01x03 - Home Town Hero

Episode transcripts for the TV show, "Cold Justice". Aired: September 3, 2013 – present.*
Watch/Buy Amazon

Investigative true crime series follows former Harris County, Texas prosecutor Kelly Siegler and a team of investigators as they reopen unsolved m*rder cases with the consent and assistance of local law enforcement.

01x03 - Home Town Hero

Post by bunniefuu »

[Music] so you used to travel these roads all

the time Aguirre under all the time did you grow up on a farm or a ranch no I grew up in the middle of downtown

blessing one Main Street we don't even have a red light they have bingo like tonight's movie we're headed to my

hometown of blessing in Matagorda County Texas we were contacted by captain

richard roof with the Matagorda County Sheriff's Department and an old friend of mine up in chamblee to help with a 31

year old unsolved m*rder case On June the 6th 1982 a widow named Charlene

Corporon 48 years old was found m*rder*d in her house sh*t in the head asleep in her bedroom your office

received a telephone call he said something's bad happened to my mama we were all just shocked you know you can't

imagine what happened why and who did it she was scared of her son he had beaten her up to scare her

boyfriend and the next thing I'm is she yeah at one point Charlene's son Gary Corporon was arrested for the m*rder and

he was subsequently released and the case went cold Gary Corporon one of our

suspects he has a cousin named came forward and keep is a guy that I used to date so it's a small world how do you

keep bringing me to these places cuz I'm gonna talk you into liking them you want to make a bet on that one to this this

m*rder happened in 1982 and I had just gotten back from college for the summer and I mean everybody was talking about

it this case is the oldest case we've looked at it's 31 years old that could present some challenges let's hope that

we can find enough witnesses still around still alive to get to where we need to be Kelly and I studied the case history but there's still a lot to learn

because this case is so old I knew that the DNA evidence was going to be a challenge so I already sent the evidence

off to Sorenson lab and unfortunately all the DNA is too degraded to do

anything with but we've solved cases without DNA before so our hope is to figure out who committed this crime and

acquire enough evidence to convince the DA to take this case it

has been 16 years and still no at least consider her k*lling a cold ears later the case is still unsolved

there are so many cold cases out there just waiting to be solved the crime

scene ultimately tells the story of the m*rder we want to bring justice to these

victims [Music]

Hey hi guys are you Yolanda Yolanda

learning what a small world this is everybody knows everybody man we appreciate you guys coming to give us

nothing Gimli is a guy that my dad grew up with he worked for the Matagorda County Sheriff's Department back then

and he was involved with the case even though he didn't make the initial scene he contacted me about the idea of

working on this case again because this case has haunted him for over 30 years hopefully with y'all's help we can all put it together let's get some closure

on this thing Charlene was our neighbor she's a good woman a good lady and a

friend once you start a case like Charlene you think you might have some

input that could get closure for her and the corporate family you want to try to do the best you can for it and I think

we all heard that Johnny this is nothing shambling Johnny heard a lot about you Kelly called me in to help on this case

and I realized the best we have no physical evidence to work with so this is gonna be talking to people and trying

to figure out who's telling the truth nothing since you are here back then why don't you start him to find a story this

has happened approximately 31 years ago eight o'clock in the morning the Sheriff's Office received a call from a

Gary Corporon when he said I mother doesn't look good I need a deputy out here to get him to come quick there was an apparent g*nsh*t

wound to the head appeared to be 22 caliber b*ll*ts okay the b*llet that k*lled Charlene was so

fragmented that there's no way we can get any ballistics but the pathologist was able to confirm that the w*apon used

in this case was consistent or the 22 caliber so now we need to go back and see who possibly owns a 22 caliber g*n

are we all agreed that in this case we only have two known suspects Gary Corporon the son and Ben fried the

boyfriend yes with a 31 year old case there's always a possibility that your suspects or your witnesses have passed

but the Sheriff's Office has done a lot of legwork in this case so we know that both of our lead suspects are still

alive and living the area both of them have keys to the house there's no forced entry that doesn't appear to be a burglary

both of them have motive so for Ben fries Charlene's boyfriend what do y'all want to put on the board under his name

well Charlene had wanted to break up with him and he was trying to convince her not to break up with him she owed him money he showed quite a bit

of money 27000 Charlene had told the girlfriends that he had a temper

yes he's strange she wants to dump him there's all kinds of indications that he may have had a problem what should we

put on the board for Gary Corporon well I know in several the witness statements he would keep saying that my daddy took

me I'm getting this place or I've got three quarters interest in it now in 1982 when this m*rder happened

