06x10 - The Girl Who Waited

Episode transcripts for the 2005 TV show "Doctor Who". (Ninth to Twelfth Doctor)*

Moderator: Kitty Midnight

Time and Space traveling adventures of a Gallifreyan Time Lord only known as "the Doctor" and his companions.

Watch/Buy Amazon  Merchandise  Collectibles

Classic Who   Specials  

06x10 - The Girl Who Waited

Post by bunniefuu »

INT. TARDIS

The DOCTOR is working the controls on the different panels of the console as AMY and RORY look on.

DOCTOR: Apalapucia.

AMY: Say it again?

AMY: Apalapu...?

DOCTOR: Cia.

RORY: Apalapucia.

AMY: Apalapucia. What a beautiful word.

DOCTOR: Beautiful word, beautiful world. Apalapucia, voted number two planet in the top ten greatest destinations for the discerning intergalactic traveller.

RORY: Why couldn't we go to number one?

DOCTOR: It's hideous. Everyone goes to number one. Planet of the coffee shops. Apalapucia! I give you sunsets, spires, soaring silver colonnades! (leads them to the TARDIS doors) I give you...

The DOCTOR opens to doors to reveal an empty white space with a set of double grey doors.

EXT. TARDIS

RORY looks out the TARDIS doors.

RORY: Doors.

DOCTOR: Doors. Yes. I give you doors. (steps out followed by RORY) But on the other side of those doors, I give you sunsets, spires, soaring silver colonnades.

AMY: Have you seen my phone?

DOCTOR: Your phone?

AMY: Yeah.

DOCTOR: Your mobile telephone? I bring you to a paradise planet, two billion light years away, and you want to update Twitter?

AMY: Sunsets. Spires. Soaring silver colonnades. It's a camera phone.

DOCTOR: On the counter, by the DVDs.

AMY: Thank you.

While AMY goes to get her phone, the DOCTOR joins RORY by the doors.

RORY: How do we get in?

DOCTOR: I don't know. Push a button.

There's a panel to the side of the door with two buttons: a green anchor on top and a red waterfall on the bottom. RORY presses the green anchor. The doors slide open to reveal a plain white room with a pair of white chairs and a table with a large magnifying glass on top.

DOCTOR: OK, so, rain check on the soaring silver colonnades.

INT. GREEN ANCHOR ROOM

The DOCTOR and RORY enter the room and loo around. The doors slide closed behind them.

RORY: It's a magnifying glass.

The DOCTOR looks through the glass.

EXT. TARDIS

AMY sees the closed doors.

AMY: Hey? Hey, it's locked.

INT. GREEN ANCHOR ROOM

RORY: Yeah, push the button.

EXT. TARDIS

AMY presses the red waterfall button and the doors open.

INT. RED WATERFALL ROOM

The room is identical to the green anchor room including the magnifying glass.

AMY: Rory?

CONTINUED, INTERCUT WITH –

- CUT TO:

INT. GREEN ANCHOR ROOM

RORY: Come on, Amy!

The doors close behind AMY.

AMY: Great!

RORY opens the doors by AMY isn't there.

RORY: Where is she? Where on wherever we are is my wife?

The DOCTOR sits on one of the chairs and presses a green button on the magnifying glass. A blurry picture of AMY appears in the glass as she peers into it from the red waterfall room.

DOCTOR: Rory... I think I've found her.

AMY sees them through the glass.

RORY: What do you mean you've found her? Whoa! No, but, she's not... she's not here! I can see her, but she's not here.

AMY: Where am I? In fact, where are you?

The door to the green anchor room slides open and there is a white handbot standing there. It has a blank head and real hands. The DOCTOR and RORY put their hands up.

RORY: Whoa.

DOCTOR: Hands! Hello. Hands. Handbot with hands, Rory.

HANDBOT: Welcome to the Twostreams Facility. Will you be visiting long?

AMY: Er, Doctor. Something's happening.

DOCTOR: Amy! (tries to get the picture back) Stay calm! Stay still! Ah, time's gone wobbly. (uses the sonic on the glass) I hate it when it does that.

HANDBOT: (reaches its hand out) Will you be visiting long?

RORY: (backs away) Good question, bit sinister. What's the answer to not get us k*lled?

The DOCTOR gets AMY back. She's sitting curled up in a corner.

DOCTOR: It's OK, I've got you, you're fine.

HANDBOT: Will you be visiting long?

RORY: Doctor, a little help. Doctor.

AMY: And where have you been?

HANDBOT: Will you...?

RORY: What do I tell it?

AMY: I've been here a week!

DOCTOR: A week?! A week?! I'm so sorry! Aha! Same room, different times. Two timestreams running parallel but at different speeds. Amy, you're in a faster timestream.

AMY: Doctor, it's going again!

The handbot reaches its hand closer to RORY.

RORY: Doctor!

DOCTOR: AMY!

AMY: DOCTOR!

Matt Smith
Karen Gillan
Arthur Darvil

DOCTOR WHO
"The Girl Who Waited"
By Tom Macrae

Producer
Marcus Wilson

Director
Nick Hurran

INT. RED WATERFALL ROOM

AMY is sitting in one of the chairs, her feet up on the table, when the DOCTOR reconnects and appears in the glass.

DOCTOR: (through glass)
Come on. Gotcha! There. Stabilised, settled, shh!

- CUT TO:

INT. GREEN ANCHOR ROOM

RORY is cornered by the handbot.

