02x10 - Hunted

Episode transcripts for the TV show "Supernatural". Aired: September 2005 to November 2020.*

Moderators: thehoundandthebird, coco96

Watch/Buy Amazon  Merchandise

Two brothers follow their father's footsteps as "hunters" fighting evil supernatural beings of many kinds including monsters, demons, and gods that roam the earth.

02x10 - Hunted

Post by bunniefuu »

2.10 Hunted

Air Date: 11 Jan 2007

Teaser

INT. PSYCHIATRIST's OFFICE - DAY

Dr. George Waxler, M.D. (according to the business card on the table) is sitting across from his patient, Scott Carey. A tape recorder sits on the table between them.

Dr. Waxler: Don't be afraid, Scott. You can tell me anything, you know that. Whatever you say won't leave this room.

Scott: It started a little over a year ago. Migraines at first. Then I found I could do . . . stuff.

Dr. Waxler: What do you mean, "do stuff"?

Scott: I have this ability. When I touch something, I can electrocute it if I want.

Dr. Waxler: How do you know?

Scott: I did it to the neighbor's cat. Its insides fried up like a hamburger.

Dr. Waxler frowns and takes a note, his face passive.

Scott: You don't believe me.

Dr. Waxler: I believe that you believe it.

Scott: (leans forward, extending his hand)

Then here. Wanna shake on it?

Dr. Waxler: Why would you want to k*ll the neighbor's cat?

Scott: I don't. He wants me to, and he doesn't want me to stop there.

Dr. Waxler: Who?

Scott: The yellow-eyed man. He comes to me in my dreams. Tells me to do things, awful things. But I tell him no, no, I don't want to!

Dr. Waxler: What else does the yellow-eyed man tell you?

Scott: He . . . he has plans for me.

Dr. Waxler: What kind of plans?

EXT. PARKING LOT - NIGHT

Scott is walking alone under a dark and creepy train track. He hears something.

Scott: Hello?

As he gets to his car, he sees a dark figure reflected in the window. Scott turns slowly and sees that it's a man holding a Kn*fe. The man stabs Scott twice, k*lling him. Blood flows from his mouth.

END Teaser

ACT ONE

TITLE CARD: SUPERNATURAL

EXT. LAKESIDE - DAY

Dean: Before Dad d*ed he, he told me something — something about you.

Sam: What? Dean, what did he tell you?

Dean: He said that he wanted me to watch out for you, to take care of you.

Sam: He told you that a million times.

Dean: No, this time was different. He said that I had to save you.

Sam: Save me from what?

Dean: He just said that I had to save you, that nothing else mattered; and that if I couldn't, I'd . . .

Sam: You'd what, Dean?

Dean: That I'd have to k*ll you. He said that I might have to k*ll you, Sammy.

Sam: k*ll me? What the hell is that supposed to mean?

Dean: I don't know.

Sam: I mean, he must have had some kind of reason for saying it, right? Did he know the demon's plans for me? Am I supposed to go Darkside or something? What else did he say, Dean?

Dean: Nothing, that's it, I swear.

Sam: How could you not have told me this?

Dean: Because it was Dad, and he begged me not to.

Sam: Who cares?! Take some responsibility for yourself, Dean! You had no right to keep this from me!

Dean: You think I wanted this? Huh? I wish to God he'd never opened his mouth. Then I wouldn't have to walk around with this screaming in my head all day.

Sam turns and takes a few steps away, fuming.

Sam: We've just got to figure out what's going on, then, what the hell all this means.

Dean: We do? I've been thinking about this, I think we should just lay low. You know? At least for a while. It'd be safer. And that way I can make sure —

Sam: What? That I don't turn evil? That I don't turn into some kind of k*ller?

Dean: I never said that.

Sam: Jeez, if you're not careful you will have to waste me one day, Dean.

Dean: I never said that! Damnit, Sam, this whole thing is spinning out of control. All right? You're immune to some weirdo demon virus, and I don't even know what the hell anymore. And you're pissed at me, I get it. That's fine, I deserve it. But we lay low until we figure out our next move, okay?

Sam: Forget it.

Dean: Sam, please, man. Hey, please. Just give me some time. Give me some time to think, okay? I'm begging you here, please. Please.

Sam nods reluctantly.

EXT. VELVET INN MOTEL - NIGHT

EPISODE TITLE: HUNTED

Sam leaves a motel room alone, a bag over his shoulder. He walks quietly past the Impala to a small black car; he opens the door with a coat hanger, looks around, and gets in. He drives away.

