03x21 - Show Me Love

Episode transcripts for the TV show, "Dawson's Creek". Aired: January 1998 to May 2003.*
Watch/Buy Amazon  Merchandise

Four friends in a small coastal town help each other cope with adolescence.

03x21 - Show Me Love

Post by bunniefuu »

Episode 321 - Show Me Love

[Scene: Outside by the wall that Pacey bought for Joey. Joey is there staring at the wall trying to figure out what to paint on it when Dawson comes up to talk to her.]

Joey: You know, if you came here to discuss me and Pacey, you're wasting your breath because—

Dawson: Pacey's the last person I want to talk about, Joey. Trust me. I came here to talk about us. I--I want you in my life.

Joey: And Pacey?

Dawson: That damage has been done. I came to salvage the one relationship that I need more than any other, and that's ours.

Joey: How?

Dawson: Let's rebuild. Let's... Take a walk. Let's have a picnic, watch a movie.

Joey: After everything that's happened, how could I possibly climb that ladder into your bedroom and watch a movie?

Dawson: I'm not asking you to disregard what's happened, Joey. I'm saying let's move forward from here.

Joey: You know what? All I want to do right now, Dawson, is-- is paint my wall.

Dawson: All right. Well, it's a freestanding invitation. Any time you want. You know where I live.

[Opening Credits]

[Scene: Outside the Leery Fish House. Gale is has a flag with their logo spread out over one of the tables when Mitch comes up to join her.]

Mitch: Mrs. Leery, you are looking particularly lovely this tourist season.

Gale: Is it just my imagination, or did this year go by even faster than the last?

Mitch: Each year gets exponentially shorter.

Gale: Which is why we should be making each day count, right?

Mitch: Gail, I--I can't believe—

Gale: relax. We made this arrangement with Pacey weeks ago.

Mitch: Yeah, but in light of what's happened—

Gale: it's just a boat race, one that we could very much benefit from.

Mitch: I'm not sure Dawson will see it that way.

[Dawson comes out of the restaurant]

Dawson: See what, what way? What's the flag?

Gale: A month ago, we offered to sponsor Pacey in the regatta, honey.

Dawson: Oh.

Gale: We needed publicity. He wanted a sponsor. We thought the two of you would be doing it together, but with what's happened, we don't expect you'd want to do that.

Dawson: I appreciate the concern.

Mitch: Dawson, you're more important than the restaurant. We'll pull out of the race.

Dawson: You don't have to do that. I mean... If it's important to mom and the restaurant, it's fine.

Gale: Look, honey, I'm not trying to defend Pacey here. I would just hate to see you lose your best friend.

Dawson: I'm fine. All right? I'll even take the banner to him myself.

[Scene: The docks on by True Love. Pacey and Will are on the boat working when Dawson comey up carrying the flag from the restaurant.]

Dawson: It's for you.

Pacey: Thanks. You know, I could have come up and got this from your parents.

Dawson: It's no problem.

Pacey: Look, Dawson, if you want me to drop out of this race, you're gonna have to ask me yourself.

Dawson: Do whatever you want, pace.

Pacey: I'm only doing this to help your mother.

Dawson: The way you helped Joey?

Pacey: Look, if you want to stay angry, stay angry. It really doesn't matter to me anymore. I'm just glad it's finally directed at the right person.

Dawson: Oh, save it, Pacey. You know, everyone else might buy this chivalrous self-deprecating crap. I don't.

[Scene: On the Docks. Joey and Bessie are talking behind the sign up booth, while setting it up.]

Joey: I'm not doing it.

Bessie: You have to. It's good P.R.

Joey: It's humiliating.

Bessie: If you don't cook and serve pancakes at the race registration table, how are people gonna remember it's being sponsored by the Potter B & B?

Joey: I'll tell them.

Bessie: Look, if you'd rather go home and scrub toilets or make beds or... That's the last name I expected to see on Pacey's boat. That's a good sign. Are they talking again?

Joey: Hopefully.

Bessie: And you? Did you mend any fences yet?

Joey: Well, Dawson came by the other day and wanted to know if I wanted to spend some time with him.

Bessie: To which you said?

