05x21 - Promised Land

Episode transcripts for the TV show "The Vampire Diaries". Aired September 2009 - March 2017.*
Watch/Buy Amazon  Merchandise

A high school girl is torn between two vampire brothers.

05x21 - Promised Land

Post by bunniefuu »

[Salvatore’s House]

(A man is tied up and gagged in the living room. Damon is looking at him)

Damon: Wakey, wakey. Mr...Sikes, head of corporate accounts. Oops. Sorry about that. Yeah. Can't have you mumbling any of those annoying Traveler ditties.It's a sure migraine. So here's the deal. My brother and my girl have both been kidnapped by Travelers, and I can't seem to find them anywhere. I mean, like, poof, gone, right? So besides a completely clueless hybrid in my basement and a cave full of sleeping Travelers, I've got nothing to go on except you, so I'm gonna need you to tell me where I can find your leader Markos

(Caroline enters)

Damon: What's up, blondie?

Caroline: Liv and Luke aren't answering any of my… oh, my God! Mr. Sikes?

Damon: You know him?

Caroline: Yeah. He helped me open my first savings account. He gave me a lollipop

Damon: Well, unfortunately, Mr. Sikes here is occupied by some low-life Traveler. I saw him and his buddies chanting in the town square last week. I also know that Markos and your passengered comrades are planning some big flashy spell to undo some super boring ancient witch curse, and where that sucks for us, it just happens to undo all witch magic, i.e. k*ll me and my sexy, blond frenemy here

Caroline: If you know where Markos took Stefan and Elena, you need to tell us

Damon: Yep. Sorry. You're gonna have to speak up. Mmm. Nope, nope. Didn't catch that either. I think he's trying to say something to me. Come here, sweetie pie

Man: It doesn't matter where Markos is. Nothing you do can stop him now

[A Room]

(Elena wakes up. She’s tied up. Markos enters)

Elena: You have...enough. Let me go

Markos: I'll have enough when you can no longer speak

(He leaves and someone else enters)

Stefan: Who's there?

Woman: Shh. Get out of here. Go

(He escapes and comes back for Elena)

Elena: Stefan

Stefan: Elena

[Middle of Nowhere]

(Stefan is on the phone with Damon)

Damon: Seriously? Collect calls are still a thing?

Stefan: Yeah. Well, you know what could have saved you the cost of this phone call? You finding us. How long have we been gone?

Damon: 4 days

Stefan: 4 days? 4 days, and you couldn't track us down? What'd you think? We were having a nice spa getaway?

Damon: Whoa, whoa, whoa. I've been searching 24/7, ok? Maybe if you'd been a little more perceptive, you wouldn't have gotten yourselves doppelnapped. What the hell was that?

Stefan: Travelers drained us of our blood, so we've had to do a little bit of hunting

Damon: You have Elena participating in squirrel slaughter?

Stefan: Believe me; she's no happier about it than I am

Damon: She'll sh**t your eye out

Stefan: Do you want to talk to her, or are you still pretending like you don't want to hear her voice?

Damon: Don't psychoanalyze me, Stefan. Where are you? I'll come get you

Stefan: I have no idea where we are. We're in the middle of nowhere. Listen. We'll make our way back, but Markos drained most of our blood, and considering the kinds of spells he was able to do with just a little bit of it...

Damon: Yeah, I know. Find Markos; k*ll Markos, save Mystic Falls from becoming Traveler home. It's gonna be a busy day for me, Stefan. Time to strap on the hero hair

Stefan: I'll get her home safely, all right?

Damon: Get both yourselves home safely, brother. I'd hate to have to kick her ass for losing you

[Salvatore’s House]

(Bonnie is here. As is Enzo)

Enzo: Forgetting someone?

Damon: Bonnie!

Bonnie: He says you promised you bring him back

Enzo: Uh, you're paraphrasing. He said, quote, I will find a way

Bonnie: Whatever

Damon: Hello. Still here,and I know what I said

Enzo: Hey. Remind him he doesn't have a very good track record for keeping promises

Bonnie: Please stop talking

Enzo: The other side is on the brink of collapse. I plan on pestering all of you until I'm safely returned to the land of the living

Bonnie: You need to fix this before I lose my mind

Damon: Hey. I'm sorry, ok? I've got two missing doppelgangers, I've got a Traveler that wants to rid our town of magic, and I've got the friendly banker Mr. Sikes in the coat closet, so escape from the netherworld's gonna have to wait until tomorrow

Bonnie: I think he wants to be penciled in for today

Damon: Then you bring him back

Bonnie: What?

