03x03 - Gridlock

Episode transcripts for the 2005 TV show "Doctor Who". (Ninth to Twelfth Doctor)*

Moderator: Kitty Midnight

Time and Space traveling adventures of a Gallifreyan Time Lord only known as "the Doctor" and his companions.

Watch/Buy Amazon  Merchandise  Collectibles

Classic Who   Specials  

03x03 - Gridlock

Post by bunniefuu »

A screen buzzes into life, and a charming blonde news anchor smiles out of it.

SALLY CALYPSO: Salutations! This is Sally Calypso with the traffic news at 10:15. We've got reports of a multiple stackpile at Junction 509, with a spate of carjackings reported on New Fifth Avenue. So you take care now! Drive safely.

Zooming out, we see a middle-aged couple, bouncing around in what is apparently some kind of vehicle. These are Ma and Pa, the currently frantic-looking parents of an as-yet-unseen character.

MA: They're gonna get in. There's no stopping them.

PA: The police are on their way, I promise. I've sounded the alarm.

He holds a small remote what looks to be a vocal transmitter.

PA (speaking into transmitter): Repeat. This is Car One Zero Hot Five. We have a problem. Require urgent assistance.

ELECTRONIC VOICE (over transmission): Thank you for your call. You have been placed on hold.

MA: It's all your fault. You lied to the computer. You said there were three of us. You told them three!

She begins to sob as the car crashes back and forth.

PA: Repeat! Urgent assistance! Car One Zero Hot Five! This is an emergency! Help us! Oh my God, I'm begging you. Please, help us!

Both Ma and Pa scream as the car continues to buck and roll. A terrible growling roar is heard, warning lights sound, sparks fly into the compartment, and the last thing we see is a single hand sliding off the face of the screen where the news report is still blaring.

SALLY CALYPSO: The weather is at 36 degrees, and it's blue skies all the way home. This is Sally Calypso, signing off. Missing you already!

OPENING CREDITS

In the TARDIS, Martha sits demurely while the Doctor flips a few levers. He's in a good mood.

THE DOCTOR: Just one trip. 'S'what I said. One trip, in the TARDIS, and then home. Although, I suppose we could, stretch the definition. Try one trip to the past, one trip to the future. How do you fancy that?

MARTHA (thrilled): No complaints from me!

THE DOCTOR: How about a different planet?

MARTHA: Can we go to yours?

The Doctor's excitement ebbs almost immediately. He turns away from her.

THE DOCTOR: Ahh, there's plenty of other places!

MARTHA: Come on, though! I mean, Planet of the Time Lords, that's got to be worth a look! What's it like?

THE DOCTOR: Well, it's beautiful, yeah.

MARTHA: Is it like, you know, outer space cities, all spires and stuff?

THE DOCTOR: Suppose it is.

MARTHA: Great big temples and cathedrals!

He's so clearly avoiding this topic. Martha is oblivious, lost in cheerful imagination.

THE DOCTOR: Yeah.

MARTHA: Lots of planets in the sky?

THE DOCTOR: The sky's a burnt orange, with the Citadel enclosed in a mighty glass dome, shining under the twin suns. Beyond that, the mountains go on forever, slopes of deep red grass, capped with snow.

Martha is utterly enthralled.

MARTHA: Can we go there?

THE DOCTOR: Naah! Where's the fun for me? I don't want to go home! Instead...

He begins to dance around the main console, tweaking settings as he goes.

THE DOCTOR: This is much better. Year five billion and fifty-three, planet New Earth! Second hope of mankind! Fifty thousand light years from your old world, and we're slap bang in the middle of New New York. Although, technically it's the fifteenth New York from the original, so it's New New New New New New New New New New New New New New New York. One of the most dazzling cities ever built.

The Doctor throws on his overcoat, and leads her out of the TARDIS into a pouring rain shower. Martha scowls and hurriedly zips up her jacket.

MARTHA: Oh, that's nice! Time Lord version of dazzling.

THE DOCTOR: Nah, bit of rain never hurt anyone. Come on, let's get under cover!

A dark, musty room slides into view, a single robed cat (Novice Hame) sitting in its center. Thick wires are everywhere, leading from screens and consoles that have undoubtedly seen better days. In front of Novice Hame is the Face of Boe, still inside the protective t*nk where we last saw him.

THE FACE OF BOE: He has arrived.

NOVICE HAME: What should I do?

THE FACE OF BOE: Find him before it's too late.

Novice Hame bows her head in obeisance, and gets up to go. As she does, she pulls out a large g*n, arming it with a click and a flash of green light. It's still raining in the slummy portion of the city where Martha and the Doctor have ended up. They dash through a junk-ridden street, past what look like giant dumpsters and old laundry swinging from a line.

MARTHA: Well, it looks like the same old Earth to me. On a Wednesday afternoon.

THE DOCTOR: Hold on, hold on. Let's have a look.

He goes over to a dead screen on the wall, and we hear the sonic screwdriver buzzing. Once static appears, the Doctor bangs on the top of the screen himself, and Sally Calypso flickers into view. This is the same report we saw in Ma and Pa's car.

SALLY CALYPSO: ... and the driving should be clear and easy, with fifteen extra lanes open for the New New Jersey expressway.

The image on the screen shifts to reveal the New New York above ground, a gorgeous spired city on the coast of a large river, with sleek flying vehicles zooming in the air.

THE DOCTOR: Oh, that's more like it! That's the New we had last time. This must be the lower levels. Down in the base of the tower, some sort of under-city.

MARTHA (sounding irritated, but smiling in spite of herself): You've brought me to the slums?

THE DOCTOR: Much more interesting! It's all cocktails and glitter up there. This is the real city.

MARTHA (she can't help loving him): You'd enjoy anything.

THE DOCTOR: That's me. Oh, the rain's stopping! Better and better!

MARTHA: When you say "last time", was that you and Rose?

THE DOCTOR: Um, yeah. Yeah, it was, yeah.

MARTHA: You're taking me to the same planets that you took her?

THE DOCTOR: What's wrong with that?

MARTHA (this gets to her): Nothing. Just... ever heard the word "rebound"?

As she pushes past him, vexed, a man suddenly flips open the top of the large green boxes to reveal a street vendor's cart. Around the Doctor and Martha, many others do the same, appearing and shouting out their wares.

PHARMACIST 1: Oh! You should have said. How long you been there? Happy! You want Happy!

PHARMACIST 2: Customers! Customers! We've got customers!

PHARMACIST 3: We're in business! Mother, open up the Mellow, and the Read!

PHARMACIST 1: Happy, Happy, lovely happy Happy!

PHARMACIST 2: Anger! Buy some Anger!

PHARMACIST 3: Get some Mellow, makes you feel all bendy and soft all day long!

PHARMACIST 1: Younger, them. They'll rip you off. Do you want some happy?

THE DOCTOR (frowning): No, thanks.

MARTHA: Are they selling dr*gs?

THE DOCTOR: I think they're selling moods.

MARTHA: Same thing, isn't it?

Other, more bedragged-looking people walk into the alleyway behind the Doctor and Martha. These newcomers draw more cries from the pharmacists. A pale woman dressed in very dark clothes walks with intent toward the stalls.

PHARMACIST 3: Over here, sweetheart! That's it, come on, I'll get you first!

PHARMACIST 1: Oy! Oy, you! Over here! Over here! Buy some Happy!