Joey: I don't know, I just-- it doesn't feel right, you know? I mean, Dawson and I becoming friends again while he and Pacey—

Bessie: let Dawson and Pacey take care of Dawson and Pacey. They're big boys. They'll work it out. Besides, you saw the banner. Maybe they already have.

[Scene: Inside Grams Kitchen. Andie, Jack, Jen and Grams are making wreaths for the Capeside Regatta.]

Andie: Oh, isn't this thrilling? The start of a new tradition.

Grams: Fashioning the regatta winner's wreaths has always been my sole responsibility for the women's league, ever since 1953. Sharing it with you young people is very exciting.

Jack: You know, it's moments like these I'm convinced I'm straight.

Grams: Oh, come now. How often to you get a chance to create such a jubilant public display?

Andie: Oh, looks like we're not the only ones creating a public display. \

Jen: What? Oh, my god. Could this possibly be more embarrassing? How long can he last?

Andie: How long has he been doing this, anyway?

Jen: For, like, a week. He stood outside our window for over an hour yesterday.

Grams: In the rain.

Andie: Exactly what unspeakable crime is he asking forgiveness for?

Jen: I defended Henry to grams, saying that he--he wasn't a typical teenage boy with a one-track mind.

Andie: And?

Jen: Typical teenage boy, one-track mind.

Grams: I don't know what you expect. All healthy normal boys want the same thing.

Jen: Ok, what are you gettin' at?

Grams: My point is, to err is human, to forgive divine. Hasn't he paid enough penance?

[Scene: Under a Gazebo. Dawson, Jack and Andie are setting up some of the wreaths.]

Jack: Dawson, how do you remember our dad has a boat? I don't even remember our dad has a boat.

Dawson: The question is, is he using it this weekend?

Andie: Well, considering the fact that he takes it out about once or twice a year-- memorial day and labor day-- I would guess the answer is no.

Dawson: Perfect. So, you think I can borrow it?

Jack: No. No. I don't think that's a very good idea.

Dawson: Why not?

Jack: Because pieces of the last boat that you borrowed are still floating around the creek, that's why.

Dawson: Look, I really need a sailboat. Ok, I've entered the regatta.

Jack: Whoa. Isn't Pacey racing?

Dawson: Yeah.

Jack: So don't you think pistols at dawn would be a more suitable, not to mention romantic, way to settle this thing?

Andie: What's the problem with Dawson seizing the day? Ok? I mean, Pacey most certainly did.

Dawson: It's not about Pacey. It's about Joey. All right, look. I've spent the last 2 months lying on my bed, staring at empty walls. It's no wonder Joey got away from me. This is my chance to actually show her how much I care. You gotta help me.

Jack: It's not right.

Andie: No, jack, you know what? I'll tell you what's not right: Watching the person you love throw everything away so they can be with someone else, listening to them lie to your face day after day. That's not right. So if you're not going to help Dawson, I will.

Jack: All right.

[Scene: The Potter B & B sign up booth. Joey is handing out pancakes to the people there, when Dawson walks up to the booth.]

Dawson: Hey.

Joey: Hey. Would you like to sample a homemade Potter B & B hotcake?

Dawson: Yes, ma'am, I believe I would. Thank you.

Joey: Thank you, Dawson.

Dawson: You heard already.

Joey: Well, I have to admit, I mean, I had my doubts as to whether or not things would get better, but when I saw your restaurant's banner on Pacey's boat I just felt this huge sense of relief.

Dawson: That's what you're thanking me for?

Joey: Yeah.

Dawson: I thought Bessie might have told you already.

Joey: Told me what?

Dawson: I'm entering the boat race.

Joey: The sailboat race?

Dawson: Mm-hmm.

Joey: Well, who's your sponsor?

Dawson: Uh, you are.

Joey: What?

Dawson: I'm being sponsored by the Potter B & B.

Joey: Dawson, we can't afford the entry fee.

Dawson: That's been taken care off. Your sister was pretty psyched about the idea.

Joey: I'm sure she was.

Dawson: Joey, a victory-- however slim my chances might be-- would guarantee the B & B the cover of the tourist brochure. You guys would be booked the whole season.

Joey: Look, Dawson, I really don't think this is a good idea.

Dawson: It's not what you think. All right? All I want to do is help. If I needed help you'd be there for me, right?

Joey: Dawson—

Dawson: Yes, you would. So sign me up and wish me luck.

