2013-11-23 - Day of the Doctor

Doctor Who Special Episode transcripts. This collection spans from November 25, 1983 to present.*

Moderator: Kitty Midnight

The further adventures of the renegade Time Lord, Doctor Who and his companions, from cross-overs to Christmas Specials. 2016-12-25 - "The Return of Doctor Mysterio"

Watch/Buy Amazon  Merchandise  Collectibles

Classic Who   NuWho  

2013-11-23 - Day of the Doctor

Post by bunniefuu »

EXT. STREET, DAY

A policeman walks along the pavement, casting a shadow against the brick wall. A sign points the way to I. M. Foreman’s Scrap Yard on Totter’s Lane. Right around the corner is Coal Hill Secondary School where CLARA is now teaching.

CLARA: (V.O.) "Waste no more time arguing about what a good man should be. Be one." Marcus Aurelius.

INT. CLASSROOM, DAY

The bell rings and the students start leaving. CLARA erases the board. A young MAN runs into the room.

CLARA: (V.O.) Have you been running?

MAN: Are you OK? There was a call for you, at the office. From your doctor.

CLARA: (smiles) Did he leave an address?

CLARA takes the slip of paper from the MAN before grabbing her motorcycle helmet and jacket.

EXT. STREET, DAY

CLARA pulls out of the school at 5:15 and heads out of the city through a tunnel.

EXT. COUNTRY STREET, DAY

CLARA stops at the crest of a hill and looks down to where the TARDIS is on the side of the road. She smiles and continues on. She honks the horn as she gets closer and the doors open.

INT. TARDIS

CLARA stops the motorcycle. The DOCTOR looks up from his book “Advanced Quantum Mechanics” at her arrival but doesn’t look over. He licks his finger and turns a page. CLARA removes her helmet.

DOCTOR: Draught!

CLARA snaps her fingers and the doors close. The DOCTOR closes his book.

DOCTOR: Fancy a week in Ancient Mesopotamia (turns around) followed by future Mars?

CLARA: Will there be cocktails?

DOCTOR: (stands and takes off glasses) On the moon.

CLARA: The moon'll do!

DOCTOR: Ha-ha!

They meet halfway and hug, the DOCTOR lifting and spinning CLARA around.

DOCTOR: How's the new job? Teach anything good?

CLARA: No. Learn anything?

DOCTOR: Not a thing.

They raise their hands and slap in a double high-five. At that moment, there is a clunking sound and they both look up to the ceiling.

CLARA: What's happening?

DOCTOR: Whoa, whoa. We're taking off. But the engines aren't going!

EXT. SKY, DAY

The TARDIS is being air-lifted by a helicopter.

PILOT: (V.O.) 'Windmill 11 to Greyhound Leader. Blue Eagle is airborne. Ready to receive. We're on our way.'

INT. TARDIS

The DOCTOR and CLARA hold on to the console as the TARDIS sways. The DOCTOR heads for the door.

EXT. TOWER of LONDON, COURTYARD, DAY

We hear the sound of the TARDIS and learn it is a ringtone as a young woman, OSGOOD, answers the phone. She is wearing a white lab coat and a long multi-colored scarf.

OSGOOD: Hello, Kate Stewart's phone? Oh, hold on. (runs to one of the benches overlooking the green and bumps into a Beefeater) Excuse me...sorry! Ma'am! Ma'am!

KATE STEWART is sitting on the bench.

KATE: The ravens are looking a bit sluggish. Tell Malcolm they need new batteries.

OSGOOD: It's him! (holds out KATE’S phone) Sorry, it's your personal phone, but, well, I recognised the ringtone. It's him, isn't it?

KATE: (to OSGOOD) Inhaler. (into phone) Doctor, hello. We found the TARDIS in a field. I'm having it brought in.

CONTINUED, INTERCUT WITH –

- CUT TO:

EXT. SKY, DAY

The DOCTOR is at the open TARDIS door using the outside telephone.

DOCTOR:
No kidding!

KATE: Where are you?

The DOCTOR holds the phone up towards the helicopter so KATE can hear the blades.

KATE: (stands) Oh, my God! Oh, Doctor, I'm so sorry, we had no idea you were still in there.

The helicopter flies along the path of the Thames. OSGOOD looks up and can just see it clearing the Tower Bridge.

KATE: Come on.

KATE and OSGOOD leave the courtyard.

EXT. SKY, DAY

PILOT: (V.O.) 'Roger. New heading - 207. Changing course.'

With the change of course, the DOCTOR looses his balances and tumbles from the door.

DOCTOR: Argh...!

INT. TARDIS

CLARA runs for the open door.

CLARA: Doctor?!

EXT. SKY, DAY

The DOCTOR is hanging upside-down from the door.

DOCTOR: Clara!

EXT. TOWER of LONDON, DAY

KATE and OSGOOD head down the steps towards the main exit.

KATE: Doctor, can you hear me?

EXT. SKY, DAY

The phone swings and hits the DOCTOR in the head.

DOCTOR: Ow!

KATE: (over phone) 'I don't think he can hear me.'

The DOCTOR grabs the phone.

DOCTOR: Next time, would it k*ll you to knock?

EXT. TOWER of LONDON, DAY

KATE: I'm having you taken directly to the scene.

EXT. SKY, DAY

The helicopter continues to follow the Thames. CLARA is now holding the DOCTOR’S ankles.

KATE: (over phone) Doctor, hello, are you OK?

DOCTOR: Whoa...! I'm just going to pop you on hold. (swings upwards)

KATE: (over phone) 'Doctor?'

CLARA: (loses grip on the DOCTOR) Ah! Doctor!

The DOCTOR is hanging on to the underside of the TARDIS as it approaches Trafalgar Square. CLARA stands and leans against the open doorway and she watches the city below.

EXT. TRAFALGAR SQUARE, DAY

KATE and OSGOOD are there with UNIT soldiers in a cordoned off area as the TARDIS is lowered. The DOCTOR lets go and drops the last few feet.

OFFICER: Attention!

The DOCTOR salutes.

DOCTOR: Why am I saluting? (lowers hand and walks over to KATE)

KATE: Doctor, as Chief Scientific Officer, may I extend the official apologies of UNIT?

CLARA steps out of the TARDIS as it lands and walks over.

DOCTOR: Kate Lethbridge-Stewart, a word to the wise. As I'm sure your father would've told you, I don't like being picked up.

CLARA: That probably sounded better in his head.

KATE: I'm acting on instructions direct from the throne.

OSGOOD reaches into her pocket and pulls out a letter sealed with red wax. KATE takes the letter and holds it out to the DOCTOR.

KATE: Sealed orders from Her Majesty, Queen Elizabeth the First.

[Flash of wax being melted by a candle, poured on the letter and sealed with the Queen’s seal.]

CLARA: The Queen? The First? Sorry, Elizabeth the First?

KATE: Her credentials are inside.

The DOCTOR starts to open the letter.

KATE: No. Inside... (points to the National Gallery)

DOCTOR: (points at OSGOOD) Nice scarf. (walks through the soldiers to the museum)

KATE: (to OSGOOD) What's our cover story for this?

OSGOOD: Um, Derren Brown.

KATE: Again?

OSGOOD: Oh, we've sent him flowers.

As CLARA and the DOCTOR make their way up the stairs, a UNIT officer orders his men.

OFFICER: Attention! Right, I want a secure perimeter around the gallery.

INT. NATIONAL GALLERY, DAY

The DOCTOR and CLARA walk through smaller galleries to a double door guarded by two soldiers. KATE and OSGOOD follow.

CLARA: Did you know her? Elizabeth the First?

DOCTOR: Unified Intelligence Task Force.

CLARA: Sorry?

DOCTOR: This lot. UNIT. They investigate alien stuff, anything alien.

CLARA: What, like you?

DOCTOR: I work for them.

INT. NATIONAL GALLERY, MAIN GALLERY, DAY

The DOCTOR and CLARA pass through the door into another, larger gallery.

CLARA: You have a job?!

DOCTOR: Why shouldn't I have a job? I'd be brilliant at having a job.

CLARA: You don't have a job!

DOCTOR: I do. This is my job, I'm doing it now.

CLARA: You never have a job.

DOCTOR: I do! I do.

They stop in front of a large covered frame. Two soldiers pull off the tarp to reveal a painting of a futuristic city in flames – in 3D.

KATE: Elizabeth's credentials, Doctor.

CLARA: But... but that's not possible.

????

DOCTOR: No more.

KATE: That's the title.

DOCTOR: I know the title!

KATE: Also known as Gallifrey Falls.

DOCTOR: This painting doesn't belong here - not in this time or place.

CLARA: Obviously.

DOCTOR: It's the fall of Arcadia, Gallifrey's second city.

CLARA: But how is it doing that? How is that possible? (walks to the painting and puts a hand out to touch it) It's an oil painting... in 3D.

DOCTOR: Time Lord art. Bigger on the inside. A slice of real time... frozen.

KATE: Elizabeth told us where to find it...and its significance.

The DOCTOR takes CLARA’S hand and entwines their fingers.

CLARA: You OK?

DOCTOR: He was there.

CLARA: Who was?

DOCTOR: Me. The other me. The one I don't talk about.

CLARA: I don't understand.

DOCTOR: I've had many faces, many lives. I don't admit to all of them. There's one life I've tried very hard to forget.

????

DOCTOR: He was the Doctor who fought in the Time w*r, and that was the day he did it - the day I did it. The day he k*lled them all. The last day of the Time w*r. The w*r to end all wars between my people and the Daleks.

EXT. STREET, ARCADIA

We zoom into the painting, into Arcadia.

DOCTOR: (V.O.) And in that battle, there was a man with more blood on his hands than any other. A man who would commit a crime that would silence the universe, and that man...was me.

The Daleks fly down from their spaceships and fire on everyone in the streets, soldiers and civilians. Amid explosions, the soldiers guard civilians as they run to escape. A DALEK chases down a soldier.

DALEK: Exterminate!

SOLDIER: Argh!

INT. BUILDING, ARCADIA

The SOLDIER ducks into an abandoned building and speaks into his radio.

SOLDIER: Message for the High Council, Priority Omega. Arcadia has fallen. I repeat, Arcadia has fallen.

