01x01 - The Pilot

Episode transcripts for the TV show, "Degrassi Next Generation." Aired: October 2001 to July 2010.*
Watch/Buy Amazon  Merchandise

About the kids at Degrassi Community School. Centralizing around the children of the original characters from Degrassi High (1987). The show aims to deal with serious and sometimes taboo issues that plague teenagers.

01x01 - The Pilot

Post by bunniefuu »

[The Nelson House - Emma’s room.]

(Emma (a blond girl of about 12) is sitting at her computer with her best friend Manny (a brunette girl of about 12))

Emma: Read it again Manny.

Manny: Again? I’ve read it six times.

Emma: Just one more time. Please

Manny: Ok. “Emma, you saved my heart and my project. If we protect the wildlife refuge, I owe it all to you. Love you, Jordan.”

Emma. Love you. Love you. (They both squeal) Let me see his picture again. (She scrolls down the screen on the computer and we see a cute brunette boy in several pictures) He gets cuter every time we see his face.

Manny: Is that possible?

Emma: Hey Manny. Don’t wreck that. I want Caitlin to autograph it. (We see a magazine with a blond woman on the cover, who must be Caitlin)

[The Nelsons’ House Downstairs]

(We see a photograph, which must be of Emma + her mom when Emma was little. The camera moves up and we see her mom put it in a box.)

Spike (Emma’s mom’s nickname): Emma! Ready to go?

Emma: Just a minute.

Spike: We don’t have a minute. J.T.’s waiting for us.

(Emma minimizes her e-mail from Jordan. She is trying to close it. Her and Manny get nervous. Emma’s mom enters the room.)

[Emma’s Room]

Spike: Em, your room’s a disaster. I thought you were going to clean it up.

Emma: I will.

Spike: And turn off that computer.

Emma: I was just showing Manny your reunion website.

(Emma brings up the reunion site. Spike takes the mouse and clicks on pictures of her and her classmates when they were at Degrassi.)

Spike: (stops on a picture of a girl) I always knew she’d made it big. (Keeps going and stops on a picture of herself with blond Mohawk hair) How’s that for a hair-do? Could I have been any cooler?

Emma: Uh, yeah.

Spike: My ten year reunion. Wow. It’s gonna be great seeing everyone again. I’m getting as bad as you guys. Come on, let’s go (as she leaves, she takes the hat off Manny’s head)

Manny: (to Spike) That’s some pretty cool stuff you collected for the reunion.

Spike: Thanks. Emma now! (Emma gets up to leave and sees she has a new e-mail) Emma! (Emma leaves)

Theme song

[Degrassi Community School]

Spike: Thanks for dropping these off.

Manny: No problem Miss Nelson. Gives us a chance to see the school.

J.T.: Don’t you think we’ll be seeing enough of it over the next year?

Spike: You sure you can handle that?

J.T.: I’m smug, but strong. Like bull.

Emma: Speaking of bull…

Spike: Thanks again, guys. And Em…

Emma: Yes, I’ll clean my room. She rushed me out of the house so fast, I didn’t get a chance to read my new e-mail. I hope it’s from Jordan. ‘Cause in the last e-mail he told me that… (Walks away talking to Manny)

J.T.: Guys! Help!

[Inside Degrassi]

Manny: That sucks about the e-mail.

Emma: I know. But, Jordan e-mailed me last night too.

Manny: Really? What’d he say?

Emma: (closes her eyes) “I got over 6,000 names on my petition to keep the polar wildlife refuge untouched. Thanks for all your help with all this, Em, and your great idea. You're the best.”

Manny: Wow.

Emma: I suggested the petition, but Jordan did all the work. He’s so committed.

Manny: Too bad he lives in Yellowknife.

J.T.: Help! (He drops the boxes)

Emma: J.T.! (Emma + Manny run to help him)

(They start to pick stuff up. Emma picks up a photo of three guys, who were probably friends in a band.)

Emma: People in the 80s’ were weird.

[Jeremiah Motors]

Joey: This car is retro meets modernism, Lucy. It’s got the zing of the past with the technology of the future. It’s even got that little bug vase that you put the flower in. It’s like, Peace man, like a hippie.