EXT. CABIN - NIGHT

Sam is standing outside a dark house, holding a piece of motel stationary from The Blue Rose Motel, with an address written on it. He approaches the house cautiously. He picks the lock and enters; the house is dark. As he passes through the doorway he trips a wire at floor level, which triggers a grenade. It explodes; he screams. A close sh*t of his smoking boots dissolves into a flash of light, then into: INT. BEDROOM - NIGHT

Ava, a young woman (born in 1983, perhaps?) wakes up from the vision/nightmare, gasping. The Man behind her stirs.

Man: Hey, honey?

Ava: Oh.

Man: You okay?

Ava: No, I just had another nightmare. It's fine, it's nothing. Just go back to sleep.

Man: You sure?

Ava: Yeah.

She lays down again, still panting.

END ACT ONE

ACT TWO

INT. ROADHOUSE - NIGHT

Sam enters the ROADHOUSE, and heads turn. Ellen is behind the bar, and looks up as he approaches. She smiles knowingly.

Ellen: Sam.

Sam: Hey, Ellen.

(grinning sheepishly)

You don't seem that surprised to see me.

Ellen: Well, your brother's been calling, worried sick, looking for you.

Sam: Yeah. Figured he might.

Ellen: What's going on between you two?

Sam: So, um, how's Jo?

Ellen: (nodding)

Well, I don't really know.

Sam: What do you mean?

Ellen: Well, I haven't seen her in weeks. She sends a postcard now and again.

Sam: Well, what happened?

Ellen: Well, after she worked that job with you boys she decided she wanted to keep on hunting. I said "not under my roof", and she said "fine".

Sam: So I'm probably the last person you want to see right now.

Ellen: (throaty Chuckle)

Oh, don't get me wrong. I wish I could blame the hell out of you boys. It's be easier. Truth is, it's not your fault. Sam. None of it is. I want you to know that I forgave your daddy a long time ago for what happened to my Bill. I just don't think he ever forgave himself.

Sam: What did happen?

Ellen: Um, so, why did you come here, sweetie?

Sam: I need help.

LATER

Ellen and Sam are talking to Ash, who is looking around furtively.

Ash: What am I looking for, Sam?

Sam: Other people, other psychics, like me. As many as possible, and I need a nationwide search.

Ellen: But I thought there was no way to track them all down. Not all of them had nursery fires like you did.

Sam: Well, no, but some had to. Start there.

LATER

Ash emerges from his back room with a piece of paper in his hand. He gives it a flourish.

Ash: Done, and done.

Sam: That was fast.

Ash: Well, apparently, that's my job. Make the monkey dance at the keyboard.

Ellen: Just tell us what you got, Ash.

Ash: Four folks fit the profile nationwide. Born in '83, mother d*ed in a nursery fire, the whole shebang.

Sam: Four? That's it?

Ash: Sam Winchester from Lawrence, Kansas, Max Miller from Saginaw, Michigan, Andrew Gallagher from Guthrie, Oklahoma, and uh, another name. Scott Carey.

Sam: You got an address?

Ash: Kind of. The Arbor Hill Cemetery in Lafayette, Indiana. Plot four-eighty-six.

Sam: So he's dead?

Ash: k*lled, about a month ago.

Sam: k*lled how?

Ash: Stabbed. Parking lot. Fuzz don't have much, no suspects,

Sam: All right. Thank you.

As he gets up to leave, Ash slaps him on the back; when he's out of eyeshot Ash picks up Sam's half-full beer and starts drinking it.

Ellen: Where are you going?

Sam: Indiana.

Ellen: Sam? I've gotta call Dean, I've gotta let him know where you are.

Sam: Ellen. I'm trying to find answers, about who I am. And my brother means well, but he can't protect me from that. Please.

Ellen nods reluctantly.

INT. Carey HOUSE - DAY

Sam is sitting with Scott's father in his living room, talking.

Mr. Carey: So you say you went to high school with Scott?

Sam: Uh, yes sir, I did. I just heard about what happened, I'm so sorry.

Mr. Carey: Scotty was a good boy. He changed a lot since you knew him.

Sam: What do you mean?

Mr. Carey: It started about a year ago with these headaches. And then he got depressed, paranoid, nightmares.

