05x09 - Hotel New Hampshire

Episode transcripts for the TV show, "Dawson's Creek". Aired: January 1998 to May 2003.*
Watch/Buy Amazon  Merchandise

Four friends in a small coastal town help each other cope with adolescence.

05x09 - Hotel New Hampshire

Post by destinyros2005 »

Episode 509 - Hotel New Hampshire

[Scene: Pacey's Boat Pacey and Dawson are sitting at the table talking to each other.]

Pacey: so, how you been doing, man?

Dawson: You know. For the most part, I'm fine.

Pacey: For the most part, which I'm going to interpret as meaning that even though you're not going down in flames right now, you do have something on your mind, so why don't you just tell me what's on your mind?

Dawson: [Sighs] Nothing. Really. Which--I don't know-- to tell you the truth, is kind of the problem. I can't figure out what the hell to do with myself.

Pacey: And you're definitely not gonna go back to U.S.C., Huh?

Dawson: No, and that I know is a right decision. But unfortunately, it's about all I know.

[Both laugh]

Pacey: I mean, come on, man. You gotta cut yourself a little bit of a break here. Life did just throw you one hell of a curve ball. All you really need is time, because before you know it, you're gonna be back in the saddle, full of confidence, up to your old tricks. And you have come to the right place.

Dawson: Oh, yeah?

Pacey: Well, yeah, man. You're talking to the king of directionless himself. What do you think I was doing with all those years of high school folly? I was perfecting the life without purpose.

Dawson: You know, last year, you probably could have gotten away with a burst of self-deprecation like that. But this year, Pacey, you seem fairly driven.

Pacey: Yeah, I know. It's terrible, isn't it? But what can I say? I love the kitchen life. I even love the crass kitchen attitude. Sandwich?

Dawson: Sure.

Pacey: But inevitably, along with the crass kitchen attitude comes the grillside drama.

Dawson: Oh?

Pacey: Yeah. It all started with me trying to help this girl out of her very self-destructive relationship. But then you throw in a little dash of my very poorly thought out attraction to her and her absolute lack of attraction to me. You kind of get where I'm coming from.

Dawson: [Laughs] Oh, that sucks. You wanna talk about it?

Pacey: Nah. To tell you the truth, it's really not all that interesting. And it's nothing you should be troubling yourself with, you know, given everything that's been on your mind lately.

Dawson: [Sighs] Ahem. Well... for what it's worth, the Pacey I know would figure out a way to help the girl, no matter what the drama.

Pacey: Is that so?

Dawson: Without a doubt.

[Opening Credits]

[Commercial Break]

[Scene: Jen's House. Joey and Jen are sitting at the table studying. Jen is getting tired of it.]

Jen: Ok. Joey, it's time for a study break. I've been nodding off on the same sentence to the point of drool. It's just-- it's not pretty.

Joey: You don't have to ask me twice.

Jen: Ahh, sweet.

Joey: Hey, where's Jack?

Jen: Deep in the land of frat.

Joey: Did he tell you about this winter formal thing?

Jen: Um, yeah. That actually sounds vaguely familiar to me, but... to be quite honest, all the Greek-speak sounds like, well, Greek to me.

Joey: [Laughs] I get it. He wouldn't think of asking you to the caveman hoopla, so I get stuck with the surrogate date duties.

Jen: I feel for you. I do. Watching Jack pretend to be one with the thick-necked brotherhood. Ruh ruh.

Joey: Come on, it can't be that bad, right?

Jen: Well, I'm sure that grams has some prescription medication somewhere that would help you a lot through this, Joey.

Joey: [Laughs] Thanks, but I think I'll manage. Hey, Jen? Um... speaking of the men in our lives... how's Dawson these days?

Jen: You're asking me?

Joey: Well, it's, you know-- I haven't seen him for a while, and I know that you two hang out and... I guess I just needed to know that he's doing all right.

Jen: He's better. He, um, he's been seeing a shrink. Which I think is really good for him, you know? He's gonna be fine.

