05x20 - What Lies Beneath

Episode transcripts for the TV show "The Vampire Diaries". Aired September 2009 - March 2017.*

Moderator: DelenaForever

Watch/Buy Amazon  Merchandise

A high school girl is torn between two vampire brothers.

05x20 - What Lies Beneath

Post by bunniefuu »

[Traveler’s Camp]

(A woman is kissing Tyler)

Maria: Wake up, babe

(He wakes up)

Maria: I've missed you. Julian? Is that still you?

Tyler: Yeah. Bad dream. What were you saying? Oh. Look. I'm always up for a little bit of kink, but...

Maria: Markos' orders. Put them on you as soon as you fell asleep. You're passengered in a hybrid. We can't risk him popping out. The pecs are a plus. But extra security's a minus

Man: Maria, we're on the move

Maria: Looks like this is gonna have to wait

Tyler: Where are we going?

Maria: To the next camp, which will hopefully be our last camp. Markos is ready to do the spell. He's taking the doppelgangers

Tyler: Today?

Maria: As soon as we're out of here.Soon, we can actually have a home, and I can finally have a closet.. Better yet, two closets, one for clothes and one for shoes. Julian? Julian? Babe, what's wrong? Open your eyes. Oh, my God. You're not... I need help! Somebody!

[Salvatore’s House]

(Luke is here, chanting)

Luke: That's not helping

Damon: Well, you've been failing now for an hour, wonder twin, so at this point, I can't imagine it's hurting

(Stefan enters)

Stefan: Damon, I know you're out of friend, but, uh, I'm not sure this guy's the best replacement

Damon: I don't think this guy's be the best anything if his locator spell skills are any indication. Where's your sister?

Luke: She's tired of being almost m*rder*d. Look. I can find any person anywhere on the planet, ok? There's just something weird with your friend Enzo. I can't get a read

Stefan: Enzo? Didn't he, uh, go to Cape Horn?

Damon: He flipped his humanity switch.There should have been a body count all the way to the airport

Stefan: Well, why are you looking for him?

Damon: Gee. I don't know, Stefan. Vampire with no humanity who wants me dead for k*lling his girl

Stefan: Well, maybe he hired a witch to block whatever Luke's doing. Is that possible?

Luke: A cloaking spell? I guess

Stefan: That would mean that he doesn't want to be found, so, uh, why don't you just drop it?

(Tyler enters)

Tyler: We have a problem

Tyler: Markos turned Sloan into a vampire, had her drink doppelganger blood, and after some chanting ritual thing, she turned human gain

Damon: He cured her?

Tyler: He cured her to death. The blood took away her vampirismbut left her in the state that she was in just before she turned

Stefan: That state being dead. Got it

Luke: So it kills vampires. What does the spell mean for the witches?

Damon: No one cares. Wait. Keep going

Tyler: The point is they feel if they can get rid of all magic they'll break some lame-ass witch curse

Damon: Markos said they can't settle anywhere without evoking earthquakes or hellfire, but they break that curse and they just move right on into Mystic Falls

Stefan: And come after Elena and me today, as in now

Damon: Oh, well. Markos had a good week or two in the land of the living. Now where is he so I can k*ll him?

Tyler: No idea. They were moving camp when I got out

Damon: Well, good news. Our friend Luke here is an alleged genius at locator spells

Luke: Travelers are always moving. They're impossible to track. They'll find Stefan and Elena long before we can find them

Damon: Well, what about one of those locator spells blocker deals? Is that simple enough for you?

Luke: If both doppelgangers are in the same place, yeah

Damon: Perfect. You avoid the entire Czech language, figure out how to find Markos

Tyler: How am I supposed to do that?