Sam: Nightmares? Um, did he ever talk to you about his nightmares? What he saw, or,

Mr. Carey: No, no. He closed up with me. I tried to get him help, but nothing took. He'd just lock himself in his room for days.

Sam: You think maybe I could see his room?

INT. Scott's ROOM - DAY

Sam pokes around. The room contains a bare bed with a sleeping bag, some bookshelves covered in books and cassette tapes. On the bedside table he sees several bottles of pills, prescribed by Dr. George Waxler. Sam looks behind him, then pockets one bottle. He opens Scott's closet and shoves aside the clothes to reveal a collage of yellow eyes cut out of photos or magazines, glued to the wall. He stares.

EXT. BLUE Rose MOTEL - NIGHT

Sam walks across the parking lot. As he gets to the door he senses he's being followed; he turns and grabs the figure behind him, shoving her against the wall. It is Ava.

Sam: Who are you?

Ava: Please! You're in danger.

INT. BLUE Rose MOTEL - NIGHT

Ava is pacing, talking somewhat frantically.

Ava: Okay, look, I know how all this sounds, but I am not insane and I am not on dr*gs. Okay? I am normal, and this is way, way off the map for me.

Sam: All right, all right, just, just calm down. Okay? What's your name?

Ava: Ava.

Sam: Ava?

Ava: Ava Wilson.

Sam: Ava, I'm Sam Winchester, all right? Now, you were telling me about these dreams of yours?

Ava: Uh, yeah, uh, okay, about a year ago I started having these, like, headaches, and just, nightmares, I guess. And I really didn't think much of it until I had this one dream where I saw this guy get stabbed in a parking lot.

Sam: When was this?

Ava: Uh, about a month ago. But, anyway, a couple of days later, I found this.

She pulls out a newspaper clipping and hands it to Sam; it reads "LOCAL Man STABBED TO DEATH IN PARKING LOT" next to a picture of Scott Carey. Sam takes the clipping.

Ava: I saw this guy die, days before it happened. I don't know why, I don't know, it's just for some reason, my dreams are coming true. And last night I had another one.

Sam: Okay.

Ava: About you. I saw you die.

Sam: How did you find me?

Ava: Oh, uh, you had motel stationary, and I Googled the motel, and it was real, and so I just thought that I should warn you.

Sam: I don't believe this.

Ava: Oh, oh, of course you don't. You think I'm a total nutjob.

Sam: Wait, no, no, no, I mean, you must be one of us.

Ava: Sorry, one of, one of who?

Sam: One of the Psychics. Like me. Look, Ava, I have visions too, all right? So we're connected.

Ava: (laughs)

Okay, so, you're nuts. That's great.

Sam: Okay, okay, look. Did your mother happen to die in a house fire?

Ava: No, my mother lives in Palm Beach!

Sam: So you don't fit the pattern either.

Ava frowns at him in confusion.

EXT. BLACKTOP - NIGHT

Dean is driving alone, and his cell phone rings. He picks up.

Dean: Hello?

Ellen: (at the ROADHOUSE)

It's Ellen.

Dean: Hey, have you heard from Sam?

Ellen: I have, but he made me promise not to tell you where he is.

Dean: Come on, Ellen, please. Something bad could be going on here, and I swore I'd look after that kid.

Ellen: Now Dean, they say you can't protect your loved ones forever.

(b*at)

Well, I say screw that. What else is family for? He's in Lafayette, Indiana.

Dean: Thanks.

INT. BLUE Rose MOTEL - NIGHT

Ava: Why can't you just leave town? Please? Before you blow up?

Sam: No, I can't.

Ava: Oh, god. Why not?

Sam: Because there's something going on here, Ava. With you, with me. I mean, there are others like us out there. And we're all a part of something, and I've got to figure out what.

Ava: Okay. you know what? Screw you, buddy. Okay? Because I'm a secretary from Peoria and I'm not part of anything! Okay? Do you see this?

(she fingers her engagement ring)

I am getting married in eight weeks. I am supposed to be at home addressing invitations, which I am way behind on, by the way. But instead, I drove out here to save your weirdo ass. But if you just want to stay here and die, fine. Me? I'm due back on Planet Earth.

Sam: Don't you want to know why this is happening? I mean, don't these visions scare the hell out of you? Because if you walk out that door right now you might never know the truth. I need your help.

INT. Dr. Waxler's OFFICE - DAY

Ava is sitting in Waxler's office in a therapy session, to cover for Sam's mission of covert theft.

