01x11 - Pretty Woman

Episode transcripts for the TV show, "Dawson's Creek". Aired: January 1998 to May 2003.*
Watch/Buy Amazon  Merchandise

Four friends in a small coastal town help each other cope with adolescence.

01x11 - Pretty Woman

Post by destinyros2005 »

EPISODE 111
"PRETTY WOMAN"

Cast
Dawson: James Van Der Beek
Joey: Kaite Holmes
Pacey: Joshua Jackson
Jen: Michelle Williams
Gail: Mary-Margaret Humes

Original Air Date: May 12, 1998

(Dawson's room. Dawson and Joey are watching TV.)

Joey: Ew, what are you watching?

Dawson: A special on insect sexual behavior. A visual aide for my biology term paper.

(Dawson turns back to the TV.)

Dawson: Well how does she know who she's attracted to? They all look the same.

Joey: Dawson, they're unlike people.

Dawson: You mean people don't find mates by instincts?

Joey: Meaning, that the people go by whatever supermodel the media decides to be this week's perfect specimen.

Dawson: Hmmm I beg to differ. I don't need Entertainment Tonight to tell me Drew Barrymore is hot.

Joey: 20th century men are conditioned to worship women who are nutritionally deprived heroin addicts. In the Renaissance they liked women who were husky, and in some cultures they like women with bones in their noses and plates in their mouths. It's just the way it goes Dawson.

Dawson: You're reaching. You know maybe there is some truth in what you're saying but you can't tell me that pure animal instinct doesn't have something to do with what kind of guy you're attracted to. Right?

Joey: I haven't the slightest idea Dawson.

(The SS Icehouse.)

Pacey: So your mom's judging for the Windjammer Days?

Dawson: Yeah, they're going to let me cover it for the station.

Jen: Well so what are these Windjammer Days?

Dawson: It's this yearly event the yacht club holds. A little pageant. They're trying to reel in the last remaining choices the town should style for the season.

Joey: It's a blue-blooded tradition that celebrates the grand achievment of being born rich. A culmination of which is an assinine formal dinner held at the yacht club where some young vile who's daddy owns the bank is crowned Miss Windjammer. It's the most archaic display of ageism, racism, and sexism known to man.

Pacey: Do they have a swimsuit competition?

Dawson: I don't think so.

Pacey: You know maybe I could be one of those guys who warms up the girls before they go on stage.

Joey: It's not a p*rn Pacey.

Jen: You know my mother use to enter me in these disgusting Little Miss pageants before I was old enough to protest.

Dawson: Oh let me guess you twirled a baton.

Jen: Meaning?

Dawson: Nothing. You should enter.

Jen: (sarcastically) Yeah

Dawson: No, I mean seriously. I mean, you're beautiful, nobody can dispute that. I can totally picture you strolling past the judges flashing that million dollar smile of yours.

(Joey walks off, a little upset.)

Jen: Well, I'm afraid my baton-twirling days are over.

Dawson: Well first prize is $5,000 and a trip to New York.

Jen: Why don't you enter Dawson? I'm sure you have some inspiring ideas on how to achieve world peace.

Dawson: World peace is easy. It's the tap dance and pumps I have trouble with.

Jen: It's a skill.

(Jen leaves.)

Pacey: Back-handed insults disguised as complements. It's kind of a novel approach to winning back a woman's affections.

Dawson: Well, I figured I'd give it a sh*t I've tried everything else.

Pacey: Why don't you just get over it, man? She has.

Dawson: Well, I think I have gotten over it I just, I don't know, winning her back has dissolved into some sort of bizarre hobby.

(Jen approaches Joey.)

Jen: Slow, huh?

Joey: As tourists go, so do the tips.

Jen: That bad?

Joey: Let me put it this way. Higher education for me will be no farther away than Capeside Community Vocational Institute.

Jen: You're smart you can get a scholarship.

Joey: Yeah but I can't bank on a full one.

Jen: Look Joey. Now that the proverbial wedge, recently referred to as Dawson Leery, is no longer between us, we could actually be friends. I know, I know, it's a bizarre concept, but we may find we have something more in common than just the boy next door.

(Joey rolls her eyes and gives her a look.)

Jen: Okay. Or not.

(Jen begins to walk away and Joey thinks for a second.)

Joey: We don't have to like wash each other's hair or do each other's nails do we?

(Jen smiles.)

(Cut to Capeside High.)

