11x01 - The Woman Who Fell to Earth

Episode transcripts for the 2005 TV show "Doctor Who". (Ninth to Twelfth Doctor)*

Moderator: Kitty Midnight

Time and Space traveling adventures of a Gallifreyan Time Lord only known as "the Doctor" and his companions.

Watch/Buy Amazon  Merchandise  Collectibles

Classic Who   Specials  

11x01 - The Woman Who Fell to Earth

Post by bunniefuu »

INT. COMPUTER SCREEN

RYAN speaks while the screen is still black.

RYAN: So today . . . I wanna talk about the greatest woman I ever met.

We are watching a YouTube video of RYAN. He speaks slowly and softly.

RYAN: Smart, funny, caring, special. Proper special. Er . . . (Sighs.) where do I start? (Laughs gently.) Okay, er . . . .

A long pause as he shakes his head slightly, considering what to say.

RYAN: I've mentioned this on here before . . . I'm pretty much not an idiot, I'm actually a capable guy, considering. But I'm 19, and ‘cause of the thing I told you before . . . I can't yet ride a bike.

He laughs ruefully with a shake of his head.

EXT. HILLTOP, DAY

RYAN’s head is hung. GRACE comes up behind him and takes his shoulders as he lifts his head.

GRACE: Who says you can't?

RYAN: Me, Nan. We keep trying this.

GRACE: And we'll go on trying. Til it's done.

She pats his shoulder and he sighs.

GRACE: Now, (Points.) keep your eye on Granddad.

GRAHAM raises a double thumbs up.

RYAN: You mean Graham?

GRACE slaps RYAN’s head gently.

GRACE: Keep your eye on Graham then. Three . . . two . . .

RYAN places his foot on the pedal.

GRACE: one . . .

RYAN grips the handlebars.

GRACE: go!

She helps stabilize him as he gets started.

GRACE: Go on!

She smiles proudly as he goes on without her.

GRAHAM: Go on, Ryan! (Claps twice.) You're doing it, mate!

RYAN rides down the path, but begins to swerve and falls hard on the ground with a groan, then sighs. GRAHAM and GRACE run toward him as he pushes himself up, grunting.

GRACE: Nearly.

RYAN pulls his bike upright and waves his hand angrily.

RYAN: No, not nearly. I'm sick of coming up here, I'm sick of falling.

He picks up the bike and walks away.

RYAN: And I'm sick of this stupid bike.

GRACE: Ryan Sinclair, don't you dare!

RYAN grunts as he tosses the bike off the rocky cliffside. Patches of houses among the trees can be seen far below in the distance. The bike crashes into the brush and continues crashing as it falls down the cliff. RYAN reaches out in futility, immediately regretting his action. GRACE sighs in disappointment.

EXT. CLIFFSIDE, DAY

RYAN, GRAHAM, and GRACE sit together on rocks at the edge of the cliff.

GRAHAM: Mate, you rode it for a second.

RYAN: Can you stop calling me "mate"?

GRACE gives him a tap on the back.

RYAN: Anyway, a second's not enough.

GRACE: You'll do it if you keep on trying.

RYAN: I just want to make you proud.

GRACE lays her hand on his shoulder.

GRACE: You make me proud every day.

GRAHAM: Anyway you're on your own, getting that bike, ‘cause our train leaves in twenty minutes. (Points.) Come on, love.

GRACE and GRAHAM get up.

EXT. HILLSIDE, DAY

As the sun sets, RYAN wanders down the hillside, searching for his bike.

EXT. WOODS, EVENING

RYAN jumps down a small incline and slips a little on the layer of leaves covering the ground. He sighs in frustration as he walks. Rocks and boulders litter the ground, covered in moss and ferns. The huge fallen tree is covered in moss as well and even the upright trees are shrouded with ivy and vines. RYAN sighs again and mutters under his breath, trying to figure where his bike must have come to rest. He points upward and sees it entwined in the branches of a tree. He sighs and looks away in frustration.

A deep boom seems to rumble in the distance, then a streak of light zaps past him and a golden diamond pattern appears behind him in the air. It sizzles electrically as he slowly turns to face it. He slowly approaches. Suddenly smaller diamonds appear inside it, one after the other, each smaller than the last and at a slightly different angle until the last one is a square. RYAN steps back. As he slowly approaches again, a large dot appears in the center. As he lifts his hand toward it, the image shivers and its buzzing intensifies. As soon as he touches the dot in the center, the whole thing compresses into a small point of light and streaks away as fast as it came. RYAN watches it go. He looks around the forest, confused, then turns back to his bike.

A warp and crackle sound causes RYAN to turn back to the same spot, only to shield his face from a bright flash. He slowly lowers his arms to watch a large pod slowly come into existence, shifting and warping colors like a hologram with a bad connection. The light fades and RYAN stares in confusion at a pod shaped like a large flower bud, wide at the base and sloping to a tall point. Its base is bright blue and turns a dull reddish purple at the top, its surface covered in small craters like a meteorite. Some subtle shifting lights from inside the pod suggest life. Steam from the pod’s appearance drifts away into the forest. RYAN slowly approaches, breathing heavily, and reaches down to touch it. He drapes his hand over its bumpy surface until it glows blue under his hand and he pulls it back with a shout. He backs away, pulls his phone out of his pocket, and holds it to his ear while he examines his hand.

RYAN: Hi . . . er . . . police . . . maybe.

EXT. RESIDENTIAL STREET, DAY

A policewoman, YASMIN, walks toward two women arguing.

SONIA: She smashed it with a hammer.

JANEY: ‘Cause you keyed me nearside door!

SONIA: Because you parked in my spot!

YASMIN walks between them without giving them any notice and looks at the smashed windshield, the hammer still embedded.

JANEY: It's not your spot, there are no spots.

YASMIN spins to face them, exasperated.

YASMIN: Ladies! Please!

They both look at her.

YASMIN: Thank you. Can I suggest a simple solution? You pay for her cracked window, you pay for her scratched door and we all agree that parking around here is a nightmare. But that grown-ups really shouldn't need to call the police to sort it out for them.

SONIE and JANEY look at each other, ready to calm down, but still irked.

YASMIN: Now . . . if we're all agreed on that, there's no need for me to take any further police action we can all get on with our lives. What d’you reckon?

INT. YASMIN’S CAR, intercut with POLICE STATION, DAY

YASMIN is sitting in her car talking to her superior over the radio.

YASMIN: I'm just saying I am capable of more than parking disputes.

RAMESH: And I keep telling you, don't run before you can walk.
You're probationer, Yaz. Learn the basics.

RAMESH is sitting at his desk with monitors to the side and a half-eaten sandwich in his hand.

YASMIN: I wanna do more. Look. Can you not get them to give me something that will test me? Something a bit different.

RAMESH leans forward over his desk.

RAMESH: There is something that just came in . . . if you want different. (Smiles.)

EXT. WOODS, EVENING

RYAN and YASMIN are staring at the pod.

YASMIN: And you say you just found it here?

RYAN: (frustrated) No. I said it appeared. Out of nowhere.

YASMIN: Right.

YASMIN walks toward it and RYAN follows her.

RYAN: I swear, this isn't a prank. I came down here to get my bike.

YASMIN: And where's your bike?

RYAN: (Points.) In that tree.

YASMIN: Name, sir?

RYAN raises his arms and drops them in frustration. YASMIN turns to face him, serious.)

RYAN: (Sighs.) Ryan Sinclair.

She looks up at him surprised.

YASMIN: Wait . . . Redlands Primary?

RYAN: Yeah! (Smiles.)

YASMIN: Yasmin Khan.

RYAN’s brows raise in surprise. He gestures toward her.

RYAN: Oh, my god! Yaz!

YASMIN: (Laughs.) Uh-huh.

RYAN: Wow!

YASMIN: I know!

RYAN: Look at you. You're a fed?

Her smile fades.

YASMIN: Yeah. We don't call it that.

RYAN: Oh.

YASMIN: I'm still training. Second year of probation. What about you, what are you up to?

RYAN: (Shrugs.) Warehouse worker.

YASMIN: Oh, right. Like it?

RYAN: Hate it. It's cash while I study for my NVQ. I'm trying to be a mechanic.

YASMIN: That's good.

She walks around the pod and RYAN follows.

YASMIN: You have to take this away, though. Seriously. It's going to be dark in a minute. You can't dump this here.

RYAN: I didn't! I can't even lift it!

YASMIN: Oh, come on, Ryan! It's me.

RYAN: Touch it.

YASMIN: What?

RYAN just raises his hand toward it. YASMIN slowly reaches out. As soon as her palm touches it, it glows with a crackle and a buzz and she pulls her hand back, inhaling sharply. She looks at her hand.

RYAN: See? It's freezing.

YASMIN stares at her hand, then looks at the pod, confusion becoming fear, then looks at RYAN, realizing he was telling the truth.

INT. TRAIN CAR, NIGHT

GRACE is hanging onto GRAHAM’s arm while they sit on the train.

WOMAN ON SPEAKER: The next station is Grindleford.

GRAHAM: Do you ever think he's going to call me granddad?

GRACE: Give him time.

GRAHAM: Three years we've been married.

GRACE: And you've never been happier.

She kisses his cheek.

WOMAN ON SPEAKER: Grindleford is the next station stop.

Another passenger, KARL, wearing earbuds, looks over at them.

GRACE: (Winks.) Can't keep his hands off me, love.

GRAHAM: Behave yourself.

GRACE: (whispers) Never.

She makes a kissing sound at him, then chuckles. GRAHAM smiles, but looks away so she can’t see it.

INT. TRAIN CABIN, NIGHT

The engineer watches a strange bolt of blue lightning from the clouds, which ends in a circular crackle of blue electricity in the distance. It rapidly comes closer, barely giving her enough time to scream and pull the brake as it smashes through the window, showering her with tiny shards of glass.

INT. TRAIN CAR, NIGHT

The train screeches and the passengers jerk forward. GRAHAM flies out of his seat and runs his head into the chair in front of him across the aisle. He falls back, stunned, while GRACE breathes heavily. The train slows down and the lights go out. GRAHAM rubs the back of his neck as he starts to recover.

GRAHAM: You all right, love?

GRACE: I think so.

GRAHAM: Yeah.

GRACE looks down the aisle toward the cabin.

GRACE: What just happened?

She starts to get up.

GRAHAM: (quickly) Where are you going?

GRACE: Just having a look.

She walks down the aisle and GRAHAM and KARL look at each other. GRACE breathes heavily as she walks in the eerie silence, the moon shining a cold, dim light through the windows.

11. FIELD OUTSIDE TRAIN

Tall grass rustles as some passengers investigate with flashlights. (Yes, I’m American. If I try to write British it’ll probably end up being awkward.) They call to each other in low tones. The rails spark occasionally. GRACE sticks her head out a window.