PHARMACIST 3: Come over here, yeah. And what can I get you, my love?

PALE WOMAN: I want to buy Forget.

PHARMACIST 3: I've got Forget, my darling. What strength? How much you want forgetting?

PALE WOMAN: It's my mother and father. They went on the motorway.

PHARMACIST 3: Oh, that's so sweet.

She reaches behind her into the stall, pulls out a small circular token, and holds it out to the pale woman.

PHARMACIST 3: Try this. Forget Forty-three. That's two pence.

The pale woman pays the pharmacist and turns away, the token still in her hand. Before she can do anything with it, the Doctor stops her.

THE DOCTOR: Sorry, but, hold on a minute. What happened to your parents?

PALE WOMAN: They drove off.

THE DOCTOR: They might drive back.

PALE WOMAN: Everyone goes to the motorway in the end. I've lost them.

THE DOCTOR: But they can't have gone far. You could find them.

The pale woman just looks at him, then looks down with a sigh. She sticks the circular token to her neck.

THE DOCTOR: No, no, no, don't!

He is too late. Once the token has been applied, the pale woman's expression changes almost instantly. She seems docile, serene; a bit out of it, but blithely unaware of her surroundings.

PALE WOMAN: I'm sorry, what were you saying?

THE DOCTOR: Your parents. Your mother and father. They're on the motorway.

PALE WOMAN: Are they? That's nice.

Martha makes a disbelieving face, and looks to the Doctor. He is disturbed, but not surprised.

PALE WOMAN: I'm sorry. I won't keep you.

They watch her go with frowns on their faces, the Doctor pensive, Martha upset and a little scornful.

MARTHA: So that's the human race five billion years in the future. Off their heads on chemicals.

As she says this, two figures spring out from behind her, carrying g*ns and dressed in dark clothing. One man (Milo) grabs her from behind, throwing an arm around her neck and dragging her off, as his wife (Cheen) stands in front of them pointing her g*n at the Doctor. Martha screams and struggles, but they're quick, they retreat, taking Martha with them.

MILO: I'm sorry, I'm really, really sorry. We just need three, that's all.

THE DOCTOR (desperate, screaming): No, let her go! I'm warning you, let her go! Whatever you want, I can help. Both of us, we can help. But first you've got to let her go!

CHEEN: I'm sorry. I'm really sorry. Sorry.

Cheen repeats her apologies, almost crying, until the couple have disappeared with Martha in their clutches, slamming a large green door behind them. The Doctor bares his teeth in frustration and begins to wrestle with the door. Milo and Cheen push Martha down a shadowy corridor. The Doctor uses the sonic screwdriver and yanks the door open, running after the kidnappers. Milo, Cheen, and Martha emerge in daylight, running down a fire escape. Milo has Martha by the arm, and Cheen is at their rear, still holding out the g*n.

MARTHA: The Doctor is so gonna k*ll you, and never mind him, I'm gonna k*ll you myself! Let go of me!

She breaks free of Milo's grip, but he grabs her again, pulling her closer and looking to Cheen. They have stopped in front of a large black car.

MILO: Give her some Sleep.

MARTHA: Don't you dare! Don't put that stuff in me, don't! Get off me!

CHEEN: It's just Sleep Fourteen.

Cheen reaches into the vehicle behind her and pulls out another token, just like the one we saw the pale woman use, and makes to press it into Martha's neck. Martha is screaming and Cheen looks upset, but purposeful.

CHEEN: No, baby, don't fight it.

MARTHA: I'm telling you, don't!

With Milo holding her, however, Martha can't resist for long, and once the token touches her neck she falls into an instant sleep. A close-up sh*t reveals it to be a tiny circular disk, transparent, with the word "SLEEP" printed on it next to a small green crescent. The number "14" is printed in smaller text underneath that.

CHEEN: That's it. Come on. That's it.

MILO: Get on board.

They begin to load Martha into their car. The Doctor dashes through the corridor where Milo and Cheen just took Martha. Milo's hands flick on the switches inside the vehicle.

MILO: Engaging anti-gravs. Hold on.

Cheen, having laid Martha down on a long table, reaches to the top of the car for support. The car rises into the air and the engines power up, just as the Doctor rushes out onto the fire escape.

THE DOCTOR (yelling frantically): Martha!

The vehicle speeds off down a small alleyway and out of sight. Inside the vehicle, everything is suffused with a mechanical green light. Cheen feels Martha's cheek as she sleeps.

CHEEN: She's all right. She's breathing, pulse is fine, and no harm done. She looks rich. She must have got lost.

Cheen now seems cheerful. She pulls off her jacket and settles in beside Milo in the front.

MILO: Yeah, well, she's worth her weight in gold to us.

He pulls out a vocal transmitter, just like the one Pa had in the teaser.

MILO (speaking into transmitter): This is car four six five diamond six. We have three passengers, repeat three. Request access to the fast lane.

ELECTRONIC VOICE (over transmission): Access granted.

MILO: Oh, yes.

This is clearly like winning the lottery. They smile excitedly at each other and kiss. The Doctor, back in the alleyway where he and Martha met the pharmacists, pounds on the door of one of the now-closed stalls. It flips up quickly; behind it is Pharmacist 3. Seeing him, she grins broadly and leans toward him over the countertop.

PHARMACIST 3: Thought you'd come back! Do you want some happy Happy?

THE DOCTOR (mad as hell and not going to take it anymore): Those people, who were they? Where did they take her?

PHARMACIST 1 (emerging as well): They've taken her to the motorway.

PHARMACIST 3: Looked like carjackers to me.

PHARMACIST 2: I'd give up now, darling. You won't see her again.

PHARMACIST 1: Used to be thriving in this place. You couldn't move. But they all go to the motorway in the end.

The Doctor whirls, grilling them all at once.

THE DOCTOR: He kept on saying three, we need three. What did he mean, three?

PHARMACIST 3: It's the car-sharing policy, to save fuel. You get special access if you're carrying three adults.

THE DOCTOR: This motorway, how do I get there?

PHARMACIST 3: Straight down the alley, keep going to the end. You can't miss it.

The Doctor strides off in the direction she indicates, not losing a second.

PHARMACIST 3: Tell you what, how 'bout some happy Happy? Then you'll be smiling, my love!

At this, the Doctor turns back.

THE DOCTOR: Word of advice, all of you. Cash up. Close down. And pack your bags.

PHARMACIST 3: Why's that, then?

THE DOCTOR: Because as soon as I've found her, alive and well...and I will find her, alive and well, then I'm coming back. And this street is closing. Tonight!

The pharmacists glance at each other, apprehensive. A blue screen shows a small line with "4-6-5-diamond-6" above it, indicating the vehicle that is now carrying Martha. The line is moving from Level 17 (at the top of the screen) on downward, edging closer to Level 21 (at the bottom of the screen). Martha fuzzily comes to, seeing the odd green light above her. She looks around the car, seeing containers of pills and liquid next to her and hearing vague voices in the background. Milo and Cheen are silhouetted in Martha's vision as she regards the front of the vehicle.

CHEEN (at the edge of Martha's consciousness): Yeah. The view from the windows. You can see all the way out to the flatlands.

Martha reaches sleepily for the token at her neck and pulls it off, frowning. She throws it away.

CHEEN: The sky... They say the air smells like apple grass. Can you imagine?

MILO: The houses are made of wood. There are jobs going in the foundries. Everyone says so!

