01x22 - The LA

All episode transcripts for the TV show "The O.C.". Aired August 2003 - April 2007.*
Watch/Buy Amazon

A troubled youth becomes embroiled in the lives of a close-knit group of people in the wealthy, upper-class neighborhood of Newport Beach, Orange County, California.

01x22 - The LA

Post by bunniefuu »

Opening scene - Seth and Ryan are at the Mermaid Inn. Ryan left his watch there and he is picking it up

Seth: so then did you take your watch off during the deed or...what exactly

Ryan: you wanna wait in the car? I can pick this up at the front desk myself

Seth: no its cool I got more questions so then I don't understand did you take it off during foreplay, was it before foreplay now that would seem presumptuous but

Ryan: no seriously, seriously you can stay in there turn the radio on, leave the windows up

Seth: cause I like to leave the watch on Ryan an I like to leave it on an know how i'm doing...if i'm b*ating my old time (Ryan turns around and groans while opening the door) the thing is its sort of a sex marathon not a sex sprint

Ryan: (to desk guy) excuse me, hi i'm the guy that called earlier about the watch that was left here

Guy: uh room 204 right, yeah such a nice girl was stayin in there beautiful too (nods) your girlfriend? (Ryan doesn't say anything)

Seth: ok that's a little awkward

Ryan: no, no she's not but thankyou

Guy: a girl like that you would be a lucky guy if you could (holds up watch)

Seth: ok thankyou for your time, or his time. the timepiece thanks, thanks alot (they walk out) one day we're gonna look back on that an we're jus gonna laugh an we're gonna laugh some more we're gonna have a good laugh not at my timepiece joke, but at uh y'know the situation

Ryan: i'm fine really I mean Theresa's back with Eddie where she should be right

Seth: yes, absolutely listen man this is a good time for you ok Ryan Atwood this is 'clean slate Ryan', finally you have no women ta protect from violent goateed factory workers or pill poppin manic depressives

Ryan: (frowns) I guess your right I guess I really do have a clean slate

Seth: you do! dude since day one of you getting here its ben nothin but lady drama with you Marissa, Theresa...Luke, Oliver, Eddie dude i'm gettin exhausted jus thinkin about it

Ryan: I am...kinda tired

Seth: you should be but you know what your gonna get a break cause you deserve it, I think i'm gonna declare this month...angst free Ryan month

Ryan: a month you think it's gonna last all month

Seth: angst free Ryan week, with an option for an additional week, if you like it

Ryan: (thinks) hm (smiles) ok thanks bud

Seth: right on (taps Ryan) hey what's Luke doin here did you tell him about your watch

(we see Luke standing outside the 'usual' room)

Ryan: no, why would I?

(Julie comes out of the door and kisses Luke goodbye, Ryan and Seth both see. they quickly get beside the car so they don't get seen and continue watching. Luke walks off and Julie slaps him on the butt as he goes. Julie goes back in. Ryan and Seth look at each other in complete shock)

Ryan: it didn't even last the night

Theme Song - California by Phantom Planet

Pool house the next morning - Ryan and Seth are still in shock over what they saw. Ryan is sitting on the end of his bed and Seth is sitting in the chair

Seth: I can't believe they were at a motel...its just...it's so cheap it's so tawdry

Ryan: yeah that's the real moral of the story here

Seth: you know we're gonna have'ta see Luke at school today right (Ryan raises his eyebrows) (shakes his head) how could he do it...well I mean i get how he could do it its Mrs. Cooper but-

Ryan: what about her, it's her daughters ex boyfriend (frowns) if Marissa found out...

Seth: nooo she cannot find out, she doesn't handle the bad news well at all

Ryan: so its gotta end before she finds out

Seth: I agree...maybe you should sorta take the reins on this one, I would but I feel like its more your speed (Ryan looks at him)

CUT TO: Cohen kitchen - Sandy is making toast and Kirsten and Jimmy come in

Kirsten: uh Sandy Jimmy's here

Sandy: whoo hot, hot, hot, hey how're ya Jimmy

Jimmy: we're screwed

Sandy: oh good nothin like a little optimism in the morning

Jimmy: i'm serious, opening day's right around the corner an we got no contractor no designer, when was the last time you took a look at the books

Sandy: I don't that's your job

Jimmy: well we've basically...blown through our entire budget (Kirsten looks at Jimmy)

Sandy: well you're really not so good at managing the money are you Coop

Jimmy: no i'm...really not

Sandy: (looking at the books) ho-how did that happen

Jimmy: uh construction, labor, permits

Kirsten: oh wow (opens envelope) a letter from Hailey (reads) she's an aerobics instructor at club med in Turks an Caicos

Jimmy: Turks an Caicos, oh

Kirsten: unbelievable

Sandy: that is unbelievable, Hailey got a job!

Jimmy: so um I'm gonna spend the weekend interviewing designers...not that we can afford any of them. Julies gonna take Marissa so I can work

Sandy: well I better get ta work so I can make some more money that you an I can lose

Kirsten: uhhh so you want a designer on the cheap, how cheap...like free

Jimmy: free is cheap

Kirsten: (smiles) Julie

Jimmy: (looks at Kirsten) no! no way!

Kirsten: she's good

Jimmy: (worked up) yeah at-at manipulating others an back stabbing, pot stirring an generally creating an atmosphere of hate an dis-trust

Sandy: she did a hell of a job on the Newport group offices, they were elegant an-an tasteful, it was shocking really

Jimmy: this restaurant is spose'ta be my oasis my happy place, a place ta...rebuild after Julie not (puts his hands up) she's not doin to the light house what she did to my marriage

Sandy: well free is cheap Jimmy I mean what choice do we have

CUT TO: The beach - Marissa and Summer are walking along the sand

Summer: you asked me Coop an I think its best, you need some time off ever since i've know you you've had a boyfriend

Marissa: (thinks) your right

Summer: you need ta be independent or how else are you gonna find a new guy, you can't be with someone until you can be by yourself

Marissa: hey I can be by myself

Summer: an by yourself I mean still hanging out with me

Marissa: (relieved, grabs Summer) ok good thank god (Summer laughs)

Summer: what's goin on over here?

