03x22 - The Departed

Episode transcripts for the TV show "The Vampire Diaries". Aired September 2009 - March 2017.*

Moderator: DelenaForever

Watch/Buy Amazon  Merchandise

A high school girl is torn between two vampire brothers.

03x22 - The Departed

Post by bunniefuu »

[Gilbert's House]

(Elena is sleeping. Her alarm clock sets off and she wakes up. She raises the volume smiles and gets off bed. She smiles once more and starts to dance, looking at herself in the mirror and binding her hair into a ponytail. She takes her pompons and throws them on her bench next to her cheerleader outfit)

(She's dressed in her cheerleader outfit and enters the kitchen. Jenna's here)

Elena: Hey. Jeremy locked himself in the bathroom again. Does he think we don't know what he's doing in there?

Jenna: He's 14. They don't think

(She takes the coffee pot to pours herself some but Jenna stops her)

Jenna: Hey. You'll get me in trouble with your...

(Miranda, Elena's mom, enters the kitchen)

Miranda Good morning

Elena: Good morning mom

(Miranda smiles, takes Elena's face in her hands and kisses her. Elena smiles)

Present

[Mystic Falls' Hospital]

(Elena wakes up in her hospital bed and looks around her)

[Mystic Falls' Hospital]

(Meredith is with Jeremy in front of Elena's room)

Meredith: She's going to be fine. She got a little banged up today, hit her head. But it was just a slight concussion. Nothing to worry about

Jeremy: But she collapsed, there was blood

Meredith: Honestly, Jeremy, she's OK. She's just... She's been through a lot. Is there anyone

you want to call?

[A car]

(Stefan is driving and Damon is on the passenger seat. They're on the phone with Jeremy)

Damon: Did what?!

Jeremy: I took her to the hospital. When you find your sister unconscious you call 911

Damon: Not when you have a parade of vampires at your disposal.

Stefan: Every remaining original is going to want Elena dead to stop Alaric. She's a sitting duck in there

Jeremy: Well, Meredith wants to keep her here for observation

Damon: Jeremy, get Elena home. We're on our way

(He hangs up and looks at Stefan)

Damon: Have I told you lately how much I appreciate you not being the dumbest brother on earth?

Stefan: You know one of us needs to keep moving, right? If Klaus really is the sire of our bloodline, we need to keep his body hidden before Alaric finds him, kills him and we all end up dead

Damon: Our life is one big proverbial coin toss

[Mystic Falls' Hospital]

(Meredith enters her office. Alaric is there, waiting for her)

Alaric: Hello, Meredith

Meredith: What are you doing here?

Alaric: I'm Elena's guardian. I thought it was strange I didn't get a phone call

Meredith: How did you find out?

Alaric: Oh, I have eyes and ears everywhere now. It's funny. The people of this town are actually good at their jobs when you allow them to be. Speaking of...

(He gets up)

Alaric: You are a little too good at your job

(He opens the fridge and takes vials of blood)

Alaric: But that's because you cheat. So I found your stash of vampire blood

(He takes one vial and empties it)

Meredith: Don't... stop it. Don't... don't do that. Stop it!

Alaric: The council will be in touch with the medical board to have your license suspended. Mayor Lockwood

and Sheriff Forbes are being relieved of their duties. I'm getting this town back under control. And you will be releasing Elena to my custody

(He takes the file from her hands, sign something and gives it back to her. He looks at her and leaves. She's about to cry)

(He goes to Elena's room but when she enters, she's not there. He looks outside the room)

[Gilbert's House]

(Elena enters with Matt, Tyler and Caroline)

Caroline: Couch

Elena: I'm fine. I just... I want something to eat first

Tyler: We're on it. As soon as we make sure no one's lurking in the closets

(Matt and he look at each other. Matt nods. He goes upstairs and Tyler goes toward the kitchen)

Caroline: All right, couch. Now

Elena: Ugh, I told you, I'm fine

(Caroline takes a blanket)

Caroline: Doctor says rest, you rest

(Elena lays down and Caroline puts the blanket on top of her)

