2005-12-25 - The Christmas Invasion

Doctor Who Special Episode transcripts. This collection spans from November 25, 1983 to present.*

Moderator: Kitty Midnight

The further adventures of the renegade Time Lord, Doctor Who and his companions, from cross-overs to Christmas Specials. 2016-12-25 - "The Return of Doctor Mysterio"

Watch/Buy Amazon  Merchandise  Collectibles

Classic Who   NuWho  

2005-12-25 - The Christmas Invasion

Post by bunniefuu »

EXT. SPACE

Planet Earth. Zoom down into London, right into

INT. TYLER'S FLAT

Jackie picks up a red bauble and hangs it on a white Christmas tree, which is standing in the corner of the room. She picks up two presents, ready to put them under the tree, when the label of one of them catches her eye. She sits down slowly, holding the present. The label says "To Rose. Merry Christmas. Lots of love, Mum x". Jackie sighs.

INT. MICKEY'S CAR WORKSHOP

The radio is blaring out "Merry Christmas". Mickey suddenly pauses in his work, listening intently.

MICKEY: Hey, turn that down. Hey, Stevo, turn that off! Turn it off!

The radio is turned off, and we can clearly hear the sound of the TARDIS engines. Mickey listens, and then dashes off.

INT. TYLER'S FLAT

Jackie, who is hanging up some Christmas cards on a length of string on the wall, stops and turns around as she also hears the engines.

JACKIE: Rose!

EXT. POWELL ESTATE

Jackie exits the block of flats and running outside, where she is shortly joined by Mickey. They run towards each other.

JACKIE: Mickey!

MICKEY: Jackie, it's the TARDIS!

JACKIE: I know! I know, I heard it! She's alive, Mickey! I said so, didn't I? She's alive!

MICKEY: Shush! Shut up a minute!

They both look frantically around.

JACKIE: Well, where is it then?

Suddenly, the TARDIS appears out of thin air, about 20 feet above their heads. It crashes against the buildings on either side as it falls to Earth. Jackie screams and grabs onto Mickey. It finally skids to a halt, smashing into a post van and knocking over some dustbins on the way. The Doctor throws the doors open and peers out with his mouth wide open.

THE DOCTOR: Here we are, then! London! Earth! The Solar System! We did it!

He stumbles out of the TARDIS, gazing up at the flats with his mouth still hanging open. Jackie and Mickey both stare at him. The Doctor suddenly notices them.

THE DOCTOR (CONT'D): Jackie! Mickey! Blimey! No, no, no, no, hold on. (Stumbles backwards a few steps). Wait there, I've got something to say. There was something I had to tell you. Something important, what was it? No, hold on, hold on... (Comes back to them and puts his hands on Jackie's and Mickey's shoulders, apparently thinking hard). Hold on, shush, shush, shush, shush... Oh!

Jackie and Mickey jump in alarm.

THE DOCTOR (CONT'D): I know! (Looks from one to the other, panting and beaming). Merry Christmas!

And then he collapses, falling to the ground unconscious. Rose comes out of the TARDIS and notices him on the ground.

ROSE: What happened? Is he all right?

MICKEY: I don't know, he just keeled over! But who is he? Where's the Doctor?

ROSE: That's him. Right in front of you. That's the Doctor.

JACKIE: What d'you mean, "That's the Doctor"? Doctor who?

The Doctor lies on the ground, as still as if he were dead.

OPENING CREDITS

INT. TYLER'S FLAT, BEDROOM

The Doctor is tucked up in bed, wearing a pair of stripy pyjamas. Rose is sitting on the edge of the bed looking at him when Jackie enters the room, holding a stethoscope.

JACKIE (handing the stethoscope to Rose and sitting on the bed): Here we go. Tina the Cleaner's got this lodger, medical student. And she was fast asleep, so I just took it.

Rose starts to put the stethoscope in her ears.

JACKIE (CONT'D): Though, I still say we should take him to hospital.

Rose takes the stethoscope out again.

ROSE: We can't. They'd lock him up. They'd dissect him. One bottle of his blood could change the future of the human race.

Jackie opens her mouth to say something.

ROSE (CONT'D): No! Shush!

Jackie stops. Rose puts the stethoscope back in her ears and places it on one side of the Doctor's chest. We hear his steady heartbeat. She then places it on the other side and hears the same.

ROSE (CONT'D): Both working.

JACKIE: What d'you mean "both"?

ROSE: Well, he's got two hearts.

JACKIE (contemptuously): Oh, don't be stupid.

ROSE (getting up, going to the door): He has!

JACKIE: Anything else he's got two of?

ROSE (turning back): Leave him alone.

She leaves the room. Jackie peers at the Doctor before following her. When the room is empty, the Doctor's mouth open and a wisp of the golden Time Vortex escapes from him.

EXT. SPACE

The Time Vortex floats out of a window, up into the sky and out into space. The whispering voices accompanying this sound as though they are saying "You will pay for your chances. These are ours."

INT. TYLER'S FLAT, KITCHEN

In the kitchen Rose opens the fridge and picks up a pork pie.

JACKIE: How can he go changing his face?

Rose shuts the fridge door.

JACKIE (CONT'D): Is that a different face or is he a different person?

ROSE (frustrated): How should I know?! (A pause. Guiltily): Sorry.

Jackie nods.

ROSE (CONT'D): The thing is... I thought I knew him, mum. (Eyes fill with tears, voice trembles). I thought me and him were... and then he goes and does this. (Wipes her tears away with the back of her hand and sniffs). I keep forgetting he's not human.

She takes Jackie's hand and makes an obvious effort to make her voice light-hearted again.

ROSE (CONT'D): The big question is... where'd you get a pair of men's pyjamas from?

JACKIE (walking away): Howard's been staying over.

ROSE: What, Howard from the market? How long's that been going on?

JACKIE: A month or so. First of all, he starts delivering to the door and I thought, "that's a bit odd". Next thing you know, it's a bag of oranges...

Distracted, Rose turns her head towards the direction of the TV.

ROSE: Is that Harriet Jones?!

She leaves the kitchen and goes into the living room.

INT. TYLER'S FLAT, LIVING ROOM

JACKIE: Oh, never mind me...

ROSE (staring at the screen): Why's she on the telly?

JACKIE: She's Prime Minister now. I'm eighteen quid a week better off.

Rose smiles incredulously.

JACKIE (CONT'D): They're calling it "Britain's Golden Age". Keep on saying "my Rose has met her".

ROSE: Did more than that. Stopped World w*r Three with her. Harriet Jones...

MAN (on television screen): Harriet Jones , what about those calling the Guinevere One Space Probe a waste of money?

HARRIET JONES (on television screen): Now, that's where you're wrong. I completely disagree if you don't mind.

Rose laughs.

HARRIET JONES (CONT'D): The Guinevere One Space Probe represents this country's limitless ambition. British workmanship sailing up there among the stars.

LLEWELLYN: This is the spirit of Christmas, birth and rejoicing, and the dawn of a new age, and that is what we're achieving fifteen million miles away.

INT. PRESS CONFERENCE

LLEWELLYN (CONT'D): Our very own miracle.

On the TV, a computerised image of the probe zooming from the Earth.

NEWSREADER: The unmanned probe Guinevere One is about to make its final descent. Photographs of the Martian Landscape should be received by midnight tonight.

EXT. SPACE

The probe crashes into what appears to be a large rock. A door in the ship opens, and the probe is sucked in.

EXT. HIGH STREET

Rose and Mickey are walking down the street together. It is crowded with Christmas shoppers.

MICKEY: So, er, what d'you need? Twenty quid?

ROSE (taking the note he is holding out): Do you mind? I'll pay you back.

MICKEY: Call it a Christmas present.

He laughs.

ROSE: God, I'm all out of synch. You just forget about Christmas and things in the TARDIS. They don't exist. You get sort of... timeless.

MICKEY: Oh, yeah, that's fascinating, 'cos I love hearing stories about the TARDIS. Oh, go on Rose, tell us another one 'cos I, wow, I could listen to it all day. TARDIS this, TARDIS that...

ROSE (smiling): Shut up!

MICKEY: Oh! One time, in a biiiig yellow garden, full of balloons.

ROSE: I'm not like that!

MICKEY: Oh, you so are.

ROSE: Hmm, must drive you mad. I'm surprised you don't give up on me.

MICKEY: Oh, that's the thing, isn't it? You can rely on me. I don't go changing my face.

ROSE: Yeah. What if he's dying?

MICKEY (stopping): Okay...

ROSE: Sorry!

MICKEY (taking her hands): Just let it be Christmas! Could you do that? Just for a bit. You and me, and Christmas. No... no Doctor, no... no bog-monsters... no life or death.

ROSE: Okay.

MICKEY: Promise?

ROSE: Yes!

MICKEY: Right! What're you gonna get for your mum?

