01x17 - The Rivals

All episode transcripts for the TV show "The O.C.". Aired August 2003 - April 2007.*
Watch/Buy Amazon

A troubled youth becomes embroiled in the lives of a close-knit group of people in the wealthy, upper-class neighborhood of Newport Beach, Orange County, California.

01x17 - The Rivals

Post by bunniefuu »

CUT TO: Marissa walking away from her locker, Ryan catches up to her

Ryan: (running) hi (gets beside her) hey...how are you

Marissa: I'm ok

Ryan: how's Oliver

Marissa: (suprised, but happy) you really wanna know?

Ryan: yeah, yeah I do

Marissa: he...feels bad, he doesn't understand why he took a bunch'a pills an you an I got into a fight over it, by the way I don't get it either

Ryan: right I know, an I know I've ben a little weird about everything but...he's your friend...so he's my friend (Marissa stops & looks at him) I know I'm not sayin I might not get weird about it again but, I wanna try, you wanna hang out with him you want me to its ok its-its better then ok its-its its uh... great

Marissa: great?

Ryan: (smiles) yeah well greats probably pushing it a little but uh (raises his eyebrows) definitely good

Marissa: (smiles) thanks (she kisses him)

Mr. Bendis: Ryan, Marissa uh I want you to meet our new transfer student, says you're all friends

(Oliver comes out & smiles, Marissa smiles, Ryan just stares disbelievingly at him)

Theme Song - California by Phantom Planet

Still at the Harbor school - Seth and Anna are walking the halls together

Anna: oo hey so I was thinking (links arms with Seth) maybe after school we could go play a little bit'a jenga, yeah

Seth: nooo

Anna: or we could go get some comics, we haven't done that in a while (Seth shakes his head) ok we could go to south coast plaza an quietly mock people

Seth: or, why don't we try an do something different (Anna try's to pull her hand away but Seth grabs it) like check it out I got some ideas muscle-car racing

Anna: (frowns) what

Seth: mm or-or OR we could learn Israeli self defense they call it Krav Maga

Anna: (laughs) Seth

Seth: Krav Maga (makes movements with his hands)

Anna: c'mon

Seth: what

Anna: why don't we jus got to the IMAX theatre an see the move on migrating birds

Anna: Imax Anna, I think we're cooler then that right now, I think we're a little bit passed that why don't we uh take Luke's sea do out for a spin huh, that'd be fun, I'm looking to branch out into different water sports

Anna: ok ill support that

Seth: good an if not you know we can argue about it

Anna: no I think it's good, it's important that we change things up, we don't wanna get all boring

Seth: good cause I definitely think that its important for us to not always do the same stuff or y'know dress the same or whatever (they look at what the other is wearing. both have similar clothes, but not identical) damnit

Anna: wow, you take Israeli self defense ill take muscle-cars (they high five)

Seth: you got yourself a little deal there

Anna: partner

(Seth sees Marissa & Ryan come into the hall, followed by Oliver. Anna turns around & sees them walking towards them)

Anna: hey

Seth: hey, Oliver what's up man (does their handshake thing) you visiting Harbor

Ryan: actually Oliver goes here now

Oliver: never to late for a new start

Seth: (looks straight at Ryan) what a suprise (Ryan looks uneasy)

Oliver: (to Marissa) so you didn't tell anyone

Marissa: (shrugs) well I didn't think you really meant it

Oliver: of course, I have more friends here then I did at my last school

Anna: anyways I'm gonna go wash up, its tuna melt Monday an we love tuna melt (tickles Seth)

Seth: yes we do, I was actually looking forward though to sampling some of the other items on the menu

Anna: oh good, that's-that's good that's great (Anna walks off)

Seth: bye bye

(Seth looks at Ryan, Ryan looks back at Seth an shakes his head)

Marissa: so I was thinking of taking Oliver to the book store since we both have free periods now

Oliver: yeah Marissa an I have like the exact same schedule, what are the odds

Ryan: (skeptical) crazy (Marissa looks at him) have fun

Marissa: kay c'mon

(Marissa & Oliver both walk off)

Seth: later on

(Ryan watches them walk away, he looks suspicious of Oliver)

Seth: there it is man tuna melts, tuna melts Ryan, what am I gonna have ta give up next

Ryan: ok Oliver goes here did you notice that?

Seth: yeah I was tryin'a take one more sh*t at talking about myself but I did notice

Ryan: (worked up) an you don't find that completely an totally

Seth: embrace the friend, ok, please, I'm sure there's a perfectly good explanation

Anna: (yells) Seth, c'mon

Seth: (softly) I gotta go

CUT TO: Cohen house - Sandy is in his office, Jimmy comes in while he's on the phone

Sandy: an my twelve o'clock, right the sixteen year old with his third DUI (waves one finger to Jimmy) who do I have at six oh the travel agent who falsely advertised the bohemian beach house (Jimmy smiles) what a day alright thanks Corey, bye (hangs up) four years'a Burkley law fifteen years as a public defender so I could become judge Judy

Jimmy: I like her, she's tough but fair, I've ben watchin alotta day time TV, what's the big deal what's goin on

Sandy: tomorrow we're goin'a lunch

Jimmy: you couldn't of told me that on the phone

Sandy: at the light house

Jimmy: yeah except for the light house is closed, forever

(they are now in the kitchen)

Sandy: well I got em to open it up again, so we could take a look at it, make sure we wanna buy it

Jimmy: (shocked) are you serious

Sandy: I sure am (smiles) you can thank me later

Jimmy: hoh we were five martinis deep we-we were joking, there was singing involved

Sandy: I remember, you alienated several waitresses

Jimmy: well that one liked me

Sandy: (smiles) you were drunk

Jimmy: that's my point, we cannot - open a restaurant, that's crazy

Sandy: why, why is that so crazy?