Charlene was living in her house alone and her son Gary and his wife Doris

lived in a trailer behind her Gary and Charlene ran the grass farm together they were in financial difficulty at the

time too a lot of debt that form was an upside down position money definitely goes in here right the farm life

insurance fact that he's the sole beneficiary in the will he stands to profit in the event of her death I'm

gonna put stands to gain all

so back in 1982 Yuri was arrested yes what happened when it was taken to the

grand jury in this particular case it was passed the deputies were told that the grand jury took no action so after

that the case went cold and then Gary was released that was not uncommon in those days because if you pass it well

maybe some more evidence will come in at a later date this happens sometimes someone can be arrested before the evidence is strong enough but in this

case maybe there just wasn't strong enough evidence because Gary didn't k*ll Charlene we always have to look at the

suspects that the original detectives focused on but this case hasn't been solved in 31 years

maybe it's someone totally different it could be a random intruder hello miss

Barbara hello miss Kelly we came to

visit Charlene's nephew and his wife the Karpin family has always had a lot of questions about what happened that day

even though their cousin Gary's a suspect I grew up with Barbara and Victor we used to go to dances together

pretty much every Friday night and Saturday night so we know each other very well and it's really cool to be able to come

home and work on a case with people that I've always known 1982 year old I was just out of high school

okay so Charlene married into the family yes but everybody got along with her yes okay great personality you know she was

outgoing it was a huge funeral you could tell this lady was well-liked well-liked tell

us about Charlene and Gary there was some pretty rough arguments between them people had told me you know he broke her

nose he twisted her arm it's so hard and Benham behind her back that he broke her arm people would tell me I remember that

I remember him b*ating her there are a lot of rumors in small towns and in this case nothing reached out to the hospital

before we arrived and the hospital says they do not have those records without that type of paperwork evidence we're

gonna have a really hard time proving it ever happened in a courtroom it's always was hard for us you know your family you

don't think that someone you know would do that to their mother it's just hard for us to believe that did you know

anything about Charlene and her boyfriend not very much no you can't imagine what happened and who did

it and you know all those questions start going through your mind you know why what everybody was really really

shocked it was so public it was on you know everyone in the county knew about it and then all of a sudden it's just fades

away yes it just fade away no there was no question no answer's no no no ending

to it why was it dropped so quickly just knowing that somebody's trying and looking into it makes us feel like your

memories not forgotten we didn't come here to get y'all's hopes up for nothing we're really trying hard I've known Kelly almost all my life and Kelly's a

very smart very determined girl when she said she wanted to do this I was like

haha we're gonna get some answers now tell your sister I said oh poor Kelly

lost her voice he didn't nice and quiet it's so quiet in here what is up with that today we

are going to the house where the m*rder occurred and Kelly loses her voice was

like are you all right I'll be fine it'd be nice if the bedrooms laid out

someone like it was happen yet I know as a CSI investigator this is imperative

for me to be able to see it firsthand I need to look at the crime scene to get

an idea of how the m*rder was committed that will hopefully tell me what type of crime this was random intruder or crime

a fashion this was Charlene's room the [ __ ] but basically the same spot the body would

have been laying the autopsy report refers to a horizontal super-efficient

right right for that to be true she would have been a sleeping position somewhat like that the sh**t came down

the hallway so he's sh**ting in the dark yes right intruder comes in points the

g*n sh**t but the sh*t grazes the victim behind the neck and goes in the

pillow she bounces up but the bottom of her is still caught up in the sheets BAM

sh**t sh**t her again she falls down slightly on her left side comes over

rolls are over the whole question is is she truly dead at that point you don't

think he rolled over and make sure she was dead yes yeah you could look at all of this okay look at all of this

