06x16 - The Downward Spiral

Episode transcripts for the TV show "The Vampire Diaries". Aired September 2009 - March 2017.*

Moderator: DelenaForever

Watch/Buy Amazon  Merchandise

A high school girl is torn between two vampire brothers.

06x16 - The Downward Spiral

Post by bunniefuu »

Previously on "the vampire diaries"...

Woman: Who are you?

Bonnie: Who are you?

Damon: Ha ha ha! Oh, you made it!

Bonnie: There. Stop.

Damon: Oh, my God. That's my mother.

Kai: This merge happened with my brother Luke, and I won, so when I absorbed Luke's magic, I must have gotten some of his qualities like empathy.

Caroline: I think we both know I never really hated you. I kissed Stefan. I want to talk to him about it, but if it's bad, I feel like he won't be honest.

Stefan: We'll talk when all of this is over.

Pastor: We are here today to pay our respect to sheriff Elizabeth Forbes.

Elena: You're talking about flipping the humanity switch.

Caroline: I just need the pain to be gone.

Elena: If Stefan had said the right thing earlier, would that have changed your mind?

Caroline: My mom is dead, Elena.

Elena: I'm not gonna let you do this.

(Caroline breaks Elena's neck)

Caroline: (emotionless) That's not your choice to make.

[ SCULL BAR ]

(Music playing. Caroline is sitting at the bar stretches out her hand while holding a empty glass; she is trying to get the bartenders attention)

Caroline: Hello! I'm empty. Fill, please.

Bartender: I think you've had enough.

(Caroline puts her glass down)

Caroline: Look at my face. This is me straining to care less about what you think.

(She stares intently into the bartenders eyes)

Caroline: Nope. I can't.

Bartender: Ok. I'm gonna call you a cab.

(The bartender turns to leave; Caroline grabs his wrist)

Caroline: Here's the thing. My mom just d*ed as in I just put her dead, cancer-riddled body into the ground 4 hours and 32 minutes ago.

Bartender: I'm so sorry for your loss.

Caroline: Oh, no, no, no. I don't care about that. I'm just saying that my feet have been crammed in the world's most uncomfortable heels for an entire day, and your tequila is the only thing that seems to be helping.

Bartender: Ok. I'll grab you another drink.

(He takes her glass and turns around)

Caroline: Thank you.

(Liam comes up to the bar)

Liam: Caroline Forbes, the girl from the swimming hole.

Caroline: Liam. Ha. The boy I totally forgot existed.

Liam: Ouch. And I was just about to tell you how sexy you looked.

Caroline: Heh. You are drunk.

Liam: Slightly buzzed. Getting my ass whupped in shuffleboard upstairs.

Caroline: Oh, lucky you. I stood all day at my mom's funeral. God, you're cute. Are you a doctor yet?

Liam: Hang on. Your mom just d*ed?

Caroline: Do you want to get out of here?

Liam: I...

Caroline: What? Girlfriend? We all know you're not dating Elena Gilbert.

Liam: Why would I be dating Elena?

Caroline: You wouldn't, but even if you were, it wouldn't matter because nothing matters, not... a... thing.

[ EMPTY ROOM ]

(Caroline pushes Liam against the glass, they begin making out. Liam is kissing her neck, Caroline's eyes change she pulls back and Liam sees her eyes and fangs)

Liam: Caroline! Aah!

(Caroline begins to feed on him)

The Vampire Diaries
Season 6 Episode 16
The Downward Spiral
Original air date: March 12, 2015

[ INT. WHITMORE COLLEGE - DORM ROOM/CAROLINE FORBES HOUSE ]

(Elena walks through Caroline's side of the dorm room which has been completely stripped. She is on the phone with Stefan.)

Elena: It's like she never lived here. (she opens and closes several drawers, all of which are empty) How's her house?

Stefan: (he comes down the stairs of an empty house) Totally empty. Caroline took everything but the damn doors off the hinges.

Elena: So what? She just flipped her humanity switch, came back to the dorm, and took all of her clothes (she opens her desk drawer) and thank you notes (she slams it closed) and just left town? I mean, that makes no sense.

Stefan: This is coming from the girl that b*rned her house down.

Elena: Do you think she's trying to cut off all ties to her past?

Stefan: (agitated) I certainly don't think she's having a yard sale, Elena.

Elena: Ok. Why are you getting mad at me? I'm not the one who did this.

Stefan: (Exhales) I know. I'm sorry.

Elena: OK. Look. I'm just gonna look around campus, maybe someone's seen her but just let me know if you find anything, OK?

Stefan: Alright. I will. (they hang up)

(Elena stands there silenty in the dorm room alone when the door opens quietly behind her revealing Bonnie.)

Bonnie: Looks like you could use a friend. (Elena turns at the sound of her voice, stunned)

Elena: Oh, my god. Bonnie? (Bonnie smiles and laughs) H-how are you...

Bonnie: (Walking through the doorway) Alive? (She shrugs) I think I'd be used to this part by now.

Elena: Ohh! (She happily hugs Bonnie)

[ SALVATORE CRYPT ]

(Damon uses a crow bar to pry open the locks of the coffin belonging to his mother. Kai stands behind him leaning against the doorway re-watching the video of Damon's mother and Bonnies' interaction on the camcorder.)

Kai: I can't believe Bonnie made it out. Actually, I can. She's plucky. Hey, do you need help? Oh. Before you answer that, I'd rather not. (Kai walks toward him) I just keep experiencing these pangs of guilt watching you. Feelings are hard.

Damon: So's the end of this crowbar.

