05x04 - The Time of Angels

Episode transcripts for the 2005 TV show "Doctor Who". (Ninth to Twelfth Doctor)*

Moderator: Kitty Midnight

Time and Space traveling adventures of a Gallifreyan Time Lord only known as "the Doctor" and his companions.

Watch/Buy Amazon  Merchandise  Collectibles

Classic Who   Specials  

05x04 - The Time of Angels

Post by bunniefuu »

EXT. OPEN FIELD, DAY

It is a beautiful day with the sun shining from a clear, blue sky. There is birdsong as a young man spins slowly in the middle of the field. His eyes have a glassy, drugged appearance an there is an imprint of a kiss in red lipstick is just above his lips on the right side. He is approached by three men, two are armed and the third is an older man in an evening jacket.

YOUNG MAN:
It's a beautiful day.

The older man uses his handkerchief to wipe at the lipstick.

INT. SHIP'S CORRIDOR

We see that the men are actually on a ship

OLDER MAN:
Hallucinogenic lipstick. She's here. (turns and walks away)

INT. SHIP, ANOTHER CORRIDOR

A woman strides along the corridor in red high heels, her black dress swirling at her ankles. She stops in front of a door, pulls a g*n from her small bag and fires out the lock. The door slides open to reveal a black cube with a hole through its center. She tilts the cube so the top is facing towards her, changes the setting on the g*n so it becomes a blowtorch and begins to write on the cube.

---1 2 , 0 0 0 Y E A R S L A T E R---

INT MUSEUM

The museum looks like it is based on the plans of a medieval church. The DOCTOR strides through, pointing at the displays and giving his opinion. AMY follows.

DOCTOR: Wrong! Wrong! Bit right, mostly wrong. I love museums.

AMY: Yeah, great. Can we go to a planet now? Big space ship, Churchill's bunker...? You promised me a planet next.

DOCTOR: Amy, this isn't any old asteroid. It's the Delerium Archive, final resting place of the headless monks, the biggest museum ever.

AMY: You've got a time machine, what do you need museums for?

DOCTOR: Wrong! Very wrong! Oooh, one of mine. Also one of mine. (peers into display case)

AMY: Oh, I see. It's how you keep score.

Something in the next display case catches the DOCTOR'S eye. It's an antique version of the box we saw with the woman. Intrigued, the DOCTOR looks at the top which bears strange symbols.

AMY: Oh great, an old box.

INT. SHIP, ROOM

The woman is still using the g*n on the box, the sparks reflecting off her dark glasses.

INT MUSEUM

DOCTOR: It's from one of the old starliners. A Home Box.

AMY: What's a Home Box?

DOCTOR: Like a black box on a plane, except it homes. Anything happens to the ship, the Home Box flies home, with all the flight data.

AMY: So?

DOCTOR: The writing, the graffiti - Old High Gallifreyan. The lost language of the Time Lords.

INT. SHIP, ROOM

The woman continues to write on the box. Done, the writing looks sharp and pristine.

INT MUSEUM

DOCTOR: There were days, there were many days, these words could burn stars and raise up empires, and topple Gods.

AMY: What does it say?

DOCTOR: Hello, sweetie.

INT. SHIP'S CORRIDOR

A door slides open to reveal the woman is RIVER SONG. She looks straight into a security camera and winks before walking away.

INT MUSEUM

Alarm bells ring as the DOCTOR runs through the museum, the home box tucked under his arm. AMY is racing beside him. They rush into the TARDIS as two guards chase after them.

INT. SHIP'S CORRIDOR

Two armed guards turn a corner and stop, r*fles raised, as the same man from before approaches more sedately. He stands between the two guards.

MAN: Party's over, Doctor Song.

INT. TARDIS

The DOCTOR hooks the home box up to the console.

AMY: Why are we doing this?

DOCTOR: Cos someone on a space ship 12,000 years ago is trying to attract my attention. Let's see if we can get the security playback working.

Grainy black and white footage of RIVER winking at the camera appears on the monitor. It then switches to RIVER with her back to the camera facing a door.

MAN: (over monitor) The party's over, Doctor Song…

INT. SHIP'S CORRIDOR

MAN: …yet still you're on board.

RIVER turns to face him.

INT. TARDIS

RIVER: (over monitor) Sorry, Alistair.

INT. SHIP'S CORRIDOR

RIVER: I needed to see what was in your vault. Do you all know what's down there? Any of you? Because I'll tell you something. This ship won't reach its destination.

ALLISTAIR: Wait till she runs. Don't make it look like an execution.

RIVER: (looks at her watch) Triple-seven, five…

INT. TARDIS

RIVER: (over monitor) …slash, three, four, nine by ten.

The DOCTOR and AMY exchange a look.

INT. SHIP'S CORRIDOR

RIVER: Zero, twelve, slash, acorn.

INT. TARDIS

RIVER: (over monitor) Oh, and I could do with an air corridor.

The DOCTOR begins to type on the keyboard.

AMY: What was that, what did she say?

DOCTOR: Co-ordinates!

INT. SHIP'S CORRIDOR

RIVER: Like I said on the dance floor, you might want to find something to hang on to!

As a timer begins to beep frantically, ALLISTAIR realizes what's about to happen and grabs hold of one of the pipes on the wall. The two guards do the same. RIVER blows a kiss just before the door behind her blows open and she is carried into space—and directly to the TARDIS as it materializes.

