01x05 - Parent's Day

Episode transcripts for the TV show, "Degrassi Next Generation." Aired: October 2001 to July 2010.*
Watch/Buy Amazon  Merchandise

About the kids at Degrassi Community School. Centralizing around the children of the original characters from Degrassi High (1987). The show aims to deal with serious and sometimes taboo issues that plague teenagers.

01x05 - Parent's Day

Post by bunniefuu »

Degrassi Community School

(Toby and JT are heading in.)

Toby: 28 hours, 14 minutes, 7 seconds. 28 hours, 14 minutes…

JT: Would you stop with the countdown please?

Toby: Sure, you’ve got Parents’ Day in the bag.

JT: What? Ok, you Einstein. Me, brain-dead.

Toby: I mean, your parents aren’t homesuidal maniacs.

JT: I thought Kate and Jeff were getting along great.

Toby: I’m not talking about Kate.

JT: Whoa. Your mom’s coming tomorrow? Oh, man. I should sell tickets. Remember that time at camp when they both came to pick you up?

Toby: Don’t remind me.

JT: Can’t you just ask your mom not to come?

Toby: Sure, if I want to start a nuclear custody w*r.

JT: Maybe they won’t start screaming this time.

Toby: Yeah. Maybe Mr. Armstrong will your parents about the “D” on your last math test.

JT: How much time do we have left?

Toby: 28 hours, 13 minutes, and 17 seconds. 28 hours, 13 minutes, and 16 seconds. 28 hours, 13 minutes, and 15 seconds.

Hall

Toby: The way it works now is perfect. Every other weekend with my mom, the rest of the time with my dad. And as long as they don’t have to talk to each other, everything’s fine.

JT: Sorry, man. I didn’t know it was that serious.

Toby: Yeah, well, it is that serious.

JT: Hey, we could contaminate the water foundations with E coli, that way they’d have to shut down the school, right?

Toby: There probably is E coli in the foundations.

Mr. S: (as he’s taking a drink) Actually, we test our water on a daily basis, boys. It’s fine.

(Bell rings.)

Mr. Simpson’s homeroom

Mr. S: Ok guys, quiet down. (JT and Toby come in behind him) We don’t have Ashley today, but we do have this week’s News About Kids broadcast.

Emma: Uh, NAK again.

Mr. S: Em? Something you wanna share?

Emma: No, Mr. Simpson. (She sits down)

(Mr. Simpson turns on the tv. The NAK people appear on screen.)

Ryan: Hi, I’m Ryan, and this is Nicole. And welcome to NAK: News About Kids. Today we’ll be talking about that infests major cities everywhere

Nicole: And we’re not talking cockroaches, we’re talking squeegee kids.

Ryan: Stalking street corners, waiting to pounce on un suspecting cars. (Shows footage as he talks). Hijacking your hard-earned cash to waste on dr*gs and tattoos. (Shows Emma watching.)

Nicole: Are squeegee kids legit or lazy? Are they using their “cool” trend for today’s media saturated youth?

Mr. S: Remember guys, you’re here for media studies after lunch.

(The students leave for class.)

Manny: Em, it was just a TV show.

Liberty: Squeegee kids are very annoying.

Emma: No, squeegee kids are poor. They live on the street and wash windows. It’s their living.

Liberty: My father says that if another one of those ragamuffins tries to dirty up his window, he’ll call the mayor. He knows the mayor.

(Liberty walks away.)

Emma: Last week NAK told us to join the army. What’s tomorrow? A hole in the O-Zone is good because it makes a better tan? Imagine being a squeegee kid. Out in the cold, no school, no parents.

Toby: No parents?

Emma: Toby this isn’t a joke. (Starts to walk backwards, so she bumps into Sean.)

Manny: He stared right at you.

Emma: Yeah, because I bumped right into him.

Girls’ Washroom

(Ashley is at the mirror looking at her face. Paige and Terri come in.)

Paige: Oh, here we go again.

Ashley: Here we go what again?

Paige: Every time NAK claims your airspace, you go all manic-depressive.

Ashley: That is so not true. I just- look at this zit!

Terri: That’s a pore and Paige has a point.

Ashley: Terri…

Terri: I don’t get why you gets so bothered. Everybody loves your morning announcements. Even Heather Sinclair said you were better than those lame-o NAK hosts.

Paige: Oh, yeah, big accomplishment. They’re total freaks.

Terri: Heather even has an agent. You could totally get an agent.

Paige: Heather Sinclair has an agent? With that overbite?

Terri: See? Ashley’s got the look and tv experience. It’s perfect.

Paige: Where would Ashley find an agent?

Ashley: Guys, Toby is mom’s a casting agent. Terri, you rock!

