yeah

Sandy: alright

Jimmy: thankyou

CUT TO: The pool house - Ryan is finishing packing, Marissa and Summer come in

Ryan: hey (goes to her)

Marissa: hi (goes to him) (they kiss)

Summer: alright (they stop kissing & look at her) and so it begins, guess I'm jus gonna have ta get use to this

Ryan: Seth's in his room

Summer: (thinks) it's upstairs to the left right (Marissa smiles & nods) I'm just gonna make sure he's packed, so he doesn't hold us up (leaves)

Marissa: y'know we need to be nice to Summer, cause she's afraid this weekends just gonna be a bunch'a couples doing like y'know coupley stuff

Ryan: an its not?

Marissa: (shakes her head) mm mm

Ryan: so we'll be hanging out with uh say Oliver

Marissa: Oliver an Natalie, they made up, why you don't have a problem with Oliver do you?

Ryan: nah I mean, the guy shows up outta nowhere an suddenly he's hanging around all the time

Marissa: yeah guy shows up outta the blue knows no one abandoned by his family sound familiar?

Ryan: (smiles) lil bit

Marissa: look you did something nice for him an now he wants to repay you

Ryan: by playing golf

Marissa: yeah well it'll be fun

Ryan: well you've never seen me play golf

Marissa: (smirks) then I guess it'll be especially fun for me

Ryan: ah-huh (smiles)

Marissa: mm hmm (they kiss)

CUT TO: Seth and Anna are lying on Seth's bed. Seth is playing with her hand

Seth: i love palm springs, a little golf, a little shvitz

Anna: (laughs then frowns) I don't know it all sounds kind of old

Seth: yes Anna it does sound old and somewhere inside me there's an old Jewish man who's veeeery excited

Anna: (takes her hand from his) ick (laughs)

Seth: (laughs) ok that came out a little disgusting

Anna: yeah kinda

Seth: but seriously there's the geriatric part'a me that actually loves like a good early bird special, a little bit'a shuffle board some mahjong

Anna: well when you put it that way

Seth: seriously think about it most old people are to actually old to enjoy being old (Anna frowns) not me though I'm ready to retire right now to a life of leisure, Palm springs is my mecca

Anna: weeeelll what I'm looking forward to is a weekend alone (sits up on her elbow) without our parents

Seth: (sits up on his elbow) oooh I see where your goin with this, we can have dinner as early as we want

Anna: oooo it'll be like a couples weekend, an we can have our own room

Seth: be still my pacemaker

Anna: (laughs) your a dirty old man

Seth: hey if the orthopedic shoe fits (kisses her)

(Summer comes in)

Summer: hello friends (they stop kissing) are you guys almost ready to go

Seth: yeah totally we're there

Anna: hey Summer

Summer: that's is just great you gu- (Summer swings her bag & it knocks down the jenga tower on his bed) oh sorry god Anna it looked like you were doing so well to

Anna: don't worry about it

Summer: thanks for being so forgiving (Anna & Seth look at her) we are gonna have so much fun this weekend, all of us hanging out (she puts her hands out for them to hold) as friends

(Anna sighs, Seth just sits there)

CUT TO: Out the front of the Cohen's - they are packing up the cars. Seth and Luke are at the back of Luke's truck, while Summer struggles with luggage at the door

Seth: did you rob a liquor store Luke (referring to the many cartons in the back of his truck)

Luke: Cohen you cant play golf without a buzz on

Seth: hey good tip Baggar Vance (puts his humidifier in with the beer)

Luke: a blender nice thinkin Cohen

Seth: yeah no its actually a humidifier I get nose bleeds

Summer: how romantic

Anna: I think its sweet, it'll make our room like a tropical paradise

Seth: yes it will (smiles)

Summer: oh you know it is so nice (lifts her bag to Luke) how you find all of Cohen's weaknesses so adorable

Seth: I'm not weak ok I'm jus delicate

Summer: (hands Luke more bags) uh

(Ryan & Marissa bring some things out, then go back in. Summer climbs up to where Luke is sitting)

Luke: well it looks like you an I are the only ones without anyone

Summer: (laughs) ok um I'm jus gonna lie down in the drive way an jus back your truck right up over me mmhmm

(Marissa & Ryan bring more luggage out, Oliver walks up)

Oliver: (sad tone) what's up guys

Marissa: hey, what's the matter

Oliver: its Natalie (swallows) its over (sniffs) I don't know I'm sorry maybe we shouldn't go

(Marissa looks worried, Ryan looks almost relieved)

Ryan: yeah, yeah maybe we shouldn't (Marissa looks at him)

