2008-12-25 - The Next Doctor

Doctor Who Special Episode transcripts. This collection spans from November 25, 1983 to present.*

Moderator: Kitty Midnight

The further adventures of the renegade Time Lord, Doctor Who and his companions, from cross-overs to Christmas Specials. 2016-12-25 - "The Return of Doctor Mysterio"

Watch/Buy Amazon  Merchandise  Collectibles

Classic Who   NuWho  

2008-12-25 - The Next Doctor

Post by bunniefuu »

EXT. MARKETPLACE, DAY
The TARDIS materializes under a bridge in the snow. The DOCTOR opens the door and looks about with a smile. He walks along and finds himself in a busy street market. The stalls are decked with green garlands and ribbons. There are hawkers of mistletoe and chestnuts along with carolers. The DOCTOR sees a BOY.

DOCTOR: You there, boy. What day is this?

BOY: Christmas Eve, sir.

DOCTOR: What year?

BOY: You thick or something?

DOCTOR: Oi. Just answer the question.

BOY: Year of our Lord 1851, sir.

DOCTOR: Right. Nice year. Bit dull.

WOMAN: (yelling) Doctor!

The DOCTOR looks around for the source of the call.

DOCTOR: Who, me? (takes off running)

EXT. ALLEY, DAY

The DOCTOR runs into an alley where he sees a black WOMAN nervously backing away from bolted doors.

DOCTOR: Don't worry, don't worry. Stand back, what have we got here? Ooh.

A growling comes from behind the doors as something throws itself against them.

DOCTOR: OK, I've got it. Whatever's behind that door, I think you should get out of here.

WOMAN: (ignores the DOCTOR and yells again) Doctor!

DOCTOR: No, I'm standing right here. Hello.

WOMAN: Don't be so stupid, who are you?

DOCTOR: I'm The Doctor.

WOMAN: Doctor who?

DOCTOR: Just the Doctor.

WOMAN: Well, there can't be two of ya.

A MAN comes running up dressed of the period.

WOMAN: Where the hell have you been?

MAN: Don't worry. Stand back. What have we got here, then?

DOCTOR: Hold on, hold on. Who are you?

MAN: I'm the Doctor. Simply the Doctor. The one, the only and the best. Rosita, give me the sonic screwdriver.

ROSITA hands the DOCTOR 2 something too quickly for the DOCTOR to get a proper look.

DOCTOR: What?

DOCTOR 2: Now quickly, get back to the TARDIS.

DOCTOR: Back to the what?

DOCTOR 2: Stand back, sir. This is a job for a Time Lord.

DOCTOR: Job for a what lord?

The door bursts open to reveal a creature with a shaggy, furry body and a metal mask where its face should be.

DOCTOR: Oh, that's different. (reaches into his pocket)

DOCTOR 2: Oh, that's new.

They both aim their sonic screwdrivers at the creature.

BOTH: Allons-y.

David Tennant
David Morrissey

DOCTOR WHO
"The Next Doctor
by Russell T. Davies

Producer
Susie Liggat

Director
Andy Goddard

EXT. ALLEY, DAY

The creature, a Cybershade, looks at them.

DOCTOR 2: I've been hunting this beast for a good fortnight. Now step back, sir.

The Cybershade leaps over them and clings to the wall of a building.

DOCTOR: Some sort of primitive conversion, like they took the brain of a cat or a dog.

DOCTOR 2: Well, talking's all very well. Rosita.

ROSITA: I'm ready.

ROSITA gives DOCTOR 2 a rope which he begins to swing over his head like a lasso.

DOCTOR 2: Now, watch and learn. (releases the rope and it circles the Cybersahde) Excellent. Now then, let's pull this timorous beastie down to earth.

The Cybershade scales the wall taking DOCTOR 2 with him.

DOCTOR: Or not.

DOCTOR 2: I might be in a little bit of trouble.

DOCTOR: Nothing changes. I've got you.

The DOCTOR grabs hold of the rope and is pulled up the building as well.

ROSITA: You idiots!

DOCTOR 2: Perhaps if you could pull?

DOCTOR: I am pulling. In this position, I couldn't not pull, could I?

The Cybershade jumps into a window and stops.

DOCTOR 2: Then I'd suggest you let go, sir.

DOCTOR: I'm not letting you out of my sight, Doctor. Don't you recognise me?

DOCTOR 2: No, should I? Have we met? This is hardly the right time for me to go through my social calendar.

INT. WAREHOUSE, DAY

The Cybershade runs across the floor, pulling both DOCTORS up. They are pulled into the room and across the floor towards the far window.

DOCTOR: It's gonna jump!

DOCTOR 2: We're gonna fall!

ROSITA chops the rope with an axe and both Doctors tumble from the quick stop. They slowly stand, groaning, and soon start laughing and hug. ROSITA walks over and drops the axe to the floor.

EXT. ALLEY, DAY

All three walk down the stairs from the warehouse. The Doctors are still laughing.

ROSITA: Well, I'm glad you think it's so funny. You're mad. Both of you. You could've got k*lled.

DOCTOR 2: But, evidently, we did not. Oh, I should introduce Rosita. My faithful companion, always telling me off.

DOCTOR: Well, they do, don't they? Rosita? Good name. Hello, Rosita.

ROSITA: Huh. Now I'll have to go and dismantle the traps. All that for nothing. And we've only got 20 minutes till the funeral, don't forget. (walks away) Then back to the TARDIS, right?

DOCTOR: Funeral?

DOCTOR 2: Oh, long story. Not my own, not yet. (bends over) Oooh, I'm not as young as I was.

DOCTOR: Well, not as young as you were when you were me.

DOCTOR 2: When I was who?

DOCTOR: You really don't recognise me?

DOCTOR 2: Not at all.

DOCTOR: But you're The Doctor. The next Doctor. Or the next-but-one. A future Doctor anyway.

DOCTOR 2: Oh!

DOCTOR: No, no, don't tell me how it happened. Although... I hope I don't just trip over a brick, that'd be embarrassing. Then again, painless. Worse ways to go, depends on the brick.

DOCTOR 2: You're gabbling, sir. Now, might I ask, who are you, exactly?

DOCTOR: No, I'm, uh... I'm just Smith. John Smith. But I've heard all about you, Doctor. Bit of a legend, if I say so myself.

DOCTOR 2: Modesty forbids me to agree with you, sir. But yes. Yes, I am.

DOCTOR: A legend with certain memories missing. Am I right?

DOCTOR 2: How do you know that?

DOCTOR: You've forgotten me.

DOCTOR 2: Great swathes of my life have been stolen away. When I turn my mind to the past, there's nothing.

DOCTOR: Going how far back?

