2009-11-15 - The Waters of Mars

Doctor Who Special Episode transcripts. This collection spans from November 25, 1983 to present.*

Moderator: Kitty Midnight

The further adventures of the renegade Time Lord, Doctor Who and his companions, from cross-overs to Christmas Specials. 2016-12-25 - "The Return of Doctor Mysterio"

Watch/Buy Amazon  Merchandise  Collectibles

Classic Who   NuWho  

2009-11-15 - The Waters of Mars

Post by bunniefuu »

We see static on a screen as a picture tries to come through. Finally it does. A young woman is sitting on a couch, baby on her lap.

WOMAN: Hello, Mum! Susie says hello, don't you, sweetheart? (holds baby’s arm) That's it. Give a little wave.

INT. BASE

An older woman is watching the screen, smiling at her daughter and granddaughter.

WOMAN: (onscreen)
Erm... oh, what was I gonna say? Uncle Soon called in, he says hello. Erm... he keeps saying, "You must be missing her." I said, "She's been gone for over two years now, I'm getting used to it!" (static returns) Oh, no, it's breaking up. It must be the solar flares.

WOMAN 2: Talk faster.

WOMAN: (onscreen)
About the deposit on the house... Ooh... Erm, I've spoken to the bank... (the connection is lost)

EXT. MARS SURFACE

The TARDIS materializes in the middle of nowhere and the DOCTOR steps out wearing a spacesuit.

DOCTOR: The Red Planet.

With a smile, he sets off to explore.

EXT. BASE

A man in a spacesuit steps out of the airlock as alarms blare. He is carrying some equipment.

MAN: (on radio)
Sun sets in ten minutes, Yuri. You're gonna lose the light.

WOMAN: (on radio)
That's it. Got you on External Ten.

CONTINUED, INTERCUT WITH –

- CUT TO:

INT. BASE, CONTROL

A young ASIAN WOMAN is watching YURI on the screens. An older man also watches.

YURI: (over radio)
Almost there. That's the radial clamp down. One more thing.

MAN: Get back inside. You're using power and oxygen.

Oh, hold on. Get this on camera. (holds up a sign reading "No Trespassers") What do you think?

ASIAN WOMAN: Hey, looks good! Nice one, Yuri.

MAN: You wasted an entire solar panel just to make that.

Oh, lighten up. It's a joke.

MAN: We come all this way, to an empty planet, untouched by civilisation, and what do we do? Put up cheap jokes. That's not funny, that's pollution.

The WOMAN we saw earlier talking to her daughter enters the room.

WOMAN 1: Having fun?

MAN: I was just telling him….

WOMAN 1:
I expect better of you, Ed. Now get back to work, all of you.

EXT. MARS SURFACE

The DOCTOR stops on a ledge, looks out and smiles.

DOCTOR: Ohh, beautiful.

He is looking down on the base. There is one large center dome with six corridors radiating out. Five connect to smaller domes and one leads to a rocket. A device is pressed into his back.

ROBOTIC VOICE: Rotate, slowly.

The DOCTOR puts his arms up and turns around slowly.

ROBOTIC VOICE: You are under arrest, for trespassing. Gadget-gadget.

The DOCTOR sees a robot holding a g*n on him.

David Tennant
Lindsay Duncan

DOCTOR WHO
"The Waters of Mars"
by Russell T. Davies
And
Phil Ford

Producer
Nikki Wilson

Director
Graeme Harper

INT. BASE, CONTROL

WOMAN 1 holds a g*n to the DOCTOR.

WOMAN 1: State your name, rank, and intention.

DOCTOR: The Doctor. Doctor. Fun.

A man opens the door to the main section and peers down.

MAN 1: What the hell?! (runs to the steps) It's a man! A man on Mars! (joins them) How?

A young GERMAN WOMAN holds the DOCTOR’S spacesuit.

GERMAN WOMAN: He was wearing this thing. I have never seen anything like it.

MAN 1: What did Mission Control say?

GERMAN WOMAN: They're out of range for ten hours with the solar flares.

WOMAN 1: If we could cut the chat, everyone.

DOCTOR: Actually, chat's second on my list, the first being g*n, pointed at my head. Which then puts my head second and chat third, I think. g*n, head, chat, yeah. I hate lists. But you could hurt someone with that, just... put it down.

WOMAN 1: Oh, you'd like that.

DOCTOR: Can you find me someone who wouldn't?

WOMAN 1: Why should I trust you?

DOCTOR: Because I give you my word. And, 40 million miles away from home, my word is all you've got.

WOMAN 1: (lowers g*n) Keep Gadget covering him.

A YOUNG MAN standing next to the robot from earlier, nods. He is wearing gloves that give him motor control over the robot.

GADGET: Gadget-gadget!

DOCTOR: Oh, right, so you control that thing? Auto-glove response?

YOUNG MAN: You got it. (demonstrates) To the right...

GADGET: (moves right) Gadget-gadget!

YOUNG MAN: And to the left.

GADGET moves left.

DOCTOR: It's a bit flimsy.

The YOUNG MAN glares at the DOCTOR.

DOCTOR: Does it have to keep saying that?

YOUNG MAN: I think it's funny.

DOCTOR: I hate funny robots.

WOMAN 2: (over radio)
Excuse me, boss. Computer log says we've got an extra person on site.

- CUT TO:

INT. BASE, BIO-DOME

A young BLACK WOMAN is speaking into her radio.

BLACK WOMAN: How's that possible?

WOMAN 1: Keep the Bio-dome closed. And when using open comms you call me Captain.

BLACK WOMAN: Yeah, but... who is it? (radio disconnects) Disconnected! She's cut me off. Can you believe her? It's like we're just... gardeners!

An OLDER MAN is shoveling dirt into a container of plants.

OLDER MAN: As long as they leave us alone, that's fine with me. Oh, you beauties! (pulls out two large carrots) Look at this!

BLACK WOMAN: Better start planting some more, if there's an extra mouth to feed.

The OLDER MAN rinses the carrots under a faucet.

OLDER MAN: The very first garden off Earth. Everything brand-new. Eden. That's what we should've called this place. (takes a bite of carrot)

BLACK WOMAN: It's the Philippines. I bet. If there's someone else on Mars, it's got to be the Philippines.

Unnoticed by the BLACK WOMAN, the OLDER MAN falls to his knees.

BLACK WOMAN: All those stories about them building a rocket.

He shakes and convulses behind her.

BLACK WOMAN: All those stories about them building a rocket. (scoffs) Adelaide's gonna love that! Stealing her thunder. Mind you, worth it to see her face. Or it could be the Spanish. They've kept that spacelink project under wraps.

He has stopped convulsing when she turns to him.

BLACK WOMAN: Didn't your sister work for them? (when he doesn’t move, she walks over) Are you all right, mate? Come on, stop mucking about. Andy? Are you OK?