[Scene: The Potter B& B Sign-up booth a little later. Joey is still working it, when Bessie comes up to join her.]

Bessie: Ok, before you get mad at me—

Joey: you know what? You're about 300 pancakes and one sponsored sailboat too late for that, Bessie.

Bessie: He begged to enter the race on our behalf, and are we really in the position to turn down free advertising?

Joey: It's not free. Ok, Dawson may have put down the cash, but you're obligating me—

Bessie: what? To appreciate his friendship?

Joey: This isn't about friendship. Dawson wants to b*at Pacey.

Bessie: Well, if 2 boys want to compete on our behalf, I say let 'em race.

Joey: This was supposed to stop. I mean, we broke it off, and it was all just supposed to stop.

Bessie: What did you expect, jo? That you would end things with pace, and then all of a sudden, things would just go back to the way they were? It's the hardest part about being an adult, sis. Your actions have consequences, forcing life to constantly move forward. Why do you think they call it "growing up"?

Joey: Well, since you're such an expert grownup, do you have any advice?

Bessie: Accept the consequences and do something to make things better.

[Scene: Inside Andie's Bedroom. Andie is working on the computer, when there is a knock at he door.]

Andie: Come in.

Will: Uh, I hope you don't mind. Jack let me in.

Andie: No. So is Dawson still downstairs with him going over sailing for dummies?

Will: Actually, they're heading out to get some hands-on experience.

Andie: Hmm. Looks like you and Pacey will have some competition after all.

Will: Yeah, but that's not why I came here. I got some really good news. That scholarship to Rowley... It came through.

Andie: Ah! Will, that's fantastic!

Will: It's amazing, isn't it? I finally caught a break.

Andie: And now you don't have to worry about your dad anymore. I mean, that's great.

Will: Yeah, but Pacey... I'm kinda worried about him.

Andie: Yeah, well, Pacey and Joey brought this situation on themselves, all right?

Will: What, because they developed feelings for each other and had the guts to do something about it?

Andie: Is that the way you see this, will? We were all friends.

Will: They didn't set out to hurt you.

Andie: Yeah, well, once upon a time, I didn't set out to hurt Pacey, either, but he offered me no forgiveness, and our relationship came to an earth-shattering halt. Now things are never gonna be the way they were.

Will: If you can't let go of all this anger, Andie, they probably never will, and instead of you being this warm-hearted, cheerful person that I met on spring break, you'll just end up being the kind of person that-- that I feel sorry for... And I know you're better than that.

[Scene: Aboard Jack's Boat. Jack and Dawson are trying to handle the boat which is still tied to the dock, and are having a ton of problems, when Mitch comes up to them.]

Dawson: Watch out! Watch out!

Jack: Dawson! God!

Dawson: You ok? You all right?

Jack: Yeah.

Dawson: Um, all right, so that doesn't happen again, tie the--tie the rope to the thing.

Jack: What the hell's 'the thing"?

Dawson: The metal thing.

Jack: Yeah, that helps, Popeye.

Mitch: It's called the aft winch, and if you don't tighten that jib sheet and secure your tiller, it's not gonna be pretty.

Dawson: Ok, I got the tiller. You get the jib sheet, all right?

Jack: All right, all right, all right. Check. Where the hell's the jib sheet?

Mitch: You're standing on it.

Jack: Ok, you know what? Maybe I should just go back to helping grams. I might live a little longer.

Mitch: What are you doing?

Dawson: Well, trying to get out on the water before the fireworks start.

Mitch: Looks like you guys could use a little help.

Dawson: Well, dad, everyone who knows what they're doing is in the race already.

Mitch: Not everyone.

Dawson: Or they're sponsoring a boat.

Mitch: The restaurant is sponsoring Pacey. I, on the other hand, am still available.

Dawson: All right, dad. The last thing I want to do is divide the Leery household even more.

Mitch: Any worthwhile relationship has to endure some conflict, don't you think, Dawson?

Dawson: If you're saying you want to lend a hand, we would be more than happy to accept. Sure. Thank you.

[Scene: On the sidewalk by the docks. Joey rounds the corner and runs into Pacey walking her way.]

Joey: Look, Pacey, this wasn't my idea. I didn't ask him to do it, but I mean, you know Dawson. Once he gets something in his mind-- I'm sorry.