The SOLDIER shuts off the radio and looks around the building. He sees the TARDIS resting against the opposite wall. A figure approaches from the shadows. It is the w*r DOCTOR.

w*r DOCTOR: Soldier... I'm going to need your g*n.

The w*r DOCTOR proceeds to fire at a wall with the laser r*fle.

EXT. STREET, ARCADIA

Families run through the streets crying out as they run from the Daleks. They are soon surrounded.

DALEK: Exterminate! Exterminate! Exterminate!

FATHER: Please! Please, just don't!

The children cling to their parents.

INT. BUILDING, ARCADIA

The w*r DOCTOR continues to cut his message into the wall.

EXT. STREET, ARCADIA

DALEK: Alert! Alert! The Doctor is detected!

DALEK 2: The Doctor is surrounded!

DALEK: Inform High Command, we have the Doctor! Seek, locate, destroy!

The family makes its escape while the Daleks are distracted.

DALEK 2: The Doctor is surrounded...

INT. BUILDING, ARCADIA

The w*r DOCTOR’S message is complete: No More.

EXT. STREET, ARCADIA

DALEK: Seek, locate, destroy! Seek...

There is a metallic thrumming and the TARDIS bursts through the wall, exploding Daleks in its path. One intact Dalek is lying on its side.

DALEK: The...Doctor...is...escaping. (sees the message) What... are... these... words? Explain! Explain!

The DALEK is sh*t by the SOLDIER and explodes.

INT. CORRIDOR, ARCADIA

Two Time Lords – ANDROGAR and a GENERAL – stride the hall.

ANDROGAR: The High Council is in emergency session - they have plans of their own.

GENERAL: To hell with the High Council - their plans have already failed.

INT. MAP ROOM, ARCADIA

A number of Time Lords are monitoring the action around the planet.

GENERAL: Gallifrey's still in the line of fire. So he was there, then?

ANDROGAR pulls up a projection of the wall and the w*r DOCTOR’S message.

ANDROGAR: He left a message, a written warning for the Daleks. He's a fool.

GENERAL: No. He's a madman.

ANDROGAR: As you can see, sir, all Dalek fleets surrounding the planet, now converging on the capital, but the Sky Trenches are holding.

There is a crash and rumbling as there is a strike nearby.

GENERAL: Where did he go next?

ANDROGAR: What does it matter? This is their biggest ever att*ck, sir - they're throwing everything at us...

A TIME LADY hurries to the table.

TIME LADY: Sir, we have a security breach to the Time Vaults.

They hurry to another screen and the GENERAL taps the screen and a hologram is projected above it.

GENERAL: The Omega Arsenal, where all the forbidden weapons are locked away.

There is a red dot moving through the arsenal.

ANDROGAR: They're not forbidden any more - we've used them all against the Daleks.

GENERAL: No. No, we haven't.

INT. OMEGA ARSENAL, ARCADIA

They stride to an empty pedestal and the GENERAL reaches out a hand.

GENERAL: The Moment is gone.

ANDROGAR: I don't understand. What is the Moment? I've never heard of it.

GENERAL: The galaxy eater. The final work of the ancients of Gallifrey, a w*apon so powerful, the operating system became sentient. According to legend... it developed a conscience.

ANDROGAR: And we've never used it?

GENERAL: How do you use a w*apon of ultimate mass destruction when it can stand in judgment on you?

EXT. DESERT, DAY

The TARDIS stands in the middle of the desert with footsteps leading away.

GENERAL: (V.O.) There is only one man who would even try.

The w*r DOCTOR trudges across the desert, a sack over his shoulder.

w*r DOCTOR: (V.O.) Time Lords of Gallifrey, Daleks of Skaro... I serve notice on you all. Too long I have stayed my hand. No more. Today, you leave me no choice. Today, this w*r will end. No more. No more.

The w*r DOCTOR pauses when he sees a barn or shed in the distance. He changes his grip on the bag and continues on.

INT. BARN, DAY

The w*r DOCTOR opens the door and finds the planks enough apart to let light through. There are leaves and debris strewn on the floor along with scattered pieces of junk. He sets down the bag, unties it and opens it to reveal an ornate box with machinery exposed. He pushes on one of the gears, hoping to start it.

w*r DOCTOR: How... how do you work? Why is there never a big red button?

He hears a scuffling outside and goes to the door to peer out.

w*r DOCTOR: Hello? Is somebody there?

WOMAN: It's nothing.

The w*r DOCTOR turns around and sees a blonde woman sitting on the box. She looks like ROSE TYLER.

ROSE: It's just a wolf.

w*r DOCTOR: Don't sit on that!

ROSE: Why not?

w*r DOCTOR: Because it's not a chair - it's the most dangerous w*apon in the universe. (pulls her off the box and pushes her outside, closing the door)

ROSE: (sitting on the box) Why can't it be both? Why did you park so far away? Didn't you want her to see it?

w*r DOCTOR: Want who to see?

ROSE: The TARDIS. (jumps up and walks around) You walked for miles. And miles and miles and miles and miles.

w*r DOCTOR: I was thinking!

ROSE: I heard you.

w*r DOCTOR: You heard me?

ROSE: "No...more. No more. No more. No more."

????

w*r DOCTOR: No more.

INT. BARN, DAY

ROSE: "No more!"

w*r DOCTOR: Stop it!

ROSE: "No more! No more."

w*r DOCTOR: Who are you?

The Moment starts clicking.

w*r DOCTOR: It's activating. Get out of here! (goes to the machine and touches it) Ow! (pulls his hands back)

ROSE: What's wrong?

w*r DOCTOR: The interface is hot.

ROSE: (sits on a high crate) Well, I do my best.

w*r DOCTOR: There's a power source inside... (realizes what she said and looks at her) You're the Interface?

INTERFACE: They must have told you the Moment had a conscience. Hello! (waves) Oh, look at you. Stuck between a girl and a box. Story of your life, eh, Doctor?

w*r DOCTOR: You know me?

INTERFACE: (stands) I hear you. All of you, jangling around in that dusty old head of yours. I chose this face and form especially for you. It's from your past. Or possibly your future - I always get those two mixed up.

w*r DOCTOR: I don't have a future.

INTERFACE: I think I'm called... Rose Tyler. No, yes, no, sorry. No, no, in this form, I'm called... Bad Wolf. (eyes glow golden) Are you afraid of the big bad wolf, Doctor?

w*r DOCTOR: Stop calling me Doctor.

INTERFACE: That's the name in your head.

w*r DOCTOR: It shouldn't be. I've been fighting this w*r for a very long time - I've lost the right to be the Doctor.

INTERFACE: Then you're the one to save us all.

w*r DOCTOR: Yes.

INTERFACE: If I ever develop an ego, you've got the job.

w*r DOCTOR: (stands and walks over to her) If you have been inside my head... then you know what I've seen. The suffering. Every moment in time and space is burning. It must end. And I intend to end it the only way I can. (turns away)

INTERFACE: And you're going to use me to end it by k*lling them all, Daleks and Time Lords alike. I could, but there will be consequences for you.

w*r DOCTOR: I have no desire to survive this.

The INTERFACE is now sitting on a low box and the w*r DOCTOR sits down next to her.

INTERFACE: Then that's your punishment. If you do this - if you k*ll them all - then that's the consequence. You...live. Gallifrey... you're going to burn it... and all those Daleks with it but all those children too. How many children on Gallifrey right now?

EXT. GALLIFREY, DAY

Children play in the sun and laugh.

INT. BARN, DAY

w*r DOCTOR: I don't know.

INTERFACE: One day you will count them. One terrible night. Do you want to see what that will turn you into? (nudges him) Come on! Aren't you curious?

A whirling vortex opens in the air above them.

INTERFACE: I'm opening windows on your future. A tangle in time through the days to come, to the man today will make of you.

A red fez falls to the ground in front of them.

INTERFACE: OK, I wasn't expecting that.

DOCTOR: But the Time w*r's over. Why have you brought us here to look at a painting?

KATE: The painting only serves as Elizabeth's credentials, proof that the letter is from her. It's not why you're here.

The DOCTOR breaks the seal and reads the letter. We see ELIZABETH writing it at her desk.

ELIZABETH: (V.O.) 'My dearest love, I hope the painting known as Gallifrey Falls will serve as proof that it is your Elizabeth who writes to you now. You will recall that you pledged yourself to the safety of my kingdom. In this capacity, I have appointed you as curator of the Under Gallery where deadly danger to England is locked away. Should any disturbance occur within its walls, it is my wish that you be summoned. God speed, gentle husband.'

DOCTOR: What happened?

KATE: Easier to show you.

KATE leads the DOCTOR and CLARA from the gallery. A lab-coated scientist makes to follow but stops when his phone rings. OSGOOD follows.

McGILLOP: McGillop. (looks at phone) But that's not possible. I was just... Understood, sir. But...why would I take it there?

INT. NATIONAL GALLERY, SMALL GALLERY, DAY

CLARA and the DOCTOR follow KATE. A metal door slides down behind them. On the wall opposite is a full portrait of ELIZABETH.

CLARA: Elizabeth the First? You knew her, then?

We see standing next to ELIZABETH, the TENTH DOCTOR in full court dress of the period.

DOCTOR: A long time ago.

EXT. MEADOW, DAY, ENGLAND 1562

The TARDIS is “parked” on a meadow overlooking a river. The TENTH DOCTOR rides out on a horse, ELIZABETH riding behind him, arms wrapped around him.

TENTH DOCTOR: Allons-y!

ELIZABETH laughs and the horse whinnies.

TENTH DOCTOR: There you go, Your Majesty, what did I tell you? Bigger on the inside!

ELIZABETH: The door isn't - you nearly took my head off. It's normally me who does that. (giggles)

>> LATER >>

ELIZABETH and the TENTH DOCTOR are lying on a blanket having a picnic. ELIZABETH has her head on the TENTH DOCTOR’S lap. The horse grazes behind them.

ELIZABETH: Tell me, Doctor, why I'm wasting my time on you. I have wars to plan.

TENTH DOCTOR: You have a picnic to eat. (sips wine)

ELIZABETH: You could help me.

TENTH DOCTOR: Well... I'm helping you eat the picnic. (pops a grape in her mouth)

ELIZABETH: But you have a stomach for w*r. This face has seen conflict - it's clear as day. (caresses his face)

TENTH DOCTOR: Oh, I've seen conflict like you wouldn't believe. But it wasn't this face. But never mind that, Your Majesty - up on your feet! (stands and holds his hands for her) Up, up!

