2x10 - From Out Of The Rain

All episode transcripts for the TV show "Torchwood". Aired 22nd October, 2006 to 15th September, 2011.*
Watch/Buy Amazon  Merchandise

"Torchwood" follows the exploits of the members of the Cardiff-based, fictional Torchwood Institute, a secret organization founded by the British Crown, which deals mainly with incidents involving extraterrestrials.

2x10 - From Out Of The Rain

Post by bunniefuu »

JACK HARKNESS (v.o.) : Torchwood. Outside the Government, beyond the police. Fighting for the future on behalf of the human race. The 21st Century is when everything changes... and Torchwood is ready.

EXT. GRASSY AREA – DEAD OF NIGHT

It's night. On a dirt path on the outskirts of town, couples venture toward the lights and organ music as they gather in front the entrance to the traveling circus.

GHOSTMAKER (o.s.) : Ladies and gentlemen, girls and boys, have we got a show for you tonight !

We follow a man and a woman toward the entrance where the Ring Leader, dressed in a top hat and coat, beckons the visitors inside.

GHOSTMAKER : A once-in-a-lifetime show !

Inside the entrance, visitors watch various acts, two performers juggling fire-lit pins and several people dressed as clowns.

GHOSTMAKER (o.s.) : Amaze your ears, astonish your eyes, then run along home and tell your friends and neighbors.

There are a couple of strong men.

GHOSTMAKER (o.s.) : A once-in-a-lifetime show, never to be forgotten for the rest of your lives.

As a couple enters through the wooden entrance, a woman and her little girl remain on the outside.

GHOSTMAKER : So, why not step inside ?

The Ghostmaker offers the little girl a ticket. The little girl looks at her mum. She looks at the ticket.

GHOSTMAKER : We're waiting for you.

The little girl reaches for the ticket, snatches it from him and runs in through the entrance. A bright light and a scream come from behind the woman. She turns and looks behind her. The lights of the traveling circus vanish completely, casting the field into darkness. When the young mum turns back to look, the circus is gone. There's nothing but fog, grass and silence.

EXT. CARDIFF CITY (STOCK) – NIGHT

CLOSE-UP : FILM EDITING MACHINERY

Film passes through the reels. Images appear on the monitor. It's classic black and white footage of times past.

INT. JONATHAN'S FLAT – NIGHT

Jonathan sits alone in his studio editing the film. He works quietly. He flashes a smile as he watches the film, clearly enjoying what he's doing.

INTERCUT WITH :

INT. THE HUB – NIGHT

Jack is in the coffee area making himself a cup of something to drink. He carries his cup and heads over to the workstations. He glances up as the pterodactyl screeches above him.

CLOSE-UP :

The film reel as it runs on the editing machine. Jonathan continues to watch and edit the film.

JONATHAN : Great !

ON MONITOR :

The Ghostmaker stands on a platform, looks out and beckons. He motions with his hand, come. In the background, we hear circus music. Jonathan is puzzled.

JONATHAN : What is that ?

The Ghostmaker is still on the film. Still beckoning.

INT. THE HUB – WORKSTATIONS – NIGHT

Jack is at the workstations when he hears faint circus music and ghostly whisperings. He looks up.

The Ghostmaker is still on the film, looking out and beckoning, motioning with his hand, come. Jonathan pauses the machine. He marks the film for splicing.

JONATHAN : I dunno where you came from, mate, but I know where you're going.

He starts to cut the film when the small window on the other side of the room whips open by the strong winds and rain outside. Jonathan runs over to close the window before any of his film is damaged. The splicing machine on his table falls to the floor. The film on the editing machine magically winds back up onto the reel. Jonathan shuts the window. The film reel magically winds up, playing backward. Jonathan removes and wipes his glasses. He turns and hurries back to his seat. He looks at the monitor. The film is running, but superimposed on all the images is the Ghostmaker as he looks out and beckons. Jonathan watches as the film reaches the end and flickers as it continues to spin off the reel. On the monitor, the Ghostmaker continues to look out and beckon. Come. Lightning flashes, thunder crashes. Jonathan swallows hard.

CUT TO :

EXT. CARDIFF CITY (STOCK) – NIGHT

INT. THE HUB – NIGHT

Toshiko steps off the spiral stairs with the binder she's carrying. She heads for her workstation and opens it. She puts her glasses on to work.

JACK (o.s.) : Tosh ?

She looks up.

TOSHIKO : Hmm ?

Jack walks over to her.

JACK : I heard this sound. An old sound, like a pipe organ.

TOSHIKO : A what ?

JACK (looks around) : Did you hear anything ?

TOSHIKO : No.

She goes back to work.

JACK : Is there a circus in town, or a traveling fair, something like that ?

TOSHIKO : On a night like this ? They'd be wasting their time.

JACK : Where's Ianto ? He would know.

TOSHIKO : He's gone to the cinema with Gwen and Owen... some kind of opening night he wanted to check out. The building's got a record of rift activity, but it's been quiet for years so...

She looks up and Jack is gone.

CUT TO :

EXT. STREET – NIGHT

It is raining so hard that we can hardly see the three people walking down the middle of the street. It's Owen, Gwen and Ianto.

OWEN : A nice trip to the cinema, you said.

IANTO: Yeah, that's right.

They've only got their jackets on and no umbrellas. They're drenched.

OWEN : Ianto, nothing down here, mate.

GWEN : Oh, come on, Owen.

IANTO : It's more than just a cinema.

Ianto stops and looks up.

IANTO : It's the Electro !

GWEN : Oh, wow !

They head for the cinema, lights bright, warm and beckoning. Its doors wide open. They hurry inside.

INT. THE ELECTRO – LOBBY – NIGHT

The small lobby is buzzing with people. The manager, Dave Penn, rushes down the steps from the second floor projector room and he stops at the ticket booth to talk with his wife, Faith.

DAVE PENN : Where's that stupid bloody son of ours ?

INT. WAREHOUSE – NIGHT

Jonathan exits his flat at the end of the warehouse. He slams the door closed and runs. He's carrying the film canister. He heads across the warehouse floor toward the stairs at the end. He runs down, across the room and heads out the far door. He's late.

FAITH PENN : He said he'd be here on time.

DAVE PENN : He'd better be. He's got the film. (He looks around nervously). Now what good is a cinema without a film ?

The front door closes. Dave Penn looks up and greets his guests.

DAVE PENN : Good evening, gentlemen. Evening, madam.

Ianto, Gwen and Owen enter the lobby.

OWEN : Hello.

DAVE PENN : Welcome to the Electro.

EXT. OUTSIDE WAREHOUSE – NIGHT

Jonathan runs down the warehouse stairs, out in the pouring rain. He wraps his jacket around himself and the film canister. Thunder rumbles. Jonathan reaches the bottom of the stairs, jumps off and runs as fast as he can.