Marissa: uh I don't know I guess there filming something

Summer: (freaks out) oh my god! (jumps up and down) oh my god oh my (covers her mouth) god Coop!

Marissa: what, what?

Summer: its Grady Bridges

Marissa: who's Grady Bridges?

Summer: Jake Needleman, The Valley (Marissa still doesn't know) he is soooo cute

Marissa: really, ya think?

Summer: well yeah not in your traditional kinda way but he's hillarious, he's so funny I hear he like improvises all of his scenes...let's go say hi

Marissa: w- I

Summer: (drags her) be cool ok

(they walk over to him)

Summer: hey Grady (hugs him) we're your biggest fans, the Valley is my favourite show

Grady: thankyou that's cool i'm glad you like it

Summer: oh I love it, obsessed, addicted

Marissa: so um what're you guys doing here?

Grady: well, we are on what they call uh location which uh basically means that we're sh**ting a scene- well my character starts dating this girl from Newport

Summer: (screams and covers her ears) don't you'll ruin it

Grady: ok, ok gees (to Marissa) are you as obsessed as she is

Marissa: hoh, oh actually i've never seen your (laughs) show s- (Summer hits her on the arm)

Summer: (softly) Coop!

Marissa: (rubs her arm) what (Grady laughs)

Grady: see now that's funny

Summer: (holds Marissa on the side) oh that was funny, that was funny, funny girl

CUT TO: Harbor school - Ryan and Seth are walking in the halls

Seth: maybe there not having sex maybe they jus go to a motel to spoon an watch Charlie Rose

Ryan: you're right that's probably it

(they see Marissa and Summer)

Summer: (excited) oh my god you guys we have the craziest news ever, I mean nothing you could tell us could top this (Ryan & Seth look at each other) we met Grady Bridges! (they have no idea who he is) star of the Valley, the best show ever! (still clueless) ok anyways he invited us to his birthday party tomorrow night

Seth: the start of a hit TV show invited you to his cool Hollywood birthday party (clenches his teeth) that is awesome

Summer: there's no need for Jealousy Cohen, I could never date an actor

(Marissa looks at Ryan, Ryan raises his eyebrows)

Seth: really

Summer: yes, I got us a couple an plus ones (smiles)

Ryan: great

Summer: (laughs) now I have ta go show everybody the pictures'a me an Grady, thank god I had my camera phone they are the autograph of the 21st century (walks off)

Seth: (follows) photos Summer id like ta see his photos, why don't we share

(Ryan smiles at Marissa)

Marissa: so how's Theresa

Ryan: uh she's...good she's back with Eddie

Marissa: have you talked to her since she left

Ryan: yeah we have but we uh, takin some time apart (Marissa nods) it's the best thing I guess

Marissa: yeah (Ryan smiles) (bell goes) oh we should go

Ryan: yeah

(Marissa walks ahead and Ryan watches her, he looks worried)

CUT TO: Kirsten's office - Sandy, Jimmy, Kirsten and Julie are in there. Julie is looking over the design possibilities

Julie: (looking at photos) good light, exposed brick its a bit 80's but these trends are cyclical south-facing windows mm these floors could be sanded an the beams are rather oppressive ah...some white enamel could lighten it right up (turns to face the guys) ill do it

Sandy: now...you know we can't pay ya

Julie: oh y'know everybody has'ta start somewhere an the value it'll add to my portfolio alone will be worth it, it'll be my calling card (Jimmy rolls his eyes)

Sandy: an we should get started, right away

Julie: well you will have'ta pay for the floors the linens the silverware unless you want your patrons eating with their hands like Jimmy does

Jimmy: oh happy place, happy place, happy place

Sandy: how much Julie

Julie: what'do you think Kirsten low 6

Jimmy: (shocked) what we don't have that kinda money, what're you-what're you skimming off the top

Julie: no sweetie, that was you

Sandy: oo

Jimmy: oooh my my oasis is-is-is being violated my happy place is very unhappy right now

Sandy: no calm down Jimbo jus breathe

Kirsten: I could pitch in

Sandy: no, no please I appreciate it I do but don't I mean it-it seperation'a church an state, th-this is my thing

Jimmy: so what're you saying that uh this is your happy place?

Sandy: (laughs) no

Julie: Caleb could help

Sandy: NO this is my happy place it's my oasis from the rich an insufferable

Julie: it would be a good investment for him an the best thing that could happen'a you two

Sandy: no it would be the wor- it would, no Kirsten please back me up

Kirsten: he could be a silent partner

Sandy: a silent assassin he would ruin everything he-he would put goulash on the menu

Jimmy: well I don't think we have any choice, we can't raise that kinda cash in time

Sandy: oh

(Julie looks at Kirsten, both guys are very unhappy)

CUT TO: Harbor school - Luke is playing pool in the student lounge and Ryan goes over to him

Luke: hey man what's up

Ryan: nothin...so did'you have sex with Julie Cooper today

(Luke goes to hit the ball and slips because of what Ryan just said)

Luke: (shocked) wh-wh-wha

Ryan: I saw you at the motel, what're you thinkin man, Marissa's mom!

Luke: I know-I know I know what it- what that must'a looked like or seemed like but it's not like that (Ryan's not impressed) (softly) we've got a connection

Ryan: yeah not anymore you don't...if Marissa finds out

Luke: she won't

Ryan: (scoffs) jus like she didn't find out about you in Tijuana, it's a small town people find out an then they talk, it's only a matter'a time (sighs)

Luke: i've never felt this way about a girl- w-woman before

Ryan: (glares at Luke) yeah I don't care, tomorrow Marissa's goin'ta LA you your goin ta Julies, its gonna end...you got it? its gonna end! (walks off)

CUT TO: Cohen living room - Seth is watching episodes of the Valley, Ryan comes in

Ryan: hey man what're you doin

Seth: watching the Valley, I picked up the first season on DVD

Ryan: yeah so I talked ta Luke (sits on the couch)

Seth: would ya jus give me till like the end of the episode please

Ryan: is that Grady?