Damon: Well, you have a traveler inside of you. I mean, I have probably misplaced faith that you'll figure it out. Meanwhile, you and I and our ex-girlfriend are gonna go on a little secret trip

Stefan: Sounds great

[Cabin in the Woods]

(Stefan and Elena are at the car)

Elena: This is a terrible idea

Stefan: Well, what did you want me to say?"No, Damon. It will be awkward to have the 3 of us confined to Caroline's dad's cabin because I k*lled your best friend and Elena's keeping that secret for me"?

Elena: We should have told him

Stefan: Look. I don't trust that he'd be able to hold it together

Elena: Because Enzo's dead or because you k*lled him?

Stefan: Either, both. I don't know. Either way...

(Caroline arrives)

Caroline: Good news! So we don't have to be invited in,which is actually supersad if you think about it. Am I interrupting something?

Elena: No, no. We're just, um...

Stefan: Unpacking. We're unpacking. Uh, here you go

Caroline: Ok…

(She leaves)

Elena: So where's Damon now?

Stefan: Helping Luke set up

Elena: Helping Luke or avoiding me?

Stefan: You really don't think he wants to be around you?

Elena: Well, technically, he said, "I don't want to hear your voice, and I don't want to see your face,"because it's too hard for him

Stefan: Who do you think brought you home last night?

Elena: Really?

Stefan: Oh, yeah. Tucked you in safely

Elena: Well, that was an extreme circumstance. Enzo almost k*lled me

Stefan: Probably read you a nice, little bedtime story

Elena: Stop it. You're the least helpful person I know

Caroline: For a couple of doppeltargets,you two seem to be taking this all in stride

Stefan: Yeah. Well, you know, a tribe of ancient wannabe witches want to drain of us our blood and eliminate supernatural beings? I've had worse

(Caroline enters. Enzo’s there)

Enzo: For some reason, I thought that would feel better

(Elena is unpacking. Damon rejoins her)

Damon: Cozy

Elena: Yeah. Caroline used to invite me here before her parents split. Her dad could tell a pretty good ghost story

Damon: Well, I hope that dickwad's spirit isn't floating around anywhere

Elena: Have a little respect for the dead

Damon: I respect that he's dead. How about that? I'm supposed to be avoiding you

Elena: Is that still what you want?

Damon: Yes .No. I don't know

Elena: Well, Luke did the cloaking spell. Stefan and Caroline are here, so we should be good... But if it's too hard for you to be here, then...

Damon: You kicking me out?

Elena: Yes. No. I don't know

Damon: I'm really sorry Enzo came after you. That was my fault. He was hurt

Elena: It's not a big deal

Damon: It is a big deal.He almost k*lled you, Elena, so I'm gonna hunt his ass down, I'm gonna whip some sense to him, and I'm gonna make him apologize in person, ok? What?

Elena: Hmm? No. Nothing. I just, uh... I just remembered that Stefan asked me to help him bring some firewood in, so I'll be right back

[Whitmore College]

(Bonnie and Jeremy are kissing)

Bonnie: What?

Jeremy: What are we gonna do about the other side slipping off into oblivion and you with it?

Bonnie: We have the dorm to ourselves for an entire weekend, and you want to talk logistics?

Jeremy: I'm just saying that I would enjoy this weekend a whole lot more if I knew we were gonna be able to keep doing it

Bonnie: I told you Liv is working on a spell to keep me here

(His cell phone rings)

Bonnie: Oh. Another secret bro meeting?

Jeremy: No more secrets, remember? Tyler's back. We should get over there. Let me grab my stuff

(He leaves. Sheila appears)

Sheila: Please tell me more about this special spell that your friend Liv has concocted

Bonnie: I know I shouldn't lie

Sheila: He deserves the truth, Bonnie. It's not getting any better over here. People are getting swept away, and when this place goes, you are going with it

Bonnie: I know I have to tell him. I just need a few more days with him before I... How did you do that? How did you move that? You can't move things from the other side. That doesn't happen

Sheila: That's what I'm trying to tell you. This place is falling apart. Tell him soon. False hope doesn't protect him. It protects you

[A Shed]

(Stefan and Elena go get firewood)