EXT. STREET – NIGHT

An SUV turns the corner, tires screeching. The SUV zooms out of frame.

Ianto, Gwen and Owen look around. Ianto stops in front of an old film projector out on display in the lobby.

IANTO : I love this place. I used to come here with my dad. They showed kids' films on Saturday morning.

GWEN (chuckles) : Mm-hmm. So where's the popcorn and the ice cream ?

OWEN : I think you've missed out. It's educational.

Owen heads inside.

GWEN : Okay.

After a b*at, Gwen pats Ianto on the arm and follows Owen inside.

GWEN : Come on.

Ianto turns and follows them in. The front door slams shut as Jonathan hurries inside with the film canister. His father is waiting.

DAVE : What sort of time do you call this ?

JONATHAN : Sorry, Dad.

DAVE (irritated) : People are waiting !

JONATHAN : You're not going to believe this, right ? When I was splicing the film...

DAVE : Look, just get up to that projection room, will you ? Now !

Jonathan runs past his father. Dave sighs and heads inside.

INT. THE ELECTRO – PROJECTION ROOM – CONTINUOUS

Jonathan enters and struggles out of his jacket. He opens the film canister. Muffled organ music sounds. Jonathan stops and looks around. He definitely heard that. But no time, he's got to get the film ready. He puts the film in the projector.

INT. THE ELECTRO – THEATRE – NIGHT

Dave and Faith Penn are standing up on the stage in front of the closed red curtain. Off to one side of the stage is a pianist.

DAVE PENN : As proud owners of the Electro museum, it is our privilege to be able to show you how the cinema and Hope Street looked in days gone by.

STAGE POV :

There's only a handful of people in the theatre seats including Owen, Gwen and Ianto.

DAVE : And if you watch carefully, who knows ? You may even see long-dead members of your family waiting in the cinema queue.

Gwen giggles.

DAVE : Bernard !

The lights dim. Bernard starts playing the piano accompaniment. Dave and Faith step off to the side as the curtain opens.

Jonathan starts the projector.

The old black and white film starts. It shows various footage of the city as it was in the old days. Dave and Faith take their seats in the theatre as they watch the film. Owen glances at Gwen. She looks at him and smiles.

Jonathan is up in the projection room watching the film.

After the city footage is some circus footage, a clown juggling some hats, and various other circus acts.

OWEN : Do you recognize any of your long-lost relatives, Gwen ?

Gwen stifles her laughter. On the screen is a woman in a black bathing suit with a hoola-hoop.

OWEN : There's Aunty Peggy. She's been on the gin again.

Gwen laughs.

IANTO : Can you be quiet ?

Gwen continues laughing. On the screen is a strong man lifting a barbell.

DAVE (irritated) : He's showing the wrong bloody film !

He gets up and rushes out of the theatre. On the screen are two men in turbans standing side-by-side and juggling fire-lit pins.

GWEN : Where's Hope Street gone ?

On the screen is the circus group waving to the camera. Ianto continues to watch the film with interest. There's a woman standing in front of a t*nk of water. The Ghostmaker appears on the screen, standing on a platform, looking out and beckoning with a motion of his hand.

INT. THE ELECTRO – PROJECTION ROOM – NIGHT

Jonathan freaks.

JONATHAN : Oh, sh*t !

Jonathan immediately turns to stop the projector. It won't stop. The film continues.

INT. THE ELECTRO – STAIRS TO PROJECTION ROOM – NIGHT

Dave hurries up the stairs.

The circus footage continues to play up on the screen. There's a clown in a checkered suit juggling hats. The woman with the hoola-hoop is up on screen. The footage continues to scroll through the same acts. Faith turns and looks back at the projection room. What's going on ?

INT. THE ELECTRO – PROJECTION ROOM – NIGHT

Jonathan is fiddling with the projector, trying to stop it. The door opens and Dave bursts in.

DAVE : Where the hell did that film come from ?

JONATHAN : I've no idea. I swear I didn't edit those film clips.

DAVE : Don't be so stupid.

JONATHAN : It's true.

DAVE : Look, just bloody well change it, will you !

JONATHAN : I can't. The machine won't switch off.

DAVE : Oh, get out of the way.

Jonathan steps aside as Dave fiddles with the projector. Jonathan is freaked.

JONATHAN : This is crazy !

DAVE : Ohh !

Meanwhile, the film continues to scroll through the same circus acts.

GWEN : It's the same pictures over and over again.

OWEN : Yeah.

The Ghostmaker appears on the screen.

OWEN (sighs) : Right. Come on, let's go.

Bored, Owen moves to get up. Ianto continues to watch the film. There is new footage of a high-wire walker, then of Jack holding a g*n to his temple and then, below his chin.

IANTO : Wait !

Gwen looks at Ianto.

IANTO (points) : I just saw Jack.

GWEN : Where ?

IANTO : In the film.

Owen and Gwen sit back down and watch the film. There are the jugglers, the clowns, a strong man, but no Jack.

OWEN : What are you talking about ?

GWEN : What ?

IANTO : I swear I saw him !

Owen sits back to watch the film. Gwen looks at Ianto.

GWEN (sing-song) : Ianto...

IANTO : Wait. Just wait.

More of the same circus footage plays, the circus troop waving to the camera, the woman in front of a t*nk of water. Gwen taps her fingers on the back of the chair. The Ghostmaker appears on the screen, beckoning them to come... The film finally sputters and fades out. The pianist stops playing. The audience murmurs. Gwen and Owen are ready to leave.

OWEN : Let's go.

GWEN : Yes, come on.

Owen and Gwen stand up to leave. The rest of the audience also gets up to leave.

GWEN (to Ianto) : Are you coming ?

Ianto gets up slowly. He continues to look at the screen. What just happened ? Did he really see Jack ? Two large, dark shadows on the wall swoosh out past Ianto. He turns and sees them leave. He stops and turns around, looking. Now, he knows something strange is going on.

CUT TO :

Toshiko is working at her computers when they suddenly static and stall. After a b*at, the computers resume.

EXT. THE ELECTRO – NIGHT

It's pouring. The front door opens. A man and a woman leave. Torchwood's black SUV is parked outside. Jack gets out of the car and heads inside. He leaves the car running and the wipers on.

IANTO (PRE-LAP, v.o.) : When the film stopped, these...

Ianto stares at the screen as he recounts what happened to Jack.

IANTO : ...shadows went past me.

JACK : What kind of shadows ?

IANTO : Don't know. Wasn't clear. Something else. You were up there on the screen. Large as life.

JACK : What was I doing ?

IANTO : You were on some sort of stage... outside a big tent. You seemed to be part of a traveling show.

Jack chuckles wryly.

JACK : I heard it. Heard its music. Just a snatch of it.

IANTO : That film was beautiful. All those acts performing for us, part of history, trapped on film forever.