Martha thinks quickly. She sees a g*n sitting on a computer screen next to her head and snatches it, pointing it at her captors.

MARTHA: Take me back. Whoever you are, just take me back to my friend. That's all I want. I won't cause any trouble. Just take me back!

Milo and Cheen glance at each other.

CHEEN (to Martha): I'm sorry. That's not a real g*n.

MARTHA (thrown): Yeah, well, you would say that.

CHEEN: Where do you get a g*n from, these days? I wouldn't even know how to fire.

Martha looks disgustedly at the fake firearm in her hand, lowering it slowly.

MARTHA: No, nor me. Okay.

CHEEN (trying to be friendly now): What's your name?

MARTHA: Martha. Martha Jones.

Martha gets up now and comes gingerly toward the front of the car to stand behind them.

CHEEN: Well, I'm Cheen, and this is Milo. And I swear we're sorry. We're really, really sorry. We just needed access to the fast line, but I promise, as soon as we arrive, we'll drop you off and you can go back and find your friend.

MARTHA: Seriously?

CHEEN: I swear! Look.

She pulls back her hair to reveal a token on her neck. It's the same as the one Martha had on earlier, but this one has the word "HONESTY" printed on it, with the number "36."

CHEEN: Honesty patch.

MARTHA: All the same, that's still kidnapping! Where are we, anyway?

MILO: We're on the motorway.

MARTHA: What's that, then? Fog?

CHEEN: That's the exhaust fumes.

MILO: We're going out to Brooklyn. Everyone says the air's so much cleaner, and we couldn't stay in Pharmacy Town, 'cause...

Milo rubs Cheen's knee, and she grins up at Martha.

CHEEN (glowing): Well, 'cause of me. I'm pregnant. We only discovered it last week. Scan says it's going to be a boy.

Milo makes a mock victory gesture; he's as thrilled as Cheen.

MARTHA: Great. What do I do now, congratulate my kidnappers?

CHEEN: Oh, we're not kidnappers. Not really.

MARTHA: Nope. You're idiots! You're having a baby, and you're wearing that?

Her medical instinct kicking in, Martha rips the honesty patch from Cheen's neck. Cheen gives a small yelp of pain.

MARTHA: Not anymore.

MILO: This'll be as fast as we can. We'll take the motorway to the Brooklyn flyover, and then after that it's gonna take awhile, 'cause then there's no fast lane, just ordinary roads, but at least it's direct.

CHEEN: It's only ten miles.

MARTHA: How long is it gonna take?

CHEEN: About six years.

MARTHA (you have got to be kidding me): What?

CHEEN: Be just in time for him to start school.

Milo and Cheen giggle, fresh new parents all over.

MARTHA: Nope. Sorry. Hold on. Six years? Ten miles in six years? How come?

In a dilapidated corridor, near an old sign reading "MOTORWAY ACCESS," the sonic screwdriver buzzes in the dim light. The Doctor is forcing open a large door; the lock opens with a loud clang and he steps through onto a platform. He coughs, now in an atmosphere of heavy smoke, and we pull out to reveal that the smoke is the exhaust of several thousand cars, all hovering in the air in the most terrible traffic jam in the universe. Right in front of the Doctor, the door to one of the floating vehicles opens, and Brannigan, a large figure covered in protective gear, leans out.

BRANNIGAN: Hey! You daft little street strut! What are you doing, standing there? Either get out or get in! Come on!

Coughing fit to burst, the Doctor jumps through the open door into the car.

BRANNIGAN: Did you ever see the like?

Valerie, a dark-haired woman in the car, hands the Doctor an oxygen mask, and he takes it gratefully.

VALERIE: Here you go.

BRANNIGAN: Just standing there, breathing it in!

He pulls off his goggles, cap, and scarf. He's a cat, just like Novice Hame.

BRANNIGAN: There's this story says back in the old days, on Junction Forty-Seven, this woman stood in the exhaust fumes for a solid twenty minutes. By the time they found her, her head had swollen to fifty feet!

VALERIE: Oh, you're making it up.

Brannigan now heads to the front of the car, getting in the driver's seat.

BRANNIGAN: A fifty-foot head! Just think of it. Imagine picking that nose.

VALERIE: Stop it. That's disgusting.

BRANNIGAN: What? Did you never pick your nose?

All joking forgotten, Valerie suddenly sits up straight and taps Brannigan on the arm.

VALERIE: Bran, we're moving!

BRANNIGAN: Right. I'm there. I'm on it.

He pulls a lever on the console, and the engines in the back of the car spew out smoke. As they go forward, the other cars move into place around them; horns beep in every corner. They don't go far, though, and after a couple of seconds Brannigan draws the lever back.

BRANNIGAN: Twenty yards! We're having a good day.

Valerie smiles, and both of them now turn back to regard the Doctor, who is standing behind them and pulling off his oxygen mask.

BRANNIGAN: And who might you be, sir? Very well-dressed for a hitchhiker.

THE DOCTOR: Thanks. Sorry, I'm the Doctor.

BRANNIGAN: Medical man! Ha-ha! My name's Thomas Kincade Brannigan, and this is the bane of my life, the lovely Valerie.

VALERIE: Nice to meet you.

BRANNIGAN (gesturing): And that's the rest of the family behind you.

The Doctor turns and draws a curtain behind him, revealing a basket of adorable mewling kittens.

THE DOCTOR: Aww, that's nice. Hello.

He reaches gently out to them as the parents of the kittens share a glance, and the Doctor turns back to Brannigan and Valerie, now with a tiny black cat in his hands.

THE DOCTOR: How old are they?

VALERIE: Just two months.

BRANNIGAN: Poor little souls. They've never known the ground beneath their paws. (Off the Doctor's puzzled look). Children of the motorway.

THE DOCTOR: What, they were born in here?

VALERIE: We couldn't stop. We heard there were jobs going, out in the laundries on Fire Island. Thought we'd take a chance.

THE DOCTOR: What? You've been driving for two months?

BRANNIGAN: Do I look like a teenager? We've been driving for twelve years now.

THE DOCTOR: I'm sorry?

BRANNIGAN: Yeah! Started out as newlyweds! Feels like yesterday.

VALERIE: Feels like twelve years to me.

BRANNIGAN: Ahh, sweetheart, but you're still lovely.

He tickles her, and she giggles, their troubles forgotten.

THE DOCTOR: Twelve years?! How far did you come? Where did you start?

BRANNIGAN: Battery Park. It's five miles back.

THE DOCTOR (incredulous): You travelled five miles in twelve years?

BRANNIGAN: I think he's a bit slow.

The Doctor reaches behind him and puts the kitten back with its fellows.

VALERIE: Where are you from?

THE DOCTOR: Never mind that, I've got to get out. My friend's in one of these cars. She was taken hostage. I should get back to the TARDIS.

He pulls open the door next to him, but emerges into nothing but a cloud of smoke.

BRANNIGAN: You're too late for that. We've passed the lay-by.

The Doctor coughs and closes the door again.

BRANNIGAN: You're a passenger now, Sonny Jim!

THE DOCTOR (urgent): When's the next lay-by?

BRANNIGAN (considering): Oh... six months?

The Doctor is not amused. Thousands and thousands of idential boxy vehicles float in the air, headlights on, horns blaring, very few of them moving, very little happening. From her vehicle, Martha watches the traffic jam through a window.

MARTHA: How many cars are out there?

CHEEN: I don't think anyone knows.