Joey: Good. It's exactly what I needed to hear. It's been, um... it's been kind of hard getting used to not... being the one to see him through this, you know.

Jen: Right.

Joey: I think I'm finally ok with it, which is even harder to admit without feeling like a total jerk.

Jen: Oh, stop it, Joey. You're not a jerk.

Joey: Well, anyway, I've been meaning to tell you that I can't think of a better person to be there for him right now than you. I'm really glad that you're there for him.

Jen: Thank you.

[Scene: The Frat House. Everyone is there going over what needs to be done for the party.]

Polar bear: All right. Simmer down, ladies. No offense, Jack.

[All laugh]

Polar bear: We got a lot to do for tonight's formal and precious little time after this meeting. So let's get to it. A--this is our biggest event before the break, b--it must be perfect, and c-- everybody... must get laid.

[Cheering and yelling]

Polar bear: You should all be hooked up with a date by now. But for those of you chumps without one... meet the list. Yeah, the list. On the spirit of house love, I need names, people. Decent-looking honeys ready to put out.

Guy1: What about Debbie?

Guy2: How about Suzanne?

[Shouting]

Guy3: What about-- what about those fine-ass Worthington chicks?

All: Yeah!

Guy3: Come on, dog, we know you got some hottie friends.

Polar bear: And we know you're not looking to score with 'em.

[All laugh]

Frat brother: Talk! Talk! Come on, please talk!

Jack: All right! All right! All right! I may know a girl that meets the specified requirements.

Eric: Hey! I got dibs on whatever this guy's got. Ok, I've seen these quality chicks Mcphee hangs with.

[Laughs]

Polar bear: So our main man Eric has got himself a date.

[Yelling and cheering]

[Scene: Karen's Apartment. Karen answers the door to find Pacey outside.]

Pacey: Ok. Now, I am aware of how absurd what I am about to say is gonna sound. But I'm also aware of how miserable your current love life can make you sometimes. And I can't just sit around that kitchen anymore and watch you hurt, especially when I know that I can do something about it, so I'm here to ask you out, Karen.

Karen: I can't go on a date with you, Pacey.

Pacey: Ok, that's fine. Then you don't really have to think of it as a date so much. You can think of it as an opportunity to compare and contrast. A free trial run of a life without heartache.

Karen: Pacey, you know I can't.

Pacey: Actually, I know that you can, Karen. Because, look, you need a break from your relationship. I mean, hell, I need a break from your relationship. And I promise to wear clean socks, leave all the kinky underwear at home. I might even stop by C.V.S. And steal myself a bottle of cologne. So what do you say? Yeah? Do I have any reason to feel hope here? I mean, you have my word. I'll keep this whole thing completely platonic.

Karen: Fine. A friendly outing on the town. Nothing more.

Pacey: Excellent. You rock. So I'll pick you up around 7:00?

Karen: 7:00.

[Scene: Rachel's office. Dawson is sitting and talking things over with Rachel.]

Rachel: So this is your friend Pacey you're talking about?

Dawson: Yeah, but it's not just him. It's all my friends. It's like, they-- it's been 2 months, and everybody's still-- they're holding things back from me, like they're trying to protect me. I mean, they look at me like this--as this... fragile, breakable thing instead of just Dawson, the person. And I know they mean well. It's just... it makes it virtually impossible to move on.

Rachel: Have you mentioned this to any of them?

Dawson: Yeah. Well... no, actually. No, I haven't mentioned it to them.

Rachel: What about that film festival you told me about? Isn't that coming up?

Dawson: This weekend.

Rachel: Are you going?

Dawson: Hadn't planned on it, no.

Rachel: It might be good to take life on the road for a little while. Help clear your mind. You could even take one of those friends you feel so estranged from. Come on, there must be someone you can take.

[Scene: The radio Station. Jen is on the air announcing the new songs.]