ANDY turns to her, his face around his lips cracked, irises white and his mouth is black. The BLACK WOMAN screams.

INT. BASE, CONTROL

ED: He can't be a World State flight, we'd know about it. Therefore, he's got to be one of the independents, yeah? Was it the Branson inheritance lot? They've talked about a Mars sh*t for years.

DOCTOR: Right, yes, OK, you got me. So I'm the Doctor, and you are?

WOMAN 1: Oh, come on. We're the first off-world colonists in history. Everyone on Planet Earth knows who we are.

DOCTOR: You're the first? (looks around) Then... this is...

DOCTOR and WOMAN 1: Bowie Base One.

DOCTOR: Number one? Founded July 1st, 2058. Established Bowie Base One in the Gusev Crater...(flashes to an online news page) You've been here how long?

WOMAN 1: 17 months.

DOCTOR: 2059. It's 2059, right now. (another flash to news page showing the woman) OHH! My head is so stupid, you're Captain Adelaide Brooke!(flash: d*ed 2059) And Ed! You're Deputy Edward Gold. (d*ed 2059) Tarak Ital, MD. (d*ed 2059) Nurse Yuri Kerenski. (d*ed 2059) Senior Technician Steffi Ehrlich. (d*ed 2059) Junior Technician Roman Groom. (d*ed 2059) Geologist Mia Bennett. (d*ed 2059) You're only 27 years old.

ADELAIDE: As I said, Doctor, everyone knows our names.

DOCTOR: Oh, they'll never forget them. (flashes on an expl*si*n) What's the date, today? What is it? Tell me the exact date.

ADELAIDE: November 21st 2059.

The DOCTOR flashes on another article "Bowie Base Destroyed, World in Mourning. Nuclear Blast Crater - November 21, 2059."

DOCTOR: Right. OK, fine.

STEFFI: Is there something wrong?

MIA: What's so important about my age?

DOCTOR: I should... go. I... really should go. I'm sorry. I'm sorry with all of my hearts, but it's one of those very rare times when I've got no choice. It's been an honour. (shakes all their hands) Seriously, a... very great honour to meet you all. The Martian pioneers. Oh, thank you. Ah! (taps GADGET)

GADGET: Gadget-gadget.

DOCTOR: (salutes ADELAIDE) Thank you. (stops) There's the other two. Hold on... Margaret Cain and Andrew Stone.

The DOCTOR flashes on the obituaries on both: d*ed 2059. ED walks over to one of the computers.

ED: Maggie... if you want to meet the only new human being that you're gonna see in the next five years, better come take a look.

A loud snarling comes over the tannoy.

MIA: What was that?

DOCTOR: Ohh, I really should go.

ED: This is Central. Bio-dome report immediately.

ADELAIDE comes to stand beside ED at the monitor.

ADELAIDE: Show me the Bio-dome.

ED brings up security footage but only static appears.

ED: Internal cameras are down.

ADELAIDE: Show me the exterior.

ED pulls the camera feed up and they see the lights in the bio-dome go out.

ADELAIDE: I'm going over. Doctor, with me.

DOCTOR: Yeah... I'm sorry, erm... I'd love to help, but I'm leaving, right now.

ADELAIDE: (to STEFFI) Take his spacesuit, lock it up. (STEFFI takes the suit) This started as soon as you arrived, so you're not going anywhere, except with me.

INT. BASE, BIO-DOME TUNNEL

The DOCTOR, ADELAIDE and TARAK are walking along the dark corridor with only the light from their torches and intermittent lights on the wall to show the way. GADGET follows.

ADELAIDE: What's so important about Mia's age? You said she's only 27, why does it matter, what did you mean?

DOCTOR: Oh, I just... open my mouth and words come out. They don't make much sense.

TARAK: You’re telling me.

DOCTOR: Thank you, doctor.

TARAK: Any time, Doctor.

DOCTOR: I hate robots. Did I say?

- CUT TO:

INT. BASE, CONTROL

ROMAN is sitting at his station, watching their movements via GADGET’S camera.

ROMAN: Yeah, and he's not too fond of you. What's wrong with robots?

DOCTOR: It's not the robots, it's the people. Dressing them up and giving them silly voices, like you're reducing them.

ROMAN: Yeah. Friend of mine, she made her domestic robot look like a dog.

DOCTOR: Ah, well, dogs, that's different.

ROMAN: But I adapted Gadget out of the worker drones. Those things are huge! They built this place when the shell was lowered down from orbit. They've got a strength capacity of...

ADELAIDE: The channel is open for essential communications only.

ROMAN: Sorry. Love those drones.

DOCTOR: I've read all that stuff about you, Captain Adelaide. But one thing they never said, was it worth it? The mission?

ADELAIDE: We've got excellent results from the soil analysis.

DOCTOR: I know… But all of it. Cos they say you sacrificed everything, devoted your whole life to get here.

ADELAIDE: It's been chaos back home. 40 long years, the climate, the ozone, the oil apocalypse. We almost reached extinction. And to fly above that, to stand on a world with no smoke, where the only straight line is the sunlight, yes. It's worth it.

DOCTOR: Ahh! That's the Adelaide Brooke I always wanted to meet. The woman with starlight in her soul.

ADELAIDE stops when she sees something.

ADELAIDE: What's that?

They run up to where a body is lying on the floor.

ADELAIDE: It's Maggie.

DOCTOR: Don't touch her!

TARAK: I know the procedure. Maggie, can you hear me? It's Tarak. Maggie? (rolls her over) It's OK. She's still breathing. She's alive.

The DOCTOR looks down towards the bio-dome.

TARAK: (into radio)
Yuri, I've got Margaret Cain, head trauma. I need a full medpack.

INT. BASE, SICKBAY

YURI grabs the medpack.

YURI: I've got it. Medpack on its way. (runs out)

INT. BASE, CONTROL

ED: I'm going to help! (heads for the door)

STEFFI: In the absence of the Captain, you're in charge, sir! You've got to stay in the Dome!

The door closes behind ED.

INT. BASE, CONTROL

ED and YURI run down the corridor, the latter carrying the medpack and a backboard.

DOCTOR: Don't touch her, use the gloves.

TARAK: Do what he says. Get her to sickbay. Put her in isolation.

ADELAIDE: We're going to the Bio-dome. Tarak, with me, Yuri can take care of her. Ed, go back. Gadget, stand guard. Keep an eye on this area.

ED: Captain, you're gonna need me. Andy's the only other crew member out here, and if that wasn't an accident, then he's gone wild.

ADELAIDE: You've deserted your post. Consider that an official warning. Now, get back to work. Doctor! (heads off)

With a look at the others, the DOCTOR follows ADELAIDE.

INT. BASE, CONTROL

MIA and STEFFI analyze the snarling and find the voice matches that of ANDY. STEFFI uses the radio to contact ADELAIDE.