Damon: Liv is cooking up a spell to pull you back from the other side before it goes kaboom, so whatever you're doing, just include Enzo in it. You hear me, Enzo? Just hitch a ride with her, ok?See? There delegating. I feel better

Bonnie: That's not a great idea

(Jeremy enters)

Jeremy: You called

Damon: You. I need you and your Xbox buddy to run an errand for me. Come on. Let's go

(They leave)

Enzo: Well, what are you waiting for? Ring up your little witchy friend and get her over here

[A Road in the Middle of Nowhere]

(Stefan and Elena are walking)

Elena: Ohh. I feel like an idiot

Stefan: Ditto

Elena: Do that thing again. The vamp thing

Stefan: Oh, no. I don't want to do that. Come on. You know it's embarrassing

Elena: Come on. It's the only thing that's keeping me sane right now

Stefan: Sure

Elena: Hmm. That was funnier the first time

Stefan: Yeah. Well, you were delirious the first time

Elena: How many, um… ahem… you know, are we supposed to have before we get our strength back?

Stefan: More than we've had, that's for sure. Let me know if you see a damn buffalo

Elena: This is depressing

Stefan: Yeah. More depressing than walking for miles and not knowing where the hell you're going?

Elena: No, probably not more depressing than that

Stefan: Damon is in full hero mode today

Elena: I'm sure he was thrilled about that

Stefan: I don't know. He had the whole savior of the universe voice going on

Elena: I like that voice. You know, maybe this whole thing's a sign

Stefan: A sign of what?

Elena: My blood can literally destroy him. If that's not a sign that we're in a toxic relationship…

Stefan: Our blood, all right, our blood. Don't hog the blame. Look. We're vampires. We're a toxic species. Whether you want to blame it on magic or biology, it's just who we are. When a human gets ravenously hungry, they eat a double cheeseburger. We k*ll people. Some of us are more extreme than others, but that's just who we are

Elena: How come you're so much better at controlling it?

Stefan: Because I'm so much worse when I don't. I'm only gonna say this once. You two are miserable without each other, so if you want to be with him, just be with him. Look. When humans want to break free from complicated relationships, they go to therapy. Vampires get a pass, ok? Come on

[A Dinner]

(Luke rejoins Liv)

Liv: I ordered us waffles. I figured our last meal wouldn't be complete until we poured liquid sugar all over it

Luke: Mmm. My ray of sunshine sister

Liv: The coven's pissed, Luke. You were supposed to hide Stefan and Elena from the Travelers, and you practically delivered them on a silver platter

Luke: Ok. How was I supposed to know that Casper the English ghost would be a complication

Liv: That's not the point. We were never supposed to let things get this far. We got sucked into some stupid "let's be friends" trap

Luke: Look. These people are nice, ok, more than I can say for our screwed up family. What are you doing?

Liv:It's not me. Like I said, the coven is pissed

Luke: Fine. I'm listening

Liv: We were supposed to keep the doppelgangers from falling into Markos' hands. We failed. We can't let him succeed at taking away our magic. There's only one move left. We have to k*ll Stefan and Elena

Luke: Yeah…

[A House]

(Mrs. Douglas opens the door to the mailman)

Mrs. Douglas: Morning, Sam

Mailman: Mrs. Douglas, special delivery

(She goes back inside)

Man: Mailman didn't deliver anything?

Mrs. Douglas: Nope. Just picking up. I'm going to be late for school. I've got a million college essays to review

Man: What's going on, Pam? Something's wrong. You're different lately

Mrs. Douglas: I think what's wrong is the fact that it's taken you so long to notice that your wife has been colonized by a total stranger

Man: You think I'm joking? I'm serious

Mrs. Douglas: So am I. My name's Karl.I'm a Traveler living inside your wife's body while my real body is asleep in a cave under the town

Man: What are you talking about?