Kai: (laughs) I'm just saying. Digging up mommy's grave? That's dark, even for me, and totally unnecessary. Damon, Bonnie saw her alive in a 1903 prison world. It's... it's on camera. You want to watch it again?

Damon: My mother d*ed of Consumption in 1858. We did not go through the trouble of moving this thing to the family crypt only to find out that she's not even in here.

Kai: Oh, so you just... You just called me here because you needed a friend? No. You wanted to know if it was possible for her to exist in another prison world. To which I responded, "yes," to which you responded with denial.

Damon: Whatever or whoever's on that tape, it's not her.

Kai: Then who is it?

Damon: I don't know. A ghost? Maybe she has an evil Gemini twin.

Kai: (laughs) Nice.

Damon: If my mother was imprisoned in 1903, she'd be in her 70s.

Kai: Not if she were like you.

Damon: (Turns around angry) I know my mother. She's not a vampire. She is not in a prison world. She d*ed of Consumption in 1858. (He throws the crowbar, it clangs on the ground and he stares at the old coffin)

Kai: Uh, if you're so sure of that why haven't you opened the coffin yet? (Damon flips off the lid which smashes on the ground to reveal an empty coffin) Congratulations. Everything you know about your mom is wrong. (Kai pats him on the shoulder and leaves. Damon stares at the empty coffin.)

[ COFFEE HOUSE ]

(Enzo sits at a table on the 2nd floor drinking a cup of tea, from down below Sarah Salvatore takes photos of him with her camera, trying to hide from him. Enzo casually glances down, amused and purposely reveals the veins from under his eyes as Sarah gets her sh*ts. She zooms in on the picture she had just taken of his veins. When she looks back up to his table he is gone.)

Enzo: (Standing behind her) In the future, (she jumps) focus on my left side. It's far more attractive.

Sarah: (Turning to face him) Oh, my god.

Enzo: We've met before.

Sarah: Yes. You saved my friend Matt with your blood.

Enzo: Oh, yes. Uh, Sarah, right? Care to join me for a cup of tea? My best angle's up close and personal. (Sarah motions for him to join her) Brave. I like that. (He says as he sits across from her)

[ DORM ROOM - WHITMORE COLLEGE ]

(Elena takes out a bottle of champagne as Bonnie goes through her drawers pulling out some clothing.)

Bonnie: My not flannel blouse, my not flannel T-shirts, and... ooh... ohh... I really missed my not flannel V-neck.

Elena: Suck it, 1994 (She pops open the bottle of champagne which causes Bonnie to jump) Whew! Ha! So I bought this bottle of champagne (she pours two glasses) the same day that Damon and I thought we were gonna rescue you, but obviously, we didn't, so I couldn't drink it, so this is to you. (She makes a toast, which is actually really depressing) You were stuck there all by yourself while we were back here, living our lives. And this is the worst toast ever.

Bonnie: I'm back home. That's all that matters. Cheers (they clink their glasses together and drink, Bonnie downs her glass quickly).

Elena: OK.

Bonnie: Can we talk about the fact that I drove Jeremy away to art school? (Elena pours her another glass)

Elena: So does that make you his muse? Because eww.

Bonnie: Do me a favor. Don't tell him I'm back yet.

Elena: Wait. You... you haven't called him yet?

Bonnie: I just... I want to give him a chance at normalcy (she takes a seat on the bed) before we just drag him back into all of this, you know?

Elena: (Surprised) Yeah. No. I-I do, too, but, Bonnie, you should at least tell him you're OK.

Bonnie: And I will. I'll tell him. Coming back to life is complicated. Trust me. I've done it before. Besides, we have a roommate without her humanity and in severe need of an intervention. (They turn as the door opens, Caroline walks in with several shopping bags)

Elena: Caroline. Um, you're here.

Caroline: And you're perceptive. (She walks right past Bonnie without even a glance setting her bags on her bed) Ahh.

Elena: Uh, what are you doing?

Caroline: Starting over. New everything! (taking the items out of her bags) New sheets, new clothes. Hey. I even got us a new blow-dryer. (she says turning to face them) Oh, my God! Bonnie's back. Hi. I thought you were trapped in 1994.

Bonnie: I got out.

Caroline: Huh. (she turns back to her bags, not carring in the least bit to see Bonnie)

Elena: Uh, we... we've been worried about you, Care.

Caroline: You mean, you were worried about those around me, like if I k*lled them. OK. Funny story. You remember Liam? (to Bonnie) Oh. Elena dated this premed hottie but then realized she still had feelings for Damon, so she compelled him to forget that they ever had a thing.

Elena: Caroline, what did you do to Liam?

Caroline: I ate him, (flash to the scene of Caroline biting Liam) and he was delicious. (Elena is shocked and angry, staring at her) I mean, you know how cute guys just naturally taste better?

Bonnie: You k*lled Elena's ex?

Caroline: (Scoffs) OK. Can I just tell my story, please? (to Elena) Remind me why we're glad she's back again.

Elena: Please tell me Liam is not dead.

Caroline: Fine. So I was feeding...

[ FLASHBACK: EXT. THE SCULL BAR ]

(Caroline is attacking Liam; her face is covered in blood and Liams' eyes are wide in fear, he struggles and gasps for breath; gurgling.)

Caroline (V.O.): .. and then that little voice inside my head that tells me to stop, he never piped up.

Caroline: (To Liam) More, Please. (Liam collapses him Carolines' arms, she catches him) Whoa! (scoffs) Well, this is awkward. Ugh. God. (She leans him up against a wall; and catches a glimpse of her necklace which has blood on it) Oh. You got blood on my necklace! Now I'm gonna have to clean it.

Liam: What are you doing to me?