DOCTOR 2: Since the Cybermen. Masters of that hellish wall-scuttler and old enemies of mine, now at work in London town. You won't believe this, Mr Smith, but they are creatures from another world.

DOCTOR: Really? Wow.

DOCTOR 2: It's said they fell onto London, out of the sky in a blaze of light. And they found me. (looks into the brazier and has flashes of memories) Something was taken. And something was lost. (looks at the DOCTOR) What was I like? In the past?

DOCTOR: I don't think I should say. Sorry. Got to be careful with memory loss. One wrong word...

DOCTOR 2: It's strange, though. I talk of Cybermen from the stars and you don't blink, Mr Smith.

DOCTOR: Ah, don't blink, remember that? Whatever you do, don't blink? The blinking and the statues? Sally and the angels? No?

DOCTOR 2: You're a very odd man.

DOCTOR: Hmm, I still am. Something's wrong here.

DOCTOR 2: Oh, the funeral. The funeral's at two o'clock. It's been a pleasure, Mr Smith. Don't breathe a word of it.

DOCTOR: Can't I come with you?

DOCTOR 2: It's far dangerous. Rest assured, I shall keep this city safe. Oh, and, er... merry Christmas, Mr Smith. (leaves)

DOCTOR: Merry Christmas, Doctor. (follows)

INT. CYBERMEN BASE, DAY

CYBERLEADER: Report.

CYBERMAN: Cybershade 16 has made contact.

CYBERLEADER: Then observe the enemy.

Both Doctors appear on a small screen from the CYBERSHADE’S POV

CYBERLEADER: This man is dangerous. This man is our enemy. This man is The Doctor.

The screen replays the encounter.

CYBERLEADER: The att*ck is scheduled for 1400 hours. Plans for the Ascension demand a successful intervention. (stops in front of a woman) Is everything in position?

WOMAN: That's rather dependent on you. All I can promise is to do my best.

CYBERLEADER: Define the parameters of "best".

WOMAN: As you would say, I will operate at maximum efficiency. And you'll keep your part of the bargain?

CYBERLEADER: You will be heralded, in the new age at the Court of the CyberKing.

CYBERMEN: (salute) The CyberKing will rise.

WOMAN: The CyberKing will rise, indeed. How like a man. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a funeral to attend.

EXT. STREET, DAY

The funeral procession makes its way slowly down the street, the black of the mourners contrasting against the snow. DOCTOR 2 and ROSITA watch as it passes by.

DOCTOR 2: The late Reverend Fairchild, leaving his place of residence for the last time. God rest his soul. Now, with the house empty, I shall effect an entrance at the rear while you go back to the TARDIS. This is hardly work for a woman.

The DOCTOR is watching them.

ROSITA: Oh, don't mind me saving your life. That's work for a woman, isn't it?

DOCTOR 2: The Doctor's companion does what the Doctor says. Off you go.

DOCTOR 2 and ROSITA part ways. The DOCTOR watches ROSITA stride away and turns back.

EXT. FAIRCHILD’S HOUSE, DAY

DOCTOR 2 works on picking the lock to the door and it is opened from the inside by the DOCTOR.

DOCTOR: Hello.

DOCTOR 2: How did you get in?

DOCTOR: Oh, front door. I'm good at doors. Um, do you mind my asking, is that your sonic screwdriver?

DOCTOR 2: Yeah. (holds up a regular screwdriver) I'd be lost without it.

DOCTOR: But, that's a screwdriver. How's it sonic?

DOCTOR 2: Well, er, it makes a noise. (taps it against the doorframe) That's sonic, isn't it? Now, since we're acting like common burglars, I suggest we get out of plain view.

DOCTOR 2 enters the house and the DOCTOR closes the door behind him.

INT. FAIRCHILD’S HOUSE, LIBRARY, DAY

The room is decorated for Christmas, intruding on the masculine retreat. DOCTOR 2 heads straight for the dead man’s desk and begins to search the drawers.

DOCTOR: This investigation of yours, what's it about?

DOCTOR 2: It started with a m*rder.

DOCTOR: Oh, good. I mean bad, but whose?

DOCTOR 2: Mr Jackson Lake, a teacher of mathematics from Sussex. He came to London three weeks ago and d*ed a terrible death.

DOCTOR: Cybermen?

DOCTOR 2: It's hard to say, his body was never found. But then it started. More secret murders. Then abductions. Children…stolen away in silence.

DOCTOR: So whose house is this?

DOCTOR 2: (moves to a book rack) The latest m*rder. The Reverend Aubrey Fairchild. Found with burns to his forehead, like some advanced form of electrocution.

DOCTOR: But who was he, was he important?

DOCTOR 2: You ask a lot of questions.

DOCTOR: I'm your companion.

DOCTOR 2: The Reverend was the pillar of the community, a member of many parish boards. A keen advocate of children's charities.

DOCTOR: Children again. But why would the Cybermen want him dead? And what's his connection to the first death, this Jackson Lake?

DOCTOR 2: It's funny, I seem to be telling you everything. As though you engendered some sort of... trust. You seem familiar, Mr Smith. I know your face. But how?

DOCTOR: I wonder. I can't help noticing you're wearing a fob watch.

DOCTOR 2: Is that important?

DOCTOR: Legend has it that the memories of a Time Lord can be contained within a watch. Do you mind?

DOCTOR 2 hands the DOCTOR his watch and whispering voices can be heard.

DOCTOR: It's said that if it's opened... (he opens the watch and the workings fall out onto the floor) Oh. Maybe not.

DOCTOR 2: It’s more for decoration.

DOCTOR: Yeah. Anyway, alien infiltration.

The two break apart and begin to search the room.

DOCTOR 2: Look for anything different, possibly metal. Anything that doesn't seem to belong, perhaps a mechanical device that could fit no earthly engine.

The DOCTOR takes out his sonic screwdriver and uses it on a locked desk.

DOCTOR 2: It could even seem to be organic, but unlike any organism of the natural world. Shh! What's that noise?

The DOCTOR puts the screwdriver back in his pocket.

DOCTOR: Oh, it's just me... whistling. (does his best whistling impression of the sonic screwdriver) I wonder what's in here, though. (points at the scroll-top desk he unlocked and opens it) Ah. (pulls out a metal cylinder) Different and metal, you were right. They are infostamps. I mean, at a guess. Um, if I were you, I'd say they worked something like this.

The DOCTOR presses one end of the cylinder and images are projected onto the wall from the other.

DOCTOR: See? Compressed information. Tons of it. (puts on glasses) That is the history of London, 1066 to the present day. This is like a disk, a Cyberdisk. But why would the Cybermen need something so simple?

