05x16 - A Lonely Place

Episode transcripts for the TV show, "Dawson's Creek". Aired: January 1998 to May 2003.*
Watch/Buy Amazon  Merchandise

Four friends in a small coastal town help each other cope with adolescence.

05x16 - A Lonely Place

Post by destinyros2005 »

Episode 516 - A Lonely Place

[Scene: Joey's Dorm room. The camera starts off aimed at the back of a television, and it pulls around the TV so that we can see Joey sitting on the floor at the foot of her bed watching TV, and a little further to see Dawson sitting next to her.]

[Movie playing on TV]

[Turns TV off]

Dawson: So... what did you think?

Joey: Mm. I don't know. It's so... so... boring.

Dawson: Bo—boring. What are they teaching you at Worthington?

Joey: Well, do you want me to lie and say I got it?

Dawson: Oh, it's not about getting it. Pauline Kael said that you could find Goddard incomprehensible and still be shattered by his brilliance.

Joey: Does Jen know about you and this Pauline person you're always referring to?

Dawson: Jen understands my need to see other film critics.

Joey: So this is really your homework? You just sit around and watch movies all night.

Dawson: Yeah, and I'll be doing it again tomorrow if you'd like to join me. They're showing this, uh, Nicholas ray film at school that I need to see.

Joey: And Nicholas ray would be?

Dawson: He directed rebel without a cause. Huge influence on the French new wave to the point where Truffaut wanted people who couldn't appreciate his work banned from movie going entirely, which is why you should go.

[Dawson takes the tape and puts it back into it's case.]

Joey: So are you guys doing this baby-sitting thing in shifts or what's the pattern here?

Dawson: [Sighs] Your friends just wanna spend some time with you. Is it a problem?

Joey: No, but it's unnecessary.

Dawson: Good, then I'll pick you up tomorrow at 7:00.

Joey: Fine. Do you want me to walk you out?

Dawson: Nah, it's fine. You just stay right here.

Joey: Dawson... I'm fine. Really I am.

Dawson: I know. I know. I just think-- [Laughs] You're just not gonna let me tell you how happy I am that you're ok.

Joey: No. Sorry. But it has been nice seeing you again and... hanging out.

Dawson: Yeah. Yeah, it has.

Joey: So I'll see you tomorrow.

Dawson: See you tomorrow.

[Dawson looks at her for a second then leaves]

[Opening Credits]

[Scene: Dawson's Bedroom. He is sitting in front of his laptop working on editing his film, when Jen comes upstairs with a smile on her face.]

Jen: Ok, well, the show doesn't start till 7:00, so you actually probably have time to change into one of your cooler t-shirts.

Dawson: None of my t-shirts are cool?

Jen: You're missing my point.

Dawson: Yeah, I--I am, actually. What is--uh-- the--the point is where do you think we're going tonight?

Jen: The concert...veneer. They're opening for north America, and I have to interview them after the show because nobody else wanted to.

Dawson: And I said I would go to this?

Jen: Spoken like a true boyfriend.

Dawson: It's--[Laughs] There's this screening tonight at the school, and, uh, the thing is I asked Joey if she would go with me. And I kind of don't feel right just leaving her alone.

Jen: No, of course not.

[With a somewhat disappointed look on her face she sits on the end of his bed]

Dawson: Ahem. Does it bother you?

Jen: [Sighs] I just wish that we had a clean slate sometimes, that's all. You know?

Dawson: Hi, I'm Dawson.

[He looks at her with one of his Cute smiles, and she caves in.]

Jen: Hi, I'm Jen. [she begins to smile and almost laughingly] Ok, go. Go to the movie with Joey.

Dawson: Ahem. Are you sure?

Jen: Yes, of course, I'm sure. I'm totally sure.

Dawson: What about your thing?

Jen: You would've hated it anyway, and you'll have fun at the movie, and I will go to the concert with somebody who appreciates the finer points of rock and roll.

[They Kiss]

[Scene: Joey and Audrey's dorm room. Audrey is listening to her radio loudly as she cleans when she hears a knock on the door. She grabs the remote and turns the radio off, and goes to answer the door. Pacey is standing outside it.]

Audrey: [Sighs] Oh. It's you. Am I, like, late for work or something?

Pacey: Of course you're not late for work. It's our day off, and if I remember correctly, Joey has classes, which means—

[he goes to grab her but she stops him]

Audrey: Pacey, I don't know how to tell you this, so I'm just going to tell you. Um... the other night... I'm afraid that's just gonna have to remain in that beautiful memory category.

Pacey: [Sighs] I should've called, right? I knew I should've called. I mean, I saw you on Saturday, but why didn't I just pick up the phone and call. It would've been so simple.

Audrey: Pacey... clearly, when you and I had sex, we created some sort of... cosmic imbalance, ok? Like, a karmic disturbance, if you will, and what this means is that bad energy is seeking us out. Ok? It's here, and it's hovering.