Jen: Well, this little ditty goes out to all you brave souls out there surviving a heartbreak. Trust me, better things will come.

[Liz Phair's Ride playing]

[Jen looks up to see Nora outside.]

[Turns down music]

Nora: Hello.

Jen: Hey! Oh, and don't worry, our duplicitous sleazebag formerly known as our boyfriend Charlie is not here today.

Nora: Ah, that's a good thing.

Jen: Yeah, that's always a good thing. You know what? Even if he were here, it wouldn't really matter to me.

Nora: Really?

Jen: Yep. I think that time has finally done its healing thing.

[Jen notices that she has a weird look on her face.]

Jen: Hey, what's up?

Nora: Nothing. I just wish I had your self-control. I mean, I know I should be puking at the mere mention of Charlie's name, but I find myself daydreaming about him. His latest attempt to woo us back with that whole "I've changed" pitch.

Jen: Uh, wait. Which "I've changed" pitch?

Nora: You know, all those corny love letters he keeps sending. Doesn't it seem sometimes, you know, in that moment you crawl into bed alone, like, "hey, maybe he really did change"?

Jen: [Sighs] Gosh. I don't know which love letters you mean.

Nora: Oh. Hasn't he been sending you letters?

Jen: No.

Nora: Oh. Wow.

Jen: So he's trying to woo you back with love letters, huh? That's—

Nora: Jen, I'm so sorry. Are you ok?

Jen: No, no, no. Please. Please don't apologize. I swear it's fine. I was just saying to you that it doesn't matter to me.

[Scene: A coffee house. Jen is crying on the couch, and Dawson puts his arm around her and pulls her to him to try and comfort her.]

Jen: I want corny love letters. I just don't understand why he chose her and not me. Is there something wrong with me?

Dawson: Jen, there's nothing wrong with you.

Jen: It's just-- all this time, I thought he was cheating on us on equal ground, you know? But, no, she got to be the girlfriend and I was just the... floozie.

Dawson: The floozie?

Jen: Yeah.

Dawson: [Laughs] The floozie?

Jen: [Laughing] It's what I am. A floozie.

Dawson: Oh, Jen.

[]

Jen: This is supposed to be the other way around. I'm supposed to be consoling you, you know.

Dawson: No, please. It's the least I can do. And believe it or not, it's helping me. A lot.

Jen: I just don't wanna be here. The thought of running into either of them makes me wanna puke.

Dawson: Ok, so let's get out of here, then. This weekend.

Jen: Well, I'm game. Where do you wanna go?

Dawson: You ever been to Hooksett, new Hampshire?

Jen: No. [Laughs]

[Commercial Break]

[Scene: Joey's Dorm room. Joey and Audrey are getting ready for the Frat party.]

Audrey: Can I tell you something? I am so psyched to be going to this formal thing. I was so excited when Jack called. Ok, granted, last-minute arrangements can be kind of annoying, not to mention blind dates can be as dangerous as gator wrestling. Joey. You're hogging the mirror.

Joey: Oh. Ow. Freak.

Audrey: Oh, god! Hello, hideous. Do I even like any of my clothes?

Joey: Audrey, you look great. Besides, I really don't know what the big deal is. I mean as much as I want to give Jack credit, I'm sure it's just another night of frat debauchery masquerading as an event.

Audrey: Ok, killjoy. First off, Jack said this Eric guy is hella'cute, which right off, sounds pretty interesting to me. And secondly, for someone as progressive as you, it's amazing how closed-minded you are about frats.

Joey: The words "progressive" and "frat" do not belong together in the same sentence.

[Audrey puts on another coat]

Audrey: What about this one? Joey, we're going on a double date. A little cheer, please.

Joey: Ok, ok. Well, if nothing else, at least I'll have a good time with Jack, right?

[Knock on door]

Audrey: Wait, wait. Ok.

Jack: Hey.

Joey: Hey, handsome.

Jack: Wow! Joey, you look beautiful.

Joey: Thank you.

