01x08 - Secrets and Lies

Episode transcripts for the TV show, "Degrassi Next Generation." Aired: October 2001 to July 2010.*
Watch/Buy Amazon  Merchandise

About the kids at Degrassi Community School. Centralizing around the children of the original characters from Degrassi High (1987). The show aims to deal with serious and sometimes taboo issues that plague teenagers.

01x08 - Secrets and Lies

Post by bunniefuu »

Road

(Ashley and her dad, Robert Kerwin, are in a car. He is driving her home.)

Ashley: Thanks again for brunch, Dad. I had a great time.

Robert: Me too, Ash.

Ashley: Mr. Simpson is so excited that you’re coming to speak to our class tomorrow. So am I.

Robert: (As he turns into Ashley’s driveway) It should be a lot of fun.

Ashley: I can’t wait to show you off.

Robert: Ashley…

Ashley: Yeah?

Robert: Nothing, uh, just see you tomorrow (gives her a kiss; Ashley smiles)

Ashley: (Gets out of the car) ‘Bye, Dad.

Robert: ‘Bye, Hon.

Inside the House

(Ashley is entering the kitchen and hears Jeff and her mom.)

Kate: You didn’t put the vinegar in the dishwasher like I asked you to, right?

Jeff: I’m sorry, Kate, I just can’t remember things like that.

Kate: Come on, that’s an excuse Toby would make.

Jeff: (Loud) Oh, Kate, come on, you’re gonna compare. (To Ashley) You’d better be careful. She’s in one of her moods again.

Kate: Well, I wouldn’t be if you’d grasp the concept of hard water. (To Ashley) Oh, don’t worry about that. We’re just having one of our things. So, how was brunch?

Ashley: Great. Dad told me he went to this royal reception last week and shook hands with Prince Charles.

Kate: Wow. Very sheshe. So, uh, did you talk about anything else? Or just, uh, life in London?

Ashley: No. Why, was there something else?

Kate: No, just me being noisy. I’m glad you had a good time.

Degrassi Community School

(It starts on a close-up of inside a gold locket with pictures of Terri’s mom and dad. Terri is showing it to Ashley.)

Terri: My dad gave it to my mom on their first anniversary. She left it for me after she d*ed.

Ashley: Terri, it’s beautiful. But, your mom, she’s so pretty.

Terri: My dad called her his movie star. I know, it’s pretty cheesy.

Ashley: No, it’s sweet. You look just like her, you know.

Ms. Kwan: (Comes in and closes the door; she has a poster in her hand) Quiet down. Remember, our Lord Of The Flies test is in two days. So, let’s use this time in class to catch up on any reading you haven’t done.

(Terri puts her binder up so she and Ashley can whisper to each other without getting in trouble.)

Terri: So, what did your mom think of your dad moving back?

Ashley: I’m not sure.

Terri: They don’t get along?

Ashley: No, they get along fine, but, yesterday after my dad dropped me off, she was acting pretty weird.

Terri: How?

Ashley: I don’t know. She just seemed tense or something. And then she and Jeff had this fight.

(Ms. Kwan comes over to them.)

Ms. Kwan: Ashley!

(She walks away.)

Terri: So, your dad’s still coming to Media Immersion this afternoon, right?

Ashley: Yup. You’re not going to believe some of the stuff he’s uncovered, more than the news.

Terri: Wow.

Grade 7 Media Immersion

(Toby is helping Mr. Simpson.)

Toby: Ok, so, all you have to do is highlight this here, and then, you click the hyperlink button and you’re done.

Mr. Simpson: Good.

Emma: (To Sean) Have you finished your haiku for Ms. Kwan yet? Her class is in like 10 minutes.

Sean: Have you?

Emma: “Ancient waves so pure, lapping on the shores of time. Early death our fault.”

Sean: That’s happy.

Emma: That’s about our polluted oceans.

Sean: Mm-hmm.

JT: Hey guys, check this out. (He throws a paper airplane that goes right past Mr. Simpson’s head, which make everyone laugh)

Mr. Simpson: (He has it in his hand as he gets up) Ok, so who’s the aeronautics’ genius?

(Liberty gets up and approaches Mr. Simpson.)

Mr. Simpson: Liberty, this is yours?

Liberty: Yes, and I apologize profusely.

Mr. Simpson: Well… don’t let it happen again. (He sits back down. As Liberty sits back down, she smiles at JT and he smiles back and nods his head at her)

Hall

Manny: What was with Liberty? She was acting, like, totally weird.

JT: She is weird.

Toby: Why would liberty, whose never missed a day in her life, put her neck on the line, and for you?

Emma: Hello, Liberty has a major crush on JT.

JT: What?

Emma: Come on, it’s so obvious.

(JT shakes his head. Liberty approaches.)

