07x03 - A Town Called Mercy

Episode transcripts for the 2005 TV show "Doctor Who". (Ninth to Twelfth Doctor)*

Moderator: Kitty Midnight

Time and Space traveling adventures of a Gallifreyan Time Lord only known as "the Doctor" and his companions.

Watch/Buy Amazon  Merchandise  Collectibles

Classic Who   Specials  

07x03 - A Town Called Mercy

Post by bunniefuu »

EXT. DESERT, NIGHT

As we pan across and down from the night sky, there is a WOMAN'S voice-over.

WOMAN: When I was a child, my favourite story was about a man who lived forever, but whose eyes were heavy with the weight of all he'd seen, a man who fell from the stars.

A futuristic drone glides over the ground. It is targeted and sh*t down. As it falls to the ground, we see a MAN kneeling on the ground behind it. The MAN is targeted as well.

MAN: I knew you'd find me eventually.

The GUNSLINGER raises his arm which is a futuristic w*apon. He speaks in a robotic voice.

GUNSLINGER: Make peace with your gods.

MAN: Once they were your gods too.

GUNSLINGER: Not anymore.

The MAN turns and slowly crawls away. He reaches for a g*n lying on the ground and the GUNSLINGER sh**t him. He falls backwards onto the ground with a groan. The GUNSLINGER walks up and we see only one eye is human, the other mechanical. He raises his g*n again.

MAN: Am I the last one?

GUNSLINGER: There's one more. The Doctor. (fires)

Matt Smith
Karen Gillan
Arthur Darvill

DOCTOR WHO
"A Town Called Mercy"
By
Toby Whithouse

PRODUCER
Marcus Wilson

DIRECTOR
Saul Metzstein

EXT. TOWN, DAY

The DOCTOR stands in the road, arms crossed, and reads the sign marking entrance to the town. The population has been crossed out and added to. There is also a "Keep Out" sign nailed to the post.

DOCTOR: "Mercy, 81 residents."

AMY and RORY are standing off to the side looking at a line of stones and branches that seem to ring the town.

AMY: Look at this. It's a load of stones and lumps of wood.

The DOCTOR takes out his sonic and runs it along the line.

AMY: What is it?

DOCTOR: A load of stones and lumps of wood.

The DOCTOR steps over the line and, from above, the GUNSLINGER watches.

RORY: Er, the sign does say, "Keep out."

DOCTOR: I see keep-out signs as suggestions more than actual orders. Like dry clean only.

The DOCTOR rubs his hands together before turning and heading into town. AMY and RORY follow him.

EXT. TOWN, STREET, DAY

They walk down the street and are stared at from behind windows and doorways. A woman clutches her daughter closely. Streetlamps line the road and one sparks as they get close.

DOCTOR: That's not right. (scans with sonic)

RORY: It's a street lamp.

DOCTOR: An electric street lamp about ten years too early.

RORY: It's only a few years out.

DOCTOR: That's what you said when you left your phone recharger in Henry VIII's en-suite.

AMY: Doctor, um...

DOCTOR: Anachronistic electricity, keep-out signs, aggressive stares... Has someone been peeking at my Christmas list? (takes a toothpick from jacket pocket and puts it in mouth)

AMY: Doctor!

INT. SALOON, DAY

The saloon seems to be doing a brisk business. A man plays piano as men drink at the tables or play poker. The DOCTOR pushes open the bat-wing doors and the music and chatter stops. He saunters over to the bar, puts his hand down on the counter and orders in a fake American accent.

DOCTOR: Tea. But the strong stuff. Leave the bag in. (tries to flip the toothpick but it gets stuck)

BARTENDER: What you doing here, son?

DOCTOR: Son? (laughs) You can stay.

Behind them, a man stands, hands gripping his lapels. He's the PREACHER.

PREACHER: Sir, might I enquire who you is?

DOCTOR: (turns) Of course. I am the Doctor, this is...

All the men in the saloon stand.

DOCTOR: No need to stand. (turns to AMY and RORY) You see that? Manners.

Another MAN walks up behind the DOCTOR and measures his shoulders.

DOCTOR: (turns) Oh, thank you, but I don't need a new suit.

MAN: I'm the undertaker, sir.

A YOUNG MAN steps forward.

YOUNG MAN: I got a question. Is you an alien?

DOCTOR: Well, um... Bit personal. It's all relative, isn't it? I mean, I think YOU'RE the aliens. But in this context, yes. Yes, I suppose I am.

The men rush the DOCTOR, lifting him and carrying him outside.

EXT. TOWN, STREET, DAY

The men carry the DOCTOR along the street, AMY and RORY are restrained as they follow.

AMY: Doctor! Put him down!

MAN: Don't think we won't k*ll you.

AMY: Doctor!

RORY: Leave her alone!

DOCTOR: Don't worry! Everything is completely under control!