Behind Martha, Cheen reaches for something and holds it out.

CHEEN: Here you go. Hungry?

MARTHA : Oh, thanks.

She pulls away from the window and stands behind the couple again, munching on a large round wafer.

MARTHA: About how far down is it to this fast lane?

MILO: Oh, it's right at the bottom, underneath the traffic jam. But not many people can afford three passengers, so it's empty down there. Rumor has it you can reach up to thirty miles per hour.

MARTHA (deliciously sarcastic): Wow. That's, like, crazy.

Milo and Cheen laugh, amused by their new companion. Martha looks around the car curiously.

MARTHA: But how are you supposed to live inside this thing? It's tiny.

CHEEN: Oh, we stocked up. Got self-replicating fuel, muscle stimulants for exercise, and there's a chemical toilet at the back. And all waste products are recycled as food.

Martha stops eating at once and eyes her wafer like it's a deadly enemy.

MARTHA: Oh-kay.

She drops the wafer as fast as she possibly can.

MILO: Oh, another gap, this is brilliant!

ELECTRONIC VOICE: Car sign in.

MILO (speaking into transmitter): Car Four Six Five Diamond Six, on descent to fast lane, thank you very much.

ELECTRONIC VOICE: Please drive safely.

The sonic screwdriver shines and buzzes in front of a screen with the insignia of the New New York Police Department. The Doctor is reflected in the screen, holding a vocal transmitter.

THE DOCTOR (into transmitter): I need to talk to the police.

ELECTRONIC VOICE: Thank you for your call. You have been placed on hold.

As these words are spoken, they also appear typed on the screen: Thank you for your call. You have been placed on hold...

THE DOCTOR: But you're the police!

The Doctor scrambles up to the front of the car where Brannigan and Valerie are still sitting.

THE DOCTOR: Is there anyone else? I once met the Duke of Manhattan; is there any way of getting through to him?

BRANNIGAN: Oh, now, ain't you lordly?

THE DOCTOR: I've got to find my friend.

VALERIE: You can't make outside calls. The motorway's completely enclosed.

THE DOCTOR: What about the other cars?

BRANNIGAN: Oh, we've got contact with them, yeah. Well, some of them, anyway. They've got to be on your friends list. Now, let's see, who's nearby? Ahh! The Cassini sisters!

He holds up his transmitter.

BRANNIGAN (into transmitter): Still your hearts, my handsome girls. It's Brannigan here.

We cut to their car, where two white-haired women are sitting, surrounded by handsome needlework, comfortable chairs, and sewing tools. Alice sits in the driver's seat with the transmitter, while May knits behind her in a chair.

ALICE (smiling slightly): Get off the line, Brannigan. You're a pest and a menace.

BRANNIGAN: Oh, come on, now, sisters. Is that any way to talk to an old friend?

ALICE: You know full well we're not sisters. We're married.

BRANNIGAN: Oooh, stop that modern talk! I'm an old-fashioned cat. Now, I've got a hitchhiker here, calls himself the Doctor.

He hands the transmitter over to the Doctor, who grabs it.

THE DOCTOR (into transmitter): Hello. Sorry. I'm looking for someone called Martha Jones. She's been carjacked. She's inside one of these vehicles, but I don't know which one.

MAY (into her own transmitter): Wait a minute.

She opens a large notebook, it looks like a register.

MAY: Could I ask, what entrance did they use?

THE DOCTOR: Where were we?

BRANNIGAN: Pharmacy Town.

THE DOCTOR: Pharmacy Town, about twenty minutes ago.

MAY: Let's have a look.

ALICE (muttering): Just my luck, to marry a car-spotter.

MAY: In the last half hour, fifty-three new cars joined from the Pharmacy Town junction.

THE DOCTOR: Anything more specific?

MAY: All in good time. Was she car-jacked by two people?

THE DOCTOR: Yes, she was, yeah.

MAY: There we are. Just one of those cars was destined for the fast lane. That means they had three on board. And car number is four six five diamond six.

THE DOCTOR: That's it! So how do we find them?

MAY: Ah. Now, there I'm afraid I can't help.

THE DOCTOR (to Brannigan): Call them on this thing. We've got their number. Diamond six.

BRANNIGAN: Not if they're designated fast lane. It's a different class.

MAY: You could try the police.

THE DOCTOR: They put me on hold.

ALICE: You'll have to keep trying. There's no one else.

THE DOCTOR: Thank you.

He hands Brannigan back the transmitter. Amongst the beeping, honking, and smoke, Martha's car slowly descends through the massive lines of cars. Inside, the blue screen again shows the line representing Car Four Six Five Diamond Six, and it is now moving from Level 39 to Level 43. Milo's hand points at it.

MILO (to Martha): See? Another ten layers to go. We're scorching.

Martha smiles. As she does, a low noise sounds; it's like a mix between a creak and a growl.

MARTHA: What's that?

The sound comes again.

MARTHA: It's coming from underneath.

CHEEN: It does have noise, doesn't it? It's like Kate said. The stories are true.

MARTHA: What stories?

MILO (exasperated): It's the sound of the air vents. That's all. The exhaust fumes travel down, so at the base of the tunnel they've got air vents.

CHEEN: No, the stories are much better.

Milo chuckles, a little derisively, a little fondly, and looks away.

CHEEN: They say people go missing on the motorway. Some cars just vanish, never to be seen again. 'Cause there's something living down there, in the smoke. Something huge. And hungry. And if you get lost on the road... it's waiting for you.

As the rumbling noise gets louder and louder, they all stare at each other nervously. Milo shifts in his seat.

MILO: But like I said. Air vents.

He presses buttons on the console.

MILO: Going down to the next layer.

MARTHA: Except look out there. Does it look like the air vents are working?

CHEEN: No.

The sound keeps getting louder. Now there's growling and crashing.

MARTHA (whispering): So what's that, then?

Milo doesn't have an answer for her. He shakes his head.

MILO: Nah. Kid stuff.

He holds up his transmitter.

MILO (into transmitter): Car Four Six Five Diamond Six, on descent.

THE DOCTOR: We've got to go to the fast lane. Take me down.

BRANNIGAN: Not a million years.

THE DOCTOR: You've got three passengers!

BRANNIGAN: I'm still not going.

THE DOCTOR: She's alone, and she's lost. She doesn't belong on this planet, and it's all my fault. I'm asking you, Brannigan, take me down.

VALERIE: That's a no. And that's final. I'm not risking the children down there.

THE DOCTOR: Why not? What's the risk? What happens down there?

VALERIE: We're not discussing it! The conversation is closed!

THE DOCTOR: So we keep on driving.

BRANNIGAN: Yes, we do.

THE DOCTOR: For how long?

BRANNIGAN: 'Till the journey's end.

The Doctor reaches over him to snatch the vocal transmitter.

THE DOCTOR: Mrs. Cassini, this is the Doctor. Tell me, how long have you been driving on the motorway?

ALICE: Oh, we were amongst the first. It's been twenty-three years now.

THE DOCTOR: And in all that time, have you ever seen a police car?

Valerie and Brannigan look at him, disquieted that he's bringing this to light. In their car, Alice and May, too, look decidedly uncomfortable.

MAY: I'm not sure.

THE DOCTOR: Look at your notes. Any police?

MAY (upset): Not as such.

THE DOCTOR: Or an ambulance? Rescue service? Anything official? Ever ?

MAY: I can't keep a note of everything.

