04x02 - Falling Down

Episode transcripts for the TV show, "Dawson's Creek". Aired: January 1998 to May 2003.*
Watch/Buy Amazon  Merchandise

Four friends in a small coastal town help each other cope with adolescence.

04x02 - Falling Down

Post by bunniefuu »

Episode 402 - Falling Down

n this episode: Senior year begins and Pacey finds out that he failed three of his junior year classes. Jen gets dumped by Henry and worse yet, she gets the news from Jack. Pacey panics about his future and tries to hide his failure from Joey. Joey, meanwhile, is worried about how to pay for the ivy league college she hopes to get into, and gets busy wrangling a job at the town's yacht club. Pacey's big sister Gretchen comes back to Capeside and sets Pacey straight and brightens Dawson's day as well.

Original Airdate: October 11, 2000

[Scene: Outside the school. Joey and Pacey are walking to school together hand in hand.]

Pacey: You know, they want to see me in the guidance office after school.

Joey: So?

Pacey: So, do they want to see you in the guidance office after school?

Joey: No.

Pacey: No. See, that right there is a bad sign. It means they're singling me out already.

Joey: Aw, don't worry, sweetie. They probably want to extend a hand and let you know that they're there to help you fulfill your destiny as the world's greatest gas station attendant.

Pacey: Oh, that's cute.

Joey: What, suddenly teasing's out of the question?

Pacey: Oh, no, tease away, you little hussy. But you do raise an interesting point. I think we should talk about it, now that we're back to school.

Joey: Talk about what, exactly?

Pacey: Well, uh, mutual wants and needs.

Joey: Did you actually just say that out loud?

Pacey: Like you said, we're a couple now, potter. And, as a couple, I think there's a couple things we need to discuss.

Joey: Such as?

Pacey: Kissing.

Joey: Maybe.

Pacey: Maybe?

Joey: Well, if it's of the spontaneous variety.

Pacey: Good lord, woman, you really are a fickle mistress, you know that? I mean, without kissing, what do we really have left?

Joey: Precious little. We should probably break up.

Pacey: Yeah, well, we had a good run, huh? Mm-hmm.

[She turns to him before going into their classes and plants a huge kiss on him. As the are kissing Dawson walks up from behind them to find them kissing in the doorway to his class.]

Dawson: Excuse me.

[Opening Credits]

[Scene: Sidewalk in town. Andie and Joey are walking together talking after school.]

Andie: Senior year, how cool is that? I mean, there's so much to look forward to.

Joey: Well, if I don't find a job soon, the only thing I have to look forward to is C.C.C. [Andie just looks at her]Capeside community college.

Andie: Oh. Hey, well, there's always C.Y.C.

Joey: What's that?

Andie: Capeside yacht club. My father was just telling me they're looking for a waitress.

Joey: You're high.

Andie: Ha! Joey, come on, it's the Ice House with cute rich boys and way bigger tips.

Joey: Yeah, and something tells me that the beautiful people would probably frown upon the applicant whose family name is synonymous with scandal.

Andie: So make like you're one of them.

Joey: Yeah, right.

Andie: Ok, here's what you do. If you think the interview's starting to go south, you drop a name.

Joey: Whose?

Andie: Hmm, well, I would say you could use mine, but, heh, these days McPhee is synonymous with gay, crazy, and dysfunctional. Hey, how about the Rosses? They're on the board. Charles, Kate, and son Owen. Oh, my god, he is so gorgeous, so our age, and so eligible. Oh, and so perfect for me if i actually cared about those things.

Joey: Ah, but you digress.

Andie: Ok, so, anyway, Joey, where else are you gonna make that kind of money?

Joey: Well, you know, there is always that strip club on the edge of town.

[Scene: Outside the Record Store. Dawson is walking up to it and is about to enter when Gretchen, who is reading some ads on a wall, sees him.]

Gretchen: Dawson Leery.

Dawson: Gretchen, hey, what are you doing?

Gretchen: Oh, scouting out some new digs.

Dawson: Mm-hmm.

Gretchen: Until my brother Douglas finds a suitable-- and I finger-quote "partner"-- he's best off living by his lonesome. So looks like I'm gonna be shacking up with my other equally irritating yet decidedly less a**l brother.

Dawson: That's great. Good luck with that.

[They enter the store]

Gretchen: Listen, this is, of course, none of my business, but I can't tell you how much it breaks my heart to see once inseparable best friends so estranged. If there's anything that I can do... Clearly something you'd rather not talk about. Sorry. My bad.

Dawson: Well, it's ok.

Gretchen: Oh, my god.

Dawson: What?

Gretchen: Dawson, this is the most offensive collection of music I've ever seen.