AMY: (fights those holding her) Get off me!

DOCTOR: Guys! Guys! Oh, dear. (is thrown over the line) Whoa! (stands and cracks his back) Aargh. Ow.

The DOCTOR turns back to the town and the men draw their g*ns on him. The DOCTOR raises his hands. In the distance behind him we see the GUNSLINGER approaching by teleporting shirt distances.

PREACHER: He's coming. Oh, God. He's coming.

YOUNG MAN: Preacher... Say something.

PREACHER: Our Father, who art in Heaven, hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done...

As the PREACHER prays, the DOCTOR slowly turns and sees the GUNSLINGER. He tries to get back over the line but the men refuse to lower their weapons. A g*nsh*t is fired. Everyone turns to look at the newcomer.

MAN: You. Bow tie. (DOCTOR points at himself) Get back across that line. (reveals badge) Now.

The DOCTOR steps back across the line. The GUNSLINGER stops then disappears.

YOUNG MAN: Isaac, he said he was a doctor... an alien doctor.

ISSAC: That a reason to hand him to his death?

YOUNG MAN: But, Isaac, it could be him!

ISSAC: You know it ain't. (turns and walks away with a nod to AMY) Ma'am.

The DOCTOR brushes himself off and straightens his jacket before following after ISSAC. AMY and RORY followed him. Some of the townsfolk aren't so happy.

MAN 1: Just let him go like that?

MAN 2: Be seeing you, boy.

INT. MARSHALL'S OFFICE, DAY

ISSAC walks over to the desk as the DOCTOR, RORY and AMY enter.

DOCTOR: What was that outside?

ISSAC: (sits on the corner of his desk) The Gunslinger. Showed up three weeks back. We've been prisoners ever since. You see that borderline, stretching round the town? Woke up one morning, there it was. Nothing gets past it, in or out. No supply wagons, no reinforcements. Pretty soon, the whole town's going to starve to death.

RORY: But... he let US in.

ISSAC: You ain't carrying any food, just three more mouths to feed. We'll all die even sooner now.

DOCTOR: What happens if someone crosses the line?

ISSAC tosses the DOCTOR a Stetson and he catches it.

DOCTOR: Ah, well...(puts a finger through b*llet hole) He wasn't a very good sh*t then.

ISSAC: He was aiming for the hat.

DOCTOR: He sh**t people's hats?!

AMY: I think it was a warning sh*t.

DOCTOR: (passes hat to RORY) Ah. No. Yes. I see. Hmmm.

AMY: (gets the hat from RORY) What does he want? Has he issued some kind of demand?

AMY passes hat back to RORY who then passes it back to the DOCTOR who, in turn, throws it back to ISSAC.

ISSAC: He says he wants us to give him "the alien doctor".

AMY: But that's you. Why would he want to k*ll you? Unless he's met you.

RORY: And how could he know we'd be here? (whisper) We didn't even know we'd be here.

AMY: (to ISSAC) We were aiming for Mexico. The Doctor was taking us to see the Day of the Dead Festival.

ISSAC: Mexico's 200 miles due south.

DOCTOR: (notices light flicker) Well, that's what happens when people get toast crumbs on the console. Anyway, I think it's about time I met him, don't you? (sit on railing)

ISSAC: Who?

DOCTOR: The chap outside said I could be the alien doctor, but you said I wasn't. So you already know who it is. Two alien Doctors! We're like buses. Resident 81, I presume. So beloved by the townsfolk, he warranted an alteration to the sign. Probably because he rigged up these electrics. And I'm guessing he's in here because if half the town suddenly wanted to throw me to my death... this is where I'd want to be. (hops off the rail and heads for the cell)

ISSAC: I don't know what you... (tries to stop the DOCTOR)

MAN: It's all right, Isaac. I think the time for subterfuge has passed. (gets up from bunk) Good afternoon. My name is Kahler-Jex. I'm the doctor.

JEX is dressed like a professional of the time. He also has a tattoo along the right side of his face similar to that of the man k*lled earlier.

EXT. DESERT, DAY

The GUNSLINGER stands on a bluff overlooking the town and watches.

The DOCTOR shakes JEX'S hand vigorously.

DOCTOR: The Kahler. I love the Kahler. One of the most ingenious races in the galaxy, seriously. They could build a spaceship out of Tupperware and moss.

AMY gently pushes the DOCTOR down into a chair and he releases JEX'S hand.

AMY: All right. How did you get here?

JEX: (sits behind ISSAC'S desk) My craft crashed about a mile or so out of town. I would have d*ed if Isaac and the others hadn't pulled me from the wreckage.

DOCTOR: And you stayed? As their doctor?

JEX: On my world, I was a surgeon, so it seemed logical and it gave me an opportunity to repay my debt to them.

ISSAC: Listen to him. Talking like it was nothing. Tell them about the cholera. (slaps JEX on the back)

JEX: Now, Isaac, I'm sure our guests aren't...

