03x04 - Daleks in Manhattan

Episode transcripts for the 2005 TV show "Doctor Who". (Ninth to Twelfth Doctor)*

Moderator: Kitty Midnight

Time and Space traveling adventures of a Gallifreyan Time Lord only known as "the Doctor" and his companions.

Watch/Buy Amazon  Merchandise  Collectibles

Classic Who   Specials  

03x04 - Daleks in Manhattan

Post by bunniefuu »

Arial sh*t of New York City, jazz music playing. Pan down to street level in front of a theatre with "NEW YORK REVUE" on the marquee. Backstage, a chorus girl walks along a corridor.

INT. THEATRE CORRIDOR

CHORUS GIRL 1: 2 minutes to curtain up!

STAGE MANAGER: 2 minutes to curtain up!

CHORUS GIRL 1: Where's Tallulah?

CHORUS GIRL 2: Where do you think? (Knocks on star's dressing room door). Hey, Tallulah, leave him alone!

Proceeds to stage. Tallulah's dressing room, a platinum blonde, is kissing a young man.

TALLULAH: It's nearly showtime, Lazlo. I gotta go.

LASZLO: Just promise me you'll come on Sunday, OK? My mother will k*ll me if she doesn't get to meet you.

TALLULAH: What if she doesn't like me?

LASZLO: Tallulah, she'll love you just as much as I do.

TALLULAH: Oh, you say the sweetest things!

LASZLO: It's true. Now, promise me, sunday, you'll come.

TALLULAH: I promise. Cross my heart.

LASZLO: Oh, uh, here. (Gives her a white rose). Wear it on stage and think of me.

Tallulah slips it into the strap of her costume. There's a knock on the door.

WOMAN: Tallulah!

TALLULAH (yells): I'm comin'! Quit yellin'! (Turns back to Lazlo). How do I look?

Spins around in skimpy silver sequin dress with angel wings.

LASZLO: Like an angel.

Tallulah kisses him again and leaves the room. At the base of the stairs she turns and blows him a kiss.

TALLULAH: Wish me luck, Lazlo!

LASZLO: Break a leg, sweetheart.

Tallulah goes upstairs and Lazlo goes back into the dressing room. A weird figure passes by the doorway and Lazlo hears something.

LASZLO: Tallulah?

Lazlo looks down the hallway but it's empty. He sees movement by the prop room and goes inside to look.

LASZLO: Hello?

Lazlo hears a strange growling. The prop room door slams shut and the growling gets louder.

LASZLO: Who's there? Who are you?

Lazlo lights a match at looks around only to be startled by a statue. When the match goes out, he is att*cked by a pig creature.

OPENING CREDITS

The TARDIS materializes in front of a white stone wall and Martha steps out first followed by the Doctor.

MARTHA: Where are we?

DOCTOR: Ah, smell that Atlantic breeze. Nice and cold. Lovely. Martha, have you met my friend?

They look up to see the Statue of Liberty.

MARTHA: Is that...? Oh my God! That's the Statue of Liberty!

DOCTOR: Gateway to the New World. "Give me you tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to break free..."

MARTHA: That's so brilliant. I've always wanted to go to New York. I mean the real New York, not the new, new, new, new, new...

They walk to the edge of the island with a view of the Manhattan skyline.

DOCTOR: Well, there's the genuine article. So good, they named it twice. Mind you, it was New Amsterdam originally. Harder to say twice. Now wonder it didn't catch on. New Amsterdam, New Amsterdam.

MARTHA: I wonder what year it is 'cause look, the Empire State Building's not even finished yet.

DOCTOR: Work in progress. Still got a couple floors to go, and if I know my history, that makes the date somewhere around...

MARTHA (reads off newspaper): November 1, 1930.

DOCTOR: You're getting good at this.

MARTHA: Eighty years ago. (The Doctor takes the paper). It's funny 'cause you see all those old newsreels in black and white like it's so far away, but here we are. It's real. It's now. (Laughs then looks at the Doctor). Come on, you. Where do we go first?

DOCTOR (shows her the headline): I think our detour just got longer.

MARTHA (reading): "Hooverville Mystery Deepens". What's Hooverville?

Arial sh*t of Manhattan showing Central Park. "Putting on the Ritz" plays. The Doctor and Martha stroll through the park.

DOCTOR: Herbert Hoover, 31st President of the USA, came to power a year ago. Up till then New York was a boom town, the Roaring Twenties, and then...

MARTHA: The Wall Street Crash, yeah? When was that, 1929?

DOCTOR: Yeah. Whole economy wiped out overnight. Thousands of people unemployed. Suddenly the huddled masses doubled in number with nowhere to go. So they ended up here in Central Park.

MARTHA: What? They actually live in the park? In the middle of the city?

They arrive at Hooverville; a collection of quickly put together shacks and tents with random fire barrels placed throughout.

DOCTOR: Ordinary people. Lost their jobs. Couldn't pay the rent and they lost everything. There are places like this all over America. You only come to Hooverville when there's nowhere else to go.

We hear shouting from another part of Hooverville. Two men are fighting.