INT. TARDIS

The DOCTOR lets out a "whoop" before running to open the TARDIS doors. He reaches out and pulls RIVER in and they both land on the floor.

AMY: Doctor?

DOCTOR: River?

They stand and watch the ship fly away.

RIVER: Follow that ship.

Matt Smith
Karen Gillan

DOCTOR WHO
"The Time of Angels"
by Steven Moffatt

Producer
Tracie Simpson

Director
Adam Smith

SPACE

The TARDIS follows the spaceship.

INT. TARDIS

The DOCTOR and RIVER are both working the controls while AMY stands back and watches. RIVER is barefoot.

RIVER: They've gone into warp drive, we're losing them! Stay close!

DOCTOR: I'm trying!

RIVER: Use the stabilisers.

DOCTOR: There aren't any stabilisers!

RIVER: The blue switches!

DOCTOR: The blue ones don't do anything, they're just...blue.

RIVER: Yes, they're blue. They're the blue stabilisers! (uses the stabilizers and the ship becomes quiet) See?

DOCTOR: Yeah, well, it's just boring now, isn't it? They're boring-ers. They're blue boring-ers.

AMY: Doctor, how come she can fly the TARDIS?

DOCTOR: You call that flying the TARDIS? Ha! (sits on jump seat to sulk)

RIVER: OK. I've mapped the probability vectors, done a fold-back on the temporal isometry, charted the ship to its destination, and parked us right along side.

DOCTOR: Parked us? We haven't landed.

RIVER: Of course we've landed. I just landed her.

DOCTOR: But it didn't make the noise.

RIVER: What noise?

DOCTOR: You know, the...(makes the TARDIS wheezing sound)

RIVER: It's not supposed to make that noise. You leave the brakes on.

DOCTOR: Yeah, well, it's a brilliant noise. I love that noise. Come along, Pond, let's have a look.

RIVER: No, wait! Environment checks.

DOCTOR: Oh, yes, sorry! Quite right. Environment checks. (sticks his head out the door) Nice out.

RIVER: We're somewhere in the Garn Belt. There's an atmosphere. Early indications suggest...

DOCTOR: We're on Alfava Metraxis, the seventh planet of the Dundra System. Oxygen-rich atmosphere, toxins in the soft band, 11-hour day, and... (puts his head out the door again) chances of rain later.

RIVER: (to AMY) He thinks he's so hot when he does that.

The DOCTOR joins them at the console.

AMY: How come you can fly the TARDIS?

RIVER: Oh, I had lessons from the very best.

DOCTOR: (smug) Well, yeah.

RIVER: It's a shame you were busy that day. (picks up shoes) Right then, why did they land here? (heads for door)

DOCTOR: They didn't land.

RIVER: Sorry?

DOCTOR: You should've checked the Home Box - it crashed. (follows)

RIVER steps outside and the DOCTOR closes the door behind her before heading back to the console.

AMY: Explain! Who is that and how did she do that museum thing?

DOCTOR: (works the controls) It's a long story and I don't know most of it. Off we go!

AMY: What are you doing?

DOCTOR: Leaving. She's got where she wants to go, let's go where we want to go.

AMY: Are you basically running away?

DOCTOR: Yep.

AMY: Why?

DOCTOR: Cos she's the future, my future.

AMY: Can you run away from that?

DOCTOR: I can run away from anything I like. Time is not the boss of me.

AMY: Hang on, is that a planet out there?

DOCTOR: Yes, of course it's a planet.

AMY: You promised me a planet. Five minutes?

DOCTOR: (gives in) OK, five minutes!

AMY: Yes! (heads for the door)

DOCTOR: But that's all, cos I'm telling you now, that woman is not dragging me into anything! (follows AMY to the door)

EXT. BEACH, DAY

The ship they were following has crashed on top of a very large and very old stone structure. It is burning in areas and bits of debris have fallen to the ground around the TARDIS. The DOCTOR, AMY and RIVER stand there, looking up at it.

RIVER: What caused it to crash? Not me.

DOCTOR: Nah, the airlock would've sealed seconds after you blew it. According to the Home Box, the warp engines had a phase-shift. No survivors.

RIVER: A phase-shift would have to be sabotage. I did warn them.

DOCTOR: About what?

RIVER: Well, at least the building was empty. Aplan temple. Unoccupied for centuries. (begins to key something into a handheld device)

The DOCTOR walks back to AMY.

AMY: Aren't you going to introduce us?

DOCTOR: Amy Pond, Professor River Song.

RIVER: (faces them) Ahhh, I'm going to be a Professor some day, am I? (the DOCTOR winces at this slip) How exciting! (chuckles) Spoilers! (turns her attention back to what she was doing)

AMY: (whispers) Yeah, but who is she and how did she do that? She just left you a note in a museum!

The DOCTOR walks off.

RIVER: Two things always guaranteed to show up in a museum: The Home Box of category four starliner and, sooner or later, him. It's how he keeps score.

AMY: I know. (laughs)

RIVER: It's hilarious, isn't it?

DOCTOR: (comes up behind them with sarcastic laugh) I'm nobody's taxi service! (to RIVER) I'm not gonna be there to catch you every time you feel like jumping out of a space ship.