Jimmy: because we don't know anything about running a restaurant

Sandy: oh c'mon man you managed the light house for two years

Jimmy: (correcting) two summers an I was stoned an drunk in college, it was the 80's

Sandy: well ya might wanna keep that from the investors

Jimmy: restaurants...fail

Sandy: not all of em

Jimmy: I don't have the capital

Sandy: I'm workin on that

Jimmy: look it's-it's it's not a good time for me I

Sandy: that's exactly my point, look if you don't find somethin soon the next stop for you is Phoenix, the way I look at it you got nothin'a lose an we both have everything to gain, so c'mon, am I gonna see ya tomorrow

(Jimmy sighs and shakes his head)

CUT TO: Kirsten's office - she and Julie are coming in

Kirsten: (rushing) I'm sorry I-I can't do lunch today

Julie: well what about tomorrow

Kirsten: it's a little hectic right now

Julie: well the Fred Segal sale is happening I was thinking maybe a little Nobu, a road trip

Kirsten: that's even less likely then lunch

Julie: (not giving up) movie?

Kirsten: no

Julie: coffee?

Kirsten: (sighs) Julie I really appreciate your desire to be such good friends, but the thing about good friends is that when they want something, they just ask

Julie: the interior design job, I know it's available I want it

Kirsten: (nods) ah-huh I-I thought you wanted me to water your plants or baby-sit Caitlyn

Julie: right because you don't take me seriously as a working woman as a designer

Kirsten: you're not really experienced, qualified

Julie: before I had Marissa I was doing lots of design work

Kirsten: you had Marissa when you were eighteen

Julie: (smiles) I know your usual model home designer fell out at the last minute, I know you have no one (Kirsten looks at her) Caleb pillow talk, he thought the idea was inspired

Kirsten: well it-it's definitely thinking outside the box

Julie: he told me he's staying out of it though, that its up to you, look one house one sh*t if I screw up you can fire me yourself its a win win

(Kirsten closes her eyes)

CUT TO: Harbor school - Summer, Anna, Luke and Danny are eating lunch at the tables, Seth comes over with his. they are all laughing hysterically

Seth: hi, what's so funny?

Summer: (still laughing) Danny he's like the funniest guy ever

Seth: yeah? hey man I'm Seth (shakes Danny's hand) good to meet you

Danny: (referring to Seth's tuna) oh I see your yellow tails not as fresh as mine, are to taste my albacore

(they all laugh, Luke laughs so hard he snorts)

Luke: (still laughing) he's like straight out of a Bruce Lee movie

(Seth doesn't find it funny, and looks at everyone weird)

Danny: (to Seth) hey who took the jelly outta your doughnut (Seth doesn't laugh) somebody call CSI we got ourselves a cold one here huh

(everyone laughs again, except Seth)

Luke: (laughing) CSI

Danny: hey tag that toe (points to Seth) (everyone laughs more, except Seth)

Seth: alright well somebody call ER I think Luke's gonna...bust a gut (Seth smiles & the rest stop laughing and look at him, he sits at the table)

Luke: (confused) I don't get it

Seth: (to Anna) hey it looks like we both got tuna, mines just raw an missing cheese (Seth smiles and again everyone looks at him weird)

Summer: (stands) time for class

Anna: ok

Summer: (laughing) I'm gonna go to the bathroom

Danny: hey don't fall in

(they all laugh, Luke is laughing so hard he's snorting, Seth sits there looking at them all, not laughing)

CUT TO: The student lounge - Ryan is sitting, studying with his books and Oliver comes in

Oliver: hey (Ryan looks up) is this seat available?

Ryan: ah sure yeah

Oliver: (sits & puts his books down) wow whoo I'm so behind already

Ryan: (still working) I know the feeling

Oliver: does junior year ever get easier

Ryan: thought you were a senior

Oliver: not a good one an Harbor being as competitive as it is, not all my credits transferred

Ryan: but you still wanted to come here

Oliver: wasn't up to me, my parents insisted, put the paperwork in a while ago

Ryan: why transfer at all, a little over a semester from graduating

Oliver: jus wasn't...workin for me at pacific

Ryan: because

Oliver: because...there was an...incident

Ryan: what kinda incident

Oliver: ...look I've made some mistakes in my life, I don't think that's a suprise or a secret but if (sits forward) if you could jus give me a chance Ryan jus (Ryan looks at him) let me in like I know people let you in...I could finally start over, that's really all I want

(they both look at each other. Marissa comes in)

Marissa: hey guys

Ryan: hey

Oliver: hey

Marissa: (sits next to Ryan) oh so Ryan I thought maybe we could go to Oliver's after school

Oliver: order in some room service

Marissa: (smiles) yeah you wanna come...I was gonna help him with his French (Oliver smiles)

Ryan: French? didn't you live in Paris for a couple'a years

Oliver: a year when I was thirteen

Ryan: oh you need Marissa to help you

Oliver: well sweet talkin my way into a club isn't the same as conjugating the infinitive

Ryan: right you guys go ahead I told Seth I'd meet him back home

(Oliver & Marissa stand up, Oliver offers his hand to Ryan to shake it, Ryan hesitates then stands up and shakes his hand. Marissa smiles, Oliver smiles, Ryan half smiles)

Marissa: (to Ryan) you sure you don't wanna come

Ryan: yeah, I trust you

Marissa: (kisses Ryan on the cheek) you should

(Marissa & Oliver walk out. Ryan watches them & Oliver looks back and smiles at Ryan)

CUT TO: The Cohen house - Ryan and Seth are playing the playstation in the living room, Sandy and Kirsten are setting the table in the dining room

Seth: I don't trust him

Sandy: trust who?