MAN 1: You thievin' lowlife!

Punches Man 2. Two other men try to break up the fight.

MAN 1: Loaf!

MAN 2: I didn't touch it!

An older man, Solomon, steps out of his tent and tried to stop the fight.

SOLOMON: Cut that out!

The two men ignore Solomon and keep fighting.

SOLOMON: Cut that out! Right now!

Pushes the two men apart.

MAN 1: He stole my bread!

SOLOMON: That's enough! (Looks at Man 2). Did you take it?

MAN 2: I don't know what happened. He just went crazy.

Man 1 lunges at 2 but is held back.

SOLOMON: That's enough!

Other residents of Hooverville wander over to see what's going on. The Doctor and Martha are with them.

SOLOMON: Now think real careful before you lie to me.

MAN 2: I'm starvin', Solomon.

Solomon holds out his hand and Man 2 reaches under his coat and pulls out the bread, handing it over to Solomon.

SOLOMON: We're all starvin'. (He breaks the bread in half). We all got families somewhere. (He hands each man a half). No stealin' and no fightin'. You know the rules. Thirteen years ago I fought in the Great w*r. A lot of us did. And the only reason we got through was because we stuck together! No matter how bad things get, we still act like human beings. It's all we got.

The men go their own way.

DOCTOR (to Martha): Come on. (to Solomon): I suppose that makes you the boss around here.

SOLOMON: And, uh, who might you be?

MARTHA: He's the Doctor. I'm Martha.

SOLOMON: A doctor. (scoffs). Well, we got, uh, stockbrokers, we got a lawyer, but you're the first doctor. Neighbourhood gets classier by the day.

Warms his hands over a fire.

MARTHA: How many people live here?

SOLOMON: At any one time, hundreds. No place else to go. But I will say this about Hooverville. We are a truly equal society, black, white, all the same. All starving. (Laughs) So you're welcome. Both of you. But tell me, Doctor, you're a man of learning, right? Explain this to me. (Points to Empire State Building). That there's going to be the tallest building in the world. How come they can do that, and we got people starving in the heart of Manhattan?

HIGH UP ON THE BUILDING

Two construction workers are out on the girders.

MAN 1: Right, no more!

MAN 2: There you go. Hoist!

INSIDE AN UNFINISHED SECTION OF THE 100TH FLOOR

The site foreman is arguing with Mr Diagoras, a man with slicked-back hair, dark pinstriped suit, and spats, who is looking over the building plans.

FOREMAN: I'm tellin' ya, the men won't stand for it! I mean, are you outta your mind? I've got 500 men working seven days a week flat out, and you want us to go faster?

DIAGORAS: The new masters demand it.

FOREMAN: But we're on schedule! What's the problem?

DIAGORAS: The mast on this building needs extra work completed by tonight.

FOREMAN: Tonight? No way. It's impossible!

DIAGORAS: That's an order.

FOREMAN: Yeah? Well, one word from me and every man on this site stops working. So go on. Tell your masters that.

DIAGORAS: If that's your attitude, I think that you should tell them yourself.

Walks towards lift.

FOREMAN: Yeah, well, I ain't afraid of no man in a suit.

Diagoras presses the call button for the lift.

FOREMAN: These new bosses? What's their names?

DIAGORAS: I guess you could say they're from outta town.

FOREMAN: Italians?

DIAGORAS: A bit further than that.

FOREMAN: How much further?

DIAGORAS: Beyond your imagination.

FOREMAN: What's that supposed to mean? Who are they? Mr. Diagoras, who're we working for?

Diagoras walks away from the lift to stand beside the foreman.

DIAGORAS: Behold your masters.

The lift bell dings and the doors slide open to reveal a Dalek flanked by two pigmen.

FOREMAN: What the hell?

DALEK: I have been summoned. Explain. Explain.

FOREMAN (backs away): It can talk. How does it talk? And what the hell are they?

DIAGORAS: I'm sorry, my lord, but this man is refusing to complete the work.

DALEK: Then we must replace him.

FOREMAN: Is anybody gonna tell me what the hell is happening here?

DALEK: Use him. Take him for the Final Experiment.

The pigmen move forward and grab the foreman by the arms.

FOREMAN: Hey, what's goin' on? Let go! Let go of me! (Struggles as they take him to the lift). Get off me, ya freaks! Mr. Diagoras, will you tell 'em? Listen..;

The doors of the lift close.

DALEK: The Empire State Building must be completed in time.

DIAGORAS: It will be. Trust me. Labour is cheap and that man can be replaced.

DALEK: The plan must not fail. The gamma strike has accelerated. We need more bodies immediately.

DIAGORAS: Yes, Master.

HOOVERVILLE

Solomon throws coffee dregs onto the fire as the Doctor and Martha approach.

DOCTOR: So... men are going missing. Is this true?

Holds up newspaper.

SOLOMON (takes newspaper): It's true all right.

Goes inside his tent.

DOCTOR (stands at opening of tent): But what does missing mean? Men must come and go here all the time. It's not like anyone's keeping a register.