RORY: Why has this got hands?

DOCTOR: (walks over) Organic skin, ultimate universal interface, grown and grafted, not born. It's actually seeing with its fingers, scanning the room. But why not just give it eyes?

HANDBOT: Will you be visiting long?

DOCTOR: As long as it takes. (peers through the glass at AMY) Amy, what exactly did you do?

AMY: I just, I came in, and I pressed the door button.

RORY: Ah... Amy, there are two buttons. Green anchor, red waterfall. Which one did you push?

AMY: I pushed the red waterfall.

RORY: (opens the door and steps out) Great.

The doors slide shut behind him and RORY then pushes the red waterfall button. The doors open again but the red waterfall room is empty.

RORY: Amy?

RORY steps out, groans as the doors shut, then presses the green anchor and returns to the DOCTOR.

RORY: I pressed Red Waterfall, and she wasn't there!

DOCTOR: So you can't follow her directly. You know, it's never simple! Hear that, Handbot? She just pressed the wrong button. We're aliens, we didn't know.

HANDBOT: Statement... rejected. (a red light on its chest brightens) Apalapucia is under planet-wide quarantine. This is a kindness facility for those infected with Chen7.

DOCTOR: (covers his mouth and nose with his jacket) What?

RORY: (mouth and nose also covered) Chen7, hmm?

DOCTOR: The one day plague.

RORY: What, you get it for a day?

DOCTOR: No, you get it, and you die in a day.

In the glass, AMY has covered her mouth as well.

HANDBOT: There are 40,000 residents in the Twostreams Facility. Please remain in the sterile areas. Visiting hours are now.

The handbot puts its hands together and transports away. The DOCTOR and RORY lower their jackets.

DOCTOR: Sterile area, I'm safe. (sits)

AMY: (smacks the glass) What about me!

DOCTOR: Chen7 only affects two-hearted races like Apalapucians.

RORY: And Time Lords.

DOCTOR: Yeah, like me. In that facility, I'm dead in a day. Time moves faster on Amy's side of the glass. Amy, you said you'd been here a week. What did you eat?

AMY: Nothing. I wasn't hungry.

DOCTOR: No, because Red Waterfall time is compressed. That's the point. The Time Glass syncs up the timestreams for visits. You could be here for a day, watch them live out their entire lives.

RORY: And watch them grow old in front of your eyes? That's horrible.

DOCTOR: No, Rory, it's kind. You've got a choice. Sit by their bedside for 24 hours and watch them die, or sit in here for 24 hours and watch them live. Which would you choose?

The DOCTOR picks up the glass and it disappears from the red waterfall room.

AMY: Doctor?! (feels the space where the glass was) Doctor, don't leave me! (buries her head in her hands)

The DOCTOR has moved the glass to the side of the room and is looking at AMY in profile.

DOCTOR: I'm here, Amy. I'm right here.

AMY: Where are you? Am I looking at you?

DOCTOR: Turn left, just a fraction. (she moves) Bit more, stop. That's it.

AMY: Eye to eye?

DOCTOR: Eye to eye to eye.

RORY: Hello.

DOCTOR: Amy, I'm taking the Time Glass back to the TARDIS. Like satnav, I'll use it to get a lock, then smash through, using the TARDIS to get you out. Until then, you're on your own. (using the sonic on the glass)

RORY: What are you doing?

DOCTOR: Locking onto Amy. Small act of vandalism, no-one'll mind. (alarm sounds) Ah, that will be the small act of vandalism alarm. Amy, I need you to go into the facility just for a bit. Find somewhere safe and leave me a sign. Remember, you're immune to Chen7, but don't let them give you anything. They don't know you're alien. Their kindness will k*ll you. Now go!

AMY presses the "Check In" button and the door slides open. She turns around and faces them.

AMY: Rory, I love you. Now, save me. Go on.

The doors slide shut.

INT. TWOSTREAMS FACILITY, CHECK-IN

AMY is sprayed with a decontaminate.

INT. TARDIS

The DOCTOR carries the time glass to the console and inserts it.

DOCTOR: This is locked onto Amy permanently. Play the signal into the console, the TARDIS'll follow it.

The DOCTOR attaches a cable to the glass that sets off some smoke before looking through a tool chest of odds and ends.

DOCTOR: Now then, I know you're in here. Um... erm.. Haha! (puts on a pair of black-rimmed glasses) How do I look? (faces RORY)

RORY: Ridiculous.

DOCTOR: Glasses are cool. See? (puts them on RORY) Oh, yes. Hello, handsome man.

RORY: Oh, hello.

DOCTOR: Hello, Rorycam!

RORY: Huh? (whatever RORY looks at appears on the monitors) Oh, you can see what I see.

DOCTOR: We're breaking into Twostreams. Now, I can't go in, the Chen7'll k*ll me, no regeneration. You will be my eyes and ears.

RORY: (nods) Rory-cam. Rescue Amy. Got it.

DOCTOR: That's the spirit! Now, smashing through a timewall could get a bit hairy.

RORY: Is it safe?

DOCTOR: Don't know. Never tried. Best hold onto something.

INT. TWOSTREAMS FACILITY, CHECK-IN

AMY walks through a monochromatic welcome area. It looks like it can hold many people but it's empty. A beam of light singles out AMY.

COMPUTER: Welcome to the Twostreams Facility.

The light disappears.

AMY: Erm, who are you and why can't I see you?

