08x03 - Heartache

Episode transcripts for the TV show "Supernatural". Aired: September 2005 to November 2020.*
Watch/Buy Amazon  Merchandise

Two brothers follow their father's footsteps as "hunters" fighting evil supernatural beings of many kinds including monsters, demons, and gods that roam the earth.

08x03 - Heartache

Post by bunniefuu »

8.03 Heartache

Air Date: 17 October 2012

NOW

EXT. PARK – NIGHT

Minneapolis, Minnesota

A young male JOGGER is jogging along a path. A HEAVYSET Man running faster catches up to him, jogs near him for a few moments as they look at each other, then sprints off. The JOGGER stops to catch his breath before jogging on.

Further down the path, the JOGGER comes to a stop in front of the HEAVYSET Man, who seems to be waiting for him.

JOGGER

[holding out his hand]Congratulations. You're fast.

The HEAVYSET Man grabs the JOGGER's outstretched right arm with his left hand.

HEAVYSET Man

I do a lot of cardio.

The HEAVYSET Man plunges his right hand into the JOGGER's chest and withdraws his heart. The JOGGER falls to the ground.

SUPERNATURAL

ACT ONE

EXT. FARMERS' MARKET – DAY

Sam picks up a red apple from a basket and takes a bite. Dean is looking at his phone.

Dean: Wow. Guy goes to Purgatory for a year, all hell breaks loose. Check this out. A jogger in Minneapolis gets his heart ripped out.

Sam: I'm guessing literally?

Dean: Only way that interests me. And then, there's another article from six months ago. [Sam puts tomatoes into a canvas bag.]Same thing happens, also in Minneapolis. What does that tell us?

Sam: Stay out of Minneapolis.

Dean: Two hearts ganked, Same city, six months apart. [Sam hands over money for his purchases.]I mean, that's got to be a ritual, man. Or at least some sort of a heart-sucking, possessed, satanic, cr*ck-whore bat.

Sam: A what?

Dean: It's a case. Look, I say we hang out the shingle again and ride.

Sam: We're on a case, Dean. Kevin and the demon tablet need to be found, so heart guy takes a number.

Dean: Uh, we just spent a week chasing our asses trying to lock Kevin down, okay? And look at us. We're – [He looks around at their surroundings.]Where the hell are we?

Sam: [slowly]Farmers' market. [He holds up the apple.]Organic. What? I had a year off. I took the time to enjoy the good things.

Dean: While avoiding doing what we actually do.

Sam: Wow, Dean, does it make you feel that much better every time you say it?

Dean: All right, man, look, I get it. You took a year off to do yoga and play the lute, whatever, but I'm back. Okay, we're back, which means that we walk and k*ll monsters at the Same time. We'll find Kevin. But in the meantime, do we ignore stuff like this? Or are innocent people supposed to die so that you can shop for produce?

INT. Police STATION – DAY

Someone drops a folder with photos of the dead JOGGER onto a desk. As the camera pans out, we see that Dean and Sam in suits are talking to a Detective.

Detective: Here's what's odd about this thing – the guy wasn't chopped or cut into, no incision. But his heart was ripped out of him like a peach pit.

Sam: Was he robbed?

Detective: Phone, watch, money all still on him.

Dean: What about enemies?

Detective: He was in town for a conference. No local connections.

Dean: You guys had another one of these about, uh, six months ago?

Detective: Yeah, and we hit a brick wall. We had nothing to go on, really. Thought maybe we got lucky here. [He walks over to a TV.]A park surveillance camera picked up something.

They watch the HEAVYSET Man overtake the JOGGER on the security camera footage.

Dean: Huh. That chubby guy the last person to see the vic alive?

Detective: Other than the k*ller. Name's Paul Hayes. We, uh, pulled him in for questioning.

Sam: So what makes you think he's clean?

Detective: Well, so far, no reason not to. I mean, he said he briefly saw the victim, he ran out ahead, that was it.

Dean: What, you mean he didn't fall to his knees and confess to gutting the guy?

Detective: No. I mean we did a thorough check on the guy, not so much as a parking ticket came up. I mean, look at him. I mean, sure, he can run a little bit, but Thor he ain't. You think he's gonna grab Freddy fitness here and throw him down and rip out his heart? I don't think so. Forgive me if I didn't take him out back and sh**t him.

Sam: Okay, uh, so... any idea where we can find this guy?

INT. PAUL HAYES' HOUSE – DAY

PAUL HAYES is mixing a smoothie in a blender as Sam waits.