SOLOMON (sits) C'mon in. (The Doctor and Martha enter and sit). This is different.

MARTHA: In what way?

SOLOMON: Someone takes them. At night. We hear something. Someone calls out for help. By the time we get there, they're gone. Like they vanish into thin air.

DOCTOR: And you're sure someone's taking them?

SOLOMON: Doctor, when you got next to nothing, you hold on to the little you got. Your Kn*fe, blanket, you take it with you. You don't leave bread uneaten, fire still burning.

MARTHA: Have you been to the police?

SOLOMON: Yeah, we tried that. Another deadbeat goes missing, big deal.

DOCTOR: So, the question is, who's taking them and what for?

Frank, a young man, sticks his head inside the tent.

FRANK: Solomon, Mr. Diagoras is here.

They walk outside to where Diagoras is talking to the men of Hooverville.

DIAGORAS: I need men. Volunteers. I got a little work for you and you sure look like you can use the money.

FRANK: Yeah. What is the money?

DIAGORAS: A dollar a day.

The men grumble.

SOLOMON: What's the work?

DIAGORAS: A little trip down the sewers. Got a tunnel that collapsed needs clearing and fixing. Any takers?

SOLOMON: A dollar a day? That's sl*ve wage. Men don't always come back up, do they?

DIAGORAS: Accidents happen.

DOCTOR: What do you mean? What sort of accidents?

DIAGORAS: You don't need the work? That's fine. Anybody else? (The Doctor raises his hand). Enough with the questions.

DOCTOR: Oh, n-n-no. I'm volunteering.

MARTHA (raises her hand and looks at the Doctor): I'll k*ll you for this.

Solomon and Frank raise their hands as well.

DOWN IN THE SEWERS

DIAGORAS: Turn left. Go about half a mile. Follow Tunnel 273. Fall's right ahead of you. You can't miss it.

FRANK: And when do we get our dollar?

DIAGORAS: When you come back up.

DOCTOR: And if we don't come back up?

DIAGORAS: Then I got no one to pay.

SOLOMON: We'll be back.

MARTHA: Let's hope so.

The others start down the tunnel. The Doctor just stares at Diagoras before turning and joining them.

FRANK: We just gotta stick together. It's easy to get lost. It's like a huge rabbit warren. You could hide an army down here.

MARTHA: So what about you, Frank? You're not from around these parts, are you?

FRANK: Oh, you could talk. No, no, I'm from Tennessee, born and bred.

MARTHA: So how come you're here?

FRANK:: Uh, my daddy d*ed. Mama... couldn't afford to feed us all. So, I'm the oldest, up to me to feed myself, so put on my coat, hitched up here on the railroads. There's a whole lot of runaways in camp younger than me. From all over; Missouri, Oklahoma, Texas... Solomon keeps a lookout for us. So, what about you? You're a long way from home.

MARTHA: Yeah, I'm just a hitcher too.

FRANK: You stick with me, you'll be all right.

DOCTOR: So this Diagoras bloke, who is he then?

SOLOMON: A couple of months ago, he was just another foreman. Now it seems like he's running most of Manhattan.

DOCTOR:: How did he manage that, then?

SOLOMON: These are strange times. A man can go from being King of the Hill to the lowest of the low overnight. It's just for some folks it works the other way 'round.

DOCTOR: Whoa!

A blob is lying on the ground giving off a sick green light.

MARTHA (comes forward): Is it radioactive or something?

The Doctor sets down his torch and crouches beside it.

MARTHA (covers her nose and mouth): It's gone off, whatever it is.

The Doctor slips on his glasses and carefully picks up the slimy blob.

MARTHA: And you've got to pick it up.

DOCTOR (sniffs it): Shine your torch through it. (She does). Composite organic matter. Martha? Medical opinion?

MARTHA: It's not human. I know that.

Solomon and Frank look on, puzzled.

DOCTOR: No, it's not. And I'll tell you something else. We must be at least half a mile in and I don't see any sign of a collapse, do you? So why did Mr Diagoras send up down here?

MARTHA: So where are we now? What's above us?

DOCTOR: Well... we're right underneath Manhattan.

EMPIRE STATE BUILDING

A small group of workers have gathered in Diagoras' office.

DIAGORAS: And here, the crowning glory of the Empire State Building, the mast itself. 1472 feet above New York.

FOREMAN 2: It's a beautiful thing, sir, and every single one of us is proud of it. My wife says it's like a... like a spire reaching into Heaven.

DIAGORAS: Except the Gates of Heaven need a little decoration. These plates have got to be fixed to the mast, right to the base itself.

FOREMAN 2: That's okay. That's not too bad. Shouldn't take too long.

DIAGORAS: But the work has got to be finished tonight.

FOREMAN 2: What? Are you trying to k*ll us? We're flat out up here! C'mon!

DIAGORAS: Don't argue with me!

FOREMAN 2: But sir, a man can't work up there at night. It's freezing. Your hands go numb, you lose your grip, you fall.

DIAGORAS: You don't get it. If you won't work... I can replace you like that!

Snaps his fingers. After a stare-down the foreman gives in.