transfer so she doesn't just fall back there's no robbery no m*rder w*apon the

intruder came into this home sh*t Charlene rolled her over to make sure

that she was dead this is no random intruder this was personal knowing this now we can narrow

down our focus to Gary and to Ben Frey

this is my old house right here and the Baptist preacher always lived right here when we were little so he was always

telling us y'all are sinners y'all need to get to church was here all right that's the alley that mom had chased daddy down with the butcher Kn*fe when

he was still her booze we're near my hometown of Meadow Gordy County Texas going down the road it's cool to see the

live oak trees and all the houses been down that road a million times never thought there'd be a day I was driving

down it to work on an old m*rder case most of these people that we're talking to today are people that have never been talked to with all that so maybe they

have something nobody's ever heard before it's kinda like fishing you don't know what you're gonna catch we're investigating the 31 year old m*rder of

Charlene Karpin who was found sh*t to death in her bed we still have two possible suspects

Ben fries Charlene's boyfriend or Gary Corporon her son hello George eunuch I'm

Kelly big Billy's daughter can we ask you some questions it's nothing bad Jay stop stop stop come here come here

we're opening up a cold case file for Charlene corporate homicide do you know anything about what happened way back

then not really you know whatever happened to Gary I hadn't seen him in years walking the streets of blessing talking

and interviewing all these people just like a high school reunion did you smell the whiskey I didn't smell it your

people my people four is actually knowing anything no I don't only m*rder

part mmm hello German hello I was gonna say so

far I've heard big zero I didn't get talking Gary never never you talk to Gary dang

do you remember Gary Corporon Charlene's son no y'all seen him cuz we're trying

to find them and if you see him yes ma'am your own dog got my p*stol sh*t me

no wonder you don't tell that story today's been kind of frustrating cuz I

got to visit with a lot of people but we didn't learn a whole lot to add to the case we desperately need to find some

more witnesses if we're gonna solve this m*rder and I know one person that I can count on with information is the town

barber if anything happens in Matagorda County I guarantee you he knows about it he owns a barber shop at a liquor store

combination only in small towns can you do that he's in here daddy hi how you doing

right so this is your barbershop I've heard about much when I was 12 years old

I wrote this sign for him good his haircuts for $4 now it's nine dollars that's me that's me she sweep up the

cleaning hearing all the time it always brings she Kelly with something else

her mother was after her all the time to go outside and play with the kids she stayed in the house and read books how

smart she was until she this valve Victorian she had her mind set on his lawyer business Charlene was she like a

party and lady you knew her they would go to national Hall her and her boyfriend Ian we said there's a table

with him a few times when you said her boyfriend you mean Ben fries yeah I knew him what do you like nice guy he treat

her you know I thought they got along good really yeah I worry about Gary

Corporon the son did you ever know him he'd always drive by and pick up in front out here you got some feed in the

back and he had by three them child dogs you know some bad dogs and I didn't like

him gay b*at up on Charlene two three or four or five times you know and cr*ck

your ribs and broke her collarbone and I don't know what only in different times and done stuff to her it's getting easier to see why people thought that

Gary Corporon is the one who m*rder*d Charlene even though the DA never did anything to go forward with the case

what's really important is that we learned more about those child dogs evidence we'd never heard about before

it's not mentioned in the police report if Ben Frey m*rder*d Charlene he would have had to have gotten past those dogs

so what we're gonna have to try and figure out is whether or not those dogs would have just ignored Ben and led him

onto the property see you later daddy all right we off to work yeah Kenny sitting in Richard 9 go

talk to the Frances don't act she was Charlie's best friend times m*rder*r and we're hoping that she can give us some more information on our two

suspects even Charlene we're good friends for how long years Halfin would you see her every day

were you aware of any problems than that often yes what what kind between her and

her son yeah just to give you an example she told me that one night he took her

and tied her in a chair and then he took a g*n and he held it to her head and told her there's only one b*llet

he kept snapping it well it was empty but I mean that that's what he tweeted her actually tied her to a chair and put

a g*n to her head that's right did you ever see him do anything physically abusive toward her no just what she told me did she ever

disclose she was scared of Gary no no she said she was scared her boyfriend before she got k*lled you

talking about mr. Frey Ben Frey is that the boyfriend you yeah okay I thought

possibly that he k*lled her she told me that he was getting weird and I said you

better leave him alone and the next thing I knew she was dead she was gonna quit going with him and I don't think he

could handle it that a week after she was buried he called up me when I heard

his boss I just went hair stood up on my head you know because I really thought that he'd

k*lled her talking of Frances we actually expect to get some evidence that Gary Corporon k*lled his mother but

she was very suspicious of Ben Frey it wasn't what we expected I think we need to take a closer look at Ben for sure