JACK : Their days were numbered. Cinema may have saved their images, but it finished off the traveling shows. (Breathy chuckle). k*lled them.

Jack turns and heads out, leaving Ianto standing there and looking at the screen. Ianto looks so sad.

CUT TO :

EXT. BUS STOP – NIGHT

It's pouring. Nettie Williams takes cover at a covered bus stop. She's on her cell phone.

NETTIE WILLIAMS (to phone) : I'm at the bus stop, Mum.

Two figures, a man and a woman, stand out in the rain and across the street. They watch her.

NETTIE (to phone) : By Hope Street.

The man and the woman head toward the covered bus stop. The man walks confidently while the woman pads lightly on her slippered feet next to him. She pauses in the middle of the street to scoop up some water pooled in the road.

NETTIE (to phone) : No. Gemma's brother couldn't bring me home. His car don't work.

The man continues toward the bus stop. The woman is still crouched in the street scooping up the water. She stands up and follows.

NETTIE (to phone) : Well, what about Dad ? Can't you wake him ? Mum ?

As the two figures get closer, we see they're the Ghostmaker and the woman from the film. Nettie turns her phone off. The Ghostmaker walks up to Nettie and offers her a pink ticket.

GHOSTMAKER : Would you like a ticket for the traveling show, my dear ?

NETTIE (scoffs) : No, thanks.

GHOSTMAKER : Every young person's dream.

Pearl walks up to her.

PEARL : Perhaps she'd like to join the show instead.

She runs her hand down Nettie's damp hair. Nettie looks at the ticket, then looks at Pearl. Pearl licks the damp off her fingers.

GHOSTMAKER : Why not ? You could travel with us. Forever.

NETTIE : Look, just go away, will you ? Did you hear what I said ?

The Ghostmaker touches Nettie's lips with his gloved fingertips and she gasps, struggling for breath. Pearl smiles with glee. The Ghostmaker quickly reaches into his jacket and takes out a silver flask. He holds it next to Nettie's open mouth. A wisp of white breath escapes out of Nettie's mouth. The Ghostmaker is quick. He captures it into the silver flask and covers it, sealing it inside. Pearl rubs her hands together and giggles. She smiles at the Ghostmaker. He turns and they share a knowing look.

CUT TO :

EXT. ELECTRO – NIGHT

JACK (v.o.) : So you say the projector went haywire ?

INT. ELECTRO – PROJECTION ROOM – NIGHT

Jack and Ianto talk with Jonathan.

JONATHAN : Yeah, even with the main switched off, it still kept running, playing those film clips. It's like it had a mind of its own.

Ianto turns the projector on. The film runs. He turns the projector off. The film stops. He looks at Jonathan.

IANTO : Working now.

JONATHAN : I know.

JACK : So, where did you get these ?

With his foot, Jack nudges the canisters stacked up on the floor.

JONATHAN : From the basement here. There were stacks of cans. See, I've been compiling old footage of Hope Street and the Electro for the opening night, but the circus clips weren't on it. I swear.

JACK : So, the film that was shown wasn't meant to be here ?

JONATHAN : No, and that's what's so scary. I mean, it kind of played itself. It's like it wanted to be seen.

JACK : Like something tried to get through ?

JONATHAN : Yeah. And there was a sound, like... uh... old-fashioned music ? Played on an organ or something. (Jack looks at Ianto). And there was a face looking out at me. And there was a smell, like... uh... like bromine. Or iodine.

IANTO : Like film itself.

JONATHAN (nods) : That's right.

Jack turns and indicates the film currently in the projector.

JACK : And this is the film ?

JONATHAN : Yeah.

Ianto opens the projector to remove the film. Jack's comm beeps.

TOSHIKO (filtered) : Jack, the systems here are behaving very oddly.

INTERCUT WITH :

TOSHIKO : And I heard the sound you mentioned. (Filtered). That fairground sound ?

JACK : Can you trace the source ?

TOSHIKO : No. But there was a peak in rift activity at the Electro. Then nothing. Plus I'm recording unusual rift traces nearby.

JACK (shakes his head) : Where ?

TOSHIKO : Chain Lane. Runs parallel to Hope Street. Sending the co-ordinates now.

CUT TO :

EXT. CARDIFF ROADWAYS (STOCK)

Sirens wail in the distance.

EXT. CHAIN LANE – NIGHT

The Torchwood SUV zooms across the frame.

JACK (filtered) : Tosh, we're on our way. Tell the police we're dealing with it.

CLOSE-UP :

NETTIE'S MOUTH.

Dehydrated with dry, crinkled skin around her mouth area. Nettie's eyes are open and she stares out blankly in front of her. PULL BACK to show Nettie is sitting at the bus stop.

EXT. BUS STOP ON CHAIN LANE – NIGHT

The Torchwood SUV pulls up and stops. Jack, Ianto, Owen and Gwen get out of the SUV. They run toward the bus stop. Owen checks Nettie.

JACK : Epileptic maybe ? Could be wearing a tag.

OWEN : She isn't.

IANTO : She got ID ?

GWEN : Uh, I'll check.

Gwen reaches into Nettie's jacket pocket to look for an ID.

JACK : What's wrong ?

OWEN : She's got a heartbeat, but she isn't breathing. Shouldn't really be alive. And look at her mouth. She's got no saliva. Look, her lips are cracked. Dry as a bone. We need to get her to hospital.

Jack stands up.

CUT TO :

EXT. THE WINDSOR CAFE – NIGHT

A small coffee shop closing for the night. The lone employee is inside closing up. The Ghostmaker and Pearl step into camera frame and stop. They look at each other for a moment. They head for the cafe. Thunder rumbles in the distance.

INT. THE WINDSOR CAFE – NIGHT – CONTINUOUS

The Restaurant Owner is wiping the tables. She looks up and sees Pearl standing just outside the glass, staring at her. The Restaurant Owner continues fixing the table when someone bangs up against the front door. She walks over. The Ghostmaker is looking in through the front door glass. The Restaurant Owner opens the door.

RESTAURANT OWNER : Sorry. We're closed. (He stares at her. Pearl walks over to them). Do you hear me ? We're closed.

Pearl looks at her over the Ghostmaker's shoulder.

PEARL : Make her cry.

RESTAURANT OWNER : You what ?

PEARL: I want to drink her tears.

The Ghostmaker reaches out and touches the Restaurant Owner's mouth. The Restaurant Owner gasps for breath.

CUT TO :

EXT. HOSPITAL (STOCK) – NIGHT

Sirens wail.

INT. HOSPITAL – NETTIE'S ROOM – NIGHT

Owen's bandaged hand is on Nettie's over her bedcover. He releases her hand as he talks with Jack. The heart monitor next to the bed beeps steadily. Nettie's eyes are wide open and there's no response from her.