Dawson: Precisely. Which is why I'm trading them in.

Gretchen: Yeah, but, Dawson, Vanilla Ice? What were you thinking?

Dawson: I don't know. I was 10! Who has good taste in music when they're 10?

Gretchen: By the time I was 10, I could rattle off the name of every band on the sub-pop label, and I was telling anybody who would listen that a guy named Kurt Cobain was about to change the face of music as we knew it.

Dawson: And by the time I was 10, I could rattle off the name of every cinematographer Steven Spielberg ever worked with. Which somehow isn't that impressive, is it?

Gretchen: Ok, what else do we have here? Ok, the Grateful Dead. Now, why--why are you returning this?

Dawson: My parents got me that CD. I just... Wasn't a big fan.

Gretchen: Ok, ok. I can't believe I am standing in front of a teenage guy whose parents have better taste in music than he does. Shame on you, Dawson. Shame on you.

[She just puts her hands up and turns and leaves. He just watches her leave and giggles to himself.]

[Scene: Jen's Bedroom. Jen is on the laptop computer, when Jack enters her room.]

Jack: You gotta be kidding me. That's like the umpteenth time today you've checked your e-mail.

Jen: You lie.

Jack: Thank you. I don't know... Every time i went by the computer lab today, I saw the same bosomy blonde behind the same Blueberry IMac.

Jen: All right, all right. I admit it, you're right. Jack, I think it's clear that henry has forsaken me for another.

Jack: Give the poor guy some time to get acclimated.

Jen: I don't know, I mean, it's weird. It's--it's becoming a thing.

Jack: What do you mean, a thing?

Jen: A thing, an alarming trend. I mean, all summer long there were phone calls, e-mails, I.M.ing each other to the point of exhaustion, but now when I go online he's never there, and when I call he's strangely unavailable. I mean, I'm starting to feel like I did something wrong. Is it possible that I'm not a very good cybersex partner?

[Jen stands up an Jack goes over to the computer to check his mail.]

Jack: I'm sure you're a very generous and giving cyber-lover, Jen.

Computer: You've got mail!

[He looks at the message and a disturbed look crosses his face, but Jen can't see it because she is behind him on the other side of the room]

Jen: Who wrote you?

Jack: Um... No one.

[He closes the laptop.]

[Scene: The Capeside Yacht Club. Mrs. Valentine is interviewing Joey for the waitress position.]

Mrs. Valentine: Now, what exactly is an Ice House?

Joey: It's a restaurant. Um, well, it b*rned down last year.

Mrs. Valentine: Oh, how unfortunate. Sounds like a charming little joint.

Joey: Well, daddy, you know, he thought it was a good idea for me to get out there and mingle with the little people.

Mrs. Valentine: And what does daddy do, dear?

Joey: Pharmaceuticals. Daddy made his fortune in the pharmaceutical world.

Mrs. Valentine: Oh, well, then, why is it, I wonder, that I don't see the potter name on our roster?

Joey: I guess we're just not much of the joining kind.

Mrs. Valentine: Where do you summer, then?

Joey: I spent my summer sailing, actually.

Mrs. Valentine: Oh, well, that sounds lovely. I have to ask. Were you a deck hand or a stowaway?

Joey: Excuse me, but, um, before I submit to another second of your thinly veiled bitchery, do you need a waitress or not?

Mrs. Valentine: Hmm. Yes, now that I recall, that position's already been filled.

Joey: Terrific. Oh, by the way, I'll be sure to tell the Rosses that you said hello.

Mrs. Valentine: Excuse me. You know the Rosses?

Joey: Charlie, Kate, and Owen? Oh, from way back. How do you think I heard about this position? They're on the board here, aren't they?

Mrs. Valentine: Oh, Miss Potter, I think perhaps... You and I got off on the wrong foot. Please.

[Scene: School Guidance Office. Pacey walks in to see Mitch in there going through some of the files.]

Pacey: Hey there, Mitch...Mister Leery. What are you doing here?

Mitch: Just, uh, filling in until they find a new guidance counselor.

Pacey: What'd they do with the old guidance counselor?

Mitch: Right. You mean the one who referred to you fondly as, and I quote, "one of the most aggressively mediocre students ever to galumph his way through the halls at Capeside high." Poor man was heard muttering your name as he stumbled off into early retirement.

Pacey: Poor guy. So, why does this bring me here?

Mitch: Ok, so, here's the deal. They have dumped some of the special scheduling cases into my lap.

Pacey: What's so special about me? Apart from the obvious, of course.

Mitch: Well, for starters, you seem to lack a certain amount of classification at the moment. And you seem to lack a certain amount of clarity at the moment. What happened to you this summer?