The light reappears.

COMPUTER: I am the Interface, between yourself and the systems of the Twostreams Facility. I will be your guide, your teacher, your friend.

The light shuts off and a hologram of a woman appears behind the counter.

HOLOGRAM: Welcome to Twostreams. What is your name, please?

AMY: Amy. Amy Pond.

HOLOGRAM: Welcome, Amy Pond. I see you're travelling alone. As a resident you will now have access to all of the entertainment zones inside. For a taste of adventure, why not try the mountain zone, (a picture appears on screen) and explore Apalapucia's famous Glasmir Mountains. Or try our roller-coaster zone, authentically modelled on the famous Warpspeed Death Ride at Disneyland, Clom. All that you could wish for and more is through the Departure Gate, (motions with her hand) provided for you with kindness.

INT. TWOSTREAMS FACILITY, ARRIVALS

AMY walks up steps to another area rooms to one side. One of the handbots is patrolling.

COMPUTER: Unexpected visitor. Welcome. Please seek assistance.

AMY runs up to the handbot.

AMY: Hello? Hey! Oi, wait!

The handbot turns and scans her.

HANDBOT: You are carrying unregistered bacteria. Please let me help you.

The handbot's chest panel opens and it removes a syringe.

AMY: No, I'm not from this world. Your medicine'll k*ll me!

HANDBOT: Statement... rejected. Do not be alarmed. This is a kindness. (holds out the syringe)

AMY: (hides) No, no, please, I hate needles.

HANDBOT: Secondary delivery system engaged.

The handbot's head opens to show a large g*n surrounded by needles. It turns towards AMY and fires. A needle lands right by where she is hiding.

HANDBOT: Unauthorised infection on check-in, version 223.

Two more handbots appear beside the first. AMY turns to go the other way but finds it blocked by two more handbots. She jumps over the counter and ducks inside.

INT. TWOSTREAMS FACILITY, MAINTENANCE

AMY runs down a stairwell to an open maintenance area.

COMPUTER: Unauthorised resident detected.

AMY: Come on. (ducks around a corner)

A handbot sticks its hand into the room, scanning for her.

HANDBOT: This is a kindness. Do not be alarmed. This is a kindness.

AMY runs across the room and hides behind a large piece of equipment. She hears the handbot stop and peers under the equipment. She shrieks when its hand turns in her direction. She runs away from it.

COMPUTER: Unauthorised resident detected. Unauthorised resident detected.

Three handbots materialize in front of AMY, blocking her way.

AMY: No. No, no...

HANDBOT: This is a kindness. Do not be alarmed. This is a kindness. This is a kindness. Do not be alarmed.

AMY runs for the vent in the center of the room and pulls the grating off hoping to use it as an escape route.

AMY: Come on, please...

The handbots stop and scan the room.

HANDBOT: No residents detected. No residents detected.

The handbots walk away.

AMY: They didn't see me, they didn't see me.

INT. TARDIS

The DOCTOR laughs as he holds onto the console as the TARDIS knocks them about crossing the timestream.

INT. TWOSTREAMS FACILITY, GALLERY

The TARDIS materializes and RORY steps out. He is wearing the glasses and has the time glass attached to a belt worn across his body.

RORY: Red Waterfall! We made it.

- CUT TO:

INT. TARDIS

The DOCTOR is at the console watching the monitors.

DOCTOR: Good old us!

RORY: How do we know that we're in the same Red Waterfall as Amy?

DOCTOR: Focus on the positive. We locked onto Amy's timestream.

RORY'S eyes drift to the Venus di Milo's breasts.

DOCTOR: Eyes front, soldier!

RORY: Right, yes, sorry.

DOCTOR: Apalapucians are the great cultural scavengers, Rory, this gallery's a scrapbook of their favourite places.

RORY: (walks through the gallery) Bit of Earth, bit of alien, bit of... whatever the hell that is.

INT. TWOSTREAMS FACILITY, GATE

AMY runs into a room and watches as the doors slide closed behind her. She turns to see six apparent doorways to nowhere. In the center is a small pedestal with buttons on it; one for every doorway.

AMY: Interface?

The light shines down on her.

INTERFACE: I am here, Amy Pond.

AMY: Shhh, shhh. Turn that light off! )the light shuts off) So I'm... what is this? How does it work?

INTERFACE: This is the Gate. From here you may depart to any of Twostreams' entertainment zones. (AMY presses a button) Cinema. (another) Aquarium. (third) Garden.

AMY: Garden? Why not? (presses button again)

COMPUTER: Garden.

The lights flash through the doorway, like something passing at speed. When it stills, AMY runs through the doorway.

INT. TWOSTREAMS FACILITY, GARDEN

The garden is formal in nature with very high and strangely trimmed topiary hedges.

AMY: It's... beautiful. I mean, freaky hedges.

INTERFACE: The perfect replica of a Shill Governor's Mansion on Shallanna.

AMY: You really could spend a lifetime in here. Not that I'm going to.

AMY explores and finds a covered terrace with columns and statues.

AMY: Interface?

INTERFACE: Amy Pond?

AMY: I need somewhere safe to hide and wait for my friends. Where in Twostreams is safe?

INTERFACE: Twostreams is a safe, nurturing environment.

AMY: You know what I mean. Where can I go so the Handbots can't find me? Before, I was stood by a sort of vent, and there was light and smoke and the Handbots couldn't see me. Why not? OK, I'll put it another way. What were those vent thingies?