OWEN : Her name's Nettie Williams. Her parents are outside. Apparently, she was visiting a friend.

JACK : Have any witnesses come forward ?

OWEN : No.

JACK : Has anyone been able to communicate with her ?

OWEN : No. No change in her condition.

JACK : Motor response ?

OWEN : Non-existent. They're treating it as a coma.

JACK : And they're wrong ?

OWEN : Totally. There's no signs of cerebral dysfunctions, no symptoms of hypoxia, and her body's dehydrated. You know when a spider sucks the liquid out of its victims ? Well, this is a bit like that, except they've left her partly alive. She couldn't cry about it even if she wanted to, poor kid. She's got no tears.

The door bursts open. Ianto enters in front of another bed being rolled into the room.

IANTO : There's been another one.

The Restaurant Owner is on the bed. Owen helps them roll the bed into the room.

JACK : Who's she ?

YOUNG NURSE : We don't know. The paramedics found her. It freaked them. (Owen looks at her). She was lying in an open doorway. Looking like this.

OWEN : Where was this ?

YOUNG NURSE : The corner of Hope Street.

Jack puts his hand over the Restaurant Owner's chest and he puts his face close to her nose and mouth as he looks for breath.

JACK : The same. Heartbeat but no breath.

Owen looks at her mouth.

OWEN : Her mouth's been drained of moisture.

TIME CUT TO :

INT. HOSPITAL – HALLWAY – CONTINUOUS

Jack, Owen, Gwen and Ianto walk through the hallway.

OWEN : This makes no sense, they're almost dehydrated and possibly brain-dead, and yet, somehow they're still with us.

JACK : So, some part of them has been taken elsewhere ?

OWEN : Well, that's impossible.

They turn the corner and come out into another hallway. They continue talking.

JACK : For the body to be alive, there must be a life force somewhere. Yet they've separated it, and stolen it.

IANTO : Who has the power to do that ?

JACK : I don't know. But we need to find out fast. Two people chosen at random. Who's next ?

GWEN : Whatever's doing it has the whole city to choose from.

JACK : Or the world.

They walk out.

CUT TO :

EXT. CARDIFF CITY LIGHTS (STOCK) – NIGHT

Aerial view of the city lights.

EXT. MILLENNIUM CENTRE (STOCK) – NIGHT

Aerial view of the centre above Torchwood.

INT. THE HUB – JACK'S OFFICE – NIGHT

The film projector is on Jack's desk. Everyone sits nearby watching the silent film on various circus acts, first the strong man lifting weights. Next are the two men in turbans juggling fire-lit pins. Then there are two clowns.

JACK : I knew those two. (Ianto looks at him. Jack chuckles as he watches the film). They argued day and night.

Toshiko stares at him. She turns to watch the film. On the screen is the high-wire act. Then, the man who looks like Jack with a g*n pointed at his own temple.

OWEN : That is you.

Toshiko rewinds the film on "Jack".

OWEN : All right, now I've seen everything !

IANTO : I told you so.

GWEN : You did stand-up ?

JACK : I never did stand-up.

GWEN : Okay, then. (Southern twang). A song and dance.

JACK : I was sensational !

TOSHIKO : I don't believe this, Jack. What were you doing there ?

OWEN : He was part of the freak show.

JACK : Ah, some things never change.

OWEN : Are you being rude about me ? Look at the state of them.

GWEN : I do love his leotard.

Owen laughs. The image of the circus group waving to the camera appears on the screen.

JACK : The Night travelers.

TOSHIKO : The what ?

JACK : Tosh, play that back.

Toshiko rewinds the film.

JACK : So, they did exist.

TOSHIKO : Did you work with these people ?

JACK (shakes his head) : I didn't work with them, I never knew anyone who did. They only performed in the dead of night. Anyway, it was just a tale that was around at that time... a ghost story. "They came from out of the rain." That's how people described them.

Jack heads out of the office. With a glance at each other, Owen and Gwen quickly get up and follow him out.

INT. THE HUB – WORKSTATIONS – CONTINUOUS

OWEN : Jack, what did these Night travelers do ?

JACK: Left a trail of damage and sorrow wherever they performed.

INT. THE HUB – JACK'S OFFICE – CONTINUOUS

Ianto and Toshiko continue to watch the film in Jack's office.

IANTO : Tosh, can you run this frame by frame ?

TOSHIKO : Er, sure. What are you looking for ?

IANTO : I'm not sure. But something's wrong. Something's missing.

Gwen and Owen pick up some files.

GWEN : This must be years back, now, yeah ?

JACK : Eighty odd years. Then the traveling shows faded away. No one came to watch them and without an audience they d*ed out... forgotten. Until all we have to remember them by were these film clips.

IANTO (o.s.) : Jack !

They head back to the office.

INT. THE HUB – JACK'S OFFICE – CONTINUOUS

IANTO : This film. It's not the same one we saw at the cinema.

GWEN : Course it's the same one.

IANTO : No, things are different. Tosh...

Toshiko starts the film up again. The same images appear on the screen.

IANTO : Easy to miss at first, but after watching it a few times I realized. (Points). Just there. There was a woman in front of that water t*nk.

GWEN : Yeah there was, Ianto, you're right.

Owen nods.

OWEN : That's right, I remember her. Wearing almost nothing.

The next image should be of the Ghostmaker, but he's gone, too. There's nothing but the empty platform.

GWEN : And there was a man in like a top hat, a sort of MC.

IANTO : Yeah.

OWEN : That's right. He was reaching down to the audience.

GWEN : Are you sure you brought the right can of film back ?

Jack is in front of the screen.

JACK : Positive.

TOSHIKO : So what are we saying ? That two people from a piece of film have decided to go awol ?

JACK (nods) : Yeah. Like you said... trapped in film forever. (Ianto nods). When they opened the cinema, it gave them a chance. When that kid ran the film, he let them loose.

IANTO : So they've become physical ? They've escaped the film ?

JACK : We need to find out more about the havoc they caused in the past. We need evidence. Possible witnesses.

OWEN : Well, after all that time it'll be tricky. What... um... town and parish records ?

GWEN : Sure, we can do that. How far back do you want us to go ?

JACK : As far back as you can. We don't sleep till we find them. Toshiko, keep checking for sightings. There's got to be a way of tracing them. Ianto, with me, I need your local knowledge.

Jack heads out. The others follow.

GWEN : Oh, is that what you're calling it these days ?

Toshiko stops the film.

CUT TO :

INT. THE HUB – CONFERENCE ROOM – NIGHT

Jack is sitting at the conference table pulling up various images on the wall monitor when Ianto walks in and sits in the seat next to him.

IANTO : So, two people who should have been dead for years. What kind of creatures are they ?JACK : No one ever knew the night travelers were coming. They'd just appear from nowhere. Not like the team I was with... we'd send out flyers, bang drums, blow whistles. Ours was a small company. Working the UK. Trying to find paying customers. I was sent to investigate rumors of the Night travelers.