Dawson: Pacey!

Pacey: I can't find my pen.

Dawson: You okay?

Pacey: Yeah I just spent the entire morning with my dad telling me what a scholastically inept, atheletically challenged, underachieving loser I am. I'm fine!

Dawson: He said that?

Pacey: Yeah, first he starts in on the failing biology thing and then he goes straight into the skipping school to do Providence thing.

Dawson: What about the stealing his car thing?

Pacey: I prefer to call it borrowing. It's not like I k*lled anybody. Alright? And if I have to hear the words, "Why can't you be more like your brother Doug" one more time, my head is going to explode.

Dawson: Well you're more than welcome to crash at my house for a few days.

Pacey: Thanks but I was thinking of something a little more permanent.

Dawson: Pacey forget about it your father is never going to let you move out of his house.

Pacey: Actually he told me as soon as I want to become an emancipated minor to just show him where to sign. Check this out. Personal ads, $250
a month.

Dawson: That's Mill Street. Capeside's only official tenement.

Pacey: Well it beats the Whitter family house horrors, doesn't it?

Dawson: How are you going to pay for this roach-infested bachelor party?

Pacey: Well that's the problem isn't it? With my video store wage I can't even afford a two-man tent. You don't need an assistant for that beauty pageant thing, do you?

Dawson: I'm not even getting paid. The only person making any money off this is Little Miss Windjammer herself.

Pacey: Maybe I'll just toss my tiara into the rink. You know a $5,000
dollar reward....that would get me into one of those executive bachelor pads downtown.

Dawson: Yeah, well, I'm afraid you're God given ability to relieve yourself standing up is going to keep you out of this one.

Pacey: Once again, sexual discrimination rears it's ugly head. But wouldn't that just piss my dad off.

(Cut to the cafeteria.)

Jen: You know Joey, you're one of the prettiest girls in the school. I don't get it, how come everytime I give you a complement you look at me like I'm trying to hit on you?

Joey: I don't know. I guess it just sorta makes me feel a little uncomfortable, that's all.

Jen: Why?

Joey: I know I'm not pretty. Stop it.

Jen: You know it's funny Joey but when I was dating Dawson I was petrified that anyday he'd take the blinders off and realize how gorgeous you are.

Joey: Yeah right. When guys look at you they think, "Wow. What a babe."
When they look at me they think, "Hmm, gee she's really tall."

Jen: You know I think you should enter the Miss Winjammer pageant.

Joey: What dr*gs are you on?

Jen: No, c'mon I'm serious. Listen I'll coach you. You could easily take that evening gown competition, and scholastic and academic part, that would be a slam dunk for you Joey.

Joey: Let's not go overboard on this let's-be-friends-female-bonding thing, okay Jen?

Jen: Joey, c'mon you might actually find that we have fun together.

Joey: I wouldn't degrade myself.

Jen: One night of your life, $5,000 Joey. I'd say that's a pretty respectable college nestegg don't you think?

(Cut to the yacht club.)

Jen: C'mon Miss America.

Joey: Why do I feel like I'm about to send the Woman's Movement back
20 years?

Jen: Well, if I were you I'd start filling out those Ivy League applications, the competition does not look like much.

(Cut to Miss Windjammer signups.)

Pacey: This is unconstitutional.

Lady: I assure you Mr. Whitter, there is nothing in the constitution that says that you have the right to enter this pageant.

Pacey: Yeah and there's nothing in your rulebook that says I can't! Huh? Take a look.

Lady: This is the MISS Windjammer contest.

Dawson: Jen! Joey! Wait up. So what are you two doing here?

Jen: Are you kidding me? Pacey is going to enter the Miss Windjammer pageant?

Dawson: Why not? Last year Ashley Elliot successfully sued to join the boy's football team. I think it's one of the more intrepid things that Pacey has ever done. He pulled the gender gap wide open.

Jen: Well, I guess we all know what's in it for you. Dan Rather.

Dawson: Tell me about it. All I normally get is a little mention on the
11 o' clock news. Now I actually have a sh*t at a feature story. So I see you decided to enter after all.

Jen: No, no I'm, I'm just here to coach.

Dawson: Who are you coaching?

Jen: (signals to Joey) Look, uh, I'll see you guys later. Okay? I'm going to go watch Pacey make an ass out of himself.

Dawson: Very funny. Is this some kind of exposé for the paper? Get out! Joey Potter entering a beauty pageant? This is classic.