The DOCTOR hasn’t noticed that DOCTOR 2 has reacted badly to the sight of the infostamps and has collapsed into

a chair.

DOCTOR: They've gotta be wireless. Unless... they're in the wrong century, they haven't got much power. They need plain old basic infostamps to update themselves. (notices DOCTOR 2) Are you all right?

DOCTOR 2: I'm fine.

DOCTOR: No, what is it? (sits across from him) What's wrong?

DOCTOR 2: I've seen one of these before. (flashes on a memory of himself and Cybermen) I was holding... this device, the night I lost my mind. The night I regenerated. (more flashes) The Cybermen, they made me change. My mind, my face, my whole self. And you were there. Who are you?

DOCTOR: A friend. I swear.

DOCTOR 2: Then I beg you, John. Help me.

DOCTOR: Ah. Two words I never refuse. (stands) But it's not a conversation for a dead man's house. It'll make more sense if we go back to the TARDIS... Your TARDIS. Hold on, I just need to do a final check. Won't take a tick. (begins opening doors) There's one more thing I cannot figure. If this room's got infostamps, then maybe, just maybe, it's got something that needs infostamping. (opens a door and sees a Cyberman) OK. (closes door) I think we should run.

As the DOCTOR runs to DOCTOR 2, the CYBERMAN shoves pushes the door open.

DOCTOR: Run, Doctor! Now, Doctor! (pushes the other man ahead of him out of the library)

CYBERMAN: Delete!

INT. FAIRCHILD’S HOUSE, FRONT HALL, DAY

The DOCTOR and DOCTOR 2 try to run but are blocked by a second CYBERMAN.

CYBERMAN 2: The Doctor will be deleted.

They run back only to have the first CYBERMAN break through the door.

DOCTOR: Stairs! Can't lead them outside!

DOCTOR 2 runs up the stairs as the DOCTOR tries to find something to use as a w*apon, only finding an umbrella. He spots a sword on the wall just as CYBERMAN 2 arrives.

CYBERMAN 2: Delete!

DOCTOR: (flourishes the sword) I'm a dab hand with a cutlass. You don't want to come near me when I've got one of these. This is your last warning. No? (the CYBERMEN keep advancing) OK, this is really your last warning! OK, I give up. (starts up the stairs)

DOCTOR: Listen to me properly!(backs up the stairs as the CYBERMEN advance, using the cutlass to block their blows) Whatever you're doing stuck in 1851, I can help! I'm the only person in the world who can help you! Listen to me!

DOCTOR: I'm The Doctor. You need me. Check your memory banks, my name's The Doctor. Leave this man alone! The Doctor is me! (kicks the CYBERMEN back and runs up the stairs)

DOCTOR: The Doctor, remember? I'm The Doctor! You need me alive! You need The Doctor, and that's me!

DOCTOR 2 looks at the infostamp in his hand and has another flash. The CYBERMAN pushes the DOCTOR to the floor and advances.

DOCTOR 2’s flash shows him how he once destroyed the CYBERMEN using the infostamp. He opens up the end and aims the energy beam at them. They fall to their knees and then their heads explode.

DOCTOR: Infostamp with a cyclo-Steinham core. You ripped open the core and broke the safety, zap! (chuckles) Only The Doctor would think of that.

DOCTOR 2: I did that... last time.

DOCTOR: Come here, you'll be OK. Let me just check. (pulls out his stethoscope)

DOCTOR 2: You told them you were The Doctor. Why did you do that?

DOCTOR: Oh, I was just protecting you. (listens to his chest)

DOCTOR 2: You're trying to take away the only thing I've got, like they did. They stole something, something so precious. But I can't remember. What happened to me? What did they do?

DOCTOR: We'll find out. You and me, together.

EXT. CEMETARY, DAY

The Rev. Fairchild’s body is lowered into his grave. As the VICAR speaks, the WOMAN who was with the Cybermen arrives at the cemetery, dressed in bright red.

VICAR: Forasmuch as it hath pleased Almighty God of his great mercy, to take unto Himself the soul of our dear brother here departed, we therefore commit his body to the ground. Earth to earth, ashes to ashes and dust to dust, in sure and certain hope of the Resurrection to eternal life, through our Lord Jesus Christ, who shall change our vile body, that it may be like unto his glorious body, according to the mighty working... (stops at the WOMAN’S arrival at the gravesite)

WOMAN: Do continue.

VICAR: Madam, I must protest!

WOMAN: Whatever for?

VICAR: A lady at the graveside is debatable enough, but... your apparel....

WOMAN: Is it too exciting?

COLE: You're disgracing the ceremony, dressed like a harlot.

WOMAN: Oh, and you should know, Mr Cole.

COLE: How do you know my name?

WOMAN: You've walked past me so many times, all you good men of charity, never once asking my name.

SCOONES: It's Miss Hartigan, isn't it?

HARTIGAN: Oh, you noticed. I saw you looking, you cheeky boy.

VICAR: I'm sorry, but who is she?

HARTIGAN: Matron of the St Joseph Workhouse, your humble servant. Oh, I've watched you all. Visiting. Smiling. Bestowing your beneficence upon the poor while I scrubbed down their filthy beds.

VICAR: I must insist that you depart.

HARTIGAN: (looks into the grave) But that's why the late Reverend Fairchild had to die. To gather you all in one place. Where better than a funeral? (to VICAR) Man that is born of woman hath but a short time to live. Although I've got some friends who might disagree with that. Would you like to meet them? Hark! I can hear them now.

The Cybermen march in from all sides, surrounding the funeral party.

HARTIGAN: Mr Cole, Mr Scoones, Mr Fetch, Mr Milligan, stay where you are. You're needed. The rest of you are disposable. Sorry.

VICAR: But what manner of men are they?

HARTIGAN: Cybermen.

The mourners run from the Cybermen and Cybershades. A large number of them are electrocuted as they each try to save themselves.

HARTIGAN: I repeat, Mr Cole, Mr Scoones, Mr Fetch, Mr Milligan. Stay.

COLE: You monstrous witch!

HARTIGAN: Merry Christmas to you, too.

SCOONES: But why are we spared? What do you need us for?

HARTIGAN: Your children. It's funny, now I think of it, but in all these years not one of you has asked my first name. It's Mercy.

The Cybermen come up and surround the remaining men.

EXT. ALLEY, NIGHT

ROSITA is pacing as she waits. The DOCTOR and DOCTOR 2 walk up.

ROSITA: Doctor! (runs over and hugs DOCTOR 2) I thought you were dead!

DOCTOR 2: Now then, Rosita. A little decorum.

ROSITA: You've been gone for so long. He's always doing this, leaving me behind. Going frantic.