ELIZABETH: How dare you?! I'm the Queen of England!

TENTH DOCTOR: (helps her stand) I'm not English. (kneels) Elizabeth, will you marry me?

ELIZABETH: Oh, my dear, sweet love. Of course I will! (leans in to hug him)

TENTH DOCTOR: (stands) Ah! Gotcha!

ELIZABETH: My love?

TENTH DOCTOR: One! The real Elizabeth would never have accepted my marriage proposal. Two! The real Elizabeth would notice when I just casually mention having a different face. But then the real Elizabeth isn't an shape-shifting alien from outer space! And... (holds out a handmade device that goes ding) ding.

ELIZABETH: What's that?

TENTH DOCTOR: It's a machine that goes...ding! (machine dings again) Made it myself. It lights up in the presence of shape-shifter DNA. Ooh. Also it can microwave frozen dinners from up to 20 feet and download comics from the future. I never know when to stop.

ELIZABETH: My love, I do not understand.

TENTH DOCTOR: I'm not your love. And yes, you do! You're a Zygon.

ELIZABETH: A Zygon?

TENTH DOCTOR: Oh, stop it, it's over! A Zygon, yes. A big red rubbery thing, covered in suckers. Surprisingly good kisser. Think the real Queen of England would just decide to share the throne with any old handsome bloke in a tight suit...

The horse whinnies.

TENTH DOCTOR: …just cos he's got amazing hair and a nice horse? (turns to see the horse is gone and an alien is standing there) Oh. It was the horse! I'm going to be King! (takes ELIZABETH by the hand) Run!

ELIZABETH and the TENTH DOCTOR run to a stone ruin.

ELIZABETH: What's happening?

TENTH DOCTOR: We're being att*cked by a shape-shifting alien from outer space, formerly disguised as my horse.

ELIZABETH: What does that mean?

TENTH DOCTOR: It means...we're going to need a new horse.

INT. RUIN, DAY, ENGLAND 1562

They press against either side of the entry as the Zygon goes past.

ELIZABETH: Where's it going?

TENTH DOCTOR: (goes over to her) I'll hold it off, you run. Your people need you.

ELIZABETH: And I need you alive for our wedding day. (kisses him passionately before running away)

TENTH DOCTOR: Oh, good work, Doctor, nice one! The Virgin Queen? So much for history! (runs in the opposite direction)

EXT. WOODS, DAY, ENGLAND 1562

ELIZABETH runs through the woods, looking about her at any strange sound. The TENTH DOCTOR runs away from the ruins, smacking his machine.

TENTH DOCTOR: Come on! Know you're there!

ELIZABETH pants as she hurries through the woods. We hear the gurgling sound of the Zygon and see a foot as it follows her. ELIZABETH turns around and screams as it comes towards her. The TENTH DOCTOR runs through the wood but stops when he sees a rabbit snuffling for food on the top of an overgrown stump.

TENTH DOCTOR: Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa... Oh, very clever. Whatever you've got planned, forget it. I'm the Doctor. I'm 904 years old. I'm from the planet Gallifrey in the constellation of Kasterborous. I am the oncoming storm, the bringer of darkness, (squats down beside the stump) and you are basically just a rabbit, aren't you? OK, carry on - just a...general... warning. (smacks the device)

ELIZABETH: (off-screen)
Doctor!

The TENTH DOCTOR runs towards the call and finds ELIZABETH lying on the ground.

TENTH DOCTOR: Elizabeth!

ELIZABETH: That thing...explain what it is! (the DOCTOR helps her stand) What does it want of us?

TENTH DOCTOR: That's what I'm trying to find out. Probably just your planet.

ELIZABETH 2: Doctor?

The TENTH DOCTOR turns to see another ELIZABETH, identical to the first.

ELIZABETH 2: Step away from her, Doctor. That's not me, that's the creature.

ELIZABETH: How is that possible? She's me. Doctor, she's me!

The TENTH DOCTOR takes out his machine once again and aims it at them.

ELIZABETH 2: I am, indeed, me. A compliment that cannot be extended to yourself.

The two queens circle each other.

ELIZABETH: Extraordinary! The creature has captured my exact likeness - this is exceptional.

ELIZABETH 2: Exceptional? A Queen would call it impertinent.

ELIZABETH: A Queen would feel compelled to admire the skill of the execution - before arranging one.

TENTH DOCTOR: (shakes device) Ah! It's not working!

ELIZABETH: One might surmise the creature would learn quickly to protect itself from any simple means of detection.

The machine goes ding.

ELIZABETH 2: Clearly you understand the creature better than I. But then you have the advantage.

A fissure opens in the air above them.

TENTH DOCTOR: Back, both of you, now! That's a time fissure, a tear in the fabric of reality. Anything could happen!

A fez lands at his feet.

TENTH DOCTOR: For instance... a fez.

The DOCTOR continues to stare at the painting.

KATE: This way.

The painting swings open on hinges to reveal a dark passageway.

INT. NATIONAL GALLERY, UNDER GALLERY, PASSAGE, DAY

KATE enters the passage and lights flicker on to reveal shrouded statues set in alcoves along the walls. There is something like sand covering the floor.

KATE: Welcome to the Under Gallery. This is where Elizabeth I kept all art deemed too dangerous for public consumption.

CLARA follows KATE and the DOCTOR enters last, walking slowly on the dust. He bends over and scoops it up, letting it run through his fingers.

DOCTOR: Stone dust.

KATE: Is it important?

DOCTOR: In 1,200 years, I've never stepped in anything that wasn't. (stands and sees OSGOOD hesitating outside) Oi, you! Are you sciencey?

OSGOOD: Oh, erm. Well, erm...yes. (enters the passage)

DOCTOR: Got a name?

OSGOOD: Yes.

DOCTOR: Good, I've always wanted to meet someone called Yes. Now, I want this stone dust analysed. (pours some into her hand) And I want a report in triplicate, with lots of graphs and diagrams and complicated sums, on my desk, (glances at CLARA) tomorrow morning, ASAP, pronto, LOL. See? Job. (snaps and points at KATE) Do I have a desk?

KATE: No.

DOCTOR: (to OSGOOD) And I want a desk!

OSGOOD looks to KATE.

KATE: Get a team, analyse the stone dust.

KATE and CLARA start to walk away and the DOCTOR follows. OSGOOD wheezes.

KATE: Inhaler!

OSGOOD uses the inhaler.

INT. NATIONAL GALLERY, UNDER GALLERY, HALL, DAY

KATE leads them through a hall that is lined with paintings – one of which is the “Raft of the Medusa” by Gericault - and display cases. In one of those cases is a fez. The DOCTOR walks past and then turns around, mouthing “Ooh”. As KATE continues on, he lifts the display case lid and places the fez on his head. He holds his hands out in the “ta-da” position.

CLARA: Someday, you could just walk past a fez.

DOCTOR: Never going to happen.

They continue on after KATE.

INT. NATIONAL GALLERY, UNDER GALLERY, MAIN, DAY

The room is brightly lit with wood floors. There is shattered glass on the floor. On the wall are more 3D paintings. A scientist takes KATE’S coat.

SCIENTIST: As you instructed, nothing has been touched. (leaves)

KATE: This is why we called you in.

CLARA: 3D again.

DOCTOR: Interesting.

CLARA: The broken glass?

DOCTOR: No... where it's broken from. (picks up a piece) Look at the shatter pattern. The glass on all these paintings has been broken from the inside. (throws the piece over his shoulder)

KATE: As you can see, all the paintings are landscapes - no figures of any kind.

DOCTOR: So?

KATE: There used to be.

KATE hands the DOCTOR a tablet bearing the painting with a figure on the path. He lowers the tablet to see that exact painting in front of him without the figure. He looks at the tablet again and then at CLARA.

CLARA: Something's got out of the paintings?

DOCTOR: Lots of somethings. Dangerous.

KATE: This whole place has been searched. There's nothing here that shouldn't be, and nothing's got out.

The fissure appears above them.

DOCTOR: Oh, no! Not now!

CLARA: Doctor, what is it?

DOCTOR: No, not now - I'm busy!

KATE: Is it to do with the paintings?

DOCTOR: No, no. This is different. I remember this. Almost remember... (looks up at the fez and takes it off) Oh, of course! This is where I come in. (smiles at CLARA and KATE before throwing the fez into the fissure) Geronimo-o... (runs at the fissure)

CLARA: (steps forward) Doctor!

KATE: (grips CLARA’S arm) Wait.

The DOCTOR jumps through the fissure.

The DOCTOR lands on the ground, face-down as the TENTH DOCTOR and both ELIZABETHS watch. He groans before standing. The TENTH stands and puts on the fez as he stares at the newcomer.

ELIZABETH: Who is this man?

TENTH DOCTOR: That's just what I was wondering.

DOCTOR: Oh, that is skinny. That is proper skinny. I've never seen it from the outside. It's like a special effect. (walks over) Oi! (swipes the fez) Ha! Matchstick Man!

The two stare at each other.

TENTH DOCTOR: You're not...

They both reach into their jacket pockets and TENTH reveals his sonic first. The DOCTOR reveals his and activates it with a flourish.

TENTH DOCTOR: Compensating?

DOCTOR: For what?

TENTH DOCTOR: Regeneration - it's a lottery.

They each close their sonics, flip them and put them away in a mirror image.

DOCTOR: Oh, he's cool. Isn't he cool? "I'm the Doctor and I'm all cool - oops, I'm wearing sandshoes!"

TENTH DOCTOR: What are you doing here? I'm busy.

DOCTOR: Oh, busy? I see, is that what we're calling it, eh? (picks up fez and puts it on) Eh? Hello, ladies. (bows to the ELIZABETHS)

TENTH DOCTOR: Don't start.

DOCTOR: Listen, what you get up to in the privacy of your own regeneration is your business.

TENTH DOCTOR: One of them is a Zygon.

DOCTOR: Urgh... I'm not judging you.

There is a whooshing as the fissure opens above them. They each put on their glasses and look up. They then look at each other and “ooh” the other’s eyewear.

BOTH: Oh, lovely!