Caroline: Now what can I get you? Do you want some tea? Maybe some vodka? Both will help you sleep

(Elena smiles, looks at her and sighs. Caroline sits down next to her)

Caroline: I know. I'm being smothering. It's what I do

(Elena smiles and takes her hand)

Elena: No. It's... It's nice

(Caroline smiles)

Caroline: I'm thinking... Maybe tea with vodka

(They giggle. Caroline gets up and Elena looks at the photo of her with her parents and her alone in her cheerleader outfit)

Flashback

[Mystic Falls' High School]

(Matt and Elena are holding and hands. Bonnie is with them. They're both in their cheerleading outfit)

Elena: Caroline Forbes told me that my ponytail lacked juju

Matt: I don't even know what that means

Bonnie: It means Caroline's driving Elena crazy, as usual. So as I psychically predicted, flare jeans are

making a comeback

Elena: That doesn't make you are a psychic, Bonnie. It means that you watch too much "top model"

Bonnie: Say what you want. But I've got a bad feeling about the bonfire tonight

Elena: It doesn't matter, because I can't go

(Matt looks at her)

Elena: I know, but Jenna's in town and my parents want to do family night

(He touches her arms)

Matt: You have to go. See if you can sneak out

(They smile and kiss)

Matt: Got to see Coach Tanner. Love you

(He leaves. Bonnie looks at her)

Bonnie: You didn't say it back

Elena: What?

Bonnie: You know what. You can't string him along, Elena. If you're not into it anymore, just... Tell him

Present

[Gilbert's House]

(Elena wakes up. Matt is there, watching her)

Elena: Where is everyone?

Matt: Tyler and Caroline got a call from their moms. What were you dreaming about?

Elena: Sophomore year

Matt: That seems like forever ago

Elena: It was. I'm sorry that I strung you along. I should have figured out what I wanted, and just been

honest about it. And now I'm making the same mistakes with Stefan and Damon. It's not right, what I'm doing to them, either. I... I have to let one of them go

Matt: Which one?

(Stefan enters. Elena turns herself, looks at Matt and then gets up)

Elena: Stefan

(She goes toward him and he embraces her)

Stefan: Are you okay?

Elena: Yeah

[Mystic Grill]

(Jeremy picks up food at the bar)

Jeremy: Thanks, man. Tell the kitchen I appreciate them staying open for me

(Alaric arrives with two beers. He puts them on the bar)

Alaric: We need at talk

[Gilbert's House]

(Elena is still on the couch. Matt is setting the table and Stefan is cooking)

Elena: I'm being over-coddled. I feel completely fine

Stefan: You're on house arrest. You're supposed to be coddled

Matt: Wouldn't it be smarter if we just got you the hell out of town?

Elena: And do what? Go on the run for

the rest of my life? Go on the run for the rest of my life? No, thank you. And I'm not an invalid

(She gets up)

Elena: I'm done with the couch

(She leaves the room. Matt looks at Stefan)

Matt: So you're just going to let her call the sh*ts?

Stefan: I'm letting her make her own decisions

Matt: Even if they're wrong?

Stefan: Nothing wrong with free will, Matt. Trust me. You don't realize that till you lose it

Elena: Stefan…

(He turns his head and sees Elijah at the doorway)

Stefan: Elijah

Elijah: Hello again

[Mystic Grill]

(Alaric and Jeremy are at the bar)

Alaric: I need you to tell me where they're keeping Klaus' body

Jeremy: I don't know. And even if I did, why would I tell you?

Alaric: Elena's association with vampires nearly got her k*lled again tonight, Jeremy. Does that even register with you?