STEFFI: Captain. That sound we heard from the Bio-dome, I've run it through diagnostics. According to the computer, it's...it's Andy.

- CUT TO:

INT. BASE, BIO-DOME AIRLOCK

STEFFI: (over radio)
It registers as the voice-print of Andy Stone.

ADELAIDE: Understood. Double-check, thanks.

TARAK: Air pressure stabilised.

The airlock door opens and the three step cautiously into the dome.

ADELAIDE: Andrew? Andrew Stone? It's Captain Brooke. Andy, report. I need to see you. Where are you?

The DOCTOR checks the computer, using the sonic screwdriver. The lights come back on.

DOCTOR: There you go.

ADELAIDE: What's that device?

DOCTOR: Screwdriver.

ADELAIDE: Are you the Doctor or the Janitor?

DOCTOR: I don't know, sounds like me. The maintenance man of the universe.

ADELAIDE: You, stay with me, don't step out of my sight. Tarak, go to External Door South, make sure it's intact.

TARAK: Yes, ma'am.

DOCTOR: (looks at the plants) Quite an achievement. First flower on Mars in 10,000 years. And you're growing veg!

ADELAIDE: It's that lot, they're already planning Christmas dinner. Last year it was dehydrated protein, this year they want the real thing.

DOCTOR: Still, fair enough. Christmas.

ADELAIDE: If we must.

Birds chirp.

DOCTOR: You've got birds!

ADELAIDE: It's part of the project, to keep the insect population down.

DOCTOR: Good sign.

ADELAIDE: In what way?

DOCTOR: Well, they're still alive.

Captain? Good news.

INT. BASE, SICKBAY

YURI: It's Maggie. She's awake, she's back with us.

Behind him in isolation, MAGGIE sits on the bed and looks through the window at YURI.

YURI: Hey. How are you, soldier? Just take it easy. Can you remember what happened?

MAGGIE: I was just working. Then I woke... woke up here.

- CUT TO:

INT. BASE, BIO-DOME

ADELAIDE: What about Andy? We can't find him. Was he all right?

MAGGIE: I don't know, I just...

ADELAIDE: If you remember anything, let me know straightaway.

- CUT TO:

INT. BASE, CONTROL

ED: Yuri, does she know how she ended up in the tunnel?

ADELAIDE: And keep the comms clear. Everything goes through me, got that?

ED sighs.

MAGGIE: Come on. Just let me out of here. I'm fine. Just groggy.

YURI: (looks over his shoulder at MAGGIE) You know the rules. 24 hours.

MAGGIE looks at YURI through the window.

INT. BASE, BIO-DOME

TARAK is searching for ANDY.

TARAK: Andy? Andy! Andy! (turns and sees ANDY facing away from him) There you are. Are you all right?

As TARAK approaches, he sees ANDY is literally dripping wet.

TARAK: Andy? (sees the water pouring from ANDY’S hands) Andrew, look at me.

ANDY turns, showing TARAK his face.

INT. BASE, SICKBAY

YURI is playing a video on his monitor of a young man speaking Russian. YURI chuckles.

MAGGIE: Is that your brother?

YURI: Well, it's only a repeat. The solar flares are still up. Are you OK?

MAGGIE: Yeah, just... y'know...

YURI: (turns back to the screen) He makes me laugh, though. It's his husband, he spends money like... an idiot!

Behind him, MAGGIE drops her head and begins shaking and jerking.

YURI: Last year, for Mikhail's birthday, he said, "Don't buy me anything. Let's save money." Georg says, "Fine, OK." His birthday comes around, turns out Georg has bought him a car! (MAGGIE stills) Top of the range. And the thing is, he's used Mikhail's credit stamp! So Mik's saying, that means I bought it myself! Georg says, "It's the thought that counts."

MAGGIE’S head comes back up and she looks different, like ANDY.

MAGGIE: Where does he live?

YURI: Oh, just outside Dagestan.

MAGGIE: Where's that?

YURI: On the Caspian Sea. Here you go. (pulls up a map on the screen)

MAGGIE: By the sea.

YURI: Well, technically it's more of a lake.

MAGGIE: Earth is so much water.

YURI: Yeah. Just look at her. 40 million miles away. (the screen now shows the Earth spinning)

MAGGIE: It has so much beauty. (distorted) We should like that world.

YURI turns and sees MAGGIE, a look of horror on his face. He grabs the radio.

YURI: This is sickbay, we have a situation. Maggie's condition has... I don't know…I don't know what it is. It's water, just... pouring out.

ADELAIDE: (over radio)
Yuri, calm down.

- CUT TO:

INT. BASE, BIO-DOME

ADELAIDE: Just tell me what's happened to her.

YURI: The skin is... sort of broken around the mouth. And she's exuding water, like she's drowning.

ADELAIDE: Tarak, this area's unsafe, we're going back. Tarak? Tarak!

DOCTOR: Where was he?

The DOCTOR and ADELAIDE race across to bio-dome floor to the area TARAK had been searching.

INT. BASE, CONTROL

ED enters the control area, speaking to YURI on the radio.

ED: Yuri, keep her contained. Seal the door at maximum. I'm on my way!

INT. BASE, BIO-DOME

ADELAIDE stops but the DOCTOR keeps going. He comes back and they see TARAK on his knees, convulsing, as ANDY has a hand on the other man’s head, water pouring down it. The DOCTOR and ADELAIDE walk slowly towards them.

DOCTOR: Andy, just leave him alone.

ADELAIDE: (raises her g*n) Step away from him.

The DOCTOR and ADELAIDE’S voices overlap.

DOCTOR: I can help. I promise, I can help. Just leave that man alone.

ADELAIDE: I order you to stop!

DOCTOR: Andy, I’m asking you, please just take your hand away from him and listen to me.

ADELAIDE: Stop, or I'll sh**t!

ANDY looks at them and removes his hand. TARAK collapses to the ground.

DOCTOR: There now, that's better. Hmm? So, you must be Andy. (moves slowly forward) Hello.

TARAK looks at them and he is now like ANDY and MAGGIE.

DOCTOR: (whispers to ADELAIDE) We've got to go.

They quickly run back to the airlock, chased by ANDY and TARAK. ADELAIDE goes in first as the DOCTOR closes the door.

DOCTOR: Set the seals at maximum!

ANDY raises his arm and sh**t water at the door. The DOCTOR jumps back, startled. ANDY lowers his arm and moves to the door. He looks at them through the window before pounding on the door.

INT. BASE, SICKBAY

ED arrives and looks through the window at MAGGIE. She has her hand against the glass, water pouring from it.

ED: What the hell?

INT. BASE, CONTROL

STEFFI and MIA are watching the sickbay on the monitor.

MIA: That's not Maggie. What's happened to her?

STEFFI: (opens communication) Yuri. What IS she? Captain, we need you back here.