Marissa: what happened

Oliver: I don't wanna talk about it

Marissa: no you need to...an you know what we need to get outta town I mean maybe we could talk about it on the ride down or (to Ryan) well is that ok, if I ride with Oliver (Ryan doesn't say anything) or maybe we could all go together

Ryan: no no you-you guys go ill see ya down there (half smiles)

Luke: hey Chino, why don't you ride with me (Ryan nods)

Summer: (to Seth & Anna) can I ride with you guys

Seth: (packing the car) ah yeah sure

Summer: sh*t g*n (gets in the passenger seat)

Seth: ok (jumps in the back)

Anna: (disappointed) ah-huh

Marissa: (kisses Ryan on the cheek) mm thanks, for understanding

Ryan: ah-huh

(Ryan watches Oliver, then he looks over at Seth who looks back & shakes his head as if to say 'don't worry' Ryan shuts his eyes and doesn't look happy)

CUT TO: The Cohen's front door. Kirsten opens it, Julie and Caleb are standing there

Kirsten: (suprised) dad! Julie! uh your early

Caleb: bonjour Kiki (kisses her on the cheeks)

Julie: (holding a cheese wheel) cheese wheel, its brie (hands it to Kirsten)

Kirsten: oh thanks, how was France?

Caleb: uh aside from the French (walks in) where's Hailey

Kirsten: oh she's showering I-I think I-I wasn't expecting you guys so soon

Julie: well he couldn't wait to see his precious Hailey, couldn't even let me go home an take a shower

Caleb: how is she, how's she lookin, too thin?

Kirsten: oh she looks good, her spirits are high

Caleb: she's high?

Kirsten: no her spirits, her mood she's up

Caleb: so she's on uppers

Kirsten: no she seems balanced (to Julie) you changed your hair

Julie: (excited) right, do you like it, isn't it francais, Cal says he doesn't like it

(Hailey comes in)

Hailey: hey dad (smiles)

Caleb: Hailey (kisses her on the cheeks) its great to see you (hugs her)

Hailey: mm Julie, your hair

Julie: Hailey, your here

Caleb: so I haven't seen you since (Julie rolls her eyes) how long has it ben

Hailey: oh dad, you gonna start with me already

Caleb: fair enough, just tell me what you've ben up to (Hailey smiles) all your adventures

Julie: Cal I uh I thought we could swing by the house maybe an

Caleb: (walking off with Hailey) Kiki could you make us some lunch, I'm starved (heard in the back ground to Hailey) so tell me about Costa Rica

Kirsten: (to Julie) how bout lunch, we have brie (Julie nods)

CUT TO: Palm Springs - we see the welcome to palm springs sign, then an aerial view of houses - then we come to Ryan and Luke unloading Luke's truck, they each carry an end of a large eski/cooler inside

Ryan: brought enough beer?

Luke: ah you never know buddy, never know

(they walk in the door & put the eski/cooler down. Oliver & Marissa are sitting on the couch together)

Marissa: (smiles) hey, you made it

Ryan: yeah we tried following you, but it was hard to keep up

Oliver: sorry I guess I got all wrapped up in my saga, I got a little distracted (Ryan looks at him)

Luke: hey this-this place is awesome, where's the fridge I-I don't want these (points) to get skunked

Oliver: (gets up) yeah ill show you to the kitchen (to Luke) think you brought enough beer

Luke: (as he walks out) everybody keeps sayin that

(Marissa smiles at Ryan & Ryan goes over to her)

Ryan: how was it

Marissa: it was ok, we talked (Ryan sits) he talked mostly, I think he jus wanted someone to listen

Ryan: how's he

Marissa: he's a little fragile, but hey I think getting outta town 'll help

(Oliver comes back in)

Oliver: hope you guys weren't talkin about me when I was gone (sits next to Marissa) (to Ryan) sorry for takin your girlfriend away from you, but don't worry she's all yours

Ryan: I wasn't worried (half smiles)

Oliver: (smiles) right

(Marissa looks uncomfortable between them)

Marissa: ok (sighs)

(Summer, Seth & Anna arrive)

Summer: I was trying to give you some culture Cohen

Seth: yeah well the audio version of the Da Vinci code is not culture

Summer: yeah well its a true story

(Seth's phone rings. Marissa smiles at them)

Anna: hi

Seth: (taking the phone out) god! (Luke comes back in) (answers the phone) hey dad how you doin wow 6 calls in um 2 hours that's a new rec- yeah no we (Luke goes to give him a beer) we're still fine believe it or not ok ok (Ryan looks at Oliver) well what I can do then is call you from every hole (Oliver looks at Seth & smiles) cool ok great bye (hangs up)