Jack: Audrey. Hi. How you doing?

Audrey: I'm great.

Jack: Good. Good. Eric, this is Joey.

Eric: Hey. Nice to meet you.

Joey: Nice to meet you.

Eric: This is Audrey.

Audrey: Hi.

Eric: Hi. Jack was right. You're a stone fox.

Audrey: Thank you. You know, I guess you'll have to do. [Laughs] Well, let's go.

Jack: Shall we?

Joey: Yeah, yeah, let's go.

[Scene: The Hotel in New Hampshire. Dawson and Jen walk up to the Counter to check in.]

Woman: Can I help you yet?

Dawson: Yeah. I'm Dawson Leery, checking in for the film festival.

Woman: Oh, my god! You're totally wicked cute. Way cuter than the picture.

Dawson: There's a picture?

Woman: Mm-hmm. [] Oh. Is this your girlfriend?

Jen: Ha! Ha! Ha!

Guy: Oh, cool! Your movie's awesome! Your screening sold out. You b*at Oliver, you know? He's like the biggest thing around these parts.

Dawson: I'm sorry. Who's Oliver?

Woman: He's our local celebrity.

Guy: I don't see what the big deal is, though. Ask me, he looks kind of Ret*rded.

Woman: He's like, eccentric, Trevor. God!

[Dawson and Jen go upstairs to their room.]

Dawson: Ok, let me make this clear. It is more than an option to turn around and go back home right now.

Jen: Oh, I don't think so. Granted, the people of this town are a little...off, but who can deny that we could both use the love? And what better way to spend an evening than as girlfriend to the biggest celebrity in town?

Dawson: Gee, honey, you shouldn't have.

Jen: Well... wow!

[They open the door to the room to see the honeymoons suite.]

[Scene: The Frat Party. Joey, Jack, Audrey and Eric have all just arrived.]

Joey: You guys really went all out.

Guy1: Sigma Ep. Expect nothing less.

Guy2: Way to deliver, man.

Guy3: Score, big daddy. Score.

Joey: What was that?

Jack: Nothing. The guys just being idiots.

Eric: Take your coats, ladies?

Audrey: Ok.

Joey: You know, Jen should be sharing in this pain right now. I should call her.

Jack: No can do. She's gone for the weekend with Dawson.

[Scene: At a seafood restaurant. Pacey and Karen are on their date.]

Karen: That was great.

Pacey: Thanks. [To the waiter] Just the check, please. Thank you. [to Karen] So?

Karen: What?

Pacey: Oh, come on. Was this good, or was this good? Now give me a little bit of credit here because I saw the look on your face when we came in.

Karen: I did not have a face.

Pacey: You had a face. But let's get back to giving me credit, shall we? You may also have noticed that tonight I have kept us in very crowded places because I wouldn't want you to be tempted to jump me on our non-date evening.

Karen: Well, I mean, you are wearing that really sexy outfit. Damn. Who would have thought you'd clean up so good? And you're so right. A lesser guy would have not afforded my self-control such a generous security blanket. You've saved me from myself.

Pacey: Well, it hasn't been easy, let me tell you.

[Karen chuckles]

Pacey: And I know you don't like hearing this, Karen, but you do deserve better than being Brecher's illicit affair. A woman who is as giving and as beautiful as yourself deserves someone who's gonna be there loving you back just as hard.

[Scene: Outside the theater. Jen and Dawson are leaving the theater after watching one of the films up for the award.]

Dawson: Ok. That was good.

Jen: Yeah, that was really good.

Dawson: Which just kinda puts the final nail in the coffin.

Jen: What nail? What coffin?

Dawson: How did I get top prize? I mean, either my dad donated a wing to the Hooksett public library, or these people have no idea what's good and what's bad.

Jen: Ok. This has gotta stop.

Dawson: What's gotta stop?

Jen: This--the people of this town are perfectly nice. And you blaming them for bad taste is obviously just a way to undermine your own artistic abilities. And you have a tremendous talent, so would you please stop putting yourself down? Or I'll have to break up with you.