Joey: Oh, I see. You think I'm such a barking car chaser that a D student with a Julius Caesar haircut has a better sh*t than me? Thanks a lot.

Dawson: Joey, no. I know how you feel about these things. This is so not you. Why didn't you tell me?

Joey: Because I knew you'd make me feel like an even bigger idiot than I already am. And believe me Dawson nobody's laughing harder at this than I am. But unfortuneatly the opportunity to win $5,000 no matter how slim or humiliating or ludicrous my chances are, you know money has to take precedence over everything. And winning my college education does.

Dawson: Joey, I didn't know you were serious about this. I mean, you kind of caught me by surprise.

Joey: You know I'm glad you find my pathetic life so amusing Dawson.

Dawson: Joey, c'mon you're my best friend I'd never laugh at you.

Joey: You just did Dawson.

(Cut to yacht club.)

Pacey: Well if it isn't Hannah Von Winning of the Barl Harbor Von Winnings.

Hannah: Pacey Whitter. Let me guess. You're here washing dishes for the remedial work study program for Capeside's underpriveledged youth.

Pacey: Oh that's so compassionate of you Hannah. So how's the Swiss boarding school?

Hannah: It's in Connecticut you moron. Wait, you're the guy entering this contest? Figures. Class clown of Capeside High. You know I never figured you as a pre-opt transexual but now that I think about it evening gown, high heels.

Pacey: I assure you that my sexuality is intact, okay? I'm not the one taking group showers at an all girls school. But given the opportunity...

Lady: Welcome ladies!

Pacey: (raises his hand) Uh.

Lady: And gentlemen. I'd like to welcome you all to the orientation for the 35th annual Miss Windjammer pageant. The rules for the pageant are listed clearly in your handbook which will be completely revised next year. The Miss Winjammer pageant also...

Hannah: So Pacey...what are you going to do for the talent competition? Recite the alphabet? Jack a car?

Pacey: You know ladies, I say we vote Hannah Miss Congeniality, what do you say?

Hannah: You are such a bafoon.

(Cut to Joey's house. Jen is coaching her walk straight while Joey struggles with a book on her head.)

Jen: Joey walking in heels is probably the hardest part. Don't worry you're doing great.

(The book falls off. Joey sits down in frustration.)

Joey: Why are you doing this?

Jen: Well, poise and grace is really important to the judges and considering your height

Joey: No, I mean...what's in it for you? I mean, the fact that I've been a first class bitch to you since the day you got here is pretty much public knowledge.

Jen: In New York I didn't exactly hang out with a lot of other girls. Okay? I mean I've never even had close girlfriends. And as far as I can tell, neither have you. I don't know, don't you ever feel like you're missing out on something.

Joey: Well, why don't you just go hang out with the Capeside peps club. I mean, associating with me won't exactly send your popularity points soaring up the social Richter scale.

Jen: The same reason you don't, alright? They're a bunch of mentally arrested airheads. You know your perception of me is almost as misguided as your perception of yourself. Well, we're going to have to work on your self-esteem issue but first, back to the basics, come on.

(The Leery's house. Mitch and Dawson are in the living room getting a taste of Pacey's portion of the talent competition.)

Pacey: (singing) Start spreading the news da da da dum da da da da dum, I'm leaving today, I want to be a part of--

Mitch: Uh Pacey can you um do you do anything else?

Dawson: We can work on the talent problem later. But what are we going to do about the evening wear?

Pacey: Well, actually. I could get my hands on this tasty little red polyester number that my sister wore as a bridesmaid.

Dawson: Pacey if you want to win this thing you've got to take it seriously. If you win, the press is going to be all over this thing, CNN. I mean, this could be international news.

Mitch: I mean by breaking this experiment you become a political activist. Challenging social stereotypes.

Pacey: I kind of just want to make some extra cash.

(Cut to Jen's house. Jen and Joey are looking out the window at Dawson's house.)

Joey: So...what's going on with you two?

Jen: Me and Dawson? We're...we're just figuring things out. You know I mean it was a little rough for awhile but we've got time. It's not like he's going anywhere. So...so what about you and Dawson?

Joey: What about us?

Jen: Well, you know, I was just wondering, I mean now that he's available and everything.

Joey: Dawson will always see me as the gawky little girl down the creek with band-aids on her knees and the one braid falling out. I don't know maybe that's how it's meant to be.

Jen: I don't know what to say. Plenty of fish in the sea, right?