Seth: Summers new (unsure) boyfriend or whatever, somethin jus sorta seems off about him

Kirsten: off how?

Seth: I don't know, he's jus not funny (to Ryan) you know who I'm talkin about right, he's big (Ryan sighs) but big isn't necessarily funny, it's cheap

Ryan: (worried) he said there was an incident

Seth: big funny guy did?

Ryan: no Oliver

Seth: (rolls his eyes) ugh dude please can we forget Oliver for five seconds an talk about me

Ryan: it's the reason he left pacific w-w-what if he's violent

Seth: gee new guy shows up violent, angry prone to punching people that'd be really weird

Ryan: he needs Marissa to help him with his French, he lived in France

Seth: ok your right we should call the cops cause Oliver lost his grasp on the subjunctive

Sandy: fajitas are served

Seth: (looks) oooo

Ryan: (sits forward) nothing adds up an if I try to say anything ta Marissa

Seth: mm-mm

Ryan: maybe there's somebody I could talk to, try to figure out what happened

Seth: yeah ok or you can jus break into the file room an steal his bio ok...or you can be a grown up forget about it an move on ok like I am, to the fajitas (gets up)

(Ryan sits there, he looks as though he's thinking)

CUT TO: Ryan riding his bike, its night - he stops out the front of a building and gets off. a security guard is there

S.G: hey can I help you

Ryan: I-I forgot a book in my locker (shows the guard his school I.D)

S.G: (nods) (unlocks the door) alright it's open, make it quick

(Ryan goes up the stairs and through the door, the guard shuts the door behind him and stays outside. Ryan is now in the halls he goes to a door that says 'file storage' and opens it. he looks both ways before going in. he shuts the door and turns on a small flash light. he walks around till he finds the right file cabinet. opens the drawer and finds Oliver files. he puts it on top of the drawer. he opens it up and we see a photo of Oliver, on the left hand side there is a letter that has 'CONFIDENTIAL' in big red letters. Ryan starts reading the letter then the guard busts him)

S.G: (shines his torch) hey what're you doing

(Ryan shuts the file & looks stunned at the guard)

CUT TO: Harbor school the next day - Ryan, Sandy and Kirsten are in Dr Kim's office

Dr Kim: I don't think I need to explain what a serious offence this is

Kirsten: we understand and believe me when I tell you Ryan will be punished

Dr Kim: I'm afraid it won't end there, this matter will be presented to the disciplinary committee, suspension even expulsion are not out of the question

Sandy: of course the school must do what it deems appropriate but I beg ya to understand that this is very uncharacteristic of Ryan

Dr Kim: indeed Mr. Atwood an Harbor seemed like a remarkably good fit, which leads me to wonder (to Ryan) why would you do this

Ryan: I jus...I don't trust this kid, Oliver, he seems suspicious and suddenly he's going here now

Dr Kim: I assure you Oliver went through the same screening process as any other student here

Ryan: he has a history of instability, I was concerned...for Marissa

Dr Kim: has he ever made any threats to her, anything to warrant your suspicions

Ryan: no but he's ben spending alotta time with her (Dr Kim just looks at him) and um there's this letter in his file

Dr Kim: a confidential letter (raises her eyebrows)

Ryan: that says they found him - in the men's bathroom at Pacific - having cut his wrists (Sandy & Kirsten look at Ryan) over a girl (to Sandy & Kirsten) she filed a restraining order that's why he left

Kirsten: (to Dr Kim) is this true

Dr Kim: two years ago, since then he's ben institutionalised an everyone involved in Mr. Trask's rehabilitation believed his best chance was a change in his environment

Sandy: and the school was receptive to him, despite his history

Dr Kim: Harbor is known to make exceptions for students with troubled backgrounds (Ryan shuts his eyes) but who show extraordinary promise

Ryan: I'm sorry

Kirsten: we are too

Dr Kim: (to Ryan) we will see you at three pm for detention which you will attend every day until the committee reaches its verdict

Sandy: (stands) well thankyou Dr Kim (shakes her hand)

Kirsten: thankyou (shakes her hand)

CUT TO: Anna in the halls, she's waiting for Seth. Seth comes out of a classroom

Anna: Seth! (happy) hey!

Seth: (smiles) hey

Anna: I have a suprise for you

Seth: really

Anna: (holds up tickets) two tickets to see bright eyes, we've never seen em before so I thought 'd be different, right

Seth: Anna bright eyes, really

Anna: yes, yes

(in the background we hear Summer screaming happily. Summer & Danny walk up together)

Danny: Summer you got, right there (points to her skirt)

Summer: (looks down) where?