Pacey: Hmm. Well, I don't know how to tell you this, but those guys in Ghostbusters, they're not real scientists.

Audrey: Let's just review. You and I had sex in your car on Friday night.

Pacey: Yes, we did.

Audrey: Think, Pacey. What else happened very late on Friday night?

Pacey: Uh, well, Joey had her little minor run-in with the criminal element, but she's fine. We all rallied around her. That's it?! That?! No, come on. You can't be serious.

Audrey: I'm sorry, Pacey. It's just--it's the way that it's gotta be.

Pacey: But she's fine! You're not even gonna give me the chance to tell you how ridiculous this is?

Audrey: I know what I know.

[She pushes him out the door, and goes to close it, but he stops her.]

Pacey: Ok, then, fine. We don't have to have sex.

Audrey: What?

Pacey: We don't have to have sex. We can spend some time together, get to know each other a little bit. That way you can disperse all of the bad karmic energy, and I can get much better about this when to call thing.

Audrey: No. I'm sorry. I'm just-- I'm not interested. I can't just hang out with you, Pacey, not after what happened the other night. Ok, maybe if the sex had been bad.

[Pacey gets a big smile on his face]

Pacey: You thought the sex was good?

Audrey: Well, yeah, didn't you?

Pacey: Oh, yeah, but, you know, thank you.

Audrey: You're welcome. See, this is exactly why I can't just hang out with you. No, I'm sorry. I am not gonna subject myself to some sort of platonic t*rture test. [Sighs] I'm just not that kind of girl.

[Scene: Outside Wilder's office. Joey is sitting on the floor across the hall from his door waiting. When the door opens Wilder and another student come out.]

Wilder: [Sighs] And don't be afraid to come and see me again if you get lost, ok?

Student: [Chuckles]

[The student leaves, and Joey and wilder stand for a few seconds silently staring at one another. Wilder motions for her to go into his office and enters behind her.]

Wilder: [Sighs] Every day is groundhog day with us, ms. Potter. Trouble is we never seem to get any smarter.

Joey: Well, I thought I'd change our luck by changing the venue.

Wilder: So did you make up some sort of academic pretext or is this, uh, purely a social visit?

Joey: No. I thought I owed you an explanation.

Wilder: For leaving my house Friday night and never coming back.

Joey: There's a reason.

Wilder: Oh, I'm sure there is, but for god's sakes, don't tell me.

Joey: Why not?

Wilder: Well, you're ruin the very writerly effect you created when you left-- the assignation made but never kept, doomed love at its finest. It's very Henry James, slash, Edith Wharton. Very Lily Bart. In fact, anyone ever compare you to Lily Bart before, ms. Potter?

Joey: No. But if I remember correctly, she ends up poverty-stricken, alone, and pretty much kills herself.

Wilder: Hmph. Ok, bad example. Maybe--maybe, uh, uh, fanny price perhaps or--or Jane Eyre maybe. In any case, that's who you are. You're the girl in the 19th century novel who would perversely refuse to marry for money no matter how much it would raise her station in life, the girl who would say yes, sleep on it... recover her moral principles, and then break the guy's heart the next morning, which, of course, only increases your appeal. Principles are incredibly sexy, you know.

Joey: [Sighs] Look, can I talk now?

Wilder: Only if you promise not to explain anything.

Joey: Well, I can't promise you that.

Wilder: Then I'm afraid we're at an impasse here.

Joey: So... that's it? The whole thing is over just like that just because you say it is?

Wilder: We haven't covered endings yet, have we, in class? Best ending in all of literature, and don't say Ulysses because everybody says Ulysses.

Joey: You can't be serious.

Wilder: I think we both know what happened Friday night.

Joey: We do?

Wilder: Yeah. You saved my life that night, my life and possibly my career-- neither of which are so impressive that they deserve to be saved, but... uh, I guess what I'm trying to say is... I don't need to know why you didn't come back that night. I just need to say thank you.

[Door opens, and a woman looks in]

Woman: Oh, sorry, David. You done in here?

Wilder: Joey?

Joey: Y-yeah. We're done.

Wilder: See you in class.

Joey: Thanks.

[Scene: Outside Grams' house. Pacey is standing outside throwing rocks at one of the windows, with no affect.]

Pacey: Ok, fine.

[He goes and grabs another handful and begins throwing again, when Jack walks around the corner of the house.]

Jack: Pacey. Why are you throwing rocks at my window?

Pacey: That's not Jen's window?

Jack: [Laughs] No.

Pacey: Oh. [Laughs] Eh, my bad. Look, could you just send her down?

Jack: Who, Jen?

Pacey: No, Audrey. Just tell her I'm back. I'm rested, and I am ready to argue.

Jack: You came here looking for Audrey?