Dr. Waxler: So, Ms. Wilson, you're new in town.

Ava: That's right.

Dr. Waxler: And what made you decided to seek out therapy?

Ava: I have no idea.

Dr. Waxler: No?

Ava: No. I mean, I'm feeling really super anxious right now,

Dr. Waxler: Okay, anything else?

Ava: Um . . .

(she sees Sam inching by on the window ledge outside)

Holy crap!

Dr. Waxler: What?

(he turns to the window as a few pigeons fly off)

Ava: I just remembered, when I was a kid, I swallowed like, eight things of pop rocks and then drank a whole can of coke, you don't think that that counts as a su1c1de attempt, do you?

INT. BLUE Rose MOTEL - DAY

Ava and Sam return to the motel room with Scott's files. Ava looks stunned.

Sam: Are you okay?

Ava: Am I okay?

Sam: Yeah.

Ava: I just helped you steal some dead guy's confidential psych files. I'm awesome!

LATER

The voice recorder from the Teaser is sitting on the table, next to an open file folder. A record from the therapy session is playing.

Scott's Voice: It started a little over a year ago. Migraines, at first. Then I found I could do . . . stuff.

Waxler's Voice: What do you mean, do stuff?

Scott's Voice: I have this ability. When I touch something, I can electrocute it if I want.

EXT. BLUE Rose MOTEL - DAY

Dean pulls into the parking lot in the Impala; when he sees Sam through the window of his room he sighs in relief.

Dean: Oh, thank god you're okay.

Sam moves aside, revealing Ava through the window. Dean smiles.

Dean: Oh, you're better than okay. Sam, you sly dog!

INT. BLUE Rose MOTEL - DAY

The recording continues; Sam is leaning over the table, looking more concerned.

Waxler's Voice: What else does the yellow-eyed man say?

Scott's Voice: He has plans for me. He says there's a w*r coming. That people like me, we're going to be the soldiers. Everything's about to change.

(the recording ends)

Ava: He's not talking about us, right?

Sam: Yeah, I think he is.

Ava: But how can we turn into that?

Sam: I don't -

The window above Sam's head shatters as it's hit with a b*llet. He dives to the floor with Ava, shielding her body with his.

Sam: Get down!

Ava: Oh my god!

EXT. MOTEL - DAY

Across the street, Gordon is on a rooftop with a sn*per r*fle; he continues to take aim and fire at the motel room.

INT. MOTEL - DAY

Ava: What's happening?

Sam: I don't know.

EXT MOTEL - DAY

As Gordon is about to take another head-sh*t at Sam, Dean jumps him from behind.

Dean: Gordon!

Dean kicks Gordon hard, then pins him down on his back, hitting him over and over again in the face. He grabs him by the collar.

Dean: You do that to my brother, I'll k*ll you!

Gordon: Dean, wait.

Gordon manages to grab the r*fle and slam it into Dean twice, knocking him out. He stands over Dean, panting and gushing blood from his lip.

END ACT TWO
ACT THREE

EXT. MOTEL ROOF - DAY

Ava and Sam investigate the roof from which Gordon was sh**ting at them.

Ava: Wait, I don't understand. Shouldn't we be talking to the cops?

Sam: Trust me, that wouldn't do us much good.

(picking up a shell)

These are .223 caliber. Subsonic grounds, the guy must have put a suppressor on the r*fle.

Ava: Dude, who are you?

Sam: Oh. I just, uh, I just watch a lot of TJ Hooker.

He pulls out his cell phone.

Ava: Who are you calling?

Sam: My brother. I think we definitely need help.

INT. CABIN - DAY

Dean is tied to a chair, and Gordon is holding the phone to his ear.

Dean: Hello?

Sam: Dean!

Dean: Sam, I've been looking for you.

Sam: Yeah. Look, I'm in Indiana, uh Lafayette.

Dean: I know.

Sam: You do?

Dean: Yeah, I talked to Ellen. Just got here myself. It's a real funky town. You ditched me, Sammy.

Sam: Yeah, I'm sorry. Look, right now there's someone after me.

Dean: What? Who?

Sam: I don't know, that's what we need to find out. Where are you?

Dean: I'm staying at, uh, 5637 Monroe St., why don't you meet me here?

Sam: Yeah. Sure.

(hangs up.)

INT. CABIN - NIGHT

Gordon: Now, was that so hard?

Dean: Bite me.