(Ashley and Terri leave the bathroom. Paige stays behind to wash her hands. She is not happy.)

Outside

Toby: JT, come on. We’ve got to come up with an anti-parents plan.

JT: What does it look like I’m doing?

Toby: Uh, playing the seeds for a massive heart att*ck?

JT: To plot evil, I need energy (Ashley + Terri come up to them)

Ashley: Hey. Just the person I was looking for. Your mom’s a casting agent, right?

Toby: Yeah, so?

Terri: So, is she coming to Parents’ Day?

Toby: Thank you, for reminding me.

Ashley: Is that a yes?

Toby: Yeah, why?

Ashley: No reason.

(They walk away.)

JT: What was that about?

Toby: I have no idea.

(They go to a table where Manny and Emma are.)

Manny: It’s not like people really think about it.

Emma: That’s the thing. They don’t us to think. They want us to become brain-dead NAK robots.

Toby: What’s with her?

Manny: NAK rage, kind of like road rage.

Emma: And the announcements? They have commercials. They’re trying to buy our bran loyalty in homeroom.

JT: Emma, who are you talking to?

Emma: I could talk, or I could take action.

(Emma leaves.)

JT: Imagine being her for a day.

Hall

(Spinner is walking and talking with Paige.)

Spinner: Ok, so then the guy goes, “What are you going to do for a face when the monkey wants its butt back?” (He laughs, but she doesn’t.) What? You don’t get it? The guy has a face like a monkey’s butt?

Paige: Spinner, do you think Ashley’s prettier than me?

Spinner: What?

Paige: Because she’s thinking about getting an agent (they sit down).

Spinner: Oh, Ashley’s getting an agent? I could totally see her on TV.

Paige: What? And you couldn’t see me?

Spinner: I didn’t say that.

Paige: So you think that I could get an agent too, right?

Spinner: Uh, yeah. Sure, why not? Ok, back to my joke. So then the guy goes…wait, is that the right word? Yeah, no, yeah, yeah. So, then the guy goes… (While he’s talking, Paige isn’t listening)

Mr. Raditch’s Office

Emma: Mr. Raditch, could I talk to you about this morning’s NAK broadcast?

Mr. R: I’m all ears.

Emma: NAK is totally bias. This morning they tell us squeegee kids suck, and then they tell us which running shoes to buy? It’s wrong.

Mr. R: How you seen the new computers in the Media Immersion lab? 18 computers thanks to NAK. In exchange, we show their morning broadcasts.

Emma: Whatever they want to report?

(Mr. R nods.)

Emma: But that’s bribery.

Mr. R: No, it’s 18 new computers we wouldn’t have otherwise. Parents voted for it. And remember, not everyone at Degrassi has a computer at home. But, if you feel strongly about it, write an opinion piece. Make sure you get it in by 4:00. Make the Parents’ Day addition.

Emma: 4:00 today?

Mr. R: Think you can do it?

(The bell rings. Emma nods as she leaves.)

Hall

(Ashley and Terri are leaving class.)

Ashley: So, I signed us up for the welcoming committee, Teri. Which means, I’ll be the first person Toby’s mother sees.

Terri: Great.

Paige: Unless she sees me first.

Ashley: What?

Paige: Well, I am helping out tomorrow.

Ashley: Since when?

Paige: Ashley, you asked me like, 3 weeks ago to volunteer, remember? Anyway, see you two later.

Media Immersion.

Manny: I can’t believe the principal is asking you to do this. You’re like, attacking the school.

Emma: I know. It’s very cool.

(They go to sit down, but Sean’s stuff is in a seat.)

Manny: I’ll stand.

(Emma nods and sits down.)

Emma: Ok, so let’s try to imagine. You’re a squeegee kid.

Manny: Ok. I’m a squeegee kid.

Emma: So how does it feel being compared to a cockroach?

Manny: I’d say, “Hey, preppy kids. Get off my case. We’re people, too.”

Sean: Oh, please.

Emma: Could… We need the chair.

(Sean gets up and leaves.)

Emma: Talk about negative energy.

Another part of Media Immersion

Toby: Emma’s right. I could whine or I could do something about Parents’ Day.

JT: Ok, so, what are you going to do?

Toby: Convince my parents there’s no need to show up. Ok, I downloaded the logo from the Degrassi website. Then, I scanned Mr. Simpson’s signature from the last newsletter he sent home. It’s a masterpiece.

JT: Masterpiece or insanity. OK, your parents don’t have to come because of your exemplary performance in all of your scholastic pursuits. What?

Toby: Translation: I’m acing school. It’s all in the details, my friend. This’ll work. It has to.

Hall

(Emma is running to the newspaper office to hand in her story.)

Emma: (knocks on the door) Liberty, my NAK editorial. I just finished.