PAUL HAYES

Sorry. I kind of try to stick to a nutrition and workout schedule. Do you want a hit?

Sam: I'm good. Thanks.

PAUL HAYES

Oh.

Sam: So, Paul, you passed a runner who was later k*lled. Did you speak with him at all?

PAUL HAYES

Yeah, I went over this with the cops. I-I–I didn't know him. I had never spoken to him. I ran past him. I never saw him again. The end.

A toilet flushes offscreen and Dean walks into the room

PAUL HAYES

Mm, oh. It's disgusting. It tastes like crap, but it keeps you young.

Dean: Thanks, uh – uh... too much fiber.

PAUL HAYES

No such thing.

Sam: Thank you. [to Dean]See? Now, Paul, we couldn't help but notice that the jogger you outraced was a good deal younger than you.

Dean: Yeah, and less, uh...

PAUL HAYES

Uh, full-figured? You should've seen me before. Yeah, hugging a desk all day and watching TV all night, eating fried everything was k*lling me. I had a health scare about a year ago.

Sam: I'm sorry to hear that.

PAUL HAYES

No, it changed my life. I mean, I started taking care of myself.

Dean: Now your body's a temple, huh?

PAUL HAYES

Where I worship every day. [He drinks some of his smoothie.]Ah.

INT. CAFE – DAY

Sam walks through the café and joins Dean.

Sam: All right, so... what's the word? What did you find poking around at Paul's?

Dean: Ah, just the usual – condoms, hair gel. No hex bags, nothing satanic, nothing spooky.

Dean is using a laptop. Sam flips through papers.

Sam: So, he didn't seem like a guy who would be voted most likely to disembowel?

Dean: No, they never do. [Sam sighs.]Wait a minute. Here's another one.

Sam: What, m*rder?

Dean: And a do-it-yourself heart bypass. Two days after this one.

Sam: What part of Minneapolis?

Dean: The Iowa part. Ames.

Sam: Well, Paul was here being questioned. There's no way that could have been him.

Dean: This guy was a cop. [Dean is looking at the Des Moines Herald online. The headline reads "Ames Police Officer Arrested in m*rder".]This is exactly what happened six months ago. Minneapolis, then Ames. Guess you missed that one. I'm just saying.

We see a close-up of the photo in the online article. The description reads "Officer Arthur Swensen, resident of Ames, now in Police Custody."

INT. AMES Police STATION – DAY

Officer LEVITT

Arthur Swenson. Real top-shelf officer. 20 years on the force. He'd ordered a pizza, which the vic delivered.

Sam: And then?

Officer LEVITT

The vic didn't make his next drop-off. His body was found on the walk in front of Swenson's.

Dean: And he wasn't wearing a heart?

Officer LEVITT

No. Heartless.

Sam: And, uh, what about Swenson?

Officer LEVITT

Crumpled on the front stoop. Covered in blood, crying like a baby. Ironically, he had been in court all week, testifying.

A phone rings.

Officer

Hey, Levitt, line two.

Officer LEVITT

Excuse me. (on phone) Go ahead.

Sam: So that couldn't have been him in Minneapolis.

Dean: I hate when this happens.

Officer LEVITT hangs up the phone.

Dean: So, this Arthur guy, what does – what does he have to say?

Officer LEVITT

Uh... it's not real helpful.

CUT TO: Police STATION / JAIL INTERVIEW ROOM

ARTHUR SWENSEN is sitting at a table clasping and unclasping his hands and repeating the Same words over and over.

ARTHUR SWENSEN

[repeating]K'uhul ajaw, Cacao, shi-jiiy. K'uhul ajaw, Cacao, shi-jiiy.

Dean: So, you getting his statement?

Sam: Uh, yeah, k-kind of. Probably not.

Dean: It's too bad I dropped out of Lunatic 101.

Sam: Whatever it is, it sounds like he's repeating it.

Dean: Look at his eyes. Hey, Arthur... did you do this alone?

Sam: Arthur, did some invisible voice tell you you had to k*ll?

ARTHUR SWENSEN bangs his hands on the table.

ARTHUR SWENSEN

K'uhul ajaw, Cacao, shi-jiiy! [more softly, repeating]K'uhul ajaw, Cacao, shi-jiiy.

Dean: Oh, now you've pissed him off. Hey, Art. Can I call you Art? Listen, I'm gonna sprinkle your arm with holy water [He takes out a flask]and it's gonna steam and burn if you're possessed by a demon. [to Sam]He's a mushroom.