Seth: yeah

Ryan: he's kinda like you

Seth: what handsome an charming

Ryan: no, geeky an sarcastic

(Seth looks at Ryan, then at the TV and realises Ryan is right)

Seth: (frowns) oh god he is like me, he is like me except with his own TV show

Ryan: no I was kidding he's just a character it's not what he's like in real life

Seth: (freaking out) no, no, no he improvises all his lines, that's totally him an he's totally me except...on a prime time soap and Ryan dude, if you could have the real me or you could have the TV me which one would you take, you'd totally take the TV me dude! we are not goin'a LA cause i'm gonna lose Summer to the real life TV Seth Cohen

Ryan: (takes the remote and turns the show off) no-no-no we're goin'a LA we're takin the girls, Luke's breaking up with Julie while we're gone

Seth: (suprised) you took care of it?

Ryan: yeah

Seth: oh well that's good (hits him on the arm) I told you you'd be back ta angst free Ryan in no time

Ryan: hm (doorbell) ill get it

(Seth puts the Valley back on and frowns at the TV)

CUT TO: Cohen's front door - Ryan opens it and Marissa is there

Marissa: hey (motions with her head to go outside) can we talk

Ryan: uh sure (walks out)

Marissa: so i'm not goin ta LA

Ryan: what, why?

Marissa: you know how you said sometimes time apart is the best thing...well I think time apart might be the best thing...for us

Ryan: you do

Marissa: since you showed up its ben...pretty intense good an bad but...intense (shakes her head) an I don't know maybe we jus need to be away from each other, independent (shrugs) for a little while

Ryan: an you-you wanna start this independent thing today (sighs)

Marissa: we both have clean slates, this is a good time for us ta be by ourselves (Ryan looks at her) so you go ta LA an i'm gonna spend some time with my mom (Ryan doesn't know what to say) see ya (walks off)

(Ryan watches her go, worried again)

CUT TO: Cohen kitchen the next morning - Ryan and Seth are in there

Seth: so that was it? that's your big plan you had ta sleep on

Ryan: if I don't go, Marissa will

Seth: fine, except your going!

Ryan: you don't even know if your parents are gonna let us go

Seth: i'm gonna handle it

Ryan: so your gonna lie to em

Seth: no that was the old me I have evolved an now i'm a man of honour Ryan, so I need you ta talk to em (Ryan frowns) it's kinda more your specialty

Ryan: it seems like your making alotta things my specialty these days

Seth: yeah, well great leaderships all about delegation

Ryan: so now i'm your employee

Seth: nooo we're partners

Ryan: (confused) what'da you do

Seth: i'm working on the business plan ok an that's gonna be awesome, I just need you ta convince my parents, convince Marissa (Ryan raises his eyebrows) an i'm gonna supervise...god its so easy (walks out)

Ryan: I should go inta business for myself (walks out)

(they are now outside walking towards Kirsten and Sandy sitting at the table)

Seth: (holding his hands like he's framing a sh*t) (gasps) we crane up through the bushes that's perfect, i'm sorry Ryan is it jus me or do my parents (emphasised) get better looking every day!

Sandy: ah here we go

Seth: (innocently) what

Kirsten: ah-huh what'da ya want Seth

Seth: mom cant a child just admire the beauty of his parents in the morning light (Sandy laughs) you don't look a day over perfection, also there's a party in Hollywood tonight

Sandy: hell no

Seth: why?

Sandy: I don't have to tell you why i'm jus telling you no

Seth: come on, do you see what you're doing here

Sandy: I do

Seth: I come in here an i'm tryin'a tell you the truth an establish a bond of trust here (Ryan is watching him in disbelief) I could've lied I could've easily said that I was goin ta-ta comicon (Kirsten looks at him) or an IMAX movie all these little devices at my finger tips

Kirsten: I knew that you never went to the IMAX movie

Seth: (sighs) (to Ryan) tag, you're tagged in

Ryan: yeah ok uh it's just a birthday party we'll be home by midnight no drinking, no dr*gs no fighting

Seth: see

Sandy: alright now that we've covered the obvious, who's birthday

Seth: Grady Bridges

Kirsten: oh the guy from the Valley

Seth: yes

Kirsten: I love him, he's so cute

Seth: yeah an you guys he can get any girl in the world he wants an right now he wants Summer ok I have'ta go (Sandy rubs his eyes) please I have'ta go

(they all look at Sandy pleadingly, including Kirsten,lol)

Sandy: you call when you get there (Seth throws his hands in the air, happy) an your home by 11:30 (Ryan puts his fists up and fakes excitement, he puts them straight down and folds his arms) an don't spend an extra minute in LA that town will steal your soul

Seth: well right now it's about ta steal my girlfriend, I am the only thing that stands between Summer an a development deal so thankyou

Kirsten: can you get me an autograph, oh your cell phone takes pictures right (Seth makes a clicking sound to say yes)

Seth: (to Ryan) now all we have to do is convince Marissa

Ryan: oh you gonna make me do that alone to

Seth: hm Ryan we're business partners ok we serve different functions i'm the brains you're the braun i'm in the ivory tower, your down there on the streets makin it happen

CUT TO: Julie's house - Marissa opens the door while on the phone, and Ryan is standing there

Ryan: hey

Marissa: uh call you back (hangs up) so when I said we needed ta spend some time apart I meant more then a couple'a hours

Ryan: I know wait what's that (referring to the necklace thingy hanging from her finger)

Marissa: oh Luke's puka shells I just found em, blast from the past huh

Ryan: ah-huh ok here's the thing uh, not goin ta LA cause i'm not goin th-that's not independent (Marissa is listening) to be really independent we both need ta go to LA independently but together at the same time

Marissa: ok you're starting ta sound like Seth

Ryan: I know it rubs off, look I gotta go...Seth unsupervised in a big city

Marissa: ok no, I get that

Ryan: ok uh an I don't want you ta miss out cause'a me an you know we-we haven't had fun in a long time, this is gonna be fun

Marissa: usually you don't think anything's fun, it's always me talking you into going

Ryan: well people change an we're gonna be livin in the same town for a while right (Marissa half smiles) y'know goin'a the same school an we're friends yeah so...you know we're gonna have'ta do things independently, b-b-but together

Marissa: your right (they look at each other) so you really want me'ta go

Ryan: it's not about what I want it's about what you need

Marissa: (laughs) ok...