Dawson: You can't break up with me. You'll never break up with me. The physical attraction is far too strong.

Jen: You got me there, tiger.

[Oliver comes out of the theater and walks over to them.]

Oliver: Hey! Leery? Your movie better be good, man. This festival consistently gives the first prize to a film with a fresh voice and unique vision. I've won it 3 years in a row, and I just don't like the idea of being usurped by a Hollywood slickster, you know? It's just not cool. [Turns to Jen and says.] Hi. You're really pretty.

Jen: Who's gonna argue?

[Scene: Outside Karen's apartment. Pacey is walking Karen home after their date.]

Pacey: No after-dinner cigarette?

Karen: No cigarette. I tend to only smoke when I'm nervous or severely annoyed.

Pacey: So, then, not nervous or severely annoyed? I guess I should take that as a good sign. In fact, I don't think I saw you yell or complain all night long. It's amazing what being out of civilization does for a girl. If I didn't know you better, I would say that you positively light up.

Karen: Now, don't go ruin the moment with unnecessary compliments.

Pacey: And why not? Enough of the cynicism. I say that we ruin this night silly with unnecessary flattery. Karen Torres, you are a beautiful young woman with fantastic taste in clothing, and although your jokes do tend to b*mb, you make up for it with that sparkling smile of yours. Ok. Now, it's your turn.

Karen: I had a great time tonight, Pacey.

Pacey: Yeah, I'll take that.

Karen: Thank you.

Pacey: You know, just seeing you have a good time is thanks enough. Anyway, uh... good night, Karen.

[He goes to kiss her on the cheek, and she turns his face and kisses him full on the mouth. They begin making out and make their way into the apartment, where Karen pushes him down on the couch and jumps on top of him.]

[Commercial Break]
[Scene: The theater just after seeing Dawson's film on A.I. Brooks]

Announcer: The first time I saw this documentary, I knew I was in the hands of a talented filmmaker, but I was equally moved by a letter which accompanied the film's submission. It was a letter from the filmmaker's father telling me that I absolutely could not ignore his son's work. Honestly, I was predisposed to hate the film because, well, it didn't show up until 3 days passed the deadline. But I'm a father myself, and I know a thing or two about parental pride. So I grudgingly put the video in the VCR. And after 5 minutes, I knew Mitch Leery was right. I absolutely could not ignore his son's work. So, ladies and gentlemen, I give you the filmmaker behind this year's top prize film... Dawson Leery.

[After some coxing from Jen he goes up to the podium.]

Dawson: Uh... I don't know what to say. My dad... loved movies. He loved them, uh, in the truest sense in that he had no interest in making them. He just... he loved watching them. He started taking me to movies at a very early age. I loved it. He would take me to movies and then, uh... and then talk to me about them. And thank god he did. Um, 'cause there's no way I would be here right now if he hadn't done that. Um, thank you so much for this award and for receiving this film so warmly. I dedicate this film to my dad, and I will remember him every time I look at this. So, thank you. And a very special thank you to my girlfriend Jen Lindsey.

[She smiles and blushes a little]

[Scene: The Frat Party. Audrey and Eric are sitting at a bench talking. Audrey is not having much fun.]

Eric: I'm-- I'm not saying that I bench that much yet. But I mean, some of the guys, they do. It's crazy. So, um, what gym do you go to?

[Someone screams]

[Eric puts his arm around Audrey's shoulder]

Audrey: What are you doing?

Eric: Nothing. You want another drink?

[Scene: The Frat party. Jack is by the bar when Eric goes up to him.]

Eric: Hey! Mcphee! I'm beginning to think you lied to me, man.

Jack: What are you talking about?

Eric: Audrey. This chick, she's all tease and no please.

Jack: Come on. It's only halfway through the night. I mean, give her some time. She'll come around.

