02x19 - Rest In Peace

Episode transcripts for the TV show, "Dawson's Creek". Aired: January 1998 to May 2003.*
Watch/Buy Amazon  Merchandise

Four friends in a small coastal town help each other cope with adolescence.

02x19 - Rest In Peace

Post by destinyros2005 »

Episode 219, "Rest in Peace"

CAST
James Van Der Beek: Dawson Leery
Kaite Holmes: Joey Potter
Joshua Jackson: Pacey Witter
Michelle Williams: Jen Lindley
Meredith Monroe: Andie McPhee
Kerr Smith: Jack McPhee

Evelyn "Grams" Ryan: Mary Beth Peil
Gareth Williams: Mike Potter
Gail Leery: Mary-Margaret Humes
Mitch Leery: John Wesely Shipp
Abby Morgan: Monica Keena

Written by Mike White
Directed by David Semel
Original Air Date: May 5, 1999

(Outside Dawson's house -- Joey and Dawson are walking back from the wedding.)

Joey: (laughing) Dawson...

(He laughs and they kiss, heading towards the ladder.)

Joey: 'K, are you sure this is a good idea?

Dawson: Jo, don't analyze this, okay?

(They kiss again.)

Joey: Right, don't analyze.

Dawson: We don't need to discuss this.

(They kiss again at the foot of the ladder, this time longer and more passionately.)

Dawson: K? Let's go upstairs.

Joey: (smiles) Okay.

(She starts climbing the ladder and Dawson stares up after her smiling. Cut to Joey climbing through his window and Dawson following, kissing and giggling the whole way, oblivious to Jen sitting on the bed. Dawson starts kissing Joey's neck and she notices her.)

Dawson: Jen?

Joey: What's wrong?

Jen: (mumbling..almost deliriously) Abby...and I were on the dock and ....and we were up there ...and we...we were drinking ...and she ...fell back and hit her head ...and she ...she drowned. (pauses) Abby's dead.

(Joey is shocked, as well as Dawson, and she goes and sits next to Jen on the bed and puts her arm around her as Jen starts crying.)

(OPENING CREDITS)

(Cut to Joey looking through an old photo album of pictures of her with her mother. She has a tear rolling down her face. Her dad walks out.)

Mr.Potter: (looking at the pictures) Seems like a lifetime ago. Your mother loved that dress. I told her to take it back, too expensive. She went out and bought two of em just like it just despite me.

(Joey cracks a small smile.)

Mr.Potter: That was your mother. Why are you looking at this?

Joey: This girl at my school d*ed on Saturday night. She drowned.

Mr.Potter: Joey, that's terrible. Were you two close?

Joey: No, not particularly. She was sort of a nightmare. But it's, uh, sort of got me thinking...remembering.

Mr.Potter: Joey, we, uh, never really talked about your mother or her death...

Joey: (obviously avoiding) Well, uh, it's getting late and I have to be getting to school so...

(She gets up and takes her cup back into the kitchen and grabs her bag. Cut to Capeside High. Jen's walking through the hallway to her locker and everybody's staring at her. Cut to a group of kids sitting in a circle around a counselor. Pacey, Andie, Jack, and Jen are included.)

Counselor: Hi, my name is Elizabeth, and I'm a grief counselor. I'm here to facilitate a discussion about Abby. I know you've all be dealt a heavy blow, but by sharing your feelings with each other, it could aid in the long, and difficult, process we call grieving.

(Pacey's biting his nails, obviously unconcerned about the whole thing as Andie stares around the room and Jack just looks bored.)

Girl: I'd like to make an announcement. The Girls' Service League is distributing yellow arm bands that we're wearing in Abby's memory. If anyone would like an arm band, please meet me in the cafeteria at lunchtime.

(Jen just laughs unbelievably at the concern. Jack scratches his nose.)

Counselor: Jennifer. I was told that you were a close friend of Abigail's. Would you like to talk about some of the feelings your experiencing?

Jen: No.

Counselor: That's perfectly okay. I understand. Andie? Did you know Abigail?

Andie: Yeah, I did.

Counselor: Can you talk about your feelings?

Andie: Well, um...I guess I'm feeling shocked. I mean she was so incredibly alive and she had such a great spirit. It's-it's really a tragedy.