Ryan: (to Oliver) where are your folks

Oliver: ...yeah there plane got delayed in Zurich I don't think there gonna make it this weekend (gets up) but welcome to their humble abode

Seth: thanks man

Oliver: now lets get everyone settled before we hit the links huh, I set up two tee times I figured Seth, Summer an Anna could be our threesome (Seth, Summer & Anna all look at each other) let me show everyone to their room

(Oliver, Marissa & Ryan walk into a room)

Oliver: an last but not least...oh I forgot this is the room with the two twins...uh do you wanna switch rooms or we could push em together

Marissa: oh no this is fine, its great I'm jus gonna go change (walks away)

Oliver: (to Ryan) ill help you with the beds, hopefully it wont be to uncomfortable

Ryan: (doesn't look impressed) alright thanks

Oliver: I really appreciate you bein so cool about Marissa an I bein friends

Ryan: (pushing the bed) oh yeah no problem

Oliver: (pushing bed towards Ryan) I mean with everything you two jus went through with Luke, the last thing you need is another guy not to trust

Ryan: (shocked) with Luke

Oliver: yeah, you thinkin that maybe he an Marissa were gettin back together

Ryan: (pushing the top end of the bed) that was a while ago

Oliver: I'm not judging, I mean if anyone should have trust issues

Ryan: what'does that mean (looks at Oliver)

Oliver: just your background, Marissa was fillin me in on some of the details on our ride down

Ryan: she was

Oliver: yeah but I mean just in terms of how amazing it is that your so (shrugs) healthy (Ryan looks at him) well adjusted...considering

Ryan: considering

(Oliver looks not so friendly, then he hears Marissa come out & smiles again)

Marissa: (to Ryan) so, how do I look

Oliver: perfect

Ryan: yeah great

CUT TO: Sandy in the parking lot at his work. he's taking things out of the boot of his car

Tom: Sandy Cohen workin on a Saturday

Sandy: Tom Wellington how are you, playin catch up huh

Tom: tryin'a buy some time away from the wife an kids

(they start walking)

Sandy: oh how touching, listen I got a question for ya, I know Celeste in records is goin on maternity leave an we haven't found anyone yet, you know Jimmy Cooper right

Tom: Jimmy Cooper

Sandy: yeah

Tom: you outta your mind, Sandy this is one'a the most reputable firms in the county, what's it gonna do for our profile to hire its most notorious criminal

Sandy: ah, there's no such thing as bad publicity

Tom: really

Sandy: c'mon before he went down there was no one better then Jimmy, no one smarter everyone in this town loved him

Tom: yeah until he ripped em off

Sandy: he made a mistake an he's paying it off, he doesn't deserve a second chance

Tom: (judgmental) not in our firm, not in this life time (Sandy looks at him) look the best thing you can do around Jimmy Cooper, stand up wind, don't get his stink all over ya

Sandy: no, he's a good guy Tom

Tom: yeah well then, why don't you go into business with him

CUT TO: the Cohen house - we see Hailey and Caleb sitting outside together, but we cant hear what they are saying.

Kirsten: she so looks like mom its scary (we now see Kirsten & Julie are looking out the kitchen window) he takes one look at Hailey an...he cant say no...an right now she's telling him of her plan to help the indigent population of some depressed country and all she's lookin for is some all expense paid bender ta Amsterdam or Thailand

Julie: (shakes her head) its amazing he cant see it, she's only being nice to him for his money

Kirsten: (sighs) every time she vanishes...its for a little while longer...the trips get wilder an wilder...an one of these days I don't think she's comin back (Julie looks at her)

Julie: you know your the only one he listens to Kirsten (Kirsten looks at her) if your really scared she's gonna disappear again...you need to stop him from letting her

CUT TO: The links - Marissa is taking a swing, Oliver, Ryan and Luke are watching

Marissa: (practice swings) how's this

Oliver: pretty good (walks over to her) you just uh gotta get your hips into it a little more y'know you gotta go (grabs her hips and sways with her) mm yeah mm mm mm boom boom (Ryan & Luke watch them)

Ryan: I think she's got the idea

Marissa: uh-hm

Oliver: rocket fire (walks away)

(Marissa hits the ball)

Oliver: for a beautiful girl that is one ugly swing

Ryan: (walks over to take his sh*t) gotta follow that huh (swings)

Marissa: (watches the ball) wow

Oliver: (to Ryan) don't suppose you were using creative visualisation (Ryan looks at him) my face as the golf ball...cant wait to see your short game buddy (hits Ryan playfully on the arm) (to Marissa) I think your balls in the trees

Marissa: (unsure) that's bad right?