RIVER: And you are so wrong. There's one survivor. There's a thing in the belly of that ship that can't ever die. Now he's listening! (into device) You lot in orbit yet? Yeah, I saw it land. I'm at the crash site. Try and home in on my signal. (holds up device) Doctor, can you sonic me? I need to boost the signal so we can use it as a beacon.

The DOCTOR takes out the sonic screwdriver and uses it on RIVER'S communication device. She drops a small curtsey.

AMY: Ooh, Doctor! You soniced her(!)

RIVER: (calls) We have a minute. Shall we? (opens her diary) Where were we up to? Have we done the Bone Meadows?

AMY: What's the book?

DOCTOR: Stay away from it.

AMY: What is it though?

DOCTOR: Her diary.

RIVER: Our diary.

DOCTOR: Her past, my...future. Time travel. We keep meeting in the wrong order.

Four columns of swirling "dust" appear then turn into four soldiers in desert camouflage uniforms. One of the soldiers approaches RIVER.

SOLDIER: You promised me an army, Doctor Song.

RIVER: No. I promised you the equivalent of an army. This is the Doctor. (DOCTOR gives lighthearted salute)

OCTAVIAN: (shakes DOCTOR'S hand) Father Octavian, sir. Bishop, second class. 20 clerics at my command. The troops are already in the drop ship and landing shortly. Doctor Song was helping us with a covert investigation. Has Doctor Song explained what we're dealing with?

RIVER: Doctor, what do you know of the Weeping Angels?

The DOCTOR faces her quickly, immediately tense.

EXT. BEACH, NIGHT

A transport ship has arrived and the soldiers have already set up camp. OCTAVIAN strides across the ground followed by the DOCTOR and AMY

OCTAVIAN: The Angel, as far as we know, is still trapped in the ship. Our mission is to get inside and neutralise it. We can't get through up top, we'd be too close to the drives. According to this, (Shows handheld device) behind the cliff face, there's a network of catacombs leading right up to the temple. We can blow through the base of the cliffs, get into the entrance chamber, then make our way up.

DOCTOR: Oh, good.

OCTAVIAN: Good, sir?

DOCTOR: Catacombs, probably dark ones. Dark catacombs, great(!)

OCTAVIAN: Technically, I think it's called a maze of the dead.

DOCTOR: You can stop any time you like.

SOLDIER: Father Octavian?

OCTAVIAN: Excuse me, sir.

The DOCTOR waves off OCTAVIAN as he leaves. He then uses the screwdriver on some of the equipment set up on the table.

AMY: You're letting people call you "sir". You never do that. (sits on table) So, whatever a Weeping Angel is, it's really bad, yeah?

DOCTOR: Now that's interesting... (to AMY) You're still here. Which part of "Wait in the TARDIS till I tell you it's safe" was so confusing?

AMY: Ooh, are you all Mr Grumpy Face today?

DOCTOR: A Weeping Angel, Amy, is the deadliest, most powerful, most malevolent life form evolution has ever produced, and one is trapped inside that wreckage and I'm supposed to climb in with a screwdriver and a torch--and assuming I survive the radiation, and the whole ship doesn't blow up in my face--do something clever which I haven't actually thought of yet. That's my day, that's what I'm up to. Any questions?

AMY: Is River Song your wife? Cos she's someone from your future, and the way she talks to you, I've never seen anyone do that. She's kinda like, you know, "Heel, boy!" She's Mrs Doctor from the future, isn't she? Is she gonna be your wife one day?

DOCTOR: Yes. You're right. I am definitely Mr Grumpy Face today.

RIVER: (calls from transport) Doctor? Doctor!

AMY: Oops! Her indoors!

RIVER: Father Octavian!

The three of them walk to the transport.

AMY: Why do they call them Father?

DOCTOR: He's their Bishop, they're his clerics. It's the 51st Century, the Church has moved on.

INT. TRANSPORT SHIP

On a screen we see black and white footage of a Weeping Angel, its body at an angle to us, hands over its eyes. RIVER is controlling the video with a remote.

RIVER: What do you think? It's from the security cameras in the Byzantium vault. I ripped it when I was on board. Sorry about the quality. It's four seconds. I've put it on loop.

DOCTOR: Yeah, it's an Angel. Hands covering its face.

OCTAVIAN: You've encountered the Angels before?

DOCTOR: Once, on Earth, a long time ago. But those were scavengers, barely surviving.

AMY: It's just a statue.

RIVER: It's a statue when you see it.

DOCTOR: Where did it come from?

RIVER: Oh, pulled from the ruins of Razbahan, end of last century. It's been in private hands ever since, dormant all that time.

DOCTOR: There's a difference between dormant and patient.

AMY: What's that mean, it's a statue when you see it?

RIVER: The Weeping Angels can only move if they're unseen. So legend has it.

DOCTOR: No, it's not legend, it's a quantum lock. In the sight of any living creature, the Angels literally cease to exist. They're just stone. The ultimate defence mechanism.

AMY: What, being a stone?

DOCTOR: Being a stone...until you turn your back.

EXT. BEACH, NIGHT

The DOCTOR leads the others out of the transport.

DOCTOR: The hyperdrive would've split on impact. The whole ship will be flooded with radiation, cracked electrons, gravity storms, deadly to almost any living thing.

OCTAVIAN: Deadly to an Angel?

DOCTOR: Dinner to an Angel. The longer we leave it, the stronger it will grow. Who built that temple? Are they still around?

