06x09 - Night Terrors

Episode transcripts for the 2005 TV show "Doctor Who". (Ninth to Twelfth Doctor)*

Moderator: Kitty Midnight

Time and Space traveling adventures of a Gallifreyan Time Lord only known as "the Doctor" and his companions.

Watch/Buy Amazon  Merchandise  Collectibles

Classic Who   Specials  

06x09 - Night Terrors

Post by bunniefuu »

EXT. COUNCIL ESTATE, NIGHT

A forlorn swing creaks with the wind. We then close in on one of the many identical flats. We see hoodies in the stairway. An older woman is pulling her wheeled bag through the entry to the lift and goes up.

INT. FLAT, GEORGE'S BEDROOM, NIGHT

GEORGE is sitting nervously at the end of his bed. His room has a large number of toys scattered around the floor and table.

MUM: Bed!

GEORGE: But Mum...

MUM: George, I won't tell you again. Get into bed. I'm going to be late for work. It's just the lift, love. How many more times?

GEORGE: Don't like it.

MUM walks from the door to the cupboard.

MUM: Well, what do we do with the things we don't like?

MUM and GEORGE: Put them in the cupboard.

GEORGE: The thing! You have to do the thing, Mum.

MUM walks back to the doorway and flips the light switch on and off four times.

GEORGE: Five times. It has to be five times.

MUM does it one more time.

GEORGE: (closes eyes) Please save me from the monsters. Please save me from the monsters.

We then seem to be travelling through space.

GEORGE: Please save me from the monsters. (opens eyes)

MUM: All right now? (walks over) Come on, George. There's nothing to be scared of. (rubs his back as he gets under the covers) Ni-night then, love. (kisses him goodnight and leaves)

GEORGE can see out into the parlor where his DAD is sitting on a chair and MUM talks with him.

DAD: How was he?

MUM: He's in bed at least.

GEORGE shines his torch around the room, everything normal in daylight now casting eerie shadows

DAD: I'm worried about him. Why's he terrified all the time?

MUM: He needs help.

DAD: He's got us.

MUM: He needs a doctor.

SPACE

We hurtle through space as GEORGE chants.

GEORGE: Please save me from the monsters. Please save me from the monsters. Please save me from the monsters.

There is the TARDIS.

INT. TARDIS

The DOCTOR spins around and reaches into his inside jacket pocket like it's on fire. He pulls out the psychic paper.

DOCTOR: (reads) Please save me from the monsters. (puts the psychic paper back in his pocket and starts working controls on the console) Haven't done this in a while!

AMY: Done what? What're you doing?

DOCTOR: Making a house call.

Matt Smith
Karen Gillan
Arthur Darvil

DOCTOR WHO
"Night Terrors"
by Mark Gatiss

Producer
Sanne Wohlenberg

Director
Richard Clark

The TARDIS materializes and RORY is the first to step out followed by AMY. He is less than impressed by the location.

RORY: No offence, Doctor...

DOCTOR: (opens TARDIS door) Meaning the opposite.

RORY: ..but we could get a bus somewhere like this.

DOCTOR: The exact opposite. (closes TARDIS door)

AMY: Well, I suppose it can't all be planets and history and stuff, Rory.

DOCTOR: Yes, it can! Course it can! Planets and history and stuff. That's what we do! But not today. No. (starts scanning with the sonic as they enter the courtyard) Today, we're answering a cry for help from the scariest place in the universe - a child's bedroom.

The OLD WOMAN walks down the hall, her wheeled bag squeaking.

GEORGE pulls his blankets close as he hears the squeaking outside and sees her shadow pass slowly across the window.

The OLD WOMAN continues on her way. The DOCTOR, AMY and RORY cross the yard and wait for the lift. The DOCTOR is looking at the psychic paper.

RORY: Please save me from the monsters. Who sent that?

The DOCTOR closes the wallet and slaps RORY on the head with it.

DOCTOR: That's what we're here to find out. (puts wallet away)

AMY: Sounds like something a kid would say.

DOCTOR: Exactly. A scared kid. A very scared kid. So scared that somehow its cry for help got through to us. In the TARDIS.

AMY: Yeah, but you've traced it here?

DOCTOR: Exactly. (lift arrives) Ah! Going up. (steps inside the lift)

INT. FLAT, PARLOR, NIGHT

DAD is sitting in his chair looking at photos of GEORGE. The TV is on in the background.

GEORGE shines his torch around the room and breathes nervously.

The DOCTOR is looking around at all the flats with their identical exteriors. AMY and RORY are also looking at different flats. The DOCTOR knocks on the door.

CONTINUED, INTERCUT WITH –

- CUT TO:

The door opens to show AMY. Inside is a little girl.

AMY: Hi!

A door opens to reveal the OLD WOMAN.

DOCTOR: Hello!

CONTINUED, INTERCUT WITH –

- CUT TO:

At yet another flat, a MAN opens the door and looks at RORY.

AMY: Are your mummy and daddy in, or is it just you?

The girl opens the door wider to reveal an identical twin sister.

AMY: OK.

OLD WOMAN: Is it about the bins?

DOCTOR: Pardon?

RORY: Community support. Just checking up on community-based... things.