Lucy: Joey, ideally I’d like a car that’s bigger than my laptop. I’ve got to move to New Mexico in this thing.

Joey: This car is bigger than it looks, Lucy, trust me, okay? Why don’t we take her for a spin, we’ll drop your stuff off at Degrassi, and when we get back you’ll be begging me to make a deal.

Lucy: Alright, alright. Tell me that’s not Angela. (A little girl of about five walks up to them)

Joey: Yeah.

Lucy: Hey, cutie, you’re practically a teenager.

Joey: Can you say, “Hi Lucy”?

Angela: Hi. (She waves)

Lucy: Hi. (She waves back)

Joey: She starts kindergarten next week, can you believe it? It’s gonna be great. She really needs to be around other people.

Lucy: Speaking of needing other people, I checked the reunion website last night. You’re not confirmed.

Joey: I know. I know.

Lucy: Joey, we’re all really sorry your wife d*ed, but, it’s been a year. I think that Julia would be upset if she thought you were cutting yourself off from people.

Joey: Can we… uh… Why don’t I go in, get the keys and we’ll go out for a spin, okay? Angela, you wanna go for a spin? Yeah, we’re gonna sell Lucy a car. Yeah, yeah, yeah. (Goes inside with Angela)

[Degrassi]

Emma: I really hope you’re Mr. Simpson.

Archie: I am. And you must be Emma. Wow. Wow. Wow. Spike found all of this stuff, it’s amazing.

Manny: Spike?

Emma: My mom’s nickname. Don’t ask. (They put the Boxes down.)

Archie: (Takes the hat off J.T.) And I can see Fedora’s are making a comeback. (Puts the hat on his head) Great. Thanks a lot guys. Uh, listen, go and enjoy your last few days of freedom.

J.T.: Spike? (Emma hits him) Ow! (They start to run)

Archie: Hey guys, no running! No running! No running! Okay, just keep running. Don’t listen to me. Alright.

[Hallway]

(As they run, they hit the lockers. They stop running in front of the Media Immersion Lab.)

Emma: Holy…

Manny: Look at all the computers.

(Manny and J.T. start to walk away, but Emma stays.)

J.T.: Emma? Let’s go. Oh, I see. Gonna e-mail Jordan from here?

Emma: Shut up!

J.T.: (mimicking Emma) Oh, he can read into my soul. (Emma punches him) Ow.

Mr. Raditich: And the jewel on the Degrassi crown, the Media Immersion Lab. Every computer here is connected to the internet via high speed telephone access.

Jeff: Oh, you see Toby? Didn’t have that at your old school.

J.T.; Toby?

Toby: J.T.?

(J. T. goes up to Toby.)

J.T. and Toby: Mickey hickey wampum, Mickey hickey yeah, Mickey hickey wigwam, North Creek summer camp.

J.T.: Dude, what are you doing here?

Manny: I guess they’re friends.

Toby: My dad moved in with his girlfriend and Degrassi was the closest school so…

Mr. R.: I think we’ll let you two get reacquainted and your father and I will finish filling out the forms in my office.

Jeff: So, Toby, you gonna need a…

Toby: I’m gonna walk home, ok?

Jeff: Cool.

J.T.: Oh, sorry. Manny, Emma, this is Toby. We were at camp together.

Emma: No, really?

Toby: Nice to meet you

Emma: Yeah. Ok, the coast is finally clear. Manny, you’re coming in with me.

Manny: No, no.

Emma: You two stand guard.

(Emma and Manny go inside the Media Immersion Lab so Emma can check her e-mail.)

Toby: So is your friend always like that?

J. T.: Always.

Toby: Really?

(Manny runs up to the door and scares them by hitting it.)

Toby: Kids.

[Another part of Degrassi]

(Archie is looking through photos.)

[Inside a black limo. A blond woman (Caitlin Ryan) is talking on her cell phone)]

Caitlin: Keith, I know you’re really overworked right now. But this weekends really, really important to me. (As she talks they show her on a magazine, then her actually talking) Come on, it's just one weekend. I want to show you off. Show us off. Please? Yeah, that’s perfect. Great. 5:00. Thanks babe. I love you too.