Pacey: Yeah. Look, I know for a fact that's she's going to that concert thing with Jen tonight, and I'm sure they're just in there pimping away right now.

Jack: Primping, not--not pimping.

Pacey: I know what I said.

Jack: Oh, ho, a little agitated there, buddy.

Pacey: Yes, I am a little agitated, ok? Let me give you a little word of advice about girls, my friend.

Jack: Ok

Pacey: They like to be called. Even when they said they don't wanna be called, they wanna be called, especially when there's sex involved.

Jack: Whoa, wait a minute. You had sex with Audrey?

Pacey: Yes, yes, I did.

Jack: And you didn't call her?

Pacey: No, I didn't call her. Ok? [out loud] I didn't call her. [Sighs] Now that Joey's been mugged, Audrey has somehow gotten it into her head that it's our fault.

Jack: That's ridiculous. I mean, Joey getting mugged has nothing to do with you and Audrey having sex.

Pacey: Finally, someone who agrees with me, so look, could you just go up there and send her down, please?

Jack: No. They're gone. They're gone. Uh, they pimped out of here ages ago. Sorry.

Pacey: Well, great. That's just great. Obviously, this night has not gone quite the way that I had envisioned it, but the important part here, Jack, is that I still have my dignity.

Jack: Mmph.

Pacey: So... what are you doin' tonight?

Jack: Actually, I know this bar that does not card.

Pacey: Sold.

Jack: Yeah, pace, I gotta tell ya--

Pacey: tell me on the way.

[Pacey walks off, and Jack goes off after him]

Jack: Ok.

[Scene. Backstage at the concert. Jen and Audrey are walking around aimlessly, trying to figure out where they are.]

Audrey: Do you realize where we are right now? We are backstage at a rock concert. How cool is that?

Jen: Actually, we're lost backstage at a rock concert, which is significantly less cool.

Audrey: I thought that the guy said 3 lefts.

Jen: 3 lefts would be a circle, Audrey.

Audrey: No. 4 lefts is a circle. Anyway, it doesn't matter. We're backstage at a rock concert.

Jen: Let's go this way.

Audrey: All right, before we get there, you have to promise to let me have the cute one.

Jen: You said that they were all cute.

Audrey: Well, yeah, onstage. Everybody's cute onstage, you know? I mean, like, the whole buzz, the music, instruments.

Jen: Their music was awful. It was puerile and--and gimmicky.

Audrey: Ok, just let me have the lead singer, all right?

Jen: Ok, fine, but you know what? Uh, just to set the record straight, you may be here on some misguided, hormonally charged attempt to get the Pacey out of your system--

Audrey: which you promised not to comment on.

Jen: And I'm not going to-- but I, on the other hand, am here out of purely professional reasons. I'm going to meet this band. I'm going to take them back to the radio station, interview them, and then I go home to Dawson.

Audrey: Who's out right now with Joey.

Jen: Which doesn't bother me a bit. Because I, unlike you, am totally capable of having a mature, committed, trusting, adult relationship, and I would really appreciate it if you could just show a modicum of profes—

[they run into one of the band members coming out of a side door

Steve: hey.

Jen: Hi.

Steve: Hey, Wynn, did we order 2 beautiful blondes?

[Wynn comes out to join them]

Wynn: Uh, yes, yes, we did. Wynn.

Jen: Hi.

Wynn: Hi.

Jen: I'm Jen from WBCW. This is my friend Audrey. Um, you're Stephen?

Steve: Steve, just--just call me Steve.

Wynn: So what'd you think?

Audrey: It was a great set. You did—

Jen: it was... really good.

Audrey: Yeah. Man.

Steve: We'll go get our coats.

[]

Audrey: Ok. Changed my mind. Want the one with the beard.

[Scene: The movie theater. Dawson and Joey are walking in right after getting their tickets.]

Joey: So I take it you're starting to like it here?

Dawson: Yeah. I am. At first, I didn't think I'd fit in, but—

Joey: and now you're just as pretentious as the rest of them.

Dawson: Goddard is not pretentious. He's very funny. How could you not love a movie where the guy's fake name on the passport is Laszlo Kovacs?

Joey: Well, it helps if you have no idea who that is.

Dawson: He's an incredibly famous cinematographer. You used to know this stuff.

Joey: Wrong. I only pretended to know stuff like this so that you would be impressed with me.

Dawson: [Laughs] You are way more of a girl than I ever imagined.

Joey: Yeah, well, you're way more into French cinema.

Dawson: Isn't that your, uh, teacher?

Joey: What?

Dawson: The--the dark-haired guy. I can't remember his name-- your professor.

[She looks over and see Wilder, then sees another woman walk up to join him]

Joey: Yeah, I guess it is.

Dawson: Should we go say hello?

Joey: Let's not.

Dawson: Ok [Somewhat confused]

[Scene: The bar. Jack and Pacey are at the bar, getting their drinks and talking]

Pacey: So I wonder what they're doing right now?