Pacey: If it wasn't your idea, why are you apologizing?

Joey: Because you're obviously upset.

Pacey: I'm upset because we haven't spoken in 2 weeks. Now when we finally do, the first words out of your mouth, as per usual, are about Dawson.

Joey: Well, this conversation is about to get harder, Pacey.

Pacey: You want me to drop out, too. Wow. Dawson Leery couldn't have scripted this one any better, could he?

Joey: What do you mean?

Pacey: Well, don't you get it? No matter what I do, he wins. If I drop out, he wins. If I stay in the race, I'm forced into direct competition with the guy, and if I actually win, I don't b*at him, I b*at you. So guess who really wins there?

Joey: Well... Maybe you could talk to him. I mean, try to work it out.

Pacey: Yeah, we tried that. He doesn't really want to talk to me right now, and when he does, it's not entirely civil.

Joey: Well, could you try again, Pacey, please?

Pacey: Yeah, if that's what you want. If that's all that you want.

Joey: That's all that I want.

Pacey: Ok. Ok. That's what I'll do.

Joey: Thank you, Pacey.

Pacey: Yeah. Hey, Potter. It was nice talkin' to you.

[Scene: Inside the Leery Fish House. The restaurant is very busy and Gale is helping people when she goes over to Jen and points out Henry outside with a sign asking her to forgive him.]

Gale: And somebody will be with you shortly to take your drink orders. Enjoy your evening. Ok, a few hours ago, Henry was cute and endearing. Now he's getting into annoying and psychotic.

Jen: Oh, my god. I'm so sorry. I didn't think he would last this long.

Gale: Honey, it's getting ridiculous. This is our busiest weekend. Not only is he distracting the customers, but he's blocking the view. Go talk to him. Throw a net over him,. I don't care. Just drag him away. Get him away from my restaurant.

[Jen goes outside and drags him away.]

[Scene: On the roof of the Leery Fish House. Jen is coming up the ladder to join Henry. There are rose petals all around.]

Jen: All right, look. I've already accepted your apology. I don't understand why you're making me come up to the roof.

Henry: I want to show you something.

Jen: Well, you promise to drop that whole sign thing, right?

Henry: I promise.

Jen: Yeah, well, I hope so, because you were rapidly approaching the point where I...

[She sees that hew has set up an elaborate picnic for them]

Jen: [Stunned] Henry. Oh, my god. You did all this?

Henry: Well, the town organized the festivities. I just did the roof part.

Jen: Why?

Henry: For you. I want you to know how sorry I really am.

Jen: I know. You just told me.

Henry: I told you. But I want to show you, too. I can do more than just talk.

Jen: I know that you can. You can listen, too, which is--which is why I got so upset.

Henry: Because I stopped hearing you.

Jen: Yeah.

Henry: I promise that will never happen again. I'm--I'm glad that we didn't rush into having sex.

Jen: Really?

Henry: Well, I'd--I'd be lying if I told you I didn't think about it pretty much every time I breathe in or out. I can't tell you that I'm gonna stop wanting you so badly, that I get a little crazy sometimes, but... I don't want to be like every other guy in your life, Jen. I want everything we do to be new, something you've never done before.

Jen: I have definitely never had a picnic on a roof before.

Henry: From now on, I'm going to do everything in my power to be the most original person in your life.

Jen: Henry parker, you already are.
[Scene: Along the Docks later that evening. Pacey is waiting when Dawson comes walking along.]

Pacey: What are you trying to prove?

Dawson: I'm just trying to help Joey. Just trying to...

Pacey: Look, man, why don't you just take a swing at me? I mean honestly, just take a poke. Get it over with. Save us both a lot of time and trouble. Wouldn't involve our friends. Or family.

Dawson: Do you think that indulging yourself in some James dean meets greased lightning fantasy, that you're actually gonna prove you're a better man than I am?

Pacey: I don't have to prove that.

Dawson: You made that clear when you moved in on Joey.

Pacey: For the very last time, Dawson, I made a mistake.

Dawson: Mm-hmm.

Pacey: I thought you of all people would understand someone falling for Joey Potter.

Dawson: Are you delusional enough to believe that you actually have something real with Joey?

Pacey: Well, if I do, it's because of her own free will.