GRACE: What are you doing? Don't go on the track, it could be live!

MAN: Get off of there!

Voices shout, too distant to make out. The outside doors suddenly lock on their own. GRACE reaches out the window to shake the handle.

GRACE: Graham, the door's just locked!

GRAHAM and KARL cautiously approach.

GRACE: We're shut in. I can't get them open!

She shakes it harder.

INT. TRAIN CAR, NIGHT

GRAHAM and KARL rush to join her.

GRACE: Something's wrong.

A low, buzzing, grinding noise comes through the dark doorway at the end of the aisle. KARL slowly approaches. GRAHAM and GRACE follow him.

KARL: I think something's coming down the train.

Something sparks and then flashes, lighting up the car for a second, causing KARL and GRAHAM to flinch back. They stare for a moment before GRAHAM pulls KARL back.

GRAHAM: Right, get away from the door! Grace, get to the back of the carriage! Get to the back!

GRACE and GRAHAM, pulling KARL, rush back down the aisle. KARL closes the door behind them. GRAHAM tries the door to the outside again while GRACE lifts her phone to her ear.

EXT. WOODS, NIGHT

YASMIN has a flashlight on the pod and RYAN’s phone rings.

RYAN: Wait one sec.

He lifts the phone to his ear.

RYAN: Hiya, Nan.

GRACE: Ryan, love! Our train stopped between Hathersage and Grindleford, and something really weird’s going on-

Her voice distorts before it cuts out. The phone beeps and buzzes. YASMIN sees RYAN’s blank face.

YASMIN: Everything all right?

RYAN looks at her and can only say one word.

RYAN: Nan!

EXT. ROAD, NIGHT

The siren wails as YASMIN’s police car rushes down the road.

INT. TRAIN CAR, NIGHT

GRACE slowly approaches the black doorway, overcome with curiosity.

GRAHAM: Grace, get back.

She doesn’t stop. Electricity flashes again, lighting up the car. Suddenly there is an expl*si*n, but it doesn’t reach GRACE. She continues to advance slowly. Noises like something moving through the debris or pieces still falling apart from the expl*si*n come through the doorway along with the zapping noise growing louder. GRACE finally decides to back away, crunching glass with each step. Small flashes light up a mass of black tendrils in the doorway, its tentacles crawling out across the walls.

GRAHAM: What is it?

GRACE: I've no idea.

The mass forms a ball, spinning gently, as it floats down the aisle, tendrils waving and small streaks of lightning zapping whatever is nearby. The group cringe at the flashes and back toward the door, mumbling and whimpering in fear. GRAHAM tries the door again and hits it in vain. As the mass continues to approach, an unfamiliar female voice cries out. With a crash and a flash of electricity, someone falls straight through the roof of the train car, between the trapped group and the mass of wires. The three frightened passengers slowly look up. A woman with jaw-length blonde hair and a charred and frayed gentleman’s suit much too large for her stands with a gasp, unaffected by the fall due to the invulnerability granted by the process of regeneration. Broken cables in the ceiling zapping yellow and the electrical mass zapping blue flash together to create a bright white light behind her. She looks at the three frightened and confused faces huddled together.

DOCTOR: What?

GRACE just points. The DOCTOR spins around, her hair swinging. She stumbles against a seat as she stares in surprise at the floating jumble of wires. She grabs a broken cable from the ceiling and jams it into the mass of wires. The thing falls to the ground, lifeless. The DOCTOR spins to face the others, panting.

DOCTOR: Should buy us a few seconds.

She looks up at the hole in the ceiling.

DOCTOR: Oh, yeah. Long story. Tell you later. Doors?

GRACE: Locked shut.

DOCTOR: We'll see about that.

She quickly reaches into her suit coat. She slowly lifts her head, horrified.

DOCTOR: No sonic.

She rapidly feels the rest of her pockets.

DOCTOR: Empty pockets. (Growls.) I hate empty pockets!

The mass slowly reforms and floats into the air.

GRAHAM: It's coming back!

The DOCTOR spins around as it resumes zapping. She approaches it, completely lacking in fear.

DOCTOR: What are you?

It zaps brightly and the Doctor backs away.

DOCTOR: Whoa! Okay. Don't like questions. More the private type. I get that.

The thing moves toward the DOCTOR. She ducks as it floats over her. It corners KARL, who cringes, whimpering.

KARL: Get it away from me!

The DOCTOR speaks slowly as she slowly approaches.

DOCTOR: All of you . . . stay very . . . still.

KARL: (high-pitched) It's going to k*ll us!

DOCTOR: It could have done that already.

KARL squeezes his eyes shut, breathing hard. Suddenly RYAN calls out.

RYAN: Nan!

GRACE: Ryan, stay away!

RYAN and YASMIN have appeared at the opposite end of the train car.

YASMIN: Oh, my god.

The DOCTOR shouts as the mass sh**t a bolt of electricity at her neck. Everyone else in the car gets the same treatment, then the DOCTOR watches as the thing flies straight up through the ceiling, high into the sky, then angles off. She faces GRACE, GRAHAM, and KARL.

DOCTOR: You three, relax, but stay put. (Points.) I'll check the rest of the train.

She walks past RYAN and YASMIN, glass crunching under her shoes.

DOCTOR: Fat lot of use you two were.

YASMIN: (indignant) Hey!

She follows the DOCTOR into the next car.

YASMIN: Hold on there please, madam, I need you to do as I say.

The DOCTOR stops and faces her, confused.

YASMIN: This could be a potential crime scene, madam.

DOCTOR: Why are you calling me "madam"?

YASMIN pauses, confused.

YASMIN: Because you're a woman.

The DOCTOR’s face lights up, shocked but delighted.

DOCTOR: Am I?

Her shocked smile turns to concern.

DOCTOR: Does it suit me?

YASMIN: (baffled) What?

DOCTOR: (Looks away.) Oh, yeah! I remember. (Faces YASMIN.) Sorry. Half an hour ago I was a white-haired Scotsman.

Without pausing for a reaction, she turns and continues down the train.

DOCTOR: When's the next train due?

RYAN and YASMIN follow her, each with a flashlight.

RYAN: This is the last one back.

DOCTOR: But the doors are locked, how did you both get in?

YASMIN: Driver's window was smashed in.

DOCTOR: What's your name?

YASMIN: PC Khan, Hallamshire Police.

DOCTOR: Name, not title.

YASMIN: Yasmin Khan. Yaz to my friends. Can I have your name, please?

DOCTOR: When I can remember it.

YASMIN: You don't know your own name?

The DOCTOR raises her hands and drops them in frustration.

DOCTOR: Of course I know it. I just can't remember it. It's right there on the tip of my . . . .

She stops and touches her tongue. She turns to face them, still touching her tongue.

DOCTOR: Whathat?

RYAN: Tongue?

DOCTOR: (Points at him.) Tongue! Smart boy. Biology. What did she call you? Ryan?

RYAN: Yeah, Ryan Sinclair.

DOCTOR: Good name. Are you a doctor, Ryan?

RYAN: No.

DOCTOR: Shame. I'm looking for a doctor.

She turns and keeps walking. YASMIN and RYAN follow after a pause.

INT. TRAIN CABIN, NIGHT

The DOCTOR finds a panel and flips switches as she speaks.

DOCTOR: Power. Lights. Doors.

YASMIN shines her flashlight on the dead engineer, slumped over the controls.

DOCTOR: Poor woman.

RYAN: That thing must have k*lled her as it came through.

DOCTOR: Why's that? It didn't k*ll anyone else. Looks more like she d*ed of shock when it smashed through the window.

YASMIN: Either way, a woman has d*ed here.

DOCTOR: But no more creatures. And no other passengers left on board. Let's get back to the others.

The DOCTOR pushes past RYAN and YASMIN out of the cabin.

INT. TRAIN CAR, NIGHT

RYAN and YASMIN follow her back down the train.

YASMIN: Wait! Can you stop, please? This could be a major incident.

YASMIN begins to lose her cool, fed up with the DOCTOR.

YASMIN: I'm the one in charge here!

The DOCTOR finally turns to face her.

DOCTOR: What are you going to do?

YASMIN: Call in to my station.

DOCTOR: What are you going to tell them?

YASMIN: The facts.

DOCTOR: Which are?

YASMIN: The train was att*cked.

DOCTOR: By what?

YASMIN: I need to take a look at CCTV footage.

DOCTOR: And why do you need to check CCTV when we all saw it with our own eyes?

RYAN: Was it an alien? Because it looked like an alien to me.

YASMIN: (Sighs.) Come on.

DOCTOR: What, you think he's wrong?

YASMIN: No. I don't know, but-

DOCTOR: But you're worried about how you will explain all this to a superior officer who won't believe you.

YASMIN: I can't not report it!

DOCTOR:You could hold off until we get the answers to the bigger questions.

YASMIN finally accepts the DOCTOR’s authority.

YASMIN: Which are?

The DOCTOR slips happily back into the role of being in charge.

DOCTOR: What was it? Why is it here? Where's it going next? And most importantly, how do we stop it? ‘Cause whatever it is, I don't think it's done. Come on, Ryan. Come on, Yaz. (Steps in to touch YASMIN’s arms.) I'm calling you Yaz because we're friends now.

She bites her lip, holding back a smile, and walks briskly down the aisle. YASMIN follows after a momentary hesitation.

INT. TRAIN CAR, NIGHT

YASMIN is interviewing KARL and writing his responses on her notepad.

KARL: It's um . . . Karl Wright. Er . . . middle name's Brian. Fifty-two, Northover Street.

The DOCTOR approaches and YASMIN pulls her notepad against her chest to let the DOCTOR squeeze through. She approaches RYAN, GRAHAM, and GRACE.

YASMIN: Telephone number?

DOCTOR: Right, then, troops. No, not troops. Team.

RYAN and GRACE look at each other.

DOCTOR: g*ng. Fam?

GRAHAM gives her a look, confused.

DOCTOR: I'm distracting myself.

GRACE: You came crashing through that roof.

DOCTOR: I was thrown out of my TARDIS.

She looks up to the sky, raising her hands in horror.

DOCTOR: Oh! I've lost my TARDIS.

She looks lost and frightened without her constant companion.

DOCTOR: It was exploding and then it dematerialised.

She takes a breath to calm herself.

DOCTOR: Don't panic. Not the end of the world. Well, it could be the end of the world, but one thing at a time.

GRAHAM: Are we supposed to understand anything you're saying?

RYAN: She thinks that thing is an alien.

GRACE: Don't be daft.

RYAN shrugs.

GRAHAM: There's no such thing as aliens.

The DOCTOR looks at him. He looks directly at her as he speaks.

GRAHAM: Anyway, even if there was, they ain't gonna be on a train in Sheffield.

She steps toward him, once again completely lacking in understanding of the human mind.