THE DOCTOR: What if there's no one out there?

Brannigan reaches up and angrily takes the transmitter away from the Doctor.

BRANNIGAN: Stop it. The Cassinis were doing you a favor.

THE DOCTOR: Someone's got to ask. 'Cause you might not talk about it, but it's there. In your eyes.

It is absolutely in Brannigan's eyes right now.

THE DOCTOR: What if the traffic jam never stops?

BRANNIGAN: There's a whole city above us. The mighty city-state of New New York. They wouldn't just leave us.

THE DOCTOR: In that case, where are they? Hmm? What if there's no help coming, not ever? What if there's nothing? Just the motorway, with the cars going round and round and round, never stopping? Forever?

VALERIE: Shut up! Just shut up!

The screen at the front of the car blares into life. It's the news starting up, just like at the beginning of the episode.

SALLY CALYPSO: This is Sally Calypso, and it's that time again. The sun is blazing high in the sky over the New Atlantic, the perfect setting for the daily contemplation.

BRANNIGAN: You think you know us so well, Doctor. But we're not abandoned. Not while we have each other.

Valerie smiles a bit at this.

SALLY CALYPSO: This is for all of you out there on the roads. We're so sorry. Drive safe.

Close-ups on Valerie and Brannigan as they start to sing, and on the Doctor as he watches them. In Martha's car, Milo and Cheen are also singing: # On a hill, far away / Stood an old, rugged cross / The emblem of suffering and shame-And I love that old cross / Where the dearest and best / For a world of lost sinners was slain / So I'll cherish the old, rugged cross, rugged cross / Till my trophies at last I lay down, I lay down / I will cling to the old, rugged cross, rugged cross / And exchange it some day for a crown.#. By the end of the hymn, Valerie and Martha have both got tears in their eyes.

ELECTRONIC VOICE: Fast lane access, please drive safely.

MILO: We made it. The fast lane.

Cheen grins, breathless, as their car scoots out of the long lines of traffic and descends into empty smoke.

THE DOCTOR: If you won't take me, I'll go down on my own.

He scrambles to the middle of the car, pulling out the sonic screwdriver and inspecting the floor. Brannigan and Valerie turn, shocked.

BRANNIGAN: What do you think you're doing?

THE DOCTOR: Finding my own way. I usually do.

ELECTRONIC VOICE: Capsule open.

Valerie and Brannigan look on in horror as a door in the floor of the car opens, revealing the hundreds of cars below them. One pulls up right underneath the opening, and the Doctor prepares to jump down.

THE DOCTOR: Here we go.

He takes off his overcoat and throws it to them. Valerie catches it.

THE DOCTOR: Look after this. I love that coat. Janis Joplin gave me that coat.

VALERIE: But you can't jump!

THE DOCTOR: If it's any consolation, Valerie, right now, I'm having kittens.

BRANNIGAN: This Martha, she must mean an awful lot to you.

THE DOCTOR: Hardly know her. I was too busy showing off. And I lied to her. Couldn't help it, just lied.

He looks up.

THE DOCTOR: Bye then!

He jumps down, landing on top of the next car and coughing from the fumes.

VALERIE: He's completely insane!

BRANNIGAN: That, and a bit magnificent!

The Doctor draws the sonic screwdriver across the top of the car he's just landed on, opening its top door. He drops into the car, finding a man dressed all in white and looking very pale.

WHITEY: Who the hell are you?

THE DOCTOR: Sorry, Motorway Foot Patrol. I'm doing a survey. How are you enjoying your motorway?

He turns to the floor, opening the bottom door.

WHITEY: Well, not very much. Junction Five's been closed for three years!

THE DOCTOR: Thank you. Your comments have been noted. Have a nice day!

He leaps through the bottom of that car, continuing down into the next one. He's still coughing, the fumes are intense.

The sonic screwdriver is quickly opening the bottom door of this car. The Doctor looks up at two very startled Asian girls in the front.

THE DOCTOR: Thank you for your cooperation. Your comments have been noted.

He picks up a blue handkerchief and starts to tie it over his mouth to stop him coughing.

THE DOCTOR: Do you mind if I borrow this? Not my colour, but thank you very much.

Down again, this car has two very naked drivers, who look at him in utter shock.

THE DOCTOR: Oh! Don't mind me.

Into the next one, which is lit all in red, with a very large man in the front.

The Doctor salutes him and jumps through this car as well. In Martha's car, all three passengers are looking dejectedly at the screen. A sidebar reads, "BROOKLYN JUNCTION," and below it three choices reading "EXIT 1," "EXIT 2," and "EXIT 3."

CHEEN: Try again.

Milo taps "EXIT 1." At the bottom of the screen, a large red message beeps "JUNCTION CLOSED."

ELECTRONIC VOICE: Brooklyn Turnoff One closed.

CHEEN: Try the next one.

ELECTRONIC VOICE: Brooklyn Turnoff Two closed.

Cheen lets out an anguished moan.

CHEEN: What do we do?

MILO: We'll keep going round. We'll do the whole loop. By the time we come back round, they'll be open.

The rumbling noise sounds again, and they all look around in panic.

MARTHA: You're still calling that air vents?

MILO: What else could it be?

From the looks on their faces, it's clear that none of them really want to know. Again, the noise.

CHEEN: What the hell is that?

MILO: It's just, the hydraulics.

MARTHA: Sounds like it's... alive.

MILO: It's all exhaust fumes out there. Nothing could breathe in that.

ELECTRONIC VOICE: Calling Car Four Six Five Diamond Six. Repeat, calling Car Four Six Five Diamond Six.

MILO (into transmitter): This is Car Four Six Five Diamond Six. Who's that? Where are you?
Cut to the inside of the car that's calling them: its passengers are Javit, a black cat dressed in leather, and two frightened-looking blonde girls. Their car is jerking around painfully.

JAVIT (into transmitter): I'm in the fast lane, about fifty yards behind. Can you get back up? Can you get off the fast lane?

MILO: We only have permission to go down. We... we need the Brooklyn Flyover.

JAVIT: It's closed. Go back up.

MILO: We can't. We'll just go round.

JAVIT: Don't you understand? They're closed. They're always closed.

Cheen claps her hands over her mouth, in more distress than ever. She's letting out frightened gasps.

JAVIT: We're stuck down here. And there's something else. Out there, in the fog. Can't you hear it?

There is a definite shrill roar sounding outside now.

MILO: That's the air vents.

JAVIT: Jehovah! What are you, some stupid kid? Get out of here!

The car holding the cat and the girls crashes even more painfully;the girls scream as bits of the car begin to fall off. They all smash into each other. The roar sounds again.

MILO: What was that?

The girls scream, still bumping everywhere.

JAVIT: I can't move! They've got us!

MILO: But what's happening?

Martha grabs the transmitter.

MARTHA (into transmitter): What's got you? What is it?

The cat yells something unintelligible. The car is beginning to collapse; sparks are flying everywhere; the cat and the girls are screaming as they are torn apart.

MILO: Hello?

JAVIT: Just drive, you idiots! Get out of here! Get out!

MILO: Can you hear me?! Hello?!

MARTHA: Just drive! Do what she said, get us out of here!

MILO: But where?

MARTHA: Just straight ahead! And fast!

CHEEN (sobbing): What is it? What's out there? What is it?

A businessman in pinstripes leans against his steering wheel, staring out at the gridlock.