Jeremy: Of course it does

Alaric: Well, she can't seem to cut them out of her life, but I can. And with your help... I'll get rid of all of them. Find out where Klaus' body is being hidden. I'll k*ll him. All his siblings. And when I die, vampires will no longer exist

Jeremy: But the only way for you to die is if Elena dies

Alaric: Then lock me up. Have Bonnie put a spell on me like she did Klaus. Let Elena live a long, healthy, human life. And when her life is over... mine will be too

(He takes the stake from his jacket)

Alaric: This stake is the one w*apon on earth that can k*ll them. I'm going to get Klaus either way, Jeremy. Be on the right side of this

[Gilbert's House]

(Elijah and Elena are sitting at the kitchen table. Stefan and Matt are looking at him)

Elijah: All we need is to take that stake away from him. Once he's been disarmed, the w*apon's in my possession, my family will scatter to the ends of the earth. And Alaric will follow us

Stefan: And you'll just... Run

Elijah: We've done it before. Klaus and Rebekah spent the better part of a thousand years evading my father. What's another half century while Elena's able to live out the rest of her natural life?

Elena: We finally stopped him, Elijah. After everything that he's done to us, I can't just let you bring him back

Elijah: I give you my word, Elena. I will not revive Klaus within yours, nor even within your children's lifetimes. Perhaps it'll finally teach him some manners

Matt: Why should she trust you? All you've done is screw her over

Elijah: And for that, I'm deeply ashamed. But know this... she could have been dead the instant I walked through that door tonight. So, Elena, I leave it to you to make the decision whether to trust me or not

(Damon is on the phone. On loud speaker)

Damon: Not! Hello! Did that concussion give you brain damage? His lunatic siblings will k*ll you the first chance they get!

Elijah: Rebekah and Kol will honor the terms if you return Klaus' body to us... Elena will come to no harm

(He looks at Elena)

Elijah: Do we have a deal?

Damon: No! No, no, no, no. Did I mention, no!

Stefan: Elena, it's up to you

Damon: Oh, come on!

Elena: Why do you want Klaus' body?

Elijah: He's my brother. We remain together

(Elena sighs and looks at him)

Elena: We have a deal

[Lockwood's Mansion]

(Tyler and Caroline enter)

Tyler: Mom?

Carol: In here

(They enter the living room. Carol and Liz are waiting for them)

Caroline: Mom

Tyler: What's going on?

Carol: Alaric outed us to the council. He told them everything. The whole council knows what you are

Liz: He's got them looking for Klaus, and then they're going to come looking for you. You can't be here when they do

(Caroline looks at them)

Caroline: What are you saying?

Liz: You both need to get out of town

Carol: I've pulled together some cash, and Liz has gotten you some new identification. And we'll get school records, and...

(Liz gives them some papers)

Tyler: well, wait a minute, you want us to run?

Liz: We can't protect you anymore

Caroline: Well, we can't just pack up and leave!

Carol: If you stay, you're going to end up dead. You don't have a choice

(They have tears in their eyes. Caroline looks at Tyler)

[Gilbert's House]

(Matt and Jeremy are outside, sitting on the porch. They're whispering)

Matt: So what are you going to do?

Jeremy: What I want to do is run in that house, grab Elena and get her out of here and away from all this

Matt: Well, why don't we?

Jeremy: Good luck getting her past all the vampires in there. Even if I wanted to help Alaric... I have no idea where Klaus' body is

Matt: I do

[Mystic Grill]

(Alaric is alone at the bar. His phone buzzes. He answers)

Alaric: Yes?

Jeremy: I know where Klaus' body is

Alaric: Good. Tell me

Jeremy: Damon's on his way to bury him in the woods off route 12. I'll text you with the specifics

(Alaric smiles)

Alaric: Thank you, Jeremy. You're doing the right thing for your sister

Jeremy: I know

[Gilbert's House]

(He hangs up. He's looking at Elena. Matt, Stefan, Elijah and Elena look at him)

Jeremy: He bought it

[Lockwood's mansion]

(Tyler and Caroline are in Richard's study. He's sitting and Caroline is standing)

Caroline: We can't just leave town

Tyler: Yes we can

Caroline: No, our friends need us

Tyler: And our mothers need us to stay alive!

(He gets up)

Tyler: Look, Stefan and Damon are going to do whatever it takes to protect themselves, but this is our lives. So let me protect you

(Caroline takes him by the neck)

Caroline: I will go anywhere with you. And if we have to spend the rest of our lives running, I will run with you. But, first, I have to help our friends.