Pacey: Nothing. I went sailing.

Mitch: Right. But, um, well, from the look of things, you should have been somewhere else.

Pacey: And where is that exactly?

Mitch: Right here.

Pacey: Here?

Mitch: You should have been in summer school, Pacey.

Pacey: That sounds like a terrible way to spend the summer.

Mitch: Tell me something. Before you took off, did you happen to, oh, look at your report card?

Pacey: I took off a couple of days after school let out.

Mitch: Well, you know, had you looked, you might have noticed that you flunked Science, History, and English. 3 biggies, Pacey.

Pacey: Well, that sucks.

Mitch: Look, Pacey, I don't, uh, really know how to do this, exactly. I've had the distinct pleasure of watching you grow up. You certainly are one of the most endearing pests I've ever met. But I'm not your teacher, ok? I'm not your guidance counselor. I'm just a friend. So, help me out here, ok? I mean, cut the glibness and just listen to me for a second? You're in deep trouble here.

Pacey: So what can I do about it?

Mitch: You can take these classes over.

Pacey: When?

Mitch: Every day, after school.

Pacey: Well, I was gonna get a job. I kind of need the money, you know?

Mitch: No, I don't think you're understanding me, Pacey. You're gonna have to work your ass off this year.

Pacey: And what if I can't do it?

Mitch: No, you can. You just focus.

Pacey: But what if I actually can't?

Mitch: Well, then, come this may, you're gonna watch your friends graduate without you, start their lives without you. They'll be heading off for higher education, and you'll be gearing up for another year at Capeside high. How's that sound, Pacey?

[Commercial Break]

[Scene: An old beach house. Gretchen is taking Pacey on a tour of the place.]

Gretchen: What do you think?

Pacey: I think I hate it.

Gretchen: Well, I think it's charming.

Pacey: Charming? It's like something out of better homes & crap.

Gretchen: Ok, you see crap, I see potential.

Pacey: Well, no, I see potential, too. I see the potential for rats to gnaw at our extremities while we sleep.

Gretchen: It needs but a fresh coat of paint and a woman's touch.

Pacey: Mm-hmm. And all we need to do is get the word out that the local cr*ck den has shut down.

Gretchen: Why are you being such a naysayer?

Pacey: Because it becomes me.

Gretchen: Ok, face facts, Pacey. We don't have a lot of money. So that k*ller condo that you had your eye on is pretty much out of the question. But this place, while lacking in many creature comforts, is totally within our budgetary limitations. And you know what that means?

Pacey: Well, I'm guessing it means we get to split the utilities with the cockroaches.

Gretchen: No. It means we are going to turn this place into a home, Pacey. I promise.

Pacey: Yeah, and until then, we just have to get used to brushing our teeth with brown water.

Gretchen: Ok, you seem to have a particularly nasty case of "first day at school." Does senior status not bring you any joy whatsoever?

Pacey: You know, it's funny you should mention that, 'cause it turns out, I'm not exactly a senior.

Gretchen: Oh, yeah? Then what exactly are you?

Pacey: Well, I'm screwed. I'm totally screwed.

Gretchen: Ok, elaborate.

Pacey: Well... It seems as though I managed to fail 3 classes last year. Yeah. 3. You know, so now I gotta retake those 3 classes and pass all of this year's classes if I wanna have any hope of graduating.

Gretchen: Ok. Um... Ok, so you do it. You know, y-you work really hard this year, and you do it. It's not that big of a deal. What does Joey think? You haven't told her? Why?

Pacey: Because Joey is smart, but Pacey is an idiot, and I'm trying not to make her any more aware of that fact than she already is.

Gretchen: You are not an idiot, Pacey. And something tells me that Joey's feelings for you are not contingent on your GPA. Listen, I can stand here and tell you that everything's gonna be ok, but it's gonna sound a lot better coming from her. So tell her, ok?

[Scene: Capeside Yacht Club. Joey is working very busily hoping from one table to another]

Joey: [Clatter] Excuse me.

Man: Excuse me? [She goes by one table and the man stops her.]

Joey: May I help you?

Man: That's up for debate actually.

Joey: Well, as you can see I don't really have a lot of time for verbal Ping-Pong.

Man: Half an hour ago, I dropped down on one knee and begged you for an iced tea and a club sandwich.

Joey: You're right. I am so sorry.

Man: Don't worry about it, I know how it is.

Joey: Well, I doubt that.