DOCTOR 2: What about the TARDIS?

ROSITA: Oh, she's ready. Come on. (takes DOCTOR 2 by the arm)

DOCTOR: I'm looking forward to this.

INT. STABLES, NIGHT

Clothes and cases are scattered through the building. The DOCTOR looks about as DOCTOR 2 talks with ROSITA.

DOCTOR 2: You were right though, Rosita. The Reverend Fairchild's death was the work of the Cybermen.

DOCTOR: So, you live here?

DOCTOR 2: A temporary base, until we rout the enemy. The TARDIS is magnificent, but it's hardly a home.

DOCTOR 2 steps into one of the stalls and puts a cloth into a basin of water and proceeds to wash his face.

DOCTOR: And where's the TARDIS now?

DOCTOR 2: In the yard.

DOCTOR: Er... What's all this luggage?

DOCTOR 2: Evidence. The property of Jackson Lake, the first man to be m*rder*d. Oh, but my new friend is a fighter, Rosita, much like myself. He faced the Cybermen with a cutlass. I'm not ashamed to say, he was braver than I.

The DOCTOR takes out the sonic screwdriver again and uses it on some of the luggage.

DOCTOR 2: He was quite brilliant. Are you whistling again?

DOCTOR: Yes. Yes, I am, yeah. Yeah. (makes a "sshh" to ROSITA as he puts the screwdriver away and makes to open one of the trunks)

ROSITA: That's another man's property.

DOCTOR: Well, a dead man's. (searches trunk) How did you two meet, then?

ROSITA: He saved my life. Late one night, by the Osterman's Wharf, this...creature came out of the shadows. A man made of metal. I thought I was gonna die. And then, there he was. The Doctor. Can you help him, sir? He has such terrible dreams. Wakes at night in such a state of terror.

DOCTOR 2: Come now, Rosita. With all the things a Time Lord has seen, everything he's lost, he may surely have bad dreams.

DOCTOR: Yeah. Oh, now, look. Jackson Lake had an infostamp.

DOCTOR 2: But how? Is that significant?

DOCTOR: Doctor, the answer to all this is in your TARDIS. Could I see it?

DOCTOR 2: Mr Smith, it would be my honour.

EXT. STABLE YARD, NIGHT

DOCTOR 2 leads the DOCTOR out to show him his TARDIS. Pride of place is given to a hat-air balloon. A young man is standing beside it.

DOCTOR 2: There she is! My transport through time and space. The TARDIS.

DOCTOR: You've got a balloon.

DOCTOR 2: TARDIS. T-A-R-D-I-S. It stands for Tethered Aerial Release Developed In Style. D'you see?

DOCTOR: Well, I do now. I like it. Good TARDIS. Brilliant. Nice one. (inspects the balloon) And it’s inflated by gas, yeah?

DOCTOR 2: We're adjacent to the Mutton Street Gasworks, I pay them a modest fee. Good work, Jed. (claps the man on the shoulder)

JED: Glad to be of service, sir.

DOCTOR 2 takes out a number of bills and pays JED.

DOCTOR: You've got quite a bit of money.

DOCTOR 2: Oh, you get nothing for nothing. How's that ripped panel, Jed?

JED: All repaired, should work a treat. You never know, maybe tonight's the night, Doctor. Imagine it, seeing Christmas from above.

DOCTOR 2: Well, not just yet, I think. One day, I will ascend. One day soon.

DOCTOR: You've never actually been up?

ROSITA: He dreams of leaving, but never does.

DOCTOR 2: I can depart, in the TARDIS, once London is safe. And finally, when I'm up there... Think of it, John. The time and the space.

DOCTOR: The perfect escape. Do you ever wonder what you're escaping from?

DOCTOR 2: With every moment.

DOCTOR: Then do you want me to tell you? ‘Cos I think I've worked it out now. How you became The Doctor. What do you think? Do you want to know?

EXT. STREET, NIGHT

The men singled out by Miss HARTIGAN stand in front of her, each with Cyber implants in their ears.

HARTIGAN: Mr Cole, Mr Scoones, Mr Fetch and Mr Milligan, you have your instructions and the Court of the CyberKing is waiting. First of all, let's just see. A little test. Turn right. (the men turn right) Turn left. (the men turn left) And face me. (the men face her) Oh, I could do this forever. But now, set about your appointed tasks. And bring them to me.

The men go their separate ways as Miss HARTIGAN climbs into a hansom driven by a Cybershade.

INT. STABLES, NIGHT

The DOCTOR sits with DOCTOR 2 and ROSITA

DOCTOR: The story begins with the Cybermen. A long time away, and not so far from here, the Cybermen were fought and they were beaten, and they were sent into a howling wilderness called The Void, locked inside forevermore. But then a greater battle rose up, so great that everything inside The Void perished. But, as the walls of the world weakened, the last of the Cybermen must have fallen through the dimensions, back in time, to land here. And they found you.

DOCTOR 2: I fought them, I know that. But what happened?

DOCTOR: At the same time, another man came to London. Mr Jackson Lake. Plenty of luggage, money in his pocket. Maybe coming to town for the winter season, I don't know. But he found the Cybermen too. And just like you, exactly like you, he took hold of an infostamp.

DOCTOR 2: But he's dead. Jackson Lake is dead. The Cybermen m*rder*d him.

DOCTOR: You said no body was ever found. And you kept all his suitcases, but you could never bring yourself to open them. I told you the answer was in the fob watch. Can I see?

DOCTOR 2 removes his watch and hands it to the DOCTOR. He flips it over in his palm, revealing a monogram.

DOCTOR: "J.L." The watch is Jackson Lake's.

ROSITA: Jackson Lake is... you, sir?

JACKSON: But I'm The Doctor.

DOCTOR: You became The Doctor because the infostamp you picked up was a book about one particular man. (projects the infostamp onto the wall and it shows all his incarnations) The Cybermen's database. Stolen from the Daleks inside The Void, I'd say, but it's everything you could want to know about The Doctor.

JACKSON: That's you.

DOCTOR: Time Lord, TARDIS, enemy of the Cybermen. (clicks tongue) The one and the only. You see? The infostamp must have backfired, streamed all that information about me right inside your head.

JACKSON: (flashback to the use of the infostamp) I am nothing but a lie.

DOCTOR: No, no, no, no, no. Infostamps are just facts and figures. All that bravery. Saving Rosita. Defending London town. Hmm? And the invention, building a TARDIS. That's all you.

JACKSON: And what else? Tell me what else?

DOCTOR: There's still something missing, isn't there?

JACKSON: I demand you tell me, sir. Tell me what they took.