They start walking again. Rose looks behind her, distracted as Mickey starts talking again.

MICKEY (CONT'D): I'm round there all the time now, you know. She does my dinner on a Sunday... talks about you all afternoon, yap yap yap yap yap...

Rose isn't really listening. She looks back at the brass band of masked Santas, who are playing "Good Tidings of Comfort and Joy". She gazes at them for a long moment, sensing something is wrong. Suddenly, their trumpets are revealed to be flame throwers - blue flame sh**t out of them, and people run around screaming. The Santas start blasting around, and there is a lot of commotion. Rose and Mickey duck behind a stall.

ROSE: It's us! They're after us!

The Santas blast the stall Rose and Mickey are hiding behind, and Rose screams. They run, the blasting of the Santas pursuing them. One of the blasts catches the enormous Christmas tree instead, and it falls to the ground on top of one of the Santas. Its mask clatters to the ground. Rose and Mickey run down the street.

MICKEY (frantically): What's going on? What've we done? Why are they after us?

A taxi draws up.

ROSE: Taxi!

They clamber in.

INT. TAXI

ROSE (CONT'D): They're after the Doctor.

MICKEY: I can't even go shopping with you. We get att*cked by a brass band.

The taxi drives off. Rose taps a number into her mobile.

MICKEY (CONT'D): Who're you phoning?

ROSE (putting the phone to her ear): My mum.

Jackie, however, is already on the phone. She walks around the flat, yapping about nothing.

JACKIE: She turns up - no warning. I've got nothing in. I said, "Rose, if you want a Christmas dinner of meat paste, then so be it".

She picks up a cup of tea.

INT. TAXI

ROSE (exasperatedly): Mum, get off the phone!

Police sirens in the background.

MICKEY: Who were... those Santa things?

ROSE: I dunno. But think about it, they were after us. What's important about us? Well, nothing. Except the one thing we've got tucked up in bed. The Doctor.

JACKIE (wandering into the Doctor's room with a cup of tea): Oh, no. Don't come round, darling. No, flat's all topsy turvy. (Plonks the tea down at the Doctor's bedside). Yeah, she just barges in and litters the place. Yeah, no, I'll come round and see you on boxing day.

When she has left the room, the vortex escapes through the Doctor's mouth again.

EXT. POWELL ESTATE

The taxi pulls up and Rose and Mickey jump out and start running towards the flats.

They burst into Jackie's flat where Jackie is still on the phone.

JACKIE: So, save us a chipolata...

ROSE: Get off the phone!

JACKIE: It's only Bev! She says hello.

Rose grabs the phone off her mum.

ROSE: Bev? Yeah, look, it'll have to wait.

She hangs it up and looks at Mickey and her mother.

ROSE (CONT'D): Right, it's not safe, we've gotta get out. Where can we go?

MICKEY: My mate Stan, he'll put us up.

ROSE: That's only two streets away. (To Jackie): What about Mo? Where's she living now?

JACKIE: I dunno! Peak District!

ROSE: Oh, we'll go to Cousin Mo's then.

JACKIE: It's Christmas Eve! We're not going anywhere! What're you babbling about?

ROSE: Mum...

She stops as she notices the tree in the corner of the room.

ROSE (CONT'D): Where'd you get that tree?

Jackie turns to look at it. It is not white, but green.

ROSE (CONT'D): That's a new tree. Where'd you get it?

JACKIE: Well, I thought it was you!

ROSE: How can it be me?

JACKIE: Well, you went shopping, there was a ring at the door, and there it was!

ROSE: No, that wasn't me.

JACKIE: Then who was it...?

They all stare at the tree. Rose pulls her mother behind her. The tree lights up.

ROSE: Oh, you've gotta be kidding me.

The tree starts to spin, slowly at first and then very fast. Jackie screams. "Jingle Bells" plays, sped up. It reduces the coffee table firewood within seconds.

MICKEY: Go, go, go! Get out!

Rose and Jackie run from the room while Mickey picks up a chair and holds it in front of him. Jackie runs to the front door but Rose runs to the Doctor's bedroom.

ROSE: We've got to save the Doctor!

JACKIE: What're you doing?!

ROSE: We can't just leave him!

JACKIE: Mickey!

The Christmas tree chops up the legs of the chair.

JACKIE (CONT'D): Leave it! Get out! Get out!

Mickey stands his ground.

JACKIE (CONT'D): Mickey! Get out of there!

He gives up and joins Jackie.

Mickey runs into the Doctor's room.

JACKIE: Just leave him!

MICKEY: Get in here!

Frustrated, Jackie slams the door shut. The Christmas tree smashes through a pane of glass. Mickey and Jackie slide a wardrobe in front of the door while Rose bends over the Doctor.

ROSE: Doctor, wake up!

The tree spins towards the room. Mickey and Jackie lean against the wardrobe and Rose takes the sonic screwdriver out of the Doctor's leather jacket. The wardrobe starts to shake as the Christmas tree tries to get through. Jackie shouts out. Rose places the sonic screwdriver in the Doctor's hand, but he remains lifeless. The Christmas tree finally smashes through the wardrobe, and Mickey and Jackie are thrown backwards. Jackie cowers against the wall.

JACKIE (voice rising squeakily): I'm gonna get k*lled by a Christmas tree!

Rose, desperate, leans right down close to the Doctor's ear.

ROSE: Help me.

Rose draws back slightly. The Doctor sits up very suddenly and points his sonic screwdriver at the tree. It explodes. The Doctor lowers the sonic screwdriver.

THE DOCTOR: Remote control. But who's controlling it?

He gets out of bed.

EXT. TYLER'S FLAT, BALCONY

The Doctor goes out onto the balcony, securing a dressing gown around him. Rose, Jackie and Mickey follow him. Outside on the ground stand three of the Santas.

MICKEY: That's them. What are they?

ROSE: Shush!

She looks at the Doctor, who raises his sonic screwdriver and points it at the Santas threatening. They back away, standing closer to each other. Then, they teleport themselves away.

MICKEY: They've just gone! What kind of rubbish were they? I mean, no offence, but they're not much cop if a sonic screwdriver's gonna scare them off.

THE DOCTOR: Pilot Fish.

ROSE: What?

They all look at him.

THE DOCTOR: They were just Pilot Fish.

He coughs and throws himself backwards against the wall, clearly in pain. They all hurriedly kneel down to him.

ROSE: What's wrong?!

THE DOCTOR (panting): You woke me up too soon. (Breathes heavily). I'm still regenerating. I'm bursting with energy.

More of the vortex escapes through his mouth.

THE DOCTOR (CONT'D): You see? The Pilot Fish could smell it. A million miles away. So they eliminate the defence, that's you lot, and they carry me off. They could run their batteries on me for a couple of year.

He lurches forward, groaning.

JACKIE: Oh! Oh! Oh!

THE DOCTOR (through gritted teeth): My head!

Jackie kneels before him, holding him up.

THE DOCTOR (CONT'D): I'm having a neuron implosion. I need...

JACKIE (frantically): What do you need?

THE DOCTOR: I need...

JACKIE: Say it, tell me, tell me...

JACKIE: Painkillers?

JACKIE: Do you need aspirin?

THE DOCTOR: I...

JACKIE: Codeine? Paracetamol? Oh, I dunno, Pepto-Bismol?

JACKIE: Liquid paraffin. Vitamin C? Vitamin D? Vitamin E?

JACKIE (voice rising hysterically): Is it food? Something simple? Uh... a bowl of soup? A nice bowl of soup? Soup and a sandwich? Soup and a little ham sandwich?

THE DOCTOR: I need you to shut up.

JACKIE: Oh, he hasn't changed that much, has he?

The Doctor lurches forward again, and leans against the opposite wall, Jackie making "oo" sounds of sympathy.

THE DOCTOR (panting): We haven't got much time. If there's Pilot Fish, then... (Takes an apple out of his dressing gown pocket). Why's there an apple in my dressing gown?

JACKIE: Oh, that's Howard, sorry.

THE DOCTOR: He keeps apples in his dressing gown?

JACKIE: He gets hungry.

THE DOCTOR (looking at the apple confusedly): What, he gets hungry in his sleep?

JACKIE: Sometimes.

The Doctor suddenly shouts with pain again and sinks to the floor. He grimaces.

THE DOCTOR: Brain... collapsing...

He grabs hold of Rose's upper arms, holding them tightly. Speech is a huge effort.

THE DOCTOR (CONT'D): P... the Pilot Fish. The Pilot Fish mean... that something, something... (Deep breaths). Something's coming.

He collapses into Rose's lap.

Rose kneels next to the Doctor on his bed, tucking him in and mopping his forehead with a flannel. He is restless and sweaty. Mickey passes the room holding a laptop. He looks at them both. Rose looks back. He nods, then goes on his way.