Behind him, the Doctor jumps down. The businessman whirls to face him.

BUSINESSMAN: 'Scuse me, is that legal?

THE DOCTOR: Sorry, Motorway Foot Patrol.

He's coughing too hard to finish his spiel.

THE DOCTOR: Whatever. Have you got any water?

BUSINESSMAN: Certainly. Never let it be said I've lost my manners.

He reaches over to a water cooler, filling a cone-shaped clear plastic cup and handing it to the Doctor. The Doctor drains it immediately.

THE DOCTOR: Is this the last layer?

BUSINESSMAN: Ah, we're right at the bottom. Nothing below us but the fast lane.

THE DOCTOR: Can we drive down?

BUSINESSMAN: There's only two of us. You need three to go down.

THE DOCTOR: Couldn't we just cheat?

BUSINESSMAN: Well, I'd love to, but it's an automated system. The wheel would lock.

THE DOCTOR: If you'll excuse me.

The Doctor runs over to the door in the bottom of the car, using his sonic screwdriver to flip it open.

BUSINESSMAN: You can't jump. It's a thousand feet down!

THE DOCTOR: No, I just want to look.

He stares out into a thick, murky fog, dotted with tiny lights. Faintly, from the distance, comes the same screeching roar that Martha heard.

THE DOCTOR: What's that noise?

BUSINESSMAN: I try not to think about it.

THE DOCTOR: What are those lights? What's down there?

He coughs again, waving a hand in front of his face to sweep away the smoke.

THE DOCTOR: I just need to see.

He runs up to the screen in the front of the car and points the sonic screwdriver at the display. He's getting manic now, thinking of ideas.

THE DOCTOR: There must be some sort of ventilation. If I could just transmit a pulse through this thing, maybe I could trip the system, give us a bit of a breeze.

Back in Valerie's and Brannigan's car, the two sit blankly. All of a sudden, a loud creak sounds, and sparks begin to fly from the ceiling.

BRANNIGAN: Just what we need, pirates!

VALERIE: I'm calling the police!

The door at the top of their car falls down, and out pokes the face of Novice Hame, holding her green g*n.

NOVICE HAME: The Doctor. Where is he?!

In the businessman's car, the Doctor is playing with the wiring of the front console, helped by the sonic screwdriver. One of the wires snaps in his fingers.

THE DOCTOR: That's it! Might shift the fumes a bit, give us a good look.

The two stare out from the bottom of the car.

BUSINESSMAN: What are those shapes?

As they speak, huge snapping claws materialize in the fading smoke.

THE DOCTOR: They're alive.

BUSINESSMAN: What the hell are they?

"They" now appear to be extremely large crabs. The lights are their eyes.

THE DOCTOR (with deadly recognition): Macra.

Martha's car is jolting more than ever, and its passengers are panicked.

CHEEN: Go faster!

MILO: I'm at top speed!

The screen at the front of the car reads, "PROXIMITY WARNING."

ELECTRONIC VOICE: No access above.

MILO (into transmitter): But this is an emergency!

Their car is zooming through the sea of Macra, barely missing the giant and very active claws.

MARTHA: Turn everything off.

MILO: You've got to be joking.

MARTHA: No, listen, it's all fog out there, so how can they see us? Maybe it's the engines, the sound, or the heat, or the light, I don't know! Turn everything off. They might not be able to find us.

MILO: What if you're wrong?

MARTHA: It can't be worse than this! Just do it!

Milo goes for it, flicking switches at the top of the car and on the console. This seems to do the trick, the three sit, quietly, in an unmoving car, no longer jolting around, no longer screaming.

CHEEN: They've stopped.

MILO: Yeah, but they're still out there.

They all glance around nervously. Cheen decides not to deal with this, and looks instead to Martha.

CHEEN: How did you think of that?

MARTHA: I saw it on a film.

You get the feeling they'd laugh if they weren't all so scared.

MARTHA: They used to do it in submarines. Trouble is, I can't remember what they did next.

MILO: Well, you better think of something, because we've lost the aircon. If we don't switch the engines back on, we won't be able to breathe.

MARTHA: How long have we got?

MILO: Eight minutes, maximum.

Cheen is now crying softly.

THE DOCTOR: The Macra used to be the scourge of this galaxy. Gas. They fed off gas, the filthier the better. They built up a small empire using humans as slaves and mining gas for food.

BUSINESSMAN: They don't exactly look like empire-builders to me.

THE DOCTOR: Well, that was billions of years ago. Billions. They must've devolved down the years and now they're just beasts. But they're still hungry and my friend's down there.

A clank at the top of the businessman's car. Both of them look up.

BUSINESSMAN: Oh, it's like New Times Square in here, for goodness's sake!

Novice Hame's feet dangle down, and she drops into the vehicle with them.

THE DOCTOR: I've invented a sport!

NOVICE HAME: Doctor, you're a hard man to find.

The businessman points at Novice Hame's g*n, still in her hand.

BUSINESSMAN: No g*ns! I'm not having g*ns!

NOVICE HAME: I only brought this in case of pirates. Doctor, you've got to come with me.

THE DOCTOR: Do I know you?

NOVICE HAME: You haven't aged at all. Time has been less kind to me.

THE DOCTOR: Novice Hame!

He embraces her, grinning.

THE DOCTOR: No, hold on, get off. Last time we met, you were breeding humans for experimentation.

NOVICE HAME: I've sought forgiveness, Doctor, for so many years, under his guidance. And if you come with me, I might finally be able to redeem myself.

THE DOCTOR: I'm not going anywhere. You've got Macra living underneath this city. Macra! And if my friend's still alive, she's stuck down there!

NOVICE HAME: You've got to come with me right now!

THE DOCTOR: No, no, no, you're coming with me. We've got three passengers now.

NOVICE HAME: I'm sorry, Doctor. But the situation is even worse than you can imagine.

She takes his wrist, and presses a button on the green-lit metal wristband she's wearing.

NOVICE HAME: Transport.

THE DOCTOR: Don't you dare! Don't you dare!

But it's too late. As he screams, both of them vanish in a haze of white light as the businessman looks on in bewilderment. A large yet unkempt room, dusty, junk everywhere, with streams of sunlight flooding in irregularly. The Doctor and Novice Hame are picking themselves up off the floor.

THE DOCTOR: Oh! Rough teleport. Ow. But you can go straight back down and teleport people out, starting with Martha.

NOVICE HAME: I only had the power for one trip.

THE DOCTOR: Then get some more! Where are we?

NOVICE HAME: High above, in the over-city.

THE DOCTOR: Good! 'Cause you can tell the Senate of New New York I'd like a word. They've got thousands of people trapped on the motorway! Millions!

NOVICE HAME: But you're inside the Senate, right now. May the goddess Santori bless them.

They look up, and sure enough, there are long rows of seats in a vast chamber. All of them contain skeletons.

NOVICE HAME: They d*ed, Doctor. The city d*ed.

THE DOCTOR: How long's it been like this?

NOVICE HAME: Twenty-four years.

They walk towards a skeleton, lying on the ground, and the Doctor kneels next to it. His anger is forgotten, he is now profoundly disturbed.

THE DOCTOR: All of them? Everyone? What happened?

NOVICE HAME: A new chemical. A new mood. They called it Bliss.

She kneels next to him and reaches down, picking up a small circular token just like the ones the vendors were selling when the Doctor and Martha first arrived. This one, however, reads "BLISS."