DOCTOR: Sorry. Really, I am so sorry. But that's an awful lot of luggage for one man. ‘Cos an infostamp is plain technology. It's not enough to make a man lose his mind. What you suffered is called a fugue. A fugue state. Where the mind just runs away, because it can't bear to look back. You wanted to become someone else, because Jackson Lake had lost so much.

A bell tolls in the distance.

ROSITA: Midnight. Christmas Day.

JACKSON: I remember... Oh, my God... (flashback to the Cybermen and a woman screaming before being electrocuted)

Caroline. They k*lled my wife. (cries) They k*lled her.

ROSITA comforts him. The DOCTOR finds another infostamp and hears a loud beeping. He follows the sound to another trunk.

DOCTOR: Oh... (pulls out a belt holding infostamps) You found a whole cache of infostamps.

ROSITA: But what is it? What's that noise?

DOCTOR: Activation. A call to arms. The Cybermen are moving! (runs outside)
EXT. STREET, NIGHT

The DOCTOR runs out and sees the shadows of the Cybermen heading towards him.

INT. STABLES, NIGHT

ROSITA sits next to JACKSON.

JACKSON: The Doctor needs help. I learnt that much about him. There should be someone at his side. Now go. Go.

ROSITA leaves.

EXT. STREET, NIGHT

ROSITA meets the DOCTOR as he watches a parade of orphans walk by.

ROSITA: What is it? What's happening? (sees COLE walking behind the children) That's Mr Cole. He's Master of the Hazel Street Workhouse. Maybe he's taking them to prayers.

DOCTOR: Oh, nothing as holy as that. (walks alongside COLE) Can you hear me? Hello? No? Mr Cole, you seem to have something in your ear. Now, this might hurt a bit, but if I can just... (reaches for his sonic screwdriver but stops at the sight of a Cybershade) They're on guard. Can't risk a fight. Not with the children.

ROSITA: But where are they going?

JED walks up to them.

JED: All need a good whipping, if you ask me. There’s tons of ‘em. I've just seen another lot coming from the Ingleby Workhouse down Broadback Lane.

DOCTOR: (to ROSITA) Where's that?

ROSITA: This way!

ROSITA leads the DOCTOR through side streets until they come to another group of children being led by another controlled man.

ROSITA: There’s dozens of 'em!

DOCTOR: But what for?

In another area of the city, SCOONES leads a group of children to a large set of wooden double doors. The doors open and two Cybermen step forward.

SCOONES: You will continue. You will enter the Court of the CyberKing.

One boy tries to escape but is herded back by Cybershades.

SCOONES: March. That is an order. March!

The children march through the doors.

INT. STABLES, NIGHT

JACKSON is sitting, crying, inside a stall converted to a bedroom. He then stands, determined, and heads back out to search the luggage.

JACKSON: Where is it? Where is it?

EXT. CYBERMEN LAIR, NIGHT

The DOCTOR and ROSITA watch as the children enter through the doors.

ROSITA: That's the door to the sluice. All the sewage runs through there, straight into the Thames.

DOCTOR: Yeah, that's too well guarded. We'll have to find another way in.

The DOCTOR and ROSITA turn back to find another way only to find their path blocked by two Cybermen.

DOCTOR: Whoa! That's cheating, sneaking up! Did you have your legs on silent?

Miss HARTIGAN strolls up and stands in front of the Cybermen.

HARTIGAN: So... what do we have here?

DOCTOR: (thinking she’s in danger) Just walk towards me, slowly. Don't let them touch you.

HARTIGAN: Oh, but they wouldn't hurt me, my fine boys. They are my knights in shining armour. Quite literally.

DOCTOR: Even if they've converted you, that's not a Cyber speech pattern. You've still got free will. Step away...

HARTIGAN: There's been no conversion, sir. No-one's ever been able to change my mind. The Cybermen offered me the one thing I wanted - liberation.

ROSITA: Who are you?

HARTIGAN: You can be quiet. I doubt he paid you to talk. More importantly, who are you, sir, With such intimate knowledge of my companions?

DOCTOR: I'm The Doctor.

CYBERMAN: Incorrect. You do not correspond to our image of The Doctor.

DOCTOR: Yeah, that's cos your database got corrupted. Oh, look, look, look! Check this! The Doctor's infostamp. (throws the infostamp at the Cyberman) Plug it in. Go on, download.

CYBERMAN: The core has been damaged. This infostamp would damage Cyberunits.

DOCTOR: Oh, well. Nice try.

The CYBERMAN holds the infostamp in his hand as it beeps.

CYBERMAN: Core repaired. Download. (its chest unit opens and it inserts the infostamp and images of the DOCTOR flash in its eye) You are The Doctor. (removes infostamp)

DOCTOR: Hello! (waves)

CYBERMAN: You will be deleted.

DOCTOR: (stutters) Oh, but let me die happy! Tell me - what d'you need those children for?

HARTIGAN: What are children ever needed for? They're a workforce.

DOCTOR: But for what?

HARTIGAN: Very soon now, the whole Empire will see. And they will bow down, in worship.

DOCTOR: And it's all been timed for Christmas Day. Was that your idea, Miss...?

HARTIGAN: Hartigan. And, yes, it’s the perfect day for a birth, with a new message for the people. Only this time, it won't be the words of a man.

DOCTOR: The birth of what?

HARTIGAN: A birth, and a death. Namely, yours. Thank you, Doctor. I'm glad to have been part of your very last conversation. Now, delete them.

The DOCTOR moves in front of ROSITA as the CYBERMEN advance. A beam of energy hits them from behind as JACKSON aims an infostamp at them and they collapse.

JACKSON: At your service, Doctor.

HARTIGAN: Shades! Shades!

DOCTOR: (grabs ROSITA) Run! Come on!

HARTIGAN: Shades!

ROSITA: One last thing. (punches HARTIGAN in the face and she falls to the ground)

DOCTOR: Can I say, I completely disapprove! Come on!

HARTIGAN: (to Shades) Get off me. I said, get off! Tell your masters, we're not waiting till dawn. The CyberKing will rise... tonight!

EXT. STREET, NIGHT

The DOCTOR, JACKSON and ROSITA stop for a breather.

DOCTOR: That stronghold down by the river. I need to find a way in.

JACKSON: I'm ahead of you! My wife and I were moving to London so I could take up a post at the university. And while my memory is still not intact, this was in the luggage. (pulls out legal documents) The deeds - 15 Latimer Street. And if I discovered the Cybermen there, in the cellar, then...

DOCTOR: That might be a way in! Brilliant!

JACKSON: But there's still more. I remember the cellar...and my wife. But I swear there was something else in that room. (flashes) If we can find that, perhaps that's the key to defeating these invaders. So...onwards! (heads off followed by ROSITA)

DOCTOR: Maybe you should go back...