Eric: God, I don't know, man. It's like I gave her my best moves and my best lines, and it... zzz! Nothing! What if she turns out to be a prude?

Jack: What? No, no. Believe me. Look, the last thing Audrey is is a prude. I don't know what you're so worried about, man. I mean, Audrey's easy, all right. She's just looking to have a good time. I know for a fact that she was psyched to come here tonight. You just, you know, play your cards right and she'll hook up with you for sure.

[He turns around to see that Joey was standing behind him when he said this]

[Scene: Karen's Apartment. Pacey is getting dressed and getting ready to leave.]

Pacey: Look, I know that this is complicated. And despite what were my best intentions, I promise you I know that I haven't helped, but there's no reason why we can't work this out.

Karen: This doesn't change anything, Pacey. This doesn't mean that we're in a relationship.

Pacey: Well, I know that we're not having a relationship, but now—

Karen: then why the hell did you start this in the first place?

Pacey: Hold on a second here. You kissed me. Remember?

Karen: That was a mistake. Ok? You're not worth what I'm risking.

Pacey: So, then why did you do it?

Karen: I don't know.

Pacey: Did you sleep with me to get back at Brecher? You did, didn't you?

Karen: It's not that simple.

Pacey: No, it is that simple.

[Scene: At a party for the contestants of the film festival.]

Photographer: Ok. Let's squeeze in on the sides. Good. Hold it. Ok. Thanks a lot, guys. Appreciate it.

[The contestants are getting their pictures taken together.]

Oliver: You know, you're really pissing me off, Leery. I mean, I used to take pride in thinking that I was the only geek in America that knew who A.I. Brooks was. Seriously, though, man, your flick is fantastic. I'm blown away.

Dawson: Thank you.

Oliver: You know, you're not half the goon I thought you were.

Dawson: I'm not a, uh, Hollywood slickster?

Oliver: Ok. Ok. I can get a little carried away sometimes. So? How do you like 'sc?

Dawson: Uh, dropped out, actually. Um, it just wasn't for me. What about you? Your movie is worthy of great stuff. Why are you hanging around here?

Oliver: Well, here is where I grew up. I go to school in Boston. This really weird visual arts place full of freaks and misfits. And you know, it might suit you. Yeah, you should, uh, come check it out sometime.

Dawson: Definitely. Thank you. I might.

Oliver: Cool. Ah, here comes your girl.

Dawson: She's, uh...

Oliver: hi.

Jen: Hey.

Dawson: Jen, this is Oliver.

Jen: Oh. Yeah. God. Your movie was fantastic.

Oliver: Thanks. Um, and you're still really pretty.

Jen: Thank you.

Oliver: I was just about to tell Dawson how lucky he is. You guys make a great couple.

Jen: Well, thank you. Very much.

Oliver: No problem. Um, I'll see you around?

Dawson: Yeah. See ya.

[Jen laughs]

Jen: Did you hear that, baby? You're lucky to have me.

Dawson: That's an understatement if I ever heard one.

[Scene: The Frat party. Jack and Joey are in a heated discussion on what just happened.]

Jack: What?

Joey: How do you get off talking about Audrey like that?

Jack: You yourself used to talk about her like that.

Joey: Yeah, but that's before I knew her. I wasn't going around selling her to the highest bidder.

Jack: It was just stupid, harmless fun. That's it.

Joey: I can't believe you just said that. Jack, what happened to you? When did you turn into this jerk?

Jack: Hold on. You don't understand.

Joey: You're right. I don't understand, and that's because you never cared to explain. It's like you just couldn't wait for the moment we got to Boston so you could drop us and get new friends.

Jack: Whoa--whoa. That's not true.

Joey: No?

Jack: Look.

Joey: What?

Jack: I feel at home here. For once, I have a family that's not constantly on the brink of self-destruction. I mean, with these guys, I can finally live my life instead of constantly worrying about someone else's.

Joey: Really? Because it feels to me like you're hiding, Jack, like you're pushing us and yourself away, because maybe it's just easier to be another one of the meatheads.