Mickey sets up his laptop.

MICKEY: Jackie, I'm using the phone line. Is that all right?

JACKIE (holding two cups of tea): Yeah. Keep a count of it. (Plonks a cup of tea down next to Mickey). It's midnight. Christmas day.

Rose comes in and sits on the arm of a chair. Jackie gives her the other cup of tea.

JACKIE (CONT'D): Any change?

ROSE: He's worse. Just one heart b*ating.

Jackie sighs and sits in the chair.

REPORTER (on television): Scientists in charge of Britain's mission to Mars have re-established contact with the Guinevere One space probe. They're expecting the first transmission from the planet's surface in the next few minutes.

LLEWELLYN (live at a press conference): Yes, we are. We're, we're back on schedule. We've received the signal from Guinevere One. The Mars landing would seem to be an unqualified success.

MAN: But is it true that you completely lost contact earlier tonight?

LLEWELLYN: Yes, we had a bit of a scare. Guinevere seemed to fall off the scope, but it... it was just a blip. Only disappeared for a few seconds. She's fine now, absolutely fine. We... we're getting the first pictures transmitted live any minute now. I'd better get back to it, thanks.

He leaves the conference.

MICKEY (staring at the laptop): Here we go, Pilot Fish.

Rose gets up to look.

MICKEY (CONT'D): Scavengers, like the Doctor said. Harmless, they're tiny, but the point is, the little fish swim alongside the big fish.

ROSE: Do you mean like sharks?

MICKEY: Great big sharks. So, what the Doctor means is, we had them.... now we get that.

The animation of a shark on the screen snaps viciously.

ROSE: Something is coming...

The TV goes slightly static.

ROSE (CONT'D): How close?

MICKEY: There's no way of telling, but the Pilot Fish don't swim far from their daddy.

There is a distorted image on the television screen.

ROSE: So, it's close?

JACKIE (referring to the image on the TV): Funny sort of rocks.

ROSE (looking at the screen): That's not rocks...

The image becomes clearer. Rose edges towards the TV, squinting at it.

REPORTER ON TELEVISION: ... coming live from the depths of space on Christmas morning.

The image is thrown into clarity. It is revealed to be an alien, which roars viciously at them. Jackie, Mickey and Rose gasp and jump backwards.

BBC NEWS READER (on television): The face of an alien life form was transmitted live tonight on BBC1.

AMERICAN NEWS READER (on television): On the 25th of December, the human race has been shown absolute proof that alien life exists.

NEWS READER (on television): These remarkable images have been relayed right across the world.

EXT. TOWER OF LONDON

Three cars drive through the gates of the Tower of London and draw up outside. The driver gets out of one and opens the back door for Llewellyn. Major Blake comes out of the building and indicates to him.

BLAKE: This way, sir.

Llewellyn walks in the direction he indicates.

INT. UNIT BASE

The doors to UNIT open, and Llewellyn enters, flanked by two others. The room is extremely busy.

BLAKE: Mr Llewellyn.

Llewellyn approaches Harriet Jones.

LLEWELLYN: Mr Llewellyn, ma'am.

HARRIET JONES (holding up ID card): Harriet Jones. Prime Minister.

LLEWELLYN: Oh, well, yes. I know who you are. I suppose I've ruined your Christmas.

HARRIET JONES: Never off duty. Now, we've put out a cover story. Alex has been handling it.

ALEX: We've said it was a hoax. Some sort of mask or prosthetics.

Llewellyn nods.

ALEX (CONT'D): Students hi-jacking the signal, that sort of thing.

HARRIET JONES: Alex is my right-hand man. I'm not used to having a right-hand man. I quite like it, though.

ALEX: Quite like it myself.

They grin at each other.

LLEWELLYN: I... I don't suppose there's any chance it was a hoax?

HARRIET JONES: That would be nice. Then we could all go home. I don't suppose anyone's offered you a coffee...?

LLEWELLYN: No.

HARRIET JONES (pouring coffee): But, no, the transmission was genuine. And this seems to be a new species of alien. (Hands him the coffee). At least, not one we've encountered before.

LLEWELLYN: You seem to be talking about aliens as a matter of fact.

HARRIET JONES: There's an act of parliament banning my autobiography.

BLAKE (joining them): Prime Minister?

HARRIET JONES: I'm with you.

She follows him into the busy room.

BLAKE: Miss Jacobs can explain.

A blonde woman at a computer stands up to meet them.

HARRIET JONES: I don't think we've been introduced. Harriet Jones, Prime Minister.

JACOBS: Yes, I, I know who you are. The transmission didn't come from the surface of Mars. Guinevere One was broadcasting from a point 5 thousand miles above the planet.

BLAKE: In other words, they've got a ship and the probe is on board.

LLEWELLYN: But if they're not from the surface, then... they might not be from Mars itself. Maybe they're not actual Martians.

BLAKE: Of course not, Martians look completely different.

Llewellyn looks rather shocked.

BLAKE (CONT'D): We think the ship was in flight when they just came across the probe.

JACOBS: And they're moving. The ship's still in flight now. We've got it on the Hubble array.

She turns back to the computer.

HARRIET JONES: Moving in which direction?

JACOBS: Towards us.

HARRIET JONES: How fast?

JACOBS: Very fast.

Harriet Jones stares at the diagram showing the position of the ship in comparison to the Earth which Jacobs has made come on the large screen on the wall.

HARRIET JONES: What was your name, again?

JACOBS: Sally.

HARRIET JONES: Thank you, Sally.

She stares avidly at the screen.

Rose is sitting on the sofa.

MICKEY: Rose.

Rose rushes over to him where he sits in front of his laptop, and perches on the edge of his chair.

MICKEY (CONT'D): Take a look, I've got access to the m*llitary. They're tracking a spaceship. It's big, it's fast, and it's coming this way.

He has the same image on his screen as the one on the screen in UNIT.

ROSE: Coming for what, though? The Doctor?

MICKEY: I don't know. Maybe it's coming for all of us.

An image of four of the Sycorax comes onto the screen. They begin to speak in an alien language.

MICKEY (CONT'D): Have you seen them before?

ROSE (shaking her head): No.

INT. UNIT BASE

The Sycorax continue to speak. The people in UNIT gaze up at the screen.

BLAKE: Translation software.

ALEX: Yes, sir.

The Sycorax speak more passionately.

ROSE: I don't understand what they're saying. The TARDIS translates alien languages inside my head, all the time, wherever I am.

MICKEY: So, why isn't it doing it now?

ROSE (quietly, lost and upset): I don't know. Must be the Doctor. Like he's part of the circuit, and he's... he's broken.

Mickey looks at her.

The Doctor breathes heavily in his sleep.

INT. UNIT BASE

Harriet Jones goes up to Major Blake.

BLAKE: I'm getting demands from Washington, ma'am. The President's insisting that he take control of the situation.

HARRIET JONES: You can tell the President, and please use these exact words, he's not my boss, and he's certainly not turning this into a w*r.

Harriet leaves Blake, and joins Alex, who is using a laptop.

HARRIET JONES (CONT'D): What've we got?

ALEX: Nothing yet. Translating an alien language is going to take time.

BLAKE (joining them): How far off is the ship?

ALEX: About 5 hours.

Harriet Jones looks up at the screen, showing the ship coming towards the Earth.

AMERICAN NEWS READER (on television): Despite claims of an alien hoax, it's been reported that NATO forces are on red alert.

Jackie sits beside the restless Doctor.

JACKIE (gently): Oh, come on, sweetheart. What do you need? What is it you need, tell me...

NEWSREADER (on television): Speaking strictly off the record, government sources are calling this our longest night.

INT. UNIT BASE

Blake sits in a chair, deep in thought. Harriet Jones goes up to him, and he stands up.

HARRIET JONES: I don't suppose we've had a Code 9? No sign of the Doctor?

BLAKE: Nothing yet.

Harriet Jones closes her eyes, disappointed.

BLAKE (CONT'D): You've met him, haven't you?

Harriet nods.

BLAKE (CONT'D): More like the stuff of legend.

HARRIET JONES: He is that. Failing him... (Looks him directly in the eyes). What about Torchwood?

BLAKE (surprised): I...

HARRIET JONES: I know I'm not supposed to know about it, I realise that. Not even the United Nations knows. But if ever there was a need for Torchwood, it's now.

BLAKE: I can't take responsibility.

HARRIET JONES: I can. See to it. Get them ready.

Blake nods and leaves her. Alex approaches her, holding the laptop.

ALEX: Prime Minister...

HARRIET JONES: Has it worked?

ALEX: Just about.

He places the laptop down on a desk and shows her. Llewellyn and Jacobs also come to watch.