Dean pours holy water on ARTHUR SWENSEN's arm. Nothing happens.

Sam: Okay, not possessed.

Dean: Arthur, you want to tell us why you did this?

ARTHUR SWENSEN

[repeating]K'uhul ajaw, Cacao, shi-jiiy.

Dean: Okay.

Dean walks towards the door.

EXT. STORY COUNTY Police DEPARTMENT – NIGHT

INT. STORY COUNTY Police DEPARTMENT – NIGHT

ARTHUR SWENSEN is sitting on the edge of his bed, rocking back and forth and repeating the Same words over and over.

ARTHUR SWENSEN

[repeating]K'uhul ajaw, Cacao, shi-jiiy.

He pulls a metal bar from the bed frame and points it at his eye. The scene shifts to the hallway outside his cell. We hear a stabbing noise and screaming.

ACT TWO

INT. MOTEL – DAY

Sam is playing a recording of ARTHUR SWENSEN repeating "K'uhul ajaw, Cacao, shi-jiiy." He and Dean are still wearing their dress shirts and pants.

Sam: So, what do you think?

Dean: Personally, I prefer the Keith Richards version.

Sam: Can you actually understand any of the words?

Dean: If they arewords. Sounds like babble to me. Wait a second.

Sam: What?

Dean: I bought a translation app.

Sam: You bought an app.

Dean: Yeah. Here, play it.

Dean holds out his phone and Sam plays the recording again.

Dean: And babble wins. "Language unknown." [He holds up his phone for Sam to read.]

Sam's phone rings.

Sam: Mm. (on phone) Agent Sambora. What?

INT. HOSPITAL – DAY

ARTHUR SWENSEN is lying in a hospital bed with a bandage around his head. Dean is talking to Dr. KASHI outside the room.

Dean: So, Dr Kashi, what are we looking at here, some kind of psychotic break?

Dr. KASHI

Oh, definitely. He was very thorough. Severed the optic nerve. He was determined to remove the eye.

Dean: And he used, uh, what to cut with?

Dr. KASHI

He doesn't look strong enough, but he broke off part of the bed frame and used it as a Kn*fe. [to a Nurse who handed her a file]Thank you.

Dean: Wow. They should put warning labels on those beds.

Dr. KASHI

Like I said – determined.

Dean: I noticed that he had two different-colored eyes.

Dr. KASHI

Yes. Apparently, he was in an accident where much of one eye was shattered. His vision was saved with a transplant.

Dean: When was this?

Dr. KASHI looks at the file.

Dr. KASHI

A year ago, almost to the date. And, interestingly, it's the transplanted eye he chose to cut out.

Dean: Really? Hey, let me ask you something, doc. Is it possible to trace the donor of a transplanted organ?

Dr. KASHI

Difficult.

Dean: But possible? [Dr. KASHI smiles at him.]Hmm.

INT. MOTEL – DAY

Sam is using his laptop on the bed. Dean enters carrying a drink and take-out food. They are both now in casual clothes.

Dean: Hey.

Sam: Hey. Arthur Swenson had an eye transplant a year ago, right?

Dean: Yeah.

Sam: Well, I remembered that Paul Hayes was talking about a health scare he had a year ago that changed his life, so I pulled up his medical records from Minneapolis.

There is a long pause as Dean looks at Sam.

Sam: You want me on board, I'm on board. Anyways, you want to guess who else, other than Arthur Swenson, had a transplant in the last year?

Dean: Paul Hayes?

Sam: I gave it away, didn't I?

Dean: Okay, so we've got two suspects in two identical murders in two different cities that both had organ transplants a year ago.

Sam: Yeah. Also...

Dean: I love when there's an "also."

Sam: I got to thinking about all that stuff Arthur Swenson was talking about. Maybe your translation app called it "language unknown" because it's a dead language, like ancient Greek or Manx.

Dean: Manx?

Sam: So I e-mailed an audio file of Arthur's mumbling to Dr Morrison.

Dean: Who?

Sam: Dr Morrison, the anthropology Professor who helped us out with the Amazons.

Dean: Yes, okay. Okay. Well, let's get our asses on the road.

Sam: Headed to...?

Dean: Well, if we are in a repeat of a cycle from six months ago, then, after the murders in Minneapolis and in Ames, the next heart att*ck was in Boulder, Colorado.

EXT. STRIP CLUB – NIGHT

A Man is leaning against a wall in an alley outside a strip club. A Woman in high platform heels and a tight black dress comes outside.