Elena: I lied to his face

Stefan: Yeah, I know, but you know what? Think of all the times he's lied to you and call it a freebie

Enzo: Glad you two find my death so amusing

Stefan: I'm sorry that you have to go through this

Enzo: You're sorry for that? I'm glad we've got our priorities straight

Elena: Look. I know that we're doing this for Damon, but it still just sucks

Stefan: Elena, this is exactly what Enzo wanted. He wanted the blood to be on my hands, and I refuse to give him the satisfaction of feeling guilty about any of it

Elena: And you think Damon is just gonna forget and move on?

Stefan: He's done it before. Come on. Let's get out of here

(They leave)

Enzo: Now there's an interesting development

[Cabin in the Woods]

(Damon and Caroline are in the kitchen)

Damon: Hey, munchie. Those are not for you

Caroline: I'm thinking. Hey!

Damon: "Area 51."

Caroline: Stop!

Damon: "J.F.K. assassination"? What the hell is that?

Caroline: You're ruining the game

Damon: What game?

Caroline: Charades. Our theme is secrets that people think they're getting away with

Damon: Well, Meryl Streep, I'd love to know how we're gonna act out Watergate

Caroline: Well, I'm sure team Stelena will figure it out

Damon: "A," you just implied that I was on your team. Two, you just gave me that judgy little hinty voice. So what am I missing?

Caroline: It's probably nothing

Damon: Speak

Caroline: Well, don't you think that Stefan and Elena have been a little... You know?

Damon: No. Clearly I don't

Caroline: Secretive? I caught them being all hushed and whispery at the car this morning, and now they're getting firewood out of the shed together, which apparently takes 20 minutes

Damon: You know, now that you mention it, Elena got all cagey when I brought up Enzo

Caroline: No, no. I'm not talking about Enzo. I'm talking about Stefan and Elena

Damon: How much have you had to drink?

Caroline: Come on! She's single now, you two are on the outs

(Stefan and Elena enter)

Elena: Cocktails. Good call

Stefan: I'll, uh... I'll make a fire

Elena: I'll help. Ahem

(They leave)

Damon: Let the games begin

[Salvatore’s House]

(Jeremy is in the basement. Bonnie rejoins shim)

Bonnie: When we planned our romantic day together, I wasn't picturing you, me, and two other guys

Jeremy: Trust me, neither was I

(Jeremy and Bonnie rejoin Matt and Tyler)

Jeremy: One part wolfsbane, one part vervain. All together, the dumbest idea that either of you have ever had

Matt: Don't look at me. This is all Ty.

Tyler: These should hold. Let's do this

Bonnie: Not to be the only girl here, but I can't watch this. I'm gonna go upstairs

Matt: Ty, once this guy pops out, we have no idea when you'll come back again

Tyler: Some freak is inside my body.He took over my life.God only knows what he's got planned for me, so unless you've got any better ideas, this is what we're doing

Matt: Ok. Let's do this

Tyler/Julian: Who are you? Where am I?

Matt: Where's Markos?

Tyler/Julian: Go to hell

Matt: To answer your question, my name is Matt, and you, Julian, are inside my best friend, aka your own personal hell

[A Parking Lot]

(The Travelers are moving)

Markos: Maria. Julian's your husband. Why didn't you realize he wasn't in control of the body?

Maria: He'd only been called out for a few hours. I've never seen a host reemerge so quickly

Markos: You've never seen a hybrid before either. Find him!And make him permanent. As for the rest of you, I see a lot of walking when I should be hearing chanting. Find me the doppelgangers

[Cabin in the Woods]

(They are playing charades)

Stefan: Uh, ok. Think. Ponder. Brain. I don't know. Uh, skull!

Elena: Yes!

Stefan: All right! Skull, skull.Ok. Limb. Joint. Bone, bone. Skull and bones. Skull and bones! Got it! 5-0, 5-0. Come on guys, this is it

Damon: Ok. Let's play a game called never have I ever, hmm?