Jack: Are you thinkin' about chasin'?

Pacey: Me? Nah. Why? You think I should?

Jack: Chase her?

Pacey: Well, when you weigh a little personal pride against the opportunity for great sex, it's—

Jack: sex wins.

Pacey: Yes, every time, and women do like to be chased.

Jack: Right up to the point where they file for that restraining order.

Pacey: Right. You got a good point there.

Jack: I generally do. Cheers.

Pacey: Cheers.

[Glasses clink]

Pacey: Though, I'm not really sure we should be doing this.

Jack: What, drinkin'? I told ya. They don't card at this place.

Pacey: No. I'm talkin' about your recent track record. You see, I'd hate to spend the night in jail after you run into a couple of your frat brothers and do a little dance on their skulls.

Jack: Drink up, will you? It's not gonna happen here. This isn't the kind of place.

Pacey: I like this place, man. They got cheap beer, late-night appetizer menu. The only problem is there's not a lot of women here. [suddenly realizes where he is] Jack, this wouldn't happen to be a--

Jack: mm-hmm. Pretty much.

Pacey: That much, huh?

Jack: That much.

Pacey: Well, it's funny. It really doesn't seem like it's all that...

Jack: gay? I know. That's why I like it. Listen, I gotta hit the head.

[goes to leave, but stops and turns back to Pacey]

Jack: Ohh. Ahem. Hey, you're not, like, you know... weirded out by all this.

Pacey: Me? Nah.

Jack: 'Cause I probably should have mentioned, you know—

Pacey: look, Jack, like, I never been in a gay bar before. Yeah. You guys are great.

[Jack leaves and Pacey looks worriedly around]

[Scene: The radio station. Steve is looking through the music, and Jen watches on in wonderment.]

[Music playing]

Jen: You know, if you wanna just tell me what it is that you're looking for, I could probably help you find it.

Steve: Let's see. Ah, success. Donovan.

Jen: The sixties Donovan?

Steve: Donovan is long overdue for a major revival.

Jen: [Laughs] Not on my radio show he's not.

Steve: Sounds like someone doesn't like losing control.

Jen: Ok, why don't we just keep the personal stuff out of this, and we can stick to music.

Steve: Do you have a boyfriend?

Jen: It's none of your business.

Steve: [Clicks tongue]

[Music ends]

Steve: It's over.

Jen: Uh, whe--when? What?

Steve: The song... on the radio. It's over.

Jen: Oh! Yeah.

[Jen realizes that there is dead air and runs to start another song]

[in another area, Audrey and Wynn are sitting on a couch together talking]

Audrey: So after this, then what?

Wynn: New York, Philly, D.C., And head back down south-- the Carolinas-- where you'll find excellent barbecue and one of the greatest rock and roll venues ever.

Audrey: Really?

Wynn: Mm-hmm.

Audrey: What's so great about it?

Wynn: Laundromat on one side, used record store on the other.

Audrey: What, you can't rock without clean socks?

Wynn: [Laughs] Well, I can, but I prefer not to.

Audrey: Right. And then?

Wynn: Home. Charlottesville, Virginia. Yeah, that's where my girlfriend lives.

Audrey: Mm-hmm.

[he pulls out his wallet and shows her a picture]

Wynn: Kim. She's getting her PhD. In anthropology.

Audrey: She's pretty.

Wynn: Yeah, and that's our vicious dog bowie.

Audrey: Oh, well, it's nice.

Wynn: Yeah, it is. Boring, though. That's what you're thinking, right?

Audrey: Well... now that you mention it. I don't know. It doesn't seem very rock and roll, does it?

Wynn: What, monogamy?

Audrey: Yeah. Come on. Don't you ever get the urge to do something bad?

Wynn: Yeah, but I don't. I mean, I love my girlfriend.

Audrey: And it's really just that simple for you?

Wynn: Yeah. Why wouldn't it be?

Audrey: I don't know. I guess I just-- I think of relationships as being more complicated than that.

Wynn: They are. Bad relationships.

[Scene: At the bar. Pacey is standing at one of the tables talking to another guy when, Jack comes out and sees him. Someone surprised he walks over to join them.]

Pacey: [Pacey sighs] That's not bread. It's sawdust. I mean, at civilization we bake the stuff our self, ok?

[Jack walks up and stands next to Pacey]

Jack: Pacey.

Pacey: Hey, Jack. Good to see you again. Let me introduce you. Jeff, Jeff, Jack, Jack, Jeff.

Jack: Hey, Jeff. Nice to meet you. [He turns to Pacey]Uh, talk to you for a sec.

Pacey: Sure thing. [he sees that Jack want to talk to him] Excuse me for a second.

[they walk out of ear sh*t of Jeff]

Pacey: Can you believe what a small world it is? That guy's a food critic for a very big magazine in town, and he said he'd pretty much given up on civilization, right? I believe passé was his word, but I'm changin' all that.