Man: Let me guess. The boyfriend bailed when the stick turned blue, leaving his rusted-out Camaro up on blocks on your lawn, forcing you to drop out of school and rely on your not-so-reliable alkie mom to watch the little carpet monkey while you wait tables on your high horse. None of which is my problem, hon. This is seriously going to cut into your gratuity. [Laughs] Oh, come on! Where's your sense of humor? I was kidding. Well, not kidding actually. More like, uh, conducting an experiment. My father, who is a world-class cretin, says stuff like that to the help all the time. And I always think, "what an idiot!" You know? I mean, they're just gonna go back in the kitchen and spit in his food. Or worse even.

Joey: Fancy that. Would you excuse me while I go check on your order?

Man: You would, wouldn't you?

Joey: Would what?

Man: Spit in my food.

Joey: Or worse even.

Man: [Chuckles] I knew it! You strike me as very much in touch with your dark side. Thank you for your candor.

Joey: Oh, my pleasure.

Man: First day on the job, huh?

Joey: Yes.

Man: And, uh, how much do you hate them already?

Joey: Who?

Man: The superficial snobs laying down huge sums for the privilege of frolicking in the presence of other members of their tribe. Creeps.

Joey: Wow. Cue the violins. You know, nothing tugs the heartstrings like the anguished cry of a poor little rich boy. Would you sign, please?

Man: Sure. [Signs the slip “Owen Ross”] Something wrong?

Joey: Your order will be right up.

[Scene: Dawson's Room. Dawson is sitting on his bed listening to a CD when his father comes into the room]

[Music playing]

Dawson: Hey.

Mitch: Do I detect something vaguely of my generation?

Dawson: Yeah. I've been giving that grateful dead album you and mom gave me a second chance. I don't get it. I still don't have the slightest inclination to drop acid or start using hemp products or incorporate anything remotely tie-dyed into my wardrobe.

Mitch: Well, Dawson... The Dead were a phenomenon to be experienced live. Thousands of nomadic fans, the endless jams... That's never gonna come through those headphones.

Dawson: Do you ever just get the feeling that you and mom are maybe a little cooler than I am?

Mitch: It's a burden, but we cope.

Dawson: [Chuckles] good to know.

Mitch: I saw Pacey at school today.

Dawson: Oh, yeah? Me, too.

Mitch: I had to sit down with him about his schedule this year.

Dawson: Uh-huh.

Mitch: He's in trouble, Dawson.

Dawson: And that concerns me how?

Mitch: Well, look, I know that Pacey isn't your favorite person right now, but trust me, you're not always going to feel like that.

Dawson: I don't know, dad. I can maybe see this one standing the test of time.

Mitch: Hear me out. Pacey has gotten himself in some real academic trouble. Without the support of his friends, he might not graduate high school.

Dawson: Well, what do you expect me to do about it?

Mitch: I don't know. But I've always taken pride in the fact that my son is someone his friends can turn to when they need him.

Dawson: Ok, dad, I... I realize this might seem a little hyper dramatic from the cool, calm perspective of an adult, but this is my world, ok? My life. My quote-unquote best friend pursued a relationship with a girl that I've loved in one way or another for as long as I can remember. And that hurts so much that sometimes I can't sit still. Now, I think I've done a pretty good job of trying to move forward, but that doesn't mean that Pacey gets to go on reaping the benefits of my friendship. All right? He's on his own. I can't help him.

Mitch: Well, maybe you know someone who can.

[Scene: Andie's Bedroom. Andie and Jack enter carrying some clothes. They put down the clothes and begin folding them.]

Andie: You're kidding me. He wants to break up with her?

Jack: Well, he said he wants to take a break.

Andie: After all that? After doggedly pursuing her for an entire school year, after scores of grand romantic gestures, after behavior that clearly licensed professionals would call stalking, he wants to take a break?

Jack: Yeah, well, look. He's at a new school, girls are flirting with him, and he's confused. Henry's a great guy but, you know, he's 16.

Andie: Guys are maddening creatures.

Jack: Heh! Tell me about it.

Andie: So what did you tell him?

Jack: I said I'd talk to her.

Andie: Hmm, no. Jack, I don't think that's a good idea. In fact, it borders on the terrible.

Jack: Why?

Andie: Because whatever is between Jen and Henry is firmly and clearly between Jen and Henry. And besides, if a guy was gonna break up with me--god! I would hope that he would be big enough to do it on his own instead of sending an intermediary in.

[Scene: The deck of the True Love. Joey and Pacey are sitting on the deck of the True Love, as it is in moorings, and eating a pizza.]

Joey: So glad we could make reservations. You know, personally I find the food leaves a little something to be desired, but...Gotta love the atmosphere. [Song playing on radio] So, how was your day, honey?

Pacey: Oh, it was just swell.

Joey: I think you're just a little grumpy because we're not in the middle of the Atlantic anymore.