Joey: Yeah.

(Cut back to the Leery's living room.)

Dawson: Have you talked to Joey lately?

Pacey: No, not since our night of naked face suckin'. I'm kidding. Why?

Dawson: She's acting cool but she's been avoiding me.

Pacey: And?

Dawson: And I don't know what to do. I miss her when she's not around.

Pacey: Oh at last the moment of truth. Well thank God maybe we can all go home now.

Dawson: Pacey I know you're obsessed about with this little theory of yours, but the truth is I've never though of Joey in a romantic context. I've always thought of her as like a sister. I just don't think I could ever get past that. If Joey and I got together it would be, a little incestuos.

Pacey: So what you're saying is you don't want her but you don't want anybody else to have her either?

(Dawson is interviewing contestants of the pageant.

Dawson: Tell us something about yourself.

Girl #1: I'd like to study early education. Or help the children with special needs. That means when they're crippled or Ret*rded or something. Or maybe I'll become an actress or a model because a lot of people keep telling me I'm pretty enough.

Dawson: Okaaay.

Girl #1: After completing that year..(fade off)

(Joey and Jen see Dawson doing the interviews.)

Joey: Wait a minute. Dawson's doing the interview?

Jen: Don't worry. It's just a pre-interview, okay? They're having everybody put on tape for the judges to see. Don't worry! The real stuff is live on stage in the pageant.

(Cut back to Dawson.)

Dawson: Please tell us your name and something about yourself.

Roberta: I'm Roberta Crump. I'm a senior at Capeside...um...

(Pacey is practicing his magic, his next idea for the talent competition.)

Pacey: Hey...you wanna see the great Pacey-dini pull a rabbit out of this hat?

Hannah: Oh a magic act. How appropriately juvenile of you.

Pacey: You know all this sexual tension really can not be good for your complexion. What do you say you and I go backstage and do a little something about it...

Hannah: Please, I just ate.

(Cut back to Dawson.)

Roberta: ...I've recently been accepted into the Julliard School of Music. But I'll be delaying my entrance for a year until I've completed a full year at the peace corps.

(Cut back to Pacey.)

Pacey: But you already had your chance didn't you?

Hannah: Yeah I already turned you down once in 5th grade.

Pacey: Actually you stood me up.

Hannah: Whatever. Pacey let me ask you something. Do you really think in a million years you could ever win this thing? I mean, what is the point?

Pacey: Well, maybe I don't have a chance at winning, but if I could take just one vote away from you and make you know what it feels like to be a loser, then this is all worth while.

(Cut back to Dawson. Joey is his next interview.)

Dawson: If you could commit one act without consequence what would it be?

Joey: I'd rob a bank so I wouldn't have to be here.

Dawson: Be serious. Let's just get through this, okay?

Joey: Alright.

Dawson: Um, what kind of example would you like to set for your children?

Joey: I guess I want them to treat others the way they want to be treated. It sounds pretty simple, but it pretty much applies to everything.

Dawson: Who's your inspiration, role model, or mentor in life?

Joey: I guess I don't really have one. I've always had to depend on myself.

Dawson: Where do you see yourself in 5 years?

Joey: I don't know. In some romantic adventure or, on a dig in Tunisia, or a safari in Africa, I don't know. A research boat on it's way to Antarctica.

Dawson: When you talked about getting out of Capeside I thought you meant like Boston University. I mean, the polar ice cap is pretty far away.

Joey: Well that's the point.

Dawson: Yeah but there must be things that you'll miss. I mean, family, friends...

Joey: Of course. But life goes on Dawson. Things change.

Dawson: They don't have to.

Joey: Yes they do. Everything changes eventually. That's just the way life is and you have no control over it. Like suddenly people who you think are always going to be there, they disappear. You know? People die and they move away and they grow up. Everything changes eventually Dawson.

(Cut to the pageant.)

Mistress of Ceremonies: Excuse me ladies and gentlemen. Could you please take your seats? Welcome to the Miss WindJammer beauty pageant.

(Cut to the dressing room.)

Joey: I look like a dweeb.

Jen: No you don't.

Joey: Everyone's going to laugh at me.

Jen: Oh I forgot. I want you to put this Vaseline on your teeth. Okay?

Joey: Why?

Jen: Just trust me, alright? It keeps your lips from sticking to your teeth when you smile.

Joey: Wait a second. I have to smile? You never said anything about smiling.