Jack: Hmm. So how long you been talkin' to that guy?

Pacey: I don't know. Couple minutes. Who cares? What's important is that he is this far away from giving us a write-up.

Jack: Hmm. What's he want in return?

Pacey: Eh-eh. Wait. You don't think that he thinks that I'm—

Jack: mm-hmm. Yeah, yeah. Unless some time in the past few minutes you've just happened to mention the fact that, uh, gee, I don't know, you're not gay.

Pacey: Jack, look at me, ok? Really look at me. I'm a schlub, ok? I'm not gay friendly. I would be an insult to gaydom.

Jack: Ok, you might have a point there, but the guy was hangin' on your every word.

Pacey: Sure he was. So?

Jack: So you're not that interesting.

Pacey: I'm not?

Jack: No. He--look... nobody listens that hard, ok, unless they're just tryin' to, you know—

Pacey: oh. Interesting.

Jack: What?

Pacey: Well... I think for the first time in my life, I understand what it must be like to be a woman, a really hot woman.

Jack: Oh. Uh... not that hot.

Pacey: I'm not?

Jack: Not really. I mean--look, could we-- what are we gonna do here, all right? You wanna go over and tell him or should I?

Pacey: What? We can't tell him now. He's gonna think that I purposefully deceived him.

Jack: All right, so I'll go over, and I will just explain to him what an idiot you are.

Pacey: Or we could just gloss over that idiot thing for the next little while, until he agrees to do the story, because he is a major critic, and this would mean a ton of business for my restaurant.

Jack: I know. I know, but what are you gonna do when he asks you for your number, huh?

Pacey: I will look him right in the eye and give him your phone number.

Jack: You wouldn't— no. Come on. We're tellin' the truth.

Pacey: [Groans]

[Scene: The radio station. Jen is in the booth with Steve and Wynn interviewing them on the air.]

[Music ends]

Jen: [Sighs] All right, uh, so we are back, uh, folks, with veneer in town 2 nights, opening for North America, on their aptly titled North American tour.

Steve: You know, I never really got that. We never went to Canada, not once.

Wynn: Or Mexico.

Steve: Chicago twice.

Jen: Uh, listen, so opening sucks, right?

Wynn: No, not when you're opening for a totally rockin' band like North America.

Jen: Yeah, but seriously, uh, there's a whole crowd that's not there to see you. They're impatient. They just wanna get it over with.

Steve: True, but, you know, sometimes you win them over, and then the victory's even sweeter.

Jen: How so?

Steve: Well, more than likely they prejudged you. They've taken one look at you, and they've said, "no, not for me." And then we proceed to rock. We don't ask for a lot.

[Scene: The movie Theater. Joey and Dawson are walking in to the seating area, and Dawson points down to 2 empty seat.]

Dawson: Here is good.

Joey: Yeah.

[Joey goes and takes a seat, and notices Wilder walking in at the same time to take a seat]

Dawson: [Sighs] You sure you don't wanna just go over and say hi?

Joey: God, no. How embarrassing would that be? I mean, he's obviously on a date or something.

Dawson: Yeah, but if he sees you, isn't he gonna wonder why you didn't say something?

Joey: What's the movie about anyway?

Dawson: [Laughs] She says, changing the subject.

Joey: Well?

Dawson: Uh, Humphrey Bogart is a struggling screenwriter, uh, accused of m*rder. It's--it's noir except it's not, so the whole thing is sort of famously ambiguous.

Joey: So you pretty much have to be a film geek to wanna see it.

Dawson: Or you have to be a really good friend of the film geek.

Joey: Right. Like us. They could just be friends.

Dawson: Your teacher and the girl he's kissing? [Joey turns to see Wilder and the woman kissing very passionately] Joey? Do you have a crush on your English professor?

Joey: What? No. It's--it's weird.

Dawson: It's not that weird. Teachers do have personal lives. They have been known to kiss people from time to time.

Joey: Yeah, lots of people. [The lights go down.] It's starting.
[Scene: The Radio Station. Audrey and Wynn are sitting on a couch talking to one another again.]

Wynn: So what's he like? This guy you're so afraid to admit you're gaga over.

Audrey: I am not gaga.

Wynn: Excuse me? How well do we know each other now?

Audrey: Not at all.

Wynn: Uh, which is exactly why you should tell me the truth. My advice will be totally neutral.

Audrey: He's... a cook. Well, he bakes bread, actually. And he just so happens to be my roommate's ex-boyfriend.

Wynn: Mmm. Minor league. What other excuses are you gonna throw at me? Come on, I've heard them all.

Audrey: You've never heard this one.

Wynn: Try me.

Audrey: Do you believe in god?

Wynn: That depends.

Audrey: It can't depend. Either you do or you don't.