INTERFACE: The vents channel the exhaust fumes from the temporal engines that hold the multiple timestreams in place.

AMY: And these temporal engines mess up the Handbots' sensors. So where's the temporal engines?

INTERFACE: Temporal engines held within.

AMY: OK...

Two handbots appear on either side of AMY, hands out.

HANDBOT: Do not be alarmed. This is a kindness.

As they approach, she backs away and then forces them to touch the other's hand and they short out.

AMY: Ha! Don't like that, do you?!

AMY pushes a door open and goes inside.

INT. TWOSTREAMS FACILITY, TEMPORAL ENGINES

AMY walks up to the massive industrial engines.

AMY: Temporal engines. Somewhere to hide.

AMY writes on the door in red lipstick "Doctor, I'm waiting" and draws an arrow pointing to the handle before going back inside.

RORY is walking through the rooms.

RORY: Where... is everyone?

- CUT TO:

INT. TARDIS

The DOCTOR is at the console watching the monitors.

DOCTOR: Right, Rory, switch the Time Glass on and sonic it. I'll send a command to the screwdriver. Amy's here somewhere. If I can just get a lock on her. I wonder what happens if we mix the filters?

RORY uses the sonic on the time glass and we see lots of people milling about, all out of focus.

DOCTOR: And there they are. 40,000 time streams overlapping. Red Waterfall isn't one time stream. It's thousands.

RORY: Are they happy?

DOCTOR: Oh, Rory. Trust you to think of that. I think they're happy to be alive. Better than the alternative.

RORY lowers the time glass in time to see someone in pieced-together armor charging at him with a katana.

RORY: I come in peace! Peace, peace, peace, peace! (falls to his back on the floor, sword at his throat)

The warrior has long red hair and green eyes. It speaks with a computer enhanced voice.

WARRIOR: I waited.

RORY: Sorry, what?

WARRIOR: I waited for you. (pulls sword away) I waited! (lifts visor to reveal an older AMY)

RORY: Amy. Doctor, what's going on?

DOCTOR: (stares at the feed of AMY) Er...

RORY: Amy. (stands)

DOCTOR: (over comms)
'I think the time stream lock might be a bit wobbly.'

AMY draws her sword back to strike.

RORY: (pleads) No, please. Please!

AMY: Duck.

RORY ducks and AMY puts the sword through the handbot's head. It falls backwards to the floor. Neither the DOCTOR nor RORY know what to say.

AMY: Handbots carry a black box in case they go offline. I've changed the cause of termination from hostile to accidental. (over comms) 'Easy to re-programme. Using my sonic probe.' (replaces the box)

RORY: Amy.

AMY: Rory.

RORY: Why?

AMY: I've survived this long by making the Handbots think I don't exist. Don't touch the hands. Anaesthetic transfer - if they touch you, you go to sleep.

RORY: But you're still here?

AMY: You didn't save me. (strides away)

RORY: (catches up) This is the saving! This is the us saving you! The Doctor just got the timing a bit out!

DOCTOR: (mouths) Sorry.

AMY: (doesn't make eye contact) I've been on my own here a long, long time. I've had decades to think nice thoughts about him. Got a bit harder to stay charitable once I entered decade four.

RORY: 40 years? Alone?

AMY: 36 years. Thanks! (pushes back her hair)

RORY: No. Right, I mean... you look great. Really. Really.

AMY: Eyes front, soldier.

RORY: Still can't win then.

AMY: In fact, I think I can now definitely say I hate him. I hate The Doctor. I hate him more than I've ever hated anyone in my life. (over monitor) You can hear every word of this through those ridiculous glasses, can't you, Raggedy Man?

DOCTOR: Ah. Yes. Putting the speaker phone on.

AMY: (over monitor)
You told me to wait. And I did. A lifetime.

DOCTOR: Amy...

You've got nothing to say to me.

DOCTOR: Behind you!

Two handbots are closing in on them. AMY tosses her staff to RORY, ducks and presses the handbots' hands together.

AMY: Feedback. Knocks them out. Learned that trick on my first day. (leaves)

INT. TWOSTREAMS FACILITY

AMY strides along the outer corridor followed by RORY

RORY: OK, so we just take the TARDIS back to the right time stream, yeah? We can stop any of this happening.

- CUT TO:

INT. TARDIS

DOCTOR: We locked on to a time stream, Rory. This is it.

RORY: This is so wrong.

AMY: I got old, Rory, what did you think was going to happen?

RORY: Hey! (grabs her arm) I don't care that you got old! I care that we didn't grow old together. Amy, come on, please.

AMY: (pulls her arm away) Don't touch me. Don't do that. (continues walking)

RORY: It's like you're not even her.

AMY: 36 years, three months, four days of solitary confinement. (stops in front of the Arrivals door and looks at the glasses)(over monitor) This facility was built to give people the chance to live. I walked in here and I d*ed. Do you have anything to say? Anything, Doctor?

DOCTOR: Where did you get a sonic screwdriver?

I made it. And it's a sonic probe.

RORY: You made a sonic screwdriver?

Probe. (goes through doors)

RORY follows AMY as she goes through a curtain made from miscellaneous materials. Standing in a corner is a Handbot.

RORY: Oh!

The Handbot turns and there is a smiley face drawn on him.

AMY: Don't worry about him. Sit down, Rory.

RORY and the Handbot both sit.