ISSAC: Two years after he arrived, there was an outbreak of cholera. Thanks to the doc here not a single person d*ed.

JEX: A minor infection we'd found a treatment for centuries ago.

ISSAC: No, no, no. What do you call them? The lectricks?

JEX: Using my ship as a generator, I was able to rig up some rudimentary heating and lighting for the town.

DOCTOR: (leans forward) So why does the Gunslinger want you?

ISSAC: It don't matter.

DOCTOR: I'm just saying, if we knew...

ISSAC: America's a land of second chances. We called this town Mercy for a reason. Others... Some round here don't feel that way.

JEX: Now, Isaac, we've discussed this.

ISSAC: People whose lives you saved are suddenly saying we should hand you over.

JEX: They're scared, that's all. You can hardly blame them.

ISSAC: Them being scared, scares me. w*r only ended five years back. That old v*olence is still under the surface. We give up Doc Jex, then we're handing the keys of the town over to chaos.

DOCTOR: Did you try to repair your craft? Surely someone with your skills...

JEX: It really was very badly damaged.

DOCTOR: (stands) We evacuate the town. Our ship's just over the hills. Room for everyone. (sits on desk) I'll pop out, bring it back here. Robert's your uncle.

AMY: Really? Simple as that? No crazy schemes? No negotiations?

DOCTOR: I've matured. I'm 1,200 years old now. Plus, I don't want to miss "The Archers". (stands, picks up Stetson and heads for door)

AMY: Oh, so you're not even a tiny bit curious?

DOCTOR: Why would I be curious? It's a mysterious space cowboy assassin. Curious? Of course I'm not curious. (steps outside)

ISSAC: Son? (DOCTOR comes back) You've still got to get past the Gunslinger. How you going to do that?

DOCTOR: (puts on Stetson) With a little sleight of hand.

The DOCTOR steps outside. RORY and AMY just look at each other.

EXT. DESERT, DAY

RORY and ISSAC are running across the desert, ISSAC is wearing JEX'S coat and hat.

ISSAC: You OK?

RORY: Yeah, fine. Yeah. Keep moving.

ISSAC: Next time... you get to wear Jex's clothes.

From an opposite ridge, the GUNSLINGER watches. He zooms in on ISSAC, but when RORY gets in the way, his computer registers 87% chance of injury to innocent and to disengage. He lowers his w*apon.

EXT. TOWN, DAY

The DOCTOR walks up to the PREACHER who is at a hitching post with his horse.

DOCTOR: Can I borrow your horse, please? It's official Marshall business. (mounts horse)

PREACHER: He's called Joshua. It's from the Bible. It means "The Deliverer."

The horse neighs.

DOCTOR: No, he isn't.

PREACHER: What?

DOCTOR: I speak horse. He's called Susan. And he wants you to respect his life choices.

The DOCTOR and SUSAN gallop out of town.

EXT. DESERT, DAY

RORY and ISSAC are making their way along the base of a ridge when the ground between them explodes from a g*nsh*t.

RORY: I, uh... I think he's seen us.

ISSAC takes RORY by the arm.

ISSAC: This way.

JEX looks out the window while AMY sits on the desk.

AMY: When this is all done, do you want us to take you home?

JEX: Thank you, but I have already given everything I have to the Kahler. My skills, my energy... all that was good in me. But here... I could start afresh. I could remember myself and help people. That's all I ever wanted to do. End suffering.

AMY: (stands) Here. (puts his jacket over his shoulders)

JEX: You're a mother, aren't you?

AMY: How did you know?

JEX: There's kindness in your eyes. And sadness. But a ferocity too.

AMY: It wasn't exactly straightforward.

JEX: It seldom is.

AMY: And what about you? Are you a father?

JEX: Yes. In a way, I suppose I am.

EXT. DESERT, DAY

ISSAC and RORY take cover against the base of a rocky ledge.

ISSAC: So, we wait here till the Doctor comes to pick us up in your ship.

RORY: Yes, I know. I was there when we agreed it.

ISSAC: Yeah, I said that more for my benefit more than yours.

The DOCTOR is galloping along on SUSAN along a dirt road. He sees something that attracts his attention and slows the horse to a halt.

DOCTOR: Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa. (SUSAN neighs.) Yeah, I know we're in a hurry. I just want to check something out.

(dismounts)
Two ticks. There's something niggling me. (SUSAN snorts) Yes. (goes down on his knees) Yes, it could be important. (SUSAN whinnies) Oi, don't swear.

The DOCTOR finds a hose running along the ground, holds it up in both hands and sniffs it. He then tugs it loose.

The lights flicker and JEX looks at one through his monocle.

EXT. DESERT, DAY

The DOCTOR drops the line and runs back to SUSAN.

JEX continues to look at the lights, a look of concern on his face.