(Jen is disgusted by these fake feelings of concern so she grabs her things and storms out.)

Counselor: Jennifer?

(Cut to the cafeteria. Dawson is watching the girl hand out the yellow arm bands.)

Girl: Thank you so much for honoring Abby's memory.

(Joey comes over.)

Joey: Hey.

Dawson: (smiles) Hey.

Joey: Listen, I know we have a lot to talk about concerning the other night but..

Dawson: Listen, Joey, could we just not ...go there...right now? Because I mean there's ...a lot going on and we can analyze this to death later just...

Joey: Right. (Joey kind of looks around and scoots in closer.) Dawson, the truth is, I never really liked Abby.

Dawson: Ditto.

Joey: I actually despised her.

Dawson: It's weird. I mean, Abby was weird, that she d*ed was weird, the way she d*ed was weird. I can't even imagine what the funeral's going to be like.

Joey: I'm not going.

Dawson: You're not?

Joey: The last funeral I went to was my mom's. I mean, I haven't even gone to her gravesite. I think going to Abby's funeral would just open this Pandora's Box of emotions that, frankly, I'd rather keep sealed tight.

Dawson: (tentatively) Joey...your mother d*ed three years ago. If you have these feelings you haven't dealt with, how long were you planning on waiting?

Joey: I don't know. I guess I'm just...there's a part of me that's still holding on. That little girl inside is just waiting for her return. You know, that her death was just some cosmic error and eventually, God will realize he made a terrible mistake and he'll send her back to me like he did my dad. And ...(smiles) I'll have my mom again. (looks at Dawson) I know it sounds ridiculous.

Dawson: No, no, it's-no. But, I mean, that's a child's false hope. Eventually, you're going to have to let it go.

Joey: Yeah, but I don't want to let it go. (pauses) You don't know what it's like, Dawson.

(Cut to Jen, in the bathroom, splashing water on her makeup-stained face. Andie enters.)

Andie: Um, Jen? I've been looking all over for you. You just stormed out of class. Are you okay?

Jen: If dealing with Abby's death isn't hard enough, but to watch everybody parade around like Abby was their best friend, it's sickening. Aside from me, Abby didn't have a single friend in Capeside.

Andie: That's because she was a--(stops herself)

Jen: A bitch! Come on, Andie, say it! Abby was a bitch.

Andie: Well, I wouldn't go that far...

Jen: Yeah, well, you would've three days ago, but now that she's dead you wax poetic about her great spirit. It's so insincere!

Andie: Well, I don't think it's appropriate to maline her character after she's gone!

Jen: It isn't malining if it's true! Believe me, it would have been easier for everybody if Abby had just been this wonderful person with this virtuous qualities but she wasn't! She was mean! And the least we can do is acknowledge who she really was.

(Jen exits out the bathroom, Andie follows.)

Andie: Jen, listen, I know this must be hard for you.

Jen: And I am so sick and tired of people treating me like I'm some kind of celebrity just because I happened to be at the scene of the crime. It's funny. Abby spent her entire life shattering our fragile egos and that's why people disliked her so intensely. Leave it to Abby. Even in her death she's still exposing hypocrisy.

Andie: Well, I feel bad but I always tried to reach out to her and everytime she rejected me.

Jen: She rejected you?! If you hadn't rejected her at the wedding, none of this ever would have happened!

Andie: What?

Jen: You kicked us out of the wedding, Andie. That's why we were at the docks in the first place.

Andie: (slowly) Don't say that.

Jen: I'm sorry, okay? I can't--I've got to go home.

(She leaves down the hall. Cut to Dawson coming in his front door, he spots his mom coming down the stairs.)

Dawson: Hey!

Gail: Hi honey! So...how was school?

Dawson: Weird. Everybody's playing the beautiful mourners but underneath there's this weird sense they're all munchkins finally freed from the spell of the wicked witch of the east. (Kristin's note: Wasn't it the wicked witch of the west?)

Gail: Well, honey, I know you're dealing with a lot right now, but I have some news I need to share with you.

Dawson: You sound serious.

Gail: No, no, no, it's not bad news. It's good news. Remember the piece I did on the teenage girls?

Dawson: Yeah.

Gail: Well, I won the Peil Vision Award for Excellence for News Broadcasting.