RORY: You named him after me?

AMY: Needed a bit of company.

RORY: So, he's like your...

AMY: Pet.

With RORY looking at the handbot, AMY pulls out lipstick and twists it open.

RORY: Is it safe?

AMY: Yep. I disarmed it.

RORY: How? (sees the hands have been cut off) Oh, you... disarmed it.

AMY: (lifts the lipstick to her mouth then changes her mind) Oh, don't get sentimental, it's just a robot. You'd have done the same.

DOCTOR: I don't know that I would have.

And there he is - the voice of God. Survive. Cos no-one's going to come for you. Number one lesson. (to glasses) You taught me that.

Is that really all I taught you?

Don't you lecture me, blue-box man flying through time and space on whimsy. All I've got - all I've had for 36 years - is cold, hard reality. (to glasses) So, no, I don't have a sonic screwdriver because I'm not off on a romp. I call it what it is - a probe. And I call my life what it is... Hell. (turns away)

DOCTOR: Amy Pond, I am going to put this right. You said you learned from an Interface. Can I speak with it?

AMY: Doesn't work in here. (checks watch) 2:23, the garden'll be clear now. (to RORY) Stay or go?

RORY: Sorry, me? No, I'm coming with you!

AMY: Then try not to get k*lled. Or do. Whatever.

AMY leaves and RORY follows, as does the handbot.

INT. TWOSTREAMS FACILITY, GARDEN, TERRACE

AMY: When I first came here, I had to trick the Interface into giving me the information, but I've reprogrammed it now. It'll tell me anything except how to escape.

RORY: You hacked it? That's genius!
CUT TO:
INT. TARDIS

Sorry to interrupt that beautiful moment, (in TARDIS) but temporal engines have a regulator valve, which has to be kept from the main reactor or there's feedback. Interface, where's the regulator?

INTERFACE: (prints appear on monitor) The regulator valve is held within.

DOCTOR: Ah! Oh, very, very "ah!" Interface, I need to run through some technical specifications. Rory, give me to Amy a minute.

RORY: Here you go.

RORY goes to put the glasses on AMY but she pulls her head away. He hands them to her and she puts them on.

AMY: They look ridiculous.

RORY: That's what I told him. Still, anything beats a fez, eh?

They share a laugh but AMY stops.

RORY: What is it?

AMY: I think that's the first time I've laughed in 36 years.

They look at each other, thinking of all that lost time. In the TARDIS, the DOCTOR witnesses this as well.

RORY: I'll just, um, leave you two geniuses alone. I'll be back in a minute. (walks away)

There's still time, Amy. There's still time to fix everything.

RORY wanders through the garden and soon comes across a doorway.

RORY: How can you have a door without a wall? (walks into an invisible barrier) Oh! (reaches out his hands) Holographic wallpaper? (turns and sees a handbot) Oh, sorry.

The handbot reaches out a hand and touches RORY'S face. RORY falls to the ground.

The handbot's head opens and it prepares to fire. AMY cuts the head off with her sword.

RORY: Oh.

AMY: Rory? (kneels beside him)

RORY: Glasses.

AMY: (stands and turns away) You stupid...

RORY: Oh! You saved me.

AMY: Don't get used to it.

RORY: Have you been crying? A little bit?

AMY: Shut up, Rory.

RORY: You have, haven't you?

AMY: Woman with a sword. Don't push it.

RORY raises his hands in surrender and the DOCTOR chuckles.

DOCTOR: OK, so here's the plan. (over comms) Time is always a bit wibbly-wobbly, but in Twostreams it's extra wubbly.

AMY gives the glasses back to RORY.

DOCTOR: I've worked out how to hijack the temporal engines and then fold two points of Amy's timeline together. We're bringing her out of the then and into the now! Amy, I just need to borrow your brain a minute, it won't hurt, probably - almost probably... (over comms) and then, Amy Pond, I'm going to save you.

AMY: (stares into the glasses) No! takes out probe) Time's up, Handbots coming. (leaves)

INT. TWOSTREAMS FACILITY

Amy, you've got to help us help you. I need you to think back

- CUT TO:

INT. TARDIS

DOCTOR: 36 years ago. Amy? Amy!?

RORY lifts the time glass to the door over faded markings and sees the message AMY left in lipstick.

RORY: You told her to leave us a sign. And she did. And she waited. Oh, Amy.

RORY: Why won't you help yourself?

AMY: He wants to rescue Past Me from 36 years back, which means I'll cease to exist. Everything I've seen and done dissolves, time is rewritten.

RORY: (stops) That's... That's good, isn't it?

AMY: I will die. Another Amy will take my place, an Amy who never got trapped at Twostreams, who grew old with you, and she, in 36 years, won't be me.

RORY: But you'll die in here.

AMY: Not if you take me with you. (over monitor) You came to rescue me, so rescue me.

RORY: Leave her and take you?

DOCTOR: We could take this Amy with us, easy, but if we do, our Amy has to wait 36 years to be rescued.

RORY: So I have to choose - which wife do I want?

AMY: She is me. We're both me.

RORY: You being here is wrong. For a single day, an hour, let alone a lifetime. I swore to protect you...I promised.

Without a word, AMY goes through the curtain into her living space.

DOCTOR: Rory...

RORY: This is your fault.

DOCTOR: I'm so sorry, but Rory...

RORY: No! This is your fault! You should look in a history book once in a while, see if there's an outbreak of plague or not.