The girls' MOTHER opens the door wider.

MOTHER: Can I help you?

AMY: Hi. Yeah, no. Sorry. I was just wondering if you've had any bother around here?

RORY: Is everything OK?

OLD WOMAN: The bins. I can't be expected to get down all them stairs. I need new knees.

MOTHER: Bother? What do you mean?

AMY: Well, I mean...

RORY: Are your neighbours nice? Do you get on well?

MOTHER: He didn't send you, did he?

AMY: Who?

MAN: Jim Purcell. Course we get on well. I'm their landlord. They love me, don't they?

RORY: You're the landlord?!

DOCTOR: Not the bins, no, Miss?

OLD WOMAN: Mrs Rossiter.

PURCELL: Thought you'd know that, being from community support.

RORY: Yeah. Yes! Yes, of course. Sorry.

MRS ROSSITER: I've already got a new hip. I'll be able to manage when I get the knees. Up and down them stairs like Sherpa Tensing then.

DOCTOR: Can I come in?

PURCELL'S dog barks and lunges at RORY, pulling at his lead.

MRS ROSSITER: Course not! You could be anyone!

DOCTOR: Could be, but I'm not.

RORY: Or maybe it's best I could come back another time.

DOCTOR: I'm the Doctor.

MRS ROSSITER slams the door on him, PURCELL does the same to RORY, and the MOTHER, on AMY.

GEORGE is still wide awake, holding his torch. He hears laughter outside so he stands on his bed and looks out the window.

AMY and RORY pass GEORGE'S window.

AMY: We've got to find that kid.

RORY: (teasing) Maybe we should let the monsters gobble him up!

GEORGE closes the curtains and waits for them to pass before looking out again.

The DOCTOR is on the level above AMY and RORY and sees them walk by. He then sees GEORGE peering out. The DOCTOR then meets AMY and RORY by the lift.

AMY: Hey! Any luck?

DOCTOR: Three old ladies, a traffic warden from Croatia and a man with ten cats.

RORY: What are we actually looking for?

DOCTOR: Ten cats! Scared kid, remember?

AMY: I found scary kids. Does that count?

DOCTOR: Hm. Try the next floor down. Catch you later. (taps AMY on the shoulder and continues on)

AMY: OK.

RORY: (presses the call button for the lift) Maybe it was, you know... junk mail. (leans on the wall, arms crossed)

AMY: What?

RORY: The message on the psychic paper. Maybe it was just nothing.

The lift arrives and they get in. AMY presses the button for the floor below.

The torch casts a shadow that resembles a clawed hand on the far wall. He is terrified.

INT. COUNCIL ESTATE, LIFT, NIGHT

AMY presses the button again and the door slides closed quickly and the lift plummets. AMY and RORY scream, pressed against the sides. When the door opens, the lift is empty.

The DOCTOR knocks on the front door and DAD opens it. The DOCTOR holds up the psychic paper.

DAD: Oh. Right. That was quick.

DOCTOR: Was it?

DAD: Claire said she'd phoned someone. Social Services.

DOCTOR: Yes. (looks at the psychic paper) Yes!

DAD: It's not, easy, you know... admitting your kid's got a problem.

DOCTOR: You've got a problem. I've got a problem. I bet they're connected, I'm the Doctor. (puts the psychic paper away) Call me Doctor. What can I call you?

DAD: Alex.

DOCTOR: Hello, Alex. (shakes his hand and steps inside)

INT. FLAT, PARLOR, NIGHT

DOCTOR: So... tell me about George.

The DOCTOR looks at the door that has a drawn sign that says "George's Room". ALEX shuts the door.

GEORGE sees more spooky shadows.

MRS ROSSITER drags her garbage bag down to the bins. They are overflowing with bags piled up all around.

MRS ROSSITER: What a bloomin' mess. I'm the only one who gives a monkeys round here any more. (puts her bag on the pile) Shocking! (starts walking away) Talking to yourself now, Elsie. (taps her head) They say it's the first sign. (hears something behind the bags) Ooh, Lord! Come out of there! (walks towards the bags) Don't be so ruddy horrible. Trying to scare an old lady to death. It's not right. Is that you, George? I'll tell your mum and dad.(leans over) Come on, you little devil. Let's see your face. (gets pulled into the pile of bags, screaming)

INT. FLAT, PARLOR, NIGHT

The DOCTOR and ALEX are sitting on the sofa. The DOCTOR is looking through a photo album

ALEX: Ever since he was born he's been a funny kid.

DOCTOR: Funny's good! We like funny, don't we?

ALEX: He never cries. Bottles it all up, I suppose. Tell him off, he just looks at you.

DOCTOR: How old is he?

We see the photo album is GEORGE'S baby pictures.

ALEX: He was eight in January. He should be growing out of stuff like this, shouldn't he?

DOCTOR: Maybe. (closes album and puts it down) It's got worse, though lately?

ALEX: Yeah. We talked about getting help. You know, maybe sending him somewhere. He started getting these nervous tics, you know, funny little cough. Blinking all the time. But now it's got completely out of hand. (stands) I mean he's scared to death of everything.

DOCTOR: Pantaphobia.

ALEX: What?!