DIAGORAS: Now take those panels and get going.

One of the men walks forward and picks up one of the panels. It's heavier than he expected.

MAN 1: What sort of metal is this anyway?

DIAGORAS: Don't ask questions, just go!

The men take a panel each and file out of the room.

DIAGORAS: And I don't care how cold it is, how tired you are, just get out there and finish the job!

After the men leave, a Dalek exits the lift.

DALEK: The conductor must be complete for our plan to succeed.

DIAGORAS: Unemployment is such an incentive. It'll get done, don't worry.

They move to an exposed section of the floor overlooking the city.

DALEK: Daleks have no concept of worry.

DIAGORAS: Yeah? Well lucky you.

DALEK: This day is ending. Humankind is weak. You shelter from the dark. And yet, you have built all this.

DIAGORAS: That's progress. Ya gotta move with the times or you get left behind.

DALEK: My planet is gone, destroyed in a great w*r, yet versions of this city strand throughout history. The human race always continues.

DIAGORAS: We've had wars. I've been a soldier myself. I swore then I'd survive, no matter what.

DALEK: You have rare ambition.

DIAGORAS: I'm gonna run this city, whatever it takes, by any means necessary.

DALEK: You think like a Dalek.

DIAGORAS: I'll take that as a compliment.

DALEK LAB

Dalek Sec and two other Daleks are watching this exchange on-screen.

DALEK SEC: This human is our best option. Bring him to me.

FLOOR 100

DALEK: Your loyalty will be rewarded. Come with me.

Heads toward the lift.

DALEK LABORATORY

DALEK SEC: Prepare the laboratory. The Final Experiment will begin.

DALEK 2: We obey.

IN THE LIFT

DIAGORAS: Where are we going?

DALEK: You have been summoned by our leader.

DIAGORAS: Oh, and about time too.

The lift doors open and Diagoras steps out into the lab with is filled with Dalek machinery. He slips on a pair of black leather gloves as he walks further into the room. Pig Men watch from the sidelines. Dalek Sec is waiting.

DALEK 1: I bring you the human.

DIAGORAS: I take it... you're in charge?

DALEK SEC: Correct. I am Dalek Sec, leader of the Cult of Skaro.

DIAGORAS: Then, my lord Sec, I am honoured to meet you. Ever since you first made contact with me, transmitting your thoughts into the corners of my mind, tempting me with such images, such ideas... Oh, sir, I'd always dreamt that the...

DALEK SEC: Cease talking!

DIAGORAS: I just wanna let you know how grateful I am.

DALEK SEC: I said cease. Slaves, secure the human.

DIAGORAS: But you don't need to do that. I'm on your side. (The pig slaves take him). I'm working with you! I'm your partner!

SEWERS

SOLOMON: We're way beyond half a mile. There's no collapse, nothing.

MARTHA: That Diagoras bloke, was he lying?

DOCTOR: Looks like it.

FRANK: So why did he want people to come down here?

DOCTOR: Solomon, I think it's time you took these two back. I'll be much quicker on my own.

They hear squealing echo in the tunnels.

SOLOMON: What the hell was that?

FRANK: Hello?!

MARTHA: Shh.

SOLOMON: Frank.

FRANK: What if it's one of the folk gone missing? You'd be scared, half-mad down here on your own.

DOCTOR: Do you think they're still alive?

FRANK: Heck, we ain't seen no bodies down here. Maybe they just got lost.

They hear more squealing.

SOLOMON: I know I never heard nobody make a sound like that.

The Doctor walks a little ahead of them.

FRANK: Sounds like there's more than one of 'em.

DOCTOR: This way.

SOLOMON (shining his light down another tunnel): No, that way.

The light of Solomon's torch catches a huddled figure on the ground.

MARTHA (looking back at him): Doctor...

The Doctor rejoins them.

SOLOMON: Who are you?

FRANK: Are you lost? Can you understand me? I've been thinkin' about folk lost...

He starts to walk forward but the Doctor stops him.

DOCTOR: It's all right, Frank. Just stay back. Let me have a look. (Walks toward the figure). He's got a point, though, my mate Frank. I'd hate to be stuck down here on my own. (Creature squeals). We know the way out. Daylight. If you want to come with us. (Squats and shines a light on the pig man's face). Oh, but what are you?

SOLOMON: Is, uh, that some kind of carnival mask?

DOCTOR: No, it's real. (To the pig man): I'm sorry. Now listen to me. I promise I can help. (Shadows fall on the wall but he doesn't notice them). Now, who did this to you?

MARTHA: Doctor, I think you'd better get back here.

More pig men have filled the opposite end of the tunnel.

MARTHA: Doctor!

DOCTOR (stands) Actually... good point.

Backs up towards the others.

MARTHA: They're following you.

DOCTOR: Yeah, I noticed that, thanks. (Reaches them). Well then, Martha, Frank, Solomon...

MARTHA: What?

DOCTOR: Um, basically... run!

They race down the tunnel to a cross-section where Martha stops in confusion.

MARTHA: Where are we going?!

DOCTOR: This way!