DOCTOR: That is not how I travel.

RORY: Then I do not want to travel with you!

RORY rips the glasses off and throws them to the ground. After a burst of feedback, the DOCTOR can hear AMY sobbing.

Rory, is the time glass still on? If the link's still active, I think I can hear Amy. Our Amy.

RORY lifts the time glass and aims it into the small room. He sees AMY as they left her. Her head is bowed and she is crying to the wall.

RORY: Oh, Amy.

RORY enters the room, still looking through the glass. THEN AMY turns around as if sensing him. RORY then goes over to NOW AMY and kneels.

RORY: Look me in the face and say you won't help her.

AMY: (looks him in the eye) I will not help her.

RORY: OK... OK.

RORY stands and walks for a bit, thinking. He leans against a piece of furniture and holds the time glass up in front of him.

RORY: Look me in the face and say it now.

THEN AMY appears in the glass, still crying.

THEN AMY: Rory? Rory is that you?

RORY sonics the time glass and it appears in front of THEN AMY.

THEN AMY: (approaches the glass) Rory, where are you?

RORY: Same place as you - and a bit ahead.

NOW AMY: (peers into the glass) I remember this.

THEN AMY: (through glass)
But who's she? There's no-one else here, but... me.

RORY steps outside, leaving the AMYS alone. HANDBOT RORY shows him the glasses. RORY takes them.

THEN AMY: Why are we still here!?

NOW AMY: Because they leave you. Because they get in their TARDIS and they fly away.

THEN AMY: No, Rory wouldn't, not ever. Something must have stopped him.

NOW AMY: You did. Or rather, the old version of you. (through glass) The Me version of you. I refuse to help them. I won't let them save myself.

THEN AMY: Why?

NOW AMY: If you escape, then I was never trapped here, the last 36 years of my life rewrites, and I cease to exist. That's why Old Me refused to help then... that's why I'm refusing to help now... and that's why you'll refuse to help when it's your turn. Nothing you can say will change that.

THEN AMY: Three words. What about Rory?

NOW AMY: Rory? I... I called my robot Rory.

THEN AMY: (through glass)
You called your robot Rory? (normal) You didn't call it The Doctor, or Biggles, (through glass) our favourite cat?

NOW AMY: Do you, um...(through glass) remember that summer when he came back to school with that ridiculous haircut?

THEN AMY: He said he'd been in a rock band.

They both laugh.

BOTH: Liar.

NOW AMY: And then he had to learn to play the guitar.

THEN AMY: So we wouldn't know he couldn't play it. Mm-hmm.

NOW AMY: All those boys chasing me, but it was only ever Rory. Why was that?

THEN AMY: You know when sometimes you meet someone so beautiful, (through glass) and then you actually talk to them, and five minutes later they're as dull as a brick?

At this point, the AMYS appear side-by-side on the screen, each looking at the other through the glass.

THEN AMY: Then there's other people, and you meet them and think, "Not bad, they're OK." And then you get to know them... and their face just sort of becomes them. Like their personality's written all over it. And they just turn into something so beautiful?

BOTH: Rory's the most beautiful man I've ever met.

THEN AMY: Please. Do it for him.

NOW AMY: You're asking me to defy destiny, causality, the nexus of time itself, for a boy?

THEN AMY: You're Amy... he's Rory... and oh, yes, I am.

NOW AMY leaves her space and joins RORY outside.

NOW AMY: I'm going to pull time apart for you.

She kisses him and they hug. She cries.

- CUT TO:

INT. TARDIS

NOW AMY: (over monitors)
OK, Doctor, Twostreams is back on air. Right, OK, so this is big news, (normal) this is temporal earthquake time. I am now officially changing my own future. Hold on to your spectacles. In my past, I saw my future self refuse to help you. I'm now changing that future and agreeing. Every law of time says that shouldn't be possible.

DOCTOR: Yes, except sometimes knowing your own future is what enables you to change it, especially if you're bloody minded, contradictory and completely unpredictable.

RORY: So, basically, if you're Amy, then?

DOCTOR: (over comms) Yes, if anyone could defeat pre-destiny, (in TARDIS) it's your wife.

NOW AMY: It's not about what I'm doing, but who I'm doing it for.

In the past, THEN AMY opens the door cautiously and steps out. The message she left for the DOCTOR is still clear on the door.

NOW AMY: I'm trusting you to watch my back, Rory.

RORY: Always. You and me, always.

NOW AMY: Cos here's the deal... you take me too in the TARDIS. Me too.

RORY: But that means that there'll be two of you, permanently, forever.

NOW AMY: And that way we both get to live.

RORY: Two Amys together. Can that work?

DOCTOR: I don't know, it's your marriage.

RORY: Doctor!

DOCTOR: (scratches head)Perhaps, maybe, if I shunted the reality compensators on the TARDIS, re-calibrated the doomsday bumpers and jettisoned the karaoke bar, yes, maybe, yes. It could do it. The TARDIS could sustain the paradox.

RORY: (over monitors) Right. Amy...(holds up the glass to see THEN AMY) and Amy. The wife and the wife, right.

DOCTOR: OK, Amy - Past Amy – stand by the door. Future Amy, you too. Future Amy, can I borrow your sonic scr... probe?

NOW AMY: It's a screwdriver! (hands it to RORY)

RORY uses the DOCTOR'S sonic screwdriver on AMY'S before tossing it back to her.