Ryan: (smiles) maybe, a little

Marissa: (smiles) alright let me jus go get ready

Ryan: alright cool

(Ryan waits outside and Marissa closes the door, she leans against it sort of smiling, sort of thinking)

CUT TO: Caleb's office - Sandy, Caleb, Kirsten, Jimmy and Julie are in there

Caleb: so you need me hey Sanford

Sandy: oh here we go

Kirsten: dad

Caleb: look you did me a favour now it's my turn to do one for you

Sandy: don't do me any favours

Jimmy: lets-lets hear him out ok

Caleb: your chef, what's he done?

Sandy: (sarcastic) nothin really TV dinners mostly,he he's terrible (Kirsten looks at Sandy, Julie is amused)

Caleb: look I know when i'm not wanted

Sandy: an yet your always at our house

Jimmy: Marco was a sous chef at Aubergine he's fantastic

Caleb: Aubergine that's a good spot

Jimmy: yeah you know what he could prepare some meals for ya right away like uh tonight

Kirsten: good thinking

Caleb: uh no I cant i-im busy i'm-i'm having a-a business dinner with the board of the phil harmonic

Julie: doesn't that include the editor an chief of Riviera magazine, the owner of the daily pilot, owner of the mighty ducks (Caleb nods) yeah well some of em use'ta be Jimmy's clients before well, you know

Jimmy: point being there Julie

Julie: (pointed) there the taste makers of Newport beach James, why don't you have Marco cook for all of them, you cant buy free publicity like that an if your gonna have a restaurant you gotta be able ta cook for alotta people

Sandy: if your gonna have a restaurant you gotta cook for alotta people (to Jimmy) that's our mission statement (Julie rolls her eyes)

Jimmy: Sandy we need the money we need the press

Sandy: I know

Caleb: good idea Jules

Sandy: except for the fact that we just gutted the place, there's dust all over...there's no furniture

Kirsten: we can do it at our house, we have the place to ourselves the kids are on their way'ta LA, its perfect

CUT TO: Seth, Ryan, Summer and Marissa are stuck in traffic. Seth is driving, Ryan is next to him, and the girls are in the back

Seth: oh my god we haven't moved in (looks at watch) its ben forever now, how'da people live like this, how do ya do it?

Summer: mm I don't know its times like these I wish we had a chitty chitty bang bang

Seth: I always wish we had a chitty chitty bang bang it's a flying car

Marissa: (hangs up the phone) you know my moms never home anymore, she's always sending Kaitlin to my grandmas

Summer: you know what it sounds like ta me, speaking as a child of divorce

Marissa: you think she's having an affair

(Ryan and Seth look worried)

Summer: well when my mom started blowing me off its cause she started-

Seth: (screams as a distraction) OH it's a flying car (looks) no that's my bad actually that's a plane uh-hm

Ryan: (to Marissa) uh she's probably...just workin alot y'know

Seth: a professional woman

Ryan: yeah busy

Summer: or gettin busy

Seth: so who you guys ah thinks gonna be there tonight

Summer: I hope Orlando Bloom, Legolas is soo hot

Seth: right on i'm hopin for a little Natalie Portmant Kiera Knightley maybe Kate Bosworth myself (Summer hits him in the head) OW what its ok for you to pine over Legolas

Summer: yeah he's an elf ok he saved middle earth, that is a huge part of European history

Ryan: (laughs) (to Marissa) don't worry about it, tonight's gonna be fun

(Marissa looks at Ryan, Summer looks at Marissa as if to say 'what's that about')

Ryan: (softly to Seth) an Luke better get it done (sighs)

CUT TO: The front of Julie's house - Caleb and Julie pull up in Caleb's car

Julie: well see you soonishly

Caleb: what about that date Juju?

Julie: (smiles) lets jus see how tonight goes Caleb, I want you focused (Caleb smiles) (gets out) bye

(Julie walks up to her door and Luke runs out scaring her)

Luke: hey (Julie gasps) we need ta talk

Julie: Luke, what if Caleb saw you

Luke: (jealous) yeah what are you doin with him shouldn't he be washin his dentures or somethin are you guys back together

Julie: oh don't start

Luke: (hurt) what you were just using me until grandpa came back (Julie kisses him)

Julie: ok I don't have alotta time

Luke: ok but-but we'll talk after

Julie: yeah, yeah come on

(they go inside)

CUT TO: Luna Chicks in LA - we see half naked girls dancing on the tables. Marissa, Summer, Seth and Ryan walk in

Seth: (to Ryan) why would they let that heavy-set girl in?

Ryan: that was a guy

(Grady comes over)

Grady: hey girls hey what's up, i'm glad you made it

Summer: hey

Grady: (takes their hands) hey c'mon I wanna introduce you ta some people

Ryan: how does that guy play high school?

Seth: (shakes his head) Hollywood man

(we see sh*ts of girl's pole dancing and doing coke. Marissa and Summer walk passed)

Marissa: I thought it was a cliché young Hollywood doing coke with strippers

Summer: you know I didn't even think they ate bread anymore

Ryan: (to Seth) hey can I borrow your phone (takes it & walks off to get away from the noise)

(Grady takes them to a table of guys)

Grady: hey boys I want you to meet some people, this is Summer, Marissa and some guy

Marissa: are they on the show?