RIVER: (reading handheld) The Aplans. The indigenous life-form. They d*ed out 400 years ago.

OCTAVIAN: 200 years later, the planet was terraformed. Currently there are six billion human colonists.

DOCTOR: You lot, you're everywhere! Like rabbits! I'll never get done saving you.

OCTAVIAN: Sir, if there is a clear and present danger to the local population...

DOCTOR: Oh, there is. Bad as it gets. Bishop, lock and load!

OCTAVIAN: Verger, how we doing with those expl*sives? Dr Song, with me.

RIVER: Two minutes. Sweetie, I need you.

The DOCTOR mouths "Sweetie" then realizes RIVER means him and goes to her. AMY stands in the transport entry.

AMY: Anybody need me? Nobody? (crosses her arms)

INT. TRANSPORT SHIP

AMY slowly moves forward, entranced by the Angel on the screen. Since the last time they looked, it has now moved its hands away from its face.

EXT. BEACH, NIGHT

RIVER shows the DOCTOR a book.

RIVER: I found this. Definitive work on the Angels. Well, the only one. Written by a madman, it's barely readable, but I've marked a few passages.

DOCTOR: (finishes the book) Not bad, bit slow in the middle, didn't you hate his girlfriend? No, hang on, wait, wait! (sniffs book)

AMY: (pops her head out of the transport) Dr. Song? Did you have more than one clip of the Angel?

RIVER: No, just the four seconds.

Puzzled, AMY goes back inside.

DOCTOR: This book is wrong! What's wrong with this book, it's wrong.

INT. TRANSPORT SHIP

AMY looks at the video again and now the Angel is facing forward, hands down at its side. AMY bends over and peers closely at the time code. It loops from 11:24 to 11:28 yet the position of the Angel changes. Engrossed, AMY doesn't notice the door close and lock behind her.

EXT. BEACH, NIGHT

RIVER observes the DOCTOR as he examines the book.

RIVER: Oh, it's so strange when you go all baby-face. How early is this for you? (holds journal)

DOCTOR: Very early.

RIVER: So you don't know who I am yet?

DOCTOR: How do you know who I am? I don't always look the same.

RIVER: I've got pictures of all your faces. You never show up in the right order though. I need the spotter's guide.

DOCTOR: Pictures? Why aren't there pictures?

INT. TRANSPORT SHIP

AMY picks up the remote for the video and tried to turn it off but it keeps coming back on. She sets the remote down and peers at the screen.

AMY: You're just a recording. You can't move.

She looks away to unplug the power source, and when she looks back, the Angel's face is close to the camera. She backs away to the door.

AMY: Doctor!

She tries to open the door but it won't budge. She looks back at the screen to see the Angel with its mouth open in full predatory mode.

EXT. BEACH, NIGHT

DOCTOR: This whole book - it's a warning, about the Weeping Angels. So why no pictures? Why not show us what to look out for?

RIVER: There was a bit about images.

DOCTOR: Yes! Hang on... (flips through book) 'That which holds the image of an angel becomes itself an angel.'

INT. TRANSPORT SHIP

AMY spares another look at the screen as she tries to open the door.

EXT. BEACH, NIGHT

RIVER: What does that mean? "An image of a Angel becomes itself an Angel."

INT. TRANSPORT SHIP

AMY looks to see an image of the Angel becoming solid in the center of the transport.

AMY: Doctor! It's in the room!

EXT. BEACH, NIGHT

DOCTOR: Amy! (runs to the transport)

INT. TRANSPORT SHIP

AMY: (punches keypad) Doctor!

EXT. BEACH, NIGHT

DOCTOR: (runs up to the door) Are you all right? What's happening?

INT. TRANSPORT SHIP

AMY: Doctor! Doctor, it's coming out of the television.

EXT. BEACH, NIGHT

AMY: (V.O.) The Angel is here.

DOCTOR: Don't take your eyes off it! (takes out sonic screwdriver and uses it on keypad) It can't move if you're looking. What's wrong? It's deadlocked.

RIVER: (trying to override controls) There is no deadlock.

DOCTOR: Don't blink, Amy! Don't even blink!

INT. TRANSPORT SHIP

EXT. BEACH, NIGHT

RIVER: What are you doing?

DOCTOR: Cutting the power. It's using the screen, I'm turning the screen off. It's no good, it's deadlocked the whole system.

RIVER: There's no deadlock.

DOCTOR: There is now!

AMY: (V.O.) Help me!

DOCTOR: Amy! Can you turn it off?

INT. TRANSPORT SHIP

EXT. BEACH, NIGHT

DOCTOR: The screen, can you turn it off?

INT. TRANSPORT SHIP

AMY: I tried.

DOCTOR: (V.O.) Try again but

EXT. BEACH, NIGHT

DOCTOR: don't take your eyes off the Angel.

INT. TRANSPORT SHIP

AMY: I'm not!

EXT. BEACH, NIGHT

The DOCTOR and RIVER are still trying to override the controls.

DOCTOR: Each time it moves, it'll move faster. Don't even blink.

INT. TRANSPORT SHIP

AMY: I'm not blinking! Have you ever tried not blinking? (winks)

AMY fumbles for the remote without taking her eyes off the Angel. She grabs it and backs away to the door and tries to switch it off again. It turns itself back on.

AMY: It just keeps switching back on!