[Music] this is the courthouse this is the DA

has his office here that's always where I thought I would end up being the district attorney in Matagorda County really that was my dream it's kind of

weird to be in my hometown of Matagorda County Texas investigating the 31 year old m*rder of Charlene Corcoran a member

of a family who I've known all my life we still have two possible suspects Ben fries Charlene's boyfriend or Gary

Carper and her son if you don't mind I'd like you to come back here and cam bring his sure bring the coffee you bet come

on back Daniel Zuma a man who lived and worked at the farm flew all the way here from Kansas and I'm hoping he has some

information about the case you worked for Gary and Charlene in 1981 right how

many times would you say you saw him get into a verbal argument every day an

argument can be leave me alone mama I'm tired is that the kind of argue argument you're talking about okay use the words

his favorite words while you'd blow your head off and just take the money and go right in front of you yeah I mean he was

actually getting his mother's face show me what you mean oh he there was one time she was set down and he walked up and he goes just

like this okay what about his child augs could a stranger go up to Charlene's house I

don't know how they would get past the dogs his dog was better than any burglar

alarm back then she dated a guy named Ben fry and they acted this Ben fry came

up to Charlene's house oh hey Mark and raise hell okay you know if our k*ller were Ben fry and those dogs would have

barked at him Gary doors his wife or Charlene somebody should have heard those dogs barking Mr

Zuma earlier on you talked about the bargman said they had what would be the reason Darien Charlene would get into

their ugliest fights what were the fights funny she was mad at him because he was kissing her to way faster than

we're coming in one day he'd have a roll of money to choke a mule there didn't be a flat ass broke why do you think he'd a

diner she finally said you're done I'm taking you off all the checking accounts no I'm he k*lled her no there's no

question in my mind I know he would if money truly is the motive for Gary Corporon k*ll

mom then I want to prove that and the life insurance policy the hundred thousand dollars is the key to that just

Johnny bonds we're about five minutes out so Johnny bonds and the guys were

going to talk to the banker who has most information about all their financial dealings I'll show him the records that

were subpoenaed thirty years ago 1982 and see if he can explain what they mean

I'm Johnny bonds yeah nice to meet you sir you remember this life insurance policy the way it looks is like that's

an account collateral that's what everybody's thinking that the son Gary

collected that hundred thousand dollars but doesn't state that I appreciate you

the banker wasn't sure but he thinks that the hundred thousand dollar life insurance policy was used as collateral

alone on the farm which was heavily in debt and losing money if that's the case then that hundred thousand dollars would

not have gone to Gary here's something we need to consider there's a possibility that Gary didn't even know

that $100,000 policy existed the life insurance yes if Gary Koren didn't collect the life

insurance policy then we just lost one of his primary possible motivations for what his mother did

I'm still thinking Ben fries a good suspect like when they do a lot more work on Ben fry

let's fry I'm Johnny bonds Ben fries in the middle of all of this so it's time

for Johnny bonds and the guys to go meet Ben fry to look him in the eye and to ask him all those questions that have

never been asked before I gotta ask you something I'm gonna be a real honest with you I've read the statement she made back in 1982 and I suspect you just

about as much as Gary Charlene had told the girlfriends that he had a temper yes Charlene wanted to break up with him

