02x04 - Karma Chameleon

Episode transcripts for the TV show, "Degrassi Next Generation." Aired: October 2001 to July 2010.*
Watch/Buy Amazon  Merchandise

About the kids at Degrassi Community School. Centralizing around the children of the original characters from Degrassi High (1987). The show aims to deal with serious and sometimes taboo issues that plague teenagers.

02x04 - Karma Chameleon

Post by bunniefuu »

Degrassi

Hazel: It’s all about the tight satin shorts, if you ask me.

Jimmy: Ooh, tight satin shorts. We’re there. (He high fives Spinner)

Paige: Then pencil it in, boys. Retro roller skating party.

Ashley: Retro roller skating party? That sounds cool.

Paige: Funny how something is cool one year, and so totally uncool the next. Kinda like people.

Ashley: I get it Paige. You don’t have to invite me to your dumb party.

Paige: Oh, but I was hoping you could take dr*gs, act like a total freak, and destroy everything. Oh wait. You did that last year. (Paige and Hazel go inside and Spinner and Jimmy follow)

Ashley: I don’t get it. It was just one mistake. All right, one big mistake.

Terri: It’ll all blow over.

Ashley: Or it won’t. I want my friends back, Ter. And just standing by is not gonna make that happen.

Homeroom

Paige: Which do you like better, left profile or right?

Hazel: It’s not a fashion sh**t.

Paige: But it’s our photo day, and I want it to be just perfect. (She goes to sit down and she sees Ellie in the seat next to her) Elie, right?

Ellie: Uh huh.

Paige: Here’s the deal. Hazel and I, best friends. But, Hazel’s stuck on the other side of the room. You, however, are right here.

Ellie: And you want me to switch?

Paige: I knew you’d understand. (They wait for Ellie to move) Um, hon? Maybe you didn’t hear me.

Ellie: I did, loud and clear, thanks. (Paige and Hazel look at each other. Then Hazel goes to sit down. Paige sighs. Ashley comes over to talk to Paige)

Ashley: Hey Paige.

Paige: Okay, this is so not the time to talk to me.

Ashley: Just for a sec, please?

Paige: What?

Ashley: You and I have been friends since grade two. That’s like seven years, half our lives.

Paige: Is this an apology or a math lesson?

Ashley: An apology. What I called you…

Paige: I believe the word was hag.

Ashley: It was wrong. I was the real hag and I’m sorry. (Ellie listens to Ashley. Ashley goes to sit down)

Mr. Simpson: Morning folks. Photo day is coming and I’ve got the forms to prove it. (Ashley looks over at Paige, Paige looks at her too)

Hallway

Toby: (Sees an anime poster) Man, I can’t believe how many sites are devoted to anime.

JT: Not this again.

Toby: JT, anime is the biggest development in animation in years.

JT: And I really don’t care. And I think it’s for geeks.

Emma: Anime is actually very current.

Toby: See? She knows about anime. Who’s your favorite character? Ashuhara?

Emma: I said I know about it, I didn’t say I liked it.

JT: See?

Manny: Toby, girls aren’t into that stuff (Sees Craig) Hey Craig! (She and Emma go over to him)

JT: You see Toby? That’s what girls are into.

Toby: It’s sure not me. I may be the first Jewish monk. (He walks away)

Grade 9 Science Class

Ms. H: All right, so what molecule do you get when you have two atoms of hydrogen and two atoms of oxygen. (Spinner is looking at her legs) Uh, Gavin. Gavin? (He looks up at her)

Spinner: Uh, yeah. Sorry, Ms. Hatzilakos, I don’t know.

Ms. H: Hydrogen Peroxide. Or very blond hair if you’re not careful. (The bell rings) All right, remember the first twenty elements on the Periodic Table for next class.

Ashley gets up and goes over to Jimmy.

Ashley: Jimmy. (He goes to leave) Stop and listen, please? I’m really sorry for humiliating you, for being cruel, and what happened with Sean. (It shows Spinner is standing there, waiting for Jimmy) It was the dr*gs. It wasn’t me.

Jimmy: You make it sound like it was no big thing.

Ashley: It was. And I’ve been paying for it, Jimmy. I spent the summer in counselling. (He sits down) You okay?

Jimmy: Yeah, I just, I missed you, Ash. I missed you a lot.

Ashley: I missed you too. It hasn’t felt the same. Even my mom misses you.

Jimmy: Really?

Ashley: Toby too. His basketball game is totally hurting without your help.