DOCTOR: (takes off glasses and walks back to the ELIZABETHS) Your Majesties...probably a good time to run.

ELIZABETHS: But what about the creature?

TENTH DOCTOR: Elizabeth, whichever one of you is the real one, turn and run in the opposite direction to the other one.

ELIZABETHS: Of course, my love!

ELIZABETH: Stay alive, my love. I am not done with you yet. (kisses him passionately and runs off)

TENTH DOCTOR: Thanks. Lovely.

The DOCTOR stares at him, stunned.

ELIZABETH 2: I understand. Live for me, my darling. We shall be together again. (kisses him and runs in the opposite direction from the first)

TENTH DOCTOR: Well, won't that be nice?

DOCTOR: One of those was a Zygon.

TENTH DOCTOR: Yeah.

DOCTOR: Big red rubbery thing. Covered in suckers.

TENTH DOCTOR: Yeah.

DOCTOR: Venom sacs in the tongue.

TENTH DOCTOR: Yeah, I'm getting the point, thanks.

DOCTOR: Nice.

CLARA: (through fissure)
Doctor? Is that you?

DOCTOR: Ah! Hello, Clara! Can you hear me?

- CUT TO:

CLARA and KATE look up at the fissure.

CLARA: Yeah, it's me, we can hear you. Where are you?

DOCTOR: (to TENTH) Where are we?

TENTH DOCTOR: England 1562.

CLARA: Who are you talking to?

BOTH: Myself.

KATE: Can you come back through?

DOCTOR: Physical passage may not be possible in both directions. It's... Ah! Hang on! Fez incoming! (throws fez into the fissure)

CLARA and KATE wait for it to appear.

CLARA: Nothing here.

TENTH DOCTOR: So where did it go?

INT. BARN, DAY

The w*r DOCTOR picks up the fez and dusts it off.

CLARA: (through fissure)
Who's he talking to?

KATE: (through fissure)
He said - himself.

KATE takes out her phone and heads for the exit.

KATE: Keep him talking. Malcolm?

INT. NATIONAL GALLERY, UNDER GALLERY, HALL, DAY

KATE continues through the hall on her way out.

KATE: Malcolm, I need you to send me one of my father's incident files - codenamed Cromer. '70s or '80s, depending on the dating protocol.

The shadow of a Zygon appears on the wall as KATE continues on.

TENTH DOCTOR: OK, you used to be me, you've done all this before - what happens next?

DOCTOR: I don't remember.

TENTH DOCTOR: How can you forget this?!

DOCTOR: Hey, hang on, it's not MY fault. You're obviously not paying enough attention. Reverse the polarity!

They each take out their sonic screwdriver and use it on the fissure.

DOCTOR: It's not working.

TENTH DOCTOR: We're both reversing the polarity!

DOCTOR: Yes, I know that.

TENTH DOCTOR: There's two of us - I'm reversing it, and you're reversing it back again! We're confusing the polarity.

There is a whoosh of air as the w*r DOCTOR comes through, landing on his feet.

w*r DOCTOR: Anyone lose a fez?

TENTH DOCTOR: You. How can you be here? More to the point, WHY are you here?

w*r DOCTOR: Good afternoon. I'm...looking for the Doctor.

TENTH DOCTOR: Well...you've certainly come to the right place.

w*r DOCTOR: Good! Right! Well, who are you boys? Oh, of course! Are you his companions?

DOCTOR: His companions?

w*r DOCTOR: They get younger all the time! Well, if you could point me in the general direction of the Doctor...

Each Doctor holds up his sonic screwdriver and activates it.

w*r DOCTOR: Really?

DOCTOR: Yeah.

TENTH DOCTOR: Really.

w*r DOCTOR: You're me? Both of you?

TENTH DOCTOR: Yep.

w*r DOCTOR: Even that one?

DOCTOR: (indignant) Yes!

w*r DOCTOR: You're my future selves.

BOTH: Yes!

w*r DOCTOR: Am I having a mid-life crisis?

The w*r DOCTOR takes a step forward and the others back up a step and aim their screwdrivers at him.

w*r DOCTOR: Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols. Look like you've seen a ghost!

They lower the sonics.

TENTH DOCTOR: Still...loving the posh, gravelly thing. It's very convincing.

DOCTOR: Brave words, d*ck Van d*ke.

A patrol of soldiers approaches through the woods led by Lord BENTHAM.

BENTHAM: Encircle them!

The soldiers circle the Doctors, aiming their pikes at them. The Doctors stand back-to-back, their sonics back out and aimed at the soldiers.

BENTHAM: Which of you is the Doctor? The Queen of England is bewitched. I would have the Doctor's head.

w*r DOCTOR: Well, this has all the makings of your lucky day.

CLARA is listening to the Doctors through the fissure when KATE returns.

CLARA: I think there's three of them now.

- CUT TO:

KATE: (through fissure)
There's a precedent for that.

BENTHAM: What is that?

w*r DOCTOR: Oh, the pointing again. They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do, assemble a cabinet at them?

The Doctors look at each other and lower the screwdrivers.

BENTHAM: That thing...what witchcraft is it?

DOCTOR: Ah, yes! Now that you mention it, that is witchcraft, yes, yes, yes. Witchy-witchcraft. Hello? Hello in there? Excuse me. Hello! Am I talking to the wicked witch of the well?

KATE: He means you.

CLARA: Why am I the witch?

DOCTOR: (through fissure)
Clara?

CLARA: Hello?

DOCTOR: Clara, hi, hello. Hello. Would you mind telling these prattling mortals to get themselves begone?

CLARA: What...he said.

DOCTOR: Yes, tiny bit more colour.

CLARA: Right. Prattling mortals, off you pop, or I'll turn you all into frogs.

BENTHAM starts at that declaration.

DOCTOR: Oh, frogs, nice. You heard her.

CLARA: Doctor, what's going on?

DOCTOR: It's a...timey-wimey thing.

w*r DOCTOR: Timey...what? Timey-wimey?

TENTH DOCTOR: I've no idea where he picks that stuff up.

ELIZABETH walks into the clearing.

SOLDIERS: The Queen!

Everyone kneels down on the ground but the Doctors.

ELIZABETH: You don't seem to be kneeling. How tremendously brave of you.

TENTH DOCTOR: Which one are you? What happened to the other one?

ELIZABETH: Indisposed. Long live the Queen!

SOLDIERS: Long live the Queen!

ELIZABETH: Arrest these men. Take them to the Tower.

TENTH DOCTOR: (points at ELIZABETH) That is not the Queen of England - that's an alien duplicate!

DOCTOR: And you can take it from him, cos he's really checked.

TENTH DOCTOR: Oh, shut up!

DOCTOR: Venom sacs in the tongue.

TENTH DOCTOR: (lowers arm and faces DOCTOR) Seriously, stop it!

DOCTOR: No, hang on, the Tower! Did you say the Tower? Ah, yes, brilliant, love the Tower. Breakfast at eight, please. Will there Wi-Fi?

w*r DOCTOR: Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?

DOCTOR: (to w*r) Yes! No! (to ELIZABETH) I demand to be incarcerated in the Tower immediately with my co-conspirators, Sandshoes and Grandad!

w*r DOCTOR: Grandad?

TENTH DOCTOR: They're not sandshoes.

w*r DOCTOR: Yes, they are!

ELIZABETH: Silence! The Tower is not to be taken lightly.

ELIZABETH: (through fissure)
Very few emerge again.

KATE: Dear God, that man's clever. Come on! (heads for door)

CLARA: Where are we going?

KATE: My office. Otherwise known as the Tower of London.

INT. TOWER of LONDON, CELL, 1562, DAY

A JAILER shoves the three Doctors into a cell.

JAILER: Oi, you lot, get in there!

w*r DOCTOR: Ow!

The door is closed behind them. The DOCTOR picks up a long nail, holds it by the head in one hand and flicks the fingers of his other hand against it, causing a “ting”. He walks over to a wall and begins scraping. The w*r DOCTOR scans the door with his sonic screwdriver.

TENTH DOCTOR: Three of us in one cell - that's going to cause some nasty anomalies if we don't get out soon. (sees the DOCTOR) What are you doing?

DOCTOR: (stops and turns) Getting us out!

TENTH DOCTOR: (to w*r DOCTOR) The sonic won't work on that - it's too primitive.

The w*r DOCTOR stops scanning and turns to face the others.

DOCTOR: Shall we ask for a better quality of door so we can escape?

TENTH DOCTOR: OK, so the Queen of England is now a Zygon, but never mind that, why are we all together? Why are we all here? Well, me and...Chinny, we were surprised. But you came looking for us - you knew it was going to happen. Who told you?

Leaning against the wall behind the other Doctors, is the Moment, still in the guise of ROSE. Only the w*r DOCTOR can see her.

DOCTOR: Oi! "Chinny"?

TENTH DOCTOR: Yeah, you do have a chin.

OSGOOD and McGILLOP are testing the dust. She is looking over a report as he studies a sample under microscope.

OSGOOD: Marble, granite...a lot of different stone, but none of it from the fabric of the building. It's like somebody smashed up a lot of old statues. Are there any missing?

McGILLOP: (looks around) Don't think so. Why would anyone do that anyway? I mean, I know we're meant to keep an open mind, but are we supposed to believe in creatures that can hide in oil paintings and have some sort of a grudge against statues?

OSGOOD has a flash of a statue being knocked to the ground and uses her inhaler.

McGILLOP: You all right?

OSGOOD: We have to go - right now, this minute.

McGILLOP: What's wrong?

OSGOOD: The things from the paintings... I know why they smashed the statues.

McGILLOP: Why?

OSGOOD: Because they needed somewhere to hide.

The shrouded figures begin to move and the Zygons pull the sheets off and move in on the scientists. OSGOOD screams. One of the Zygons att*cks McGILLOP, holding a hand over his nose and mouth. OSGOOD runs out of the passage.

OSGOOD closes the door and rests against the painting, panting. The Zygon punches a hand through Elizabeth’s face and OSGOOD yelps. She runs for the exit but the metal door is in place. The Zygon crosses the room after her and she presses the call button for the lift. With nowhere to go, OSGOOD backs into a corner, pulls out her inhaler and takes a huff. She then closes her eyes and slides down the wall.