Danny: (flicks her in the nose, remember that old joke?) ooooh

(Seth rolls his eyes and Summer laughs)

Summer: (still laughing) hi guys

Seth: hey Summer hi Danny

Danny: hey ooh Seth you got a little (points) nasty there

Seth: (doesn't look down) ok

Danny: no seriously you got-you got a tuna stain or somethin

Seth: (not falling for it) well ill be sure an uh get it washed

Danny: (not giving up) Seth seriously all kidding aside you've got something there and I think you're gonna wanna clean it up

(Seth looks at him, Danny looks at Seth then moves his eyes in the direct he's pointing, does it again and Seth doesn't look down)

Anna: Seth... you do have something there

Seth: (looks at Anna, then down) what

(Danny makes a noise then flicks his finger up which goes in Seth's nose. Anna bursts out laughing, as does Summer)

Seth: (fake laughs) you got me, you got me

(Danny & Anna high five each other)

Summer: (still laughing) god isn't he like the funniest guy ever

Anna: yeah

Danny: (to Summer as they are walking away) hey you wanna come over later I Tivo'd lenno

Summer: uh sure!

(Seth & Anna watch them walk away, Danny makes Summer laugh more)

Seth: (looking away) ugh god who watches lenno that explains everything

Anna: explains what Seth

Seth: why this Danny guy is so not funny

Anna: he's funny

Seth: no he's not funny ok he's big, big is not funny

Anna: whatever (holds the tickets) Seth Friday night bright eyes

Seth: anyone can be big that's kinda my point right, bein obvious there's no accomplishment (Anna looks at him) in that (Anna looks down) what?

Anna: you're jealous

Seth: (mouth open) of Danny's comedy, no sweetie (brushes her hair out of her eyes) I'm not

Anna: no, of Danny, if you weren't you'd be happy for Summer, you'd embrace the friend

(Seth scrunches up his face & Anna walks off, Seth is left in the empty hall way)

CUT TO: The light house - Sandy and Jimmy are there

Sandy: I love this place, I mean all it needs is a little nip an a tuck

Jimmy: (unsure) yeah but are we the right doctors for the job

Sandy: (raises his hands) hands of a surgeon, c'mon Coop get excited get involved, we'll blow this wall out we'll make it all one room, y'know big leather booths, keep it dark but not to dark, y'know jus like it was for Bogie & Becall

Jimmy: oh o your serious about this aren't you

Sandy: yeah n- now whadda ya got

Jimmy: well you know they use to have great live music here

Sandy: I like it, what cabaret

Jimmy: actually jazz

Sandy: jazz works that's good

Jimmy: (thinks) how bout a raw bar

Sandy: o-ok as long as it feels timeless

Jimmy: oh yeah it will, Gary Cooper was a big oyster man and a big drinker

Sandy: ok ok so no frou frou drinks no-no no umbrellas no fruit wedges, nothin Gary wouldn't approve of

Jimmy: only one kind of martini

Sandy: thankyou and only the finest scotch, now we're gonna have to have meatloaf on the menu my mother makes the greatest meatloaf an I-I can get the recipe

Jimmy: no my mother makes the greatest meatloaf an I have the recipe

Sandy: oh

Jimmy: there can be two meatloaf's on the menu

Sandy: we'll make restaurant history...hello light house, your ship has come in

CUT TO: Kirsten's office - Julie has taken it over with her project, and there are people helping her in there

Julie: ok now you know where your going for the slate yes uh Brenda Anton has the sea grass mats and Betsy Vontoff is going to do the flowers hydrangeas only people ok (taps her hands twice) we have seventy two hours to make this open house (Kirsten comes in & stops, stunned) I want a full progress report an Po's by the end of the day, lets get it done, go

(everyone leaves, walking passed a stunned Kirsten)

Julie: oo hey sorry about your office Kiki I needed a base camp for operation model home

Kirsten: ok Julie I think maybe a little bit, you've lost your mind this is a disaster

Julie: Kirsten if you stopped open heart surgery half way through it would look like m*rder

Kirsten: you have seventy two hours! I gave you a list of the usual vendors

Julie: see there's that word 'usual' what I'm doing is, special, it's inspired (points to an ugly statue thing of a frog)

Kirsten: you're never gonna get this done in time

Julie: well there's a good attitude thanks for puttin that out in the universe

Kirsten: all you need for this is open house is a few accent rugs a couch, maybe a potted plant, we're selling a space

Julie: well I'm selling a lifestyle, Kirsten the Newport group should be an aspirational brand

Kirsten: (confused) aspirational, is that even a word?

Julie: look I know it seems ambitious and it'll be expensive but sometimes you gotta spend money ta make money...hey are you hungry, I'm starved

(she walks out, Kirsten watches her, not impressed)

CUT TO: Harbor school - Ryan is walking down stairs, he stops at the bottom and sees Marissa and Oliver at Marissa's locker. Ryan moves behind the corner out of view and watches Oliver pull a letter out of his pocket & give it to Marissa. the bell goes so Marissa puts the letter in her locker, shuts it & walks off with Oliver. Ryan watches them then goes over to Marissa's locker, he looks at the locker, then looks both ways, he's breathing heavily and you can tell he's contemplating opening it

CUT TO: The Cohen kitchen - Sandy and Kirsten are lecturing Ryan on what he did

Sandy: why'd ya do it? if they vote to expel you there's nothin we can do you-you will have taken this opportunity an tanked it and wh-why (gets down next to Ryan) are you jealous of this Oliver kid

Ryan: no no I'm not jealous (looks at Kirsten, then Sandy) look you guys may not believe me, no one may believe me

Sandy: (raises his voice) the first time I met the kid he was in jail, you said he has a medical history your right - ok - he's trouble, now your the one who might be expelled

Kirsten: (disappointed/angry) if only you had come to us

Ryan: I wanted to deal with it myself

Sandy: well done, well done

Kirsten: do you know hard we worked- you worked to get inta that school

Sandy: you can't help Marissa you can't even help yourself

Ryan: (upset) ok I screwed up...yet again (sighs) so now what (softly) are you gonna kick me out?

