06x02 - Day of the Moon

Episode transcripts for the 2005 TV show "Doctor Who". (Ninth to Twelfth Doctor)*
Time and Space traveling adventures of a Gallifreyan Time Lord only known as "the Doctor" and his companions.

Watch/Buy Amazon  Merchandise  Collectibles

Classic Who   Specials  

06x02 - Day of the Moon

Post by bunniefuu »

RECAP of "The Impossible Astronaut"

EXT. VALLEY of the GODS, UTAH, DAY

3 Months Later…July, 1969
AMY is running through the desert, two cars chasing her. She has a pen on a lanyard around her neck.

AGENT 1: Suspect directly ahead.

CANTON: Coming to you now. Over.

AMY stops at the edge of a small ledge. The two cars converge behind her and a number of agents step out, CANTON in front.

AMY: Canton.

CANTON: Miss Pond.

CANTON motions to one of the other agents who spreads something out on the ground.

AMY: Is that a body bag?

CANTON: Yes, it is.

AMY: It's empty.

CANTON: How about that.

AMY: Do you even know why you're doing this, eh? Can you even remember? The warehouse?

FLASHBACK

INT. WAREHOUSE, NIGHT

AMY helps CANTON while AMY stares at the GIRL in the spacesuit.

DOCTOR: Amy! Amy!

RORY and RIVER climb up from the tunnels and they all rush for the TARDIS.

CANTON: What the hell's going on?

DOCTOR: Look behind you.

CANTON: There's nothing behind me!

DOCTOR: Look! Canton, look!

CANTON turns and sees one of the aliens walking towards him.

CANTON fires and AMY falls to the ground. There are tally marks in pen on her arm.

INT. AREA 51, DAY

Inside a large hanger, there are armed guards stationed around an open area in the middle. CANTON walks up to it, past signs that read: Do Not Approach The Prisoner. The prisoner in question is the DOCTOR. His hair is longer and he now has a beard. He is in a straightjacket and is chained to a chair. There is a yellow circle painted around him.

PA: All visitors to remain behind the yellow line. All visitors to remain behind the yellow line.

CANTON: We found Amy Pond. She had strange markings on her arm. (holds up photo) Do you know what they are? (throws the folder closer so the DOCTOR can see it)

DOCTOR: Why don't you ask her?

CANTON doesn't answer and the DOCTOR realizes what happened.

INT. OFFICE BUILDING, NEW YORK CITY, NIGHT

RIVER is in an office under construction. She also has tally marks on her arms. She walks through nervously and gasps when she hears a pipe fall. There are more aliens.

RIVER: I see you! (takes out pen and marks her arm) I see you!

CANTON and his fellow agents arrive.

CANTON: Doctor Song.

RIVER turns around.

CANTON: Doctor Song?

RIVER looks back and the aliens are gone. She runs.

CANTON: Go, go, go!

RIVER stops when she reaches the open side of the building.

CANTON: Don't move! It's over!

RIVER: They're here, Canton. They're everywhere.

CANTON: I know. America's being invaded.

RIVER: You were invaded a long time ago. America is occupied.

CANTON: You're coming with us, Dr Song. There's no way out, this time.

RIVER: There's always a way out.

Arms outstretched, RIVER falls backwards out of the building.

INT. AREA 51, DAY

Two scientists are building a wall of black stone around the DOCTOR. He watches with some interest.

CANTON: We found Dr Song.

DOCTOR: (watches builders) These bricks, what are they made of? Where is she?

CANTON: She ran. Off the 50th floor.

DOCTOR: I'd say zero balanced dwarf star alloy. The densest material in the universe. Nothing gets through that. You're building me the perfect prison. (faces CANTON) And it still won't be enough.

EXT. GLEN CANYON DAM, AZ, DAY

RORY bursts out of a door onto the road across the dam to find both sides blocked by agents. His face, arms and neck are covered with tally marks. He looks over the side, contemplating a jump. He puts up his hands and turns to face CANTON.

RORY: What are you waiting for?

CANTON: I'm waiting for you to run. (RORY lowers his arms) It'll look better if I sh*t you while you were running. Then again, looks aren't everything.

CANTON raises his g*n as RORY closes his eyes. There is a g*nsh*t and RORY falls to the ground.

INT. AREA 51, CELL, DAY

CANTON walks into the hanger, two soldiers dragging body bags. The DOCTOR'S cell is complete. The soldiers drag the bags inside.

DOCTOR: Is there a reason you're doing this?

CANTON: I want you to know where you stand.

DOCTOR: In a cell.

CANTON: In the perfect cell. (the soldiers leave) Nothing can penetrate these walls. Not a sound, not a radio wave. (inserts his fingers into holes in the wall and the door slides shut) Not the tiniest particle of anything. In here, you are literally cut off from the rest of the universe. So I guess they can't hear us, right?

DOCTOR: Good work, Canton. Door sealed?

CANTON: You bet.

The DOCTOR stands and shakes off the chains and removes the straightjacket just as the body bags sit up. The DOCTOR unzips RORY'S bag.

DOCTOR: You OK?

CANTON helps AMY.

AMY: Finally.

RORY: These things could really do with air holes.

CANTON: Never had a complaint before.

The DOCTOR stretches his arms as AMY climbs out of the bag.