Liberty: (Gives JT the airplane) I took it when Mr. Simpson wasn’t looking.

JT: Thanks, but, you didn’t have to. You didn’t have to take the blame in homeroom.

Liberty: Well, you know, you get in trouble so much, someone has to watch your back.

Emma: That’s very sweet of you Liberty.

Liberty: Oh, and by the way, it’s time The Grapevine has a 7th grader as Student Pick Of The Week, so, I pick you.

JT: Why?

Liberty: Well, you know, everyone knows you’re gonna be famous one day, so, I just want to say I interviewed you first.

JT: Cool.

Liberty: So, interview after school?

JT: Sure.

Liberty: ‘K.

(Liberty leaves.)

Manny: (singing) JT and Liberty (Emma joins in) sitting in a tree K-I-S-S-I-N-G.

JT: Would you shut up? She does not have a crush on me.

Emma: Sure.

Toby: Yeah, right.

Ms. Kwan’s Class

(Sean is reading his haiku and counting the syllables.)

Sean: “Poetry is crime, No idea have to rhyme, stupid waste of time.”

Ms. Kwan: A poem about hating poetry. Since poetry’s about putting your feelings into verse, this haiku actually works. Nice job, Sean. Ok, who’s next? (Liberty raises her hand) Liberty, come on down.

(Liberty gets up and goes to the front of the room.)

Liberty: “Smile like a sunbeam, height saboreant to his heart, makes me lie awake.”

Ms. Kwan: Liberty, wow. One too many syllables in the second line, but your feelings are definitely shinning through. Great work. (Liberty smiles at JT and he gives her a weird smile)

Grade 8 Media Immersion where Ashley’s dad is talking to the class

Robert: Well, they, uh, stitched me up in a field hospital on the cost of old order. I, uh, still have a piece of shrapnel (points to his lower stomach) right here. Uh, but I’m supposed to be talking to you about the role of masscommunication in society, not rehashing old w*r stories.

Mr. Simpson: That’s ok. Does anyone else have a question for Mr. Kerwin?

Paige: When the shrapnel hit, did your life, like, flash before your eyes?

Robert: My life? No, not a bit, but, the b*mb blast sure did. (Ashley is smiling as she watches)

Gym

(Ashley, Terri, and Paige are walking through the gym.)

Paige: Ok, I am so in love.

Ashley: Paige, he’s my father.

Paige: Father, smather. Your dad’s hot. In an old man sort of way. I can’t believe your mom ever let him go.

Ashley: Let him go? It didn’t exactly happen like that (They are now in the hall) He left us and moved to Europe, there wasn’t much my mom could do.

Terri: So why did he leave?

Ashley: I don’t know.

Paige: Was there another woman?

Ashley: No, he doesn’t even have a girlfriend now. They just didn’t get along.

Paige: Well, maybe now that he’s back, maybe your mom and dad will work things out, get back together.

(After talking with Mr. Simpson, Ashley’s dad comes up to them.)

Robert: Hey, Ash. Need a ride home after school? (She nods) Meet you out front. Nice meeting you girls. (He walks away)

Terri & Paige: ‘Bye, Mr. Kerwin.

Ashley: (Imitating Paige & Terri) “’Bye, Mr. Kerwin.”

Hall

(Toby is at his locker.)

JT: Toby. Toby, over here. Tobs. (Knocks on a locker he’s inside of)

(Toby hits one and opens it. He finds JT inside it.)

Toby: What are you doing?

JT: Avoiding Liberty.

Toby: What about your interview?

JT: Did you hear her haiku? She wants me, man. I’m out of here.

Liberty: JT, you were supposed to meet me seven minutes ago. (Takes his picture with a camera)

JT: Ah, Liberty, I forgot to tell you I can’t come to the interview tonight. Toby and I’ve got (Sees a poster for dance lessons) dance lessons tonight.

Toby: Right. Tonight it’s… ballroom.

Liberty: Oh, I get it, it’s a joke. JT, you are beyond funny. Dance lessons? With a boy? Anyway, (takes him out of the locker) let’s use your humor in the article, but, uh, if you actually want to take dance lessons, you should look me up.

JT: (Whispers to Toby) Help!

Car. Robert is driving Ashley home. He is pulling into the driveway.

Robert: (As he stops the car and Ashley takes off her seatbelt) Here we go.

Ashley: Thanks again for talking to our class today, Dad. Have I told you how happy I am that you moved back?

Robert: I’m happy, too, Ash. Ashley, can we, uh… (Kate comes outside)

Kate: I thought I heard a car. Hey, Robert (gives him a kiss).

Robert: Wow, you look great.

Kate: I’m holding a bag of garbage. Ash, there’s another bag in the garage. Could you get it while your dad and I catch up?