DOCTOR: That's what it's called. Pantaphobia. Not a fear of pants though, if that's what you're thinking. It's a fear of everything, including pants, I suppose, in that case. Sorry. Go on.

ALEX: He hates clowns.

DOCTOR: Understandable.

ALEX: Old toys. He thinks the old lady across the way is a witch. He hates having a bath in case there's something under the water. The lift sounds like someone breathing! (sighs) Look, I don't know. (sits) I'm not an expert. Maybe you can get through to him.

DOCTOR: I'll do my best.

INT. ROOM, ??

RORY wakes up in a dim room, the only light coming through the bare windows. He looks around.

RORY: Amy? Amy? Are you here?

AMY: Yeah. Here. No, here! It's me. (crawls towards him)

RORY: You OK? (switches on a small torch)

AMY: (squints at the sudden light) Yeah, I think so.

RORY: (looks around) What happened to the lift? We were in a lift, weren't we?

AMY: Yeah, yeah. We.. I remember getting in and then...(RORY groans) What?

RORY: We're dead, aren't we?

AMY: Eh?

RORY: The lift fell and we're dead.

AMY: Shut up.

RORY: We're dead... again!

AMY: Oh, shut up! Let's just find out where we are.

AMY stands and pulls RORY up with her. They begin to explore their surroundings and walk out the open door.

INT. HALL, ??

RORY: You know it's obvious what's happened.

AMY: Yeah? Really? Because it's not obvious to me.

RORY: The TARDIS has gone funny again. Some time... slippy... thing. You know, the Doctor's back there in EastEnders-land and we're stuck here in the past. This is probably 1700 and something.

AMY: Yay! My favourite year!

Unseen behind them, a shadowy figure crosses the hallway.

GEORGE sees more spooky shadows and sees his robe hanging on the back of the door move. He sits up in such a rush, he knocks his lamp to the floor. ALEX rushes in.

ALEX: George? You OK? What's the matter? (sees the lamp and kneels to pick it up) Oh. Never mind. Were you having a nightmare, son?

GEORGE: Wasn't a nightmare. I wasn't asleep.

The DOCTOR walks in, crosses his arms and leans against the jamb.

GEORGE: Who are you?

DOCTOR: I'm The Doctor.

GEORGE: (scared) A doctor? Have you come to take me away?

DOCTOR: No, George, I just want to talk to you.

GEORGE: What about?

DOCTOR: (walks into the room) About the monsters.

INT. KITCHEN, ??

RORY and AMY enter the room. There are shelves reaching to the ceiling on one wall, another has two large cooking fireplaces and yet another has c long counter with a sink. In the middle is a long table with a copper pan and loaf of bread resting on it. Amy knocks against some utensils that clatter loudly in the quiet room.

AMY: Bit neglected, wherever it is.

RORY: Let's find the front door, at least. Then we can work out where we are. When we are.

AMY picks up the pan from the table and knocks the bottom of it. It doesn't sound right.

AMY: Rory.

RORY: Hm?

AMY: Look at this.

RORY: What? It's a copper pan.

AMY: No, it's not. (knocks) It's wood. It's made of wood and just painted to look like copper.

RORY: That is stupid. (knocks)

RORY shines his torch around and AMY spots a lamp with a candle.

AMY: Wait. Hang on. (examines it) There's a switch. (turns it on and the fake candle lights)

RORY: Wow! Well, not 1700 and something then.

They start opening drawers in the counter. AMY struggles with a drawer and finally opens it to see a giant eye. They both scream. AMY slowly reaches out a hand to touch it.

AMY: It's glass! It's a glass eye.

AMY taps the eye. RORY'S torch flickers on and off five times—just like GEORGE'S quirk of his bedroom light.

AMY: Stop doing that.

RORY: It's not me. (flickering stops) Come on.

AMY: Yep. (picks up lamp) Hang on. (picks up pan)

They leave through the door opposite the one they came in.

The DOCTOR is sitting on the foot of GEORGE'S bed playing with a Rubik's cube. GEORGE is sitting up against the headboard while ALEX paces.

ALEX: Maybe it was things on the telly, you know?

DOCTOR: Right.

ALEX: Scary stuff, getting under his skin, frightening him.

DOCTOR: Hm-hm.

ALEX: So we stopped letting him watch.

DOCTOR: Oh, you don't want to do that. (gives GEORGE a small smile)

ALEX: Then Claire thought it might have been something he was reading.

DOCTOR: Great! Reading's great. You like stories, George? (GEORGE nods) Yeah? Me, too. When I was your age, about, ooh... a thousand years ago, I loved a good bedtime story. The Three Little Sontarans. The Emperor Dalek's New Clothes. Snow White And The Seven Keys To Doomsday, eh? All the classics. Rubbish. (throws the cube over his shoulder) Must be broken. I hate those things. (ALEX moves to pick it up) Better tidy it away, though, eh? (stands and takes the cube from ALEX) How about in here? (GEORGE gasps) No? Not in the cupboard? Why not in there, George?

ALEX: It's a... thing. A thing we got him doing ages back. Anything that frightens him, we put it in the cupboard. Creepy toys, scary pictures, that sort of thing.