DOCTOR: (over comms) Rory, sonic it, double our power. Amy Now, you're our link to Amy Then. (in TARDIS) We need to get a signal through.(comms) That signal will be a thought. (TARDIS) Amy Now and Amy Then, share a thought. Something so powerful (comms) that it can rip through time. Rory, (TARDIS) sonic the plinth front. Inside (comms) you'll find three levers and a jumble of wiring. (TARDIS) That's the regulator valve.

RORY follows the DOCTOR'S instructions.

DOCTOR: After we've rebooted, (comms) you have ten minutes to get back to the TARDIS.

RORY: OK.

DOCTOR: Pull out the red and green receptors, re-route blue into red and (comms) green into blue. Leave red loose and on (TARDIS) no account touch anything yellow.

RORY pulls out the green and blue and stares at them.

DOCTOR: (comms) Come on, Rory. It's hardly rocket science. (TARDIS) It's just quantum physics.

RORY: Yes, right. Blue into red...

As RORY works on the wires, NOW AMY looks around watchfully.

DOCTOR: Now the lever. Throw them in order! (comms) Amys, start thinking the most important thought you've ever had. (TARDIS) Hold it in your head and do not let it go! Lever one.

RORY pulls the lever.

NOW AMY: Macarena.

BOTH: Macarena, Macarena.

RORY: She's doing The Macarena.

THEN AMY: (does the steps) Macarena.

RORY: Our first kiss.

DOCTOR: Lever two, Rory.

RORY pulls the next lever. THEN AMY starts to flicker.

DOCTOR: Lever three.

RORY pulls the last lever and the time glass shatters. Sparks fly on the TARDIS. The corridor where THEN AMY had been standing alone is empty.

RORY: Oh, Amy.

THEN AMY: (sees her older self) Oh, my God.

NOW AMY: Oh, my God.

RORY comes up to THEN AMY and takes her in a big hug. They break apart and giggle. They become self-conscious in front of NOW AMY.

RORY: Sorry...

NOW AMY: Hello.

THEN AMY: Hello!

BOTH: I don't know what to...

RORY: (whispers) Weird.

BOTH: OK, this is weird. Right, just stop doing that.

RORY: How about Amy One speaks first?

BOTH: Which one's Amy One?

RORY: Well...

BOTH: I am. No, I am! Rory! Rory, just stop doing that!

The glasses start sparking.

RORY: Ah!

DOCTOR: Oh. Rory, Rory, take the glasses off. You're getting temporal feedback.

RORY throws the glasses to the floor. Inside the TARDIS, the console sparks and smokes.

DOCTOR: (over comms) Whoa! Calm down, dear! (TARDIS) Rory, Amy, we've created a massive paradox and the TARDIS hates it. (frantically works controls) She's self-phasing, trying to get out of here. What's nasty Amy done to you? Just calm down, dear. Hang on in there. (goes to monitor) Rory, you've got eight minutes left. I'm sorry, you're on your own now.

The glasses spark and die and the DOCTOR can only see static.

RORY: I'm not on my own. I've got my wives. (holds both thumbs up)

HANDBOT: Do not be alarmed...

RORY: Incoming!

Three handbots are marching towards them.

HANDBOT: ..this is a kindness.

NOW AMY: (gives THEN AMY her staff) With me.

HANDBOT: Do not be alarmed, this is a kindness. This is a kindness.

RORY and the AMYS take position. NOW AMY creeps along the side and takes out one of the handbots. She looks back at her younger self.

NOW AMY: Amy, Kate Hayler, year ten hockey.

THEN AMY: Go for the shins!

THEN AMY smashes the handbot in the shins causing it to flip over onto its back. RORY is trying to push the final one back and stay out of reach by its hands.

HANDBOT: This is a kindness.

THEN AMY: Duck! (swings the staff, removing the handbot's head)

Five more handbots appear.

RORY: They're cutting off the Departure Gate. We can't get back to the TARDIS.

NOW AMY: Side door. We'll go behind them.

They jump over the counter like AMY did that first day and go inside.

INT. TWOSTREAMS FACILITY, STAIRWELL

NOW AMY is leading RORY and THEN AMY.

THEN AMY: Think you're coming with us, just like that?

NOW AMY: Yeah, just like that.

THEN AMY: Rory, talk to her!

NOW AMY: Rory! Talk to her!

RORY: Now, ladies...

INT. TWOSTREAMS FACILITY, MAINTENANCE

THEN AMY: Where are you going to live?

NOW AMY: Not with you, don't worry. I'll go travelling. Pop back for Christmas, maybe Easter.

RORY: Amy, you always say, cooking Christmas dinner, you wish there was two of you.

INT. TWOSTREAMS FACILITY, GATE

THEN AMY takes up position at the door with the staff while NOW AMY and RORY stand by the controls. THEN AMY uses the sonic "probe" on the door.

RORY: Can't we just teleport in?

NOW AMY: It's not a teleport, it's a time jump.

THEN AMY: They can't shunt within the same timestream.

NOW AMY: Yes.

RORY: The TARDIS is in the Gallery.

INTERFACE: Gallery closed.

NOW AMY: (presses the controls) Controls are stuck. They've locked them from outside.

RORY: Can you unlock them?

NOW AMY: Yeah, give me a minute and your cutest smile. (RORY smiles quickly) That's the one.

RORY: Can you stop flirting with me? You're old enough to be...