Pacey: Hey, look, I could have this baby packed up and ready to go in about 15 minutes. You just gotta give me the word. I guarantee all this school stuff will still be here when we get back. Root beer?

Joey: No Thanks. Our summer at sea was an exceptionally lovely then, but this is now. It's our senior year. Do you have any idea what that means?

Pacey: Well, if I had a car I guess I could park it in the senior lot. That'd be pretty cool.

Joey: Read my lips, Pace. One more year. Then no more classes, no more books—

Pacey: No more Dawson's dirty looks?

Joey: Ahem. So what was that whole guidance counselor office thing about anyway?

Pacey: You know what? Can we just for tonight pretend like we're one of those couples that can consume a meal in blissfully dysfunctional silence?

Joey: Ok. [Pacey hands her some cheese] Thanks. Well, do you wanna hear about my new job?

Pacey: [Mouth full] What new job?

Joey: You're looking at Capeside yacht club's newest serving wench.

Pacey: Congratulations.

Joey: Don't sound too excited for me there, Pacey.

Pacey: Well, I didn't know you were so fixated on getting a job.

Joey: Well, yeah. I mean, you of all people should know how badly i need to make the extra money. I mean, without it, I'm doomed to roam the streets of Capeside for eternity, which is unacceptable. You know, I'm-- I'm not ending up some townie.

Pacey: [Chuckles] When did you become a snob, Ms. Potter?

Joey: What are you talking about?

Pacey: Well, what's wrong with being a townie?

Joey: Well, nothing—

Pacey: No, honestly. If someone lives in the same place their whole life, that somehow makes them a bad person?

Joey: No of course not—

Pacey: what if I was to become a townie?

Joey: You're not that kind of a person.

Pacey: Whoa! I didn't ask what type of person I was, I said, what if I became a townie? Would that somehow make me less desirable to you? [Joey Sighs] Guess that's my answer.

Joey: What's going on with you?

Pacey: Nothing.

Joey: So why are you trying to pick a fight with me all of a sudden?

Pacey: I'm not trying to pick a fight with you.

Joey: Yes, you are. I mean, something is going on with you, and you obviously don't want to talk about it, which is fine, ok? I understand that. But, I mean, please don't sit here and-- and try to pick some random fight with me just to make yourself feel better.

[Commercial Break]
[Scene: Dawson's Homeroom class. The teacher is taking attendance.]

Teacher: Wagner?

Girl: Here.

Teacher: Wilson?

Boy: Present.

Teacher: Witter? Witter?

[Dawson looks over at the empty desk near him]

Teacher: Young?

Girl: Here.

[Scene: The Capeside Yacht Club. Joey goes up to Owen who is sitting on the dock and fills his glass of iced tea.]

Joey: Can I get you anything else?

Owen: Ok, weird girl, what gives?

Joey: What do you mean?

Owen: First of all, you haven't let my iced tea get past the halfway mark all afternoon, second, you've been smiling and hovering like some kind of mental patient, and worst of all, you totally dropped that whole snappy sarcasm thing you had working for you yesterday.

Joey: I'm just trying to do my job.

Owen: Yeah, well, at least yesterday you were entertaining. Today, you're just creeping me out. Hey, sit down for a second.

Joey: Why?

Owen: I want you to see something.

Joey: What am I looking at?

Owen: Ok, what do you see? [Points at a group of people.]

Joey: A guy in a polo shirt trading stock tips with Mr. and Mrs. Dull. Normal?

Owen: Pretty boring, huh?

Joey: Sure.

Owen: What if I told you that polo shirt guy has thrice weekly motel room meetings with Mrs. Dull Normal?

Joey: Really?

Owen: Mm-hmm.

Joey: Does Mr. Dull Normal know?

Owen: Of course not. He's too busy acting out his own mid-life crisis with the poor man's Pamela Anderson over there. [Points at a rather well endowed woman]

Joey: Are those real?

Owen: Hardly. Her silicon valley is the work of that gentleman over yonder, Capeside's own Dr. Liposuction, who is a creep of the highest degree. And that one? She is the worst of them all. Once upon a time, she was married to one of the beautiful people, this, uh, New York city rainmaker who-- well, as these things tend to go-- eventually traded her in for a younger model. Divorce followed quickly thereafter, which came as a real nasty shock to the system, because the poor gal got nice and used to the money. So, she packed up the kid and got herself a job where she could be around the fortune 500 set all day long. And now she's the next best thing... Rich by association.

Joey: Wow. No wonder she's such a bitch. How do you know all this stuff?

Owen: Hang around this place long enough, you absorb a lot of useless information. It's so funny. These people... All the money in the world and not an ounce of class.