- CUT TO:

INT. BASE, AIRLOCK

ADELAIDE: Just tell me that Maggie is contained. Can you confirm, Ed?

- CUT TO:

INT. BASE, SICKBAY

ED: Confirmed. She's locked in.

ADELAIDE: Keep surveillance till I get back. And close down all water supplies. All pipes and outlets, don't consume anything. Have you got that, everyone? That's an order. Don't drink the water. Don't even touch it. Not one drop.

DOCTOR: (to ANDY) Can you talk? (to ADELAIDE) Human beings are 60% water, which makes them the perfect host.

ADELAIDE: What for?

DOCTOR: I don't know. I never will...because I've got to go. Whatever's started here, I can't see it to the end. I can't.

ANDY slams his hands against the door and TARAK joins him. Together, they open their mouths and sh**t water at the door’s seals.

DOCTOR: This thing's airtight, yeah?

ADELAIDE: And therefore watertight.

DOCTOR: Depends how clever the water is.

The control panel starts sparking.

ADELAIDE: They're fusing the system.

DOCTOR: Abandon ship!

ADELAIDE opens the door into the corridor and starts running. The DOCTOR closes the door and follows. ANDY and TARAK make it through and begin to chase them. The DOCTOR stops when they reach GADGET.

ADELAIDE: (breathless) Doctor, we haven't got time!

DOCTOR: They can run faster than us, we need a lift! (uses the sonic on the robot)

INT. BASE, CONTROL

ROMAN feels the shock through his connection to GADGET.

ROMAN: Hey!

The DOCTOR fiddles with the wires.

INT. BASE, CONTROL

ROMAN jerks and screams.

The DOCTOR climbs onto GADGET.

DOCTOR: Get on behind me!

ADELAIDE: That thing goes at two miles an hour!

DOCTOR: Not any more! Trust me.

ADELAIDE climbs up behind him.

DOCTOR: Gadget-gadget!

The DOCTOR starts up GADGET and flames sh**t out from the exhaust and it leaves a trail of flame. TARAK and ANDY still chase after them.

INT. BASE, CONTROL

ROMAN jerks and screams, only stopping when GADGET stops.

The DOCTOR opens the door while ADELAIDE handles the control panel.

ADELAIDE: The Central Dome airlocks have got Hardinger seals. There's no way they can get in.

DOCTOR: (calls to GADGET) Come on, come on!

ADELAIDE: I thought you hated robots!

DOCTOR: I do!

GADGET trundles inside and the DOCTOR closes the door just as ANDY and TARAK reach them.

INT. BASE, AIRLOCK

ADELAIDE: We're safe. It's hermetically sealed. They can't get in.

DOCTOR: Water is patient, Adelaide. Water just waits. It wears down the clifftops, the mountains, the whole of the world. Water always wins. Come on!

They head for the other door.

INT. BASE, CONTROL

ROMAN, STEFFI and MIA are watching the screen as ADELAIDE contacts them.

ADELAIDE: Bio-dome Tunnel is out of bounds. Andy and Tarak are infected, repeat, infected. Make no contact. And if they make any move, tell me. I'm going to the Medical Dome.

INT. BASE, MEDICAL TUNNEL

ADELAIDE strides along the tunnel, the DOCTOR keeping pace.

DOCTOR: Blimey, it's a distance. You could do with bikes in this place.

ADELAIDE: Every pound in weight equals three tons of fuel.

DOCTOR: Yeah, I know, but bikes…

INT. BASE, SICKBAY

ADELAIDE and the DOCTOR arrive. ED is just watching MAGGIE as she stands at the window.

ADELAIDE: Has that door got a Hardinger seal?

ED: No, just basic.

ADELAIDE: Then the moment she heads for the door, we evacuate. Got that?

ED: Pulse is low. Electrical activity in the brain seems to be going haywire.

ADELAIDE: Can she talk?

YURI: Don't know. She was before we noticed the change, but...

ADELAIDE: Maggie? Can you hear me? Do you know who I am? Your commanding officer, Captain Adelaide Brooke. Can you tell me what happened?

MAGGIE turns her head to look at the DOCTOR.

DOCTOR: Hoorghwall in schtochman ahn warrellinsh och fortabellan iin hoorgwahn.

ED: What language is that?

DOCTOR: Ancient North Martian.

ADELAIDE: Don't be ridiculous.

ED: It's like she recognised it.

DOCTOR: And her eyes are different. They're clear, like she's closer to human.

ED: Not close enough for me.

DOCTOR: Where do you get your water from?

ADELAIDE: The ice field. That's why we chose the crater, we're on top of an underground glacier.

DOCTOR: Tons of water. Marvellous.

YURI: But every single drop is filtered. It's screened, it's safe.

DOCTOR: Looks like it, yeah.

ED: If something was frozen down there, a viral life form, held in the ice for all those years...

DOCTOR: Look at her mouth. All blackened, like there's some sort of fission. This thing, whatever it is, doesn't just hide in water, it CREATES water. (to MAGGIE) Tell me what you want.

YURI: She was looking at the screen, at Earth. She wanted Earth. A world full of water.

ED: Captain, with me. (walks to the other side of the room and ADELAIDE follows) I'm sorry, but it's an unknown infection and it's spreading. That demands Action Procedure One.

ADELAIDE: You think I don't know that?

ED: I think you need reminding.

ADELAIDE: Yeah.

ED: Well, at least I'm good for something.

ADELAIDE: Now and again.

ED: That's almost a compliment. Things must be serious.

DOCTOR: Sorry, sorry, but... Action One, that means evacuation, yeah?

ADELAIDE: We're going home. (into radio) This is Captain Brooke. I'm declaring Action One, repeat to all crewmembers, this is Action One, with immediate effect. Evacuate the base.

INT. BASE, CONTROL

As the alarm blares, STEFFI delegates duties.

STEFFI: I'll store the Central Computer, Mia, strip the cargo down to essentials. Roman, on your feet!

ROMAN: But we came all this way.

STEFFI: (packing) And you can kiss that robot goodbye, it's too heavy. Now shove it in storage and hurry up!

Steffi, what's your estimate on shuttle viability?

STEFFI: It's a nine-month flight, it'll take three hours to load what we need.

You've got 20 minutes. And give me a report on Andy and Tarak.

STEFFI: (checks monitor) Still in the Bio-dome Tunnel. They're just standing there, like they're waiting.

INT. BASE, SICKBAY

ADELAIDE: Keep an eye on them. And make that 20 minutes 15! Ed, line up the shuttle, go straight to ignition status.

ED: Doing it now. (leaves)

YURI: But what about Maggie?

ADELAIDE: (packing supplies) She stays behind. We've got no way to contain her on board. Close this place down. I want the power directed to the shuttle.

The DOCTOR watches, a sad, resigned look on his face. Decided, he approaches ADELAIDE.

DOCTOR: Of course, the only problem is...