AMY: Isn't it going to look odd that you're staying in here with us?

CANTON: Odd, but not alarming. They know there's no way out of this place.

DOCTOR: Exactly. Whatever they might think we're doing in here, they know we're not going anywhere.

With a snap of his braces, the DOCTOR leans to the side and on the TARDIS. He snaps his fingers and the doors open.

DOCTOR: Shall we?

With a smile, AMY follows RORY into the TARDIS.

CANTON: (following AMY) What about Dr Song?

INT. TARDIS

CANTON: She dove off a rooftop!

DOCTOR: Don't worry. She does that. (closes TARDIS doors and runs to the console) Amy, Rory, open all the doors to the swimming pool.

AMY and RORY go to do as they're told.

INT. OFFICE BUILDING, NEW YORK CITY, NIGHT

RIVER turns her fall into a dive and goes through the open TARDIS doors. Water splashes up.

INT. TARDIS

The DOCTOR walks around the console, using the controls.

DOCTOR: So, we know they're everywhere. Not just a landing party, an occupying force. And they've been here a very, very long time. But nobody knows that, cos no one can remember them.

RIVER arrives, drying her hair.

CANTON: So what are they up to?

DOCTOR: No idea. But the good news is...we've got a secret w*apon.

The DOCTOR runs to the door.

EXT. CAPE KENNEDY, DAY

The DOCTOR steps out onto the wetlands followed by the others.

RIVER: Apollo 11's your secret w*apon?

DOCTOR: No, no, it's not Apollo 11, that would be silly. It's Neil Armstrong's foot.

Matt Smith
Karen Gillan
Arthur Darvil

DOCTOR WHO
"Day of the Moon"
by Steven Moffat

Producer
Marcus Wilson

Director
Toby Haynes

EXT. GREYSTARK HALL ORPHANAGE, NIGHT

In a thunderstorm, a black sedan enters the grounds and pulls up in front of the large building that has seen better days. The radio is on.

RADIO: In just a few days mankind will set foot on the moon for the first time. Today the President reaffirmed America's commitment...

INT. SEDAN, NIGHT

CANTON turns off the radio and looks to AMY in the passenger seat. She is dressed like an agent in a black suit.

CANTON: Ready. Check?

AMY looks at the palm of her left hand.

AMY: Clear.

CANTON: (looks at palm) Clear.

As AMY gets out of the car, CANTON rubs his left palm with his right index finger.

INT. TARDIS

The DOCTOR injects something into CANTON'S hand.

CANTON: Ow!

DOCTOR: So, three months, what have we found out?

RORY: Well, they are everywhere. Every state in America. (the DOCTOR injects his hand) Ow!

DOCTOR: Not just America, the entire world.

RIVER: There's a greater concentration here though.

The DOCTOR injects AMY.

AMY: Ow!

DOCTOR: You OK?

AMY: All better.

DOCTOR: Better?

AMY: Turns out I was wrong. I'm not pregnant.

RORY walks over.

RORY: What's up?

AMY: Nothing. Really, nothing, seriously.

CANTON: So you've seen them, but you don't remember them.

RIVER: You've seen them too. That night at the warehouse, remember? While you were pretending to hunt us down we saw hundreds of those things. We still don't know what they look like.

RORY: It's like they edit themselves out of your memory as soon as you look away. The exact second you're not looking at them, you can't remember anything.

AMY: Sometimes you feel a bit sick though, but not always.

CANTON: So that's why you marked your skin?

AMY: Only way we'd know if we'd had an encounter.

CANTON: How long have they been here?

AMY: That's what we've spent three months trying to find out.

RORY: Not easy, if you can't remember anything you discover.

CANTON: But how long do you think?

DOCTOR: As long as there's been something in the corner of your eye, or creaking in your house, or breathing under your bed, or voices through a wall. They've been running your lives for a very long time now, so keep this straight in your head. We are not fighting an alien invasion, we're leading a revolution. And today the battle begins.

CANTON: How?

DOCTOR: Like this. (reaches back and injects RIVER)

RIVER: Ow!

DOCTOR: Ha-ha! Nano recorder. Fuses with the cartilage in your hand. (injects himself) Ow! Then it tunes itself directly to the speech centres in your brain. It'll pick up your voice, no matter what. Telepathic connection. So the moment you see one of the creatures, you activate it. (his palm glows red) And describe aloud exactly what you're seeing.

He presses his palm again and playback begins.

DOCTOR: (recording)
And describe aloud exactly what you're seeing.

DOCTOR: Because the moment you break contact, you're going to forget it happened. The light will flash if you've left yourself a message. You keep checking your hand. If you've had an encounter that's the first you'll know about it.

CANTON: Why didn't you tell me this before we started?

DOCTOR: I did. But even information about these creatures erases itself over time. (presses a few buttons on the console) I couldn't refresh it, cos I couldn't talk to you.

CANTON glances over his shoulder and then straightens the DOCTOR'S tie. The others watch him.

CANTON: What? What are you staring at?

RIVER: Look at your hand.

CANTON looks at his palm which is flashing red.

CANTON: Why's it doing that?

DOCTOR: What does it mean if the light's flashing? What did I just tell you?

CANTON: I haven't...

DOCTOR: Play it.

CANTON presses his palm.

CANTON: (recording)
My God, how did it get in here?