OSGOOD: The Doctor will save me, the Doctor will save me, the Doctor will save me, the Doctor will save me, the Doctor will save me, the Doctor will save me...

OSGOOD tucks her knees up, lowers her head and covers her face with her hands. There is a squishing sound.

ZYGON OSGOOD: Excuse me - I'm going to need my inhaler. (holds out hand) I so hate it when I get one with a defect! (grabs inhaler from OSGOOD) Oh, you've got some perfectly horrible memories in here, haven't you? (uses inhaler) So jealous of your pretty sister. I don't blame you, I wish I'd copied HER.

OSGOOD notices the Zygon is standing on her scarf.

OSGOOD: So do I!

OSGOOD pulls on her scarf causing her double to fall on the floor, dropping the inhaler.

ZYGON OSGOOD: Oh, for goodness' sake...!

OSGOOD hurriedly picks up the inhaler and runs from the room through the now-open door.

EXT. TOWER of LONDON, COURTYARD, DAY

A car pulls into the courtyard. CLARA and KAE are in the back. KATE is on her phone. It stops for security.

KATE: The Doctor will be trying to send us a message. We're looking for a string of numerals from around 1550, approximately -

priority one. (lowers window and talks to guard) I'm going to need access to the Black Archive.

The guard looks inside the car and it continues on.

INT. TOWER of LONDON, CORRIDOR, DAY

KATE leads CLARA through a metal corridor, the only bright light coming through the ventilator shafts.

KATE: The Black Archive. Highest security rating on the planet. The entire staff have their memories wiped at the end of every shift. Automated memory filters in the ceiling.

They come to a security door with a desk and guard off to the side.

KATE: Access, please. (holds up pass)

ATKINS: Ma'am. (goes to the door and inserts a key)

KATE: (holds out her own key) Atkins, isn't it?

ATKINS: (takes key) Yes, ma'am. First day here. (inserts key in second lock)

KATE: (whispers to CLARA) Been here ten years.

ATKINS opens the door and lets them in, closing it behind them.

INT. TOWER of LONDON, BLACK ARCHIVE, DAY

The room is a large warehouse of shelves filled with artefacts collected over UNIT’S existence. KATE locks the door.

CLARA: Lock and key - bit basic, isn't it?

KATE: Can't afford electronic security down here - got to keep the Doctor out. (walks deeper into the collection) The whole of the Tower is TARDIS-proofed. He really wouldn't approve of the collection.

CLARA: But you let me in?

KATE: You have a top-level security rating from your last visit. (points to a board covered in photographs)

CLARA: Sorry, my what? (looks at board)

There are photographs and notes on CLARA as well as past companions.

KATE: Apologies. We have to screen all of his known associates - we can't have information about the Doctor and the TARDIS falling into the wrong hands. The consequences could be disastrous.

KATE walks over to a window and looks into a room that contains a small wrist-strap resting on a pedestal.

CLARA: (walks over and looks in) What is that?

KATE: Time travel. A vortex manipulator, bequeathed to the UNIT archive by Captain Jack Harkness, on the occasion of his death. Well, one of them. No-one can know we have this, not even our allies.

CLARA: Why not?

KATE: Think about it! Americans with the ability to rewrite history? You've seen their movies. (walks to the door)

INT. TOWER of LONDON, CELL, DAY

We see the worn message the DOCTOR carved in 1562.

CLARA follows KATE.

CLARA: OK, so this is how we're going to rescue the Doctor.

KATE opens the door to the containment room.

KATE: I'm not sure there's enough power for a two-way trip. In any event, we don't know the activation code. The Doctor knows we have this, so he's always kept the code from us. Let's hope he changes his mind. (answers ringing phone) Yes. Well, if you've found it, photograph it and send it to my phone.

OSGOOD and McGILLOP arrive in the archive.

INT. TOWER of LONDON, CELL, DAY

KATE’S caller takes a photo of the message.

KATE sets her phone down on the pedestal. CLARA notices the two scientists.

CLARA: Erm, Kate. Should they be here? Why have they followed us?

KATE: Oh, they've probably just finished disposing of the humans a bit early.

CLARA: The humans...?

KATE: Dear me! I really do get into character, don't I?

KATE transforms into a Zygon and CLARA backs away with a gasp. The ZYGON turns to face the others.

ZYGON OSGOOD: The Under Gallery is secured.

The photograph appears on KATE’S phone.

ZYGON: Prepare to dispose of one more human. We have acquired the device.

CLARA turns KATE’S phone so she can read it and straps on the vortex manipulator. She types in the code before the ZYGON turns around.

CLARA: Activation code, right?

The ZYGON growls and CLARA hits the final button, disappearing from sight.

INT. TOWER of LONDON, CELL, 1562, DAY

The w*r DOCTOR scans the door and the DOCTOR continues to scratch his message.

w*r DOCTOR: In theory, I can trigger an isolated sonic shift among the molecules, and the door should disintegrate.

TENTH DOCTOR: We'd have to calculate the exact harmonic resonance of the entire structure down to a sub-atomic level. Even the sonic would take years.

w*r DOCTOR: No, no. The sonic would take centuries. Oh, we might as well get started. (sits on a bench by the door) Help to pass the "timey-wimey". Do you have to talk like children? What is it that makes you so ashamed of being a grown-up?

The DOCTOR stops scratching and looks over his shoulder towards the w*r DOCTOR. Even the TENTH DOCTOR can’t keep eye contact.

w*r DOCTOR: Oh, the way you both look at me. What is that? I'm trying to think of a better word than "dread".

TENTH DOCTOR: It must be really recent for you.

w*r DOCTOR: Recent?

DOCTOR: The Time w*r, the last day. The day you k*lled them all.

TENTH DOCTOR: The day WE k*lled them all.

DOCTOR: Same thing.

The TENTH DOCTOR walks away from them.

INTERFACE: It's history for them. All decided. They think their future is real - they don't know it's still up to you.

w*r DOCTOR: I don't talk about it.

INTERFACE is now sitting on the bench next to the w*r DOCTOR.

TENTH DOCTOR: You're not talking about it. There's no-one else here.

INTERFACE: Go on. Ask them. Ask them what you need to know.

w*r DOCTOR: Did you ever count?

DOCTOR: Count what?

w*r DOCTOR: How many children there were on Gallifrey that day.

DOCTOR: (stops scratching) I have absolutely no idea. (starts again)

w*r DOCTOR: How old are you now?

DOCTOR: Ah...I don't know, I lose track. Twelve hundred and something, I think, unless I'm lying. I can't remember if I'm lying about my age - that's how old I am.

w*r DOCTOR: 400 years older than me. And in all that time, you've never even wondered how many there were? You never once counted?

DOCTOR: (stops and faces the w*r DOCTOR) Tell me... what would be the point?

TENTH DOCTOR: 2.47 billion.

w*r DOCTOR: You DID count!

The DOCTOR shakes his head and goes back to his scratching. The TENTH DOCTOR stares at him.

TENTH DOCTOR: (angrily) You forgot? 400 years? Is that all it takes?

DOCTOR: (stops scratching and faces him) I moved on.

TENTH DOCTOR: Where?! Where can you be now that you can forget something like that?

DOCTOR: Spoilers.

TENTH DOCTOR: No. No, no, no. For once, I would like to know where I'm going.

DOCTOR: No. You really wouldn't.

They stare at each other.

w*r DOCTOR: I don't know who you are...either of you. I haven't got the faintest idea.

INTERFACE: They're you. They're what you become if you destroy Gallifrey. The man who regrets...and the man who forgets. The moment is coming. The Moment is me, you have to decide.

The DOCTOR goes back to scratching his message.

w*r DOCTOR: No.

TENTH DOCTOR: No?

w*r DOCTOR: Just...no!

The DOCTOR leans against the pillar and laughs.

TENTH DOCTOR: Is something funny? Did I miss a funny thing?

DOCTOR: Sorry. It just occurred to me. This is what I'm like when I'm alone.

The INTERFACE is now standing by the TENTH DOCTOR as he tosses the sonic in the air.

INTERFACE: It's the same screwdriver. Same software...different case.

w*r DOCTOR: (stares at sonic) 400 years!

TENTH DOCTOR: I'm sorry?

w*r DOCTOR: At a software level, they're all the same device, aren't they? Same software, different case.

TENTH DOCTOR: Yeah. So...?

The DOCTOR takes his sonic from his pocket and he and the TENTH DOCTOR approach the door and watch the w*r DOCTOR as he faces the door.

w*r DOCTOR: So, it would take centuries for the screwdriver to calculate how to disintegrate the door. (scans the door) Scanning the door, implanting the calculation as a permanent subroutine in the software architecture and... (turns and faces the others) if you really are me, with your sandshoes and your dicky bow, and that screwdriver is still mine... that calculation is still going on.

The TENTH DOCTOR turns on his screwdriver and holds it up to his ear.

TENTH DOCTOR: Yeah. Still going.

DOCTOR: (holds up his screwdriver) Calculation complete.

INTERFACE: Same software. Different face.

DOCTOR: Eh, 400 years in four seconds. We may have our differences, which is frankly odd in the circumstances, but I tell you what, boys, we are incredibly clever!

The door opens and CLARA runs in. She looks at the three of them curiously.

DOCTOR: How did you that?

CLARA: It wasn't locked.

DOCTOR: Right.

CLARA: So they're both you, then, yeah?

DOCTOR: Yes. You've met them before, don't you remember?

CLARA: A bit. Nice suit!

TENTH DOCTOR: (puts sonic away) Thanks.

CLARA: Hang on. Three of you in one cell, and none of you thought to try the door?

w*r DOCTOR: It should have been locked.

DOCTOR: Yes, exactly! Why wasn't it locked?

ELIZABETH: (enters) Because I was fascinated to see what you would do upon escaping. I understand you're rather fond of this world. It's time I think you saw what's going to happen to it. (walks out)

OSGOOD peeks through the hole in the painting, her face appearing where ELIZABETH’S was.

OSGOOD walks through the passage, shining a torch in front of her. She hears a groan and turns around to shine the light on one of the walls where a shrouded figure is attached to the wall by nasty red cords. OSGOOD looks at the bottom and sees black heels. She pulls the sheet off to reveal KATE covered with some sort of webbing.