NOW AMY: I've known you my whole life. How many games of Doctors and Nurses?

RORY: Ssh!

NOW AMY: Don't get coy now.

All the Gate doors open and handbots enter.

THEN AMY tosses the staff back to NOW AMY.

RORY uses the sonic on the controls and presses the button.

NOW AMY leads the way through the door and uses her sword and staff on the handbots waiting on the other side. THEN AMY and RORY run across the room along the outside. They then push down a handbot.

BOTH: Come on!

NOW AMY: Go! I've got your back!

THEN AMY and RORY go through the door and THEN AMY screams as she almost runs into a handbot.

THEN AMY is confronted by a second handbot who touches her on the side of the face. She falls to the floor. RORY forces the first handbot's hands together. He then runs over to THEN AMY.

RORY: No!

With a yell, RORY takes the "Mona Lisa" and rams it over the handbot's head. The handbot shorts out. He kneels beside THEN AMY. In the first room, NOW AMY continues to fight the handbots. She comes through the door and watches as RORY carries THEN AMY to the TARDIS.

INT. TARDIS

RORY kicks the door open and the DOCTOR rushes to meet him. RORY lays THEN AMY on the floor and the DOCTOR covers her with his jacket.

DOCTOR: Ah, it's just an anaesthetic. She'll be fine.

The DOCTOR stands and goes to the door.

The watches NOW AMY. She throws aside her staff and sword and runs for the TARDIS.

DOCTOR: I'm sorry.

The DOCTOR slams the door closed just as she reaches it.

INT. TARDIS

RORY: What are you doing? (stands)

DOCTOR: I lied to her, Rory.

NOW AMY: (pounds on the door) Doctor? Let me in!

DOCTOR: There can't be two Amys in the TARDIS. The paradox is too massive.

RORY: She'll die!

- CUT TO:

NOW AMY: (pounds on the door) Doctor? Let me in!

DOCTOR: No, she'll never have existed. When we save our Amy, this future won't have happened.

RORY: (motions at the door) But she happened! She's there!

NOW AMY: (through door)
Doctor! I trusted you!

DOCTOR: (closes his eyes) No, she's not real.

RORY: She is real. Let her in!

DOCTOR: Look, we take this Amy, we leave ours. There can only be one Amy in the TARDIS. Which one do you want? (puts RORY'S hand on the latch) It's your choice.

RORY: This isn't fair. You're turning me into you.

DOCTOR: Your choice, Rory.

RORY: I, er..

NOW AMY pounds on the door

Doctor?

The DOCTOR walks away from the door.

Doctor! Doctor? Doctor!

The DOCTOR checks on THEN AMY before heading to the console. NOW AMY'S hand appears in one of the clear window panes.

NOW AMY: Rory? Please.

RORY puts his hand to hers against the glass.

NOW AMY: The look on your face when you carried her. Me. Her. (through door) When you carried her away, you used to look at me like that. (outside) I'd forgotten how much you loved me. I'd forgotten how much I loved being her.

RORY is crying, leaning his head against the door.

NOW AMY: Amy Pond, in the TARDIS. With Rory Williams.

RORY: I'm sorry, I can't do this. (starts to turn the latch)

NOW AMY: (lowers her hand to the handle) If you love me, don't let me in.

SPLIT SCREEN—they are both leaning their heads on the door.

NOW AMY: Open that door, I will, I'll come in. I don't want to die. I won't bow out bravely.

The DOCTOR listens at the console.

I'll be kicking and screaming, fighting. (outside) To the end.

RORY: (voice breaking) Oh, Amy. Amy, I love you.

NOW AMY: I love you too. Don't let me in.

OVERLAY—RORY has his head against the door as NOW AMY runs her hand across the door. It looks like she is stroking his head.

NOW AMY: Tell Amy, your Amy, I'm giving her the days. The days with you. The days to come.

RORY: I'm so, so sorry.

NOW AMY: The days I can't have. Take them, please.

NOW AMY fades out until it's just RORY

I'm giving you my days.

RORY: I'm so, so sorry. (lets go of the latch and turns away from the door)

NOW AMY turns to face the five handbots that have arrived.

INT. TARDIS

RORY hears the handbots.

HANDBOT: (through door)
Do not be alarmed. This is a kindness.

NOW AMY stands tall.

NOW AMY: Interface?

INTERFACE: I am here, Amy Pond.

NOW AMY: Show me Earth. Show me home.

A hologram appears of the Earth turning.

NOW AMY: Did I ever tell you about this boy I met there? Who pretended to be in a band?

The projection disappears and NOW AMY stands there and lets one of the handbots touch her. She falls to the floor. As we hear the sound of the TARDIS dematerializing, that timeline is erased.

INT. TARDIS

AMY is sleeping in one of the chairs, the DOCTOR'S jacket still wrapped about her. The DOCTOR and RORY are sitting on the stairs, watching her.

RORY: Did you always know it would never work? Saving both Amys?

DOCTOR: I promised you I'd save her and there she is. Safe. (pats RORY on the shoulder and stands)

RORY: Yeah. There she is.

As the DOCTOR walks down a different set of stairs, AMY wakes up. RORY goes to her side. The DOCTOR sticks his tongue out at them and smiles.

DOCTOR: I'll leave you two alone.

RORY: You all right? (strokes her hair)

AMY: Mm-hm.

RORY: How you feeling?

AMY: Where is she?

The DOCTOR walks away.