IANTO : By who ?

JACK : Long story. So I joined a traveling show. I was billed as "The Man Who Couldn't Die".

IANTO : Ah.

JACK : The Night travelers always found an audience.

CUE : (PRE-LAP)

Circus music in b.g.

JACK : They knew where to look.

EXT. WOODS – DEAD OF NIGHT (THE PAST)

The Night Travelers have set up their circus on a grassy area in the woods. The place is busy with visitors. In the center is the Ghostmaker standing on a small platform and calling out attractions to the various acts.

GHOSTMAKER : Step along now, ladies and gentlemen, come and see the show of a lifetime ! Fill your eyes with the spectacle of the tattooed man !

We move in through the crowds to the various acts, the two men in turbans juggling fire-lit pins, a tattooed man, the Mighty Stromboli lifting weights and the Amazing Pearl standing in front of her water t*nk. We move past the jugglers and past two clowns as we continue circling around the various acts.

GHOSTMAKER : Witness for yourself the superhuman strength of the Mighty Stromboli ! He can take on Samson, Goliath and Hercules with one arm tied behind his back, and still have strength to dig their graves.

We end back at the MC on the platform with the wooden sign, "The Joshua Joy Traveling Show".

GHOSTMAKER : Come along now, ladies and gentlemen, the night won't wait forever. Come and see the amazing Pearl !

He indicates Pearl in front of her water t*nk. His voice softens as he introduces her.

GHOSTMAKER : She lives in water. She sleeps among the waves. She can reach the bottom of the oceans. She has swum the seven seas. She is the nearest thing that you will ever see to a living mermaid. She will take your breath away.

CUT TO :

Jack looks at printouts of the various cinemas in Cardiff.

JACK : How many other old cinemas are there in Cardiff ?

IANTO : Most of them have been pulled down.

Ianto shows the Palisades Cinema is pulled up on the map.

JACK : And the ones that are left ?

IANTO : Converted.

Ianto indicates the Plaza Picture House on the monitor map.

IANTO : This one is a pub. Four-pint jugs for a fiver and girls in free before 11.

Toshiko finds something on the computers.

TOSHIKO : I'm registering the sea !

Gwen and Owen join her as she continues to drill down the sighting.

TOSHIKO : The sea ? Inland ? Running through the centre of town ?

CUT TO :

EXT. STREET – NIGHT

A mini-van, license #LR05 ZHG, travels along the road.

INT. SUV (TRAVELING) – NIGHT

Suddenly, it comes to a screeching stop. The driver is forced to brake for the Ghostmaker and Pearl standing in the middle of the road. Pearl has a beach ball tucked under her left arm. The mini-van stops. When we look at the road, no one's there. The Young Mum looks at her husband. The two children, a girl and a boy, are in the back seats.

YOUNG MUM : What is it ?

YOUNG DAD : I thought... I thought I saw something.

YOUNG MUM : Saw what ?

YOUNG DAD : Ghosts.

She looks at the empty road. There's no one there.

YOUNG MUM : Don't be stupid.

The Young Dad looks at her and gasps. She turns and finds the Ghostmaker peering in and pressed up against the glass. She screams.

CUT TO :

Images of various cinemas with closed signs are up on the monitor. Jack and Ianto continue to talk.

IANTO : So the Electro is the only one left.

JACK : Could the Night travelers have performed there ?

IANTO : Possibly.

JACK : If cinema k*lled the traveling show, maybe this is their way of fighting back. Their only chance to escape before every old movie theatre and piece of film has gone. (Sighs) What better way to get revenge ?

IANTO : They were left forgotten, on pieces of film.

JACK : And now they're looking for a new audience.

Jack and Ianto return to the workstations to find Owen and Gwen with Toshiko.

JACK : What is it, Tosh ?

GWEN : She was picking up the sea.

OWEN : In the middle of town.

TOSHIKO : It's gone now.

Her computer is retrieving data.

TOSHIKO : I was getting the sound of waves. Seagulls.

Her computer fails at 72%.

TOSHIKO : I could almost smell the ozone.

JACK : No other sightings ?

TOSHIKO : No.

JACK : What the hell are they up to ?

CUT TO :

EXT. ABANDONED POOL – NIGHT

Pearl kneels in front of a small pool of water, probably left over from the recent rains. The Ghostmaker sits on the side watching her. The entire pool is lit by candles. Pearl gets up and heads back toward the Ghostmaker.

PEARL : I like the lights. They make the rain glisten. And they're part of us.

The Ghostmaker exhales. Ghostly wails sound. He pulls out the silver flask from his jacket pocket and holds it up to his ear to listen. He chuckles. He looks at her as she sits next to him.

PEARL : Smell the water.

He runs his nose along the length of her arm.

PEARL : Taste it.

He licks the palm of her hand. She reaches for the flask. He pulls it out of her reach.

GHOSTMAKER : Careful.

PEARL : How many now ?

GHOSTMAKER : Six.

PEARL : I wish I could see the air they once breathed.

GHOSTMAKER : You know you can never see it. We could never see it.

PEARL : We have their ghosts here. (Childishly). I can see them whenever I want. Our audience. They'll never leave us.

GHOSTMAKER : We can't see. But we can hear. Listen.

He holds the flask to her ear. She hears them and laughs.

PEARL : I can !

GHOSTMAKER : Mm-hmm.

PEARL : I can hear them. Little last breaths, still sighing their sighs. Can we bring the others ? Make ghosts forever ? (He thinks about it). The others shouldn't be in some old dark cupboard. They should be here with us. And I want to travel again, perform.

GHOSTMAKER : All right. But first we need the rest of that film.

FADE TO :

INT. HOSPITAL – HALLWAY / ROOM – NIGHT

The Senior Nurse leads Jack and Ianto through the hallway toward the room.

SENIOR NURSE : Found in a car with their parents, near Hope Street.

In the room are the two children hooked up to heart monitors. The younger nurse is there in the room, too.

JACK: Oh, no.

Jack sighs.

JACK : What happened to the parents ?

YOUNG NURSE : They're in the same cataleptic state.

The Senior Nurse goes to check on the little girl.

JACK (softly to Ianto) : They came from out of the rain.

SENIOR NURSE (startled) : What did you say ?

JACK : Nothing. Why ?

SENIOR NURSE : Those words, "From out of the rain." I'm sure I've heard them before. (Thinks about it). Oh, I remember, it was Christina. She was a patient.

JACK : Here ?

SENIOR NURSE : No, at Providence Park; it's a psychiatric hospital.

IANTO : I know it.

SENIOR NURSE : I used to work there. She was a full-time patient, been there since she was a child. She was a strange one. Whenever anything, any kind of entertainment show was laid on, she became scared. She'd run away and hide.