DOCTOR: And is that where the monsters go? Yeah. (walks slowly towards the cupboard) There's nothing to be scared of, George. It's just a cupboard.

As the DOCTOR is about to turn the latch, there's a loud knocking that startles them.

ALEX: Front door. (goes to answer the door)

INT. HALL, ??

RORY and AMY creep down a different hallway.

RORY: Let's try down here.

After they continue on, another figures stands in the hall behind them, watching.

INT. FLAT, PARLOR, NIGHT

ALEX opens the front door.

PURCELL: Evening. (walks in with his dog)

ALEX: Oh, hi.

The DOCTOR and GEORGE watch and listen to the conversation.

INT. FLAT, PARLOR, NIGHT

PURCELL: How's Claire?

ALEX: Good, thanks. At work. Look, this really isn't a good time. Maybe later...

PURCELL: And the kiddie?

ALEX: Good.

PURCELL: Yeah. You know how I hate to mention it, but it's that time again.

ALEX: Yes.

PURCELL: And you know I like my money prompt.

ALEX: The thing is, I still haven't found anywhere since the shop shut and Claire's wage only goes so far. I thought we could, you know, come to some sort of arrangement.

The DOCTOR tries to take GEORGE'S mind off the adult conversation. He takes out the sonic and activates it.

GEORGE: Is that a torch?

DOCTOR: Screwdriver! (sits back on the bed) A sonic one. And other stuff.

GEORGE: Please may I see the other stuff?

DOCTOR: You may.

The DOCTOR uses the sonic, activating the battery-powered toys.

DOCTOR: Ah, pretty cool, eh?

INT. FLAT, PARLOR, NIGHT

PURCELL: Isn't he awful, eh? Don't growl at the nice man, Bernard. He don't mean to upset daddy, do you?

ALEX: No.

PURCELL: Look, son, I know what you're thinking. Here comes 'orrible Purcell after his rent. Dog on a chain. Wasn't expecting that, was you? I'm not as daft as I look. In fact, I'm not daft at all.

The DOCTOR and GEORGE are on the bed. GEORGE is watching the toys with fascination.

DOCTOR: That's better. No tears from George. That's what I've heard. Go on, give us a smile. There's a brave little soldier. Bit rusty at this. Anyway, let's open this cupboard, eh? (stands and scans the cupboard) There's nothing to be... (sonic increases in pitch) Off the scale. (sits) Off the scale! How...?

GEORGE sees ALEX and PURCELL through the partially-open door.

PURCELL: All I want is my £350. Simple as that.

INT. FLAT, PARLOR, NIGHT

PURCELL: Ni-night. Come on, son. Come on. (leaves)

The DOCTOR puts a hand on GEORGE'S shoulder as he stares at the cupboard. ALEX enters.

ALEX: Right. Sorry about that. So, have we got this thing open yet? (reaches for the latch)

DOCTOR: (gets up) No! No! No, no, no! You don't want to do that!

ALEX: Why?

DOCTOR: Because George's monsters are real.

INT. FRONT HALL, ??

AMY and RORY have found the front hall. There are discarded items scattered on the floor. While AMY goes to around, RORY heads for the front door.

RORY: Oh, at last. (groans)

AMY: What is it?

RORY: No doorknob! Wooden pans, A massive glass eyes and now no doorknob!

AMY: And this clock.

RORY: What?

AMY: Look - the hands, they're painted on.

They turn at the sound of a child's laugh. RORY puts a finger to his lips and they walk towards another door.

INT. FLAT, KITCHEN, NIGHT

The DOCTOR is searching the cabinets.

ALEX: You're supposed to be a professional! I'll never get him to sleep now!

The DOCTOR finds the teacups.

ALEX: It's so... irresponsible.

DOCTOR: No, Alex. Responsible. Very. Cupboard bad. Cupboard not bare. Stay away from cupboard. And there's something else. Something I've missed. Something staring me in the face.

ALEX: Look, I'd like you to leave, please. You're just making things worse. Will you stop making tea! (takes the cups away) I want you to leave!

DOCTOR: (takes the cups back) No. (opens the fridge)

ALEX: What? What do you mean 'no'? (closes fridge) Leave! Get out!

The DOCTOR opens the fridge again.

ALEX: (closes fridge) Now, please! Look, maybe this was a bad idea. We should sort out George ourselves.

DOCTOR: You can't. (opens fridge and takes out milk and pours it into the cups)

ALEX: No-one's going to tell us how to run our lives. I don't care who you are or what wheels have been set in motion. We'll sort it!

DOCTOR: I'm not just a professional. I'm The Doctor.

ALEX: What's that supposed to mean?

DOCTOR: It means I've come a long way to get here, Alex. A very long way. George sent a message. A distress call, if you like. Whatever's inside that cupboard is so terrible, so powerful that it amplified the fears of an ordinary little boy across all the barriers of Time and Space.

ALEX: Eh?!

DOCTOR: Through crimson stars and silent stars and tumbling nebulas like oceans set on fire. Through empires of glass and civilizations of pure thought and a whole, terrible, wonderful universe of impossibilities. You see these eyes? They're old eyes. And one thing I can tell you, Alex... monsters are real.

ALEX: You're not from Social Services, are you?