Wynn: It depends whether you're gonna ruin a perfectly decent evening by trying to convert me to something.

Audrey: My roommate... she got mugged the other night.

Wynn: I'm sorry.

Audrey: Anyway, she... left me this message, which, of course, I didn't get until the next morning, because I was having sex with her ex-boyfriend. And on it, she said that she was ok and that she was spending the night with a friend and not to worry.

Wynn: But you did.

Audrey: Yeah. I could tell by her voice that something was really, really wrong. So I... made this deal with god. I said "god, please let Joey be ok. "Like, really and truly ok, "and I will walk the path of moral righteousness. I will do everything right for a change."

Wynn: So no more trying to pick up guys in rock and roll bands?

Audrey: [Laughs] Well, god doesn't want me to be nun.

Wynn: Oh, he just wants you to give up this one particular guy.

Audrey: Yes. I mean, he must, you know? It's got to be, like, some kind of sign. Otherwise, this whole thing with Pacey is just too...

Wynn: too what?

Audrey: Easy.

Wynn: Maybe that's your sign.

[Audrey begins to see the logic]

[Scene: In another room. Jen and Steve are sitting on a couch talking.]

Jen: Ok, I didn't say funny, I said clever.

Steve: Oh, and clever is bad?

Jen: Clever is distancing. Clever puts up this wall between you and the audience. So you can't trust clever.

Steve: I see. So in general, you trust passion. Has passion always steered you right in life?

Jen: Well, I mean, no, not in life, but...

Steve: but in art.

Jen: Yeah, but art is supposed to be passionate. Art is supposed to make you feel—

Steve: no, no. Life is supposed to make you feel. Art is supposed to make you feel good.

Jen: Is that all that art is supposed to do?

Steve: No, but if you need it to do more, then... maybe there's something wrong with your life.

Jen: Are you saying that there is something wrong with my life?

Steve: I--I don't know. I don't really know you that well. For example, do you have a boyfriend?

Jen: You already asked me that.

Steve: You didn't answer.

Jen: Well, why do you keep asking?

Steve: Because I'm interested.

Jen: [Sighs] In what?

Steve: In you.

[He begins to pull colder to her and she stops him]

Jen: Oh, gosh, no... I do have a boyfriend.

Steve: You're making it up. Just now. You're making that up.

Jen: No. No, really. Um... I do have a boyfriend, and he's a really nice guy. And I... wouldn't in a hundred million years, do anything to hurt him. So...

Steve: I got it.

Jen: Ok. Good.

[Scene: The bar. Pacey is still at the table talking to Jeff about the food at the restaurant. Jack is just sitting there bored out of his mind with his chin rested on his hands.]

Jeff: The carbonara's not a cream sauce?

Pacey: No. It's raw egg yolk, actually. So while it could k*ll you, who wants to live in a world where food isn't an adventure, right?

Jeff: [Laughs]

[Jack interrupts Pacey]

Jack: Now.

Pacey: Right, um... Jeff, there's something I gotta tell ya. I'm not, uh... the thing is, I'm not totally... totally, uh...

Jeff: available? You're not available. That's what you're trying to say.

Pacey: Yes. That's exactly what I'm trying to say.

Jeff: I sort of suspected. You seem very... together.

Pacey: And we are.

[He puts his arm around Jack]

Jeff: Well, it was nice meeting you both. [Jeff stands up to leave] You know, I don't usually do this, but what the hell. [Sighs] If you guys ever break up, give me a call sometime.

[He hands Jack one of his cards]

Pacey: What just happened right there? I think that I should be insulted on several different levels about that.

Jack: [Chuckles] Pacey, you're not gay.

Pacey: Well, I know that and you know that, but he doesn't know that. So far as he's concerned, you're my boyfriend.

[Scene: The theater. Joey and Dawson are sitting together watching the film, but you can tell that Joey has other things on her mind]

Bogart: I know. It's just another picture.

Man: Are you in any position to be choosy? You haven't written a hit since before the w*r. And your last picture--

Bogart: So it stunk. Everybody makes flops except you. You haven't had one because you've made and re-made the same picture for the last 20 years. You know what you are? You're a popcorn salesman.

Man: That's right. So are you. The only difference between us is that I don't fight it.

Bogart: One day I'll surprise you and write something good.

Man: Althea Bruce will do it.

Bogart: Althea Bruce—

Man: All you gotta do is follow the book...

[Joey sees Wilder get up and leave, and gets up to follow after him]

Joey: excuse me.

Second man: Hiya, kiddies. What a picture I made. Just got back from the preview. Pasadena's out of its mind...

[Out at the concession stand. Wilder is just standing there all alone, and Joey walks us behind him]

Wilder: great title. I think I might steal it for something.

Joey: How'd you know it was me?

Wilder: Saw you when you came in. Should I be jealous?

Joey: Are you jealous?

Wilder: [Exhales] Like Medea.