ADELAIDE: Thank you, Doctor, your spacesuit will be returned. And good luck to you.

DOCTOR: The problem is, this thing is clever. It didn't infect the birds or the insects in the Bio-dome, it chose the humans. You were chosen. And I told you, Adelaide, water can wait. Tarak changed straight away, but when Maggie was infected it stayed hidden inside her, no doubt, so it could infiltrate the Central Dome. Which means...

ADELAIDE: Any one of us could already be infected. We've all been drinking the same water.

DOCTOR: And if you take that back to Earth... One drop, just one drop…

ADELAIDE: But we're only presuming infection. If we can find out how this thing got through, when it got through... Yuri, continue with Action One. I'm going to inspect the ice-field. (heads for the door)

The DOCTOR stands there, hands in his pockets, as YURI continues to pack.

DOCTOR: Right. I should leave. Finally, I should leave. Yuri, me old mate, no point in me seeing the ice-field. (crosses his arms) No point at all. No. (bangs head against cabinet before running after her) Adelaide!

INT. BASE, MEDICAL TUNNEL

ADELAIDE runs down the tunnel. The DOCTOR runs to catch up.

DOCTOR: All I'm saying is bikes. Little foldaway bikes. Don't weigh a thing.

INT. BASE, SICKBAY

YURI finishes packing and heads for the door. He pauses with a glance at MAGGIE.

YURI: I'm sorry.

YURI shuts off the power and closes the door. Red emergency lighting comes on. MAGGIE goes to the isolation room door and presses her hands on the seams. The power shorts out.

INT. BASE, CONTROL

ED and ROMAN are watching the sickbay on the monitor.

ROMAN: Even if she gets past the Medical Dome, she'll never get past the Hardinger seal at this end, right?

ED: So we keep saying.

The feed goes down.

ED: Camera's down. We've lost her.

INT. BASE, SICKBAY

MAGGIE opens the door and steps into the sickbay. She then throws her head back, arms out, and screams.

ANDY and TARAK hear her and then slowly walk back towards the Bio-dome.

INT. BASE, OVERLOOKING ICE FIELDS

ADELAIDE and the DOCTOR look down into the open space.

DOCTOR: They tell legends of Mars, from long ago of a fine and noble race who built an empire out of snow. The Ice Warriors.

ADELAIDE: I haven't got time for stories.

DOCTOR: Perhaps they found something down there. Used their might and their wisdom to freeze it.

ADELAIDE: (heads to computer) Doctor! We need to find any sort of change in the water process. We've got to date the infection.

The DOCTOR tries to access the computer while ADELAIDE works another monitor.

COMPUTER: Access denied.

ADELAIDE: You don't look like a coward, but all you've wanted to do is leave. You know so much about us.

DOCTOR: Well, you're famous.

ADELAIDE: It's like you know more.

DOCTOR: This moment, this precise moment in time, it's like... I mean, it's only a theory. What do I know? But I think certain moments in time are fixed. Tiny, precious moments. Everything else is in flux, anything can happen, but those certain moments, they have to stand. This base, on Mars, with you, Adelaide Brooke, this is one vital moment. What happens here must always happen.

ADELAIDE: Which is what?

DOCTOR: I don't know. I think something wonderful happens, something that started 50 years ago, isn't that right?

ADELAIDE: I've never told anyone that.

DOCTOR: You told your daughter. And maybe, one day, she tells the story to her daughter of the day the Earth was stolen and moved across the universe. And you...

ADELAIDE: I saw the Daleks. We looked up, the sky had changed. Everyone was running and screaming. And my father took hold of me...

FLASHBACK—

YOUNG ADELAIDE is wearing pajamas as she and her FATHER enter the attic room.

FATHER:
Stay here! Don't move. (puts hands on her shoulders and they kneel) I've got to go out. I'm gonna find your mother, but I'm coming back, I promise you. I'm coming back. (kisses her on the forehead and leaves)

ADELAIDE: (v.o.)
I never saw him again.

ADELAIDE: Nor my mother. They were never found. But out on the streets, there was panic and burning. I went to the window.

FLASHBACK—

YOUNG ADELAIDE walks to the attic skylight and looks up.

ADELAIDE: (v.o.)
And there in the sky... (a Dalek hovers outside) I saw it, Doctor. And it saw me. It stared at me. It looked right into me. And then... (Dalek leaves)

ADELAIDE: It simply went away. I knew, that night, I knew I would follow it.

DOCTOR: But not for revenge.

ADELAIDE: What would be the point of that?

DOCTOR: (smiles) That's what makes you remarkable. And that's how you create history.

ADELAIDE: What do you mean?

DOCTOR: Imagine it, Adelaide. If you began a journey that takes the human race all the way out to the stars. It begins with you. And then your granddaughter, you inspire her so that in 30 years, Susie Fontana Brooke is the pilot of the first light-speed ship to Proxima Centauri. (flash to Susie’s article) And then everywhere. With her children, and her children's children forging the way to the Dragon Star, the Celestial Belt of the Winter Queen, the Map of the Water Snake Wormholes. One day a Brooke will fall in love with a Tandonian prince, and that's the start of a whole new species. But everything starts with you, Adelaide. From 50 years ago, to right here, today. Imagine.

ADELAIDE: Who are you? Why are you telling me this? Doctor, why tell me?

DOCTOR: As consolation.

The computer beeps and shows ANDY’S record.

ADELAIDE: Andy Stone. He logged on yesterday.

The screen shows a video of ANDY in the Bio-dome.

ANDY: (on video)
Maintenance log, 21.20, November 2059. Number three water filter's bust. And guess what? The spares they sent don't fit. What a surprise. Over and out. (shuts off camera)

DOCTOR: A filter. One tiny little filter and then the flood.

ADELAIDE: But that means the infection arrived today, and the water's only cycled out of the Bio-dome after a week. The rest of us can't be infected. We can leave! (into radio) Ed, we're clean! How are we doing?
INT. BASE, CONTROL

ED: Shuttle's active, stage one!

EXT. MARS SURFACE

The lights on the launch tower begin to turn on.

INT. BASE, CONTROL

ED: I haven't got time to convey the protein packs. If you want food you're gonna have to carry it by hand. Start loading! Right now!

The other four members begin to go through the food stores.

INT. BASE, CONNECTING TUNNEL

ADELAIDE and the DOCTOR are running.

ADELAIDE: You were right, Doctor.

DOCTOR: What about?

ADELAIDE: Bikes!

The DOCTOR laughs.

INT. BASE, CONTROL

YURI, MIA, ROMAN and STEFFI continue to pack as ED runs the shuttle through its checks. ADELAIDE gives the DOCTOR his spacesuit.

ADELAIDE: Now get to your ship. I'm saving my people, you save yourself. I know what this moment is. It's the moment we escape. Now get out.

The DOCTOR stands by the door and watches.

YURI: Come on!