Sandy: you think you can mess up so bad that we'll jus give up on ya (Ryan looks at him) ya cant, you are part of this family now an your gonna feel the full weight of that! your gonna wish we threw you out

(Sandy walks out, Ryan looks over at Kirsten who also walks out, and Ryan looks down)
CUT TO: The pool house - Seth is coming in, Ryan is sitting there in the dark. it's very reflective of his mood/how he's feeling right now

Seth: (stands at the door) hey man um I couldn't help but over hear, oh well actually I was eaves dropping but their pretty pissed huh

Ryan: (softly) yeah well I deserved it

Seth: yeah...well good so this is over then now, I mean, lesson learned an all that

(Ryan looks at Seth almost pleadingly)

Ryan: (gets up) today I saw Oliver give Marissa a letter (turns the lamp on) (sighs) which she put in her locker (Ryan unzips his bag & pulls the letter out)

Seth: ...and um...seein Oliver do this inspired you to write a letter of your own (Ryan walks over and holds the letter out to Seth) so this is Oliver's letter (takes it) that Marissa asked you to mail?

Ryan: ...I took it from her locker

Seth: dude, what is wrong with you! (hands the letter back) ya haven't read it have you?

Ryan: no, not yet

Seth: not yet not ever, you can't read it ok you have to put it back

Ryan: (worried) what if he's after her! he's a sick kid he could hurt her

Seth: (puts his finger up) Oliver has not done anything to Marissa except be her friend, ok stop it! you're in enough trouble already, and honestly you're starting...to freak me out a little bit (Ryan looks at him) just will you promise me that you will put it back (Ryan doesn't say anything) will you promise me that you will put it back

(Ryan closes his eyes, then nods)

Seth: (leaving) put it back

Ryan: I will

Seth: put it back (leaves)

(Ryan walks over to the bed and puts the letter back in his bag, he stands up and closes his eyes, he looks down, bends back down and takes the letter out. he sits on the bed and opens it quickly. he reads it and is breathing heavily and looks worried)

CUT TO: Seth's bedroom the next morning - Ryan knocks on the door

Seth: come in (Ryan comes in the door) hey man

Ryan: (nervous) ok uh I know everything you said last night but I need'a talk to you

Seth: you read it?

Ryan: (holding it) its worse then I imagined

Seth: (closes his eyes) god no, please don't!

Ryan: (scared) he says he can't live without her, that he's never met anyone like her

Seth: I don't care, I don't wanna hear it ok that letters like the ring an anyone who reads it's gonna die, plus not to mention its also a federal offence!

Ryan: ok I'm being serious

Seth: so am I! ok that is Marissa's letter that you stole from her locker an read, if she finds out you guys are done!

Ryan: ok-ok I get that but Oliver-

Seth: Oliver might be crazy ya might be right but you know what, right now your givin him a run for his money

(we hear a knock at Seth's door, its Marissa)

Marissa: hey Seth is Ryan there

Ryan: yeah hey

(Ryan puts the letter back in his bag, Seth shakes his head)

Marissa: (coming in) (smiles) hey what're you guys doing

Seth: uh Ryan was jus waxing my back could you give us a second it sorta stings

Marissa: (laughs) yeah sure, I just wanted to know if maybe after school today you wanted to take that cooking lesson with Oliver

(Ryan looks at Seth, Seth raises his eyebrows)

Ryan: (follows Marissa out) uh I-I cant I'm helping Kirsten move furniture in the new model home

(Seth sighs & rolls his eyes)

CUT TO: Kirsten's office - Julie is crying in there and Kirsten comes in and sees her

Kirsten: (concerned) Julie

Julie: (sighs) it's a disaster

Kirsten: what was all that about open heart surgery

Julie: (crying) I lost the patient

Kirsten: (sits) what happened

Julie: its what didn't happen, no slate no bubbling fountains no sea grass (cries) the hydrangeas are out of season, I have forty eight hours until the open house an we have nothing

Kirsten: we can fix this

Julie: no we cant

Kirsten: way ta put that into the universe Julie...ill call my vendors, it may not be anything special, may not be aspirational

Julie: oh god I don't give a rat's ass if Caleb sees that house empty (cries)

Kirsten: he won't, but you gotta be ready to work, get your hands dirty

Julie: manicures not till Friday (Kirsten smiles & leaves)

CUT TO: Harbor school - Seth and Anna are getting drinks

Anna: mmm

Seth: hi can I have a orange peel smoothie with a splash of pineapple please

Anna: ill have the same (Seth shakes his head no) except with some strawberry an banana

(Seth nods & mouths 'right. in the background we hear Summer laughing, then we see Summer walking in with Danny who is acting like a pterodactyl. Anna laughs, Seth doesn't)

Summer: (laughing) Mr. Parker totally looked like a pterodactyl

Seth: (cringes) oh god he does impersonations

Anna: (looks at him) Seth

Danny: (with a home boy sound) hey why you all up in my kool aid not even knowin the flavour

(Summer & Anna laugh)

Danny: hey Summer

Summer: what

Danny: you know who wants a smoothie

Summer: who

Danny: (holds two fingers out & puts on a cutesy voice) Mr. Jekyll (tickles her)