(Dawson hugs her.)

Dawson: That's incredible, Mom! Congratulations!

Gail: Oh, but that's not the news. The news is that because of the award, I've been offered a job as network correspondent. It's a lot of money, it's high profile, it's...in Philadelphia.

(Dawson's face drops.)

Dawson: Oh. Are you going to take it?

Gail: Well, professionally, it's a huge leap for me. It's what I've always worked for.

Dawson: But I don't want to move to Philadelphia...

Gail: Oh, I completely understand that. You're halfway through high school. No, I do not want to uproot you. If I took the job, I assume your father would move back in and I would come home as often as I could...

Dawson: S-So what about you and Dad? Are you guys just throwing in the towel?

Gail: Well, that's the last thing I want, but I'm hitting my head up against the wall here, honey. Your father doesn't seem to have any interest in making things work. So if I walk away from this career opportunity, and I lose this marriage, what do I have?

Dawson: You still have me.

(She smiles. Cut to Grams walking in to Jen's room where Jen's lying on her bed wrapped in a blanket.)

Grams: Jennifer, I'm worried about you.

Jen: Don't be. I'm just tired.

Grams: You know, I can't say I was particularly fond of your friend, Abby. I always had the distinct impression that she was mocking me.

(Jen smiles.)

Grams: She was, wasn't she?

Jen: Don't take it personally, Grams. Abby was mocking everyone.

Grams: But she was your friend. It's so hard to understand why God would take someone so young...with so much left to learn, so much left to live. It really tests one's faith.

Jen: Yeah, well, maybe I didn't have any faith to begin with.

Grams: Well, rest assured, God may work in mysterious ways but He has a plan.

Jen: Well, if God had a plan for Abby, she certainly wasn't following it.

Grams: God has a plan for everybody, including Abby. Including you.

Jen: Grams, I really don't want to have a religious discussion right now.

Grams: It's times like this that--

Jen: Grams, please! Okay?

Grams: Alright, but...I'm here for you. Whenever you need me.

(Cut to Pacey and Andie in a deli-like restaurant.)

Pacey: I can't believe Jen would accuse you of being responsible. She was drunk, she fell, she drowned. End of story. It was nobody's fault, least of all, yours.

Andie: Yeah, but ...I was so mean to her.

Pacey: Oh, come on, you've got to be kidding me! (to cashier) Thanks! (to Andie) Abby Morgan was one of the most hideous creatures to ever haunt the streets of Capeside and you bent over backwards to befriend her. You really shouldn't be taking this that hard, Andie.

Andie: Don't tell me how I should be feeling. If I'm upset, then I'm upset. If I feel guilty, then I feel guilty. I think those are perfectly valid feelings.

Pacey: You're right, I'm sorry. I just don't like seeing you like this, okay?

(Two women walk by their table. Once they're out of earshot...)

Andie: Oh, God, Pacey. Don't look now, but Abby's mother just walked in.

(Abby's mother turns and spots Andie and walks towards her.)

Abby's mother: Don't I know you?

Andie: Yes, Mrs. Morgan, I'm Andie McPhee. You drove me home once.

Abby's mother: Oh, that's right. You're a friend of Abby's. She talked a lot about you.

(Andie looks at Pacey, confused.)

Andie: She did? Oh, Mrs. Morgan, I am so sorry about what happened.

Abby's mother: Will you be coming to the funeral?

Andie: Oh, of course...of course I will.

Abby's mother: You know, no one's offered to give a eulogy...and I'm not really familiar with any of her other school friends, you will be saying a few words about her, won't you?

Abby's mother: Since she was so fond of you.

Andie: Sure...sure...

Abby's mother: Thank you.

(She walks away. Andie looks at Pacey, worried.)

Andie: A eulogy?

(She stressfully rests her head on her hand on the table. Cut to Pacey and Andie walking in the rain to Abby's house.)

Pacey: You don't have to deliver this eulogy. Just lay low. Pretend Abby's mother you're too upset.

Andie: No. I have to find a way to honor Abby's memory both truthfully and respectively. Her family deserves that much. I'll always remember the nice things people said at my brother's funeral.

(They reach the house, it's nice.)

Pacey: You okay?

Andie: It just occured to me that I've never even seen her house. It's so pretty.