Man: Randa?

RANDA

Chick, right?

CHICK

Loved your performance tonight. Must take, uh, must take years of training.

RANDA

[laughs briefly]Actually, uh... I'm kind of a natural.

RANDA takes CHICK's arm and they walk.

CHICK

Um... You know, I don't normally do this kind of thing.

RANDA

Mm-hmm.

CHICK

Um, there's just… [RANDA pushes CHICK around a corner]…just something about you.

RANDA pushes CHICK against the wall. She pulls his shirt back, bends her knees and presses herself against his body as she straightens up, then plunges a hand into his chest. With her other hand, she puts a finger to his lips.

RANDA

Shh.

RANDA pulls out CHICK's heart. He drops to the ground.

Impala – NIGHT

Dean is driving and Sam is in the passenger seat.

Dean: All right, case is coming together. Things are coming together, man. You and me. It is all good. [Sam doesn't respond.]Hey.

Dean: What are you thinking about, organic tomatoes?

Sam: Uh, I'm not thinking about anything.

Dean: I don't know about you, but this last year has given me a new perspective.

Sam: I hear you. Believe me.

Dean: I know where I'm at my best, and that is right here, driving down crazy street next to you.

Sam: Makes sense.

Dean: Yes, it does.

Sam: Or... maybe you don't need me. I mean, maybe you're at your best hacking and slicing your way through all the world's crap alone, not having to explain yourself to anybody.

Dean: Yeah, that makes sense, seeing as I have so many other brothers I can talk to about this stuff.

Sam: Look, I'm not saying I'm bailing on you. I'm just saying make room for the possibility that we want different things. I mean, I want my time to count for something.

Dean: So, what we do doesn't count?

Dean's phone rings.

Dean (on phone): Yeah? Hey, Dr. Kashi. Okay. Thank you. Uh, could you run one more name for me? Yeah – Hayes, Paul. Uh-huh. And the donor? Seriously? How many others? Did anybody from Boulder, Colorado, receive any of those organs? Okay, thank you.

Dean hangs up.

Dean: Well, this is gonna singe your axons. She says that both Paul Hayes' kidney and Arthur Swenson's new eye came from – you ready for this? – Brick Holmes.

Sam: You don't mean theBrick Holmes.

Dean: I do.

Sam: The all-pro quarterback?

Dean: Indeed. Yeah, the guy played at the top of his game for like a million years, didn't he?

Sam: Yeah, he – he bought it in a car crash last year.

Sam: Nose-dived off a bridge or something. He must've signed a donor card. Did the doc say how many organs he donated?

Dean: Including our two suspects? Eight.

Sam: Eight?

Dean: Eight.

Sam: Okay, um, and one of them's in Boulder, am I right?

Dean: You would be wrong. That's the bad news. Good news is, Brick lived just outside of Boulder.

Sam: Well, Brick's dead.

Dean: Yeah, but he's all we got, so we are going to Boulder.

INT. CANDLELIT ROOM – NIGHT

RANDA dips her fingers into a bowl of blood and paints streaks on her face.

RANDA

K'uhul ajaw, Cacao, shi-jiiy. K'uhul ajaw, Cacao, shi-jiiy. K'uhul ajaw, Cacao, shi-jiiy. K'uhul ajaw, Cacao, shi-jiiy.

RANDA takes a bite of CHICK's heart. She breathes deeply and closes her eyes as energy seems to shimmer in the room and then enter her body. Her chest glows with red light for few moments. When she opens her eyes, they also glow with red light.

ACT THREE

INT. Holmes RESIDENCE – DAY

Mrs Holmes is sitting on a sofa. Sam and Dean are in chairs opposite her.

Dean: I just want to say how sorry we are for your loss, Mrs. Holmes.

Mrs Holmes

Thank you.

Sam: You know, Brick Holmes was my idol back in high school. Amazing career. Uh, 18 pro seasons, 7 division championships, 4 Super Bowls – never slowed down a day.

Mrs Holmes

Brick lived for competition and athletic perfection. I don't think it occurred to his fans that he was human, like the rest of us.

Sam: Do you know your son was an organ donor?

Mrs Holmes

Does that make this a matter for the FBI?

Dean: Like we explained earlier, we're mostly here, uh, to dot some I's on a different matter.

Mrs Holmes

There was a public-awareness thing a few years ago. A lot of star athletes signed on. I'm sure Brick didn't think twice about it, since he never thought he was going to die.