Mrs. Douglas: This isn't my first choice, but I need to borrow something that's expendable

Man: Pam, you need help

Mrs. Douglas: This marriage was a disaster anyway. No hard feelings

[Road in the Middle of Nowhere]

Elena: I think I just hallucinated a unicorn

Stefan: Maybe Caroline's nearby

Elena: Heh. If Caroline was here, we'd have a fully catered buffet on the side of the road and a rainbow

Stefan: Two rainbows

Elena: That's funny. Ha!You know, when we were younger, I couldn't decide what was more annoying… her control freakiness or her delusional positivity, but right now honestly, there isn't a single person I wish was here more

Stefan: Her control freakiness never really bugged me

Elena: Yeah. Well, you didn't have to build a Barbie castle with her in the second grade

Stefan: That's true. I do know this. If Caroline Forbes was here right now, we would both be laughing

Elena: We're so pathetic. You know what? Let's put on your best Caroline Forbes hats, shall we? All right, universe, enough screwing around. We're ready for the good stuff. Theme dance or block party maybe

Stefan: You got to be kidding me

Elena: What? Oh, my God.That is so weird. Oh no wait. See?

Stefan: Right…

(They approach the car and see Maria behind the wheel)

Elena: H--oh. Not what I was expecting

Stefan: All right. Let's cut to the chase. You're giving us a ride

Maria: You're trying to compel me? Who do you think freed you last night? Get in. They're coming for you

[Salvatore’s House]

(Jeremy and Matt are carrying one of the traveler’s bodies)

Damon: Ah, great.I'm gonna add carry to the list of things that you can't do well, but that's ok. You can pay me back with your salary from the grill if you want to work a couple thousand years

Matt: Why don't you do us all a favor and start dating Elena again?

Damon: Just put her on the pool table

(Caroline enters)

Caroline: What the hell is going on? Who are all these people?

Damon: Traveler husks. They've passengered themselves into the beautiful citizens of Mystic Falls like your buddy Mr. Sikes. You two, make yourselves useful. Patrol the town. Call me if you see anything weirder than usual

Caroline: And what are you planning on doing with all of them?

Damon: Here you go. Oh, yeah. Well, Markos put them in a cave. I'm hoping he wants them back

Caroline: So you think drawing Markos to your house is the best idea?

Damon: It's the only idea unless your body-snatched ex-boyfriend in the basement can help us

Caroline: Julian is not Tyler. Therefore, he has no reason to help us, so until I figure out a way to get Tyler back, he's just extra baggage

Damon: There's no shame in giving up. I mean, aren't we all a little sick of Tyler?

Caroline: You know what? Your whole I'm too cool to care thing is really starting to get old, and don't think for one second that I believe your mood has nothing to do with Elena

Damon: Spare me the unsolicited relationship advice

Caroline: Fine. Just keep your t*rture-happy hands off of Tyler until I figure something out. I don't abandon the people that I care about

[A Car]

Maria: It was too risky to haul you out of there myself, so I had to circle back

Stefan: Won't they k*ll you for helping us out?

Maria: Yes, which is why we need to make sure that they don't get to me before I get to my husband. I assume you know where he is

Elena: Well, seeing as how he's permanently passengered into one of our best friends, yeah. This isn't really a 3-person kind of truck, is it?

Maria: You can always sit in your boyfriend's lap

Elena: We're not together

Stefan: She's not my girlfriend

Maria: Noted. Sorry I assumed. I thought the doppelgangers were, like, fated soul mates or something

Stefan: Something like that

Elena: So you want your husband back. I get it, but didn't he run from Markos, too? Doesn't that make you guys both dead?

Maria: Markos is focused on breaking the curse so that the Travelers can settle permanently in your hometown. I'll have a head start if I can get to Julian before Markos starts the spell

Stefan: We're not just gonna let you take Tyler

Maria: Tyler is gone. There's only Julian now, and he belongs with me. Once the spell starts, magic will be stripped away layer by layer. Tyler's body will turn from hybrid back to werewolf, but then finally, he'll just be dead, and my husband along with him. So leaving him behind is not an option

[Salvatore’s House]

(Caroline is in the cell with Tyler/Julian)

Tyler/Julian: Quit hovering. It's weird

Caroline: You're, like, permanently inhabiting the former love of my life. Let's debate the levels of weird

Tyler/Julian: If he's former, why do you care?