EXT. DESERT, DAY

The DOCTOR follows the line to where it ends, sparking.

DOCTOR: Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa. (SUSAN snorts as he dismounts) Yes, I wear a Stetson now.

The DOCTOR goes up to the mound connected to the line and pulls off a tarp to reveal an ovoid. SUSAN snorts.

DOCTOR: Yes, good point, Susan. (examines capsule) Where IS the damage?

The GUNSLINGER walks to the edge of the ridge and looks down. ISSAC reaches out a hand to keep RORY pressed back against the wall so they won't be seen. The GUNSLINGER picks up their heat signatures and raises his g*n to fire.

The DOCTOR climbs on top of the capsule where he knocks and taps on its surface proving it to be hollow inside. He jumps on it and even slaps it before taking out the sonic and using it on the top. This sets off alarms. The DOCTOR covers his ears as a door slides open.

The sound carries through the desert. The GUNSLINGER hears it and lowers his arm before turning away. ISSAC and RORY lean out to make sure he's gone before leaving in the opposite direction.

AMY opens the main doors and steps out followed by JEX.

EXT. TOWN, DAY

AMY and JEX stand on the porch and look out into the desert.

JEX: That's the alarm on my ship!

AMY: Maybe the Doctor wants to get it working again.

JEX: But that wasn't the plan. He's not following the plan.

AMY: Welcome to my world.

JEX goes back inside and AMY stays on the porch.

EXT. DESERT, DAY

With a groan, the DOCTOR drops into the capsule.

INT. CAPSULE, DAY

The DOCTOR falls into the seat as the computer announces his presence.

COMPUTER: Security breach. You have ten seconds to enter the pass-code or this vehicle will self-destruct. (the DOCTOR uses the sonic on the panel) Thank you for choosing Abaraxas Security Software. Incinerating intruders for three centuries. Nine, eight, seven. (the sonic finally works) Self-destruct over-ridden.

DOCTOR: This is an awful lot of security for a titchy spacecraft...

COMPUTER: Awaiting command.

DOCTOR: Tell me everything you can about the Gunslinger.

COMPUTER: File not found. (DOCTOR groans) Please choose from – Technical Specifications, Flight Recorder, Personal Files, Maps and Charts.

DOCTOR: Personal files of Doctor Kahler-Jex.

JEX'S face appears on screen along with scrolling text.

JEX: (on computer)
Names of deceased subjects can be found on the drop-down menu.

The DOCTOR absorbs the files that include people screaming in pain and agony.

AMY enters the office, closing the doors. When she turns, JEX cocks and aims a g*n at her face.

JEX: I'm sorry, Amy. He really should have followed the plan.

EXT. DESERT, DAY

The DOCTOR stands in the entrance to the capsule. Behind him, the GUNSLINGER aims his g*n to the DOCTOR'S head. As the w*apon powers up, the DOCTOR ducks inside.

DOCTOR: Don't sh**t, don't sh**t! (comes out and faces GUNSLINGER) I know who you are! And who Jex is too! (GUNSLINGER lowers w*apon) Now what I don't understand is why you haven't just walked into the town and k*lled him?

GUNSLINGER: People will get in the way.

DOCTOR: Look, you want justice, you deserve justice, but this isn't the way. We can put him on trial, we can...

GUNSLINGER: (raises w*apon) When he starts k*lling YOUR people, you can use YOUR justice.

The DOCTOR eyes the g*n nervously.

While keeping the g*n trained on AMY, JEX fills his pockets with personal items from his cell.

JEX: Isaac says he doesn't care about my past. But things may have been uncovered that even he might struggle to forgive.

(moves to the door)
So it's best we b*at a hasty retreat.

AMY: We? I'm coming with you?

JEX: It's unlikely the Gunslinger will sh**t if I'm with you. As far as I can tell, he's programmed to take innocent lives only if absolutely necessary.

AMY: Well, colour me reassured(!)

JEX backs out the door only to have a g*n cocked and aimed at the back of his head. ISSAC and RORY force him back inside.

ISSAC: Doc, what are you doin'?

EXT. DESERT, DAY

The GUNSLINGER lowers his w*apon.

GUNSLINGER: No more warning sh*ts. I'll k*ll the next person to step over that line. Make sure it's Jex. (walks away)

JEX is standing in front of the wall, ISSAC, RORY and AMY facing him.

JEX: It was stupid of me, I realise that now. I just thought I'd put you all in enough danger, perhaps if I left...

DOCTOR: (enters and walks over to JEX) He's lying. Every word. Everything he says, it's... all... lies. This man is a m*rder*r.

JEX: I am a scientist.

DOCTOR: Sit down. (JEX refuses) SIT DOWN! (JEX sits) Tell them what you are.

JEX: What am I? A w*r hero.

ISSAC: OK, somebody want to tell me what's going on?