Charlie no been around $27,000 and try to defend my own self but I've been

living because in my opinion you had a motive because she owed you money and from what I've read she was trying to

break off the relationship with you is that true I hauled grass from her mother

and daddy's place over there and planted it I spent a lot of money and good yeah I remember reading reports something like $27,000 and she was slipping off

with another fella from Bay City driving a white Cadillac they went dancing their time too I caught him at the dance but I went on

about my binge the morning this happened you started calling her at 6 o'clock in the morning yes sir I called and I called and I

colorful he answered the phone and he was acting kind of funny when he acts I'd phone oh really yeah what'd he take he told me his mother was

dead come here quick and they were having a big problem she kept giving him money and he wanted more money and more

money she was afraid of her own son another time he had spanked her real

hard and heavy before I got there on the side of the evening you mean like over his knees [ __ ] yes

with his open hand that's what she said yeah the other time they had a fistfight

and she falls in he falters you know and she had a not a black eye but a bruised eye huh did you ever hear Jerry say that

he was gonna do anything to it he always said that one day he was gonna k*ll her he said that to you how many times did

he say man I don't know how many times but he did say that that he said all

righty I was afraid all along we were both gonna get k*lled and I was fixing to cut

things off completely but I was just gradually working my way out she was a sweet lady every day I think about it

do you remember Gary having a child dog yet only your head child dog was a bad

book he'd run to lose most of the time yes sir if you drove up over there he barked at you yes sir would you get out you jump

out the truck or no I had the weight loss been fried comes across as a very honest and open person he answers every

question without hesitation if he's the k*ller we don't have a whole lot from him

while John is out talking to Ben Frey I want to be thinking about the m*rder w*apon we're never gonna be able to find the

m*rder w*apon in this case so the next best thing is to put in the hands of Gary Corporon

22 so today we're gonna go to Palacios Texas to talk to a boy I grew up with and also his father let's see if they

know anything about a 22 caliber w*apon they Jerry supposedly carried around with him me my sister my dad Gary and

his wife put him on a fishing trip and we went offshore in the boat d*ed and so

we had to call the Coast Guard somebody couldn't pull us in we just took the rod and reels and threw him over the side we

started catching a lot of little sharks and we always carried a 22 r*fle on the boat to take care of things like that

well I turned to go get the g*n and I heard guys say you don't need to and about that time I heard like four sh*ts

Bam Bam Bam Bam and I asked Gary I said what do you got he handed it to me 22 p*stol it was

about it right about in my hand on your hand like water backed my hand I handed it back to him he said yeah always carry

in my pocket cuz you don't never know when you're gonna need it and you said des y'all are having motor trouble Coast

Court had to come they were young Coast Guardsmen sanic so he wrote out the deal you know and I took it and I signed it

you know that we had been boarded the Coast Guard paperwork and the day you're talking about is all the stuff same day

they can stay definitively Gary Koren used the 22 p*stol but the best part of

it is that the paperwork from the Coast Guard puts that w*apon in Gary Corp ins hands one week before the m*rder

thank y'all very much it's huge the evidence is stacking up against Gary

Corbin but before we can focus on him we need to come to an agreement and discuss what we all feel about Ben fry okay so

is there any reason we need the beach still consider and Ben fry as a suspect trying to put myself and Ben fried shoes

had come over there the intent of k*lling her and she owed me $27,000 and he knew that she had all this jewelry

and I would have taken some of that jewelry to get my money back with but that wasn't the case I don't think he

could have approached that house with shadows marking or raising Cain especially after your hearing already from a couple people that those dogs

were me and would alert them if anybody stepped on that property I'm they acted this bin pride came up to Charlene's house Oh a

bargain raise hell I've talked to hundreds of K*llers and there's no doubt in my mind he is not a k*ller I promise

you he had nothing to do with he's gonna be a great witness that's awesome Ben Frey has been a suspect in a lot of

people's minds for 31 years anybody disagree nothing Richard yo and now it's time to clear his name

mark him off the board and let the world know he had nothing to do with Charlene's m*rder we used to have two

suspects and now we're down to one we're left with Gary Koren it's time to talk to the man who's at the center of all

this Gary corporate there's a windmill out there maybe it's up here on the left

is definitely on the bootys it's time now for us to finally get down to talking to Gary corporate and Doris his

wife about what happened that day so the plan is for nubbin and me to try and talk to Doris while Johnny bonds and