CUT TO: Seth, Anna and Summer walking on the fair way

Summer: thanks for carrying my golf bag Cohen I really think I threw out my back

Anna: (laughs) if your back hurts Summer why don't we take a golf cart

Summer: what are you like against nature

Anna: this isn't nature. this is a golf course

Seth: (complains) I think I have a hernia

Summer: you guys this way we can spend more time together as friends

(Seth & Anna stop walking)

Anna: (to Seth) how come when she says friends, it sounds like a thr*at

Seth: its her inflection (Anna looks at him) (sighs) what we did say we'd try an be friends right I mean who's she gonna talk to Luke

Anna: oh

Seth: that guy only recently learnt how to walk up right

(Summer takes her swing)

Summer: oh...uh (yells) Cohen could you help me find my ball, Anna stay back there might be poison ivy

Seth: um Summer (shakes his head) I don't wanna get poison ivy

Summer: Cohen! I thought you were my friend

Seth: (gives in) ok (walks off)

Anna: wow looks like Summers not the only one who lost their balls

CUT TO: Ryan, Luke, Marissa and Oliver - Ryan putts and the ball veers slightly to the right. Oliver and Marissa watch from near the golf cart

Oliver: oooooooow too bad

Luke: (to Ryan) I could hurt that guy

Ryan: so could I (they both walk away)

Oliver: am I trying to hard with him, all I want is to be friends an I jus feel like he hates me

Marissa: no I mean, he likes you he just uh

(we see Ryan taking another putt and it only just misses this time. Oliver is heard softly in the background)

Oliver: right trust issues, cant win em all I guess

Luke: (to Ryan) hey nobody's lookin (Ryan rolls the ball into the hole with his foot) (yells) oooooh nice sh*t buddy

(Ryan picks the ball up out of the hole)

Oliver: ok I think we've torn up the course long enough, last guy back buys the first round. Oliver gets in the golf cart, Marissa walks around to get in the other side. Luke and Ryan look at each other then run, Luke puts the flag in the hole then runs to the golf cart with Ryan)

Marissa: (laughs) c'mon on lets go (they drive off)

(Ryan & Luke get in their golf cart and aren't far behind. we see it switch between Luke & Ryan, then Oliver & Marissa all driving and having a great time - we see Marissa & Oliver coming over a hill & Luke & Ryan are at the bottom of it heading up. Ryan, Luke & Marissa are smiling/laughing. Oliver has a serious/determined look on his face and keeps going, just before they are about to hit head on Ryan swerves to miss them)

Luke: look out look out for that tree

Ryan: right right hold it

Luke: stop stop stop

(Oliver & Marissa stop at the top of the hill & get out. we see that Luke and Ryan are inches away from the water)

Oliver: (claps) dude nice driving (Marissa looks worried) you made that thing dance

Ryan: (gets out) (angry) what the hell is your problem man!

Oliver: hey man wha- I thought- we thought we were jus joking

Ryan: (still angry) yeah good joke come down here tell me another one

Oliver: oh sorry man, see you back at the house ok

Marissa: (goes down to Ryan) are you ok, you know he was jus playing

Ryan: fine (Marissa goes back up)

Luke: (to Ryan) that guy was not playing

(Luke & Ryan look at each other, then towards Oliver. neither look happy)

CUT TO: Cohen's kitchen - Sandy walks in and Kirsten is already in there

Sandy: (putting on his jacket) hey

Kirsten: you look nice

Sandy: hey you-you look like your not gonna have dinner with your father

Kirsten: oh I'm gonna give them a little one on one time, its not a dinner that I wanna be at

Sandy: (sighs) oh I feel the same way about my meal, Jimmy is right, he is done here, his best sh*t is startin over somewhere else...so we'll have a-a nice meal an a couple'a drinks...an talk about his next move

Kirsten: alcohol, yes, inspired!

Sandy: how do you think I got you to marry me

(Caleb comes in)

Caleb: so you were drunk (laughs) that explains everything Kiki

Sandy: Caleb (shakes his head)

Kirsten: hey dad (Caleb kisses her on the cheek)

Sandy: it is always such a pleasure you two have the time of your lives huh (leaves)

Caleb: (looks at her) your not dressed

Kirsten: I'm not going, we both know why Hailey's here (sits at the table)

Caleb: she wants to catch up, with her family

Kirsten: dad, you honestly don't believe that!