ROSITA: Don't even try!

DOCTOR: No.

INT. CYBERMEN BASE, NIGHT

CYBERLEADER: You have wisdom. If The Doctor is planning to intervene, then the Ascension will commence immediately.

HARTIGAN: Excellent. And as for you, Mr Cole, Mr Scoones, Mr Fetch and Mr Milligan, your work is done.

Miss HARTIGAN flips a lever and the men are electrocuted by the implants. She then turns and steps through a door into a cavernous room where the orphans are slaving away.

HARTIGAN: Children! Pay attention! Now let the new Industrial Revolution begin. I want to see you work!

The children continue to carry, shovel coal and manually turn gears while Cybermen watch.

CYBERMAN: Energy levels 60% and rising.

CYBERLEADER: Soon the CyberKing will awake.

HARTIGAN: Then show me. (wraps her arm through that of the CYBERLEADER like she would any Victorian gentleman)

INT. CELLAR, 15 LATIMER STREET, NIGHT

JACKSON enters the cellar to find a CYBERMAN.

JACKSON kills it with an infostamp. The DOCTOR and ROSITA join him. The DOCTOR runs into the cellar where a device is set up in the middle of the floor.

DOCTOR: Must've been guarding this. A Dimension Vault! Stolen from the Daleks again, that's how the Cybermen travelled through time. Jackson, is this the thing you couldn't remember?

JACKSON: I don't think so. I'm... I just can't see. It's like it's hidden.

DOCTOR: Yeah, not enough power. Come on! Avanti! (runs off)

Still holding the CYBERLEADER’S arm, Miss HARTIGAN stops when she sees what is before her.

HARTIGAN: Oh, that is magnificent.

Across a narrow bridge is a throne flanked by two Cybermen.

HARTIGAN: That is royalty, indeed. And that's quite a throne. Oh, you will look resplendent.

CYBERLEADER: The chair you designate as "throne" is not intended for me. My function is to serve the CyberKing, not to become the CyberKing.

HARTIGAN: Then who sits there?

The CYBERLEADER turns to face her.

HARTIGAN: (realizing) No! Now, just...I think if you remember correctly, you said I was to be heralded.

CYBERLEADER: All hail the CyberKing.

CYBERMEN: All hail the CyberKing.

HARTIGAN: But you promised I would never be converted!

CYBERLEADER: That was designated a "lie".

INT. UNDERGROUND TUNNELS, NIGHT

The DOCTOR proceeds cautiously followed by ROSITA and JACKSON.

ROSITA: What do the Cybermen want?

DOCTOR: They want us. That's what Cybermen are - human beings with their brains put into metal shells. They want every living thing to be like them.

Miss HARTIGAN is strapped to the chair and the Cybermen walk back across the bridge.

HARTIGAN: You can't do this to me! (struggles)

CYBERLEADER: Incorrect. It is done.

HARTIGAN: But I would have served you anyway!

CYBERLEADER: Your mind is riven with anger and abuse and revenge. These have no place in a Cybermind. Activate!

A helmet-like device lowers from above the chair.

CYBERLEADER: Emotions have tormented you all of your life. Now you will be set free. This is your liberation.

HARTIGAN: For the love of God! Have you no pity?

CYBERLEADER: Correct.

The device clamps onto Miss HARTIGAN’S head and electricity charges through her. She gasps when it is done.

CYBERLEADER: A CyberKing is born.

CYBERMEN: All hail the CyberKing.

When Miss HARTIGAN opens her eyes, they are completely black.

INT. UNDERGROUND TUNNELS, NIGHT

The DOCTOR, ROSITA and JACKSON have found the workroom where the children are.

JACKSON: Upon my soul.

ROSITA: What is it?

DOCTOR: It's an engine. They're generating electricity. But what for?

JACKSON: (makes to go forward) We can set them free!

DOCTOR: No, no, no, no, no, no, no...(runs back the way they came)

INT. CYBERMEN BASE, CYBERKING, NIGHT

HARTIGAN: I hold such information!

INT. CYBERMEN BASE, POWER ROOM, NIGHT

The DOCTOR checks the power readings.

DOCTOR: Power at 90%! But if we stop the engine, the power dies down, the Cybermen will come running. Ooh. (taps read-out) Hold on. Power fluctuation. That's not meant to happen.

JACKSON: It's going wrong?

DOCTOR: No, it's weird. The software's rewriting itself. It's changing.

HARTIGAN: (distorted voice) I can see the stars, the worlds beyond, the Vortex of Time itself and the whole of infinity. Oh, but this is glorious!

CYBERLEADER: That is incorrect. "Glorious" is an emotional response.

HARTIGAN: Exactly! There is so much joy in this machine.

CYBERLEADER: Joy is not acceptable.

HARTIGAN: Don't you see? My mind is stronger than you ever thought! It dominates, sir! It dominates you!

CYBERLEADER: Alert! You are operating beyond the standard parameters.

HARTIGAN: I am new. The might of your technology combined with my own imagination. Yes! There will be a new race of Cybermen. MY Cybermen! Logic and strength combined with fury and passion!

CYBERLEADER: Diagnosis, system failure! You will be removed from the processor.

The CYBERLEADER walks forward but Miss HARTIGAN sh**t a beam of energy from the device attached to her head and kills him.

The DOCTOR steps back as there is a surge.

DOCTOR: What the hell's happening? It's out of control!

JACKSON: It's accelerating. 96%, 97...

ROSITA: When it reaches 100, what about the children?

DOCTOR: They're disposable. Come on! (runs back)

HARTIGAN: I am CyberKing. My mind inside the Cybermen. And you will obey me!

CYBERMEN: All hail the CyberKing!

A CYBERMAN checks the power.

CYBERMAN: Power levels now at 100%. Delete the workforce.

An alarm sounds.

CYBERMAN 2: Delete.

INT. CYBERMEN BASE, ENGINE ROOM, NIGHT

The CYBERMEN receive their orders.

CYBERMEN: Delete. Delete.

The DOCTOR runs in as JACKSON and ROSITA use the infostamps.

DOCTOR: Right. Now! All of you, out! D'you hear me? That's an order! Every single one of you, run!

The children run for the exit.

JACKSON: All of you, come on! As fast as you can, come on!

DOCTOR: There's a hot pie for everyone, if you leg it!

JACKSON: Go!

DOCTOR: Rosita, get them out of the sluice gate! And once you're out, keep running! Far as you can! (to children) Come on, come on, come on.

ROSITA: Turn right at the corner! Fast as you can, and don't stop! Keep running, keep running!

HARTIGAN: Come, my soldiers. Come to me.