STEFFI: How many do we need?

INT. BASE, ??

TARAK is climbing a ladder to a roof.

INT. BASE, CONTROL

The DOCTOR continues to watch as the crew calls to each other as they prepare to leave.

ADELAIDE: Roman, what about you?

ROMAN: Protein-packs 30 to 36. (pushes them into the container)

No one hears the alarm beeping as two life-forms are shown on the roof.

EXT. BASE, CONTROL

ANDY and TARAK walk along the roof.

INT. BASE, CONTROL

ADELAIDE: Steffi, ditch the central containers. We don't need them.

STEFFI: Units 41, 42 and 43.

MIA: Unit 41 is here.

ROMAN: I’ll swap them around.

The DOCTOR stands there, taking in everything.

ADELAIDE: Roman try to condense the oxygen membranes, we can lose ten pounds. Faster! Come on! Ed, how's the fuel jets?

ED: Cooling down in about 30 seconds.

EXT. BASE, CONTROL

ANDY and TARAK stop near the center of the roof and fall to their knees and put their hands down on the surface.

INT. BASE, CONTROL

ADELAIDE: What the hell's that noise? Mia, you lot, shut up.

Everyone is quiet and the beeping continues.

ED: It's the module sensors. Exterior as well. The cameras are down, but there's pressure on top of the module. Two signals right above us.

STEFFI: That means...they're on the roof?

They all look to the ceiling.

EXT. BASE, CONTROL

Water seeps from ANDY and TARAK’S hands and then pours from their mouths like from hoses.

INT. BASE, CONTROL

ROMAN: How did they get inside the Dome?

ED: They used the maintenance shafts.

MIA: The shaft's open, they haven't got spacesuits. (reaches for YURI’S hand)

ED: They breathe water.

STEFFI: But they'd freeze.

YURI: They've got that internal fission.

MIA: Are we safe? They can't get through, can they? (ceiling creaks) Can they?

Water begins to come through the ceiling.

ROMAN: This place is airtight!

STEFFI: Can it get through? Ed? Can it get through?

ED: I don't know! Water itself isn't motile, but it has some resistance.

ADELAIDE: Everyone, listen to me! That's ten feet of steel-combination up there. We need all the protein-packs or we'll starve. Now keep working! (they get back to work) Roman, watch the ceiling! Ed, get to the shuttle, fire it up.

ED: I can carry more than this lot, Captain.

ADELAIDE: That's an order!

ED: Captain.

Standing there, the DOCTOR flashes on the article about the disaster. Everyone moves in slow motion. AT the door, ED turns and looks at ADELAIDE with a smile. YURI helps MIA while ROMAN keeps an eye on the ceiling. ED leaves. ADELAIDE looks up and sees the DOCTOR but keep son working. The DOCTOR turns and heads out the door.

INT. BASE, SHUTTLE CORRIDOR

ED runs down the corridor to the shuttle.

INT. BASE, OUTSIDE AIRLOCK

The DOCTOR enters wearing his spacesuit. The door hisses shut behind him and he starts the process.

The DOCTOR tries again.

Tell me what happens.

DOCTOR: I don't know.

Yes, you do.

- CUT TO:

INT. BASE, COMMUNICATIONS

ADELAIDE: Now tell me.

DOCTOR: You should be with the others.

ADELAIDE: Tell me! (she is watching him on monitor) I could ramp up the pressure in that airlock and crush you.

DOCTOR: Except you won't. You could have sh*t Andy Stone, but you didn't. I loved you for that. Imagine... Imagine you knew something. Imagine you found yourself somewhere, I don't know, Pompeii. Imagine you were in Pompeii.

ADELAIDE: What the hell's that got to do with it?

DOCTOR: And you tried to save them, but, in doing so, you make it happen. Anything I do just makes it happen.

STEFFI slides the glass door open.

STEFFI: Captain, we need you right now. (leaves)

ADELAIDE: I'm still here.

DOCTOR:
(looks into the camera) You're taking Action One. There are four more standard action procedures. And Action Five is...?

ADELAIDE: Detonation.

DOCTOR: (onscreen)
The final option. The nuclear device at the heart of the Central Dome. Today, on the 21st November 2059, Captain Brooke activates that device, taking the base and all her crew members with her. No-one ever knows why. But you were saving Earth. That's what inspires your granddaughter. She takes your people out into the galaxy, because you die, on Mars. You die, today. She flies out there like she's trying to meet you.

ADELAIDE: (softly) I won't die. I will not.

But your death creates the future.

ADELAIDE: Help me. Why won't you help, Doctor, if you know all of this? Why can't you change it?

I can't.

ADELAIDE: Why can't you find a way? Tell me.

Adelaide, I swear, I can’t. I'm sorry, but I can't. Sometimes I can, sometimes I do. Most times, I can save someone. Or anyone. But not you. You wondered all your life why that Dalek spared you. I think it knew. Your death is fixed, in time, for ever. And that's right.

ADELAIDE: You'll die here too.

No.

ADELAIDE: What's gonna save you?

Captain Adelaide Brooke.

ADELAIDE: (presses a button to start depressurization) Damn you.

The airlock door opens.

INT. BASE, CONTROL

ROMAN: Water! We've got water!

It’s running down the walls. ADELAIDE rushes out.

MIA: Captain! Get back! Get back! Captain! Don’t touch it, Roman! Don’t let it touch you!

MIA pulls ROMAN back with YURI and STEFFI.

ADELAIDE: Get back! We're abandoning this section. Get to the shuttle! Yuri, lead the way, Section B Corridor, now.

YURI opens the door to where they have store everything and the water is pouring through.

ADELAIDE: Close it!

YURI closes the door.

STEFFI: Yuri, did that water touch you?

YURI: I'm safe.

STEFFI: Did it touch you? Yuri, did that water touch you?

YURI: I'm clean, I'm dry.

The DOCTOR can hear everything.

INT. BASE, CONTROL

ADELAIDE: Everyone, Section B is out. Listen to me! Take every pack that you can. We'll go round. We'll make our way out through Section F.

They begin to gather the packs.

STEFFI: Transferring authorization, Section F. Mia you take the redline stock! And hurry up!

YURI, MIA, ROMAN and ADELAIDE start heading for the opposite door. As STEFFI goes to join them, water pours from the ceiling, blocking her way.

YURI: Steffi, go!

MIA: Steffi, get back!

YURI: Get back!

ADELAIDE: Steffi, keep back!

YURI: Get back!

ADELAIDE: Steffi!

YURI: Just get back! Steffi!

MIA: Get back!

ADELAIDE: Just get back! Hurry!

STEFFI backs up to the enclosed communications center.

MIA: You’ll be safer in there!

ROMAN: Just shut the door! Close the door!

STEFFI closes the door.

ADELAIDE: Steffi, we'll come get you, OK? We'll come get you! Steffi!

STEFFI: Captain!