EXT. BEACH, NIGHT

DOCTOR: Yeah, it's the Angel.

INT. TRANSPORT SHIP

AMY: But it's just a recording.

EXT. BEACH, NIGHT

DOCTOR: No, anything that takes the image of an Angel is an Angel. (to RIVER) What are you doing?

RIVER: (using small blowtorch) I'm trying to cut through. It's not even warm.

DOCTOR: There is no way in, it's not physically possible.

INT. TRANSPORT SHIP

AMY: Doctor! What's it gonna do to me?

EXT. BEACH, NIGHT

DOCTOR: Just keep looking at it. Don't stop looking!

INT. TRANSPORT SHIP

AMY: Just tell me.

EXT. BEACH, NIGHT

AMY: (V.O.) Just tell me. Tell me!

The DOCTOR runs for the book and brings it back to just outside the transport door where he sits.

DOCTOR: Amy, not the eyes.

INT. TRANSPORT SHIP

DOCTOR: (V.O.) Look anywhere but don't look at the eyes.

AMY: (looking in its eyes) Why?

RIVER: What is it?

DOCTOR: "The eyes are not the windows of the soul, they are the doors. Beware what may enter there."

INT. TRANSPORT SHIP

AMY: Doctor, what did you say?

DOCTOR: (V.O.) Don't look at the eyes!

AMY: No, about images, what did you say about images?

EXT. BEACH, NIGHT

RIVER: Whatever holds the image

INT. TRANSPORT SHIP

RIVER: (V.O.) of an angel, is an angel.

AMY: OK... Hold this. (holds out the remote) One, two, three, four... (hits the pause button while there's static)

The image of the Angel freezes before turning off, the door opens and the DOCTOR and RIVER come in. The DOCTOR unplugs the screen.

AMY: I froze it! There was a sort of blip on the tape and I froze it on the blip. It wasn't the image of an angel any more. That was good, yeah? It was, wasn't it? That was pretty good.

RIVER: That was amazing!

DOCTOR: River, hug Amy.

RIVER: Why?

DOCTOR: Cos I'm busy.

AMY: I'm fine.

RIVER: You're brilliant!

AMY: Thanks. Yeah. I kind of creamed it, didn't I?

RIVER: So it was here? That was the Angel?

DOCTOR: That was a projection of the Angel. It's reaching out, getting a good look at us. It's no longer dormant.
EXT. BEACH, NIGHT

The soldiers have set off an expl*si*n.

INT. TRANSPORT SHIP

The DOCTOR, AMY and RIVER react to the expl*si*n and the DOCTOR runs to the door.

EXT. BEACH, NIGHT

SOLDIER: (to OCTAVIAN) It's gone positive!

OCTAVIAN: Doctor! We're through!

INT. TRANSPORT SHIP

DOCTOR: (looks at AMY and RIVER) OK. Now it starts. (goes outside)

AMY rubs her left eye.

RIVER: (heads for door) Coming?

AMY: Yeah, coming. There's just...something in my eye.

INT. MAZE OF THE DEAD, MAIN CHAMBER

The DOCTOR climbs down a rope ladder and joins OCTAVIAN at the bottom. They both turn on their torches and look around. AMY and RIVER join them and the other soldiers.

DOCTOR: Do we have a gravity globe?

OCTAVIAN: Grav globe.

One of the soldiers takes out a sphere from his pack and hands it to OCTAVIAN.

AMY: Where are we? What is this?

RIVER: It's an Aplan mortarium. Sometimes called a maze of the dead.

AMY: And what's that?

DOCTOR: Well, if you happen to be a creature of living stone...(kicks the gravity sphere like a football and it rises into the air, stops and then lights up the cave showing a large number of stone statues) the perfect hiding place.

OCTAVIAN: I guess this makes it a bit trickier.

DOCTOR: A bit, yeah.

OCTAVIAN: A stone angel on the loose amongst stone statues. A lot harder than I'd prayed for.

RIVER: A needle in a haystack.

DOCTOR: A needle that looks like hay. A hay-like needle. Of death. A hay-alike needle of death in a haystack of, er, statues. No, yours was fine.

OCTAVIAN: Right. Check every single statue in this chamber. You know what you're looking for. Complete visual inspection. One question - how do we fight it?

DOCTOR: We find it, and hope. (goes off and AMY follows)

RIVER goes to follow the DOCTOR but OCTAVIAN grabs her by the arm.

OCTAVIAN: He doesn't know yet, does he? Who and what you are.

RIVER: It's too early in his time stream.

OCTAVIAN: Well, make sure he doesn't work it out, or he's not gonna help us.

RIVER: I won't let you down. Believe you me, I have no intention of going back to prison.

SOLDIER: Sir? Side chamber. One visible exit.

OCTAVIAN: Check it out. Angelo, go with him.

The two soldiers go to check out the chamber.

INT. MAZE OF THE DEAD, UPWARD PASSAGE

The DOCTOR shines his torch in every direction. AMY follows. She stops and looks at the many levels above them and all the statues lining the way. She rubs the corner of her eye with one finger and finds a little grit. She then uses her full hand and sand and grit comes out through her fingers. Scared, she stops and looks at her hand but sees nothing. RIVER comes up beside her.

RIVER: You all right?

AMY: Yeah, I'm fine. So, what's a maze of the dead?