DOCTOR: (recording)
Keep eye contact with the creature and when I say, turn back, and when you do, straighten my bow tie.

CANTON slowly turns around.

CANTON: (recording)
What? What are you staring at?

RIVER: (recording)
Look at your hand.

Standing in the TARDIS is one of the aliens.

DOCTOR: It's a hologram, extrapolated from a photo on Amy's phone. Take a good long look. (hologram dissipates) You just saw an image of one of the creatures we're fighting. Describe it to me. (snaps his fingers)

CANTON: I can't.

DOCTOR: No. Neither can I. You straightened my bow tie because I planted the idea in your head while you were looking at the creature.

AMY: So they could do that to people. You could be doing stuff and not really knowing why you're doing it.

RORY: Like post hypnotic suggestion.

AMY: Ruling the world with post hypnotic suggestion.

DOCTOR: Now then, a little girl in a space suit. They got the suit from NASA, but where did they get the girl?

CANTON: Could be anywhere.

DOCTOR: Except they probably stayed close to that warehouse, cos why bother doing anything else? And they take her from somewhere to cause the least amount of attention. But you'll have to find her. I'm off to NASA.

The DOCTOR uses the scanner to zoom in on possible coordinates in Florida.

CANTON: Find her? Where do we look?

DOCTOR: Children's homes.

EXT. GREYSTARK HALL ORPHANAGE, NIGHT

There's a knock on the door and a man opens it to reveal AMY and CANTON on the doorstep.

MAN: Hello.

CANTON: (holds up ID) FBI. You must be Dr Renfrew. Can we come in?

RENFREW: The children are asleep.

AMY: We'll be very quiet.

RENFREW: Is there a problem?

CANTON: It's about a missing child.

RENFREW: What are you...? Yes, yes, come in, please.

INT. GREYSTARK HALL ORPHANAGE, NIGHT

AMY pushes the door open and they follow RENFREW inside. The architectures shows the house was once beautiful but it is now very dilapidated with paint chipping from the walls as well as signs of damp. Painted on the walls in large red letters are demands such as "GET OUT" and "LEAVE NOW".

RENFREW: This way. (leads them upstairs) Please excuse the writing. It keeps happening. I try to clean it up.

AMY: It's the kids, yeah? They do that?

RENFREW: Yes. The children. It must be, yes.

RENFREW reaches out to wipe the wall and AMY and CANTON see "GET OUT" written on his wrist.

RENFREW: Anyway, my office is this way.

CANTON: We nearly didn't come to this place. I understood Graystark Hall was closed in '67.

RENFREW: That's the plan, yes.

AMY: The plan?

RENFREW: Not long now.

CANTON: It's 1969.

RENFREW: No, no. We close in '67. That's the plan, yes.

CANTON: You misunderstood me, sir. It's 1969 now.

RENFREW: Why are you saying that? Of course, it isn't.

CANTON: July.

RENFREW: My office is this way, this way. (veers off to a smaller stairway)

AMY: I'll check upstairs.

CANTON: Be careful.

CANTON follows RENFREW and AMY continues upstairs.

INT. GREYSTARK HALL, ROOM

AMY pushes the door open to a dorm room. There are a number of bed frames lined on either side of the room. Painted on the wall is the message "LEAVE ME ALONE".

INT. ???

The DOCTOR is working on a myriad of wires when his phone rings. He puts on the earpiece so he can keep working.

DOCTOR: Amy?

CONTINUED, INTERCUT WITH –

- CUT TO:

AMY: I think we've found the place she was taken from.

DOCTOR: How do you know?

AMY: (over phone)
Cos those things have been here. But the whole place is deserted.

AMY: There's just one guy here and I think he's lost it.

DOCTOR: Repeated memory wipes fry your head eventually. Find out what you can, but don't hang around.

AMY: Where are you?

DOCTOR: Gotta go! Got company!

The DOCTOR ends the call and sits up. The door is open and men are looking in on him.

DOCTOR: Don't worry. I put everything back the way I found it. (there's a piece in his hand) Except this. There's always a bit left over, isn't there?

The camera pulls out to reveal he is in the Apollo 11 module. We then see the component he was working on give off a steady beep.

AMY puts away her phone and continues to walk through the window. The door slams shut behind her and she whirls around wondering of she's alone. She runs for the door and, as she tries the knob, she sees markings on her hand. She turns her hand over and sees red flashing. She presses her palm with her other thumb.

AMY: (recording)
I can see them, but I think they're asleep. Get out! Just get out!

AMY tries the door again then tries the windows. She sees more markings on her hands and the reflection in the window shows marks on her face. She turns around and slowly looks up. There is a mass of the creatures hanging upside-down from the ceiling like bats. She walks towards the door, not taking her eyes off them, and kicks a pail there to catch water. One of the creatures hisses at the noise. AMY reaches her hand to her mouth to leave a message when the door opens. She looks away and all thoughts of the aliens hanging above her are gone. As she leaves the room, one of the aliens stands in the room.

INT. LECTURE ROOM, KENNEDY SPACE CENTER

The DOCTOR is sitting in a chair, legs crossed even though he is handcuffed. An MP stands behind him as two men question him.

MAN 1: One more time, sir. How the hell did you get into the command module?