The Cybermen and Shades join her.

The children rush out the doors with ROSITA.

ROSITA: Come on, come on! Quick! Keep running! Keep running!

The children run away through the streets.

The DOCTOR urges the last of the remaining children out.

DOCTOR: Go! Quick, quick. (checks the gauge just inside the door) It's some sort of starter motor, but starting what?

JACKSON watches as some boys run down from the higher reaches. He has another flash and remembers that the Cybermen abducted his son. He looks up, and, on the very top level is a little boy frozen with fear. JACKSON remembers.

JACKSON: That's my son... My son. Doctor, my son!

DOCTOR: (runs over) What?! (looks up)

JACKSON: They took my son. No wonder my mind escaped! Those damned Cybermen, they took my child. But he's alive, Doctor! Frederic!

DOCTOR: (to FREDERIC) Come on!

JACKSON: No, he's too scared. Stay there! Don't move! I'm coming.

JACKSON heads for the stairs but there is a large expl*si*n and fire bocks that route.

HARTIGAN: CyberKing rising.

The structure rises.

The DOCTOR helps JACKSON to his feet.

JACKSON: I can't get up there. Fred!

DOCTOR: They've finished with the motor. It's going to blow up.

JACKSON: What are we going to do, Doctor?! What are we going to do?!

DOCTOR: Come on, Jackson. (pulls out the cutlass from Fairchild’s and wraps his arm around a rope) You know me. (cuts rope and the weight falling on the other end lifts him to FREDERIC) Oh, that's it. Hello! Now, hold on tight. Don't let go. (FREDERIC climbs onto his back and the DOCTOR swings off the platform)

The Cyberking continues to rise.

The DOCTOR comes out of the fire and smoke holding FREDERIC and hands him to JACKSON.

DOCTOR: Merry Christmas!

JACKSON hugs his son tightly and cries.

ROSITA gives one of the children directions.

ROSITA: Go to St Stephen's. Ask for the Warden, he'll take care of you. Now run! Quickly!

The girl runs away and ROSITA heads back.

The DOCTOR and JACKSON try to navigate the way out around fire and explosions.

EXT. STREET, NIGHT

As ROSITA runs back, she encounters people running the other way. One man stops to explain.

MAN: It's under the water! There's something in the Thames!

ROSITA stops at the river’s edge and sees the Cyberking rise from the water. It is a steampunk Cyberman that towers over the city.

INT. CELLAR, 15 LATIMER STREET, NIGHT

JACKSON enters followed by the DOCTOR.

DOCTOR: Head for the street.

An expl*si*n comes through the tunnel. The DOCTOR stops and takes a scepter from the device in the cellar.

JACKSON: Come on, Doctor! Hurry up!

DOCTOR: Gotcha!

EXT. LONDON, CYBERKING, NIGHT

From her vantage point in the Cyberking’s "mouth" Miss HARTIGAN addresses London.

HARTIGAN: Behold! I am risen! Witness me, mankind, as CyberKing of all!

EXT. STREET, NIGHT

The DOCTOR and JACKSON—holding FREDERIC—reach the river.

DOCTOR: It's a CyberKing.

JACKSON: And a CyberKing is what?

DOCTOR: It's a ship! Dreadnought class! Front line of an invasion. And inside the chest, a Cyberfactory, ready to convert millions!

HARTIGAN: And I will walk! I will stride across this tiny little world!

EXT. STREET, NIGHT

As the Cyberking walks through London like Godzilla through Tokyo, people run screaming in the streets.

HARTIGAN: My people. Why do they not rejoice?

EXT. STREET, NIGHT

The DOCTOR stops running with JACKSON.

DOCTOR: Take him south, go to the parkland.

JACKSON: But where are you going?!

DOCTOR: To stop that thing.

JACKSON: I should be with you!

DOCTOR: Jackson, you've got your son. You've got a reason to live.

JACKSON: And you haven't? (the DOCTOR only looks at him) God save you, Doctor.

The DOCTOR runs off as JACKSON and FREDERIC head south.

INT. STABLES, NIGHT

The DOCTOR runs into the stables and begins to go through the trunks. JED is there and stands as the DOCTOR enters and sets down the rod.

JED: What the hell is that thing, sir?

DOCTOR: Oh, good man. Jed, wasn't it? Jed, I need your help! (pulls out another strap of infostamps)

JED: I'm not going out there!

DOCTOR: I'll give you five pound notes!

JED: Um... All right. What d'you want me to do?

DOCTOR: The TARDIS is gonna fly!

The DOCTOR runs out to the stable yard followed by JED.

HARTIGAN: People of the world! Now hear me. Your governments will surrender. And if not, then behold my power! (begins f*ring on the city)

EXT. STABLE YARD, NIGHT

The DOCTOR tosses the infostamps into the basket under the balloon then jumps in.

JED: You're flamin' bonkers, sir!

DOCTOR: It's been said before! Now gimme. (JED hands him the sceptre) Not enough power, come on! Jed! Let her loose!

JED runs to the ropes securing the balloon and begins to untie them.

JED: Ever flown one of these before?

DOCTOR: Nope! Never! (pulls the ropes inside)

JED: Can I have my money now?

DOCTOR: Oh, get on with it!

EXT. STREET, NIGHT

Running in opposite directions, ROSITA and JACKSON find each other.

ROSITA: Oh, sir. I thought I'd lost you.

JACKSON: My son, Rosita. This boy is my son.

One of the blasts from the Cyberking lands near them and they take shelter.

EXT. STABLE YARD, NIGHT

JED unties the last rope and the balloon floats upwards.

JED: God’s luck to you, sir! (laughs)

EXT. STREET, NIGHT

JACKSON and ROSITA look up and see the balloon rising behind the Cyberking.

JACKSON: It's the TARDIS. She's flying!

INT. BALLOON, NIGHT

The DOCTOR throws out the sandbags in order to go higher.

EXT. STREET, NIGHT

A young MAN comes up and stops in front of JACKSON and ROSITA.

MAN: Who the 'ell is that?!

JACKSON: (proudly) His name, sir... is The Doctor!

INT. BALLOON, NIGHT

The DOCTOR looks around to judge his direction.

An alarm goes off.

CYBERMAN: Attention. Proximity alert!

HARTIGAN: How is that even possible? Oh, this I would see. TURN!

The Cyberking swivels so that is facing the DOCTOR.

INT. BALLOON, NIGHT

The DOCTOR prepares the infostamps.

HARTIGAN: Excellent. The Doctor! Yet another man come to assert himself against me in the night.

INT. BALLOON, NIGHT

DOCTOR: Miss Hartigan, I'm offering you a choice.