Elena: Oh, I don't think I'm drunk enough

Caroline: Oh, come on! It'll be fun! Come on. It'll be fun. I'll go first.Never have I ever d*ed

Damon: Cheers to that one. Cheers

Stefan: Ooh! Ok. Um, never have I ever been possessed by my evil doppelganger

Elena: Mean. Never have I ever been fooled by evil doppelganger while she was pretending to be me

Caroline: Low blow

Damon: Tough but fair

Elena: Never have I ever kissed a Salvatore brother. Today. So are you gonna drink or...

Elena: Are you implying something?

Stefan: Well, I'm gonna get another round. Does anybody...

Damon: Never have I ever lied about where Enzo is

Caroline: Ok. What is going on?

Stefan: Nothing obviously because nobody's drinking

Damon: I mean, clearly you know the rules of the game, right, brother? If you lied, you drink

Stefan: Oh, no. I understand the rules

Elena: This just got weird. I'm officially buzzed, so I'm gonna go and get ready for bed

Damon: Well, I could certainly use another round

(Elena is in the bathroom. Enzo’s here too)

Enzo: Avoiding, are we?Nothing a hot bath won't fix. Wash the guilt straight down the drain

Elena: Damon!

(Damon enters)

Damon: Elena! Come here. Come on. What happened?

Elena: There was someone in here

Damon: Who?

Elena: I don't know. I didn't... I didn't see anyone, but I could feel someone pushing me under the water

Damon: Ok. I'd blame it on the spirit of Bill Forbes, but I don't think you're his type. Besides, why would a ghost be targeting you? Hey. Elena

Elena: Damon

Damon: What? Hey
[Salvatore’s House]

(Matt and Jeremy are still in the cell)

Matt: There's plenty more where that came from. Where's Markos?

Tyler/Julian: What does it matter to you?

Jeremy: He wants to k*ll my sister. I want to stop him

Tyler/Julian: You're a fool. Markos destroyed your only w*apon against passengers like me, and there's no way in hell you'd ever k*ll your best friend

Matt: You're right. I don't plan on k*lling you, but I do plan on getting my answers. Where's Markos?

Tyler/Julian: Stop! I can't tell you where Markos is because I don't know, but I can tell you where my body is

Jeremy: Why do we care?

Tyler/Julian: Because Markos doesn't like problems, and your boy escaping camp means he's Markos' problem

Matt: So?

Tyler/Julian: So knowing Markos,he's gonna want to get rid of Tyler for good by making this my body permanently

[Cabin in the Woods]

(Stefan is on the phone with Bonnie)

Bonnie: Stefan, hey. Remind me why I passed on the cloaking spell party again

Stefan: Well, it's not exactly a relaxing getaway. Listen. Are things getting worse on the other side?

Bonnie: Why?

Stefan: Because something att*cked Elena. Is it possible that someone over there could physically affect this plane?

Bonnie: Actually, yeah. My grams knocked a lamp right off my desk today. I doubt it's easy, but if someone were emotional enough...

Stefan: Enzo

Caroline: Enzo's dead?

Stefan: Yeah. I, uh, I k*lled him

Caroline: So my powers of deduction really suck. Why didn't you say anything?

Stefan: Because it's complicated

Damon: Enter the complication. Enzo's dead. You k*lled him. Elena told me

Caroline: So you didn't know either?

Damon: Nope

Caroline: And their secret really was about Enzo

Damon: Yep

Stefan: You guys think we could, um, talk about this some other time?

Damon: By all means, brother. At your convenience

Stefan: Listen. The other side is falling apart, and I think it's allowing Enzo to mess with us

Damon: Enzo! You in here?

Enzo: Don't reckon I'd miss this

Damon: Because knock it off!