Ashley: Sure. (Gets out of the car) Oh, uh, Dad, we’re still on for Sunday, right?

Robert: Definitely.

Ashley: Great. (As she walks away, she watches them talking)
Kerwin kitchen

(Ashley is helping her mom.)

Kate: You know, the older your dad gets, the handsomer he becomes. Lucky guy.

Ashley: Everyone at school loved him today.

Kate: Everybody always loves him. He’s the most charming man on the planet.

Ashley: You still think so? After everything you guys have been through?

Kate: Of course. Your dad and I still care about each other, you know that Ash.

Ashley: Gee, it uh, almost sounds like you two want to get back together.

Kate: Get back together? No. What makes you say that?

Ashley: I don’t know. You guys have been acting like there’s some big secret lately. Just thought maybe it was something about you two. What, is there something?

Kate: Ash…

Ashley: He hasn’t found some other woman, has he? He’s not getting married?

Kate: No.

Ashley: Well then what? Is he gay, is that what you’re trying to tell me?

Kate: Ash, there are things your dad and I should have talked to you about a long time ago.

Ashley: Mom, I was joking.

Kate: It’s not a joke. Your dad is gay. (The camera does a close-up on Ashley’s shocked face about this news)

Hall

JT: I don’t get it. How can Ashley’s dad, like, do it with other guys? Not only that, how does he?

Toby: I don’t know JT. I didn’t ask.

JT: Women, ok? Real women, not girls, are sexy. But, guys, I mean, we have muscles, we smell, we have body hair…

Toby: You wish. Women can have body hair, too. My aunt Patina has…

JT: That’s not what I mean.

Toby: I don’t know, JT. Some people are just gay, I guess. So, how’d your interview with Liberty go?

JT: Don’t ask, don’t tell.

Cafeteria

(Ashley is sitting at a table pouring chocolate milk. Terri comes to join her.)

Terri: Hey, Ash. Can I join you?

(Ashley shrugs, so Terri sits down.)

Terri: Is everything ok?

Ashley: Yeah, everything’s fine.

Terri: You’ve been acting weird all day.

Ashley: I found out something about my dad.

(Paige comes to the table.)

Paige: Hey, Ash. Is everything ok?

Terri: Paige, we’re talking.

Paige: Perfect, because I wanted to talk about something, too. (Sits down)

Ashley: Paige, I’m really not in the mood.

Paige: Concerning your dad.

Ashley: What about him?

Paige: Ok. I was thinking. Robert Kerwin, handsome, stylish, charming, successful, total catch, right? And yet, still single.

Ashley: What’s your point?

Paige: Well, he could still be hung up on your mom, or, and I’m sure this isn’t the case, but, have you ever wondered if maybe your dad’s gay? It would explain a lot.

Ashley: is this supposed to be a joke?

Paige: No, hon, not. (Ashley throws her chocolate milk on Paige)

Ashley: (getting up and leaving) Just better mind your own business for once Paige.

Paige: But, uh, my oldest brother’s gay. Ter, I was trying to help. (Terri tries to help clean Paige up)

Outside

(At one part, JT and Toby are eating. At a table, Liberty, Emma and Manny are eating. JT and Toby are goofing around, while Liberty is staring at JT.)

Liberty: Don’t, don’t you think I’m making headway with JT? Wouldn’t it be something if we became the new Jimmy and Ashley?

Manny: Yeah, something.

Liberty: Do you think I should ask him out? Or is that even ok to do?

Emma: Sure, if you think he likes you back.

Liberty: You don’t think JT likes me?

Manny: JT’s a boy. Who knows what’s going on in his head?

(Liberty looks at JT, but he notices, so she looks away.)

JT: Ok, that’s it. I’m stood her up, I’ve ignored her, I’ve been very rude to her, and she will not take a hint.

Toby: Just tell her point blank. You’re not interested.

JT: Ok, this may sound desperate, but it’s a plan. Remember that little talk we had about Ashley’s dad and his orientation?

Toby: Yeah…

JT: Well, you know what coming out did to his marriage. What if I came out to Liberty?

Toby: Um…

JT: It’d work. You know it would.

Hall

(Ashley is walking until she sees her dad.)

Robert: Ashley.

Ashley: I have to get to class.

Robert: I’ve signed you out the rest of the afternoon. Ash, we need to talk, please?

Stairs

JT: Liberty, wait up. We need to talk.

Liberty: I couldn’t agree more. You first.

JT: You’ll be the only person who knows what I’m about to tell you, and, uh, I’d like to keep it that way, ok? So, do you promise you can keep a secret?

Liberty: Ok, I promise.

JT: Cross your heart and hope to die, promise?

Liberty: Yeah. What is it?

JT: I’m gay.