Tyler: I'll get stuff together and meet you at the cell in two hours

Caroline: Deal

(They laugh and they kiss)

Tyler: We've got to travel light. So what do you need?

Caroline: Ah, just you. Maybe a curling iron

(They laugh)

Caroline: Oh, I have to tell Bonnie!

Tyler: I'll call Bonnie, OK? Two hours. Don't you dare be late

Caroline: Ok!

(She kisses him one last time, laughs and leaves. He watches her leave)

[A storage unit]

(Damon and Bonnie go out of an elevator)

Damon: I'm not halfway out of Virginia and Elena sells our soul to the originals?

Bonnie: It's her call

Damon: You know what else is her call? Everything bad ever

(They walk through a storage unit)

Bonnie: Where's the body? As long as it's unspelled, Alaric is one witch away from finding it

Damon: Hidden. I was going to use unit 666, but I figured that would be a little obvious. So… 1020

(They stop in front of a unit)

Damon: Mini fridge, a couple of bird cages, box full of "playboys"

(He opens it. The coffin is inside)

Damon: One beef jerkified original

(Bonnie opens the coffin and they look at him. Klaus opens his eyes and looks at them)

Damon: Whoa. Creepy

Bonnie: I need a minute

Damon: Just jam the witch locator bat signal, whatever, and get on with it, Bonnie

Bonnie: Elena and Jeremy lost Jenna and Alaric because of him. Tyler's a hybrid. My mother's a vampire. Could you give me a minute to just appreciate the sight of him like this?

(Damon raises his hand in defeat and leaves. She watches him leave and he closes the door. She looks at Klaus and he's looking at her)

Bonnie: You should burn in hell. But if you die, so do my friends. So does my mother. What am I supposed

to do about that?

[Gilbert's House]

(Elena is in her bedroom with Stefan)

Elena: Stefan, make sure that Alaric doesn't lay a hand on Jeremy

Stefan: Jeremy will be fine. Between all of us, we'll have the strength in numbers to disarm Alaric

(He touches her face)

Stefan: Hey. What's wrong?

Elena: I... Lately, I feel like every time someone walks out of this house, there's a chance they may not make it back home

Stefan: Well, I promise... I will do everything in my power to make sure that we all come back

(He touches her shoulder then goes toward the door)

Elena: Stefan…

(He stops and turns himself but she says nothing)

Elena: Forget it. We can talk later

(He turns himself but then he goes toward her, takes her face in his hands and kisses her. Then, they look at each other)

Stefan: Just in case there is no later

(He leaves)

[A storage unit]

(Damon is alone, on the phone with Stefan)

Damon: Bonnie just left. Rebekah should be here soon, pick up the body

Stefan: I got Caroline and Elijah in place. Jeremy's going to lead Alaric to us

Damon: You just had to let her make the choice, didn't you?

Stefan: What would you have done, Damon?

Damon: Grabbed her, gagged her, threw her in a well. I don't know, anything other than let her trust Elijah!

Stefan: You know she'd just hate you for it, right?

Damon: Yet she'd be alive and she'd hate me. Thus the eternal difference between you and me. Brother

Stefan: As soon as we get the stake, hand over the coffin and get out. Alaric's got half the police looking for Klaus' car

Damon: Will do

(He hears the elevator)

Damon: Got to go. The original sister's here

(He hangs up and gets up)

Damon: It's about time, sexy Bex

(Alaric strangles him from behind. He groans)

Alaric: Where is Klaus?

Damon: How did you find me?

Alaric: Well, you'd be amazed at how competent law enforcement is when it's not corrupted by vampires. Now, where is Klaus?