Turns right. The pig men keep chasing. The Doctor stops at the mouth of a joining tunnel.

DOCTOR: There's a ladder!

The Doctor climbs the ladder and uses the sonic screwdriver on the lid. Martha follows. Solomon hesitates when he sees Frank pick up a metal rod to try and hold them off.

SOLOMON: Frank!

He climbs the ladder. Seeing that the others are safe, Frank runs for the ladder and starts climbing. The Doctor and Solomon reach down their hands.

SOLOMON: C'mon, Frank! C'mon!

DOCTOR: I've got ya. C'mo!

The pig men pull Frank out of their grasp and down into the sewer.

SOLOMON: Frank!

DOCTOR: No!

Solomon shoves the Doctor aside and closes the lid before one of the pig men limbs up.

SOLOMON: We can't go after him.

DOCTOR: We gotta go back down! We can't just leave him!

SOLOMON: No, I'm not losing anybody else! Those creatures were from Hell! From Hell itself!

Someone is walking towards them with a g*n.

SOLOMON: If we go after them, they'll take us all! There's nothing we can do. I'm sorry.

Tallulah steps out from behind a shelf in the prop room, a g*n pointed at them.

TALLULAH: All right then. Put 'em up.

Martha puts her hands up.

TALLULAH (cocks the g*n): Hands in the air and no funny business.

The Doctor and Solomon put their hands up.

TALLULAH: Now tell me, you schmucks, what've you done with Laszlo?

MARTHA: Uh, who's Lazlo?

TALLULAH'S DRESSING ROOM

Tallulah still has the g*n aimed at them.

TALLULAH: Laszlo's my boyfriend, or was my boyfriend until two weeks ago. No letter, no good-bye, no nothin'. And I'm not stupid. (She waves the g*n as she talks). I know some guys are just pigs but not my Laszlo. I mean, what kinda guy asks you to meet his mother before he vamooses?

DOCTOR: It might, might just help if you put that down.

TALLULAH: Hunh? (Realizes she has g*n). Oh, sure. (Tosses g*n to a chair). Oh, c'mon. It's not real. It's just a prop. It was either that or a spear.

MARTHA: What do you think happened to Laszlo?

TALLULAH: I wish I knew. One minute he's there, the next, zip, vanished.

DOCTOR: Listen, ah, what's your name?

TALLULAH: Tallulah.

DOCTOR: Tallulah.

TALLULAH: 3 Ls and an H.

DOCTOR: Right. Um, we can try to find Laszlo, but he's not the only one. There are people disappearing every night.

SOLOMON: And there are creatures. Such creatures.

TALLULAH: Whaddaya mean "creatures"?

DOCTOR: Look. Listen, just trust me. Everyone is in danger. I need to find out exactly what this is (removes blob from his pocket) because then I'll know exactly what we're fighting.

TALLULAH (leans back): Yech!

PROPS ROOM

The Doctor is scavenging for pieces of equipment.

SOLOMON (holds up a radio): How about this? I found it backstage.

DOCTOR (takes it): Perfect. It's the capacitors I need. I'm just rigging up a crude little DNA scan for this beastie. If I can get a chromosomal reading, I'll find out where it's from.

The Doctor uses the sonic screwdriver on the radio's insides.

SOLOMON: How about you, Doctor? Where are you from? I've been all over. I've never heard anybody talk like you. Just exactly who are you?

The Doctor takes out a piece from the radio and blows on it.

DOCTOR: Oh, I'm just sort of passing by.

SOLOMON: I'm not a fool, Doctor.

DOCTOR: No. Sorry.

Solomon walks over to the sewer lid and looks down at it.

SOLOMON: I was so scared, Doctor. I let them take Frank 'cause I was just too scared. I gotta get back to Hooverville. With these creatures on the loose, we gotta protect ourselves. Ain't no one else gonna help us.

DOCTOR: Good luck.

SOLOMON: I hope you find what you're looking for. For all our sakes.

Solomon leaves.
TALLULAH'S DRESSING ROOM

Tallulah is in costume, putting on her makeup for the performance. Martha is sitting in a chair, watching.

TALLULAH: Laszlo... He's wait for me after the show, walk me home like I was a lady. He'd leave a flower for me on my dressing table. Every day, just a single rose.

Martha stands and walks over beside her.

MARTHA: Haven't you reported him missing?

TALLULAH: Sure. He's just a stagehand. Who cares? The management certainly don't.

MARTHA: Can't you kick up a fuss or something?

TALLULAH:: Okay, so then they fire me.

MARTHA: But they'd listen to you. You're one of the stars.

TALLULAH: Oh, honey, I got one stone in a back street revue and that's only because Heidi Chicane broke her ankle; which had nothin' to do with me whatever anybody says. I can't afford to make a fuss. If I don't make this month's rent, then before you know it, I'm in Hooverville.

MARTHA: Okay, I get it.

TALLULAH: It's the Depression, sweetie. Your heart might break, but the show goes on and if it stops, you starve. Every night I have to go out there, sign, dance, keep goin'. Hoping he's gonna come back.