DOCTOR: Why not? I'm an alien and I'm here.

GRAHAM just stares at her, unable to respond. He turns to leave.

GRAHAM: Grace, we're going.

GRACE stops him.

GRACE: No, we're not! She just saved our lives!

DOCTOR: Don't be scared. All of this is new to you and new can be scary. Now, we all want answers. Stick with me, you might get some.

KARL approaches from behind and the DOCTOR turns to him as he speaks.

KARL: Actually, erm, I don't want answers. I just want to get to work and forget all about this. If that's all right with everyone.

He looks confused.

KARL: Even if it isn't.

He looks at the DOCTOR, still confused but completely sincere.

KARL: Thank you.

He walks past YASMIN.

YASMIN: Would you like me to-

KARL: No! Thank you. I, er . . . just want to be on my own. I'll walk. I need the air. (Points to GRAHAM.) And I'm with him. We don't get aliens in Sheffield.

He slowly walks away.

GRACE: I think he's still in shock. Bless him.

DOCTOR: Obvious question, but has anyone noticed anything else out of the ordinary tonight?

YASMIN looks at RYAN. RYAN slowly raises his hand.

INT. YASMIN’S CAR, NIGHT

YASMIN is driving, the DOCTOR is in the passenger seat, RYAN behind YASMIN, GRAHAM behind the DOCTOR, and GRACE in the middle.

YASMIN: I'm gonna be in such trouble if they find out why I was there.

DOCTOR: Can we have the lights and siren on?

YASMIN: (aghast) No!

The DOCTOR looks away, disappointed.

YASMIN: I shouldn't be doing any of this!

DOCTOR: (Looks behind.) So you three know each other?

GRACE: I'm his nan, Graham's me husband.

They both smile, but RYAN isn’t happy.

RYAN: Second husband.

DOCTOR: (Points to RYAN and YASMIN.) And you two know each other?

RYAN: Yeah. Yaz and I were at school together.

DOCTOR: Huh.

GRACE: Not Yasmin Khan?

YASMIN: Hello, Ryan's nan.

GRACE: Haven't you done well for yourself, love?

DOCTOR: And you say you just found it there, this thing?

RYAN: Yeah, pretty much. I took pictures.

He hands over his phone. The DOCTOR gasps happily.

DOCTOR: Good lad! (Looks at the pictures.) That's exciting! No. Not exciting. What do I mean? Worrying. Fast as you can, Yaz.

She continues to study the pictures.

EXT. WOODS, NIGHT

RYAN shines his flashlight in the trees, searching for his bike, while YASMIN shines her flashlight on the ground to light their path.

RYAN: There's my bike.

DOCTOR: Why's it in a tree?

RYAN: We were up top and I chucked it over.

GRAHAM: He gets cross because he can't ride it.

GRACE: We're giving him lessons. He's got dyspraxia. It's a coordination disorder.

RYAN: Anyway, enough about me. The tree's to the left, so it should be . . . .

Both flashlights shine on the ground as they walk around the spot, but nothing is there.

YASMIN: It was definitely there.

DOCTOR: (Kneels.) So where's it gone?

EXT. VAN, NIGHT

The pod is strapped into the back of a nondescript white van driving under a bridge on the highway. The van passes a stadium and pulls over outside some buildings. Two men get out.

INT. INDUSTRIAL UNIT, NIGHT

RAHUL turns on a light to reveal his frightened face. The large workshop area has fancy cars lined up along one wall. RAHUL slowly approaches the pod. He walks around it, staring at it. His friend, ANDY, stands at a distance.

ANDY: Rahul. If you're right about that, should we not tell someone?

RAHUL can’t take his eyes off it.

RAHUL: What good would that do?

ANDY: I'm worried for you, mate.

RAHUL: I finally got it.

RAHUL approaches ANDY and gives him some money.

RAHUL: Go on, mate. Have a pint on me. I'll see you Monday. Pick you up at eight.

He turns back to the pod. ANDY watches him a moment, concerned, before walking away without a word.

RAHUL duct tapes a video camera to a post and sets up a tripod camera, both focused on the pod. He drags over a folding chair and sits and stares at it. His eyes are constantly wide, his eyebrows slowly knit with more and more anxiety. He is chewing gum and wipes his mouth.

EXT. CURB, NIGHT

The police car is parked on the curb. YASMIN is still inside while everyone else is standing outside. The DOCTOR speaks to YASMIN through the window.

DOCTOR: Two weird things, one city, same night. Makes me nervous.

YASMIN: I'll see if there's been any more reports on that object.

DOCTOR: Good, because we need all the information we can get. Meet us back here.

YASMIN nods and drives away.

GRAHAM: I can have a word with some of my old pals from work. If you want to know what's happening, ask a bus driver.

RYAN: He always says that.

GRAHAM: Yeah, that's ‘cause it is true, I'd still be doing it now if I could.

RYAN: I can search for weird stuff on social media.

The DOCTOR nods.

GRACE: And I'll check in with me nurses group on WhatsApp.

GRAHAM: Seriously though, aliens?

DOCTOR: Yep.

GRAHAM: Yeah, maybe I won't mention that bit.

He chuckles and walks away while the DOCTOR slumps. She pulls herself up.

DOCTOR: Suddenly I feel . . . really tired.

She begins breathing heavily and a ringing in her head grows in volume. She looks uncomfortable and GRACE comes over to help her.

GRACE: That was a big fall you had, love. Should get you checked out at A&E.

The DOCTOR quickly holds up a finger and steps back, still troubled by the memory of that traumatic regeneration.

DOCTOR: N-n-no. I never go anywhere that's just initials. Although . . . .

She takes a deep breath and sticks her finger in her nose. She seems slightly revived, but still a little woozy.

DOCTOR: Oh! Can one of you catch me?

RYAN: You're going to fall over?

DOCTOR: In two minutes, nineteen seconds. Wait! Forget the two minutes. Nineteen- Oh, this new nose is so unreliable.

Her eyes close and she falls. GRACE shouts in surprise and catches her.

INT. POLICE STATION, NIGHT

YASMIN gets out of the car and walks into the police station.

RAMESH: Yaz, you've done your shift. Stop pestering me for more interesting shouts.

He pushes through a door and she follows him.

YASMIN: It's not that. I'm just wondering whether there's been anything else out of the ordinary tonight?

He stops by another door to face her.

RAMESH: It's the night shift in Sheffield, everything's out of the ordinary.

He goes through the door and YASMIN makes an angry face.

EXT. BUS STATION, NIGHT

A bus drives away and GRAHAM is talking to three other bus drivers outside the bus station.

GRAHAM: I've got to ask you, any talk of weird stuff or strange creatures out tonight?

GABRIEL: My wife's out with her mates at karaoke, if that's what you mean.

The drivers laugh and GRAHAM joins in fakely.

INT. RYAN’S HOUSE, NIGHT

RYAN is scrolling on a white tablet. The DOCTOR is asleep on a couch next to a table with a photograph of GRACE and GRAHAM. GRACE walks into the room as a high-pitched whirring begins.

GRACE: (whispers) Ryan. Look.

RYAN looks to see the DOCTOR’s hands and neck glowing a gentle yellow. One of her hands slips off her stomach. RYAN stands and slowly approaches.

RYAN: Whoa.

GRACE takes the DOCTOR’s hand and feels her wrist, then looks up at RYAN with wide eyes.

GRACE: She's got two separate pulses.

RYAN just looks in confusion. With a deep exhale, a glowing strand of energy flows out the DOCTOR’s mouth and floats past GRACE and RYAN.

RYAN: Oh, my god. What is that?

GRACE: I have no idea.

RYAN watches it go.

RAHUL is still staring at the pod. His arms are crossed and his collar turned up against the cold. The lights flicker and go out. RAHUL looks around and gasps, eyes wide. The light flickers back on and he turns his attention to the pod, even more frightened than before. With a deep rumble, a large cr*ck, glowing yellow, appears from the tip of the pod down almost to the widest point. The lights continue to flicker. Steam emanates from the cr*ck. Another cr*ck appears down the other side, steam pouring out. RAHUL watches the lights flicker and the steam rise. The pod suddenly fractures down the first cr*ck and the two sides wobble slightly as they lose support. The yellow glow shines faintly on RAHUL’s terrified but awestruck face as the lights go out again.

EXT. ROOFTOP, NIGHT

On the roof of a tall, cylindrical building, the mass of electrical wires from the train floats and writhes. An electrical pulse seems to pour out over the city, creating a blue visual for the creature.

The pod rips in half with an expl*si*n, sending a piece flying. The camera taped to the post is on fire. RAHUL jumps out of his chair with a shout and grabs a crow bar out of a metal bucket as he backs away. Smoke pours heavily from the pod with a bright yellow glow. RAHUL grips the crow bar harder, staring at the pod.

INT. RYAN’S HOUSE, NIGHT

The DOCTOR sits up with a gasp.

DOCTOR: Oh!

She looks up at RYAN and GRACE, breathing heavily.

DOCTOR: Who woke me up? I'm not ready. Still healing. Still . . . .

She groans as she pushes herself up to stand on the couch. She looks around, a hand raised.

DOCTOR: Can you smell that? No, not smell. Not hear. Feel. Can you feel . . . .

She touches her collarbone and looks at RYAN, horrified.

DOCTOR: Stay still, Ryan.

YASMIN has returned and looks at RYAN, concerned.

RYAN: What is it? What's the matter?

The DOCTOR quickly gets down from the couch and pulls RYAN’s t-shirt down to see his collarbone. She sighs with worry.

DOCTOR: Show me your collarbones.

RYAN looks at a glowing red spot just on his collarbone. The DOCTOR looks at the glowing dots on YASMIN, GRACE, and GRAHAM’s collarbones, just the spot where they were all zapped by the mass of wires. GRACE puts her hand on top of GRAHAM’s.

DOCTOR: (whispering with horror) Oh, you've all got them.

RYAN: So have you.

DOCTOR: (Looks at the glowing point on her collarbone.) Yeah! I have. Okay.

She takes a breath and walks around behind them as she speaks.

DOCTOR: Really sorry. Not good news. DNA bombs. Microimplants which code to your DNA. On detonation, they disrupt the foundation of your genetic code, melting your DNA. Fast, and nasty, and outlawed in every civilised galaxy.

She comes back around the front and looks at RYAN’s microimplant again, who looks horrified.

RYAN: How did we get them?

GRAHAM: Never mind that, are they going to go off?

DOCTOR: Quiet, I'm trying to think. It's difficult, I'm . . . not yet who I am. (Gestures.) Brain and body still rebooting. Reformatting.

She gasps with delight as she points at RYAN’s phone on the table.

DOCTOR: Reformatting! (Walks to it.) Can I borrow that?

RYAN: Yeah, I guess so, but what for?