(She closes her cell phone. When she does, we see an engagement ring on her hand, which means, Keith is her fiancé.)

[Degrassi]

(Caitlin gets out of the limo and enters Degrassi.)

Caitlin: Thanks. (To the driver opening the car door)

Driver: You’re welcome.

[Inside Degrassi]

Caitlin: Snake!

Archie: Caitlin. Oh my… (Drops his box he’s carrying and gives her a hug) Wow. Hey. Oh wow, it’s great to see you.

Caitlin: Likewise. So you’re a teacher at Degrassi. Ok, here (gives him a headband)

Archie: Ok, now. This is your best memory of Degrassi?

Caitlin: What? So I went through a headband phase. Come on, it was the 80s’. You were there.

Archie: Speaking of the 80s’… how about this? Joey’s fedora.

Caitlin: Ok. (Puts the hat on)

Archie: Nice. Nice. It suits you.

Caitlin: Where’s the shirt?

Archie: I don’t know. I think Joey’s still wearing it, you know?

[Outside Degrassi]

Lucy: (Sees the limo) Oh, look at that. Why don’t you sell a car like that, Jeremiah?

(Joey looks inside Degrassi. He sees her and she sees him. She walks slowly when she sees him. (You can tell that maybe they were once together))

[Media Immersion Lab]

Emma: Manny, would you calm down? If we’re caught, I’ll say I forced you.

Manny: Ha, ha. What? What‘d he say?

Emma: Manny, Jordan’s coming here. And he wants to meet me. Tomorrow.

[Degrassi entrance]

Caitlin: So what’s your dinosaur’s name?

Angela: Ally.

Caitlin: Ally?

Joey: So you’re getting married. Congratulations.

Lucy: Yeah. When’s the big day?

Caitlin: Sometime next year. And we haven’t narrowed it down yet, but, um, you are all invited.

Archie: Great. So when do we actually get to meet Keith?

Caitlin: He’s on an afternoon flight from L.A. He’s dying to meet you guys.

Joey: L.A. Is he in show business?

Caitlin: He’s a director.

Joey: I always knew you’d meet the guy.

Caitlin: Well, I guess, um, I should probably go. Uh, check into my hotel. Uh, but, Joey, the reunion. You really not gonna go?

Joey: No, I’m not.

Caitlin: Well, then at least come out for drinks with us tonight.

Joey: I, uh…

Lucy: You know what? He’d love to. We’ll both be there.

Caitlin: Great. So I’ll see you guys later then. (Mr. Simpson takes the hat off her as she leaves)

Lucy: By Caitlin.

[Playground.]

(Emma and Manny are on a tire swing.)

Emma: I want to meet him. It’s just I told him I was in high school.

Manny: You almost are. Jordan’s coming here. You have to meet him. It’s fate.

Toby: Who’s Jordan?

J.T.: Some creep Emma met on the ‘Net. I bet he lives in Scarbrough + works in a video store. I bet he’s 40 and drools.

Emma: You still wet the bed and I’m friends with you.

J.T.: Ha ha ha.

Toby: Ok. If you’re meeting a stranger you met off of the ‘Net, that could be really dangerous.

Emma: He’s not a stranger. He e-mailed me his picture. I’ve known Jordan a lot longer than I’ve known you.

Manny: Guys, it’s cool. Jordan’s 16. He’s coming here on a school trip.

J.T.: School trip? It’s summer.

Emma: He organized it back in the spring. He got to go at the last minute. Stop making it into something it’s not.

(They start spraying each other with water g*ns.)

[The Nelson’s House - Emma house]

(Spike and Caitlin are looking at the reunion website.)

Caitlin: Oh my god. Wait. Wait. Go back. I wanna see that one again. Don’t try and speed past that one.

Spike: (looking at Caitlin’s engagement ring) I can’t wait to meet Keith. He’s got great taste in jewelry. That’s a good sign.

Caitlin: Well, thank you. Um, actually, I picked it out myself. ‘Cause, he, you know, was so busy with pre-production and all that kind of stuff, he just gave me his card and said, “Go crazy.”