Liberty: What?

JT: I like boys, not girls. Gay.

Liberty: You, you’re joking.

JT: No, I’m not. And I thought you should know since you think we…

Liberty: You thought I had a crush on you? Please. Of course I don’t.

JT: Ok, well, um, great. It’s a lot easier than I thought it would be. You wanted to tell me something?

Liberty: No. It’s not important. But thanks for letting me know, and, uh, it’s our little secret.

Outside

(Ashley is talking with her dad.)

Ashley: So were you ever planning on telling me?

Robert: Ash, you were too young to understand.

Ashley: Too young? When you left us, ok, but, you guys had five years.

Robert: Well, we didn’t handle it correctly, I admit, but, we thought it would be best if we waited till you were older.

Ashley: Guess what? I’m older.

Robert: And it’s still pretty hard to hear, right? (She nods) This is gonna sound so selfish, and, uh, incredibly lame, but I had to find myself, Ash. Even if it meant hurting you and your mother. It’s nobody’s fault, and it’s not wrong. It’s just the way I am.

Ashley: So, why did you even get married? You didn’t love Mom.

Robert: Ash, of course I did. I still do. But, I’m not in love with her. I tried to make it work, but I just couldn’t. And I hate myself for hurting you. But it was the only thing I could do. Honest. (He holds Ashley close to him)

Media Immersion

Toby: I can’t believe that worked. No, I can’t believe you used that excuse.

JT: Ok, there she is. It’s time to cement the deal. (Kind of high pitched and acting weird) Hey Liberty girlfriend! (Walks to his seat with his hands on his knee and tilts his head)

Toby: Maybe you should tone it down. (Puts his arm around Toby. Liberty walks out as Mr. Simpson is coming in. He looks at JT and Toby and Toby takes JT’s arm off him and they turn their chairs around)

Ashley and Robert Kerwin

Ashley: Have you, you know, been with…

Robert: Other men? (She nods) Mostly just one man. Christopher.

Ashley: Christopher?

Robert: My partner. He’s a great guy.

Ashley: Christopher.

Robert: Mm-hmm.

Ashley: The blond guy with the mustache. The guy we went to the zoo with the day I got that horrible sunburn.

Robert: Mm-hmm.

Ashley: The guy you said was a friend from work. Dad, we had him over for dinner at our house.

Robert: Honey…

Ashley: You left us for him.

Robert: Ash, it’s not that simple. We fell in love. I’m sorry, but, I just don’t know how else to say it.

Ashley: No.

Robert: Ash…

Ashley: how could you do this to me?!

Robert: You see, this is exactly why I wanted to wait until you were older so that you would understand.

Ashley: Understand?

Robert: Yes, and not just hate me.

Ashley: For what Dad, huh? For knowing that you were gay or for knowing that all you’ve ever done is lie to me?!

Robert: Ashley…

(Ashley walks away quickly back into Degrassi.)

Hall

JT: Liberty, didn’t you hear what I said earlier?

Liberty: Loud and clear. And though it came as a shock, I should have seen it coming. Dance lessons? And that boy band compilation CD you own?

JT: That’s my sister’s CD.

Liberty: Whatever. So I was thinking, wouldn’t it be great, I mean, you could say no, but, wouldn’t it be great if you came out in The Grapevine?

JT: What?

Liberty: Well, you know, as part of the interview to help other kids struggling with the same issue?

JT: Liberty, I don’t think that’s a very good idea.

Liberty: JT, there’s nothing to be ashamed-

JT: Liberty, I’m not gay, ok?

Liberty: You lied?

JT: Yeah, ‘cause you wouldn’t take a hint.

Liberty: Am I really that horrible?

JT: Liberty…

Liberty: If you didn’t like me, you should have just said so. (She walks away)

Hall

(Ashley is at her locker.)

Terri: Ash, where were you after lunch?

Ashley: Nowhere. Just, leave me alone.

Terri: Ash, come on. Something happened.

Ashley: You wanna know what’s happening? My dad came here to tell me not only is he gay, but, he dropped out of my life because of his boyfriend. Is that what you wanted to hear? Does that explain it all for you?

Terri: Ash, come on.

Ashley: I’m come to a decision. My dad is cut out of my life, for good.

Terri: Ash, come on.

Ashley: I have my mom, I have Jeff, I even have Toby. I don’t need him.

Terri: Ash, what you found out, of course you’re upset, but you don’t mean that.

Ashley: Don’t tell me what I mean, ok? You have no idea what I’m going through.

Terri: My mom d*ed, Ash. She’s never coming back. But you? You have your dad back.

Ashley: Terri, it’s not the same.

Terri: No, it’s the same. You wanna know why? Because you have a choice, I don’t. Don’t make the wrong one. (Terri walks away)

End