(Dawson enters Pacey's dressing room - a closet.)

Pacey: If you even make one joke about coming out of the closet I swear I...

Dawson: I can't man. Too obvious. Let me get that.

Pacey: Tell me the truth Dawson. Do you think I'm a complete fool for doing this?

Dawson: When did you start considering yourself a public opinion? Pacey, I think you've got testicles of steel for doing this.

Pacey: Really?

Dawson: Yeah, here. (throws him a jar of Vaseline) My mom said to put that on your teeth.

Pacey: Why?

Dawson: I have absolutely no idea.

(Cut to onstage.)

MC: And so now ladies and gentlemen here are the contestants in their evening wear. (Some girls walk out in their evening wear.) Thank you, Miss Johnson. And now Miss Josephine Potter.

(Joey walks out. Dawson looks at her, amazed at what he sees.)

(Cut to backstage.)

Pacey: Could it be Cinderella's fairy godmother did her job a little too well?

(Cut to onstage.)

MC: Thank you Miss Potter.

(Cut to backstage.)

Pacey: It looks like Prince Charming's found the owner of that glass slipper.

Jen: If you have a point I wish you'd get to it.

Pacey: C'mon Jen. I mean it's pretty obvious your missing the undivided attention of our friend Dawson. Maybe feeling a little dumper's remorse?

Jen: You're way off, alright?

Pacey: Tell me is it the possibility of losing him to someone else that suddenly makes him seem so attractive?

Jen: You really think that I am that shallow, huh?

Pacey: No. I think you're that human.

(Cut to onstage.)

MC: And now Mr. Pacey Whitter.

(Cut to backstage.)

Pacey: That's me! (He walks out, spins around and takes a bow.

(Pacey is waiting for his interview behind some girls. His turn comes up.)

Pacey: I just like to tell my peers that you don't have to be the handsomest guy, you don't have to be the most intelligent guy. You don't even have to be the biggest football stud to be a damn fine Miss WindJammer.

(The audience laughs.)

(Pacey's interview.)

Pacey: I would tell the world's leaders that a society that chooses w*r and death over the preservation of life can not possibly succeed or thrive. And I guess if that didn't work I'd just tell them I had dirty photos of them, yeah?

(The audience laughs again.)

(Cut to the judge's table.)

Pacey: So, how am I doing Mrs. Leery?

Gail: Pacey! I gotta tell you. You are funny. You're charming. The audience loves you.

Pacey: Seriously?

Gail: You may not have a snowball's chance in hell of winning but you're definitely keeping me from falling asleep.

Pacey: I'm not even in the running?

Gail: Pacey you know these people would rather see this club go down in flames before they would actually crown a male Miss Windjammer.

Pacey: Yeah but for me to be written off is just completely unfair.

Gail: Honey, fair and beauty pageants aren't exactly synonmous.

(Cut to backstage.)

Jen: Just think in approximately 2 minutes and 35 seconds this will all be over.

Joey: Yeah but I've never had to sing in front of people before. What if I suck?

Jen: (gently pushing her) And don't forget to smile!

*Onstage*

MC: Singing "On My Own" from Les Miserables, Miss Josephine Potter.

(Cut to onstage.)

Dawson: You did an incredible job on Joey. God, it's amazing.

Jen: I think we're finally broke into the ranks of being friends. But I miss our friendship, too Dawson.

Dawson: Me too.

Jen: And..and not just our friendship but I guess what I'm trying to say is...

Joey: (singing) On my own, pretending he's beside me
All alone, I walk with him til morning.
Without him, I feel his arms around me.
And when I lose my way, I close my eyes, and he has found me.
In the rain,The pavement shines like silver.
All the lights, are misty in the river
In the darkness the trees are full of starlight,
And all I see is him and me forever and forever.
And I know, it's only in my mind,
That I'm talking to myself, And not to him.
And although,I know that he is blind, still I say, there's a way for us.
I love him, but when the night is over.
He's gone, the river's just a river.
Without him, the world around me changes, the trees are bare and everywhere the streets are full of strangers.
I love him, But everyday I'm learning
All my life, I've only been pretending
Without me, his world will go unturning
The world is full of happiness that I have never known.
I love him,I love him,I love him but only on my own.

(Applause from the audience)

MC: Thank you. That was Josephine Potter ladies and gentlemen.

(Cut to backstage. Dawsons goes to get Pacey.)