[Scene: The walkway along the shore. Jack is sitting there waiting when Jen comes up to him.]

[Crickets chirping]

Jen: What's happening, gorgeous?

Jack: Hey.

Jen: So, you rang, I ran. What's up?

Jack: I don't know. Sit and talk to me.

Jen: Here?!

Jack: Yeah, why not?

Jen: [Chuckles] It's just-- it's kinda romantic, don't you think? Jack, are you thinking about a crossover episode? Because if so, now's bad timing. I's a taken woman.

Jack: Any word from Henry?

Jen: No. No, but, you know, I was thinking about what you said the other day, and you're right. I'm just gonna give him some time, let him settle in, then we'll talk and things will be fine.

Jack: Yeah. You know, let me ask you something. W-what if, uh, what if things went the other way?

Jen: What other way?

Jack: You know, what if you guys talked and things weren't fine?

Jen: And why would that be?

Jack: Well, I'm just saying, you know, have you thought about the possibility of things not working out?

Jen: Where's this stuff coming from?

Jack: Heh! No where. Forget it. I'm sorry, forget it. Tell you what, let's get some dinner. All right? Come on.

Jen: Jack? Have you talked to henry?

Jack: Yes.

Jen: [Clears throat] All right, what the hell's going on?

Jack: Look, I'm just worried about you, Jen.

Jen: He asked you to talk to me, didn't he?

Jack: [Sputters] no, n-no, he—

Jen: Jack, is Henry breaking up with me?

Jack: I--I don't—

Jen: You know, he's lying to you, and you're lying to me.

Jack: No, Jen, come on—

Jen: Just leave me alone.

[Scene: Joey's house. Joey is inside when the doorbell rings.]

Joey: [Doorbell rings] I got it!

Dawson: Hey.

Joey: Hey.

Dawson: It's not too late, I hope.

Joey: Oh, not at all, of course not. Come on in.

Dawson: Ok. I--I wanted to return these.

Joey: [Chuckles] You're kidding me, right?

Dawson: No. No, I--I was going through my, uh, CD collection, trying to weed out some of the more embarrassing reminders of my callow youth, and I came across your counting crows collection.

Joey: Dawson, you borrowed those, like, 3 years ago.

Dawson: Yeah, I know. I apologize for my appalling lack of etiquette. Uh, um? Uh...No. I, uh... So I should go.

Dawson: Because it's none of my business.

Joey: What is it?

Dawson: Pacey.

Joey: Ok, you're gonna have to start making some sense here, Dawson.

Dawson: [Sighs] you know, just-- just talk to Pacey, ok?

Joey: About?

Dawson: About school. He's in trouble.

Joey: What are you talking about?

Dawson: Well, he didn't show up for school today. And if he's not careful, he's gonna flunk out. I can't for the life of me figure out why I should even care about this, but... I'm here, and if there's anyone who can help him out it's you, so—

Joey: Well, no offense, Dawson, but if Pacey was in such dire straits, don't you think I would know about it?

Dawson: No, I don't.

Dawson: Don't you get it, Jo? When you love someone, you want her to be proud of you, you want her to think there's nothing in the world that you're incapable of. And the thought of disappointing her is-- it's crippling. Good night.

[Scene: The Beach house Porch. Pacey is outside when Gretchen walks Joey out to join him.]

Gretchen: There he is. Try not to bruise him.

Pacey: Hey, there's my girl.

Joey: Why weren't you in school today? Why are you suddenly in danger of flunking out? Why do I have to hear about it from Dawson? Why does Dawson know more about your life right now than I do, Pacey?

Pacey: Well, because apparently Leery senior has a very big mouth. And, oh, how I bet junior loved being on the receiving end of that news.

Joey: Can we just stick to the point, please?

Pacey: No, honestly, I'm sure he loved hearing that, you know? Now he's salivating. The guy gets to swoop in on his soul mate with a big fat "I told you so."

Joey: Are you delusional? Dawson has zero to do with this, Pacey.

Pacey: Yeah, sure.

Joey: Do you have any idea how insulting it is to know that I come up last on your list of people to contact in case of an emergency?

Pacey: Jo, this is not that big a deal, you know? I'm handling it.

Joey: And how does cutting school translate into "handling it," Pacey? Why does this even surprise me?

Pacey: What exactly is that supposed to mean?

Joey: Exactly what I said. This is how you deal with everything. You run away. You take the easy way out every time.

Pacey: Well, I guess that's why I'm such a loser.

Joey: You know, you're not a loser, Pacey. I didn't spend my summer with a loser, you know, building what I thought was an incredible foundation for a relationship. I thought that we were a great team. It turns out I guess I couldn't have been more wrong.