Grady: no, no this is team Grady right, (points) this is my agent, this is my manager, this is my lawyer, this is my publicist an then this is my producing partner

Seth: you have a producing partner

Grady: yeah we actually we control several properties man, you know we jus got the rights to the Golden Girls

Summer: (excited) oh my god, no way!

Grady: yeah, yeah we're gonna make it into a movie you know but we're gonna make the Golden Girls you know young an hot

Summer: oh

(Seth looks over to where Ryan is, he's on the phone)

Ryan: Luke it's me I wanted'ta make sure you took care of it, take care of it (hangs up)

(Marissa comes over to him)

Marissa: hey

Ryan: hey

Marissa: so do you wanna meet the cast

Ryan: not really, you?

Marissa: yeah not really

(Summer and Seth are following Grady, Seth has hold of Summer's hand and Paris Hilton makes them let go)

Paris: excuse me

Summer: well

(Paris looks at Seth, and he looks at her, she smiles and Summer notices)

Summer: (hits Seth) oh my god what is with you!

Seth: ow what

Paris: relax all you LA chicks are so lame

Summer: we're not from LA we're from Orange County

Paris: Orange County eww

(Paris walks away and Seth smiles and waves. Ryan and Marissa were watching it)

Ryan: glad to see we're not the ones fighting for a change

Marissa: yeah i'm glad to see we're not one of those couples (Ryan looks at her) or any kinda couple

Ryan: right, it's definitely better

Marissa: yep

(a stripper touches Ryan on the shoulder)

Stripper: hey there having fun yet

(she bends down and we see that it is Hailey, aka Kirsten's baby sister)

Ryan: (shocked) Hailey

Hailey: (just as shocked) Ryan

Ryan: w-what are you uh

Hailey: what are you-

Guy: Hailey keep movin, couples pay extra

Hailey: I...gotta go

Marissa: wait- is that?

Ryan: Kirsten's sister Hailey

Marissa: does Kirsten know she's here

Ryan: I doubt it, this is Kirsten's worst nightmare all she does is worry about Hailey come on

CUT TO: Julie's house - Julie and Luke are coming out of the front door

Julie: (rushing) i'm late, I thought we were only gonna do it once

Luke: well can we talk now because I really need-

Julie: can't now hun gotta go be with the adults, ill talk to ya later

CUT TO: Cohen dining room - Sandy, Jimmy, Kirsten and Caleb are standing around the table talking to all the guests. Julie comes in late

Caleb: Newport use'ta be a glamorous town, an escape for Hollywood stars like John Wayne, Robert Mitchum. the lighthouse could be our chance to bring those people back

Sandy: now wait a minute Cal I don't think even the lighthouse can bring back The Duke

(everyone laughs)

Caleb: what I mean is, we think the lighthouse is step one in the renaissance of Newport for destination dining a magnet...for glitz an glamour an...well cash (Sandy raises his eyebrows) (everyone laughs)

Sandy: (sincerely) look Jimmy an I view the lighthouse as a chance ta restore the restaurant to its former glory you know its-its jus somethin from Newport for Newport

Kirsten: we think it can be a bit of both, an icon of the past...a beacon for the future

Jimmy: a bridge from the past...to the present, from Newport to...the rest'a the world

(everybody claps, Julie comes in the front door)

Julie: hello everybody

Kirsten: hey Julie

Julie: so sorry i'm late, I hope I didn't miss anything, hey

Caleb: you are glowing (kisses her cheek)

Julie: (flustered) well I am just soo...excited
CUT TO: Luke gets into his car, he starts driving and listens to his messages on his phone

MSG: you have one new message

Ryan: Luke it's me i'm jus callin'a make sure you took care of it...take care of it!

(Luke hangs up the phone and sighs, he make an abrupt U turn and drives off in the same direction he just came from)

CUT TO: Cohen kitchen - Jimmy and Sandy are in there with Marco the chef

Jimmy: (to the chef) hey

Sandy: are you happy Coop? are these the kinda people we wan't because these are the people we are gonna be stuck with

Jimmy: I know Sandy it's not what we wanted exactly

Sandy: (stops drinking) no it's exactly not what we wanted at all

Jimmy: look we need the money, without Caleb we've got nothing

Sandy: well maybe nothin's better than this

Jimmy: well that's an easier position ta take if you have another job (phone rings) this is all I have

Sandy: (answers) hello

(Ryan and Marissa at Luna Chicks)

Ryan: Sandy, hey it's me

Sandy: Ryan, is everything ok

Ryan: uhhh not really we-we found Hailey

Sandy: (confused) what'dya mean ya found Hailey

Jimmy: (turns around) Hailey

Ryan: well she got a job...as a stripper

Sandy: (shocked) there are strippers at this party?

Jimmy: (raises his eyebrows) strippers

Sandy: (freaking out) ooh god I never should've agreed ta this

Ryan: uh what'do-what'do you want us ta do

Sandy: there is nothing you can do, Hailey is not your responsibility

Jimmy: (frowns) w-where are they, is she ok

Sandy: look what club are'ya at

Ryan: it's uhh Luna Chicks

Sandy: Luna CHICKS?, well that's just great

Ryan: what're ya gonna do

Sandy: I will deal with Hailey tomorrow, meanwhile I want you guys home pronto

Ryan: alright (hangs up)

(Sandy hangs up)

Jimmy: (frowns) what's goin on

Sandy: they found Hailey workin as a stripper at this party

Jimmy: is uh-is she ok

Sandy: no course not no she's Hailey

Jimmy: (worried, shrugs) should we do somethin

Sandy: (unsure) I-I-I (shakes his head) yeah you know what we should do, we should not let Hailey ruin another evening we got enough ta contend with an if Kirsten finds out about this oy