Caleb: don't be jealous of your baby sister I love both my daughters equally

Kirsten: you don't but that's ok, what's not ok is the fact that she wants to take advantage of how much you love her

Caleb: you want me to cut her off

Kirsten: I know you do too (Caleb sighs)
CUT TO: Palm springs - Seth and Anna are in their room together, Seth has just finished setting up his humidifier, and Anna is sitting in bed

Seth: oh dinner at 6, in bed by 8. Anna my old Jewish man is very happy right now

Anna: (laughs) its pretty humid Seth I think you could stop futzing

Seth: no no I cant futzing's what I do my darling besides I almost have it (rubs his hands together) an there we go she's purring like a kitten

Anna: mm (purrs) (laughs) so Cohen, you an me alone in a bed

Seth: (rubbing the pillow on his face) oooh polyfill (Anna ooos) its not as comfortable as down but its good for our little allergies our sniffles (touches her nose, she laughs) an this bed huh (rolls on the bed) its posturepedic for my back (Anna laughs) an your back (lays next to her) oh oh

Anna: yeah

Seth: my catheter fell out

(Summer comes in)

Summer: hey guys

Seth: (moves away from Anna) hey

Summer: uh Luke's hogging the remote an its either football or p*rn so I was wondering if I could watch TV with you guys

Anna: we're not watching TV Summer

Seth: yeah Summer we were about to go to bed actually

Summer: (frowns) but its eight o'clock what're you like seventy?

Seth: on the inside yes

Summer: well I thought this was a weekend where we could all hang out as friends

Anna: it is

Seth: totally, totally

Summer: oh, I get it, its like specific friend hours right whatever works for you, a friend on off switch a friend appointment book I mean do I have to schedule friend time in advance because-

Seth: no, no that is not it at all

Anna: its not it

Summer: great! (walks to the bed) you guys (jumps between Anna & Seth) that's great (grabs the remote) hmm oooh that Enrique is so hot I mean can you imagine being with a guy with abs like that (touches Seth's chest) huh yeah apparently not

(Seth & Anna look disappointed)

CUT TO: Ryan in the kitchen, he's washing the dishes and Oliver comes in

Oliver: you don't have to do that

Ryan: I don't mind (turns the tap on)

(Oliver turns it off, Ryan turns it back on)

Oliver: (laughs) well then at least let me help (Ryan looks at him) where's Marissa

Ryan: getting changed for the hot tub

Oliver: you goin in? (Ryan shrugs) right, ca-can we jus start over

Ryan: (looks at him) start over

Oliver: yeah I feel like we got off on the wrong foot...an I wanna make this right, get this thing...straight so we can be friends (Ryan looks at him) what can I do?

Ryan: next time you wanna be alone with my girlfriend, let me know so I can stay home (Ryan glares at him)

(Oliver glares back then chucks the dish into the sink, smashing it, he's angry and smashes his fists on the sink)

Oliver: this always happens (Ryan looks worried) Natalie, my friends at pacific, an now you (yells and hits his head) I'm so stupid!

Ryan: take it easy

Oliver: (still hitting his head) damnit (a little calmer) everybody who knows me for more then five minutes ends up hating my guts

Ryan: that's not true nobody-nobody hates your guts ok

(Marissa comes in)

Marissa: what's going on?

Ryan: we were- we were talking uh

Marissa: (to Oliver) are you ok

Oliver: yeah I'm-I'm gonna go get some fresh air, I'm gonna go get some stuff for breakfast

Marissa: (worried) ill go with you

Oliver: no its- you stay with Ryan ill be back soon jus-jus leave the kitchen man everything's ok

Marissa: (sighs) you actually managed to drive him out of his own house

Ryan: I don't know what happened we were talking an he-he he jus went off

Marissa: well what were you talking about that was so upsetting

Ryan: you

Marissa: me

Ryan: you an him

Marissa: ok you know what Oliver's got allota problems but I think your the one who's paranoid, what's your problem

Ryan: (upset) I don't know maybe that you spent the entire car ride telling him everything about me!

Marissa: I wasn't I was talking about my life...an your part of my life (Ryan closes his eyes) you know what I don't understand what's going on with you (raises her eyebrows at him)

CUT TO: Sandy and Jimmy at the light house, they are both tipsy

Sandy: no there's gotta be more I could do, there's gotta be somebody else I can call

Jimmy: Sandy you've done everything you possibly can alright

Sandy: no, no, no, no

Jimmy: an you know what your right its-it'd be-its for the best, like you said I can start over have a new life, I never really wanted to be a financial planner...or a thief

Sandy: ok, so figure out right now what is it you really wanna do

Jimmy: what I really wanna do is not be 40 years old, divorced with 2 kids an tryin'a figure out what I really wanna do

Sandy: what is it you use'ta wanna be

Jimmy: (nods) a pilot yeah I always liked stewardesses (laughs) you

Sandy: I always knew exactly what I wanted to be, I wanted'ta be left fielder for the New York yanks