Liberty: (checking her watch) You’re 17 minutes late.

Emma: I’m sorry.

Liberty: The Grapevine deadline is 4 P.M. I’m trying to run a professional operation.

Emma: Even professional newspapers give extensions. It’s 17 minutes.

Liberty: I suppose I could make an exception for you. But, please try not to get used to it. Remember, as editor, I’m only as strong as my weakest link.

(Emma gives her the disk and leaves.)

Kerwin House

(Toby is in the kitchen with his dad.)

Toby: I was shocked more than anyone. Who knew I was doing so well? You know, this transfer to Degrassi has really…

Jeff: “Uplifted Toby’s grade classification to a premium standard.” Interesting choice of words from Mr. Simpson.

Toby: Well, you know, he’s a computer guy. Writing isn’t really his thing.

Jeff: Neither is spelling. Two E’s in premium. What’s going on?

Toby: Nothing’s going on.

Jeff: You don’t want me to go to Parents’ Day?

Toby: I didn’t say that.

Jeff: You didn’t need to. Are you doing that badly in school or what? Talk to me Toby.

Toby: Mom called, ok? She wants to go tomorrow.

Jeff: And she didn’t even tell me. That is so typical of your mother.

Toby: See? You guys can’t even be in the same room without freaking out.

Jeff: Toby. We’re on much better terms now. It’s not like it used to be. So, what you don’t want to go?

Toby: I want you to go and I want her to go. I just don’t want the two of you to go there… together.

Jeff: Hey, come on buddy. Everything’s going to be fine. No fights. Promise. (Holds up his hand)

Degrassi’s Parents’ Day

(As parents head inside, the camera closes up on a sign that says “Welcome Parents to D.S.C Parents Day”.)
Girls Washroom.

(Ashley and Terri are in there. Ashley is trying to put on eyeliner.)

Ashley: Look at me. I’m shaking. You do it. (Gives it to Terri, but Terri pokes her in the eye) Ow! Be careful. It’s my eye. It’s what I see with.

Terri: Sorry. I’m not good at this.

Paige: Ladies. (She comes out a stall wearing a yellow sparkly top that’s very short)

Ashley: What are you wearing?

Paige: It’s Parents Day. I have the right to look fabulous, don’t I?

Ashley: For who, the parents? Or Toby’s mom?

Paige: See you out there.

(Paige leaves, then Ashley and Terri follow.)

Hall

(Toby and Jeff are waiting for Toby’s mom.)

Toby: Guess she forgot.

Jeff: You know your mother. We’ll give her two more minutes. Hey, tobs, it’ll be fine.

Ashley: Mrs. Demcowski? Room 102.

Man: Thank you.

(Toby’s mom comes up to them.)

Terri: Hi, can I help you?

Ashley: Uh, Terri, this is Toby’s mom, the casting agent. Welcome to Degrassi, Ms. Issacs.

Annemarie: Hi.

Paige: Can I just say that that is a great outfit? So avante garde.

Annemarie: Thank you. Wholt Rentthrough. On Sale.

Toby: Hi, mom.

Annemarie: Hey, tiger. I’m sorry I’m late.

Jeff: Annemarie. Flat tire?

Annemarie: I could Toby that I might beheld up at work. Parents Day isn’t over already, is it?

Jeff: No, no. We’d better get moving though.

Paige: Paige Michalchuk. It’s very nice to meet you. I’ve heard so much about you.

Ashley: Smooth, Michalchuk. I bet you’re on the next flight to Hollywood.

Paige: Hon, I’d re-think the eyeliner. You’re looking a little washed out.

Media Immersion.

(Toby and his parents are in there, meeting with Mr. Simpson.)

Mr. S: Uh, there’s no doubt Toby is a bright kid, but, uh, he has trouble with details, particularly his spelling, some of the basic points of grammar. This tends to bring down his marks. For example, in Media Immersion, Toby could be at the top of his class if he just applied himself.

Toby: “Apply” is such a relative term.

Mr. S: Toby, come on. Your last media assignment was 3 days late. He’s just not getting the results he should for someone so bright.

Annemarie: 3 days late?

Jeff: First I’ve heard of it. Toby?

Annemarie: Jeff, I’m talking to you. This is Parents Day. You’re the parent.

Jeff: We’re both the parents here and we’ll discuss it later, ok?

Annemarie: We will discuss it now. Why aren’t you helping Toby get his work in on time? Why is he under achieving?

Jeff: Toby and I will work it out. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

Hall

Spike: I am so proud of you. Rave review after rave review.

Emma: Mom, my editorial.

(Tracker and Sean come out of a room.)

Tracker: So you have to watch this video every morning? Free computers are free computers, man. What idiot wrote this?

Emma: Excuse me, I wrote that.