Richard ruth try and get ahold of Gary coronary so that's his house if somebody's home

we've got a car coming out Kelly it looks like the wife Doris is in the car

I think she saw us okay so we're gonna follow her yeah doors nubbin and I go

follow her to try and catch her attorney okay y'all need to get close to the houses you might be leaving soon we're speeding trying to catch up with her we

don't wanna lose her that's our only lead god damn it you gotta be kidding we've lost Doris and we don't know where she's

going everybody drives a pickup truck hopefully carries in the house when we

give them to go with us does that hurt right there bet that's her that's the truck right there

that's the truck yeah sure enough we see the truck pulling into the nursing home where we think Doris korfin works

optin we're down the street from the nursing home we're pretty sure that we saw Doris Cora walk inside don't

approach her too you know we bred the house we're waiting on y'all don't worry

what God Kelly I've been waiting for this day I saw they've endured years okay hello

hello right here

hey anybody here are you Johnny and Richard are trying to

locate our main suspect in this case Gary corporate are you gay oh okay my

name is Johnny bonds huh how are you okay we're working on your grandmother's

m*rder case then we're gonna talk to you dad about it yes Gary here Africa okay

he's in Africa working on an offshore oil rig so I guess we're not gonna be talking to Gary today what's going on

he's in the Africa what Gary corporate is a redneck country boy Angola Africa I

never thought that would happen but I'm

not gonna talk to him for right now Doris is right there yeah all right let's roll Doris Johnny bonds

that's me ma'am this could be a good thing cuz if Gary's not here Gary can't manipulate what

everybody else does and how they answer the questions we're here cuz we want to talk to you about what happened back in

1982 to Charlene what did Gary tell you he found when he went inside the house that day he was inside and he found her

dead how was he acting was very flushed he was white he was very upset

did it scare you oh yeah I mean you don't know who it might have been if it

was somebody that we're just passing through the woods how could somebody come past y'all's dogs do you think did

you ever ask Gary if he had anything to do with it you know I didn't because

things were good with them you never thought that Gary abused and hurt Charlene I know that they could had lots

of problems in the past did you know about her being admitted to the hospital one time for being beaten up yes

okay there's $100,000 life insurance policy who live was the beneficiary on it

laughing gary was so he got that money really it's been a long time and we gave

all of our statements way back then course I think you've figured it out you

know I haven't figured anything out I think yeah you might not want to believe

it but you know he did it no I don't know either I'll stake my life Jerry did

not do it you could see that it was affecting her he was breathing real quickly she's tapping her foot

now that doors corporate knows were here and knows that we've reopened the case there's no way she's not gonna pick up

the phone and tell her husband everything that she knows the good thing is that even though she's doing her best it's still think about Gary she said a

couple of things in there that help I agree I mean for one thing we're nailed down the dogs again and a life insurance yes I mean we got

motive locked in for sure yeah Doris tells us that all $100,000 of the

life-insurance policy went to Gary corporate it's huge because Gary corporate can never get up there and say

I didn't benefit from my mother's death I didn't care about the money it wasn't important to me yes it was he got everything okay

[Music]

the next step is for us to draw up the probable cause so that we can present it to the district attorney so he can

decide whether or not he believes there's sufficient evidence to charge Garry Corcoran with the m*rder of his

mother the case against Gary Corporon is a strong case he has all the motive in the world

his favorite words were I'll get blow your head off and you take money and go then we have the whole financial

situation and $100,000 life-insurance policy it was a beneficiary on it mr.

Starr Delic statement put a 22 w*apon and Gary corporals hand one week before the m*rder he handed to me 22 p*stol it

was about it fit right about in my hand right hand you piece it together little

by little and we're there in this case against Gary corporate this is good let's give it to the DA it's all done we

sent it to Steven Risa da what we want to hope for here is for Steven to tell Richard I'll take it to a grand jury

this actually went to the grand jury before right yeah they took no action and then it goes to the side and people

forget about it and I think that the whole point of it the last week or so is that we've gone back and talked to a lot

of those same people plus all of our new people and found all these other new things that add to the story Matagorda