DOCTOR: First things first. You got any Jammie Dodgers?

INT. HALL, ??

MRS ROSSITER is walking the dark hallway.

MRS ROSSITER: Please... I don't like being on me own. If there's anyone there... please... help me!

A shadowy figure crosses the hall behind her.

INT. MAIN STAIR, ??

AMY and RORY enter the hall with the checkerboard floor and the large main staircase. They hear laughter.

AMY: You hear that?

RORY: Yeah.

AMY starts forward, but RORY holds her back.

RORY: Wait!

The laughter sounds louder.

AMY: They're getting closer!

RORY: They?!

They slowly cross the room to the door on the other side. AMY readies her wooden pan. RORY slowly reaches for the doorknob and opens it quickly. They both jump back with a scream. Standing there is a life-size doll with a large head, the paint chipping off.

AMY: It's just.. It's a dummy. Oh, it's a dummy.

RORY: This is... weird.

AMY: Says the time-travelling nurse.

RORY reaches forward and taps the head and gets a hollow sound.

AMY: Let's just... leave that for now. Come on.

As they turn away and continue exploring, the dummy turns its head.

INT. FLAT, PARLOR, NIGHT

The DOCTOR is looking at more photos, this time of CLAIRE and ALEX.

DOCTOR: What is it with these photos? (puts the album down) Anyway! Good. Nice tea. Nothing like a cuppa, but decision. (puts cup down) Should we open the cupboard?

ALEX: (spits out tea) What?!

DOCTOR: Should we?

ALEX: Well...

DOCTOR: Got to open the cupboard, haven't we? Course we have! Come on, Alex! Alex! Come on! How else will we ever find out what's going on here?

ALEX: (stands) Right. But you said...

DOCTOR: Monsters! Yeah, well, that's what I do! Breakfast, dinner and tea. Fight the monsters. So this... this is just an average day at the office.

ALEX: OK. Yeah. You're right.

DOCTOR: Or maybe we shouldn't open the cupboard! We have no idea what might be in there! How powerful, how evil it might be!

ALEX: We don't?!

DOCTOR: Come on, Alex! Alex! Come on! Are you crazy? We can't open the cupboard!

ALEX: God, no. No, we mustn't!

DOCTOR: (puts his hands on either side of ALEX'S head) Right. That settles it.

ALEX: Settles what?

The DOCTOR removes his hands from ALEX'S head, grabs his cup and drains his tea.

DOCTOR: Going to open the cupboard. (leaves)

INT. PURCELL'S FLAT, PARLOR, NIGHT

PURCELL is sitting in a chair, feet up, wine at his side. He uses the remote to flip through the channels. Bernard is lying on the floor.

PURCELL: There's nothing on. Never anything on, is there, Bernard? Bergerac. God help us. 30 years old, that! Where's the boxing? Meant to be boxing on. Looks like we are going to have to watch that film again. (gets up and as he walks towards the TV, his feet sink into the floor) What the...?! Hold on a minute. (he steps forward with is other foot and that is caught as well) This is not... (body begins to sink) No! Help me, Bernard. Help!

PURCELL is swallowed up and the floor ripples like water. Bernard is alone.

The DOCTOR and ALEX are standing facing the cupboard. The DOCTOR stretches his arms and cracks his neck. The DOCTOR slowly walks forward as GEORGE watches from behind ALEX. The DOCTOR then rushes forward to lean against the furniture, startling ALEX and GEORGE. He turns the latch, reaches for the handle and yanks the cupboard open. Inside are some clothes and old toys, including a dollhouse. The DOCTOR turns around.

DOCTOR: I don't understand it. It has to be the cupboard. The readings from the sonic screwdriver, they were... (rushes from the room)

INT. FLAT, PARLOR, NIGHT

The DOCTOR hurries into the parlor and grabs the photo album before heading back to GEORGE'S room.

DOCTOR: How old is George, Alex?

ALEX: What? How old?

DOCTOR: Yes. How old is George?

ALEX: Well, I told you. Just turned eight.

DOCTOR: So you remember when he was born then?

ALEX: Of course!

DOCTOR: 'Course you do! How could you not? You and Claire. Christmas Eve. 2002, right? (shows photo)

ALEX: What? Er... yeah.

DOCTOR: Couple of weeks before George was born. Tell me about the day he arrived. Must've been wonderful.

ALEX: Best day of my... life.

DOCTOR: Sure?

DOCTOR: You don't sound sure.

ALEX: What are you trying to say? Look, I don't like this. I've told you before, I want you to go! (points to the door)

DOCTOR: What's the matter, Alex?

ALEX: I can't... Don't! Oh, this is scary!

DOCTOR: No, Alex. This is scary. Claire with baby George. (another photo) Newborn, yes?

DOCTOR: Less than a month after Christmas.

ALEX: So?

DOCTOR: So look. Look! Claire's not pregnant.

ALEX: What?

DOCTOR: Not pregnant.

ALEX: Well, of course not. Claire can't have kids! (realizes what he said)

DOCTOR: (closes album) Say that again.

ALEX: We tried everything. She was desperate. As much IVF as we could afford, but... Claire can't have kids. How... How can I have forgotten that?