Caroline: It doesn't make any sense. If Enzo wanted to k*ll Elena,drowning her wouldn't have worked

Enzo: Smart girl. See why you like her so much

Stefan: Maybe he’s just trying to scare us

Enzo: Warmer. Come on! You've almost got it What is Enzo up to?

Damon: Drowning Elena was just a distraction. He figured out a way to k*ll us all in one fell swoop

Enzo: Did I mention that I missed you?

(Damon, Caroline and Stefan go outside)

Damon: Crap

Stefan: Where's Luke?

Damon: Who knows? We better find him before the travelers find us

[A Parking Lot]

Markos: Stop! I found them

[The Woods]

(Caroline and Elena are looking for Luke)

Caroline: Luke? Luke? Where are you?

Elena: Maybe Luke… You're upset

Caroline: I'm not upset. Just looking for Luke,you know, Luke, who was here to protect you and Stefan, Luke, who's now missing because you and Stefan lied about where Enzo was, and now the travelers can find you,do their spell, and wipe us all off the face of the earth

Elena: I was worried that if Damon found out...

Caroline: What, he'd flip out and spiral and k*ll a bunch of innocent people? Yeah, I get that. I, however, am not Damon,so the fact that you lied to me about it makes less sense

Elena: I just didn't want to put you in an awkward position

Caroline: Because it wasn't awkward when I accused you and Stefan of being makeout buddies again?

Elena: Actually, yes, it was. Where did that even come from?

Caroline: I have no idea

Elena: Well, are you over it?

Caroline: Yes

Elena: Good. Now let's go find Luke

(Damon and Stefan are also looking for Luke)

Stefan: You need to know why I lied to you

Damon: Nope, I don't

Stefan: Damon, come on

Damon: Let's just cut to the chase, Stefan, because I'm not in a hash out our differences kind of mood. Yes, I'm pissed that you k*lled Enzo. I'm even more pissed that you two lied to me about it. You know what, Stefan?If it was me and I was in your shoes, I would have done it, too, except I would have done it months ago. The fact that you took this long...

Stefan: He was your friend

Damon: Yes, Stefan, he was my friend, which is why I, above anyone else, should have known that he was dead. Let's just find the stupid witch

[The Caves]

Bonnie: Of course the creepy travelers are hiding their bodies in creepy caves

Jeremy: Try to think of them as romantic travelers and romantic caves since we're technically still on our date weekend

Bonnie: Right. Oh, my God. These travelers are passengered inside people in Mystic Falls?

Jeremy: I take it back. This is creepy

[The Woods]

Damon: What'd you think I was gonna do?

Stefan: What are you talking about?

Damon: When I found out Enzo was dead? Did you think I was gonna go on a rampage, slaughter a bunch of innocent people, go bowling with human heads? What'd you think I was gonna do?

Stefan: Hate me. I thought you would, uh, hate me

Damon: You hear that?

Stefan: Yeah. Come on

[A Shed]

(They find Luke)

Stefan: He's barely breathing

Damon: Why the hell would Enzo dump him here?

Damon: Smell that? Grab him. Let's go. d*ck move, Enzo. If only this wasn't totally avoidable

Stefan: Oh, really? Now you're doing "I told you so"?

Damon: This isn't gonna stop, Stefan. I k*lled his girl, you k*lled him. This is not gonna stop

Enzo: He's right. I like poetic justice. Damon Salvatore and his murderous brother die a fiery death

Damon: You listening to me? Is that a yes or a no? Because I can bring you back. Bonnie came back, Markos came back. I'll find a way, but this has to stop. How do you think you're able to do all this stuff, huh? The other side's falling apart, Enzo, so you can either help me, or you can blink out of existence. It's your choice.Go on, Stefan. Get Luke out of here. He's the only one that can hide you and Elena. Go now!

Enzo: Don't let me down again

[The Caves]

Bonnie: You're sure Julian has an eagle tattoo?