OSGOOD: Kate? Oh, goodness, you're not actually dead. Oh, that's tremendous news! (starts freeing KATE) Those creatures, they turn themselves into copies. And they need to keep the original alive, refresh the image, so to speak.

KATE: (breathless) Where...where did they go?

OSGOOD: I don't know. Ooh, hang on - yes, I do. The Tower.

KATE: If those creatures have got access to the Black Archive, we may just have lost control of the planet.

INT. TOWER of LONDON, ZYGON BASE, 1562, DAY

ELIZABETH leads them to a balcony overlooking the Zygon base where a number of the aliens are working at machines.

ELIZABETH: The Zygons lost their own world. It b*rned in the first days of the Time w*r. A new home is required.

CLARA: So they want this one?

ELIZABETH: Not yet. Far too primitive. Zygons are used to a certain level of comfort.

ZYGON: Commander... why are these creatures here? (stands in doorway)

ELIZABETH: Because I say they should be. It is time you too were translated.

The ZYGON growls and walks towards a glass cube resting on a pedestal.

ELIZABETH: Observe this. I believe you will find it fascinating.

The ZYGON rests its hand on the top of the cube. There is a whirring and the ZYGON is disseminated and pulled into the cube before reappearing in the painting.

CLARA: That's him! That's the Zygon in the picture now. (walks forward to look at painting)

w*r DOCTOR: It's not a picture, it's a Stasis Cube. Time Lord art - frozen instants in time, bigger on the inside but could be deployed as...

TENTH DOCTOR: Suspended animation.

The DOCTOR snaps his fingers and points at the TENTH DOCTOR.

TENTH DOCTOR: Oh, that's very good. The Zygons all pop inside the pictures, wait a few centuries till the planet's a bit more interesting, and then out they come. (stands by CLARA)

DOCTOR: (walks forward) You see, Clara, they're stored in the paintings in the Under Gallery, like Cup-a-Soups. Except you add time - if you can picture that. Nobody could picture that. Forget I said Cup-a-Soups.

CLARA: And now the world is worth conquering. So the Zygons are invading the future from the past.

DOCTOR: Exactly!

TENTH DOCTOR: (turns on ELIZABETH) And do you know why I know that you're a fake? Because you're such a bad copy. It's not just the smell, or the unconvincing hair, or the atrocious teeth, or the eyes just a bit too close together, or the breath that could stun a horse - it's because my Elizabeth, the real Elizabeth, would never be stupid enough to reveal her own plan. Honestly, why would you do that?

ELIZABETH: Because it's not my plan, and I AM the real Elizabeth.

TENTH DOCTOR: OK. So...backtracking a moment, just to lend some context to my earlier remarks...

ELIZABETH: My twin is dead in the forest. I am accustomed to taking precautions. (lifts skirt and pulls a jeweled dagger from her garter) These Zygon creatures never even considered that it was me who survived, rather than their own commander. The arrogance that typifies their kind.

CLARA: Zygons?

ELIZABETH: Men!

CLARA: And you actually k*lled one of them?

ELIZABETH: I may have the body of a weak and feeble woman, but at the time, so did the Zygon. (to TENTH) The future of my kingdom is imperilled. Doctor, can I rely on your service?

TENTH DOCTOR: Well, I'm going to need my TARDIS.

ELIZABETH: It has been procured already.

TENTH DOCTOR: Ah! (smiles)

ELIZABETH: But first, my love, you have a promise to keep!

EXT. CASTLE, COURTYARD, DAY

The TARDIS stands off to the side. In front of a tent, a minister performs the wedding ceremony as the Doctors stand on one side and CLARA on the other.

MINISTER: I now pronounce you man and wife. You may kiss the bride.

ELIZABETH grabs the TENTH DOCTOR’S face and plants a passionate kiss on his mouth. CLARA cheers and throws confetti.

w*r DOCTOR: Is there a lot of this in the future?

DOCTOR: It does start to happen, yeah.

The TENTH DOCTOR pulls away from the kiss.

ELIZABETH: God speed, my love.

TENTH DOCTOR: I will be right back. (runs for the TARDIS)

INT. TARDIS

The TENTH DOCTOR runs inside to the console and bangs on one of the panels with a mallet.

EXT. CASTLE, COURTYARD, DAY

The Doctors and CLARA walk over to the TARDIS.

DOCTOR: Right, then, back to the future.

They enter the TARDIS.

INT. TARDIS

They look around. The w*r DOCTOR notices the changes and the DOCTOR remembers what it used to be.

w*r DOCTOR: You've let this place go a bit!

DOCTOR: Ah, it's his grunge phase. He grows out of it.

TENTH DOCTOR: Don't you listen to them! (pats the column)

An alarm continues to go off. The console sparks and the walls change to brightly lit white with rondels.

TENTH DOCTOR: Ooh! The desktop is glitching.

w*r DOCTOR: Three of us from different time zones, it's trying to compensate.

DOCTOR: (points to the walls) Hey, look, the round things.

TENTH DOCTOR: I love the round things.

DOCTOR: What ARE the round things?

TENTH DOCTOR: No idea.

There is a beeping from a panel on the console and the DOCTOR hurries over to flip the switch.

DOCTOR: Oh, dear, the friction contrafibulator.

The console sparks again and the TARDIS changes to the current DOCTOR’S TARDIS interior.

DOCTOR: Ha! There! Stabilised.

TENTH DOCTOR: Oh, you've redecorated! I don't like it.

DOCTOR: Oh? Oh, yeah. Oh, you never do! Listen, we're going to the National Gallery - the Zygons are underneath it.

CLARA: No, UNIT HQ, they followed us there in the Black Archive.

The three Doctors turn and look at her.

CLARA: OK...so you've heard of that, then.

The Zygons are going through the collection. Two have retained the human forms of OSGOOD and McGILLOP.

ZYGON McGILLOP: The equipment here is phenomenal. The humans don't realize what half this stuff does - we could conquer their world in a day.

ZYGON: We were fortunate, then... in our choice of duplicate.

ZYGON McGILLOP: If I were human, I'd say it was Christmas.

KATE enters with the real OSGOOD and McGILLOP.

KATE: No. I'm afraid you wouldn't. We're not armed. You may relax.

ZYGON: We are armed. You may not.

KATE: (to McGILLOP) Lock the door. I'm afraid we can't be interrupted. (stands on one side of a table with the scientists) You don't mind if I get comfortable? (sits)

ZYGON: You don't mind if I do? (morphs into KATE walking to table)

The table acts as a mirror, reflecting the humans on one side and the Zygon counterparts on the other.

KATE: You'll realise there are protocols protecting this place. Osgood...

OSGOOD: In the event of alien incursion, the contents of this room are deemed so dangerous, it will self-destruct in...

KATE: Five minutes.

KATE starts the countdown and an alarm sounds.

KATE: There's a nuclear warhead 20 feet beneath us. Are you sitting comfortably?

ZYGON KATE: You would destroy London?

KATE: To save the world? Yes, I would.

ZYGON KATE: You're bluffing.

KATE: You really think so? Somewhere in your memory is a man called Brigadier Alistair Gordon Lethbridge-Stewart. I'm his daughter.

DOCTOR: (over device) "Science leads," Kate. Is that what you meant? Is this what your father meant?

KATE: Doctor?

DOCTOR: (over device) Space-Time Telegraph, Kate. A gift from me to your father, hotline straight to the TARDIS.

- CUT TO:

INT. TARDIS

DOCTOR: I know about the Black Archive and I know about the security protocol. Kate, please, please, tell me you are not about to do something unbelievably stupid!

KATE: I'm sorry, Doctor. Switch it off.

McGILLOP goes to turn it off.

TENTH DOCTOR: Not as sorry as you will be. This is not a decision you will ever be able to live with. (looks over the DOCTOR)

The TARDIS rocks and shudders.

DOCTOR: Kate! We're trying to bring the TARDIS in - why can't we land?

KATE: I said switch it off!

DOCTOR: No, Kate, please, just listen to me... The Tower of London - totally TARDIS-proof.

CLARA: How can they do that?

DOCTOR: Alien technology plus human stupidity - trust me, it's unbeatable.

w*r DOCTOR: We don't need to land.

TENTH DOCTOR: Yeah, we do, a tiny bit. Try and keep up.

w*r DOCTOR: No, we don't. We don't. There is another way. (picks up the stasis cube) Cup-a-Soup!

The DOCTOR looks over at the TENTH DOCTOR and they both smile.

w*r DOCTOR: What is Cup-a-Soup?

DOCTOR: What happened?

KATE: Easier to show you.

KATE leads the DOCTOR and CLARA from the gallery. A lab-coated scientist makes to follow but stops when his phone rings. OSGOOD follows.

McGILLOP: McGillop.

- CUT TO:

EXT. TARDIS

The DOCTOR is standing at the open door of the TARDIS using the phone.

DOCTOR: Take a look at your phone and confirm who you're talking to.

McGILLOP looks at the screen of his phone and sees the ID on the screen.

McGILLOP: But that's not possible. I was just...

DOCTOR: You were just talking to me, I know. I'm a time traveller - figure it out. I need you to send the Gallifrey Falls painting to the Black Archive. Understood?

McGILLOP: Understood, sir. But why would I take it there?

The countdown goes to 2:58.

ZYGON KATE: One word from you would cancel the countdown.

KATE: Quite so.

ZYGON KATE: It's keyed to your voice print.

KATE: And mine alone.

ZYGON KATE: Not anymore. (faces device) Cancel the detonation!

KATE: (stands) Countermanded!

ZYGON KATE: (stands) Cancel the detonation!

KATE: Countermanded!

ZYGON KATE: We only have to agree, to live.

KATE: Sadly, we can only agree to die.

OSGOOD: (steps away) Please, Doctor. Please save us. Please save us. Please save us. Please save us...

The camera zooms in to the painting as it rests on the floor behind OSGOOD.

EXT. STREET, ARCADIA

Earlier where it had only been the w*r DOCTOR, there are now three DOCTORS. A DALEK comes up behind them and they turn, aiming their sonics.

They fire at it and it screams as it rolls backwards and through the glass.

The Dalek crashes through the glass of the painting, exploding.

EXT. STREET, ARCADIA

The Doctors stride through the city following the path of the Dalek.

The Doctors stride into the Black Archive and up to the table. CLARA peers out from the painting.

w*r DOCTOR: Hello.