DOCTOR: (Picks it up.) That creature. On the train. (Walks toward them.) When you two came onboard, it zapped us all with these.

She turns back to the phone and it bleeps as she taps at it with her thumbs.

DOCTOR: Simple plan to take out witnesses. Very clever. Merciless, but clever.

After a moment, she inhales happily. She spreads her arms with a grin.

DOCTOR: I reformatted your phone.

RYAN: No! All my stuff's on there!

DOCTOR: (pleasantly) Not anymore!

RYAN puts his hand to his head in frustration. The DOCTOR holds the phone to her collarbone. A zap sends her flying against the open door with a shout. She falls to her hands and knees and looks up, her hair a bit disheveled.

DOCTOR: That nap did me the world of good. Very comfy sofa.

She looks at the phone, suddenly sober. She quickly gets up and runs across the room with a frustrated sigh. She runs back and looks at the others, inclining her head toward the door.

DOCTOR: Come on! Keep up.

She runs out of the room, watching the phone.

RAHUL slowly approaches the pod, crowbar raised. The entire thing has fallen apart, revealing a mass of metal, lit with yellow light, surrounded with smoke and broken pieces as the lights continue to flicker. The thing unfolds as it stands up. It is a humanoid, either made of metal or completely covered in armor. RAHUL stares at it, frightened, but doesn’t back down. The front of the creature’s helmet has a network of hexagonal glass panels, giving the impression of an insectoid eye. RAHUL speaks up with incredible bravery and beautiful loyalty.

RAHUL: Where's my sister?

The creature cocks its head slightly. It speaks in a deep, rumbling, slightly mechanical voice.

TZIM-SHA: Ask me again.

Every inch of RAHUL’s body is surely telling him to run, but he speaks with conviction and power in spite of his trembling voice.

RAHUL: Where's . . . my . . . sister?

The creature lets out a rumbling growl. He takes a step toward RAHUL, who backs into a row of hanging chains. The creature lifts his hand, glowing with a bright blue light.

TZIM-SHA: You will never know.

RAHUL screams as the creature grabs his face. The crowbar drops to the ground with a clang. The creature lets RAHUL fall, now silent. He bends down and there is a quick sound of tearing flesh.

INT. GRACE’S CAR, NIGHT

GRACE is driving with the DOCTOR in the passenger seat, GRAHAM behind GRACE, RYAN behind the DOCTOR, and YASMIN in the middle.

DOCTOR: (Looking at the beeping phone.) Next left.

YASMIN: (impatiently) Where are we driving to?

RYAN: I reckon she's using my phone to track the origin signal for the DNA bombs.

GRAHAM: Again, how long until they go off?

DOCTOR: Don't know.

GRAHAM: Well, can't we just defuse 'em?

DOCTOR: Not without the right equipment.

The phone beeps and she inhales sharply.

DOCTOR: Left again.

EXT. INDUSTRIAL UNIT, NIGHT

The tires screech. The car pulls up in front of the white van and everyone gets out. The road is wet with small puddles of standing water. The DOCTOR stands in front with everyone lined up behind her. She studies the phone, still beeping.

DOCTOR: We're close.

She spins around and crouches to examine a puddle, which is rippling. She seems to partially understand what is happening.

EXT. ROOFTOP, NIGHT

The mass of wires, still zapping above the roof, is inferenced as the cause of the rippling puddle, possibly due to the pulses it has been sending out to scan the city. Strands of electricity zap some transmission towers of some sort beside the creature.

The creature from the pod looks up from his victim, sensing the DOCTOR.

EXT. INDUSTRIAL UNIT, NIGHT

The DOCTOR stands as the phone starts beeping madly. Everyone flinches at an expl*si*n down the street and they all step back, RYAN holds GRACE, and the DOCTOR gives a shout of surprise. The DOCTOR takes a step forward.

DOCTOR: Bingo. (yells) Oi!

The silhouette of the creature stands shrouded in smoke.

DOCTOR: Oh. I was expecting a tentacle-y thing. Don't you move!

He immediately turns and walks away. The DOCTOR runs after him with a frustrated sigh.

RYAN: Wait, is that another alien? (Starts after the DOCTOR.)

GRACE: Looks like it.

She follows RYAN excitedly, enjoying the adventure, the unknown, and the adrenaline.

GRAHAM: Why is she running at another alien?

YASMIN: (Hesitates before following.) Don't just stand there, come on!

GRAHAM raises his arms, frustrated.

GRAHAM: Well . . . now you're all running at it.

He follows. They all run down the road through the smoke. The DOCTOR waves her arms as she slows to a stop and pants, holding her side.

DOCTOR: Oh! Lost it.

YASMIN: (Stops beside her.) He's fast.

DOCTOR: I'm slower because of all this . . .

She waves her hand, searching for how to describe it.

DOCTOR: fizzing inside.

RYAN calls from a short distance down the road.

RYAN: In here!

The DOCTOR and YASMIN turn to face him.

RYAN, YASMIN, and the DOCTOR, waving her arms, run through a large service door to join GRAHAM and GRACE, who is kneeling by RAHUL’s body.

GRAHAM: Got a man down over here.

GRACE: That thing must have k*lled him.

The DOCTOR bends down for a closer look.

GRACE: I- I've never seen injuries like these.

DOCTOR: Not a w*apon blast. More of an ice burn.

GRACE’s voice begins to tremble, seeing the horrors of life with the DOCTOR.

GRACE: It broke his jaw open, too.

DOCTOR: Looks like it took one of his teeth. What sort of creature kills someone then stops to pull out a tooth?

YASMIN looks disturbed, probably never having seen a brutally m*rder*d body before, being only a probation officer.

DOCTOR: I'm sorry you all had to see this.

GRACE: (Looks around.) I'll find something to cover the body.

DOCTOR: Thank you, Grace.

RYAN slowly approaches the lifeless pieces of the pod, unnoticed.

DOCTOR: I'm sorry any of this is happening. I'm sorry that thing on the train planted these bombs inside you and I'm sorry I haven't figured out what's going on yet.

RYAN: This is it. This is the thing.

He looks at the group and they approach.

YASMIN: It was all sealed up earlier. Looks like it's been broken.

The DOCTOR walks around it, excitedly studying it.

DOCTOR: Or it's done what it came here for. Some sort of transport chamber. Presumably for that thing we just saw in the alley. But why here? Why tonight?

RYAN looks like he knows something.

RYAN: Actually, that might have been me.

Everyone looks at him.

DOCTOR: (apprehensively) Why? What did you do?

RYAN: (Pointing abstractly.) When I went to get my bike, there was this line in the air. And then it moved and there were shapes.

DOCTOR: (Leans forward.) And?

RYAN shrugs, trying not to feel the shame.

RYAN: And I touched one.

GRACE: (sounding betrayed) Ryan.

RYAN: You’d all would have done the same.

GRAHAM: (almost offended) I wouldn't.

DOCTOR: (Raises her finger.) I would’ve.

RYAN: All right, the shapes disappeared. A few seconds later, that appeared.

He looks at the DOCTOR and asks very honestly and humbly.

RYAN: What have I done?

He looks at YASMIN, who is looking unhappily at him.

DOCTOR: (Cocks her head.) Hard to say, really.

She continues to study the pieces of the pod.

GRAHAM: I suppose you'll be blaming this on the dyspraxia as well. (Pointing angrily.) Can't ride a bike, started an alien invasion.

GRACE: (angrily) Graham.

GRAHAM: What?

GRACE: Enough, love!

RYAN: All right, I made a mistake. But why did that guy move this thing from the Peaks to here? And how did he even know it were there?

DOCTOR: Good questions.

GRAHAM, GRACE, and RYAN are still too awkward about the recent interaction to respond.

YASMIN: Let's take a look around here, see what we can find.

She gestures for RYAN to follow her, which he does after a moment. The DOCTOR is looking at the phone again.

DOCTOR: Can't follow it.

The image on the phone jumps and glitches.

DOCTOR: The tracking's been blocked, like it figured out what I was doing.

GRACE: If we were tracking b*mb signals from that creature from the train, why did they lead us here?

DOCTOR: (Points.) Another good question. I don't know. If I could analyse that . . . . Course, what I really need is my-

She reaches into her coat and growls at the lack of a sonic screwdriver, leaning with her hands on her knees. She suddenly perks up.

DOCTOR: I could build one! I'm good at building things! Probably.

She walks away with a smile.

INT. OFFICE, NIGHT

RYAN and YASMIN look around with flashlights. Lots of old devices and mechanisms lie on tables and shelves.

YASMIN: It's not your fault, all this.

RYAN: Yeah, it basically is.

YASMIN: You couldn't have known that was going to happen.

RYAN: Maybe tell Graham that.

YASMIN: He knows, really.

They round a corner and stand in front of a display cabinet full of old newspaper clippings.

YASMIN: Do you believe she's an alien?

RYAN: Yeah, I think I do, yeah. Is that mad?

YASMIN: No. I think I do too.

RYAN: Hey, er, look in here.

RYAN looks into the display cabinet. We see a clipping that reads “STRANGE SKIES OVER SHEFFIELD” and a photograph of two young children; RAHUL and his big sister.

INT. OFFICE, NIGHT

YASMIN finds a manilla folder and opens it to see a missing persons ad of a middle-aged woman and a newspaper clipping with the headline “Solar storm passes UK without incident.” A sub header reads “NEAR MISS FOR UK.” She turns the page while RYAN studies a messy desk under a messy posterboard. On the desk is another photo of RAHUL and his sister, grown up. RYAN turns on the computer.

RYAN: Hey, look at this.

YASMIN comes to see. RYAN scrolls the cursor over a video icon labeled “IF I DIE CLICK HERE.” They look at each other.

GRACE is holding GRAHAM’s arm.

GRAHAM: You don't look like an alien.

GRACE gently slaps his arm and some metal clinks.

DOCTOR: You should’ve seen me a few hours back. My whole body changed.

The DOCTOR is crouched, searching through tools and picking out a few. She’s lost 12’s red-lined coat and is wearing a mechanic’s apron.

DOCTOR: Every cell in my body burning. Some of them are still at it now, reordering, regenerating.

She stands up to the table, excited to begin.

GRACE: Sounds painful, love.

The DOCTOR sifts through some more items on the table.

DOCTOR: You have no idea. There's this moment where you're sure you're about to die and then . . . (Looks up.) you're born. (Drops some small bits into a pile.) It's terrifying.

She finds something exciting and picks it up. She turns to face GRACE and GRAHAM, holding two strange contraptions in her hands.

DOCTOR: Right now I'm a stranger to myself.

She gestures as she speaks, as if she’s trying to sort it out for herself as well as for GRACE and GRAHAM.

DOCTOR: There's echoes of who I was and a sort of call towards who I am. And I have to hold my nerve and trust all these new instincts. Shape myself towards them. (Smiles and shrugs.) I'll be fine. In the end. Hopefully.