Pacey: Yeah, I know. I was halfway expecting this gothic castle, you know? The gargoyles leering down on you from the spires...

(They enter the house. It's nice, lots of flowers.)

Pacey: Okay, this is morbid. Explain to me again what this is going to accomplish besides making you even more freaked out?

Andie: I just want to see her room...you know? Where she brushed her hair, (pauses) and planned her future.

Pacey: Why?

Andie: Look, we'll just say our condulgences and slip into her room.

(Cut to Jen drinking liquor on the docks where there's a bunch of flowers and a cross. She takes a bouquet and throws it over the side of the docks. Cut to Andie and Pacey entering Abby's room.)

Pacey: Hey, what if Abby's mother saw us come in here together? She probably thinks I'm trying to get lucky in the middle of her daughter's memorial.

Andie: Oh, this is really strange. It's almost like the room is waiting for her to come back...

Pacey: This is really creepy, Andie. Can we go now, please?

Andie: (grabs a book) Wait a minute...this is her diary. The real thoughts of any girl is all in the confines of her personal diary.

Pacey: (takes it) You know what? People's privacy deserves to be respected, even in death.

Andie: (takes it back) This isn't for my curiosity, Pacey. This is for Abby. I want to be able to give her a eulogy that does justice to her character.

(Andie's sitting on the bed. Pacey comes and sits next to her.)

Andie: (flipping through the book) Hmmm. (picks one) "Dear Diary, Another unbelievably annoying day here on Walton's Mountain. That slut Jen Lindley literally stole my new boyfriend and right out from under my nose. (looks at Pacey) She's a bleach-blonde hoes-bag." She was probably just having a bad day.

Pacey: Sure...

Andie: (flips and finds another one) Okay.."Dear Diary, My mother is driving me insane. I hate her so much I must be adopted. There's no way I could share the same genes with that dried-up old wench."

Pacey: I'm sure it's just another bad day, right?

Andie: (nods) Yeah. (finds another) Okay. "Dear Diary, That new girl Andie is such a (mad) psycho! How many ways can you tell a person you don't like them..." What?! "She just won't take a hint! God! And that boyfriend of hers is a--"

(Pacey grabs it away.)

Pacey: You know what? I don't want to know. I don't want to hear it. Out the door now. Please.

(Cut to Mitch in a classroom. Dawson walks in.)

Mitch: Dawson, hey!

Dawson: Hey.

Mitch: I was just thinking about you...

(Dawson sits down depressingly on the desk.)

Mitch: You know, when I was young my first few experiences with death were...shocking. And as I get older, it doesn't get any easier but...it does kind of make you put your life into perspective. Makes you want to grab on to the people you love and never let go.

Dawson: And on that note...um, Mom was offered a job as a network correspondent in Philadelphia.

(Mitch gets up and walks around the desk.)

Dawson: Don't you have anything to say?

Mitch: Um, I'll call her and congratulate her.

Dawson: That's it? You're going to call up, say congratulations, and just let her walk out of your life. (Dawson gets up angrily) Grab on to those you love, huh?

(He leaves the room. Cut to Jack and Joey at an empty Icehouse.)

Jack: So, uh, Joey?

Joey: Yeah?

Jack: I've tried biting my tongue, but, uh, the $64,000 question has to be asked...(speaking into the mop handle) What's up with you and Dawson?

Joey: (smiles) Nothing.

Jack: Oh, yeah, "nothing". You two shared a pretty conspicuous not-a-nothing kiss the other night. Come on...

Joey: Yeah, well, we're putting it on hold. We have enough to deal with without adding our complicated relationship to the mix so...

Jack: Alright, alright. I'll buy that...I'll buy that. So...how are you feeling otherwise?

Joey: Um...okay. I've obviously had a lot on my mind lately but...how are you feeling about this whole thing?

Jack: Alright, I know this sounds a little morbid but...I keep thinking about how Abby and I kissed at Dawson's birthday party which means I'm probably the last person she ever kissed.

Joey: At least she went out with a bang!

(Jack laughs. Joey laughs and covers her face with her hands.)

Joey: I can't believe I just said that.

Jack: I can't either.

(They're cracking up. Cut to Dawson editing his movie.)