Damon: Storage locker. There's only about a thousand of 'em. Have at it

(Alaric breaks his neck and then throws him on the floor. He's unconscious)

[Gilbert's House]

(Elena is in her bedroom, sitting on the bench, looking through the window. Matt arrives with two cups of tee. He hands her one. She takes it)

Elena: Thank you

Matt: You're welcome

(She drinks but makes a face)

Matt: Sorry. I over-honeyed. I suck at tea

(She smiles)

Matt: So... Stefan

Elena: He saved my life, you know. I never told you that. The night that my parents' car went off the bridge, Stefan was the one that saved me

Matt: So do you feel like you owe him or something?

Elena: No. It's not that. It's... After the accident, I kind of felt like I didn't know how to live anymore. Like I didn't want to. But then being with Stefan, somehow I figured it out. And that's what love should be. You should love the person that makes you glad that you're alive

Matt: So then what's the problem?

Elena: The problem's Damon. I... When I'm with him, it just consumes me. And I know that I can't love them both. I know that it's wrong, but I... when I choose one, then I'll lose the other. And I don't want to lose anyone else. I... I just... I wish that I had my mom here to give me some advice

(She drinks more tea and looks through the window. Matt is looking at her)

Flashback

[The Falls]

(It's a party. Elena goes away to make a phone call)

Elena: Hey it's me

Jenna: Your dad is making me play Pictionary. I suck at Pictionary

(Jenna is in the Gilbert kitchen with Miranda and Grayson)

Grayson: You do. You're terrible

Jenna: Bite me, Grayson

Elena: Listen, do you think someone can come pick me up?

Jenna: Oh, having second thoughts about ditching family night?

(She hands the phone over to Miranda)

Miranda: Elena? Everything OK?

Elena: Matt and I got into a fight. He was talking about college and marriage and all the stuff that he always talks about, and I just... I couldn't

Miranda: He doesn't really care about that yet, honey. He's just trying to figure out how you feel about him right now

Elena: I don't know how I feel

Miranda: Yes, you do. You're just afraid to say it

Elena: Yeah, but I don't want to lose him

Miranda: You're not going to lose him, honey. You're setting him free

Present

[Matt's car]

(Matt is driving. Elena's in the passenger seat. She wakes up and looks around)

Elena: What's going on?

Matt: It's the only way I was going to get you in this truck

(She realizes something)

Elena: The tea. You drugged me?!

Matt: I'm sorry, Elena. But you're right, OK? You don't have any parents to tell you what's right or wrong. You've got me and Jeremy and a bunch of vampires fighting a w*r you shouldn't be in the middle of

Elena: What the hell is going on, Matt?

Matt: I'm getting you out of town, Elena. It's the only way to keep you safe
[A storage Unit]

(Alaric opens the lockers one by one. He hears the elevator. Rebekah gets out of the elevator and starts to walk)

Rebekah: Damon! Damon, where are you?

(Alaric takes the stake out of his jacket.

Rebekah: Damon, this isn't funny

(She arrives at the end of one of the allies and turns to her right. Alaric is following her from a distance. She walks and sees the units opened. Damon arrives from behind and puts his hand on her mouth and go against a wall)

Damon: Shh

(Alaric stops in front of the unit 1020. He opens it but Klaus's coffin isn't inside. Damon and Rebekah are about to put the coffin in the trunk of a car but Alaric arrives, catches Rebekah by the hair. Punches her head against the car and then throws her on the floor. Damon rushes toward him but Alaric kicks him and is thrown on the floor too. Alaric opens the coffin. Klaus is looking at him. Rebekah screams)

Rebekah: No!

Damon: No! Don't!

(She gets up and screams but Alaric drives the stake through Klaus' heart. Damon gets up and puts himself in front of Rebekah. She's screaming and crying. Damon is holding her but he's in shock. Klaus's body bursts into flames. Alaric looks at them, takes the stake from the burning body and then closes the coffin. He turns himself toward them)

Alaric: Next

Damon: Rebekah, run. Run!

(She runs and he rushes toward Alaric but he throws him on the floor once more and goes after Rebekah)

(Damon is alone, sitting against the car. He takes his phone, dials a number and puts to his ear. Stefan answers)

Stefan: Damon?

Damon: Bad news, brother. Alaric staked Klaus. He's dead

(Stefan is in the woods with Jeremy)

Stefan: I feel OK. Do you feel anything?