Dean: A lot of jocks are like that, I guess. You know, I-I can't help wonder what happened that night on that bridge. There was light traffic, no alcohol involved, no skid marks. Big-time athlete, reflexes like a cat, how is it that he just drives off the side of a bridge?

Mrs Holmes

When things happen that aren't supposed to happen, they're called accidents, I believe.

Sam: So, everybody knows about Brick's football career, obviously, but no one knows much about his personal life. Was he ever married?

Mrs Holmes

Just to the game. He gave it everything he had. It's a difficult life.

Dean: Did you notice any changes in Brick before he d*ed – you know, anyone, anything new in his life?

Mrs Holmes

No, no. I don't think so.

Dean: So, no new interests? Fly fishing, stamp collecting, the occult?

Mrs Holmes

The occult?

Dean: As a "for instance."

Mrs Holmes

No. Everything was just as it had been. I'm sorry, but I'm afraid my time is up. [She stands up.]The university is naming a new athletic building after Brick. I can't be late.

Sam: Of course. Just one more question.

Mrs Holmes

There is always one more question in life, isn't there? That's what I find. [She heads for the door.]

EXT. Holmes RESIDENCE – DAY

Sam: Oh, she didn't want to say much, did she?

Dean: [Checking his phone]Son of a bitch.

Dean: There it is. It happened.

Sam: Come on, don't tell me someone had their heart ripped out here in Boulder.

Dean: All right, then I won't tell you. [He heads for the driver's door of the Impala.]

Mrs Holmes watches the Impala drive away. She walks to the staircase and looks up to find RANDA standing at the top of the stairs.

Mrs Holmes

What are you doing here, Randa?

RANDA

You know I like to stay close to the mother ship. I saw a car out front, so I came in the back. Cops?

Mrs Holmes

I suppose Brick's death continues to fascinate.

RANDA

So we're clear... You're still being very careful about what you say?

Mrs Holmes

I'm old, Randa, not an idiot.

RANDA

I'm just trying to protect Brick.

Mrs Holmes

And so am I.

RANDA

Brick's heart beats inside here now. Brick gave me new life. I can feel him. It's why I moved to Boulder... to be near here. And I'll watch out for you like Brick did.

Mrs Holmes

I don't need your concern.

RANDA

We need each other, and Brick needs us. You keep our little secret safe, and the three of us will be just fine.

INT. MOTEL – DAY

Sam is sitting on a bed talking on the phone and taking notes. Dean is using the laptop at the table.

Sam (on phone): All right, Professor Morrison, that does it. The FBI thanks you. Yes, I am totally looking into adding you as a technical advisor. Yeah, it – it comes with a medical plan. All right, goodbye. [He hangs up.]

Dean: He come through?

Sam: Yeah, he did. All right, so, here's what crazy Arthur Swenson was babbling over and over. [He takes a seat opposite Dean at the table.]Um, first, it isa dead language – ancient Mayan.

Dean: Doesn't get much deader than that.

Sam: So, what Arthur was saying was "The divine god Cacao is born."

Dean: Cacao?

Sam: Cacao. Yeah, the Mayan God of maize – corn, the big crop. See, Cacao was the most powerful god because maize was the most important thing to the Mayans. Well, that and torturing and k*lling everyone in sight.

Dean: So, this is what we're looking for, is a thousand-year-old culture's god of corn?

Sam: Uh, I guess.

Dean: Well, whatever it is, we better cap it quick, or somebody in Phoenix is next up to get their heart yanked.

Sam: Someone in Phoenix got a piece of Brick?

Dean: Yeah, I got a name. Just e-mailed the cops.

We see a close-up of The Phoenix Presson the laptop screen. The relevant headline is "Phoenix Police Asking For Public's Assistance to Find Missing Man." Dean zooms in on the article. There is a photo of the missing man with the caption "Missing – Jimmy Tong."

Dean: Just heard back from them. They haven't seen the guy in days. Uh, oh, got another e-mail here, too. This one is for you. From a university. Answering questions about admissions.

Sam: Just something I'm looking into. An option.

Dean: You're seriously talking about hanging it up?

Sam: I'm not talking about anything, Dean. I'm just looking at options. [Dean stares at him.]So, what, should we just go to Phoenix and chase our tails until this guy shows his face?

Dean: No. Uh, Brick Holmes is the way into this. [He stands up and walks across the room.]Eleanor Holmes was doing her damndest not to tell us a thing. Nice job on changing the subject, though.