Jimmy: hmm I don't know if I can do that

Sandy: you know what, we'll deal with it tomorrow

(Julie comes in happy)

Julie: everything is going so well

(Kirsten follows)

Kirsten: everyone seems really excited

(Caleb follows)

Caleb: (screws up his nose) what the hells that smell (looks at the food) what are we even cooking here

Sandy: meatloaf, it's my mothers specialty

Caleb: i've got the most important people in the county in there, the most sophisticated palettes in Newport an you're gonna offer them nana Cohen's meatloaf

Kirsten: dad, it's their menu

Sandy: a menu of lunatics

Julie: well this is a disaster i'm gonna have'ta call Catherine Zita Jones's people I was tryin'a get her for the opening

Caleb: you Marco how quickly can you get down to the Crab Shack an pick us up some fresh-

Sandy: (puts his hand out) whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa no no Marco no no, this is our restaurant!

Caleb: you don't have a restaurant without me, an you don't have me with meatloaf

Jimmy: (fed up) well then maybe we're better off (they look at him) a mans life comes down to a few decisive moments an maybe this-this meatloaf is one of em, this restaurant was-was spose'ta be fun an if you wanna go ahead an ruin everything that this restaurant is about then go ahead fine, I don't want any part of it (Sandy nods)...goodnight (to

Sandy) good luck

Caleb: that's why the man is bankrupt (to Sandy) oh do what you like, sink the ship but make it quick i'm starving

Sandy: hey Marco there's alot ridin on this meatloaf

(Kirsten looks at Julie's neck)

Kirsten: Julie is that a-

Julie: (covers it) curling iron burn yeah um i'm gonna go check on Cal

CUT TO: Luna Chicks - Ryan and Marissa are looking for Seth and Summer so they can leave

Ryan: alright as soon as we find Seth an Summer we're outta here

Marissa: and Hailey

Ryan: I don't know its-its none'a my business

Marissa: yeah it is, it's your family...an we need ta find her an get outta here

Ryan: (gives in) alright you wait here if you see Seth don't let him move an ill jus go try'ta find her

Marissa: (stops him) not without me (looks at him)

Ryan: (gives in) come on

(Grady with his team, and Summer at a table)

Grady: cheers, cheers to me in all'a my glory (Summer laughs) and a second season

(Summer looks over and sees Seth, Paris walks up to him)

Paris: hey

Seth: (turns around) hi, hi how's it uh how's it goin

Paris: I'm so exhausted

Seth: yeah

Paris: yeah i've ben up all night workin on my thesis (Seth is suprised) magical relaism in American literature, are you familiar with the works of Thomas Pynchon

Seth: (stunned) i've...only read The Crying of Lot 49

Paris: Gravity's Rainbow is his masterpiece (Seth nods, stunned) don't tell anyone i'm in grad school

Seth: ok

(back to Grady and Summer)

Grady: so I have got a new episode that hasn't aired yet, do you wanna see it?

Summer: no way! you have a new episode

Grady: yeah on tape, huh

Summer: (excited) yeah hold on I just have'ta-

(Summer looks over at Seth and Paris. Paris has her hand in his pocket)

Seth: oh yeah no i'm not uh armed or anything (Paris pulls out his phone) uh-hm

(Summer frowns while looking at them)

Seth: th-that's a (Paris takes a photo)

Paris: camera phone, it's the autograph of the 21st century

Seth: (smiling) (nods) yeah that's what they say, that's what they say

Summer: (pulls Grady) lets go

Grady: alright

Paris: (to Seth) call me some time (hands the phone back)

Seth: I will (smiles)

(Paris walks away and Seth looks over to where Summer was, the lounge is now empty)

CUT TO: Cohen backyard - Sandy is sitting by the pool and Caleb comes out to join him

Caleb: there you are, I thought you'd flown the coop as well (sits)

Sandy: nah jus tryin'a get a little peace an quiet

Caleb: wax philosophical about why your partner up an quit

Sandy: he hasn't quit, he went after Hailey

Caleb: (laughs) what're you talking about, Hailey's in club med

Sandy: oh she's in a club but in Hollywood...working as a stripper, Ryan jus called an they found her (Caleb raises his eyebrows) anyway that's where my partner went (stands) an that's why he's my partner

CUT TO: LA - Summer and Grady are sitting in Grady's car watching the episode

Summer: this is so cool! your here (points to TV) an here (touches him) it's awesome

Grady: shhh (points to TV)

Summer: (laughs) oh my god I bet that was improvised

Grady: so listen i'm really glad that you came to my-

Summer: (puts hand up) no wait, shhh (whispers) I wanna watch

Grady: why, i'm-i'm not in this scene

Summer: (almost crying) it's just so good (sighs) I wish I was from the Valley

(Marissa and Ryan are inside the club, they see Seth)

Marissa: hey where's Summer

Seth: I don't know off with Grady somewhere, I talk about Pynchon for like two seconds an suddenly she's gone

Ryan: yeah well I got somethin else for ya

(Seth is watching a stripper, who we know to be his aunt Hailey, but he does not)

Seth: (to Ryan) you have a clean slate now ok so if I was you I would put in a little private dance time with uh (Hailey turns around) (stunned) oh my god that's Hailey

Ryan: yeah-yeah that's-that's what I-

(Hailey gets down and starts walking away)

Seth: (grabs her) hey hey, what the hell are you doing I thought you were an aerobics instructor in the Caribbean or something

Hailey: yeah well I figured if I told the truth it wouldn't go over so well

Seth: my moms gonna freak when she finds out

Hailey: so don't tell her, not that she'd care

Ryan: i'm sure she would if she knew what you were doing

Hailey: what's wrong with what i'm doing, I make good money an i'm on my own

Seth: what are you talking about! you look terrible (Hailey looks away) you work here c'mon let me jus grab my girlfriend an we'll go an we'll figure it out ok

Guy: (grabs Hailey) get up there, what're you tired today you didn't do enough coke

Seth: hey, take it easy man

Guy: jus get back ta work

Ryan: hey, hey, hey don't tell her what'ta do alright

Guy: excuse me? you got a problem

Ryan: (gets in his face) yeah, yeah yeah I do!