Summer: (laughs & squeals) oh my god

Seth: (Anna looks at him) uh Danny hey man what're you doin after school, you wanna maybe come over an hang out at my house, I've tivo'd some lenno Sean William Scotts on

Danny: (nods) oh lenno Sean William Scott nice, double the comedy (holds his fist out to Seth)

Seth: oh I'm sorry I didn't see (hits Danny's fist with his)

CUT TO: Jimmy's house - there is urgent pressing of the doorbell then a knock at the door, Jimmy goes to answer it. it's Sandy

Jimmy: hey man

Sandy: (smiles) hey

Jimmy: I thought you were in court

Sandy: nah it was a settlement conference I almost never go to court anymore (excited) so order up some martinis an meatloaf we got ourselves a restaurant (Jimmy looks shocked) oh I-I thought you'd be a little more excited

Jimmy: oh I n wh-what'd you do

Sandy: I put a down payment on the place, tomorrow we go sign the title

Jimmy: (sighs) look I haven't had a chance to come up with my share of the money ok

Sandy: oh no I covered it, listen we can work out a get even scheme once we're afloat

Jimmy: so what I-I work for you

Sandy: oh Jimmy come on man you were one click away from manning the mechanical bull at the new cow boy bar

Jimmy: (sits on the stairs) look I jus wanna be able to pull my own weight, you've already done enough for me as it is

Sandy: look I'm not doin it jus for you, this could mean freedom for both of us, you could stay in Newport at a job ya like an oh it'd give me a break from all my rich spoilt clients an the office politics, we could work for ourselves

Jimmy: (unsure) I-I I don't know Sandy I just I-I think I need a little more time

Sandy: how much more time do you need?

Jimmy: it's too fast, it's too soon

Sandy: ok great-great I got an idea lets wait till we're dead...I gotta go settle

(Sandy leaves, Jimmy sits there & closes his eyes)

CUT TO: Harbor school - Ryan is in the halls and there is barely anyone around. he goes to Marissa's locker, pulls the letter out of his bag and puts it in his jeans pocket. he does the combination on the lock, then we pan up and see Oliver is standing there

Oliver: that is so cool (Ryan looks up) that you know Marissa's combo, shows alotta trust you know

Ryan: (smiles) yeah well for emergencies

Oliver: (smiles) oh yeah what's the emergency (raises eyebrows) ran out of erasers, no more ink left in your pen

Ryan: nah it's a book I forgot

Oliver: (laughs) jus kidding around man

(Luke comes over to them)

Luke: yo (touches Ryan on the back) the last class of the day is so tough to get through

Oliver: yeah I know

Luke: (to Oliver) wassup (they knock fists)

Oliver: wassup...hey uh Marissa an I were talking about putting together a camping trip (shrugs) like Santa Monica mountains, the whole g*ng

Ryan: sure yeah

Luke: sounds awesome man

Oliver: alright I'll let her know that you are in...well long bathroom break, I should go (laughs) see ya

(they watch him leave)

Luke: (to Ryan) yeah I do not like that kid at all

Ryan: yeah don't you think that um...

Luke: he's here for Marissa, hell yeah...you gotta let that guy know back off! i'll do it for you if you want

Ryan: uh ill keep that in mind (smiles)

Luke: well jus give me the word an I will drop the great Gatsby (smashes his fists together for emphasis)

(Ryan watches Luke leave, then looks back in Oliver's direction, worried)

CUT TO: The Cohen house - Seth and Danny are in the living room playing the playstation. Seth doesn't look like he's having much fun

Danny: did your momma teach ya how to play this game (laughs) you didn't think I'd pack the heat did ya (Seth looks at him) think you could jus get me here huh, home court advantage well guess what, who's got the secret codes...Danny does...guess what buddy (chucks the controller down) you are punked! there's a camera there (points) camera there (points) and a camera right there (points) (Seth looks at him like he's crazy) who's your daddy who's your daddy (makes circle motions with his hand)

(Sandy comes in)

Sandy: hey kid settlement happened sooner then I thought

Seth: hey oh good this is my friend uh uh Danny

Sandy: hey how are ya (waves) I'm Sandy

Danny: why don't you take a shower

Sandy: (not following) pardon me

Danny: jus-jus kiddin I-I like ya dirty (whispers) sandy, dirty, sandy, dirty

(Sandy looks at Seth & Seth shakes his head. Sandy & Seth are now in the kitchen)

Sandy: (whispers) whoa that kid is not funny

Seth: thankyou, I know

Sandy: he makes Ryan look funny

Seth: he makes Marissa look funny

Sandy: gentiles, I love your mother more then words (Seth nods) but not funny, get yourself some funnier friends (leaves)

(Seth goes back in to Danny)

Seth: (puts drink down) there you go

Danny: oh thanks man

Seth: sure

Danny: oh I am so parched (takes a drink) oh dude have you seen my impression of Mr. Parker (begins to do it)

Seth: yes pterodactyl I've seen it, its good

Danny: (laughs)...hey listen man c-can I can I ask you a favour

Seth: sure

Danny: whenever your around Summer could you...this is weird but could you-could you try an be a little less funny, man all I ever hear from her is how funny Seth Cohen is how he's the funniest guy she's ever met (Seth is suprised) I mean I like her so much an I'm just I'm killin myself to hang in there

Seth: she said that about me, that she thinks I'm the funniest guy ever

Danny: yes! you an...some dude named Captain Oats...who the hell is Captain Oats

Seth: well chin up Danny because you know what, I think your funny...I jus think an if you don't mind me saying so that you could go a little uh-uh bigger with your comedy I think your sorta small a little under the radar

Danny: yeah

Seth: yeah bigs hillarious

Danny: big

Seth: yeah

Danny: alright man thanks yeah ill-ill give that a sh*t

Seth: give it a sh*t

Danny: ill give it a (emphasised) sh*t

Seth: hey!