NOVICE HAME: Everyone tried it. They couldn't stop. A virus mutated inside the compound and became airborne. Everything perished, even the virus, in the end. It k*lled the world in seven minutes flat. There was just enough time to close down the walkways and the flyovers, sealing off the under-city. Those people on the motorway aren't lost, Doctor. They were saved.

They're both standing now, struck by the urgency of the situation.

THE DOCTOR: So the whole thing down there is running on a*t*matic?

NOVICE: There's not enough power to get them out. We did all we could to stop the system from choking.

THE DOCTOR: Who's "we"? How did you survive?

NOVICE HAME (brightening): He protected me. And he has waited for you, these long years.

Not far off, a low, grumbling voice speaks.

THE FACE OF BOE: Doctor.

The Doctor turns and dashes over to the Face of Boe, kneeling in front of it as he did in the hospital where they last met. Novice Hame follows.

THE DOCTOR: The Face of Boe!

THE FACE OF BOE: I knew you would come.

NOVICE HAME: Back in the old days, I was made his nurse, as penance for my sins.

THE DOCTOR: Old friend, what happened to you?

THE FACE OF BOE: Failing.

NOVICE HAME: He protected me from the virus by shrouding me in his smoke. But with no one to maintain it, the City's power d*ed. The under-city would have fallen into the sea.

THE DOCTOR: So he saved them.

NOVICE HAME: The Face of Boe wired himself into the mainframe. He's giving his life force just to keep things running.

THE DOCTOR: But there are planets out there. You could have called for help.

NOVICE HAME: The last act of the Senate was to declare New Earth unsafe. The a*t*matic quarantine lasts for one hundred years.

The Doctor looks back at the Face of Boe, concerned, and then gets up.

THE DOCTOR: So the two of you stayed here, on your own, for all these years.

NOVICE HAME :We had no choice.

The Doctor reaches out to her, touches her shoulder.

THE DOCTOR: Yes, you did.

THE FACE OF BOE: Save them, Doctor. Save them.

Martha's car is still silent, still stationary; its occupants are now less panicked and more completely hopeless.

CHEEN: How much air's left?

MILO: Two minutes.

MARTHA: There's always the Doctor. That friend of mine. He might think of something.

MILO: Martha, no one's coming.

Martha looks like she might cry.

CHEEN: He looked kind of nice.

MARTHA (you're telling me): He's a bit more than that.

CHEEN: Are you and him...?

MARTHA: Sometimes I think he likes me, but sometimes I just think he needs someone with him.

Cheen shakes her head. Everything is quiet now.

CHEEN: I never even asked. Where's home?

MARTHA: It's a long way away. I didn't really think. I just followed the Doctor, and... they don't even know where I am. My mum and dad. If I d*ed here, they'd never know.

MILO: So, um, who is he, then? This Doctor?

MARTHA: I don't know. Well, not really. There's so much he never says.

CHEEN: But that means that... the only hope, right now is... a complete stranger.

They all look at each other. Cheen is horrified.

CHEEN: Well, that's no use!

MARTHA: It is, though, because you haven't seen the things he can do. Honestly, just trust me, both of you. You've got your faith, you've got your songs and your hymns. And I've got the Doctor.

This is Martha's resolve face.

MILO: Right.

He turns the car back on.

ELECTRONIC VOICE: Systems back on line.

The lights come on again, and Milo grips Cheen's hand briefly.

MILO: Good luck.

MARTHA: And you.

The crabs are alive and attacking once more, and Car Four Six Five Diamond Six ducks and dodges through them. The Doctor is staring into a screen, specs now on.

THE DOCTOR: Car Four Six Five Diamond Six, it still registers! That's Martha. I knew she was good. Novice Hame, hold that in place.

He jumps back from the screen and hands her a piece of thick tubing. Once she's got it, he runs along its length, jumping over a box of lights and buttons.

THE DOCTOR: Think, think, think. Take the residual energy, invert it, feed it through the electricity beds.

NOVICE HAME: There isn't enough power.

The Doctor reaches his destination: a far wall with two screens, lots of wiring, and even more buttons.

THE DOCTOR: Ah, you've got power! You've got me! I'm brilliant with computers, just you watch.

He turns around and points to her, yelling, getting more excited all the time.

THE DOCTOR: Hame, every switch on that bank, up to maximum!

Martha's car continues its perilous journey, spinning around. The Doctor is rotating a knob in a console on the floor, aiming the sonic screwdriver at it as well.

THE DOCTOR: I can't power up the city, but all the city needs is people.

He bangs his fist against the console and jumps up.

NOVICE HAME: So what are you going to do?

THE DOCTOR: This!

He flips a two-metre-long switch on the floor, and all the lights on the consoles go out.

THE DOCTOR: No, no no no no, no!

Endless claws scrape the screen of Martha's car. One finally catches them, and sparks fly into the cabin. Martha and Cheen scream; Milo's just trying to keep his bearings. Another claw knocks against them and the car flies out, free again, zooming through into more Macra. The Doctor, kneeling on the floor again, is waving his sonic screwdriver at another set of controls.

THE DOCTOR: The transformers are blocked. The signal can't get through.

THE FACE OF BOE: Doctor...

THE DOCTOR: Yeah, hold on, not now.

THE FACE OF BOE: I give you my last...

He lets out a long, rasping breath, and every console switches back on. Everything is working. Everything is powered. The Doctor leaps up again, suddenly illuminated.

THE DOCTOR: Hame, look after him! Don't you go dying on me, you big old face. You've got to see this.

He flicks the huge switch again. Novice Hame is busily turning a wheel next to the Face of Boe.

THE DOCTOR: The open road. Hah!

Valerie and Brannigan, still in their car, hear a loud cr*ck and bang.

BRANNIGAN: What in Jehovah was that?

VALERIE: It's coming from above!

BRANNIGAN: What is it? What's happening?!

Valerie hurriedly covers the mewling kittens. Alice and May can hear it too. They look up in fear.

ALICE: Hold on, May.

Whitey's more pale than ever as he gazes up, listening to the creaks and bangs. The businessman, frightened, is fidgeting at his steering wheel. Brannigan is gazing up out of his car.

BRANNIGAN: By all the cats in the kingdom!

A gap is forming at the top of the gridlock, above the lanes and lanes of cars, doors to the over-city are opening. Each crashing sound signifies another barrier falling away.

VALERIE: What is it?

It's sunlight, and it streams through, covering her face. Alice and May shield their eyes as the rays of sun enter their car as well. Whitey too holds a hand over his face. The businessman is almost unnerved by the sudden rush of light. The doors are almost all the way open now. There's a long pathway of light above the traffic.

VALERIE: What is it?

Brannigan begins to laugh like crazy. Whitey realises what's going on and is now giggling with joy as well.

BUSINESSMAN: Yes!

At last, all the doors are opened. The cars are no longer trapped.

VALERIE: It's the sun! Oh, Brannigan!

She reaches out to him, and then pulls the blanket off of her kittens.

VALERIE: Children, it's the sunlight!

Her white kitten purrs happily, flooded by sun. The Doctor's face buzzes into life on the screen at the front of the car.

THE DOCTOR (in monitor): Sorry, no Sally Calypso, she was just a hologram. My name's the Doctor.

BRANNIGAN: He's a magician.

THE DOCTOR: And this is an order. Everyone drive up. Right now.

BRANNIGAN: Is he serious?