(Onscreen)

Kim (Abby): Look, I am sorry if I threatened you and your safety net. And contrary to popular belief, I am not trying to ruin your life and I am trying so hard not to--

(There's a knock at the door, offscreen. It's Pacey.)

Dawson: Hey.

Pacey: Hey, man. Working late, huh?

Dawson: Yeah.

Pacey: Your mom told me I could find you here.

Dawson: So what's up?

Pacey: I don't know, really. Mrs. Morgan asked Andie to give a eulogy indulging Abby's virtues.

Dawson: How do you speak glowingly about a girl who rode to school on a broomstick.

Pacey: It's just so frustrating, Dawson. I've been trying so hard to set everything straight for Andie, but I've got no control over these things.

Dawson: I know what you mean. That's why I'm here.

Pacey: It must be a sort of surreal experience editing a movie in which one of your leading ladies is no longer.

(Dawson presses play.)

(onscreen)

Kim (Abby): Look, contrary to popular belief, I did not come here to ruin your life and I am trying so hard not to do that...

(Abby starts smiling, then laughing.)

Abby: I'm sorry but she has food in her teeth.

(offscreen. Pacey and Dawson laugh. Cut to Jen walking into the kitchen at her house and Grams is cooking.)

Grams: Perfect timing. Dinner's almost ready.

(Jen walks over and leans over the pan. Grams gets a whif.)

Grams: Jennifer, have you been drinking again?

Jen: Not only have I been drinking, but I am drunk out of my mind.

Grams: Jennifer, don't do this to yourself! Don't mask your grief with alcohol! I try to feel your pain, this drinking will only make things worse.

Jen: (smiling) Worse? Come on. Worse than what?

Grams: Think of the good times you shared with Abby, she'd want you to remember her that way.

Jen: Well then you obviously didn't know Abby too well! She's probably down there with (missed name), doing tequila sh**t and laughing at all of us!

Grams: You have to believe that Abby is in God's hands. He has a special place in his kingdom for the children.

Jen: Yeah? God's got a five-bedroom beach condo in Maui for dead kids?

Grams: Jennifer!

Jen: Okay, Grams, for the last time, there is no God and there is no heaven and there is no peace and there is no hope. The only truth that I know is pain. So you can just keep your Sunday School fables to yourself because they make me puke!

Grams: Does it give you so much pleasure to shock and offend me?! I am trying to be understanding but you insist on disobeying my rules and polluting my house with your disrespectful blastering.

Jen: I guess you're finally sick of me, huh? I guess your infinite patience and compassion aren't as infinte as we thought. You know, if I can't just be myself and speak my mind...maybe I should just move out!

Grams: Jennifer!
(Cut to Joey and her dad eating breakfast.)

Mr.Potter: What are you thinking about?

Joey: I've been trying to remember Mom and... I can't get a clear picture of her in my head. It was the scariest thing... I mean, it's like she's slowly fading away and ...do you know what I mean?

Mr.Potter: (nods) Joey, when I was in prison, I missed your mother. The loss combined with the guilt was almost too much for me. But...I look at you, and I know she's still here.

(Joey looks at him, questionably.)

Mr.Potter: You are so like your mother, Joey. She was tough ...and independent ...and funny. (laughs) In the same way you're funny. She was stubborn. Oh, she was stubborn. If you would tell her the skies blue, she would say it was green.

(Joey smiles.)

Mr.Potter: She's not gone. She lives on in you. And that comforts me to know end.

(Cut to Pacey and Andie walking down the beach.)

Andie: Uh, it's only a few hours til the funeral and I have no idea what I'm going to say.

Pacey: Make something up. Tell them that Abby was a wonderful person and she'll be deeply missed, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.

Andie: You want me to lie?

Pacey: Well, you could tell the truth. That she was a hideous abdomination and the world will be much better without her.

Andie: Right and watch her mother have a heart att*ck and collapse into the aisle. God, Pacey, what am I going to do?

Pacey: I'll give the speech.

Andie: You'd do that for me?

Pacey: I'd do anything to keep you from having a nervous breakdown.

Andie: I'm not about to have a nervous breakdown.

Pacey: Well, I'm about to have a nervous breakdown living vicariously through you, so...