JACK : Did she say why ?

SENIOR NURSE : Yes. She said they were coming to steal her last breath. (Jack and Ianto share a look). Poor love.

The nurse leaves the room. Jack and Ianto look at each other.

JACK : I think we've just found ourselves our first witness.

CUT TO :

EXT. PROVIDENCE PARK PSYCHIATRIC HOSPITAL – GROUNDS – DAY

Jack and Ianto talk with Christina. Ianto pushes her in her wheelchair as they head toward the covered seats.

CHRISTINA : They came from out of the rain. At night. Came to the village.

IANTO : How old were you at the time ?

CHRISTINA : Oh, just a child. Five, I think, or six. Are you visiting someone ?

JACK : Christina, we've come to see you.

CHRISTINA : No one comes to see me. (Jack sits down and smiles at her. He touches her hand and his smile fades. Ianto sits next to him). Your eyes are older than your face.

JACK : Is that a bad thing ?

CHRISTINA : Yes. It means you don't belong. It means you're from nowhere.

JACK : Christina, tell us about them. The people who came out of the rain.

CHRISTINA : There was music... hurdy-gurdy music, acrobats, and a man with fire in his hands.

IANTO : Who else was there ?

CHRISTINA : A man in dark clothes, and a woman. A beautiful young woman in a silvery costume. She seemed to glisten.

CUT TO :

EXT. ABANDONED POOL AREA – DAY

Pearl is kneeling in front of a tray of water, the only remnants left of the rain. She scoops it with her hands and drinks it. She splashes the water on her face. She stands up and walks up the stairs, out of the pool, and over to the deteriorating stalls. The wooden door leading to the showers creaks as she pushes it open.

INT. ABANDONED POOL - SHOWERS – CONTINUOUS

She peers in and sees the six "ghosts" of their latest victims standing in the stall, all facing in one direction and not moving. She withdraws, the door creaking as it closes.

CUT TO :

EXT. PROVIDENCE PARK PSYCHIATRIC HOSPITAL – GROUNDS – DAY

CHRISTINA (to Ianto) : They touched you, I can sense it. They touched you as they passed you by. IANTO : Tell us about the man, Christina.

CHRISTINA : Oh. Uh, he spoke to me. He asked if I would like to join the traveling show. He took a kind of flask out of his pocket. It was polished like silver. I asked him his name. (Shudders) Oh, I shall never forget it. I never shall. He said he was the Ghostmaker. He wanted to... take my breath and put it in his flask. He said I could travel with his circus, I would be in his audience forever. I turned and ran away as fast as I could. People went missing from the village that night. My mother, my father...

Ianto reaches out and holds her hand.

CUT TO :

INT. THE HUB – CONFERENCE ROOM – DAY

Jack is looking at his pocket watch. He tucks it into his vest pocket. Owen and Gwen share their findings with the entire team.

GWEN : Here we go. Church Stretton, 1901.

She has the article up on the monitor from the "Church Stretton Crier," dated August 11th, 1901. The headline reads, "Number of Missing Rises to Eight".

GWEN : People went missing when a traveling show visited the town. And there was one earlier on, 1898. A small village called Wellsfield.

Jack gives Toshiko and Ianto photocopies.

GWEN : These disappearances... there's a lot of old wives' tales attached to them through the years. People still alive but being deprived of breath, children being told to hold their breath while the traveling show passes by.

OWEN : Yeah, this local paper, didn't take it seriously. Uh... Hunstanton Chronicle, March 1911.

Owen reads from a copy of the article with the headline, "School Mistress Pronounced Dead".

OWEN : "Police and doctors were left both amused and baffled when Mr. Alfred Mace insisted that his dead wife could be brought back to life providing a certain flask could be found". He reckoned that his wife's last breath had been taken and put in a flask.

JACK : A silver flask.

IANTO : And the last breath of each victim.

JACK : So that's how he makes his ghosts.

OWEN : So if we find the flask...

JACK : We can save them.

CUT TO :

INT. WAREHOUSE – DAY

Jonathan is returning to his loft. He walks across the long empty warehouse and pulls his keys out of his pocket. He stops when he sees his door partially opened. Cautious, he starts forward. He stops and looks behind him. Seeing nothing, he reaches for the door and pulls it open. The hinges creak. He walks inside.

INT. JONATHAN'S FLAT – DAY – CONTINUOUS

Jonathan pushes aside the curtain to the main room and sees that it's a mess. The film clips that were hanging are now on the floor. Someone was searching for something. He scratches the back of his head. Suddenly, he turns and slowly heads for the bathroom. We hear the sounds of water running.

INT. JONATHAN'S FLAT – BATHROOM - DAY – CONTINUOUS

He turns the corner and sees the bathtub overflowing. There's someone in it. As he gets closer, he sees the bathtub filled to the rim with water, the person's knees and face just above the surface. Jonathan reaches out to see if she's still alive and Pearl suddenly lurches out of the water, her arm extended to touch him. Spooked, Jonathan turns and runs out of the bathroom.

He runs out of the main room and out the door. Standing hidden in the shadows and watching is the Ghostmaker.

INT. WAREHOUSE – DAY – CONTINUOUS

Jonathan runs out of his flat, across the room and straight for down the stairs.

Pearl steps into the main room to join the Ghostmaker, who is looking at the filmstrip.

GHOSTMAKER : Now we have the film. Time to bring the others.

EXT. STREET – DAY

Jonathan runs out onto the sidewalk. He pulls out his cell phone and dials. A phone rings.

EXT. CARDIFF CITY (STOCK) – DAY

JONATHAN (v.o. Filtered) : Jack, this is Jonathan ! They're here ! They're at my flat ! You've got to get over here, now !

ZOOM down to the Torchwood SUV traveling on the road.

EXT. STREET – DAY

The Torchwood SUV appears on the street and stops on the side of the road. Jack and Ianto get out of the SUV.

INT. WAREHOUSE – DAY

Jack, Ianto and Jonathan head for his flat. Jack and Ianto have their g*ns out.

JACK : Who's in there ?

JONATHAN : A woman, lying under water. I thought she'd drowned.

IANTO : Anyone else ?

JONATHAN : No.

They reach the open door. Jack motions for them to stop. Jack enters, then motions for them to follow.

Jack enters the main room through the curtain. He looks around. There's no one. Jonathan and Ianto enter the room. Jonathan points to the hallway leading to the bathroom. Jack heads over to look.

JONATHAN : Careful.

INT. JONATHAN'S FLAT – BATHROOM - DAY – CONTINUOUS

Jack kicks the door open and finds the bathtub overflowing and empty. Whoever was in there is gone. He thinks about it.

CUT TO :

INT. THE ELECTRO – LOBBY – DAY

Dave and Faith enter the front doors and step into the lobby. They hear the piano music in the distance.