Jimmy: (smiles) yes

Sandy: cause it was like the pursuit of that dream that carried me all the way through law school

Jimmy: most enjoyable job I ever had actually was ah working here (Sandy looks at him, suprised) yeah yeah I managed this place...the Summer I married Julie an look at it now, its closing (shakes his head)

Sandy: I mean John Wayne use to come here

Jimmy: I know

Sandy: Gary Cooper

Jimmy: yeah

Sandy: (looking around) this is the real deal y'know this-this-this is the last bit'a old Newport, look at it all it really needs... is just a little face lift

Jimmy: (sighs) the land value alone would be enough to secure a decent renovation loan...y-y ya update the menu a little bit y-ya bring back happy hour (Sandy is nodding & smiling) it'd be-it'd be uh

Sandy: (smiling) it would be fun!

Jimmy: it'd be a blast, the kids would come in it would be fantastic

Sandy: oh yeah I mean alot more fun then-then you know what ever high priced nuisance law suit I got waitin for me back at my desk

Jimmy: alot more fun then movin to Phoenix, without my kids (Sandy looks at Jimmy like he has an idea) what?

Sandy: Katie! (smiling) 2 more martinis please

CUT TO: Anna and Seth still in bed, Seth has his head on Anna's shoulder and they are watching TV

Anna: ooooo egg mc muffins, they sound so good right now

Seth: I know why cant they serve those all day

Anna: I know totally, like what technological innovation is preventing that

(Summer is lying across the end of the bed & she looks at them)

Seth: ok they can put a man on the moon correct

Anna: right

Seth: an they cant serve an egg mc muffin passed ten thirty am

Anna: it makes no sense

Seth: I cant figure it out, doesn't make no sense

Anna: it makes no sense

(Summer rolls her eyes and changes the channel)

Anna: cabbage patch kids

Seth: (frowns) they still sell those

Anna: oh weird

Seth: I don't really get the whole like legend of the cabbage patch it freaks me out

Anna: what babies harvested from the heads of cabbage

Seth: yeah exactly

Anna: what's so freaky about that

Seth: it's all about some child-sl*very ring

Anna: (laughs) its weird

Seth: its disgusting it makes me wanna vomit

(Summer is frustrated & changes the channel again)

Seth: ooooh the smurfs dude

Anna: aww

Seth: oooh do you know how tall they were?

Anna: what?

Seth: three apples

Anna: really that's pretty big

Seth: three apples, yeah (Anna laughs) there should be a channel on television I think, of us watching television (Summer looks like she feels left out)

Anna: we're that good

Seth: yeah

Summer: (turns to face them) yeah you are, you are so that good, your whole witty banter thing is soooo cute you guys, you guys are like (thinks) brother an sister, yeah you guys could totally be related, I'm gonna go to bed (turns the TV off & leaves)

(Seth & Anna look awkward with each other now)

Anna: (turning away from Seth) I'm going to bed to

CUT TO: Marissa in her robe on the couch. she looks worried and has a mobile in her hand. Ryan comes in

Ryan: hey (Marissa looks over at him) he's not back yet?

Marissa: no an he still hasn't called (sighs) I'm really worried its ben two hours

Ryan: what's wrong with him, exactly

Marissa: he's ben battling depression for a while (sighs) and he's had some substance abuse problems

Ryan: sorry (sits down with her)

Marissa: I just hope he's ok

(phone rings)

Marissa: (relieved) its him (urgent tone) hey

(we now see that Oliver is sitting on the couch in the pent house. on the phone he sounds out of it but I cant really convey that here, sorry)

Oliver: Marissa, somethin happened

Marissa: (worried) what's wrong, what is it

Oliver: I messed up real bad

Marissa: (scared) where are you, what'd you do

Oliver: oh I jus drove back to Newport an took a whole buncha pills, whole bunch

Marissa: ok call an ambulance!

Oliver: no, no, no doctors

Marissa: please jus

Oliver: I am so scared right now...maybe uh, maybe I could throw em up

Marissa: (upset) well do that jus get em outta your system

Oliver: I'll try but uh do you think you could um...come back, I'm sorry but I am s-so scared

Marissa: ok we're leving right now, see ya soon (hangs up)

Ryan: (worried) he's not ok

Marissa: he jus took a bunch'a pills (sighs)

(Marissa leaves, Ryan looks worried)

CUT TO: Ryan and Marissa in the car, driving home

Marissa: (with the phone) he's stopped picking up

Ryan: its ok you just talked to him

Marissa: (trying again) that was twenty minutes ago (on the phone) (urgent) hi Marissa Cooper for Oliver Trask please

CUT TO: Oliver in the pent house, with a glass of alcohol, he's dancing very energetically, pleased with himself. in the background you can hear 'Its not unusual' playing on the stereo and the phone ringing, which he ignores. He puts his drink down and sits on the couch, there are 5 bottles of pills in front of him on the table, still moving to the music he opens one bottle and tips them out on the table, he throws the empty bottle over his shoulder

CUT TO: Ryan and Marissa still in the car

Ryan: (worried) I thought you said he was ok

Marissa: (still trying to reach Oliver) he said he was, he said he spent the last hour in the bathroom getting the pills out of his system but...if that's true...