Jimmy: Well maybe I could come over sometime. If Toby would want me to.

Ashley: You know what? I think he would.

Jimmy: Okay. (Ashley leaves. Spinner looks at Jimmy)

Media Immersion

Toby: Hey, Mr. Simpson, is that, uh, anime drawing CD-rom in yet?

Mr. Simpson: Uh, sorry, Tobs. I forgot you wanted it, and I lent it out to something else.

Toby: All right who’s got it?

Kendra: Me. (Toby looks at her. You can tell he likes her)

Mr. Simpson: Toby Isaacs, meet Kendra Mason, my biggest anime fanatics.

Kendra: Meet me at lunch tomorrow and I’ll hand this off. What do you say?

Toby: Great. I’ll see you at lunch then. Okay. (He starts to leave + hits the wall. Kendra laughs at him then he leaves)

Outside

Paige: Guys, this is classic Ashley. She’s sweet-talking her way through all of us.

Jimmy: Paige, come on.

Paige: Come on, what?

Jimmy: If I can forgive Ash, then so can you.

Paige: You still like her, don’t you?

Jimmy: We-we had a good talk, like old times.

Spinner: Yeah, totally like old times. Ash has been missing Jimmy, too.

Paige: Okay, am I the only sane one here?

Hazel: Or the only threatened one.

Paige: What did you just say?

Hazel: I said, maybe you should let it go. Ash made a mistake. She apologized.

Paige: You guys might be right. But, if you’re not, Ash better watch out. (She rolls her eyes)

Cafeteria

Ashley hands Sheila money for her lunch.

Sheila: Listen, Queen Bee, this isn’t a soup kitchen I’m running here.

Ashley: I know. I’ll bring the extra dollar tomorrow, I promise.

Sean: (He sees what’s going on) Hey, I got that. (Craig watches)

Sheila: (He gives her the money) Saved by the next in shining denim. (Gives her a milk) Next.

Ashley: Thanks for that.

Sean: Don’t worry about it.

Ashley: So, how long are we going to pretend like nothing happened? Haven’t we paid for it by now?

Sean: If you say so.

Ashley: I do. Friends, okay?

Sean: Yeah. (She walks away)

Craig: (He goes over to Sean) Are you ever going to tell me what happened between you two?

Sean: Party last year. We hooked up.

Craig: And she’s ignored you ever since. Well she’s not ignoring you now. (He walks away. A bell rings)

Grade 9 English Class

Ms. Kwan: Ok. Twelfth Night. Act five. Everything all wrapped in a Shakespearean hollywood ending. (She writes on the chalkboard. As she does, Ashley walks in. Paige moves her bag so Ashley can sit down) The only thing I dislike more than lateness, Ashley Kerwin, is people trying to get away with it. See me after class.

Ashley: Sorry, Ms. Kwan. (Ms. Kwan nods and goes back to writing)

Paige: Let’s, uh, hang a bell around Kwan’s neck, ‘cause she’s a total cow. (Hazel laughs. Paige looks at Ashley. Ashley smiles.)

Ashley’s house

She’s in her room trying on clothes for photo day as Terri sits in a chair putting on make up.

Ashley: Okay what about this? (She turns around in front of the mirror)

Terri: What about this massive zit on my face the day before photo day?

Ashley: They can photo shop that out. (Ashley picks up shirts and sees which one to wear) Nope. Nope.

Terri: Someone’s in a good mood.

Ashley: Someone’s had the best day in a long time. I should have apologized months ago. It’s all about knowing what you want and then going for it. (The phone rings) Hello?

Sean: (Shows him outside his house) Hey. It’s-it’s me.

Ashley: Hey you. (Lowers her music. Mouths to Terri “It’s Sean”)

Sean: Hey, uh, listen what are you doing this weekend?

Ashley: This weekend? Um, I don’t know. Why?

Sean: I don’t know, I was thinking maybe if you wanted we could catch a movie on Friday.

Ashley: Yeah, sure, sounds great.

Sean: Really? Yeah, okay, uh, I’ll see you tomorrow at school. (He hangs up)

Ashley: (She hangs up too) Okay, Sean Cameron just asked me out. Remind me, did last year even happen? This is incredible.

Terri: I guess.

Ashley: No, it’s perfect. It couldn’t be better if I wanted it to be.

Terri: But what about Jimmy? What will he do when he hears you’re dating Sean?