Andie: Really? Listen, Pacey, I know what it's like to love someone who has the propensity to become mentally-unhinged and I don't want to be that person to you.

Pacey: Andie, what am I supposed to do? Sit back and watch you agonize. If you're in distress, how can I help but come to your rescue?

Andie: Well, if I'm drowning in the ocean, yes, throw me a lifeline but...don't let our roles become etched in stone. I mean, me the helpless lunatic and you, the hero on horseback. I need to take care of myself. I'm going to deliver this speech, I'll think of somethin'.

Pacey: Okay...

(He kisses her on the top of her head. Cut to Abby's funeral. Pacey and Andie are sitting in a pew.)

Pacey: Look, it's not too late to duck out of here.

Andie: No, Pacey, I'm going to do this, even if it kills me.

Pacey: Okay, well, maybe we'll just slip you in the coffin with Abby.

(Andie looks at him.)

Pacey: It was a joke! I'm kidding...

(Joey walks in and takes off her black cardigan over a black dress. She walks to the pew Dawson's sitting in.)

Dawson: Hey!

(She sits down.)

Dawson: You made it.

(She just smiles)

Joey: Just hold my hand.

(Dawson smiles. Grams walks in and takes a seat next to Jen.)

Jen: It's the (missed word) of Capeside.

Grams: Jennifer, listen, I-I lost a lot of sleep last night and I do hope that we can avoid ugly scenes like last night in the future. I wanted to let you know that I forgive you.

Jen: I'm not looking for your forgiveness, Grams. I'm looking for your understanding. And that's something that you've never been able to provide.

(The funeral begins.)

Preacher: We are here today, to remember the life of Abigail Morgan. But before we begin, I'd like to invite those of you, who'd like to share your memories with Abby, to come forward at this time.

(Dawson looks around, no one's getting up. Finally, Jen gets up. She walks up to the stand.)

Jen: My name is Jen Lindley. And I was friends with Abby, as much as anyone could be because Abby had a toxic personality, in fact it was almost bordering on radioactive. Abby could be cruel and Abby could be spiteful, and Abby could certainly be petty. She spent her days mischieviously stirring up trouble, and creating calamity, and generally, taking pleasure in other people's pain. You know, in Sunday School, they teach us that God made Man in his image. Well, if God made Abby in his own image then what does that say about God? God has always been such a mystery to me. I mean, what kind of diety creates a world that is so full of suffering and so full of pain? I tell you what, Abby taught me a lot. She taught me how to do a tequilla sh**t with one hand tied behind my back, and she taught me to live life by my own set of values, and not follow the crowd, in hopes of winning some phantom popularity contest. But most of all, what's most important, is Abby taught me the sadistic nature of our God and as much as that knowledge is disturbing, it's true. And it's real. And for a world that is so saturated with phoniness and lies, for that small amount, for that little bit of honesty, I will always be grateful to her.

(Jen walks down from the pulpit and heads back to her pew, where her Grams stands up, gives Jen a incredibly angry look and walks out of the church. Abby's mother looks back at Andie while the congregation stirs from Jen's comments. Andie stands up and walks to the pulpit.)

Andie: Um, there are people who give me comfort in my life...who when the going gets rough, which it unbearably does, I can count on them for a shoulder to cry on. And they will pick me up when I fall, and hold me in their arms while I cry and tell me that everything is going to be alright. I am so thankful for these people, they are priceless. But there's another group of people, just as important and just as priceless...they're the people who challenge me, who push me to my breaking points, and who force me to muster courage that I never thought I had. Abby Morgan was one of those people. In her own truth-telling way, she gave me strength. I'm a much stronger woman because of her. A woman who I never thought that I could be. She gave me that gift. She was one of a kind. There's no one like her and she will always hold a special place in my heart.

(Cut to everybody outside around her coffin. Cut to Andie and Pacey putting a single yellow flower on her coffin. Cut to the priest reading from the Bible. Cut to Abby's mother crying. Cut to Jen placing a yellow flower on her coffin. Cut to everybody walking away from it. Cut to Dawson and Joey walking alone through the trees at the graveyard.)

Dawson: I was editing my movie yesterday. And I just kept watching Abby's footage over and over and over and then it hit me just how fleeting life is. You know? And I don't want to die with unlived life on my face. And I don't want to go to my grave regretting what my life could have been if I'd only taken action and maybe this is the wrong time to say this to you but Joey ...I am so happy about what happened between us the other night.