Breaks down.

MARTHA (hugs her): I'm sorry.

Tallulah pulls out of the hug and wipes her eyes.

TALLULAH: Hey, you're lucky, though. You got yourself a forward thinking guy with that hot potato in the sharp suit.

MARTHA: Uh, he's not, we're not... together.

TALLULAH: Oh, sure you are. I've seen the way you look at him. It's obvious.

MARTHA: Not to him.

TALLULAH: Oh, I shoulda realized. He's into musicals, hunh? What a waste.

Martha shakes her head as Tallulah misunderstands.

TALLULAH: Still, ya gotta live in hope. It's the only thing that's kept me going 'cause... (lifts white rose from dressing table) look. On my dressing table every day still.

MARTHA (takes the rose): You think it's Laszlo?

TALLULAH: I don't know. If he's still around, why's he bein' all secret like he doesn't want me to see him?

HOOVERVILLE

Solomon addresses everyone.

SOLOMON: The stories are all true. People are being taken. We lost Frank today. He was stolen from right in front of me. But no more. I swear to you, no more. Now, I made a pledge that this place would be a peaceful place, but now it's time to take up arms.

CROWD: Yeah!

SOLOMON: We need weapons. We need sentries on duty. We need men prepared o fight! We've got to protect ourselves because you know no one else will. Now get moving. Arm yourselves.

The men, inspired, go off to follow Solomon's words.

EMPIRE STATE BUILDING

Up on the mast, two men are attaching the plates. The wind is howling and it's freezing.

FOREMAN 2: I can't feel my fingers! We can't stay here for much longer! We'll fall!

MAN 2: C'mon, we're nearly done!

DALEK LAB

DALEK THAY: The chromatin solution is ready.

DALEK SEC: Then our preparations are complete.

DIAGORAS: What are you doing? Preparations for what?

DALEK SEC: This is the Final Experiment.

DIAGORAS: Whaddya mean? Do you mean like this pig men things? You're not gonna turn me into one of those! Oh, God, please don't!

DALEK SEC: The pig slaves are primitive. The Final Experiment is greater by far.

DIAGORAS: But how does that involve me?

DALEK SEC: We need your flesh. Bring him to me!

DALEK THAY: Halt! This action contradicts the Dalek Imperative.

DALEK 2: Daleks are supreme. Humans are weak.

DALEK SEC: But there are millions of humans and only four of us. If we are supreme, why are we not victorious? The Cult of Skaro was created by the Emperor for this very purpose. To imagine new ways of survival.

DALEK THAY: But we must remain pure.

DALEK SEC: No, Dalek Thay! Our purity has brought us to extinction! We must adapt to survive. You have all made sacrifices...

One Daleks is shown to have sacrificed its side panels for the mast.

DALEK SEC : ... And now I will sacrifice myself for the greater cause, the future of Dalek-kind. Now bring me the human!

The pig men force Diagoras forward.

DIAGORAS ; I don't understand. What do you mean? Get offa me!

DALEK SEC: Behold the true Dalek form.

Dalek Sec's casing opens to reveal the real Dalek inside.

DALEK SEC: Now you join with me.

Diagoras tries to resist as the pig men push him towards Sec.

DIAGORAS: No! Get off me! I did everything you asked of me! No!

Sec reaches out with his tentacles and sucks Diagoras in like a cocoon then the casing closes.

THEATRE

The Doctor is up in the balcony with the blob hooked up to his hand-made scanner. He sets the beam from one of the stage lights on it.

DOCTOR: That's it. Let's warm you up.

The Doctor puts on his glasses and starts to examine it.

BACKSTAGE

TALLULAH: Girls, it's showtime!

BALCONY

DOCTOR: This is artificial.

We hear the announcer over the speakers.

ANNOUNCER: Ladies and gentlemen...

DOCTOR: Genetically engineered. Whoever this is, oh, you're clever.

ANNOUNCER: ...with Heaven and Hell!

The curtains open and we see chorus girls dressed in red sequined dresses with tails and horns. As they part, Tallulah appears in white with wings and a halo. She sashays up to the microphone and begins to sing.

TALLULAH :: # You lured me in with your cold grey eyes / Your simple smile and your bewitching lies / One and one and one is three / My bad, bad angel, the Devil and me / You put the devil in me / You put the devil in me / You put the devil in me.

Martha is watching from the wings.

TALLULAH: You put the Devil in me. #

As the dance starts, Martha sees a pig man who looks different from the others standing in the opposite wings, seemingly just watching. Martha cuts across the stage, hiding behind the girls.

CHORUS GIRL 1: What are you doing?

Martha moves to the next girl, accidentally grabbing her tail, causing her to fall.

TALLULAH: What are you doing?

CHORUS GIRL 2: You're on my tail! Get off my tail!

BALCONY

The Doctor has a stethoscope on the blob.

DOCTOR: Fundamental DNA type 467-989. 989. Hold on, that means planet of origin. (A look of disbelief crosses his face). Skaro.

Rushes off.

STAGE

TALLULAH (to Martha): Get off the stage! You're spoilin' it!