Jeremy: That's what he said. I'm pretty sure that's a dove

Bonnie: Or a really cute eagle. Moving on

Jeremy: Look. I'm sorry. This is the worst date ever

Bonnie: We're together in a cave of semiconscious travelers, who want to take over our town, but it could be worse, right?

Maria: Right. It could be

Bonnie: Jeremy?! Jeremy!

Maria: He may be a hunter, but you'd be surprised at how easy it is to restrict a man's airways

Bonnie: Please stop!Stop! Jeremy. Jeremy! Stop!

[Cabin in the Woods]

(Stefan is with Luke)

Stefan: Feeling ok?

Luke: Liv and I should have k*lled you when we had the chance

Stefan: Yeah. Well, you didn't, and, uh, I don't understand why, but thank you

Luke: Let's just say my family's pretty screwed up, not a whole lot of compassion. You guys are different.You protect each other

Stefan: Well, we still need you to protect us, so why don't you get your stuff and we can get the hell out of here?

Luke: Yeah

(Damon enters)

Stefan: I guess Enzo bought it

Damon: Bought what?

Stefan: Bring him back. I mean, how do you plan on doing that?

Damon: Markos found his way back. It's not impossible unless you want him terrorizing us for the rest of eternity

Stefan: Not particularly. Uh, look. I know that...

Damon: Had to do that for Enzo. That's the last time you'll hear about it from me

Elena: Damon…

[Salvatore’s House]

(Jeremy is back with Matt and Tyler)

Tyler: What do you mean you lost Julian's body?

Bonnie: You/he was right. The travelers wanted it

Jeremy: But we'll find it.We just need to figure out where they went

Tyler: Hold on. What do they need his body for? Guys, talk to me. Why did they take it?

Matt: Ty, what's wrong?

Tyler: I'm seeing things

Jeremy: Tyler, talk to us

Tyler: I don't know what the hell's happening. It's like I'm seeing his life

Bonnie: Oh, my God. They started the spell to make Julian permanent

Tyler: Make it stop. Make it stop!

Jeremy: Tyler…

Tyler/Julian: I take it you didn't find my body

[A Shed]

(Stefan rejoins Caroline)

Stefan: Never have I ever had a ghost try to burn me alive

Caroline: Drink

Stefan: Come on. Car's packed. We got to get out of here

Caroline: We're friends, right? We tell each other things, we trust each other

Stefan: Caroline, it's not because I didn't trust you

Caroline: No. It's just that you trust Elena more, and I get it. Of course you would. Still sucks to be left out of the loop, you know?

Stefan: Well, if it makes you feel any better, there are things that I tell you that I don't tell her

Caroline: Like what?

Stefan: Like you have dirt on your cheek. And look. Maybe I didn't want you to know that I k*lled Enzo

Caroline: Why?

Stefan: Because I know you, and I know you guys had that weird little chemistry thing going on

Caroline: Oh, please!You're delusional

Stefan: I didn't want you to think any less of me. I'll, uh... I'll meet you over by the car when you're done

[Cabin in the Woods]

(Elena rejoins Damon)

Elena: Hey

Damon: Hey. We're leaving. Pack your stuff

Elena: I will. I just came out to see how you're doing

Damon: I'm in a hurry. You should be, too. The travelers can find us

Elena: So that's it? We're not gonna talk about this?

Damon: What's there to talk about?

Elena: I'm sorry that I lied to you

Damon: I don't care that you lied really

Elena: Ok. I'm confused. Why are you being like this?

Damon: Because you were right, Elena. You wanted to protect me so I wouldn't spiral because if I spiraled then it would prove that we shouldn't be together, but... But I didn't spiral. Despite every nerve in my body wanting to break something or hurt someone or do all the wrong things for all the right reasons, I'm holding it together the best I can for you

Elena: But you're still mad at me?

Damon: Of course I'm still mad at youbecause being around you drives me nuts, and not being around you drives me nuts

Elena: Ok. Now I'm really confused.What was that for?

Damon: Because I've had a really crappy day, and I needed it.