DOCTOR: I told you! I'm on a top secret mission for the President. (bites the chain of the cuffs)

MAN 1: Well, maybe if you just get President Nixon to assure us of that, sir, that would be swell.

DOCTOR: I sent him a message.

The MAN scoffs just as the double doors behind him open and NIXON walks into the room. RORY and RIVER—in period dress--are acting as his aids. Behind them is the TARDIS.

NIXON: Hello, I believe it's Mr Gardner, is that correct? Head of security? (shakes his hand)

GARDNER: Ah, yes, sir. Yes, Mr President.

NIXON: (to MAN 2) Mr Grant, is it?

GRANT: Yes, Mr President. (shakes hands)

NIXON: The hopes and dreams of millions of Americans stand here today, at Cape Kennedy, and you are the men who guard those dreams. On behalf of the American people, I thank you.

GARDNER: You're welcome, Mr President.

NIXON: I understand you have a baby on the way, Mr Grant?

GRANT: Yes, Mr President.

NIXON: What are you hoping for, a boy or a girl?

GRANT: Just a healthy American, sir.

NIXON: A healthy American will do just nicely. (gives GRANT a friendly shoulder punch) Now, fellas, listen. This man here-- codename, The Doctor--is doing some work for me, personally. Could you cut him a little slack?

GARDNER: Er, Mr President, he did break into Apollo 11.

The DOCTOR mouths "Sorry".

NIXON: Well, I'm sure he had a very good reason for that. But I need you to release him now, so he can get on with some very important work for the American people. Could you do that for me?

GRANT: Well...

NIXON: Son, I am your Commander-in-Chief.

GARDNER: Then I guess that would be fine, Mr President.

NIXON: Glad to hear it.

The MP unlocks the handcuffs and the DOCTOR stands.

DOCTOR: Thank you! (shakes GRANT'S hand) Bye-bye. (shakes GARDNER'S hand and heads for the TARDIS)

NIXON: Carry on, gentlemen. (follows the DOCTOR and RIVER)

RORY accidentally breaks off a piece of the model lunar module sitting on the desk. When he can't fit it back on, he slips the piece on the desk.

RORY: (clears throat) America salutes you.

RORY salutes them in the British fashion (palm facing outwards) before joining the others and closing the doors.

INT. GREYSTARK HALL, REFREW'S OFFICE, NIGHT

As RENFREW sits at his desk, CANTON searches the filing cabinets.

CANTON: This place, it's been closed for years. What have you been doing?

RENFREW: Oh, the child, she must be cared for. It's important. That's what they said.

CANTON: That's what who said?

INT. GREYSTARK HALL, HALLWAY, NIGHT

AMY searches the halls upstairs, shining her torch. She hears a metal clink and looks ahead. A WOMAN with an eye patch peers through an opening in the door.

AMY: Hello. Who are you?

WOMAN: (possibly to someone inside) No, I think she's just dreaming.

The window slides shut. After a slight pause, AMY goes to the door and opens it to find a small nursery that still looks like it's been occupied recently.

AMY: Hello? I saw you, looking through the hatch...

AMY looks back at the door and there is no sign of a small hatch. She rubs her hand along the door and checks the back of it.

INT. GREYSTARK HALL, GIRL'S ROOM, NIGHT

AMY walks inside and sees stuffed animals on the bed, a mobile hanging from the light and framed photographs on the bureau. All of them are of the GIRL at various ages. One hidden in the back catches AMY'S eye. She picks it up. It is her holding a baby.

AMY: How? How can that be me?

She puts the picture down with shaking hands and turns just as the astronaut enters the room.

AMY: Who are you? I don't understand, so just tell me who you are!

The astronaut lifts the visor and it is still the GIRL. The inner visor is cracked from the b*llet when AMY sh*t her.

AMY: I'm sorry. I didn't mean to sh**t you. I'm glad I missed. But you k*lled The Doctor. You're going to k*ll him. But who are you? Just please tell me, because I don't understand!

GIRL: Please help me. Help me, please.

Two of the creatures enter the room. AMY screams and the door slams shut.

There is a thumping and RENFREW goes to answer the door. He opens it a cr*ck and speaks to the person outside.

RENFREW: It's just some questions. Yes, I see. (closes door and sits back down)

CANTON: Who was that? Doctor Renfrew? Who was that?

RENFREW: Who was who?

CANTON walks to the door but stops when it opens and a creature enters.

CANTON: What are you? You can tell me. (activates recorder) Cos I won't remember. You invaded us. You're everywhere.

AMY: (distant)
Help me! Canton, please will you help me?!

CANTON: Are you armed?

CREATURE: This world is ours. We have ruled it since the wheel and the fire. We have no need of weapons.

CANTON: Yeah? (takes out revolver and sh**t it three times) Welcome to America. (heads down the hall) Amy!

INT. OVAL OFFICE, NIGHT

NIXON is sitting and his desk and the DOCTOR is walking to the TARDIS.

DOCTOR: You have to tape everything that happens in this office, every word, or we won't know if you're under the influence.

NIXON: Doctor, you have to give me more than this. What were you doing to Apollo 11?

DOCTOR: A thing. A clever thing. No more questions. You have to trust me and nobody else.

RIVER opens the TARDIS door.

RIVER: Doctor, it's Canton! Quick, he needs us!