MARTHA: But look. (Points to the wings). Over there!

The pig man realizes he's been spotted and is startled. Tallulah screams and he runs.

MARTHA: Hey!

Runs after him. The pig man runs through the halls, Martha still following.

MARTHA: Wait! But you're different than the others! Just wait!

In the prop room, Martha hears a clanging but the pig man is gone. Backstage, Tallulah is with the chorus girls.

CHORUS GIRL 1: It was like something out of a movie show. Oh, that face. I ain't never gonna sleep.

The Doctor arrives.

DOCTOR: Where is she? Where's Martha?

TALLULAH: I don't know. She ran off the stage.

In the prop room a second pig man comes up behind Martha and att*cks her. She screams. The Doctor hears her screams and runs to save her followed by Tallulah. They reach the prop room, but she's gone.

DOCTOR: Martha!

The Doctor notices the sewer lid is crooked so he grabs his coat and puts it on.

TALLULAH: Oh, where are you goin'?

DOCTOR: They've taken her.

TALLULAH: Who's taken her?

The Doctor begins to climb down into the sewer.

TALLULAH: What're y' doin'? I said, what the hell are ya doin'? Crazy guy.

Tallulah finds a long coat to put on over her costume and follows.

DOCTOR: No, no, no, no, no way. You're not coming.

TALLULAH: Tell me what's going on.

DOCTOR: There's nothing you can do. Go back.

TALLULAH: Look, whoever's taken Martha, they could've taken Laszlo, couldn't they?

DOCTOR: Tallulah, you're not safe down here.

TALLULAH: Then that's my problem. Come on. Which way?

Tallulah walks down a tunnel to the left.

DOCTOR (sighs): This way.

The Doctor goes down the tunnel in front of them and Tallulah follows.

ANOTHER TUNNEL

Martha is being held by two pig men.

MARTHA: No! Let me go!

They push her against a wall. More pig men come by with humans in a line, one of who is Frank.

FRANK: Martha.

MARTHA: You're alive!

Hugs him.

FRANK: Hey.

MARTHA: I thought we'd lost you.

A pig man pushes them to keep moving.

MARTHA: All right! All right, we're moving.

FRANK: Wait. Where are they taking us?

MARTHA: I don't know, but we can find out what's going on down here.

ANOTHER TUNNEL

The Doctor and Tallulah are walking.

TALLULAH: When you say "They've taken her", who's they exactly? And who are you anyway? I never asked.

DOCTOR: Shh.

TALLULAH: Okay. Okay.

DOCTOR: Shh, shh, shh.

In the weak light of the tunnel in front of them, the shadow of a Dalek is approaching.

TALLULAH: I mean you're handsome and all...

The Doctor puts his hand over her mouth and pulls her back down the tunnel into a recess. The Dalek passes by without seeing them.

DOCTOR: No, no, no, no, no, no, no. They survived. They always survive while I lose everything.

TALLULAH: That metal thing? What was it?

DOCTOR: It's called a Dalek. And it's not just metal, it's alive.

TALLULAH (laughs): You're kidding me.

DOCTOR: Does it look like I'm kidding? (He turns on her and she sobers). Inside that shell is a creature born to hate, whose only thought is to destroy everything and everyone that isn't a Dalek too. It won't stop until it's k*lled every human being alive.

TALLULAH: But if it's not a human being, that kinda implies it's from outer space. (The Doctor looks at her). Yet again, that's a "no" with the kidding. Boy... Well, what's it doin' here, in New York?

DALEK LAB

DALEK: Stop the process. Dalek Sec is failing.

DALEK SEC (strained): No, the experiment must continue. Administer the solution. We must evolve. Evolve! Evolve!

A second Dalek injects the solution through Dalek Sec's casing.

SEWER TUNNEL

The Doctor pulls Tallulah by the arm.

DOCTOR: Every second you're down here, you're in danger. I'm taking you back right now.

They turn a corner a see a pig man, the one that was at the theatre. Tallulah screams and the pig man tried to hide.

DOCTOR (approaching): Where's Martha? What have you done with her? What have you done with Martha?

PIG MAN: I didn't take her.

DOCTOR (surprised): Can you remember your name?

PIG MAN: Don't look at me.

TALLULAH (moves forward): Do you know where she is?

PIG MAN: Stay back! Don't look at me!

DOCTOR: What happened to you?

A closer look reveals that he is more man than pig.

PIG MAN: They made me a monster.

DOCTOR: Who did?

PIG MAN: The masters.

DOCTOR: The Daleks. Why?

PIG MAN: They needed slaves. They needed slaves to steal more people so they created us. Part animal, part human. I escaped before they got my mind, but it was still too late.

DOCTOR: Do you know what happened to Martha?

PIG MAN: They took her. It's my fault. She was following me.

TALLULAH: Were you in the theatre?

PIG MAN: Yes.

TALLULAH: Why? Why were you there?

PIG MAN: I never wanted you to see me like this.

TALLULAH: Why me? What do I gotta do with this? Were you following me? Is that why you were there?

The pig man turns to face Tallulah.