Jack: Meathead?

Joey: Yeah.

Jack: You don't even know any of these people.

Joey: Well, I really don't want to run off and meet 'em all now that I know they're all wanna-be pimps.

Jack: See, now you're exaggerating, Joey. You know what? Every time something doesn't meet your standard of righteousness, you write it off like it's the worst thing on earth.

Joey: Standard of righteousness?

Jack: Yeah.

Joey: Jack, try common decency and respect.

Jack: Joey, look around. Everybody here is having a good time. Nobody's forcing anyone to be here.

Joey: That's true. No one's forcing me to be here.

[Scene: The hotel room. Jen is coming out of the Bathroom in her pajamas, and Dawson is sitting on the bed thinking.]

Jen: What are you thinking about?

Dawson: My dad. In a good way. In a really good way. In a way I haven't been able to in a long time. Standing up there in front of all those people, talking about him, it was just... it was so nice to remember him. You know, and for the first time, I was finally able to appreciate what a great father he was and how lucky I was to have known him without feeling guilty. Without feeling like I let him down. I don't wanna jinx anything, but... I daresay I'm happy.

Jen: Well, I hope so 'cause you deserve it.

Dawson: And I have you to thank in a big way.

Jen: How do you figure?

Dawson: You've somehow managed to figure out a way to be there for me. And that... uh...I'll never be able to put into words what that means to me.

Jen: Listen. I... it's the least I can do for the guy who restores my faith in the opposite sex.

Dawson: [Laughs] I do that?

Jen: Yes, you do do that.

Dawson: Wow. How do I do that?

Jen: Because...eh, um... no. When it didn't work out between us all those years ago, um... you still have managed to give me a place in your heart.

Dawson: Why didn't it work out between us?

Jen: You were in love with Joey.

Dawson: No. That's too easy. I seem to recall you having broken up with me.

Jen: Yeah, but, I-- oh, god. I quickly saw the errors of my ways and proceeded to, um... hurl myself at you in a very embarrassing fashion.

Dawson: That's right. You did. Oh, god. And I'm ashamed to admit it, but I really enjoyed that. I did. I loved it, especially you being the first girl that had torn my heart out and all.

Jen: I did?

Dawson: God, yeah. Temple of doom style. But... anyway... I think I'm fully aware of the reason it didn't work out between us.

Jen: Why?

Dawson: You were never physically attracted to me.

Jen: Is that what you think?

Dawson: Yeah. I think you thought that I was safe.

Jen: Yeah.

[She goes over and kisses him, then begins to pull back when Dawson pulls her into kiss him more intensely. They begin undressing one another to make love to one another.]

[Commercial Break]

[Scene: The hotel room. Jen and Dawson are lying in bed after just having made love to one another. Jen is looking down at Dawson as he is lying there]

Jen: Look at you smiling.

Dawson: So that's what everyone's talking about.

Jen: That's it.

Dawson: Hmm... it wasn't... what I imagined.

Jen: It's not?

Dawson: No. Everyone always told me your first time is never as good as you'd imagine it to be. That was... every bit the fantasy. Uh, you were—

Jen: Shh! We. We were.

Dawson: You're right. We. We were great.

[Scene: Inside the restaurant. Brecher is doing some paper work when Pacey walks in.]

Brecher: What's wrong, Witter? You're early.

Pacey: I need to talk to you for a sec.

Brecher: All right. What's up?

Pacey: I quit.

Brecher: This is about Karen?

Pacey: Yes, this is about Karen. So you know things have gotten a little complicated, and I'm sorry because I didn't mean for this to happen.

Brecher: Yeah, you did. There's no need to lie to me about it.

Pacey: You're saying that to me, the guy who's cheating on his wife, and you put me right in the middle of it. Do you ever stop to think about that, or did you ever stop to think about Karen?

Brecher: More than you'll ever know, kid.

Pacey: Fine. Whatever. I still quit.