Seth: no he doesn't have a problem i'm sorry we're jus gonna grab my girlfriend an we're gonna grab my aunt uh-uh more gently than say you an we're leaving

Guy: oh your leavin right now, get outta my club (bouncer grabs them & shoves the 3 of them towards the door) get em outta my club, out out out

(they are pushed out into like an alley thing)

Guy: I don't wanna see these guys in my club again!

(they are all standing out in the alley)

CUT TO: Still in the alley - they are sitting on a ledge thing talking

Marissa: are we jus gonna leave Hailey here

Ryan: I don't think we have much of a choice

Marissa: well we can't leave without her

Seth: (with his phone) I cant get ahold'a Summer, I think we should split up (stands up) lets scale a wall, find a fire escape climb through a window the us(as in usual)

(they both look at him)

Seth: I was all-camp uh capture the flag camp Tuckahoe, i'm very stealth

(Seth rubs his hands together and runs at the wall and really badly tries to hold on, Marissa leans closer to Ryan cause Seth is right by her)

Seth: (touches the wall) that's kinda dewy i'm gonna go around

(Marissa and Ryan both sigh, then Marissa gets a look of 'I have an idea')

Marissa: we're going to the VIP entrance

Ryan: (shakes his head) we're not VIP

Marissa: this is Hollywood, meet me in a minute (gets up) I have an idea

CUT TO: Cohen dining room - Kirsten, Julie, Caleb and Sandy are standing behind the table while the guests eat

W: this meatloaf is fantastic

Caleb: this is what we had planned, back ta basics, comfort food, what's old is new again

Sandy: well I couldn't have said that better myself, even though I already did

Kirsten: we're so glad that you like it

Julie: i'm gonna get more wine, anyone?

W: oh terrific

(Julie walks into the kitchen. she goes over to the sink and Luke pops up at the kitchen window which makes her jump. Luke taps on the window and motions for her to come outside, Julie makes a face and motions for him to get back down - Marco the chef looks over at her and smiles, Julie smiles back then begins to walk away. she bites her lip and screws up her face. she smiles again as she walks through the dining room where everyone is eating, she puts the wine down and stands near the doors to outside, she looks around and everyone is busy talking to each other no one notices she's there. Julie turns around and looks out the door to see Luke's head poke around the corner and he again motions for her to come outside. she looks at him and tips her head at him a few times as if to say 'get back' )

Caleb: Juju, bring the wine dear

Julie: um thi-this ones empty, i'm gonna get another

(Julie walks back into the kitchen, and we see her walking as well as Luke following her outside, he stops at the door near the living room. Julie comes to the door and opens it)

Julie: (whispers) what the hell are you doing here!

Luke: we need ta talk

Julie: wait outside my house...go hide in the bushes or something go (tips her head again) go!

(Luke leaves. Julie shuts the door and sees the people in the kitchen looking at her)

Julie: back to work!

CUT TO: Luna Chicks - Marissa is at the VIP entrance trying to get in, the guy isn't having it

Guy: I told you VIP's only

(Marissa looks over and sees Ryan walking up)

Marissa: (pretending to be a fan) oh my god, OH my god (grabs Ryan and hugs him) I love you so much, you are my favourite character (to the guy) ok do you watch the Valley

Guy: no, I have a job!

Marissa: it's only like the best show ever! (touches Ryan) you are...actually a little shorter then I imagined but still so hot (hugs Ryan again)

Ryan: (unsure what she's doing) thanks

Guy: (to Ryan) you here for the party

Ryan: (plays it cool) yeah

Marissa: oh my god wait can I come with you! (Ryan looks at the guy) seriously it would mean so much to me it was my favourite show (Ryan smiles at the guy)

Guy: take advantage kid, you're only a teen idol once

Ryan: thanks buddy (Marissa is giggling like an obsessed fan)

Marissa: thanks too (goes in with Ryan)

CUT TO: Summer and Grady are sitting in Grady's car watching dailies

Summer: (bored) I can't believe we're watching dailies

Grady: yeah but seriously, which take did you like better because I kinda like the acting in that one you know

Summer: hmm

Grady: but the lighting wasn't as good as the one before

Summer: ok I don't know, can we go back to the party this is boring

Grady: well how bout uh how bout uh some uh some music (puts CD in player) that'll lighten it up, little party

Summer: what's this?

Grady: oh this is uh this is my band its our-it's our first CD

Summer: (nods) no kidding

Grady: I like you an I don't know why but you jus you've got (puts his hands up like he's framing a sh*t) you've jus got somethin you know, i'm a big fan'a yours (goes to kiss her)

Summer: (freaks out) oh my GOD what're you doing

Grady: what-what

(Seth opens Grady's door)

Summer: Cohen

Seth: Summer

Grady: hi

Seth: hi, I heard some really really awful music an I knew it could only be self indulgent actors with instruments, what're you doing

Summer: leaving

(April opens Summers door)

April: Grady there you are

Grady: April hi

Summer: oh my god, you're on the show! you are like the best thing on that show

April: what're you doing with her?

Grady: uhhh I w uhhh

Summer: wait, you two are dating god don't-don't you think that's a bad idea I mean what if things don't work out an you guys break up I mean isn't that bad for the show

April: I guess we're about'ta find out

Grady: whoa whoa whoa April, April (climbs over Summer) hey lock up the car for me please (gets out) April wait

Seth: hey

Summer: (smiles and moves closer to Seth) i'm sorry, lets go home (takes his hand) some place with real people

Seth: you think we're gonna find that at home we live in Newport beach, lets jus get out of LA (looks at the TV) is that a new episode

Summer: (gets out) mhmm I already saw it

Seth: oh Grady's probably ad libbing, oooh

CUT TO: Inside Luna Chicks - Hailey is changed out of her stripper clothes and walking down a corridor, Ryan and Marissa see her

Hailey: what're you guys doing?