EXT. MOTEL ROOF - DAY

Sam is putting his phone away, looking worried.

Ava: What is it?

Sam: My brother's in trouble.

Ava: What?

Sam: He gave me a codeword. Someone's got a g*n on him.

Ava: Codeword?

Sam: Yeah. Funkytown.

(b*at)

Well, he thought of it. It's kind of a . . .long story, I, come on.

INT. CABIN - DAY

Gordon has his back to Dean; he opens a canvas bag and starts pulling out weapons.

Dean: So Gordy. I know me and Sam ain't exactly your favorite people, but don't you think this is a little extreme?

Gordon: What, you think this is revenge?

Dean: Well, we did leave you tied up in your own mess for three days.

(laughs)

Which was awesome. Sorry, I shouldn't laugh.

Gordon: Yeah. I was definitely planning on whuppin' your ass for that.

Dean: Mm-hmm.

Gordon: But that's not what this is. This isn't personal. I'm not a k*ller, Dean. I'm a hunter. And your brother's fair game.

He slams a Kn*fe into its sheath; cut to Dean's shocked face.

EXT. STREET - DAY

Sam and Ava approach her blue VW beetle.

Ava: I don't think I should leave.

Sam: I want you out of harm's way, Ava.

Ava: What about you?

Sam: Harm's way doesn't really bother me.

Ava: No, but you are walking right into my vision. I mean, this is how you die.

Sam: Doesn't matter. It's my brother.

Ava: Maybe I could help!

Sam: You've done all you can. Just, just go back to your fiance.

Ava: Are you sure?

Sam: Yes, I'm sure. Go home, Ava. You'll be safe there.

Ava: (she gets in the car)

Well, just, promise me you'll call, then. I mean, when you get your brother, just to let me know that everything's all right.

Sam: I promise.

INT. CABIN - DAY

Gordon is leaning against a pillar, cradling a r*fle and speaking casually.

Gordon: See, I was doing an exorcism down in Louisiana. Teenage girl, seemed routine, some low-level demon. But between all the jabbering and the head-spinning, the damn thing muttered something. About a coming w*r. And I don't think it meant to, it just kind of slipped out. But it was too late. Peaked my interest. And you can really make a demon talk, you got the right tools.

Dean: And what happened to the girl it was possessing?

Gordon: She didn't make it.

Dean: (shaking his head)

Well, you're a son of a bitch.

Gordon stares, stands, and slaps him.

Gordon: That's my momma you're talking about.

(b*at)

Anyway. This demon tells me there are soldiers to fight in this coming w*r. Humans, fighting on hell's side. You believe that? I mean, they're psychics, so they're not exactly pure humans, but still. What kind of worthless scumbag have you got to be to turn against your own race?

(Dean glares)

But you know the biggest kick in the ass? This demon said I knew one of them. Our very own Sammy Winchester.

Dean: (Chuckles)

Oh, this is a whole new level of moronic, even for you.

Gordon: Yeah? Come on, Dean. I know. About Sam's visions. I know everything.

Dean: Really? Because a demon told you?

(laughs)

Yeah, and it wasn't lying.

Gordon: Hey, Dean. I'm not some reckless yahoo, okay? I did my homework. Made damn sure it was true. Look, you've got your Roadhouse connections, I got mine. It's how I found Sammy in the first place.

(he crosses to the corner and sits)

About a month ago I found another one of these freaks here in town. He could deep-fry a person just by touching them.

Dean: Yeah, did he k*ll anyone?

Gordon: Well, besides Mr. Tinkles the cat? No. But he was working up to it. They're all going to be K*llers, Dean. We've got to take them all out. And that means Sammy too.

(he cocks the r*fle)

Dean: You think Sam's stupid enough to walk through that front door?

Gordon: No, I don't. Especially since I'm sure you found a way to warn him. Ha. You really think I'm that stupid?

(Dean raises his eyebrows meaningfully; Gordon stands and starts pacing. )

No. Sammy's going to scope the place, see me covering the front door, so he's going to take the back. And when he does he'll hit the tripwire. Then,

(he takes a grenade from his bag)

Boom.

Dean: Sam's not gonna fall for a friggin' tripwire.

Gordon: Maybe you're right. That's why I'll have a second one.

(b*at)

Hey, look. I'm sorry. I wish I didn't have to do this, i really do. But for what it's worth, it'll be quick.