Caroline: Well, I was going to drain of your blood, but now I'm not really in the mood to drag your corpse through the woods, definitely not in these heels. I could throw you in a dumpster, but then everyone's always being found in dumpsters, and since I was the last person to be seen with you, I'll be questioned by the police, and what if one of them reminds me of my dead mother?

Liam: What are you talking about?

Caroline: You, Liam, just got complicated. (she grins)

[ END OF FLASHBACK ]

[ WHITMORE COLLEGE - DORM ROOM - PRESENT ]

Elena: So you didn't k*ll him because it would be inconvenient?

Caroline: Elena, I shut off my humanity. I didn't turn into an idiot. The last thing I want to do is give you a reason to ruin my life. (She drinks straight from the champagne bottle)

Bonnie: Huh. It's so weird. It's like she's Caroline, but she's not.

Caroline: Oh, Bonnie, how we all just missed your commentary. Anyway, in return for my good behavior, I want a year where I don't have to feel pain or grief or remorse. You're not gonna lock me in a cell and dry me out, and you're definitely not gonna try to trigger some latent emotion, hoping to snap my humanity back on.

Elena: So all you want is for us to leave you alone, and then you promise not to k*ll anyone?

Caroline: That's all I want. Now granted, if anyone tries anything to flip my switch back on — and I mean anything — (she says very seriously) I'll become your worst nightmare. (Elena and Bonnie exchange glances) Great! I'm gonna get a latte. (She grabs her purse) See you! (And walks past them, leaving them there very confused and shocked to her new behavior).

[ SALVATORE BOARDING HOUSE/WHITMORE HOSPITAL HALLWAYS ]

(Damon leans against the living room wall on the phone with Stefan. While Stefan walks through the hallway of Whitmore Hospital, the scene switches back and forth between their phone call.)

Damon: (Amused) So St. Caroline keeps her halo even with no humanity.

Stefan: Yeah, until she snaps and strangles somebody with it.

Damon: Well, even if she does... (Crash!) (Damon turns around to see Kai going through some antiques in the house) Could be good for her, you know, to blow off some steam, thin the herd. Getting awfully crowded around here.

Stefan: Damon, if she kills somebody, I...

Damon: (interrupts) It's not your fault, Stefan. By the time you figured out how you felt about her, it was too late. She made her choice.

Stefan: Just do me a favor. Check around Mystic Falls, see if anybody's missing.

Damon: Will do, brother. (Damon hangs up) A little later. (He turns to see Kai pouring himself a drink)

Kai: Yeah. Why tell your brother your mother's still alive? No, but I get it. Mom's in a prison world and therefore an evil psychopath. Don't want to ruin little bro's perfect mommy memory.

Damon: I'll tell him as soon as I know the truth.

Kai: The truth.

Damon: Which is why you're still here. Your sister sent me and Elena back to 1994. You can send me back to 1903.

Kai: Technically, yes, I am able to do that, but I'll need the ascendant for the 1903 prison world.

Damon: Oh. As the newly elected President of the Gemini freaks, I assume you know where to get it. (Kai shrugs) So get it.

Kai: It's my pleasure. (He sips his drink loudly and stares up at Damon)

Damon: (Rolling his eyes knowingly) You want something. (Damon sits down across from him) Shocker. (He replies sarcastically) All right.

Kai: (Leaning forward) Well, ever since you told me Bonnie was back, I, uh, I can't stop thinking about her, all right, what I did, how she is. It's annoying really. (He exhales) Look. I need to see her. I need to apologize, and you're gonna make that happen.

[ COFFEE HOUSE ]

(Enzo sits comfortably across from Sarah with his feet up on the table sipping his tea as Sarah questions him.)

Sarah: So that's it? Enzo? That's all I get?

Enzo: A name is a very personal thing, Sarah. See? Doesn't that feel good?

Sarah: I have pictures of you, your veins doing weird, nonhuman things. (Enzo chuckles as Sarah holds up her memory card to prove it) They're all on this little card.

Enzo: You went from cowering in a corner to overt blackmail in the span of an hour. Impressive.

I know want to know more about you.

Enzo: Fair enough. (He leans forward, setting his tea on the table) One... (At vampire speed he grabs the memory card from her hand) I'm very fast. Two, (He breaks the memory card in half) I'm very strong.

Sarah: (She throws up her hands, annoyed) That was, like, 70 bucks.

Enzo: 3, I'm very rich.

Sarah: (Setting down her camera) Rich, strong, fast, you have weird veins, you can heal people with your blood. What are you?

Enzo: (Scoffs) This is a joke, right?

Sarah: Does it look like I'm joking?

Enzo: Oh. You want to hear me say it. Fine. I'm a vampire.

Sarah: (Not the least bit phased by his words) And?

Enzo: Perhaps you didn't hear me. I said I'm a vampire. You know, Anne Rice, Dracula, that dreadful "Twilight" series.

Sarah: No. No. I know what they are. I just thought there'd be more to it.

Caroline: (Walking over, interrupting their conversation) It's OK. The whole vampire thing is over anyway.

Enzo: Caroline.

Caroline: Who is this nice girl we're divulging all of our deepest, darkest secrets to?

Sarah: I'm Sarah.

Caroline: Sarah. Photographer Sarah. Stefan's...

Enzo: (interrupts) (to Sarah) Darling... (She turns toward him and he compels her) You need a drink from the bar. (Sarah gets up and walks away. Enzo watches her leave then turns his attention to Caroline)

Caroline: It is so nice not to care what you're up to with that poor girl. (She laughs) Old me would have been in such a moral quandary right now.