ALEX (CONT'D): "People..." that could be "cattle"... "you belong to us. To the Sycorax"... they seem to be called "Sycorax", not Martians. "We own you. We now possess your land, your minerals, your precious stones. You will surrender or they will die. Sycorax strong, Sycorax mighty, Sycorax rock", as in the modern sense, they rock.

LLEWELLYN: "They will die"? Not "you will die", "they will die"? Who's they?

ALEX: I don't know, but it is the right personal pronoun, it's they.

HARRIET JONES: Send them our reply. Tell them... "This is a day of peace on planet Earth." Tell them... "we extend that peace to the Sycorax".

Alex nods, taking notes.

HARRIET JONES (CONT'D): And then tell them... "this planet is armed and we do not surrender".

Jacobs nods. The three of them leave her.

JACOBS: Come on.

The screen shows the ship coming ever-closer to the Earth.

Jackie has fallen asleep beside the Doctor, her head on a pillow she has put next to him. Rose watches the pair of them, leaning against the doorframe. Mickey comes and stands next to her. She glances at him and then back at the Doctor.

ROSE (voice shaking slightly): The Doctor wouldn't do this. The old Doctor. The proper Doctor. He'd wake up. He'd save us.

MICKEY: You really love him, don't you?

Rose closes her eyes and sighs, putting her arms around Mickey.

INT. UNIT BASE

The sun rises. UNIT is still working hard.

JACOBS: They got the message. Here comes the response.

They look up at the screen, onto which an image of the Sycorax is being transmitted. The leader holds out his hand, around which appears a blue light.

HARRIET JONES: What was that? Was that a reply?

ALEX: I don't know. Looked like some sort of energy, or... static?

LLEWELLYN: Almost like someone casting a spell.

The blue light surrounds Jacobs's head - and some of the others, but they don't notice.

LLEWELLYN (CONT'D): Maybe it's a different form of language, some sort of ideogram or pictogram.

The members of UNIT affected by the blue light all turn on their heel and begin to march from the room as though hypnotised.

LLEWELLYN (CONT'D): What the hell? It's the light! It's the same light! Sally? What're you doing? Sally?

He tries to grab her, but she pays him no heed.

HARRIET JONES: Oh, leave her! You'll hurt her!

Security guards raise their g*ns - prepare to fire.

BLAKE (sternly): Let them pass!

LLEWELLYN: Where are they going?

EXT. TYLER'S FLAT, BALCONY

On the balcony of the flats, a woman pursues a man who is under the same influence.

SANDRA: What is wrong with you? Jason? Jason?

Rose and Mickey pop their heads out the door of Jackie's flat.

ROSE: Sandra?

SANDRA: He won't listen! He's just walking, he won't stop walking! (Stares after him). There's this sort of... light, thing. Jason? Stop it!

Rose takes a few cautious steps forward, followed by Mickey.

SANDRA (CONT'D): Right now!

Rose and Mickey look over the balcony. On the ground below, there are dozens of people hypnotised by the same blue light.

INT. UNIT BASE

Harriet Jones and the others at UNIT go with the flow of the hypnotised people, watching them.

HARRIET JONES: They're all heading in the same direction.

LLEWELLYN: It's only certain people. Why isn't it affecting us?

ALEX: Prime Minister? It's happening all over the country.

EXT. STREET

Crowds of people head down a normal looking street.

WOMAN: Anna, come on, now stop this. It's not funny anymore. Come on, Anna. Come back inside the house. Katherine... Katherine, now listen to me... you come back inside now.

She tries to stop her hypnotised children, who just keep on walking.

WOMAN (CONT'D): And you, Jonathan, you come back in with mummy. Jonathan, come on back in with mummy! You're scaring me now! Come on!

She sounds close to tears. She turns to another hypnotised man, presumably her husband.

WOMAN (CONT'D): Alan, help me out here! Please!

All around them are frantic unaffected people trying to talk to and stop the affected.

POLICEMAN (into his walkie-talkie): As far as I can tell, they're heading for any sort of high-rise building. Anything with stairs... anything with steps...

The hypnotised people walk up the stairs going up the side of a building.
INT. UNIT BASE

Llewellyn addresses Blake. They are both standing on a flight of stairs amongst the hypnotised people.

LLEWELLYN: They've gone all the way up. They've gone into the roof.

EXT. STREET

Crowds of hypnotised people make their way up a flight of steps.

POLICEMAN: Just making my way to the front of the building now. There's hundreds of them. (Looks up). Oh, God. They've gone right to the edge. They're gonna jump. They're all gonna jump!

EXT. ROOFTOP

Llewellyn hurries after Sally Jacobs, who is on the roof.

LLEWELLYN: Sally, stop it.

He walks backwards in front of her, trying to stop her.

LLEWELLYN (CONT'D): It's Danny Llewellyn. Daniel Llewellyn. Sally, just concentrate. Listen to me, you're being controlled. We need you!

Jacobs walks right on, unable to hear or respond to him.

LLEWELLYN (CONT'D): Stop it, Sally!

EXT. POWELL ESTATE, ROOFTOP

The hypnotised people position themselves on the very edge of the roofs of the high-rise buildings. Loved ones are trying to hold them back, trying to make them listen.

SANDRA: Jason, I'm talking to you! Just stop!

Rose and Mickey come to the edge of the roof too, looking around. When the hypnotised people reach the edge, they just stand and wait, as though waiting for a signal.

INT. UNIT BASE

ALEX: It's not just the whole country. It's the whole world.

As he says, there are sh*ts of people positioned along the edge of the roofs of high-rise buildings in France, Rome, all over the world.

EXT. STREET

POLICEMAN (talking into his walkie-talkie): They've stopped. They've all stopped. They're just... standing there. Right on the edge.

INT. UNIT BASE

ALEX (at his laptop with Harriet Jones): According to reports, it's like a third. One third of the world's population. That's two billion people ready to jump.

EXT. ROOFTOP

LLEWELLYN (to Blake): "Surrender or they will die..."

EXT. POWELL ESTATE, ROOFTOP

MICKEY: What do we do?

ROSE: Nothing. There's no-one to save us. Not anymore.

INT. UNIT BASE

Llewellyn and Blake come back to the UNIT base.

ALEX: Wait a minute... there is a pattern. All these people tend to be father and son, mother and daughter. Brothers and sisters... family groups, but not husbands and wives.

LLEWELLYN (staring at his computer screen): Oh, my God.

Alex and Harriet Jones look over at him.

LLEWELLYN (CONT'D): It's Guinevere One. Have you got medical records on file for all your staff?

ALEX: Course we have, yes.

Llewellyn moves aside so Alex can see the screen. Harriet Jones and Blake move to one side.

HARRIET JONES: What about Torchwood?

BLAKE: Still working on it. Bear in mind, they have just lost a third of their staff.

HARRIET JONES: But do they have what we need?

BLAKE: Yes, ma'am.

HARRIET JONES: Well, tell them to hurry up.

LLEWELLYN (accessing the medical records): Here it is. Sally Jacobs... blood group A Positive. Who else walked out?

ALEX (thinking): Luke Parsons.

LLEWELLYN (tapping the name in): Luke Parsons... A Positive.

ALEX: Jeffery Baxter.

LLEWELLYN (looking him up): Baxter... A Positive. That's it. They're all A Positive.

BLAKE: How many people in the world are A Positive?

LLEWELLYN: No idea. But I bet it's one third.

BLAKE: What's so special about that blood group?

LLEWELLYN: Nothing, but... it's my fault. Guinevere One... it's got one of those plaques identifying the human race. Er... a message to the stars. I mean, you don't expect anything to come of it, but... I put on maps and music and samples. There's wheat seeds, and water, and... and blood. A Positive. The Sycorax have got a vial of A Positive. And well, I don't know how, but... through that...

HARRIET JONES: They control the blood.

LLEWELLYN: Oh, my God.

HARRIET JONES: There's only one more thing I can try. Major, with me.

Major Blake follows Harriet Jones from the room.

INT. PRIME MINISTER'S OFFICE

Harriet Jones sits at a desk, broadcasting a speech on national television.

HARRIET JONES: Ladies and gentlemen... if I may take a moment during this terrible time. It's hardly the Queen's speech, I'm afraid that's been cancelled. (Turns her head to the side, addressing someone off-camera): Did we ask about the royal family? (Waits for reply). Oh. They're on the roof. But, Ladies and gentlemen, this crisis is unique, and I'm afraid to say, it might get much worse.

Jackie, Rose and Mickey stand watching her on the television.

HARRIET JONES (on television): I would ask you all to remain calm. But I have one request: Doctor. If you're out there... we need you.

Jackie turns to look at Mickey and Rose. Rose does not look back at her, but looks as though she is fighting back tears.

HARRIET JONES (CONT'D): I don't know what to do. But if you can hear me, Doctor...

Rose turns away.

HARRIET JONES (CONT'D): If anyone knows the Doctor, if anyone can find him... the situation has never been more desperate.