Damon: No

Stefan: It took Sage about an hour before she got sick

Damon: Yeah, or Klaus was lying about being the sire of our bloodline

Stefan: Well, if he wasn't lying... An hour's not enough time to get you all the way back to Mystic Falls

Damon: What, so we can have an epic good-bye, Stefan?

Stefan: Not us, brother. You and Elena

Damon: Well, I guess you'll just have to say good-bye for both us, won't you?

(Stefan doesn't say anything)

Damon: Call me if you cough up a lung

(He hangs up)

[The woods]

(Stefan hangs up too)

Jeremy: Stefan. Elena's not home. Matt and I... We're getting her out of town

Stefan: It's going to be fine. Klaus was lying. We're all going to be OK

(Elijah and Caroline rejoin them)

Elijah: What happened?

(He doesn't answer)

Caroline: Stefan?

[Matt's car]

(Matt is on the phone)

Matt: Got it, jer

(He hangs up)

Elena: We have to go back. Listen to me, Matt. If Klaus is the one that turned their bloodline, then they're all going to die. We have to go back, Matt!

Matt: Elena…

Matt: Damon's not with them

Matt: He's a hundred Miles out of town. I can keep driving to him, or I can turn around and go back to Stefan. It's your choice

[A storage Unit]

(Damon is sitting on the trunk, looks at the coffin. His phone rings. He looks at it. It's Elena. He answers)

Damon: Let me guess... calling to see if the grim reaper's paid a visit?

Elena: How are you feeling? Are there any symptoms?

Damon: Not yet. But I'm sure we'll have a laugh when we find out that Klaus is a big, fat liar

Elena: Yeah, I'm... I'm sure we will

Damon: Hey, where are you?

Elena: Matt's taking me home

(He understands what she means)

Damon: To Stefan

Elena: Not just Stefan... Damon. To Tyler. To Caroline

Damon: No Elena I get it. So… Since I'm possibly a dead man, can I ask you a question?

Elena: Yeah, of course

Damon: If it was just down to him and me, and you had to make a choice. Who got the good-bye? Who would it be?

Elena: I love him, Damon. He came into my life at a time when I needed someone, and I fell for him instantly. And no matter what I feel for you, I... I never un-fell for him

Damon: Hey, I get it. It's Stefan. It's always going to be Stefan

Elena: I can't think about "always". All I can think about is right now. And I care about you, Damon. Which is why I have to let you go

(She's crying)

Elena: I mean, maybe if you and I had met first...

Damon: Maybe

Elena: You're going to be fine. You hear me? You're going to be OK, and I'm going to see you soon

(He turns himself. Alaric's here)

Damon: Real soon. Good-bye, Elena

(He hangs up)

Damon: I see you're still pissed. I take it goldilocks gave you the slip?

(Alaric rushes over him and punches him in the face)

[Old Lockwood Cellar]

(Caroline rushes inside)

Caroline: Tyler! Tyler!

(She looks around. She's crying. She turns herself and sees him)

Tyler: Caroline

Caroline: Tyler, oh, my God!

(She rushes into his arms)

Tyler: Hey. Sorry, I was just with Bonnie

(She looks at him, crying)

Tyler: What happened?

Caroline: Klaus d*ed. He's dead

Tyler: You're going to be fine, Caroline

Caroline: No, it's not me that I'm worried about

Tyler: There's no point. I'm a lost cause

Caroline: No!

Tyler: But you're strong, and you have a beautiful future ahead of you. When you make it through this... Just tell my mother I left town like I was supposed to, OK?

(They kiss and embrace each other. She's still crying. Suddenly he screams and falls on the floor. He's coughing and then it stops. He turns himself and looks at Caroline)

Tyler: Do you feel anything?

Caroline: No. I feel fine

Tyler: I need you to get out of here. I don't want you to watch me die

Caroline: No, I'm not leaving

(He screams and coughs once more. She bends next to him)

Caroline: I'm staying

Tyler: No

Caroline: Yes

Tyler: You run. Or I'll make you run

Caroline: I'm not leaving!