RIVER: Oh, it's not as bad as it sounds. It's just a labyrinth with dead people buried in the walls. OK, that was fairly bad. Right give me your arm. (shows syringe) This won't hurt a bit. (gives AMY a sh*t)

AMY: Ow!

RIVER: There, you see. I lied. It's a viro-stabiliser. Stabilises your metabolism against radiation, drive burn, anything. You're going to need it when we get
up to that ship.

AMY: So what's he like? In the future, I mean. Cos you know him in the future, don't you?

RIVER: The Doctor? Well, the Doctor's the Doctor.

AMY: Oh, well that's very helpful. Mind if I write that down?

RIVER: Yes, we are.

DOCTOR: (taking readings with RIVER'S device) Sorry, what?

RIVER: Talking about you.

DOCTOR: I wasn't listening, I'm busy.

RIVER: Ah. The other way up.

The DOCTOR turns the device the other way round and looks over at RIVER who merely raises her eyebrows.

DOCTOR: Yeah.

AMY: You're so his wife.

RIVER: Oh, Amy, Amy, Amy! This is the Doctor we're talking about. Do you really think it could be anything that simple?

AMY: Yep.

RIVER: You're good. I'm not saying you're right... but you are very good.

INT. MAZE OF THE DEAD, SIDE CHAMBER

ANGELO and the other CLERIC are searching the dark chamber.

CLERIC: Can you believe this? We're hunting statues.

ANGELO: Better than chasing lava snakes.

CLERIC: Actually, lava snakes weren't that bad.

The CLERIC moves ahead through the cave out of ANGELO'S sight. He moves ahead slowly then the torch on his r*fle begins to flicker. He hears the sound of stone against stone.

CLERIC: Who's there? Is someone there? Angelo? (turns his head) Angelo! (he looks back to be confronted by an Angel. His light goes out)

ANGELO is further back in the chamber.

ANGELO: Christian, is that you?

CHRISTIAN: (over radio)
Angelo, come and see this.

ANGELO: What is it?

Just come and see it.

ANGELO: It's not a school trip. Just tell me.

No, really, come and see.

ANGELO follows CHRISTIAN and is att*cked by an Angel.

The DOCTOR, AMY and RIVER are examining the statues when they hear g*nf*re. They run back down to the main chamber.

INT. MAZE OF THE DEAD, MAIN CHAMBER

A young cleric had fired his w*apon at one of the statues. The DOCTOR stops to look at it.

YOUNG CLERIC: Sorry. Sorry, I thought... I thought it looked at me.

OCTAVIAN: We know what the Angel looks like. Is that the Angel?

YOUNG CLERIC: No, sir.

OCTAVIAN: No, sir, it is not! According to the Doctor, we are facing an enemy of unknowable power and infinite evil. So it would be good, it would be very good, if we could all remain calm in the presence of decor.

DOCTOR: What's your name?

BOB: Bob, sir.

DOCTOR: Ah, that's a great name. I love Bob.

OCTAVIAN: It's a Sacred Name. We all have Sacred Names, they're given to us in the service of the Church.

DOCTOR: (joins BOB and OCTAVIAN) Sacred Bob. More like Scared Bob now, eh?

BOB: Yes, sir.

DOCTOR: Ah, good. Scared keeps you fast. Anyone in this room who isn't scared is a moron. Carry on.

OCTAVIAN: We'll be moving into the maze in two minutes. (to BOB) You stay with Christian and Angelo. Guard the approach.

AMY: Isn't there a chance this lot's just gonna collapse? There's a whole ship up there.

RIVER: Incredible builders, the Aplans.

DOCTOR: Had dinner with their chief architect once. Two heads are better than one.

AMY: You mean you helped him?

DOCTOR: No, I mean he had two heads. That book, the very end, what did it say?

RIVER: Hang on. (gets book out of pack)

DOCTOR: Read it to me.

RIVER: "What if we had ideas that could think for themselves? What if one day our dreams no longer needed us? When these things occur and are held to be true, the time will be upon us. The time of Angels."

BOB: (over radio)
Hey, Angelo. Christian? Where are you?

As BOB speaks, we see the bodies of ANGELO and CHRISTIAN and then the shadow of an Angel.

AMY: Are we there yet? It's a hell of a climb.

RIVER: The maze is on six levels representing the ascent of the soul. Only two levels to go.

DOCTOR: Lovely species, the Aplans. We should visit them some time.

AMY: I thought they were all dead?

DOCTOR: So's Virginia Woolf. I'm on her bowling team. Very relaxed, sort of cheerful. That's having two heads. You're never short of a snog with an extra head.

RIVER: Doctor, there's something. I don't know what it is...

DOCTOR: Yeah, something wrong. Don't know what it is yet either, working on it. Then they started having laws against self-marrying and what was that about? But that's the church for you. Erm, no offence, Bishop.

OCTAVIAN: Quite a lot taken, if that's all right, Doctor.

They are now in a narrow passage lined with statues.

OCTAVIAN: Lowest point in the wreckage is only about 50 feet up from here. That way.

AMY: Church had a point, if you think about it. The divorces must have been messy.

DOCTOR: (stops and looks closely at a statue) Oh!

AMY: What's wrong?

RIVER: (in realization) Oh. (stares at the DOCTOR)

DOCTOR: Exactly.

RIVER: How could we not notice that?