Rose walks to the Doctor's room, silent tears running down her cheeks.

HARRIET JONES (CONT'D): Help us. Please, Doctor. Help us.

Rose leans against the doorframe, watching the Doctor's lifeless from. She is now sobbing, taking great gulping breaths, the tears flooding down her cheeks. Jackie comes to her, and takes her arm. Rose turns to her and puts her arms on Jackie's shoulders, her eyes screwed up against the tears.

ROSE (choked with tears): He's gone. The Doctor's gone. He's left me, mum. He's left me, mum...

Rose sobs even harder. Jackie places a kiss on her forehead and embraces her. Rose cries onto her shoulder.

JACKIE (gently, soothingly): It's all right... I'm sorry...

At that moment, the windows smash, showering the floor with glass. The ground shakes violently.

INT. UNIT BASE

An alarm goes off.

LLEWELLYN: Sonic wave! It's the spaceship, it's hit the atmosphere!

EXT. POWELL ESTATE

Mickey walks outside the flats, treading on the broken glass, and looks up at the sky. Everywhere else, people do the same. Rose and Jackie join Mickey, staring upwards. As they watch a huge spaceship floats into view, obscuring the sun. People everywhere gaze up at it, open-mouthed. It hovers right over central London. Rose stares up at it for a few more seconds, then runs back into the flat.

Rose runs into the Doctor's bedroom.

ROSE: Mickey, we're gonna carry him. (Throws the duvet off the Doctor). Mum, get your stuff, and get some food. We're going.

MICKEY: Well, where to?

ROSE: The TARDIS. It's the only safe place on Earth.

JACKIE: What're we gonna do in there?!

ROSE: Hide.

JACKIE: Is that it?!

ROSE: Mum, look in the sky. There's a great, big, alien invasion and, I don't know what to do, alright? I've travelled with him, and I've seen all that stuff but when I'm stuck at home, I'm useless. Now, all we can do is run and hide, and I'm sorry. Now, move.

Jackie leaves the room. Rose heaves the Doctor up, taking his shoulders. Mickey takes his legs.

ROSE (CONT'D): Oh, lift him.

INT. UNIT BASE

Harriet Jones hurries forward.

LLEWELLYN: They're transmitting. Onscreen.

The Sycorax on the screen speak in an alien language.

ALEX (translating): "Will the leader of this world stand forward."

Harriet Jones steps forward.

HARRIET JONES: I'm proud to represent this planet.

ALEX: "Come aboard..."

HARRIET JONES: Well, how do I do that?

Harriet Jones, Blake, Llewellyn and Alex are all bathed in a blue light.

LLEWELLYN: Wh... what's happening?

HARRIET JONES: I would imagine it's called a teleport.

The four of them are teleported from UNIT...

INT. SYCORAX SHIP

And into the Sycorax's spaceship. They find themselves facing thousands of Sycorax. One of them, the leader, steps forward. The four humans do the same. The Sycorax Leader raises his hand to his head to take his helmet off.

LLEWELLYN: It's a helmet. They might be like us!

The Sycorax Leader takes his helmet off, and the face underneath appears to have the bone and muscle on the outside.

LLEWELLYN (CONT'D): ... or not.

The Sycorax says something in Sycoraxic.

EXT. POWELL ESTATE

Rose and Mickey carry the Doctor out of the front door. Jackie follows them, struggling with several shopping bags. She drops one and tries to pick it up again.

ROSE: Mum, will you just leave that stuff and give us a hand?

JACKIE: It's food! You said we need f...

ROSE: Just leave it!

INT. SYCORAX SHIP

The Sycorax Leader talks to the humans, whilst Alex translates.

ALEX (reading off the translation software): "You will surrender, or I will release the final curse. And your people will jump".

LLEWELLYN (pushing his way to the front): If I can speak.

BLAKE (grabbing his arm): Mr Llwellyn, you're a civilian!

LLEWELLYN: No! I sent out the probe. I started it. I made contact with these people, this whole thing's my responsibility.

He pulls his arm out of Blake's grasp and steps forward. He addresses the Sycorax Leader, who is coming slowly down the stairs on which he stood.

LLEWELLYN (CONT'D): With respect... sir. The human race is taking its first step towards the stars, but... we are like children compared to you.

The Sycorax leader looks unimpressed.

LLEWELLYN (CONT'D): Children who need help. Children who need compassion. I beg of you now... show that compassion.

The Sycorax Leader raises a whip and lashes it at Llewellyn. It fastens around his neck, and he shouts with pain and he glows blue, next he falls the ground, as nothing more than a pile of bones.

BLAKE (stepping forward furiously): That man was your prisoner! Even your species must have articles of w*r, forbidding...

The Sycorax leader exercises his whip on Blake too, silencing him. His skeleton smoulders on the ground. Alex makes to step forward, but Harriet Jones stops him. She steps forward herself, and holds up her ID card.

HARRIET JONES: Harriet Jones. Prime Minister.

The Sycorax Leader replies curtly.

ALEX (translating): "Yes. We know who you are. Surrender or they will die".

The Sycorax Leader turns his back on them, taking his position next to a large red button.

HARRIET JONES: If I do surrender... how would that be better?

The Sycorax Leader positions his hand above the red button.

ALEX: "Half is sold into sl*very or one third dies".

The Sycorax Leader speaks again.

ALEX (CONT'D): "Your choice".

Harriet Jones closes her eyes and opens them again. The Sycorax Leader hisses at her.

EXT. POWELL ESTATE

Rose and Mickey carry the Doctor towards the TARDIS, Jackie following them, still carrying the shopping bags. She drops one. They carry him through the doors, starting to pant slightly with the effort. Jackie hurriedly follows them. She pauses for a moment, looking around before coming in completely.

INT. TARDIS

MICKEY: No chance you could fly this thing?

ROSE: Not anymore, no.

MICKEY: Well, you did it before...

ROSE: I know, but it's sort of been... wiped out of my head, like it's forbidden.

They place the Doctor down on the floor.

ROSE (CONT'D): Try that again and I think the universe rips in half.

MICKEY: Ah, better not, then.

ROSE: Maybe not.

MICKEY: So, what do we do? Just sit here?

ROSE (clearly frustrated): That's as good as it gets.

JACKIE (with a thermal flask): Right, here we go. Nice cup of tea.

ROSE: Hmm, the solution to everything...

JACKIE: Now, stop your moaning. I'll get the rest of the food.

She leaves the TARDIS. Rose leans against the console and looks down at the Doctor.

MICKEY: Tea. Like we're having a picnic while the world comes to an end. Very British.

Rose does not answer. Mickey looks at the TARDIS computer screen.

MICKEY (CONT'D): How does this thing work? It picks up TV, maybe we could see what's going on out there. Maybe we've surrendered. (Presses a few button). What do you do to it?

ROSE: (still snappy): I dunno, it sort of tunes itself.

She presses a few buttons.

INT. SYCORAX SHIP

On the Sycorax spaceship, the Leader turns as if responding to the blips of the TARDIS computer. He speaks angrily.

ALEX (translating): The noise, the bleeping, they say it's machinery. Foreign machinery. They're accusing us of hiding it. Conspiring. Bring it on board.

EXT. POWELL ESTATE

Jackie comes out of the doors of the flats holding two more shopping bags. She begins to walk towards the TARDIS when it is teleported away.

JACKIE: Rose?

The TARDIS disappears.

JACKIE (CONT'D): Rose!

Jackie stares up at the spaceship hovering in the sky, scared.

INT. TARDIS

Mickey and Rose are listening to the bleeping sound the TARDIS computer is making.

MICKEY: Maybe it's a distress signal.

ROSE: Fat lot of good that's gonna do.

MICKEY: Are you gonna be a misery all the time?

ROSE: Yes.

MICKEY: You should look at it from my point of view, stuck in here with your mum's cooking.

ROSE (looking around): Where is she?

Mickey shrugs and Rose jumps to her feet.

ROSE (CONT'D): I'd better go and give her a hand. It might start raining missiles out there.

MICKEY: Tell her anything from a tin, that's fine.

ROSE: Why don't you tell her yourself?

MICKEY: I'm not that brave.

ROSE (pausing with her hand on the door handle): Oh, I don't know...

She smiles at him and opens the door. Mickey smiles back.

INT. SYCORAX SHIP

As soon as she steps foot outside the door, she is grabbed by a Sycorax. She screams.

INT. TARDIS

Mickey looks around.

MICKEY: Rose?

He makes to follow her, dropping the thermal flask of tea on the grilling next to the Doctor's head. It starts to leak.

INT. SYCORAX SHIP

ROSE: Get off! Get off me!

Mickey runs out of the TARDIS doors, staring around at their surroundings with amazement.

ROSE (CONT'D): The door! Close the door!