The DOCTOR runs into the TARDIS and it dematerializes.
INT. GREYSTARK HALL, HALLWAY, NIGHT

CANTON has arrived in the same upstairs hallway.

AMY: Help me! Please, I can't, I can't see! Somebody help me!

CANTON tries to break down the door.

CANTON: Amy! (pounds on the door) Amy, can you hear me? Amy, I'm going to try to blow the lock. I need you to stand back.

Just as CANTON raises his g*n, the DOCTOR, RORY and RIVER arrive.

DOCTOR: OK, g*n down, I've got it! Amy, we're here. Are you OK? (uses the sonic on the lock)

AMY: I can't see!

The DOCTOR opens the door and they go in. Down the hall, hiding, pressed against the wall, is the GIRL.

INT. GREYSTARK HALL, GIRL'S ROOM, NIGHT

They enter the room but AMY isn't there. On the floor is the spacesuit.

RORY: Where is she, Doctor?

The DOCTOR scans the suit with the sonic and RIVER opens the visor.

RIVER: It's empty.

AMY: It's dark, it's so dark. I don't know where I am. Please, can anybody hear me?

The DOCTOR looks down and finds the nanorecorder blinking on the floor. RORY picks it up.

RORY: They took this out of her? How did they do that, Doctor?

AMY sobs come over the recorder.

RORY: Why can I still hear her?

RIVER: Is it a recording?

DOCTOR: (scans the recorder) It defaults to live. This is current. Wherever she is right now, this is what she's saying.

RORY: (speaks into recorder) Amy, can you hear me? We're coming for you. Wherever you are, we're coming, I swear.

DOCTOR: She can't hear you. I'm so sorry. It's one way.

RORY: She can always hear me, Doctor. Always, wherever she is. She always knows that I am coming for her, do you understand me? Always.

AMY: (recorder)
Doctor, are you out there? Can you hear me? Doctor? Oh, God. Please, please, Doctor, just get me out of this.

RORY: (into recorder)
He's coming. I'll bring him, I swear.

RENFREW: Hello, is someone in there? Who? I think someone has been sh*t. I think we should help. We... I can't... I can't remember.

RENFREW leads them back to his office where the creature is on the floor. It backs away as the DOCTOR kneels and reaches out.

DOCTOR: OK. Who and what are you?

SILENCE: Silence, Doctor. (holding its wound) We are the Silence.

The DOCTOR flashes back to his past where the Silence has been mentioned ("The Eleventh Hour" "Vampires of Venice")

SILENCE: And silence will fall.

INT. AREA 51, DAY

The cell door opens and the soldiers aim their g*ns. CANTON strolls out.

CANTON: Hello again.

SOLDIER: Sir, you've been in there for days. What the hell have you been doing?

CANTON: Doesn't matter. I need Dr Shepherd here right now.

SOLDIER: Sir, I need to talk to Colonel Jefferson right now!

CANTON: No, you really don't.

NIXON steps out of the cell and the soldiers snap to attention.

NIXON: Hi, fellas. I'm President Nixon. I want to tell you, on behalf of the American people, how much we appreciate all of your hard work.

INT. WAREHOUSE

The DOCTOR and RIVER are examining the spacesuit. A small black-and-white TV is playing the news.

TV: The target for the Apollo 11 astronauts, the moon, at lift off, will be at a distance of 218,096 miles away. We're just past the two minute mark on the countdown. T minus one minute 54 seconds and counting...

RIVER: It's an exo-skeleton. Basically, life support. There's about 20 different kinds of alien tech in here.

DOCTOR: Who was she? Why put her in here?

RIVER: Put this on, you don't even need to eat. The suit processes sunlight directly. It's got built in weaponry and a communications system that can hack into anything.

DOCTOR: Including the telephone network?

RIVER: Easily.

DOCTOR: Why phone the President?

RIVER: It defaults to the highest authority it can find. The little girl gets frightened, the most powerful man on Earth gets a phone call. The night terrors with a hotline to the White House.

RIVER looks up to see the DOCTOR sniffing her envelope and then licking it.

RIVER: You won't learn anything from that envelope, you know.

DOCTOR: Purchased on Earth, perfectly ordinary stationery, TARDIS blue. Summoned by a stranger who won't even show his face. That's a first for me. How about you?

RIVER: Our lives are back to front. Your future's my past, your firsts are my lasts.

DOCTOR: Not really what I asked.

RIVER: Ask something else then.

DOCTOR: What are the Silence doing? Raising a child?

RIVER: Keeping her safe. Even giving her independence.

DOCTOR: The only way to save Amy is to work out what the Silence are doing.

RORY: I know.

DOCTOR: Every single thing we learn about them brings us a step closer.

RORY: Yeah, Doctor, I get it, I know.

DOCTOR: Of course, it's possible she's not just any little girl.

RIVER: Well, I'd say she's human, going by the life support software.

DOCTOR: But?

RIVER: She climbed out of this suit. Like she forced her way out. She must be incredibly strong.

DOCTOR: Incredibly strong and running away. I like her.

RIVER: We should be trying to find her.

DOCTOR: Yes, I know, but how? Anyway, I have the strangest feeling she's going to find us.

TV: This is Houston, do you read? Over.

RORY: Why does it look like a NASA space suit?

DOCTOR: (walks to TV) Because that's what the Silence do. Think about it. They don't make anything themselves. They don't have to. They get other life forms to do it for them.