Ryan: what?

Marissa: (upset) why isn't he picking up

CUT TO: Oliver, the phone is still ringing, he is emptying more bottles of pills out on the table, he throws the containers in all different directions, and he is smiling. phone is still ringing. he gathers the pills together then looks over at a clock ornament thing, it has a removable lid. he picks it up and takes the lid off. he slides the pills into the ornament, puts the lid back on and puts it back where he was on the side table. he picks up his drink and lies back on the couch. he takes a sip, the look on his face borders on psychotic! its very freaky

CUT TO: Cohen house - Kirsten is in bed reading and Hailey comes in, angry

Hailey: (yells) what the hell did you say ta dad, I know your behind this

Kirsten: (sitting up) Hailey we had a conversation, an we both agreed

Hailey: (still angry) how convenient that the one thing you two agree on is how'ta screw me over (Kirsten looks down, not saying anything)

(next thing we see is Hailey coming down the stairs with her luggage. Kirsten is coming down behind her)

Kirsten: oh Hailey, you don't have'ta do this

Hailey: (upset) I thought this was what you wanted, me on my own not taking dad's money not taking up room in your house

Kirsten: I never said that you couldn't stay

Hailey: (stops & turns around) no you said you wanted me to live my own life, be on my own, be independent an then you went behind my back an sabotaged my relationship with dad

Kirsten: what relationship with dad? you take his money an then you take off

Hailey: my relationship with dad is between me an dad...was between me an dad

Kirsten: (sincerely) I jus don't wanna see you get inta anymore trouble

Hailey: well now you wont have to

(they both look at each other, hurt. sound of a horn)

Hailey: there's my cab (gathers her things and walks to the door)

Kirsten: (worried) ooh Hailey where are you gonna go? ya don't have any money

Hailey: yeah well who's fault is that, ill find another way to get by

Kirsten: (sighs) you could stay here an work for dad

Hailey: why, so I can be as independent as you are, living off his money in the mc mansion he built you...I'm sorry...but you were right I need ta have my own life and the only way that I can do that is to get as far away from dad, an as far away from you...as I can (Kirsten looks at her. horn again) ill see ya (walks out)

(Kirsten just stares, helplessly)

CUT TO: The pent house - Ryan and Marissa are banging on Oliver's door desperately

Marissa: (upset) Oliver open up...please...its me (to

Ryan) we have to call security

Ryan: I'll go (he walks away)

Marissa: (bangs) Oliver

(not suprisingly, he opens this time)

Marissa: (relieved, she hugs him) oh my god your ok

Oliver: yeah, kinda

(Ryan comes back)

Ryan: you alright man?

Oliver: yeah a little embarrassed

Marissa: well when you didn't pick up the phone I thought that-

Oliver: yeah I was in the shower, sorry about that (Ryan doesn't look like he believes him) I got kinda messed up, but I'm good now, yeah, you guys should go, enjoy what's left of your weekend

Marissa: what're you talking about (walks in) we're not going anywhere

(Ryan & Oliver look at each other, Ryan nods then walks inside)

Marissa: so what did you take exactly

Oliver: uh I don't know...bunch'a sleeping pills, some pain K*llers

Marissa: well how many

Oliver: (sighs) I don't remember (walks over to Marissa) but I got em all outta my system, I promise

Marissa: (concerned) well did you drink any water cause your probably dehydrated

(Oliver sits on the couch)

Marissa: y'know what we should call room service, you want any ginger ale or gatorade

Ryan: maybe we should take him to the emergency room, I mean he swallowed all those pills

Oliver: if they were in my system I'da felt em by now

Ryan: yeah but I mean why take any chances I mean we can take ya now

Oliver: the thing is...if we go to the emergency room (Marissa sits next to him) they'll put me under su1c1de watch for seventy two hours, they'll call the cops an then they'll call my parents in Zurich, I mean the truth of it is I'm fine, really I jus wanna jus crawl into my bed and forget this day ever happened