Joey: He's just a friend.

Wilder: Mine's not.

Joey: Not what?

Wilder: A friend. I mean, she is, but, sometimes we go out, and we have a few drinks, we go back to my place. She forgets why I'm not right for her.

Joey: Why are you telling me this?

Wilder: I'm trying to get you to hate me.

Joey: Well, it's working. So what is the best ending in all of literature? Don't say Ulysses. Everyone says Ulysses.

Wilder: That's easy. Sentimental education by Flaubert.

Joey: And what happens?

Wilder: Nothing, really. Just 2 old friends sitting around remembering the best thing that never happened to them.

Joey: How do you remember something that never happened?

Wilder: Fondly. You see, Flaubert believed that anticipation was the purest form of pleasure... and the most reliable. And that while the things that actually happen to you would invariable disappoint, the things that never happened to you would never dim. Never fade. They would always be engraved in your heart with a sort of sweet sadness.

Joey: That sounds...

Wilder: deep?

Joey: Cowardly.

Wilder: [Sighs] Well, uh, us academics aren't generally known for—

[She kisses him]

Joey: courage.

Wilder: Wow. God is really punishing me here.

Joey: For what?

Wilder: I don't know. I must have done something to a girl when I was 18. You're not trying to tempt me into reconsidering, are you?

Joey: No. We don't know each other very well, do we?

Wilder: No, we don't.

Joey: You have this image of me, this not-entirely-true image of me.

Wilder: As a 19th-century heroine?

Joey: Yeah. And even though that's not true, I'd rather you go on thinking that it is.

Wilder: I think that can be arranged. I should probably get back. Are we ok here?

Joey: We're fine.

[He begins to walk away, but stops and turns back to her]

Wilder: In 5 years... you're gonna know everything I know and more. And I will seem like the biggest dork you ever met.

[Scene: The Concession stand. Joey is sitting on a bench with a box of popcorn, when Dawson comes out alone carrying their coats.]

Dawson: Hey.

Joey: Hey. I was just about to come back inside.

Dawson: Don't bother. Would you care to elaborate on what you were saying earlier?

Joey: [Sighs] You'll miss the rest of your movie.

Dawson: [Laughs] I have a feeling this might be a little more interesting.

[They leave the theater, and begins walking along the streets together.]

Joey: Did you ever meet someone who saw you... I mean, really saw you... but somehow, only saw the best?

Dawson: You mean besides you?

Joey: Not that. I mean, someone older. Someone who saw everything you could be. If only...

Dawson: if only what?

Joey: If only you weren't you.

Dawson: [Chuckles] Well, after tonight, I kinda think you might not be. You kissed your professor.

Joey: [Laughs]

Dawson: You kissed the guy who gives you grades.

Joey: Is this constructive?

Dawson: Sorry.

Joey: So the worst part is, is that that night when you called from the movie set...

Dawson: yeah?

Joey: I was there at his house. Alone. And I went there saying to myself that I was just going to straighten everything out.

Dawson: Mm-hmm. But really, you were going over there to make things more complicated.

Joey: I don't think the answer to that would sound very like-like.

Dawson: I think we're gonna have to come up with a new definition for the term like-like.

Joey: Anyway, so you called, I left, and I obviously didn't go back, which is probably a good thing, because... I would have made a gigantic fool of myself.

Dawson: Don't say that. You took a risk. You lived. You experienced something, right?

Joey: I guess. But now I'll never know.

Dawson: Never know what?

Joey: What I would have done... at that moment of truth. You know, would I have chickened out, would I have gone through with it? The only way to know would be to—

Dawson: stop time. Go backwards.

Joey: Yeah.

Dawson: Would you wanna do that if you could?

Joey: No. And I know that sounds strange.

Dawson: Everything happens for a reason, right?

Joey: It's not so bad, really. The not knowing. It has this... sweet sadness to it.

Dawson: Hmm. I think I'm familiar with that feeling.

[Scene: The bar. Jack and Pacey are sittin alone at one of the tables talking to each other.]

Pacey: [Sighs] You know, I gotta admit, Jack, I never really pegged you as the type of guy who would come into a place like this alone.

Jack: I'm not alone.

Pacey: [Clears throat] Heh. That's a good point.

Jack: Actually, Audrey brought me here the night you cooked us all dinner. You know, that's... that's kind of the essence of Audrey, isn't it? I mean, she just zeros in on the one thing that you're slightly afraid of, and then she just does not take no for an answer. That's a good quality to have in a person.

Pacey: Yes, it is.

Jack: Yeah. I wonder who does that for her?

Pacey: [Laughs] Ok, uh, I think I'm gonna go, uh...

Jack: chase the girls.

Pacey: Yes, and chase the girls. Are you gonna come or what?

Jack: No, I think I'm gonna hang.

Pacey: Ok, cool. I'll see you around, man.