DOCTOR: The Gunslinger is a cyborg.

ISSAC: A what?

DOCTOR: Half man, half machine. A w*apon. Jex built it. He and his team took volunteers, told them they'd be selected for special training, then experimented on them, fused their bodies with weaponry and programmed them to k*ll!

ISSAC: OK, why? Why would you do that, doc?

JEX: We'd been at w*r for nine years. A w*r that had already decimated half of our planet. Our task was to bring peace, and we did. We built an army that routed the enemy and ended the w*r in less than a week. Do you want me to repent? To beg forgiveness for saving millions of lives?!

DOCTOR: And how many d*ed screaming on the operating table before you had FOUND your advantage?!

JEX: w*r is another world. You cannot apply the politics of peace to what I did, to what any of us did.

The DOCTOR walks to the other side of the room by the cell, crosses his arms and leans against the wall.

RORY: But what happened then? How come you're here?

JEX: When the w*r ended, we had the cyborgs decommissioned. But one of them must have got its circuitry damaged in battle. It went offline and began hunting down the team that created it, until just two of us were left. We fled and our ships crashed here.

RORY looks over at the DOCTOR and reaches a hand out as if pleading for the DOCTOR to listen, to help. The DOCTOR ignores him and RORY turns back to the others.

RORY: So what do we do with Jex?

ISSAC: What do we do with him?!

RORY: Yeah, I mean he's a w*r criminal.

ISSAC: No, he's the guy that saved the town from cholera, the guy that gave us heat and light.

AMY: Look, Jex may be a criminal and yeah, kinda creepy...

JEX: And still in the room!

AMY: But I think we should put aside what he did and find another solution.

RORY: Another solution? It's him or us!

AMY: When did we start letting people get ex*cuted? Did I miss a memo? Doctor, tell him.

They all look at the DOCTOR.

DOCTOR: (looks up) Hmm? Yes. I don't know. Whatever Amy said. (looks out the window)

JEX: (polishes monocle) Looking at you, Doctor, is like looking into a mirror. Almost. There's rage there, like me. Guilt, like me. Solitude. Everything but the nerve to do what needs to be done. Thank the Gods my people weren't relying on you to save them...

The DOCTOR rushes at JEX in anger.

DOCTOR: No. NO! (grabs JEX and yanks him up) But these people are! (pushes him towards the door) OUT! OUT! OUT!

AMY and RORY make to follow the DOCTOR but ISSAC points at them in warning. RORY puts his hands up and they follow ISSAC. At the door, RORY stops AMY.

AMY: Oh, you're really letting him do this?

RORY: Save us all? Yeah, I really am.

RORY leaves and AMY follows.

EXT. TOWN, DAY

The DOCTOR shoves JEX through the town.

DOCTOR: MOVE!

JEX: No.

DOCTOR: MOVE!

The townsfolk follow as the DOCTOR and JEX head towards the boundary. The DOCTOR shoves JEX over the line and the man falls to the dirt. The DOCTOR walks back into town, but stops and grabs the g*n out of a man's holster and aims it at JEX'S head as the doctor tries to cross back into the town. JEX raises his hands.

JEX: You wouldn't.

DOCTOR: (cocks hammer) I genuinely don't know...

ISSAC: Doctor. Doctor.

The DOCTOR whirls on ISSAC with his g*n hand but it's AMY who fires a g*n into the air. She lowers the g*n to aim it at the DOCTOR. He lowers his g*n.

AMY: Let him come back, Doctor!

DOCTOR: Or what? You won't sh**t me, Amy!

AMY: How do you know?! Maybe I've changed. (cocks g*n) You've clearly been taking stupid lessons since I saw you last. (waves g*n around and accidentally sh**t the ground) I didn't mean to do that! (does it again)

ISSAC: OK, everyone who isn't an American, drop your g*n.

The DOCTOR walks over to AMY.

DOCTOR: We could end this right now. We could save everyone RIGHT NOW!

AMY: This is not how we roll, and you know it. What's happened to you? When did k*lling someone become an option?

DOCTOR: Jex HAS to answer for his crimes.

AMY: And what then? You going to hunt down everyone who's made a g*n, a b*llet or a b*mb?

DOCTOR: They keep coming back, don't you see? Every time I negotiate, I try to understand. Well, not today! No! Today I honour the victims first! His, the Master's, the Daleks', all the people who d*ed because of MY MERCY!

AMY: See, this is what happens when you travel alone for too long. Well, listen to me, Doctor, we can't be like him. We have to be better than him.

DOCTOR: Amelia Pond... (sighs) Fine. Fine... (turns back) we think of something else. (hands g*n back) But frankly, I'm betting on the Gunslinger. (holds out his hand to JEX and waves his fingers) Jex, move over the line. Now.

The GUNSLINGER is moving closer. He stops just behind JEX, g*n raised to the back of his creator's head. JEX turns to face him and the GUNSLINGER'S computer recognizes JEX by his tattoo.