Spike: Can’t complain about crazy.

(Emma enters with a sandwich and drink.)

Emma: Why are you on my computer?

Spike: Excuse me, our computer.

Emma: You’re on the reunion site again? Next time can we try asking before trespassing?

Spike: Next time can we be more polite to our guest? Em…

Emma: Caitlin Ryan. Ryan’s Planet! Birth date: March 2nd 1972. You’re a Pisces right?

Spike: And you’re a stalker.

Emma: I can’t believe you’re actually here, in my really messy room.

Caitlin: Don’t worry about it. Oh my god, it’s great to see you. All grown up.

Spike: She wishes. So… expecting an e-mail from your boyfriend?

Emma: Did you…you hacked my e-mail? Haven’t you ever heard of privacy?

Spike: Relax, I couldn’t hack my way out of a paper bag. But I can tell when my daughter’s getting interested in boys.

Emma: Mom. I’m not having sex.

Spike: I’m gonna have fun this weekend right?

Caitlin: I promise. (They leave) Bye.

(Emma closes the door.)
[Emma’s room - Later]

Emma: Ok. We’ve gone through all the e-mail. No video store. No mention of missing teeth.

Manny: J.T.’s just worried about you.

Emma: J.T.’s just immature.

Manny: That Toby guy seems okay.

Emma: He’s fine, I guess. Yeah. Girls are so much more mature than boys. That’s why I like Jordan. I’ve never had a boyfriend so smart, so thoughtful.

Manny: Em, you’ve never had a boyfriend.

Emma: I know.

Manny: Maybe…

Emma: What?

Manny: What Toby said, about meeting strangers on the ‘Net, Being dangerous…

Emma: Manny I can take care of myself. You don’t need to worry so much. We’ll meet somewhere in public.

Manny: Maybe you should just talk to your mom. She’s cool. She’d understand.

Emma: She’s not that cool. Are you saying you don’t think I should meet Jordan?

Manny: Hey!

[A Bar]

Keith: Teaching. It’s so noble. You know, giving back, etc. Actually, I’m, uh, working on a script about you guys, kind of a Dangerous Minds meets Footloose kind of thing. (Phone rings) Just a second. Let me take this. (On phone) Yo, Frankie. Yeah. No, I’m in Toronto. No, I haven’t seen any eskimos yet. Uh…

Lucy: Caitlin, I watch your show every week. The situations you get yourself into, you’re amazingly brave.

Caitlin: Brave? So what about you?

Lucy: What about me?

Joey: Come on, don’t be so modest. 2 years of physical therapy. Followed by an honors BA and a masters in anthropology?

Spike: A Ph. D in one more year?

Lucy: Guys, it’s not brave.

Caitlin: Oh, yeah, you’re right. It’s just brilliant, awesome, and amazing.

Lucy: It’s not even awesome, it’s just life. I survived the accident. I got off easy.

Archie: Sorta like Wheels. Kills a kid. 10 years later, scot-free.

Joey: (on TV) Hey! We got white ones. We got red ones We got big ones and we got small ones. I’m gonna give you a bumper to bumper warranty. That’s right. At Jeremiah motors, if you find a lower price anywhere else, I’ll give you the shirt off my back (takes off his shirt)

Lucy: Joey! That’s awful!

Joey: I needed a commercial, I made a commercial.

Keith: Right on, man. And it makes or breaks a business. Just, just one more second. Frankie, listen, listen to me. They’re from a major. You’re not going to sign the deal on some low rent pancake house. Fix it, ok? (Hangs up phone) But, uh, Joey, next time, hire a real actor. You know, avoid this sifty used cars salesman vibe. I mean, that’s what I would do.

Joey: No, thank you, Keith.

Keith: No problem. That’s what they pay me the big bucks for.

Archie: It’s funny, it’s classic, it’s…

Everyone else: It’s Joey!

Caitlin: Keith, if you had seen Joey in high school, total ham, the whole way through. I think it’s great, despite everything you’ve been through, you’re still the same old Joey.

Joey: Actually, uh, I have changed. And so have you. Excuse me.

Keith: So….

[Joey drinking at the bar.]