Caroline: Because he's a person whose life you stole without asking. He deserves to be fought for

Tyler/Julian: Whatever

Caroline: So why can't Markos and all the other Travelers find someplace else to live?

Tyler/Julian: It's nice here. Besides, it's not just about breaking the curse that keeps us from being able to settle. It's revenge against everything the witches stand for, every grimoire, every talisman, every vampire, right down to your daylight rings. The Travelers see it all as a perversion of pure magic. Markos wants to destroy that perversion. He wants to restore the balance

Caroline: But that's just wrong

Tyler/Julian: It's not really wrong when you think about it. If anything, it's kind of right

Caroline: Why does he have to be so violent about it?

Tyler/Julian: When it comes to getting what he wants, Markos doesn't have much of a sense of humor

(Damon looks at one of the bodies)

Damon: Nothing…

(His phone rings he answers)

Damon: Salvatore boring house

Markos: I'm calling about my people

Damon: Hey. You found my note. Now listen. Don't be offended, but I can't just give them to anyone, so what do they look like?

Markos: They're ragged, beaten down by the world, desperate for a home

Damon: You just described homeless people, aging hipsters, and Matt Donovan

Markos: One of them is 5'10", wearing a black coat. You're standing next to him

(Markos enters)

Damon: I know the concept of a home is new to you, but it is polite to knock

[Whitmore College]

(Caroline is with Bonnie)

Caroline: So Julian is trapped inside of Tyler forever or until he dies, so I was thinking what if he does die? Maybe that's how we do it, that's how we get him out

Bonnie: You want to k*ll Tyler?

Caroline: Well, he'll go to the other side, and then when Liv does the spell to help you and Enzo, Tyler can come back. And speaking of, shouldn't you be, like, preparing or talking to Liv or doing anything other than packing up our dorm room?

Bonnie: We have to be out of here right after finals, which I might skip due to the potential extinction of magic in the place where I was spending my summer break

Caroline: Right, but I think the other side falling apart is slightly more pressing than a late housing fee

Bonnie: There is no spell. I made it up. The other side is collapsing, and everyone in it, including me, is going away for good. So, no, I don't think you should k*ll Tyler
[Salvatore’s House]

Markos: Nice place.A little rustic. My tastes are more modern ironically. Still... Good bones and all

Damon:I think you read the flier wrong. See, the bodies are the only thing on the bargaining table and in the attic and the garage and the kitchen

Markos: About that. Please tell me taking hostages isn't your grand plan because it feels a little small, much like the half bathroom off the foyer

Damon: Funny. Here I thought you didn't have a sense of humor. Oh. If you're wondering about the smell, I have your salvation army doused in gasoline, and I am just itching to light a match

Markos: You're right. None of this would be possible without their willingness to passenger themselves into your citizens and help perform my spell, and while I'd like to give them the opportunity to return to their actual bodies… It's not essential to my plan. Did you really think you'd found the whole of my people? Travelers are everywhere.They're the faces that surround you every day the world over, the ones you don't notice because you're too busy making a mess of all that you have. They want those things, too… a home, a family, a better life… and they're willing to die for it

Damon: You want a promised land. I get it, ok, but look. Off the record, I mean, Mystic Falls is kind of a dump… bad schools, terrible traffic, and forget about ever getting a decent cup of coffee

Markos: Mystic Falls is a means to an end, like a small pebble dropped into a very large pond

Damon: Very poetic. No idea what it means

Markos: Once we destroy the spirit magic in this town, the witches' curse will finally be broken. From there, the spell will ripple outward, unraveling spirit magic as it spreads. Only pure magic, our magic, will remain. My people will be free to go wherever they choose, and when witch magic and all that it has ever created is gone from this earth, you will be, too

Damon: I think I've heard about enough

Markos: You underestimate me. I've completely transfused myself with doppelganger blood. I'm channeling all the power of my people. You're not strong enough to k*ll me anymore. Not that it matters. The spell has already begun

[A car]

Maria: Home, sweet, home

Elena: I don't meant to be rude, but would you mind if I drained your carotid of a few ounces?