County has a different DA then there was back then as I miss Stephen Reis and he

wants to review everything contained in the courts file and in the old file so that's the good news for today that he's

very thorough the bad news is we're not gonna get an answer today as to what his thoughts are about the case so I guess

we just have to wait and be patient and keep our fingers crossed

hello okay what well tell me thinking

through the DA just called me and he

says that there's something that he's discovered that's gonna have a huge impact on the case it wants to talk to

me about it in person I don't know what this means I'm worried it might mean that this case is gonna stay cold

forever Kelley he's been in a meeting

with the Matagorda DA's office for hours we're all sitting on pins and needles wondering what is going on hey hey guys

hey friends we just came from DEA Steven Reese's office and he typed up a

statement that will answer our question because it's different than you anticipated based on my review of court

documents I believe Gary Wayne Corbin was indicted on September 20th 1982 for the m*rder of

Charlene Corporon so if a grand jury indicted Gary because they had enough probable cause to take

him to trial for Charlene's m*rder what happened to the trial I have requested additional investigation into the

impropriety zhh which appeared to have caused a thirty-one year delay in

prosecuting this case to conclusion signed Stephen Reese District Attorney all right let me see if I got this

straight Gary Corporon got indicted for murdering his mother Charlene Corporon 31 years ago the case was never

dismissed but it's never gone to trial it's just disappeared correct how does

that the first for me I've never heard of when the current DA reviewed the sealed grand jury documents that no one

can have access to except for the DA he found out this new information that none of us could have ever anticipated or

known about in fact the old grand jury in 1982 indicted Gary Corporon for

m*rder what we want to happen happened 1982 he was indicted well why wouldn't

he tried that's why there's an investigation that doesn't surprise me what would have happened if we hadn't

reopened this nobody would have ever known you know it makes me sick to my stomach to think that something like this could happen

even in the county where I grew up but the DA did give us some other information today Steven Risa district attorney told us

that he is planning to take this case into a new grand jury asking them to

indict Gary Corporon for the m*rder of Charlene from 1980 to now I love what's happening the current DA is going to take all of

the information from the old case along with all of the fantastic new information that we uncovered this week

and go to a new grand jury and ask them for a superseding indictment for Gary

Corporon to be indicted for the m*rder of Charlene Koren I can't tell you the feeling after 31 years believe it

[Music] all right it's over

oh right awesome I hope my wife hears that I was right it's been a wonderful

experience in my hometown after 31 years we get to clear the name of Ben Frey and the best part is now we get to go tell

the corporate family that we've gotten answers and now they can get justice I guess y'all had a pretty busy week first

let me tell you why we're here he is he's in Angola Africa really and he left

two weeks ago today we go talk to the DEA Stephen Reese it's his opinion that

Gary Corbin was indicted for m*rder on September 20th 1982

how can you mean that's why there's a new investigation into the impropriety

of the paperwork and the possibility of criminal charges being filed oh my gosh

yeah Stephen Reese is gonna take all the old stuff form 82 all the stuff we

learned this week that made the case stronger made the case good and present it to a grand jury and asked them to

indict Gary for murdering Charlene so it's all good news you know you hate to

think that God my family member did that but now to know that our suspicions

weren't unfounded they weren't crazy they were yeah but as a family I want to

thank you all very very much for y'all's hard work in and for bringing this up when you first approached this totally

aggressive if there's anybody that can do this it's gonna be Kelly sir I said

knowing Kelly you know there's only one person I know that hates to lose more than me it's very bittersweet to talk to

the corporates and tell them what we found out you know he's their family member it makes them sad I'm sure to

hear that but mostly they just wanted answers and we're able to do that we're able to give them the answers to all

their questions are we gonna order some turkey fryers

child June yet no Phillip Mignogna after let Magnon Lisa we need an appetizer

turkey fries Viktor and Barbara are very they're very happy I said thank y'all

very much for all the hard work I don't really know how you describe an experience like this getting to come

home to work on this case with my family and friends and everybody's cooperating and it turns out the right way

somebody's name gets cleared and we saw the m*rder case that everyone here is wondered about for such a long long time

there's sisters pictures up there and where's yours a.m. pick me

well it was a live screen rice festival queen candidates oh really sure your sister on yeah yeah there's no

way that [ __ ] should have been a beauty pageant but I cheered her on here's to

our people [Music]