DOCTOR: Low level perception filter, or maybe we're thick.

OCTAVIAN: What's wrong, sir?

DOCTOR: Nobody move. Everyone stay exactly where they are. Bishop, I am truly sorry. I've made a mistake and we are all in danger.

OCTAVIAN: What danger?

RIVER: The Aplans.

OCTAVIAN: The Aplans?

RIVER: They've got two heads.

OCTAVIAN: Yes, I get that. So?

DOCTOR: So why don't the statues? Everyone, over there. Just move, don't ask questions, don't speak. (everyone moves to a spot where there are no statues) OK. I want you all to switch off your torches.

OCTAVIAN: Sir?

DOCTOR: Just do it. (they turn off their torches) OK. I'm going to turn off this one too, just for a moment.

RIVER: Are you sure about this?

DOCTOR: No.

The Doctor switches off his torch for a split second and the statues in front of them are now facing them. The DOCTOR runs ahead.

AMY: Oh, my God! They've moved.

The others follow after the DOCTOR as he looks at all the statues lining their way to the ship.

DOCTOR: They're Angels. All of them!

RIVER: But they can't be.

DOCTOR: Clerics, keep watching them. (backtracks and sees the Angels have moved forward) Every statue in this maze, every single one, is a Weeping Angel. They're coming after us.

BOB is in the chamber looking for ANGELO and CHRISTIAN.

ANGELO: (over radio)
Bob, come and see this.

BOB: Angelo?

Come and see what we've found.

BOB: Are you with Christian? The Bishop said you'd be five minutes.

I'm here, Bob. Come and see this.

BOB: Where are you?

Through the arch, Bob. Honestly, you've got to come and see this.

BOB: What have you found?

Come and see.

BOB: No. What is it?

Come and see.

BOB walks forward through the archway. He is att*cked by the Angel

RIVER: There was only one Angel on the ship. Just the one, I swear.

AMY: Could they have been here already?

DOCTOR: The Aplans, how did they die out?

RIVER: Nobody knows.

DOCTOR: We know.

OCTAVIAN: They don't look like Angels.

AMY: And they're not fast. You said they were fast. They should have had us by now.

DOCTOR: They're dying. Losing their form. They must have been down here for centuries, starving.

AMY: Losing their image.

DOCTOR: And their image is their power. Power. Power!

DOCTOR: Don't you see? All that radiation spilling out, the drive burn. The crash wasn't an accident - it was a rescue mission, for the Angels. We're in the middle of an army and it's waking up.

RIVER: We need to get out of here fast.

OCTAVIAN: (into radio)
Bob, Angelo, Christian, come in, please. Any of you, come in!

It's Bob, sir. Sorry, sir.

OCTAVIAN: (into radio)
Bob, are Angelo and Christian with you? All the statues are active. I repeat, all the statues are active!

I know, sir. Angelo and Christian are dead, sir. The statues k*lled them, sir.

DOCTOR: (into radio)
(takes the radio from OCTAVIAN) Bob, Sacred Bob, it's me, the Doctor. Where are you now?

OCTAVIAN: I'm talking to my...

DOCTOR: Yeah, yeah, yeah, shut up!

I'm on my way up to you, sir, I'm homing on your signal.

Well done, Bob. Scared keeps you fast, told you, didn't I? Your friends, Bob, what did the Angel do to them?

Snapped their necks, sir.

DOCTOR: That's odd. That's not how the Angels k*ll you, they displace you in time. Unless they needed the bodies for something.

OCTAVIAN: (takes radio from DOCTOR) Bob, did you check their data packs for vital signs? We may be able to initiate a rescue plan.

DOCTOR: (takes radio)(to OCTAVIAN) Don't be an idiot! The Angels don't leave you alive! (to BOB) Bob, keep running, but tell me, how did you escape?

I didn't escape, sir. The Angel k*lled me, too.

They look at each other wondering what BOB means

What do you mean the Angel k*lled you too?

Snapped my neck, sir. Wasn't as painless as I expected but it was pretty quick, so that was something.

If you're dead, how can I be talking to you?

You're not talking to me, sir. The Angel has no voice. It stripped my cerebral cortex from my body and re-animated a version of my consciousness to communicate with you. Sorry about the confusion.

So when you say you're on your way up to us...

It's the Angel that's coming, sir, yes.

DOCTOR: No way out.

OCTAVIAN: Then we get out through the wreckage. Go!

DOCTOR: Go, go, go. All of you run!

DOCTOR: Yes, I'm coming, just go, go, go!

AMY and RIVER leave with the clerics. Only the DOCTOR and OCTAVIAN remain.

DOCTOR: Called you an idiot. Sorry, but there's no way we could have rescued your men.

OCTAVIAN: I know that, sir. And when you've flown away in your little blue box, I'll explain that to their families. (walks off)

Angel Bob, which Angel am I talking to? The one from the ship?

ANGEL BOB: (over radio)
Yes, sir. The other Angels are still restoring.

Ah, so the Angel is not in the wreckage. Thank you. (runs along the passage and sees AMY) Don't wait for me, go, run.

AMY: I can't! (the DOCTOR comes back to help her) No, really I can't.

DOCTOR: Why not?

AMY: Look at it. Look at my hand. It's stone! (her hand grips the rail and looks like stone)

INT. MAZE OF THE DEAD, AT THE BYSANTIUM

Further along the passage, RIVER, OCTAVIAN and the clerics arrive at an open chamber and can see the ship above them.