CUT TO: The Cohen house - Kirsten is on the bed reading and a drunk Sandy tries to sneak in. he slowly shuts the door, unbeknownst to him Kirsten is watching, amused. Sandy turns away from the door and ends up next to the dresser, he's confused

Kirsten: (smiling) Sandy

Sandy: hey (excited) your awake (he walks to the bed and kicks his toe in the process) ooooh sh**t ow I'm sorry I'm sorry ssss ow ow ow oh

Kirsten: ow ow ow ow ow (Sandy kisses her) (suprised) are you drunk

Sandy: (makes a little motion with his fingers) but don't worry I took a cab

Kirsten: yeah, so did Hailey...dad cut her off an she cut me off

Sandy: oh, I'm sorry

Kirsten: so how was your night (Sandy laughs) oh that good huh

Sandy: y'know I'm not sure but I-I... I think Jimmy Cooper an I might of gone into business together tonight

Kirsten: (suprised) really, an what kinda business is that?

Sandy: the restaurant business

Kirsten: oh you are drunk

Sandy: oh in an adorable way I think, yeah, oiu, no

Kirsten: and what about the firm, Partridge, Savage an Con

Sandy: oh they'll have my body, an so will you by the way (Kirsten smiles) but the restaurant 'll have my soul and...my income (sighs) an my savings

Kirsten: an how can you do that

Sandy: look I'm makin more money then I've ever made in my life and I'm havin way less fun...I use to help people for a living, you remember that (laughs) ill tell you your buddy Jimmy Cooper man oh he needs some help. oh man if he doesn't get a job he's gonna have ta leave town an I-I don't want him to leave town (Kirsten looks happy about that) y'know its ben a long time since I've had a friend in Newport, I don't wanna have ta find another friend in Newport...am I crazy (Kirsten doesn't say anything) oh I'm crazy (lays down)

Kirsten: you have'ta be crazy to be in the restaurant business, but I think its great that you wanna help Jimmy (Sandy mumbles with his eyes closed) and be friends after all this time, it means alot to me (more mumbling) (Kirsten puts her head on his, then we hear heavy breathing) Sandy

CUT TO: Luke and Summer pulling up in the truck, back in Newport. Seth and Anna are in the back seat

Luke: (turns around) (whispers) ooh there sleepin

Summer: (looks at them) ugh (presses the horn)

(Seth & Anna both wake up)

Seth: hey we're home

Anna: mm

Seth: thanks for the ride buddy

Luke: mmhmm (pats Seth's hand)

Seth: great weekend huh

Anna: (getting out) bye Summer

Summer: bye

Luke: night

Seth: see ya guys

Luke: have fun

Seth: drive safely

Luke: so your into Cohen huh (Summer looks sad) must be kinda weird to see him with somebody else, it was for me anyway with Marissa

Summer: whatevs, I'm over it, moving on, ready for my next victim

Luke: (starts the car) well jus for the record whoever he turns out to be, he's a lucky dude (Summer looks at him) your lookin pretty hot these days Summer (Summer smiles) real hot (smiles)

Summer: thanks (Luke stares at her) oooh my god eww (laughs then stops herself) oh god I'm sorry Luke your-your cute an everything (shakes her head) but there's jus no way

Luke: (reverses) no worries

CUT TO: The penthouse - Ryan picks up an empty pill bottle from the floor, then he looks over towards where the clock ornament is

Marissa: (coming in) what're you doing, what're you looking for

Ryan: nothing, is he gonna be alright

Marissa: uh yeah I think so, but I told him id stay with him tonight

Ryan: what

Marissa: well I cant leave him alone, what if he tries it again

Ryan: (skeptical) if he tried it the first time

Marissa: what

Ryan: (sighs) what if he didn't try an k*ll himself tonight (puts the pill bottle down on the same table that the clock is on)

Marissa: what're you talking about

Ryan: he wouldn't let us take him to the hospital

Marissa: well maybe that's because he didn't want his parents shipping him off to an institution

Ryan: yeah, maybe he belongs there, I mean what kinda person does this (Marissa looks hurt, and suprised by that comment)

no not I-I didn't mean

Marisa: you should...go

Ryan: you weren't tryin'a k*ll yourself ok

Marissa: (angry) yeah well maybe Oliver wasn't either, but he's my friend and I cant jus leave him alone tonight...so you know what jus go home an ill see you in the morning (Ryan looks hurt)

Oliver: (coming out) sorry to interrupt um I just wanted to say thanks Ryan, for everything man, sorry for ruining your weekend (Ryan looks at him) night

Marissa: (sighs) ill call you tomorrow (walks away)

(Ryan looks back, worried then goes to the door, he stops outside the door, worried - fade out)