END ACT THREE

ACT FOUR

INT. CABIN - NIGHT

Close sh*t of Gordon setting up the tripwire across the back doorway; he returns to the room where Dean is tied up and straddles a chair.

Dean: Come on, man. I know Sam, better than anyone. He's got more of a conscience than I do, I mean, the guy feels guilty surfing the internet for p*rn.

Gordon: Maybe you're right. But one day he's going to be a monster.

Dean: How? Huh? How's a guy like Sam become a monster?

Gordon: Beats me. But he will.

Dean: No, you don't know that!

Gordon: I'm surprised at you, Dean. Getting all emotional. I'd heard you were more of a professional than this. Look, let's say you were cruising around in that car of yours and, uh, you had Little h*tler riding shotgun, right? Back when he was just some goofy, crappy artist. But you knew what he was going to turn into someday. You'd take him out, no questions, am I right?

Dean: That's not Sam.

Gordon: Yes it is. You just can't see it yet. Dean, it's his destiny. Look, I'm sympathetic. He's your brother, you love the guy. This has got to hurt like hell for you.

(he reaches into his bag and pulls out a scarf, stands)

But here's the thing.

(he gags Dean with the scarf)

It would wreck him. But your dad? If it really came right down to it, he would have had the stones to do the right thing here. But you're telling me you're not the man he is?

Dean glares furiously.

EXT. CABIN - NIGHT

Just like Ava's vision from ACT ONE, Sam approaches the cabin, holding up the sheet of motel stationary. He sees Dean, and Gordon, through the boarded-up window, then runs around back. He tries the door and finds it locked; he pulls out his lockpick and works it open.

INT. CABIN - NIGHT

The clicks from the door can be heard in the front room; Dean looks around wildly.

Gordon: You hear him?

In the back room, Sam gets the door open and creeps in.

Gordon: Here he comes.

Dean flinches helplessly as the first grenade explodes. He screams at Gordon.

Gordon: Hold on. Not yet. Just wait and see.

As the second grenade goes off, Dean struggles violently, choke-sobbing through the gag. Gordon crosses the room and stops beside him.

Gordon: Sorry, Dean.

He goes into the back room, r*fle ready. He sees Sam's smoking boots on the ground, just like in the vision; he smiles but is still wary. As he turns away from the back door, Sam raises a g*n to the back of Gordon's head and cocks it.

Sam: (low, warning)

Drop the g*n.

Gordon: Shouldn't take your shoes off around here. You might get tetanus.

Sam: (shouting)

Put it down now!

In the front room, Dean turns, hearing Sam's voice, and grunts in relief. Out back, Gordon slowly lowers the r*fle to the floor.

Gordon: You wouldn't sh**t me, would you, Sammy? Because your brother, he thinks you're some kind of saint.

Sam: Yeah? Well, I wouldn't be so sure.

Gordon: See, that's what I said.

He turns quickly, knocking the g*n out of Sam's hand and attacking him methodically until he goes down. In the front room, Dean hears the scuffle and struggles against the ropes. Out back, Gordon slowly approaches Sam, who's flat on his back, coughing. Gordon pulls out his Kn*fe.

Gordon: You're no better than the filthy things you hunt.

As Gordon raises the Kn*fe, Sam lashes out, flipping Gordon over. He punches him twice, then grabs the r*fle and points it at his head.

Gordon: Do it. Do it! Show your brother the k*ller you really are, Sammy.

Sam hesitates, then slams the butt of the r*fle into Gordon's head, knocking him out.

Sam: (fuming)

It's Sam.

INT. CABIN (FRONT ROOM) - NIGHT

Sam shuffles exhaustedly into the room where Dean is tied up; Dean struggles and grunts as he watches Sam approach. Sam claps him on the shoulder as he kneels beside him, untying the ropes. Dean pulls off his own gag frantically, then pulls Sam up to standing. He cups his hand around Sam's neck, staring at him, and Sam claps a hand to Dean's shoulder. Dean pushes away and begins to stagger towards the back room.

Dean: That son of a . . .

Sam: Dean. No.

Dean: I let him live once, I'm not making the Same mistake twice.

Sam: Trust me. Gordon's taken care of. Come on.

He reaches out and fists Dean's jacket, pulling him towards the front door.

EXT. CABIN - NIGHT

Sam and Dean walk down the steps from the cabin and away from it; moments later Gordon emerges, a g*n in each hand, and begins f*ring. They duck and run for cover.