(She just keeps on walking, showing no emotion.)

Dawson: Okay, I could just keep on talking until you say something but usually the more I talk the more chances I have at screwing up so--

(She turns and kisses him. She smiles.)

Joey: Of course, I'm happy. (Her expression gets somewhat sadder) Right now, I have to go someplace.

Dawson: Okay.

Joey: Do you think you could walk me there?

Dawson: (smiles) Absolutely.

Joey: Thanks...

(Cut to Andie and Pacey.)

Pacey: You know, I have to admit. You have had me worried these last few days, McPhee. But, as usual, you managed to pull it off with flying colors.

Andie: I think I needed this whole experience, Pacey. It just, it brought me closer to Tim.

(Andie sees Jen sitting alone over by the coffin.)

Andie: Uh, I'm going to go talk to her.

(Cut to Jen and Andie walks up.)

Jen: Andie, I can not apoligize enough. Abby's death wasn't your fault. It was mine.

Jen: I invited her out. I got her drunk. I could have saved her.

Andie: No, Jen, you did everything you could. The water was rough, the current was too strong.

Jen: I saw her in the water and...she was so scared...

Andie: Jen...don't think about that, okay?

Jen: Because I'm weak, and I couldn't accept the blame, I had to deflect it onto everybody else. Onto Capeside. Onto you. Onto my Grams. And that speech! That f-(almost says it but doesn't and pauses) speech. What was I thinking, huh?

Andie: Well, I'm a people pleaser. And sometimes in order to succeed in that, you have to be phony. Abby was the exact opposite. She put her truth above everything. And that's what you did. It was a memorial for Abby and you were just being truthful to her spirit.

Jen: Sometimes I don't think it's appropriate to speak your truth, it's better just to shut up.

Andie: Oh, God, Jen. Abby kept a diary. It was pretty nasty. And if her mom finds it, she's going to be devastated.

(Cut to Dawson and Joey walking past some more trees. Dawson hangs back and Joey slowly approaches a spot. Joey starts crying. It's her mother's grave ["Lillian Josephine Potter"]. Joey sets the flowers down and runs her finger along the etching of the gravestone. Dawson walks up slowly to her.)

Joey: I just, um, hope wherever she is, she's happy.

Dawson: She's happy. She's looking down on you, and she's very happy.

(Joey lays her head on Dawson's shoulder. Cut to Jen walking up the stairs to her porch where there's a bunch of suitcases, packed, and her Grams is putting more things in them.)

Jen: Grams?

Grams: How could you, Jennifer!

Jen: You packed--up all my stuff.

Grams: I went to that funeral today to try and give you some support, to rectify some of the damage in our fragile relationship. Only to find you heartlessly thumbing your nose at me, in a house of God no less.

Jen: Grams, that speech wasn't for you, it was for Abby. And I regret it, I do. And I know that it was wrong and I know that I offended your beliefs--

Grams: This is not about my beliefs! Or free speech or any other philosophical nonsense, this is about the truth. And the truth is you deliberately tried to wound me in that chapel and take out all your pain and rage at the world on me.

Jen: Grams, Grams, wait!

Grams: You want understanding? How about a little understanding in return? How about a little compassion for me? Not just about my beliefs, but for me? Your grandmother, who loves you, who would do anything for you, who would die for you!

Jen: Wait, Grams! Grandma! Wait a minute!

Grams: You should be living with someone else. Someone who you respect, and clearly, I am not that person. All that time you spend rebelling against me is getting you nowhere. So even though it pains me more than you will ever know, Jennifer. I want you to move out. Find somewhere else to live!

(Grams shuts the door on Jen and leans against it, crying. Cut to Jen outside crying. Cut to Andie opening the door to the Morgan's)

Andie: Mrs. Morgan? Hello? Hello?

(She goes up the stairs. Cut to Andie going into Abby's room. She opens a dresser drawer and pulls out the notebook and when Andie looks in the mirror. She sees Abby standing behind her in the closet wearing a white outfit. Andie spins around revealing nothing there. Andie closes her eyes, breathing heavy and opens them again. Cut to ending credits.)