TENTH DOCTOR: I'm the Doctor.

DOCTOR: Sorry about the Dalek.

CLARA: Also the showing off.

DOCTOR: (walks over to ZYGON KATE) Kate Lethbridge-Stewart, what in the name of sanity are you doing?

KATE: The countdown can only be halted at my personal command. There's nothing you can do.

TENTH DOCTOR: (walks over) Except make you both agree to halt it.

KATE: Not even for three of you.

w*r DOCTOR: You're about to m*rder millions of people.

KATE: To save billions. How many times have you made that calculation?

DOCTOR: Once. Turned me into the man I am now. I'm not even sure who that is any more.

TENTH DOCTOR: (walks over to the head of the table) You tell yourself it's justified, but it's a lie. Because what I did that day was wrong. Just wrong. (rests hands on table and leans over)

The w*r DOCTOR looks around and sees the INTERFACE. He looks at the other Doctors and then back to see only CLARA.

DOCTOR: And because I got it wrong... I'm going to make you...get it right.

The DOCTOR and the TENTH DOCTOR pulled two wheeled chairs from either side of the table, sit down, prop their feet on the table and cross their arms across their chests, all in unison.

KATE: How?

TENTH DOCTOR: Any second now, you're going to stop that countdown. (points at them) Both of you. Together.

DOCTOR: Then you're going to negotiate the most perfect treaty of all time.

TENTH DOCTOR: (leans his head towards the DOCTOR) Safeguards all round, fair on both sides.

DOCTOR: And the key to perfect negotiation...

TENTH DOCTOR: Not knowing what side you're on.

They push away from the table and stand.

DOCTOR: So, for the next few hours... until we decide to let you out...

They pull their sonics from their jacket pockets. The TENTH DOCTOR gives his a toss.

TENTH DOCTOR: No-one in this room will be able to remember if they're human...

DOCTOR: Or Zygon.

TENTH DOCTOR: Whoops-a-daisy!

They leap onto the table and use the sonics on the memory filter. The w*r DOCTOR adds his to the mix. The filter breaks down in sparks. With the clock down to mere seconds, both KATES give in.

BOTH: Cancel the detonation!

The clock stops at five seconds.

DOCTOR: Peace in our time.

>>> LATER >>>

The KATES begin negotiating with the McGILLOPS. The OSGOODS stand a bit away from the others, facing each other.

OSGOOD: It's funny, isn't it? If I'm a Zygon, then my clothes must be Zygon too. So, what happens if I lose a shoe or something?

OSGOOD 2 coughs.

OSGOOD: Oh! (reaches into her pocket and pulls out the inhaler)

OSGOOD 2 looks at OSGOOD who puts a finger to her lips. OSGOOD 2 takes the inhaler and uses it. In another section of the room, CLARA walks past a head of Cyberman and looks at the bulletin board bearing pictures and information of past companions including Ian, Barbara, Susan, Mike Yates, Sara Kingdom, Ben and Polly. CLARA looks over and sees the w*r DOCTOR sitting in a large wingback chair drinking tea. She walks over, pulls up a chair and sits across from him.

CLARA: Hello.

w*r DOCTOR: Hello.

CLARA: I'm Clara. We haven't really met yet.

w*r DOCTOR: I look forward to it.

CLARA studies him.

w*r DOCTOR: Is there a problem?

CLARA: The Doctor - my... my Doctor - he's always talking about the day he did it, the day he wiped out the Time Lords to stop the w*r...

w*r DOCTOR: One would.

CLARA: You wouldn't. Because you haven't done it yet. It's still in your future.

w*r DOCTOR: You're very sure of yourself.

CLARA: He regrets it. I see it in his eyes every day. He'd do anything to change it.

w*r DOCTOR: Including saving all these people. How many worlds has his regret saved, do you think? Look over there - humans and Zygons working together in peace. How did you know?

CLARA: Your eyes. You're so much younger.

w*r DOCTOR: Then, all things considered... it's time I grew up. (sees the INTERFACE behind CLARA) I've seen all I needed. The moment has come. (turns to look at the INTERFACE) I'm ready.

INTERFACE: I know you are.

CLARA turns around but sees no one.

CLARA: Who's there? Who were you talking to...? (turns back to see an empty chair)

INT. BARN, DAY

The w*r DOCTOR stands in front of the Moment, a large red button on top of it. He stares at it, contemplating his actions.

INTERFACE: You wanted a big red button. One big bang - no more Time Lords, no more Daleks. Are you sure?

w*r DOCTOR: I was sure when I came in here. There is no other way.

INTERFACE: You've seen the men you will become.

w*r DOCTOR: Those men... extraordinary.

INTERFACE: They were you.

w*r DOCTOR: No. They were the Doctor.

INTERFACE: You're the Doctor too.

w*r DOCTOR: No. Great men are forged in fire. It is the privilege of lesser men to light the flame... whatever the cost. (hand hesitates over the button)

INTERFACE: You know the sound the TARDIS makes? That wheezing...groaning. That sound brings hope wherever it goes.

w*r DOCTOR: Yes. Yes, I like to think it does.

INTERFACE: To anyone who hears it, Doctor. Anyone, however lost... even you!

Two TARDISes materialize at the far end of the barn. The TENTH DOCTOR steps out of his and the DOCTOR and CLARA step out of the other. They look around the building, taking in their surroundings, as they walk over to the w*r DOCTOR and the Moment.

CLARA: I told you - he hasn't done it yet.

w*r DOCTOR: Go away now, all of you. This is for me. (turns his back on them)

TENTH DOCTOR: These events should be time locked - we shouldn't even be here.

DOCTOR: So something let us through.

INTERFACE: You clever boys!

w*r DOCTOR: Go back. Go back to your lives. Go and be the Doctor that I could never be. Make it worthwhile. (puts his hand on the button)

TENTH DOCTOR: All those years, burying you in my memory.

DOCTOR: Pretending you didn't exist. Keeping you a secret, even from myself.

TENTH DOCTOR: Pretending you weren't the Doctor, when you were the Doctor more than anybody else.

DOCTOR: You were the Doctor on the day it wasn't possible to get it right. (moves to stand next to the w*r DOCTOR)

TENTH DOCTOR: But this time... (stands on the w*r DOCTOR'S other side and puts his hand on the button as well)

DOCTOR: You don't have to do it alone. (puts his hand on top of TENTH'S)

w*r DOCTOR: Thank you.

TENTH DOCTOR: What we do today is not out of fear or hatred. It is done because there is no other way.

DOCTOR: And it is done in the name of the many lives we are failing to save.

CLARA is on the verge of tears. The DOCTOR looks over at her and she shakes her head.

DOCTOR: What? What is it, what?

CLARA: Nothing...

DOCTOR: No. It's something. Tell me!

CLARA: You told me you wiped out your own people. I just... I never pictured you doing it, that's all.

INTERFACE: Take a closer look.

The barn darkens and they are shown what is happening in Arcadia as if they were right in the middle of it.

CLARA: What's happening?

w*r DOCTOR: Nothing - it's a projection.

INTERFACE: It's a reality around you.

They watch as families are torn apart. CLARA turns to the Doctors.

CLARA: These are the people you're going to burn?

TENTH DOCTOR: There isn't anything we can do.

DOCTOR: He's right. There isn't another way, there never was. Either I destroy my own people or let the universe burn.

CLARA: Look at you... the three of you. The warrior. The hero. And you.

DOCTOR: (walks over to CLARA) And what am I?

CLARA: Have you really forgotten?

DOCTOR: Yes. Maybe, yes.

CLARA: We've got enough warriors - any old idiot can be hero.

DOCTOR: Then what do I do?

CLARA: What you've always done. Be a doctor! You told me the name you chose was a promise. What was the promise?

People begin to come out of hiding after the battle and families are reunited.

TENTH DOCTOR: Never cruel or cowardly.

w*r DOCTOR: Never give up, never give in.

The DOCTOR looks at the other two, raising his eyebrows trying to convey a thought.

TENTH DOCTOR: You're not actually suggesting that we change our own personal history?

DOCTOR: We change history all the time. I'm suggesting something far worse.

w*r DOCTOR: What, exactly?

DOCTOR: Gentleman, I have had 400 years to think about this. I've changed my mind. (uses sonic on the Moment and it closes)

w*r DOCTOR: There's still a billion billion Daleks up there, attacking.

The TENTH DOCTOR and the DOCTOR pace back and forth.

DOCTOR: Yeah, there is, there is.

TENTH DOCTOR: But there's something those billion billion Daleks don't know.

DOCTOR: Cos if they did, they'd probably send for reinforcements.

CLARA: What? What don't they know?

DOCTOR: This time, there's three of us.

w*r DOCTOR: Oh! Oh! Oh, yes, that is good! That is brilliant!

TENTH DOCTOR: (excited) Oh, oh, oh! I'm getting that too - that is brilliant! (jumps up and slaps the TARDIS)

DOCTOR: Ha-ha-ha! I've been thinking about it for centuries!

w*r DOCTOR: She didn't just show me any old future - she showed me exactly the future I needed to see!

INTERFACE: Now you're getting it.

DOCTOR: Eh? Who did?

w*r DOCTOR: Oh, Bad Wolf Girl, I could kiss you.

INTERFACE: Yep, that's going to happen!

TENTH DOCTOR: Sorry, did you say, "Bad Wolf"?

CLARA: So what are we doing? What's the plan?

w*r DOCTOR: The Dalek fleets are surrounding Gallifrey, f*ring on it constantly.

TENTH DOCTOR: The Sky Trench is holding, but what if the whole planet... just disappeared?

CLARA: Tiny bit of an ask.

TENTH DOCTOR: The Daleks would be f*ring on each other - they'd destroy themselves in their own crossfire.

w*r DOCTOR: Gallifrey would be gone, the Daleks would be destroyed, and it would look to the rest of the universe as if they'd annihilated each other.

CLARA: But where would Gallifrey be?

TENTH DOCTOR: Frozen! Frozen in an instant of time, safe and hidden away.

DOCTOR: Exactly!

w*r DOCTOR: Like a painting.

They smile.

SPACE

The Daleks continue to fire on the planet.

INT. MAP ROOM, ARCADIA

A number of Time Lords are monitoring the action around the planet.

ANDROGAR: Another one!