Ashley: I’m not dating anyone. And I’m not Jimmy’s girlfriend. (She gets up)

Terri: I know, but maybe you should just keep a low profile for a bit.

Ashley: Ter, one day when a guy likes you, you’ll understand how this works. (Realizes what she said) I didn’t mean it like that. (It shows Terri shocked at what Ashley said)
Degrassi – Boys Washroom.

Spinner: Isaacs.

Toby: Hey Spinner.

Spinner: Kendra Mason, do you know her? She’s short, dark hair, cartoon freak.

Toby: Uh, yeah. Why?

Spinner: Well, she seems to know you. She wouldn’t stop talking about you just now, actually.

Toby: Really? Cool.

Spinner: Not cool. See, her last name is Mason, my last name is Mason. Gee, what’s the connection?

Toby: You’re brother and sister? No, but she’s-she’s…

Spinner: Adopted, moron. And only in grade seven. So go near her, I turn your glasses into contacts. (He leaves)

Hallway

Paige is at her locker with Terri who’s putting on make-up. Ashley walks by.

Paige: Hey sex kitten. Hot outfit.

Ashley: Not looking bad either, Michalcuk. (She heads upstairs. After she leaves, Terri and Paige start walking. Terri rolls her eyes at Ashley)

Paige: Um, what was that?

Terri: What was what?

Paige: That little rolling trick you did with your eyes. That’s my move.

Terri: It’s nothing. We were talking about Ashley’s date with Sean on Friday, and Ash said something mean to me.

Paige: You’re kidding. A date, Ashley and Sean?

Terri: So? They’re just going to a movie.

Paige: So? Jimmy is still totally in love with her and she made him think there was some hope. I knew this would happen.

Terri: Paige, come on.

Paige: She doesn’t care what she did, she’s playing all of us.

Terri: She’s not.

Paige: You’re right. She’s not. Not anymore. I’m gonna make sure of that. (She walks away)

Science Class

They’re doing a lab.

Ms. H: All right, so now what we’re gonna do is we’re gonna take some dry ice and we’re gonna place it in water. (As she talks, Ashley and Jimmy look and smiled at each other as Paige watches). Ok, so this experiment illustrates the sublimation process. We have frozen carbon dioxide, or dry ice, and basically, (She places it in the water) it gets destroyed in the water.

Paige: Gee, that uh, kinda reminds me of two other elements. This (meaning the beaker) is Ashley Kerwin. (Picks up the ice) And this is Jimmy Brooks.

Jimmy: That’s, that’s really funny, Paige.

Paige: You know what I heard? Friday night, Ashley, a date. Not you. Gee, guess who?

Ms. H: Paige, Jimmy. The experiment, please. Observe and take notes, okay? (Paige puts the ice in the water)

Hallway

Toby: I finally meet the girl of my dreams. So cute. So into the same things as I am.

JT: And so related to Sasquatch. Just forget about her. Look there she is. Come on. (She waves at Toby) Toby, let’s go. Fine, but wipe the drool off your chin.

Kendra: Hi Toby. Watch Ashuhara last night?

Toby: Yeah. I love Ashuhara.

Kendra: Me too. So lunch today?

Toby: Yeah, lunch. (Spinner sees them talking)

JT: Uh, sorry to break this up. Big foot’s heading this way. (Toby sees Spinner) Let’s go. (They run away. Kendra watches them with a confused face)

Hallway

Sean is at his locker. Jimmy comes up to him and shuts his locker.

Jimmy: Sean Cameron.

Sean: Jimmy Brooks. Thought me and you were cool, man.

Jimmy: There is no me and you.

Sean: Fine by me. (Opens his locker. Jimmy shuts it again.)

Jimmy: One warning though. You stay away from my girl. (He pokes him as he said it)

Sean: What are you talking about?

Jimmy: Ash and I are a thing again.

Sean: Really?

Jimmy: Yeah, really.

Sean: Guess I’ll have to ask her that when I take her out on Friday. (They start fighting)

Craig: Hey! Hey! (He breaks it up) Take it easy. You all right?

Sean: Yeah, I’m fine. If Jimmy knows what’s good for him. (Jimmy walks away)

Media Immersion

Ashley: Hey Jimmy.

Jimmy: Don’t talk to me, you slut.

Ashley: What did you say?

Jimmy: That’s a word for girls who cheat on their boyfriends.

Ashley: You’re not my boyfriend.