(Archie comes up to him.)

Archie: (To Bartender) Can we have two more of those? Thanks. Joey, were you over there right now?

Joey: Yeah I know. I’m just waiting for my cab.

Archie: What’s going on here?

Joey: Nothing’s going on. I just knew this was a bad idea so I’m going home.

Archie: Oh, Joey, come on.

Joey: Snake, get off my back please. Don’t start.

Archie: Cutting out the rest of the world isn’t going to bring her back. You know that, right?

Joey: Will you save the psycho 101 crap for your students? I’m not a child. I don’t need you or anyone else telling me how to live my life.

Archie: Joey, we’re your friends. We’re worried about you.

Joey: All I get is people feeling sorry for me. Why do you think I don’t wanna go tomorrow night? It just makes me feel worse.

Archie: So this has nothing to do with Caitlin?

Joey: No! No it doesn’t, all right? All right, I don’t like her boyfriend.

Archie: Fiancée.

Joey: Whatever. And I don’t like the fact she feels sorry for me. But, I’m fine. And frankly, I’m sick and tired of everyone trying to save me.

Archie: You know what? I’d look and see who feels sorry for who right now.

(Archie finishes his drink and goes back to the table, leaving Joey alone. Joey looks at them, then looks away.)

[The Nelsons’ House]

(Emma is asleep. Lucy, Spike, and Caitlin come in, singing a song.)

Girls: …everybody wants something they’ll never give up. Everybody wants something that’ll take you money and never give up. (A song)

Lucy: We still know the words. God help us.

Spike: Who wants a glass of champagne?

Lucy: I do.

Caitlin: Hey, can we spike your hair now? Oh, come on, 80s’ are back. Besides, the Go-Go’s have reunited. Come on. (While their talking, Emma is coming downstairs)

Spike: Emma, we woke you up.

Caitlin: Sorry, Em.

Spike: We promised to be quiet. Ladies bubbly?

Caitlin: Just one glass though. Keith’s waiting for me back at the hotel. Hey, Emma. How are you? It’s so good to see you.

Emma: Caitlin, can I ask you something?

Caitlin: Sure. Let me guess… your boyfriend?

Emma: My friends don’t think I should be with him.

Caitlin: Well, what do you think? I mean, do you like him?

Emma: Yeah, we get along so great. Sometimes, it’s like he can read into my soul.

Caitlin: Well, sometimes you just have to take a chance. Go for it. Even if your friends don’t think it’s right.

Emma: Like what you do for the environment?

Caitlin: Yeah, exactly. If my family had their way, I’d be working in an office right now. Somewhere on Bay Street. Oh, what an awful thought. So, is he cute? Come on, I want details. Details, details.

[The kitchen.]

Lucy: Hey, Spike, what do you think of Keith?

Spike: Caitlin could do a lot better. (Lucy puts the hat on) Ooh, nice.

[The stairs (Spike is listening to Caitlin and Emma talk)]

Emma: But, how do you know? I mean, when it’s one of those times?

Caitlin: Well, you know in here. (Meaning, your heart.) And it’s usually right.

(Spike comes up to them.)

Spike: Oops. Bonding moment?

Caitlin: Oh, no. No. Just boring Emma with tales of my environmental crusades.

Emma: What you said….wow.

Spike: Honey, do you wanna join us for a minute?

Emma: No, I’m tired.

Caitlin: Good night.

Spike: ‘Night, Em. So… what were you talking about?

Caitlin: Wouldn’t you like to know? Oh, she’s so young.

Lucy: Oh, and you’re so old.

Caitlin: What? I’m practically 30.

Lucy: I refuse to have biological clock. Honestly, I don’t even feel it.

Spike: I wouldn’t mind going out on a date.

Caitlin: Oh my god that’s the best thing about Keith. No more flirting with men in sandals over organic food and environmental chit chat.

Lucy: Poor Caitlin. So many vegans, so little time.

[Emma’s bedroom. She is her computer, writing Jordan an e-mail that she wants to meet him. (It says: “Dear Jordan, I am totally into meet tomorrow” - Emma]

Emma: Sometimes you just… (Sends him the e-mail) go for it.

END