Dawson: Do you really think a couple confused weeks means anything compared to the lifetime that we've had?

Pacey: And do you actually think that you could possibly hold on to that beautiful woman with some sort of selfish ultimatum?

Dawson: Answer my question, Pacey. Do you really think you can compete with history?

Pacey: Some history. 15 years of watching pg movies in your bedroom, followed by another year and a half pretending to be grown up, only to drop each other at the first sign of crises? That's your history? Come on, man. And you call this woman your soulmate?

Dawson: Yes, I do, and you knew that, and you went after her anyway.

Pacey: Right after you rejected her.

Dawson: Oh, so she was vulnerable. Perfect for you, right? 'Cause you're only interested in girls you can save or screw, right, pace?

[Scene: Inside Gram's Kitchen. Grams is sitting at the table when Jen enters in the early morning.]

Jen: You're up early.

Grams: I see I'm not the only one dressed in what she was wearing last night.

Jen: I know. I know. I'm sorry. I should have called, but I figured that you'd be in bed asleep.

Grams: You figured wrong. I was moments away from calling sheriff Witter.

Jen: Grams, I was fine. I was with Henry.

Grams: You spent the night with Henry?

Jen: Yeah, on the--on the roof of the restaurant. God, it was so beautiful. The boats were all lit up on the water, and the whole town was down below applauding for the fireworks, but it felt like it was for us. And he had a blanket and a picnic and-- well, not much of a picnic, actually. It was 2 lunchables, but it's the thought that counts. Grams, I'm sorry. We just lost track of time.

Grams: Is that the fashionable euphemism bandied about on MTV these days? Losing track of time?

Jen: I thought that you'd be happy. I mean, it was your advice that compelled me to move forward with Henry.

Grams: It was not my advice to sleep with the boy.

Jen: You don't know what you're talking about.

Grams: To see you slip back into your old lifestyle like you never left it... I expected more of you, Jennifer.

Jen: Well, you know what? I expected more of you, too. Believe it or not, I have changed, and it hasn't been easy. Especially considering that the one person that I count on the most can't even see it.

[Scene: Inside the Leery Fish House. Gale and Mitch are there talking as Mitch is packing a bag with different things.]

Gale: I can't believe you're helping him race.

Mitch: Well, it's a boat race, right, not Ben-Hur. Besides, one way or another, this is a fight that's gonna happen, and I, for one, am proud of Dawson for sticking up for himself.

Gale: Well, I'm not against fighting for what you want, but shouldn't we be teaching Dawson that you fight with your mind, with words?

Mitch: Well, yeah, but... Well, sometimes two people have been through so much and had so many conversations that the only way to really make it clear is action. Obviously Dawson has more guts than either one of us.

Gale: What are you talking about?

Mitch: Just what I thought might have been going on around here lately...

Gale: Between you and me.

Mitch: Ok. Well, you know, I'd stick around and talk about this some more but that doesn't really seem to be very effective, now, does it?

[Scene: The Boat Race. Everyone are in their boats getting ready to start the race. The race goes on, and Pacey is in the lead but Dawson is closing fast. We are approaching the finish when Dawson's boat is coming dangerously close to Pacey's boat.]

Man on P.A.: And they're off! And as the leaders enter the pivotal turn, it looks like true love is out front, but carpe diem, in a bold move here, they are gaining ground.

Mitch: All right, now, Dawson, when we get up here, we got to give them buoy room. All right, 2 lengths at the mark.

Pacey: What the hell are these guys doing?

Will: I don't know. I don't know.

Pacey: Hey! Hey, give us room!

Man on P.A.: True love and carpe diem are neck and neck. They're fighting for the finish here. Carpe diem is not giving any ground. In fact, carpe diem is not acknowledging true love's request for sea room at the mark. If one of these boats doesn't veer off course, in a minute, we're gonna have a major collision.

Joey: They're headed for the same spot. Are they crazy?

Pacey: Hey! We got the right of way!

Mitch: You're gonna have to back off.

Dawson: I'm not getting out of his way.

Mitch: 2 lengths—

Dawson: I'm not getting out of his way!

Jack: Give room! Come on!

Pacey: Get off our line! Move off!

Mitch: We're gonna run him into the dock!

Pacey: Dawson, come on! Give us room!