Maria: You're two blocks from home. Would you mind holding out, considering I saved your lives? Word of advice, keep a low profile. This is exactly where Markos doesn't want you to be. If a Traveler spots you, you're going right back to that camp

Stefan: Look out!

Elena: What the hell is she doing?

Maria: Trying to k*ll you. Just a wild guess

Stefan: Get out of the car. Unlock the doors!

Maria: I did!

Elena: Stop!

Maria: I can't!

Elena: Oh my god

(They get out of the car)

Liv: I'm sorry, I really am, but we need to make the doppelganger blood useless. One you needs to die

Luke: It doesn't matter which one really

[Whitmore College]

(Enzo appears to Bonnie)

Enzo: When did you plan on telling me, or were you just hoping the darkness would come take me before the awful truth came out? Answer me!

Bonnie: Don't you get it? There is no solution

Enzo: There's always a solution. Your boyfriend came back from the dead, Markos came back from the dead, you came back from the dead!

Bonnie: The Travelers used doppelganger blood in that spell to bring Markos back, which means they basically destroyed the magic that was holding the other side together. It's unraveling, and there is nothing anyone can do to stop it. It is over, Enzo.You're not coming back. Accept it

Enzo: I will accept it when that darkness comes and yanks me into oblivion. I will accept when I no longer exist. I spent over 50 years stuck in a cell, poked, prodded, tortured. By all rights, I had no hope of ever getting out, but I clung to it, so I will accept it when it's done and not a minute prior

(Maria appears)

Bonnie: I know you. You tried to k*ll my boyfriend in the caves

Enzo: What's going on?

Bonnie: A Traveler just d*ed

Maria: Please tell my husband I tried

[Salvatore’s House]

Damon: I'd invite you to stay for dinner but I’m not very familiar with the traveler cuisine although I'm sure it involves lots of trail mix and gruel

Markos: I think I'll take this wall down. I love an open floor plan

Tyler/Julian: Damon. He doesn't know I'm here. Use the element of surprise. Not sure you're clever enough to pull it off. Just thought I'd put it out there

Damon: Well, all I can ask is that you leave me with a couple great bottles of wine. You know, I spent half my life shoplifting the stuff. I'm assuming you want to see the wine cellar

(Damon is in the wine cellar with Markos)

Damon: Ah. Here's something you don't see every day. Bordeaux 1945.I think I won this in a poker game. I don't know. Maybe Stefan brought it back from the w*r. I don't remember

Markos: Where is your brother? I was hoping he'd be here. The doppelgangers seemed to have slipped away without saying good-bye

Damon: Well, that's a good question. Why don't we find out?After you

[Middle of the Road]

Luke: Do it. Liv, come on

Liv: No hard feelings. Just following our coven's orders

Luke: Liv! Liv, what's happening?

Liv: Oh, no

Elena: Your magic sputter out?

Liv: Luke, it's started. The spell's started

[Middle of the Road]

Elena: We trusted you

Liv: It doesn't matter.You're gonna be dead any second

Stefan: Elena!

Elena: Stefan, our rings aren't working

Stefan: Get inside. Run now!

[Mystic Grill]

(Stefan and Elena enter)

Matt: Elena, hey, what happened?

Elena: Our rings aren't working

Matt: What?!

Stefan: Whole town square's filled with Travelers. We got to get out of here

Matt: The tunnels. In the stockroom. Come on. Let's go

[The Caves]

Matt: Elena! What's going on?

Stefan: The spell unravels the witch magic. It's spreading, and without the magic, I'm just someone who was sh*t by his dad

Matt: All right. Come on. Let's keep running. Maybe we'll stay ahead of it

[Salvatore’s House]

(Damon hangs up his phone)

Damon: Well, Stefan isn't picking up, so he might just be out of cell phone minutes

Markos: What kind of game are you playing?

(Julian att*cks him)

Damon: Took you long enough

Tyler/Julian: My fangs. What the hell happened to my fangs?

Damon: Damon .We have a problem

Markos: Now what were you saying about this being your home? Like I said, the spell will continue to unravel spirit magic as it spreads, which means you're not long for this world. The sun's about to set. Feel free to buy yourself a little time to say your good-byes. You and this traitor of yours can try to outrun the spell for a little while anyway

[Middle of Nowhere]

(Damon is walking. A car arrives. It’s Jeremy)

Damon: Little Gilbert, I have never been so happy to see you

Jeremy: Get in

[Whitmore College]

(Caroline is packing)

Caroline: What are we even supposed to take… photos, clothes, hair products? Like any of that matters when we're all dead! Why are you just sitting there?