Jimmy: Yeah, well, I was last year when you went and messed around with Sean and now you want to do it all over again? (He leaves the room. Shows close up of Ashley’s face. The bell rings)

Hallway

PA: Attention would Mrs. Chitlo’s grade seven homeroom and Ms. Kwan’s grade eight please head to the gym.

The gym

A kid is getting his picture taken.

Photographer: Perfect, thanks.

Liberty: So do you think this look works? I went for sharp yet casual.

Emma: You look great, Liberty. (She goes over to Toby, who’s looking at Kendra. Kendra sees and waves, but he doesn’t wave back. He looks away. Emma makes chicken sounds)

Toby: Shut up.

Emma: I’m trying to help you, Toby. You like her, she likes you.

Toby: Her brother likes to maim and k*ll.

JT: With his teeth.

Toby: Look, Spinner almost caught me talking to Kendra earlier.

Emma: And?

Toby: And I don’t wanna die. (Kendra tries to get his attention but he looks away)

Cafeteria

Paige and Hazel are sitting at a table. Ashley goes over to them.

Paige: If you worry about blinking Hazel, you’ll blink. Just trust the camera. (She sips her soda)

Ashley: (Now wearing a Degrassi sweatshirt) Guys, I’m so glad I found you. I think maybe I made a big mistake… (She goes to sit down, but Paige moves her bag to the chair)

Paige: There’s no room at this table.

Ashley: Oh. Um, I thought…

Paige: You thought wrong. (Ashley leaves) The key is to think about someone really hot like Brad Pitt. You’ll keep your eyes open and you’ll have a genuine smile on your face. (Terri comes to the table)

Terri: What was that all about?

Paige: Nothing.

Terri: Are you sure? Ash looked upset.

Paige: Hon, it’s simple, really. Four years of high school. Will you spend them cool with all of us? Or as a big outcast loser with one of her? You decide.

Hallway

Toby is walking when he bumps into someone.

Girl: Watch it! (He falls down. He sighs as he gets his stuff)

Kendra: (She comes over and gives him the CD) Take this. I’m down with it. Where were you at lunch?

Toby: Lunch? I had some work to do.

Kendra: Really? And what about the gym earlier? You ignored me then too. I don’t get it. What did I do wrong?

Toby: It’s just that you’re in grade seven and I’m in grade eight. (He sees Spinner watching them)

Kendra: And we can’t be friends? Why not? (She sees Spinner too when she turns around) You’re afraid of my brother.

Toby: No. That’s not it.

Kendra: Look me in the eye and tell me that’s not it. (He can’t do it) Coward. (She leaves)

Ashley at her locker.

Sean comes up to her.

Sean: Hey. (She turns around) Friday night, we can see whatever you want, you know? It’s up to you.

Ashley: Okay, great. Um, but I was wondering, would you totally hate me if I postponed?

Sean: You don’t want to go out with me, do you?

Ashley: I do, but…

Sean: But you’re seeing Jimmy again, right?

Ashley: This has nothing to do with Jimmy. (He looks over and sees Paige)

Sean: Does it have to do with Paige and… Yeah, whatever. (He walks away. Ashley slides to the floor)

Ellie: That went well.

Hallway

Toby sees Kendra and Spinner. He starts to leave but decides to go talk to her.

Toby: Spinner.

Spinner: What do you want?

Toby: I want to talk to your sister.

Spinner: Isaacs, move on. Now.

Toby: (He starts to leave but doesn’t) No.

Kendra and Spinner: No?

Toby: No.

Spinner: You are aware that I can rip out your bowel + eat it for breakfast?

Toby: Yeah, I’m willing to take that risk.

Spinner: As long as you know what happens if you break her heart, we’re cool. (He leaves)

Kendra: Best me around again and I’ll rip out your bowel myself, Isaacs. Want to go for ice cream?

Gym

Ashley is ahead of Hazel and Paige. They’re whispering to each other about her.

Paige: Nice sweatshirt. (They laugh. Ashley looks at them) So sad. (Terri comes in)

Ashley: Ter, over here. (She looks at her and at Paige. Paige and Hazel wave at her. She goes over to them. Paige puts her arm around Terri and look at Ashley)

Photographer: Miss? (Ashley sits in the chair) What a long face. A girl as pretty as you should never frown.

Ashley: Just take the picture.

Photographer: Not until you smile.

Ashley: Take the picture please. (He takes the picture. It ends showing a close up of Ashley’s face, as she realizes what she’s really done to her friends.)

End