GUNSLINGER: Make peace with your gods.

JEX: Kahler-Tek, isn't it? I remember all your names, even now. Please. I'd never hurt anyone again. I'm even helping people here.

GUNSLINGER: Last chance. Make peace with your gods. (prepares to fire)

ISSAC: No! (pushes JEX)

ISSAC falls as he is sh*t. The DOCTOR rushes over and kneels beside the marshall, cradling his head.

DOCTOR: Isaac! Isaac, Isaac, it's OK, it's OK. It's OK, we can get you to Jex's surgery, he can save you.

ISSAC: (grips DOCTOR'S hand) Listen to me, you've got to stay, you've got to look after everyone.

DOCTOR: It won't come to that, Isaac.

ISSAC: Protect Jex. Protect my town. (gasps) You're both good men... You just forget it sometimes... (dies)

The DOCTOR removes his hand from ISSAC'S to find the Marshall's badge. He pins it on to his lapel and stands. The townsfolk stand around in shock.

DOCTOR: Take Jex to his cell. If anything happens to him, you'll have me to answer to.

JEX is "escorted" away and the DOCTOR faces the GUNSLINGER.

DOCTOR: This has gone on long enough.

GUNSLINGER: You are right. (aims g*n at DOCTOR) You've got until noon tomorrow. Give him to me, or I'll k*ll you all.

The GUNSLINGER turns and teleports away. The DOCTOR sighs before turning to face the town.

AMY: Oh, my God, you're the marshall.

DOCTOR: Yeah. And you're the deputy.

EXT. TOWN, NIGHT

The streets are empty and the streetlamps spark.

INT. MARSHALL'S OFFICE, NIGHT

JEX is standing in the cell and the DOCTOR is sitting just outside, watching him. RORY and AMY are at the desk. There is a knock on the door.

DOCTOR: Come in!

The PREACHER enters and removes his hat.

PREACHER: (greets them) Marshall... Ma'am. Fella. You need to come outside.

DOCTOR: Why, what's wrong?

PREACHER: Just come outside. And you should put that on. (motions to holster hanging on a hook)

The DOCTOR stands as do AMY and RORY. The DOCTOR looks at the holstered g*n.

EXT. TOWN, NIGHT

The PREACHER exits onto the porch first, followed by the DOCTOR. A group of townsfolk are standing in the street including the YOUNG MAN and the BARTENDER. The DOCTOR hooks his thumbs over his belt.

DOCTOR: What's going on?

YOUNG MAN: (nervously) He in there? Leave the keys and take a walk. Time you get back, this'll all be done.

DOCTOR: I promised Isaac I'd protect him.

YOUNG MAN: Protecting him got Isaac dead. Tomorrow it's going to get us all dead.

MAN: We thought Isaac was right to fight. But it's different now. We've got to say, "All right, we lost," and give that thing what it wants.

The DOCTOR walks to the edge of the porch as the MAN talks.

BARTENDER: What it wants is to k*ll our friend.

YOUNG MAN: Look, we don't got ill feelin' toward the doc, we just thinkin''bout our families. Hand him over and we all safe again.

DOCTOR: You know I can't do that.

YOUNG MAN: Then we got us a problem. (pushes back coat to expose holster)

The DOCTOR lifts the corner of his jacket to show his g*n.

DOCTOR: Please don't do this.

YOUNG MAN: Why? Reckon you quicker than me?

DOCTOR: Almost certainly not. But this - lynch mobs, the town turning against itself - this is everything Isaac didn't want. (YOUNG MAN draws his g*n) How old are you?

YOUNG MAN: Nearly 19.

DOCTOR: That's 18 then. (slowly goes down steps) Too young to have fought in the w*r, so I'm guessing you've never sh*t anyone before, have you?

YOUNG MAN: (cocks hammer) First time for everything.

DOCTOR: But that's how all this started. Jex turned someone into a w*apon. Now that same story is going to make you a k*ller too. Don't you see? v*olence doesn't end v*olence, it extends it. I don't think you want to do this. I don't think you want to become that man.

YOUNG MAN: There's kids here.

DOCTOR: I know, who I can save, if you'll let me.

YOUNG MAN: He really worth the risk?

DOCTOR: I don't know. But you are.

The YOUNG MAN lowers his revolver and walks away, followed by most of the men. The rest of the population drifts off in different directions. The DOCTOR shudders before looking up at AMY and RORY.

DOCTOR: Frightened people. Give me a Dalek any day. (grins and walks past AMY and RORY)

INT. MARSHALL'S OFFICE, NIGHT

The DOCTOR enters and looks at JEX in his cell. He then puts his right leg up on the rail to untie the holster. The UNDERTAKER enters with a steaming cup.