Mickey dashes to the door and slams it shut before he is grabbed by a Sycorax. Rose and Mickey both shout out.

INT. TARDIS

The Doctor is left alone inside the TARDIS, still lifeless on the floor. The tea drips from the flask and through the grilling. It drips onto the machinery below the console, causing it to steam.

INT. SYCORAX SHIP

The Sycorax Leader yells with glee, and the onlookers cheer. Harriet Jones stumbles towards Rose.

HARRIET JONES: Rose.

They embrace each other, both terrified.

HARRIET JONES (CONT'D): Rose! I've got you. My Lord. My precious thing. The Doctor... is he with you?

ROSE (voice shaking): No. We're all on our own.

INT. TARDIS

Inside the TARDIS, the smoke caused by the dripping tea rises from beneath the grilling and surrounds the Doctor's head, making its way into his airways. He takes a deep breath in his sleep, opens his mouth and more of the vortex escapes.

INT. SYCORAX SHIP

The Sycorax Leader points at Rose and addresses her angrily.

ALEX (translating): "The yellow girl. She has the clever blue box. Therefore, she speaks for your planet".

HARRIET JONES: But she can't.

ROSE (quietly, not taking her eyes off the Sycorax leader): Yeah, I can.

MICKEY: Don't you dare.

ROSE: Someone's gotta be the Doctor.

HARRIET JONES (grabbing her): They'll k*ll you.

ROSE (shaking her off): Never stopped him.

Rose takes a few steps towards the Sycorax Leader. The surrounding Sycorax all mutter excitedly. Rose starts to speak nervously, unsure of herself.

ROSE (CONT'D): I, um... I address the Sycorax according to... article fifteen of the Shadow Proclamation. I command you to leave this world with all the authority of the Slitheen Parliament of Raxacoricofallapatorius, and um... the Gelth Confederacy...

The Sycorax Leader begins to stride towards her.

ROSE (CONT'D): A... as uh... sanctioned... by the Mighty Jagrafess... and... Oh, the Daleks! Now, leave this planet in peace! In peace...

There is a few seconds of stunned silence, and then all the Sycorax burst out laughing. The Sycorax Leader begins to speak again.

ALEX (translating): "You are very, very funny".

The Sycorax Leader speaks more angrily.

ALEX (CONT'D) (translating): "And now you're going to die".

HARRIET JONES (lurching forward): Leave her alone!

MICKEY (also lurching forward): Don't touch her!

HARRIET JONES: Leave her alone.

They are both restrained by the Sycorax. The Sycorax Leader continues to speak to Rose, circling her.

ALEX (translating): "Did you think you were clever with your stolen words?".

The Sycorax Leader raises his arms into the air, speaking passionately.

ALEX (CONT'D): "We are the Sycorax. We astride the darkness".

The Sycorax Leader hisses at Rose, who whimpers.

ALEX (CONT'D): "Next to us you are but a wailing child. If you are the best your planet can offer as a champion..."

SYCORAX LEADER: Then your world will be gutted...

ALEX: "... then your world will be gutted..."

Rose stares.

SYCORAX LEADER: ... and your people enslaved.

ALEX: "... and your people enslaved". (Looking up). Hold on, that's English.

HARRIET JONES: He's talking English.

ROSE: You're talking English.

SYCORAX LEADER: I would never dirty my tongue with your primitive bile!

ROSE (pointing at him): That's English.

She turns to Harriet Jones, Mickey and Alex.

ROSE (CONT'D): Can you hear English?

They all nod.

MICKEY: Yeah, that's English.

ALEX: Definitely English.

SYCORAX LEADER (angrily): I speak only Sycoraxic!

ROSE (to herself): If I can hear English... then it's being translated. Which means it's working. Which means...

She turns slowly around to look at the TARDIS. Mickey and Harriet Jones follow suit. The doors open and there, standing smiling in his stripy pyjamas and dressing gown, is the Doctor.

THE DOCTOR: Did you miss me?

Rose smiles in delight. The Sycorax Leader roars in fury and lashes his whip at the Doctor, who simply catches the end and pulls it away from him. He discards it.

THE DOCTOR (CONT'D): You could have someone's eye out with that!

The Sycorax Leader roars again and tries to att*ck the Doctor with his staff, but the Doctor snatches it off him and snaps it over his knee. He chucks the broken pieces on the floor.

THE DOCTOR (CONT'D): You just can't get the staff. Now, you, just wait. I'm busy.

The Sycorax Leader stares at him incredulously. The Doctor points at him warningly, then goes over to Mickey.

THE DOCTOR (CONT'D): Mickey! Hello! (Turns to Harriet). And Harriet Jones MP for Flydale North! Blimey, it's like 'This Is Your Life'! (To Rose, beaming): Tea! That's all I needed! A good cup of tea! Superheated infusion of free radicals and tannin. Just the thing for healing the synapses... (Seriously, lowering his tone). Now... first thing's first... be honest. How do I look?

ROSE: Um... different.

THE DOCTOR: Good different or bad different?

ROSE: Just... different.

THE DOCTOR (deadly serious): Am I... ginger?

ROSE (raising her eyes to his hair): No, you're just sort of brown.

THE DOCTOR (turning away, put out): Aww, I wanted to be ginger. I've never been ginger. (Turns back, pointing at her violently). And you, Rose Tyler, fat lot of good you were, you gave up on me, oh, that's rude. That's the sort of man I am now, am I? Rude. (Ponders this). Rude and not ginger.

HARRIET JONES: I'm sorry, who is this?

THE DOCTOR: I'm the Doctor.

ROSE: He's the Doctor.

HARRIET JONES: But what happened to my Doctor? Or is it a title that's just passed on?

THE DOCTOR (walking towards her): I'm him. I'm literally him. Same man, new face, well, new everything.

HARRIET JONES (brow furrowed): But you can't be.

THE DOCTOR: Harriet Jones. We were trapped in Downing Street, and the one thing that scared you wasn't the aliens... wasn't the w*r... it was the thought of your mother being on her own.

HARRIET JONES: Oh, my God.

THE DOCTOR (bending down slightly): Did you win the election?

HARRIET JONES (smiling, rather pleased): Landslide majority.

SYCORAX LEADER: If I might interrupt!

They all spin around, having seemed to have forgotten him.

THE DOCTOR: Yes! Sorry! Hello, big fella!

SYCORAX LEADER: Who exactly are you?

THE DOCTOR (fixed grin): Well. That's the question.

SYCORAX LEADER: I demand to know who you are!

THE DOCTOR (imitating the Sycorax's rough voice): I DON'T KNOW! (Relaxes). See, there's the thing. I'm the Doctor, but beyond that, I... I just don't know. I literally do not know who I am. It's all untested. (Walks around, addressing everyone). Am I funny? Am I sarcastic? (Looks at Rose). Sexy? (Winks cheekily, she smiles shyly). Right old misery? Life and soul? Right-handed? Left-handed? A gambler? A fighter? A coward? A traitor? A liar? A nervous wreck? I mean, judging by the evidence, I've certainly got a gob. (Notices the button). And how am I gonna react when I see this? (Points up at the button with an insane smile). A great big threatening button. (Runs up the stairs, laughing). A Great Big Threatening Button Which Must Not Be Pressed Under Any Circumstances. Am I right? Let me guess, it's some sort of control matrix? Hmm? Hold on, what's feeding it?

He bends down and pulls open a small door in order to access the controls underneath the button. He notices the red liquid inside.

THE DOCTOR (CONT'D): And what've we got here? Blood? (Dips his finger in it and tastes it). Yeah, definitely. Blood. Human blood. A Positive. With just a dash of iron. (Waggles his tongue around at the nasty taste and wipes his finger on his dressing gown). Ahh. But that means... blood control... (Positively delighted). Blood control! Oh! I haven't seen blood control for years! You're controlling all the A Positives!

The Sycorax's grimace falters slightly.

THE DOCTOR (CONT'D): Which leaves us with a great big stinking problem. 'Cos... I really don't know who I am. I don't know when to stop. So if I see a Great Big Threatening Button Which Should Never Ever Be Pressed... then I just wanna do this.

He whacks the button hard.

ROSE / HARRIET JONES: No!

EXT. POWELL ESTATE ROOFTOP

The A Positives who have been hypnotised onto the roof tops take a step forward... and then they are released from the hypnosis. They all look extremely confused.

JASON: What the hell am I doing up here?

SANDRA (relieved): Get away from the edge!

They all hastily retreat from the edge, staring at the spaceship above their heads.

INT. SYCORAX SHIP

ALEX: You k*lled them!

THE DOCTOR: What do you think, big fella? Are they dead?

SYCORAX LEADER: We allow them to live.