They both slowly turn and look at GEORGE sitting on the bed.

DOCTOR: Who are you, George?

ALEX: It's not possible! This isn't...

DOCTOR: George?

The room begins to shake and light can be seen through the cracks of the cupboard. The bedside lamp switches on brightly. The cupboard door swings open and ALEX and the DOCTOR are pulled towards it. They both try to fight it. GEORGE is terrified.

DOCTOR: George...! George, what's going on? Are you doing this?

ALEX: What's happening?

GEORGE pulls his legs up under his chin, wraps his arms around them and closes his eyes.

GEORGE: Please save me from the Monsters! Please save me from the Monsters! Please save me from the Monsters! Please save me from the Monsters! (continues)

The DOCTOR and ALEX try to fight the pull of the cupboard.

DOCTOR: George!

ALEX: Doctor!

DOCTOR: George! (is pulled into the cabinet)

ALEX: George! (follows the DOCTOR)

The cabinet door closes behind them. GEORGE opens his eyes and blinks five times.

INT. HALL, ??

RORY: Why aren't there any lights? I miss lights. You don't really miss things till they're gone, do you? That's what my nan used to say, "You'll never miss the water till the well runs dry."

AMY: Rory.

RORY: Except light I mean, not water. Lights are great, aren't they? I mean if this place was all lit up, we wouldn't even be worried at all.

AMY: Rory! Panicking. A bit.

RORY: Yeah, yeah. Sorry.

PURCELL comes running down the hall towards them.

PURCELL: Help me! Please! Keep them away from me! Keep them away!

One of the life-sized dolls grabs PURCELL around the neck with one arm forcing him to the floor. He screams as he slowly turns into one of them.

AMY: I take it all back. Panic now.

RORY nods and they run away screaming. The dolls follow stiffly.

DOLL: Don't run away. We want to play!

AMY and RORY shut the door in the dolls' faces.

INT. LIBRARY, DOLLHOUSE

AMY and RORY lean against the door and look at each other as the laughter continues. RORY looks at the cr*ck under the door and sees the shadows move away. They lean back with a sigh.

INT. DINING ROOM, DOLLHOUSE

The DOCTOR and ALEX come to on the floor. The DOCTOR jumps up and runs to the door.

DOCTOR: George! Don't do this! We want to help you, George!

GEORGE is stilling sitting on the bed, arms around his legs. He is breathing heavily.

INT. DINING ROOM, DOLLHOUSE

ALEX leans on the table to get up.

ALEX: We went...We went into the cupboard! We went into the cupboard! How can it be bigger in here?

DOCTOR: (sniffs the chicken on the table) More common than you'd think, actually. You're OK.

ALEX: Where are we?

DOCTOR: Obvious, isn't it?

ALEX: No!

DOCTOR: Dolls' house! We're inside the dolls' house.

ALEX: The dolls' house?!

DOCTOR: In the cupboard. In your flat. The dolls' house!

ALEX: No, no, just slow down, would you?

DOCTOR: Look! Wooden chicken! (throws it at ALEX who catches it) Cups, saucers, plates, (throws plate and cup) knives, forks, fruit, chickens! Wood! So... we're either inside the dolls' house or this a refuge for dirty posh people who eat wooden food. Or termites! Giant termites trying to get on the property ladder. (picks up melon and thrusts it at ALEX) No, that's possible. Is that possible?

The DOCTOR leaves and ALEX drops the items and follows.

INT. HALL, DOLLHOUSE

The DOCTOR strides down the hallway, ALEX trailing after him.

ALEX: Look, will you stop? (grabs the DOCTOR'S lapels) What is he? What is George? And how could I forget that Claire can't have kids? How?

DOCTOR: Perception filter. (claps ALEX'S arms and continues) Some kind of hugely powerful perception filter. Convinced you and Claire. Everyone. Made you change your memories. (stops in front of a mirror and makes a face) Now, what could do that? (walks on)

ALEX: (looks in mirror) Just a mirror. (follows the DOCTOR)

After ALEX leaves, we see a doll reflected in the mirror.

INT. LIBRARY, DOLLHOUSE

The dolls return and bang on the door.

AMY: Lock it!

RORY: There isn't a lock!

AMY groans as she pushes back on the door. The dolls get the door open a cr*ck but AMY and RORY push it closed. RORY moves a giant spool of thread in front of the door

INT. FRONT HALL, DOLLHOUSE

DOCTOR: So, Claire can't have kids and something responded to that. Responded to that need. What could do that?

ALEX: I thought you were the expert, fighting monsters all day long. You tell me!

DOCTOR: Oi, listen, mush. Old eyes, remember? I've been around the block a few times. More than a few. They've knocked down the blocks I've been round and re-built them as bigger blocks. Super blocks! I've been round them as well. I can't remember everything.

ALEX: Doctor...

DOCTOR: It's like trying to remember the name of someone you met at a party when you were two.

ALEX: Doctor, the lift.

DOCTOR: And I can't just plump for 'Brian' like I normally do.

ALEX: Doctor, listen!

DOCTOR: Shh. What's that?

ALEX: It's the lift. It's the sound that the lift makes. George is scared stiff of it.