Man on P.A.: Oh, they're gonna—

Pacey: damn!

Man on P.A.: True love, with the right of way, changes course to avoid a collision. Carpe diem does cross the line first.

Dawson: We did it!

Man on P.A.: Carpe diem, they didn't back off at all. I'm sure that's a disqualification. Mischief is approaching the finish second, and unfortunately, true love, they'll finish a distant fifth.

[Scene: On the docks. Dawson comes running up to Joey who is waiting there for him, visibly upset. ]

Dawson: We won!

Joey: No, you didn't, Dawson. You lost. If you knew a little bit more about sailing, you would know that you got disqualified.

[Pacey joins them]

Pacey: For nearly k*lling me!

Dawson: I got disqualified?!

Pacey: I got more words for what you are.

Dawson: Ok, let's not forget who started this, Pacey!

Joey: Look, ok, stop! The both of you stop this. I'm not some damn trophy.

Dawson: No, jo. Let's not forget who started this, ok?

Pacey: Let's not forget who pushed me towards Joey Potter in the first place. It was you! Yes! It was you, because you couldn't be bothered—

Dawson: because I didn't want to get hurt again, Pacey! I still had feelings for her! I still loved her! I-- I still love her.

Joey: I hate this. I hate all of this. God, I hate you for kissing me and forcing me to figure out what it all means, Pacey. And I hate you, Dawson, for forcing me to make a choice between our friendship and what I might have had with him. And I hate myself. I mean, I wish we could go back to the way it was. I wish I could take it all back, but I can't. Nothing is worth going through all this. No one person is worth this-- neither one of you and especially not me.

Dawson: Are you happy now?

[Scene: By the docks. Joey and Dawson are there alone talking. ]

Dawson: I'm glad he kissed you.

Joey: Well, that makes one of us.

Dawson: I'm glad he kissed you, because it forced me to deal with the notion of losing you, Joey, and I can't. I can't lose you, not now, not ever.

Joey: Dawson, I'm no good for you. I mean, look at the way you behaved today.

Dawson: I behaved the way I did today because I was threatened.

Joey: What are you talking about?

Dawson: Honestly? I'm just trying to be the kind of guy you want.

Joey: What kind of a guy is that?

Dawson: Well, you went for a guy who b*at up a bully and bought you a wall.

Joey: That's not you. I know.

Dawson: No, it's not, Joey, but I--I-- I'm trying to show you how much I want you instead of just telling you.

Joey: You don't want me, Dawson. You said it yourself. You just don't want to lose me.

Dawson: Of course I don't want to lose you, Joey. I--I want you more than I ever have.

Joey: If you really felt that way about me, Dawson, then you would realize that the last thing I need right now is another person with romantic intentions for me.

Dawson: Ok. What do you need? Jo, what do you need? I will do anything. I'm willing to do anything.

Joey: I need a friend. Someone who will be there for me without any agenda. The person that you used to be.

Dawson: Then I'll-- I'll be there for you. Let me prove it to you. Let me show you. Joey? Jo—

[Scene: The train station. Will and Pacey are there waiting for Will's train to arrive.]

P.A. Announcer: Train 54 to Baltimore now departing on track 10.

Pacey: That's you, man.

Will: Yep.

Pacey: Well, be safe, brother.

Will: I'll do my best. So, any advice?

Pacey: Uh, yeah, you know, avoid public nudity, stay off dr*gs, try not to m*rder anybody-- the obvious stuff-- and one last thing: Don't sleep with any of your teachers. Believe me, it never works out as well as you think.

Will: Witter words of wisdom. Priceless. Here's some for you. Don't give up.

Pacey: Give up?

Will: On true love. It always wins in the end. Hey, be good, man.

[Scene: Inside Jen's Bedroom. Jen is sitting on the bed listening to her CD Walkman, when Grams enters carrying a dress.]

[Knock on door]

Jen: You might not respect me or the decisions that I've made, but the least that you can do is respect my privacy.

Grams: I--I--I just-- I just wanted to bring you this.

Jen: Why are you giving this to me?

Grams: I-I've been doing a great deal of reflection, looking through old photographs, and I came across this dress packed away in a box.

Jen: It was packed away for a reason. It's not my style.

Grams: I know. Just looking at it reminds me how much you've grown up. When you first came here to live, you were still a child.