RIVER: So they're parasites then?

DOCTOR: Super parasites. Standing in the shadows of human history since the very beginning. We know they can influence human behaviour any way they want. If they've been doing that on a global scale for thousands of years...

RORY: Then what?

DOCTOR: Then why did the human race suddenly decide to go to the moon?

TV: Ten, nine, ignition sequence start, six, five, four...

DOCTOR: Because the Silence needed a space suit.

TV: ..one, zero, all engines on. Lift off. We have a lift off. 32 minutes past the hour, lift off on Apollo 11.

INT. AREA 51, CELL, DAY

Dr SHEPHERD examines the SILENCE.

SHEPHERD: My God! What is it?

CANTON: It's just an alien, Dr Shepherd.

SHEPHERD: Someone's already been treating it.

CANTON: Yeah. You've been treating it.

SHEPHERD: Does Colonel Jefferson know this thing is here?

CANTON: No.

SHEPHERD: Then I'm going to tell him right now! (gets up and looks away from the SILENCE)

CANTON: Again?

SHEPHERD: Sorry, what?

CANTON: Exactly.

SHEPHERD: Sergeant, why was I called in here for no reason? (exits cell)

SILENCE: You tend to my wounds. You are foolish.

CANTON has taken out AMY'S phone and is using it to record.

CANTON: Why? What you do in my place?

SILENCE: We have ruled your lives since your lives began. You should k*ll us all on sight, but you will never remember we were even here. Your will is ours.

CANTON: Well, sorry to disappoint you, but thanks, it's exactly what I needed to hear. This is a video phone, whatever a video phone is.

CANTON ends the recording and sends the file to the DOCTOR.

INT. WAREHOUSE

The DOCTOR opens the video on RIVER'S handheld.

SILENCE: (video)
You should k*ll us all on sight.

RORY is off to the side listening to AMY'S sobs over the nano-recorder. RIVER scans the spacesuit and the hand/glove twitches.

RIVER: This suit, it seems to be repairing itself. How is it doing that?

RORY sits on the floor, his back against a packing crate.

RIVER: Doctor, a unit like this, would it ever be able to move without an occupant?

DOCTOR: Why?

RIVER: Well, the little girl said the space man was coming to eat her. Maybe that's exactly what happened.

AMY begins to speak and RORY lifts his head. The DOCTOR also hears but leaves RORY alone.

I love you. I know you think it's him. I know you think it ought to be him. But it's not, it's you. And when I see you again, I'm going tell you properly, just to see your stupid face. My life was so boring before you just dropped out of the sky. (RORY drops his head) So just get your stupid face where I can see it. OK? OK?

The DOCTOR sits beside RORY.

DOCTOR: She'll be safe for now. No point in a dead hostage.

RORY: Can't you save her?

DOCTOR: I can track that signal back. Take us right to her.

RORY: Then why haven't you?

DOCTOR: Because then what? I find her, and then what do I do? This isn't an alien invasion. They live here. This is their empire. This is kicking the Romans out of Rome.

RORY: Rome fell.

DOCTOR: I know. I was there.

RORY: So was I.

DOCTOR: Personal question.

RORY: Seriously? You?

DOCTOR: Do you ever remember it? 2,000 years, waiting for Amy? The Last Centurion?

RORY: No.

DOCTOR: Are you lying?

RORY: Course I'm lying.

DOCTOR: Course you are. Not the sort of thing anyone forgets.

RORY: But I don't remember it all the time. It's like there's… a door in my head. I can keep it shut.

Please come and get me. Come and get me. (sobs)

The DOCTOR stands and listens.

INT. OVAL OFFICE, DAY

One of the aides switches on the TV and the Apollo 11 broadcast.

TV: Just five days since Apollo 11 blasted off from Cape Kennedy,

INT. BAR, DAY

The patrons are gathered around the TV.

TV: …this unprecedented journey is reaching its crucial moment. Armstrong and Aldrin are making their descent to the surface of the moon. On the ground, you've got a bunch of guys about to turn blue.

INT. SILENCE SHIP, DAY

AMY wakes, a bright light in her eyes. She is strapped to one of the tables tilted upright.

AMY: Where am I? Where is this?

One of the SILENCE turns to face her.

SILENCE: You are Amelia Pond.

AMY: You're ugly, has anyone mentioned that to you?

SILENCE: We do you honour. You will bring the Silence. But your part will soon be over.

AMY: Whatever that means, you've made a big mistake bringing me here, because wait till you see what's coming for you now.

SILENCE: You have been here many days.

AMY: No. I just got here. You just put me in here.

SILENCE: Your memory is weak. You have been here many days.

AMY: No. No, I can't have been.

SILENCE: You will sleep now. Sleep. (leans over her)

AMY: No! No! Get off me!

SILENCE: Sleep.

AMY: No! No!

The TARDIS materializes. The SILENCE turn to stare at it as the DOCTOR, RIVER and RORY step out. The DOCTOR is carrying a TV. RIVER has her g*n out.