PIG MAN: Yes.

TALLULAH: Who are you?

PIG MAN: I was lonely.

PIG MAN: I needed to see you.

PIG MAN: I'm sorry.

Turns away.

TALLULAH: No, wait. (Grabs his arm). Let me look at you. (She places him under the light). Laszlo? (He nods). My Laszlo? (Voice breaks). Oh, what have they done to you?

LASZLO: I'm sorry. So sorry.

DOCTOR: Laszlo, can you show me where they are?

LASZLO: They'll k*ll you.

DOCTOR: If I don't stop them, they'll k*ll everyone.

LASZLO: Then follow me.

ANOTHER TUNNEL

Martha, Frank, and the other prisoners are being kept in a section of tunnel by the pig men.

FRANK: What are they keeping us here for?

MARTHA: I don't know. I've just got a nasty feeling that we're being kept in the larder.

Laszlo leads the Doctor and Tallulah through the tunnels and takes them to where they can see Martha and Frank. The pig men guarding the prisoners start squealing nervously.

FRANK: What're they doing? What's wrong? What's wrong?

A Dalek glides into the tunnel.

DALEK: Silence. Silence.

Lazlo ducks back out of sight.

MARTHA: What the hell is that?

The Doctor watches.

DALEK: You will form a line. Move.

The pig men push everyone into line.

MARTHA: Just do what it says, everyone, okay? Just obey.

DALEK: The female is wise. Obey!

A second Dalek arrives.

DALEK 2: Report.

DALEK 1: These are strong specimens. They will help the Dalek cause.

MARTHA (softly): Dalek?

DALEK 1: What is the status of the Final Experiment?

DALEK 2: The Dalekanium is in place. The energy conductor is now complete.

DALEK 1: Then I will extract prisoners for selection.

A pig man brigs an older black man forward. The Dalek extends his sucker towards the man's face.

DALEK 1: Intelligence scan. Initiate. Reading brain waves. Low intelligence.

MAN: You calling me stupid?

DALEK 1: This one will become a pig sl*ve.

Two pig men pull him away.

MAN: No, let go of me! I'm not becoming one of them!

The Dalek moves to the next in line.

DALEK 1: Intelligence scan. Initiate.

LAZLO: They're divided into two groups: high intelligence and low intelligence. The low intelligence are taken to become pig slaves like me.

TALLULAH: Well, that's not fair.

DOCTOR: Shh.

TALLULAH (whispers): You're the smartest guy I ever dated.

DOCTOR: And the others?

LAZLO: They're taken to the laboratory.

DOCTOR: But why? What for?

LASZLO: I don't know. The masters only call it the Final... Experiment.

The Dalek is scanning Frank.

DALEK 1: Superior intelligence. (Turns to Martha). Intelligence scan. Initiate. Superior intelligence. This one will become part of the Final Experiment.

MARTHA: You can't just experiment on people! It's insane! It's inhuman!

DALEK 1: We are not human. Prisoners of high intelligence will be taken to the transgenic laboratory.

DOCTOR: Look out, they're moving!

The Doctor flattens himself against the wall. Laszlo takes Tallulah and heads down the tunnel.

LASZLO: Doctor. Doctor! Quickly!

DOCTOR: I'm not going. I've got an idea. You go.

TALLULAH: Laszlo, c'mon!

LASZLO: Can you remember the way?

TALLULAH: Yeah, I think so.

LASZLO: Then go. Please.

TALLULAH: But Laszlo, you gotta come with me.

LASZLO: Where would I go? Tallulah, I'm beggin you, save yourself. Just run. Just go. Go.

Tallulah leaves and Laszlo rejoins the Doctor. The Daleks pass by and the Doctor falls in line between Martha and Frank while Laszlo acts like one of the guards.

DOCTOR: Just keep walking.

MARTHA: I'm so glad to see you.

DOCTOR: Yeah, well, you can kiss me later. You too, Frank, if you want.

Tallulah runs through the tunnels, lost.

DALEK LAB

The prisoners are brought in.

DALEK 1: Report.

DALEK 3: Dalek Sec is in the final stage of evolution.

DALEK 1: Scan him. Prepare for birth.

DOCTOR: Evolution?

MARTHA: What's wrong with old Charlie boy over there?

DOCTOR: Ask them.

MARTHA: What me? Don't be daft.

DOCTOR: I don't exactly want to get noticed. Ask them what's going on.

MARTHA (deep breath): Daleks, I demand to be told. What is this Final Experiment? Report!

DALEK 1: You will bear witness.

MARTHA: To what?

DALEK 1: This is the dawn of a new age.

MARTHA: What does that mean?

DALEK 1: We are the only four Daleks so the species must evolve a life outside the shell. The Children of Skaro must walk again.

Dalek Sec's shell powers down and the casing opens once again to reveal a human-dalek hybrid. The clothing is unmistakably that of Diagoras. The head is similar to a Dalek body with mouth, one eye, and tentacles. The hands are almost claw-like.

MARTHA: What is it?

DALEK SEC (slowly): I am a human Dalek. I am your future.

To be continued...