CUT TO: Harbor school - Marissa is in Dr Kim's office

Dr Kim: thanks for making time for me after school, I know how busy you are

Marissa: of course, what's going on?

Dr Kim: why don't you have a seat (Marissa hesitates, then sits down) so I know this is a little outside my job description as dean, I felt I had a responsibility to have an honest conversation with you

Marissa: what is it?

Dr Kim: I need to talk to you about one of our transfer students with whom I know you have a relationship and who I'm worried might not be so stable

Marissa: (smiles) I appreciate it Dr Kim but I'm well aware of Oliver's issues

Dr Kim: it's not Oliver I wanna talk about

(Marissa frowns)

CUT TO: Ryan in detention - he's sitting there tapping his pen and watching the clock. it hits 5pm

Teacher: detentions over gentleman, see you tomorrow

(Ryan is relieved and packs up his things. he walks out the door and Marissa is waiting for him)

Marissa: I thought you were helping Kirsten

Ryan: I got detention

Marissa: I see that, what for?

Ryan: (sighs) I failed this chemistry quiz, slackin off on some homework

Marissa: that's a lie

Ryan: what're you talkin about?

Marissa: I heard about what happened, your break in

Ryan: (puts his bag down) I did it to protect you

Marissa: what, what're you talking about

Ryan: I don't trust him and he has a history of girls he's obsessed with

Marissa: he is not obsessed with me, you know ever since he showed up you never trusted him an ok that's who you are but you have'ta trust me

Ryan: the kid has serious issue

Marissa: who doesn't?

Ryan: he's in love with you

Marissa: (fed up) we're jus friends

Ryan: (looks at her) yeah (pulls the letter out) then what's this

Marissa: (takes the letter) where did you get this (Ryan doesn't say anything) you stole it from my locker (Ryan nods) I've ben looking everywhere for this

Ryan: so you know what this is, what this says

Marissa: (upset) I can't believe you, I can't believe you stole it! you read it!

Ryan: I'm sorry but how can you say he's not in love with you

Marissa: because he didn't write it to me he wrote it to Natalie, he wants to get back together with her an he jus wanted me to read it first

(Ryan is speechless, Marissa starts crying)

Ryan: look...I'm sorry

Marissa: (softly) I can't do this anymore (Ryan looks at her) ...because now...I don't trust you (walks off)

(Ryan watches her leave)

CUT TO: Cohen kitchen - Sandy is in there and Kirsten comes in

Kirsten: morning

Sandy: morning

Kirsten: you ok?

Sandy: well...I'm spose to sign the title on the light house today

Kirsten: I can't believe your buying a restaurant

Sandy: funny that's what Jimmy said jus before he backed out

Kirsten: he did

Sandy: (nods) I mean I know the whole idea seems crazy but I thought that was part of the appeal

Kirsten: well what're you gonna do

Sandy: I'm jus gonna have'ta see if I can buy a little time an you know not lose the place

Kirsten: well you can always hire Julie as a partner, I think she'll be available, I have to show my father the model home this morning and we had no time to pull it together, I believe he will be under-whelmed

Sandy: well the Coopers sure keep things unpredictable huh

Kirsten: no I predicted that Julie would be fired

(Seth comes in)

Sandy: top of the mornin to ya son (Seth waves) did you talk to Ryan last night

Seth: uh no he jus came home an went straight to bed

(Ryan comes in)

Kirsten: hey, do you want something to eat, you missed dinner you must be hungry

Ryan: I'm ok, thanks

Seth: hey man what times Marissa picking you up cause I was gonna maybe go early with Anna

Ryan: Marissa's not pickin me up

(they all look at him, then he leaves the kitchen)

CUT TO: Kirsten's office - Julie is anxiously waiting to hear what Caleb thinks

Julie: (pacing) he hasn't called yet

Kirsten: I know

Julie: is it bad that he hasn't called yet?

Kirsten: it doesn't mean anything

(in the background we hear 'here you go Mr. Nichol' Julie turns around and Caleb enters)

Caleb: hello

Julie: hi Cal

Kirsten: hey dad

Caleb: well I jus got back from the new development

Kirsten: look...it was short notice and Julie did the best she could considering

Caleb: you're preaching to the converted...I loved it! (Kirsten & Julie are both shocked) the decor was simple, classic just the way I like it allows the architecture an the views to sell themselves

Julie: (happy) you're happy

Kirsten: (shocked) you're happy

Caleb: pleased as punch, our Julie here hit one outta the park on her first swing (laughs)

Julie: well what can I say its...it's my true passion (Kirsten rolls her eyes)

Caleb: well now your passions your job, Kiki you can stop looking for a new decorator, we've found our girl

Kirsten: (shocked) we have

Julie: (suprised) we have

Caleb: the fact that you two are such close friends jus makes the decision all the easier, it'll be fun you two working together side by side (Julie smiles, Caleb goes to leave but stops) have you lost your mind Kiki that thing is...unsightly (referring to the frog statue from earlier)

(Kirsten looks at Julie)

Julie: (smiles) well who could have predicted this

(Kirsten smiles, not saying anything)

CUT TO: Harbor school - Seth walks up to Summer who is at the lockers

Seth: hey Summer

Summer: (sad) hey Cohen

Seth: how are ya?