DOCTOR: Oh! Interesting. Very Aickman Road, seen one of these before. Abandoned, wonder how that happened. Oh, well! I suppose I'm about to find out. Rory, River, keep one Silent in eyeshot at all times. Oh, hello, sorry. You're in the middle of something. Just had to say though, have you seen what's on the telly? Hello, Amy, you all right? Want to watch some television? (sets the TV on the console) Ah, now, stay where you are. Because look at me, I'm confident. You want to watch that, me, when I'm confident. Oh, and this is my friend, River. Nice hair, clever, has own g*n, and unlike me, she really doesn't mind sh**ting people. I shouldn't like that. Kind of do.

RIVER: Thank you, sweetie.

DOCTOR: I know you're team players and everything, but she'll definitely k*ll at least the first three of you.

RIVER moves so that she and the DOCTOR are standing back-to-back.

RIVER: The first seven, easily.

DOCTOR: Seven, really?

RIVER: Oh, eight for you, honey.

DOCTOR: Stop it.

RIVER: Make me!

DOCTOR: Yeah, well, maybe I will.

AMY: Is this really important, flirting? I feel like I should be higher on the list right now.

DOCTOR: Yes, right, sorry. As I was saying, my naughty friend here is going k*ll the first three of you to att*ck, plus him behind. So maybe you want to draw lots, or have a quiz.

RORY is trying to free AMY.

AMY: What's he got?

RORY: Something, I hope.

DOCTOR: (walks around the console) Or maybe you could just listen a minute, because all I really want to do is accept your total surrender, and then I'll let you go in peace. You've been interfering in human history for thousands of years. People have suffered and d*ed. But what's the point in two hearts, if you can't be a bit forgiving now and then. (stares into the leader's face) Ooh! The Silence. You guys take that seriously, don't you? OK, you got me, I'm lying. I'm not really going to let you go that easily. Nice thought, but it's not Christmas. First, (turns on TV) you tell me about the girl. Who is she? Why is she important? What's she for? Guys, sorry. But you're way out of time. Now, come on, a bit of history for you. Aren't you proud, because you helped? (pulls out the TV antennae) Do you know how many people are watching this live on the telly? Half a billion, and that's nothing, because the human race will spread out among the stars, you just watch them fly. Billions and billions of them, for billions and billions of years. And every single one of them, at some point in their lives, will look back at this man, taking that very first step, and they will never, ever forget it.

The Doctor stops and watches as the moon landing unfolds.

DOCTOR: Oh. (takes out phone) But they'll forget this bit. (into phone) Ready?

INT. AREA 51, CELL, DAY

CANTON: Ready.

CANTON presses AMY'S phone against the phone the DOCTOR had given him.

INT. APOLLO 11 MODULE

The device the DOCTOR hooked up earlier is triggered.

INT. SILENCE SHIP, DAY

TV: It's one small step for man...

The broadcast is interrupted with the video of the SILENCE that CANTON had sh*t earlier. It is on a loop and keeps repeating. Those in the Oval Office and the bar see the recording and remember.

DOCTOR: You've given the order for your own execution, and the whole planet just heard you.

TV: One giant leap for mankind.

DOCTOR: And one whacking great kick up the backside for the Silence!

INT. BAR, DAY

The patrons turn on the SILENCE in the bar.

DOCTOR: (V.O.) You just raised an army against yourself.

INT. OVAL OFFICE, DAY

PETERSON turns and draws on the SILENCE standing in the doorway.

DOCTOR: (V.O.) And now, for a thousand generations, you're going to be ordering them to destroy you every day.

INT. SILENCE SHIP, DAY

DOCTOR: How fast can you run? Because today's the day the human race throw you off their planet. (the leader advances on the DOCTOR who backs away) They won't even know they're doing it. I think, quite possibly the word you're looking for right now is, "Oops!" Run! Guys, I mean us! Run!

The SILENCE begin to draw on their engery. RIVER starts to fire. The DOCTOR uses his sonic to keep them

back.

RORY: I can't get her out!

AMY: Go, just go!

RORY: We are not leaving without you!

AMY: Will you just get your stupid face out of here?!

RORY stops and looks up at AMY.

RIVER: Right, into the TARDIS, quickly!

The DOCTOR uses the sonic on the straps and frees AMY. RORY helps AMY to the TARDIS while RIVER and the DOCTOR cover them.

DOCTOR: Don't let them build to full power!!

RIVER: I know. There's a reason why I'm sh**ting, honey! What are you doing?

DOCTOR: Helping.

RIVER: You've got a screwdriver. Go build a cabinet!

DOCTOR: That's really rude!

RIVER: Shut up and drive!

The DOCTOR goes into the TARDIS and RIVER spins and fires at the SILENCE, k*lling them all. She ends in a crouch. She slowly stands. RORY is in the TARDIS doorway, staring at her in amazement. She twirls her g*n into its holster.

RIVER: My old fella didn't see that, did he? He gets ever so cross.

RORY: So, what kind of doctor are you?

CANTON: Archaeology.

Without looking, RIVER pulls out her g*n and fires at the SILENCE behind her.

RIVER: Love a tomb.(enters TARDIS)

INT. TARDIS

RIVER pushes the DOCTOR out of the way and works the controls.

DOCTOR: You can let me fly it!

RIVER: Or we could go where we're supposed to.

AMY walks down to steps to RORY by the door.

AMY: What's the matter with you?

RORY: You called me stupid.

AMY: I always call you stupid.

RORY: No, but... my face.

AMY reaches out and opens RORY'S hand to reveal her recorder.