Dawson: Alright Pacey hurry up you're on.

Pacey: Damn it.

Dawson: Relax. You're doing great.

Pacey: I need to know something Dawson. When I asked you if doing this thing was stupid and you made me believe that it had a point...did you ever actually believe that I had a chance at winning this thing?

Dawson: C'mon Pacey.

Pacey: That's what I thought. Just another thing for the kids to laugh about Monday morning at school. And who am I to disappoint, right?

Dawson: Wait, you're not going to do something stupid, are you?

Pacey: Those people suck! How can I possibly leave here without letting them know that little known fact? I mean, I'm going down I've got nothing to lose.

Dawson: Wait a minute, Pacey!

Pacey: Excuse me Dawson. I gotta show to do.

(Cut to onstage.)

MC: Pacey Whitter has changed his program. Instead of a magical act he will perform a dramatic interpretation.

Pacey: (in a bad rendition of an Irish accent) Well, I'm not William Wallace. But I am Pacey Whitter.

Dawson: (from offstage) Pacey Whitter's seven feet tall.

Pacey: So they say. So they say. And they say that this Pacey Whitter is a dangerous man who slaughters Capeside residents by the dozen with his bare hands. And if he were here he would destroy those who would judge him with sparks from his eyes and wits from his ass.

(Audience laughs.)

Pacey: (he goes on) Well I am Pacey Whitter. But who of you are in the position to judge me? Is it you, sir? And what sorts of human beings tolerate being judged? Well judgement stops today. And that which condones me, seems to own me. And I am willing to betray the trappings of my disfunctional life for one chance, just one chance, to stand in front of my fellow countrymen and tell them that you may take my life, but you will never take my freedom!!! Thank you and goodnight.

(Cut to backstage. Joey passes by a room and overhears some girls talking.)

Hannah: She won't win but if she does it's because she's a total charity case.

Girl: What do you mean?

Hannah: Oh my god, check it out. She lives in a trailer with her sister who just had an illegitimate baby with her black boyfriend.

(Joey is obviously hurt and turns to leave. Dawson sees this.)

Joey: Dawson, don't try to get me to go back out there. God, I mean, setting myself up like this I am such an idiot.

Dawson: Joey listen to me. Look, you were phenomenal out there. Don't let these inbred idiots get you down. If you leave now you're never going to forgive yourself.

Joey: Look, I don't belong here Dawson. I mean look at me. I mean, how could I have stooped this low for money? I might as well have just sold myself on a street corner.

Dawson: Joey do you realize you could win this thing? Why do you think they're slamming you? They're terrified of you. They know that you can b*at them.

Joey: I don't want their money Dawson. I don't want anything from these people. It makes me - -

Dawson: I don't think its about the money anymore. Joey I know we're not speaking right now, okay? But if we were, I would tell my best friend, who was always afraid to get up in front of class for show-and-tell, how incredibly proud I am of her. How I think she has got more guts and talent and strength of character than all the Hannah Von Winning's in the world put together.

(Cut to Joey onstage.)

MC: For your final question, Miss Potter, please tell us what words of advice you would bestow upon today's youth.

Joey: I'd like to tell today's youth that no matter where life takes you, big cities, small towns, you'll inevitably come across small minds. (She glances over the side at the stage where Hannah is watching her.) People who think that they're better than you are. People who think that material things, or being pretty or popular automatically makes you a worth while human being. I'd like to tell today's youth that none of these things matter unless you have strength of character, integrity, sense of pride, and if you're lucky enough to have any one of these things....don't ever sell them. Don't ever sell out. So when you meet a person for the first time, please don't judge them by their station of life, because, who knows, that person just might end up being your best friend. Thank you.

(Applause.)

(The winners are being annonunced.)

MC: And now the exciting moment we've all been waiting for. Our second runner up and two tickets to the Realto for any Tuesday or Thursday matinee is Miss Hannah Von Winning.

(There is applause as Hannah unahppily accepts her award.)

MC: Congratulations. Our first runner up and winner of a free day of beauty at Betty's Hair Barn is Miss Josephine Potter.

(Applause again. Dawson , Jen, and Pacey are happey for her.)

MC: Congratulations. And the winner of this year's Miss WindJammer is... Miss Roberta Kropp!

(More applause.)

(As the girls walk offstage, Dawson goes up to her. She flashes her prize and then leaves. Later Gail and Dason are outside walking and see Joey.)