EXT. Holmes RESIDENCE – NIGHT

INT. Holmes RESIDENCE – NIGHT

Dean and Sam walk up the stairs, using flashlights.

Dean: All right, naming ceremony's over at 10. We got to get in and out.

Sam: Master bedroom.

They enter a large bedroom.

Dean: Closets.

Dean enters one walk-in closet and Sam another. They turn on the closet lights.

Dean: Brick's closet. Looks like the stuff hasn't been touched in a year. Man, what this stuff would go for on eBay. [He finds a bottle of peroxide in a drawer.]Hey, Sammy, would it totally crush you to know that your boy Brick wasn't a natural blond?

Sam: Dean, this is really weird.

Dean: What do you got?

Sam: I don't know. Is this Eleanor'scloset?

Dean: Why would his mother's closet be in here? Are you sure?

Sam takes a jacket and scarf off the hanging rack.

Sam: Check this out. [He steps outside the closet and holds the clothes up for Dean to see.]This is what she was wearing today when we talked to her.

Dean: Maybe she moved into Brick's room after he d*ed. Or...

Dean looks at the bed.

Sam: Oh. Thanks, Dean. Now that image is permanently etched into my retinas.

They go back into their respective closets. Dean finds another door hidden behind hanging clothes.

Dean: That's what I'm talking about.

Sam follows Dean into the hidden room. It is filled with sports trophies and memorabilia.

Sam: Wow. [He pushes past Dean.]I knew he'd have something like this in his house.

Dean: This is a lot of hardware. Okay, the football trophies I get, but there's a lot of other stuff here – I mean, baseball, boxing, race-car driving.

Sam: He was a fan. Any kind of athlete – he respected them. I mean, look at all the old stuff he's got – a cricket mallet, golf clubs, a Kendo sword, archery equipment.

Dean takes a box from a cupboard and opens it.

Dean: Hey, look at this.

He puts the box down on a table and takes out one of many letters.

CUT TO: Dean and Sam are sitting at the table reading the letters.

Sam: They're all the Same. "Dearest Betsy..." Blah blah blah. Who's Betsy?

Dean: I don't know. Girlfriend? Eleanor didn't mention a Betsy.

Sam: This one looks old. Uh, "Dearest Betsy, third day of training camp. Roadwork improving. Working on my left jab. They say this kid Sugar Ray is gonna be tough."

Dean: Sugar Ray? As in Robinson? Didn't he box in, like, the '40s? Is it signed the Same?

Sam: Yeah. "Love, me."

Dean: Here. "Dearest Betsy, on the road again. So hard to be away from you, honey. Will give the Red Sox hell and get back to you."

Sam: "Dearest Betsy..."

Dean: "Dearest Betsy, Le Mans will be a bitch this year with all the rain..."

Sam: "...the Phillies are tough, but we're looking to be tougher..."

Dean: "...them Dodgers will wish they never left Brooklyn..."

Sam: "...looking for my best gal Friday night at the Garden..."

Dean: "...our o-line hung tough. I had all day back there..."

Sam: "...Alain Prost is a monster in the straightaway..."

Dean: "Dearest Betsy..."

Sam: "Dearest Betsy..."

Dean: "Love, me."

Sam: Wait, this one looks recent. "Dearest Betsy... So tired of it all."

INT. MOTEL – NIGHT

Sam is using the laptop at the table. Dean is reading from a clipboard while sitting on a chair pulled up to one of the beds, which is covered with papers and files.

Sam: Hey. I pulled up the names on those trophies. Check it out.

Dean moves his chair over to sit next to Sam.

Sam: All right, Brick Holmes – football player. [He brings up photos on the laptop.]Charlie Karnes – race-car driver. Davey Samuelson – baseball player. Kelly Duran – boxer. Four different guys, right?

Dean: Okay.

Sam: Check this out. [He arranges the photos so that head sh*ts of the four athletes appear on the page.]Same dark eyes, Same cheekbones, nose, mouth.

Dean: Wait, are you saying that these four guys who all look to be in their mid-20s and go back 70 years could be the Same guy? Wow. For a 95-year-old, Brick Holmes could take a hit.

ACT FOUR

INT. MOTEL – NIGHT

Sam is typing on the laptop. Dean is looking at some of the papers that are spread out on the bed.

Sam: So, if all those athletes were the Same guy, how'd he pull it off? Appear, then go away and come back with a new look?

Dean: Cacao, the, uh, the – the maize God – was Mayan, right?