She throws the two contraptions over her shoulders, echoing 11, and they clatter on the ground. She points at GRACE and GRAHAM.

DOCTOR: Well I have to be, because you guys need help.

She walks over to another table and picks up two hammers.

DOCTOR: And if there's one thing I'm certain of, when people need help, I never refuse. Right? This is going to be fun!

She pulls a translucent curtain across in front of herself.

This scene cuts back and forth, so if it seems out of order, that’s because it is. The DOCTOR looks down at some pieces of metal and swipes them all aside. She slams down a metal sheet, slips her hands into some large, leather gloves, and puts on some protective goggles. Her face lights up when she sees glowing yellow crystals inside the pod, lined up on either side of a red triangular device, and pulls one out. She flips her welding mask down. Lights flash. Sparks fly as the DOCTOR fires something with a blowtorch, her sleeves rolled up. She holds up a spoon and grins. Her face appears above a bin and drops in a handful of spoons. With the goggles on, she looks at the flame of the blowtorch and makes a face. She turns a knob. She has a pole with two tubes on the end, both of which blow much more fire than the little flame she got from the blowtorch. She lowers it toward the bucket and flames the spoons. She runs around the bucket with a fire extinguisher, filling the room with white gas. The tip of a tool touches a circuit board. The DOCTOR’s giant blurry eye is visible through the magnifying glass as she carefully works with the circuit board. Now in a dirty labcoat, she drags a sledge hammer along the ground and shouts as she swings it up and down on something with a loud clash. A bright flash causes GRACE and GRAHAM to flinch and look behind them. The DOCTOR is now wearing circular goggles and looks in awe at her creation. It is all silver and actually shaped like a spoon if you look at a spoon from the side. A white crystal sticks out of the handle side of the spoon. The curtains crinkle as she parts them and walks out with a smile, holding her brand new sonic screwdriver.

DOCTOR: Ta-da!

The sonic screwdriver whirs and the crystal glows yellow, along with some parts of the handle. It sparks loudly and the DOCTOR flinches.

DOCTOR: Ooh. Should be fine.

GRACE and GRAHAM look at her like she’s mad. RYAN calls from across the room.

RYAN: Hey! We found a load of stuff.

The DOCTOR lowers the screwdriver and GRACE and GRAHAM turn to face him.

INT. OFFICE, NIGHT

On the computer screen, RAHUL takes a trembling breath.

RAHUL: It's come back. The thing I saw the night my sister . . . everyone always says "disappeared", but . . . I know she was taken. Seven years now. Tracking energy signals, building predictive programmes, so that I'd know when the atmospheric disruptions matched what happened that day. But tonight it came back again.

The tremble in his voice vanishes, replaced with conviction.

RAHUL: And I've got it. I am gonna find out what happened to my sister. If anything happens to me, her name was Asha. Don't let anyone else go through this.

He breathes and his mouth moves as if he’s considering saying more. He remains silent and ends the recording with a beep.

RYAN: He knew what he was doing might k*ll him.

The DOCTOR steps forward and picks up a photograph on the desk.

DOCTOR: She was his family.

The photo depicts RAHUL and his sister all dressed up. If the DOCTOR wasn’t determined before, she is now.

The sonic screwdriver whirs as the DOCTOR scans the pieces of the pod. It bleeps as she looks at the readings.

RYAN: Did you just make that?

DOCTOR: Sonic screwdriver. Well, I say screwdriver, but it's a bit more multi-purpose than that.

She continues scanning as she shuffles around the pod.

DOCTOR: Scanner, diagnostics, tin opener. More of a . . . sonic Swiss Army Kn*fe. (Looks up to be clear.) Only without the Kn*fe. Only idiots carry knives.

She goes back to scanning.

RYAN: What were you doing with it?

DOCTOR: Mapping the distance this object has travelled. It looks like it started over six-thousand galaxies away.

YASMIN: How can you tell?

The DOCTOR runs over to point at the metal section of the pod still intact, with a triangular red piece and yellow crystals, one of which the DOCTOR took for the sonic screwdriver.

DOCTOR: That bit there. Recall circuitry. It's designed for a return journey.

GRAHAM: So whatever k*lled that bloke will have to come back here?

DOCTOR: Question is, why did it leave? What's it looking for?

GRACE: What's your best guess, love?

DOCTOR: (Sighs and stands.) Two aliens, one city, one night. Best guess? Two species at w*r using Earth as a battleground.

YASMIN: Are you joking?

The DOCTOR quickly passes behind the four of them.

DOCTOR: Nope. Sorry.

GRAHAM points at the DOCTOR, trying to work it out, while she finds a large bag and a large bottle.

GRAHAM: So- so you're saying that the creature on the train and the thing that come out of here, they're now looking for each other, spoiling for a scrap?

DOCTOR: Bit more than a scrap.

The DOCTOR walks past them with the bag and bottle and begins to fill the bag with stuff.

YASMIN: What are we gonna do? Because this is my home, and I'm not having it being an alien battleground.

DOCTOR:We stop them meeting, capture them, send them home, away from each other and away from Earth.

She studies something like a radio, turning a dial, before putting it in the bag.

RYAN: How do we do that?

DOCTOR: Well, give me a minute, I'm working on it.

GRAHAM: Not to sound like a stuck record, but can I just ask about these DNA bombs? Like, how long have we got left?

DOCTOR: (Turns to face them.) Enough questions! You lot, you love to chat, I get it. Lots to do, I'm working on it all. And I haven't forgotten about your collar bones, Graham.

GRAHAM’s phone rings.

DOCTOR: Give me nine minutes, a bit of quiet, and I'll be ready to roll.

She turns back to her stash as GRAHAM steps away with his phone.

DOCTOR: Scout's honour.

GRAHAM: Hello? Yeah, Kevin.

The DOCTOR drapes a coiled cable over her shoulder. GRAHAM’s face lights up.

GRAHAM: No. No, mate. That's exactly the sort of thing.

The DOCTOR grabs a metal rod connected to some kind of mechanism and walks off with determination.

EXT. ROAD, NIGHT

A half-slice of tomato drops onto the ground with a small splash on the wet road.

DEAN: No! Nuh-uh.

A drunk man staggers down the road, picking things out of his takeout salad and throwing them on the ground. A slice of cucumber lands next to the tomato. He slows when he looks up, seeing the creature from the pod. The creature steps toward him and steam pours out of the unit on his back with a hiss. He growls softly and cocks his head slightly.

DEAN: Halloween's next month, mate.

Steam continues to drift out of the creature’s metal suit. The drunk man starts throwing his vegetables at the creature. He stands unamused as tomatoes, cucumbers, and onions fly off his armor.

DEAN: Eat my salad, Halloween!

He keeps throwing food at the creature. His face suddenly falls and the creature stomps toward him. He grabs the man’s face as his palm glows and zaps and the man screams. Lightning flashes in the sky. The creature kneels and pulls a tooth out of his newest victim. He stands and looks toward the sky. Electric flashes reflect in his faceplate. He stomps away, smashing the boxed salad under his boot.

EXT. ROOFTOP, NIGHT

The mass of wires is still zapping. The DOCTOR and company appear.

DOCTOR: Hi. Us again!

They quickly surround it, putting devices on the ground around it, and the DOCTOR clips a jumper cable to a metal tower.

DOCTOR: Now!

GRACE jabs the metal rod into the creature. She groans through her teeth and her face lights up as the creature zaps madly. It falls to the ground once again, lifeless.

RYAN: Get in! It actually worked.

DOCTOR: Course it worked! I'm not an amateur.

They all look down at it and the DOCTOR bends over.

DOCTOR: Overloaded its sockets, stunned it for a bit. Not sure for how long, though. (Kneels, pulling out the sonic screwdriver.) Best be quick. And thank you to Kevin the bus driver for location intel.

The sonic screwdriver whirs as she scans the pile of cables. GRAHAM looks proud of himself.

GRAHAM: See? Always ask a bus driver.

GRACE and YASMIN smile at him, but RYAN shakes his head.

DOCTOR: Half-organic, half-machine, starts to make sense now.

She looks at her readings. She stands and looks at the creature.

DOCTOR: Wait. It's a Gathering Coil. No, dozens of Gathering Coils! (Kneels and gestures.) These tentacle-y things, they're creatures which gather information. They've been lashed together and augmented into one super-creature. But why? What data are they gathering? (Stands, having an idea.) Unless . . . .

YASMIN: So that's an alien species?

DOCTOR: Not really. More of a semi-species, weaponized biotech.

YASMIN: You said there were two aliens in a battle.

DOCTOR: You're right, I did, but now I think I'm wrong and I'm trying to catch up with what that might mean. (Thinks a moment.) If I can access the data it's gathered . . . .

She points the sonic screwdriver at it and a blue holographic image appears with a flash, startling everyone.

GRAHAM: Whoa!

The image spins slowly. It is a human face.

GRAHAM: It's Karl from the train!

DOCTOR: Karl's the data. That's what it was gathering on the train!

GRAHAM: But . . . what would the alien want with him?

TZIM-SHA: Which one of you shall I k*ll first?

They all look up to see the creature standing in his cloud of steam.

DOCTOR: I'm voting none of us. (Quickly walking to the front of the group.) Get behind me now.

The creature takes a step and the DOCTOR raises a hand.

DOCTOR: Stop right there. Come any further and we'll blast whatever that thing is. (Points.)

TZIM-SHA: You're interfering in things you don't understand.

DOCTOR: Yeah, well, we all need a hobby.

TZIM-SHA: You're not human. Who are you?

She steps forward, ready to give a dramatic speech.

DOCTOR: Me? I'm . . . . (Growls and turns away.) Oh, it's gone again! I had it a minute ago, it's so annoying! (Faces him, back on track.) Same question, back at you. No, in fact, before that, because it's really bugging me. No, actually not bugging me, offending me! Why the teeth? Bad enough you k*ll, why take a tooth from the victim?

The creature’s armor hisses as he raises his hand to his helmet and removes the faceplate. The DOCTOR looks on, hardly affected by the gruesome sight. The creature’s skin is blue and dozens of teeth have been grafted into his face.

TZIM-SHA: A Stenza warrior wears his conquests.

RYAN’s face is contorted in disgust and YASMIN steps back with a horrified gasp. GRACE looks disgusted as well and GRAHAM looks like he isn’t comprehending what he’s seeing.

TZIM-SHA: You may tell your children you were once privileged to encounter Tzim-Sha of the Stenza.

DOCTOR: Tim Shaw?

TZIM-SHA pauses, caught off-guard.

TZIM-SHA: (hesitantly) Tzim-Sha.

DOCTOR: (Inclining her ear.) Tim Shaw?

TZIM-SHA: (angrily) Tzim-Sha! Soon to be leader of the Stenza warrior race, Conquerors of the Nine systems.