RORY: I wasn't sure who you were talking about. You know, me, or...

AMY: Him?

RORY: Well, you did say, "Dropped out of the sky."

AMY: It's a figure of speech, moron!

AMY pulls RORY into a kiss.

RORY: Thanks.

AMY: You're welcome.

INT. OVAL OFFICE, DAY

NIXON shakes the DOCTOR'S hand.

NIXON: So we're safe again.

DOCTOR: Safe? No, of course you're not safe. There's a billion other things out there, waiting to burn your whole world. But if you want to pretend you're safe, just so you can sleep at night, OK, you're safe. But you're not really. (turns to CANTON) Canton. Till the next one, eh? (shake hands)

CANTON: Looking forward to it.

DOCTOR: (to NIXON) Canton just wants to get married. Helluva reason to kick him out of the FBI.

NIXON: I'm sure something can be arranged.

DOCTOR: I'm counting on you.

NIXON: Er, Doctor... Canton here tells me you're... from the future. Hardly seems possible, but I was wondering...

DOCTOR: Should warn you, I don't answer a lot of questions.

NIXON: But I'm a President at the beginning of his time. Dare I ask? Will I be remembered?

DOCTOR: Oh, Dickie. Tricky Dickie. They're never going to forget you. (heads for the TARDIS) Say hi to David Frost for me.

NIXON: David Frost?

NIXON and CANTON watch as they enter the TARDIS and it dematerializes.

NIXON: This person you want to marry. Black?

CANTON: Yes.

NIXON: Hmm. I know what people think of me, but perhaps I am a little more liberal.

CANTON: He is.

NIXON: I think the moon is far enough for now, don't you, Mr Delaware?

CANTON: I figured it might be.

INT. STORMCAGE

The TARDIS is in the hall as the DOCTOR says goodbye to RIVER by her open cell.

DOCTOR: You could come with us.

RIVER: I escape often enough, thank you. And I have a promise to live up to. You'll understand, soon enough.

DOCTOR: OK, up to you. (walks to the TARDiS) See you next time. Call me.

RIVER: What, that's it? What's the matter with you?

DOCTOR: (walks back) Have I forgotten something?

RIVER: Oh, shut up.

RIVER kisses him and the DOCTOR waves his arms about as if he doesn't know what to do.

DOCTOR: Right. OK. Interesting.

RIVER: What's wrong? You're acting like we've never done that before.

DOCTOR: We haven't.

RIVER: We haven't?

DOCTOR: Oh, look at the time, must be off. (backs away to the TARDIS) But it was very nice. It was good. It was unexpected. You know what they say, there's a first time for everything. (enters TARDIS)

RIVER: And a last time.

INT. TARDIS

DOCTOR: Rory, I'm going to need thermo couplings. The green ones and the blue ones.

RORY: OK, hold on. (heads off)

DOCTOR: So.

AMY: So?

DOCTOR: You're OK?

AMY: Fine. Head's a bit weird. There's lots of stuff I can't quite remember. (flashes to the photo and what happened in the orphanage)

DOCTOR: After effect of the Silence. Natural enough. That's not what I was asking. You told me you were pregnant.

AMY: Yes.

DOCTOR: Why?

AMY: Because I was. I thought I was. Turns out I wasn't.

DOCTOR: No. Why did you tell me?

AMY: You're my friend. You're my best friend.

DOCTOR: Did you tell Rory?

In another section of the TARDIS, RORY still has AMY's recorder and can hear everything.

No.

DOCTOR: (recorder)
Amy, why tell me and not Rory?

AMY: Why do you think? I travelled with you in this TARDIS for so long. All that time. If I was pregnant for some of it, wouldn't it have had an effect?

I don't want to tell Rory, this baby might have three heads, or like a time head or something.

DOCTOR: What's a time head?

AMY: I don't know, but what if it had one?

DOCTOR: A time head?

AMY: Shut up, all right!

They laugh.

Oi! Stupid face.

RORY: (makes his way back to the console) Er, yeah. Hello.

AMY: (sees the recorder) Taking that away from you, if you're going to listen in all the time.

RORY: OK, that's a fair point. But you should've told me that you thought you were pregnant. I'm a nurse, I'm good with pregnancy.

AMY: Not, as it turns out, that good. So can you stop being stupid? (hugs RORY)

RORY: Er, no. Never. I'm never, ever going to stop being stupid!

DOCTOR: So, this little girl, it's all about her. Who was she? Or we could just go off and have some adventures. Anyone in the mood for adventures? I am. You only live once.

AMY and RORY share a look as the DOCTOR fiddles with the scanner controls. He smiles at AMY and looks back to the scanner. The TARDIS is performing a full-body scan on AMY, testing for pregnancy. The results keep switching between positive and negative.

EXT. NEW YORK CITY, ALLEY, NIGHT

SIX MONTHS LATER…

A homeless MAN is searching through dumpsters. The GIRL appears wearing a thin coat. She coughs. The MAN turns at the sound of her cough.

MAN: Are you OK? Little girl... are you OK?

GIRL: It's all right. It's quite all right. I'm dying... but I can fix that. It's easy, really. See?

The GIRL holds her hands out and they begin to glow. She giggles and the MAN runs away. The glow spreads and she throws her arms out and her head back as she regenerates.