DAVE PENN : Did Bernard say he was coming here today ?

FAITH PENN : No.

Dave and Faith head inside.

INT. THE ELECTRO – THEATRE – DAY

Dave and Faith enter the theatre. Piano music is heard, but there's no one playing at the piano up on stage. They enter and look around. Faith sees her.

FAITH PENN : David...

He turns and they see Pearl carrying an old-fashioned torchlight as she makes her way across the front of the theatre. She stops at the aisle in front of them and holds up the lightbox.

PEARL : This way, please.

Jack, Ianto and Jonathan are in the main workroom.

IANTO : So they haven't left the area.

JACK : They probably can't. Probably need to be near the Electro.

JONATHAN : All my old film cans have been opened.

JACK : What was on them ?

JONATHAN : Clips from circus sideshows.

IANTO : They're bringing more through.

Jack sighs and kneels down on his haunches in front of the film clips on the floor.

JACK : Then we need to stop them. (To comm) Gwen, Owen. Meet us at the Electro.

JONATHAN : Look, what's going on ? I've got to find my mum and dad. If anything's happened to them...

Jack holds up a filmstrip.

JONATHAN : Hey, there's that smell again. Like chemicals.

IANTO : Yeah, I can smell it. Like when you develop a film.

JONATHAN : That woman. She grabbed me. But her hand, it was different. (Jack looks up on the desk and picks up a hand-held camera). It wasn't like a hand. It wasn't like flesh. It was... it was like touching a piece of plastic, a piece of celluloid.

Jack looks at the filmstrip again.

JACK : They were on this film for eighty years. Became part of it. What if we filmed them ?

IANTO : A film of a film ?

JACK : Yeah. Then they'd be trapped. Is this thing loaded ?

INT. WAREHOUSE – DAY

Jonathan closes the flat door as they head out.

JACK : If they were trapped on film before...

IANTO : They can be got rid of in the same way.

JACK : Let's suppose they're made of camphor and nitrate, made of shadows, made of light. Just enough light.

IANTO : We film them. Capture them in that...

JACK : ... then expose the film to as much light as possible.

IANTO : Of course. We'd blank them out, we'd lose them.

JACK : Let's hope so.

GWEN (filtered) : Jack ?

Jack activates his comm.

JACK : Yeah ?

GWEN (filtered) : We're at the Electro. Something's happening inside.

JACK : Let's go.

They run out.

CUT TO :

INT. / EXT. THE ELECTRO – DAY

Gwen pounds on the glass doors. They can hear the piano music.

Owen looks inside. Jack, Ianto and Jonathan arrive.

GWEN : Do you hear that ?

JONATHAN : Maybe it's my mum and dad.

GWEN : Would they lock themselves in ?

JONATHAN : No.

Jonathan takes his keys out. Jack takes the keys from him and unlocks the door.

JONATHAN : Please let them be okay. Please.

He gets the doors open and they enter.

INT. THE ELECTRO – LOBBY – DAY – CONTINUOUS

They enter the lobby and head for the theatre. Jonathan rushes in.

JONATHAN (shouts) : Mum ? Dad ?

OWEN : Hey, easy... easy.

GWEN : Whoa. Whoa.

INT. THE ELECTRO – THEATRE - DAY – CONTINUOUS

They enter the theatre.

JONATHAN : What's going on ?

They find Dave and Faith sitting in the theatre seats and facing the front. They're not moving.

JONATHAN : Mum ?

GWEN : No ! No, Jonathan !

JONATHAN (shouts) : Mum ! Dad ! What's happened ? Please ! (He crouches next to his mum). Don't die, please ! Speak to me !

Gwen reaches for Jonathan, but he yanks his arm out of her grip.

JONATHAN : Leave me alone !

IANTO : They've been frozen in place, a circus needs an audience.

Organ music starts up. The curtains open.

JACK : Get him out of here.

GWEN : Jonathan, come on.

OWEN : Come on !

Gwen grabs Jonathan. She and Owen pull him up and toward the door.

JONATHAN : Leave me alone !

OWEN : Jonathan !

JONATHAN : Mum !

JACK : Owen, find out who's upstairs.

Gwen and Owen leave with Jonathan. Ianto and Jack remain to watch the show. The projector lights up and the film starts. The strong man appears on film. Then, the two jugglers.

IANTO : The same pictures as before.

INTERCUT WITH :

INT. THE ELECTRO – STAIRS TO PROJECTION ROOM - DAY – CONTINUOUS

Owen starts up the steps to the projection room. He reaches the next floor and opens the nearby door to check the room nearest him. He reaches for the next door.

CLOSE-UP : THE PROJECTOR

The projector is running.

The circus acts continue to play on the monitor. The two clowns are doing their act. Jack and Ianto continue watching the show. The Mighty Stromboli is up on the screen flexing his muscles. He puts his barbell down. Jack checks his hand-held camera. The Mighty Stromboli steps out of the screen.

IANTO : Jack.

Jack and Ianto duck quickly behind the chairs. Pearl steps into view up in the front of the stage. Jack starts his camera. The Mighty Stromboli walks over to Pearl. She helps him off the stage. The two jugglers are up on the screen.

IANTO: They're coming through...

The two jugglers step out of the screen. One of them is holding the unlit pins. Jack continues filming them on his hand-held camera. The two jugglers are helped off the stage by Pearl and the Mighty Stromboli. In the back of the theatre, Gwen watches.

CUT TO :

The two clowns are greeted and helped off the stage by the others.

INT. THE ELECTRO – HALLWAY OUTSIDE PROJECTION ROOM – DAY - CONTINUOUS

Owen bangs on the door with the butt of his g*n.

OWEN (shouts) : Open up !

Jack, Ianto and Gwen watch.

PEARL : We've done it. We're together again.

Gwen ducks out of sight.

PEARL : This place is ours. It belongs to us.

Jack and Ianto stand up and back away. Jack continues filming the Night Travelers.

PEARL : This whole city belongs to us !

Pearl notices Jack and Ianto backing away toward the door. Her smile fades. Jack and Ianto duck out of the theatre.

INT. THE ELECTRO – HALLWAY OUTSIDE PROJECTION ROOM - DAY – CONTINUOUS

Owen bangs on the door. The door opens and the Ghostmaker grabs Owen's mouth as he steps out of the projection room. He pushes him slowly back up to the hallway wall. Owen gasps and struggles to breathe.

GHOSTMAKER : What are you ? There's not a breath in your poor, sad body. You're no use to me.

The Ghostmaker lets Owen go and heads down the stairs. Owen continues to gasp.

INT. THE ELECTRO – STAIRS TO / LOBBY - DAY – CONTINUOUS

The Ghostmaker steps down into the lobby. Ianto and Gwen are right behind him. The Ghostmaker is clutching the silver flask in his hand.

IANTO : The flask ! He's got it !