GENERAL: Are you sure the message is from him?

ANDROGAR: Oh, yes!

The new message from the DOCTOR reads "Gallifrey Stands".

GENERAL: Why would he do that? What's the mad fool talking about now?

DOCTOR: (over projection) Hello, hello, Gallifrey High Command, this is the Doctor speaking.

TENTH DOCTOR: (over projection) Hello! Also the Doctor. Can you hear me?

w*r DOCTOR: (over projection) Also the Doctor - standing ready.

GENERAL: Dear God, three of them! All my worst nightmares at once!

TENTH DOCTOR: (over projection) General, we have a plan.

CONTINUED, INTERCUT WITH–
CUT TO:
INT. TARDIS

DOCTOR: We should point out, at this moment, it is a fairly terrible plan.

TENTH DOCTOR: (over projection) And almost certainly won't work.

DOCTOR: (over projection) I was happy with "fairly terrible".

TENTH DOCTOR: (over projection) Sorry, just thinking out loud.

DOCTOR: We're flying our three TARDISes into your lower atmosphere.

TENTH DOCTOR: We're positioned at equidistant intervals round the globe. "Equidistant" - so grown-up!

w*r DOCTOR: We're just about ready to do it.

CONTINUED, INTERCUT WITH–
CUT TO:
SPACE

The TARDISes take up position.

GENERAL: (V.O.) Ready to do what?

DOCTOR: We're going to freeze Gallifrey.

GENERAL: I'm sorry, what?

TENTH DOCTOR: Using our TARDISes, we're going to freeze Gallifrey in a single moment in time.

w*r DOCTOR: (over projection) You know, like those Stasis Cubes? A single moment in time held in a parallel pocket universe.

DOCTOR: Except we're going to do it to a whole planet.

TENTH DOCTOR: And all the people on it.

GENERAL: What? Even if that were possible, which it isn't, why would you do such a thing?

DOCTOR: Because the alternative is burning.

TENTH DOCTOR: And I've seen that.

DOCTOR: And I never want to see it again.

GENERAL: We'd be lost in another universe... frozen in a single moment. We'd have nothing.

DOCTOR: You would have hope. And right now, that is exactly what you don't have.

GENERAL: It's delusional. The calculations alone would take...hundreds of years.

DOCTOR: Oh, hundreds and hundreds.

TENTH DOCTOR: But don't worry - I started a very long time ago!

SPACE

The Daleks continue to fire on the planet and another TARDIS appears.

FIRST DOCTOR: (V.O.) Calling the w*r Council of Gallifrey, this is the Doctor.

INT. MAP ROOM, ARCADIA

The FIRST DOCTOR appears on one of the projection screens.

SPACE

A number of TARDISes whirl around the planet.

DOCTOR: (V.O.) You might say, I've been doing this all my lives!

INT. MAP ROOM, ARCADIA

Various past Doctors appear on projections.

SECOND DOCTOR: Good luck!'

THIRD DOCTOR: Stand by.

EIGHTH DOCTOR: Ready?

FIRST DOCTOR: Commencing calculations.

FIFTH DOCTOR: Soon be there.

SEVENTH DOCTOR: Across the boundaries that divide one universe from another.

SIXTH DOCTOR: Just got to lock on to his coordinates.

NINTH DOCTOR: And for my next trick...!

GENERAL: I didn't know when I was well off! All 12 of them!

ANDROGAR: No, sir... all 13!

The eyes of the TWELFTH DOCTOR appear. The room rocks as the DALEKS pick up the pace.

ANDROGAR: Sir! The Daleks know that something is happening. They're increasing their fire power.

GENERAL: Do it, Doctor. Just do it. 'Do it!'

DOCTOR: OK. 'Gentleman...we're ready.' Geronimo...! (throws switch)

TENTH DOCTOR: Allons-y! (throws switch)

w*r DOCTOR: Oh, for God's sake! Gallifrey stands! (throws switch)

SPACE

The TARDISes circle the planet and we briefly see a field form before it explodes. Remnants of Dalek ships scatter from the blast.

The w*r DOCTOR drops a sugar cube into a cup of tea.

w*r DOCTOR: I don't suppose we'll ever know if we actually succeeded. But at worst, we failed doing the right thing, as opposed to succeeding in doing the wrong.

CLARA is sitting next to him on a bench. The TARDISes are lined up against the wall.

CLARA: Life and soul, you are(!)

The DOCTOR and the TENTH DOCTOR are standing in front of the bench looking at the painting of Arcadia. Both have their brainy specs on.

TENTH DOCTOR: What is it actually called?

DOCTOR: Well, there's some debate. Either No More or Gallifrey Falls.

w*r DOCTOR: Not very encouraging.

TENTH DOCTOR: How did it get here?

DOCTOR: No idea. (takes off glasses)

TENTH DOCTOR: There's always something we don't know, isn't there?

w*r DOCTOR: One should certainly hope so. Well, gentlemen... (stands and walks over to them) it has been an honour... and a privilege.

TENTH DOCTOR: Likewise.

DOCTOR: Doctor.

w*r DOCTOR: And if I grow to be half the man that you are, (turns to CLARA) Clara Oswald, I shall be happy indeed.

The DOCTOR and the TENTH DOCTOR share a look.

CLARA: That's right - aim high! (chuckles, stands, kisses his cheek)

w*r DOCTOR: I won't remember this, will I?

DOCTOR: The time streams are out of sync. You can't retain it, no.

w*r DOCTOR: So I won't remember that I tried to save Gallifrey, rather than burn it. I'll have to live with that. But for now, for this moment... I am the Doctor again. Thank you. (looks at the TARDISes) Which one is mine?!

The other two nod towards the one on the right, the one that is the most b*at-up.

w*r DOCTOR: Ha!

The w*r DOCTOR enters the TARDIS and it dematerializes.

INT. TARDIS

The w*r DOCTOR notices a glow around his hands as his regeneration begins.

w*r DOCTOR: Oh, yes... Course, suppose it makes sense... Wearing a bit thin. (the glow spreads up his neck to his face) I hope the ears are bit less conspicuous this time.

The regeneration energy sh**t from his hands and head.

CLARA sits back down.

TENTH DOCTOR: (removes glasses) I won't remember either, so you might as well tell me.

DOCTOR: (walks over) Tell you what?

TENTH DOCTOR: Where it is we're going that you don't want to talk about.

DOCTOR: (hesitates) I saw Trenzalore... where we're buried. We die in battle among millions.

TENTH DOCTOR: That's not how it's supposed to be.

DOCTOR: That's how the story ends - nothing we can do about it. Trenzalore is where you're going.

TENTH DOCTOR: Oh, never say nothing. (shakes the DOCTOR'S hand) Anyway... good to know my future is in safe hands. Keep a tight hold on it, Clara. (sets tea on the bench)

CLARA: Mm! On it!

CLARA stands and reaches out her hand. The TENTH DOCTOR takes it, lifts it to his lips and kisses it. He then heads towards his TARDIS.

TENTH DOCTOR: Trenzalore. (unlocks door) We need a new destination, because... (opens door) I don't want to go. (enters)

The TARDIS dematerializes.

DOCTOR: He always says that. (walks over and stands in front of the painting)

CLARA: Need a moment alone with your painting?

DOCTOR: How did you know?

CLARA: Those big, sad eyes.

DOCTOR: Ah.

CLARA walks over to the DOCTOR, caresses his face and kisses his cheek.

CLARA: I always know. (heads for the TARDIS) Oh, by the way, there was an old man looking for you. I think it was the curator. (goes inside)

Alone, the DOCTOR sits on the bench and looks at the painting.

DOCTOR: I could be a curator. I'd be great at curating. I'd be...the great curator. I could retire and do that. I could retire and be the curator of this place.

CURATOR: You know, I really think you might.

The DOCTOR looks over at the older man, shocked. He stands and walks to look at him face-to-face. The CURATOR bears a striking resemblance to an older version of his fourth incarnation.

DOCTOR: I never forget a face.

CURATOR: I know you don't, and in years to come, you might find yourself revisiting a few but just...the old favourites, eh?

The DOCTOR winks at him.

CURATOR: You were curious about this painting, I think. I acquired it in remarkable circumstances. What do you make of the title?

DOCTOR: Which title? There's two. No More... or Gallifrey Falls?

CURATOR: Oh, you see, that's where everybody's wrong. It's all one title. Gallifrey Falls No More. Now, what would you think that means, eh?

DOCTOR: That Gallifrey didn't fall. It worked. It's still out there.

CURATOR: I'm only a humble curator - I'm sure I wouldn't know. (turns away)

DOCTOR: Then where is it?

CURATOR: (turns back) Where is it indeed? Lost - shh! - perhaps. Things do get lost, you know. Now you must excuse me. Oh... you have a lot to do.

DOCTOR: Do I?

CURATOR: Mm.

DOCTOR: Is that what I'm supposed to do now? Go looking for Gallifrey?

CURATOR: Oh, it's entirely up to you. Your choice. I can only tell you what I would do, if I were you... Oh...! If I were you...

The two chuckle.

CURATOR: Perhaps I WAS you, of course.

The two chuckle.

CURATOR: Or perhaps... you are me.

DOCTOR: Yeah!

CURATOR: (shakes the DOCTOR'S hand) Congratulations.

DOCTOR: Thank you very much.

CURATOR: Or perhaps it doesn't matter either way. Who knows? Who...knows? (taps the side of his nose)

The CURATOR leaves and the DOCTOR turns around and looks at the painting, a smile on his face.

INT. TARDIS

The DOCTOR walks around the console.

DOCTOR: (V.O.) 'Clara sometimes asks me if I dream. "Course I dream," I tell her. "Everybody dreams." "But what do you dream about?" she'll ask. "The same thing everybody dreams about," I tell her. "I dream about where I'm going." (opens the door and steps out)

EXT. TARDIS

The DOCTOR steps out of the TARDIS and walks forward, joining a line of his past incarnations. They look up into the sky at Gallifrey.

DOCTOR: (V.O.) She always laughs at that. "But you're not going anywhere - you're just wandering about." That's not true. Not anymore. I have a new destination. My journey is the same as yours, the same as anyone's. It's taken me so many years, so many lifetimes, but at last I know where I'm going, where I've always been going. Home...the long way round.'