THE DOCTOR: Allow? You've no choice! I mean, that's all blood control is. Cheap bit of voodoo. Scares the pants off you, but that's as far as it goes. It's like hypnosis... you can hypnotise someone to walk like a chicken or sing like Elvis, you can't hypnotise them to death. Survival instinct's too strong.

SYCORAX LEADER: Blood control was just one form of conquest. I can summon the armada and take this world by force.

THE DOCTOR: Well, yeah, you could, yeah, you could do that, of course you could. But why? Look at these people. (Gestures the humans, speaking passionately). These human beings. Consider their potential. From the day they arrive on the planet and blinking step into the sun. There is more to see than can ever be seen. More to do than... no, hold on... (Pauses, thinking). Sorry, that's "The Lion King". But the point still stands. Leave them alone!

SYCORAX LEADER: Or what?

THE DOCTOR: Or...

He grabs a sword from one of the Sycorax guarding Rose and the others, runs down the steps into the empty floor space in front of the TARDIS and raises it into the air.

THE DOCTOR (CONT'D): I challenge you.

The Sycorax Leader and the other Sycorax burst out laughing again.

THE DOCTOR (CONT'D): Oh, that struck a chord. Am I right that the sanctified rules of combat still apply?

SYCORAX LEADER (coming down the steps and unsheathing his sword): You stand as this world's champion.

THE DOCTOR (shrugging off his dressing gown): Thank-you. I've no idea who I am, but you just summed me up.

He tosses his dressing gown to Rose, who catches it.

THE DOCTOR (CONT'D): So... you accept my challenge? Or are you just a cranak pel casacree salvak?

The Sycorax Leader hisses. They both kneel by their swords.

SYCORAX LEADER: For the planet?

THE DOCTOR: For the planet.

They stand up and face each other, holding their swords at the ready. They then run at each other and begin to fight. After a few seconds, the Doctor is thrown aside, and the Sycorax Leader laughs. The Doctor, however, straightens himself up and they begin to fight again. The Sycorax Leader swings his sword at the Doctor.

ROSE: Look out!

THE DOCTOR: Oh, yeah, that helped. Wouldn't have thought of that otherwise, thanks.

They begin to fight again, Rose watching them, terrified. The Doctor leads the fight up the stairs.

THE DOCTOR (CONT'D): Bit of fresh air?

He hits a button and a door opens, leading to a platform on the outside of the spaceship.

EXT. SYCORAX SHIP

They continue their fight. Rose, Mickey, Harriet Jones, Alex and a few of the Sycorax follow them. The swash-buckling continues. The Sycorax Leader manages to catch the Doctor slightly on his nose, and he groans. Rose begins to run forward, but the Doctor raises a hand to stop her.

THE DOCTOR: Stay back! Invalidate the challenge and he wins the planet.

He wipes his nose, and he and the Sycorax Leader run towards each other, clashing swords. They both grimace with the effort, and the Doctor is knocked backwards to the ground. Taking advantage, the Sycorax Leader slashes at the Doctor's wrist, succeeding in chopping his hand off, up to the elbow. It falls off the side of the spaceship, sword and all. The Doctor watches it drop, and looks back at the Sycorax Leader, looking rather stunned and annoyed.

THE DOCTOR (CONT'D): You cut my hand off.

SYCORAX LEADER (triumphantly): Yah! Sycorax!

THE DOCTOR (getting to his feet): And now I know what sort of man I am. I'm lucky. 'Cos quite by chance... I'm still within the first fifteen hours of my regeneration cycle. Which means I've got just enough residual cellular energy... to do this.

He holds up his stump of an arm, and before the eyes of the observers, it grows right back.

SYCORAX LEADER: Witchcraft.

THE DOCTOR: Time Lord.

Rose takes one of the Sycorax's swords out of its sheath.

ROSE: Doctor!

The Doctor turns and she tosses it to him. He catches it by the handle and spins it around.

THE DOCTOR: Oh, so I'm still the Doctor, then?

ROSE (smiling): No arguments from me!

THE DOCTOR (turning back to the Sycorax Leader) :Wanna know the best bit? This new hand...(Texan accent). It's a fightin' hand!

The Doctor runs at the Sycorax Leader, and the fight commences once more. They clash swords for a few more moments, then the Doctor jabs him hard in stomach with the handle of the sword. The onlookers wince, and the Sycorax Leader groans. The Doctor does the same twice more, causing the Sycorax Leader to fall to the ground. The Doctor points his sword at his throat.

THE DOCTOR (CONT'D): I win.

SYCORAX LEADER (difficulty speaking): Then k*ll me.

THE DOCTOR: I'll spare your life if you'll take this champion's command: leave this planet, and never return. What do you say?

SYCORAX LEADER: Yes.

THE DOCTOR (as angry and serious as we have yet seen him, jabbing the sword closer): Swear on the blood of your species.

SYCORAX LEADER (laboured): I swear.

THE DOCTOR (lightly): There we are, then! Thanks for that! Cheers, big fella!

He jabs the sword into the ground.

HARRIET JONES (clapping): Bravo!

ROSE (rushing forward): That says it all. Bravo!

THE DOCTOR: Yeah! Not bad for a man in his jim-jams!

Rose puts the dressing gown back on the Doctor.

THE DOCTOR (CONT'D): Very Arthur Dent. Now, there was a nice man. Hold on, what have I got in here?

He takes a satsuma out of his pocket. Rose giggles.

THE DOCTOR (CONT'D): A satsuma. Ah, that friend of your mothers, he does like his snacks doesn't he? But doesn't that just sum up Christmas?

They begin to walk back to the door. The Doctor throws the satsuma in the air and catches it again.

THE DOCTOR (CONT'D): You go through all those presents and right at the end, tucked away at the bottom, there's always one stupid old satsuma. Who wants a satsuma?

Behind them, the Sycorax Leader gets to his feet. He picks up his sword, roaring, ready to charge. Without even turning around, the Doctor lobs the satsuma at a switch on the side of the ship, causing the ground beneath the Sycorax Leader to open. He tumbles to Earth, screaming. The Doctor's smile has faded from his face.

THE DOCTOR (CONT'D): No second chances. I'm that sort of a man.

INT. SYCORAX SHIP

The Doctor stands in front of the TARDIS with Rose and the others. The Doctor addresses the remaining Sycorax.

THE DOCTOR: By the ancient rites of combat, I forbid you to scavenge here for the rest of time. And when go you back to the stars and tell others of this planet... when you tell them of its riches, its people, its potential. When you talk of the Earth, then make sure that you tell them this: It is defended.

The TARDIS, the Doctor, Rose, Harriet Jones, Mickey and Alex are all teleported away.

EXT. STREET

The group materialise.

ROSE: Where are we?

MICKEY: We're just off Bloxom Road. We're just round the corner, we did it!

He laughs and jumps up and down in glee. The Doctor holds his hand out as the spaceships engines start up.

THE DOCTOR: Wait a minute... wait a minute...

The ship takes flight, back to the skies. The Doctor grins.

MICKEY (gleefully): Go on, my son! Oh, yeah!

ROSE (jumps on Mickey's back): Yeah! Don't come back!

MICKEY: It is defended!

They laugh happily, and Rose jumps off his back and hugs him. She then runs up to a very surprised Alex, and throws her arms around him as well. The Doctor and Harriet Jones face each other. She raises her arms, grinning.

HARRIET JONES: My Doctor.

THE DOCTOR: Prime Minister.

They hug happily.

HARRIET JONES: Absolutely the same man.

The Doctor smiles. Then they both turn to look up at they sky.

HARRIET JONES (CONT'D): Are there many more out there?

THE DOCTOR: Oh, not just Sycorax. Hundreds of species. Thousands of them. And the human race is drawing attention to itself. Every day you're sending out probes and messages and signals, this planet's so noisy. You're getting noticed... more and more. (Looks at her). You'd better get used to it.

JACKIE: Rose!

ROSE: Mum!

THE DOCTOR: Oh! Talking of trouble...!

Rose runs up to her mum who has just come down the street and hugs her.

JACKIE: Oh, my God! You did it, Rose! Oh!

The Doctor smiles. Alex's communication device bleeps. Mickey joins Rose and Jackie.

ROSE: You did it too! It was the tea! Fixed his head!

THE DOCTOR: That was all I needed, cup of tea.

JACKIE: I said so!

ROSE (smiling happily): Look at him!

JACKIE: Is it him, though? Is it really the Doctor? (notices Harriet Jones). Oh, my God! It's the bleeding Prime Minister!

THE DOCTOR: Come here, you.

He holds out his arms to Jackie, who throws her arms around him. Rose and Mickey join in the group hug.

JACKIE: Aww...! Are you better?

THE DOCTOR: I am, yeah!

The four of them chat happily amongst themselves while Alex approaches Harriet Jones, referring to the message on his communication device.

ALEX: It's a message from Torchwood. They say they're ready.

Harriet Jones closes her eyes briefly, and then opens them again, watching the happy group standing a short way away.