Tracker: Oh, sorry.

Emma: Don’t look at her. It’s my piece and I’m right. Students shouldn’t be force fed advertising while we’re at school. If you don’t get it, you’re the idiot.

Spike: Emma…

Sean: Look, it’s not that serious.

Emma: What? Expressing my opinion isn’t important?

Sean: That’s all my brother’s trying to do.

Emma: I could tell, and he’s wrong.

Tracker: I’m wrong? Tell me Emma, is it fair or is it wrong that Sean here is falling behind in school because we can’t afford a computer?

Emma: He can do his homework here.

Tracker: What? Yeah, on the free computers.

Emma: If you read the entire article, you would know…

Tracker: That it’s a piece of garbage.

Emma: It is not garbage!

Tracker: (crumples it up) Looks like garbage to me. Smells like garbage.

Sean: Tracker, man…

Tracker: All I’m saying is there is two sides to every story. Try to remember that next time.

(Tracker and Sean leave.)

Media Immersion.

Mr. S: It was only once, but still, skipping a class even once at this grade level.

Annemarie: What is going on here?

Toby: One class. I got carried away in the computer lab.

Annemarie: I thought moving in with you and June Clever was supposed to be good for Toby’s grades, wasn’t that the point?

Jeff: What are you saying?

Toby: Dad, come on.

Annemarie: I’m saying that maybe we need to reassess Toby’s living arrangements.

Jeff: Don’t thr*aten me.

Annemarie: Hey that’s your game.

Jeff: What? And breaking commitments is yours? That’s why Toby lives with me.

Mr. S: Mr. and Mrs. Issacs. These are common problems for many students.

Annemarie: So it’s my fault? Jeff, let’s not get into the reasons why I left, ok?

Jeff: Reasons why you left? There’s only one reason, Annemarie. Your career. Your career that meant so much more to you than we ever did. That’s why Toby lives with me and he’ll never….

Toby: Mom! Dad! Yeah, my assignment was late! Who’s to blame? Video games! I’m telling you, they’re destroying my generation.

Annemarie: Toby, this isn’t a joke.

Toby: I’m not joking, ok? I don’t have an excuse, but Dad can’t do my homework for me or make sure I go to class. It’s my life, right? So, it’s my problem. Stop blaming each other and then using me as another excuse to argue. It’s not fair. I’ll try harder. I promise.

Mr. S: Moving on. All right then. Let’s take a look at some of the recent test results.

Hall

Ashley: Hey. How did it go in there?

Jeff: Oh, it went okay. Toby just has to apply himself more.

Annemarie: Yeah, we’re gonna make sure he does his homework on time. But, it went okay.

Paige: Toby, hon, that’s so great.

Annemarie: Honey, listen. I’ve gotta run.

Toby: Gotta get back to work, huh?

Annemarie: Yeah. But, hey, listen. Your message came in loud and clear back there. Toby, I’m really sorry. All this stuff between your dad and me, it’s tough.

Toby: I know.

Annemarie: I love you so much. (They hug) Ashley, you have my permission to keep this monkey in line.

Ashley: Oh, I will. Don’t you worry. And it was a pleasure to see you again. An absolute joy. By the way-

Paige: (gives Annemarie a picture of herself) Something to remember me by.

(Annemarie sees Terri and gives Terri her card.)

Annemarie: If you’re interested in acting, give me a call. You have an interesting look.

(Toby’s mom leaves. Paige isn’t happy that Terri got the card.)

Classroom

(Sean is in there doing work. Emma comes in. He moves his stuff so she can sit down. Emma sends Sean a message apologizing about what happened on Parents Day. The computer tells him he has a new message. He opens it and reads it.)

Sean: I’m sorry too.

Emma: I’m a little outspoken. It runs in the family.

Sean: Maybe it’s contagious. Did you hear my brother?

Emma: “Looks like garbage.”

Sean: “Smells like garbage.” It wasn’t garbage.

Emma: Thanks.

Hall

(Toby is walking when Mr. Simpson comes up to him.)

Mr. S: Toby. Can I speak with you for a minute? Listen, yesterday….

Toby: I just want to apologize again for my parents’ behavior.

Mr. S: Oh, Toby, it wasn’t your fault. Are they always like that?

Toby: Only when they’re together. Honestly Mr. Simpson, yesterday was good. It cleared a lot of air.

Mr. S: I’m glad. Oh, listen, before I forget, next time you want to forge my signature, maybe you should spell my name correctly, and erase the file from the server.

Toby: Mr. Simpson, I can explain.

Mr. S: Good, why don’t you start with a 10 page essay on why it’s wrong to falsify documents, say by, um, tomorrow morning. And you know what? One final thing. Good work yesterday. Your parents should be proud of you. I certainly was.

End