DOCTOR: (v.o.)
You might have the most remarkable mind this world has ever seen.

INT. BALLOON, NIGHT

DOCTOR: Strong enough to control the Cybermen themselves!

HARTIGAN: I don't need you to sanction me.

INT. BALLOON, NIGHT

DOCTOR: No, but such a mind deserves to live!

The Cybermen came to this world using a Dimension Vault.

INT. BALLOON, NIGHT

DOCTOR: I can use that device to find you a home. With no people to convert. But a new world where you can live out your mechanical life in peace.

HARTIGAN: I have the world below, and it is abundant with so many minds, ready to become extensions of me. Why would I leave this place?

INT. BALLOON, NIGHT

DOCTOR: Because if you don't, I'll have to stop you.

HARTIGAN: What do you make of me, sir? An idiot?

INT. BALLOON, NIGHT

DOCTOR: No. The question is, what do you make of me? (aims the infostamp at the Cyberking)

HARTIGAN: Destroy him!

INT. BALLOON, NIGHT

DOCTOR: You make me into this. (fires)

EXT. STREET, NIGHT

JACKSON and ROSITA are now amidst a crowd watching the encounter.

The beam hits the device on Miss HARTIGAN’S head. When the energy has run its course, she is unharmed.

HARTIGAN: Then I have made you a failure. Your weapons are useless, sir.

INT. BALLOON, NIGHT

DOCTOR: I wasn't trying to k*ll you. All I did was break the Cyber-connection,

leaving your mind open. Open, I think, for the first time in far too many years,

Miss HARTIGAN’S eyes have returned to normal.

so you can see. Just look at yourself. Look at what you've done.

The Cybermen turn on her as the connection is broken.

I'm sorry, Miss Hartigan.

INT. BALLOON, NIGHT

DOCTOR: But look at what you’ve become.

Miss HARTIGAN realizes what she has done and knows what is going to happen as she is still strapped into the chair beside Cybermen she no longer controls. She screams.

INT. BALLOON, NIGHT

DOCTOR: I'm so sorry.

Miss HARTIGAN continues to scream and the energy from her brain is still channeled through the machine, destroying the Cybermen and then herself. The Cyberking begins to stagger as explosions go off throughout its body.

EXT. STREET, NIGHT

JACKSON: He's k*lled it. Whatever he did, he's k*lled it!

ROSITA: But it's gonna fall!

Everyone runs, trying to escape the toppling colossus.

INT. BALLOON, NIGHT

There is a beeping and the DOCTOR picks up the Dimensional Vault.

DOCTOR: Oh. Now you're ready!

The DOCTOR aims the device at the CYBERKING and fires. The alien ship disappears just as it begins to fall.

EXT. STREET, NIGHT

JACKSON: I'd say he used that Dimension Vault to transfer the wreckage of the CyberKing into the Time Vortex, there to be harmlessly disintegrated. (chuckles) Oh, I've picked up a lot. But here...(sets FREDERIC down by ROSITA and stands on the base of a lamp post) Ladies and gentlemen, I know that man! That Doctor on high! And I know that he has done this deed a thousand times! But not once, no, sir, not once, not ever, has he ever been thanked! But no more! For I say to you, on this Christmas morn, "Bravo, sir! Bravo!"

The crowd begins to cheer and applaud.

INT. BALLOON, NIGHT

The applause carries up to the DOCTOR, taking him away from his melancholy thoughts.

EXT. STREET, NIGHT

JACKSON: Bravo! Bravo, sir!

INT. BALLOON, NIGHT

THE DOCTOR waves down.

EXT. STREET, NIGHT

The crowd rejoices.

INT. BALLOON, NIGHT

THE DOCTOR rings the bell.

EXT. STREET, NIGHT

JACKSON: Bravo, Doctor. (salutes)

INT. BALLOON, NIGHT

THE DOCTOR leans on the basket rail and seems to take time to enjoy his position.

EXT. MARKETPLACE, NIGHT

The DOCTOR and JACKSON walk through the market as others try to right tipped over stalls and talk of what

happened.

JACKSON: The city will recover, as London always does. Though the events of today will be history, spoken of for centuries to come!

DOCTOR: Yeah. Funny that.

JACKSON: And a new history begins for me. I find myself a widower, but with my son and with a good friend.

JACKSON looks back to see ROSITA with FREDERIC, JED standing beside them.

DOCTOR: Now, take care of that one. She's marvellous.

JACKSON: Frederic will need a nursemaid and I can think of none better. But you're welcome to join us. We thought we might all dine together, at the Traveller's Halt,

The DOCTOR looks away, but JACKSON will not give up.

JACKSON: a Christmas feast, in celebration, and in memory of those we have lost. You won't stay?

DOCTOR: Like I said, you know me.

They approach the TARDIS.

JACKSON: No, I don't think anyone does. (sees the TARDIS) Oh! And this is it! Oh, if I might, Doctor? One last adventure?

DOCTOR: Oh, be my guest. (unlocks the door)

JACKSON: Oh...

INT. TARDIS

JACKSON pauses on the ramp.

JACKSON: Oh, my word. Oh. (walks up to the console) Oh, goodness me. But this is... But this is nonsense!

DOCTOR: (hurt) Well, that's one word for it!

JACKSON: Complete and utter, wonderful nonsense! How very, very silly! Oh, no. I can't bear it! Oh, it's causing my head to ache. No, no, no, no, no, no, no... (runs out)

EXT. MARKETPLACE, NIGHT

JACKSON: Oh! Oh, gracious. That's quite enough.

The DOCTOR closes the door behind him.

JACKSON: I take it this is goodbye.

DOCTOR: Onwards and upwards.

JACKSON: Tell me one thing. All those facts and figures I saw of The Doctor's life, you were never alone. All those bright and shining companions! But not any more?

DOCTOR: No.

JACKSON: Might I ask, why not?

DOCTOR: They leave. Because they should, or they find someone else. And some of them… Some of them forget me. I suppose, in the end…they break my heart.

JACKSON: That offer of Christmas dinner, it's no longer a request, it's a demand.

DOCTOR: In memory of those we’ve lost. (JACKSON nods) Oh, go on then!

JACKSON: Really?

DOCTOR: Just this once. You've actually gone and changed my mind. Not many people can do that! Jackson, if anyone had to be The Doctor, I'm glad it was you.

JACKSON: The feast awaits. Come with me! Walk this way.

DOCTOR: (checks TARDIS door) I certainly will!

The two men walk away from the TARDIS.

DOCTOR: Merry Christmas to you, Jackson.

JACKSON: Merry Christmas, indeed, Doctor!

DOCTOR WHO
Will return in
"City of the Dead"