Valerie is laughing in elated disbelief.

THE DOCTOR: I've opened the roof of the motorway. Come on. Throttle those engines. Drive up. All of you, the whole under-city. Drive up, drive up, drive up! Fast!

BRANNIGAN: Here we go.

THE DOCTOR: We've got to clear that fast lane. Drive up and get out of the way.

All of the cars soar up to the opening, heading for the open sunlight as fast as they can. The screen in Martha's car is getting the Doctor, too.

THE DOCTOR (in monitor): Oy! Car Four Six Five Diamond Six! Martha! Drive up!

MARTHA: That's the Doctor!

MILO: We can't go up! We'll hit the layer!

MARTHA: Just do as he says! Go up!

THE DOCTOR: You've got access above! Now go!

The car swings free of the last of the snapping claws and bursts up out of the fog, heading for the opening like everybody else. Cheen, Martha, and Milo gaze up, the sunlight hitting their faces. Martha is beside herself with joy.

CHEEN: It's daylight! Oh my God. That's the sky, the real sky!

MARTHA: He did it!

She screams with laughter, claps, and gives Cheen a hug.

MARTHA: I told you, he did it!

Milo and Cheen kiss. Alice and May embrace each other at the front of their car, staring up into the light. Valerie cuddles her kittens.

BRANNIGAN: Did I tell you, Doctor? You're not bad, sir. You're not bad at all!

Valerie and Brannigan laugh, and keep driving up.

BRANNIGAN: Oh, yee-hah!

The Doctor, holding a microphone, is watching the proceedings from a viewscreen in the Senate room. Novice Hame continues to twirl a wheel next to the Face of Boe.

THE DOCTOR: You keep driving, Brannigan, all the way up! 'Cause it's here, just waiting for you.

He dances over to a window to look out at the over-city.

THE DOCTOR: The city of New New York. And it's yours.

It's truly gorgeous, everywhere, cars are rising out of the under-city and flying around abandoned skyscrapers.

THE DOCTOR: And don't forget, I want that coat back.

BRANNIGAN (over transmitter): I reckon that's a fair bargain, sir.

THE DOCTOR: And Car Four Six Five Diamond Six, I've sent you a flight path. Come to the Senate.

MARTHA (over transmitter): On my way!

THE DOCTOR: It's been quite a while since I saw you, Martha Jones.

NOVICE HAME: Doctor!

Novice Hame leans desperately over the Face of Boe, as the case that encloses him begins to cr*ck. The Doctor looks to them, his face falling. Cars soar through the sky of New New York. It's a new new world. Martha leaps happily into the Senate room, but is a bit subdued by the skeleton lying on the floor in front of her.

MARTHA: Doctor?

THE DOCTOR: Over here.

MARTHA: Doctor!

Smiling again, she runs to him.

MARTHA: What happened out there?

She finds him kneeling, with Novice Hame, in front of the dying Face of Boe. She frowns.

MARTHA: What's that?

THE DOCTOR: It's the Face of Boe. It's all right. Come and say hello. And this is Hame. She's a cat. Don't worry.

Martha approaches the Face of Boe.

THE DOCTOR: He's the one that saved you, not me.

NOVICE HAME: My lord gave his life to save the city.

Martha kneels next to Novice Hame, reverent.

NOVICE HAME: And now he's dying.

THE DOCTOR: No, don't say that. Not old Boe. Plenty of life left.

THE FACE OF BOE: It's good to breathe the air once more.

MARTHA: Who is he?

THE DOCTOR: I don't even know. Legend says the Face of Boe has lived for billions of years. Isn't that right? And you're not about to give up now.

THE FACE OF BOE: Everything has its time. You know that, old friend, better than most.

NOVICE HAME: The legend says more.

THE DOCTOR: Don't. There's no need for that.

NOVICE HAME: It says that the Face of Boe will speak his final secret to a traveller.

THE DOCTOR (shut up): Yeah, but not yet. Who needs secrets, eh?

THE FACE OF BOE: I have seen so much. Perhaps too much. I am the last of my kind, as you are the last of yours, Doctor.

The Doctor is absolutely desperate now. He does not want this at all. It's hitting him much harder than the death of this entire planet did.

THE DOCTOR: That's why we have to survive. Both of us. Don't go.

THE FACE OF BOE: I must. But know this, Time Lord. You are not alone.

Though before it seemed as though the Doctor would weep, now he is astounded, he stares, uncomprehending, as the Face of Boe's eyes close for the last time. Martha looks on with respect, and Novice Hame begins to sob. Martha is the first to stand, and the Doctor gets up after a moment to put an arm around her shoulders. Back in the alley where Martha and the Doctor first met the pharmacists, the two travellers saunter through again. It's deserted.

THE DOCTOR: All closed down.

MARTHA: Happy?

THE DOCTOR: Happy happy.

Martha laughs softly. The Doctor inspects one of the empty booths.

THE DOCTOR: New New York can start again. And they've got Novice Hame. Just what every city needs, cats in charge! Come on, time we were off.

He begins to stroll away, but Martha stays put.

MARTHA: But what did he mean, the Face of Boe?

The Doctor stops and turns around.

MARTHA: "You're not alone."

THE DOCTOR: I don't know.

Martha steps toward him, smiling.

MARTHA: You've got me. Is that what he meant?

The Doctor shakes his head, the edges of his mouth twitching as if he is trying not to laugh at her. It's kind of terrible.

THE DOCTOR: I don't think so. Sorry.

MARTHA (fine, be that way): Then what?

THE DOCTOR: Doesn't matter. Back to the TARDIS, off we go.

As the Doctor turns away and heads off again, Martha grabs a fallen chair next to her and pulls it up, sitting primly and folding her arms. The Doctor hears and turns around again.

THE DOCTOR: All right, you staying?

MARTHA: 'Till you talk to me properly, yes. He said "last of your kind." What does that mean?

The Doctor is trying to appear flippant. He's trying very hard.

THE DOCTOR: It really doesn't matter.

MARTHA: You don't talk. You never say! Why not?

Around them, the sound of music is rising. It's the new New New York citizens, singing another hymn. Instantly, Martha's enchanted.

# Fast falls the eventide.

MARTHA: It's the city.

# The darkness deepens.

MARTHA: They're singing.

# Lord, with me abide.

The Doctor looks at her. This is not easy.

# When other helpers fail.

THE DOCTOR: I lied to you, 'cause I liked it. I could pretend. Just for a bit, I could imagine they were still alive, underneath a burnt orange sky.

Martha is shocked, and so sad for him.

THE DOCTOR: I'm not just a Time Lord. I'm the last of the Time Lords. The Face of Boe was wrong. There's no one else.

Martha shakes her head slightly.

MARTHA: What happened?

The Doctor stands for a moment, and then grabs his own chair so he can sit across from her. The singing continues behind them.

THE DOCTOR: There was a w*r. A Time w*r. The last Great Time w*r. My people fought a race called the Daleks, for the sake of all creation. And they lost. They lost. Everyone lost. They're all gone now. My family, my friends, even that sky. Oh, you should have seen it, that old planet. The second sun would rise in the south, and the mountains would shine. The leaves on the trees were silver, and when they caught the light every morning, it looked like a forest on fire. When the autumn came, the breeze would blow through the branches like a song...

As the Doctor speaks, the camera pulls out to show the bright sun over the city, with the cars still zooming.

# The darkness deepens. Lord, with me abide. #.

END