Summer: ok

Seth: yeah

Summer: its jus Danny, I mean he was like really funny right

Seth: (nods) yeah

Summer: (confused) and now all of a sudden he's gotten like (frowns) big

(Seth frowns, Danny is further down the hallway)

Danny: (laughing) hey Seth check it out, woohoo (humps a guy from behind as they walk into class, he also waves his arm like a cow boy)

Guy: (heard in the background) get off me!

(Summer & Seth just stare shocked)

Seth: now that's funny

Summer: (sighs) yeah, well that's the end of him (sighs) I guess I really will end up...bitter and alone

Seth: hey, I'm sorry (rubs her arm)

Summer: an I thought he was a good one (laughs) but I guess people can be really... (shrugs) unpredictable, you know (Seth feels bad)

(Anna walks up to them)

Seth: hey oh (sees that she has the same scarf on as him)

Anna: (sees the same) nice scarf

Seth: (points) you too

Anna: (laughs) so its croque-monsieur Thursday

Seth: (nods) yes it is

Anna: but I was thinking about having fish sticks

Seth: I was gonna have peanut butter an jelly

Anna: that's great (takes her scarf off) well I'm gonna jus go wash up, we'll go eat

Seth: ok

Anna: alright

Seth: (pats her on the head) bye bye

Anna: (to Summer) bye

(Summer waves, not saying anything)

Seth: (sighs) well I'm gonna, go

Summer: (still sad) yeah well, I have to go ice big funny guy so

Seth: well if your ever feelin y'know too bitter an lonely I tivo'd some daily shows, I know John Stuarts no lenno but (smiles)

Summer: (smiles) thanks

(Seth shrugs it off, then waves and walks away. Summer sighs and watches him go, she begins to walk away then turns back and looks in Seth's direction. she walks away)

CUT TO: Ryan walking outside - he stops at the bottom of the stairs, looks up and sees Marissa on the stairs talking to a girl. Marissa looks down and sees him, her smile goes, and she finishes talking to the girl then walks off towards Oliver. they walk off together. Ryan sees and looks hurt

CUT TO: The light house - Sandy is there with the owner

Owner: my dad d*ed an left me this place, I never thought I'd have'ta sell it...such a magical spot...when I was a kid

Sandy: so don't sell it, jus give me a little more time to find a partner

Owner: Sandy I got two other offers on the table, I can't wait any longer

Sandy: (disappointed) I understand

(we hear the sound of a door opening. Jimmy comes in)

Jimmy: I'm not to late am I

Owner: (looking back) who's this?

Sandy: (suprised) it's my partner...I found him... (excited) listen that whole conversation we just had about not wanting to buy the place, forget it (signs the papers)

Jimmy: (to Sandy) (unsure) look uh y'know this could fail I mean I y'know I could fail...again I-I pretty much only have a legacy of failure I could be responsible for ruining this place ruining our friendship-

Sandy: Jimmy, jus sign it (holds the pen out)

Jimmy: (sighs) (signs it) ok

CUT TO: Harbor school - Ryan is in the student lounge playing pool. Ryan hits the ball then moves around the table to reveal Oliver standing behind watching him. he walks over to Ryan.

Oliver: so I heard what happened between you an Marissa

Ryan: yeah...uh...I'm sorry

Oliver: it's ok

Ryan: no its not (sighs) I was wrong about you

Oliver: (smiles) well I mean did you think that I came here because of Marissa (Ryan puts the cue stick down) what because...I'm in love with her

Ryan: yeah no I...it was crazy

Oliver: hm (turns to face Ryan) here's the deal, Ryan, an its nothin personal (Ryan looks at him) but Marissa an I we jus connect, she understands me, gets me (raises his eyebrows) an hey I don't know if there's only one person on the planet your spose'ta be with, but when she an I are together (breathes in) it sure feels that way (Ryan is shocked) (laughs) an um I'm sorry but you an Marissa c'mon man your from different worlds!

Ryan: (getting angry) (softly) you stay away from her

Oliver: ya cant fight fate man (smiles) I mean I didn't even have'ta lift a finger an look what happened to you guys, because your not spose'ta be together, an I'm not sayin you didn't serve your purpose, if it wasn't for you she would'a never gone to therapy (smiles) she never would'a met me

Ryan: (angry/worried) I am not gonna let this happen!

Oliver: at this point, who's gonna believe you (Ryan glares at him) walk away, you have a chance ta really make somethin of yourself, don't blow it over some chick your not gonna care about in ten years, ok...I really am sorry

(Oliver turns to walk away, Ryan stands there angry then he lunges for Oliver. they knock into some chairs and Ryan punches Oliver which makes Oliver fall to the floor, Ryan gets on top of him and punches him twice before 3 guys hold Ryan back. Marissa comes through the door and rushes over to Oliver {its interesting to see the role reversal compared to earlier in the season when Luke was the one doing the punching, and Ryan was who Marissa was concerned for. now its Oliver, poor Ryan} she looks at Ryan. Ryan is thrashing about screaming 'stay away, stay away from her stay away from her'. Oliver freakily smiles at him with his bloodied lip. Ryan is standing there breathing heavily, he looks helpless and worried. Marissa looks at Ryan as if she doesn't know who he is anymore. Ryan stands there helpless - fade out)