Jack: Ok.

[Scene: Outside the Radio Station. Audrey and Wynn are next the to their band's van, getting ready to leave, and Steve and Jen are just coming out of the station]

Wynn: Take care, Audrey.

Audrey: Oh, man. Thanks.

[They hug]

Wynn: It's been thoroughly, uh... slanted and enchanted.

Audrey: Well, thank you, I think, and, um... thanks for the advice.

Wynn: No problem. [Yells] Are you comin', Steve?

Audrey: Yeah, in a sec.

Wynn: Bye.

Audrey: See ya.

[Wynn gets into the van]

Steve: So, your-- your boyfriend. I mean, it must have been love at first sight. I mean, a beautiful girl like you.

Jen: See, we were-- we were friends first.

Steve: Friends?

Jen: Yeah.

Steve: So no passion?

Jen: Did I say that?

Steve: No, but you did say that you don't trust passion.

Jen: Yeah, but just because 2 people are friends first doesn't mean that they don't have any passion in their relationship.

Steve: Look, I'm sorry. I didn't--- I don't mean to insult your relationship. I mean, it's just... I believe in the connection. You know, that gut reaction that says "this person, this stranger... is meant to be a part of my life," and I don't know. I--I guess I just felt that for you tonight.

Jen: Yeah, well, that's a really easy thing for you to say, isn't it? Some rock and roll guy who just comes into town for 24 hours and then leaves?

Steve: Well, in that case...

[He goes to the van and pulls out some T-Shirts]

Steve: Just a little somethin' to remember us by.

Jen: [Chuckles] Thanks.

Steve: Don't mention it.

Jen: Bye.

Steve: Bye.

[Steve gets into the van and Jen goes and stands next to Audrey]

Audrey: You know, this was so not the night I expected.

Jen: Yeah, I know. Sorry I took the single one.

Audrey: Nah, it happens. You know, maybe it's god's way of telling me I'm not as single as I thought I was.

[The van pulls away, and we see Pacey standing next to his car.]

Audrey: Mmm... or maybe that is. Aah!

Jen: Go. Go on. Make him happy.

Audrey: Why would I wanna do a thing like that?

Jen: Ok, fine. Go make him miserable. I don't care. Just go to him.

Audrey: Ok. Bye.

Jen: Bye, sweetie.

[Audrey goes over to Pacey, as Jen walks off in the other direction]

Pacey: She need a ride?

Audrey: She's, um, got a car.

Pacey: Do you need a ride?

Audrey: [Sighs] I need a life.

Pacey: Yeah, you do, don't ya?

Audrey: Look, Pacey... I think I need to apologize.

Pacey: To me?

Audrey: I kinda maybe overreacted a little.

Pacey: You don't say?

Audrey: I can't help it, ok? Happiness, it freaks me out. It's like all those perfectly manicured lawns at the beginning of blue velvet, you know? You just know something evil lurks beneath.

Pacey: You know what the real problem is here, don't you, Audrey?

Audrey: No, please enlighten me.

Pacey: You are much more afraid to have sex with me the second time than you were the first. You see, I've had a very educational night tonight at my favorite gay bar, and what I've come up with is I'm just simply not gonna take no for an answer.

Audrey: Well, that's not very pc of you.

Pacey: No, it's not, and this probably isn't, either.

[He kisses her]

Pacey: Mmm. So what made you change your mind, anyway?

Audrey: I met this really hot guy in the band.

Pacey: Wait a minute. This hot guy was...

[She kisses him, before he can get another word out.]

[Scene: Dawson's Bedroom. Dawson is lying ion bed reading a book, when Jen comes upstairs carrying the T-shirt that Steve gave her.]

Jen: I brought you a t-shirt.

Dawson: Cool.

Jen: [Laughs] Would I bring you anything less?

Dawson: [Chuckles]

Jen: [Sighs] Mmm. So how's Joey?

Dawson: Would you believe she almost had an affair with her English professor?

Jen: Joey?

Dawson: Mm-hmm.

Jen: Joey potter?

Dawson: Yeah.

Jen: Wow.

Dawson: It was bizarre, actually. It was, like, almost like meeting a new person or something.

Jen: What does that mean?

Dawson: I don't know. I just... well, like, talking to her tonight, I just realized how much time has passed... how much we've all changed.

Jen: And it's so bad?

Dawson: Not necessarily.

Jen: [Sighs] Can I ask you something?

Dawson: What?

Jen: Do you think that when, uh, when 2 people are in a relationship, that they should be passionate about the same things in order for it to work?

Dawson: No. Not as long as they're passionate about each other.

Jen: And we are. Right? We're passionate about each other.

Dawson: You're not having doubts about us, are you?

Jen: No. No, I'm just tired. I don't know. Insane.

Dawson: [Laughs]

[He puts down his book, and they curl up together, and lie in each other's arms as the camera pulls away]