ADELAIDE: We'll open the access panel. We'll get you out through the back. (to others) Get her out! Move it!

STEFFI: (screams) Captain, it's inside! (backs away from the door)

ROMAN: Steffi!

MIA: Steffi, get back! Steffi!

The DOCTOR steps outside the airlock.

We're coming! Steffi, hold on!

ROMAN: (over radio)
The access panel’s fused, Captain. We can’t open it.

We can't get through!

Don’t! Don’t, please!

There’s nothing we can do.

I can't move!

The DOCTOR starts to walk away.

INT. BASE, CONTROL

STEFFI, pressed against the wall, presses a button on the monitor that plays a video of her DAUGHTERS.

DAUGHTER: Hallo, Mutti. Hallo, Mars! (turns to other girl) Sag hallo.(to camera) Ich fragte warum nicht. Wir koennen doch mit dem Zug...

The water hits STEFFI on the back and she sobs.

The DOCTOR listens as STEFFI’S daughter continues in German.

INT. BASE, CONTROL

ADELAIDE: Steffi, can you hear me?

They watch STEFFI shake as the transformation takes place.

MIA: Oh, my God.

The DOCTOR continues to listen to STEFFI’S daughter.

INT. BASE, CONTROL

ADELAIDE: Out! Get out!

MIA, YURI and ROMAN head out. ADELAIDE watches as the now-transformed STEFFI walks slowly towards her. ADELAIDE follows MIA.

ADELAIDE: (into radio)
Ed, we're going round the long way, how are we doing?

INT. BASE, SHUTTLE

ED is in the pilot’s seat checking the controls.

ED: All systems online, 100%. Not a single delay! Don't you worry, Captain, we are gonna fly!

EXT. MARS SURFACE

As the shuttle’s rockets fire, the DOCTOR walks away from the base.

I need air in Section F right now.

Locking chamber three. Locking chamber four.

Keep looking!

Gate five is open! Gate six is open!

INT. BASE, SECTION F

ROMAN is looking around to make sure they have everything.

YURI:
Quickly, come on!

MIA: I’ve got 25 to 30 lockdown.

ROMAN looks up at the ceiling just as a drop of water falls. It hits him on the face.

ADELAIDE: Roman, come on, with me.

ROMAN:
You'd better go.

EXT. MARS SURFACE

Don't just stand there, move!

You'd really better go without me.

INT. BASE, SECTION F

ROMAN: I'm sorry, Captain. One drop.

EXT. MARS SURFACE

The DOCTOR closes his eyes.

INT. BASE, SECTION F

ROMAN starts to shake.

MIA: Roman! Roman!

YURI: (grabs MIA around the waist) Leave him, come on.

EXT. MARS SURFACE

MIA: (over radio)
We can't just leave him!

Sorry. Come on.

Let me go!

I can’t let you go.

Roman!! (sobs)

INT. BASE, SECTION F

YURI takes MIA out of the room.

YURI: I’m so sorry.

ADELAIDE follows.

INT. BASE, SHUTTLE

The door opens and MAGGIE is there. She aims her hand at the cockpit and ED is too slow closing the door as water sh**t through. He groans as he feels the change start.

INT. BASE, SECTION F

ADELAIDE, YURI and MIA are heading for the shuttle.

ED: (over radio)
Captain. The shuttle is down.

ADELAIDE: (into radio)
What the hell do you mean?

EXT. MARS SURFACE

Compromised. It was Maggie.

Get out of there!

Too late.

INT. BASE, SHUTTLE

ED: They want this ship to get to Earth. Got no choice. (hits a few buttons)

EXT. MARS SURFACE

(groans) Hated it, Adelaide.

INT. BASE, SHUTTLE

ED: (groans) This bloody job. Ohhhh!

EXT. MARS SURFACE

You never gave me a chance.

INT. BASE, SHUTTLE

Ed reaches out his hand.

INT. BASE, SECTION F

You never could forgive me.

INT. BASE, SHUTTLE

ED’S eyes have changed.

ED: See you later.

He presses the self-destruct, destroying the shuttle.

INT. BASE, SECTION F

The base shakes from the expl*si*n.

EXT. MARS SURFACE

The blast knocks the DOCTOR to the ground.

INT. BASE, SECTION F

Electronics spark and ADELAIDE, YURI and MIA fall to the floor and cover their heads from falling debris. Air begins to escape.

EXT. MARS SURFACE

The DOCTOR sits up and looks back at the devestation.

INT. BASE, SECTION F

The loss of air pressure pulls the three of them towards the hole.

YURI: We're losing oxygen!

EXT. MARS SURFACE

The hull is broken!!

The DOCTOR is lying on the ground amidst flaming debris. He remembers…

*DOCTOR: (remembering)
I'm not just a Time Lord, I'm the Last of the Time Lords. It’ll never come back, not now. I've got a TARDIS. Same old life, last of the Time Lords. And they d*ed, took it all with them. The walls of reality closed, the worlds were sealed, gone forever. 'The Time Lords kept their eye on everything. And it's gone now. But they d*ed, the Time Lords! All of them, they d*ed! I'm the last of the Time Lords.

With a look of grim determination, the DOCTOR heads back to the base.

INT. BASE, SECTION F

The alarm is beeping. YURI, MIA, and ADELAIDE are holding onto anything that will keep them from getting sucked out. The DOCTOR appears and takes charge.

DOCTOR: Mia, take this sealant, fix that rig! (tosses a canister) Yuri, open emergency oxygen. Adelaide, don't just sit there! (helps her up)

MIA seals the whole and YURI starts the oxygen.

DOCTOR: That's better! The Dome's still got integrity! It’s 10 feet of steel-combination, made in Liverpool. Magnificent workmanship!

ADELAIDE: It can't be stopped. Don't die with us.

DOCTOR: No, because someone told me just recently, they said I was gonna die. They said, he will knock four times, and I know what that means. And it doesn't mean right here, right now! Cos I don't hear anyone knocking, do you?!

There are three loud bangs on the door. It’s ANDY.

DOCTOR: Three knocks is all you're getting!

The DOCTOR electrifies the door and ANDY screams and falls.

DOCTOR: Water and electricity, bad mix. Now then, what else have we got?

ADELAIDE: But there's no way to fight them.

DOCTOR: Heat! They use water, so we can use heat! (presses buttons on the computer before rushing across the room) Works against the Ice Warriors, works against the Flood. We’ll ramp up the environment controls and steam them!

ADELAIDE: But you said we die! For the future, for the human race.

DOCTOR: Yes, because there are laws. There are Laws of Time. Once upon a time there were people in charge of those laws, but they d*ed. They all d*ed. Do you know who that leaves? Me! It's taken me all these years to realise the Laws of Time are mine and they will obey me!

The base shudders again and the DOCTOR is thrown to the floor. The DOCTOR’S helmet falls to the floor.