DOCTOR: When you say "soon to be leader", what are you now, the office junior?

GRAHAM: Hey, d-d- don't wind him up!

TZIM-SHA: Tonight is my challenge. Trace and obtain the selected human trophy.

DOCTOR: It's a hunt. You're on a hunt!

TZIM-SHA: Well done. Your tiny mind must be burning with such effort.

DOCTOR: Did he just say I had a small mind?

TZIM-SHA: The challenge is simple, our leaders randomly designate a selected human. I'm sent here alone, no weapons, no assistance. I must locate and obtain the trophy and return home with it, victorious. By doing this, I ascend to leader. This is the ritual of the Stenza.

YASMIN: This happened before. Rahul's sister.

DOCTOR: Earth is not a hunting ground.

TZIM-SHA: Access was granted.

RYAN’s eyes widen, realizing what he means.

RYAN: (emphatically) No, it wasn't. It was a misunderstanding. Access revoked, as of now, by me.

DOCTOR: Just to pick up on one thing, you don't mind, do you? You said the rules were, "no weapons, no assistance."

TZIM-SHA: Correct.

DOCTOR: How did you k*ll them? What caused the ice burns?

TZIM-SHA: We Stenza live in temperatures far below this planet. One touch of my cold skin will k*ll a human.

DOCTOR: (Smiling.) So this super-powered Gathering Coil right here, you're not meant to have it, are you?

TZIM-SHA: (Growls.) The creature is irrelevant.

DOCTOR: I don't think it is. I think you smuggled it ahead of you. I think it located the "randomly designed human" for you. I think you broke the rules. Some leader you're going to make.

TZIM-SHA just listens, refusing to give her the pleasure of seeing his anger.

DOCTOR: Tim Shaw is a big, blue cheat.

He raises his flashing hand with a growl and the DOCTOR jumps back.

DOCTOR: Okay, fine, have it.

She steps aside. Everyone moves away as TZIM-SHA approaches, keeping his palm aimed at the DOCTOR. He lowers his hand and kneels by the Gathering Coil. He touches it and blue strands of light trail up his arm.

RYAN: What's it doing?

DOCTOR: Total transference.

The blue strands travel all the way up to TZIM-SHA’s head. He stands and faces them.

DOCTOR: If you've finished, let's be really clear. You're not taking any human from Earth tonight. Leave now, or we're gonna stop you.

TZIM-SHA: Good luck.

TZIM-SHA crouches, activating a teleport system. Both he and the Gathering Coil vanish with an electrical buzz and a bright flash, causing everyone to shield their faces. The DOCTOR raises her hands in anger.

DOCTOR: No! Short-range teleport! Double cheat!

She sighs angrily as she turns to face the group.

YASMIN: Where have they gone?

DOCTOR: To hunt.

RYAN: Hunt who?

DOCTOR: Isn't it obvious?

INT. KARL’S CRANE CAB, NIGHT

KARL puts down his phone, which is playing a program called “you are valued” and picks up a mug of coffee. He sits back with a sigh and a smile.

WOMAN ON RECORDING: I am special.

KARL: I am special.

WOMAN ON RECORDING: I am valued.

KARL: I am valued.

WOMAN ON RECORDING: Somebody out there wants me.

KARL: Somebody out there wants me.

He takes a sip, smiling. He pushes a lever and the cab of the crane begins to rotate.

INT. SECURITY HUT, NIGHT

At the entrance gate to the construction site, a security guard speaks on a video call at his desk in the security hut. He is not looking at the monitor which is split in four parts playing live video of the site.

DENNIS: You stay up too late, madam. Let your mum get some sleep, she works very hard for you . . . . Mind you, I like it that you called me. Not every granddad's this lucky.

A light flashes out the window and we see it in the footage on the computer at the same time. The security guard looks up at the window. He looks out for a moment before turning back to his video call.

DENNIS: Daisy, love, I've gotta go now. I love you loads.

He grabs his radio and parts the shades to look out. He leaves the window and approaches the intruder off-screen.

DENNIS: What do you think you're-

The hut glows bright blue and the security guard screams as TZIM-SHA takes another life. The hunter bends down and rips out a tooth. The lifeless hand of the security guard lies in a puddle, which TZIM-SHA steps in as he walks away.

INT. GRACE’S CAR, NIGHT

GRACE’s car drives down the road.

YASMIN: Karl's number's going straight to voicemail.

RYAN: Got him. Karl Wright, operator for Skylark Building Services.

The DOCTOR turns a knob on the metal rod that GRACE used to disable the Gathering Coil.

GRAHAM: I know where their site is. It ain't far. Grace, next right, love.

The tires squeal as GRACE turns the wheel.

INT. KARL’S CRANE, NIGHT

TZIM-SHA rapidly climbs the crane. KARL has his hand on the lever, looking ready to fall asleep. He happens to glance down and looks in confusion for a moment, seeing a dark figure climbing the crane. He quickly grabs his radio.

KARL: Dennis . . . there's someone climbing up to me cab. Dennis.

KARL’s voice grows more urgent as the figure continues to climb.

KARL: Dennis, it's Karl!

EXT. ENTRANCE GATE, NIGHT

A sign on the entrance gate reads “CAUTION Site Entrance” and “SITE SAFETY STARTS HERE.” The brakes squeak as GRACE stops in front of the gate. Everyone gets out and the DOCTOR runs to the gate with her big bag in one hand and waving the other. She stops to study the huge hole TZIM-SHA has made in the gate.

EXT. CONSTRUCTION SITE, NIGHT

DENNIS’s hand lies in a puddle, still holding his muddy radio. The DOCTOR approaches as KARL’s voice comes through DENNIS’s radio.

KARL: Dennis, I need help! Someone's on my crane!

The DOCTOR picks up the radio and sighs as the group comes up behind her.

DOCTOR: Oh, great. Karl's a crane operator. He would be, wouldn't he?

RYAN notices the crane and TZIM-SHA climbing the side.

RYAN: It's over there.

GRAHAM: That creature's guarding the bottom of it.

DOCTOR: Graham, Grace, I need you to take this equipment and get everybody off this site. Don't care how, use your initiative. Do not come back in, understand?

GRAHAM and GRACE nod.

DOCTOR: Ryan, Yaz, how are you with machinery . . . (Inhales dramatically.) and heights?

EXT. DOCTOR’S CRANE, NIGHT

RYAN, YASMIN, and the DOCTOR, waving her arms, run to the other crane and pause, looking up, before running to its base. The DOCTOR immediately begins climbing.

DOCTOR: That tentacle-y thing is guarding Karl's crane, so we go up this one.

YASMIN takes hold of one of the bars and she and RYAN look up at the DOCTOR.

YASMIN: What do we do when we get up there?

DOCTOR: (Stops to look down.) Don't worry, I've got a plan. (Continues climbing.)

YASMIN: Really?

DOCTOR: (Stops again.) Well, I will by the time we get to the top.

She continues climbing. YASMIN looks at RYAN and begins climbing. She remembers RYAN and stops to look down.

YASMIN: Are you all right with this? ‘Cause if it's a problem you don't have to do it.

RYAN: I do. I can do this.

YASMIN gives him an encouraging smile and continues. RYAN, with a flashlight in one hand, grabs a rung with purpose, looking up in determination to defy his label, tired of being treated like less. He begins to climb.

Construction workers walk past GRAHAM and GRACE, who are wearing likely stolen vests.

GRAHAM: Thank you very much. Total site shutdown. Quick as you can, please. Thank you. Major power issues. Very serious. Emergency services on the way.

GRACE: Off-site immediately, please. Matter of urgency.

KARL: (Trying not to panic.) You can't come up here!

TZIM-SHA climbs closer and closer.

KARL: Turn around, please. Go on!

DOCTOR: Oi! Karl from the train!

KARL looks for the source of her voice and spots the DOCTOR on the other crane. The DOCTOR waves her arm.

DOCTOR: Up and over! Up and over!

KARL: (high-pitched) You have got to be kidding!

He looks down and sees the creature too close for comfort and begins breathing heavily.

KARL: I am valued. I am special.

He looks up to the hatch from which he can get onto the arm of the crane as TZIM-SHA’s armor bangs against the metal.

EXT. KARL’S CRANE CAB, NIGHT

KARL opens the hatch into the night air, panting in fear, where a little wind catcher is spinning madly. He puts on his hard hat. The DOCTOR sees that he’s coming out and continues her climb.

RYAN is carefully climbing the ladder. As he steps up, his foot slips and he falls a rung. The flashlight goes spinning away, banging the structure as it falls. RYAN breathes heavily a moment before quickly calming down.

YASMIN: (Looks down.) Ryan, are you okay?

He nods and continues climbing, still a little shaken.

EXT. KARL’S CRANE ARM, NIGHT

KARL lands on the arm of the crane on his hands and knees, breathing heavily. He crawls along the platform.

The radio hanging in the empty cab buzzes with static. TZIM-SHA’s armored hand slams against the glass. He looks out at KARL, clawing his fingers against the glass, creating trails in the condensation. He pulls his fist back and crashes it straight through the window.

KARL continues to crawl across the arm of the crane, breathing hard. He glances behind himself and talks to himself as he continues.

KARL: I am confident. I achieve my goals. I achieve my goals.

He passes a sign hanging from a chain that reads “Danger: Damaged handrail.”

The DOCTOR takes RYAN’s arm and helps him up.

RYAN: (Laughs.) Oh, we made it!

He looks around, realizing how little room there is and how lacking the safety is.

RYAN: Oh! Oh, no, no, no! It's way too high up here.

YASMIN: What's the plan? You said you'd have a plan.

DOCTOR: Nearly. Neeaarly, nearly. (Snaps both hands and inhales sharply.) I got one. (Pointing and swinging her arms.) I climb onto the arm of this crane, you swing the arm round next to Karl's crane.

RYAN: Oh, no, you're kidding!

DOCTOR: Karl steps across, you swing the arm away. I get him back in here, all back down for a cuppa and a fried egg sandwich. I'm really craving a fried egg sandwich. Simple, no?

The wind doesn’t seem too strong, but the DOCTOR’s hair is starting to cover her face.

YASMIN: Not really.

DOCTOR: All right! It's a work in progress. But so’s life. It'll be fine! (Reaches into her pocket.) Ooh! I got these downstairs. One must work.

Keys jangle as the DOCTOR places them in YASMIN’s hand.

DOCTOR: You can figure out how to work a crane, right? Go.

The DOCTOR runs down the arm, leaving YASMIN and RYAN to look at each other.

EXT. DOCTOR’S CRANE ARM, NIGHT

The DOCTOR runs down the arm and stops to look over the edge, holding onto some posts while the wind blows. She finally seems to realize what she’s gotten herself into.

DOCTOR: Yup! Way too high.

She continues more carefully.