Sam: Yeah.

Dean: The Maya were all about w*r and t*rture and conquest... and sports. It says, "Their athletes were treated like kings." The Mayan jocks made sacrifices to Cacao by – ready for this? – k*lling a victim, pulling out his heart, and eating it. They believed the rituals gave them super-charged power over their opponents.

Sam: Yeah, but they didn't stay young forever. So, what? Maybe Brick just made some kind of deal with this Cacao?

Dean: Well, we've seen it before – people making deals with demons, gods. I mean, maybe he stayed young and strong so long as the sacrifices kept coming. Remember all that antique sports equipment he had? This guy could go back to the Mayan days.

Sam: Wow. So, one of the greatest QBs to ever play the game was over 900 years old.

Dean: Well, that explains Brick, but what about the mooks carrying his spare parts?

Sam: Maybe the spell went along for the ride and infected the people who got his organs. Remember how Paul Hayes said he had a health scare that changed his life? I mean, maybe the spell could compel him to keep carrying out the ritual.

Dean: Sort of like getting bit by a werewolf. I mean, once you're infected, you do what you got to do, especially if you like the results.

Sam: Right, except old Arthur, the dedicated cop, couldn't handle it and went nuts. [He sighs.]Brick Holmes, a heart eater. Who knew?

Dean: Yeah, sorry, buddy. The mighty – they fall hard, huh?

Sam reads something on the laptop.

Sam: Well, at least he wasn't sleeping with his mother.

Dean: Yeah, good, Sam. Find the silver lining.

Sam: No, seriously. Look.

Dean moves over to look at the laptop, which shows a photo of a woman with a boxer.

Dean: "Fighter Kelly Duran is congratulated on a second-round knockout by wife Betsy." "Dearest Betsy."

EXT. Holmes RESIDENCE – DAY

Mrs Holmes opens the door. Sam and Dean are on the doorstep in casual clothes.

Sam: Hello, Eleanor.

Dean: Or would you rather us call you Betsy?

Sam (V.O): Look, Eleanor, innocent people are dying.

Sam and Dean are in the chairs opposite the sofa as before.

Sam: And they're gonna continue to die until we stop it.

Mrs Holmes sits down on the sofa.

Dean: Did you know about the murders over the past year?

Mrs Holmes

No. I didn't. I swear. I thought when – when Brick d*ed, it would be over.

Dean: Help us. Betsy, this is not what you want Brick's legacy to be.

Mrs Holmes

His Mayan name was Inyo. He was a proud young athlete nearly 1,000 years ago. He lived for sport and never wanted his days in the sun to end. So he arranged a bargain with the god Cacao through a high priest.

Dean: Stay young forever.

Mrs Holmes

As long as the sacrifices continued, twice a year – once for the planting, once for harvest.

Sam: When did you find out about this?

Mrs Holmes

Not until I began to age and – and Brick – Kelly, as he was when I met him – did not. But by that time, Brick himself had changed... inside. He wasn't just the warrior whose only reason for living was combat. He – we were deeply, deeply in love. So in love, I'm ashamed to say, that when I found out that – how my husband stayed young and strong, I chose to ignore it.

Sam: You and Brick had to go underground from time to time to hide your secret, right?

Mrs Holmes

Every ten years or so, he would, uh, re-emerge with a new look, a new name. And me, I was the wife, and I was the woman in hiding, and then, when I got into my forties, I became Brick's mother. Eleanor. I am so tired. You can't imagine the burden of it all. I think even Brick was through. He could see the end of my days were at hand, and... He had lived centuries all alone, but I don't think he could bear the thought of life without me. That's why he drove off that bridge. You must think I'm a monster.

Dean: No. No, just that you married one. Well, see, here's the deal. Now there are eight K*llers out there that we have to deal with, not just one.

Mrs Holmes

I don't think so.

Sam: What? Why not?

Mrs Holmes

Brick used to say the heart was key. That was the focus of the sacrifice.

Dean: Are you saying that if we stop Brick's b*ating heart, then we could stop the whole thing?

Mrs Holmes nods.

Sam: Do you know where the person is who has the heart? Do you know?

EXT. THE BUNNY HOLE STRIP CLUB – DAY

The Impala pulls up. Dean parks across the street from the strip club.

Dean: Really? Our king daddy monster is a stripper?

Sam: We're pretty sure this is gonna work, right?

Dean: Well, as long as Eleanor knows what she's talking about.

Dean takes a large Kn*fe from a bag and hands it to Sam.