Jen: And now?

Grams: Now you know more. You've become a beautiful, poised, confident, mature young woman who isn't afraid to risk her heart, and I think you finally believe, after all this time, that you really do deserve to be loved.

Jen: What are you saying?

Grams: I-I've seen the affection you have for Henry and the affection he has for you.

Jen: Grams—

Grams: and I'm not so old that I don't remember how truly difficult it is to wait when you've found someone who gives you the love you so much deserve—

Jen: grams—

Grams: and I know you think you know all about the birds and the bees, but what I want to talk to you about is not only the joy of sex but the responsibility of birth control.

Jen: Grams, Henry and I didn't have sex. Ok? I mean, we--we literally slept together, but, um, we didn't have sex.

Grams: Oh. Oh, you don't know how glad I am to hear you say that.

Jen: Well, now that you know what really happened... Do you still mean the stuff you just said?

Grams: Every word of it.

[Scene: Inside the Leery Fish House. Gale is in there alone lighting some candles on one of the tables when Mitch enters.]

Mitch: I thought there was a private party tonight.

Gale: There is. Ours.

Mitch: What's going on?

Gale: Well, I thought about what you said about what's been happening around here lately, and I decided that we should have dinner and figure a few things out.

Mitch: But what about business? Our customers? This is an important weekend for us.

Gale: Mm-hmm. You're more important. You always were. You always will be. Aren't you gonna say something?

Mitch: I was just trying to find the words.

[Scene: Joey's Wall. Joey is there starring at it trying to figure out what to do, when Pacey comes up and taps her on the shoulder startling her.]

Pacey: Hey.

Joey: Hey.

Pacey: You thought I was Dawson?

Joey: No, I just didn't—

Pacey: Maybe the better question would be did you want me to be Dawson? I'm sorry. I take that back.

Joey: Well, the lease is gonna be up soon.

Pacey: I'll renew it again if you want me to.

Joey: I--I don't know, Pacey. I mean, I don't want to give it up. It just that I don't really feel like I'm ready to...

Pacey: Paint?

Joey: Yeah.

Pacey: I gotta be honest with you, jo. I really thought after the way he behaved today that you'd love him less, but you don't, do you? If anything, you just love him more.

Joey: Pacey. Please don't make this harder than it is.

Pacey: Ok. Ok. I just gotta ask one more question, and then I'm gonna stop making this hard on both of us, I swear. If it weren't for Dawson, could you ever love me like that?

Joey: Like what?

Pacey: Like a soulmate.

Joey: Pacey, please don't make me do this. Don't make me choose. I really think the best thing is-- is just to take a couple steps back and...

Pacey: Yeah. Look, jo... I'll renew the lease on the wall first thing tomorrow morning.

Joey: Ok.

Pacey: And I understand. I do. I understand. There are no ultimatums here.

[Scene: The Docks by True Love. Later that evening. Pacey rips the True Love sign off of his boat and throws it into the water]

[Splash]

[A hand pulls the sign out of the water.]

Andie: [clears throat] I have something I need to tell you.

Pacey: I already know you hate me, Andie. Hey, I just don't think I could hear it tonight.

Andie: Ok, could you just stop? I need to say something. Look, I don't hate you. Ok? I mean, I've felt hurt and betrayed, and it would be really, really easy to turn all that anger into hate. I don't want to carry around that burden, ok? That's not the person that I want to be. It's not the person that I am. So I don't hate you.

Pacey: Thank you, Andie.

Andie: You know, hate's a pretty strong word, Pacey.

Pacey: So is love.

[Scene: Inside Dawson's Bedroom. Dawson is sitting in the chair alone in his room when there is a knock on the window and Joey enters carrying a tape she had rented.]

[Tap]

Joey: Does the invitation still stand?

Dawson: Yeah. Yeah, of course. E.T.? After everything that's happened, this is what you rented?

Joey: I thought it was time to see it again.

Dawson: You always said this movie was sad and depressing, remember?

Joey: I just feel like watching something tonight with an ending that I know like the back of my hand.

Dawson: You mean when E.T. Turns to Elliot and says, "I'll be right here"?

Joey: Um, right now, those are some of the most comforting words in the world.

[They sit in silence watching the film. Every so often looking at one another when the other one isn't.]