ALEX sees the electric candles switch off one by one.

Everything is quiet on the estate. We see the lift door close.

The shaking in GEORGE'S room slowly stills. GEORGE looks at the cupboard and stands.

INT. LIBRARY, DOLLHOUSE

AMY looks around for another door.

AMY: We can't stay in here. We've got to get out!

RORY: Er, how?

AMY: (grabs RORY by the lapels) Take control, Rory. Take control of the only thing we can. Letting them in!

RORY: Letting them in?

AMY: And then we surprise them. We open the door and we push past them. Kick them. Punch them. Anything. OK?

DOLL: (muffled) 'Time to play!'

RORY: OK.

They go back to the door and RORY grabs a mop to use as a w*apon. AMY moves the spool.

AMY: Go on!

One of the dolls falls to the floor. RORY pushes past the other with the mop.

RORY: Amy, come on!

AMY follows but is caught.

AMY: Rory!

RORY turns to go back but can only watch, horrified, as AMY is turned into a doll. The dolls come after him and he uses the mop to keep them back.

INT. FRONT HALL, DOLLHOUSE

ALEX watches the lights as they turn on one at a time and then shut off.

ALEX: Five times.

DOCTOR: What?

ALEX: The lights. It's happening five times. It's like one of George's habits.

The DOCTOR kneels down beside him.

ALEX: We have to switch the light on and off five times.

DOCTOR: Now you're getting it!

ALEX: What d'you mean?

DOCTOR: What do you tell George to do, Alex, with everything that scares him?

ALEX: Well, put it in the... cupboard.

DOCTOR: George isn't just an ordinary little boy. So, anything scary he puts in here. Scary toys, like the dolls' house. Scary noises, like, like the lift. Even his little rituals have become part of it. A psychic repository for all his fears, but what is he?

A doll enters the room behind them and they turn at the sound of the laugh and see it. They look again.

ALEX: Oh, my God!

They stand and the DOCTOR takes out the sonic and uses it to no effect. The doll advances on them.

ALEX: A g*n? You've got a g*n?!

DOCTOR: It's not a g*n. Wood! I've got to invent a setting for wood. It's embarrassing.

They run for the opposite door. They find a large pair of purple children's safety scissors.

DOCTOR: Come on!

The DOCTOR pushes the doll away and they make their escape.

DOLL: 'Don't run away. We just want to play.'

GEORGE walks slowly to the cupboard and stops in front of it.

INT. MAIN STAIR, DOLLHOUSE

The DOCTOR strides in, holding the scissors, as he thinks aloud.

DOCTOR: Massive psychic field. Perfect perception filter. And that need.

The DOCTOR gives the scissors to ALEX who uses them against the doll that followed them.

DOCTOR: That need of Claire's to, to... Stupid Doctor! (slaps his forehead) Ow! George is a Tenza. Of course he is.

ALEX: He's a what?!

DOCTOR: A cuckoo. A cuckoo in the nest. A Tenza. He's a Tenza. (opens a door and quickly shuts it on another doll) Millions of them hatch in space and then whoomph! (tries third door) Off they drift, looking for a nest. The Tenza young can sense exactly what their foster parents want and then they assimilate. Perfectly.

ALEX: George is an... alien? (pushes back two dolls)

DOCTOR: Yup.

ALEX: But he's... he's our child!

DOCTOR: (goes up stairs) Of course he is. The child you always wanted. He sensed that instinctively and sought you out, but something scared him. Started this cycle of fear.

ALEX joins him on the stairs as three dolls advance on them.

DOCTOR: It's all completely instinctive. Subconscious. George isn't even aware that he's controlling it. (scratches his head) So we have to make him aware. (runs to the next flight) George!

DOCTOR: (through cupboard)
GEORGE! You're the only one who can stop this,

DOCTOR: but you have to believe! You have to believe, you have to know you're safe!

GEORGE covers his ears.

I can't save you from the monsters.

DOCTOR: Only you can! George, Listen to me!

George! Listen to me!

GEORGE lowers his hands.

RORY is working his way down the stairs, still fending off the dolls with a mop, while the DOCTOR and ALEX are working their way up.

DOCTOR: Rory!

RORY: Doctor!

DOCTOR: Where's Amy?

RORY points at the red-haired doll.

DOCTOR: George! George, you have to face your fears.

You have to face them now!

GEORGE walks closer.

DOCTOR: You have to open the cupboard or we'll all be trapped here forever in a living death! George!

George, listen to me! George!

GEORGE stands in front of the cupboard.

DOCTOR: George listen to me!

George!

GEORGE reaches for the latch.

The DOCTOR, RORY and ALEX are surrounded by the dolls.

DOCTOR: Please! George, you have to end this!

GEORGE turns the latch.

DOCTOR: End this end this. End this now!

GEORGE opens the cupboard.

The dolls stop. The DOCTOR sees GEORGE standing in the center of the room below them.

DOCTOR: George! George! You did it! You did it! It's OK, it's all OK now. Everything's going to be fine.

The dolls start moving again and walk down the stairs to GEORGE.

DOCTOR: No. No. No, no, no, no, no! (leans over the bannister) George, you created this whole world. This whole thing, you can smash it! You can destroy it!