(He starts to turn)

Tyler: Go!

(She cries and finally rushes outside)

[Matt's car]

(She's on the phone, crying)

Elena: You too Care

(She hangs up. Matt is looking at her)

Matt: What now?

Elena: It's Tyler. He, um... He's...

(Matt understands)

Matt: Damn it

(He cries and hits the wheel in anger. He screams)

Matt: Damn it, damn it, damn it!

Elena: Matt, no, stop it

(He stops and looks at her)

Matt: This isn't how our lives were supposed to be, Elena

[The woods]

(Rebekah rejoins Elijah. She's crying. He looks at her)

Rebekah: He's gone, Elijah. There was nothing I could do to stop it

(He embraces her. He has tears in his eyes)

Elijah: Tyler Lockwood is dead, but the rest survived. You said that Nicklaus turned their bloodline

Rebekah: I thought he did

Elijah: It wasn't me, it wasn't Kol

Rebekah: It wasn't me, Elijah. It was Nicklaus, I'm sure of it

Elijah: Then how are they still alive?

[Old Lockwood Cellar]

(Bonnie enters)

Bonnie: I know you're here

(Tyler comes out)

Tyler: I must say, you ex*cuted the swapping spell brilliantly. I didn't think you had it in you

Bonnie: I did it to save my friends and my mother, Klaus. Not you

Tyler/Klaus: The spirits won't be happy with you

Bonnie: Spirits don't get to tell me what to do anymore. I'm done getting pushed around by all of you. I did it because I wanted to

[The woods]

(Stefan answers his phone. It's Rebekah)

Stefan: Hello?

Rebekah: You're alive. Congratulations

Stefan: Rebekah

Rebekah: Elijah spoke to Elena. Her and Matt should be arriving back in town any minute

Stefan: Yeah, he told me that. He also said you two would be long gone out of town by now

Rebekah: That's the problem. Elijah says that we have to run, that the hunter will keep coming after us, but I don't want to run anymore, Stefan. I've spent my whole life running

Stefan: What are you talking about? We had a deal

Rebekah: I'm sorry, but Klaus is dead. There is no deal. If my brothers and I are going to survive, we need to get rid of Alaric, and the only way to get rid of Alaric...

Stefan: Rebekah, no

[Matt's car]

(Elena is looking at her phone)

Elena: I need to call Stefan, but my phone is dying

Matt: Here. Use mine

(He gives her his phone. They arrive at Wickery Bridge)

Elena: Thanks

(She raises her hand and sees Rebekah standing in the middle of the bridge)

Elena: Matt, look out!

(He makes a maneuver to avoid her and the car goes above the bridge and ends up and the water)

Flashback

[A car, underwater]

(Elena is coughing. Water is filling the car. Her dad is trying to open the door. Elena looks at him)

Elena: Dad? Dad!

(He looks at her)

Grayson: We're going to be OK. I promise

(She coughs and the car is even more filled with water)

Present

[A storage unit]

(Damon falls on the floor, hit by Alaric His face is bleeding. Alaric is standing above him)

Alaric: You're not going to fight back?

Damon: You're kind of invincible, Ric

Alaric: Don't call me that. We're not friends

Damon: We were

Alaric: Well, our friendship was part of the problem. It's what kept me weak. That's why it took so long for the real me to break through. And now I'm going to break you

(He punches him hard)

Flashback

[Middle of nowhere]

(Damon is lying on the road. He hears Elena talking)

Elena: I know, Bonnie, you're right. You and my mom both are. I just can't bring myself to tell him. At least not tonight. I'll call you later

(She hangs up. Damon arrives and looks at her)

Damon: Katherine

Elena: Um... No. I... I'm Elena

Damon: Oh. You... you just look... I'm sorry. You just really remind me of someone. I'm Damon

Elena: Not to be rude or anything, Damon, but it's kind of creepy that you're out here in the middle of nowhere

Damon: You're one to talk. You're out here all by yourself

Elena: It's Mystic Falls. Nothing bad ever happens here. I got into a fight with my boyfriend

Damon: About what? May I ask?