OCTAVIAN: Well. There it is - the Byzantium.

RIVER: Well, it's got to be 30 feet. How do we get up there?

OCTAVIAN: Check all these exits. I want them all secure.

The DOCTOR is examining AMY, flashing a torch in her eyes.

DOCTOR: You looked into the eyes of an Angel, didn't you?

AMY: I couldn't stop myself. I tried.

DOCTOR: Listen. It's messing with your head. Your hand is not made of stone.

AMY: It is. Look at it!

DOCTOR: It's in your mind. I promise you. You can move that hand. You can let go.

AMY: I can't, OK? I've tried and I can't. It's stone.

The torchlight begins to flicker.

DOCTOR: The Angel is gonna come and it's gonna turn this light off, and then there's nothing I can do to stop it. So do it, concentrate, move your hand!

AMY: I can't.

DOCTOR: Then we're both going to die.

AMY: You're not going to die.

DOCTOR: They'll k*ll the lights.

The light flickers off and the Angels move closer.

AMY: You've got to go, you know you have. You've got all that stuff with River and that's all got to happen. You know you can't die here!

DOCTOR: Time can be re-written, it doesn't work like that.

The light flickers again. AMY turns to look at the Angels.

DOCTOR: Keep your eyes on it. Don't blink.

AMY: Run!

DOCTOR: You see, I'm not going, I'm not leaving you here.

AMY: I don't need you to die for me, Doctor, do I look that clingy?

DOCTOR: You can move your hand.

AMY: It's stone.

DOCTOR: It's not stone!

AMY: Those people up there will die without you. If you stay here with me, you'll have as good as k*lled them.

DOCTOR: Amy Pond, you are magnificent. And I'm sorry.

AMY: It's OK. I understand. You've got to leave me.

DOCTOR: Oh, no, I'm not leaving you, never. I'm sorry about this. (bites her hand and she screams, moving it) See, not stone. Now run!

AMY: You bit me!

DOCTOR: Yep and you're alive.

AMY: I've got a mark! Look at my hand!

DOCTOR: (pulls her behind him) Yeah, and you're alive, did I mention?

AMY: Blimey, your teeth! Have you got space teeth?

DOCTOR: Alive. All I'm saying.

They run.

INT. MAZE OF THE DEAD, AT THE BYSANTIUM

One of the clerics sent to check the passages returns.

CLERIC: The statues are advancing along all corridors. And, sir, my torch keeps flickering.

OCTAVIAN: They all do.

RIVER: So does the gravity globe.

OCTAVIAN: Clerics, we're down to four men. Expect incoming.

DOCTOR: Yeah, it's the Angels. They're coming. And they're draining the power for themselves.

OCTAVIAN: Which means we won't be able to see them.

DOCTOR: Which means we can't stay here.

OCTAVIAN: There are more incoming!

RIVER: Any suggestions?

OCTAVIAN: The statues are advancing on all sides and we don't have the climbing equipment to reach the Byzantium.

RIVER: There's no way up, no way back, no way out. No pressure, but this is usually when you have a really good idea.

DOCTOR: There's always a way out. (echoes)

The lights flicker off again and when they come back on, the Angels are closer, basically blocking the passage.

DOCTOR: There's always a way out.

Doctor? Can I speak to the Doctor, please?

Hello, Angels. What's your problem?

Your power will not last much longer, and the Angels will be with you shortly. Sorry, sir.

Why are you telling me this?

There's something the Angels are very keen you should know before the end.

Which is?

I d*ed in fear.

I'm sorry?

You told me my fear would keep me alive but I d*ed afraid, in pain and alone. You made me trust you, and when it mattered, you let me down.

AMY: (whispers to RIVER) What are they doing?

RIVER: (whispers to AMY) They're trying to make him angry.

I'm sorry, sir. The Angels were very keen for you to know that.

Well then, the Angels have made their second mistake because I'm not going to let that pass. I'm sorry you're dead, Bob, but I swear to whatever is left of you, they will be sorrier.

But you're trapped, sir, and about to die.

Yeah, I'm trapped. Speaking of traps, this trap has got a great big mistake in it. A great big, whopping mistake!

What mistake, sir?

DOCTOR: (to AMY) Trust me?

AMY: Yeah.

DOCTOR: (to RIVER) Trust me?

RIVER: Always.

DOCTOR: (to OCTAVIAN) You lot - trust me?

CLERIC: (watching passage) Sir, two more incoming!

OCTAVIAN: We have faith, sir.

DOCTOR: Then give me your g*n. (OCTAVIAN gives him the g*n) I'm about to do something incredibly stupid and dangerous. When I do... (he jumps in place) jump.

OCTAVIAN: Jump where?

DOCTOR: Just jump, high as you can. Come on, leap of faith, Bishop. On my signal.

OCTAVIAN: What signal?

DOCTOR: You won't miss it. (aims the g*n at the roof)

Sorry, can I ask again? You mentioned a mistake?

Oh, big mistake. Huge. There's one thing you never put in a trap, if you're smart, if you value your continued existence, if you have any plans about seeing tomorrow, there is one thing you never, ever put in a trap.

And what would that be, sir?

DOCTOR: Me!

The DOCTOR fires at the gravity globe and it explodes.

TO BE CONTINUED