UNDERTAKER:
Fresh coffee, Marshall. For what it's worth, I know you're going to save us. Isaac made you Marshall for a reason, and if you're good enough for him, you're good enough for me. Reckon you should know that.

DOCTOR: (toasts with the cup) Thank you. (sips coffee before setting down cup and leaning on railing)

The UNDERTAKER takes out his tape and holds it to the DOCTOR'S shoulder. The DOCTOR turns his head.

DOCTOR: Oi! Get out of it!

The UNDERTAKER leaves. The DOCTOR removes the Stetson and rubs his forehead.

JEX: Let me guess. The good folk of Mercy wanted me to take a little stroll into the desert. You could turn a blind eye. No-one would blame you. You'd be a hero.

DOCTOR: But I can't, can I?! (walks towards cell) Because then Isaac's death would mean nothing! Just another casualty in your endless, bloody w*r! (JEX lies down on the bunk) Do you want me to hand you over?! Is that what you want?! Do you even know?!(turns away in frustration)

JEX: You think I'm unaffected by what I did? That I don't hear them screaming every time I close my eyes? (props himself up on one arm) It would be so much simpler if I was just one thing, wouldn't it? The mad scientist who made that k*lling machine, or the physician who has dedicated his life to serving this town. The fact that I'm both bewilders you.

DOCTOR: (walks back) Oh, I know exactly what you are. And I see this reformation for what it really is. You committed an atrocity and chose this as your punishment. (paces) Don't get me wrong, good choice. Civilised hours, lots of adulation, nice weather. But, BUT, justice doesn't work like that. You don't get to decide when and how your debt is paid! (sighs and leans against the wall, back to the cell)

JEX: (sits up) In my culture, we believe that when you die your spirit has to climb a mountain, carrying the souls of everyone you wronged in your lifetime. Imagine the weight I will have to lift. (the DOCTOR turns around) The monsters I created, the people they k*lled. (the DOCTOR walks towards the cell) Isaac. He was my friend. (walks to the bars) Now his soul will be in my arms, too. Can you see now why I fear death? You want to hand me over. There's no shame in that. But you won't. We all carry our prisons with us. Mine is my past, yours is your morality. (lies down on the bunk)

DOCTOR: "We all carry our prisons with us." Ha...

EXT. TOWN, DAY

The DOCTOR stands alone in the center of town right in front of the bank. He cracks his neck as the clock moves closer to noon.

INT. CHURCH, DAY

The PREACHER kneels in front of the altar with a group of parishioners.

PREACHER: Help me. Help me to...

The parishioners pray quietly, including a little girl.

EXT. TOWN, DAY

The DOCTOR remains alone.

INT. SALOON, DAY

The bartender wipes down the bar as she watches the street outside.

AMY looks at the clock as JEX sits on the bunk in his cell. They hear the loud displacement of air that heralds the arrival of the GUNSLINGER. JEX stands and grips the bars of the cell door and AMY turns to the door.

EXT. TOWN, DAY

The GUNSLINGER arrives and steps over the boundary the moment the bell tolls noon. They take up the classic "showdown" positions and the DOCTOR'S hand twitches by his g*n. The bell finishes tolling the hour and the GUNSLINGER raises his arm with a grunt. The DOCTOR raises the sonic screwdriver high above his head. The GUNSLINGER groans in pain and windows are blown out. The GUNSLINGER sh**t wildly and the DOCTOR runs for cover. The GUNSLINGER looks around for his target.

AMY walks towards the cell, key in hand.

AMY: Ready?

AMY unlocks the cell and let JEX out.

EXT. TOWN, DAY

RORY and the YOUNG MAN are standing by one of the buildings. They each have a copy of JEX'S tattoo painted on their faces.

RORY: Ready?

The YOUNG MAN nods and runs off.

The GUNSLINGER strides through the town and sees a figure running through the shadows. He zooms in on the face and sees the tattoo. He raises his g*n.

In another section of town, JEX sneaks down the street.

The GUNSLINGER zooms in on a figure as it dodges behind a building.

JEX uses the distraction to make his way out of town.

The GUNSLINGER sees a figure on a balcony but the computer gives him an "Error: Invalid Visual Match" in regards to the tattoo.

GUNSLINGER: Disengage. It's a trick.

INT. CHURCH, DAY

The LITTLE GIRL gets up and watches as the GUNSLINGER walks past.

PREACHER: (prays) Save us, oh, Lord.

The LITTLE GIRL backs into a table and knocks over some books. The GUNSLINGER halts. The PREACHER goes over to the girl and hugs her protectively. The GUNSLINGER blasts down the doors and the parishioners scream.

INT. SALOON, DAY

The DOCTOR is in the saloon getting the tattoo painted on his face. He and the bartender turn at the sound of the expl*si*n.

EXT. TOWN, DAY

JEX stops and turns around.

INT. CHURCH, DAY

The GUNSLINGER scans the faces of everyone in the church.