GRACE is running toward the cranes. GRAHAM catches up to her and stops her by taking her arm.

GRAHAM: Grace, she explicitly said not to come back and it's not safe!

GRACE looks toward a flash. The Gathering Coil is zapping at the tower of the DOCTOR’s crane.

GRACE: Look, it swapped cranes, it's trying to bring it down!

She quickly pulls her lime green vest off and thrusts it at GRAHAM, crumpled in a ball.

GRACE: We have to stop it.

GRAHAM: Huh?

She runs toward the crane. GRAHAM sighs as he removes his vest and follows her.

KARL is struggling to keep it together and attempts to quickly straighten his hard hat, but it remains crooked, as he is too frightened to lift his hand off the ground for more than a second. He reaches the end, grabs a pole, and looks over the edge. He gasps in terror.

INT. DOCTOR’S CRANE CAB, NIGHT

Keys clang as one drops onto a pile. YASMIN sighs with frustration as she tosses down three more. She looks at one more.

YASMIN: Last one.

She slips it into the slot. She turns it and the machine whirrs to life.

YASMIN: (Smiles.) Get in!

A green light on the outside of the cab buzzes as it lights up and RYAN looks nervously out the window.

YASMIN: Okay, now we just need to swing the arm around to meet that one.

RYAN is poking at his phone to find out how to operate a crane.

RYAN: Right, I think this shows us. Ready?

He shows YASMIN and she looks at it.

YASMIN: Every day's a learning day.

She pushes a lever and the crane begins to rotate with a mechanical whir, the DOCTOR standing on the very edge of the arm.

DOCTOR: Wrong way! Wrong way!

RYAN: Wrong way. Wrong way!

YASMIN: I know! Shut up!

YASMIN looks at the phone and pushes the lever the other way.

EXT. CRANES, NIGHT

The DOCTOR smiles as the arm moves back toward KARL’s crane. She calls to KARL when the arms are close enough.

DOCTOR: Hiya! Again!

KARL yells back at her over the sound of the wind and the machines whirring.

KARL: What's going on?

DOCTOR: When the arms line up just . . . step across.

He whimpers slightly and looks back, watching for TZIM-SHA.

The Gathering Coil continues to zap dangerously on the tower of the DOCTOR’s crane.

INT. DOCTOR’S CRANE CAB, NIGHT

The green light turns off and a fuse box bursts with sparks, causing RYAN and YASMIN to jump and shield their faces.

EXT. CRANES, NIGHT

The DOCTOR’s crane halts its progression, causing the DOCTOR to stumble against the railing with a shout.

DOCTOR: Whoa! Ahhh!

She sighs as she recovers. Her crane is only a few feet away, but much lower than KARL’s.

KARL: (voice squeaking) How am I supposed to get across there now?

DOCTOR: When I said "step", obviously, I meant jump! (Waving toward herself.) Jump across!

KARL: I can't do that!

DOCTOR: Of course you can! Stand up! Quick jump. Chop chop, I'll catch you!

KARL: I don't know! I'm not great with heights!

DOCTOR: (confused) What?

KARL: It's my dad's company.

The metal clangs as TZIM-SHA lands on the arm of KARL’s crane and walks along the platform.

DOCTOR: Pop on over!

KARL looks at TZIM-SHA approaching and faces the DOCTOR, breathing hard.

KARL: Okay! I am special.

DOCTOR: Yes, you are!

KARL: I am brave! (Pulls himself to his feet.) And I am . . . gonna . . . jump!

DOCTOR: No time like the present!

KARL whimpers and runs to the edge. He leaps off. The DOCTOR stands with arms wide. RYAN stops in mid-air, caught by TZIM-SHA holding the back of his shirt. He shouts and pants in fear. The DOCTOR watches helplessly.

DOCTOR: Let him go!

TZIM-SHA pulls KARL back up to the crane and drags him away, struggling.

KARL: I'm sorry!

The hunter drags his prey away. The DOCTOR takes a step back.

DOCTOR: If you want something doing.

She walks backwards down the arm as KARL continues to shout for help. She stops then breaks into a run. For the first time she isn’t waving her arms awkwardly, but pumping them powerfully. The DOCTOR with her tattered, baggy, gentleman’s suit and blonde hair sprints down the arm of the crane.

GRAHAM and GRACE watch from the ground in shock.

RYAN and YASMIN watch from the cab in shock. The four of them speak in unison.

ALL: Oh, my god.

The DOCTOR’s boot lands on the edge and she launches herself into the air, waving her arms and legs. She barely catches the edge of KARL’s crane and hangs with a shout.

RYAN and YASMIN watch with concern.

The DOCTOR stares down at the ground and her dangling legs.

DOCTOR: These legs definitely used to be longer.

She growls as she begins to pull herself up. She grabs the grating with one hand and a pole with the other as she growls again. She pulls herself over the edge and stands, panting.

DOCTOR: Oi! Tim Shaw!

TZIM-SHA stops.

DOCTOR: You stop right there!

He lets go of KARL, who is gasping in terror. KARL, although free for the moment, is too frightened to move. TZIM-SHA turns to face the DOCTOR and removes his mask.

KARL: Ohh! He's got a face of teeth!?

DOCTOR: I know. I've got this. (Looks up at TZIM-SHA.) Let him go. Or I destroy . . . this.

She feels her pockets and looks down, searching frantically.

DOCTOR: (Groans.) I really need a new coat.

TZIM-SHA and KARL look at each other as something metal clanks in the DOCTOR’s pockets. The DOCTOR holds up the triangular red device from the pod.

DOCTOR: This. The recall from the pod you travelled in. I took it out. Without this, you can't get home.

TZIM-SHA just watches her coldly.

DOCTOR: Yeah, see? Now you're worried.

TZIM-SHA takes a step toward her and she takes a step back, holding the device over the edge.

DOCTOR: If I fall, this falls with me. Then you're stuck.

The DOCTOR and TZIM-SHA standoff on the arm of the crane.

Two bags drop on the ground. GRACE sorts through one and GRAHAM grunts as he lifts a large cable over his shoulder. GRACE looks at GRAHAM.

GRACE: Yeah?

GRACE: Come on.

They walk away.

DOCTOR: What do you do with them, your human trophies?

TZIM-SHA: They're held in stasis in our trophy chambers on the cusp between life and death.

DOCTOR: (sadly) Left to rot? How completely obscene.

TZIM-SHA: They're not important.

KARL: Hey! I'm important.

DOCTOR: If I don't stop you, your people will keep doing this.

TZIM-SHA: Give me the circuit. (Presses a button on his neck, which lights up yellow.) Or I detonate the bombs placed in your friends.

DOCTOR: (disdainfully) More weapons. Did your pet put one in Karl too?

KARL: What?

TZIM-SHA: There was no need. He was tagged. He is the trophy.

DOCTOR: I thought as much. Right, you detonate the bombs, I'll destroy the recall. So what are we gonna do?

TZIM-SHA growls.

A padlock on a door clatters as GRACE breaks it with a crowbar and opens the door into a shed. She and GRAHAM look inside.

GRACE: Right. You rewired the house, so you sort things out this end, I'll climb up. (Faces him.)

GRAHAM: I don't want you doing that!

GRACE: Graham, Ryan's in danger, we don't have time to argue. (Takes the rod from GRAHAM.) Give me the signal when you're ready.

She walks away as GRAHAM looks back into the shed.

GRAHAM: Okay.

GRACE comes back and kisses GRAHAM. She looks at him with a huge smile.

GRACE: Is it wrong to be enjoying this?

GRAHAM: (emphatically) Yes!

GRACE just laughs and kisses him again. She runs off and GRAHAM watches with concern and sighs. GRACE grabs a jumper cable and runs toward the Gathering Coil on the crane, the spool spinning as the cable unravels.

DOCTOR: Poor Tim Shaw, the wannabe leader who has to cheat because he knows he's unworthy. See, that's why I know you won't detonate. Although, you could prove me wrong. Because we're all capable of the most incredible change. We can evolve while still staying true to who we are. We can honour who we've been and choose who we want to be next. Now's your chance. How about it?

KARL looks up at TZIM-SHA.

TZIM-SHA: Who are you?

DOCTOR: (Smiles.) Yes. I'm glad you asked that again. Bit of adrenaline, dash of outrage, and a hint of panic knitted my brain back together. (Takes a few steps toward him.) I know exactly who I am. I'm the Doctor. Sorting out fair play throughout the universe. Now, please, get off this planet . . . while you still have a choice.

TZIM-SHA: I choose to win.

He presses the button on his neck again. The device begins beeping.

GRAHAM is unaware of the beeping. So is GRACE, getting ready to climb the crane.

RYAN and YASMIN are still watching from the cab, unable to discern what’s happening.

TZIM-SHA suddenly growls in pain, staggering back and dropping his faceplate with a clang.

DOCTOR: Sorry. I removed those nasty little things from my friends.

She takes the sonic screwdriver out of her pocket and it lights up with a whir.

DOCTOR: Swiss Army Sonic. Now with added Sheffield Steel. And I implanted them back in your creature.

TZIM-SHA growls, bending forward, racked with another wave of pain.

DOCTOR: Transference wasn't just data, it was physical. You got everything transferred to you, including five tiny bombs.

He continues to groan as he staggers in pain. He lowers his head to glare at the DOCTOR. Black slime is oozing from beneath his helmet.

DOCTOR: You had a choice. You did this to yourself.

He yells in pain.

DOCTOR: Go home.

The DOCTOR tosses him the recall. KARL grunts as he kicks his leg out and trips TZIM-SHA, who falls through the damaged handrail and plummets to the ground with a scream. He connects the recall to his chestplate and vanishes. The DOCTOR runs to the broken rail and she and KARL look down.

KARL: (yelling after TZIM-SHA) I am important!

DOCTOR: You had no right to do that.

KARL looks at her, confused.

GRACE is standing on a bar just below the Gathering Coil.

GRACE: Put a b*mb in me, would you?

She sticks the rod into the Gathering Coil and struggles to hold it as the creature’s tendrils writhe.

GRACE: Now, Graham!

GRAHAM pulls a lever and flinches with a grunt as sparks fly.

The Gathering Coil shakes and writhes frantically, zapping red as well as blue.

GRACE: It's working!

GRACE struggles to hold the rod in the creature, grimacing with the light flashing on her face. With its last surge of energy, the Gathering Coil sends one last powerful bolt straight into GRACE’s chest. She falls off the crane as the Gathering Coil collapses into hundreds of individual cords. The cable swirls on the ground as it falls and the rod hits the ground. GRACE lies motionless on the wet cement. GRAHAM runs to her and kneels. She reaches up to caress his stunned face, breathing heavily.

GRACE: Don't be cross with me.

GRAHAM: I'm not cross, baby. I'm not cross.

GRACE: Promise me . . . you won't be scared.