Elena: Life, the future. He's got it all mapped out

Damon: And you don't want it?

Elena: I don't know what I want

Damon: Well, that's not true. You want what everybody wants...

Elena: what? Mysterious stranger who has all the answers

Damon: Hmm. Well, let's just say I've been around a long time. I've learned a few things

Elena: So, Damon... Tell me. What is it that I want?

Damon: You want a love that consumes you. You want passion and adventure, and even a little danger

Elena: So, what do you want?

(A horn honks. She turns herself. A car arrives)

Elena: That's my parents

(She looks at him and he compels her)

Damon: I want you to get everything you're looking for. But right now I want you to forget that this happened. I can't have people knowing I'm in town yet. Good night, Elena

(He disappears)

Present

[A storage Unit]

Damon: Is that all you got?

Alaric: Not quite

(He's about to drive the stake through Damon's heart but Damon catches his arm and resists. He pushes him with his leg and then he gets up and punches him in the face)

[Wickery Bridge]

(Matt's car is at the bottom of the water. Elena opens her eyes. She looks around and sees Matt unconscious. She shakes him and touches his face)

Flashback

(The inside of the car is filled with water. They're completely submerged .Grayson is still trying to open the door. Miranda is unconscious. Elena looks at her father)

Present

(Elena is still shaking Matt. She tries to open the window and to break it with her elbow but she can't)

Flashback

(Grayson tries to break the window with his elbow. Elena calls his dad but he can't really hear her because they're underwater. He turns himself and takes his hand. He shakes his head and she nods. They look at each other and she mouths an "I love you" to her dad. He releases her hand. Stefan arrives)

Present

(Stefan looks through the window. Matt is still unconscious and Elena is still shaking him, desperate)

Flashback

(Stefan looks at Grayson through the window but he shakes his hand and makes a sign toward Elena in the back. Stefan goes to the window and sees Elena, unconscious. He's intrigued when he sees her.)

Present

(Stefan breaks the door and goes inside to catch Elena but she refuses and wants him to save Matt. He insists but she's resigned and refuses. He finally catches Matt and leaves with him. Elena finally dies)

[A storage Unit]

(Damon punches Alaric. Alaric he's about to hit him with the stake but he catches his arm. But suddenly Alaric isn't okay)

Alaric: What's happening?

Damon: No!

Alaric: What's happening?!

Damon: What?

(Alaric falls on his knees and screams. Damon is holding him)

Damon: No! No! No, no, no, no!

(He's on his knees beside him. Alaric is dying)

Damon: Ric!

(Alaric is dead. Damon understands what it means)

Damon: You're not dead. You're not dead!

(He's crying)

[Gilbert's House]

(Jeremy is leaving a voicemail to Matt)

Jeremy: Matt, where are you guys? You should have been back by now

(Alaric appears and Jeremy stops, looking at him)

Alaric: Jeremy

Jeremy: I think you've done enough. How did you even get in here?

Alaric: I don't know. I just wanted to say good-bye and it kind of happened

Jeremy: Ric?

Alaric: I just want you to know... That I will always be here to look after you, Jeremy. And you'll never be alone. OK? I promise

Jeremy: I don't understand. Oh, my God, you're a ghost. But if you're dead... It means Elena...

[Mystic Falls Hospital]

(Elena is in the morgue. Lying on a table, dead. Stefan is sitting beside her, devastated)

(Damon arrives at the hospital)

Damon: Where is she?

(Meredith sees him)

Meredith: Damon…

Damon: Where is she?

(She stops him)

Meredith: Wait! You need to know, when Jeremy brought Elena in here earlier tonight, her injuries were worse than I let on. It wasn't a concussion. It was a cerebral hemorrhage. Bleeding on the brain

Damon: What are you saying?

Meredith: He was so worried. I didn't want to tell him but i… I helped her. She needed my help

Damon: You what?!

(Elena wakes up, gasping)