Enzo: (scoffs) Old you? (Caroline grins and realization hits Enzo, he rollls his eyes) Oh, you didn't.

Caroline: (happily) I did right after my mom's funeral. Thanks for coming by the way. Kidding! I don't really care about that either.

Enzo: You're a laugh riot, aren't you?

Caroline: I'm actually a little bored, which is why I'm recruiting cute boys to come to Whitmore's warehouse party tonight. You like to dance, right?

Enzo: Yeah, I love it.

Caroline: See you there. (She walks past him, Enzo turns and watches her leave).

[ WHITMORE HOSPITAL ]

(Stefan leans against the wall outside a cubicle; Liam comes out moments later.)

Liam: Stefan. Hey, man.

Stefan: Hey. I'm gonna ask you a couple questions, and I need you to be completely honest with me.

Liam: (Compelled) I can be completely honest with you.

Stefan: Good. (Stefan leads him into a room and closes the door behind them) Do you remember being around Caroline last night?

Liam: Uh, (He grins and laughs) heh. Yeah. Kind of hard to forget.

Stefan: What is that supposed to mean?

Liam: We made out pretty hardcore.

Stefan: Was there any biting involved?

Liam: Uh... I guess. I mean, I-I like to bite the lower lip a little bit, (He replies uncomfortably) but I-I th... I think it's kind of weird you're asking me these questions.

Stefan: No. I meant, did she bite you?

Liam: Not that I remember. Are... are you into her or something? (Stefan sighs) Because, like, I thought she was single. I didn't know you two were, like, a...

Stefan: She is. We're not.

Liam: Great! Can I get out of here, please, because, like, I'm late for this party, and you're really weirding me out.

Stefan: What party?

Liam: Uh, warehouse party off campus. Caroline will be there if you want to watch. (He grins and pats Stefan on the shoulder. Stefan rolls his eyes as Liam leaves)

(Stefan pulls out his phone to make a call; Elena's voice answers on the other end.)

Elena: Hey, Stefan.

Stefan: Hey. Uh, listen. I never thought I would ask this, but, um... Do you want to go to a rave?

[ WAREHOUSE PARTY ]

(Loud music and strobe lights are blaring from the warehouse. Two security guards stand outside the entrance as Bonnie and Elena approach. They pull back a white sheet as the girls enter a full blown party. Girls with painted faces and skimpy outfits; shirtless guys and glowstick jewlery; techno music, everyone cheering loudly; laughing, dancing, talking, and alot of drinking.)

Elena: OK. Not exactly the welcome home party I was planning for you. I think we should split up and look for Caroline. (She yells over the noise)

Bonnie: (Unable to hear her) Maybe we should split up and look for Caroline. (She yells back over the noise)

Elena: (Grins) Good idea. (she mouths the words) Good luck. (Elena turns and makes her way through the crowd)

(Elena makes her way through the crowd of ravers and finally spots Caroline relaxed and having a good time, dancing with a guy. Caroline spots Elena and purposely vamps out exposing her fangs and veins under her eyes. She leans in toward the guys' neck but as Elena starts forward Caroline stops and looks up at her returning to normal with a devilish grin on her face.)

Caroline: (Whispers to Elena) I'm fine. (She winks and goes back to dancing)

(Elena sighs as a shirtless guy approaches her and starts to dance up on her. Elena rolls her eyes and pushes past him. Meanwhile Bonnie is also making her way through the crowd when a guy turns to her with a smile.)

Guy: Want to dance? (He asks handing her a blue glowstick)

Bonnie: I'm actually looking for someone. (She says, putting the glowstick in his shirt pocket)

Guy: This is a party. Have fun! (He takes her by the hand and pulls her toward the dance floor; he dances but Bonnie just stands there not in the mood; the guys reaches out toward Bonnie but she stops him)

Bonnie: Hey. Down, boy.

Guy: Just dancing.

Bonnie: Look. I really have to go find my friend.

Guy: I can't help it. You're hot. (He pulls Bonnie toward him and kisses her neck, Bonnie brings her hand up to his and uses her magic to burn him) Aah, aah, aah, aah, aah! (He cries in pain, pulling his hand away) What the hell did you do?

Bonnie: Can't help it. I'm hot. (He stares at Bonnie shocked as she walks past him)

(Elena finds Stefan and they discuss his encounter with Liam from earlier.)

Elena: Did he have any bite marks on him?

Stefan: No, which means she must have given him her blood.

Elena: And he doesn't remember her feeding on him at all.

Stefan: He remembers them making out in graphic detail, but that's about it.

Elena: So that means she's covering her tracks. It's very thorough. It's actually really good.

Stefan: No, it's not good. It means that she's gonna use him as a human blood bag every time she gets hungry.

Elena: Or she'll drink from the blood bags in our fridge that she just restocked.

Stefan: Wait a minute. Why are you defending her?

Elena: I'm just saying she hasn't actually hurt anyone, and there's no bodies that have shown up at the med center, no students are missing. What if she actually has this under control? You know, we give her her year, she's happy, and then...

Stefan: And then what? She magically flips on her humanity switch and starts feeling everything that she's been putting off. Caroline is going to snap, and when it does, it's gonna be my fault because I am the reason that she did this.

Elena: Pain is the reason that she did this.

Stefan: Her mother d*ed, her world was turning upside down. She asked me one simple question. All I had to do was tell her the truth, and I didn't. Now look me in the eye and tell me that I couldn't have stopped this. (Elena sighs and nods)

Elena: What's your plan?

(Stefan joins Caroline at the bar with two sh*t glasses and they drink as Bonnie continues to make her way through the crowd uncomfortable. Her cell phone rings, she pulls it out to see Damon on the caller ID and answers relieved.)