Gail: Joey, honey, you were truly spectacular tonight. You know I voted for you. You should be very proud.

Joey: I am.

Gail: You kids need a ride home?

Dawson: No, we'll walk.

Gail: Okay, goodnight.

Dawson: Goodnight, Mom.

Gail: Goodnight, honey.

Dawson: This is the first time in my life that I've been completely speechless.

(Joey smiles.)

Dawson: What's happening Joey?

Joey: I don't know.

(Jen walks up un time to see Dawson take Joey's hand and they sit on a bench.)

Dawson: I looked at you tonight, and I...and I...it was like you came completely out of your shell. There was like this total new found confidence that just seemed to burst from you. And I know what it must have taken for you to get up and do that tonight. God, look at you.

(Joey laughs nervously.)

Dawson: (cont.) It's like you transformed into this beautiful goddess.

Joey: Dawson...

Dawson: God, I mean, I'm sitting here with my best friend in the world, and my palms are sweating. I've known you forever, but I feel like I'm seeing you for the first time tonight. Joey? What's wrong?

(Joey smiles, but suddenly stops.)

Joey: I don't know, Dawson. There's something that's just not right about this.

Dawson: Joey I thought this was what you wanted. I mean...

Joey: Well, I was wrong. I mean, dressing up, playing the princess. You and I both know this isn't me.

Dawson: Of course it is.

Joey: I thought this was what I wanted. You to see me as beautiful. For you to look at me the way that you look at Jen. But the truth is, I don't want that at all Dawson. I want you to look at me and see the person you've always known and realize that what we have is so much more incredible than some passing physical attraction because you know what Dawson? This is just lipstick. *wipes it off* And this is just hair spray. *takes her hair down* Tomorrow I'm going to wake up, and I'm going to be Joey. Just Joey. The too-tall girl from the wrong side of the creek.

Dawson: Joey this is all new. We should talk about it. No matter what happens. We can't go back to the way things were.

Joey: Dawson, you've had a lifetime to process your feelings for me. And I can't spend the rest of my life hoping that you might throw a general glance in my direction between all the t*rture-teen romances when every Jen Lindley rolls around.

Dawson: Joey don't walk away from this.

Joey: I have to Dawson.

(Joey leaves Dawson, looking confused.)

(Pacey walks up to Hannah.)

Pacey: How's it going?

Hannah: Time to gloat?

Pacey: No. I've had more experience at being a loser and thought that you might want some pointers seeing that this is your first time.

Hannah: First time? My brother Matt is on the national tennis team, Caroline's a pediatrician, and Jennifer's a foreign correspondent on CNN, and me, I can't even win a stupid small-town beauty pageant.

Pacey: It's not like you need the money. Me, on the other hand, I'm stuck living at home, probably for the rest of my life with a bunch of people who think I'm a blight on mankind.

Hannah: Well aren't we a couple of black sheep? By the way that was a really ballsy thing you did in there tonight.

Pacey: Thank you. Oh what I wouldn't do to go away for school and be somebody else for awhile.

Hannah: I've had a total of 23 days at home this year. My last school break, I came home to an empty house. It seems my spring break created a scheduling conflict in my parent's social calendar.

Pacey: You're kidding.

Hannah: Roger will probably spend more time in that place than I will.

Pacey: Who's Roger?

Hannah: The dog.

Pacey: Alright.

(Cut to Dawson's house. Dawson is sitting at the front steps thinking to himself.)

Dawson: Hi.

Jen: So, how'd your day go as a newsman?

Dawson: Turns out, it's going to be a blip in the 11 o'clock news.

Jen: Wow. This may seem like its kind of coming out of the blue but, um, the truth is I haven't thought about much else since Dawson. Look, I know that we didn't really give our relationship a chance, well um, I didn't give it much of a chance. And you're right I didn't really give you a good reason for the break-up and truth is, I don't even know. Is it too late to ask for another chance?

Dawson: You're kidding.

Jen: I couldn't be more serious.

Dawson: God, Jen.

Jen: Uh I guess I got the answer.

Dawson: It's just that, you know, now's really not the best time. I don't know, I kind of, there's something I need to figure out first.

Jen: Okay, well, you know where I am.

Dawson: How could I forget.

Jen: Goodnight Dawson.

Dawson: Goodnight Jen.

(Cut to Joey's bedroom. She is listening to "On My Own." She pulls her hair up and smiles. Cut to Dawson's room. He is smiling too...)