JACKIE (to Rose): You left me!

ROSE: I'm sorry!

JACKIE: I had all the food!

The Doctor turns and gives Harriet Jones a brief smile, which she feebly tries to return.

HARRIET JONES: Tell them to fire.

ALEX (into his communication device): Fire at will.

And they wait. The Doctor, Rose, Jackie and Mickey jump as a beam of green light sh**t loudly up from the ground nearby. The same green light beams up from another four points, and the five points meet in the middle. The energy sh**t up into space and hits the spaceship, destroying it.

ROSE (gasping): What is that? What's happening?

Jackie puts her hand over her mouth. The Doctor looks unsmilingly from the sky to Harriet Jones. He walks toward her slowly.

THE DOCTOR (angrily): That was m*rder.

HARRIET JONES: That was defence. It's adapted from alien technology. A ship that fell to Earth ten years ago.

THE DOCTOR (still angry): But they were leaving.

HARRIET JONES: You said yourself, Doctor. They'd go back to the stars and tell others about the Earth. I'm sorry, Doctor, but you're not here all the time. You come and go. It happened today, Mr Llewellyn and the Major. They were m*rder*d. They d*ed right in front of me while you were sleeping. In which case, we have to defend ourselves.

THE DOCTOR (disdainfully): Britain's Golden Age.

HARRIET JONES: It comes with a price.

THE DOCTOR: I gave them the wrong warning. I should've told them to run, as fast as they can, run and hide because the monsters are coming: the human race.

HARRIET JONES: Those are the people I represent. I did it on their behalf.

THE DOCTOR: Then I should've stopped you.

HARRIET JONES: What does that make you, Doctor? Another alien thr*at?

THE DOCTOR (stepping towards her angrily): Don't challenge me, Harriet Jones. 'Cos I'm a completely new man. I could bring down your Government with a single word.

HARRIET JONES: You're the most remarkable man I've ever met. But I don't think you're quite capable of that.

THE DOCTOR: No, you're right. Not a single word. (Looks down at her silently for a few seconds). Just six.

HARRIET JONES: I don't think so.

THE DOCTOR: Six words.

HARRIET JONES: Stop it!

THE DOCTOR: Six.

They stare at each other for a few more seconds, a battle of wills. Then the Doctor walks around her and approaches Alex. He takes off his earpiece and speaks to him quietly, so Harriet Jones cannot hear.

THE DOCTOR (CONT'D): Don't you think she looks tired?

He walks off again, leaving Alex looking rather confused, and Harriet Jones plain alarmed. He joins Rose, Jackie and Mickey again, and the four of them walk off down the street. Harriet Jones rushes up to Alex.

HARRIET JONES (urgently): What did he say?

ALEX: Oh, uh... nothing, really.

HARRIET JONES: What did he say?!

ALEX: I... nothing! I don't know!

HARRIET JONES (yelling after the Doctor's retreating back): Doctor! Doctor, what did you... what was... what did he say?! What did you say, Doctor? Doctor?!

The Doctor completely ignores her, as do the other three. She calms down slightly.

HARRIET JONES (CONT'D): I'm sorry.

Alex begins to walk away, leaving Harriet Jones standing alone.

INT. TARDIS, WARDROBE

The Doctor is rifling through the clothes and looking for something to wear. A festive song plays. He picks up what looks like a soldier costume and holds it up to himself.: " When I woke up today and the world seemed a restless place, it could have been that way for me... ".

Mickey, Rose and Jackie are preparing the Christmas Dinner. Mickey starts to carve the turkey. " Then I wandered around... ".

INT. TARDIS, WARDROBE

The Doctor shuffles through the clothes rack with no luck. " And I thought of your face... ". A brown suit catches the Doctor's eye. He holds it up. " That Christmas looking back at me... ". The Doctor grabs a brown jacket, smiles with delight and dashes off. " I wish today was just like every other day. ".

Rose serves the sprouts at the table. " 'Cos today has been the best day... ".

INT. TARDIS WARDROBE

The Doctor walks slowly up to the mirror, hands in his pockets, newly clad in his brown suit and jacket. He turns around, looking at his reflection. " Everything I ever dreamed. Then I started to walk... ". He leans towards the mirror, running a hand over his face, examining it. " Pretty soon I will run... ". He runs his tongue over his teeth, then turns his head to different angles as if to admire the effect. " Then I'll be running back to you. ". He raises his eyebrows, sniffs, and nods. " 'Cos I followed my star, and that's what you are... ". The Doctor leaves the enormous wardrobe.

INT. TYLER'S FLAT

The Doctor enters Jackie's flat, shutting the door behind him. Rose looks up. The Doctor stands before her, and she smiles. He smiles back. " I've had a merry time with you. ". Rose screams as the Christmas cr*cker she pulled with the Doctor bangs. The Doctor wins but he gives it to Rose anyway. " I wish today was just like every other day. ".

THE DOCTOR: Oh, that's yours...

Rose takes a pink paper party hat out of the cr*cker.

ROSE: It's pink! Mum, it should be yours!

THE DOCTOR: Pink! Lovely!

She puts the hat on, and the Doctor watches her, smiling. Rose points to the television. " 'Cos today has been the best day, everything I ever dreamed... ".

ROSE: Look, it's Harriet Jones!

They all turn to look at the television, the Doctor taking a pair of glasses from his pocket.

MAN (on television): Prime Minister, is it true you are no longer fit to be in position?

HARRIET JONES (on television): No. Now, can we talk about other things?

The Doctor stands up and putting a pair of thick rimmed, geeky glasses on, looking sternly at the television.

MAN: Is it true you're unfit for office?

HARRIET JONES: Look, there is nothing wrong with my health! I don't know where these stories are coming from! And a vote of no confidence... is completely unjustified.

The phone rings and Jackie goes into the kitchen to answer it.

MAN: Are you going to resign?

HARRIET JONES (clearly confused and frustrated): On today of all days, I'm fine. Look at me, I'm fine. I look fine, I feel fine.

JACKIE: It's Beth. She says go and look outside.

The Doctor takes his glasses off and turns back to the others.

ROSE: Why?

JACKIE: I dunno, just go outside and look. Come on, shift!

They all get up.

EXT. POWELL ESTATE

There are lots of others outside too, as it appears to be snowing. They laugh in delight. It looks as though there are meteors in the sky. The Doctor and Rose stand beside each other, Jackie and Mickey a short way behind them.

ROSE: Oh, that's beautiful. What are they, meteors?

THE DOCTOR: It's the spaceship breaking up in the atmosphere. This isn't snow, it's ash.

ROSE: Okay, not so beautiful.

THE DOCTOR: This is a brand new planet Earth. No denying the existence of aliens now, everyone saw it. Everything's new.

ROSE (avoiding his eye): And what about you? What are you gonna do next?

THE DOCTOR: Well... back to the TARDIS... same old life.

ROSE (tentatively): On... on your own?

THE DOCTOR: Why, don't you wanna come?

ROSE: Well, yeah.

THE DOCTOR: Do you, though?

ROSE: Yeah!

THE DOCTOR: I just thought... 'cos I changed...

ROSE: Yeah, I... I thought, 'cos you changed... you might not want me anymore.

THE DOCTOR (happily, sincerely): Oh, I'd love you to come!

ROSE: Okay!

They laugh, beaming at each other.

MICKEY (staring at the ground): You're never gonna stay, are you?

The Doctor and Rose both look at him. Mickey raises his eyes.

ROSE: There's just so much out there. So much to see... I've got to.

Mickey smiles, understanding but still not happy.

MICKEY: Yeah.

JACKIE: Well, I reckon you're mad. The pair of you. It's like you go looking for trouble.

THE DOCTOR (rushing up to her): Trouble's just the bits in-between (Puts an arm around her, looks up at the sky). It's all waiting out there, Jackie. It's brand new to me.

Rose smiles.

THE DOCTOR (CONT'D): All those planets... creatures and horizons... I haven't seem them yet! Not with these eyes... (Stands beside Rose). And it is gonna be... fantastic.

Rose smiles at the use of his old catchphrase and he grins back. He holds his hand out to her.

ROSE (pointing at it, smiling): That hand of yours still gives me the creeps.

The Doctor grins and wiggles his fingers persistently. She takes his hand and they look up at they sky for a few moments. Rose steps closer to him and brushes the snow off his arm.

ROSE (CONT'D): So, where're we gonna go first?

THE DOCTOR: Um... that way. (Points deliberately at a point in the night sky). No, hold on... that way.

He points a smidgen to the right of his first point. Rose points in the same direction.

ROSE: That way?

THE DOCTOR (looking at her): Hmm?

She nods.

ROSE (softly): Yeah. That way.

They smile at each other for a few seconds and then gaze up at the night-sky, hand in hand.

END