Bonnie: (Answering) Can't believe I'm about to say this, but I'm glad you called.

[ SALVATORE BOARDING HOUSE/WAREHOUSE PARTY ]

(The scene switches between the Salvatore Boarding House and the Warehouse party for Bonnie and Damon's telephone conversation.)

Damon: Uh-oh! Caroline go off the rails? If so, I called it.

Bonnie: Gloating in one of my best friend's times of need? It's weird that I miss you.

Damon: Bonnie, I thought I was clear. Our relationship only exists within the confines of 1994. (Bonnie smiles)

Bonnie: You think one phone call makes us friends?

Damon: You don't have to pretend, bon. I'm like a fever you can't shake.

Bonnie: Yeah. Yeah. A disease.

Damon: You ok?

Bonnie: Well, if scorching some douchebag with my magic is ok, then, yeah, peachy. When you came back, did you just slide right back into your old life?

Damon: Oh, you mean the one where my brother was an auto mechanic and my girlfriend forgot she loved me? Yep.

Bonnie: Um... why, um, why did you call me?

Damon: So... teensy favor. I don't know if you know this, but when Kai merged with Luke, he went through a metamorphosis. He went from a sociopathic caterpillar to a slightly less evil butterfly.

Bonnie: Yeah. And anyone who believes that is an idiot. Please don't ever repeat that name to me again, ok?

Damon: Yeah. Ok. Heh. Already forgot about it.

Bonnie: What was the favor?

Damon: Don't worry about it. I'll figure it out on my own. Happy raving.

Kai: Hey. Who was that?

Damon: Bonnie. She doesn't want to do it. (He turns to face Kai) Doesn't believe there's a new you.

Kai: But there is a new me. (Damon shrugs and Kai sighs) You... you explained it to her so she would understand, right? Small words, easy to digest.

Damon: Not gonna happen. End of story.

Kai: Huh. Shame... (He walks past Damon toward the fireplace) Because mama Salvatore's story is pretty fantastic. (He says with his eyes staring intently at the flames)

Damon: What are you talking about?

Kai: I have a strong lead on the ascendant. (He turns back to Damon) I checked the Gemini archives. Lily was captured on a dock in New York City in 1903. What if she was on her way here for you? I mean, it makes sense. She... she'd just landed from Europe, where... (he stops)

Damon: (staring at him wide eyed) Where what? Spit it out.

Kai: (Grabbing his throat) Sorry (He says in a raspy voice)

Damon: (Narrowing his eyes) You're not gonna tell me, are you?

Kai: (Coughs) No. Sorry. My throat just got really sore. I'm gonna go find a lozenge. (He clears his throat) Maybe Bonnie will change her mind by the time I find one. (He grins and brushes past Damon)

[ WAREHOUSE PARTY ]

(Caroline and Stefan continue to drink at the bar as they watch the ravers.)

Caroline: (Judging an outfit) Well, that's certainly a look.

Stefan: Don't be jealous. (Caroline laughs and Stefan smiles)

Caroline: You know, you should smile more. You're hot.

Stefan: Oh, thank you.

Caroline: And obviously you're here to babysit me, but I've had less attractive babysitters. Granted, they were old women, and I was 8.

Stefan: I'm not here to babysit you, Caroline.

Caroline: Yes, you are. You, Elena, Bonnie, you don't think that I can live a normal, humanityless vampire existence without k*lling anyone, and you feel guilty for being such a royal ass at my mom's funeral.

Stefan: You're right. I was, and then when I came to apologize and tell you how I really felt, you were gone.

Caroline: And now I don't care.

Stefan: But I do, so let me tell you how I really feel.

Caroline: I said I don't care.

Stefan: (Ignoring her) I like you, Caroline.

Caroline: Stop.

Stefan: I don't know when it became more than friendship, but it did, and it scared me, so I-I pushed it away, but here we are.

Caroline: (laughs, amused) Ha! Ha ha ha! Wow! See? That wasn't so hard, was it? Only took a couple of years, cancer to devour my mom, me to flip my humanity off, but you finally spit it out.

Stefan: That's good. Anger. That means you want to feel.

Caroline: No, Stefan. You know what? It just means that I'm pissed, so leave me alone. (She turns to walk away but Stefan stops her)

Stefan: Hey, hey. (He pulls her toward him) Let it in. It will hurt, and you'll want to die, but I will be here. I will help you through this, but you have to give me a chance. (He reaches out his hand and caresses her cheek) Please. (Caroline stares at him as if she's considering this for a moment) Come back. (She closes her eyes and leans her face into his hand for a second)

Caroline: (Snapping her eyes open and staring at him sadistically) You shouldn't have done that. (She pushed his hand away and leaves him alone at the bar disappearing into the crowd of ravers)

(Caroline catches up with Liam in a hallway)

Caroline: Hey! Where have you been?

Liam: The bathroom line was, like, a mile long. I mean, look at all these crazy people here.

Caroline: Wow! You are so boring. No wonder Elena didn't pick you. Honest truth. How good are you at surgery?

Liam: I'm a premed sophomore. I'm terrible.

Caroline: Perfect! Come with me. (She grabs his hand and leads him away from the party)

[ EXT. WAREHOUSE PARTY ]

(Caroline leans up against one of the cars as headlights approach. Enzo parks his car, turns off the ignition and gets out slamming his car door and walking toward her.)

Caroline: There you are. Finally! Where's your date? What, you don't want to show her off in front of Stefan?

Enzo: I'm afraid she doesn't find me nearly as fascinating as I do.

Caroline: But you have an accent. Anything you say is automatically fascinating.