Sam: You think Brick thought maybe he'd burn to nothing when he crashed that car?

Dean: Yeah, but he didn't, which brings us here.

They get out of the Impala and walk towards the club.

CUT TO: Sam and Dean walk around a corner to the rear door of the club. Neon signs advertise nude dancers, exotic dancers and, pointing to the door, "Rear Entry". Dean picks the lock.

INT. THE BUNNY HOLE STRIP CLUB – DAY

Using flashlights, Dean and Sam walk upstairs and look around the club's locker room. Dean inhales.

Dean: [smiling]Smell that?

Sam: You're gross.

Sam and Dean walk up more stairs to the main room of the club. The lights come on and RANDA walks out onto the stage.

RANDA

Eleanor sent you, right? I figured she'd probably break and give me up. This won't end well for her, of course. Not that it's gonna end well for you.

Sam takes out the Kn*fe.

RANDA

Oh, now, you don't think we're gonna let you do that, do you?

Dean: "We"?

RANDA raises her eyebrows as two men att*ck Sam and Dean from either side. PAUL HAYES punches Dean into JIMMY TONG.

JIMMY TONG

I'm the guy from Phoenix you were looking for.

JIMMY TONG throws Dean onto the stage at RANDA's feet. JIMMY TONG and PAUL HAYES hold down Dean's arms.

Dean: Oh, you guys are stronger than you look.

PAUL HAYES

Comes with the package. Plus, I work out a lot.

RANDA

You can't imagine who I was before. This shy, awkward little thing from Georgia with a heart condition. Then I had the surgery. [She puts a high-heeled foot on Dean's chest.]I became freaking Xena, Warrior Princess. [She sits astride Dean.]I couldn't dissect a frog in high school. But sacrificing to Cacao? [She strokes Dean's face.]Better than sex. [She pulls aside Dean's overshirt.]So, if I go real slow [she runs a finger over Dean's chest]and take my time and enjoy this, I can actually show you your own b*ating heart before you die.

RANDA presses the fingers of one hand hard into Dean's chest, breaking the skin.

Dean: Aah! Aah! Aah!

Sam smashes a bottle over PAUL HAYES' head. As Sam and PAUL HAYES grapple, Dean plunges a Kn*fe into RANDA's stomach. Her eyes and her body around the Kn*fe wound burn with red light. JIMMY TONG lets go of Dean and steps back, and PAUL HAYES and Sam turn to watch RANDA. Dean gasps in pain. RANDA stands up, her midsection burning with red flames. Milder red light emanates from the chests of JIMMY TONG and PAUL HAYES and they fall to the ground dead. RANDA moans as she continues to burn, then bright white light flares from her midsection, the red light goes out, and she drops to the ground dead. Dean, still gasping, looks around at Sam, then drops his head back onto the stage.

ACT FIVE

Dean and Sam are standing in Mrs HOLMES' kitchen.

Dean: Well, we better get going, uh... [He puts down a coffee cup.]We just wanted you to know that it really is over now. [Sam puts down his coffee cup.]

Mrs Holmes

Well, it had to be, one way or the other. I half thought you might fail and Randa would come after me. Either way, I'd finally be at peace.

You take care of yourself, Eleanor.

Dean and Sam leave.

Impala – NIGHT

Dean: Wow. Back in business. Got the win. Admit it – feels good, huh? You know, I was thinking about what Randa said about, uh, you know, what it feels like to be a warrior. I get it, man, I do.

Sam: I know. I know you do. I don't. Not anymore. Hell, maybe I never did.

Dean: Come on, Sam, don't ruin my buzz, would you?

Sam: Dean, listen, when this is over – when we close up shop on Kevin and the tablet – I'm done. I mean that.

Dean: No, you don't.

Sam: Dean, the year that I took off, I had something I've never had. A normal life. I mean, I got to see what that felt like. I want that. I had that.

Dean: I think that's just how you feel right now.

FLASHBACK

EXT. PARK – DAY

Sam: Amelia! Amelia, this isn't funny. [He stops in the middle of the bridge and looks around.]Amelia! [The dog runs off.]Riot? Riot!

Sam runs after RIOT and finds him sitting on a picnic blanket with Amelia.

Amelia: [raising her arms]Happy birthday!

Sam: What is this?

Amelia: You've never seen a birthday cake before? Sit. Eat.

Impala – NIGHT

The flashback ends. Sam smiles a little at the memory, then glances at Dean and looks sad.

END