GEORGE shakes his head.

DOCTOR: Something's holding him back. Something's holding him back. Something...

FLASHBACK---

GEORGE: Who are you?

DOCTOR: I'm The Doctor.

GEORGE: (scared) A doctor? Have you come to take me away?

DOCTOR: (looks at ALEX) That's what did it. That's what the trigger was. He thought you were rejecting him. He thought he wasn't wanted. That someone was going to come and take him away.

The dolls move closer to GEORGE who is shaking with fear.

ALEX: Well, we... we talked about it.

DOCTOR: Yeah, and he heard you, Alex. A Tenza's sole function is to fit in, to be wanted, and you were rejecting him.

ALEX: We just couldn't cope. We needed help!

RORY pushes the dolls with the mop.

DOCTOR: Yes, but George didn't know that. He thought you were rejecting him. He still thinks it.

ALEX: But how can we keep him? How can we? He's not...

DOCTOR: Not what?

ALEX looks down at GEORGE as the dolls begin to surround him.

ALEX: He's not... human.

DOCTOR: No.

GEORGE: DAD!

ALEX pushes the scissors at the DOCTOR and runs down the stairs, pushing past the dolls. Just as the dolls are about to completely hide GEORGE, ALEX grabs him and takes him in a huge hug. The dolls stop. GEORGE cries.

ALEX: Whatever you are, whatever you do, you're my son. And I will never, ever send you away. Oh, George. Oh, my little boy.

GEORGE: Dad.

The cupboard door flies open and light pours out.

Bright light filters through the windows.

ALEX: My little boy.

GEORGE: Dad.

EXT. COUNCIL ESTATE, DAY

MRS ROSSITER wakes up among the garbage bags by the bins.

MRS ROSSITER: Oh, dear. Must be them tablets. Oh. Oh, dear.

The lift opens and RORY and AMY are inside. They step out.

AMY: Was I...?

RORY: Yeah.

INT. PURCELL'S FLAT, PARLOR, DAY

PURCELL wakes up to Bernard licking his hand. He hugs the dog.

EXT. COUNCIL ESTATE, DAY

CLAIRE walks up to the door and uses her key to unlock it.

INT. FLAT, FRONT HALL, DAY

CLAIRE: Hi!

She looks into the kitchen and sees GEORGE holding one of his toys and laughing at the DOCTOR and ALEX. He's sitting on the counter.

INT. FLAT, KITCHEN, DAY

CLAIRE enters the kitchen.

DOCTOR: Hello! You're Claire, I expect. Claire... (kisses her on both cheeks) how'd you feel about kippers? (goes to the stove)

CLAIRE: Er... who?

ALEX: They sent someone. About George. It's all sorted.

CLAIRE goes to GEORGE and rubs his back as he eats a slice of bread.

DOCTOR: Yeah, we had a great time, didn't we?

GEORGE: Yeah!

DOCTOR: See, he's fine.

CLAIRE: What? Just like that?

DOCTOR: Yes. Trust me.

CLAIRE smiles. ALEX kisses her on the cheek. GEORGE sits on the counter smiling and swinging his legs.

EXT. COUNCIL ESTATE, DAY

The DOCTOR leaves the flat. ALEX follows him.

ALEX: Doctor, wait!

DOCTOR: Sorry, yes. Bye. (shakes his hand)

ALEX: You can't just... I mean...

DOCTOR: It's sorted. You sorted it. Good man, Alex. Proud of you. (turns away)

ALEX: What, that's it?

DOCTOR: Well, apart from making sure he eats his greens and getting him into a good school, yes.

ALEX: But is he going to...I don't know, sprout another head or three eyes or something?

DOCTOR: He's one of the Tenza remember? He'll adapt perfectly now. (GEORGE steps out) Hey! Be whatever you want him to be. (walks away but stops) I might pop back around puberty, mind you. Always a funny time. (leaves)

CLAIRE: (from inside) Kippers are getting cold!

ALEX and GEORGE go inside. The DOCTOR finds AMY and RORY sitting on a low brick wall.

DOCTOR: Come on, you two. Things to do, people to see, whole civilisations to save. (sits between them) You feeling OK?

AMY: Erm, I think so.

The DOCTOR puts an arm around each of them.

DOCTOR: Well, it's good to be all back together again. In the flesh. Come on. (stands and leaves)

INT. TARDIS

The DOCTOR bounds up the steps to the console. AMY and RORY follow.

DOCTOR: Now did someone mention something about planets and history and stuff? Where do you want to go?

AMY: Um...

DOCTOR: Mind's gone blank.

AMY: Well, I have just been turned into a wooden dolly.

DOCTOR: Excuses, excuses.

RORY: It's tough though. It's like being given three wishes.

DOCTOR: The whole universe? Or universes. Ooh, three wishes like Ali Baba. How about that?

The conversation fades out as a girl singing a children's rhyme takes over.

"Tick tock goes the clock
And what now shall we play?
Tick tock goes the clock
Now summer's gone away?

Tick tock goes the clock
And what then shall we see?
Tick tock until the day
That thou shalt marry me

Tick tock goes the clock
And all the years they fly
Tick tock and all too soon
You and I must die.