Enzo: I'm afraid we found the exception. Told her I was a vampire, and her eyes glazed over literally. Pure and utter disinterest.

Caroline: (breaks into laughter) Ha! Ha ha ha!

Enzo: What's funny?

Caroline: Stefan's been looking out for Sarah ever since she was a baby, which means he will protect her at any cost.

Enzo: Ok.

Caroline: So what do you do when you want someone to have nothing to do with vampires?

Enzo: (Smiles) Heh. Compel them not to care about anything to do with vampires. Caroline Forbes, you're a genius.

Caroline: Thank you. (She seductively puts her hands on him) Now why don't I show you some of my other talents? (She reaches her hands into his jacket and down his waist) Hmm?

Enzo: (Pulling away) Sorry, luv. It's not as much fun when you're not really you. (He walks past her, but she is not bothered by the rejection. She grins and looks down at his cell phone which she had just stolen, she scrolls through the contacts and finds the name she is looking for. Sarah Salvatore.)

[ INT. WAREHOUSE PARTY ]

(Bonnie pushes past the crowd of ravers toward a hallway and leans up against the wall as Damon enters.)

Damon: Hey.

Bonnie: Hey! Hey. What are you doing here?

Damon: Don't freak out, but... ahem. (He clears his throat and Kai walks out from around the corner)

Kai: Hi. (Bonnie is immediately alarmed)

Damon: Just get this over with. (He grumbles to Kai)

Kai: Um...

Damon: Spit it out.

Kai: Um... I wanted...

[ FLASHBACK, 1994 PRISON WORLD ]

(Kai and Bonnie are in the caves, Kai sh**t Bonnie in the chest with an arrow.)

Bonnie: Unh!

Kai (V.O.): To apologize...

(Bonnie is in Damon's car but is unable to start the engine because Kai shows up in the backseat and grabs her from behind. She tries to fight him but is unable to.)

Boonie: Aah!

Kai (V.O.): For anything I did...

(Kai and Bonnie are in Portland outside his family home by the trunk where Jo hid her magic in a Kn*fe. Kai holds the Kn*fe in his hand then stabs Bonnie in the stomach with it. She gasps and gurgles.)

Bonnie: Aah!

Kai (V.O.): That hurt you.

[ END FLASHBACK ]

[ WAREHOUSE PARTY - PRESENT ]

(Bonnie stares at Kai wide eyed unable to speak)

Kai: Bon? Did you hear what I said?

Bonnie: If I see your face again, I will melt it off. (She threatens him, then st*lks past the both of them, angrily using her magic to open the door and stomps down the steps)

Kai: I imagined that going a little differently.

(In the crowd of ravers, Elena calls Bonnie on her cell phone and leaves a message.)

Elena: Bonnie, hey. It's me. Where'd you go? Call me. (She hangs up, Stefan comes up behind her)

Stefan: Hey. It worked.

Elena: It worked? You're Caroline's emotional trigger?

Stefan: I saw it in her eyes. She's still in there. We just have to go find her.

Elena: Wait. She's gone? Stefan, she made it very clear that if we mess with her she's gonna retaliate.

Stefan: Then we find her, we lock her up, and I push until I break through. I can get her back, Elena.

Elena: Ok. Ok. Let's go find her.

(Before they can go to look for Caroline, Stefans' phone rings. He looks down to see Enzo calling in.)

Stefan: (answering) What, you really think I want to hear from you right now?

Caroline: Aw. Is someone having a bad night? (Elena and Stefan are equally surprised to hear Caroline's voice on Enzo's phone)

Stefan: What are you doing with Enzo's phone?

[ COFFEE HOUSE ]

(Caroline is alone in the coffee house, she sits up on the bar top.)

Caroline: I stole it, but that's not the question that you should be asking right now. You should be asking "why does Enzo have Sarah Salvatore's number in his phone," or maybe "where is Sarah Salvatore," and ultimately, "what the hell are you going to do to her, Caroline?"

(The door to the coffee house opens, Sarah Salvatore walks in.)

Sarah: Hello? Enzo?

Caroling: (British accent) Over here, luv.

Sarah: Oh. Um, actually, I'm looking for...

Caroline: Enzo. Yeah. I heard you. He's not here right now, but I am.

Stefan: Caroline, what the hell are you doing with Sarah?

Caroline: There! An appropriate question. Thank you for asking. As a matter of fact, I'm going to k*ll her. (Caroline hangs up, dropping the phone onto the bar)

[ WHITMORE COLLEGE, DORM ROOM ]

(Bonnie angrily storms into her room room throwing the door closed and using her magic to ignte the fire in the fire place. Damon enters behind her cautiously.)

Damon: Hey. Calm down. It's just me. He's not here. Bonnie, this is about my mom. Kai knows a lot of stuff about my mom.

Bonnie: I don't care. I told you I didn't want to see him again, and you did it anyway.

Damon: I know, but, Bonnie...

Bonnie: (interrupting) Was I unclear?

Damon: He just wanted to talk.

Bonnie: Now I want to talk. So listen.

Damon: I get that he hurt you.

Bonnie: I said listen! (She uses her magic against Damon)

Damon: Unh! (Damon clutches his chest)

Bonnie: I want you to feel what I felt.

Damon: Ow!

Bonnie: You were there (Blood soaks through Damon's shirt from a wound that Bonnie made appear) the first time he hurt me, an arrow through the stomach, but you weren't there for what happened next, when he chased me through the hospital, (Damon gasps and groans) when he strangled me, (Bonnie uses her magic against him again; Damon chokes and grabs his throat) he drugged me, he tied me up, and he stuck me in a trunk, and then suddenly, he wants to be nice, huh, start over.