Dean: Come on! You call this taken care of?

(They dive into a ditch by the side of the road and huddle, watching him approach.)

What the hell are we doing?

Sam: Just trust me on this, all right?

As Gordon approaches, three police cars, sirens blaring, pull into the clearing and surround Gordon. Cops emerge, weapons ready.

Cop 1: Drop your weapons, get down on your knees!

Cop 2: Do it, now!

Sam and Dean grin at each other as Gordon drops to his knees.

Cop 2: Put your hands on your head. Easy now.

The cop cuffs Gordon and pats him down, then leads him to a squad car. Another opens the back door of Gordon's red car and pulls out the weapons rack.

Sam: Anonymous tip.

Dean: You're a fine upstanding citizen, Sam.

END ACT FOUR

ACT FIVE

EXT. HARVELLE's ROADHOUSE - NIGHT

Inside, Ellen is on the phone, talking to Dean and keeping her voice down.

Ellen: Gordon Walker was hunting Sam?

EXT. ROAD - NIGHT

Dean: (on the phone)

Yeah, he almost k*lled us both because somebody over there can't keep their friggin' mouth shut.

Ellen: And you honestly think that it was me? Or Ash? Or Jo? No way.

Dean: Well, who else knows about Sam? Huh? I mean, you must have been talking to somebody.

Ellen: Hey, you can say a lot of things about us. But we are not disloyal. And we're not stupid. We haven't breathed a word of this.

Dean: Gordon said he had Roadhouse connections, Ellen.

Ellen: And this roadhouse is full of other hunters. They're all smart. They're good trackers. Each of them with their own patterns and connections. Look, hell, I could name twelve of them right now that are capable of putting this together.

(sighs)

I am sorry about what happened, Dean. But I can't control these people. Or what they choose to believe.

EXT. ROAD - NIGHT

Dean is driving; Sam is talking on his phone.

Sam: Hey, Ava, it's Sam, again. Um, call me when you get this, just want to make sure you got home okay. All right. Bye.

Dean: Everything all right?

Sam: Yeah, I hope so.

Dean: Well, Gordon should be reaching for the soap for the next few years at least.

Sam: Yeah. If they pin Scott Carey's m*rder on him. And if he doesn't bust out.

Dean: Dude, you ever take off like that again . . .

Sam: What? You'll k*ll me?

Dean: That is so not funny.

Sam: (laughs)

All right. All right. So where to next, then?

Dean: One word: Amsterdam.

Sam: Dean!

Dean: Come on, man, I hear the coffeeshops don't even serve coffee.

Sam: I'm not just gonna ditch the job.

Dean: Screw the job. Screw it, man, I'm sick of the job anyway. I mean, we don't get paid, we don't get thanked. The only thing we get is bad luck.

Sam: Well, come on, dude, you're a hunter. I mean, it's what you were meant to do.

Dean: Oh, I wasn't meant to do anything, I don't believe in that destiny crap.

Sam: You mean you don't believe in my destiny.

Dean: Yeah, whatever.

Sam: Look, Dean, I've tried running before. I mean, I ran all the way to California and look what happened. You can't run from this. And you can't protect me.

Dean: I can try.

Sam: (quietly)

Thanks for that.

(Dean nods)

Look, Dean, I'm gonna keep hunting. I mean, whatever is coming, I'm taking it head-on; so if you really want to watch my back, then I guess you're gonna have to stick around.

Dean: Bitch.

Sam: Jerk.

They both grin; after a b*at, Sam frowns and picks up his phone again.

Dean: You calling that Ava girl again? You sweet on her or something?

Sam: She's engaged, Dean.

Dean: So? What's the point in saving the world if you can't get a little nookie once in a while, huh?

(Sam hangs up, scowling in thought)

What?

Sam: Just a feeling. How far is it to Peoria?

EXT. Ava WILSON's HOUSE - NIGHT

Sam and Dean do their breaking and entering thing, with flashlights.

Sam: Hello? Is anybody home?

They go into the bedroom to find Ava's fiance dead, face-up on the bed; his shirt and the sheets are soaked in blood.

Sam: Oh my god.

Dean runs a finger along the windowsill, staring at the powdery substance collected there.

Dean: Hey. Sulfur. Demon's been here.

Sam sees something on the floor and kneels, picking it up. It is Ava's engagement ring.

Sam: (shocked)

Ava!

END EPISODE

transcribed by gelasius 01/12/07