Brecher: Fine. That's cool. Karen already b*at you to it.

Pacey: What?

Brecher: That's what she wanted, not me. Look, I'm sorry you got caught up in this. I should probably never have borrowed your boat. I'm sorry that your image of me has been shattered. I never said I was perfect. That's the way things are sometimes. Job's still yours if you want it.

[Scene: Joey's Dorm room. Joey walks into the room to find Jack and Audrey there talking.]

Joey: Is everything ok?

Audrey: Yes. I was just putting Jack through a pretty grueling apology here, but he passed. Come here, you! []

Jack: I'm so sorry.

Audrey: I know. I know. No hard feelings, ok? Just a lot of making up to do. And the next time you set me up, it better be with someone secure enough with girls not to resort to, like, muscle-and-fitness talk.

Joey: Really, what was that about?

Audrey: Go easy on him, bunny.

Jack: [Sighs] Ok, uh... the thing is, Joey, um... there really isn't much I can say to defend the way that I acted last night. It just... it's really hard sometimes, you know, balancing things out, meeting new friends, trying to bring them together with the--with the old. I don't know.

Joey: It probably doesn't help when the old friends are quick to judge something they... know nothing about.

Jack: Well, actually, that's what you need sometimes to keep from being such an ass.

Joey: You know, Jack, you grow up in this small town, you know, thinking you have the most open mind and you're ready for anything. And then you finally hit the big city, and, suddenly, there are still so many surprises, like, no matter how open you thought your mind was, there's still so much to learn in sometimes places you never would have even thought.

Jack: Yeah.

Joey: If a fraternity is what you need, we need to learn to accept that. I need to learn to be less extreme about it.

Jack: Come here.

[Chuckles]

[Scene: A bench outside the restaurant. Karen is sitting there when Pacey walks up and joins her.]

Pacey: Eh...so... last night, I never would have guessed that we were gonna be sitting here like this.

Karen: I'm sorry for what I said, Pacey. Last night was just as much my fault as it was yours. For what it's worth, I don't regret it, not a single second. You forced me to make a decision I should have made a long time ago.

Pacey: Then why don't you give it a chance? I mean, you don't have to leave, Karen.

Karen: No. I do. I owe myself some major regrouping, and I have you to thank for making me realize that. You called me on a lot of things that need fixing. Nobody can save you from yourself.

Pacey: I probably would have tried anyway.

Karen: I know. Stick with Brecher, Pacey. He's not such a bad guy. He's got a soft spot for ya. Besides... you're good in there.

Pacey: Thanks.

Karen: Take care, Witter.

Pacey: Yep, you, too, Torres.

[Scene: the hotel room. Dawson and Jen are packing up their bags to leave.]

Jen: Back to reality, huh?

Dawson: Hmm. I guess.

Jen: [Sighs] Dawson? I need to talk.

Dawson: Ok. So let's talk.

Jen: Ok. I just feel awkward and... there's too much at stake for me to let it slide.

Dawson: What do you mean?

Jen: I don't know. I mean, part of me wishes that last night could just be, um, a beautiful memory, and the other part knows that sex changes everything. And I just don't want to lose our friendship.

Dawson: Ok. You're not gonna lose my friendship. I promise.

Jen: Ok?

Dawson: And, yes, sex does change things. But who says it has to be for the worse?

Jen: What does that mean?

Dawson: [Sighs] I don't know. I don't know. If I told you I knew where this was leading, I'd be lying to you, 'cause I don't. All I know is... it happened last night, and it felt right. And if sex changes things, you know what? I say, bring it on. I'm ready to explore that.

Jen: Ok. I'm in. I wish we didn't have to leave here.

Dawson: So we stay.

Jen: Stay?

Dawson: Yeah. [He dumps his bag out onto the floor.] We stay. At least a couple days. After all, this is the honeymoon suite, right?

Jen: And I am your girlfriend.

[He picks her up and carries her to the bed again.]