Damon: Bonnie.

Bonnie: Sound familiar? He lied, and then he stabbed he again! (She uses her magic against him again to make another wound)

Damon: Unh! (Damon clutches his stomach as blood pours out)

Bonnie: Then came the worst part because when it was all over he left me alone... (She says in tears) And I wish I could share what that feels like, but I can't. (She releases him, he gasps and coughs) I want you to get out.

Damon: Bonnie, I'm sorry.

Bonnie: (She screams at him in rage) Get out! (He leaves as she turns back to the fire)

[ COFFEE HOUSE ]

(At the bar, Caroline is making margaritas in the blender as Stefan and Elena arrive quickly in search of Sarah.)

Caroline: Hey! I'm making margaritas. You want one?

Elena: Where's Sarah?

Caroline: I see Stefan filled you in on his big secret.

Stefan: Where is she, Caroline?

Caroline: Not here. That would be stupid. (She says as she preps the glasses with salt) She's with Liam. Say hi! (She says looking over to Enzo's phone which is on speaker with Sarah's name flashing in)

Liam (on phone): (shaky and in a panic) Hello?

Caroline: Sarah is helping Liam with his surgical skills.

[ WHITMORE HOSPITAL/COFFEE HOUSE ]

(The scene switches between Whitmore Hospital and the coffee house)

(Sarah is restrained to a metal operating table, somewhere in Whitmore Hospital. Liam stands over her with a scapel in a panic. He doesn't want to do it but he has no control. Sarah is terrified and in a panic as she struggles against the restraints begging for her life.)

Sarah: Please! Please don't hurt me!

Liam: I don't want to do this! (He screams)

Caroline: Duh. You're probably gonna get expelled and then found guilty of m*rder. That's why I compelled you to do what I wanted.

Sarah: No, please! Please!

Stefan: Look, Caroline. I'm sorry. I shouldn't have pushed you.

Caroline: Obviously. I was pretty clear about that.

Elena: Look. I know that you can't feel it right now, Care, but if you k*ll Sarah, it's gonna haunt you forever. Trust me. I did it, and it sucks. (Caroline pours the margarita mix into the glasses)

Caroline: I compelled a student to perform surgery on Stefan's niece, and you found a way to make this about you? God, you truly have a gift, Elena. (She laughs)

Stefan: Look at me, Caroline. What do you want me to do? You want me to leave town, I'll leave town. I'll stay as far away from you as possible. Just please let her go.

Caroline: That's the problem, Stefan. It doesn't really matter how far away you are. You're still you... Kind, loyal, (She puts little umbrellas into the margaritas) who with one look can convince me that I'm not crazy. That's the Stefan that I fell for, and that's the Stefan who can bring me back.

Stefan: k*lling Sarah isn't gonna change that.

Caroline: I know. That's why I'd rather just change you. Let go of that part of you, Stefan.

Elena: Caroline, what are you talking about?

Caroline: If Stefan wants to save Sarah's life, (She raises up two glasses of margaritas) all he has to do is shut his humanity off. Why are you both looking at me like that? Do I need to repeat myself?

Elena: He is not turning his humanity off.

Caroline: (Setting the glasses down on the bar) Elena, Stefan unleashed himself from you months ago. He can think for himself now.

Stefan: It's not gonna happen, Caroline.

Caroline: (Picking up the phone) Hey, Liam.

Sarah: No! Please! No, no!

Caroline: Cut out her spleen.

Elena: Caroline!

Caroline: Relax. She can live without a spleen. You know, it's really the infection you should be worried about.

Sarah: Please don't hurt me! No! No! No!

Liam: I'm so sorry. (She screams as Liam uses the scapel to cut against her skin, blood oozes out)

Stefan: Hey, Liam. Remember that conversation we had earlier about being honest? Where are you?

Caroline: Don't answer him, Liam.

Liam: Whitmore Medical.

Caroline: Hey!

Sarah: Please don't hurt me! (Liam slices her again with the scapel and she screams) Aah!

Stefan: (To Elena) Go! Get Sarah out of there. (Elena vamp speeds away)

Caroline: Good luck getting there in time.

Caroline: How's it going, Liam?

Sarah: (screaming) Please, Liam! No, no!

Liam: (His eyes are wide in terror) I think I'm gonna go into pediatrics.

Caroline: You know what? I changed my mind. Leave the spleen. (Liam relaxes taking a breath) Let's be a little bit more symbolic.

Sarah: (screaming) Please no!

Caroline: Take out her heart.

(Sarah screams and Stefan vamp speeds toward the bar he grabs Caroline and throws her across the room; she crashes into a table. The phone slides across the floor. Stefan goes for the phone but Caroline trips him with the leg of the table. Stefan tries to reach for the phone but Caroline stabs him in the back then reaches over him and grabs the phone out of Stefan's grasp.)

Caroline: Liam, you still with me?

[ SALVATORE BOARDING HOUSE ]

(Damon sits by the fire with a drink in hand as the door opens, Kai enters.)

Damon: I'm not in the mood for the preamble. Just tell me why my mom's stuck in 1903.

Kai: You're not bringing your mom back.

Damon: That's odd. (He says turning to face Kai) Sounds like you just asked me to k*ll you.

Kai: You requested a truncated version, so I respectfully jumped to the end.

Damon: (He gets up) And why aren't we bringing her back?

Kai: Because there are only two prison worlds in existence, mine, created in 1994, and the one created in 1903 for the sole purpose of locking up your mom and her closet full of crazy pants.

(Damon att*cks Kai at vampire speed he grabs him and pins him up against the wall.)