Bonnie: I'm thinking

Caroline: Well, think while you pack. Death is literally on its way. You said a vampire appeared to you who d*ed on old Miller Road, which means the spell is moving past Mystic Fall. So whatever will fit. The rest I'm sure we'll never see again. Hello, Bonnie! Which part of we're all about to die isn't registering?

Bonnie: I think I know how to get us all back form the other side. I need to find Enzo

(Matt, Elena and Stefan are outside)

Matt: These are all the blood bags I could get my hands on

Elena: Thanks. Between the 4 of us, that will last a day

Matt: Then what?

Stefan: That's a tomorrow problem. Right now, we just got to outrun the spell, regroup in about 1,000 miles, and then figure out a game plan

(Damon and Jeremy arrive. Elena kisses him)

Elena: You ok

Damon: What was that for?

Elena: I had a really crappy day, and I needed it. I thought I was never gonna see you again, and I couldn't think of a worse way to die

Damon: Well, I guess today's your lucky day

Stefan: Jeremy, you head back with Matt. We need eyes and ears in Mystic Falls. You guys take Jeremy's car. I'm gonna wait here for Caroline and Bonnie

Elena: I'll call you in a few hours, Jer

Jeremy: Be careful

[The Other Side]

(Enzo rejoins Maria)

Enzo: Surreal, isn't it?

Maria: Who are you?

Enzo: Dead just like you, but I've got a proposition to get us both out of this place

Maria: What are you talking about?

Enzo: Markos managed to Houdini his way back to the land of the living with some crazy spell. Any chance you know it?

Maria: I know the spell, but I don't know two dozen Travelers willing to overwhelm the anchor

Enzo: I think you underestimate how resourceful we are. Just leave the details to us. What do you say? Interested?

Maria: What the hell is happening?

Enzo: Grab my hand! Hold on! No!

[Whitmore College]

(Enzo appears to Bonnie)

Bonnie: What's wrong?

Enzo: We hit a little snag

(Caroline is with Stefan)

Caroline: Where's Bonnie? She was right behind me

Stefan: I'm gonna find out what's taking so long

Tyler/Julian: I'm looking for Maria. I heard she brought you back to Mystic Falls

Stefan: Uh, yeah, she did

Tyler/Julian: Did she tell you where she was headed? Because she can't stay there. The town's completely overrun. What's the problem? Did she tell you where she was headed or what?

Stefan: Listen. Uh, you're not gonna see Maria again

Tyler/Julian: What are you talking about?

Stefan: She's dead. I'm sorry

Tyler/Julian: Don't touch me

Caroline: It wasn't Stefan's fault

Tyler/Julian: She saved your punk ass

Stefan: I wasn't the one who k*lled her the witches did

Tyler/Julian: Well, someone's gonna have to pay for it

Stefan: Hey, hey, hey, hey. Whoa. I'm in no mood to fight tonight, all right?

Tyler/Julian: Look at me.My wife's dead. I'm in somebody else's body. I've got nowhere to go because my own people are trying to k*ll me

Stefan: Listen. We're gonna find a way to stop this spell. Even if Mystic Falls is gone, we're gonna find a way to save ourselves, all right?

(Julian kills him)

Tyler/Julian: There. Dead doppelganger. Stopped the spell

Caroline: Oh, my God. Oh, my God! No, no

(Bonnie is still with Enzo)

Bonnie: What the hell happened? Maria was the only one who was willing to help us who knew that spell

Enzo: The great beyond happened, and it's gonna keep happening, so we need to find a way out of here and fast

(Bonnie sees Stefan)

Bonnie: Stefan…

Enzo: What ?

Stefan: Bonnie

Bonnie: This—this can't be happening

Stefan: Please tell me that you figured out a way to bring us all back

Bonnie: I lost it. I'm sorry

(Caroline is with Stefan)

Caroline: Somebody, help me! Please. Oh, my God. No. Somebody, help! Somebody, help!