Ryan: (grabs her) yeah you're comin with us

Hailey: you know what you're really sweet with this whole save the stripper campaign but i'm fine

Ryan: oh you're fine

Hailey: yeah, now get outta here quick before he sees you

Marissa: no, not without you look we came

Guy: (grabs Ryan) what're you doin back in my club

Ryan: hey get your hand offa me man

Guy: out, out, you too Hailey (pushes them out the door) goodbye Hailey

(Ryan gets in the face of the big bouncer guy)

Guy: oh oh oh what're you gonna do huh, what're you gonna do now big sh*t, what're you gonna do now huh

(Jimmy walks up)

Jimmy: what're you gonna do, hit a kid

Marissa: dad

Guy: what're you DAD

Jimmy: what're you the guy who's my age an still thinks he's 25

Guy: you keep your kid's outta my club

Jimmy: (to Marissa) you alright

Marissa: yeah

Jimmy: (to Ryan) look uh Sandy got held up so I

Ryan: ah its ok, thankyou

Jimmy: why don't you guys head back i'm gonna...give Hailey a lift

Marissa: ok yeah we'll jus go find Seth an Summer

Ryan: alright

(Marissa kisses and hugs Jimmy)

Jimmy: see ya, drive safe (they walk off)

Hailey: (teary) I wish you would'a called first...I would've washed my hair

Jimmy: are you ok

Hailey: (nods) i'm fine...I just (sniffs) was supposed'ta get a job managing this other bar an it fell through and I needed the money

Jimmy: its ok its ok, it's alright, its ok (smiles) it doesn't matter (Hailey looks at him) so you wanna come home

Hailey: (nods) yeah

(Jimmy hugs her)

CUT TO: Marissa, Ryan, Summer and Seth are walking to the car

Summer: an could we have parked any further away

Seth: hey, at least we get to look forward to a little Saturday night rush hour, you know I think we did pretty good in there man, an I told ya we make a good team i'm the brains, your the brawn

Marissa: hey how come you're the brains, i'm the one who talked us back inta that club

Seth: i'm sorry i'm the brains

Ryan: (to Marissa) you can be the beauty

Marissa: ok, thanks

Seth: yeah-yeah that's exactly right you're the beauty, he's the brawn i'm the brains perfect

Summer: great an what am I Cohen

Seth: uh the boobs? (Summer hits him) uh the bitch

Summer: ok ill take the boobs

Seth: (puts his arm around her) hey, so will I (Summer laughs)

CUT TO: Cohen kitchen - Julie, Caleb, Kirsten and Sandy are in there

Caleb: i've never seen so much meatloaf in my life

Sandy: well it was a beautiful sight

(Jimmy comes in)

Kirsten: hey where were you, it went great

Jimmy: I uh...have a suprise

(Hailey comes in)

Kirsten: (shocked) oh my god

Jimmy: yeah I just uh picked her up from the airport fresh from Turks an Caicos

(Caleb kisses Hailey on the cheek)

Sandy: I hear that's the best club med there is I can't wait ta hear the details

(Kirsten walks over and hugs her)

Caleb: thanks Jimmy, for bringing her back

(Jimmy nods)

Kirsten: why don't I draw ya a bath Hale (Hailey smiles)

(Kirsten and Hailey walk out)

Caleb: well we should wrap this up, do some business

Julie: an there is my cue you boys discuss the money, call me when you wanna discuss the linens

Caleb: ok fellas i'm in, we'll do it your way

Sandy: it's the only way we could do it

Caleb: (nods) you guys were right at the end of the day, its good food, good people coming together...tonight was a good start (holds his hand out)

Jimmy: (shakes) apparently

Sandy: (shakes) thanks

CUT TO: Julie walks to her door, Luke is waiting there for her

Julie: Luke what is so important that you-

Luke: (puts his hands up) I can't do this anymore

Julie: excuse me...your breaking up with me

Luke: it's just um...it's not a good idea an uh it never could'a worked

Julie: (nods) your right, well ok

Luke: right...ok

(Julie watches Luke go then calls someone)

Julie: hi Cal it's me, when you're ready for that date, let me know

CUT TO: The pool house - Marissa and Ryan come in

Ryan: (laughs) I can't believe there watchin the Valley after all that

Marissa: (laughs) hey Summer says it's addictive

(Ryan lies on the bed)

Marissa: so is it ok if I hang out in here, not watching TV

Ryan: yeah sure

(Ryan sits up and Marissa sits on the end of the bed next to him, they are a little awkward with each other)

Ryan: so did you have fun tonight?

Marissa: watching you get kicked out of a club...twice, yeah actually I kinda did

Ryan: yeah you were pretty good with the bouncer

Marissa: impressed?

Ryan: kinda was

Marissa: see I think I should be the brains

Ryan: no Seth's the brains

Marissa: well you're clearly not the beauty

Ryan: ooooh an now someone's the bitch (smiles)

Marissa: (laughs) oooh really (leans back and grabs a pillow) ok

Ryan: (puts his hand up to block the pillow) hey, hey, hey, hey

(Ryan is now on the floor and Marissa is standing over him)

Marissa: (laughing) come on fight back

Ryan: alright, alright

(Marissa drops the pillow on his face)

Marissa: I win

Ryan: yeah, yeah you win

Marissa: ill be right back (goes to the bathroom)

CUT TO: Cohen front door - Kirsten answers it and Luke is standing there

Luke: hey Mrs. Cohen uh is-is Ryan around

Kirsten: yeah he's in the pool house

CUT TO: Ryan is taking off his shoes, Luke knocks and walks in

Ryan: Luke (stands up)