GRAHAM: What? What do you mean?

GRACE: Without me.

Her eyes close.

GRAHAM: (whispering) Grace.

Her head falls to the side. He gently caresses her face.

GRAHAM: (whispering) Grace.

He just stares at her, the shock beginning to give way to grief. RYAN climbs down the ladder as quickly as he can and runs over, followed by YASMIN. RYAN crouches beside GRAHAM and looks at him mom, his face filled with horror, shock, and grief. The DOCTOR runs over silently, arms waving. GRAHAM holds RYAN and looks up at the DOCTOR, nothing but sadness in his face. The DOCTOR watches sadly. RYAN bends over his mother and everyone is silent.

INT. COMPUTER SCREEN

RYAN speaks while the screen is still black.

RYAN: So today I want to talk about the greatest woman I ever met. Smart, funny, caring. Proper special.

RYAN is continuing his YouTube video. He takes a deep breath.

RYAN: My nan.

He pauses, struggling to keep his emotions together.

RYAN: Because, er . . . she d*ed.

RYAN is sitting in his room, facing a bright window.

RYAN: First me mum six years ago and now me nan. It's like the best people get taken first.

A photo of GRACE is on a desk between a camera and a figurine of a royal guard.

RYAN: I had a lot to learn from her. And I were looking forward to that. She d*ed like she lived, trying to help other people. I love you, Nan. And tomorrow . . . I'm going out there for you.

EXT. HILLTOP, DAY

RYAN walks his bike along the path on the hilltop. He brushes the grass off the pedal and spins it with his foot. He grips the handlebars with gloved hands. He takes a deep breath and holds it as he looks up in determination. He lets his breath out. He pushes the pedal and rides. He swerves badly, but manages to stay moving for a moment before falling with a groan. He pushes himself up, grunting. He pushes his bike and climbs on with a frustrated sigh.

RYAN: Three, two, one.

He rides and falls again. He hits the ground twice before standing and picking up his bike. He falls again, and again. He grunts angrily as he pushes his bike and grunts again as he climbs on. He growls at it, struggling to hold back tears. The DOCTOR is watching enigmatically from a distance, still in the tattered black coat. She watches him ride and fall again, and pick himself up.

INT. CHAPEL FOYER, DAY

A photo of GRACE sits on a table between two candles. RYAN stands in front of the glass doors of the chapel, staring out. The DOCTOR approaches and stands beside him, her hands in her pockets. She has lost the coat in order to look decent, but still wears the rest of 12’s outfit with the long sleeves rolled up.

DOCTOR: What time did your dad say he'd get here?

RYAN: Two hours ago.

DOCTOR: (optimistically) If he said he'll come . . . .

RYAN: He says a lot of things.

The DOCTOR nods, understanding.

RYAN: He's never been the best at being reliable.

He looks at the DOCTOR and she just nods quietly. He looks out the door again.

RYAN: I mean, how can he not be here? She's his mum. She would have wanted him here.

The DOCTOR just watches him.

RYAN: I want him here.

The DOCTOR looks sadly out with RYAN.

INT. CHAPEL SANCTUARY, DAY

The high roof peaks in a pentagon. A chandelier of candles hangs low.

GRAHAM: Lots of you knew Grace longer than me.

GRAHAM stands under an arch of purple, teal, and gold balloons in front of two tables, each with two candles. The pews are full.

GRAHAM: So I can't stand here and pretend to know everything about her. I wasn't her first husband, but . . . she said I would do for a second attempt.

Light chuckling spreads around the room. RYAN looks down with a little sad smile. GRAHAM rubs and wrings his hands.

GRAHAM: I can only tell you about the Grace I met when I thought I didn't have much time left. The, erm . . . the Grace that showed me life had more to offer. And . . . and I know that if she was here now she would tell us not to be so sad.

He tries to smile. RYAN’s face is blank.

GRAHAM: You see, I can hear her saying to me, "Graham . . . we had three glorious years. What are you complaining about?"

YASMIN watches respectfully, not having known GRACE long enough to grieve. The DOCTOR is standing and watching stoically from the back.

GRAHAM: I'm complaining because I wanted more. You see, Grace was a better person than I could ever be. And . . . I should have gone. And Grace should still be here.

He tries to smile and nods gently to himself. RYAN just stares and looks down.

EXT. RYAN’S HOUSE, DAY

The DOCTOR, wearing the coat again, YASMIN, GRAHAM, and RYAN stand on the brick steps outside RYAN’s house.

DOCTOR: What did you mean in your speech, you thought you'd "run out of time?"

GRAHAM: (Hesitates to answer.) Oh, well, I, erm . . . I had cancer, and, er . . . . Well, strictly speaking, I'm . . . still in remission. Three years gone. And, er . . . Grace was my chemo nurse, that's where we met . . . and fell in love. So, by rights, I . . . I shouldn't even be here.

They sit in silence for a moment.

YASMIN: (to the DOCTOR) Have you got family?

DOCTOR: (Pauses before responding.) No. Lost them a long time ago.

RYAN: How do you cope with that?

DOCTOR: I carry them with me. What they would have thought, and said, and done. Make them a part of who I am.

GRAHAM nods silently.

DOCTOR: So even though they're gone from the world, they're never gone from me.

GRAHAM: (Smiles.) That's the sort of thing Grace would have said.

RYAN looks down.

YASMIN: So everything we saw, everything we've lied to people about . . . is this normal for you?

DOCTOR: I'm just a traveller. (Smiles.) Sometimes I see things need fixing, and do what I can. Except, right now, I'm a traveller without a ship. I’ve stayed too long. I should get back to finding my TARDIS.

She turns to leave.

YASMIN: Doctor! Can I just say . . . you really need to get out of those clothes.

The DOCTOR looks down at her b*rned and ragged suit meant for a man much taller than her. GRAHAM smiles and RYAN laughs.

DOCTOR: Right, yeah.

She looks uncertain and looks up at them for help.

DOCTOR: It's been a long time since I bought women's clothes.

INT. SHOP, DAY

A huge mess has piled up outside the dressing room. The DOCTOR throws more clothes out.

DOCTOR: Er, not that. Not that.

RYAN is on his phone and YASMIN holds another pile of clothes.

DOCTOR: Pfft! Not that! (Growls.) Not that. (Gasps.) Yes! Now that's what I want!

The DOCTOR flings open the curtains with a satisfied sigh, arms spread wide. She has her blue capris, yellow suspenders, a black shirt with a multi-colored stripe across the center, a long, pale blue, hooded coat with dark blue inside, and big brown boots.

YASMIN: (incredulous) That's what you're going with?

RYAN nods slightly, approving. The DOCTOR grins widely.

DOCTOR: Yup. (Sticks her hands in her coat pockets.) Got any cash? Empty pockets.

RYAN and YASMIN look at each other. RYAN nods toward the DOCTOR, telling YASMIN to pay for the clothes.

DOCTOR: Also, I've been thinking about my TARDIS.

With a closeup instead of the wide sh*t, we see the DOCTOR has a basic round earring and a piercing on top of her left ear.

DOCTOR: Do you think you guys might be able to help me?

INT. INDUSTRIAL UNIT, DAY

In the daytime, properly lit, the place is even more of a disaster area, items, tools, machines, and contraptions cluttering shelves and littering the floor. Metal clanks and clatters. A desk is full of mechanisms, contraptions, wires, and circuit boards. YASMIN, GRAHAM, and RYAN stand at a distance, GRAHAM and YASMIN holding different contraptions. The DOCTOR stands up with a cable and blows on it before plugging it in. She turns a wheel, which squeaks.

GRAHAM: How long have we gotta stand here for? I'm getting cramp.

DOCTOR: Seriously, Graham! Trying to concentrate here.

RYAN: (to GRAHAM) Do you understand what she's doing?

GRAHAM shakes his head and RYAN sighs.

DOCTOR: (Typing.) My ship uses a particular type of energy. I've tracked that energy trail from the moment I lost it to where it is now.

She raises a finger and walks to the remains of the pod. She whirrs the sonic screwdriver at it.

DOCTOR: Now, given this is a transport pod I'm configuring it to send me to the planet where my ship seems to have ended up.

She looks at the readings and stands, stowing the sonic screwdriver in her coat pocket.

YASMIN: You're going to another planet?

The DOCTOR jumps back to the setup on the desk and pushes some buttons.

DOCTOR: Well, I'm trying to, except Stenza technology is really annoying and super hard to decipher. (Faces them and points at the device.) Hundred and thirty-nine layers, seven of which don't make sense. (Pushes a few more buttons before turning back to the group.) Right. Graham.

She bends down to the remains of the pod.

GRAHAM: Yeah?

DOCTOR: Clamp those onto there.

She hands him two jumper cables. He struggles to take them, still holding a boxy contraption.

GRAHAM: All right.

DOCTOR: (Points.) Yaz, throw the cable onto the top.

YASMIN clamps a cable to a grill.

DOCTOR: Ryan, you turn on the switch.

RYAN: All right.

The DOCTOR takes a step back and a deep breath. GRAHAM has the cables connected to his box.

DOCTOR: Okay, you three. I'm almost gonna miss you.

YASMIN smiles, trying to enjoy her last moment with the DOCTOR. The DOCTOR looks as the contraption beeps.

DOCTOR: That's it. It's connected up. This should work.

She remembers a last minute adjustment and turns a dial on a microwave. She turns back to the group as a whirr rises in volume and pitch.

DOCTOR: Moment of truth, then. Wish me luck. (Pulls out the sonic screwdriver with a sigh.) And goodbye.

RYAN and YASMIN wave a little. The DOCTOR sighs and closes her eyes.

DOCTOR: Oh, deep breath.

RYAN takes a deep breath.

DOCTOR: Not you lot, me.

She takes a deep breath and holds it, then points the sonic screwdriver and it whirrs. She squeezes her eyes shut and turns away, groaning with anticipation. GRAHAM also grimaces a little. The whirring still grows almost to a screech. The dial of the microwave has almost reached zero. The cables connected to GRAHAM’s box glow blue with electricity, as does the sonic screwdriver. The DOCTOR warps into a point and vanishes. But so have RYAN, GRAHAM, and YASMIN. GRAHAM’s box falls to the floor and the microwave dings in an empty room.

EXT. SPACE

A gorgeous inky blackness, swirled with the deepest blues, dotted with sparkles of white. With an electric zapping noise, the DOCTOR appears, her hair and hood floating weightlessly around her head. She slowly opens her eyes and a look of horror comes over her face as she realizes where she is. Still holding the sonic screwdriver aloft, she looks at RYAN, GRAHAM, and YASMIN, floating helplessly. GRAHAM’s face fills with horror and RYAN grabs at his throat. The DOCTOR looks out at the empty, endless void.

`
Dialogue by

Unknown

Formatting and action by

KITTY MIDNIGHT