ADELAIDE: Environment controls are down! Sorry, Doctor, it looks like history's got other ideas.

DOCTOR: (stands) Not beaten yet! I'll go outside! Look at the heat regulator.(picks up helmet and sees it’s broken) No, not beaten, not beaten! (throws helmet to the floor) You've got spacesuits, in the next section.

The DOCTOR runs out the door but is stopped by water. He runs back.

DOCTOR: We're not just fighting the Flood, we're fighting time itself and I'm gonna win!

MAGGIE raises her arms and roars and the ice begins to cr*ck.

INT. BASE, SECTION F

YURI: Something's happening to the glacier.

DOCTOR: Think, think, think-a think! What have we got? Not enough oxygen! Protein-packs? Useless! Glacier, glacier mints, minty, Monty, molto bene, bunny, Bonny, bish-bash-bosh! Baaaaaaah! The room, the room, look at the room! Section F, what's in Section F? Anyone?!

YURI: Nothing, it's just storage.

DOCTOR: Storing what?!

YURI: I don't know. The weather spikes, robots, atom clamps…

DOCTOR: Atom clamps? Atom clamps!? (opens a storage cabinet) Who needs atom clamps? I love a funny robot!

GADGET: Gadget-Gadget.

MAGGIE continues to roar.

INT. BASE, SECTION F

The DOCTOR puts something in GADGET’S pincer "hand".

DOCTOR: You take that. Good boy.

The DOCTOR puts on the control gloves for GADGET.

DOCTOR: Off we go then!

GADGET: Gadget-Gadget. (heads off)

ADELAIDE brings up the warning screen on the computer.

GADGET trundles down the tunnel past the water and flames.

INT. BASE, SECTION F

DOCTOR: Come on, come on!

ADELAIDE taps on the keypad.

COMPUTER: Implementing Captain's protocol.

DOCTOR: Adelaide, what are you doing?!

MIA: Oh, my God. Action Five.

DOCTOR: If I have to fight you as well, then I will.

ADELAIDE hits "enter".

COMPUTER: Nuclear device now active and primed. Nuclear device now active and primed.

The DOCTOR uses the sonic screwdriver on GADGET’S control panel.

DOCTOR: Blast off!!

GADGET goes turbo and jets down the tunnel.

INT. BASE, SECTION F

DOCTOR: Faster!

EXT. MARS SURFACE

GADGET speeds across the red dust.

MAGGIE continues to roar and the ice splits open.

INT. BASE

ANDY, TARAK, STEFFI and ROMAN, raise their arms and join in MAGGIE’S roar.

INT. BASE, SECTION F

The upheaval of the ice causes the base to shudder and ADELAIDE falls to the floor.

EXT. MARS SURFACE

GADGET reaches the TARDIS.

INT. BASE, SECTION F

YURI uses a fire extinguisher against the many small fires that have started.

COMPUTER: Nuclear device entering final process.

EXT. MARS SURFACE

GADGET raises its "hand" which is holding the TARDIS key.

INT. BASE, SECTION F

The DOCTOR guides GADGET’S "hand", inserting the key and opening the door.

DOCTOR: And we're in! (laughs as he guides GADGET to the console)

From her position on the floor, ADELAIDE watches and shakes her head.

INT. TARDIS

GADGET dematerializes the TARDIS.

INT. BASE, SECTION F

The countdown has reached 22 seconds. The TARDIS arrives. The countdown reaches 0.

EXT. MARS SURFACE

Bowie Base One explodes.

EXT. LONDON STREET

It is snowing as the TARDIS materializes. The DOCTOR opens the door and is followed out by ADELAIDE, MIA and YURI. They look around and the DOCTOR waits for comments.

DOCTOR: Isn't anyone going to thank me?

GADGET trundles out and then shuts down.

DOCTOR: He's lost his signal. Doesn't know where he is.

ADELAIDE: That's my house.

DOCTOR: Don't you get it? This is the 21st November 2059. Same day on Earth. (looks up) And it's snowing. I love snow.

MIA: What is that thing? It's bigger... I mean, it's bigger on the inside! Who the hell are you? (runs away)

YURI wants to follow, but hesitates. He looks at ADELAIDE.

ADELAIDE: Look after her.

YURI: Yes, ma'am. (goes after MIA)

ADELAIDE: (walks towards the DOCTOR) You saved us.

DOCTOR: Just think though. Your daughter, and your daughter's daughter, you can see them again. Family reunion!

ADELAIDE: But I'm supposed to be dead.

DOCTOR: Not any more.

ADELAIDE: But Susie, my granddaughter, the person she's supposed to become might never exist now.

DOCTOR: Nah! Captain Adelaide can inspire her face-to-face. Different details, but the story's the same.

ADELAIDE: You can't know that. And if my family changes, the whole of history could change. The future of the human race. No-one should have that much power.

DOCTOR: Tough.

ADELAIDE: (backs away) You should have left us there.

DOCTOR: Adelaide, I've done this sort of thing before, in small ways, saved some little people. But never someone as important as you. Oh, I'm good!

ADELAIDE: Little people? What, like Mia and Yuri? Who decides they're so unimportant? You?

DOCTOR: For a long time now, I thought I was just a survivor, but I'm not. I'm the winner. That's who I am. The Time Lord Victorious.

ADELAIDE: And there's no-one to stop you?

DOCTOR: No.

ADELAIDE: This is wrong, Doctor. I don't care who you are. The Time Lord Victorious is wrong.

DOCTOR: That's for me to decide. (changes mood) Now, you'd better get home. Oh, it's all locked up, you've been away. Still, that's easy.

The DOCTOR uses the sonic screwdriver on her door and it unlocks.

DOCTOR: All yours.

ADELAIDE: Is there nothing you can't do?

DOCTOR: Not any more.

ADELAIDE walks to her house and up the steps to the door. She looks back at him as he heads for the TARDIS. She reaches for her g*n and draws it as she steps inside and closes the door. Just as the DOCTOR reaches the TARDIS, there is a g*nsh*t. The DOCTOR turns and looks at the door. He flashes on her obituary again and the date is still the same, though the place has changed. In a sudden realization of what he made ADELAIDE do, he falls back against the door. He flashes on a story about YURI and MIA, the only survivors, saying that ADELAIDE was a hero. He also flashes on SUSIE’S news page.

*ADELAIDE: I don't care who you are. A Time Lord Victorious is wrong.

The DOCTOR turns and looks in the opposite direction.

DOCTOR: I've gone too far.

OOD-SIGMA is standing in the road. The DOCTOR falls to his knees.

DOCTOR: (to OOD-SIGMA) Is this it? My death? Is it time?

OOD-SIGMA vanishes. The DOCTOR stands and enters the TARDIS, slamming the door shut.

INT. TARDIS

The DOCTOR stands and stares at the console.

DOCTOR: No. (dematerializes the TARDIS)