[Commercial Break]

[Scene: The Beach House. Pacey is sleeping on the couch when Gretchen comes and wakes him up.]

Gretchen: I want you to get up, take a shower, button up your best bowling shirt, and go and apologize to that girlfriend of yours.

Pacey: Do you think maybe you could just leave me alone?

Gretchen: Pacey, this girl is a keeper, and I cannot in good conscience allow you to blow it because you're scared.

Pacey: What are you talking about? I'm not scared!

Gretchen: Like a little girl.

Pacey: Oh, what do you know?

Gretchen: And if you're not careful, you are gonna sabotage this relationship before it has a chance to become something.

Pacey: I'm gonna sabotage it, huh? Hmm. Methinks you've been watching a little too much Oprah.

Gretchen: I am serious, Pacey.

Pacey: Well, what do you expect? You know, I've had to listen in stereo all my life to my brother and my father telling me how stupid I am. How can I help not feeling like a moron sometimes?

Gretchen: You're right, they're jerks. Both of them, you know. But get over it already. I mean, dad and Doug have so many problems between them you should just throw them a huge pity party. And they're not your problem.

Pacey: Oh, please tell me, great oracle of Capeside, who is?

Gretchen: Your problem is Dawson. Don't tell me you don't hear him. You know, whispering in your ear, telling you that you're not good enough. But he's just a ghost, Pace. She picked you, and now you have to deal with it.

[Scene: The Capeside Yacht Club. Joey enters the room as Mrs. Valentine is going through some receipts]

Joey: You wanted to see me?

Mrs. Valentine: Have a seat, Ms. Potter. I was going over yesterday's receipts, and I noticed that a couple of them were signed by Owen Ross.

Joey: Right.

Mrs. Valentine: Thought you said you were a good friend of the family?

Joey: I am.

Mrs. Valentine: Well, if you're such a good friend, wouldn't you know he and his family are in Paris until after the first of the year?

Joey: But that doesn't make any sense.

Mrs. Valentine: No, it doesn't.

Joey: Mrs. Valentine, he was here. I served him. He was very rude.

Mrs. Valentine: Yeah. I'm not sure this is going to work out, Ms. Potter.

[“Owen” Enters]

Drue: Actually, mom, the Ross kid was here.

Mrs. Valentine: Drue, honey, I'm right in the middle of something here.

Drue: Gotcha, moms, but, uh, maybe you didn't hear what I said. Owen Ross... He, uh, was here. Saw him, own 2 eyes. And I saw Joey here waiting on him, and I think you might want to commend her for the way she handled him because that guy, he can be real high maintenance.

[Scene: Outside on the docks. Drue is cleaning a boat as Joey comes up to him, she is angry.]

Joey: What just happened in there?

Drue: Hey, could you watch your tone, please? I think I just saved your job.

Joey: Who the hell are you?

Drue: Drue. Drue Valentine.

Joey: Mrs. Valentine... That's your mom?

Drue: Hey, you pick up quick.

Joey: But you said all that horrible stuff about her.

Drue: Which doesn't make it any less true.

Joey: You lied to me.

Drue: Correction. I was playing with you.

Drue: It was fun. My mom told me about the new girl, the one who was a friend of the Rosses. I took one look at you and knew that you lied your way into the job. Which I totally dig about you, by the way.

Joey: [Sighs] you're a freak.

Drue: Ok, all right, so I'm not who I said I was. Big deal. I'm actually a lot more fun.

[Scene: The Dawson Pier. Jen and Dawson are on the end of it talking to each other. Dawson is trying to console Jen.]

Dawson: It's ok to be hurt, Jen.

Jen: I'm not hurt, Dawson. It's just that only real boyfriend that I ever had enlisted the help of my best friend to dump me, and... You know, I'm-- and I'm just angry.

Dawson: Take it from somebody who spent the better part of last spring angry at the world. [Sighs] It's not worth it. I mean, it might numb the pain a little bit, but it's basically just a distraction. [Exhales deeply] I don't know. Point is, if you do it right, Jen, loving someone's gonna hurt. And the sooner you let yourself feel that, the sooner you'll be able to love again.

Jen: Dawson, I really don't need one of your sappy self-help seminars right now.

Dawson: Just trying to repay a favor. Oh, what? You've been sage to my simpleton more times than I care to count.

Jen: God, why didn't just you throw me into oncoming traffic?

Dawson: You know, because you helped me through the worst of times. I've really learned a lot from you, Jen.

Jen: Really? Like how to downward spiral your way into adulthood?