EXT. TOWN, DAY

JEX hesitates and the DOCTOR runs out from the saloon.

DOCTOR: Go! Just GO! I can't save them while you're here.

The DOCTOR heads for the church as JEX runs into the desert.

INT. CHURCH, DAY

The GUNSLINGER waves his g*n, trying to get a read on the faces. With no one to match, he lowers his w*apon and leaves.

EXT. DESERT, DAY

JEX runs through the desert to his capsule. He pulls off the tarp.

INT. CAPSULE, DAY

JEX hurriedly presses the keys

COMPUTER: Nine, eight, seven - self-destruct overridden.

EXT. TOWN, DAY

GUNSLINGER: Deactivate a*t*matic targeting. Switch to manual.

He zooms in on the DOCTOR'S heat signature, He slowly walks over and aims his g*n at the DOCTOR just as he peers around the corner. The DOCOTR stands, hands raised.

GUNSLINGER: Where is he?

DOCTOR: He's gone.

GUNSLINGER: WHERE?! ANSWER ME!

The DOCTOR backs into the street.

DOCTOR: Away from here. Look up. Any second now you'll see the vapour trail of his ship. This is their home, not the backdrop for your revenge! Look up. Go after him, take this battle away from...

There is loud radio feedback as JEX'S voice comes over speakers.

JEX: Kahler-Tek. Kahler-Tek.

GUNSLINGER: Jex...? Coward! Where are you?!

JEX: I'm in my ship.

DOCTOR: Jex, what are you doing? Just GO!

CONTINUED, INTERCUT WITH –

- CUT TO:

INT. CAPSULE, DAY

JEX: Where are you from? Where on Kahler?

DOCTOR: Now? You're asking him this NOW?!

GUNSLINGER: Gabrean.

JEX: I know it. It's beautiful there. When this is over, will you go back?

GUNSLINGER: How can I? I am a monster now.

JEX: So am I.

DOCTOR: Just go! Finish this!

GUNSLINGER: I will find you. If I have to tear this universe apart, I will find you.

JEX: I don't doubt that. You'll chase me to another planet...And another race will be caught in the crossfire.

GUNSLINGER: THEN FACE ME!

JEX presses some more buttons.

COMPUTER: Countdown to self-destruct resumed.

GUNSLINGER: FACE ME!

JEX: No. You've k*lled enough. I'm ending the w*r for you, too.

COMPUTER: Countdown to self-destruct resumed.

DOCTOR: What's going on? That countdown! What's going ON! JEX!

JEX: Thank you, Doctor. But I have to face the souls of those I wronged. Perhaps they will be kind.

COMPUTER: Three, two, one. Zero.

In the capsule, JEX braces himself. The capsule explodes

EXT. TOWN, STREET, DAY

The DOCTOR and the GUNSLINGER turn their heads at the expl*si*n and see smoke rise above the buildings. The DOCTOR looks at the GUNSLINGER who sighs and hangs his head.

GUNSLINGER: He behaved with honour at the end. Maybe more than me.

DOCTOR: We could take you back to your world. You could help with the reconstruction.

The GUNSLINGER starts to walk away. The DOCTOR follows.

GUNSLINGER: I will walk into the desert and self-destruct. I am a creature of w*r. I have no role to play during peace.

AMY and RORY join the DOCTOR and the townsfolk come out onto the street.

DOCTOR: Except maybe to protect it?

The GUNSLINGER stops.

LATER

The DOCTOR bursts from the saloon followed by AMY and RORY. The TARDIS is now in the middle of the street.

DOCTOR: OK, so, our next trip. You know all the monkeys and dogs they sent into space in the '50s and '60s? You'll never guess what really happened to them!

AMY: Erm... could we leave it a while? Our friends will start noticing that we're ageing faster than them.

DOCTOR: Another time! No worries! (claps hands)

AMY and RORY wave goodbye and step inside the TARDIS. The YOUNG MAN smiles at the DOCTOR and they share a small laugh. They then "draw" on each other and the DOCTOR sh**t the YOUNG MAN. The YOUNG MAN taps the brim of his hat and the DOCTOR salutes him. He then enters the TARDIS and it dematerializes.

WOMAN: (V.O.) 'By the time the Gunslinger arrived, the people of Mercy were used to the strange and the impossible. Where he came from didn't matter. As a man once said, "America is a land of second chances". (the LITTLE GIRL crosses the boundary) Do I believe the story? I don't know. My great-grandmother must have been a little girl when he arrived. (the GUNSLINGER stands watch on the ridge) But next time you're in Mercy, ask someone why they don't have a Marshall or a Sheriff or policeman there. "We got our own arrangement", they'll say. Then they'll smile, like they got a secret. Like they got their own special angel watchin' out for them. Their very own angel who fell from the stars.'

The GUNSLINGER is wearing the Marshall's badge.