Damon: (enraged) You said we'd get her back!

Kai: (Calm) I'm telling you, as a semi-sane person, you really don't want that.

Damon: And I'm telling you as a vampire who eats people you really don't want to piss me off!

Kai: I'm trying to save your life.

Damon: Tell me how to get her back!

Kai: Your mom's a ripper, ok? She's a ripper. (Damon releases him, stunned) She turned in 1858, faked her death, went to Europe, where she went a little nuts.

Damon: (Whispers) No.

Kai: Bodies piled up, she moved, k*lled some more until she had to move again. They think 3,000 in total.

Damon: (Whispers) That's enough.

Kai: And for some reason, my coven made it their duty to stop her, so they cut her off at New York Harbor before she could tear through Manhattan. Granted... heh... By the time they got the ship, they found everybody dead. It was so gruesome they had to burn it there at the harbor.

Damon: I said that's enough! (He screams)

Kai: (quietly) I guess I should show myself out. (He leaves and Damon falls back onto the floor devastated by this revelation)

[ INT. WHITMORE COLLEGE - DORM ROOM ]

(Bonnie calls Jeremy on his cell phone but gets his voice mail.)

Jeremy (voice-mail): Hey. It's Jeremy. Leave a message.

Bonnie: Hey, Jeremy. It's Bonnie. It's a really long story, but I'm back. Uh, I had this whole plan to drive out to new Mexico and surprise you, I don't know, show up as one of the models in your drawing class or something. (She laughs) Um... listen, Jer. I'm not sure I'm still the same Bonnie you want to be with. That place changed me, and I don't know if I'm scared of myself or actually kind of like the new me. If it's ok with you, I think I'm just gonna figure me out, and then I promise to come visit you. I hope you're well. Ok. Bye, Jer. (She hangs up and looks at herself in the mirror, lifting up her shirt to look at her scars)

[ WHITMORE HOSPITAL ]

(At the hospital red and blue ambulance lights flash through the windows, the sounds of sirens blaring and buzzing; a woman's voice on the PA system, the footsteps and chatters of doctors, nurses and patients in the dark hallways. Elena rushes past them.)

Sarah: Aah! No! Please! (Liam cuts her shirt open) Liam! Liam, no! Aah!

Liam: You're marking it worse. You'll only make it worse.

Sarah: You'll k*ll me! Liam, I'll die! Liam! (He shoves a cloth in her mouth to stop the screaming)

(Elena heads up the stairs, Sarah struggles against the restraints in a full panic as Liam picks up a drill; Sarah's eyes are wide in absolute terror.)

Liam: I never used one of these before. I'm so sorry. (Sarah screams)

[ COFFEE HOUSE/WHITMORE HOSPITAL ]

(On the floor of the bar Stefan gasps as Caroline stands over him.)

Caroline: You don't realize it, but this really does hurt me to watch. (She sighs) I'm pathetic. (Into her Phone) Liam, she stopped screaming. Is she...

Liam: I think she passed out.

Caroline: (Sigh) k*ll her. Call me when it's done. (She hangs up the phone and shoves it in her back pocket)

(Stefan's phone rings, she bends down to pick it up and pulls the stake out of his back at the same time, he grunts.)

Caroline: (Stepping over him) Stefan's phone.

Elena: (Racing through the hospital hallways) Caroline, where are they?

Caroline: Hey. You're gonna be a doctor, right? How long can one live without their heart? Maybe, like, 3 seconds tops? (Stefan gets to his feet)

Stefan: She's gonna let her die, Elena.

Elena: I can't find them anywhere. We're running out of time! (Caroline turns to Stefan)

Stefan: Bring me back.

Elena: What? Stefan, w-what do you mean? Bring you back from where?

Stefan: Just remember to bring me back.

(Caroline pulls the phone away from her ear, keeping her eyes locked on Stefan she grins.)

Elena: No. No. No, no, no, no. Stefan! No! Stefan, no!

(Stefan takes a deep breath and closes his eyes. Caroline watches amused. Seconds later Stefan opens his eyes again. Changed. Caroline smiles and hangs up the phone.)

Elena: (Looking at her phone) Stefan. No.

(Elena hears a clatter coming from one of the rooms, she runs toward the noise to find Liam covered in blood, an open wound on Sarah's chest, and bloody instruments all over the floor but the job isn't done yet.)

Elena: Oh, my God.

Liam: Elena, I'm so sorry. I don't know what I'm doing.

Elena: Just stop. (Elena bites into her wrist and feeds Sarah her blood)

Liam: (upset) I have to take out her heart. (Liam goes for Sarah's chest but Elena stops him by breaking both of his hands) Ah! (He grunts and falls to the ground; Elena continues to feed Sarah her blood until Sarah starts to cough and becomes concious again)

Elena: (relieved) No. It's ok. Everything's gonna be ok.

(Elena pulls out her phone and dials Stefan. The phone rings a couple of times. She walks away from the operating table and leans against the door frame.)

(Music plays and Stefan pours himself a margarita from behind the bar.)

Stefan: Hello.

Elena: (Out of breath) Stefan, hey. Thank God. I found her. I... She's gonna be ok.

Stefan: Oh, really?

Elena: Stefan, are you ok?

Stefan: Well, I will be in one second. (He takes a sip of his drink) Mmm. I really needed that.

Elena: Please don't tell me that you shut it off. (Stefan doesn't answer) Stefan, don't you dare tell me that you shut it off!

Stefan: Ok. I won't. (He passes the phone to Caroline who is laying on the bar)

Caroline: He shut it off. (She hangs up the phone and tosses it aside; she grins and Stefan drinks his margarita)

[ END ]