Dawson: [Laughing] No! No, you didn't. You're the one who taught me that love can suck. Things change, passions fade, partners come and go. But that through it all, one thing remains sacred, and that's friendship. And it's true because... I mean... God, without you guys this summer, this would have been a huge black hole of depression for me.

Jen: Do you have to be so damned earnest? It's disgusting really. I mean, it makes me wanna drown you in the creek.

Dawson: Oh, it's part of my charm. Funny thing about friends. Sometimes they bring you the worst of news, but it's always with the best of intentions.

[As they walk off the pier, Jack comes up to join them.]

Dawson: Jack.

Dawson: Thank god. Take her off my hands for a while?

Jack: Sure.

Dawson: I'll see you around.

[He leave them alone.]

Jen: [Laughs] All right, I--I think I owe you a fairly huge apology.

Jack: Ok, that was supposed to be my line.

Jen: You're sorry, I'm sorry, somebody's always sorry. I mean, relationships are just one big sorry after another, culminating in a big final messy sorry.

Jack: Sounds like someone's drowning herself in an economy-sized vat of self-pity.

Jen: Come on, Jack. Aren't the recently dumped allowed to wallow just a bit?

Jack: I'm really sorry, Jen.

Jen: Me, too. I'm... Sorry for k*lling the messenger. I just didn't need you to be the one to give me the bad news. I needed you to be my shoulder.

Jack: Come here. Better late than never?

[Scene: The docks. Joey is sitting on a box when Pacey comes up to join her.]

Pacey: Hey, there's my girl. You're not liking me so much right now, are you?

Joey: Not so much, no.

Pacey: So, you know, I'm talking to my sister, and she says to me, "that's actually not such a bad idea to discuss your problems with your girlfriend."

Joey: Nice to know someone in the Witter family can boast a brain cell or two.

Pacey: You're not gonna make this easy on me, are you? Ok. So where do I start?

Joey: Wherever you want.

Pacey: Well, I should probably just start first by saying that you, Josephine potter, have just wrecked me. In the best possible way, you have absolutely wrecked me. Because, you see, I fell in love with you knowing that there was never any possibility of being with you, knowing full well that a sizeable chunk of your heart would... Always be wrapped up in our friend Dawson. And that much was actually ok with me, right up until the point that you chose me. [Sighs] 'cause then you just turned everything on its head. Then I got everything that I wanted, and from that day forward I've just been a wreck.

Pacey: Because... Now all I can do is just wait for the other shoe to drop. You know, just wait for you to realize what a big mistake you've made. Wait for you to realize that I'm just gonna be a big disappointment. And just wait for you to realize that-- that Dawson is the guy that you want to be with.

Joey: Pacey, what does Dawson have to do with you screwing up at school?

Pacey: Well, nothing and everything. Dawson leery would... Never have screwed up like I did, Jo. It just wouldn't have happened.

Joey: You know that. You're right. Do you know what else Dawson would never do? He would never inspire me to run away with him for the summer. It just wouldn't happen, and you know that. We had a magic summer, Pacey. I mean, we shared something that I'm gonna remember for the rest of my life. I mean, don't you see? We're creating our own history here. A history that has nothing to do with Dawson.

Pacey: That's a nice way of looking at it.

Joey: Yeah. But, you know, this is-- this is where it gets rough. What do you mean? We spent 3 months on the sea, but... We didn't even come close to weathering the storm. We ran away. We made our own reality and... It was so wonderful-- but it couldn't last forever. Nor should it. Heh. Pacey, a relationship isn't about a romantic 3-month cruise. It's gonna be the details that define us. You know, like... The moments.

Pacey: Ok. Joey...I am... Really scared. Um... I think that I screwed up and I'm gonna flunk out of high school. [Exhales deeply] so I need your help um...Really badly.

Joey: That's all you needed to say, pace.

Pacey: Heh! Oh, easy for you to say.

Joey: Oh, but, whatever it takes, we're gonna fix it. You know, I mean, everything's gonna be ok.

Pacey: How can you be sure?

Joey: I'm not going anywhere without you.

Pacey: Looking for special things inside of me inside of me inside of me inside of me Potter?

Joey: Yeah?

Pacey: How come you're so much smarter than I am?

Joey: I'm not that much smarter, pace. You just happen to be a little emotionally Ret*rded.

Pacey: Is that it?

Joey: Yeah!

Pacey: Oh, that's such a load off my mind. [Laughs] let's go make out some more.

Joey: Sounds romantic.

Pacey: Well, you're far too cynical for my romantic overtures.

Joey: Doesn't mean you don't earn points for trying.

Pacey: Oh, come on. You love me.

Joey: And you bug me.

Pacey: [Chuckles]