Gwen rushes to grab the flask. The Ghostmaker turns and grabs Gwen. She gasps for breath. He pulls the flask away from her and pushes her down to the floor. Ianto rushes forward and snatches the flask from the Ghostmaker's hand.

IANTO : I've got it !

Ianto runs.

EXT. THE ELECTRO – DAY – CONTINUOUS

The front doors burst open. Ianto runs out onto the sidewalk and out across the street. He keeps running.

INT. THE ELECTRO – LOBBY - DAY – CONTINUOUS

Jack runs down the stairs as he holds the hand-held camera.

JACK : Gwen, are you all right ?

Jack runs over and helps Gwen to her feet.

GWEN : Oh ! Yeah.

JACK : Are you okay ?

GWEN : Yes !

Owen staggers down the stairs into the lobby. He's holding the rail, unsteady on his feet and still panting, gasping for breath.

JACK (turns) : Owen, look after the family. (To Gwen) Come on.

Jack and Gwen run outside. Owen nods, then glances down at his g*n.

From the front of the stage, the circus performers head through the aisle in a single line as they make their way toward the entrance as if on parade. The Mighty Stromboli is carrying one of the smaller clowns on his shoulders, followed by the second clown, the two jugglers, the tattooed man and Pearl.

EXT. THE ELECTRO – DAY – CONTINUOUS

Ianto continues to run down the street. He turns and appears to be heading back to the warehouse, Jonathan's flat. He glances behind him and starts up the stairs to the building. As he steps up, the Ghostmaker suddenly appears behind Ianto and grabs his shoulder. Ianto yells with pain and crumples to the ground.

IANTO : Aaaah !

The Ghostmaker takes the flask from Ianto. He starts up the stairs out of Ianto's reach. Jack arrives carrying the hand-held camera. The Ghostmaker reaches the top of the steps just as Jack starts filming him. Gwen arrives and stops next to Jack. The Ghostmaker reaches for the flask cap.

IANTO : No ! Please !

The Ghostmaker uncaps the flask. Jack stops filming. The Ghostmaker tosses the flask into the air. The flask floats across the air while a sparkly small cloud of white wispy air escapes out of the opening.

IANTO : If their breaths escape the flask, all the victims will die.

Jack opens the camera and pulls the film out. Another small cloud of sparkly white air escapes out of the flask as it continues to turn mid-air. Ianto moves into position under it, following the flask. Jack rips the film out of the camera. The Ghostmaker's eyes widen. He flashes and burns out like old film, and is gone.

The procession of Night Travelers marches down the aisle. They flash and burn out like old film. Pearl screams as she, too, burns out. They're gone.

EXT. OUTSIDE THE WAREHOUSE – DAY – CONTINUOUS

Jack watches the flask.

JACK : Quick ! We could lose them forever !

Ianto catches the flask. He covers the flask top with the palm of his hand.

INT. ABANDONED POOL – SHOWERS

The "ghosts" standing in the showers vanish one by one.

INT. HOSPITAL – ROOM – DAY

The nurse is reading the chart, her back to the patients in the beds. The Restaurant Owner surges up and gasps loudly for breath. She falls back onto the bed and dies. Nettie Williams surges up in her bed and gasps loudly for breath. She falls back onto the bed and dies. The heart monitors flatline. The Young Nurse and a doctor run into the room.

NURSE : They're flat-lining ! Call the crash team.

They each check on a patient in the room.

EXT. OUTSIDE THE WAREHOUSE – DAY – CONTINUOUS

Ianto holds the flask up to his ear.

IANTO : One. I think we saved just one.

Jack tucks the camera in his jacket pocket. Ianto can hear the eerie breath coming from the flask.

IANTO : I hear it, Jack.

Gwen caps the flask.

IANTO : I heard it. Something inside calling out to me.

JACK : Okay.

She steps away. Jack takes the flask and looks at it.

JACK : So we managed to save one. (He looks at them). But which one ?

INT. HOSPITAL – HALLWAY – DAY

The Young Nurse walks and talks with Jack and Ianto.

YOUNG NURSE : There was nothing we could do. They all d*ed so suddenly. Except this poor little soul.

She pushes the room doors open and enters.

INT. HOSPITAL – HALLWAY – DAY – CONTINUOUS

She leads them to the last remaining patient, the young boy.

YOUNG NURSE : I suppose he'll be next to go.

Jack steps up to the bed and feels for the little boy's pulse and leans in close to feel for any signs of breathing. The Young Nurse is alarmed.

YOUNG NURSE : What are you doing ?

JACK : I need your help.

Jack puts the flask down on the bed.

YOUNG NURSE : What is that thing ?

JACK : Please. Just trust me. Give me a hand.

Jack lifts the little boy onto his lap and holds him.

YOUNG NURSE : Careful.

JACK : Hold his head.

Jack takes the flask and uncaps it. He holds his thumb over the lip of the flask to prevent anything from escaping.

YOUNG NURSE (wary) : What's in there ?

JACK : Something that belongs to him. His last breath... his life.

Jack holds the open flask near the little boy's mouth. The white wisp of breath escapes out of the flask and into the boy's mouth. The little boy comes alive gasping for breath. He coughs.

YOUNG NURSE (alarmed) : What have you done to him ?

Ianto watches with tears in his eyes.

IANTO : It worked.

The little boy looks at Jack.

JACK : Welcome back.

The little boy smiles.

A bay view of the city lights.

EXT. CARDIFF CITY (STOCK) – DAY

A bay view of the city.

INT. THE HUB – JACK'S OFFICE – DAY

Ianto is filling out the information on the evidence bag.

JACK : Those reels of film in Jonathan's workroom...

Ianto looks at Jack.

IANTO : I took them out, destroyed them.

Ianto puts his pen down.

IANTO : Let's hope that's... uh... an end to it.

JACK : What worries me are all those long lost pieces of film, tucked away in dusty cellars, hidden in lofts. The Night Travelers could still be there, somewhere. Just waiting.

Ianto picks up the silver flask, gives it to Jack and turns to leave the office. Jack looks at the flask.

EXT. RANDOM SWAP MEET – DAY

A group of people rummage through the various items set out near the back of various cars and trucks. A father, who is with his son, picks up a film canister and looks at it. He looks at the owner.

FATHER : How much is this ?

INTERCUT WITH :

Jack spins the combination lock to the safe in his office. It clicks and he opens the heavy safe door. He opens the secure compartment.

EXT. SWAP MEET – DAY

The father and son are carrying the old film canisters. The son has his film canister on his skateboard. He's not paying attention and the canister slides off the skateboard, the lid falling open when it hits the pavement. He kneels to cover it and pick it up.

Faint organ circus music plays. Jack pauses when he hears the faint music. It stops. He listens and hears nothing but silence. Jack puts the silver flask in the locker compartment. He presses the button and the door slides shut.

END